2.2

1. Mar 6, 2013
    Granted EA screwed up with the whole server load issue, but the game itself is great. Very deep, very enjoyable and overall a great game. It's a great upgrade from SimCity 4 and certainly better than Cities XL.

Is it perfect? no, definitely not, but it's very very good. Does "always online" suck? Sure it does. Are the cities small? yep, at least to begin with. Once the initial wave of launch traffic dies down nobody will think about these issues. Overall I would recommend this game to everyone. Please ignore the bad reviews on here as most are complaining about the server issues upon launch. While those do contribute to the game, the depth of the gameplay itself is not reflective of these launch issues. Let's give Maxis and the SimCity team some credit for all the hard work they did on a great game and not base everything on EA's lack of ability to have a smooth launch.
  2. Mar 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me start off by saying that this game is really good, but the main reason why this game is getting such awful scores is the launch (which i'm sure of many have heard about by now). followed by the fact that the city sizes are too small. but those issues personally don't bother me right now, it seems like most of the server issues have been fixed and since i never played other simcity titles, the small city sizes don't matter to me. i am sure that many people will utterly enjoy this game despite its flaws. Expand
  3. Mar 10, 2013
    I just purchased this game over the weekend even though I heard the servers were having trouble. I know they will fix the servers soon so that was not an issue for me since most games have some issues around launch. I have not had any issues with the servers, I was able to play fine last night and today. I am having a great time! This is such a fun game that hours just seemed to fly byI just purchased this game over the weekend even though I heard the servers were having trouble. I know they will fix the servers soon so that was not an issue for me since most games have some issues around launch. I have not had any issues with the servers, I was able to play fine last night and today. I am having a great time! This is such a fun game that hours just seemed to fly by without me even realizing it. I let my husband try it on my computer since he was curious about it as well. He didn't expect to play it long and about 3 hours later he was still playing! It has such addicting gameplay that just makes you want to play for hours. Needless to say he purchased a copy shortly after. We are now looking forward to building cities together. Minus the server issues that people seem to be having, Maxis deserves praise for creating such a fun game. Expand
  4. May 18, 2013
    The game works perfectly. It is very fun and realistic. I placed some parks down to increase wealth and that made the density increase making the city bigger.
  5. Mar 5, 2013
    It's brilliant!!
    The game design was helped by a city planner and it shows. You never stop having fun with it. I loved every single minute of playing it!
  6. Mar 6, 2013
    Going into this game I had high expectations. Being a player of simcity 3000 and simcity 4 I expected this game to be a great game. When I played it, it fullfiled all my hopes and desires for the series. Now most people judge games hardly, one thing out of place and it gets a zero.
    The two biggest reasons are:
    Drm servers, which ea said they would fix. the size of the City and region
    The two biggest reasons are:

Drm servers, which ea said they would fix.
    the size of the City and region is smaller, which doesn't bother me because having too many cities in a region made multitasking hard, here I can easily manage the cities in my region without going back and forth every five seconds.

The gameplay is also much simpler then simcity 4. In simcity 4, none of my cities lasted longer then a day, in this simcity I can easily keep my city going for a long time. The multiplayer is also a good feature because I can now play with other people, and enjoy it. Zoning is also easier, I don't need to do high density, low density, or any of that, I just need to put a road down and BAM, I get skyscrapers. Also the deletion of power lines and water pipes and making it flow by street is also a good bonus making it simpler then it's predecessors.

Though all this simplicity makes the game to easy at some points, making it tedious to keep going. Though it's not a big deal, I can just make another region with a different play style, or blow up the current city with disasters. In all, simcity is a great game, though flawed in non gameplay components, I give it an 8 out of 10
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    Personally I haven't had as much fun playing in years. No I couldn't download at 12.01 but my pre-order told me 5th of March. I downloaded in minutes this morning, and when I had some free time today (which is still the 5th of March lol) I managed 3 hours of extremely enjoyable, uninterrupted playtime. No bugs, no crashes, just fun.
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    Ok, first things first: Does it suck that you have to always be online, rely on unreliable servers, pay for DLC (which will definitely happen), and blah blah blah with this game? Yes. Does it suck that we are falling hook, line and sinker for these big business gimmicks? Yes. But, for me, being a gamer, it is the price to pay so I can play...at least now-a-days. Is it worth it? YouOk, first things first: Does it suck that you have to always be online, rely on unreliable servers, pay for DLC (which will definitely happen), and blah blah blah with this game? Yes. Does it suck that we are falling hook, line and sinker for these big business gimmicks? Yes. But, for me, being a gamer, it is the price to pay so I can play...at least now-a-days. Is it worth it? You be the judge...everyone is different. I mean, look at Metacritic (no offense Metapeeps), in order to even write or comment on here, you have to sign up, give them your email addy, birth date, blood type, first born, etc (ok, kidding on those last few...I don't want to get any Meta-lawsuits). Why? Cuz they want to just keep things organized? No way! They want to email you stuff that makes them money. I don't like it, but I put up with it (and also check the box that says "don't send me your crap"). Why do I do this, because I'm "paying for the service." I weigh the pros and cons and figure, "ok, I like Metacritic, so I'm willing to give you my email address, etc, so that I can use your site." So, the same thing goes with EA and all they're BS. I don't like it, but it's the price to pay. For those who are just protesting, good for you. But sadly nothing will happen, guys. I mean, if Occupy Wallstreet didn't really do anything, do you think Occupy EA is really going to do anything? Pick your battles. Instead of protesting, design your own stuff. Competition is how you "change" big business, not picketing. Now with that all behind me, here is the truth about the game a real score to get a sense of what this game is really like (with above problems "ignored"...or just not worried about). If you like Sim City games, you will like this game. If you like city building games, you will like this game. If you like being creative, you'll like this game. This is a cool, fun game. The graphics are modernized Simcity graphics. Do they look like Battlefield 3 graphics? No, but they're not going for that here. What they're going for is Simcity graphics, and they look good (and for some reason they just make me happy). The music and sound fx are great, too. As for game play, being able to zoom in and really get a VERY good sense of how things are going, is really amazing. The simulation is out of this world. I am surprised the game runs so smoothly considering how much computing all that unique simulating must take up. To be honest, I think that is why the map sizes are so small. They just can't run that sort of simulation on a map the size of the ones in Simcity 4. Which leads me to map size. Yes, they're small, and at first (before really playing), I was bummed out about it. But then I started doing what I think the Maxis people wanted us to do, and that is specialize cities, and make your region be one big city. So, instead of setting aside one area of my map for industry, the other side for residential, etc, I use one map for things like power, water, etc, and the others for things like education and big buildings...or whatever else you want to do. If you go at this game with that sort of goal, you really start to not mind the smaller plots (but hopefully future DLC give us bigger plots). Other than that, the game is a lot of fun. On a fun factor scale, it's a solid 10. Most people say prayers or kiss their wife good night right before falling asleep....losers like me found themselves thinking about this game and what I'd do differently next time I played, before going to sleep. So, be warned, you will waste hours and hours on this game. In conclusion and in my opinion, get the game...it's really fun. Yes, the required-to-play servers will eventually be turned off, but that won't be for a long, long time (there will probably be a new Simcity by then). In the meantime, you'll be able to enjoy a lot of time playing this very fun game. Expand
  9. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is great!
    Yes, there is a problem with the server, but it is related to the protection and the large influx of players, of course, this is temporary. Just need to wait.
    As the saying goes: "Forbidden fruit is sweet."
    Rate 9 of 10.
  10. Mar 17, 2013
    Amazing Game, Dont listen to people who rate it under 6. SimCity is getting fixed and better everyday with Servers, Bug, and Glitches being fixed. So people rate better and think better.
  11. Mar 22, 2013
    Don't believe the hate. This game works fine at this point, it looks great and is an absolute blast to play. If you like sim games, there's no reason you won't love the new Sim City. Interacting with a region is great fun and watching your city grow is just as fun as ever.

Sim City is a must buy.
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    Whenever I see a low rating for a restaurant on Yelp, I go ahead and look at the reasons for people's marking them down. I don't really think "the waiter had a cold," "the music was too loud," or "I went to a wings place and the nachos were awful" are valid criteria to measure the food...

I understand that people are disappointed/mad. I am DEFINITELY disappointed/mad. But the game is FANTASTIC! It's a brilliant update of the core game and genre to current-day parameters. The ambitions to create a shared experience is something I always wanted to see in SC4, and the ability to manage some (or all) of the cities in a region is exactly what I loved doing in that older iteration (one town for dirty industry, one for tech, one for dense commercial, etc.).

Origin/EA has done a mortifying job unrolling a very ambitious project. Surely they should provide all who purchased the game ahead-of-time some sort of consolation, even if it's just token in size. Upgrade us all to deluxe, or give us credits to buy future DLC. Anything!

HAVING SAID THIS: I feel terrible for everyone who made this game and has worked to get the servers optimized. How affected are our lives, really? The creators and administrators (not to mention the PR reps) are A) pariahs to the entire gaming community, B) working as hard as they can to fix the problems (albeit way too little, too late) C) soon to be out of a job (some will be black-sheeped for it all, of course). Again, what is that pain against our minor-to-moderate annoyance?

Long-winded way to say: Please rate the game, not the way the launch has gone. Creative criticism would speak so much louder than this double-barreled hatred.
  13. Mar 7, 2013
    SimCity is an excellent game, when it works. I was fortunate in that I was able to play the game for about 12 hours before the server issues started. I know that once they resolve the network issues, this will be revered as one of the best SimCity games yet. Some people take this way too seriously. It's just a game. These types of things are to be expected. I understand the frustration,SimCity is an excellent game, when it works. I was fortunate in that I was able to play the game for about 12 hours before the server issues started. I know that once they resolve the network issues, this will be revered as one of the best SimCity games yet. Some people take this way too seriously. It's just a game. These types of things are to be expected. I understand the frustration, but networking issues shouldn't reflect poorly against the stand alone game dynamics, which are really amazing. We are a nation of addicts and you can tell which posters are struggling to deal with not getting their fix. I've waited for years for this game. A few more hours won't kill me. Expand
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    Lets be honest here, yes the DRM sucks. However, the gameplay doesn't. I don't think the game deserves such low scores from bewildered customers, many of whom haven't actually played the game yet (thanks to the crappy DRM).

However, had these hacks actually played the game, they'd realize...man, this is a really great game. Its the classic SimCity game. Hits all the right notes, great graphics, and, when it works, region play with other people is actually quite enjoyable. The ability to pick and choose a specialization is a neat twist to the series, also the ability to "share" your public services (such as fire, police, and medical) offer up great strategy when playing with friends online (allowing you to maybe not purchase that $15000 upgrade at the fire dept, for something more useful...like a trade depot). Oh, and the ability to upgrade your buildings, well that's pretty sweet; not enough fire coverage in your city? Well, instead of buying a whole new fire dept, why not upgrade the one you've got? A great game mechanic, if you ask me. The only problem I have with the gameplay on this version of SimCity...well, is the map size. It's nothing like SC4, with HUGE maps to fill up to your hearts content...no, not this one. You've got a small plot, use it wisely. That takes away from otherwise a superb game.

8/10; Negatives being the small maps and the crappy DRM...

See through all this BS, the DRM alone doesn't warrant a bad review alone. It's a shame these imbeciles can't get past that.
  15. Mar 5, 2013
    DON'T LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWSssss!!!!!!! The game is awesome, if u love the old Simcities then there is no reason u shouldn't love this one, all this stupid talk about the DMR is for people who don't understand the difference between hating a game and hating its publisher, if ur a real computer gamer and live in this era u should have no problem being online all the time, and as forDON'T LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWSssss!!!!!!! The game is awesome, if u love the old Simcities then there is no reason u shouldn't love this one, all this stupid talk about the DMR is for people who don't understand the difference between hating a game and hating its publisher, if ur a real computer gamer and live in this era u should have no problem being online all the time, and as for origin, I haven't seen a problem with it and it been playing the game for 9 hours. Yea maps are a little smaller, but the interaction between the region proves exactly why that is. Instead of building a city and dumping it, this type of game play gives each city purpose and a direction, making it way more in depth then controlling one big city. Expand
  16. Mar 10, 2013
    A pretty fun game. Everybody says that the DRM is a problem, but i'm sure that they will have the issue sorted out eventually. It certainly is a improvement on the older games.
  17. Mar 20, 2013
    Its a good game though i feal that the cities ar a bit to small and the fact that you got an allways online drm on it kinda drags it down. THough when it works its a fun game.
  18. Mar 6, 2013
    I like the small maps, the game play mechanic is amazing. Each city is an interesting puzzle and there is no solution as the global market prices for stuff are ever changing. IT's cool having to rebuild who sections of your city. I wish I had 10% more space, I just quiet solve the puzzle, but it's fun. The dam servers however, are crap. I would wait for about a month until they tripleI like the small maps, the game play mechanic is amazing. Each city is an interesting puzzle and there is no solution as the global market prices for stuff are ever changing. IT's cool having to rebuild who sections of your city. I wish I had 10% more space, I just quiet solve the puzzle, but it's fun. The dam servers however, are crap. I would wait for about a month until they triple their server capacity. It also sucks that regions don't transfer between servers. Expand
  19. DXR
    Mar 5, 2013
    I'm having a grand time I find it hard to believe there are 300+ legit negative reviews. They revived a classic flawlessly. Only thing missing are larger areas (which they say will happen) Regardless, the smaller city sizes really make you think and strategize about using your space and trading with neighbors. It makes it so no one city can have everything in it. Overall I'd say itsI'm having a grand time I find it hard to believe there are 300+ legit negative reviews. They revived a classic flawlessly. Only thing missing are larger areas (which they say will happen) Regardless, the smaller city sizes really make you think and strategize about using your space and trading with neighbors. It makes it so no one city can have everything in it. Overall I'd say its worth buying! As for the DRM, welcome to the 21st century. If you've ever pirated a game, which I admit I have, you contributed to this result. It isn't that much of a drag. It really enriches the social capabilities, anyhow. You can really see how much work went into the artwork and mechanics which I really appreciate as a gamer. Expand
  20. Mar 5, 2013
    I'm really disappointed with this game and DRM. All I wanted to do was go camping or to a tropical beach and bring my computer to play my favorite sim game on my laptop pc. Crybaby gamers who only want to pirate games, shouldn't be playing games if they can't afford them. Never once have I had an issue with DRM. To be fair the game has been toned down and more "Sim"ified but there is a lotI'm really disappointed with this game and DRM. All I wanted to do was go camping or to a tropical beach and bring my computer to play my favorite sim game on my laptop pc. Crybaby gamers who only want to pirate games, shouldn't be playing games if they can't afford them. Never once have I had an issue with DRM. To be fair the game has been toned down and more "Sim"ified but there is a lot more depth added that is seriously needed for the series. There are elements of Civ involved where you can communicate with your neighboring cities, which just happen to be your friends from your friendslist. The game runs incredibly smooth for how far you can zoom in and out of your city. If you don't like DRM start voting with your wallets, this idea was not up to the developers and coders. It's a sort of a poetic justice when gamers gripe about too much control in a game where the goal is to control. I don't play games while camping. Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2013
    My reaction to servers being down a few hours: meh, I'll come back later then.
    Other's reaction: NOOO, this game isn't working and it will probably never do so ever again! It's a fraud and I demand my money back. I'll just rate this game a zero before I go kill myself.
    My reaction to servers being down a few hours: meh, I'll come back later then.

Seriously, stop being such impatient and accept the fact that all online games (yes, Simcity is an online game) is suffering at launch. Unless you're a bunch of retards (which I sometimes think you are), you knew what you were buying.

Sorry, for the strong words, but you guys really make me pissed.
  22. Mar 8, 2013
    So many people are going on about the business model for this game.. and fine, you are totally right, the launch sucked and that's because of the DRM.. but the actual game is awesome!! I haven't had so much fun in a simulation game, and that's why it had positive reviews by critics. Got a problem with launch yourself? How about you just breath deeply, sit back for 2 days or so and give itSo many people are going on about the business model for this game.. and fine, you are totally right, the launch sucked and that's because of the DRM.. but the actual game is awesome!! I haven't had so much fun in a simulation game, and that's why it had positive reviews by critics. Got a problem with launch yourself? How about you just breath deeply, sit back for 2 days or so and give it another try. I have had flawless play time for the past 4 or so hours.. giving that it is 2-3 days after the initial release. You shouldn't not-buy a game because it is DRM. If the game is good, then buy it and give it a rating based on how the GAME is, not how the business model is. It's fair to take aim at the company for doing the DRM, but the game itself shouldn't suffer if it is up to scratch. Expand
  23. Mar 5, 2013
    While I would love to give it a 10 to help balance out the ridiculous knee jerk reaction of the mob, I have standards and ethics. I enjoy the game, I understand the problems but do believe they should have been anticipated and planned for. There are features like one way roads and overpasses that are important to citybuilding that aren't included.

However its a deep game, the simulation

However its a deep game, the simulation is beautiful and it satisfies my inner nerd. Here's to hope that they continue to put genuine effort into it without money gouging for DLC too much.
  24. Mar 9, 2013
    Just want to review after seeing 0s and 1s, I know most of users gave it bad because of DRM or several connection problem of the servers, but I think we are here to review that game itself. For me, it is the best city builder game available in market right now, there is no competition, the system of building is great, easy and very informative, city runs in dynamic way, yet it is very easyJust want to review after seeing 0s and 1s, I know most of users gave it bad because of DRM or several connection problem of the servers, but I think we are here to review that game itself. For me, it is the best city builder game available in market right now, there is no competition, the system of building is great, easy and very informative, city runs in dynamic way, yet it is very easy for the player to get all information, interface is great, graphics cannot get any better, sounds are superb, very enjoyable game for any city builder. Thanks to the developers that they removed the annoying things that was in previous game, like the water pipes and electrical towers, now those things are always automatics, and focuses on the fun things only, the only problem which most mentioned is the city size is small, but I think it is not a big issue since you can keep connecting other cities in the same region and get interacted with each other. 9/10 (excellent job Maxis) Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2013
    I was initially put off by the meta critic scores for this game and was leery, but then realized that on the internet everyone is entitled and that it doesn't take much for someone to rage and drop a "0" for a score over the slightest infraction. As such I went into the game with an open mind.

A good chunk of the bombs being dropped on this game by users is the complaining of the needing an internet presence to play it. This being 2013, is not a new thing. We can hate it all day long but the end of the day it comes down to piracy and a company wanting to protect their software from being freely shared across the world. I take it as something that is annoying but at this time required, and as much venom spewed at EA for implementing this can equally be spewed at the people who pirate everything that caused this to have to be put in place.

Sweeping away all of the online presence complaints we get to the meat of the game, which is what I care most about. I was able to log in, the server was down a couple of times but resolved itself within minutes of my loading, and I played pretty much all night.

I am a huge fan of the series, and I have to say that my impression of Sim City 5 is that it is a fairly solid title. It kept me entertained for most of the night and had me doing the "just another 5 minutes" that few games seem to be able to do for me.

I enjoy seeing my city in 3D now. The simulation aspect is like it has always been, or seems to be. I think as a Sim City game it does what it has always done, and that was what I personally was looking for. The only gripes that I really had focused on lot sizes, but that's not something that will make me not want to play it. Its also something that I feel can be addressed with an expansion, which I am sure will follow much like the SIMS do (I even see some interactivity between the SIMS and SIM CITY as it was in the past with predecessors of the game)

So I say if you are a fan of the series, or are looking for a solid city building simulation, this game delivers what it says it will. The DRM crying doesn't affect the game to me. It's an anti-piracy method that is in place because that's the world we live in. Love that or hate it. If you hate DRM, don't buy the game. As to requiring the servers being up all the time to play and in "X years the servers will be gone and you won't be able to play", I leave the logical fallacies out of the review. Jumping to conclusions doesn't really serve a review very well.
  26. mIX
    Mar 7, 2013
    The game play is awesome and interface is much easier to use that past versions. This really is a great update to the Sim City series. Unfortunately the launch for this game has been horrible! I played the beta and it ran great. The real thing runs like crap right now... and EA should have known they'd need more servers... we paid enough for the game.
  27. Mar 7, 2013
    This is a good game but don't buy it in its current state. If and when i can connect I have enjoyed it. Problems I have encountered include non functioning menus, inability to connect, inability to use normal functions such as PLAY. Bugs such as a recycling plant that does not function and an inability to see the area map or start a new town. the list of problems is numerous and untilThis is a good game but don't buy it in its current state. If and when i can connect I have enjoyed it. Problems I have encountered include non functioning menus, inability to connect, inability to use normal functions such as PLAY. Bugs such as a recycling plant that does not function and an inability to see the area map or start a new town. the list of problems is numerous and until its fixed don't buy it. Once it is fixed i would give it a solid 8.5 Cheers. Expand
  28. Mar 10, 2013
    look i see why people are giving it negative reviews but what is the point in playing the game. The point is so that you can see what it is like yeah it may have its flaws but all in all its a good deep simulated city and that is what we wanted at the launch of any pc game the servers will always be at maximum capacity but if you think about it we asked for the game to be launched earlylook i see why people are giving it negative reviews but what is the point in playing the game. The point is so that you can see what it is like yeah it may have its flaws but all in all its a good deep simulated city and that is what we wanted at the launch of any pc game the servers will always be at maximum capacity but if you think about it we asked for the game to be launched early so we brought all of the glitches on ourselves the one thing i do have to say is that the game always skips a frame Expand
  29. Mar 15, 2013
    The user scores are pretty ridiculous here. I mean yes the launch was all kinds of messed up, even still it can be hard to actually play the game...but aside from that I believe it's a decent game...until you run out space to build. The city size is a crippling limitation. Don't feed into the BS that it's because of the inter connectivity of the different cities in a region....that couldThe user scores are pretty ridiculous here. I mean yes the launch was all kinds of messed up, even still it can be hard to actually play the game...but aside from that I believe it's a decent game...until you run out space to build. The city size is a crippling limitation. Don't feed into the BS that it's because of the inter connectivity of the different cities in a region....that could easily be scaled up. The largest maps contain 4 regions of 4 city lots. One city should take up not just those lots, but the entire area...the entire map even if the player chooses. I will give it a 7 because aside from those aspects, the game is nice. Cities XL '13 has better graphics...I will probably go back to playing that. Expand
  30. Mar 5, 2013
    Actual game play does not represent the average user rating here. The game is amazing and very entertaining i played it for hours straight. Its challenging and easy at the same time. Many people complain about map size but the multi-city feature makes it better, you can share resources from city to city (Electricity, Oil, work force population, jobs) so its makes the game team based.Actual game play does not represent the average user rating here. The game is amazing and very entertaining i played it for hours straight. Its challenging and easy at the same time. Many people complain about map size but the multi-city feature makes it better, you can share resources from city to city (Electricity, Oil, work force population, jobs) so its makes the game team based. However one downside is the connecting to the internet but that has nothing to do with game play, soon as they get there servers in line the game will be set to go. Overall a great game don't let the negative score push you away from this game. Expand
  31. Mar 7, 2013
    If you look on reviews of almost everyone here who did red rating.. they are just doing this on all games. Putting negative score on games to decrease rating. Metacritic should ban them all. This game is epic. No problems with DRM here.
  32. Mar 6, 2013
    Absolutely the best iteration of the Sim City series. It's nothing short of genius, and insanely addictive. I've not had any problems with servers or DRM.
  33. Mar 6, 2013
    Absolutely love this game. I haven't had any problems other than being addicted. It is really easy to learn and use. The always online feature really adds to the dynamic of cross city deals and the cooperative nature is great. I sent excess fire trucks and police cars to a neighboring city experiencing a zombie epidemic. I highly recommend this game.
  34. Mar 7, 2013
    The game currently has huge server problems, but if you can play it is quite good. Currently i did not find it very hard and the only thing that i do not like is that the regions are quite limited in size.
  35. Mar 6, 2013
    A lot of stupid reviews as usual on the user reviews. If you bought this game thinking that it wasn't ALWAYS ONLINE, you're an idiot. Been playing this game a ton since it became available i was able to download it amazingly fast which was a nice suprise. I figured with so many people trying to access it, that it would take a long time to get. Got right into the game with my origin accountA lot of stupid reviews as usual on the user reviews. If you bought this game thinking that it wasn't ALWAYS ONLINE, you're an idiot. Been playing this game a ton since it became available i was able to download it amazingly fast which was a nice suprise. I figured with so many people trying to access it, that it would take a long time to get. Got right into the game with my origin account info. Love that aspect and how you can see others around you with their origin accounts as well. I've had ZERO que wait times and the game loads fine almost every time. I had one instance when i came home for lunch and had to log out of origin and then back in to get into the game. Took me all of 30 seconds. Firstly, on the game play itself. It's smooooottthh. Everything you need is right there and easily accessible. you can scroll in and view your city at the sim's level, which is really cool. The map sizes are smaller for a reason. In SimCity 4 i would first lay out just a massive amount of farming and then build a small city center from there and then slowly build into a metropolis. With SimCity 5 it forces you to really analyze how you want your city laid out and how to make it look asthetically pleasing as well as economically viable. The specialization is probably the best idea in the game. The first city i build is not so pretty so i had to start demolishing sections of town as i was making it more of a cultural center for tourism (I'm saving casino's for last as i think they'll be a lot of fun). It really emphasises on basic theory behind specialization. For instance, with culture i wanted places easily accessible to tourists so i built a nice bus system with close stops all around the attractions. Then i decided to build some nicer commercial areas around and my revenue just went through the roof! Now i'm trying to build a highly educated city with top research so this means with top research/gadget production i need a really good market and way to export my goods while keeping the land value around these areas. These are all things that SimCity makes you think about! An oxymoron to put it is that it's so much easier to play, however it's much harder to master than previous simcity games. If you let go of the old you'll love this game. I even wake up a bit earlier before work to put in 30min into my city. There are so many cool little nitches with this game i won't go through all of them. Better to discover on your own!

For the downsides, some of the road building can be annoying. I want to build a road in a certain way and the game will snap it in particular ways sometimes. I like things to be exactly how i like them in my city as i usually want it a certain way so something else will fit well within that area. Ie. i wanted to build a really nice park center within my high income sims and because the roads wouldn't work exactly how i wanted them within the park it didn't look at natural (Asthetically pleasing as i had envisioned). The other downside to me is that it's easier to manage your city funds. I remember in SimCity 4 you could really get yourself in trouble. In 5 it's really easy to keep your income up to where you're always in the black. For example, in prior sims i would be really sketchy of taking out a bond/loan. In 5 i'll take out a bond, build some homes, infrastructure, and/or other revenue generating ventures and never really worry about it. I'd like a bit more thought into taking out bonds than what is currently there.
  36. Mar 6, 2013
    While the "Always On" connection requirement could be strict for someone (not for me, but it's however an "unwelcome" feature), the only thing I would like to see improved (thanks to my uber PC config) is the city size. I've been a gamer for SO MANY years that I found simply silly to complain for servers saturation in the first week of launch. The US servers were satured just because manyWhile the "Always On" connection requirement could be strict for someone (not for me, but it's however an "unwelcome" feature), the only thing I would like to see improved (thanks to my uber PC config) is the city size. I've been a gamer for SO MANY years that I found simply silly to complain for servers saturation in the first week of launch. The US servers were satured just because many guys from EU, waiting for their launch used the VPN and connected to US servers to have people to play with. IMHO before the weekend the issue will be fixed. And no, this simcity isn't a simple "single player" game at least not this time. Expand
  37. Mar 6, 2013
    Ok, the launch was less than a complete success. I had issues with crashes, server outages, even installation issues. The bad aside, this is a good game that takes city building to the next level. A lot of work has been done on improving the graphics, gameplay, and maps as a whole. Small things like rounded streets, free zoning and rezoning, and towns that are actually profitable andOk, the launch was less than a complete success. I had issues with crashes, server outages, even installation issues. The bad aside, this is a good game that takes city building to the next level. A lot of work has been done on improving the graphics, gameplay, and maps as a whole. Small things like rounded streets, free zoning and rezoning, and towns that are actually profitable and can be built in a few hours rather than days. The idea of having neighbors who can share resources like fire stations, police stations, ambulances, and even resources is a great addition to the game. Overall an excellent game that had a rough launch, but is worth the cost and time of playing. Expand
  38. Mar 8, 2013
    I would give this game a 10 if not for the server/launch issues they are having. I also don't like the lack of a local save option. Setting those issues aside, when the game works it is AMAZING. I loved Simcity 4 and this is better than it, hands down. The sheer amount of content and the stunning level of detail and power of the simulation engine are astounding. Also, the ability toI would give this game a 10 if not for the server/launch issues they are having. I also don't like the lack of a local save option. Setting those issues aside, when the game works it is AMAZING. I loved Simcity 4 and this is better than it, hands down. The sheer amount of content and the stunning level of detail and power of the simulation engine are astounding. Also, the ability to customize/expand the plop-down buildings is a huge leap in functionality for SimCity. Its too bad the launch problems and online-only are giving the game a bad rep. Expand
  39. Mar 10, 2013
    Listen, get past the server problems, random crashes, and the queues and when you DO play like I finally did I have to say I LOVE this game! I spent at least 6+ hours straight and I wasn't even aware until I was starving because I had skipped lunch and dinner. You know the devs are working like they said they would because on those new servers, I had no problems in connection. (However,Listen, get past the server problems, random crashes, and the queues and when you DO play like I finally did I have to say I LOVE this game! I spent at least 6+ hours straight and I wasn't even aware until I was starving because I had skipped lunch and dinner. You know the devs are working like they said they would because on those new servers, I had no problems in connection. (However, the 1st and 2nd servers are still very busy). You know the game is good when you spend hours doing a million and one things, and even after all this, you don't feel burned out or bored like many other games out there. Each time I play this game, I can't help but smile because it's like a brand new game everytime! That is my honest opinion and I give it a 8.1. It could have been a 9.1 easy! In conclusion, once this whole login/ server busy/ queue issue gets worked out, this game will become another classic and fan favorite! ^_^ Cheers. Expand
  40. Apr 30, 2013
    i love this game thy made it simple and nice you learn is you play. its kinda sad that after you spend a lot of time building your city you realize at the end that you didnt build the roads in the right way and you need to destroy everything to re-build the roads to increase the dinsaty of the area. but its wayyyy better then the old ones
  41. Mar 6, 2013
    Well, I have played just over 20 hours and this game is great. I like the region options, although I wish the overall per city map is bigger, my largest city has a population of 120,000. The options are Good all around although the game is a resource hog. Yes the requirement for always online sucks but people should pay for there work. Trading between regions is cool, as you can make aWell, I have played just over 20 hours and this game is great. I like the region options, although I wish the overall per city map is bigger, my largest city has a population of 120,000. The options are Good all around although the game is a resource hog. Yes the requirement for always online sucks but people should pay for there work. Trading between regions is cool, as you can make a city and dedicate garbage, water, electrical, sewage, trading etc. Bigger maps are required and Iam happy. Always online but there is a lot more positive the bad in this game. Expand
  42. Mar 5, 2013
    I have no problem to play this game. EU West server is OK. Gameplay is great and make me addicted so don't care about it always online. enjoy the game.
  43. Mar 15, 2013
    People go on and on about the online-only, but that is only a temporary issue. The biggest problem with Simcity that's been discovered since its launch is that the AI the game uses for the citizens is absolutely abysmal. Citizens don't really live anywhere or have jobs. They just appear out of houses each day and roam around looking for jobs. If they cant find any, the housing losesPeople go on and on about the online-only, but that is only a temporary issue. The biggest problem with Simcity that's been discovered since its launch is that the AI the game uses for the citizens is absolutely abysmal. Citizens don't really live anywhere or have jobs. They just appear out of houses each day and roam around looking for jobs. If they cant find any, the housing loses happiness. It doesn't matter if all your jobs are connected via roads. The citizens will simply march to the nearest jobs and keep going door to door. What this means is that your important mining industry on the other side of town will keep closing due to worker shortages, while some citizens will still complain they couldn't find a job. The only way for a player to fix this is by meticulous trial and error or by making the city have only one winding snake-like avenue with a good distribution of zones so that it's impossible for citizens to not find the local shopping and industry every day. Somehow the game is still pretty fun for a city-builder, but I hope they fix the idiotic AI. Expand
  44. Mar 6, 2013
    Yes the DRM really sux but that is about the only bad thing I have to say about this game. Games that always have to be connected to the internet is just going to be a reality moving forward so get used to it. There is a tone of complexity in this game. If you are a micromanagement glutton, this is the game for you.
  45. Mar 8, 2013
    So, after buying the game last night, even after reading scores of reviews and commentary on Origin, EA, and DRM server issues, I have to say I'm very happy I didn't listen to the negative scores. The game itself is a 9/10 for me on a couple of basis. For one thing, the lack of in depth public transportation option is a tad annoying. I'm a huge fan of monorails and subways in the classics,So, after buying the game last night, even after reading scores of reviews and commentary on Origin, EA, and DRM server issues, I have to say I'm very happy I didn't listen to the negative scores. The game itself is a 9/10 for me on a couple of basis. For one thing, the lack of in depth public transportation option is a tad annoying. I'm a huge fan of monorails and subways in the classics, and miss building them. For another, I bought a physical copy of the game. When using the disc to install a portion of the game, it causes graphical errors where there is no terrain, but you see buildings. It's an easy fix, just download it. So, after fighting my way through the server base, thinking it would be more fun to hit my phallus with a hammer, I was pretty upset. Then I got into my region. I paused it, set my preliminary road network, wind plant, and zoned, then unpaused it. Fellow gamers, I've been waiting for an online SimCity since SimCity 2000 Network Edition where I played one multiplayer game with a school chum, that is nearly 15 years and I have to say, this game is art. Once I fought through all that, the moment I watched the Price family buy their mobile home, and search for a job in my buddy's neighboring city, it was all worth it. I won't judge the game for it's Server issues, that's the company's fault not the game. I'm not here to stroke EA's ego, lord knows that company needs to hide in a cave in the Sahara waiting for future archeologists to rediscover them. But the game itself brings me back to the original SimCity, playing it on a DOS run computer, waiting for my grandmum to bring me tea. I highly recommend this to any true SimCity fan. So, as I eagerly await the work day to end, I leave you with one more thing to say. "Simcopter 1 reporting heavy traffic" Expand
  46. Mar 9, 2013
    This Review is purely based on when I am able to play, which is NOT that hard to do, you had to work a little bit day one but yeah, had problems with almost every Multiplayer servers on day one. When you get to play this game, it's pure fun, it's not half as complex as the 4th was yet has a really nice dept to it. Maps are Smaller but adds to the difficulty, you can't pop 20 nuclear powerThis Review is purely based on when I am able to play, which is NOT that hard to do, you had to work a little bit day one but yeah, had problems with almost every Multiplayer servers on day one. When you get to play this game, it's pure fun, it's not half as complex as the 4th was yet has a really nice dept to it. Maps are Smaller but adds to the difficulty, you can't pop 20 nuclear power stations anymore just because. you have to THINK about where you will be planting every little ''paid'' buildings since you wont want to destroy it and leave your city without water for 1-2 hours. Didn't have the chance to build a great work yet but i think it's a really nice idea to have such thing, great boost for the ''region'' yet you need to work for it. Regions are not a bad idea and I think even solo players will enjoy it. If we take Sim city5 against the 4th without any mods and patches (the current state of the 5th) The newest title has no need to be jealous and is a really good game if you give it a real try. Expand
  47. Mar 13, 2013
    Well I only just got the game so I missed all the excitement of the server issues The always on internet requirement is still annoying though, especially as I'm moving house and will have no internet for a week! It would have got a 9 otherwise. Having said that, i do like the multiplayer aspect. I'm in a clan and we have our own region so it will be fun to pollute everyone else's citiesWell I only just got the game so I missed all the excitement of the server issues The always on internet requirement is still annoying though, especially as I'm moving house and will have no internet for a week! It would have got a 9 otherwise. Having said that, i do like the multiplayer aspect. I'm in a clan and we have our own region so it will be fun to pollute everyone else's cities :)

The game itself is a joy to play. I thought I would hate the smaller map sizes but so far it hasn't really bothered me as much as I thought it would. The graphics are superb and it is extremely addictive.

To get this up to a 10, all that is needed is trains (as in local trains and subways not the region ones), large maps (so you can have realistic sprawling suburbs) and the ability to play totally offline.
  48. Mar 9, 2013
    So, what to make of SimCity? I've been playing SimCity since 1989, when the first one came out. Yes, this game is radically different than the other SimCity games. I've read a lot of reviews that seems to be blasting the game for not being exactly like 4. I think this is an unrealistic expectation. The first change, and something I really can't defend, is the always online requirement. ItSo, what to make of SimCity? I've been playing SimCity since 1989, when the first one came out. Yes, this game is radically different than the other SimCity games. I've read a lot of reviews that seems to be blasting the game for not being exactly like 4. I think this is an unrealistic expectation. The first change, and something I really can't defend, is the always online requirement. It makes no sense. I am happy to report that as of 3/8/13, I've been able to connect with minimal problems. It's still unacceptable, as EA could turn those servers off at any time. I seriously doubt they'll be maintained for more 4-5 years. I was conflicted as to if I should deduct points from my score for the DRM. It's not really the game itself, but it impacts the game. After considering it, I ultimately decided the game loses 1 point for the DRM.

As for the game play itself, it's enjoyable. While zoning looks different, it's still similar. For instance, I've found if you make roads in a square configuration and lay residential zones around the entire interior, it functions very similarly to the old zoning system. Of course, you can't make the squares too large or this breaks down. The guide lines are your friend for properly placing the roads.

Another issue mentioned is the size of the lot. Yes, I admit it's small but I find that it's actually not as constricting as one would imagine. I played for about 4 hours on Llama speed for most, but not all, of the time. (I've never enjoyed any of the SimCities on high speed) I had less than half the map filled up, so it doesn't go by quite as fast as some other reviews on here claim. I suppose if you ran it on Cheetah speed the entire time, the time to build might be reduced.

I eventually started up a second city as I realized I had screwed the first one up beyond fixing unless I wanted to shell out several hundred thousand simoleons to fix it. I did not want to do this. And that brings me to the next part: The "region grid" with the multiple city sites. I like this idea, actually. Very rarely in real life do you get a city that functions entirely on its own. They always need to bring things in from outside, and I found this system to work very well. My first city had a large excess of power, so I bought some for my second city. The first city sometimes sends over cops or ambulances to help out. Sometimes an arsonist escapes from the first city and tries to burn down the second. I'm actually enjoying this very much, and like the idea of making a series of interconnected cities.

People complain about the lack of infrastructure, and I can understand that. I enjoyed optimally placing power wires. I'd make them incredibly redundant. 4 or 5 power plants with a giant tangle of lines so no one can ever lose power without destroying the power plants. Sure, that was fun, but not really a necessary component of the game. I don't see the loss of infrastructure control as a big thing overall.

Do I like what the old SimCity games had to offer? Definitely. Do I like what the new SimCity offers? Absolutely. It's a different perspective at a game. It leans just a little towards the casual and, quite honestly, that makes the game better. I can see why hardcore SimCity gamers would hate this, and that's fine. Not everyone will. I may have played SimCity since the start, but I don't consider myself a hardcore fan. Once every few years, I'll pull one of the games out and play them for a few weeks, then put it away and pull it out again a few years later.

People also complain about Day One DLC. I don't see a problem with it. I like the concept of DLC so long as it doesn't take away from gameplay. What's the day one DLC? The ability to make European-looking cities. (Place a Double Decker Bus Station, for instance, and everything starts looking British.) That's completely visual. It's fine. If the ability to place Industrial Zones was DLC... well, then I'd have a problem. But it isn't, so I don't.

The way I see it, it comes down to this: If you like SimCity the way it was, and I can absolutely see why someone would, go play that. SimCity 4 holds up wonderfully even by 2013 standards. You want something different? Just as engaging and addictive? Then give SimCity 5 a try. The best endorsement I can give the game is this: I started playing at 10pm a few nights ago. After I played for a while and looked at the clock, it was 5am. Yeah, it's _that_ sort of a game.

So, final score? Without the DRM, it'd get a solid 9/10. I'd like to see a few changes (variable sized cities would be nice, maybe the ability to place farmland again) but the game is great as is. However, as I stated earlier, the game loses 1 point for its obnoxious DRM. Final verdict is 8/10.
  49. Mar 9, 2013
    Although the issues logging in are from gone, the game overall is brilliant. Such a shame, if it weren't for poor management SimCity would have scored alot higher.
  50. Mar 26, 2013
    Despite everyone complaining about server ques and such I have been able to log on instantly every time. I don not find the criticisms of this being a "single player game" because it's not; the game has been built around the concept of people in a region building cities and sharing (novel concept) their resources to complete challenges or construct great works. Everything about this gameDespite everyone complaining about server ques and such I have been able to log on instantly every time. I don not find the criticisms of this being a "single player game" because it's not; the game has been built around the concept of people in a region building cities and sharing (novel concept) their resources to complete challenges or construct great works. Everything about this game suggests a multiplayer game. When you set up your city in a region you rely on other cities for quicker city growth, electricity, water, supplies and in some cases, workers. I have played for about 10 hours so far and have had so much fun playing this. Yes, there is the odd graphical glitch and technical oddities but nothing worth me not buying this game. I think this game challenges the world to cooperate instead of competing to expand your city to the maximum which obviously the population is not able to cope with.

10/10 EA! I also like the free copy of MOH:W That I got with the purchase!
  51. Mar 6, 2013
    Honestly, reading the reviews I expected to be have problems with SimCity at launch, but in fact the experience was quite enjoyable. Took a bit over an hour to download and install, which is lengthy but exceeded my expectations for a release day download. Once installed, the 3 available US servers were predictably full during US prime time, so I figured better to avoid the queue and takeHonestly, reading the reviews I expected to be have problems with SimCity at launch, but in fact the experience was quite enjoyable. Took a bit over an hour to download and install, which is lengthy but exceeded my expectations for a release day download. Once installed, the 3 available US servers were predictably full during US prime time, so I figured better to avoid the queue and take a potential performance hit choosing an EU server with space available until load dies down over time. In fact, there was no performance issue at all. Played about 5 hours with one crash, after which I got right back in. If the EU server with my game on it happens to be full during their off hours later and I can't get back to cities I've started, Ill be less pleased.

The game mechanics so far are great. If you are concerned about city size, you are doing it wrong. The game is designed to have multiple specialized cities in a region working together, not one sprawling metropolis doing it all. It feels like people who complain about this don't understand the mechanic or are stubbornly ignoring to try to play the same style as the previous titles. If you are one of these people, you're gonna have a bad time. In my play time I managed to get an industrial town off the ground and the use its resources to get a casino/residential/commercial town going. The mechanics of sharing resources and services between cities is fun and probably gets pretty challenging to manage in large regions. If you choose a 16 city region, running out of space should be a very distant concern. It can be a bit of an annoyance having to jump to and load another city to tweak some service you are sharing (add more truck bays or what have you), then jump back to the city you are working on. If I got it going on that SSD I've had my eye on, even that modest annoyance would probably become negligible.

I knocked off a couple of points for the annoying always online DRM, despite the fact that it has yet to cause me any issues. I doubt I will play much, if any, on public regions because, quite frankly, if the people who are writing these reviews are the people playing the game, I don't want to play with any of you!
  52. Mar 6, 2013
    Amazing entry in the simcity series.
    Yes there is server issues but in all honesty this happens for MANY games the few days of release.
    Yes I wish it had an offline mode, but in the end its a very well made game overall, it just has a few issues. There is some bugs, Always on DRM sucks,etc.. but the actual gameplay is fantastic. It is fun has hell, has great gameplay, good graphics
    Amazing entry in the simcity series.

It is fun has hell, has great gameplay, good graphics and most importantly its fun as hell.
    I am a long time simcity fan and I enjoy this game alot. Yes there is issues but there is also A TON to enjoy in this game also.

I say buy the game if you dont mind the issues the game has.
  53. Mar 6, 2013
    This is a really fun reboot of the simcity franchise. The multiplayer side of the game actually improves gameplay. It's interesting to be able to claim an abandoned city and improve someone else disaster.
  54. Mar 7, 2013
    Yes, Online DRM is stupid, I know. But that doesn't mean that if you manage to get in the game, the game is horrendous. Actually I found it very enjoyable. Starting off with a complete set of regions, all with different kind of landscapes, you're going to make your first connection to the rest of the world and from there, it's all yours. You can even expand buildings, like a city wasn'tYes, Online DRM is stupid, I know. But that doesn't mean that if you manage to get in the game, the game is horrendous. Actually I found it very enjoyable. Starting off with a complete set of regions, all with different kind of landscapes, you're going to make your first connection to the rest of the world and from there, it's all yours. You can even expand buildings, like a city wasn't enough. Only flaw I have is that I kind of miss the terrain tools and at a 50.000 population, some problems start becoming serious. I had to place ten water towers across the city for example and all my buildings became poor, dirty appartments just because I had too much industry. But I can't really blame myself because the cities are a bit to small. But that's no problem; they already promised to patch that problem in the future. Other than that, the game is really enjoyable and one of EA's best in years (Sims 3 get's kind of outdated at the moment). Multi City play is very fun and the online leaderboards, SimCity World, is also very enjoyable. 9 out of ten, because the game deserves more than a 2.0! And that DRM flaw: don't blame EA, but the damn pirates! Expand
  55. Mar 8, 2013
    Yes, I also had problems yesterday to find a server. Yes, I wasn't happy as well, that the server didn't work.

BUT, now, the game works well and i love it! I played it now for 3-5 hours and I need to say, that i don't want to stop playing it. It makes a lot of fun to build up your city and see how your city is growing and growing!
  56. Mar 9, 2013
    I approached SimCity with dread. SC4 was one of my favourite games of all time. All of the venom surrounding the botched launch didn't give me much hope. Surprisingly it went pretty well, the first attempt ended with a server issue but since then the (Oceanic 2) server has been fine, even the auto saving games has been painless. The game itself is a bit of a mixed bag. I really like someI approached SimCity with dread. SC4 was one of my favourite games of all time. All of the venom surrounding the botched launch didn't give me much hope. Surprisingly it went pretty well, the first attempt ended with a server issue but since then the (Oceanic 2) server has been fine, even the auto saving games has been painless. The game itself is a bit of a mixed bag. I really like some of the additions to the gameplay such as upgradeable structures. The 'region' play is quite pointless and I don't see how the 'multiplayer' adds much either as its really just a trade facility. Music/audio is okay, if a bit flat, graphics are pretty good but some weird artefacts detract. Overall it's a pretty reasonable city builder IMHO. Without some of the bizzare choices EA/Maxis have made (Multiplayer focus, Region centric gameplay and small map size being the biggest issues) it could have been a worthy addition to the franchise but as it is it's an enjoyable little game that should have been huge. Expand
  57. Mar 7, 2013
    Ok. No big issues with the game itself, city size is the only big flaw. DRM destroys the experiance. Game is unplayable because of EA's servers 3 days after release. If Multiplayer aspect was optional and singleplayer was guaranteed without Internet requirement game would have been better. Now it's unplayable.
  58. Mar 14, 2013
    First off, I have to get this out of the way; I am not nor have ever been employed by EA or Maxis (or by anyone, for that matter, with even loose ties in the gaming industry). I am just an avid gamer. I hold no grudges against any developers or publishers, although, as in this case, it's pretty evident when one, or both, of them slips up.

EA undeniably soured the release of an otherwise

EA undeniably soured the release of an otherwise sweet game with SimCity, albeit not in the usual way they're accused of. But when we look passed the Always Online DRM, how much of gamers' quibbles with SimCity are actually EA's fault?

To begin, there have been some redeeming things EA have done (or tried to do) in response to all the anger and frustration aimed at them. On March 18th for instance, "a free PC download game from the EA portfolio" will be available to all active SimCity users. It took less than three days (which by industry standards is blazing fast) to drastically improve server load and performance and increase the total number of servers. How long has Crysis 3 been out? Black Ops 2? Have they even acknowledged the issues with their servers? (For those who don't know what I mean by this, I have been unable to get a consistently lag-free connection with either those games in multiplayer, especially Black Ops 2, and it's certainly not my IP)

But let's focus on the major complaints from gamers regarding SimCity: small city sizes, forced multiplayer, micro-transactions, inability to save/load on HDD, and Day One DLC. At least one of these isn't even true, and all seem quite clearly to me as design choices made by the developer, Maxis. Let's get two of the easy complaints out of the way; privatizing a game is as simple as checking a box, and I have yet to find ANY micro-transaction opportunity (I don't even see what purpose they'd serve beyond catering to the laziest of players), and even if they were everywhere, they're little more than a purchasable cheat, having no effect on gameplay for those who choose to ignore them. Day One DLC can be controversial, but really? This "DLC" is a tourist attractions package of sorts that offers real-world wonders and buildings such as the Eiffel Tower. Unless you want to recreate Paris, there is absolutely nothing you're missing out on. SimCity was always a creative game where you built cities from your imagination.

The inablitiy to save onto a private hard disk is kind of dumb but necessary to the whole idea of a pseudo-MMO city simulator. Your cities breathe and produce and work with (or against) other players and their cities. That can't happen if players can simply load a past save when something doesn't go their way. I personally like this feature and don't mind that my saves are located in a "cloud" instead of a physical disk (although the option for both would certainly be preferable). The lack of a save/load feature, however, is a direct result of the more fundamental design choice regarding online play, one that I find very implausible was forced upon Maxis by EA. Many of the game's design choices in general stem from the questionable decision to make SimCity an "online game," like Diablo III or even Guild Wars, which is decision made by Maxis. And if you insist that EA forced Maxis to make SimCity online only from the reboot's inception, then I find it very hard to believe Maxis couldn't get the as big a game as SimCity published under another company that didn't choose to force online play, if they were against the idea that is.

The final complaint and also my personal gripe is indeed the city size. They're simply too small. The ability to connect multiple cities, using them in tandem to create a mega city, does help mend this but there should be an option to extend city boundaries, or at least a game mode where the limit is removed. A recent interview with a lead game designer from Maxis states that they intend to increase the size limits "eventually."

Now, EA has been receiving the blame for this design choice since the beta, when it's quite clear to me Maxis should be receiving the brunt of it. I don't quite understand why anyone would even sneer in EA's direction on this one; am I to assume their unabashed greed somehow accounts for them not allowing Maxis to increase the city limits? I don't see how it earns them a profit; in fact it's done the opposite.

In the end, EA screwed up big time with the servers, but they've made evident and serious attempts to rectify their mistake (at least I feel that way). Meanwhile, Maxis has gotten out seeming guilt-less, when it seems they're liable for most of the complaints. True, the DRM needs to go, not only from EA but industry-wide (I'm looking at you Blizzard).

I'm judging the game for what it is in it's current playable state, a solid 7. Given time for updates and player mods, I'm sure this game will be incredible and the city limits will hopefully be expanded sooner rather than later.
  59. Mar 8, 2013
    First two days of release I spent 3 hours each night failing to login the appropriate servers for my region (NA East 1 and 2). Last night and this morning, I was pleasantly surprised with stable access and unhindered playability. Although certain details of the game have been removed, overall, the sandbox-like atmosphere of past generations is still there. Aside from an initial shock toFirst two days of release I spent 3 hours each night failing to login the appropriate servers for my region (NA East 1 and 2). Last night and this morning, I was pleasantly surprised with stable access and unhindered playability. Although certain details of the game have been removed, overall, the sandbox-like atmosphere of past generations is still there. Aside from an initial shock to just how unstable the Simcity/EA always on DRM can be, I will most likely continue to play this game. I knocked off 2 points for requiring an always on DRM for single player sandboxes, which clearly can and have ruined playability. There is nothing worse than an unintentional rollback of a city hosted on EA servers because of a crash from server side. The fear of a rollback to my work is in my head every second I play this game, but I will admit it wanes as the stability persists from this point forward. Finally, one other point was taken because the map sizes are too small. I would like to see a larger map size and single player always on DRM removed. Since the developers/staff have been working so hard to stabilize servers and bring additional server capacity online, I logically think that future patches will only strengthen this game and fix the concerns I have stated with map size and single player always on DRM. Expand
  60. Mar 9, 2013
    A few small issues, and nothing with the server. My main problem was that the game didn't update to show I'd done the 'Getting Started', so I couldn't start my own game. But after re-starting the game, and re-starting and quitting 'Getting Started', the game worked exactly as it was meant to. Personally, I found the city size limits a bit frustrating. That said, I love this game inA few small issues, and nothing with the server. My main problem was that the game didn't update to show I'd done the 'Getting Started', so I couldn't start my own game. But after re-starting the game, and re-starting and quitting 'Getting Started', the game worked exactly as it was meant to. Personally, I found the city size limits a bit frustrating. That said, I love this game in comparison to the older versions of SimCity!! Expand
  61. Mar 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best new thing in Sim City is: you can help your friends with means. And also the new buildings makes the game more beautiful than the other "Sim Cities".
    The worst thing in it is: you really needs to connect to the server to play, and now there are many "network disconnects".
  62. Apr 3, 2013
    Don't get me wrong the launch was rough with lots of server issues, but since then I've been playing non-stop. Between my daughter and I (mostly myself) we have put in 185 hours and I work full time.. The cities are smaller yes, and yes you need to be online. The fun comes from watching the city grow, watching the people go places, the multiplayer play interacting and chatting with peopleDon't get me wrong the launch was rough with lots of server issues, but since then I've been playing non-stop. Between my daughter and I (mostly myself) we have put in 185 hours and I work full time.. The cities are smaller yes, and yes you need to be online. The fun comes from watching the city grow, watching the people go places, the multiplayer play interacting and chatting with people as you play and work together, the trading is VERY fun (this cannot be overstated. They've added a new dimension to this game that makes it very fun to play and requires strategy.), the resources and specializations are all fun, and I could keep going on.. If you thing you shouldn't buy the game because of the score you'll be missing out big time.. All of the sim city games are great, but this one retains what made previous Sim City games fun and adds more. Expand
  63. Mar 7, 2013
    the review of the people are so subjective and there are so many trolls apart that we can put whatever you want. I say the best game of the century, omitting the crappy Origin
  64. Mar 8, 2013
    Ok, so I'm writing this to everyone who want to know if they should buy the game. This is my first review by the way. I saw how this game got bashed by users and after playing a couple of hours I decided some things had to be clarified to make justice to the team behind this game. First, this is a ***g a m e***. The ***g a m e*** is not really a sequel to previous SimCity to myOk, so I'm writing this to everyone who want to know if they should buy the game. This is my first review by the way. I saw how this game got bashed by users and after playing a couple of hours I decided some things had to be clarified to make justice to the team behind this game. First, this is a ***g a m e***. The ***g a m e*** is not really a sequel to previous SimCity to my point of view, I mean it breaks lots of classical rule the previous one established, its kind of a revolution in the series... not a evolution. That's why you see so many simfans lobbying here. But the game is really fun once you accept the fact that they used SimCity franchise to make something different. To my point of view, its less realistic visually than the previous game. But... the gameplay is incredible. You have to plan more, use more collaboration of other cities, and your cities is confront to organic like challenges... your cities is making huge profit based on coal industries? Don't sit on your back like previous SimCity, cause one day your cities mines will run out of coal... So as a mayer its your role to plan a head for the transition... Much more challenging than previous SimCity. You cant save your city Haha, even better you must think of your choice. Critics about the map size didn't realize they where playing another game than SimCity. Small size cities is really important for the balance of this game. You have to manage your ressources, large land would screw this charming mechanic, cause otherwise, even if the coal or ore is vanish from your city you wouldn't care cause you simply would have build everything. SimCity 5 looks a bit like RTS strategy game, except this is to build with others. The challenges of gathering all the ressources for a great work is also very nice. Compare to SimCity 5, SimCity 4 was like painting a city while the new one is planning it. Once you started playing with the specialisation, this game really hook you. I thanks the team behind the game for having the gots not to follow everyone opinion (which shows they don't just want your money) and make a nice piece of art with this game. But be aware if you buy the game early, the macroeconomics severs are being hammered hard, and they probably waited to the last minute before plopping enough server So yes, there is a lot of disconnect and waiting right now, and yes this is really annoying. Expand
  65. Mar 6, 2013
    This game is vibrant, beautiful and deep. I hate that people that are having slight server issues during launch are getting so upset. I just hope they don't give up and miss the greatest city builder available. I know y'all don't like the practices and I can appreciate that but I won't lie and say its a bad game. It's easily the best city builder I've played. It has flaws but I've alreadyThis game is vibrant, beautiful and deep. I hate that people that are having slight server issues during launch are getting so upset. I just hope they don't give up and miss the greatest city builder available. I know y'all don't like the practices and I can appreciate that but I won't lie and say its a bad game. It's easily the best city builder I've played. It has flaws but I've already put 6 hours into it and I plan on hundreds more. Thanks for your time. Expand
  66. Mar 10, 2013
    Please fix the damn servers. I'm unable to play this game. So many negative reviews. Oh EA, when will thou learn? Tons of problems in the game as well. Sigh!
  67. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is not bad! Sure, the always online DRM is awful and very annoying considering my internet clunks out every once in a while, and it doesn't save on to your computer, but other than that it is not bad. It is a very addicting game.
  68. Apr 4, 2013
    I were too kind to Simcity in the first place.. Theres still Huge Problems, Like Online RDM.. Seriously? The servers aren't atleast full anymore.. but also.. the Cities feel too "American" i mean of course most of the players are mostly american.. But, i mean.. School buses? Seriously?? But well, Forget that.. But what about the London, French and the german Expansion? Well.. They are someI were too kind to Simcity in the first place.. Theres still Huge Problems, Like Online RDM.. Seriously? The servers aren't atleast full anymore.. but also.. the Cities feel too "American" i mean of course most of the players are mostly american.. But, i mean.. School buses? Seriously?? But well, Forget that.. But what about the London, French and the german Expansion? Well.. They are some waste of money.. i didn't see anything change in the city! It feels like i wasted 100 NOK (norwegian Crowns) for the Packs! Why they do that?

Well i haven't given up the hope yet, hopefully they might do something to fix alot of the stuff' they have alleredy fixed the servers.. But theres still a chunk of Problems they have to fix:

1. More realistic Traffic.. i mean.. They only take the shortest way.. Seriously?
    2. Less Limit for the city to Grow.. I mean.. I can't even make wonders in the Normal Mode.. AT ALL..
    3. Why is there only hotels in Casinos? They shud had made Hotels outside of that.. I mean Only Hotels in Casinos? What were they thinking??
    4. I know theres some bugs with people going into wrong houses.. But i don't really mind about that..
    5. Horrible to search for a game with an Empety place.. I mean.. You can't SEARCH?? YOU CAN'T?? They should had fixed that..

Now, i will try to update this review if theres stuff they fix.. But the game won't probaly go up in ratings so much.. Cos of the fact that the game had a horrible release.. but they have got people more Happier now.. cos before there were 1.6 in user score.. now there is 1.9.. Now that isen't so horrible..
    And there were alot of things that were good at the game.. I mean the game is actuly fun in the beginning.. The Citizens make a nice view.. And you can see them talking.. theres some humor in it too.. But still The Building limit is the WORST monster.. I mean.. With that, you will just rage to the end.. Please Remove some of the limits atleast..
  69. Mar 11, 2013
    Unlike a lot of gamers here at metacritic i find SimCity an amazing game and definitely worth buying. The first days a lot of problems occured with the DRM and servers where out non-stop, but since this monday i found no problems with connecting anymore. SimCity is a well made game with incredible gameplay and amazing artwork that truly immerges the player in making it's own little worldUnlike a lot of gamers here at metacritic i find SimCity an amazing game and definitely worth buying. The first days a lot of problems occured with the DRM and servers where out non-stop, but since this monday i found no problems with connecting anymore. SimCity is a well made game with incredible gameplay and amazing artwork that truly immerges the player in making it's own little world together with friends. To start the game low skill is required but as the player continues the game will grow harder and more challenging for the player!
    Amazing Game and definitely worth your money!
  70. Mar 14, 2013
    I definitely overall agree that the online-only DRM management for this game is superbly silly. But I really feel for the developers and engineers behind this project that made it come alive. I bet you they have been pouring their soul into this project for years BUT the head producers and directors and managers all made this absurd blueprint on trying to put a fight on piracy when inI definitely overall agree that the online-only DRM management for this game is superbly silly. But I really feel for the developers and engineers behind this project that made it come alive. I bet you they have been pouring their soul into this project for years BUT the head producers and directors and managers all made this absurd blueprint on trying to put a fight on piracy when in fact, I bet you there's less than a 8-13% population out there that REALLY know how to install a cracked game. If I was creating a great game and only 8-13% of them are hacking it because they figured out how to, by all means I would not mind. It's the head of EA that took in the developers of Maxis and corporate-ized them into a DLC and DRM machine. I support the game because of the engineers and the engine.. but I DO NOT respect the politics on how this game was born and how its maintained for audiences. Expand
  71. Mar 8, 2013
    For me this game has had very little problems, disregarding the launch server issues. The game-play for me overall was and still is great. I love the amount of detail and the actual simulation going on. This game is not by any means casualized. I would very strongly recommend giving this game its chance and would even go as far as saying that its better than SC4.
    P.S. In my eyes SimCity
    P.S. In my eyes SimCity has never been an on-the-go game, it was always a desktop game which is what this one it *to me.* So the fact of always online, DRM, blah blah blah doesn't effect me that much.
  72. Mar 9, 2013
    This game only has such a low rating because of the DRM (which really isn't that big a deal) and the shaky (to say the least) launch. If people just cooled their loads and actually rated the game on how the game was instead of how bad the companies that make them are then the score would be much higher. Bottom line is that this is a great game. If you played and liked SimCity 4 then youThis game only has such a low rating because of the DRM (which really isn't that big a deal) and the shaky (to say the least) launch. If people just cooled their loads and actually rated the game on how the game was instead of how bad the companies that make them are then the score would be much higher. Bottom line is that this is a great game. If you played and liked SimCity 4 then you will love this game. Expand
  73. Mar 10, 2013
    Although the launch was a disaster, I can't help but love the game. It is fun, engrossing, and complex. I have not been able to play as much as I'd like to because of the server trouble, but every time I do get in I find myself having a great time. And the music is absolutely some of the best I've heard in a soundtrack in ages. The smaller cities are a little bit of a bummer, but theAlthough the launch was a disaster, I can't help but love the game. It is fun, engrossing, and complex. I have not been able to play as much as I'd like to because of the server trouble, but every time I do get in I find myself having a great time. And the music is absolutely some of the best I've heard in a soundtrack in ages. The smaller cities are a little bit of a bummer, but the fact that your cities link together makes up for it a bit. Expand
  74. Mar 11, 2013
    I frankly don't agree with all the derision out there; although, yes, it is annoying when the servers don't allow you to play clearly needs to be worked out. However I have been able to play enough times to know that the game is actually pretty bad-ass once you get into it. More fun than previous in the franchise. So I'm giving an 8 on the presumption that when Maxis works out theirI frankly don't agree with all the derision out there; although, yes, it is annoying when the servers don't allow you to play clearly needs to be worked out. However I have been able to play enough times to know that the game is actually pretty bad-ass once you get into it. More fun than previous in the franchise. So I'm giving an 8 on the presumption that when Maxis works out their server situation (and hires new IT guys I assume, ahem) that this game will be solid. Zero problem with the design of being online with others in your region that's cool imo. Seriously.. how often is your computer NOT on the internet these days? The off-line argument is old imo. Expand
  75. Mar 11, 2013
    Buen juego. En su lanzamiento tuvo problemas con los servidores nada misterioso que no se pudiera resolver en pocos dias, Diablo III tuvo un comienzo mas caotico. El multiplayer esta bien, pero siguen faltando muchas opciones en la interfaz de unirse a una partida, extrañamos un filtro para conseguir partidas de forma rapida y con algunas caracteristicas, da la impresion que la conexionBuen juego. En su lanzamiento tuvo problemas con los servidores nada misterioso que no se pudiera resolver en pocos dias, Diablo III tuvo un comienzo mas caotico. El multiplayer esta bien, pero siguen faltando muchas opciones en la interfaz de unirse a una partida, extrañamos un filtro para conseguir partidas de forma rapida y con algunas caracteristicas, da la impresion que la conexion multiplayer fue tomado a la ligera, pero seguramente sera resuelto. El juego es muy intuitivo, y facil de jugar, buenos graficos y mucha dinamica, el terreno es muy pequeño pero de alguna forma cumple con las espectativas. Muchas carateristicas de versiones anteriores fueron simplificadas, pienso que como todo lo comercial para darle cabida a un publico mayor.

En fin, antes de jugarlo pensaba en que iba a ser un 10 seguro, pero finalmente soy generoso con un 8, y no lo hice por los problemas de servidor como muchos calificaron con un 1 por aqui, se que es un problema que sera resuelto, me baso en las caracteristicas del juego, asi que un arrastrado 8 es mas que suficiente
  76. Mar 6, 2013
    The game is always online. That may be an issue for some. But the notion that this breaks the game is a fallacy. It is well known by anyone purchasing the game that it is online only. Even for those that do not know and buy the game, chances are it will be played on a computer at home, and therefore, will perform without a problem. There have been a few minor issues, such as a city of mineThe game is always online. That may be an issue for some. But the notion that this breaks the game is a fallacy. It is well known by anyone purchasing the game that it is online only. Even for those that do not know and buy the game, chances are it will be played on a computer at home, and therefore, will perform without a problem. There have been a few minor issues, such as a city of mine disappearing when i first started. But the servers have been improving and when you get a chance to sit down and play this game for hours, you will be far from disappointed. This is one of the best purchases I've made in a while because this game screams longevity. It's simple yet incredibly complex. The second your city starts getting larger, hits the fan, and the game gets complicated. Don't listen to the people writing these 2's and 1's. Don't buy the game at launch if you're worried about server problems. We know this is an inherit issue at launch for most online games, so be prepared. If you enjoy city building, and have the patience to wait a few weeks to let them sort their issues out, you will not be disappointed. Personally, I have ran into almost no issues. There has been no lag, and that disappearing city is the only issue I've had. There are problems with the servers, but not all are affected. Keep that in mind.

SCORE: I would give this an 8/10, but am giving it a 10 due to the incompetent people writing such negative reviews.
  77. Mar 7, 2013
    The Sim itself is amazing.
    I am not a fan of the DRM, though I understand where they are coming from.

My major dislike is the size of the "towns" I used to love building big sprawling metropolises. I can understand that why the size is small due to the level at which they are simming.
  78. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Perfect game, if EA can fix the server it would be 10/10. The mode of game is creative but it needs better servers. It is kinda unfriendly to single player who just wants to play himself. Expand
  79. Mar 9, 2013
    Got this game after reading the early praise and then much of the anger after the technical issues. Perhaps as I work in application development I have a bit more patience, and I have no wrath towards the EA team. I know they are going to iron out the technical issues and once they do, what's there is actually pretty cool. I have not encountered any issues as yet. So I can only speak toGot this game after reading the early praise and then much of the anger after the technical issues. Perhaps as I work in application development I have a bit more patience, and I have no wrath towards the EA team. I know they are going to iron out the technical issues and once they do, what's there is actually pretty cool. I have not encountered any issues as yet. So I can only speak to the game experience. What we have here is a great simulation engine, it's like having a digital ant-farm that you cultivate and create again. It is an MMO of sorts and for a myriad of reasons, EA and Maxis have forced a multiplayer experience. I can see why many customers are asking for an offline, large scale sandbox equivalent that is after all what SimCity has always been. I would like this too, but that is not what I bought the game for.

The game feels a bit more alive knowing that there are other cities growing beside you. The interaction is limited and just enough that you can play in your sandbox without someone coming over and destroying your creation.

As a game, it's fairly easy to set up a functional town. Specializing and leveling up is more of a fun chore. Its enjoyable to watch the impressive details. The first time I saw criminals and police have a gun fight with funky music thrown in I knew the devs had more details in store. Also, the game has an addictive and casual nature to it. I've been so immersed in first-person shooters (Red Orchestra 2, Counter Strike Global Offensive, BF3) that I thought this would be a nice break more relaxing and less demanding. It's perfect in that regard.

Expect to EA monetize it to bits. Which will be okay providing they provide quality content. Buy this game if the premise, detail, lively town-sized maps, persistent online regions, always on connection has appeal or if you can live with some of the DRM downsides. Do not buy this game if you want massive SimCity sprawls, reliable offline play, terraforming, and user mods. Oh and performance is solid too, most computer should run this well providing they have dedicated graphics card.

For those that have shelled out your dough, had a rotten first week, give this a chance. If they get it running consustently (which by latest accounts is where it looks like thus isheading), compensate for the week of lost gaming, and continue to update and tweak then its worth reconsideration.
  80. Mar 11, 2013
    Played the game all weekend with no server problems from launch in the UK. I have no problem with being constantly connected and can't see the issue with DRM.
    Very addictive game, only game where me, my wife, my teenage son, and my 11 year old daughter are fighting for the computer.
    I have played all the Simcity games and for me this is the only one that comes close to the original. I am not too sure about the long term appeal of the game but I am looking forward to the next few months of playing
  81. Mar 7, 2013
    Very good game in overall. I enjoy it. Graphics are excellents, Game play need some tweak. Essentially server broke only one time for me and DRM is not a big deal at all. Overreaction of fan for the base score.
  82. Mar 10, 2013
    Since I started playing the game on launch day at 3pm (UK) I had one game drop out and I was and hour into my game...... I just loaded it back up and I was back on my merry way no big deals......I've not created a public game yet but am looking forward to it I must say, I'm just enjoying creating my own region for the time being, just create a private game from a choice of many greatSince I started playing the game on launch day at 3pm (UK) I had one game drop out and I was and hour into my game...... I just loaded it back up and I was back on my merry way no big deals......I've not created a public game yet but am looking forward to it I must say, I'm just enjoying creating my own region for the time being, just create a private game from a choice of many great regions/maps some that I must add are huge! I'm on a map that has 7 build zones and I've only partly built on 2 after a few hrs of taking my time building.... I've got them exporting goods with each other and commuting I am enjoying the whole experience....... I understand people's frustration with the servers but you can't review a game on that basis surly? There's a lot of haters out there at the moment regarding this and other topics, seems like there's a big EA hate campaign going on. Overall I reckon Maxis has created a great Sim City keep up the good work, and I look forward to spending many hrs on this game in the future. Expand
  83. Mar 15, 2013
    Crazy reviews on here, so many 0's... Common, chill out!

I was discussing this with my housemate last night and I think that this game is done so well that it is getting negative reviews! Let me explain... It has a brilliant UI, everything is simple to understand and it is so accurate that we almost want it to do everything! Cities in real life are so complex and this game really is
    Crazy reviews on here, so many 0's... Common, chill out!

It has a brilliant UI, everything is simple to understand and it is so accurate that we almost want it to do everything! Cities in real life are so complex and this game really is pretty accurate, its amazing to watch. Because there are no subways, terraforming etc we get angry, why are they not there?! But so much is there!

Anyway DRM, people chill out who cares honestly, I waited 4 days after release to play and it all works fine except Leaderboards. I will mark down 1 point for DRM. Also because I can't play it offline on the move, I don't want to but I could see some people would want to. Seeing people give this game 0 because of DRM is idiotic.

I mark down another point for the map sizes, this is my main gripe about the game. I want to 'design' my city but I feel like you can't. You can at first but demand makes you need to create packed in dense cities that all end up looking the same. You have the tools to be able to, like different class ranges but the city is far too small to do that. Plus specialist cities? No, I want option of all in one like LA, which has everything.

3rd mark down is for little things missing like subway, little bugs, I don't like the big works idea, I just want a full airport 'in' my city, no bridges when you want them etc...

Can or will all this stuff be fixed with a patch? I think it could be, but will it? Probably not. If the sims is anything to go by, there will be many expansions to this game.

84. Mar 10, 2013
    The game is great, my fave SimCity game so far and I'm liking it's focus on multiple city and online play, it's really a good direction to go down. It would have been nice to have the option to play with a single big city in the sandbox mode in offline, however that could come later, it's better they focus on doing one thing really well, than spreading out too early. I think the generalThe game is great, my fave SimCity game so far and I'm liking it's focus on multiple city and online play, it's really a good direction to go down. It would have been nice to have the option to play with a single big city in the sandbox mode in offline, however that could come later, it's better they focus on doing one thing really well, than spreading out too early. I think the general hate to this style of play and the city size comes from people who just see it and haven't actually played it. I think the direction has made each city more personal and look less generic than the cities of old which were really copied and pasted and you felt so far removed from the people in the city.

There are a few issues I have with building placement, I wish there was an indication on the floor before it snaps, I wish you could rotate and I wish you didn't need a road for every building, the airport is really annoying to place. It also makes it annoying because you want to place parks and things away from the roads, however you cannot, so you end up having to make so many pointless roads. I also wish'd you could undo changes like you can in photoshop. So many times have I upgraded and hit the wrong one and not been able to change it.

There are a few problems with the gameplay here and there, however what game doesn't have small issues? I just hope they listen to people and patch the issues rather than putting them in as DLC or something weird like EA is prone to do. One DLC feature I would like however is to be able to build buildings like you can in the Sims, however then save them and use them like prefabs, it would make our cities look even more unique. I don't get why people are moaning so much about the 3/4 days of unstable servers. This game is always online, they haven't kept it secret and we all knew it would be like this for a few days until they judge the amount of servers they need. People are acting like such pathetic kids and the worst thing about it is I bet all the people complaining knew it would happen and yet still bought it day one and still are complaining. I bet most people in fact never even bought the game but are moaning. Like get over it people, this happens with every online game of it's nature and even COD got it wrong once and had poor servers at launch. Just wait until they get it under control and then buy it.........

Amazing game, I've been playing it pretty much non stop since the UK launch on Friday (Sunday now) and I'm having such a blast. I'm loving the online play as well, it's so much fun with friends. I just hope they add filters in if you want to play a public game as it's hard to find empty slots in them. I wouldn't listen to the whiners though, they're just being pathetic, just give it a week and then go and purchase it.
  85. Mar 11, 2013
    Have not had a single problem with the game. Brilliantly addictive can lose 6 hours without even realizing! Not a fault with the game play. This is a massive step up for SimCity games!
  86. Mar 12, 2013
    There used to be a time when I was able to play games without a computer. Now EA have totally messed everything up because I need a computer to play SimCity. And computers crash, sometimes you have to spend ££s just to get them fixed and they're out of action for days! Risk has never crashed on me. That's basically the DRM issue but from a 1990 point of view. Otherwise I'm a UK player andThere used to be a time when I was able to play games without a computer. Now EA have totally messed everything up because I need a computer to play SimCity. And computers crash, sometimes you have to spend ££s just to get them fixed and they're out of action for days! Risk has never crashed on me. That's basically the DRM issue but from a 1990 point of view. Otherwise I'm a UK player and have only had to wait 20 minutes for servers to be working. And I've played well over 30 hours. So no real launch issues as far as I'm aware.
    As for the game it is ludicrously addictive! Everything you already know from the SimCity world, but tweaked in new ways. The smaller city size is limiting in some ways but it adds a new level of addiction an playability because those individual Cities can share resources which means you now no longer begin a new city and just go through the motions now you have an objective to your new city. Maybe you need to outsource sewage or rubbish to another city, or maybe you need a University. Because of the limits in the map size it means you cannot place everything in one City which means you have to be more tactical about your placements. Oh and word of advice don't place a University on a City, leave it a few hours and then delete it Industrial get right uppity about it and complain about unskilled workers!
    I really do like this game a lot. Too much, I couldn't stop playing it.
    Once you get passed the initial city building stages and you are getting better residents in, the balancing act of money and resources is quite a difficult one requiring a fair amount of attention. And before you know it 18 hours have gone in the real world.
    I'm a big fan of the Tropico series (Though what the difference between 3 and 4 was....I have no idea) and so far I think SimCity is going to trump Tropico in terms of longevity and charm. Because it is really rather charming in most respects. But don't listen to me and don't listen to any of the DRM nay-sayers either, because they're not reviewing the game! Go and have a play yourself, and come back to me when you've totally ruined your entire Real World life because you can't stop being Mayor!
  87. Mar 7, 2013
    A wonderful creative game where you can harness the full potential of your imagination and put it to action. Unfortunately, the server issues tends to be a problem. There are times where people tend to mess around with their city, which greatly affect your own city. DRM can also be an issue, if you want to play SimCity in a place where there's no internet. The game though is good fun and IA wonderful creative game where you can harness the full potential of your imagination and put it to action. Unfortunately, the server issues tends to be a problem. There are times where people tend to mess around with their city, which greatly affect your own city. DRM can also be an issue, if you want to play SimCity in a place where there's no internet. The game though is good fun and I recommend it to everyone. -the-epikninja Expand
  88. Mar 10, 2013
    I can't understand why people are giving this game so much hate, just because of the DRM! Sure, it's annoying as heck, but the game itself is brilliant, in fact: it's a masterpiece!

EA is fixing the servers, the game is being fixed guys! Stop the hate, the game is awesome!
  89. Mar 10, 2013
    Most games that have required online connectivity have issues for a short period of time when they are first released, WoW had it Diablo had it Final Fantasy XI and XIV had and so on, no a real reason for a bad review. Online DRM not relaviant enough anymore to give a bad review, just because you have to buy the game to play. Multiplayer is an option not a requirement as you can makeMost games that have required online connectivity have issues for a short period of time when they are first released, WoW had it Diablo had it Final Fantasy XI and XIV had and so on, no a real reason for a bad review. Online DRM not relaviant enough anymore to give a bad review, just because you have to buy the game to play. Multiplayer is an option not a requirement as you can make mulitpule of your own cities in a region and work together with them. I personally enjoy the game play and the multitasking required to play it correctly. Once people get over there own grudges toward online requirements the game is fantastic. Expand
  90. Mar 10, 2013
    Yes there were problems in the beginning, however people are all to quick to come to conclusions. What people fail to realize is the Maxis was not requiring all-the-time connectivity to be greedy, but rather to allow full fruition of the visions they had for the game's experience. They imbedded this new idea into the game to allow for brilliant simulations of cities, simulations of whichYes there were problems in the beginning, however people are all to quick to come to conclusions. What people fail to realize is the Maxis was not requiring all-the-time connectivity to be greedy, but rather to allow full fruition of the visions they had for the game's experience. They imbedded this new idea into the game to allow for brilliant simulations of cities, simulations of which many older computers of which the game is supporting would cause the game to be horribly slow if not for offsite calculations. Yes this idea didn't work out in the start, and yes the other motives behind the ideal were less than benevolent, however once again I must point out that Maxis has apologize and is trying there best to make amends. Honestly in my view the true problem isn't the company(at this point they are near to resolving the issue and getting back to near 100% uptime), but rather the players. It honestly sickens me to see how critical and cynical gamers have become about the industry. Game companies as of late have been trying to bring about a revolution to a industry that is in need of one. "We paid for the games, we have every right to play it right away!" Oh boo hoo, you can't play the game, so lets instead go and be little children throwing tamper tantrums and downrating the game on every review site we can find. Let me ask you, if any of you read this far, when Amazon ships you a defective product do you refuse to use Amazon anymore and downrate it, or Apple's new iPhone comes out and the site is down due to traffic do you go about to every site and downrate the phone, or when any MMO takes a server down for maintenance downrate it, or... well it's easy enough to make a list that'll make anyone scoring the game with a zero due to server issues seem like children. In the end Maxis has been putting countless hour and dollars into fixing their problems and have been apologizing many times over, they have done their part, now due yours. Stop being impatient, wait a day, then play the actual game and rate the game, not the servers. If not just remember the more you act like children and constantly go around berating every game company that makes a game with a few issues, the less these companies want to take risks. The less risks the less of the games we've come to love. Eventually the wondrous and full featured games like this and others will be gone. Only to be replaced by freemium model casual games, of which are extremely cheep to develop and make profits similar if not greater to full-fledge games such as this. Because of this I feel the need to reiterate a point, stop being children, wait until the game can be played to rate the game. Expand
  91. Mar 11, 2013
    One week after launch, I have no issues getting online. It's sad that people review this game without playing it, but there you go.

Gone are the minutiae of power lines and water power, and good riddance I say. You now get a loving city with every person and business an AI agent. Cities are smaller, but this forces a more realistic specialization. Make a region private if you don't want multiplayer. Fantastic iteration of the game in a bold new direction, though some hardcore fans may be upset by the changes.
  92. Mar 11, 2013
    Despite the clear lack of foresight with regards to the massive server overload when this game was first released, I really enjoy this game! It builds upon the traditional city building games that we all know and love. They really have out done themselves to create a game where you can govern a city, interact with other cities to create trade deals and still remain connected with theDespite the clear lack of foresight with regards to the massive server overload when this game was first released, I really enjoy this game! It builds upon the traditional city building games that we all know and love. They really have out done themselves to create a game where you can govern a city, interact with other cities to create trade deals and still remain connected with the people of the city. I really enjoyed the fact that you can create one player games as well as the interactive multiplayer games. The game also includes a brief run through of new (and old) controls and goals. People who played pervious Sim City games will no doubt winge and complain, however I found them incredibly helpful. The only major downfall of this game is the lack of and offline mode. Many people have complained about this as well as the server overload. What I dont understand about this is that with similar problems occuring with other online games (such as diablo) why did they not learn from those failures? Expand
  93. Mar 10, 2013
    great game, have had almost no trouble getting on playing. Carries the SimCity name very well.Negative reviews are just kids about EA ignore them
  94. Mar 9, 2013
    SimCity is a great game. Sure, the server issues is bringing it down but the game it self is great! I think that all you haters haven't considered the fact that it's the servers that is the problem, not the game. Constant online and DRM sucks, though with some benefits. I agree that they should have added an offline mode for those with bad internet connection or non social skills (sorry).SimCity is a great game. Sure, the server issues is bringing it down but the game it self is great! I think that all you haters haven't considered the fact that it's the servers that is the problem, not the game. Constant online and DRM sucks, though with some benefits. I agree that they should have added an offline mode for those with bad internet connection or non social skills (sorry). But overall, this is a must buy for all SimCity fans and for those who want a fantastic city-building simulator! Expand
  95. Mar 9, 2013
    One of the best games in 2013. It is suitable for those who have just started playing genre urban simulator. I recommend to all fans of The Sims and Spore to buy this game.
  96. Mar 10, 2013
    Really do love this game. Played 4 hours straight and didn't have a problem with the servers. It's not perfect, but it's better tan ever. Making connections between cities is a nice feature. I understand the DRM, even though it's not working properly, but even EA needs to protect their product just as anybody. I feel as this game gets bad reviews just from EA haters and DRM cryReally do love this game. Played 4 hours straight and didn't have a problem with the servers. It's not perfect, but it's better tan ever. Making connections between cities is a nice feature. I understand the DRM, even though it's not working properly, but even EA needs to protect their product just as anybody. I feel as this game gets bad reviews just from EA haters and DRM cry babies. But once more servers get implemented and possible single player, then we will see a larger population of players. Expand
  97. Mar 13, 2013
    OK so the game wasn't available for a couple of days and yes it has always on DRM (yawn) but do not be deceived, this is a spectacular offering from Maxis. Gameplay tweaked to within an inch of it's life, graphics stunning, plenty of that famous Maxis humour what else could you ask for. £50 is a steal for a game of this quality especially when you look at some of the so called AAA tripeOK so the game wasn't available for a couple of days and yes it has always on DRM (yawn) but do not be deceived, this is a spectacular offering from Maxis. Gameplay tweaked to within an inch of it's life, graphics stunning, plenty of that famous Maxis humour what else could you ask for. £50 is a steal for a game of this quality especially when you look at some of the so called AAA tripe that is wheeled out (that's right SH3 I'm looking at you in particular) 1 small gripe, the maps are too small but when you get used to the new region concept it doesn't seem quite as bad. All in all if you like SimCity this is a must don't let the false score due to DRM gripes put you off. Expand
  98. Mar 6, 2013
    Okay, yes, there are a of problems with this game. But honestly, the added features are great. The security features (always online DRM) was a horrible addition yes, and the maps are a bit too small, but it really is fun. If you are new to the SimCity series I recommend this one then go onto something like SimCity 4 with a much bigger map and that is slightly harder to play.
  99. Mar 6, 2013
    The game itself is actually pretty great. The server issues, while frustrating, aren't too bothersome if you have more patience than a two year old child. I'm sure everything will be smoothed out within a week or two. The unable to save for a lot of users (including myself) is the most annoying 'error' I've encountered so far. If you're thinking of buying the game, maybe give it a fewThe game itself is actually pretty great. The server issues, while frustrating, aren't too bothersome if you have more patience than a two year old child. I'm sure everything will be smoothed out within a week or two. The unable to save for a lot of users (including myself) is the most annoying 'error' I've encountered so far. If you're thinking of buying the game, maybe give it a few weeks until EA/Origin and fix connection/server problems. Expand
  100. Mar 11, 2013
    I think this is a great game I got the game Saturday and I played all weekend. The game is addictive and smart and I would suggest It to any one that likes to have fun. Everyone who is hating obviously is not in a good place in there life. Get the game... the only negative I have about it is that I cant play it 24/7

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]