6.5

1. Dec 29, 2011
    Interesting idea, disappointing result. I was ecstatic when I read that this game was "turn-based." I thought it would like a traditional turn-based RPG. No. You select weapons and point them downrange, then in real-time your characters shoot while enemies advance, leaving you to strafe up and down the screen to avoid incoming fire. As you strafe, your line of fire moves with you. ThisInteresting idea, disappointing result. I was ecstatic when I read that this game was "turn-based." I thought it would like a traditional turn-based RPG. No. You select weapons and point them downrange, then in real-time your characters shoot while enemies advance, leaving you to strafe up and down the screen to avoid incoming fire. As you strafe, your line of fire moves with you. This might be ok if you could time when your character fires, but between dodging incoming fire and trying to keep track of moving enemies there is simply more luck involved in this game than strategy. Expand
  2. Nov 20, 2013
    Okay, this is officially an anti-recommendation… The Random Encounter was released to promote Serious Sam 3, fair enough… Unfortunately it’s truly awful… Serious Sam as an RPG should just not have been attempted! He doesn't suit the format; the game isn't fun and of course being a turn based RPG makes game-play rapidly slow, Serious Sam should not be seriously slow… This is a short game ofOkay, this is officially an anti-recommendation… The Random Encounter was released to promote Serious Sam 3, fair enough… Unfortunately it’s truly awful… Serious Sam as an RPG should just not have been attempted! He doesn't suit the format; the game isn't fun and of course being a turn based RPG makes game-play rapidly slow, Serious Sam should not be seriously slow… This is a short game of nine levels, it’s safe to say I didn't (or couldn't) attempt to complete this as it just didn't grab me in any way! People who enjoy RPG’s may perhaps enjoy this title; but it’s pretty much choose a gun pick a direction or distance and select “OK”. Expand
  3. Jun 22, 2016
    A novel idea to turn Serious Sam into a SNES-style turn-based RPG is marred with game-breaking bugs and completely unbalanced difficulty. I couldn't get more then an hour or two into it before being completely unable to progress.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Mar 22, 2012
    Interesting retro action with a satirical touch is damaged by rapidly emerging stereotypical playability. [March 2012]
  2. Dec 7, 2011
    While the game itself isn't bad so to speak, it does get repetitive kind of quickly. It's an interesting concept, and I am a huge fan of 16-bit games, especially RPGs, but the short length of the game and the repetitiveness of the battles is kind of a let down for me.
  3. Nov 17, 2011
    The Random Encounter makes for a short game, but an extremely enjoyable one, the two-hour campaign providing you with plenty of hectic victories and glorious defeats. It also leaves you with an Endless Mode, some lovely pixelated memories, and that warm feeling that only comes from seeing something very new built from ideas that are very, very old.