8.9

1. Jun 4, 2011
    Incredible game. The series really reached its high point here. Incredibly fun to roleplay and totally immersive. Something we cannot say at all about it's suck-sessor number 5. I would truly recommend this game to anyone that loves a deep, complex, enriching turn based strategy game.
  2. RyanT.
    Jul 28, 2007
    Honestly the real reason I purchased civ 4 was because of my intense love of paratroopers from civ 2. Civ 4 was excellent, but no paratroopers! BtS reintroduced paratroopers, much to my delight. Excellent game.
  3. BalazsC.
    Jul 7, 2008
    I would easily give this a 11 out of 10. This expansion seriously beats the warlords in my opinion and even that was excellent.
  4. BillB.
    Jul 26, 2007
    Civ4:BTS best CIV expansion ever.
  5. SimonE.
    Jul 24, 2007
    Suffering from lack of sleep again.
  6. Thomas
    Aug 5, 2007
    Can't... stop... playing... I've always loved Civilization and it is the only pure-PC game I've ever been really in to, but I've regretted every expansion pack for it I've ever bought. Until now. Glorified patch with a high price tag? Maybe. Do I care when playing the best game ever but even BETTER? No. Not at all.
  7. PhilB.
    Aug 8, 2007
    Excellent add on. This series just gets better and better.
  8. TobyM
    Dec 30, 2009
    For a normal full priced addon this game is amazing BUT for this as an expansion is truely amazment, the corporation system is a nice addon, the spy system is cleverly done but for me the new mods which come with it simply left me gobsmacked, The only reason this hasn't got a 10 from me is because I'm hard to impress.
  9. VickyV.
    Jul 10, 2008
    I Love this game, I can play it for hours!!
  10. Dec 11, 2013
    "Beyond the Sword" is a great educational strategy game, I especially like the scenarios Earth18Civ and Earth 1000AD. Single player game is good for trying out a new strategy, but the real fun is playing it with someone together.
  11. Feb 26, 2013
    The pinnacle of the Civilization series so far. You feel like you are developing a civilization in an alternate world, but Civ5 feels like a board game in comparison. The game is very good as is, but there are also many mods that add more to it or even transform it into an entirely new game (e.g. FFH2). All turn-based strategy fans should own this.
  12. BP
    Jul 20, 2007
    The best Civ ever just got better. So much more variety and diversity. So many different units and buildings to choose from in each era. I was quite scared that they might ruin something good but once again came through with flying colours.
  13. JeraW
    Nov 3, 2009
    An excellent expansion, though with the modifiable aspects of Civilization IV already being supported by the company through user created content, a bit pricey. If you play Civ IV regularily, a solid buy. If not, wait a few months till it lowers in price. Either way, it's doubles the playtime you would normally get out of Civilization IV no matter who you are.
  14. SheldonR.
    Jul 31, 2007
    It's no "Play The World", but its a pretty good expansion. LOL.
  15. DavidM.
    Oct 13, 2007
    The sheer immensity of this expansion pack is equal to an entirely new game! Fans of the Civilization series will not be disappointed by the new features, including incredible scenarios leaps and bounds better than those released with Warlords, and game balances, buildings, and wonders that finally give the chance for peaceful rulers to negotiate and build their way to victory. This is The sheer immensity of this expansion pack is equal to an entirely new game! Fans of the Civilization series will not be disappointed by the new features, including incredible scenarios leaps and bounds better than those released with Warlords, and game balances, buildings, and wonders that finally give the chance for peaceful rulers to negotiate and build their way to victory. This is not to say that this expansion isn't for warmongering players, as it also adds new units, strategies, and a totally revamped AI that will make taking over your neighbors exciting again! The only thing marring this expansion are the number of bugs it shipped with, some of which made a couple new features, including espionage and corporations, unreliable and unrealistic. Expand
  16. MattB
    Jul 26, 2007
    Simply Brilliant. The standard gameplay runs smoother than before, and in so looks a notch better. The addition of new units, buildings, and concepts provide a better quenching for the path of war and peace alike, and even tree-huggers (forest reserves and other environmental buildings). Includes great scenarios including one called "The Next War" which I played for 4-5 hours recently as Simply Brilliant. The standard gameplay runs smoother than before, and in so looks a notch better. The addition of new units, buildings, and concepts provide a better quenching for the path of war and peace alike, and even tree-huggers (forest reserves and other environmental buildings). Includes great scenarios including one called "The Next War" which I played for 4-5 hours recently as it provides a world all ready for the best war you could imagine leading. The battle in said scenario only gets better with clone units that you can produce in mass quantity to overwhelm your enemies and/or giant mech and goliath units that give that extra punch you need to break the defences of your enemies. If you have the money and liked Civ 4; What the hell are you reading this for! Get it! Expand
  17. CraigJ.
    Aug 11, 2007
    This game has so many new features it is almost overwhelming and with the immediate patch in addition to the awesome scenarios included make this worth 2 times what they sell it for.
  18. Mar 26, 2011
    When this expansion came out, I actually considered it as inferior to Warlords. However, i have learned to appreciate it since then, though it did require time, particularly as I had to learn how to use the new concepts and mechanics. Now, still playing the game pretty often, I consider such innovations as corporations and espionage as exactly those elements, that the previous instalmentsWhen this expansion came out, I actually considered it as inferior to Warlords. However, i have learned to appreciate it since then, though it did require time, particularly as I had to learn how to use the new concepts and mechanics. Now, still playing the game pretty often, I consider such innovations as corporations and espionage as exactly those elements, that the previous instalments lacked. I do believe that I'll still be playing this in the future. Collapse
  19. Feb 2, 2012
    simply irresistible game that wont let hook up to anything but it. all u need is a bit of patience at the beginning but after that rest assured u wont remember anything else.
  20. May 22, 2012
    I really wanted to like Civilization V, it did not match the depth and complexity of the Civilization IV series. The graphics are dated, but that is about it; everything else is legendary. The opening music used in Civ IV somehow pumped me up, and made me feel like I can conquer the world. which is what this game is all about. Yet it is very difficult to do. I recommend this to anybody andI really wanted to like Civilization V, it did not match the depth and complexity of the Civilization IV series. The graphics are dated, but that is about it; everything else is legendary. The opening music used in Civ IV somehow pumped me up, and made me feel like I can conquer the world. which is what this game is all about. Yet it is very difficult to do. I recommend this to anybody and everybody. Expand
  21. Oct 10, 2012
    This is and probably will be the best era for the Civilization franchise. I grew up playing Civilization and played every single Civ game and expansions, and I can say without a doubt that this expansion marked the highest point of this 15+ year old franchise. Civilization had its ups and downs, and among the fans there are still big debates regarding Civ
  22. Nov 12, 2012
    I've played around 320 hours in total and I'm still playing, combat animations are not the best, but if you like turn based strategy game, recommend it.
  23. Apr 12, 2014
    The most fun I've ever had! I've been playing this game for a many years now, and all of the enjoyment is still there for me. I've enjoyed this expansion pack a large deal because of its new built-in [toggleable] modules and scenarios, which allow you to play this game ad infinitum without become the slightest bit bored; as you can completely change your experience [or the game] byThe most fun I've ever had! I've been playing this game for a many years now, and all of the enjoyment is still there for me. I've enjoyed this expansion pack a large deal because of its new built-in [toggleable] modules and scenarios, which allow you to play this game ad infinitum without become the slightest bit bored; as you can completely change your experience [or the game] by applying them. I may be an extreme, but I recently re-purchased the game [without hesitation] after losing it, and in the past 4 months have played the game for just as many days [24 hours = 1 day]. I have not lost any interest in it at all. I guess I'll have to warn you that you may absolutely love this game. Expand
  24. Mar 26, 2011

1. Another brilliant add-on for an excellent strategy game. The new content is well designed and makes the somewhat dull endgame more interesting. Also the mods and scenarios are quite nice, some being actual games in their own right. [Sept 2007]
    We like Beyond the Sword because it makes the vastness of Civilization 4 just a little bit bigger. Getting to play the Dutch and Portuguese is worth a lot, but we wish all the expansions could have the cunning to make us look at the game in a new way without losing the rich complexity that make us love it in the first place.
  3. Between all the wrinkles in the main gameplay, all the scenarios which completely change or add to it, and the fact that this comes with little to no system requirement increases or, well, anything that doesn't add to the gameplay, Beyond the Sword is little more than another stop on Sid Meier's traditional formula but is so much fun precisely because of this.