8.6

1. Jul 9, 2013
    Brave new world is the latest expansion for Civilization V, packed with new civilizations, wonders, units and a plethora features. For a hefty price of $30, Civilization V also gets a slight aesthetic refinement for the interface.

One of my main complaints with Civilization V Gods and Kings was the amount of multiplayer bugs the game contained and how boring late game can get. With a
    recent patch, multiplayer actually runs much faster. From loading times to turn times, there was clearly optimizations for multiplayer. Late game is also a lot more interesting. Firaxis has completely retooled how Ideologies work, how the culture victory is obtained, and has reintroduced the World Congress (UN in Civ IV).

Ideologies are now obtained by building three factories which signals the industrial era for your civilization, or reaching the Modern Era in the Technology tree. Ideologies now play a big part in civilization. From diplomatic relationships being strained, to unhappiness in your civilization, to revolution. It’s entirely what the game was lacking, and this retooling of ideologies really adds depth to the late game. There tends to be a lot of bickering between the AI as a result, which leads to very interesting gameplay. My first game in Brave New World resulted in a world war. Something also noticeable is no longer does each political ideology have 5 social policies to adopt, but a dozen or more. In fact, each social policy gained from your specific ideology only grants one bonus, instead of several like in Gods and Kings.

It requires significantly more culture to get all the benefits from a ideology tree, but this isn’t a problem. It’s very easy to obtain culture, with the addition of great writers/musicians/painters. All of which can create great works, which can bring in tourism from other civilizations. This leads into the new Culture victory, with the goal of being culturally influential to a specific number of civilizations. This is by far one of the best changes in the expansion.

The World congress is a more in-depth UN from Civilization IV. You can enact trade embargoes, ban specific luxury resources, enact a world ideology or religion, or even ban nukes. Depending on how you tell your delegates to vote on a issue, can result in some hatred from other civilizations. I once was given the option of voting for a world fair, adopting a world religion, or abstaining my votes for that session of congress. I places all my delegates for the world fair, and as a result I got denounced by the majority of civilizations in the game. It was quite interesting to see who my friends were after that, and this is by far a great addition to Civilization V.

Some other noteworthy additions is the inclusion of trade routes, which allows religious pressure, gold, science, food and production to be traded amongst your cities or other civilizations. Spies have the option of being a diplomat, which grants the same abilities only they do not steal technology and they can increase tourism to your cities via propaganda.

Overall, the expansion is well worth the price. Most of the additions help late game, although features such as trade routes can help with early expansion. Brave new world also introduces the features very slowly, in such a pace that it’s easy to quickly understand the new gameplay mechanics. This might be the best Civilization to date.
  2. Jul 9, 2013
    Everything in this patch is good. As was the case with Gods and Kings, we can applaud that the game is finally developing into something worth playing. Which just kind of goes to show what a few of us noted when Civ 5 came out at first. This was a DREADFUL game at launch. This is a very good expansion and fans of the game should run forth to buy it to support their beloved developer. However I find $26 pretty rich in the ongoing saga of repairing a severely deficient experience. As another reviewer said: it's quite sad that Fireaxis and 2K made us go through two main DLC before we can have the feeling of what should have been Civilization V at start. I recommend holding off on playing the game till they finish it and bundle the whole thing as a single price title. Expand
  3. Jul 14, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic expansion. Pretty much every complaint from Civilization is addressed. Boring late game? Gone. Invisible trade? Gone. Basically mandatory for anyone playing Civilization. Try Zulu with mass Impi rush. You'll thank me later.
  4. Jul 9, 2013
    Another large expansion for Civilization V. For those die-hard fans of the most current version this is certainly a worthwhile addition. More depth in the form new systems including risky trade routes, more expansive cultural victory play-style, more Civilizations and a rework of the policy tree all help round out an already well developed game. Surprisingly, the added systems do nothing to diminish those already in place, and aren't overwhelming for more casual players. Stubborn fans of the older Civilization incarnations will still find that the game strays from its predecessors but that is the intention and shouldn't be expected. If you're looking for some new tweaks and added depth to your Civilization V experience then that is what you'll get. The price is high, which is expected from past expansions and may be worth waiting for a sale if you're only a lukewarm fan. Expand
  5. Jul 17, 2013
    Civilization V has lost so much of the gameplay that made earlier civ games what they were. Strategic gameplay has been replaced by religion, trade, and other ridiculous mini-games which overly influence win conditions. The Civ V AI leaders have been psychotic from the beginning with dumbed down conditions which cause them to stay forever friendly, attack for no apparent reason or otherwise seem idiotic compared to past Civ games.

2K games participation with Valve in bilking preorder customers by putting the game on sale at a substantially reduced price immediately after release is shameful. Their further thowing old Civ IV copies at those unhappy is insulting.

The glory days of a once great franchise seem to be over replaced by laziness and greed.
  6. Jul 25, 2013
    Save the cash and skip this. The game was made worse in every way. The AI isn't any smarter, and now has even larger bonuses. The early game is even more random, with victory having more to do with starting location/civ than anything else. Unhappiness is now a huge issue mid to late game, pretty much crippling any expansion past 5 cities. There's more to click on, more things to micro, but they have no real effect on the game. Rather its now significantly more annoying. So far more work, for less fun, less balance, and less strategy. Expand
  7. Oct 17, 2013
    I really don't understand why the hell people are liking this game! They must not have played Civ IV. It barely adds anything to civ, whereas it takes away about half of the tech tree AND diplomacy. WHY CAN'T I SEE WHAT A RULER THINKS ABOUT ANOTHER CIVILIZATION. There are basic diplomatic necessities they've completely removed from the game. I guess I'm reviewing Civ 5 more than I am Brave New World, but Jesus Christ it's only worsened because the game basically came out in 2 different parts. At this point you'd have to spend about 80 bucks to play Civilization in full. Sure, you can spend 30, and then get about half the civs, plus NO RELIGION. Civ 4 had religions, albeit much simpler than in Brave New World. Why the hell isn't that in Civ 5???
    Here are some other things they added to the glorious Civilization franchise: every unit can become amphibious now, God knows how, they just turn into boats and sail across a lake, cities can directly attack marauders (no more pillaging, sorry!), no stacking units (I could understand a unit stack cap, but only one per tile??? WHY? Now my entire army not only costs a massive amount of money, but I can't find a place to put the bloody thing). Seriously, if you're a Civ 4 player, can't you imagine how difficult it is to move EVERY SINGLE UNIT SEPARATELY IN AN ENTIRE ARMY. The game sucks, I don't understand the reviews at this point. I'm going back to Civ 4.
  8. Sep 6, 2013
    Brave New World crashes.

Brave New World incorporates the Religion and Espionage features from Gods & Kings.
    So many features of both expansions are neither pleasant nor interesting. Save your money.
  9. Jul 9, 2013
    A great update to a game in need of an ending. The generalization that Gods & Kings addressed the first half the game while Brave New World fixes the second half is somewhat true. The new civs also offer dramatically different play styles, which makes this expansion more than a mere evolution but less than a full sequel (say, Civ VI). Worth buying, 100%!
  10. Aug 13, 2013
    Finally Civ 5 does not suck (too much). For this I give it a 9, single player.

Sure the uber slow turns (God help you on a slow PC) are still there, but game is actually what it should be
  11. Jul 29, 2013
    In many ways this update makes the game better than it was, as a stand alone release. Sadly though, it doesn't make it a better strategy game. It's just too easy, too predictable, and winning doesn't feel good at all. It's just the end of a long, boring grind. It's really funny how you can have virtually no army, and if you get swarmed by the enemy, you can just build a few, and survive. In my previous game, I took
    out 20 cities using only six units, at the same tech level as my opponent.

The problem is how amazingly stupid the AI is. It makes so many mistakes,
    which ruin the experience for me.

Big tip if you want to take down an empire with six units, is having four landships, and two artillery units.
    With that you can annihilate your enemy with ease, if you make sure to retreat every now and then,
    to heal up.
  12. Dec 16, 2013
    The complexity of Brave New World is wonderful. Now, if Firaxis could only figure out how to fix that pesky little 100% game crash rate with this expansion installed it would be worth owning. Since it currently makes Civ 5 unplayable, I'll rate it accordingly.
  13. Jul 18, 2013
    Finally! AIRPORTS! Tourism is interesting and the revamped cultures brings new life to Civ 5. Still sucks you cannot stack units or have more then 1 unit in a city.
  14. Aug 3, 2013
    - Stable Game
    - Teaches Historical People, Places, Ideologies and Cultures
    - Good Voice acting
  15. Jul 19, 2013
    Trading and diplomacy have never been so vital to interaction incorporating fun variables to Civilization that's separate from typical conquest or scientific triumph. The depths substantive trading routes to ideological friendships have introduced complexity to a previously streamlined franchise and it's kicked Civilization V into the best entry of Civilization's history whilst an echo before lacking much complexity.

Civilization V has finally evolved into the form it had endeavored before expansions but failed incredibly layered whilst simultaneously straightforward without intricate micromanagement or obfuscating design decisions.

Conclusion: From a straightforward but shallow experience of the base, Civilization V BNW has expanded the entry into both depth and coherence a very difficult feat.
  16. Jul 13, 2013
    Maybe the most significant and well tuned version of the game. I still wish for a better visualization of the diplomacy screen but still quite happy with all the changes and additions. Absolutely brilliant. Final note the introduction video is a work of art by itself.
  17. Jul 17, 2013
    This game is GOOD but I can't stop this "more of the same but with different color" with CIV
    I've been playing CIV games since I was 17 (from CIV I onwards) and I feel like aside from few details,
    the game is the same (graphics dont count)
    If you haven't played CIV in a long or never played, buy this one.
    Otherwise, I guess buying it on sale.
  18. Apr 10, 2014
    This expac made an already painful game worse by giving out more of the same: It boasts more bugs, more crashes, more freezes, and more repetitive busy work. The addition of caravans and cargo ships was the worst thing added to any Civ game, ever. It adds nothing to the game, and takes a lot away.
  19. Oct 13, 2013
    This expansion fixes a lot of problems that Gods and Kings did not fix. i have found that the other empires around me are willing to get into long term and deep diplomatic relationships like in the earlier civ games. this was my main complaint about the game and it has been fixed. the new features are welcome to the game and fit in perfectly. the new civilizations are great and i am happy to see new civs that have never been introduced to the civ world. also civs returning from older games are welcome back. the combat didn't need fixing so it is still good. so overall i think it is a great buy... i waited until it went on sale because 30 dollars for a DLC is way too much. but it is a must buy if you already own civ. the diplomacy and interactions between other countries is amazing. highly recommended. Expand
  20. Jul 17, 2013
    We need more cheat civs, like Shoshones and boring, like Venice! BNW most unbalanced Civilization ever. Trading system totally violates ballance of AI.
  21. Jul 9, 2013
    Brave New World does a lot to improve Civ V. Beyond the normal addition of civs, buildings and units, it completely revamps the cultural minigame (which was sorely in need of it), adds several new mechanics and fine tunes others. Trading is far more realistic and in depth, with you needing to initiate and guard trade caravans to get their benefits. Tourism is an interesting subcategory of culture. Religion has some minor changes, such as new policies and beliefs, while espionage adds diplomats, a sort-of spy that doesn't steal tech but can watch and influence your neighbors in other ways. All of it does an excellent job of bringing the different aspects of Civ into one complete package, where everything feels interesting, but nothing seems overpowered. The only (minor) issues I have with BNW is that it doesn't really address the inherent flaws of the AI, and a lot of the mechanics feel like they're designed for larger games with many players. If you play with 2-3 others you're probably going to miss out on some fun. So, the burning question on everyone's mind is whether or not Civ V now measures up to Civ IV: Beyond the Sword. I was pretty hard on Civ V at release, and G&K didn't really do much for me, but now, with all expansions, I can confidently say that Civ V lives up to it's predecessor. Expand
  22. Jul 19, 2013
    Love it. Complexity is now on par with IV. My favorite game of all time. The new ruleset provides a whole new gaming dynamic that focuses less on war. I have always tried for cultural diplomatic and science victories but found myself resorting to domination most of the time. Fantastic game! I won't even dock a point for the whole Steam preorder fiasco.
  23. Jul 11, 2013
    No doubt BNW is very good and Firaxis successfully introduced several innovations. However, I would also mention that the initial Civ5 was severely dumbed down. G&Ks turned Civ5 into a strategy game adding several layers of polish. What BNW achieved is turning the series into a masterpiece, which surely deserves a 9.
    Strictly speaking BNW should have been the first expansion pack. Even if
    BNW is a good one, I cannot forget Firaxis milked us by releasing an incomplete game (vanilla Civ5) and asked us to pay up to fix what was initially broken. Expand
  24. Feb 3, 2014
    Brave New World is definitely a contender for best PC game expansion of 2013. The expansion reinvents how culture works in Civilization V and offers more interesting gameplay when it comes to trading and diplomacy. The only real criticism you could make is that they should've had these in the game in the first place! But that's just the way it is with Civ expansions isn't it? :)
  25. Jul 11, 2013
    First off: if you still don't like civ 5 after gods and kings and you are one of those forever civ 4 types this PROBABLY won't convert you but it can. This expansion does to civ 5 what beyond the sword did to 4. It is a completely different game and the changes are phenomenal. The tourism and world congress are amazing, huge, changes that completely revolutionize the game and it's strategies. I was a level 7/8 difficulty player but I have had to ratchet it down to 5 and I'm STILL losing about half my games just because the world congress and tourism effect the way game plays so much. It is the perfect expansion to the game and completes civ 5 (just like bts did to 4) into a masterpiece. If you even slightly liked 5 you owe it to yourself to get this.

The only downside is that I think most of the new civs are really uninteresting gameplay-wise. But that is entirely opinion based on how you like to play.
  26. Jun 27, 2014
    When 2 Civilizations build a Wonder in the same turn, the first player that entered the room in Multiplayer will build it, and the other player will just lose it. Frustrating.
  27. Dec 12, 2013
    I spent a lot of hours playing Civ 5, and it was fun in the beginning but it does get boring very quickly. I was hoping this expansion would do something about that it didn't. It really don't see what is so special about the content in this game. The trade function is nothing incredible, if you completely ignored it, it wouldn't make much difference I think. The art and music element is just absurdly poor, you get a little box to put in a little slot, do it the right way and that gives you slight cultural bonus of some sort but it doesn't feel like it adds any real meaning or enhances the gameplay. I played a couple of large custom games, bored me to death, I'm positive I won't come back to this game. Expand
  28. Dec 16, 2013
    Civ 5 is a great game, but I will be frank with my issue: Brave New World is NO WHERE EVEN CLOSE to 30 bucks worth of new content. Firaxis or 2k, whoever is responsible for the pricetag of these expansions, NEEDS TO STOP THIS RIDICULOUSNESS!
    Considering the base game's price tag, and the fact that this is pathetically considered a "rich man's game," these expansions should be priced no
    more than 15 bucks.

I would prefer to give this expansion a 0/10 for the absurd pricing vs. content, but cannot deny the intuitive, but SIMPLE changes in this expansion that make the base game even better...So I will toss it a couple.
  29. Jul 11, 2013
    "Holy My tourism output is making the population of Rome reject its Autocracy ideology and desire my Freedom ideology!" I said to myself in amazement. While that may sound somewhat dry to the uninitiated, culture play in Civ 5 up until now was a very dry affair. You simply built as many cultural buildings as you could, and kept your empire as small as possible, and hoped to fill 5 trees with Policies (talents) before another Civ clenched victory.

The culture changes really tie culture into the broader game. Furthermore, diplomacy is greatly improved. It's no longer just an issue of making friends with enough city-states to get votes. You can now combine city-state relationships with some good old fashioned bribes and threats.

The one full game (difficulty level 5 King) that I was able to get through since release was as Dondolo's Venice. This is one of a handful of new Civs, and in this is probably the most interesting Civ yet. The racial bonus is the ability to acquire City-States with Great Merchants (called "Merchants of Venice"). Also, E Dondolo can only have ONE city plus puppets, though he has the special ability to make purchases through puppet cities (buying units and buildings with gold). Thanks to the new Caravan system I was able to amass an enormous fortune which I could use to quickly erect an army at any of my acquired city-states as needed.

Interestingly, I actually won the game diplomatically by getting myself elected World Leader. I did this in a game with Alexander in it (he specialized in City-States) buy taking over his city state allies, thereby depriving him of all of his world council votes. Fun and interesting!

When looked at as a whole, Brave New World finally makes Civ5 feel complete. The paths to victory outside of domination are far more interesting than they used to be. The game feels more dynamic. It may have been specific to my game, but it seemed to me that other Civs were more willing to engage in trade. Furthermore, it was fun to enact a trade embargo against Rome (the tyrant in this particular game).

There are some minor complaints. For one, the UI from Civ5 could really use some tweaks, and BNW brought nothing new. Also, some of the new talents in the Freedom ideology were pointless, and although I was able to unlock the whole tree I felt like the last few points were wasted. No actual choice if you have enough culture you can eventually buy them all. Also, some Civs were WAY too easy to bribe into voting me world leader. When I have a pile of 25,000 gold, it seems almost silly that Isabella was willing to vote me leader for 500.

Overall though I am in love with this new expansion. I look forward to many more playthroughs and I will update my review accordingly.
  30. Nov 29, 2013
    Brave New World makes some great additions to Civilization V and makes the core game far more enjoyable and tactical. Aside from adding more Civilizations, wonders, buildings and units the game introduces some new mechanics that change the core experience greatly. The introduction of trade using merchants is an interesting addition that makes it easier to obtain large amounts of gold, gain science or to spread your religion among other civilizations. Diplomacy now has far more depth through the means of a congress system where you and other civilizations vote on issues that will drastically affect the game. It helps to be tactical with the voting because a certain affect may benefit you, but at the same time it may upset other civilizations and tarnish their relations with you and can even lead to war. The game also adds more great people such as great writers and musicians which can create great works for you and help to increase your culture output, aiding you in achieving a cultural victory. All these new additions are great and help to create a more tactical Civilization experience. This expansion is a must! Expand
  31. Jul 11, 2013
    Brave New World is a fantastic expansion pack. From almost every angle, it delivers what it promised to deliver, which was more exciting late game gameplay. With the new culture system, the biggest overhaul in the game, you have to be more active about gaining culture, otherwise you might go 30 or so turns between adopting a policy. And with the new ideology system, that can really hurt.

The ideology system allows for the player to choose between Freedom, Order and Autocracy. However, these are much more customizable than before, with each ideology going far above a normal social policy tree. Take my word for it, you're not going to want to skip out on culture.

Trade routes are extremely well done. You can trade with other empires and spread your religion and gain gold and science, or trade within your empire to gain production and food. It's a near flawless system, and it works extremely well.

The world congress is a nice addition to the game. You can ban luxuries, nuclear weapons, embargo civs, start world projects such as the International Space Station and set a world religion or ideology. It can be an EXTREMELY strong diplomatic tool if used correctly, and if you get other civs to cooperate with you. Gain delegates (which act as votes) by hosting the congress, trading them with other civs, researching internet, and allying yourself with city states.

The culture and diplomatic victories are much much more fun to win.

Happiness is much harder to earn. The zoo replaces the theater, which only gives +2 happiness. The stadium also only gives +2 happiness. However, these are made up for by ideological tenets that grant extra happiness as well as several new policy trees (aesthetics and exploration) that can also help out with happiness. This makes keeping your empire happy in later eras FAR more difficult than it was before.

The multiplayer UI, as well as the look of the general UI have been completely overhauled. These are some nice aesthetic touches that shouldn't go unnoticed. They finally replaced the theme song.

There are some additional units and buildings added, not to mention the 9 new civs, of which Venice is my favorite, and the most unique. Venice cannot buy, capture or produce settlers in any manor. They cannot annex cities. The twist is that they get double the number of trade routes (really big deal) and they can take in city states with one of their unique units, a Merchant of Venice. Venice can purchase in their puppet states as another civ could in an annexed city. Their double trade routes can grant an amazing amount of gold per turn, to the point where I feel pathetic playing as another civ. This is a fun, different civ to play as.

My only real complaint is that the AI is still extremely irrational. If you've played civ before, you know what I mean. Getting angry for no reason, denouncing you for no reason, etc. That happens to have more effect now that there's the world congress.

To sum it all up:

PROS:
    New culture system rocks
    Trade routes are a welcome addition
    World congress is a pivotal tool not to be taken lightly
    Ideological tenets make your civ unique, each time you play, more so than before.
    New UI looks great.
    The 9 new civs are great to play as. My favorite is Venice.
    City states are more important.
    Overall late game is much better and more robust.

CONS:
    Expensive
    AI still sucks
  32. Jul 13, 2013
    This is expansion is worth your money, as it rebalnces the AI adds new units more victory's new Civs and more ways to play this game Civ 5 is now one of the best strategy games out there
  33. Jul 18, 2013
    You know I never like Civ V....it always seemed much less entertaining to me than Civ IV, especially counting the Beyond the Sword expansion. Half the mechanics missing, simplified happiness, no more stacking units (which I actually liked) dreary AI etc.

Well I can honestly now say that this DLC expansion basically fixed that for me. It's DIFFERENT, definitely. It still has certain
    things I don't necessarily agree with such as the happiness system or replacement of flexible civics in the form of rigid socal policies. But I can honestly say that it is now a very good game indeed on it's own merit. Perhaps the most accessible game that you could apply the terms "Grand Strategy" or "4X" to, it certainly lacks the cataclysmic depth of titles like Europa Universalis yet still keeps a veteran of the genre like me playing, that's gotta mean something Expand
  34. dup
    Jul 27, 2013
    Playing a cultur or diplomatic game is finally much more fun in Civ5. But what use are all the new options when the AI does not know how to play them? For me Civ5 has always been a game against the computer and frankly the AI is just plain stupid: It does not know how to vote in the world council, it cheats (-80 gold/turn and no consequences) and reacts completely unreasonable. With all the new options of Brave New World this is more apparent than ever. Expand
  35. Jul 27, 2013
    The newest expansion for Civilization V teaches an old dog new tricks, the game feels fresh, and exciting.

Indeed we are brought into a "Brave New World" with this installment, showing us new reworked game play additions including the new Word Congress, and the ability to tailor your civilization based on an ideology!

The visuals get a slight improvement as well, and are much nicer
    to the eyes than they were before, giving you something to really look at.

If you enjoyed Civilization except for the moderate flaws I suggest picking up this tune-up as it really brings out the best of the game. But if you had no good words to say about the game before, do not bother as this will not be the change for you.
  36. Jul 27, 2013
    This new version of the game is great. I'm not completely done with my first game, but I am close. The new ideology system is really cool. George Washington adopted autocracy. lol. I'm playing as Assyria, one of the new civs. The Ideologies give you a bunch of cool bonuses, like freedom has one that gives you 6 free foreign legions. I am so getting that! Also, the world congress has been added, so you can force all other civs to do what you want them to do, if you have enough delegates. Happiness has also been made more important. This is one of the only things I didn't like.Also, victory conditions have been changed. now to win a cultural victory, you have to get a lot of tourism to become influential over other civs. all in all, its a really great game Expand
  37. Aug 1, 2013
    Really like the changes to this game brought by the BNW dlc. Before, the game was always a slog once you started to get into more modern times. There weren't many interesting things to build or compelling bonuses to acquire. Not that the end game was terrible...more like, it peaked during the renaissance and after that, you just kept playing because you needed to win...it was ok, but not nearly as cool as the early empire building.

BNW changes that, making late game diplomacy and "ideological" choices much more complex and relevant to the game. If you are diplomatic enough, you can use your clout to pass "UN" style agreements that can really tilt the game in your favor! Also, the new trade system is such a huge improvement! You now get to make real choices about trade that have a large effect on your overall economy...before it was just "build a road from A to B to make a trade route". Now it's much more complex and interesting.

This is far and away the best DLC I've played for Civ V. If I could give it an 11, I would.
  38. Aug 3, 2013
    Sid Meier's Civilization 5: Brave New World gives you the power to start a civilization of your chose with leaders from through out history. I personally had never played any of the other Civilization games, but that didn't matter because even if your experienced the game tells you how to do every thing. It can run on any pc and is a lot of fun. You can spend from 5 hours to 10 and never get bored as your constantly trying to make your civilization better. the only thing I ever found annoying is that to end your turn you have to do something with all your units but besides that its an amazing game I recommend to any body. Expand
  39. JtW
    Aug 21, 2013
    Great expansion. The new mechanics integrate seamlessly with the first expansion, creating a complete and engrossing experience.

I finally feel that with this expansion Civilization 5 has reproduced the depth of Civilization 4 BTS, while remaining its own game. The trade mechanics, the tourism thingy and the World Congress are all fresh additions.

I only hope that Civ 6 will be
    developed by the same awesome team. Expand
  40. Feb 10, 2014
    A truly brilliant game. Not normally a grand-strategy fan but I have found myself losing hours at a time as I guide my fledgling nation through the ages. Graphic, game play, music, depth of options are all sensational. My one warning - and it is a big one - is that this game is a massive time-thief !
  41. Sep 7, 2013
    When other developers turn tiny expansions to their own games (Saints Row IV), they turned something that could have been Civilization VI into a cheap expansion. I approve!
  42. Sep 10, 2013
    Played this for days and enjoyed it so much.Almost everything has been fixed in this expansion that wasn't right in the original Civilization V. The late game is no longer boring, the AI is fixed.

A solid 9/10 for a must own!
  43. Mar 22, 2014
    BNW is probably the best expansion to Civilization, if not to any game ever.

It adds trade and world congress diplomacy mechanics that are both great fun and offer tons of different options on how to play the game. Also culture mechanics is adjusted in a really great way. In short all the changes made to the game brought much more fun and variability.

The only downsides are dumped AI
    (as stupid as in previous game releases) and for me quite stupid time speed when later on you don't even have enough time to use new units, because before you ever use them you're ready to upgrade them again (but this again is not really fault of the expansion, but rather strange concept of original game).

There are other things that were added (civs, wonders, techs...).

Overall great expansion that almost makes CIV V new and without a doubt much better game.
  44. Mar 5, 2014
    I played the base game for this and i enjoyed it, but multiplayer was unbearable and it didn't really address some problems that the game contained (such as the painfully easy diplomatic victory ). But Brave New World has to be the greatest expansion pack of all time, everything is perfect and 2k games have done an amazing job and on top of that it the music is beautiful. I have had so much on this game, and I could not recommend it more. If you are going to play Civilization V ,then you are doing yourself wrong if you do not have Brave New World installed. Expand
  45. Jan 6, 2014
    Wonderful game, but still, there are aspects that need to be fixed. The gameplay, the magnitude which this game offers it's fantastic, granting you hours and hours of turns of intense battles and the possibility to admire your creation throughout the ages. Still, the AI needs a few improvements regarding its strategies, being extremely easy to defeat up to Immortal. The multiplayer needs a complete overhaul, the game being unplayable with over 4 players, due to lag and the never ending "Waiting for players". Good choice of leaders, nice features and great music, especiallywhile playing England or the Celts. Expand
  46. Feb 13, 2014
    The Meier humble bundle makes this such a cheap prospect, if you're a fan of TBS, you have to buy this. Insane level of detail and immersion. I've played Civ off and on from the first version and my only criticism is that if you're totally new to the concept, the extra depth offered by the two major expansions might be a barrier to access by the novice. Having said this, it is possible to play on lower difficulties till you find your feet, plus the in game tutorials are well executed. Expand
  47. Feb 24, 2014
    Civ V with it's last expansion is more fun than the original Civ V, especially because it does not have so many bugs, technical issues and other problems. It plays well and delivers exactly what a latest Civlisation clone should. I spent many hours with this game and each game I played was one big adventure, no matter if I won or lost. Exploring the game-play and deepening the understanding of it has been fascinating so far. I think this expansion finally made Civ V a truly great and complex game. Expand
  48. Apr 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has the distinction of being the most frustrating I've ever seen. It must have been designed with the explicit goal of giving the player an ulcer. Sure it's feature-rich, but the gameplay itself is layer upon intricate layer of nuisance. You have to keep track of dozens of different factors and events at once and every possible way the game could be made more difficult has been done. All this makes Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World, about as entertaining as trying to solve a Rubix Cube (with a broken elbow). Firaxis has sucked the fun out of the whole series. After playing more than 20 times and not having one enjoyable game, I think my ten-year fanship of Civilization is over.

A precis:
    • Firaxis powered the holy hell out of Barbarians. Expect to spend half the game fighting them off left, right, up and down, and for encampments to respawn exactly where you just cleared them, and to spin off a new Barbarian unit every two or three turns, it feels like.
    • Firaxis changed most Social Policies, essentially making them complex and useless. If Social Policies were your security blanket for Happiness and Gold, get ready to tear your hair out.
    • What the 'World Congress' usually does is 'ban' your luxuries one after another, devastating your Happiness and causing civil war.
    • Firaxis has definitely made unit upkeep more expensive. After even a few units you'll find that deleting one saves 5-7 gold per turn. Ridiculous. Try to keep a good standing army for all these Barbarians and the highly arbitrary declarations of war, and you'll run a deep deficit, mess up your research and then find your units spontaneously disbanding.

In short, this is a game you'll need to play for about 400 hours before you figure out how to have any fun. It's honestly just a way to stress yourself out. Now you know why there are walkthroughs the size of encyclopedias, instructional YouTube channels, and obsessive message boards all dedicated to gaming nerds who make it the object of their lives to beat Civ V. If you're not willing to make that commitment (which most normal human beings are not) throw the CD out the window and never buy a Civ installment again.
  49. Jun 24, 2014
    Compared to the previous extension Gods and Kings, this is a REAL expansion. It changes everything, the cultural victory is now really fun to play, and the trade system is a very good addition.

Now with G&K and this, we have a full game worth a 9/10. "-But you gave it a 8!" "-I know I know". I remove 1 point for this not being in the game in the first place. It was planned, so put it in
    the game from the beginning, and you'll earn my point.

I'm not a huge fan of the Ideology system in offline mode, because you're pretty sure you'll have to change it if you're discovering it first, but it is a good end-game bonus.

Conclusion : DLC system is crap, but full game is a success ! Try to get it all at a low price if you're new to it
  50. Dec 19, 2013
    Alright, I'll admit it. This expansion finally made Civ V fun for me. I still wouldn't rate it above IV, but the new systems and fixes to old ones have done enough that I actually enjoy playing it now. If you can get it on sale, this is definitely worth picking up.
  51. Sep 17, 2013
    Brave New World is like a patch to the original game. It fixes few things and adds couple of new features but the underlying game is still the same as before.
    AI combat abilities are still horrible and added complexity off the game makes the AI even worse performer.
    Also the user interface has the same quirks as before.
    Only buy BNW if you are die hard fan of the series or can get the
    game dirty cheap. Expand
  52. Jul 19, 2013
    The best Civ to date. The new culture and religion system finally makes sense. Also the new trade system is great. The concept that the culture and religion spread along trade routes is very realistic and well implemented. The city states are perhaps overpowered but managing the relations with them adds to the complexity.
  53. Jul 19, 2013
    Imagine a golden coin in all its glory, then getting some polisher and your coin shines like the sun, that's the feeling i get from playing this incarnation of perfection
  54. Sep 5, 2013
    One of the best time sinks of all time in the TBS world. A must own for any strategy fan, and even to those who are looking to play RTS/TBS this is a great first game.
  55. Jul 17, 2014
    Great expansion, worth the money. The reason why is simple, the expansion adds depth and mechanics to the game, it's not just a visual upgrade for some units or a map pack, it changes the dynamics and fixes major flaws.

This expansion makes the later part of the game as fun as the beginning, something I thought I'd never see in Civ V. This expansion also makes it so that someone not in
    the lead by the end can still win if they play well enough, as well as overhauling the culture and diplomacy systems. Just an incredibly fun game, hour after hour, and this does nothing but help. Expand
  56. Jul 11, 2013
    This expansion finally makes CIV5 nearly as good as CIV4 and nearly just because of the terrible balance, which in time will surely be fixed. Thanks god it doesn't feel so arcade anymore due to this expansion, the complexity of previous CIV-titles is nearly restored.
  57. Jul 11, 2013
    That was positive: - Video quality - Intro Video - Clarity of controls -------------------------------------------------- ----------- Was negative: - Umstandliche control - Heavy introduction for beginners For me personally it was too complicated for me as a newcomer to the beginning. It would have been a tuturial to install. Otherwise, I liked Age of Empires and settlers then much better. Expand
  58. Jul 31, 2013
    Excerpt from review found at:

"Civilization V wasn't the first title I had played in the well-loved turn-based series, but it’s definitely the one I played for the longest. The new expansion improves on an already impressive core game to add many hours of extra gameplay, even for hardened veterans."

Brave new world is an impressive addition to the core game, with the new features making it a must-buy for fans of the genre and new players alike.
  59. Jul 28, 2013
    I love this game it is my first civ game, I love it but I do not like the whole unhappiness thing, that is really my only flaw with the game. Go out and buy this.
    P.S I got Gold edition then this at the same time.
  60. Jul 19, 2013
    The apex of it's genre, Civilization V Gods and Kings coupled with Brave New World makes for the best Civilization game ever, and a testament of how you can always find room to truly improve your game.
  61. Jul 27, 2013
  62. Aug 13, 2013
    Ask yourself a question. Did you like Civ 4? if the answer is yes then you're welcome to rejoice as this expansion wholly compliments Civ 5 by bringing by we things we love like culture and commerce! Yes, you can now play in the role of George Clooney or the Pope by ruling the world one converted soul at a time. My only complaint is why they did not release this for a much nicer $15 dollars. I guess it's because my trade caravan is still 5 turns away from Sid Meier's borders. If you want the complete Civ Experience, just buy the darn thing. Expand
  63. Jul 25, 2013
    BNW are completely worth of it's price. Late game period now are still competitive, you don't have to start a global war just to avoid boredom anymore. And the Venice it's a interesting new way to play Civilization.

Good game just became better.
  64. Jul 26, 2013
    I have logged maaaany hours in Civ V and many, many more in other Civ games (thousands?) and this expansion finally makes V an interesting experience through the ages. Only problem is it does not address the biggest weakness of Civ V: The combat AI. On emperor difficulty I try to get a culture or science victory and just barely hang on the entire game, but if I get attacked it is soooo easy to take enemy cities even when they have major tech advantages only my own desire to not win by domination stops me from steamrolling the AI. The REALLY need to focus the next expansion on the very difficult problem of combat AI. Then V could be one of the best games ever. Expand
  65. Jul 26, 2013
    I think my score for Civ 5 vanilla would be a 7. The first expansion maybe a 6. Brave New World gives us a lot of excellent new systems and ties them very neatly together with the systems from the original and first expansion. The way that trade, religion, diplomacy, spying, culture all tie together is really well done. This is the game we should have had from the beginning. Is it perfect? No, but if you have been on the fence about Civ 5, there is no reason to delay any more. This is a fantastic TBS game now. Expand
  66. Jul 27, 2013
    My job demands a lot of concentration, so I need a lot of breaks. During my breaks I play Civilization. Since buying BNW however, I find myself often, drifting to “something more engaging,” like Free Cell. I am a little amazed that I seem almost alone in getting bored with BNW.
    Civilization is a great franchise and I’d love to join the cheerleading team for BNW but can’t.
    The source of
    my boredom appears almost trivial but it’s killing the game for me. So that I don’t appear to overstate the case, I will put that up front before moving on to what I consider genuinely critical improvements to the game.
    As I read, I see that even huge maps are smaller in BNW than in previous iterations. The first effect is that in the dozen or so games I have started, I have been immediately hemmed in by other civs with barely room for strategic expansion, short of whipping together an army of warriors and archers and going on a do or die attack at the expense of measured cultural and scientific development. (I play Marathon/ Huge Map/ Abundant Resources).
    BNW’s trend to fewer cities and smaller maps also appears to create issues for mid-game strategic resources. I don’t enjoy the nasty surprise of reaching Industrialization, (coal), Biology, (oil) or Electricity, (uranium) and finding no reasonable access to critical resources, possibly apart from declaring war on a “friend.” (I completed Biology after circumnavigating every continent, exploring my own completely and found only three visible, onshore sources of oil none in reasonable access, requiring either that I forego Combustion, ie modern ships, planes, tanks,” or mounting an overseas invasion with Industrial Revolution military resources).
    Thus, I haven’t bothered to finish a single game of BNW. I WANT the military option and while open to Diplomatic, Cultural or even Science Victory I don’t want the choice forced upon me when faced with an exercise in futility acquiring strategic resources.
    This expansion has taken important steps, huge steps that are absolutely necessary for Civilization to achieve its full potential.
    The Cultural game with Great Writers and Great Musicians added to Great Artists, showcased in cultural edifices like the Louvre, the “architectural digs,” and World’s Fair all stand as clever enhancements to the cultural game.
    Diplomacy in previous iterations was plagued, either by pointless interruptions from other civs, “trading” on the ridiculous demands of other civs and finally the asinine Diplomatic Victory achieved through bribing city states in Civ 5 or G&K). With the new World Council (like the old UN) and the potential for collective action the Diplomacy game in BNW has taken a long stride forward.
    The Science Victory, virtually unchanged since I started playing (Civ II) needs similar renovation.
    The key here is that while all these innovations are great, we are not there yet.
    I believe, Civilization will become fully evolved when the Diplomatic, Cultural and Science elements emerge into their own. Each needs to become a stand-alone option with move and (especially) countermove, planning, strategic choices, flow, and the other factors adding to a great gaming experience. That is not the case now, they are textures and adjuncts. Nobody will buy Civilization on the strength of the evolving but fledgling Cultural, Diplomatic and Science elements.
    Civilization needs to ensure that its “new strengths” are fully secure and stable before it drifts too far from its old strength. I hope for some patches to rebalance the game. I am looking for mods to see if I can still save this game.
  67. Aug 1, 2013
    More Civilization 5 awesome. With Steam Workshop and the new DLC I will sped more time in this great game. Only downside is the high price: 30$. But it`s every single buck.
  68. Aug 2, 2013
    Civilization V: Brave New World is easily the best Civilization V expansion, of all time, and may even be the best Civilization expansion ever. Following in the footsteps of Gods and Kings, an expansion that did a pretty good job at expanding the early-to-middle game via religion, and an empire's worth of new features. Brave New World does not add as many small tweaks, but it adds and refines until Civ 5 is pretty much gold.

The major thing that the expansion does is that it refines the peaceful methods of the game, culture and diplomacy. The expansion also adds trade routes, ideologies, and many other things that make the game excellent. The one complaint I have is that the American Civil War scenario removes much of the things that make Civ 5 great.
  69. Aug 9, 2013
    Content +++
    AI +
    Game-play +++

All in all this was the missing content to become the game a final product. I'm glad this was a DLC and no F2P. So YES! 10 points
  70. Aug 13, 2013
    Amazing DLC that improves and adds lots of thing in the vanilla and G&K, and the inclusion of ideologies and trade routes with the new civs makes this expansion a obligatory buy for Civ V fans
  71. Aug 20, 2013
    It's a good game yes. I liked all the new added features but after 200+ hours of game play in Civ 5 you start to get boring after a bit. The expansion didn't help this boredom much and it still felt a lot like the old game, and the biggest change I really saw was the trading. I wouldn't even call this a DLC, just a glorified "patch" they didn't add much to the game for it to be $30 honestly.
  72. Aug 20, 2013
    Brave New World is by a long shot better than Gods and Kings (At least for me) It adds a more detailed and diplomatic aspect in the industrial era and on-wards, however, this can add a certain degree of difficulty to obtain a victory near endgame, as the A.I seems to acknowledge that all it needs to do is make City-State allies, and subtracts from the brilliant effect that most of the Brave New World features provide, yet, overall a brilliant little bundle of cultural and diplomatic joy. Expand
  73. Aug 20, 2013
    Civilization is a game series where you create your own civilization and let your imagination run wild as your cities grow against the test of time.

This recent expansion of Civilization V has introduced a lot of changes and new features to the game that has finally made Civilization V as a whole comparable to the previous Civilization games. The new diplomatic system, and the trade
    system allows a new variety of ways to change the pace of the game. Also, the cultural victory change is so far the only feature that makes me intense in a good way, it's a heated competition on who has the nicest blue jeans.

Brave New World has definitely changed things for the better, and revived a game that a lot of speculation believed it to be a lost cause. The only major issue with this huge addition is the multiplayer. Multiplayer has always been a huge issue with Civilization V, and even in Gods & Kings, Brave New World fixed most of the major issues, but there are still tweaks that need to be done. If you are the fan of the series, and do not want to be disappointed, the expansions are a must need.

4.2/5

+ свобода).

+ улучшений...

+ 4 утра...

75. Sep 2, 2013
    I fell in love with this game. Civilization V and it's other expansion packs are an experience that nobody needs to miss!
    Despite the fact that the world editor cannot be in-game, which is sort of disappointing, but it's the only down-side I like to mention.
  76. Sep 16, 2013
    It is still less complex than Civilization 4 but this expansion did add a lot. I do still miss the cooperations, but the trade element it pretty worthwhile.
  77. Nov 30, 2013
    Best Strategy game on PC. Played now for close to 600 hours. The new Culture Victory mechanics in Brave New World is fantastic and extremely clever.

Civ 5 has always been a game that makes you think about what your opposition is upto behind the fog of war. Brave new World adds more to that intrigue. End game just got a lot more interesting.

Reccomend this one for any TBS fans.
  78. Sep 7, 2013
    brave new world adds excellent features to the game, making it better than civ IV if you also have the gods and kings thing I still do not agree with the cartoon-ish art style and would love to see a better AI but then, it seems we are still far away from AIs that can substitute real players.

since this expansion has caused me hours of enjoyment and game play, how can i give it
    anything else than a 9. Expand
  79. Sep 16, 2013
    I can't imagine playing Civ5 without this expansion. That sums up all you need to know about it. Although I think it's quite expensive for an expansion, the content and gameplay that it brings is a simple necessity.
  80. Oct 31, 2013
    WOW is this a much-needed boost for Civ 5 which was not terrible but also not very engaging either. Tourism, World Congress, new ways to use spies, some use for city-states and archaeologists really transform a mediocre game into a fun one.

If you gave up on Civ 5 then this will turn it around for you. If you have not bought Civ 5 then buy this with it or you will regret it later!
  81. Apr 26, 2014
    A wonderfully fun game, and yet such a frustrating one. The game frequently crashes as you progress to the late game though, which means I rarely finish them, and the multiplayer has way too many connectivity problems to make it a reliable game for those long night extravaganzas. Too many civs are absolutely useless, but on the other hand, it is fun to experiment and try new things, though most of these don't make any difference by the time you make it to the late game, if your computer can handle it all that is.

Still, it is fun to claim the world as your own. It's fun being the man on top, and it's immensely satisfying to succeed.
  82. Dec 2, 2013
    Amazing expansion it feels like it adds in a whole new game, it changes the victories, adds new civilizations to play and even a bunch of new campaigns!
  83. Dec 11, 2013
    "Brave New World" fixes all the frustrating problems that made the original "Civilization V" such an agonizing experience. It adds new game concepts such as tourism, world congress and many other exiting things you can do with your civilization's culture. Wonderful game. The best in the series so far.
  84. Dec 19, 2013
    An excellent completion of the series. Civ V is a very enjoyable game that is accessible to both light and hard core strategists. The inclusion of this expansion and the Gods and Kings expansion make the game thoroughly enjoyable.
  85. Aug 8, 2014
    This game is turn based game, but the game is not bad. The game is improve from new nation. That make game is better. The game tells the history of many nation.
  86. Feb 2, 2014
    BNW has to be pretty much a great expansion back that enhances the game even further. On the Steam Holiday Sale I bought Civ V Gold + BNW, and I really like the new features in the game. This was my first time playing the Civilization series in years. When I first got into Civilization by buying Civ III I didn't know what to do, but I got the learning curve and I was able to go smoothly when I bought Civ V. Here's what I see here:

-Culture and the cultural victory: Everything has been changed, and there's now an option to spread your culture to other civs and dominate everyone else. Great artists, writers and musicians can make masterpieces and can be placed in museums and other culture-related buildings. You can get matching bonuses such as if all the masterpieces belong to the same civilization, which brings in more culture.

World Congress: You can make your own version of the UN in this expansion. Host cities for the World Games, pass embargoes, ban luxuries and even become world leader.

Archaeology: Send archaeologists to investigate sites, and you can either turn into historical artifacts and place them into museums or build a landmark which increases culture.

Trade routes: Build caravans and make money and science off of them, and spread your religion too.

Policy Trees and Ideologies: There are two new policy trees in the game: Aesthetics, which enhances your civilization's ability to spread culture and Exploration, for overseas expansion and trade. Ideologies are also a brand new feature. Ideologies are almost to the end of the game, can can be used to enhance your civilization and gives you more bonuses with tenets.

Overall It was worth the $15 (It was half off), the gameplay mechanics are stunning, it feels it's like how a Piplup evolves. BNW is the Empoleon!
  87. Jun 18, 2014
    Last Played: June 2014 PROS: + Replay value better than many peers + Some interesting strategy elements + Stack of Doom (huge pile of units from earlier entries) no longer a strategy CONS: - Wars were never balanced – Only 1 viable early game strategy – City governors gone from this entry REVIEW: First things first: this game, as a whole (all the DLCs are required to make a single complete game so you won’t find me reviewing other “parts” of CiV and if I were feeling petty I'd take off points for this). Furthermore, as a sequel, this game can never stand truly apart from its predecessors; good and bad, it will always be compared. My personal favorite entry in this series was actually a player-made total conversion mod with more diversity of units for Civ IV called “Fall From Heaven II” so my review is actually best read in light of the complexity of that game, rather than any of the “vanilla” civ games of the past.

The greatest strength of this game is that it has a larger and more active modding community than any other that I know of. Hate the AI? There are mods that try to address this (though no good ones I can immediately pinpoint for this expansion). Want another playable civ, rule tweaks or other maps? There are mods for these, too. What this means is that my rating for the base game could be different from your experience, depending on the mods you install. This game has the potential for some really thoughtful strategy elements (though like all strategy games it streamlines some things), such as putting citizens in just the right “building specialist slot”, forcing a city to work a particular hexagonal tile, stopping city growth to limit empire unhappiness and so forth. Most importantly for me, the wars are (somewhat) more intelligent than previously because you cannot stack units, so positioning units correctly for battle becomes more important than it was (although there is a mod that allows unit stacking if you are crying about this omission).

Unfortunately, this does not mean that combat is actually very good (IMO war was always the worst part of the Civ series so an improvement does not save this poor mechanic). Now instead of bringing “stacks of doom” (where a huge number of units was more important than type or era) the AI will bring a “carpet of doom” (i.e. a swarm of units over many hexes) to try to kill you. However, the movement limitations of the new style usually wins and loses battles and the AI doesn’t actually seem to understand this well. As a consequence a defending human-controlled range unit from a present or future era (vs the attacking unit) can dominate a much larger AI army. The closest thing any of the DLC’s did to re-balance war was to give the units 100 hp so that minimum damage and healing rates could be influenced, which really doesn’t do anything to make the AI more dangerous militarily-you’ll mostly struggle when trying to take same-era cities with lots of defensive buildings, since the AI units will all die easily. Another problem is the lack of early game variety in strategies for success. Most players agree that there is one first tech to research and one first policy to adopt. Granted, things open up a lot after that, but it suggests that the earliest techs and policies are unbalanced. One thing that personally makes me crazy is the omission of city governors from previous games (they weren’t perfect, but they were better than nothing). If you conquer an enemy city you can “puppet” it for a hands-off city that manages itself (although it will auto-build maintenance consuming buildings you don’t need), but you cannot control which tiles it works or its growth rate. If there were a way to direct the computer to build only a certain type of building (e.g. only economic buildings only when available) large empires would be manageable; as it is having to choose every single building project makes empires of more than about 6+ cities unwieldy.

Is this game fun? In my opinion it is, and there is plenty of fan-content to extend play. Am I pissed that the game was only partially finished until this DLC entry? Absolutely. You can bet that when Civ VI comes out (you know they won’t be able to resist money for a sequel) I’ll be waiting until the inevitable DLCs flesh out that game. In the meantime, CiV has finally matured enough to warrant purchase.
  88. Feb 26, 2014
    I really enjoyed Gods and Kings, Religion was a nice touch.

I really think that Brave New World misses the mark with Tourism and the way the game now also handles culture.

If you are going for Culture, you are at a major disadvantage...period. You have to out last everyone to nearly the very end with BnW. Warmongers are at a bigger advantage and if you miss any key wonders you can
    kiss your culture good bye.

It is not "more challenging" you never have any issue if you follow "the formula" it is just .... dull.
    Centuries of doing nothing. Literally nothing. Then you dig up some sites and hope for the best.

It is not all bad. The diverse cultural branches that you get MUCH LATER IN THE GAME are pretty cool and have some interesting bonus. To bad that as soon as you can, you just go Freedom and then buy the space race pieces you need with Gold while the other poor guy is still trying to scrape the culture together to win.

Not a terrible expansion, but did not improve much on Gods And Kings imo. (New cultures are always cool)
  89. Jul 18, 2014
    GOOD: Great turn-based strategy game where you start from the ancient age (can change where you start from) to the information age; As you play, you discover technologies which transfer you to different eras allowing more options for your empire; 5 ways to win the game (Time, Domination, Science, Cultural, and Diplomatic) which require different strategies to win; Caters real well to new players who don't know how to play; There are 43 civs to play as(in this expansion) and they all have their own units, buildings, tile improvements, and bonuses that can help win certain type of victories; Interacting with other civilizations by trading, discussing issues, and/or demanding things from them; ALL CIVS SPEAK THEIR OWN LANGUAGUES when on the diplomacy screen (ex. The Ottomans speaks Turkish, The Aztecs speak Nahuatl, The British speak English, The Chinese speak Mandarin, etc.); New City-States which are smaller civs that you have to do favors for and if you ally with them they can give bonuses, units, resources, and go to war with you against your enemies, all of them have their own personalities which determine what kind of quests they give you, and they can act as buffer zones between you and other civilizations; can choose how many civs and city-states to play with and how large the map is(can delete city-states if you want); Deal with barbarians as always; New hex grid map that is better than the old square grid; can choose maps you want to play on (continents, archipelago, Pangaea, fractal(all 4 are prodecurely generated), or Earth with the same landmasses); 8 difficulties to choose from; Strategic resources are important to the game that can make new units, buildings, and also can be used for trade; Luxury resources are important for trade, gold, food, production, etc.); The cool Happiness system used for growing your empire; Can gain culture to adopt policies which give bonuses for what type of empire you want to have (Liberty is best for large empires, Honor best for military based empires, Rationalism best for science in empires, etc.) and can give great people to help with those policies; Use faith to create a pantheon of gods and then turn it into a religion(you can name your own religion); Gold used for trade, buying stuff, maintaining buildings and units, upgrading units etc.; Later in the game, the world congress starts and you can propose resolutions that can be voted on by you and other civs with delegates; Workers and Work Boats are used to make tile improvements(ex. workers can make farms, mines, quarries, etc. and work boats make fishing boats and oil rigs); Caravans and Cargo Ships are used to establish trade routes with other civs and city-states which increase gold and pressure religion to other cities; Units have increased movement on flatlands and decreased movement on marshes, hills, forests, jungles, and rivers; Can use spies to steal techs, uncover plots, and rig world congress elections; Can discover natural wonders which will give bonuses if in your borders; Can build world wonders use for huge upgrades in your civilization; No military unit stacking(adds more strategy on the battlefield); New ranged and and siege units that attack but don't get attacked back(ex. firing a catapult from a few tiles away, before it would attack like a regular melee unit face to face); Before battle the game will show you the outcome of the battle; Multiplayer functions; Beautiful Soundtrack with culture appropriate music for each civ and gets intense in wartime

BAD: Scenarios are disappointing and force you to play the game a specific type of way like the Civil War scenario which is total war; There are a some missing civilizations in this game like where are the Sumerians, Khmer, or the Mali and that just names a few; A lot of times when I play, there is a bug that makes my mouse disappear which annoys the hell out of me

FINAL VERDICT: This game back in 2010 is a 9/10, but this expansion in 2013 makes the game into a full 10/10! It adds so much and carries over the features from the previous expansion Gods and Kings. Civilization V: Brave New World is an ALL TIME LEGEND and is my favorite strategy game of all time!
  90. Jun 5, 2014
    With this final expansion comes the last bit of depth that was missing from the original launch, finally bringing it to the level of civilization 4. It still bothers me that people are expected to pay for problems that should have never been present to begin with but the industry is firm in its cash grab mentality and honestly, people (myself included) can't do much about it, so best enjoy it. Also, once again, I can only go so far in my complaining as this also added another 40 hours of play to my hundreds. Expand
  91. Jun 19, 2014
    And now the game is playable, two expansions later. It's still not the game of its predecessors but it is playable. If you have an audiobook running. Get in Game of Thrones book 3 or maybe a Dresden files while playing Korea or some such and the game can work out. But, what does it say that a person needs a book running to keep the entirety of their mind occupied here?

Graphics
    don't make for a great game. You need meat and complexity.

Trade routes make sense. That they can be pillaged also makes sense. What doesn't make sense is you still can't trade technology. Again, this reeks of the whiny crowd not liking other people getting a tech before them and then monopolizing the trade market by trading it out before them. Trading technology and having some exclusivity in these trades simply makes sense.

Espionage still lacks depth.

Religion lacks oomph.

General and Admirals still don't do much, armies and navies not really there.

Tourism adds but seems expensive social policy wise for the payout. Producing archaeologists for +2. Yay? Yes, you can exploit this into more, but it still falls short. Kind of lame as a "win" option, just like the science victory always was and still is.

I'm going as high as a 7 because with both expansions it's an alright thing to play alongside an audiobook. Without the meat of a good book though, it's still a 5. Bad form Fireaxis, you can do better, we've seen you do better.
  92. Sep 4, 2014
    My experiences with the Civilization series begin in my childhood. For Christmas one year I received Civilization: Revolution for the DS. At this point in my life I was generally ignorant to the videogaming world so all of my decisions on games were based solely on what other kids in my school already had. I can attribute Civ: Rev to being the game that changed that forever.

Civilization: Brave New World completes what is probably one of the most influential games I have ever played. Civilization V as a whole will always be what I consider my favorite strategy game and with Brave New World, I can happily say that every dollar of the $130 I spent on this game were very much worth it. From the new Ideologies to the expanded trade systems to the new Civs. This expansion really just made the game for me and for that, I will always hold the names Sid Meier and Firaxis to the highest reverence.
  93. Sep 18, 2014
    While i do admit that Civ V vannila was,,, underwhelming, Civ V:BNW Completely fixes all the problems that plagued the original. better AI, Expanded Diplomacy, Trade routes are hella fun, MUCH better late-game with ideologies (and Xcom cause why not). Overall, if you ever doubted that Civ V was awesome-tastic, pick this one up, it's tottaly worth it. Civ V:BNW-Best Civ to date.
  94. Jul 27, 2013
    The source of

1. Oct 7, 2013
    THe Brave New World add-on has a lot of good new stuff: cold war, better cultural victory rules, world congress, archeology… I only wish the AI would be better in battles. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    Brave New World is without a doubt the best expansion to Civilization V. The core gameplay modes and win states has received great and well needed updates which gives a more varied and balanced experience. Of course there is still some dead air during the game sessions but the new content will disappoint no one. Even if it is three years old Civilization V is with this expansion still one of the best ways to combine entertainment with education.
  3. Aug 19, 2013
    It is easily the best additional content so far, although it seems to lack balance because there are several civilizations that are not considered in multiplayer.