Silverfall PC

• Release Date: Mar 27, 2007
6.5

1. NickB.
    Jul 11, 2007
    This is a game which does have some odd problems, but is actually surprisingly better than I have been led to believe by those who dislike it. FOr the record, while I enjoy this game, my girlfriend absolutely was driven nuts by it and couldn't play anymore after a couple of hours, so be warned! For myself, I found the graphics (with the cell-shading, which can be turned off) very This is a game which does have some odd problems, but is actually surprisingly better than I have been led to believe by those who dislike it. FOr the record, while I enjoy this game, my girlfriend absolutely was driven nuts by it and couldn't play anymore after a couple of hours, so be warned! For myself, I found the graphics (with the cell-shading, which can be turned off) very nice, I like the look. The storyline is fun, the exploration and Diablo-esque elements superior to Diablo (which I hated, by the way, I am not a Diablo fan, so take note there, too, maybe Silverfall is for people who disliked it's predecessor). The quest system is fun, the companions and other elements evoke qualities from MMOs which I like, and I learned how to deal with the wonky camera, which is unnecessarily difficult to manage, and should have just been a behind-the-shoulder follow-cam option like WoW, or maybe something like GW, but right now it's just a weird "control it as you need it," system which doesn't often behave the way you want it to....but I got used to it, while my girlfriend was ready to snap the disk in two, so there ya go. Expand
  2. JeremyAnderson
    Mar 22, 2007
    The demo kept me engrossed for an entire day. In fact, I was having so much fun playing, that it took me a while to notice that I was no longer earning experience once I hit level 14. This is because the demo is capped at 15. Even so, I really wanted to finish my quests.

There are some annoying things, such as game mechanics not being explained (like why your party can only equip items in some slots, and where you have to go to resurrect them when they die), but there's lilttle that compares with the sheer joy of acquiring a berzerker, giving him your best 1H weapons, and watching him tear through enemies it takes you forever to defeat on your own.
    I really enjoy the classless system, how all skills are available to all players with no cost penalites... it allows you to really build out a hyper-custom character, like that elemental mage/archer/necromancer who wields a 2H mace and giggles with glee. Never seen another skill system as truly flexible as this one in an action RPG. I give it two thumbs up, despite the bugs (those can be patched). Also, the game is *beautiful* to look at, especially when you zoom into the over-the-shoulder view and go trapsing around the marshes. Stunning!
  3. JaredA.
    Mar 26, 2007
    This game is did exactly what it was suppose to. Give u a ton of mobs to kill, and a ton of loot to get, all while you improve your character. Nothing innovative about it really but it doesn't matter. There doesn't need to be. The formula the diablo used was good then, and is good now. This is basically a more open world version of diablo, very similar to sacred if you have This game is did exactly what it was suppose to. Give u a ton of mobs to kill, and a ton of loot to get, all while you improve your character. Nothing innovative about it really but it doesn't matter. There doesn't need to be. The formula the diablo used was good then, and is good now. This is basically a more open world version of diablo, very similar to sacred if you have played that. Great fun, I've been at it for 2 straight days without stopping. There are a few down points. No way to to remap controls makes it kinda hard to get used to, and the first few hours of the game have a steep learning curve. Really its just due to how weak your character is, then a learning curve. The game doesn't really scale back the size of the encounters, and until you have good crowd control or AOE abilities, its rough. But that changes come aroudn lvl 10 or so and it realy gets fun. If your liked diablo, sacred, titan quest, etc, you will LOVE silverfall. Its hack n slash RPG at its best. Expand
  4. Mar 5, 2012
    Good sides: Basic gameplay mechanics like crafting/enchanting/skills are great, item stats vary and hunting better gear feels fun. If you liked Titan Quest, Diablo, Torchlight or other similiar RPGs you might also like this.

Bad sides: Bad voice acting, mediocre dialogue, mediocre story, uninteresting world, multiplayer does not work over internet and lan is buggy, lots of invisible walls, level-scaling takes away the feeling of progress, enemies can only do basic attacks, dumb companion AI and no means to command them(especially annoying if you play ranged - they won't attack enemies that are not within ~3 meters), WAY too high potion drop rate, quest won't give much experience(just about as much as killing 1-2 enemies). world map doesn't show anything except quick travel points and there's no minimap.

Don't worry it's not as bad as it sounds, I'm just better at complaining, lol.
  5. WilT.
    Mar 27, 2007
    It seems alright at first, but the worlds see very bladn and empty and repetitive. The skills don't really add any sort of strategy to the game, just spam fireball at them until they die. Graphics are good, but due to lack of color and atmosphere it gets really repetitive very fast. Also the way trees and such objects blocking your path disappear off the screen to allow you to see It seems alright at first, but the worlds see very bladn and empty and repetitive. The skills don't really add any sort of strategy to the game, just spam fireball at them until they die. Graphics are good, but due to lack of color and atmosphere it gets really repetitive very fast. Also the way trees and such objects blocking your path disappear off the screen to allow you to see through them is in theory a good idea, but nothing is more annoying than trying to shoot projectiles and having them hit invisible trees that you don't know are there. Another annoying thing is the lack of some basic controls found in other games in this genre. For example, there is no way to just stop and attack the enemy or shoot arrows or throw magic, you do actually have to click on the enemy, so for enemies that run around it ends up with a lot of clicking resulting in running around when you would rather be attacking. Then once you start to get engaged if you click somewhere not on an enemy to get away you just sit there and keep attacking, makes it hard to hit and run with some of the ranged classes. Mind you probably won't need to run the way enemies are quite weak compared to your magic and NPC party members. With this said, it does do a decent job of keeping you interested for a bit. My last problem is with the tech/nature trees. So some of the quests you follow either give you affinity to tech/nature which allow you to use items of different trees. Essentialy both tech and nature items are the same items with different names and changed pictures (or with slight stat differences). Just not enough in this game to recommend it over other great games in the genre like Titan Quest Immortal Throne. Expand
  6. JebP.
    Apr 21, 2007
    This is a good Diablo style game lots of goodies and is longer than I expected and the only problem I had was the was getting stuck on an invisible ledge and having to teleport back to a town controls a little quirky but other than that it is a really good game.
  7. SmackJ.
    Mar 22, 2007
    Probably the greatest hack n slash game since Diablo and what I've been waiting for.
  8. MarcoT.
    Mar 21, 2007
    Good game play. Graphics can be beter, however the game play makes it all good. I have been waiting for such a game since I left Diablo years ago!
  9. KenLin
    Mar 20, 2007
    plays like d2 (hack n' slash) but not as fast paced and not as fastand easy to catch on.
    Also the multiplayer is quite unique in that online campaign only allows specific 8 ppl to play to keep the game at steady pace. (pretty cool if i had friends -_- )
    Free play only lets you do side quests and not main, so youd have to do main quest on own in singleplayer and then bring it over to free play online. Graphics arent the greatest but its still pretty good. Lotsa of treasure in game and itll be even cooler when they add-in the unique items like they have in d2 in the upcoming patches!
  10. Mr.Moo
    Jun 3, 2007
    this is the kinda game that you wait a few months (hell even a year) for the price to come down, at least by that time the game will have patches and updates to fix all its down falls and actually be worth the 20$ you pay for it....maybe.
    May 14, 2007
    Well... Its been done before, but It is well done for single player play. Personally would rather play World of War Craft (I'm not fond of the game).
  12. TerenP.
    Mar 30, 2007
    A really great game, the only thing I didn't like was the camera, but only sometimes.
  13. BakaD.
    Jun 19, 2007
    There are few games that drive me off in less than an hour. Silverfall is one of those few. Graphically, Silverfall is very unimpressive. There 'may' be better graphics underneath the outlining, but Monte Cristo liked their outlining VERY much (And no, it does NOT look like you cell shaded it). Silverfall makes 'brilliant' use of 3D models, they put them in, and do There are few games that drive me off in less than an hour. Silverfall is one of those few. Graphically, Silverfall is very unimpressive. There 'may' be better graphics underneath the outlining, but Monte Cristo liked their outlining VERY much (And no, it does NOT look like you cell shaded it). Silverfall makes 'brilliant' use of 3D models, they put them in, and do nothing else. Now it can be argued that without 3D Models the game would take up four times more drive space... but Silverfall's usage of 3D models is basically just to state "we did it". Camera controls are all but non-existant, and even if you 'zoom' in to a 3rd person perspective (opposed to the overhead perpective) the gameplay becomes much harder, and the graphics look worse. Gameplay feels like it GREATLY favors one character over another. This is okay in a 'select class' game, but in a game that has you as a free class... it really hurts you in the end run. Then you have targeting issues, and even just 'seeing' the enemies you're fighting. Repeatedly clicking is doable, but clicking tiny enemies is rather hard... and if you can't really see the thing you're clicking... well. Choosing between playing silverfall, and just reinstalling + playing diablo. I choose diablo. Expand
  14. TSH
    Mar 20, 2007
    Has/had great potential, mix of terrible, lag, irritating gameplay, poor camera, poor save game structure and lack of optimization really detracts from the game. I keep trying to go back and play, but exit after 20 minutes out of sheer frustration.
  15. RezzzM.
    Mar 25, 2007
    The DEMO is a very good reflection of how the entire game will be. Get quest, kill monster, gain experience, manage inventory. Those dialogs with 1 choice and no voice acting are in fact the norm for most of the game. This is a great $10 or maybe even $20 game. But for $40, it didnt meet my expectations. Today, I expect novel worthy plot twists, elaborate companion interaction and grade A The DEMO is a very good reflection of how the entire game will be. Get quest, kill monster, gain experience, manage inventory. Those dialogs with 1 choice and no voice acting are in fact the norm for most of the game. This is a great $10 or maybe even $20 game. But for $40, it didnt meet my expectations. Today, I expect novel worthy plot twists, elaborate companion interaction and grade A voice acting for $40. I was hoping for the next KOTR or NWN2, and instead found pure Hack and slash. Coming from the GOLD BOX generation, I have an appreciation for that type of game play. If you are looking for the next Diablo, you will probably enjoy this game. The main thing is that you know what you are getting. Furthermore, download and play the DEMO before purchasing to make sure you can get it to run smoothly on your computer. A high-end graphics card doesnt matter, the game is CPUMemory bottlenecked (I highly recommend 2 Gigs RAM). And no... the retail version isn't any faster. Expand
  16. ErnoS.
    Apr 28, 2007
    if the game delivers what the demo promises, we're going to see a pearl that is quite unique in atmophere as well as in outlook, in a fresh, immersing way. Definitively worth it's price.
  17. ShaynR.
    Mar 15, 2007
    Well I expected more from the game but it turned out like a typical : get quest - kill - repeat... The world kinda doesn't get one involved much. Probably hack n slash fanatics may like this more than me.
  18. JimmusM.
    Mar 22, 2007
    I wanted to like this one, considering there have not been any Diablo challengers in a long time besides maybe Titan Quest. PROS: Decent graphics, adequate quest direction, generous variety of weapons, equipment and class options. CONS: Horrible lag even on the lowest settings with constant disk loads, targeting controls are imprecise and cause you to click on something you didn't I wanted to like this one, considering there have not been any Diablo challengers in a long time besides maybe Titan Quest. PROS: Decent graphics, adequate quest direction, generous variety of weapons, equipment and class options. CONS: Horrible lag even on the lowest settings with constant disk loads, targeting controls are imprecise and cause you to click on something you didn't intend, monsters are all in groups and respawn in the same areas again and again, French to English translation is still somewhat comical. (Anyone remember Darkstone? THAT was a great French-developed game!) Oh, and by the way, what's up with the 9.2 GIGABYTE install-size? It's larger than World of Warcraft and Oblivion. So disappointing, overall. Taking it back to store. Expand
  19. Dec 27, 2014
    cant compare to games of present time. Once you get the tutorial out of the way, get over the few bugs in controlling. if you go to wrong area or come across the wrong mob in this game your dead.but it has great character development and looks great for its age and is extremly fun to play..highly recommended if your an action rpg fan, or just need game with beautiful feeling and story.
  20. May 29, 2015
    A fresh air to the Action RPG world with nice simple graphics, more realistic than cartoonish, in the same style of Sacred, a big world to explore with one character alone or accompany with not more than two friends, you will level up skills choosing between magic or technology, I remember playing hours enjoying its nice art style, finding lots of gear and having fun.

Silverfall is not particularly a bad game, it just is not a groundbreaking game in a genre that has had several heavyweights that still shine to this very day. The game has a handful of irritating bugs that you would typically never see in other games, and ultimately hurts the final product. There is still plenty of enjoyment to be found with Silverfall though.
  2. Frequent levelling and plentiful and varied loot give Silverfall a definite momentum; the blend of worlds and the inventiveness of some of the creatures give it a modicum of novelty. This is an easy game to get swept along by, but, largely because of those serried foes, it's also an easy game to walk away from. [Apr 2007, p.82]
  3. PC Format
    An unexpectedly charming diversion of a game, but one that ultimatey fails to deliver on its early promise. A shame, really. [Apr 2007, p.62]