8.8

1. Jun 4, 2011
    Incredible game. The series really reached its high point here. Incredibly fun to roleplay and totally immersive. Something we cannot say at all about it's suck-sessor number 5. I would truly recommend this game to anyone that loves a deep, complex, enriching turn based strategy game.
  2. Feb 26, 2013
    The pinnacle of the Civilization series so far. You feel like you are developing a civilization in an alternate world, but Civ5 feels like a board game in comparison. The game is very good as is, but there are also many mods that add more to it or even transform it into an entirely new game (e.g. FFH2). All turn-based strategy fans should own this.
  3. Dec 11, 2013
    "Beyond the Sword" is a great educational strategy game, I especially like the scenarios Earth18Civ and Earth 1000AD. Single player game is good for trying out a new strategy, but the real fun is playing it with someone together.
  4. Mar 26, 2011
    When this expansion came out, I actually considered it as inferior to Warlords. However, i have learned to appreciate it since then, though it did require time, particularly as I had to learn how to use the new concepts and mechanics. Now, still playing the game pretty often, I consider such innovations as corporations and espionage as exactly those elements, that the previous instalments lacked. I do believe that I'll still be playing this in the future. Expand
  5. CRL
    Jul 25, 2011
    For some reason I found this game much more enjoyable than the actual Civilization IV. It's intoxicating and a the new elements give what was, in my opinion, an average game in Civilization IV a new life.
  6. Feb 2, 2012
    simply irresistible game that wont let hook up to anything but it. all u need is a bit of patience at the beginning but after that rest assured u wont remember anything else.
  7. May 22, 2012
    I really wanted to like Civilization V, it did not match the depth and complexity of the Civilization IV series. The graphics are dated, but that is about it; everything else is legendary. The opening music used in Civ IV somehow pumped me up, and made me feel like I can conquer the world. which is what this game is all about. Yet it is very difficult to do. I recommend this to anybody and everybody. Expand
  8. Oct 10, 2012
    This is and probably will be the best era for the Civilization franchise. I grew up playing Civilization and played every single Civ game and expansions, and I can say without a doubt that this expansion marked the highest point of this 15+ year old franchise. Civilization had its ups and downs, and among the fans there are still big debates regarding Civ
  9. Nov 12, 2012
    I've played around 320 hours in total and I'm still playing, combat animations are not the best, but if you like turn based strategy game, recommend it.
  10. Apr 12, 2014
    The most fun I've ever had! I've been playing this game for a many years now, and all of the enjoyment is still there for me. I've enjoyed this expansion pack a large deal because of its new built-in [toggleable] modules and scenarios, which allow you to play this game ad infinitum without become the slightest bit bored; as you can completely change your experience [or the game] by applying them. I may be an extreme, but I recently re-purchased the game [without hesitation] after losing it, and in the past 4 months have played the game for just as many days [24 hours = 1 day]. I have not lost any interest in it at all. I guess I'll have to warn you that you may absolutely love this game. Expand

1. Another brilliant add-on for an excellent strategy game. The new content is well designed and makes the somewhat dull endgame more interesting. Also the mods and scenarios are quite nice, some being actual games in their own right. [Sept 2007]
    We like Beyond the Sword because it makes the vastness of Civilization 4 just a little bit bigger. Getting to play the Dutch and Portuguese is worth a lot, but we wish all the expansions could have the cunning to make us look at the game in a new way without losing the rich complexity that make us love it in the first place.
  3. Between all the wrinkles in the main gameplay, all the scenarios which completely change or add to it, and the fact that this comes with little to no system requirement increases or, well, anything that doesn't add to the gameplay, Beyond the Sword is little more than another stop on Sid Meier's traditional formula but is so much fun precisely because of this.