7.7

1. Dec 18, 2014
    Fantastic installment in the series, at launch there were a lot of issues and the multiplayer was all but unplayable but over the years the various expansions have massively enhanced and improved this game into the utter gem it is today. Great single player, great multiplayer, probably the best turn based strategy game I've ever played. Love it.
  2. Dec 11, 2014
    Wow, what a complete snoozer. I really enjoyed the earlier versions of Civ which at least had the virtue of moving right along but this one, OMG, how utterly slow and un-fun. When I first started playing Civ it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to get started and then to have fun while learning how to play. This sluggish piece of dreck took forever to do anything. I gave up,Wow, what a complete snoozer. I really enjoyed the earlier versions of Civ which at least had the virtue of moving right along but this one, OMG, how utterly slow and un-fun. When I first started playing Civ it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to get started and then to have fun while learning how to play. This sluggish piece of dreck took forever to do anything. I gave up, let it gather dust and resurrected one of my old 32 bit machines so I could use that to play earlier versions. Expand
  3. Nov 20, 2014
    This is wan off tha werst gams ive nevr plyed in my lfe...yh bhmop gv;ogfdfgdfgdfghdfhdfghdfghdfhfghdfhdfghdfhdfghdfghdfghdfghdfghdfghdfhdfhdfghdfghfghfdh
  4. Nov 19, 2014
    Let's be clear, I've been a fan of this franchise for a very long time now. I am a great fan of strategy games and relish playing against others. This game, despite being fascinating at first (It's a big change from civilization 4, whether that's a good thing or not will be discussed later in the comment) but very quickly, the only thrill you'll recieve from civilization 5 is from mods andLet's be clear, I've been a fan of this franchise for a very long time now. I am a great fan of strategy games and relish playing against others. This game, despite being fascinating at first (It's a big change from civilization 4, whether that's a good thing or not will be discussed later in the comment) but very quickly, the only thrill you'll recieve from civilization 5 is from mods and multiplayer.

Multiplayer is fun, I've poured more than one thousand hours into it and quite enjoyed it. But it's sub par, and there is an extreme lack of innovation. Most reviewers usually review the single player game, and since that's the case I'll cover that segment first. Single player get's boring quick, the AI doesn't become much smarter in later difficulties and just cheats with higher perks. The game is unbalanced as hell and you can basically win any war against the AI no matter what difficulty or scenario. In the base game, there is no religion, no spying and relatively boring social policies (By the way, some of it is just poor thinking, there is absolutely NO reason why you don't grab some then the other). The game, at a glance is fun and quite friendly to new unexperienced players, but if your looking for a decent game as a down to heart civilization fan you will be disappointed.

The DLC mongering is terrible, there are so many DLCs (some even demanding you pay 5$ for one civilization) Regrettebly, if you want to play with religion, tourism, spies, and so on you need pay over 60$! Don't even get me started by the "map packs" which are for some reason client side when it comes to multiplayer(Yes, if the host has a generation configuration that the players don't have, you can't play the game... It's not like the maps offer any new content that would make those who don't have the DLC incompatible)
    Diplomacy is shortsided, it's not much better then civilization 4, but there should be more innovation on civilization 5's part. City states can be useful in singleplayer, but sometimes actually get in the way of expansion. Speaking of which, I love the new city bombardment and health, but the health is way too overpowered. In late games units can't even touch a city, even when the city is completely surrounded.
    Now on to multiplayer; the multiplayer is basically what you should play for, the AI is blunt and uninteresting but even the multiplayer experience has it's own flaws. For one thing, when playing against others does the inbalances in the game show, some civilizations are overpowered, you can win early game wars by spamming ranged units (Yeah, warrior versus archer. Archer wins!) which completely defies strategic logic. Some resort to what we players call "turtling" and "wonder hoarding (the less vulgar version of the term) to address those who sit on their corner of the map with 1-2 cities and take all the wonders (Buildings that can only be built once in the world that give large bonuses) and beeline technologies. In the end, the people who just turtle and hit next turn win over those who actually try to play the game. Granted, turtling can be done legitimately (With none of the exploits or anything) but most don't really care about everyone else's game. There are many glitches, one that hasn't been fixed launch until AFTER their "Sid Meier's Beyond Earth" is released. The particular glitch I'm talking about was the "trade glitch" were people can basically demand and accept anything from another player (Pretty much everything they had) without the other player even having a say in the whole matter. That's just one of many glitches that Fireaxis appearently doesn't care about, as they fix that ONE glitch after the next game has been released (Thanks Fireaxis). The community on multiplayer, though some are legit, are mostly trolls, kids who are drawn by the increased simplicity, exploiters and those who will quit on a minutes notice. City states are abused, exploits are used... and I almost forgot... no MULTIPLAYER MOD SUPPORT. This angers me because independent modders have been able to do this unofficially, Firaxis has done this in the past and since mods fix and enhance the game it seems insane that they don't allow us multiplayer users to play with mods without a third party program. Even with DLCs (You pay more then double the price for original game for these) multiplayer and singleplayer is below average. Now, let me remind you, I love this game and I have played multiplayer vigorously but I am tired of the DLC mongering, the catering to simplicity, the lack of innovation, none of these problems EVER being addressed. I rarely ever finish a multiplayer game because people crash left and right late game (and sometimes early game), sometimes games freeze up randomly and other times the game crashes when one person experiences difficulty. To sum up, this game is not worth buying without mods or the overpriced and numerous DLCs. If you are new to the franchise I recommend you buy previous titles first.
  5. Nov 16, 2014
    This is in the running for the best game ever. I've played over 600 hours of this because the whole "One More Turn" thing is real. You cannot stop playing this. Once you really get your Civilization up and going you started to feel like you're finally getting somewhere and competing with friends is sensational.
  6. Nov 11, 2014
    Had never played in a turn-based strategy. But then decided to start with this game. And did not regret. Such variation in strategies and globality I really like. Just a huge number of ways to develop your state. I am very happy, maybe I will dedicate this game more than one hour.
  7. Oct 25, 2014
    One of the greatest games ever made. It was one of my first purchases 2 years ago when I picked up PC gaming and I haven't looked back! Every DLC addition adds to an already great game and with all the DLC it's just perfect. Such a fun game, worth every penny.
  8. Oct 25, 2014
    This game is alright. It lacks the complexity of the full Civ V with all DLC. This means it will improve with DLC which will be really expensive so thanks 2K
  9. Oct 24, 2014
    If you enjoyed Civ 4, this game is... not good. It continues the painful trend from Civ 3 of making you focus on smaller civilizations. Happiness is hard to understand, the units look all the same, and the game is slow... Stick to Civ 4.
  10. Oct 20, 2014
    4 years and I still find new things to do. 4 years and i still play regularly. I think that I have to give it a ten at this point because it clearly is amazing if its the only game I've played continuously for 4 years.
  11. Oct 15, 2014
    So I’ve played civ iv and I’ve got to say that the game is a lot different from civ V, are some things dumbed down yeah sure but I would say that the game is unbelievably fun I’ve got over 400hours into the game and for the people that say the games easy or that it simplified they probably never played past the first 100-200 turns, **** just try to get a domination victory in this gameSo I’ve played civ iv and I’ve got to say that the game is a lot different from civ V, are some things dumbed down yeah sure but I would say that the game is unbelievably fun I’ve got over 400hours into the game and for the people that say the games easy or that it simplified they probably never played past the first 100-200 turns, **** just try to get a domination victory in this game it’s a freaking mind screw, the stacks of doom were ridiculous in civ iv making things a little cheap and gay. people that say civ v is boring in comparison to other civ games need to realize that this is not the same as those games they are not civ v and if they hate the game because it doesn’t play like civ iv or civ 3 or 2 they should just play those games, hell sometimes I want to pick civ iv up but I won’t because it’s kind of outdated so yeah. Expand
  12. Oct 14, 2014
    Oh dear. While the graphics have improved, many core gameplay elements have been changed from prior versions of the Civ series, and not typically for the better. For example, you can now only put one unit on each tile - which makes moving your army a massive chore compared to previous games. City-states also require a lot more micromanagement than previous games where you dealt only withOh dear. While the graphics have improved, many core gameplay elements have been changed from prior versions of the Civ series, and not typically for the better. For example, you can now only put one unit on each tile - which makes moving your army a massive chore compared to previous games. City-states also require a lot more micromanagement than previous games where you dealt only with the big empires. All in all, it feels like the game has been dumbed down, with too much focus on graphics over gameplay, relative to the previous titles in the series. If you haven't played strategy games before, you can try it. If you have, though, you're better off with Civ 4, or one of the older games in the series. Expand
  13. Oct 6, 2014
    I'm no turn-based strategy games fan and Civilization V is actually the first one I ever play of this kind.
    Still I have to say I enjoyed playing this game.
    Still I have to say I enjoyed playing this game.

Just one thing I found quite off, it seems like other countries ASK to get burned down to the ground, I found the diplomacy part quite hard to understand, or I actually didn't understand it at all, because everyone was angry at me even if I did nothing to them...

Anyway, really good game or, better, a really good game if you get a package with all DLC contents, because I don't even wanna know what was this game without its 14 DLC packages (14 it's a lot, probably too much).
  14. Sep 28, 2014
    This game series needs some work. They seem to try to do the same game over and over, and this one gets boring quickly. Not much to tell against it, it is clearly not bad, but it is not fun either. Hex & no stack is a good feature (for combat units, for others it is not), but otherwise, what changed since the first of the series? 6 is a bit harsh, but punishes the lack of improvements &This game series needs some work. They seem to try to do the same game over and over, and this one gets boring quickly. Not much to tell against it, it is clearly not bad, but it is not fun either. Hex & no stack is a good feature (for combat units, for others it is not), but otherwise, what changed since the first of the series? 6 is a bit harsh, but punishes the lack of improvements & the DLC politics. Expand
  15. Sep 28, 2014
    Civilization V was pure crap when it was released in 2010. And despite all it's expansions and pointless DLC's it is still utter crap.

Civ 5 is a dumbed down arcade game. As the game progresses you find that nothing interesting really ever happens. Turn after turn of pointlessly pressing the end turn button. Every design decision seems to come from the developers wish to do stuff

Every design decision seems to come from the developers wish to do stuff differently and cater to the casual masses. The results is the mentioned dumbed downed piece of turd, which is no doubt loved by casual gamers around the globe.
  16. Sep 24, 2014
    Nice graphics / sound / music
    Improper balance of heroes ... some pretty useless
    a bit slow at start and turn very fast once you reach industrial era... i believe it should be slower.

DLC should be free...
  17. Sep 18, 2014
    Civilization 5 is a fun game, that will devour all your time. As addicting as the game is, Its not without its faults. They introduced a hex system which works really well. But the AI doesn't feel like they are acting like a true ruler would, and late game it is impossible to set up fair trade deals. And when you hit the 1800's the game has a really bad frame rate. Especially if you, orCivilization 5 is a fun game, that will devour all your time. As addicting as the game is, Its not without its faults. They introduced a hex system which works really well. But the AI doesn't feel like they are acting like a true ruler would, and late game it is impossible to set up fair trade deals. And when you hit the 1800's the game has a really bad frame rate. Especially if you, or the AI are warmongering. This is one of the rare games that encourages the community to create mods for the game.
    Multiplayer: Multiplayer is really boring. There are NO unit animations. And its gets boring almost instantly. And with lots of players it takes forever for a single turn to pass.
    They did nothing innovative in this game, Sure you have a hex grid and you can't stack units but playing safe gets old, especially this many games in. Overall a 7/10
  18. Sep 13, 2014
    a strategy fans dream come true. This game is simple to learn and reaches for that oh so hard to reach gigantic scale that strategy fans crave. also has an extremely high replay value. My only complaint is that it is puzzling that the game wasnt released with the content found in brave new world and gods and kings, I guess its a good money making trick.
  19. Sep 9, 2014
    It feels rushed. A lot of hardware compatability issues. Over all a unique experience. Great mods and scripts available. Features many civs and map choices. Pushes your CPU to the limit though.
  20. Sep 8, 2014
    This review is a bit late considering Civilization Beyond Earth is being released in about a month but I feel it necessary to do anyway. Civilization V is THE best strategy game by far that I have ever played, watched, and heard of and that is an honest opinion. I have clocked in over 350 hours of game play utilizing every feature the game has to offer from each civilization, eachThis review is a bit late considering Civilization Beyond Earth is being released in about a month but I feel it necessary to do anyway. Civilization V is THE best strategy game by far that I have ever played, watched, and heard of and that is an honest opinion. I have clocked in over 350 hours of game play utilizing every feature the game has to offer from each civilization, each difficulty, each scenario, and each map type multiple times. I have all of the downloadable content and I do not feel as if a penny i spent on this game was wasted. I wholeheartedly recommend this absolutely amazing game and all it has to offer from Gods and Kings to Brave New World and every civilization and map pack in between, I can not wait for Beyond Earth to be released so I can spend 300 more hours exploring it. This game is truly worth a good review. Expand
  21. Sep 3, 2014
    While Civ V is a great game, and probably the best turn based 4x game out, that is mostly because it has no competition. It has a lack of unit and civilization diversity, with poor patching and performance issues.

The AI is as dumb as ever, despite it apparently focusing on winning the game, rather then just role playing a country. Some AI civs will go for a cultural, or diplomatic victory, completley ignoring their military, and being invaded by a neighbouring civ. Even offers to join the war on their side, or ask for open borders, to help defend them, has them ignoring you and not accepting, until they are eventually conquered.

It also requires steam to install and patch, whether or not you purchase a physical copy of the game. A major let down.

But like I said, it is still the best game of it's type.
  22. Aug 31, 2014
    I've never played a Civ game before. And from screenshots, reviews and lets play videos, this seemed like the most boring video game ever. But I was looking for good games I haven't played and decided to give this a try. At first, I sucked bad, got bored and just Retired when I pissed off every other nation by invading a city-state and then tried to invade Portugal with a few brawl units..I've never played a Civ game before. And from screenshots, reviews and lets play videos, this seemed like the most boring video game ever. But I was looking for good games I haven't played and decided to give this a try. At first, I sucked bad, got bored and just Retired when I pissed off every other nation by invading a city-state and then tried to invade Portugal with a few brawl units.. On my second day playing, 7 hours went by without me even realizing it. I'm making progress and I can't stop thinking about what to do next with my session.

This game has a steep learning curve, and it might not even be "fun" in the traditional way; but once you grasp the basics (something made very simple with a very thorough in-game tutorial system), then you can easily spend countless hours building your Civ and never realizing it.

I don't know if this is the best Civilization game out there or not, nor do I care; this game is like a drug.
  23. Aug 18, 2014
    I play Civilization games since the 1, and liked every and each one. But the 5 is certainly my favorite. Graphics are great, sounds are great, AI is great (even if there is a big difference when the map is small islands, much easier to win then). The freedom to have mods developed is also great.

But what makes me like it above the others is how Culture is treated. This gives the game a great new side, you can make a civ that doesn't attack the others and still win the game. (Note: you need all the DLC installed for this to be true)

The no pile up rule is also a welcome aspect. In Civ4 it was easy to lost account of how many pieces you had on each square, so no more of this problem now. I only wanted the map scale to be bigger, so we could still have more pieces in battle at the same time, and more detail on pieces abilities on terrains.

Anyway Civ5 is great and I really like it. So much I already play it for 725 hours. And still struggling to win all the time on level King!
  24. Aug 6, 2014
    Sid Meier's Civilization V can be summed up in one word: addicting. I find it extremely difficult to pull myself away from this game at most times, and I end up playing for hours upon hours. It's exhilarating to choose a civilization and try to dominate the other opposing civilizations. Whether winning by cultural, domination, diplomatic, or science victory, it's all really fun. It's aSid Meier's Civilization V can be summed up in one word: addicting. I find it extremely difficult to pull myself away from this game at most times, and I end up playing for hours upon hours. It's exhilarating to choose a civilization and try to dominate the other opposing civilizations. Whether winning by cultural, domination, diplomatic, or science victory, it's all really fun. It's a great experience to see your civilization explore the area, meet new civilizations and city-states, and fight off barbarians, as they grow and technologically advance from ancient times to modern times. Multiplayer can be really fun, but it's almost impossible to finish a game because either the random people you get paired up with leave the game right away or everyone gets disconnected, so it can be frustrating at times. This is a fantastic game but also addicting so beware. Expand
  25. Jul 31, 2014
    My first Civilization experience and I must admit that all the stories of it's addictive nature (just one more turn) were absolutely spot-on. Even though it was my first run ever and I was still learning as I went along, just during my first game I poured about 30 hours of non-stop gameplay into it and that speak for itself more than anything. In the role of Alexander the Great I conqueredMy first Civilization experience and I must admit that all the stories of it's addictive nature (just one more turn) were absolutely spot-on. Even though it was my first run ever and I was still learning as I went along, just during my first game I poured about 30 hours of non-stop gameplay into it and that speak for itself more than anything. In the role of Alexander the Great I conquered the world with my Greek army, destroyed Napoleon, Washington, and once I invented proper technology to cross the seas I massacred the Germans and China hiding behind The Great Wall (praise the siege cannons). Enjoyed it thoroughly, but one the other hand I must admit that one time was probably enough, especially since Civ V lacks any sort of continual campaign with story mode that would engage you and take you on the adventure through time and evolution perhaps, in the Age of Empires style. In this format, it's basically just a randomly created sessions, so there's not much motivation to go on playing for me, but for what it is, it's really good. 7/10 Expand
  26. Jul 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like the game. Was not a first time played. Got addicted. But if you take it a little at a time it is all fun. here is a lot of cool features and other good stuff Expand
  27. Jul 17, 2014
    Phenomenal, honestly. If you're a fan of 4x, poltics, management or strategy games this is truly a staple. Customization, replayability and incredibly addicting gameplay keep people playing this for hundreds and thousands of hours. The game has one major flaw, and that's if you get the base game with no expansions, packs or DLC then it can feel empy, which is a flaw. Though, at this pointPhenomenal, honestly. If you're a fan of 4x, poltics, management or strategy games this is truly a staple. Customization, replayability and incredibly addicting gameplay keep people playing this for hundreds and thousands of hours. The game has one major flaw, and that's if you get the base game with no expansions, packs or DLC then it can feel empy, which is a flaw. Though, at this point with all the bundle sales if you can get anything along with it it feels fleshed out and is probably one of the best games on the market for your money considering how many hours of gameplay it gives. Expand
  28. Jul 10, 2014
    As someone who always loved history, never touched a strategy game, but always wanted to: This is the game that started my love for the genre. And i can say that i was lucky to start with the best of the best.

This game has almost all the things you would need to be a leader of a civilization, Diplomacy, Anarchy, Economy and of course Total wars.
  29. Jul 6, 2014
    REVIEW UPDATE---The best strategy game in gaming history. It's so addicting that you can play this like 16 hours straight easily. Excellent make this also it's mods. It has so many good mods in Steam Workshop. Only reason why this game is a 9/10 cause of it's multiplayer sucks. Lobbies are hard to join. Saving is almost impossible. Also and well you see when play this game. Then u knowREVIEW UPDATE---The best strategy game in gaming history. It's so addicting that you can play this like 16 hours straight easily. Excellent make this also it's mods. It has so many good mods in Steam Workshop. Only reason why this game is a 9/10 cause of it's multiplayer sucks. Lobbies are hard to join. Saving is almost impossible. Also and well you see when play this game. Then u know what i'm taking about. 9/10. Expand
  30. Jun 27, 2014
    When 2 Civilizations build a Wonder in the same turn, the first player that entered the room in Multiplayer will build it, and the other player will just lose it. Frustrating.
  31. Jun 24, 2014
    I play Civilization since the Civ II, and this is another great game. It is even more awesome with other human players, where diplomatics are involved.

I would love to give it more points, but unfortunately, I'm sick of the DLC system. If we look at it without knowing there are DLC's (Gods and Kings, Brave New World) and out of context, we could say it's a 9/10. So if you're new to Civ, it's worth your money. Now I highly recommend buying the full pack on Steam with the DLC's, which is now very cheap, because it adds so much to the game, that you can't go back to the normal one after that.

There goes my negative point. Why the hell didn't they put those add-ons in the first place ? I know the answer is "money" but for Civ-addicts like me, this is an insult. I managed to get the extension for a minimum amount of money but Gods and Kings was over 30€ when it came out, this is ridiculous for a bunch of options that could have been put in the early game.

The Civilization franchise has always been good, we enjoy the new combat system, not allowing you to stack 1 billion units like it was in Civ IV, we enjoy the new culture system (replaced in Brave New World). I miss the cultural expansion of your cities, sometimes swallowing other players cities if your culture was massive, but let's say they needed to make it different, it's not a bad thing.

Conclusion : With the DLC's it's much better, if you buy it, buy it all, but try to get in on sale, because the full price is exaggerated.
  32. Jun 22, 2014
    Civilization V is one of those rare games that takes a time tested and well liked system, changes it, and manages to create something even better than it had before. The new hex grid setup provides new ways to move and build, the change to unit stackability makes defending and attacking territory much more strategic, and the new additions that come along with the DLC make the whole gameCivilization V is one of those rare games that takes a time tested and well liked system, changes it, and manages to create something even better than it had before. The new hex grid setup provides new ways to move and build, the change to unit stackability makes defending and attacking territory much more strategic, and the new additions that come along with the DLC make the whole game more fun, and really make you want to take that one more turn.

It seems that most of the negative user reviews for this game either deal with release bugs, fanboys **** about the changes, or a "lack of content" in number of Civs, City States, Tech Tree, etc. There are plenty of Civs in the base game, and what with the fantastic DLC and the Steam modding community, you can expand to a huge number of playable Civs, many times more than Civ IV.

The bottom line is that while maybe on the release date, Civ V was a 7.7 because of release bugs, now, in 2014, with player content and two great DLCs, Civ V should easily be a 9 or even a 10
  33. Jun 21, 2014
    The Civilization Series continues to deliver high quality products! Bravo! Just need more actual civilizations to begin with. Dont try to bleed the consumers with add on after add on like the Sims Series. Other than that, the game is great. Play it over and over!
  34. Jun 19, 2014
    A classic example of trying to make up for lack of depth with high level graphics. So, it's pretty. Then what?

CONS: Dumbed down, bigtime. Another example of catering to the post BC WoW crowd that whine about stuff being too hard. Like the foregone conclusion of helicopter mommies and the bubble wrap generation where kids now are raised to get everything for almost nothing, cuz they're special, right? Don't give my kid a markdown on her paper cuz she has excuses for the late turnin creates monsters. These monsters are affecting gaming in a bad way. /rantoff Seriously, CIv III and IV fans are going to cry after playing this game.

No religion, corporations, fine tuning, etc.

Culture on takeover doesn't make sense. I did breathe a sigh of relief on seeing the borders unchanged, but such a thing doesn't make sense. City flipping by culture is gone. Again, doesn't make sense.

Diplomacy makes no sense. You can have good relations with someone only to have them scream at you the next turn for no known reason.

Loss of discovery on mining sites. The mined resources are set, they don't deplete, ever, and you can never discover anything new elsewhere. Doesn't make sense.

No armies. There is room here for the old 3 stack on a general, I think. Could add some complexity.

PROS:

Ranged combat. Done right.

Non-stackable units. Allows for real tactics over, for example, China showing up with 70 endgame units on a single tile to attack a city in a single turn.

City defense: Common sense addition. Adding structures like walls adds more to these defenses. A garrison, more defenses. Again, you cannot stack 70 units on a single tile, though one could argue more than 1 for the city, you have an option for 1. The inherent defenses of the city compensate for this though...and the city itself can fire a ranged barrage every turn.

Navy: A powerful navy can take over coastal cities without any need of land units. Adds balance.

REPLAYABILITY: Honestly, couldn't play a game through until the expansions. I got bored, even with an audiobook running. With III and IV losing half a day wasn't uncommon, this was a drag.
  35. Jun 5, 2014
    This game feels like it's about half the quality of the previous and famous Civilization 4. It looks better than 4 but it should, it's a newer game. I feel like many of the streamlined changes from "revolution" found their way into 5, as in many of your actions lack depth. Still, hundreds of hours of play has to count for something and it's certainly enjoyable despite being shallow.
  36. May 28, 2014
    The game itself is awesome... Maybe a 9/10. Unfortunately it is ruined by STEAM, like most PC gaming nowadays. This was the first and last game I will ever buy that forces me to use STEAM. Adios PC gaming.
  37. May 28, 2014
    The latest installment in franchise games can often be the victim of their own previous success and it appears that Civ V is no exception.

Taken by itself, Civ 5 is a solid game. In a vacuum, I would say my biggest gripes are that the city-state system feels a bit unloved and leaves a lot to be desired. Additionally, diplomacy is a bit of a black box that's difficult to wrangle with. Plus sides are the level of complexity that allow for different playstyles and paths to victory that provide a lot of replayability.

Compared to the other Civ games, I feel like the updates are a wash - things have become less complex, but I really appreciate the removal of the infamous stacks of doom we saw in Civ 4.

Bottom line is, if you're a Civ freak, you might be disappointed with Civ 5 if you compare it to the previous installments. If you're a casual Civ fan, or have little-to-no familiarity with the series, you'll find Civ 5 to fun and engaging and offer you many hours of enjoyment.
  38. May 26, 2014
    Great game but you will want to pick up the first expansion at a minimum to truly enjoy the game. Brave New World really fixes almost all of the game mechanic issues found in this series. Combined they are a 10 in my book.
  39. May 25, 2014
    Love the game, the maps are varied and massive, the sheer number of different victories possible is awesome. the large number of different difficulty settings challenge and accommodate all player types. and the whole game has that addictive, "Just one more turn!" quality. Only grievance, is that there are too many Native American/South American Civilizations, and as typical of all games,Love the game, the maps are varied and massive, the sheer number of different victories possible is awesome. the large number of different difficulty settings challenge and accommodate all player types. and the whole game has that addictive, "Just one more turn!" quality. Only grievance, is that there are too many Native American/South American Civilizations, and as typical of all games, they assume the only great Indian is Ghandi (completely ignoring others such as Ashoka, Shah Jahan, and 101+ more) Expand
  40. Apr 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very good, totally addictive and I can even say the best strategy game I know. I've always been a fan of this franchise and only in Civ. V have 17 hours of game-play, always more fun, became more simple and fun this release, and the expansions is even better, I have nothing to say to ruin this game, I follow the franchise since the Civ. III, has changed a lot, became less complicated and more fun, on-line mode is great, I always play with my friends, the matches are long and fun, to pass the time having a great time. Woe is my avaçiação about this game, I recommend to everyone! Expand
  41. Apr 18, 2014
    Not replayable. Why? because, except for their leader appearances and city overviews, all civs are almost the same, same improvement, same policy, same research, same army... After knowing this fact, you will know how hollow this game is and no any desire to play the game again using other civs.
    In addition, the battle part is indeed the game's weakness, you have to control every army one by one and see their laggy animations. When in later game, this is more disturbing so that I just gift most of them to city states.
    IMO, This game is about parameters balancing (you play with numbers), mainly food, culture, science, gold and fairy. you control them by actions, mainly building, diplomacy, research and policy. And you enjoy how wonderful values you can achieve.
    So, if you prefer more direct stimulation like graphics diversity in many RTS games, Civ is not for you. In graphics, Civ looks very repetitive. The difference between civs are distinct parameter enhancing.
  42. Apr 14, 2014
    I've played all CIV games, on all platforms that are available. I would've said Civ. 3 was the best, now I would say,Civ. 3&Civ 5 are the best.Yes,they've had a lot of ,"bugs"'but I expect that. I'd say it was well worth the money, and would recommend it strongly to people, that I know, who play these kinds of strategy games.
  43. Apr 11, 2014
    Probably my favorite strategy game in my library. It's one of those games I don't play every night or even every week, but when I do sit down to play it, I get engulfed for hours trying to conquer lands and be a world leader.
  44. Apr 10, 2014
    More crashes and more money spent on my computer trying to prevent crashes than any game I've ever played. I will never buy another game from this company, ever. As far as gameplay it's poor to fair, but the fact that it crashes every other turn (literally; this is NOT an exaggeration) prevents me from enjoying the gameplay. At first I loved the no unit stacking. I thought it was aMore crashes and more money spent on my computer trying to prevent crashes than any game I've ever played. I will never buy another game from this company, ever. As far as gameplay it's poor to fair, but the fact that it crashes every other turn (literally; this is NOT an exaggeration) prevents me from enjoying the gameplay. At first I loved the no unit stacking. I thought it was a wonderful improvement over the Civ 4 unit stack of death. But it's not. It's hugely tedious to escort a settler, and don't quote the phrase "two ships passing in the night" because two ships can't actually pass each other. With two expacs, you think they'd fix the simple stuff, but they never did. (As an aside, I like hexes better than squares, but that is this game's ONLY redeeming feature.) Expand
  45. Apr 2, 2014
    Good game, provides many different game options in the vanilla game and even more with mods. I am not a fan for the map types though they are a tad too small for me (even the larger ones), the map isn't small just the islands/continents are. A bit disappointing that there is no mod support for the iMac, but through simple steps you can add some mods. Thankfully the modders are patient andGood game, provides many different game options in the vanilla game and even more with mods. I am not a fan for the map types though they are a tad too small for me (even the larger ones), the map isn't small just the islands/continents are. A bit disappointing that there is no mod support for the iMac, but through simple steps you can add some mods. Thankfully the modders are patient and usually give you steps on how to manually install. I also dislike how achievements are disabled with mods on because most mods don't even give you god powers as most are just new maps or civilizations, excluding the IGE mod which does make you a Civ god. Another downer is the annoying music at first it isn't bad but after hearing the entire song twice (one for loading and another for game set up) it gets pretty bad haha. Lastly, multiplayer is terrible the connection is awful for the other players and myself, it is literally unplayable because everyone looses connection by the sixth or seventh turn. All these cons though do not add up to the overall greatness for this game, the unpredictability and various options defiantly give you a lot of different play throughs.

Overall: I highly recommend this game, BUT I suggest waiting for a discount I personally do not believe this is worth the $29.99 or $49.99 (if you purchase through Steam).

Oh, and don't trust Ghandi when you reach the atomic era . .
  46. Mar 13, 2014
    Despite it rocky start civ5 with the brave new world expansion must now surely go down as the greatest civ title of all, with the introduction of mechanics like, tourism, world congress and the new trading system it all leads to a very challenging and rewarding strategy simulation.
  47. Mar 10, 2014
    I quite mixed up, when I first play this game. That's because I saw good quality of the pixels, soundtracks and interface is wonderful. However, there's a huge failure of Sid meiers' and it is called the absence of religion! When I saw this I was shocked. There're a lot of social policies (which are good) and there's a religion related policy too! It is good that they improved the cityI quite mixed up, when I first play this game. That's because I saw good quality of the pixels, soundtracks and interface is wonderful. However, there's a huge failure of Sid meiers' and it is called the absence of religion! When I saw this I was shocked. There're a lot of social policies (which are good) and there's a religion related policy too! It is good that they improved the city management, but they removed the health level that was In civ 4. For example, I missed the natural disasters, vermin etc and especially vassal states. My another disappointment was the espionage system. Additionally, civ leaders and negotiations are improved. To sum up, i still recommend this game to you, but with dlc's. You can purchase this game with brave new world expansion p, it suffisticates me with additional benefits, such as trade routes. Have a nice game :) I lstill ove all the series Expand
  48. Feb 26, 2014
    I played the hell outta Civ3, skipped Civ4 and play a lot (like 400 hours +) of Civ V.

It is a great casual time sink that still captures the spirit of the Civ experience. We joke it is spreadsheet empire creation, but really there are a lot of ways to win. I do miss world effects like Pollution, greenhouse, planting trees etc. I also think that the last expansion are Weak. Brave

I do miss world effects like Pollution, greenhouse, planting trees etc.
    I also think that the last expansion are Weak. Brave New World, not worth it. Culture / Tourism is awful and dull. Stick with Gods and Kings.

Stacking armies I can take or leave. For me the effort it takes in Civ V to PROPERLY surround and take entrenched enemies / cities is a PERK not a down side.

It does run a bit rough over the Multiplayer (I often switch to Grid view) later in the game as it tries to keep up with all the renders, AI actions and fights.

Solid game. Just don't expect Civ 3 (or I guess 4)
  49. Feb 24, 2014
    The original game is fun to play and it delivers what the modern iteration of Civ franchise should deliver. The biggest flaw are bugs and technical issues, which were resolved later. They were significant however. As time went, many things were fixed and added in the expansions, but the start wasn't smooth. If you want to play this game, I would therefore recommend getting it with theThe original game is fun to play and it delivers what the modern iteration of Civ franchise should deliver. The biggest flaw are bugs and technical issues, which were resolved later. They were significant however. As time went, many things were fixed and added in the expansions, but the start wasn't smooth. If you want to play this game, I would therefore recommend getting it with the expansion packs. As the original "vanilla" version, the game has many problems and my impressions were mixed in the beginning. Expand
  50. Feb 21, 2014
    Hands down a GREAT addition to the Civ series! Even if this is your first Civ still buy it! You can buy the new Gold Edition on Steam for a very good price for he time you get out of it. Each game is around 4-6 hours long and is very exciting every second! A must it!
  51. Feb 21, 2014
    I've never had a turn based game made me lose track of time the way Civ V has. You would think a turn based game could get old... but after spending almost 100 hours in the game... I keep coming back for more. Great game.
  52. Feb 20, 2014
    Premise: I own and played every single Civ game since Civilization (1991) and I played over a thousand hours Civilization V. That doesn't mean I'm a good player, but it means that the longevity and replayability are priceless and unbeated.
    The first iteration of Civilization V was awful: easy, absent AI, bugged and unbalanced. The expansion Gods & King added religions and espionage, cleaning bugs (MANY) and finally building AI worth the challenge. The last expansion, Brave New World is really awesome: trading, united nations and ideologies and some good victories condition revamps. To this level, Civ 5 is really the best Civ I have ever played, obscuring even Civ 4 Beyond the Sword.
    Only two things missing: random events and pollution.
  53. Feb 13, 2014
    In the fine new tradition of dumbing classic franchises down to appeal to the blind, the mentally impaired and people who hate gaming, Civilization takes a nosedive in the horrible fifth installment. Tons of stuff that made Civ IV timeless has been removed, including map trading, vassals, religions, flexible civics, unit stacks and attrition to name a few things. Meanwhile dubious thingsIn the fine new tradition of dumbing classic franchises down to appeal to the blind, the mentally impaired and people who hate gaming, Civilization takes a nosedive in the horrible fifth installment. Tons of stuff that made Civ IV timeless has been removed, including map trading, vassals, religions, flexible civics, unit stacks and attrition to name a few things. Meanwhile dubious things have been added like global happiness ratings which makes it pointless to make big empires (In a Civ game. It`s true) and city states that reposition your camera on them every time they have some pointless task for you to perform.
    The worst part is that some of it had been tried out in Civ 3, which was the least impressive installment until this release, and removed for Civ 4 because it made the game dull and uncool.
    So compared to Civ 4 there is less complexity, less freedom, much hand holding and worthless fluff, poor diplomacy and many many questionable design features. It is slow, boring and unexciting. The economy doesn`t work properly, there are no active trade routes like in Civ 4 but just automatic ones when you build roads and harbors. And to top it all off there is basically no AI anywhere.
    I just played a game as Persia and had 10 workers on auto. By the year 1100 AD all these workers had built 0 roads. None, zip, nada. Presumably they were waiting until all the forests had been cleared and every possible resource tile and farm had been finished before starting the roads. In other words the automation is pointless and you have to manually build roads if you want any.
    The less said about the enemy AI the better. It is unpredictable, stupid and never improves at higher levels. It just cheats. Give this turkey a wide berth and go get the real Civilization (Civ 4. hell even Civ 2 or the original DOS game is better than this.) immediately.
    Casual gaming at its worst.
  54. Feb 10, 2014
    I would make a short, snappy, funny review, yet it needs to be 150 characters long, so I'll just fill it up with nonsense. qijnfkongfangfj;naf;jnal;jfn;aljfn;ljafnajf'o[iqwjhvfio'jhq3woithq[0t0[qhfo[uihqofhq;ofhaqhf;oiaushf;iuabhsf;iuahwfi;uahfi;uahfihbafjhaifbaoifioauhfiafhiauf. THERE WE GO! This is the best game I ever played. 7.

-IGN
  55. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 53 Hours in to the game and I am still loving it...

Civilization V is my first game in the Civilization series and now that I got it I don't Understand why I never played the others.

You start the game off with one group of settlers and a warrior to protect them, from there you start building your civilization.
    It's not like other strategy games where you literally build every single building, the map is divided into Hexagonal tiles with different resources, all you have to do is build your settlement and from there on expand to the surrounding tiles, as you play you unlock new buildings to upgrade your settlements, you can found new settlements as freely as you like but you always run risk of attack so make sure you have the proper amount of troops to protect those new found bottom feeding settlements of yours.

There are 5 ways to win the game: Domination victory, Science victory, Cultural victory, Diplomatic victory or a Score Victory.
    But this means there are 5 ways for you to get beaten as well so you will need to not only keep an eye on your own civilization but your enemy's as well, and know exactly when it's time to attack or ally up.

If you get tired of the standard game check out the scenarios, that is where the real fun begins, with scenario's that actually happened like the Boers vs the Zulu's in Africa, the Mayan's who feared the end of the world and all the troubles they faced like the french invading them with weapons they have never even seen before in their lives, the scenario's have it all.

And if that's not enough, Civilization V supports the steam workshop so there are endless mods for you to choose from to spice your game up even more.

The game is very easy to learn with the help of your advisers who even though they can be pretty annoying sometimes, make sure you know what you are doing and what the Consequences will be if you take a certain action. They will take good care of you.

My Rating 9/10 - (-1 the game sometimes feels like it's taking forever to finish, but there are settings to change the game speed which will sort this out for you, but I found that on Standard settings the game takes forever and on quick settings you can't help but feel extremely rushed. It would have been nice to have something in between. )
  56. Jan 25, 2014
    civ 5 is one of the best stategy games i ever played, so many things to do,so many things to try, this game a "must own" for every stategy gamers, even a guy like me who only like RTS and in the start i thuoght it sucks, but then i found out a great game.i give 10/10 i cant thinck on anything bad
  57. Jan 23, 2014
    thumb down to the max. worse game of the civ series. fell aslept in the game halfway. zero excitement. still enjoying Civ IV and don't think will buy Civ 6 if it ever launch.
  58. Jan 23, 2014
    Civilization V is an excellent strategy title that will keep you coming back for more, it can be tedious at times, it will be well worth the 30 to 90 dollars you spend on it. The game is best with the brave new world expansion, which greatly increases options and makes diplomacy and culture more viable and interesting victory options, but the base game is fine

GRAPHICS/SOUND If your

GRAPHICS/SOUND
    If your computer can handle the game maxed out, it looks better than a lot of the games currently on the market. Textures look very crisp and the animations are great. The game does not run very well on my computer due to the high amount of processing power it requires, but it still looks great. The Sounds are also fantastic, from swordplay to futuristic robots, it all sounds like it came out of a high quality movie. The music, especially the war themes and BNWs main menu theme are STUNNING! Each civilization's themes sound original and unique to them, and them alone.

Gameplay
    The level of strategy in the gameplay, even though the attractive ui and user friendliness wouldn't show it. is quite high. The combat has all sorts of modifiers that turns it from a larger army contest into a game of positioning. You do not have to fight though, if you have vanilla it's a lot more fun to just destroy everything than to just grind policy trees or sciences, but brave new world changes that. If you have Brave new world, well, it gives you a brave new world of civilization V, culture turns from policy trees into a game of trading and build the correct structures. The diplomacy victory has you struggling to make friends, but to make friends, you must make enemies. Diplomacy can lead to wars if you aren't careful with the acts you try to push, so watch out.

Value
    Civ V certainly has the best value out of any game i have played. Hundreds of hours in. you'll still want more.

Verdict
    Civilization V is a fantastic game
  59. Jan 14, 2014
    Trash game. Horrendous multiplayer. Incredibly boring and weak compared to its predecessors. Is 0 out of 10 a fair score? Probably not. But it's an insult to the franchise, disrespecting its own line of games, so why should I leave a respectful review? Even if the game was free to play, I'd be more worried about wasting my time. Go play Civ 4 or something.
  60. Jan 6, 2014
    I'm no gamer but the fact that this game has me in a headlock definitely is noteworthy. It's so in depth and fun to play. The way it's set up makes it hard to grow tired of.
  61. Dec 31, 2013
    As a beginner, I thrive on all the stuff you can do with the Gold package. I look forward to spending 100's of hours, before I even think about upgrading to the next package.
  62. Dec 25, 2013
    Civilization V is one of the best turn-based strategy games (very addictive). Not many problems but overly aggressive A.I. is really kind of annoying.
  63. Dec 16, 2013
    I bought this during a major sale and to be honest, thought it was quite boring at first. Every once in a while I would get in the mood to play it, would get a few hours into a match, and then end up quitting it or starting a new one.
    These games were never my type of game anyway...
    These games were never my type of game anyway...

However, recently I picked the game back up and started a new match. This time, I managed to make it into the 1700s-1800s and found myself getting extremely into the game. After minding my own business for quite some time, Queen Elizabeth started spying on me and stole my technology! I mean, what a b****! I gave her luxury pearls for nothing when her kingdom needed it most! So I decided to go and confront her about it and she just blows me off! This is unacceptable! Let's see how she feels when her Prodestant missionaries show up in my Buddhist's Holy City again!!!...And then after I wiped her smug attitude off the continent, I took over the World Congress and enacted MY religion as the world religion! I hold 60% of the delegates and no one will stop me! MY RELIGION WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!

You get the idea.....
  64. Dec 11, 2013
    Huge fan of the series. Was certainly not disappointed by this installment. If I had to complain, it would be about how long it will take me to get all those Steam achievements.
  65. Dec 11, 2013
    It's an undeveloped game. It misses all the fun parts of the "Civilization" games such as technology trading and religion. Including city-states to the game is interesting, but the fact that you can't see the relations between different civs is depressing and frustrating.
  66. Dec 7, 2013
    "Sid Meier's Civilization V" is one of the best turn-based strategy games. There are many hours of fun to be had in this with this game, it can bring out the competitive side in you. (which can be a good or a bad thing) There are many wonderful DLC and expansion packs witch add many civilizations and among things. You can play the game by your self or with your friends-but be warned the"Sid Meier's Civilization V" is one of the best turn-based strategy games. There are many hours of fun to be had in this with this game, it can bring out the competitive side in you. (which can be a good or a bad thing) There are many wonderful DLC and expansion packs witch add many civilizations and among things. You can play the game by your self or with your friends-but be warned the multiplayer games can take a longtime to complete-either will give you along fun game. Expand
  67. Nov 30, 2013
    As my first turn-based strategy game (other than Chess), Civ 5 provided an excellent and fun experience. It took some time to learn the game, and I had some serious moments where I sat there thinking "what the hell is going on?" but it was actually fun to be stumped. If this is your first Civ, then you will feel amazing every time you take over a city, no matter the difficulty level. TheAs my first turn-based strategy game (other than Chess), Civ 5 provided an excellent and fun experience. It took some time to learn the game, and I had some serious moments where I sat there thinking "what the hell is going on?" but it was actually fun to be stumped. If this is your first Civ, then you will feel amazing every time you take over a city, no matter the difficulty level. The tutorial is pretty terrible, and it does not help one understand the game at all, so I recommend you just jump in there in a real game against 1 AI on Warlord to learn the ropes. After you've practiced enough and can assure yourself you won't inadvertently destroy your own civilization, jump in another game with 3 AIs on either Warlord or Prince. Practice makes perfect in this game. I have over 700 hours on this game, and my friends and I love it. Religion, Espionage, and a souped up Diplomacy and Culture are all included in expansions, by the way. Expand
  68. Nov 29, 2013
    Although it did get rid of some of the best things that made Civ4 really good, it still had better graphics with a somewhat decent gameplay. But if you are a heavy Civ fan, then this may not be the best one for you.
  69. Nov 21, 2013
    I bought it for 75% off and I also have an extra free copy from a giveaway. This game keeps me entertained for many hours, even days. The final question is, did I get my money's worth? I say yes. That's all that matters.

I suggest trying out the demo before buying the game if you are unsure.
  70. Nov 18, 2013
    If forget about that nothing good left from Civ III and Civ IV and that this game is quite lagy and bagy, and none playing it online so quite hard to find ppl to play (must be in groups and need at last 4-5 hours to find someone), game is quite normal, think for economical-political strategy it's very PC depended (heavy) and very expencive that's problem to find ppl for play, but if youIf forget about that nothing good left from Civ III and Civ IV and that this game is quite lagy and bagy, and none playing it online so quite hard to find ppl to play (must be in groups and need at last 4-5 hours to find someone), game is quite normal, think for economical-political strategy it's very PC depended (heavy) and very expencive that's problem to find ppl for play, but if you find 3-4 people it's quite interesting and not bad game... Expand
  71. Nov 12, 2013
    Being my first Sid Meier's and Civilization game, I love it. I original never liked the lead because I never liked turn based games. This game is very time consuming.

The only reason it's getting a 9 and not a 10 from me is, imo, it's missing some major civs to play as. (Canada anyone?)
  72. Nov 11, 2013
    With the God of Kings and the Brave New World expansion packs, Civ V is clearly the most fleshed-out game in its series. Civ V still holds the infinitely replayable value of the previous games, while introducing new and well-thought-out mechanics, like the overhauled combat system and the presence of the World Congress.
  73. Nov 10, 2013
    This game is an insult to the Civilization series, compared to Civilization 4 it lacks the depth of gameplay and has some serious balancing issues as well as containing AI that don't know how to play. As a stand alone game it isn't too brilliant either, with the game revolving around playing as the best civilizations and getting wonders which are overpowered the fastest. The rest of theThis game is an insult to the Civilization series, compared to Civilization 4 it lacks the depth of gameplay and has some serious balancing issues as well as containing AI that don't know how to play. As a stand alone game it isn't too brilliant either, with the game revolving around playing as the best civilizations and getting wonders which are overpowered the fastest. The rest of the features one would expect from a Civilization game were released in the form of DLC meaning the vanilla Civ 5 is an incomplete game. I do frequently play this online as my friends moved to it from other Civilization titles however we can agree this game is flawed. A terrible disappointment. Expand
  74. Nov 8, 2013
    Another great sequel to an awesome series. All the additions to 5 make it stand out form past entries and the visuals are just amazing. Playing offline is very fun because games could last you months; you come back and play whenever you want. Online matches take a while but they're a blast; kind of like monopoly in a way. I would love to see an port of this game to next gen consoles. 9/10
  75. Nov 7, 2013
    Overrated game because the combat absolutely sucks. Basically have more units than your enemy, you will win. Except on harder levels where instead of raising the level of AI they raise the level of units you need to survive ANY encounter. It is a stupid system and because of this alone I give this game a crap score.
  76. Nov 7, 2013
    I particularly enjoyed the additions to Civilization V. The introduction of city states adds a layer of depth to the game. You can develop alliances with them and this can result in them giving you free units, or you can fight with them. The interface is also much cleaner in Civilization V, with the exact level of happiness and culture produced clearly displayed. The graphics have alsoI particularly enjoyed the additions to Civilization V. The introduction of city states adds a layer of depth to the game. You can develop alliances with them and this can result in them giving you free units, or you can fight with them. The interface is also much cleaner in Civilization V, with the exact level of happiness and culture produced clearly displayed. The graphics have also been vastly improved, with terrain surfaces looking highly detailed and vibrant, especially the water which reflects the sunlight. The sound effects and music is also good, although I did prefer the Leonard Nimoy voice overs in Civilization IV than the voice overs in Civilization V. Some of the gameplay mechanic changes have drastically altered the tactical aspects of the game. Having only one unit on a tile encourages more tactical unit placement rather than just mass unit rushes like you can do in Civilization IV. The capture mechanics of cities is also better with cities having a health rating. I also like the fact that cities can bombard nearby units, and this is especially useful in counteracting annoying barbarian attacks. Expand
  77. Nov 6, 2013
    Graphics 10/10 The games runs very smoothly and was everything I come to expect from an next gen strategy game

Game play 10/10 Quite possibly the most addictive game I've ever played. There is so much replay value, I know I will be playing this for years to come.
  78. Oct 31, 2013
    This game is addiction, it defines addiction. But being addicted to a game does not always mean its good. But Civilisation as a franchise is great. There are issues, but it does not hide the fact that a good game exists here. Just one more move
  79. Oct 27, 2013
    They have really improved on this installment, the hexagons are far superior to squares, the graphics look great, and it has endless replayibility. The best Civilization game I've played.
  80. Oct 22, 2013
    I never cared for the Civ series all that much. It was always playable, but slow tedious and boring to me. Oddly I enjoyed the heck out of Civ 5. It was easy to get into, faster paced than I expected and a hell of a lot of fun multiplier with my mates. A couple things I didn't like, AI was a bit dumber than expected on hard, late game really slows down, and the tech tree for the modern andI never cared for the Civ series all that much. It was always playable, but slow tedious and boring to me. Oddly I enjoyed the heck out of Civ 5. It was easy to get into, faster paced than I expected and a hell of a lot of fun multiplier with my mates. A couple things I didn't like, AI was a bit dumber than expected on hard, late game really slows down, and the tech tree for the modern and space age was to simple. They really should have spread out the tech more at the end. Overall a highly recommended game I will play well into the future. Expand
  81. Oct 21, 2013
    I have always loved strategy type games in the this one did not let me down! I use my game on a MAC and it runs perfectly. The graphics and game play are smooth and I do like to plan my attacks on other civs. With the inclusion of different parameters such as the happiness index makes you think about what the leader is doing, if its good or bad. Hopefully new updates will expand theseI have always loved strategy type games in the this one did not let me down! I use my game on a MAC and it runs perfectly. The graphics and game play are smooth and I do like to plan my attacks on other civs. With the inclusion of different parameters such as the happiness index makes you think about what the leader is doing, if its good or bad. Hopefully new updates will expand these different parameters.

I guess my only real complaint is the maps and having to pay to get new maps (and Civs) into the game; the prices are not all that bad, $4 to $5.

Keep it up 2K!
  82. Oct 21, 2013
    Très bon jeu, un bon nombre de civilisation différentes (ce qui rend difficile l'équilibrage du coup malheureusement, une poignet sont avantagés avec leur bonus de départ), de nombreux types de cartes et de nombreux choix disponibles au niveau stratégique en fonction de la victoire que l'on vise.

Le seul point vraiment négatif est la stabilité surtout côté multi. Aléatoirement le jeu peut renvoyer sur l'écran de chargement (qui peut parfois durée plusieurs minute au point de croire qu'il a freeze, voir crasher un moment.) Le fait que les games soit host côté joueurs rend les parties très difficiles jouer (quasiment injouable dés que l'on dépasse les 150-180 pings). Malheureusement une bonne machine ne suffit donc pas pour jouer correctement et ceci cause d'une mauvaise optimisation du jeu la base.
  83. Oct 16, 2013
    I've always been a fan of the Civilization series and in my mind, this is the best in the series. I think that the new game mechanics are for the best. This is a great game and is extremely addicting. I love this game, and I hope you do too.
  84. Oct 16, 2013
    Big dissapointer. The only thing i liked were the graphics and animations. For the rest the game sucks and is nothing more then a cheap quick, simpel wargame. I played Civ 1 and 2 and i love Civ 2 (still do and play it now and then). I just got Civ 5, played it a few hours and removed it. Not going to play it anymore. The negs? To small world, slow responding... well read the negativeBig dissapointer. The only thing i liked were the graphics and animations. For the rest the game sucks and is nothing more then a cheap quick, simpel wargame. I played Civ 1 and 2 and i love Civ 2 (still do and play it now and then). I just got Civ 5, played it a few hours and removed it. Not going to play it anymore. The negs? To small world, slow responding... well read the negative reviews here. No need to say more. I support them all. This game is a waste of time and money. The reviews gave me hope and i will try Civ IV. Otherwise i stay to Civ II. I can't believe the positive reviews. They dont come from ppl who played Civ before (or they are payed by Sid Meier). Expand
  85. Oct 16, 2013
    Civilization remains the ultimate pinnacle of the turn based strategy genre. This title introduced some significant changes from earlier civ incarnations, such as a hex-grid and no unit stacking. I believe this caused some lower user reviews amongst players who dislike change. However, I believe the combat tactics were only improved by this, on top of the overall rock-solid strategy andCivilization remains the ultimate pinnacle of the turn based strategy genre. This title introduced some significant changes from earlier civ incarnations, such as a hex-grid and no unit stacking. I believe this caused some lower user reviews amongst players who dislike change. However, I believe the combat tactics were only improved by this, on top of the overall rock-solid strategy and city building aspects of the game. Expand
  86. Oct 15, 2013
    This game is the most addicting game I have ever played. While I have only played Civilization IV and this one, I can say that Civilization V is fantastic. Managing an entire empire is extremely fun to do. this game is also very visually appealing. My biggest concern with it was that everyone seems to hate you because you settle land that nobody owns, but the leaders "consider it theirs."This game is the most addicting game I have ever played. While I have only played Civilization IV and this one, I can say that Civilization V is fantastic. Managing an entire empire is extremely fun to do. this game is also very visually appealing. My biggest concern with it was that everyone seems to hate you because you settle land that nobody owns, but the leaders "consider it theirs." Also passed about 500 turns, the game can get glitchy no matter what computer I play it on. Expand
  87. Oct 15, 2013
    An decent strategic game, grossly overpriced at the release. It looks quite fine and has some great art, but not even that justifies the terrible performance issues, meaning you won't be able to play huge maps, as the waiting time between turns grows unbearably long.

It felt not complex enough at release, having no religions, a silly culture mechanic, no spying at all and absolutely horrible, worthless diplomacy. It was still decent. If you really want to give it a shot, I'd say you have to purchase the GoTY edition, which only gives this games enough complex features to justify playing it. Or even calling it Civilization.

That said, this review concerns only the original release priced now at 30EUR. I would say there are better options of spending your money right now.Only with all the DLCs, it feels somehow complete and fully enjoyable. You would have also had spent 100EUR on it, if you were buying it one DLC after another, so. Alpha Centauri cost me some 20 when it was new. Just sayin'.
  88. Oct 14, 2013
    I enjoyed this game to hell and I still enjoy it now.

This game is a new adventure every time you play it and it gives it a major replay value. I had a ton of fun with this game and the DLC's are worth it to, you will have tons of fun crushing enemy empires or becoming a culture, science or diplomacy based empire. If you love turn based strategy games or just love strategy games
    I enjoyed this game to hell and I still enjoy it now.

If you love turn based strategy games or just love strategy games at all this is a must get!

(Except planes are really god damn cheap).
  89. Oct 9, 2013
    Truly an exceptional strategy game. Many reviews of strategy games are done by very skilled players of the genre, the type who enjoy trying to conquer the game on the hardest difficulty. They often have quarrels with the games in the not hard enough AI, or some technical issues. But I am the opposite of that; my skills are unimpressive, yet I still found this game immensely enjoyable. NewTruly an exceptional strategy game. Many reviews of strategy games are done by very skilled players of the genre, the type who enjoy trying to conquer the game on the hardest difficulty. They often have quarrels with the games in the not hard enough AI, or some technical issues. But I am the opposite of that; my skills are unimpressive, yet I still found this game immensely enjoyable. New to the genre? Very little skill? Wanting to not have to think that hard but still play a decent game? Civilization V ticks all those boxes and though undoubtedly different from the older Civilizations and some people's expectations, it still excels as a strategy game for gamers on both ends of the skill spectrum. It is truly a great game that you will not regret buying at all. Expand
  90. Sep 29, 2013
    I nice strategy game, can be frustrating sometimes. Even if it is frustrating at points it is a good game, but i have to admit, sometimes the unloaded terrain causes some lag.
  91. Sep 21, 2013
    Good: The game is a fun game. Right off the bat. It's fun, and addicting like all of the other Civ games. Graphics are great (they don't make or break a game, but it's still nice that the game at least looks good). Also, hexagon tiles are far superior to squares in terms of tactical game play.

The medium: Combat is both good and bad. The good news is that combat is much more strategic, and is based on chance anymore. The bad news is that the AI doesn't know how to use 1 unit per tile!!! This makes the AI so easy to just destroy.

The Bad: And that's another horrifying aspect of this game, the ai. Unless you are a new guy to the series, or are playing like in Deity, if you lose, you probably screwed something up horribly. Also, the game seems WAY too over simplified, and there aren't as many features to shape the way you want your empire to be run as there were in Civ 4! Now, this is fixed in 2 expansions (plus the AI is way better), but the fact that you have to buy two expansion packs to make a below average game turn into an amazing strategy game is highway robbery.
  92. Sep 10, 2013
    I bought the game with the Inca expansion pack, I had just finished reading about the Incas and was hoping to get some sort of Spaniards vs Incas gameplay. The Inca set has NOTHING to do with the Incas and the landscapes do no even begin to reflect it (ooooh +2 agility points to maneuvering through mountains!! GMAFB). After accepting it has little bearing on the historical figures itI bought the game with the Inca expansion pack, I had just finished reading about the Incas and was hoping to get some sort of Spaniards vs Incas gameplay. The Inca set has NOTHING to do with the Incas and the landscapes do no even begin to reflect it (ooooh +2 agility points to maneuvering through mountains!! GMAFB). After accepting it has little bearing on the historical figures it portrays, I continued to play this game for 7 hours straight, with every turn you're hooked thinking something will happen, maybe a few more turns, a few more, then you finally give up realizing it's a joke... nothing happens, efforts in this game amount to nothing, it is a time wasting cycle of thinking something will happen. Civ5 is one of the most pointless game I've ever encountered in 20 years of gaming. If you get this, don't come crying to me about wasting your time and money. Expand
  93. Sep 8, 2013
    This review is based upon over 250 hours of gameplay

Why you should buy it: -Intelligent UI -Dynamic and unique civilizations to play -Gameplay is PERFECTLY paced if you like turn-based strategy -Research system is logical and requires strategy -Variety of victory paths gives you a dynamic gameplay experience (replayable) Why you should think twice: -Combat is static and boring
    This review is based upon over 250 hours of gameplay

Why you should buy it:
    -Intelligent UI
    -Dynamic and unique civilizations to play
    -Gameplay is PERFECTLY paced if you like turn-based strategy
    -Research system is logical and requires strategy
    -Variety of victory paths gives you a dynamic gameplay experience (replayable)

Why you should think twice:
    -Combat is static and boring
    -AI diplomacy is basic
    -AI trading is linear
    -Aircraft can get stuck in combat loop

Conclusion: Some minor issues, but overall I LOVED this game. Probably one of the few games I have played this much over the past year. WORTH your money.
  94. Sep 7, 2013
    ---Rating---
    Design: 3 /5 (recycles the same formula, most but not all changes constitute "streamlining")
    Polish: 4 /5 (graphics are acceptable given the game's nature, but nothing too impressive) Value: 4 /5 (decent replay value as always and nice mod support, but limited choice of factions) ---Review--- Civilization V is certainly playable and enjoyable at that, but- perhaps
    ---Rating---

---Review---
    Civilization V is certainly playable and enjoyable at that, but- perhaps unsurprisingly- this iteration of the ever popular series amounts to little more than a re-skinning of previous entries. The hex-based map and in-game mod database are welcome additions, but otherwise most changes could be lumped under the banner of "streamlining" (for better or worse). It's a decent choice for those who somehow still haven't ever tried a Civilization game, but Civ V doesn't make too many significant improvements over previous installments.
  95. Sep 7, 2013
    I found that Civilization V is a perfect game for anyone getting into the franchise or for long experience Civilization players, it is a great game to play for several days at a time with friends, or a quick game when you have the time. The only complaint I have is that the diplomacy factor in this game is a bit limited with very little options and Civilizations often attack you or demandI found that Civilization V is a perfect game for anyone getting into the franchise or for long experience Civilization players, it is a great game to play for several days at a time with friends, or a quick game when you have the time. The only complaint I have is that the diplomacy factor in this game is a bit limited with very little options and Civilizations often attack you or demand land/resources for an unknown reason. Overall a very good game especially when played with a group of friends. Expand
  96. Sep 6, 2013
    A Master piece, Civ 5 is both beautiful and complex in a good way that is fun to play and very addictive, there are tons of options and mods to suit your style (diplomacy, war, tech, etc) a very nice addition to the franchise. A must have for turn-based strategy lovers.
  97. Sep 4, 2013
    Pros:
    -Keeps you entertained for many hours
    -Lots of buildings, units, wonders and nations in a huge world.
    -Lots of strategy

Cons:
    -Nations are similar
    -Diplomacy does not work.
    -Late game becomes boring
    -Needs the expansions before its a true masterpiece.

Conclusion: Without the expansions it has many flaws but is still entertaining for many hours.
  98. Aug 21, 2013
    RTS is my lifeblood in gaming. With all the expansions including brave new world, this turn-based strategy game simply has no equal in its scope and complexity. The fantastically addictive concept of creating and growing your perfect civilization through the ages holds as much sway today as it ever has and this is the only franchise to offer it on such a legit level.

This is a

This is a magnificent achievement by Firaxis...this game needed a number of years to mature but now I'd say it ranks as the best strategy game of all time alongside Starcraft I and II, and easily the best turn-based RTS ever made. Wait for the sale on steam and take the bite, you'll get the value of what this game is should worth for a value conscious buyer (especailly when buying all the xpacs).
  99. Aug 16, 2013
    All if the problem I see in any review are either fixed in options or are fixed through mods. Which don't only fix the problems but make it more fun in SO many ways! Miss the Civ IV diplomacy? There's a mod. Not enough maps? There are hundreds of mods. Not enough Civs. Hundreds of mods from historical civilizations to civs based on other video games like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc.All if the problem I see in any review are either fixed in options or are fixed through mods. Which don't only fix the problems but make it more fun in SO many ways! Miss the Civ IV diplomacy? There's a mod. Not enough maps? There are hundreds of mods. Not enough Civs. Hundreds of mods from historical civilizations to civs based on other video games like Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc. Not to mention the fact that all the mods are on the Steam Workshop!!! So they're easier to get than the friggin GAME! Another thing to add that is VERY IMPORTANT. The DLC is nearly REQUIRED to make the game really fun. You need Gods and Kings to use most mods and adds SPIES and BNW adds things like the World Congress (mini UN) and makes the cultural victory a little harder and more interesting by adding things like great artists, writers, and musicians. I found the names of famous x for great x's very adorable and cool. I have played this game for hundreds of hours and I have never lost interest. My favorite era to start in is the classical era. Because you have to wait FOREVER in the ancient era for workers to do ANYTHING except build farms. Just a suggestion. :P But in all honesty the game isn't as bad as everyone says. It's probably the easiest Civ to get into the series... And even if it isn't as "good" as the others it's still a hell of a lot of fun! I have also noticed the addition of HEXES to be a lot better than squares. In the end I feel this game deserves a 10/10 and I suggest this to EVERYONE!!! Final note: This game isn't an action packed shooter. It is a strategy game so don't expect every second to be action packed. It's a game that requires patience and thought(especially on the longer game times). No campaign, no bullcrud. Just strategy. And hopefully that's your thing!!! Expand
  100. Aug 13, 2013
    A game that is totally worth buying. Maybe different from other Civs (I played civ III and a lot of civ IV), but it feels fresh and easy to adapt. Something I hated the most of Civ IV was the stacked units in huge armies. That is gone, and now it feels like really playing a board game. As well as easy to learn from the game to play it. But yet, hard to master.

I didn't rate ir with a

I didn't rate ir with a 10, because I still miss how the characters in Civ III changed their clothes as time passed (that was great). I mean, you can see in the old ages George Washington using his 1700's clothes. But this game totally worth buying.
  101. Sep 22, 2010
    Let me start of by saying I am a long time fan of the Civilization series. I have owned all versions of civilizations from the day they were releases. Heck I am an old timer that was playing games like simearth back in the day.

With that rant over, on the the game. I will give the highlight of it is pretty much the same old civilization we played for 20 years with better graphics with combat changes. There is nothing revolutionary and ground breaking in the game. If you played any of the other Civ's then you already played this one.

Sure you have Hexes now and you can not stack units, but the heart of the game has been the same for 20 years and to be honest the developers are playing it too safe and are not giving us anything unique.

I am not going to give it a zero as it is not a bad game... the problem is they already sold this game 4 times over the last 20 years. If you never played Civ before, check it out... but if you played the others, this the the same old game.

Maybe but Civ VII or Civ X they will give us something new :)

1. Apr 3, 2011
    Despite my gripe with the animations in multiplayer, Civilization V is the perfect entry for the series' debut in the current generation of gaming.
  2. Jan 20, 2011
    We're just a little bit disappointed that this Civ evolution isn't as polished as we'd expected. [Issue#102, p.108]
  3. Jan 15, 2011
    An old franchise that knows who to evolve to adapt to modern times. Its latest new ideas might not be perfect, but serve the purpose of making the game even more interesting.