2.2

1. Mar 7, 2013
    The game has a lot of problems. Only one of them actually matters. Never support always online DRM for a single player game. Lots of people cannot play their single player game because of this and gamers need to do everything they can to stop developers from including it.
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    This game gets a 0 cause you can't even play it. I can log in time after time and the server is always down or when it's up I can't create a game. When trying to switch servers the game crashes. Had this game since 3/5 and have been able to play for 5 minutes. I will not be buying another PC game from EA. This completely ridiculous! I want my money back cause I have paid for aThis game gets a 0 cause you can't even play it. I can log in time after time and the server is always down or when it's up I can't create a game. When trying to switch servers the game crashes. Had this game since 3/5 and have been able to play for 5 minutes. I will not be buying another PC game from EA. This completely ridiculous! I want my money back cause I have paid for a product I cannot use. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought this game. I would like to play it please. Is that too much to ask? I don't mind DRM when it doesn't break the game but this is taking it way too far.
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    Online only DRM is absolute garbage. I will never, ever pay for a single-player game that requires me to be online again. Why should I have to be connected to EA to play MY game. Bad form EA.
  5. Mar 7, 2013
    Do not buy this game. One most popular games became a total with merciless online DRM. You can't do anything without server connection but YOU CAN"T HOP ON the server within hours.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    The rating of a game is tied to the actual playability and enjoyability of the game, not the theoretical potential of the game. Sim City LE is unplayable, constant server issues and multi-hour wait queues to connect. I'm rating this game a 0 because if I cannot play it, it has 0 value to me as entertainment.

To those who say "separate the game from the server issues and rate the game"

To those who say "separate the game from the server issues and rate the game" I say to you "I rate a movie on how much we enjoy it when we watch it. I rate a book on how it reads when I read it. I rate games on how much we enjoy it when we play it. When i sit down and click to play Sim City, I have an hour of frustration and anger and then give up and wish I'd never given EA my money again. So the rating is fair based on the experience of owning and trying to play the game,
  7. Mar 8, 2013
    Incredibly sad release. I was permitted to download my $60 purchase 3 hours after release. Then, I was not able to play my game for about 2 days because of "server issues." Keep in mind, this is SimCity, a single player game. If you have any Internet issues whatsoever, you will lose all your progress. The game must always be hooked up to EA. Worst. Idea. Ever. If you do have 99.8%+Incredibly sad release. I was permitted to download my $60 purchase 3 hours after release. Then, I was not able to play my game for about 2 days because of "server issues." Keep in mind, this is SimCity, a single player game. If you have any Internet issues whatsoever, you will lose all your progress. The game must always be hooked up to EA. Worst. Idea. Ever. If you do have 99.8%+ Internet connection quality, you will still lose everything because the EA servers will become "overloaded" and shut down. That's where you are forced to save everything. You might be lucky to connect to a different server, but you must REDO EVERYTHING because data does not synchronize between servers. That includes the tutorial. Like starting a brand new game. God awful launch and DRM and design. Epic fail for EA and Maxis. I heard SimCity had new disasters. Pretty much everything about it. Expand
  8. Mar 9, 2013
    Absolutely devastated the new Sim City, which looked so good, is lumbered with always online DRM. Even if they claim the servers are fixed, I am in a constant state of wondering if it will cut out again. Not an enjoyable experience. Will return to EB and get something else.
  9. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The farthest I could get was the tutorial loading screen, something smart and funny about "herding llamas", I think. But EA made something even smarter, they herded us and our wallets. Spoiler alert "THIS JUST SUCKS!" Expand
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT I am WAS a fan of the game from the early days on mac. The server failed and lost all my progress! All the work I did was gone and not recoverable. I was forced to play online and then they can't even provide a secure platform.
  11. Mar 9, 2013
    Great game! Due to multiple circumstances, I am unable to acquire a stopwatch in my area. I am very grateful, however, that Sim-City is here to fulfil my timing needs. I do enjoy watching the half-hour server-queue timer tick down, it also supplies me with a great watch. Sometimes I let my friend come over and play a game of 'Will the game successfully connect to a server once the timerGreat game! Due to multiple circumstances, I am unable to acquire a stopwatch in my area. I am very grateful, however, that Sim-City is here to fulfil my timing needs. I do enjoy watching the half-hour server-queue timer tick down, it also supplies me with a great watch. Sometimes I let my friend come over and play a game of 'Will the game successfully connect to a server once the timer has depleted?', we've never won so far.
    A fine work of art I highly recommend this game to anybody who likes to hit themselves over the head with a brick.
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    Terrible game. You'd be better off playing a free game on Facebook as the depth is comparable. With technology improving you'd expect larger maps and more detail in games. SimCity 2000 is still the best in series but could do with a graphics overhaul and then we'd have a better game than this goldfish bowl. I cancelled an EA subscription game due to the publisher harming consumers andTerrible game. You'd be better off playing a free game on Facebook as the depth is comparable. With technology improving you'd expect larger maps and more detail in games. SimCity 2000 is still the best in series but could do with a graphics overhaul and then we'd have a better game than this goldfish bowl. I cancelled an EA subscription game due to the publisher harming consumers and now this just confirms it was the right decision. I regularly travel on long train journeys and always online games harm my free choice as a consumer. I simply cannot afford the mobile connection data and it is not reliable enough even if I could. I can't believe the prices being charged at launch for this title... £65 for a couple of themes? I remember when these additions were added value/quality. BOYCOTT EA! Expand
  13. Mar 11, 2013
    I specifically created a metacritic account to add my voice to the chorus of others here. The game is just flat out broken. When it does work, creativity is so incredibly limited by the small map size that you have no feeling or experience of designing a city the way you want it because you've got to cram everything in so you can place all of the necessary buildings ever growing fireI specifically created a metacritic account to add my voice to the chorus of others here. The game is just flat out broken. When it does work, creativity is so incredibly limited by the small map size that you have no feeling or experience of designing a city the way you want it because you've got to cram everything in so you can place all of the necessary buildings ever growing fire stations, police stations, water treatment plants, hospitals all cool buildings, but space is at such an incredible premium that its irritating not fun. The party line is that you should play with multiple cities in a region but this feature is completely broken and unusable. And even if it were usable, its not fun. At all. This game, and EA's jaw dropping refusal to refund consumers for shelling out $60 for a brick, is a disgrace. I know not everyone will hold to this promise, but I will this is the last EA game I buy. Expand
  14. Mar 11, 2013
    This game starts off looing full of potential but after a few hours its very similar style repetitive game play. Online features look fantastic but I wasn't looking for those features in this game. SimCity for me was always a single player game to be enjoyed once you have a few hours spare in the evening. Its very MMO orientated. Offline play please maxis, hope so very much that theThis game starts off looing full of potential but after a few hours its very similar style repetitive game play. Online features look fantastic but I wasn't looking for those features in this game. SimCity for me was always a single player game to be enjoyed once you have a few hours spare in the evening. Its very MMO orientated. Offline play please maxis, hope so very much that the upcoming C&C from EA will be better at launch! Expand
  15. Mar 11, 2013
    Server issues and always-on DRM aside the city zones are simply too small, presumably to enforce dependency on multi-player interactions. More like Sim-District than City
  16. Mar 12, 2013
    While not a "complete" waste of time, the latest version of SimCity is definitely not worth whatever Electronic Arts is asking for it. The "always-online" DRM requirement alone is a deal breaker. When you add to that the extremely limited city size and the severe reduction of the open-ended experience that characterised previous versions, I would not recommend the game even if it wereWhile not a "complete" waste of time, the latest version of SimCity is definitely not worth whatever Electronic Arts is asking for it. The "always-online" DRM requirement alone is a deal breaker. When you add to that the extremely limited city size and the severe reduction of the open-ended experience that characterised previous versions, I would not recommend the game even if it were free. It looks like Civitas (find it on Kickstarter) is going to represent the future of city simulations. Do not waste your time or money on the 2013 SimCity. Expand
  17. Mar 12, 2013
    Connection Issues
    -----------------
    No problems getting into the game at all although it does lose connection to the servers fairly regularly. While this doesn't prevent gameplay you are forced to keep the game running because if you quit the game before it reconnects the you will lose your progress since the last save. Having said that it did take two days before the 'buy' button on
    Connection Issues
    -----------------

Having said that it did take two days before the 'buy' button on the website worked without giving a 'server error'

Saved Games
    -----------
    I'm not aware of any indication of when it actualy saves the game. But it does often fail to do so meaning you have to redo your work again when you next login.

Map Size
    --------
    I agree map sizes are way to small. To the extent it limits creativity and in my experience pushes you to playing each map in the same way. I do wonder if the beta was limited to 1 hour to avoid people realising this.

Game speed
    -------------
    Currently the game is limited to a max speed of 24 minutes per game day. This is quite important as it happens. If you play the game like I prefer to, start slow and build my city then you will spend many many hours just waiting for your cash to increase enough for your next purchase.
    On the other hand you can take the other approach (the one I feel you are forced to take) spam the entire map with residential and commercial with just enough industry and ignore all but the vital services (ie water and power). Then sit back and wait until you have lots of cash, demolish your city and build it how you wanted it in the first place. Either way there is a lot of waiting around doing nothing.

Power and Water system
    ----------------------
    I actually like this aspect of the game, I didn't enjoy having to lay all the pipes and powerlines, too much micromanagement for me. The new system of using the roads for everything works very well for me.

Apart that is from what I assume are bugs. For example I had my city running along nicely I left the city and when I came back to it suddenly the game decided that I no longer had a massive excess of power but instead a massive deficit I had to plop 20 more windmills just to break even???

Bugs
    ----
    The game still contains a number of bugs, mostly minor but some are not, for example you may get locked out of a map due to 'processing' never to be able to play that map again. This of course could in turn screw up your entire region causing many many hours of gameplay to be simply wasted.

Multiplayer
    -----------
    Sure you can let someone play a map in you region but don't be fooled this is a single player game. The global market? This boils down to the price you pay when you buy resources. Is it really influenced by other players? I don't know but it really makes no difference. If you need to buy resources then you pay the price the game tells you. That's it.

Disasters
    ---------
    I've never been a fan of these. I don't see anyway of turning them off in a normal game. Why such a big deal? At 24 minutes per game day it took me about 1.5 hours to save for my school that's 1.5 hours of me doing nothing but let the game run. As soon as I plopped it down and earthquake hit and destroyed it. So I started the wait all over again. Guess what, another earth quake and destroyed again. I had a further three disasters in that session. I estimate about 7 hours gameplay of which about 6.5 hours was just letting the game run to save up money. Which is why you should just use the spam method to build up lots of cash at the start which makes a mockery of the economy in the first place.

Replayability
    ------------
    If I'm honest I was getting bored by the end of my first session but I stuck with it. Overall there is lot of frustration from losing work and even entire maps but the number one problem by far is the tiny map size which limits creativity and gameplay possibilities. I'm going to give the game a little more time but I do feel I've got pretty much all I'm going get from it a far cry from past sim city games which I would play for months if not years. Always Online
    --------------
    I didn't buy Diablo because of this but took a chance here. From what I understand things like map size and game speed and limited to reduce the load on their servers. The irony is that I bought myself an expensive laptop so I could play all the latest games but for this game I could have stuck with with my old crappy one.

My experience with this game has convinced me that I won't be buying any more games that require this, at least, not for a single player game.

Overall
    -------
    If you are on the fence then wait until the price comes down before you consider trying it it is WAY overpriced at the moment and certainly not as stable as it should be.

While it certainly a pretty game it is failing to hold my attention.
  18. Mar 12, 2013
    I'm not even going to bother reviewing this game as EA already have had an ear full of complaints which are all the same things. Why remove transport options, make the map size smaller, add always online DRM? As well as this, so many other bad features have been implemented, and i'm glad the release was a massive pile of steaming bulls*** because EA may now sort things out.
  19. Mar 12, 2013
    Worst simcity game ever. I dont care about DRM but this game feels INCOMPLATE, CLOSED BETA or browser game. I'm so regret my decision to buy this crap.
  20. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is a error! I dont understand why someone would buy an abomination like simcity when there is CITY XL as an alternative. I dont get why people persist in keep pay for sofhouses like EA who dont give a for his customer and continualy launches horrible games like this. I dont have buyed this game, cause I refuse to pay for a game with DRM, but other keep funding craps likeThis game is a error! I dont understand why someone would buy an abomination like simcity when there is CITY XL as an alternative. I dont get why people persist in keep pay for sofhouses like EA who dont give a for his customer and continualy launches horrible games like this. I dont have buyed this game, cause I refuse to pay for a game with DRM, but other keep funding craps like simcity!
    Why complain, you all deserve this
  21. Mar 13, 2013
    Compared to the depth of the former franchise, this is complete trash. But dont get me wrong, looks fabulous, random events frequent and less than properly animated. Online required to play? Must admit, i would give this a 3, then i see a 10 rating and nearly vomit all across my new desktop. Cant let that bowl of mindless sewage go unchallenged. Online required to play? Lets blow 100Compared to the depth of the former franchise, this is complete trash. But dont get me wrong, looks fabulous, random events frequent and less than properly animated. Online required to play? Must admit, i would give this a 3, then i see a 10 rating and nearly vomit all across my new desktop. Cant let that bowl of mindless sewage go unchallenged. Online required to play? Lets blow 100 bucks after dlc on a game that will only be around less than a year.
    *Opens original box to Sim City 2000* Yea, this still works and its at least 6 years old.

With the amount of DLC available on launch, this game should be free to play at the least.

How many game series can EA ruin before customers demand salvation? We wont find out...
    Because they will be lining there pockets while we rage behind there curtain of false advertisement.

(Second review, first was a bit sloppy)
  22. Mar 14, 2013
    Aside from the always on servers, and the emphasis on social activities over city management, Sim City has failed to provide an intelligent and long lasting simulation. There are obvious flaws that can be visibly noticed in the algorithms used, and many in-game features are unreliable and random.
  23. Mar 25, 2013
    Not taking into accounts the server issues at launch SimCity has a number of gameplay issues. Fans of the prior series might discover the entire base upon which the simulation is created suffers from design issues. Entire cities can be created without the need of anything but residential areas and the most basic of needs covered. While most of us wouldn't find enjoyment in merely plantingNot taking into accounts the server issues at launch SimCity has a number of gameplay issues. Fans of the prior series might discover the entire base upon which the simulation is created suffers from design issues. Entire cities can be created without the need of anything but residential areas and the most basic of needs covered. While most of us wouldn't find enjoyment in merely planting residences and let time go, this shows a game broken in the very core. The fact the simulation design allows people to move in, be happy and improve their houses in cities with no jobs and no shopping ripples throughout the game experience. The areas of which you can build your cities is pre-made and compared to earlier SimCitys the area is very limited in size. This is a part of the multiplayer aspect Maxis invisioned. The option for a multiplayer in a SimCity game is in this reader's eyes a great evolution, if not for a few things: The multiplayer part is not really an 'option'. To get the maximum efficiency from your city, it needs to co-operate with other cities. Sure enough you can build multiple cities yourself, but as each is paused when you leave it, there'll never be a feel of a real flow between the cities. Another issue is the interaction between the cities is unimaginary, limited in such ways you can't even decide how much, if or at which price you want to sell the goods you got in excess. It happens at a preset price as soon as someone clicks "buy" in regional view. This is if it even works through the seemingly limitless amounts of bugs with inter-city relations. Perhaps the worst part about the multiplayer 'option' is the way it was used as an excuse of forcing you to be constantly logged in to their game servers. Not only does this force you to be connected to the internet constantly, which most of us are anyways, but it forces us to rely on servers being available. 'A small server crash is not an issue, go do something else' you might say, and yes, I can do that now, but what happens in a number of year's time when SimCity isn't worth keeping around any more? If servers then get shut down, we're left with a product we can't even use any more. When through with all these issues and bugs you're left with a beautyful game and at times a good amount of humor. Who here wouldn't love to shop at "Lead Paint and Baby Oil" for instance? There seems to be a little Maxis soul left in there in the details, but overall the game feels rushed, the old fans forgotten and most of all give you the sense of being 'victim' to a quick moneygrab based on old feelings toward the brand. For experienced and long term SimCity players, the issues in the basic design will most likely come as a huge problem, same would most likely go for the restricted space offered. Personally I wouldn't advice anyone to buy the game till it's on sale at half off, the quality of the game is simply closer to a $30 game, if even that. The most frustrating thing is that I'm not only giving SimCity a low score, I am giving the future of the brand the same low score. Based on a broken design, a bugged game, visions that might've been good but where the execution failed and a raped brand, which only redeeming qualities are the humor and the beautyful graphics I'll give it a 4. Pozz... Expand
  24. Mar 6, 2013
    EA must have thought they would be able to get away with a high priced game, day 1 DLC, micro-transations, online save games, and the ability to completely disable the game when its no longer profitable to run the DRM servers because SimCity is a popular and well respected game franchise. Well EA have probably just destroyed it and not just because of the reasons already mentioned, butEA must have thought they would be able to get away with a high priced game, day 1 DLC, micro-transations, online save games, and the ability to completely disable the game when its no longer profitable to run the DRM servers because SimCity is a popular and well respected game franchise. Well EA have probably just destroyed it and not just because of the reasons already mentioned, but because the game is dumbed down and boring and the city sizes are tiny. They should have called this game DRMTown rather than SimCity. Expand
  25. Mar 13, 2013
    We were promised a great revival of the franchise. Instead we got a really casual boring game that should be rather called "sim-really-small-town". And yet it costs 80$ has a huuuuuuuuge set of bugs and has the worst kind of DRM ever. To all fans of SimCity3000 and SimCity4 I'd recommend buying CitiesXL and avoiding SimCity 5.
  26. Mar 11, 2013
    "Always-on DRM is a disease that we cannot allow ourselves to be so willingly infected by. It’s a curse on gaming. It’s diminishing our experiences, reducing the possibilities for our play, and creating a space where faulty games are accepted as complete. Always-on DRM is a broken game. They need to be fixed.""Always-on DRM is a disease that we cannot allow ourselves to be so willingly infected by. It’s a curse on gaming. It’s diminishing our experiences, reducing the possibilities for our play, and creating a space where faulty games are accepted as complete. Always-on DRM is a broken game. They need to be fixed."

27. Mar 13, 2013
    Never support forced online DRM. It makes me sick that EA thinks it can shove this always-on DRM into the game but why not it worked for Diablow. I can't believe anyone would support this behaviour, there should be 0 positive reviews on this page.
  28. Mar 11, 2013
    Oh ....always on DRM is for the players benefit? Well that changes everything then.....I had no idea that not being able to play a single player game due to failing server tech is all for MY benefit.

EA you have sunk to a new low......last game I ever buy from Electronic
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    I've played every Sim City released on PC and this is by far the worst, yet it has the potential to be the best. Besides the server issues happening at the time of this review, 122 hours after North American launch, the game is limited. The size of cities is so much smaller than previous versions, which is weird because with video games I am use to them improving over the course of aI've played every Sim City released on PC and this is by far the worst, yet it has the potential to be the best. Besides the server issues happening at the time of this review, 122 hours after North American launch, the game is limited. The size of cities is so much smaller than previous versions, which is weird because with video games I am use to them improving over the course of a series, not getting worse and removing features. Speaking of removed features, build a road at the edge of your map, nothing happens, in Sim City 4 it prompted if you wanted to connect this to the neighboring city, not allowed here. Heck you can't even connect a subway to anything, cuz they simply don't exist, that's right, the lifeblood of every major city in the world is completely removed for Sim City. Sadly my friends and I believe that this was not included so as to be added as paid DLC at a later date. Similarly the small city size and lack of terraforming, a huge part of previous versions, limits the ability to do anything creative, which is what this series is about, again my friends and I believe these may be changed via paid DLC, which would be a complete disservice to fans and a giant step back for games in general as they get better and improve on previous features of a series, not remove the popular features, like playing a single player without having to be connected to the internet at all times, and change the principals of the series to the point of making the game unplayable, literally. The worst part is that when I have been able to connect to their servers and join a friend's region they start to purchase some of my excess power and then inexplicably my power plant continues to feed my city uninterrupted, yet stops giving him anything, even though I have five times the excess power than he needs, blame this on the servers if you want, but we are playing on the same server at the same time and talking on skype, which brings me to another drawback, how do you not include something other than a basic text chat in a game that requires you to be online. If my friend is having a zombie outbreak and needs police assistance he's not going to stop everything, let the zombies continue to destroy his city, or rather town considering the size limitation, he is going to try to do his best, but if all he had to do was ask us for help using his voice we can send any and all spare resources to assist him, but you can't reasonably expect a $60 online game to include simple communication tools. While they may fix their server issues, EA's what to get back in our "good graces" and still "be friends" is offering me a free Origin game, funny thing is I can't play the one and only Origin game I care to play, so why would I want to use another one of your games? The absolute worst part about this game is how a series that has been played offline for almost 25 years, except for Sim City 2000 Network Edition (a little known spinoff) no requires EA servers, so if I want to play this game in 5, 8, 10 years, as is my case with older Sim City games, I probably won't be able to as EA loves to shut down servers as they release the next game in a series or 2 years in a game's life span, sadly most of those games are still playable in the single player mode, which this simply doesn't offer, at least not without a major patch, that will probably never be released. Which probably accurately describes the venom many people have for EA and Maxis right now, it too will never be released, at least until they change menu system of the game as too many of us are all too familiar with the plane that's stuck in mid-air while we hope to find a working server. I'd love to give this game a 0, but the few moments I have been able to play and not rebuild the last 3 hours of unsaved work the game has been one of the best experiences I've ever had, so for the potential of playing it I'll give it a lowly single solitary one, which is exactly the amount of players it takes to play this game. Expand
  30. Mar 11, 2013
    Look at the positive critic reviews. Remember the names of the organizations that gave those ridiculous scores. Remember them and never support them. Their reviews and very integrity are for sale. When users collectively rate a game 1.6 out of 10, and a professional critic rates it 100% perfect, it doesn't take a genious to figure out what is going on. I can only pray that this gameLook at the positive critic reviews. Remember the names of the organizations that gave those ridiculous scores. Remember them and never support them. Their reviews and very integrity are for sale. When users collectively rate a game 1.6 out of 10, and a professional critic rates it 100% perfect, it doesn't take a genious to figure out what is going on. I can only pray that this game is a huge enough financial flop to make EA finally get the message, but i doubt it. 10 years from now, people will still be playing all the old SImCity games, 1-4, but the servers for this latest installment will have been down for years, rendering it unplayable. Fortunately, nobody will want to play it anyways. This game made me want to dust off SinCity 4, and take it for a spin. Expand
  31. Mar 9, 2013
    It seems games companies refuse to learn from past mistakes. Or maybe they keep retrenching employees after every game release who would have known better. And so SimCity joins the long line of failures because of lack of developer/publisher planning and heavy handed DRM schemes. UbiSoft learned a hard lesson from forcing DRM on people. And now EA will learn that lesson as well. If I can'tIt seems games companies refuse to learn from past mistakes. Or maybe they keep retrenching employees after every game release who would have known better. And so SimCity joins the long line of failures because of lack of developer/publisher planning and heavy handed DRM schemes. UbiSoft learned a hard lesson from forcing DRM on people. And now EA will learn that lesson as well. If I can't play a game because I am locked out of a server or I can't interact meaningfully with other players in SimCity because features have been turned off at the last minute well what is the point of selling me that game EA.

Shame on you EA. Once again you continue to feed your own stereotype of one of the world's worst game publishers.
  32. Mar 13, 2013
    I'm not here to rage about DRM. Yeah it sucks, but what can you do? At this point, the servers are a little unreliable but I have played 106 hours and haven't had any major issues in about 3 days now. Most of these reviews bash the DRM and always online blah blah blah, but it's not just that. The AI is beyond horrible. You start getting up to 80k population (which is tiny) and things goI'm not here to rage about DRM. Yeah it sucks, but what can you do? At this point, the servers are a little unreliable but I have played 106 hours and haven't had any major issues in about 3 days now. Most of these reviews bash the DRM and always online blah blah blah, but it's not just that. The AI is beyond horrible. You start getting up to 80k population (which is tiny) and things go from bad to worse quickly. Sims stack up and fill the streets needlessly, buses from other regions all flood into the city back to back at the same time, your freight trucks (the backbone of profit) get stuck in this traffic and your city begins to burn to the ground. The traffic and AI is not just challenging, as I first thought it was, it's just broken. It completely ruins your sense of success in building a thriving city. Sure, you can get around it with exploits and bugs like only zoning residential with some parks, or dirt access roads for trade express lanes, but it just sucks that you can't just build a big badass city and have things work right the way they should. The game is fun for a while, or if you aren't really hardcore about it, but I can't recommend it to any of my friends that have previously played the franchise. It's bad news, pick it up in the bargain bin in 6 months. Maybe they will have fixed a couple things by then. Expand
  33. Mar 6, 2013
    Until I can play this game my score will remain a zero. I understand some people are able to sit around and keep trying until they get into the game. Between school and work I don't have the time to do that. It is frustrating that I can't play a game due to EA servers. To those complaining how people are in the wrong giving low scores based on this alone, I feel we have the right toUntil I can play this game my score will remain a zero. I understand some people are able to sit around and keep trying until they get into the game. Between school and work I don't have the time to do that. It is frustrating that I can't play a game due to EA servers. To those complaining how people are in the wrong giving low scores based on this alone, I feel we have the right to complain about something broken. To anyone looking at buying this game, do not at the current moment. Give it time till EA can prove their servers are in better shape, or even better when/if they add offline play. Expand
  34. Mar 6, 2013
    Half of the time I cannot even play the game. The always-on online DRM ruins games. This is terrible, and when I can play sometimes the game crashes.
  35. Mar 6, 2013
    I've actually gotten to play the game a little bit, and it's fun. The maps are too small, but I still probably would have given the game an 8. Unfortunately the game barely works, and in fact for the past 8 hours of the 2nd day after launch it hasn't worked AT ALL. Most people have vilified the required always on internet connection and DRM. I knew all about that going in, and so didI've actually gotten to play the game a little bit, and it's fun. The maps are too small, but I still probably would have given the game an 8. Unfortunately the game barely works, and in fact for the past 8 hours of the 2nd day after launch it hasn't worked AT ALL. Most people have vilified the required always on internet connection and DRM. I knew all about that going in, and so did everyone else who read about the game before it came out. I personally don't have a problem with the idea of those policies if the game works. It doesn't. I didn't pay 60 dollars to participate in a beta test, and neither should anyone else. This game is a zero and EA should be ashamed. Expand
  36. Mar 6, 2013
    I purchased this game and have been unable to play it once. I purchased the game using the Origin website. I was able to log onto the servers once, but then the game crashed after about 5-10 minutes of the tutorial. Now I am unable to start another game. Unable to get refund. I am calling my credit card company to prevent payment.
  37. Mar 6, 2013
    What is there to say about this game that hasn't been said? Nothing.
    What is there to say about this game that hasn't been said? Nothing.
    The constant internet connection requirements Or DRM is going to be the downfall of this game plain and simple. I'm an older gamer and of all my friends I'm the only one that plays non-sports video games...So this whole online social interaction with games isn't something I'm interested in. I play SOLO! Which means I shouldn't need to connect to the internet or try and log into full servers.

The servers have been busy since launch! They even added another 4 servers (2 more for the U.S 2 more for Europe) but they all remain busy. To access these busy servers they place you in a queue which checks for availability every 20 mins! Who wants to wait 20 mins in queue to play a game in 2013? To make matters worse city saves don't transfer across all the different servers. So if you developed an entire "region" on the EAST USA 1 server it's restricted to that server. So having to jump onto another server means you have to start all over again. During gameplay if the server goes down, which has happened 8 times in 12H of game time played, then your progress isn't saved and you again have to start over. The maps are way to small. Weird glitches take place. Factories/casinos/schools all magically stop working causing massive crashes in population. I think they included the fluctuating population feature b/c of the small map size. Curved roads are useless. They waste space which is very crucial in this version. If you're willing to pay for a game that you will have limited access too, will constantly have to restart due to developer incompetence, get frustrated by illogical glitches then buy the game. I would recommend not buying this game. Spend 5$ on a Kairosoft game (Game dev story/mega mall story) you'll get more enjoyment and better performance from that game.
  38. Mar 6, 2013
    Unable to play. Tutorial will not progress past the loading screen. Queues to play a single player game.

This is unacceptable EA. I expect things that I purchase to work as advertised on day one. Fix this.
  39. Mar 6, 2013
    Just helping to drag down the rating here in hopes that EA will learn a lesson here. Do not block me from playing a single player game because your servers are insufficient. 48 Hours after launch. This is unacceptable,
  40. Mar 6, 2013
    I created a Metacritic account just to review this game. Here are some simple points.
    a) The DRM is ATROCIOUS. IT WON'T EVEN "AUTHENTICATE ME" TO PLAY SINGLEPLAYER.
    b) If that isn't enough, THE GAME CRASHES EVERY 15 MINUTES.
    c) From what I played of the game, it's mediocre at best.
    d) This is a complete waste of $60 and I swear I will never buy another EA game again.
  41. Mar 6, 2013
    I don't agree about people claiming that the DRM should not influence the score of the game.
    This is severely limiting my game experience, not allowing me to play it when and where I want (on the road in the train? not possible).
    For a game focused about singleplayer (who believes this community BS anyway) this is a big minus. The fact that it does not work properly to start with is in
    The fact that it does not work properly to start with is in this age of clouds, flexible computing a meager excuse.
    If you impose it, better make it work or your customers will be unhappy. My boss wouldn't accept such a lame excuse either.

I asked for a refund and will not buy or play an EA game from now on.
  42. Mar 7, 2013
    Simply put, this version is no longer a city sim, but rather a city version of the sims series. This was the worst release I've experienced in 15 years of online gaming. I don't mind the DRM as long as I have the option to play offline (not avail...) in the case that I'll be frequently travelling with no persistent internet connection. What I really hate about it is once they realizeSimply put, this version is no longer a city sim, but rather a city version of the sims series. This was the worst release I've experienced in 15 years of online gaming. I don't mind the DRM as long as I have the option to play offline (not avail...) in the case that I'll be frequently travelling with no persistent internet connection. What I really hate about it is once they realize that keeping the game online is costing them more money than they tricked loyal SC fans out of, they just turn off the lights and we are out the $60-80. Frequent server drops and synch issues made it impossible to join public regions despite having access to a fiberoptic connection on the west coast. I didn't get the opportunity to participate in the betas or I probably would not have bought the game. Well played EA. Like many others here, my first impression of the game was a great big WTF!? The cities... err neighborhoods... are tiny and it really does feel like a facebook game. Gone are the custom maps and giant cities where you designed your own mass transit and raised your populations to huge numbers. If you enjoyed SC4 you probably wont like this game... I hate to say it but give Cities XL a go instead. I'm usually very understanding of release or patch issues since I am a software developer/DBA myself, but the types and seriousness of problems I encountered really made me wonder if half the code was even tested. I imagine it was more like "Hey we said March release, let's just put out what we have by then and deal with the fallout by using coyly worded press releases and ninja hotfixes". Expand
  43. Mar 6, 2013
    If you buy a singleplayer game and can't play on release day because of server issues, the game is basically defective. I would have been willing to stomach Online-DRM, but only if it actually worked. Customers should be no testbed for server architecture.
  44. Mar 6, 2013
    Massive step back for the franchise which reached its peak with SimCity 4. This release owes much more to the Sims in terms of concept and gameplay. Definitely not in the mold of a classic city simulator.
  45. Mar 7, 2013
    The game itself seems fine, but it's been out for 2 days and I still can't play it because of the always online DRM. It's unacceptable for a single player game to use that kind of system.
  46. Mar 7, 2013
    The game itself is interesting, server administration and offline for a long time. Too bad Given the poor response. Origin terrible response to market. Once again the game itself is interesting.
  47. Mar 7, 2013
    Spent the last 5 hours trying to play this but haven't been able to load up a city.

Worst part of the server congestion is the lack of UI feedback. I don't get anything telling me the server is full, or even a wait time all I get is generic errors that amount to "That didn't work, try again later." I haven't bought a game at launch for ages now, and I'm really regretting not doing

I haven't bought a game at launch for ages now, and I'm really regretting not doing what I usually do and wait till it was in the bargain bin. Of course by then the servers would probably be completely off.

I miss single player gaming.
  48. Mar 7, 2013
    Regardless of how great the game MIGHT be this debacle of a launch cannot get anything more than a zip,zilch, zero. I have tried for over two hourse to get at game started. A single player, private game...
    "We are confident the European launch will go smoothly" my A**
    "We are confident the European launch will go smoothly" my A**
    After being thrown out of servers, being stuck on "Searching for update"-screen (only way to get past was to manually erase files on my hard drive), not being able to do anything but scroll around the map in tutorial mode three times on two different servers and not being able to start so much as a single teeny weeny ramshackle town I cannot recommend buying this at this point to anyone!
    I really, really wanted to like this game. I didn't care too much about neither the always online nor the smaller map size but to pay so much money for something that doesn't work what so ever is not ok...
    There is no possible excuse for releasing such a broken product and there is sure as hell no way I would recommend anyone to but this product at this time.

(Great, after being thrown out of the servers again I'm stuck on "Searching for updates"... Again...)
  49. Mar 7, 2013
    always-on-drm is not acceptable in SimCity. EA killed the franchise. Played every SimCity-like game for hundrends of hours not buying this one because of EA stupid and greedy market practice. Its a shame, because maxis built a really nice sim engine.
  50. Mar 7, 2013
    Is this going to be the way forward for all pc game launches? with unusable servers, unfinished content and online single player games that only work when your rooster and goat are pointed into the wind on a full moon?.
    I still have nightmares about a company called Ubisoft that mostly started this and i have not bought a game off them since.
    To the fan boys- the game maybe good but the
    To the fan boys- the game maybe good but the total game experience is ruined with another 2 finger salute from money hungry company's that should not be tolerated or encouraged in any form.
  51. Mar 7, 2013
    I'd love to give this game a good score, however as usual EA have b0rked the release. AU release late, costs more dollars than any other country, pre-load that doesn't pre-load anything, and now I can't actually play the game because there are no servers. Great work EA!
  52. Mar 7, 2013
    Acquistato l'anno scorso in prevendita e dopo quasi 10 ore dal lancio europeo (più di 24 dal lancio usa) non mi permette nemmeno di giocare? No ragazzi, non ci siamo.
  53. Mar 7, 2013
    EA had YEARS to prepare for this launch. YEARS. What did they do with it? They let it go straight down a nasty toilet.

This game was meant to be great, but always-on DRM isn't a winner in this category. Nobody likes it and EA is paying the price. Servers are constantly clogged. And if you play for a an hour, it will be slow and you'll suddenly be kicked off without any game

Servers are constantly clogged. And if you play for a an hour, it will be slow and you'll suddenly be kicked off without any game save. Boom! All your work is gon!
  54. Mar 7, 2013
    I have been able to play 3 hours since launch. Being forced to play through Origin, (which didn't predownload the game), and being forced to go online was a hard pill to swallow. Now the servers have crashed and nearly 4 days after game was scheduled to be out I still can't play. The little amount of time I did play was ok. City size was too small, then I didn't know what to do. ThoughtI have been able to play 3 hours since launch. Being forced to play through Origin, (which didn't predownload the game), and being forced to go online was a hard pill to swallow. Now the servers have crashed and nearly 4 days after game was scheduled to be out I still can't play. The little amount of time I did play was ok. City size was too small, then I didn't know what to do. Thought the game play was too easy. I also dont' get why it wants this Evil Vu character to turn my citizens into criminals. No I don't want to turn this business into a mafia esque stranglehold. The amount of joy I had playing my first city for 3 hours was quickly wiped away when 2 other cities were lost without the ability to save when the game consistanstly crashed. I was hesitant of EA. I will never buy another EA game. Expand
  55. Mar 7, 2013
    I managed to play the game last night and I was amazed on how amazing the game play is, BUT THIS ALWAYS ONLINE DRM thing is just terrible. I spend good hard earn money on this and they give me sever issues? This is just insulting!
  56. Mar 7, 2013
    EA Games, destroy everything.
    Permanent connection, less difficult, tiny maps... I was a big fan of SimCity, but I think we should turn the page now.
  57. Mar 7, 2013
    What's the point of the developers spending so much time and effort making this game when we can't even get onto the server to play it. Cloud based gaming is just rubbish. I would much rather have my save file saved to my PC and thus allow me to play without wondering whether EA will have its server's fixed
  58. Mar 7, 2013
    What a let down. Played for a few hours and really liked the game. Only to return to my city a few hours later and realise it didn't save my city's progress because the server connection failed during play. Two hours of playing were gone. Unacceptable!!!!
  59. Mar 8, 2013
    I'm going to be extremely generous in this review by pretending I'm writing from the perspective of six months from now, that all the server issues have been fixed, and that perhaps EA has even modified some of the most egregious limitations of the online DRM. As a longtime SimCity fan who's played every iteration of the game, though, going back to Will Wright's original classic, it trulyI'm going to be extremely generous in this review by pretending I'm writing from the perspective of six months from now, that all the server issues have been fixed, and that perhaps EA has even modified some of the most egregious limitations of the online DRM. As a longtime SimCity fan who's played every iteration of the game, though, going back to Will Wright's original classic, it truly pains me to say I still cannot recommend this game.

The city size issue mentioned by many here is actually not new, but it's become so bad that it actually undermines the core premise of the game (that one is simulating a "city"). I can still recall being disappointed at how small SimCity 4's city areas seemed relative to SimCity 3000, but here the typical "city" is, without exaggeration, neighborhood-size. At 2x2 km, a typical city lot is slightly larger than Park Slope in Brooklyn, assuming there is no water or other unbuildable terrain. Truth be told, SimCity never handled scale all that well, but with these dimensions, the very notion of mass transit itself becomes absurd, as a pedestrian could walk across the city in a matter of minutes. It's little wonder that agricultural zoning and subways have disappeared. The cities are simply too small for them.

This alone is enough to severely limit the appeal of the game to me, but the regional system, too, is poorly implemented. The essence of SimCity was, after all, always the Mayorship, and the Mayor's authority extends only to the borders of his city. Attempting to create regional economies and specializations, where players are forced to constantly deal with neighbors (whether in multiplayer or single-player) ultimately detracts from the experience, IMO. This is not SimCounty or SimState or SimRegionalEconomicPartnership, it's SimCity! The scale and shape of the cities, moreover, makes the "regions" appear quite ridiculous and not at all realistic.

Zoning, a core element of the game, has been given an overhaul, but not for the better. Previous versions built in infrastructure cost as part of the zoning itself (higher densities cost more to zone), but did not care what size street they fronted. Here, zoning is free, but all depends on the type of fronting street. This makes it impossible to construct anything like Lower Manhattan or downtown Boston. Your options are basically Phoenix, Las Vegas or Houston, on a tiny scale. The streets can be curvy now, yes, but since building lots remain square (was it really that hard to snap lots and buildings to irregular spaces?), this produces a tremendous amount of wasted space.

The time scale of SimCity was always perplexing, with the early emphasis on dirty industry, later transitioning to electronics and white collar services, suggestive of a starting point during the industrial revolution and moving through the late 20th century (I believe SC 2000 had a possible starting year of 1900 A.D., though contemporary tech was always available, and culminated with futuristic arcologies). The tantalizing possibilities of building a game that captures the sweep of urban history in this manner, a sort of Civilization of city-building, has been left unexplored here. Instead, the player lives in a perpetual now, with only a handful of technological enhancements here and there. About the AI, many uncomplimentary things could be said. Multiple fire trucks respond to a single modest house fire even as a wall of flame sweeps through the industrial district. Residents make contradictory statements about their proximity to shopping. And so on.

I'm trying to think of a few positive things to say here, and I do like the option of simply adding on to, rather than demolishing and rebuilding, certain buildings. The graphics are attractive enough, if a bit cartoony. Overall, though, it's just not a step up from SC 4, or even from the two before it. Did fans really wait 10 years for this? Perhaps Maxis can, in time, mend some of the flaws. Others are here to stay, reflective of what looks like a long-term shift away from single-player in-depth games to a ones better suited to an era of smart phones and short attention spans. For SimCity, though, one of the ultimate time wasters and friend to micromanagers everywhere, that design imperative may very well be fatal to the venerable franchise.
  60. Mar 8, 2013
    An absolutely awesome city building game, if only it didn't have so many ongoing issues. Purchased this product on release day and have dealt with nothing but freezes, failure to connect to server messages, never ending countdown timers, and disconnects. What's really starting to piss me off is when an available server is selected and it states my game is ready, but then it only loads asAn absolutely awesome city building game, if only it didn't have so many ongoing issues. Purchased this product on release day and have dealt with nothing but freezes, failure to connect to server messages, never ending countdown timers, and disconnects. What's really starting to piss me off is when an available server is selected and it states my game is ready, but then it only loads as far as the main menu where, you guess it disconnect. I swear EA thinks this game is like their other first-person shooters where all gamers have to do is just switch servers. Wrong! Some of us actually want to continue building our cities instead of constantly having to restart from the ground up. I've also lost two good sized cities due to server disconnects and many smaller ones that just disappeared into the cloud. I can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone including my worst enemy. However, if you like not being able to play a game you rightfully paid for, enjoy slamming your head against a wall until unconscious. Expand
  61. Mar 9, 2013
    EZ, simple review here: Bought the game and paid $60 for me and another $60 shot for my son... thinking father and son game play, right? WRONG! 4 days later, still no servers available, network down, lost connections. In short not ready for prime time.
    **They even had a beta period to test this thing unbelievable screw up on many fronts. The game is just not ready save your money.
    What I have been able to see graphics are stunning and game play looks great if it works. City sizes are limited and small too bad, and offline mode is a must. Wont ever buy a game with this platform again and will definatelt think hard and probably decide against anything with EA on it On top of all the issues, they disabled your ability to contact them for help. Pathetic.
  62. Mar 10, 2013
    It's all been said. A great city building game for anyone who doesn't like playing city building games. It has far more in common with Simcity Societies than Simcity4.
  63. Mar 11, 2013
    Continue to play simcity 4. This version is better graphically, but gameplay is zero: the maps are tiny, disasters can not be disabled. Big disappointment, and a sense of myself cheated
  64. Mar 11, 2013
    What a sad time for gamer's when the 'mainstream' industry keeps shooting itself in the foot like this with its DRM and 'streamlined for the masses' mentality. It’s obvious why this game tanked on so many levels, too much PUBLISHER influence. The root of all evil in the gaming industry these days and the main reason the industry is tanking as a whole, is the corporate, suit wearingWhat a sad time for gamer's when the 'mainstream' industry keeps shooting itself in the foot like this with its DRM and 'streamlined for the masses' mentality. It’s obvious why this game tanked on so many levels, too much PUBLISHER influence. The root of all evil in the gaming industry these days and the main reason the industry is tanking as a whole, is the corporate, suit wearing Jackoff, that has zero creative and artistic ability influencing game development. The 'Suit' has no place in an artistic and creative industry, they just get in the way. As long as publishers keep messing with the development formula games will only be about, how many 'units' are sold, Metacritic scores, and what the current 'trend' is. Just remember EA, you bang the nails in your own coffin. Expand
  65. Dai
    Mar 11, 2013
    In some ways, the fact that the game's launch was a shameful, shameful disaster is a blessing to it, as it's a distraction from the fact that this is the shallowest, most linear iteration of the game ever. Let's get the launch issues out of the way. The game, out for over a week now, is still normally unplayable, even at off-peak hours. Constant crashes and disconnections may get fixedIn some ways, the fact that the game's launch was a shameful, shameful disaster is a blessing to it, as it's a distraction from the fact that this is the shallowest, most linear iteration of the game ever. Let's get the launch issues out of the way. The game, out for over a week now, is still normally unplayable, even at off-peak hours. Constant crashes and disconnections may get fixed eventually, but who knows? There's never been a game launch this horrible before.

Aside from the server issues, the game is a bug-riddled mess. The sound randomly cuts in and out, or worse, gets stuck playing the same sound effects over and over again. Strange graphical glitches put buildings on ugly pillars of earth. Fire trucks circle the block endlessly, passing right in front of buildings they're supposed to be extinguishing. I expect more even from shovelware.

But let's say they fix some of the game's bugs. It's still an inferior product to versions of the game shipped a decade or longer ago, with numerous features removed and replaced with at best busywork. Cities can only be a few blocks wide, severely limiting the available space for creatively making the city your own.

This would be a 3/10 product if it functioned. It doesn't. Broken products don't get any points.
  66. Mar 6, 2013
    I haven't played SimCity in a long time, so I was looking very forward to getting back into the franchise. So far, I've experienced far more disappointment than satisfaction. #1, because of the always online DRM, your ability to play the game at any given time rests squarely in the hands of EA. You're essentially leasing the game from them, you're not buying it, it's not yours. #2,I haven't played SimCity in a long time, so I was looking very forward to getting back into the franchise. So far, I've experienced far more disappointment than satisfaction. #1, because of the always online DRM, your ability to play the game at any given time rests squarely in the hands of EA. You're essentially leasing the game from them, you're not buying it, it's not yours. #2, it's has a SINGLE PLAYER GAME component that still has always online DRM. It's conceptually ridiculous when a single player game relies on a 3rd party in order to even work. #3, when I finally got in, I initially enjoyed playing the game. The aspects of city-building are pretty deep. The downside quickly became apparent; there's no room to build sprawling cities like with past titles.

..... #4, make no mistake, this is designed to be a multiplayer game where a collective ground of people each contributes to an overall goal for a region. I prefer to play the single player component, but in its current state, that isn't very good.
  67. Mar 7, 2013
    There isn't much left to be said after the many fair points presented by the other users. Next time do it right, because this isn't the way to go.
  68. Mar 9, 2013
    An insulting mockery of the SimCity series. Leave it up to EA to ruin yet another series. Always-Online DRM for a single player game? Laughing. Out. Loud.
  69. Mar 10, 2013
    What can I say, EA is absolutely the worst publisher of all time, has no business ethics, bribes critics for inflated review score, cash driven who cares nothing about the quality of its game, how many more series that we love and enjoy will have to be ruined by EA before players realize that EA is nothing but a pile of dog and stop patronizing their atrocities?
  70. Mar 10, 2013
    I bougth it days ago and i just cant play. EA shlound remove that unfair DRM. This just affect to legal consumers like me. Meanwhile, the pirates are playing as they want. Sorry for my bad english. See you around.
  71. Mar 10, 2013
    On Sunday this game is STILL massively broken, and there is little hope it will EVER be fixed. The reason being, is that the problems are fundamental DESIGN decisions that broke this game and unless EA decides to go against those DESIGN decisions that massive amount of players have been rightfully criticizing for MONTHS are finally listened to and heeded, this game will be referenced asOn Sunday this game is STILL massively broken, and there is little hope it will EVER be fixed. The reason being, is that the problems are fundamental DESIGN decisions that broke this game and unless EA decides to go against those DESIGN decisions that massive amount of players have been rightfully criticizing for MONTHS are finally listened to and heeded, this game will be referenced as THE screwup to reference for YEARS.

The online DRM is beyond idiotic. Morons keep stating, well ALL GAMES are like this at launch like this. WRONG. Even IF it HAPPENS fairly regularly, it shows complete INCOMPETENCE to allow it to happen AT ALL. They KNOW how many preorders occur, they can tell in REAL TIME how many people are buying it and extrapolate how many servers they should need. But it goes beyond this farcical rationale of allowing the shaft up ones butt to say 'this is normal'. It's not normal, SimCity is a game that DOESN'T NEED online anything. Now, if they WANT to OFFER multiplayer, FINE. In fact it would be a PLUS to OFFER it. But NOT at the expense of forcing your customer, in a depression mind you, to put up with crap that they don't need to after paying. Single player should always be able to work OFFLINE. Period, end of story. There is NO legitimate rationale that beats this, and they made the game MORE EXPENSIVE to render it useless as such.

Additionally it makes the game MORE expensive to maintain, even MORE so then they obviously were expecting, which DOES mean that THIS game will have a short shelf life, as EA will pull the servers relatively quickly if they need 2-4-8x the amount of servers 'necessary' to play the game, even though the whole process was UNNECESSARY to begin with. A single player game should not be rendered unplayable on day 1 or year 2 or 3 because the servers are offline. Though even if they had a five year plan, does it now become 2 or 3 because they need to run all these extra servers? Given EA's track record, that's almost assuredly YES.

Now what's the 2nd most debilitating aspect of this game? THE SAVES. We've had hard drives available to us since the 1980's. There simply is NO REASON to make it a cloud only save system. It's a big middle finger to ALL of us. Already I've had THREE CITIES, including one this morning Sunday, March 10th that cannot be loaded. Oh it's registering that it was lucky enough to be saved as it's showing up in resume, this time, but it simply won't load. Again, this is ANOTHER unnecessary DESIGN decision. One they need to give up on, and one if they WANTED TO, could be done in a single day. Not hard to develop a save system. Simple as pie. Why don't they? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO BE ABLE TO.

Even IF it worked, it takes AWAY your ability to take cities different directions. To try some stuff out and decide whether or not you made a mistake without having to start a brand new city. Disasters? Well hey one of the major fun times of Sim City is the ability to save something, and destroy the hell out of it with disasters, and then reload it and it's good as new. Nevermore. Because of a DESIGN decision.

So this game doesn't JUST have issues that are 'normal' for online only games, it's a single player game that has problems at launch which are completely unforgivable AND the problems overall with these design decisions won't go away with simply more servers. They neuter the game throughout the gameplay, add unnecessary reliability issues, and will shorten the games life, guaranteed.

Then I can go with the FACT that these cities are absolutely TINY. You used to be able to have 30 huge megalopolises to now 15 or so tiny neighborhoods? Quite a few features have been removed too, but I can understand some change on that front, but the size of cities is simply unforgivable. The city size is also most likely due to NETWORK ability to handle them, with perhaps some issues with power of ones PC. Don't listen to the morons who are scoring this well. They simply don't have the tools to understand the whole breadth of the situation. If they can get full on crackers and call it a meal, good for them, but it is by definition, not an all-you-can-eat. This game has MAJOR problems, and more servers will not solve them. Only a proper patch that EA must have a mea culpa on to change some of these design decisions will salvage this game. One that I do not believe EA has the balls or customer appreciation to engage in. Allow people to save their games on THEIR system and control that. Allow them to play offline so that if servers go down, either through errors or eventual discontinuance, people can still play their games. After this address the city sizes, as most likely it IS the network aspect that helped limit their sizes. So once you remove that, and realize there are plenty of people that can play larger maps, there simply is NO REASON to limit their city size in the way they have.
  72. Mar 7, 2013
    Buying the game on origin was the worst online experience I've ever had Until I started up the game were all I have is a timer and the credits.
    Thanks alot EA.
  73. Mar 11, 2013
    It's sad to see a great game series like Sim City die at the hands of EA, the two biggest problems I found with this game that goes hand in hand is the forced Online connection and he launch was terrible and just trying to experience the game isnt really even possible
  74. Mar 7, 2013
    A game with great potential...IF/WHEN it works, and IF/WHEN critical bugs are fixed. It's not a positive side...yet. Also, "always online" turned the game, which would be a great product, into a mediocre service. Also, what about that modding talk we've read in some articles here and there? Oh, I see..."at the time, it was", as Daniel Matros would say. It's a shame how a game with greatA game with great potential...IF/WHEN it works, and IF/WHEN critical bugs are fixed. It's not a positive side...yet. Also, "always online" turned the game, which would be a great product, into a mediocre service. Also, what about that modding talk we've read in some articles here and there? Oh, I see..."at the time, it was", as Daniel Matros would say. It's a shame how a game with great potential has also the same potential to destroy a once great franchise. I won't buy, nor recommend it, until they fix bugs, keep their promises and deliver a service at an acceptable level. BTW, same happened with BF3. Expand
  75. Mar 7, 2013
    can't get into my OWN game, can't play, can't save my progress has be deleted twice and i've been required to go through the tutorial twice. what a shame shame but knowing who developed the game i can't say i'm suprised EA would drop the ball on something like this...what a shame
  76. Mar 7, 2013
    I bought the game because, even though I got screwed by Diablo 3, I figured I'd give EA one chance.

So far, they have blown it--the game is unplayable. It gets two stars because the time I have been able to play it, it has been very fun. I will adjust my score if I can get one week without problems, but in the meantime, the low score will serve as a message to EA that they NEED to get their act together. This is unacceptable and bordering on fraud.
  77. Mar 7, 2013
    Not really much good to say about a game that doesn't even work 75% of the time.
    I loved the previous instalments of the series so had high hopes for this one, but sadly no cigar. Why the hell did they make this traditional single player game with a on-line requirement, that is not only a authentication server connection but an actual game server connection where the server capacity is clearly not enough to feed the demand, my first ever attempt to play was on the 7th EU launch day, and first try entry got in and the game told me i had timed out and told me to log back in. 2nd try the same server was suddenly full with a 19min queue, even though it shows green and not full in the list.

3rd attempt to play resulted in yet another time out due to the 15minute queue hurray!
    When I finally got to play the game it crashed in 20 min or so and back to the god damn queue.

So my first thought on this new Sim City is a big WTF?!? where you smoking Maxis?

Shame that so many critics based there review solely on the EA press version they got to play without the thousands of real players crammed on to the few servers. Would love to see the reviews if 90% of them would spend 30min or more in a queue to play for the review, and then have the game crash on them in 20min 3 hours repeatedly.

I can already hear the lawyers over the pond getting ready to process the class-action lawsuit that this embarrassing excuse of a game will likely produce in true Americana style. Maybe we EU citizen should also put our class-action lawsuit powers in to good use here
  78. Mar 7, 2013
    Forced required permanent internet connection to play a bloody single player game. Horrible servers support a craptastic game. F U EA. You can go to hell. Never buying another one of your stupid games.
  79. Mar 6, 2013
    After waiting for around 30 minutes in a queue to finally play the game, my city gets corrupted and I lose some of my progress so far. This is unacceptable. This is for all intents and purposes a single player game and there's no reason to be always online. DO NOT BUY!
  80. Mar 9, 2013
    Wow this "Always Online" nonsense completely wrecked this game to the point where we can't even play it. And in an attempt to fix the problems they actually disable many of the games features. lol I already did a chargeback to get my money and I will not be buying another EA game until they stop doing this nonsense. If you buy a single-player game then you should be able to freaking playWow this "Always Online" nonsense completely wrecked this game to the point where we can't even play it. And in an attempt to fix the problems they actually disable many of the games features. lol I already did a chargeback to get my money and I will not be buying another EA game until they stop doing this nonsense. If you buy a single-player game then you should be able to freaking play it OFFLINE! This is just one of the many reasons why I think we're going to see another gaming industry crash... Companies are just getting out of control with all of the ridiculous decisions. Expand
  81. Mar 7, 2013
    Pretty sure any review of this game that is "positive" is written by someone who works for EA. How can you possibly say "the game itself is great" when you can't actually get into the game from a public server? It doesn't matter to me how slick the presentation is on the private servers they give to employees and game reviewers.

I predict Maxis doesn't fix the server issue and gives

I predict Maxis doesn't fix the server issue and gives up, leaving us with $60 coaster/DVDs for a game we never got to play. I have learned my lesson on buying "online" games.
  82. Apr 15, 2013
    I've amended my review to reflect SimCity more accurately now that it can actually be played. So setting aside all the DRM crap and EA's crappy servers and other launch woes the rest of the game is alright. It's good but in all honesty the server's aren't the only thing wrong with this game. Traffic problems run rampant despite several patches to help this and it's almost assured that youI've amended my review to reflect SimCity more accurately now that it can actually be played. So setting aside all the DRM crap and EA's crappy servers and other launch woes the rest of the game is alright. It's good but in all honesty the server's aren't the only thing wrong with this game. Traffic problems run rampant despite several patches to help this and it's almost assured that you will have a 4 mile long bank of traffic waiting to get into or leave your city on the only connecting road you're allowed to the region.

Despite trying and trying it's just hard to really get that longevity out of the game. I'm not really sold on the multiplayer side of things. I did it once and thought cool, and after a few hours me and the 3 other players I was playing with had filled up most of the city blocks and were starting on a Great Work. Once that was finished then all we could really do was twiddle our thumbs. Traffic problems were horrendous but there was nothing we could do about that, there was only one road in and out of our cities. Sure we could start another region and do it all again but why? there's 8 maps to choose from, the level of variety is obscenely low. I guess I would like the multiplayer and perhaps just SimCity itself more if it actually kept many of the things that made the series so great to begin with. But instead this game forces many sacrifices of things for these new ideas which honestly detract a lot from those ideas. I constantly dream up the things I could do if my city borders were bigger or if I actually could build my own intercity transport routes but instead I'm stuck with what has been decided for me. SimCity has turned itself into a board game rather than being the sandbox city builder we onced loved.
  83. Mar 7, 2013
    Unable to gain access to play anything. Can;t even get into the tutorial let alone build a city. Servers are either full, down or showing available but unable to access. I have an excellent internet connection and I always play most games online so I know it is not me. Of course, EA refuses to give a refund for their non functioning software
  84. Mar 7, 2013
    It has been quite some time since I bought a game (pre-order to be exact). I have so much expectation towards this game, the multi-player thing, the new graphic and etc. Yes, I was a little shocked that this game requires constant internet connection, but then It was the same with Diablo, so I wasn't so mad back then.
    When I finally installed the game and play, that's the time I AM MAD! I
    When I finally installed the game and play, that's the time I AM MAD! I AM NOT ALLOWED to play because the server is full? I am not allowed to play because some random bug delete my city or the save doesn't sync properly? I am paying for a game I couldn't play? Are you saying manage to go pass the client and go in game in 1/10 occasions consider playable?

This game is the joke of 2013 and an insult to the fans of the series! If they do not fix the server or provide offline play(and save and load), this game will always get a 0 score from me.
  85. Mar 6, 2013
    Totally unplayable! Spent 3 hours trying to log in and was finally successful. Played half the tutorial only to be kicked off as the servers went down again. This was trying to play SINGLE PLAYER!! People would be better off using an offline pirated version of this game as it might actually work!! What a joke.
  86. Mar 10, 2013
    I'll adjust my rating once offline mode got added to the game. Currently it's unplayable and way too small. I did expect a lot more from this franchise.
  87. Mar 9, 2013
    The game simply does not work. This is the result of draconian, always online, DRM. It's so sad that this game has been reduced to such, I'm sure that Maxis tried but EA forced this BS down their throats.
  88. Mar 7, 2013
    I would like to like this game, but its impossible to play it. Every night, every server. Connection issues. Verizon FIOS not my end their end. The game may be great, but if you buy it, I guarantee you won't be able to enjoy it.
  89. Mar 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Origin F....... Gaming on-line F......
    Too much troubles.
    I,ve been lost my 20 hours city builder!!!
    F....!!!
    Go home EA Origin, you're a loosers. Just like your F.... server.
  90. Mar 10, 2013
    Worst server/drm problems ever! This game just became a scam and i demand refund for every victim that bought this game. Stick that free game up ur @ss
  91. Mar 9, 2013
    This game requires constant internet access, even though there is a single player element. The game is totally unreliable to play, you could get knocked off at any time. It is a joke.

EA are the worst publishing company in the universe.
  92. Mar 9, 2013
    Damn online DRM I hate you When you bought the game and play it at once you will find the server error will make you mad Just like Diablo 3 ,I think it's not worse to preorder for the game Just wait to the discount
  93. Mar 11, 2013
    I purchased this game to play it, and after 4 days of constantly trying, I don't even have any interest in the game. They charge Australians nearly DOUBLE what the rest of the world pays, then put two Oceanic servers in America, which are never actually available! Do yourself a favour and don't bother.
  94. Mar 6, 2013
    Its more like Sim Town given the size restrictions. Suggest you read this for a nice compilation of how restrictive the game is: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/simcity-impressions-we-waited-ten-years-for-this/
  95. Mar 5, 2013
    Despite the always online DRM BS and the maps being the size of a small suburb, I still purchased this with the hopes it might be entertaining. Well After playing for an hour and logging out I have now lost my "City". I also cannot create a new region or join another users region.

What a pile of smoking horse s$%t. Requesting a refund from Amazon, and if they don't play ball I'll file a report with my bank.
  96. Mar 6, 2013
    Unable to connect to sim city servers................can not play.......................$59.99 ........................the pirates win and the paying customer gets the shaft.
  97. Mar 6, 2013
    Can't believe i bought a game that doesn't allow me to play.
    Started 2 cities that vanished after about 7 hours of play. Amazing. After the devs talked about how passionate they are about the game i can't believe this. Why am i not surprised anymore, EA.
  98. Mar 6, 2013
    I dowloaded and installed the game without problems but after it I can't play it because server are offline, server is not available etc. problems. I tried it one hours, read many similar user experience and different forums.
    Here are test result from speedtest.net mine Internet connection is good:
    Date Download Upload Ping
    Here are test result from speedtest.net mine Internet connection is good:
    Date Download Upload Ping
    07.03.2013 01:04 CET 60.85 Mb/s 6.18 Mb/s 15 ms I do not recommend to buy this game I did it because I read positive review from beta. It is looks that EA servers can't handle that many players, or they have bugs in server part of game. Whatewer reason is many customers can't play the game this is not that developers/vendors shloud do for gamers. I already raised refund request I hope that they at least return money back. Shame on EA, shame on Maxis.
  99. Mar 7, 2013
    I cannot play the game due to server issues for 3 days. I want a refund, but EA says that is not an option. How can you give a good rating to a game that is not playable? DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!
  100. Mar 7, 2013
    This game is absolutely, abysmally horrible. You are required to always be online, yet the servers don't work properly. There are no saves for a city, so any decisions or mistakes you make are final. EA took a great franchise and destroyed it.
  101. Mar 7, 2013
    The game itself is okay. It certainly isn't the best SimCity game, but it's a good place to start on an update for the franchise.

The inability for Maxis/EA to keep it's required servers online, however, is a deal breaker. The game can't even be opened unless it phones home to Maxis and then stays connected throughout the gameplay. This presents a major problem when Maxis has simply failed at keeping these servers online.

The game has been unplayable for days. This is an unacceptable way to treat your customers. Maxis should be ashamed.

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]