8.1

1. Nov 6, 2010
    A fun little game. First of all, the game is truly beautiful, and it cam seem so lonely if you turn your suit system off, leaving you with a silent emptiness. It has a fair amount of balance but it'd pretty hard to get a skillful kill. Has a bit of a learning curve but in the end, it's a blast. Maybe the only thing that's missing is HAL 9000!
  2. Dec 16, 2010
    The realistic graphics six-degrees of freedom and addictive game play are what makes this game great. The only down side is the lack of players due to the need for a good graphics card and a strong computer. With the recent additions of new weapons the game is becoming more and more expansive and some say that a story mode is on the way. Even with the small down sides this is still arguably the best multi-player first-person shooter in video gaming history. Expand
  3. Mar 3, 2011
    Worth every cent, love total freedom of movement and gfx are awesome, replay value is getting better because of bots and awesome new friends.

Just hope that they will continue supporting game.
  4. Mar 24, 2011
    When I first bought Shattered Horizon, it was awesome looking, but limited. I would have given it a seven or eight. I liked the idea of it more than actually playing it, so I didn't play that much.

Since then, Newmark has continued to add features and refine it. Originally, each astronaut had an assault rifle, grenade launcher, and ice pick. Then they added sniper rifle, SMG, MG, and
    shotgun. That was great, but I still got my butt kicked every single time. The other multiplayer players were a lot better than me. Playing was more fun, but kind of humiliating.

One day, I noticed they had added bots to multiplayer servers. These were bots I could actually kill. I could go to an unpopulated bot server and actually play at my level. Recently, late March 2011, they just added single player versus bots for all gametypes. This is great because now I can practice on my own without repetitive death syndrome (RDS) kicking in.

FPS in three dimensions is kind of a new thing. It takes getting used to. The ability to groom with single player is great. The only reason I have not given this a ten is because full keymapping is not yet implemented. That is to say that I cannot map certain actions to certain punctuation keys like semi-colon or apostrophe. If you have a more standard preference like WASD, this will not be a problem. However, all mine center around comma and period as left and right strafe, low on the keyboard. Low on the keyboard because I am a Tyrannosaurus Rex and I have tiny arms, you know.

The game is very sharp-looking. The amount of music is limited, but quite amazing and perfect for the game. I think the theme is very memorable. The levels are okay. I'm not a big fan of the idea of the moon having exploded, but that's a decent enough excuse for gobs of asteroids and twisted space stations orbiting Earth.

The rendering of Earth is beautiful and underscores our insignificance in the grand scheme of things. Looking down on our "big blue marble," we are filled with wonder and the desire for peace for all mankind. It was our nobler qualities that brought us up here to receive this gravely important understanding. But then a command is barked in your ear, and you are reminded of your objective as the enemy closes in.
  5. Nov 17, 2011
    Despite the screams of anguish of certain melodramatic reviewers, this actually works very well on 64-bit Windows 7, if you have reasonably powerful hardware, so don't let that fear deter you from trying this excellent competitive shooter. This is only a team death match game, and it does that extremely well. The recently added single-player mode is a great way to practice your navigation, shooting, and avoidance skills. You'll need all the practice you can get because this game is all about skill and tactics. You don't get overpowering space bazookas and area of effect weapons. You have to be able to aim and you have to be able to do it as you're drifting in space and turning along three axes. And you need to be aware of your environment because the enemy can sneak up on you from any direction, including above or below you, and there are plenty of places where they can hide. It would be interesting to see this game expanded to have more roles, like the usual medics and engineers, or to add things like mines or defensive structures, or lockable doors/gates, etc., but the game is suspenseful and frantic enough that you don't really miss them when you're in the fray. The game is worth having just for the ambiance of the space combat. I don't know of any other game that gives you this, and the bar is set pretty high for anyone who wants to compete on this level. Expand

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks to it numerous upgrades, zero-g shooter is an excellent game nowadays. Pity that no one plays it any more. [June 2011]
  2. Mar 21, 2011
    For all its achievements, Shattered Horizon is too small and limited to fall in love with. [Apr 2011, p.103]
  3. It's very thrilling for a short time, but the limited amount of weapons and levels will bring you back down to earth quite fast. It's still a dynamic and action-packed shooter with great graphics, but doesn't offer much in the long term.