Shadowrun Returns PC

7.4

1. Jul 26, 2013
    The game is great if our materialistic "me" society hasn't damaged you. It's linear. It doesn't have great graphics. It uses a checkpoint system. Somebody mentioned losing 30 minutes due to the checkpoint system. i call BS on that. If it takes you 30 minutes to redo something you just completed you are doing it on purpose. 10 minutes, tops.

There is a tool set. I was under the

There is a tool set. I was under the impression from the get go that the campaign was going to be a teaser and the real game would involve user generated content. Thus it was delivered.

I don't care for the lack of options in the options menu, I would have liked to see some key bindings. It sits at a 7.7 and I think it's deserving of that. If you don't like retro style games, turn based combat, linear story lines then I wouldn't suggest this game. I'm 30 years old, this game really brings me back and I'm loving it. If you happen to have played the snes Shadowrun title and you enjoyed that you'll definitely enjoy this as well.
  2. Jul 26, 2013
    Pros: The setting. The noir-ish writing. Multiple solutions to many of the encounters. The combat is quite fun, if a bit simple. The potential of user-generated content.
    Cons: The save system checkpoints are hard to accept in a PC RPG. The RPG systems seem a bit lite.
    Conclusion: For the price, Shadowrun Returns is a great value.
  3. Jul 25, 2013
    As a Shadowrun player I had a lot of high hopes going into this game. But they do deliver. One thing lacking is multiplayer, which hopefully will come soon enough. The graphic design isn't the top of its class but more than expected. The simple, yet advanced gameplay mixed with an in depth story line keeps you on point. Difficulty isn't to complex but does grow with the character.As a Shadowrun player I had a lot of high hopes going into this game. But they do deliver. One thing lacking is multiplayer, which hopefully will come soon enough. The graphic design isn't the top of its class but more than expected. The simple, yet advanced gameplay mixed with an in depth story line keeps you on point. Difficulty isn't to complex but does grow with the character. If you've never played an actual game of Shadowrun you may be disappointed. If you have, well this might be the game for you. Expand
  4. Jul 25, 2013
    Great retro style pc game. Very good tactical combat, classic shadow run style leveling system. What i dislike the the lack of a save feature, you have to rely on auto saves at checkpoints, and i find that annoying.

Otherwise its a great game.
  5. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is wonderful for anyone who appreciates a good story in a game: fans of the old classic Fallout games will love this. I've been playing all night and its 6:30am now and I can't wait to get back in to the game. The story is incredibly interesting and the characters are very well designed. there is a mix of humor and suspense, the visuals are awesome and the music is top notch.This game is wonderful for anyone who appreciates a good story in a game: fans of the old classic Fallout games will love this. I've been playing all night and its 6:30am now and I can't wait to get back in to the game. The story is incredibly interesting and the characters are very well designed. there is a mix of humor and suspense, the visuals are awesome and the music is top notch. The devs set out to make a game about what shadowrun is about: immersion and story. if your version of a good game is action and ironsights move elsewhere: this is a thinking mans game.

the reason it gets a 9 and not a 10 is it has a few flaws: the equipment/magic screen is terrible: you need to visit a shop to equip and unequip weapons and spells. This is especially jarring for spellcasters like shamans. Shamans are supposed to learn their spells from their mentor spirits, not from the quick-e-mart!
  6. Jul 25, 2013
    I have a real soft spot for turn based RPG games. The addition of the XCOM style cover system and the dark art theme brought this game to a level I didn't expect. II look forward to the community content and I hope this game has a very long life.

*** I wish people wouldn't tank game scores by giving games a zero. Do you really see the game as a zero? Did you dislike it that much?
  7. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is everything we were promised and more. Can't wait for the Berlin expansion and more campaigns to come. As the guy who made Shadowrun Identity: Life on a Limb, I encourage you all to play user-generated content (UGC), submit bug reports on shadowrun.com and join our team of dedicated GMs at shadowrunidentity.org to help create a 100+ hour community campaign. Peace, chummers!
  8. Jul 25, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this game. It seems like a lot of people are eager to judge it based on expectations for a baldur's gate like game, a skyrim like game, or other things that just seem completely off.

To me, it feels closer in combat to xcom or fallout. I was worried it was too complex to get into but have already started digging it I meant to start out making a samuri decker, but just through the skill system ended up making a pistol toting shaman and have loved finding spirits to summon in my surroundings. It's rare that a game gets me out of my intentions and it feels like the system itself is shaping my experience. I like the sound a lot, I like the character's quips, and I'm brought back to fond memories of the SNES game. Anyway, check it out for yourself.
  9. Jul 25, 2013
    This game delivered exactly what it advertised it would. A spiritual successor to the SNES game, and it stays true to the pnp lore and a bit of the gameplay. Nice customization, and a fair story for $20. Add on the ability to create content, and this is one hell of a deal.
  10. Jul 25, 2013
    An absolute triumph of great design and overwhelming developer passion, Shadowrun Returns is at long last a worthy successor to it's predecessors on the SNES and Genesis/Megadrive, and a proud representation of the classic tabletop game.

Graphically, the game is luscious and stays utterly true to it's source material. Most impressive is the diversity of the classes in terms of gameplay. The matrix hacking element of the game flows naturally into the game, offering a spin on the gameplay which is a welcome distraction. Magic has been overhauled; no longer is playing a Shaman a chore.

The turn based system just works perfectly. Comparisons to X-Com are bound to occur, and they are justified to an extent, but it isn't a carbon copy of the system as it adds very definite Shadowrun only elements to it.

Another definitive Shadowrun feature is the Karma system of development. For this game, the Karma system lends itself to the RPG aspects of the title, forcing you to do good deeds to gain rewards. Whilst on paper this seems like a forced method of levelling, in practice it does well as it prevents the all-out turn based grind towards completion and compels you to explore the detailed world, held together by a spellbinding steampunk inspired soundtrack.

The core game is a bit on the easy side, and it is short (the £15 shelf tag highlights this lack of depth, but it's the perfect price point). That said, it isn't difficult to see how much this game is going to be built upon by a rabid fan base who have been baying for this game since the 90s. Six months from now, this game could easily have another 100+ hours of gameplay built on it by modders and the joyous thing is that the diversity and enjoyment of the game means that those 100 hours will be well spent indeed.

Shadowrunners everywhere, eradicate all memories of that woeful FPS offering that broke our hearts several years ago, get out your credsticks and buy this game because finally we've got the game we've been waiting for.
  11. Jul 25, 2013
    An amazing game living up to the Shadowrun name. If you weren't a fan of the series before you should be now. Beautiful artwork and great tactical strategy elements mixed with true Shadowrun RPG style. Also the ability to create your own complete runs adds INFINITE possibilities.

This game has SERIOUS superior re-playability
  12. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a great throwback to isometric RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The released module's storyline is interesting, and offers a fair amount of replayability through different class/skill loadouts or dialogue choices. Combat is engaging, and plays similar to the recently released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which in my book isn't a bad thing. Many of the systems in ReturnsShadowrun Returns is a great throwback to isometric RPGs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate. The released module's storyline is interesting, and offers a fair amount of replayability through different class/skill loadouts or dialogue choices. Combat is engaging, and plays similar to the recently released XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which in my book isn't a bad thing. Many of the systems in Returns are also very similar to pen and paper Shadowrun. A couple valid complaints that can be leveled at SR are that it has a checkpoint save system, and it is a bit combat centric, though the latter can easily be avoided in future modules. Anyway, what's been released so far is well worth the $20 admission fee, and the user-made content being generated guarantees SR a place on my hard drive for a long time to come. Expand
  13. Jul 25, 2013
    One of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Shadowrun Returns is what it is, unabashedly a throw back jam to the good ole' days. It's locations and characters are so enthralling, however, that I found myself getting giddy at the mere thought of expandable content down the road. THis first installment seemed to be a crash course in Shadowrun, and I feel likeOne of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had in a long time. Shadowrun Returns is what it is, unabashedly a throw back jam to the good ole' days. It's locations and characters are so enthralling, however, that I found myself getting giddy at the mere thought of expandable content down the road. THis first installment seemed to be a crash course in Shadowrun, and I feel like theres much more to come Expand
  14. Jul 25, 2013
    It will take you back to the 80's when games made you think. Yes you read ALOT and the story is heavy if you decide to take in all the information given. The atmosphere is simply amazing. With simple stylized graphics that would make any cyberpunk fan happy. It is Bladerunner and Dungeons & Dragons rolled into one sexy low priced package. If you played the Super Nintendo Shadowrun youIt will take you back to the 80's when games made you think. Yes you read ALOT and the story is heavy if you decide to take in all the information given. The atmosphere is simply amazing. With simple stylized graphics that would make any cyberpunk fan happy. It is Bladerunner and Dungeons & Dragons rolled into one sexy low priced package. If you played the Super Nintendo Shadowrun you will be very happy. This game is not for everyone but if you want something different then this is for you. I really wish more games were made like this, its very very rare to see a gem like this. With user generated content and campaigns, the replay value is limitless. Expand
  15. Jul 25, 2013
    i really liked the old snes shadowrun,ive read some books and i m glad that they made shadowrun Returns.
    it s a unique Setting and fun to Play but you will have to read allot and the save system is not for everyone.
    i love this game so far we will see if Players will Keep the game alive with new content.
  16. Jul 25, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is exactly what it is meant the be: The ultimate cyberpunk RPG maker tool kit. This is less a game and more a 20 dollar version of RPG Maker that is geared to make Shadowrun games. Considering that RPG Maker VX Ace is a 50 dollar program and you have to do all the programming, this toolkit is amazing. It's also integrated seamlessly into the steam workshop and there isShadowrun Returns is exactly what it is meant the be: The ultimate cyberpunk RPG maker tool kit. This is less a game and more a 20 dollar version of RPG Maker that is geared to make Shadowrun games. Considering that RPG Maker VX Ace is a 50 dollar program and you have to do all the programming, this toolkit is amazing. It's also integrated seamlessly into the steam workshop and there is already a community driven effort to recreate all the classic modules via the editor. BEST THING EVER! Expand
  17. Jul 25, 2013
    Finally, a real quality old school RPG.

Crazy good story, Very fun and addictive gameplay, Character customization is awesome and easy. The game offer a good overall quality. This game prove something, Gameplay and story matter more than Special effect and eye candies. I hope to see more of that kind of game. I'm waiting for wastelands 2 and planescape, I hope they will be as
    Finally, a real quality old school RPG.

The game offer a good overall quality.

I hope to see more of that kind of game. I'm waiting for wastelands 2 and planescape, I hope they will be as good at this one.

Finally, if you like games like the old Fallout series. This game is a must to buy.
  18. Aug 5, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this game even though others complain that the game is too linear. I love games with a great story line and for me, it's doing just that. It's pulling me in with a very "who-done-it" murder mystery and allowing me to fill in the blanks with multiple conversation choices. The side quests are great too, which add little tidbits to the current quest you're trying toI'm really enjoying this game even though others complain that the game is too linear. I love games with a great story line and for me, it's doing just that. It's pulling me in with a very "who-done-it" murder mystery and allowing me to fill in the blanks with multiple conversation choices. The side quests are great too, which add little tidbits to the current quest you're trying to complete.

Some of the things I love about this game, right off the bat, creating my character. Spending karma points seemed a bit daunting at first but then loved the way they built the skill tree like structure. Once I took a minute to study how it worked, it made so much sense and seemed natural. You want better melee skills, well you better be strong first. The other item I enjoyed is the art style used to create the game. The like camera angle and point-click was a great way to interact with the game. What I also like about the game is that anyone can make their own Shadowrun and present it to the world as user created content to get even more use out of the game.

The only two negative things for me so far are is that it's linear (but this is only a small complaint in my book) and the lack of save feature. The only way to save is via the auto-save at the start of each level. I must have had to restart the 3rd chapter 3-4 times before I finally had enough time to get past a stuck point and move on with the story line.

All in all, I gave the game a 9/10 due to the lack of saving any time or a better auto-save feature. It's still a great game regardless of this point and anyone that loves a RPG/Strategy game will be sure to love this, especially with the fantasy/sci-fi blend it presents.
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    Solid turn-based combat in a game that seems to have payed much attention to detail and world building. Every character you talk to has a good paragraph or two describing them, and you really feel like you're soaking in the atmosphere when you play. I was new to the shadowrun universe and quite enjoyed the unique vernacular of the world, as well, which did even more to suck me in. It'sSolid turn-based combat in a game that seems to have payed much attention to detail and world building. Every character you talk to has a good paragraph or two describing them, and you really feel like you're soaking in the atmosphere when you play. I was new to the shadowrun universe and quite enjoyed the unique vernacular of the world, as well, which did even more to suck me in. It's strange for me to say this, but the highlight of this game really was the conversations for me and not what most people would consider the core gameplay, that being the combat. The environments also look quite nice and suit their setting well, and I was surprised to find I actually liked the 3D character in a 2D world look the game had going for it, which I really didn't expect. There are definitely some problems with this game, though.

There is no save function. Not just no quicksave function. There's no manual save function at all. Everything saves by autosave which doesn't even happen that frequently, so if you're not marathoning this game in a day or two like I did, expect to have to redo small pieces. I don't know who decided that was a good idea for a PC RPG, but they're a real ****

The music can get pretty repetitive when you're in combat and doesn't seem to change a lot, though it works well for atmosphere when out of combat. I also had some small bugs, such as the text tree under a NPC's conversation with me being invisible until I scrolled my mouse over it, but nothing too serious. The story also gets a little silly by the end, but it seems to acknowledge it which kind of makes it hard to criticize. Probably my biggest gripe, though, is how linear the game is. There are a handful (and that's being generous) of sidequests, and besides that all you can do is continue along the path set out for you. That isn't always a bad thing, but with the setting this game lays out, I feel like I'd really enjoy being able to go out and explore the environment a little more.

I'd definitely recommend this game for people who enjoy cyberpunk books or media, or who have previously enjoyed the shadowrun universe. It's a thoroughly enjoyable entry into that unfortunately underutilized genre in games, if you can get over the trifling problems.
  20. Aug 5, 2013
    A wonderful game all around. Captures the feel of the game and several old video games. I've played through the game and the interface is very clean. I'm glad that the crowd source worked for them.
  21. Mar 21, 2014
    Would have given the game a 10 except for the very short length of the main story. Regardless, it was a lot of fun to play through and I've done so more than 4 times with different characters.
  22. Apr 25, 2014
    I've always loved the Shadowrun universe since playing it on pen and paper back in the day. This game stays true. Well designed and written. I'm a big fan of the series.
  23. Jan 3, 2014
    Shadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usuallyShadowrun returns is a good game, in the spirit of old RPG's. Graphics are so pretty and combat is very tactical (is a shame enemies in normal mode are too easy, but that's probably to avoid troll younger players). The story is fluid enough to keep you in the trail. With time, the game is going better and better. I don't complain about the Autosave, that's part of the game and you usually will not die so it is not that bad, but, even when I know a RPG is not a Sandbox, the campaign could give us more choices, I mainly missed a MAP, so you could move through the city. Some interface choices are bad too, like that avoiding you change your equipment until you buy something or reach your locker. In the end, the game is more enjoyable than a lot of big titles out there and it deserves everyone in RPG or Tactical mood gives it a chance. Expand
  24. Oct 10, 2013
    Amazing game. I didn't play the original game (in fact I didn't even know anything about it 'till I played this one). The first few seconds I was skeptical about me really getting to play the game 'cause of the very retro artstyle and high emphasis on reading and reading and reading more texts...

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did. This game has the

But then I just decided to give it a chance... and boy am I glad I did.
    This game has the soul that games like FF7 had. It has a lot of charisma in it and how the universe, the story, the soundtrack (AMAZING) and the design become one and sucks you right in all the way to the end make this game outstanding.

It's not perfect tho, you seem to be able to make a lot of decisions but it's all a lie, almost nothing you choose to do actually change anything in the game.
    And at some point I got a bug that froze the mission and got me stuck to the point I had to load an earlier save, like some script wouldn't happen or something... and that's a bad thing.

Other than that, it's one of those ''special games'', I really liked it.
  25. Aug 2, 2013
    The main Shadowrun campaign has taken a lot of hostility for not being open world enough or as endlessly branching as other traditional tactical RGPs, however this is, perhaps, missing the point. The campaign serves as an introduction to the mechanics and the core concepts of the world whilst keeping to a small, tightly woven narrative and for the most part, it achieves this, despiteThe main Shadowrun campaign has taken a lot of hostility for not being open world enough or as endlessly branching as other traditional tactical RGPs, however this is, perhaps, missing the point. The campaign serves as an introduction to the mechanics and the core concepts of the world whilst keeping to a small, tightly woven narrative and for the most part, it achieves this, despite resorting to leading players by the nose.
    Playing through the first hour and beyond, it feels as if harebrained schemes had the intention of creating a vast open world and aborted their effort early on in order to focus on the story editor.
    This means that while the main campaign doesn't fully explore its multitude of good ideas (ie; making creative use of the matrix/ exploring the many cultures, groups and factions), the editor seems versatile enough to allow to players to do that themselves.
    Having toyed around with the editor, I see no reason why open world, branching stories won't become available in the near future.
    Conversation branches are reasonably easy to create, as are convincing hand drawn locations. Given a little creativity on the community's part, Shadowrun may soon balloon with deep, engaging stories that go beyond the main campaign.
  26. Aug 10, 2013
    A solid, old-school tactical RPG that stays true to its source material and remains fun to play on followup character builds. SRR is very obviously a work in progress, with the scope hopefully widening considerably in the upcoming Berlin expansion. The editor is going to be its ace-in-the-hole, with user content building an effectively infinite number of 'runs for players to explore.A solid, old-school tactical RPG that stays true to its source material and remains fun to play on followup character builds. SRR is very obviously a work in progress, with the scope hopefully widening considerably in the upcoming Berlin expansion. The editor is going to be its ace-in-the-hole, with user content building an effectively infinite number of 'runs for players to explore. This'll be a good one.
    Oh, and to offer a counterpoint I actually appreciated the lack of an on-demand save feature. It required a little thought and care not to get killed. And your biggest setback was maybe 20 minutes of play, if that.
  27. Aug 3, 2013
    What an astonishingly fun game! It's simple, it's unpretentious, and it'll keep you playing...and playing...and playing. It's easily the best turn-based tactical game of the last two years for me.

I came into it knowing that the default adventure, Dead Man's Switch, was only one of countless adventures that were already in the works. Sure, it's a bit linear, but it's pure Shadowrun, and it comes with all the options. You want your own custom character portrait? There's a way to do that. You want a particular piece of cyberware? It's probably there. You like player hideouts? There's one of those.

If you don't end up liking Dead Man's Switch, remember that so many more adventures are in the works, including tons of 2nd Edition adventures already being made for the game, courtesy of a group called Shadowrun Identity.

For such a versatile blast of a game, the price tag isn't bad either.
  28. Aug 7, 2013
    Just finished the game; Overall I enjoyed the experience quite a bit. The main campaign that comes with the game "Dead Man's Switch" runs about 12 or so hours. I truly enjoyed the game's story and tactical combat; however in my opinion only Hard and Very Hard difficulties offer any challenge. So here are some Pros and Cons:

Pros: - Great Storyline - Good atmosphere - Tactical

Pros:
    - Great Storyline
    - Good atmosphere
    - Tactical Combat (on Hard or Very Hard)
    - Pretty Solid Dialog

Cons:
    - No Save Game; only checkpoint save (Modders have already figured out how to change this)
    - Very Linear
    - Lack of dialog consequences; Need to believe that dialog options matter
  29. Aug 7, 2013
    I actually never played any Shadowrun games before this, but it reminded me of many other games I loved and played all the time when growing up. After playing through Deadman's Switch I have to say this game is absolutely fantastic!
    Where do I begin? The art and the detail in each area and character is very nice, the rules are sleek and easy to learn (though at first I was a bit intimidated coming into a ruleset I had no prior experience with). The combat system flows great, it really keeps your interest. The writing is amazing, it feels like I am reading a good novel at times. On top of it all the music is sleek and fitting to the cyberpunk setting.

I do have a few complaints, I did find some bugs, while not game breaking, they were an annoyance for a bit. And while the character development is solid for most of the characters that are a part of the story, I really wish I could interact more with the runners I hire, a one sentence description of the character does not do them justice.

Because of this game I am looking into playing the Pen and Paper Shadowrun as well. Overall I would highly recommend this game to anyone that enjoyed games such as Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights (if you love user made campaigns), or XCOM.
  30. BFP
    Jul 26, 2013
    An amazing game with a few flaws in it.
    - Yes, there is no "save-anywhere" feature, but it doesn't hinder gameplay all that much (except for the obsessive-compulsive among us). Considering most areas of the main campaign are easy to a fault (more on that later), its not that big of a deal.
    - Yes, you have unlimited ammo. However, you still have to reload, which can take up an action. -
    An amazing game with a few flaws in it.
    - Yes, its quite linear to play through, but I suspect this was done to keep the focus upon the story, and things will really open up in a couple of months once the community has played with the level editor.
    - No mode selection; game seems to be stuck on Easy for the most part.
    -- If anything, my two biggest complaints are:
    A) Its too easy for the most part I hardly ever died or needed to push a lot of tactics into what should have been a tactical turn-based RPG;
    B) there's still quite a few glitches and annoying parts here and there (enemy AI spazing out, walking into a room only to accidentally trigger a cutscene and get stuck out in the open, etc).

Now let's look at the good.
    + The art design. Characters are not all that well-detailed, but are distinct enough to easily tell them apart. In contrast, the world is well-detailed in a 2D isometric perspective and almost beautiful in its filthiness.
    + The characters. Although there is no voice acting in this game, all of the main characters have a distinct feel to them how they dress, how they talk, etc. Even the fellow 'Runners you recruit as hired muscle have their own feel. And the humor some bring to the table may not have had me on the ground laughing, but it definitely brought out a chuckle when one was sorely needed.
    + The combat. Its beauty is in its simplicity; every action can be pulled out at a whim, and there are multiple paths that the Player can take. The races don't feel all that different (besides different stat/skill caps and maybe some dialogue), but each of the different classes has their own feel.
    + Distinct classes. Each of the classes has its own play style and feel to them; Mages & Shamans bring down magical destruction upon their foes and support their allies, Street Samurai wield gun and blade in equal measure, Adepts use their life force to smash opponents into submission, Riggers use drones to fight for them, and and Deckers use technology to jack into the matrix, turning machines against their masters.

And with the promise of an avid community willing to mod the living hell out of SRR, things couldn't look brighter. Granted, the game isn't for everyone, and its obvious that Hairbrained Schemes was pressed to release the game on-time, but despite its flaws there is a lot to look forward to you could certainly waste $20 on far WORSE things nowadays.

Bottom line: Its functional, fun, and short the campaign is only about 12 hours long, but its at least going tto be a memorable 12 hours.
  31. Aug 8, 2013
    Amazing game, really well designed great dialogues, music, and best of all combat system Xcom style. And infinite number of missions thanks to the user generated content. I like it more than fallout or skyrim I can't really put it down
  32. Aug 4, 2013
    Great dialogue, engaging characters, a cohesive expanding storyline and all the cyberpunk trimmings done right. Be forewarned that saves are checkpoint based, but thankfully, you can always "rewind" to a previous checkpoint to reassess earlier decisions.
  33. Aug 6, 2013
    I'll keep it short. Jordan and his team are actually revived Shadowrun. I've got exactly what I almost lost any hope of getting mission-based role-playing game with the heavy emphasis on the story, stylish 2D visuals and involved turn-based combat. Actually, if you're a fan of the franchise, you should stop reading my pathetic review right now and get this game. Yes. Do that. For anyI'll keep it short. Jordan and his team are actually revived Shadowrun. I've got exactly what I almost lost any hope of getting mission-based role-playing game with the heavy emphasis on the story, stylish 2D visuals and involved turn-based combat. Actually, if you're a fan of the franchise, you should stop reading my pathetic review right now and get this game. Yes. Do that. For any other old school folks that are still looking back to the "good old days" when Fallout, X-COM or Jagged Alliance have eaten most of your school homework time, this game will be awesome modernized throwback to the stuff you've been missing. And, please, don't let me started on the "reboot well-known franchise from the days gone by as a FPS" trend, just roll Spoony's Betrayal music video instead Is the end result perfect? No. I would like more Mr. Johnson missions, more gear, more well-written dialogues, more item and interior description goodness, more shots of the rain-soaked Seattle. But, you know what, the end result is still awesome. Well, I better stop here. Just the day before the game was finally released, Jordan have posted video on the project website, where he and the team thanked everyone who supported, waited and believed. Now I want to return my gratitude. Jordan, Harebrained Schemes, thank you for creating this game. Logging out. Expand
  34. Jul 26, 2013
    A nice tactical RPG with excellent music and backgrounds. The character animations aren't great (though not terrible either) and there is a complete lack of any voice acting, but overall the story is very enjoyable and the dialogue is well written.

More side quests would be excellent, and we will probably see a healthy modding community start building many side quests either as extensions of the main game or as their own stories. The character customization and loot are fairly simplistic, and the interface seems like it really had tablets in mind (good if you're playing on a tablet, so-so if you're on a PC). Loot from enemies would have been an excellent addition, even if much of it were just fenced for extra Nuyen.

One very poor design choice was to make saving only occur between "levels" or the loading of new maps. A save state during gameplay would have made much more sense, and for those who feel like that's cheating to constantly reload to attempt something difficult they could have included a "hardcore" more in which death is permanent and a complete replay of the game/level is required.

For the price ($20 at launch) this is a pretty good game, certainly no AAA title but enough to keep me entertained and excited to see what the modding community comes up with, which will probably end up being as good or better than the main campaign, which I only wish were a bit longer and had significantly more side quests and exploration instead of railroaded 99% of the time.
  35. Jul 26, 2013
    I'd been looking forward to Shadowrun Returns since first hearing about it's kickstarter and waited and waited. Now that it's a reality, I am quite pleased. First and foremost, my favorite thing is the atmosphere and world creation. SR does an incredible job of realizing the world of Shadowrun. It takes no time to treat you like an ignoramus and paints a natural picture of the world youI'd been looking forward to Shadowrun Returns since first hearing about it's kickstarter and waited and waited. Now that it's a reality, I am quite pleased. First and foremost, my favorite thing is the atmosphere and world creation. SR does an incredible job of realizing the world of Shadowrun. It takes no time to treat you like an ignoramus and paints a natural picture of the world you occupy. Hearing casual talk about magic and trolls in an environment occupied by machine guns is refreshing. This makes way for a fantastic and well written story that feels a bit noirish, with your main character acting a bit like a detective. The primary tale has you trying to solve the murder of a friend whose pre-recorded a message asking you to find his killer, with a handsome reward waiting.

The game opens with a customization that makes you feel as though you've just delved into the PnP RPG of yore. You can customize your character, picking from several different and distinct fantasy races. You then can use Karma points to upgrade your character and build them as you see fit, whether it's a deckker built for hacking computer systems, a shaman specializing in magic and healing, or a street samurai, specializing in combat. My own personal tastes had me create an elven street samurai gifted with natural charisma.

Gameplay is comparable to last years Xcom, where you and up to three other runners, which are made up of important story characters or ones you hire. Once in combat, you have several option to choose from, between close and ranged weapons combat, magic, healing, movement, and so on. The gameplay is fairly simple, though strategy can be complex. You will across an assortment of enemies, and will have to play intelligently to keep your characters from dying.

However, combat is only one aspect of gameplay. You will come across other problems you will have to solve, such as navigating conversations and investigations. While the story is fairly straight forward, how you get from point A to point B is up to you. Examples include fighting, complying with, or bribing characters to have your way. Multiple choices in this game are less about multiple reactions and more about picking the best solution that suits you. In my case, my highly charismatic elf is gifted at talking his way into getting what he wants, though he also specializes in combat.

Maybe the best part of SR is the map/game builder. You have all the tools you need to create your own chapter in the Shadowrun saga. It goes a long way to making the game completely worthwhile and having long lasting value. And in case you might think it's overpriced, the game is only about $20, and it's worth every penny. For any fan of the older games, this is very much a worthy game to the title it holds.
  36. Jul 26, 2013
    Good game with few minor (at least for me) issues. Personally I like the checkpoint system so I can`t just reload when something goes wrong.

Inventory system seems little simple & could use more stuff for people who like to LOOT everything =P
  37. Jul 27, 2013
    I've been waiting countless years for this game. I grew up on the SEGA Shadowrun, one of my favorite games of all time and it is against this that I will judge Shadowrun returns. I'm going to be harsher on it than I like, but it's tough love.

Positives 1. Art-style. Absolutely love it. All the tilesets and graphics perfectly encapsulate the cyberpunk feel. 2. Character

Positives
    2. Character generation/RPG system. Very familiar. Different enough to be fresh to Shadowrun veterans, yet familiar enough to feel comfortable.
    3. Good weapon selection, but I don't like the tiered structure where the expensive version is simply the better one.
    4. Main campaign had a good story and is a great primer for those who don't know what the Shadowrun universe has to offer.
    5. Available classes/make your own class. I think that was well done and offers a fair bit of replayability.
    6. Editor vastly increases replayability and really lets the community express itself. I'll reiterate that this is the major strength of the game.
    7. The soundtrack is great.

Negatives :
    1. No save system. I personally haven't had as big of an issue with this as other people have, but I can see how this is an issue. Personally, I've found the save system keeps me honest since I'll usually save/reload during critical points of the game, sometimes to pursue different roleplaying choices. However...
    2. No impact of choices. I have not yet seen how my dialogue choices or any choices have made a difference in anything. SEGA SR suffered from the same ill, but this is something that only affects the default campaign and can be remedied in user campaigns.
    3. ***Lack of sandbox-style/non-linear gameplay*** This is my biggest issue as I was hoping to be plopped into a living, breathing Seattle. Naturally, I knew this was the case from the trailers, but I'll still complain about it since I think the SEGA SR really had it right with the non-linear gameplay.
    4. No weapons modifications. Not a surprise as I kept up with HBS snippets about SR, but still, I enjoyed pimping my gat on the SEGA game and thoroughly enjoy it on the PnP RPG as there are limitless options for customizing your weapon of choice.
    5. No martial arts system. I'm glad hand to hand is an option, but I hope in the future we'll be able to pick martial arts and maybe even have a few animations for different martial arts styles. The walk up and punch in the face gets a little old. However, this is just like the SEGA game so I can't come down too hard.
    6. More outfits needed.
    7. Persistent Shadowrunner companions. I loved hiring the diminutive rat-shaman Ricky and forging him into an extremely inexpensive to hire rat-Gandalf. There was also a hint of personality and backstory to each runner you could hire in the SEGA game and I'm extremely disappointed that that didn't really make it into SR.
    8. Need Cyberspurs.
    9. ***Loot drops and scoring gear*** This is a big issue that I feel needs to be seriously addressed. What fun is there running against megacorps if you can't steal any of their 1337 gear?
    10. Need Heavy weapons.

Conclusion At $20, this is a great buy. While my socks are not blown off by this revival, I feel like the game contains much of what I wanted to see again in a Shadowrun revival, but skimps on some aspects concerning non-linearity and customization. The editor is a huge boost, however, as I'm a Shadowrun GM and thoroughly enjoy crafting my own campaigns for others to enjoy/hate. Shadowrun Returns is a very solid base game that the community will make into a great game.
  38. Jul 27, 2013
    SRR: Why Shadowrun Returns is a huge step forward Objective Review from a non-fan )

I don't usually review games, and am not even that much of a Shadowrun fan, but since there has been a huge spam of extremist opinions around here and steam, I figured it could turn off potential future players based on uninformed reviews. English isn't my first language, hopefully that shouldn't taint my take on this. Well then, Shadowrun Returns, should you buy it or not?

I never played the Pen and Paper game, or even the SNES version I got stuck with Sega Master System for years Regardless, I do have PnP experience with games like D&D and Cyberpunk2020, etc. Don't let that intimidate you, none of this should condition your enjoyment of ShadowRun Returns and I'll tell you why.
    Last year, I got introduced to ShadowRun by former SR writer Peter Taylor who works near my college, he was hinting me on how to improve my writing, and on ocasion we talked about PnPs and eventually dragged the chat to MMORPGs, and how Computer Games always fell short of mirroring the experience you got from PnPs.
    PnPs, where adventures were crafted by Game or Dungeon Masters specially for that bunch of players in the group, where a mighty Dragon was slain by a party of four heroes whose paths happened to cross and lead to glory, the Dragon is vanquished and never again spreads it's vile aura over the world. While on the virtual world, a respawning Dragon is butchered every 15 minutes by incoming hordes of players, who then scavenge the corpse to show off a Dragon Armor that thousands of others already have, while the Dragon in question is actually still rolling and getting it's handed to it in a perpetual Respawn-Get beaten-Die cycle. Most MMORPGs have partial solutions of these things like World Changing Expansions and whatnot )

Maybe it will never be possible to truly mimick that side of the PnPs, the strong point, and probably the reason why I ever played any, now that I think of it. In the end, it is this experience that ShadowRun Returns is working on. While I don't believe you have to be a veteren PnP gamer or hardcore this or that to enjoy it, it helps to make your decision to know what exactly is SRR doing here, and in the end, why it's doing it. I'll dive into some subjectivity now and say that it's a good take on the PnP whole thing, being closer than any game got so far while simultaneously still a long way from achieving it, but walking down the right path.

I can imagine how the whole making the player a possible game master thing is risky in SRR, but it's the kind of risky it takes to get closer to a PnP experience in a computer. All of this, assuming it is this you are looking for, is the reason why you should look into SRR.

If it's not this what you are looking for (understandable since there aren't that many PnP fans anymore) then it's possible you won't enjoy this game, or at least not the way it was made to be enjoyed.

Lastly I'm leaving my personal opinion on the game. I'm not actually a ShadowRun fan, but I found in SRR what I was expecting when I prepurchased the game, I can see some questionable points, like the checkpoint save system which will be very inconvenient to some, that's a given. I for one, am OK with it, it does drag a save for long periods sometimes, but most of the times it let's you play in small bits and leave, which feels a bit like sitting in a table with a GM and friends and waiting to finish a fight or get to a tavern or area to call it a day so you don't have to record fighting data like whose turn it is first next session who has what buff or debuff, etc etc, Ironically sort of the same reason why it happens in SRR even though it's something a computer should fix, but I digress Other than that I enjoyed the story very much, mostly for how it was written, less for the plot. The play style is a bit linear, in much the same way that a PnP GM would craft an adventure for a particular session, and everything would revolve around that adventure, although you could always try to find ways to get off the rail and the GM would either improvise or put all his efforts into barring your way, and Improvising is something computers can't do yet not the same way a human GM can and so SRR may feel a bit linear at times, though it is possible to have more freedom in SRR if a campaign is made more "open wordly".

I give SRR a solid 9/10, taken that this is the sort of experience you're looking to support, otherwise, there are games out there more fitting to your tastes and whims.
  39. Jul 31, 2013
    J'ai terminé le scénario de base et je suis pleinement satisfait. L'univers est fidèle 100% au jdr éponyme et le game play est simple et efficace. Graphiquement, ça a son charme et l'immersion reste bonne.

Le point fort du jeu reste la richesse du background et du scénar' proposé. Certes, j'ai cartonné tout ça en un week-end mais le plaisir était là du début la fin. Ca m'a même reboosté pour relancer des parties de Shadowrun sur table. :-)

J'espère vraiment que la communauté de joueurs sera active et produira des choses de qualité. Il y a énormément de potentiel pour faire de ce jeu un "classique" increvable tant le nombre de possibilités de scénars et de suites est élevé! Tout comme il est possible que ça ne tourne rien si les scénars de la communauté: a) ne respectent pas l'univers ou partent dans le délire complet, b) ne sont que de simples excuses pour de la fight.

Ce n'est pas gagné d'avance... l'univers est complexe, même quand on maîtrise déjà la version papier du jeu. L'éditeur de contenu demande un temps d'apprentissage certain si on veut faire quelque chose d'intéressant. A mon avis, rares seront les gens qui iront jusqu'au bout de la démarche.

Perso, je suis chaud pour apporter ma contribution la communauté et je garde espoir de voir apparaitre de bonnes surprises dans les prochains mois.
  40. Jul 27, 2013
    I have been waiting 15 intense months for this game- and I am having a blast. The dialogue is excellent and very Fallout-esque (Fallout 1 & 2) and brings companions and even "merchants" to live. The Shadowrun narrative is woven into the whole storyline and not just the topping, but a foundation of this game.
    The best and most important feature for me has been the Editor though! I've spent quite some time creating content and experimenting with triggers and found ways to do many things others marked as impossible.
    Every fan of creative narrative, cRPG's, UserCreatedContent & diverse tactical combat should give this game the chance it deserves!
  41. Jul 28, 2013
    A solid tactical combat system, a great initial story that grabs you from the off. The real strength of the game is the infinite possibilities from player made content and campaigns like Shadow run Identity. Yes it has some frustrations like the save system but I believe the positives and the potential far outweigh the problems.
  42. Jul 28, 2013
    a great bit nostalgia, everything about the game reminds me of the Shadowrun pen and paper game. my only problem with it is with the auto save function although it could be better it has yet to cause me any real issue's. in all I feel like they did a great job this game!
  43. Jul 26, 2013
    While I would actually rate the game around a 7.5/8, I have to give it a 10 because in now way, shape or form does this game even come close to deserving the 0's or 1's that some people are giving it, crying about the fact that there isn't any voice over's and that they have to read the text, along with a bunch of ridiculous nit picking such as infinite ammo and the whole 4 typo's in theWhile I would actually rate the game around a 7.5/8, I have to give it a 10 because in now way, shape or form does this game even come close to deserving the 0's or 1's that some people are giving it, crying about the fact that there isn't any voice over's and that they have to read the text, along with a bunch of ridiculous nit picking such as infinite ammo and the whole 4 typo's in the game's dialogue.

Pros )
    + Great story that start's off small and continues to escalate the duration of the game. Sure there aren't any branching path's and blah blah cry whine but it doesn't need them. The people who hated the story I'm sure don't like to read. It's not a slam, but just because words bore you to death doesn't mean this game deserves to get plunked with your 0 rating.
    + Customization; You base your character off one of 6 Archetypes during creation but after that your free to add skill points to whatever you see fit; Need a little extra firepower while your Mage's spells are on cool down? Throw some point's into ranged combat and pick up a shotgun. Your also given a decent amount of choices for the actual look of your character so I have no idea why people are crying about it like they expected Bethesda level options.
    +Combat is fun, simple but fun. Besides the fact that you pump so many shots out during a fight that ammo management would ruin and bog down every fight, this game is meant to focus on the story. It's built with the mindset of an old school table top RPG and with only having 4 runners per mission, doesn't want you to get bogged down 1/4 through a fight with Doug our ranged weapon master ran out of ammo...guess hes just gonna punch stuff for the rest of the fight?". The different classes all offer a WIDE amount of options as to what they can take and as I said earlier, when it comes to your character you can make them as focuses or well rounded as you'd like I played through with a Troll Physical Adept that learned a little magic on the side but was also willing to risk getting some cyber implants to toughen him up, even if it raised the CD on his spells. Threw some points into ranged combat and picked him up a shotty after awhile and suddenly I realized I was playing MY character. )
    +Editor; It's overwhelming the stuff you can do, it really is. I think people are forgetting about this feature being in the game entirely. The campaign is 12 hours of "You can make and use ALL of these resources", a real sampler platter.
    +Graphics: I loved the look of this game. It's fantastic, simply fantastic. How anyone could complain about the look of this game, coupled with it's musical score is mind boggling. Again, I don't know what people, especially those that Kickstarted the game, were expecting...It's an updated version in the same vein as the SNES game. I loved every detail, every gritty street with sheets of paper breezing through, the bright neon lights casting an errie glow of salvation over a desolate and torn from the inside city on it's last breath. It felt like I was there.

Cons )
    - The Save Feature: This is the major gripe I, and many others, are having with the game and It really is a valid point. Considering that some scenes take around 30-45min, not being able to save whenever and losing all that progress is ridiculous. The dev's really dropped the ball on this one and it's something that I hope gets fixed in a future patch. If not, it's going to be the major thing that keeps this game's score low and player's uninterested. I can only assume that Flash Saves aren't in the game because like many are saying it's coming to iOS and you don't need to save a game on your iPad really, just exit back to the Home screen and the game sits in stasis until your ready. But after being one of the highest Kick Starter's in history it's hard to understand why flash saves couldn't be put into the game.
    -The Hit Chance in Combat: This was the only real glaring flaw with the game. I don't know how many times I had my entire team of runners fire everything they had into an enemy that they all had an 83% chance to hit and completely whiff. Likewise, I would sometime's ending hitting more frequently on enemies that had a 23% hit chance. It might just be my bad luck but after awhile I just started to ignore the Hit% and just assumed every shot in the game was 50/50.
    -Weapon/Spell options; I know I said earlier that there was a wealth of options in the game, and there is, but it is lacking in some areas. Newer weapons feel like upgraded versions of what's already for sale and it takes a lot of the uniqueness away from your arsenal. Hopefully in the future more options come into the fold so having SMG A really feels different than having SMG B, but right now it's just slightely irritating, though it doesn't detract from the fun.

All in all, this game is great. My personal score would be a 9.5 as I really enjoyed it, but taking a step back and looking at it for what it is, I would give it an 8.
  44. Jul 26, 2013
    Great game, well worth the price.

Given the limited budget, time and low price you get an excellent Shadowrun game. It has all the feel of the old NES one, fantastic music and beautiful backgrounds, the writing is mostly good to very good and skills, choices, personality all matter and affect what happens. The combat is somewhat limited but still fun and has a *ton* of options for
    Great game, well worth the price.

The combat is somewhat limited but still fun and has a *ton* of options for you to choose from in regards to how your character engages enemies, the option to create your own 'class' is brilliant and if you always wanted a Mage who dabbled in decking or a Rigger who could kick ass with his mystical powers... you can create it, anything goes pretty much, whilst any mix of cyberware and magic will be limited by essence usage you always have the *option* to do so which is great.

The story is definitely rather linear but that doesn't detract from it at all, the locations are gorgeous, searching and exploring is rewarded, as is tactical use of cover in combat.

Overall well worth buying in my opinion, oh, but definitely play it on hard or very hard if you want a challenge, normal is a bit too easy for any veteran of rpgs.
  45. Jul 26, 2013
    Game overall is very fun to play. The only thing that bothers me is the no loot drops. Items you get seem to only come from vendors. As you raise more karma, better items will be available in the shops. Some reviews i can agree with while others are are just plain written by kids that think they deserve more for donating 5 bucks or 15 bucks to a kickstarter campaign.

1) The UI.

1) The UI. Yes. The user interface is optimized for play on touch screen devices. This doesn't bother me as much as most of the other players that gave it a low score just because of this. I think its just sleek and stream lined, and you can still do everything you need to do.

2) Autosave. Yes you can't save the game anywhere you want. Would you really want that though? If the game let you save anywhere you want, you would easily explore all dialogue choices on the first playthrough. That ruins the game in my opinion. Having a save point you can go to (camp) might have been better, but not really necessary.

3) Walls of Text. Yes, there is alot of reading in this game. Ever since SWTOR intorduced 100% voiced missions, everyone's expectations are 'if there is any kind of reading, it sucks' But in my opinion, the emotes in the dialogue add a genuine glimpse into the situation you would otherwise miss if it was just bad voice acting.

4) Linear gameplay. The campaign that came with release is pretty darn linear. Nomatter what choices you make, you always end up with the same dialogue in the end. Your choices only impact wether you get to the end faster or not.

I havn't gone on any shadow runs just yet. Been sticking to the storyline mostly, but i feel like the game lacks that free open world feeling that Genesis and SNES versions of Shadowrun had. You enter an instance of a zone, click on everything that has an icon over it, and you're pretty much certain theres nothing else to find in the area. I havn't finished the campaign yet but thats the feeling im looking for. Will do another review when i finish the first campaign.
  46. Jul 26, 2013
    awesome game. got more than what i figured would be put out with the game. can't wait to finish it. love the combat systems. love the fact that they added an option to create my own campaigns
  47. Jul 29, 2013
    Hoi Chummers!

The name of the game is Shadowrun Returns. Playing the game lives up to its name in lore, dialogue, imagery, atmosphere, music and fun! It has technical issues that we all know will be fixed/patched/updated/ and feature-added within a few months, and it already has fantastic looking & playable user-generated content. To be clear, I'm not glossing over the issues of the
    Hoi Chummers!

To be clear, I'm not glossing over the issues of the day-1 launch. I can see the forest through the trees and I LOVE this game for the experience I'm having playing it, caveats and all. Ranking it down would be a disservice to my own enjoyment and other gamers that might be dissuaded from experiencing how much fun this game is now or in a few weeks/months, and not to mention the programmers that have been, and still are chugging away at making Shadowrun Returns even better.

Unless you don't like tactical, turn-based RPG's, don't enjoy the thematic elements of a Shadowrun title, or two sentences is TL;DR for you, then Shadowrun Returns is an AWESOME game, which I am thrilled to have backed and supported. It will only get better from here. For the enjoyment I'm getting out of Shadowrun Returns now, and the bright, better future I see for it in the near, and distant future, this game is unquestionably a TEN!

I'm voting on what Shadowrun Returns is to me. You're welcome to disagree, but wisdom says it's heading towards becoming an exceptionally beloved, well polished classic, and hopefully indie Game of the Year, in the Year of Shadowrun! ^_^

For the disbelievers who have issues with specific features, like the saves...once those features are updated to your satisfaction, which I believe they will be, will you even come back to amend your reviews, or leave a negative impact on a wonderful indie title for all time? Please think about it.

Ja Mata! And I look forward 'ta runnin the Shadows with you Chummers!

-UGEplex
    'Juz ah nutha Unexplained Genetic Expression in da 'plex
  48. Jul 28, 2013
    This game has managed to capture the awesome mixture of High Fantasy, Cyber Punk, and Dystopian future masterfully. It is definitely true to the spirit of Shadowrun. Right off the bat, the initial story campaign oozes with atmosphere and flavor for the setting that helps suck you in to the setting.

On top of this, they've included a pretty powerful editor that allows for users to create their own stories, which several have already been released by the community! There is currently debate between whether the original campaign or the most recent release has a better story :-p, which is an awesome 'problem' to have.
  49. Jul 31, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is really a great game. That means if you are the right generation for it. While I personally love the isometric background consisting of handdrawn elements, I do understand that this might go against the current taste of time where RPGs like Skyrim are available. Me, being grown up with BG and Fallout, I definitely can feel the 2D charme.
    What can not be shown in engine
    What can not be shown in engine is described in well written text before you enter a scene or while communicating with NPCs.
    All in all It's a bit like a interactive book (coming from P&P I presume this is the intention) of course you have to like such things. If you expect effects and super-spectacular action you probably won't be happy with this game.
    However, if you like P&P and the great shadowrun setting, this game is for you. Especially, since a very comfortable and easy understandable editor allows the users to create their own campaigns and stories (in as much detail as the developer since it's the same editor they used). A big pro here is, that the main campaign is included as sources and can be loaded in the editor to get a good idea how things work.

Well long story short:
    -> I love it, P&P and oldschool CRPG fans will probably love it.
    -> People needing 3D graphic and its effects or don't like reading text are better off not touching this gem

PRO:
    + Beautiful 2D background
    + Nicely written story for the main campaign
    + Great Setting
    + Powerful Editor
    + Already quite some user generated content available
    + Neat Soundtrack fitting to the setting

CON:
    - Animations are not really nice looking or smooth
    - Sound effects miss variation and quality
    - no voice actors
  50. Jul 30, 2013
    amazing game, alot better then the sega and snes game the autosave makes it more fun to actually use skill and not try something stupid die n then reload
  51. omi
    Jul 30, 2013
    Nice game and concept.
    what I like:
    1) story 2) graphics 3) variety of choices in character creation and development. What I don't like: 1) too short. (finished in 3 days, about 20h) 2) too easy battle. overpowered skills. ranged is too overpowered compared to others. 3) not much side quests, small world, repeated graphics. 4) no voice acting. I would definitely pay for a dlc
    Nice game and concept.
    what I like:
    1) story
    2) graphics
    3) variety of choices in character creation and development.
    What I don't like:
    1) too short. (finished in 3 days, about 20h)
    3) not much side quests, small world, repeated graphics.
    4) no voice acting.

I would definitely pay for a dlc including a longer campaign with some voice acting.
  52. Jul 30, 2013
    So I'm minutes after completing Dead Man's Switch and it was a great experience! Enjoyable storyline, great game mechanics and overall very addictive if turn based combat combined with the allure of the Shadowrun world interests you. Right away you can see the potential this game has with future content created by either HBS or us gameplayers.

People complain about the lack of save

People complain about the lack of save points but I think it is unfair criticism- the game would be far too easy if you had the ability to save within checkpoints. In other words, this game has a "Demon/Dark Souls" like difficulty to it if you don't know what you're doing. If your computer crashes- well suck it up and try it again.

I am going to try my hand with the content editor. Looking very forward to seeing what new content people can come up with!
  53. Jul 31, 2013
    The story, the grit, the humor and going "back" to 2054 with the original creators and writers of the game made for a fun gaming binge. Could not stop playing until the first campaign is over.

Writing is excellent. The atmosphere and the setting are spot on. Game mechanics are on the easy side (there is a setting that makes the game harder but it's not obvious, you have to go find

Writing is excellent. The atmosphere and the setting are spot on.

Game mechanics are on the easy side (there is a setting that makes the game harder but it's not obvious, you have to go find it in the options). They simplified a lot of things from the original books, so it's not a 1 to 1 rule adaptation of the table top game. It's close to second edition, but not really.

If you liked X-com, you'll like this. If you liked second edition Shadowrun, but house ruled your setting to hell, you'll like this too. Can't wait for the Berlin campaign and user generated content the editor looks excellent.
  54. Aug 1, 2013
    Good game, not great, but good.
    Pros:
    -Atmosphere
    -Dialogues
    -Story
    -Visual style
    -Turn-Based Combat
    -Price
    -Setting
    I'd say that this game reminded me of first Fallout, I mean the overall feel.
  55. Jul 31, 2013
    As an avid Shadowrun fan, I was psyched when I heard about the kickstarter for Shadowrun Returns. I immediately backed it and kept careful track of the progress. Based on some of the design decisions and the concept art, I was initially concerned. My worry proved to be unfounded though. When I first opened Dead Man's Switch I was immediately pleased with the depth of detail in story andAs an avid Shadowrun fan, I was psyched when I heard about the kickstarter for Shadowrun Returns. I immediately backed it and kept careful track of the progress. Based on some of the design decisions and the concept art, I was initially concerned. My worry proved to be unfounded though. When I first opened Dead Man's Switch I was immediately pleased with the depth of detail in story and graphics.

It does a respectable job of emulating the pen and paper game feeling. There is room for improvement, and I certainly hope some of the issues are addressed in the future, but there is enough variety for you to at least customize a character to reflect you (combat) style. Lacking stealth is a particularly strong drawback. So is the way social skills like negotiation and con are replaced with etiquette, but a smart modder can work around that and present an experience which will tailor to your needs.

Which brings me to my next point, the editor. Say what you will about the main story, give it a couple months and it won't matter. The game comes with the same editor the developers used to make the game. Based on the community, you can expect some amazing modules to come and I look forward to them in the future! As for the main game, I enjoyed it even though it was fairly linear. It had the feeling of playing shadowrun at a gaming convention, you needed to follow a set script, but there was a decent story to back it up.

I do need to mention two major flaws as well, ammo and the lack of save points. One of the key "rules" for Shadowrun has always been "Conserve Ammo" but that's not an issue here. You have unlimited ammo, all you need to do is occasionally reload. Also, you need to load a new scene to save, which is a major headache (avoidable through properly designed modules).

Overall though, I am happy with Shadowrun Returns. If you are an avid fan, get it. If you are a casual gamer, do your research first. This game is not made by a major studio, you cannot hold it to the same standards as you would something from EA Games. If you want voice acting, amazing graphics, and more options than you can imagine, this is not for you. If you are willing to give the little guy a chance, and want the feeling of playing Shadowrun with your friends, then you will probably be pleased with what you get. At the very least its the based Shadowrun game out there currently.
  56. Jul 30, 2013
    I have to admit that I am an RPG gamer of old and remember the likes of Fallout and Baldur's Gate very fondly and this brought the memory of those games flooding back.

It has a compelling film noir style story set in a steam punk world which really steals the show. It kept me engaged and interested through the approximately 10 hour game time. The script is enjoyable and there were some characters I would love to have more time to get to know (particularly Mr Kluwe). The dialogue reminded me of fellow indie game Gunpoint, which is no bad thing.

If there was one negative it would be the save system. It's a bit loose and hard to really grasp where the game saved. That said, I played through the whole thing in two days so not much need for saving really.

Overall, highly recommended and one of the most enjoyable games I've played in some time.
  57. Aug 25, 2013
    It's a very good game, that brings back unique RPG mixing science and magic in dark futuristic setting. Shadowrun Returns is a worthy successor to it's predecessors with very fun and addictive gameplay.
  58. Sep 22, 2013
    10/10 that is my valuation. For an independent, Kickstarter-based game, it is a pure gem. The story is really involving, the mood is amazing, and of course the game-mechanics are also well-defined. It could be polished here-and-there, the graphics/animations could be better, some bugs were also present (not game breaking), but overall in its category this game is simply outstanding. I10/10 that is my valuation. For an independent, Kickstarter-based game, it is a pure gem. The story is really involving, the mood is amazing, and of course the game-mechanics are also well-defined. It could be polished here-and-there, the graphics/animations could be better, some bugs were also present (not game breaking), but overall in its category this game is simply outstanding. I recommend it to everybody, who loves cyberpunk, RPGs, turn-based strategy... Thank you, Harebrained Schemes (and Jordan Weisman) for creating this thrilling world+journey for me to escape everydays for a few days and nights:))) Expand
  59. Aug 7, 2013
    Bought this out of nostalgia for my younger years, where i was a spotty teenager waiting for my dad to return from a trip over sea's and he had promised to bring a couple of books back if i had been good for my mum while he was gone.
    The book he brought back was Never deal with a Dragon, that was the point when i first encountered the Shadowrun Universe and I loved reading about it.

Unfortunately my mates didn't Fancy Shadowrun the Rpg. So my experiences were limited to the Books.

When this came out i cynically looked at the screen shots and thought wtf in a day and age when we have big budget games with Graphics like The Witcher and Oblivion why would anyone want to play that Donkey Poo.

However over the next couple of weeks it kept playing on my mind how much i had enjoyed the books and maybe i was missing a trick as with review around 75% on metcaritic it couldn't be that bad.

So i took the plunge,

Wow am i glad i did The game has obviously been crafted by enthusiasts who really believed in the project and i only found how the game came in to existence with Kickstarter afterwards.

The games made the years fall away in my mind and all of a sudden i was Big-G the Assault Rifle Wielding Street Samurai Kicking out Licks and smacking down with impunity .

The story line was lovingly crafted and kept my entertained from its inception to its dramatic conclusion.

Now i am going to replay through as one of the other builds and may even step into the user created content as every one says this will be where lots of hidden gems are going to be over the coming months.

So in summary for the price of £15 i had a thoroughly entertaining time and loved every minute of it.

Can you now please hurry up with Berlin as Cyber-G wants to come and show how he dominates the Matrix
  60. Aug 11, 2013
    I love this game. At first the combat mechanics and significant text threw me off, but I love the Shadowrun universe, and this game quickly won me over. With dozens of user generated addons already in their infancy, this game has tremendous replay value outside of the main quest. The team that created the game and main quest are also creating a new campaign, which should be fantastic.
  61. Aug 25, 2013
    Love it. Been waiting for a modern Shadowrun game for ages. The campaign they give you was entertaining and a decent intro to what the editor is capable of. There are people making noise because they didn't care for the campaign that came with it and there are not a lot user-generated campaigns to play yet. What the game editor is capable of is very much worth being a little patient andLove it. Been waiting for a modern Shadowrun game for ages. The campaign they give you was entertaining and a decent intro to what the editor is capable of. There are people making noise because they didn't care for the campaign that came with it and there are not a lot user-generated campaigns to play yet. What the game editor is capable of is very much worth being a little patient and worth tinkering with yourself. Expand
  62. Aug 31, 2013
    This is a fantastic game, It feels like a classic Table Top game, If you like RPG Table Top this is without a doubt the game for you, it's also Punk ^_^ who doesn't like PUNK!! great game keep it coming.
  63. Aug 4, 2013
    Great storytelling and visual atmosphere. Background graphics are sharp and simple, whereas character graphics are a bit dated. Overall a great old-school Shadowrun experience.
  64. Nov 10, 2013
    Not many hardcore RPGs are made nowadays. I've spent nice time playing this game. However, I think that the ending in main campaign was incomplete. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I had this feeling that it could have been something more. Though, the game all in all was fun to play, you always can try campaigns made by others and the game reminded me of first & second Fallout, whichNot many hardcore RPGs are made nowadays. I've spent nice time playing this game. However, I think that the ending in main campaign was incomplete. I'm not going to spoil anything, but I had this feeling that it could have been something more. Though, the game all in all was fun to play, you always can try campaigns made by others and the game reminded me of first & second Fallout, which I'm going to play again. Dear God, I love RPGs! Expand
  65. Aug 16, 2013
    Love the setting, love the look, love the gameplay. My only complaints are that its a little short and a little buggy. Neither of which should put you off snapping it up. Its well worth your time & money.

Plus with the Berlin expansion and community created content I reckon there's a lot of mileage left.
  66. Aug 9, 2013
    This was the first "major" kickstarter campaign I funded that came to fruition, and the first one where I can honestly say "money well invested".
    For it's limited budget and short development time, the game delivers exactly what it intended to. Solid, old school roleplaying in a well-loved setting. It catches the atmosphere and the "feel" of the universe just perfectly IMO. The graphic style and looks are superb for me.
    The initial campaign is short, but very well done. It has a wonderful "detective noir" flair in the first act, many references for old shadowrun players and readers, and some pretty interesting battles, none of which feel like filler material just there to increase game time. The second act is a bit more linear, but still well written and with some very satisfying runs.
    The tactical turn-based combat is interesting, though not perfect yet, but it beats most modern RPG hackfests hands down. The interface is a bit too "tablet style" for my taste, as is the inventory system.
    The save game system is bad, no doubt about that. At least a "save on exit" option badly needs to be implemented, as some checkpoint are *very* far from each other.
    The campaign is pretty short (about 12 hours for a thorough playthrough), but I take quality over quantity any time. And I still get the Berlin campaign in October. :-)
    All in all, I'd rate it a 7, and add an extra point for the editor, that has already yielded a few short but interesting user made runs, and for the upcoming Berlin Campaign that I'm really looking forward for.
  67. Oct 28, 2013
    A very good game the first time through the mechanics are interesting, the story is both intelligible and engaging, while the numerous characters if somewhat shallow are engaging.
    The second time through however is where it slips, as you'll find your choices have no real impact on the story and as a result there's very little variation it quickly becomes dull.
    Your 'personality' is only
    Your 'personality' is only what you interpret it to be, if you're rude to npcs it won't impact any conversation tree.
    Overall a very fun game but for re-playability you'll have to look to either expansions or community mods.
  68. Oct 6, 2013
    Great tactic rpg in fantastic Shadowrun universe. Nice hero making possibility and without cheating You can really be whatever You want and it is also playable. Making Your own team can easily match the differences between classes. Pity it is not so long, but main plot is quite interesting and barely naive. Game absolutely necessary for every old timer rpg fan. Gameplay is good and quiteGreat tactic rpg in fantastic Shadowrun universe. Nice hero making possibility and without cheating You can really be whatever You want and it is also playable. Making Your own team can easily match the differences between classes. Pity it is not so long, but main plot is quite interesting and barely naive. Game absolutely necessary for every old timer rpg fan. Gameplay is good and quite rich. Graphics are great flowing in good sci-fi climate souse. Expand
  69. Aug 16, 2013
    Not huge, but pretty. Way better than a lot of the other games being offered by kickstarted publishers.

Here is another sentence to get it to 150 characters,
  70. Aug 13, 2013
    A very solid game that echoes of Baldur's Gate 1 and old school console RPG's.

A very solid game that echoes of Baldur's Gate 1 and old school console RPG's.

The checkpoint system may seem intimidating at first, but the game saves after every room so not much time is lost if you die. It actually brings back that sense of tension you get from playing the old console RPG's that isn't as tangible with the save-anywhere system we're all so used to abusing. The game's also pretty forgiving with regards to character building as good tactical play and intelligent item usage can carry you through most situations. So again, the lack of a save-anywhere system doesn't make much of an impact.

The major flaws in the game are its relatively short length and linearity. The linearity of the game is somewhat alleviated by a well-paced narrative, but the length is a sore point as the game seems to end right after you've grown attached to the world and its characters. That said, for a $20 game, 15-20 hours of solid gameplay is very reasonable, and that's not counting the user-generated content.

I came into the experience with a lot of doubts, but after giving the game a chance, I can say I'm fairly impressed. All-in-all, if you appreciate the kind of gameplay that older generations have enjoyed, then don't hesitate and give it a try!
  71. Sep 4, 2013
    I love the Shadowrun world and therefor would have loved to have given this game a 10 but I felt the strategy aspect could have been highlighted a bit better. I've played a ton of strategy games and this didn't really make me stop to think about what I had do to win, just sort of push this way or duck behind that. That being said, the included story has wonderful characters that are reallyI love the Shadowrun world and therefor would have loved to have given this game a 10 but I felt the strategy aspect could have been highlighted a bit better. I've played a ton of strategy games and this didn't really make me stop to think about what I had do to win, just sort of push this way or duck behind that. That being said, the included story has wonderful characters that are really memorable. It's actually more than I expected it to be and (bonus) is true to the Shadowrun canon. The editor, and the user generated content just mean you don't have to stop or play the same story over, over and over again, like most games. Overall, great game with lots of drek to do. Expand
  72. Sep 8, 2013
    Incredible game that is very entertaining with unlimited possibilities for free expansion. The story that comes with the game is written well, is entertaining, and decently long. The game mechanics are very well done and conform to the Shadowrun rule set while still being in the background so it doesn't get in the way or make the game feel limited. The price of the game at 20 bucks isIncredible game that is very entertaining with unlimited possibilities for free expansion. The story that comes with the game is written well, is entertaining, and decently long. The game mechanics are very well done and conform to the Shadowrun rule set while still being in the background so it doesn't get in the way or make the game feel limited. The price of the game at 20 bucks is well worth it, and I applaud the game makers for not trying to gouge loyal fans! I do have a few complaints about the game that stop it from being a perfect 10. 1. The graphics could be a little better, but they aren't horrible for a top down strategy game. 2. The ability to rotate the screen to see different angles would be a welcome addition. Seeing everything in one angle is highly annoying and seems very limited and dated. 3. For the love of God, FIX THE SAVE GAME SYSTEM. This is my biggest complaint. It does not make sense, and seems pointless as you can only load from the start of missions anyway. The "copy" save games is buried in the load game screen for some reason, and it doesn't really even do anything. Either make it more traditional so we can save whenever we want, or make it more user friendly and explain how in the world it's supposed to work! Can't wait for new story content that is complete and works by the community! Expand
  73. Oct 31, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns' Dead Man's Switch will leave a lasting impression similar to the movie Se7en. SRR makes you make some ethical and moral decisions without keeping track of your ‘alignment' like Bioware and Bethesda games do. As a direct result, every single decision you make feel meaningful and not like you're making the “good” or “bad” decision because your character is going to beShadowrun Returns' Dead Man's Switch will leave a lasting impression similar to the movie Se7en. SRR makes you make some ethical and moral decisions without keeping track of your ‘alignment' like Bioware and Bethesda games do. As a direct result, every single decision you make feel meaningful and not like you're making the “good” or “bad” decision because your character is going to be “good” or “bad” for a desired ending or achievement. In my mind SRR has one of the more memorable plots I have played in any video game which is actually assisted by the length of the game. Any game that can be played in a few hardcore gaming sessions will probably leave a better impression on you because you don't feel like there's 40 hours of buildup to an ending or plot twist. Harebrained Schemes decided to name the game Shadowrun Returns, and return Shadowrun has. Expand
  74. Nov 9, 2013
    Quite enjoyable, if unfortunately linear. The original cyberpunk ambience is wonderful, though, and the free-for-all editor with Steam Workshop integration and a big focus on community creations sets it apart.
  75. Nov 26, 2013
    Having played and been a fan of previous Shadowrun titles, and having many fond memories, I found this to be a welcome and long over-due addition to the series. Younger players may not appreciate this very much since this is a game straight out of 1992, but this is exactly the kind of game I wanted from countless titles I've purchased in the past for much more.

Technically speaking, the

Technically speaking, the game doesn't raise any standards, in fact it is a little old-school, but so are its tabletop roleplaying roots. And in the spirit of its table-top predecessors, I think the depth of customization offered is something I've only found in a couple games, ever. A fully featured campaign asset creator.

If you're looking for a game that offers amazing capability in authoring your own turn-based RPG stories and adventures, and don't mind sacrificing a little technical advancement to keep things simple, then this will likely be right up your alley. But don't expect AAA, 200hour, custom physics engine fanciness. Shadowrun Returns is definitely one of my favorite isometric RPGs for PC.
  76. Jul 26, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a fun game that takes you back to the days where the SNES and Genesis versions wowed many of us.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time playing this game. I was never bored reading all the dialogue. Although that was a complaint of a few people (no voice overs). The art is amazingly well done and fits the tone of the mythos of Shadowrun very well. I live in PDX not too far from Seattle and it still felt like I was up there visiting Pike's Place Market and grabbing some seafood near the bay.

This game supports several runthroughs but is very linear in the Dead Man's Switch campaign that's included with the game.

Fortunately there is a powerful editor provided with the game and I look forward to adding my own UGC to the game on Steam's Workshop.

I predict Shadowrun Returns will be like Neverwinter Nights. Endlessly supported by a passionate community.

See you in the Shadows, chummer!
  77. Jul 27, 2013
    Not all will agree with my rating, but let me explain why I am particularly excited to see this game. I will admit, I am a Shadowrun fanboy who has been waiting a long time for a competent reboot of the franchise. I can't overemphasize how exciting it is for a Shadowrun fan to see a franchise once thought dead on the PC return to life.

Shadowrun was a great IP from the late 80s and

Shadowrun was a great IP from the late 80s and early 90s that has largely lapsed for the past 20 years. Many have already mentioned the great Sega and SNES games from this period. There have been good cyperpunk titles since then (Deus Ex comes to mind) but the Shadowrun 'reboot' put out a few years back abysmally disappointing.

What this game does well is capture the spirit and the setting of the Shadowrun universe. I agree that the packaged campaign is short. However, it is well made and enjoyable.

The real proof in the pudding will be whether this game will catch on in the modding community. Games that look a bit rough around the edges (Mount and Blade for example, or the NW nights franchise) can do very well years after their release if they have a dedicated fanbase

In sum, if you have $20 to spare and loved Shadowrun- Buy immediately.
    If you have $20 to spare and loved the Xcom or Fallout 1 and 2 turnbased tactical combat- I strongly suggest you buy

For all others, I think you might like it, but I can't guarantee it. In that case, waiting a few months to see what the modding community does might be the best option.
  78. Jul 26, 2013
    The lack of player controlled save system is the only major downside to this top down turn based rpg.

Hopefully that's something modders can address there is however a charecter importer to bring your avatar into as many player created missions as you want (mod tools included with base game and integrated with the steam workshop) If nothing else this is a solid investment at it's price for what it has the potential to be.
  79. Jul 27, 2013
    Great game, really catching the feel of Shadowrun in general and well worth the 18 euros 20 dollars it costs through steam. There's much love given to people who played the SNES game, maybe to the genesis fans aswell (didn't play the SEGA version myself). Music composers from the SNES and Sega game made some parts of the soundtrack aswell as characters from both game pops in on theGreat game, really catching the feel of Shadowrun in general and well worth the 18 euros 20 dollars it costs through steam. There's much love given to people who played the SNES game, maybe to the genesis fans aswell (didn't play the SEGA version myself). Music composers from the SNES and Sega game made some parts of the soundtrack aswell as characters from both game pops in on the storyline. I'm quite sure that fans of the Shadowrun Universe PnP will like this game, but also fans of the RP genre in general.
    The only downside the game has, is the current save options, I didn't lower the score cause of this, in hope it will be fixed somewhere in the future, or at least be better for the upcoming "Berlin" DLC campaign by Harebrained Schemes.
    Shadowrun community seems to have a good community, which will most likely create some very well written stories through the editor that came with the game which again leaves you with a good opportunity to get even more shadowrun for your money, as well as maybe an even more open world feeling, as the current main campaign is a bit linear. (Berlin campaign is already said to be more open world'ish)
  80. Jul 27, 2013
    Right from the start of playing this game i thoroughly enjoyed it, the game play was great, the music was fantastic, the story line was amazing. Everything about this game i found to be refreshing in the genre and just in general.

My only gripes about the game it self are the sometimes errors when dealing with moving around, where clicking once doesn't always work and you have to find the sweet spot on the map in order to move and the autosave function. Autosave is nice and it requires you to play smart because if you mess up then it's game over and you have to repeat what you just did.

I hope that these guys in the future make better and better story lines surrounded by amazing detail and the ability to get even more into the characters you make.
  81. Jul 26, 2013
    Don't let some of the reviews dissuade you. People who expect everything to be voice acted and hate to read are simply being lazy and missing how the game was actually designed and that was to be built to be easily used as a foundation for users to create their own campaigns within a world they love. Saying that the text is too much to read or the combat is too easy is flat out silly andDon't let some of the reviews dissuade you. People who expect everything to be voice acted and hate to read are simply being lazy and missing how the game was actually designed and that was to be built to be easily used as a foundation for users to create their own campaigns within a world they love. Saying that the text is too much to read or the combat is too easy is flat out silly and shows a poor understanding of the game style and genre.

The art is solid and clean, as is the music. It exists and gives a great feel to the world and the campaign that comes with.

Combat is not very challenging but that may simply be a fault of the included campaign not being designed with difficulty in mind and more a neat showcase with a good story. Players of the tabletop rpg will be at home in the world and system for the most part.

The downsides being that the checkpoint system is annoying but I feel that is mission design more than game itself (as changes to level design and the like could mitigate this)

The shortness of the included campaign might be noted but at the same time there are games put out with higher price tags that provide WAAAAY less content and quality.

So don't let the naysayers get you down, most of those zero reviews and such are from people who want a triple A title from a major studio and instead got a good isometric rpg and don't understand why it isn't what they wanted.
  82. Jul 26, 2013
    A lot of people are noticing what I'm seeing as the major drawing point of this game. The Campaign included with the game purchase is a fun 9 hour introduction into the Shadowrun universe, and it provides a fun way to learn about the universe, the lore, and the combat.

While the combat may not be as polish as others in it genre (Xcom, Jagged alliance, etc.) It does provide a fun and challenging experience that I felt provided an authentic experience. My guns felt like they were doing damage, and my runners were viable no matter the spec.
  83. Jul 25, 2013
    While it isn't the longest game out there, every moment of it is fun and worth the price you'll pay for this little gem (In fact, given the pricing it is quite a steal). While the graphics may not be using the latest tech out there, but they are still pretty decent and quite stylish. They fit the theme perfectly.

Which leads me to another point, the Atmosphere, the graphics, music and

Which leads me to another point, the Atmosphere, the graphics, music and sounds combine perfectly to immerse you in the world of Shadowrun. Add that to the fact that all of the different class are fun to play and offer different ways to solve the quests/situations you'll encounter and you get an awesome replay value from this.

Lets not forget that there is also a level editor which will ensure your investment is a sound one, since buyers shall be getting new campains from the community.

I strongly advise you check this one out
  84. Jul 25, 2013
    My Background:
    My Background:
    I've never played Shadowrun before, neither on pnp nor pc. I'm a great fan of dystopian cyberpunk, but I loathe the idea of elves and other fantasy races in sci-fi. Still, I was hyped and had fairly high hopes for this game because there is a severe lack of good cRPGs these days. Every HBS game I've played before SRR have been pure and utter so while hope where high expectations where low.

Game Mechanics:
    Skills and abilities are somewhat minimalistic for a cRPG, both in number and stated function. They are however to the point and without a huge number of redundant and useless abilities. They are also numerous and deep enough to allow for strategy through character building in a meaningful way. Maybe more meaningful than many games with a more numerous and complex skill-set. This is an achievement from a game-design perspective.

Furthermore they make full use of the skills through dialogue options like Fallout 1 and 2, and planescape: torment. This works really well, even better than in those original titles!

The class-less system works perfectly, unlike many other popular cRPGs.

At a glance the skill-system looks a bit like in the mass effect franchise, while the class-less feature can be compared to the Elder scrolls franchise. Both of them works a lot better in SRR than they do in the two blockbusters!

Gameplay is real-time except for turn-based combat (like in xcom) and dialogue, just like in the first two fallout games. This works well. 2D Graphics put limitations on destruction of scenery, but compared to the gains of using 2D this matters little. There is plenty of object interaction such as looking for clues and analyzing them, hacking computers and security-networks, hacking the internet-like Matrix, finding hidden items and more.

Character Concepts work way better than I could ever imagine. I felt bad chills going down my spine as I realized that my character concept probably worked best as an Elf(!), but decided to try it out regardless. Would I have to endure glittering nail-polish, pouty lips and pink ribbons in my hair? When I found a portrait that looked more like a Necron than an Elf my grin went from one metallic ear to the other. Who would have known that the concept of elf could actually add to the feel of the fiction?!.. I'm amazed!

The Stock Campaign:
    HBS have made a very stylised «Sin City meets Blade Runner -ish» detective/agent story. They have just the right amount and type of clichés to make it work, and every element in the game contributes to this sci-fi noir feel.

Both the characters and dialogue are mature and intelligently made.

Fantastic story with no redundancy. Not once did I ask myself “why the heck am I doing this?!” Not once did I have to run errands to earn xp, or be left with the choice of being either an utter or a charity-running do-gooder. Not once was I forced into a random combat that felt out of place or redundant. It's incredibly liberating to once again play a cRPG that doesn't feel like a slaughterhouse grind. SRR do this better in its stock campaign than even Planescape: Torment did. It's not that you can avoid every combat, but rather that every darnedest one feels will-timed, proper and meaningful.

Graphics:
    2D background is beautiful and well done. Drawback no scenery destruction.
    Character sprites are undefined and ugly, but I find myself not caring much about this.
    Character Profile Pics are maybe the best I've seen in any game.

Champaign Editor:
    Haven't tried it yet, but I'm gonna assume it's at least able to create the stock campaign, in which case it's brilliant compared to anything out there. Can't wait to try out user-created campaigns.

State-of-the-Game:
    The game is quite stable and appears polished for the most part.

Bad Drawbacks:
    Checkpoint based saving This is such a weak and unintelligent solution that really hurts gameplay.
    Pixel-clicking The activation area of sprites in the game are glitchy.

Matters of Taste:
    The game is very linear in the sense that you don't have a choice in where to go next. The areas you move through is in essence a track. However, I'be found that in this game this is a strength, as it helps focus and remove redundancies from the story.

Short Campaign:
    In my opinion a game should not drone on for the sake of adding game-hours. The campaign is compact 12 hours of constant fun. There is more fun baked into SSRs 12 hours than there is spread out amongst DAOs 60 hours or Skyrims 360 hours. Quality is equal to fun divided by time imho.

A Conclution of Paradox:
    The package of SRR as a whole is so powerful that even with the minus 30% from checkpoint-saves, it deserves the very highest score possible. Doesn't mean that it cannot be better, just that even with this glaring flaw it's the very best of it's genre so far.
  85. Jul 27, 2013
    For a game that was built from the ground up on a measly budget, this is a great experience. Most gamers nowadays are spoiled man-children who demand a refund because they didn't get Mass Effect, a game that had well over fifty times SRR's budget.

Most certainly, it's not the best game ever made, but the campaign editor and the expectation of new content and functionality warrant a 9.
  86. Jul 28, 2013
    I am very impressed with this small, indie title. The hand painted scenery is far better then anything I could have hoped for. And the music really brings across a dark techno feel. In essences a recreation of the Nintendo game of the same name, this update's it with "wow" theme and mood.

The game-play is an RPG with a mix of tactical and adventure. The combat is very x-com, but with more open areas at move around in. In between the action is more of a classic point and click adventure mystery. The writing of which is very evocative with it's lavish descriptions. Finally a game written by good writers who can plant a image or emotion in your head.

It is not perfect, but I was not expecting such from a cheap title. Biggest flaw is the save system. Which, as I read, is a issues with the game engine. Not a design choice. Honestly it didn't bother me much. It saves every-time you transition to a new location. And all the old saves are stored. So you can go back. Some other answer would be nice, though the other adventures available already work to address the issue. With new ones in the future looking to finding other answers.

And oh yes, other adventures. The heart of this game is the editor. An editor that is incredibly robust, seconded only by Neverwinter Knights 2. I have only just started poking at it and I am damn impressed with what you can do with it. The ideas percolating around in my head are going to find this editor real fun. The other adventures already released are equally well thought out and really show the promise of what is to come.

The question then is wither it is worth your hard earned $20 for a powerful game editor with a fairly short premade campaign. I can't answer that for you. All I can say is that since getting it, I can't stop playing it. The combination of the art, music with the wildly varying characters you can create for battle in the open, tactical world make this just......addicting. I find this one of the funnest indie titles I have played in a long time.
  87. Jul 26, 2013
    The SNES verion of Shadowrun was a big influence on me. It had a unique noir artstyle, incredible music and I honestly believe it to be the most atmospheric game ever made. More atmospheric than system shcok 2 even. I always wanted a worthy sequel and never thought I'd get one, until yesterday when I played Shadowrun Returns.

Yes its linear, but it is so action packed and the story is

Yes its linear, but it is so action packed and the story is so great that I failed to notice. I couldn't stop playing. Because it has a lot of text rather than voice acting a strong imagination is important. The real gem for me was the combat which is deep, satisfying, and a ton of fun.

Its a worthy successor to the SNES title and that is about the highest praise I could give something.
  88. Jul 29, 2013
    Judging by what they've done so far, I'm quite pleased with what we have right now. I give this game a solid ten because I'm banking on the community turning a good game into a Great game. Gamer created content is going to be the driving force behind this game and it shall bring together a community of like minded individuals to create a cyberpunk world as envisioned by William Gibson andJudging by what they've done so far, I'm quite pleased with what we have right now. I give this game a solid ten because I'm banking on the community turning a good game into a Great game. Gamer created content is going to be the driving force behind this game and it shall bring together a community of like minded individuals to create a cyberpunk world as envisioned by William Gibson and his contemporaries.

I knew what to expect when I bought this game and it has exceeded those expectations. I enjoy it for what it is now and revel in the creative potential of its near future. See you after the next run, chummers.
  89. Jul 25, 2013
    Great plot, great dialogue. It's a short story, but with the promise of community-made stories moving forward it's forgiving.

The gripes with the savepoints is legitimate, though. It's frustrating even in safe houses, when you've dug through a half-dozen pages of dialogue, only to not be able to save and have to re-read them next playthrough. To the Gen-Y kids expecting a sandbox

To the Gen-Y kids expecting a sandbox free-roam action RPG though, good lord. Nobody born in the 80s who enjoyed the SNES/Genesis titles were expecting that sort of game, why were you? Kids today.

Thanks for the great platform, I look forward to a lot of great stories.

Please address the savepoint issues, though.
  90. Jul 26, 2013
    To anyone who loves Shadowrun, this is a GREAT game if for no other reason than they released the Editor with the game. I've already played on two user created adventures.
    The main story is great and has a lot of old favorites making an appearance.
    Plus the price is right. Yes the checkpoint system could have been done better. A lot better. But there is also a lot more to come.
    The main story is great and has a lot of old favorites making an appearance.
    Plus the price is right.

Yes the checkpoint system could have been done better. A lot better.
    But there is also a lot more to come.

Also we still have the Berlin campaign to come.

I've seen people complaining because it wasn't voiced. They were clear early on that they couldn't afford it. I'd rather have two well written campaigns than one with voice.

And it is sad when some people savage a good game because it wasn't exactly what they were expecting. Rate the game on what it tries to do. If it claims to be things it is not or is deeply flawed then give it a zero. But don't give it a zero because it didn't match up with your favorite style of play.

The developers of this game laid out exactly what they were trying to do, gave regular updates, and they delivered to the backers (except for the save system which they explained).

To those that rated this game a zero, you must not have been paying attention.
    There was no bait and switch and it more than delivered on what it promised.
  91. Jul 27, 2013
    This is a amazing game for all new and old Shadowrunner fans out there. This game is a rpg strategy game where the community makes missions/modules. So far there are some good community games and mods, but this game works like how the Elder Scrolls games work. The game is good but if you have a problem with the game then a mod needs to be found or created.

Some problems with the base

Some problems with the base game.
    -There is no quick save, so you will not be able to start back up in a mission if you have to leave. You have to get to a point where the game saves to continue.
    -You don't have to buy ammo for your weapons. Unlimited Ammo
    -There are no drops from dead people (mod to fix that!)
    -The customization made early in your character can be game defining or inconsequential depending on how much experience you get throughout the campaign
    -The tutorial for this game is terrible and you don't know what keys do what. You just know that the mouse works. There aren't great explanations for everything so alot of the time you just have to guess.

There are some great things about this game
    -It is shadowrun and therefore has a amazing setting of a mix of technology and magic set in a cyberpunk dystopian futuristic setting. (See the bottom I explain (gush) more about the setting)
    -There are/will be mods to fix the problems that you have.
    -Combat is simplistic enough to learn, but interesting enough to have strategy
    -The choices you make to improve your character do truly show in how your character plays and show the different classes in shadowrun fairly well. (That is without replicating shadowrun completely)
    -The introduction mission that comes installed with the game introduces you to most of the aspects of shadowrun and (little spoiler) some of the weirdest and scariest stuff/horrors in shadowrun.

I truly think this game is very good and anyone who likes rpgs with a strong story aspect (fluff) would love this game.

Some more info on the setting.
    The setting is a Cyberpunk dystopian futuristic setting with magic. The corporations now run the world and are basically their own counties. Only the rich have a say in the world and the poor are left in the streets dying, without help, and without citizenship. In comes you, a shadowrunner, someone who often is from the poor working your way up talking missions called shadowruns. These shadowruns can be anything from constant combat into a corporation enclave to sneaking in and causing sabotage or misdirection and more. You and your team are a inch from death and are constantly fighting to survive in this harsh place we call a world.
  92. Jul 27, 2013
    I have played the pen and paper version, never did so on any digital format, tried but the arcadish conTROLLs put me off. This game however has given me the sole chance to see the great franchise in a manageable digital form. Sure, the combat system may be a bit rough around the edges (line of sight issues) but it is truly amazing in itself. Heavy inspiration from the books can be sensedI have played the pen and paper version, never did so on any digital format, tried but the arcadish conTROLLs put me off. This game however has given me the sole chance to see the great franchise in a manageable digital form. Sure, the combat system may be a bit rough around the edges (line of sight issues) but it is truly amazing in itself. Heavy inspiration from the books can be sensed in the storytelling, the fact that it manages to capture the most important aspect of shadowrun is just astonishing. You run in the shadows, dodge corporate interests, collect favors and giri for missions to come while maintaining YOUr character as close as you can. GREAT writing, great, thought out story, and immense potential for future storytellers. Love it. So will you if you are not a mass effect/save the universe/destroy the empire kind of zombie. Haven't had so much fun with an cRPG since Fallout 2. Thank you creators, I'm your fan now, anxious to observe your next creation. Expand
  93. Jul 28, 2013
    Turn-based, tactical, silent protagonist (and silent everyone for that matter), relying on text descriptions to provide atmosphere, flavor and nuance...
    if those turn you off, then the game isn't for you. Otherwise you are probably going to love it.
    Some minor glitches (game locked up a few times for me) and the minor annoyance of how saves work keep it from getting a 10. The potential of the editor, however, raises it up from being an 8.

If you like the Shadowrun setting, or you miss how games used to play back in the 80's to 90's (turn-based tactics, getting to create, name, and shape your character without the game giving you some generic name that everyone calls you and a voice making the character not really your own, a clear path and following it being the fun and not a massive "do whatever you like" being the point) and just want some updates for modern technology/ game design to them (smoother running, better animation for the characters and higher resolution of the beautiful "2D" graphics, nice menus and UI), then this game will probably entertain you.
  94. Jul 29, 2013
    As an old Shadowrun fan it was hard to miss that project, if possible at all. But the result kinda surpassed my expectations. I was waiting for a game, but instead I got a construction set based on a setting I like.
    Single player campaign is just a demo, you can remember the same situation in first Neverwinter Nights, where single player (without addons) story line was kinda dull and full of cliche. Yet now we see TONS of user generated content based on NWN.
    So this is how I see SR, a tool to make OUR Shadowrun come to life.
    But that does not mean that I did not like single player, it was truly enjoyable dive into a fantasy cyberpunk, with really nice characters and plot flow.
  95. Jul 26, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns brings the post apocalyptic world of Seattle back to life, brought to you by the people that started it all in the first place more than 20 years ago.

While there may be some tropes from modern day RPGs such as massive inventories and phat lootz dropping every 3 seconds not present, the streamlined interface and focused game play allow the story and setting to take a much more prominent role. Shadowrun Returns is a triumphant return of the Shadowrun universe to the electronic mediums.

There are some very minor points that i found missing from the Pen and Paper game, such as Stun and Physical damage, but all in all, Hairbrained Schemes has done a wonderful job of putting together what is needed to take me back to days gone by with friends sitting around a table, rolling handfuls of 6 sided dice, dodging Lone Star and working for whichever Mr Johnson happened to be paying the bills that particular week.
  96. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is fantastic. Couldn't ask for more, except more content, which is on the way. The writing is incredible, soundtrack is outstanding, animations are well done, environments are beautiful. To me, it's an instant classic, and should be for anyone who loved the old Shadowrun books/roleplaying game and the Baldur's Gate games.
  97. Jul 26, 2013
    I am about six hours in and am enjoying myself quite a bit. Really feels like a pen and paper Shadowrun game from back in the day. Minor technical glitches, no Co-op and and annoying save system bring the experience down but it is a few patches and some custom mods away from being a truly great single player RPG, totally worth the price I payed.
  98. Jul 26, 2013
    An amazing job on a minimalist budget.

An amazing job on a minimalist budget.

First off let me start by saying that if this was a AAA game I'd rate it 6 or 7 of 10, however for a small independent studio, it is top notch. The game play could be slightly more polished(Check point saves, no custom bindings) but the flavor is spot on. Right away you are pulled into a deeply rich storyline, full of twists and turns, and denizens of the shadowrun universe. You feel the grit and hopelessness of the SINless. The base story was highly entertaining, but fairly linear...however I look at that as more of an intro to the game, a tutorial if you will, for the UGC that will be coming out in droves(if the prerelease is any indicator).

Alot of the reviews I've read are either lambasting SR:R for not being a AAA title, or can see no wrong in it. Make no mistakes there are flaws in the game, but they are relatively minor. There is no "save anywhere" but I can name AAA titles that didn't have that. No custom keybinding? Again plenty of AAA titles w/o that. A few bugs? etc.

If you are a fan of Shadowrun this is a game you don't want to miss, if you are a fan of 3rd person tactical games this is a fairly good representation of the genre. This game is well worth the $20 you can buy it for right now...and honestly I've paid $60 for games that were 1/2 as fun, or had less replayability.
  99. Jul 26, 2013
    Honestly brought me back to my childhood. Was a lot of fun and very well told story. The most exciting part for me is after this campaign is done there is still Berlin coming out and an indefinite amount of user created campaigns. I'm excited to see a lot more of this world and hope it is a sales success so we can see more iterations in the future!!!
  100. Jul 29, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns from my experience of the campaign in its entirety was excellent. Some spent 12 hours. I spent around 20 hours(sometimes I had to leave my computer on more on that later). Definitely worth the discounted pre-order of $15. I would highly recommend that anyone who enjoys TBS(turn based strategy), RPG, and Fantasy/Sci-fi to check this game out!! Now to the exposition ofShadowrun Returns from my experience of the campaign in its entirety was excellent. Some spent 12 hours. I spent around 20 hours(sometimes I had to leave my computer on more on that later). Definitely worth the discounted pre-order of $15. I would highly recommend that anyone who enjoys TBS(turn based strategy), RPG, and Fantasy/Sci-fi to check this game out!! Now to the exposition of the game's merits and faults. Shadowrun Returns plays similarly to Xcom: Enemy Unknown except that you don't upgrade your base of operations Between areas, you are usually at the Seamstresses Union where you catch up with the merchants, employees, and patrons on rumors, gossip, stories, and history as well as outfit yourself with gear and companions for your shadowruns. This mechanic works quite well and gives the player a nice break from the action and helps you connect with the iconic inhabitants of the Seamstresses Union. When it comes time to duke it out in combat with nefarious thugs, cults, and corporate organizations the combat is excellent. I did not fully explore all of the possible skills that fall under the different attributes, but guns, melee, magic, spirits, drones, and decking(hacking into the matrix) all work quite well. Guns are by far(especially the Assault Rifle) the most damaging and flexible in combat. However, the skills that fall under conjuring and magic can be very helpful in regards buffing allies or debuffing enemies as well as obstructing or hampering enemies. Overall I really enjoyed the combat and there were even some encounters where I had to play through them about 5 times just to get past them. But that was for maybe 3 out of 10-15 encounters in the game if my estimations are correct. I also enjoyed all the dialogue which was well written in that it was great in terms of humor, seriousness, verbal cues, and depth. The plot really felt like a story, which is more than some games like Brink, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and Dragon's Dogma can say(those are all the games I believed would have great stories but didn't and instead only delivered on gameplay). I can safely tell you that Shadowrun returns delivers on both fronts. Now to the faults which are few and forgivable though it would be nice if they were addressed. There are checkpoints at subsections of areas and transitions into new areas like going back and forth between the Seamstresses Union and some other location or proceeding further into a location. I can see how they would hope to discourage allowing players to save every single turn in battle or save all the time in order to get the most out of every conversation by making all the right choices. However I think that a comprise between manual and automatic would be an allowance of manual saves in addition to the auto saving at checkpoints then when you feel you really need to save you can. Now enough of the save system which is manageable(if you remember to copy every single autosave checkpoint so that a checkpoint's autosave doesn't get overwritten by the next checkpoint). One thing that dissapointed me a little bit was the lack of other attributes that characterized weapons, because there is certainly others beyond damage, range, and capacity(guns). Some guns in the store would have the same damage and range, but the more expensive one would have less capacity. There must be something exemplary about the more expensive one that would justify its price tag.In addition, the story did not have any major dialogue decisions that affected the outcome of the game in any significant way. In addition, it was sometimes difficult to select the tile that you wanted a character to move to since you could not rotate the camera, but this did not affect the outcomes of combat really since it was pretty infrequent. Though there are these flaws, I would like to point out the reasons for them and how they can be resolved. I'm going to compare the making of Halo 4 to Shadowrun Returns. Halo 4 had around a $100 million dollar budget, 200 developers/employees, and a 3 1/3 years development cycle. Shadowrun Returns had around a $2 million budge, 22 staff, and a 1 1/3 years development cycle. Do these numbers mean anything. Yes. For Harebrained-Schemes, they had a shorter time table and limited financial and development resources. Maybe that's why they didn't get in the other statistics or characteristics concerning weapons(though this may have been a design choice). Maybe a manual save system and non rotating camera weren't possible for development reasons due to the tight schedule and the issues they could have caused during the software engineering process or yet again they may have been design decisions. And last of all there is only so much content that a team of 22 can develop for a rich story. I would rather have a great story than a terrible story filled with important choices that impacted the direction of the plot. Plus buyers can mod the game to extend the content and fix issues. Expand

1. Oct 5, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a bit more simplistic than I had hoped for, but at the same time it is not bad at all. [Sept 2013]
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns is a faithful reinterpretation (and in a vague sense, sequel) to the SNES game from 20 years ago, maybe a bit too faithful. Though most aspects of the the wild and unruly Shadowrun world is included, the promise of this game lies more in the open embrace of the mod community than the included adventure.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Shadowrun Returns will probably please most fans if perhaps not blow anyone out of the water. The campaign is well written and serves as a good introduction for new players. The variety in combat and character creation and dialogue options is great but suffers from a badly implemented autosave system. With lots of new campaigns on the horizon Shadowrun Returns is well worth keeping an eye on.