Shank PC

6.8

1. May 22, 2011
    Tremendously entertaining, complete with breathtaking cartoony visuals and a true love for the Tarantino/Rodriguez universe of sleazy revenge. A love letter to anyone who grew up on 80's goodness.
  2. Nov 26, 2011
    THis is a great game, full of action, full of weapons and full of blood. Great Beat 'em up like the ones we had in the past, but with newer graphics.

Sorry about my english.... i'm a spanish speaker
  3. Jul 23, 2011
    NOTE: This is a PC game intended to be played using a Controller. (Game Pad)

NOTE: This is a PC game intended to be played using a Controller. (Game Pad)

Reviewers need to stop giving this game a low rating simply because they can't follow directions to use a Game Pad. This game is intended to be played using a Game controller which can be purchased for $15 bucks almost anyplace. This is a great hack and slash side scrolling game and the closet you can get to being in an action thrash and slash cartoon. Great if you want to let off steam and hack away, or enjoy long play times as well. The cartoon style graphics are a breath of fresh air and very pleasing, and features tons of combos, weapons and moves, but can also be played effectively using one or two moves. So pick your style and have fun!

Remember, this game is intended for use with a Game PAD! GET ONE! The keyboard is not recommended by me or the developer.
  4. Jan 9, 2012
    Great game, well worth what I paid for it (I got in the humble indie bundle). It's a beat-em-up in the style of Streets of Rage with some interesting twists regarding combos and weapons. There's some platforming as well, but nothing that would deter too much from the action of the game. I didn't get a chance to play the local coop, but it looked fun. The graphics are excellent and theGreat game, well worth what I paid for it (I got in the humble indie bundle). It's a beat-em-up in the style of Streets of Rage with some interesting twists regarding combos and weapons. There's some platforming as well, but nothing that would deter too much from the action of the game. I didn't get a chance to play the local coop, but it looked fun. The graphics are excellent and the weapons are interesting. Some of the enemies are a bit annoying (dogs for example) but I guess you could say that about any game. All of the bosses were interesting, each of which had tricks to defeat. On normal it took me about 4 hours to complete and I enjoyed it the entire time. There are unlockable skins and a hard difficulty for those wanting a challenge akin to classic games. My only complaints are the controls felt a bit off at first (but I warmed up after awhile) and the music was really bad. I turned off the music halfway through and put on a more fitting heavy metal playlist which fixed that though. Overall one of the better indie titles out there. Expand
  5. Jun 4, 2012
    Shank presents well-developed, visceral, beat-em-up goodness in a crystal clear cartoon. A standard revenge story is blown completely out of proportion with a gritty, dark setting chalk full of ridiculously over-the-top muscle-bound brutes. It's awesome, especially since co-op mode doubles things up!

Classic beat-em-up gameplay gets refined through simple, intuitive controls, multiple weapons and pickups and challenging boss battles. Acquiring the best weapon (katana) resulted in a drop in difficulty curve, as simply tapping the "leap" attack would guarantee a kill. Length is not a strong point either, as it took 7h to beat both co-op and normal single player. Hard-mode is still an available challenge, but proves to be too much of a hassle because checkpoints are removed.

For an indie game, Shank is surprisingly a lot of fun to play. It shows that the extinct Beat-em-up genre can still be fun in modern times. Highly recommended if you like this basic type of arcade game, or simply want a good co-op game!
  6. May 23, 2012
    Incredible graphics with a final fight or double dragon old school mix. Its like quentin tarantino directed the game. I hear there is a sequel, looking that up. A controller makes this game.
  7. Dec 7, 2015
    Amazing game with great single player campaign as well as local coop 2 player campaign. From gameplay standpoint though, I prefer Shank 2 for smoother controls and great survival mode.
  8. Jun 29, 2013
    Awesome 2d combat game! Much better than Metal Slug and his variants. The story is short but good, the combat is pretty much variable and you can cycle between guns, heavy weapons and your knifes. You collect more weapons for as much as you play. You can finish your enemies in multiple ways. I definitely recomend this game!
  9. Feb 25, 2011
    This game was interesting, Looks great, plays great. The violence is something strait out of a Quentin Tarantino Movie. The bad thing is the controls and the difficulty. This game is hard! The last boss fight is aggravating. Also using the key board is not the best way to play. If you like side scroller arcade styled combat defiantly a game to try a demo before you buy and from your own judgment.
  10. Apr 16, 2011
    If the 2010 grindhouse gorefest Machete and internet superstars Penny Arcade had a violent, sociopathic love child, Shank would be it. You take the role of Shank, an ex-hitman with a grudge against his old boss, standing toe to toe against an entire crime syndicate in a sidescrolling, 2D action stomp fest, that combines satisfying melee combat with smooth, crisp visuals and aIf the 2010 grindhouse gorefest Machete and internet superstars Penny Arcade had a violent, sociopathic love child, Shank would be it. You take the role of Shank, an ex-hitman with a grudge against his old boss, standing toe to toe against an entire crime syndicate in a sidescrolling, 2D action stomp fest, that combines satisfying melee combat with smooth, crisp visuals and a south-of-the-boarder musical medley that fits together so nicely you can almost taste the sand and blood in your mouth. The combat is fluid, encouraging the player the mix things up. Mashing the shank button by itself without a heavy or range followup is a sure way to get yourself killed. Linking up deadly combos by virtue of a rampaging exploration of your grisly arsenal leads up to some pretty nasty combinations that bring a smile to anyone's face. There's a certain visceral thrill of pouncing on one guy, slicing him to ribbons with your shanks, while holding his buddies off with a few well placed shotgun blasts, before exposing your victim's internal organs to daylight with a few deft swings of your machetes.

Shank is made by indie developer Klei Entertainment and, as such, bears the unjust stigma of many independent games. The controls are smooth as butter and the platforming feels tight and precise, allowing players to move forward, swinging and jumping around most pitfalls and traps with relative ease and grace. Many Indie games favor soul crushingly hard platforming to help add longevity to their titles. Shank steers away from this, opting instead for neat tricks and easy progression to help keep things moving.

The music and art style are both wonderful and help the player to feel like they're actually a Mexican badass out for blood and revenge in the gritty, crime ridden underworld. The lion's share of the story itself is told by cut scenes presented in a Penny Arcade style of animation which some may find to be a little jarring. Shank is not without its flaws. Unless the player keeps things fresh by varying up weapons and combos, the combat can start to feel stale after a few hours. As a player, you have to want to explore the destructive potential of each weapon to find a wicked killing set to quickly dispatch large groups of enemies. If you're not careful, it's easy to get swamped by the large numbers of baddie, especially if half of them have guns and rifles. Also, the level designs tend to repeat themselves as the game progresses. If you've fought across one set of rooftops, you've fought across all of them.

The bosses are a mixed bag as well. Each boss has a special trick that must be learned to defeat them and the game only drops hints as to what these tricks are after you die. Some of these hints are very non-specific which means that you'll have to try, and die, several times to discover how to annihilate said boss. The bosses themselves are varied, ranging from mexican wrestlers, meat packing men, a sword carrying version of the Bride from Kill Bill, and a Gimp. Nods to Tarantino films are present all over the place.

The last few levels can be quite difficult, with a certain degree of frustration as you attempt to manage the waves of gun toting drug thugs, while the last boss will likely drive you bananas.

Lastly, Shank is short and an experienced gamer will clear the normal difficulty in four or five hours. However, if the game were any longer it would become stale. Given the nature of the combat system, and the level progression, its length fits the bill perfectly.

While imperfect, Shank is a blast. It is well crafted, smooth, clean fun, and did I mention the price point? At $10 on Steam, Shank is nothing to sneeze at. For 10 bucks you get a satisfying action sidescroller that lets you unleash the beast on waves of thugs, meatheads, hookers and canines, and still have enough money left aside for dinner.

Shank is a superb value, giving you quite a bit for only little, and leaving you with the satisfaction of forcing a chainsaw down the brainstem of a luchador and ripping the nipples off a Gimp. Shank is great fun, for a great price.
  11. Jan 20, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I really love the cliche story and the combat. To really enjoy this game you should play it with a xbox 360 gamepad. I had a hard time quiting the game because I enjoyed playing it that much. I have never tried it on the keyboard but I would imagine it's not as much fun.
  12. Apr 1, 2013
    I really love these new animated style 2D side-scrollers KLEI has put out. I would have liked to have seen more artistic detail in the backgrounds and some tweaks to the combat system that they learned from Mark of the Ninja would have bumped this game up a point from me.
  13. Jul 14, 2013
    i really enjoyed this game it was really a great experience the story is not bad as well and the boss fights are well done in this game it also has amazing visuals although it is a bit short but you will enjoy every moment in it and after you finish it has coop story mode that will keep the fun going

1. Jan 31, 2011
    Shank may sound like the best game in the world, but in reality all its virtues are undermined by a fatal flaw – it's way too simple.
  2. Jan 20, 2011
    Shank is a visually attractive but completely shallow excuse for a 2D brawler game. Frustrating combat doesn't help.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Dec 30, 2010
    Shank - like the hero - is a pleasure to watch, but there's not much going on inside. [Jan 2010, p.64]