2.2

1. Mar 7, 2013
    If your looking to play a sim town game that you can rarely play because of server issues, cannot save, and crashes regularly then you are in luck. Otherwise, stay away. How does EA stay in business producing this stuff? We all must just be sheep to them.
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    When you purchase a game, you should be able to play it when it is released. If a game cannot be made available to the customers, the game should not be released. Ive tried for hours to get in, to no avail. Always online DRM needs to go the way of the dodo. Such a shame
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    I am used to bad launches. However, there doesn't seem to be a single server that is working. Not being able to play a game I just payed for is the worst kind of launch. EA I want my money back.
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin way back in January.
    I never received any of the keys for any of the betas from EA.
    The game is still unavailable (not yet released) to me although it should have unlocked 16 hrs ago. I also fear when it does become available it will not be working, it will be crashing, there will be server errors, as well as progress lost. Why else would
    I pre-ordered Digital Deluxe Edition on Origin way back in January.
    I never received any of the keys for any of the betas from EA.
    I also fear when it does become available it will not be working, it will be crashing, there will be server errors, as well as progress lost. Why else would they hold off unlocking it. To me as their premium customer?
    The review is not based solely on my frustration about release but also on bad experience of playing the Beta for which I got the key through another Amazon pre-order.
  5. Mar 7, 2013
    Pretty sure any review of this game that is "positive" is written by someone who works for EA. How can you possibly say "the game itself is great" when you can't actually get into the game from a public server? It doesn't matter to me how slick the presentation is on the private servers they give to employees and game reviewers.

I predict Maxis doesn't fix the server issue and gives

I predict Maxis doesn't fix the server issue and gives up, leaving us with $60 coaster/DVDs for a game we never got to play. I have learned my lesson on buying "online" games.
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    For once there is a broken record that I enjoy listening to. I never knew i could get so much enjoyment out of reading terrible reviews. EA embarrassed themselves big time on this one. I mean WTF. Are they seriously keeping people from just installing this thing and playing with no worries? Is your internet up? Do the servers have room? Did you city even save? I was one of the "lucky"For once there is a broken record that I enjoy listening to. I never knew i could get so much enjoyment out of reading terrible reviews. EA embarrassed themselves big time on this one. I mean WTF. Are they seriously keeping people from just installing this thing and playing with no worries? Is your internet up? Do the servers have room? Did you city even save? I was one of the "lucky" people that played for a few hours. It was enjoyable, I searched for a way to expand my city for about 20 mins thinking, "this can't be the full size"... "there has to be a way that you can buy more space with your Simoleons. Nope. Thats it. All the land you get. So you have to start demolishing entire blocks to deal with the never ending need for more fire stantions and water treatment plants. I had 6 fire stations (mostly upgraded) on that little plot of land and they were still complaining at me. I won't even go into the lack of subways and pipe laying.. heh heh. All puns aside, this was a pretty big disappointment..... Not even to mention I CANT EVEN PLAY NOW!! EA.. you s**k. Youre a greedy corporation that wants to rob gamers of the exact reason you are in business. I will happily seek a pirated version of this and wont be spending anymore money on your products. I would say I am going to seek a refund, but we all know that won't happen. I will just delete my account and wait for somebody to upload an offline, and more importantly, playable version. Maxis, you should have known better. I mean come on. To develop such a devoted following and in one fell swoop piss 99% of them off. Bravo btw, I don't know if that has been done with such a blaze of glory. RIP Simcity, you will be missed. Expand
  7. Mar 7, 2013
    A step too far.
    I bought this single player game, loaded up my disc, installed the game and went to play. That was the best part of the experience. It was all downhill from there.....
    The servers were down and when up you have to wait in a queue to actually get into the game. So as of yet I have not actually played the game I paid £40 for. Right now it is a dead paper weight. What
    A step too far.
    What annoys me is not that EA seem overly obsessed with copy protection but that they have created a game that should be a single player game just like all the previous games. You should not have to login to a server to be able to play it. There are so many other ways of doing it that the fact they went in the direction they did cannot be defended. I hope reviewers slam the game based upon that because it isn't needed or wanted. You should get a simple code that you enter into Origin to register your game to your account and then do what you want, play offline if you want. Going this route is a step to far and is nothing more then wanting to spy on you and control what you do. It is more like a facebook system then a computer game. EA messed this one up badly.
  8. Mar 7, 2013
    EA just destroyed its reputation for the sake of their DRM by making this abhorrent excuse of a game The SimCity franchise has been completely dismantled servers are never up, games are booted, can't save your progress and if you manage to start your game again you have to start from the beginning ...
    absolutely disappointing
  9. Mar 7, 2013
    Poor Customer Service. Poor design. Poor execution. This one is entirely on EA. NOT WORTH BUYING. WILL NOT ISSUE REFUND. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ATROCIOUS.

SINGLE PLAYER GAMES SHOULD NOT REQUIRE ALWAYS ON INTERNET CONNECTION!!!
  10. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is crippled by always-on DRM. How is it acceptable to wait in a queue to play single player? The plot sizes are reduced and the town relations happen on their own. Stay away from this game,
  11. Mar 7, 2013
    can't get into my OWN game, can't play, can't save my progress has be deleted twice and i've been required to go through the tutorial twice. what a shame shame but knowing who developed the game i can't say i'm suprised EA would drop the ball on something like this...what a shame
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    I waited some days with the review, to give Maxis a chance to go over the launch day issues. However, 3 days after launch and I'm still unable to connect to the servers shows a clear fail in the design development or the game.
    Update 4 days after launch: I was able to play today, so up my rating to 3 points. The game appears great, but all the region benefits are switched off to reduce load on the servers. However, the region interaction was the main justification of the tiny maps, so right now we have tiny maps and a dysfunctional region (so the worst of both world: all cities must be universal and self-sustained, but don't have the size to achieve this goal)
  13. Mar 7, 2013
    Not really much good to say about a game that doesn't even work 75% of the time.
    I loved the previous instalments of the series so had high hopes for this one, but sadly no cigar. Why the hell did they make this traditional single player game with a on-line requirement, that is not only a authentication server connection but an actual game server connection where the server capacity is clearly not enough to feed the demand, my first ever attempt to play was on the 7th EU launch day, and first try entry got in and the game told me i had timed out and told me to log back in. 2nd try the same server was suddenly full with a 19min queue, even though it shows green and not full in the list.

3rd attempt to play resulted in yet another time out due to the 15minute queue hurray!
    When I finally got to play the game it crashed in 20 min or so and back to the god damn queue.

So my first thought on this new Sim City is a big WTF?!? where you smoking Maxis?

Shame that so many critics based there review solely on the EA press version they got to play without the thousands of real players crammed on to the few servers. Would love to see the reviews if 90% of them would spend 30min or more in a queue to play for the review, and then have the game crash on them in 20min 3 hours repeatedly.

I can already hear the lawyers over the pond getting ready to process the class-action lawsuit that this embarrassing excuse of a game will likely produce in true Americana style. Maybe we EU citizen should also put our class-action lawsuit powers in to good use here
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    Not sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCityNot sure how any professional review can give this game a 10/10. Reviews should be taking game features into account, and considering the biggest feature of SimCity is it's Online mode, a 10 is laughable. So all of those 10s you see are coming from bad journalists who aren't doing their jobs correctly., just so you know because the game is good, but doesn't work. Quite honestly, SimCity could be the greatest game of all time, but you'd never know it unless you are lucky enough to get past the gauntlet of problems caused by poor development decisions. I'd stay far away from this game until they do an overhaul on the system. Expand
  15. Mar 7, 2013
    I cannot play the game due to server issues for 3 days. I want a refund, but EA says that is not an option. How can you give a good rating to a game that is not playable? DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!
  16. Mar 7, 2013
    Not only should you not buy this game (it flat out does not work), you should also discredit any Review Site that gives this game a passing grade.
    It is a failure.
  17. Mar 7, 2013
    The first thing about a game that every single one of them needs is for it to work, this does not its inexcusable, how can they spend all this time developing a game and then for it not to work, did they not expect for more than 5 people to play it a one time or something, worst thing is though EA wouldn't refund me saying its not in their policy, i stuck with EA through Mass Effect butThe first thing about a game that every single one of them needs is for it to work, this does not its inexcusable, how can they spend all this time developing a game and then for it not to work, did they not expect for more than 5 people to play it a one time or something, worst thing is though EA wouldn't refund me saying its not in their policy, i stuck with EA through Mass Effect but this stupid DRM thing for a single player game is ridiculous, when will you listen to anything anyone says i am fed up with it and i seriously hope you rethink your entire business strategy or just leave the video game market which you've already left in tatters, i would not care if North Korea went through with its threats and nuked EA, in fact i would be overjoyed at the prospect of it, so Kim Jong Un if you somehow can read this nuke EA into the stone age for the good of the world please. Expand
  18. Mar 7, 2013
    Have not been able to play due to the always on DRM do not buy this game as it is broken. Even with it being broken EA will not give me a refund I repeat do not buy this game.
  19. Mar 7, 2013
    I wish I could rate this game lower than zero. EA has acted dishonestly. I will never pay for an EA product again. Please join the boycott. These people don't need any more of your money.
  20. Mar 7, 2013
    The game is an utter disaster. Treating paying customers like vile criminals with absolutely draconian DRM that does not work. I've had only played it for 3 Hrs when it crashed saying I NEEDED to be connected to the internet to play on my own. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will be thrown into the vast abyss of people who can't play the the THEY BOUGHT AND PAYED FOR. A disgrace to gaming and aThe game is an utter disaster. Treating paying customers like vile criminals with absolutely draconian DRM that does not work. I've had only played it for 3 Hrs when it crashed saying I NEEDED to be connected to the internet to play on my own. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. You will be thrown into the vast abyss of people who can't play the the THEY BOUGHT AND PAYED FOR. A disgrace to gaming and a disgrace to a paying customer. Expand
  21. Mar 7, 2013
    Buying the game on origin was the worst online experience I've ever had Until I started up the game were all I have is a timer and the credits.
    Thanks alot EA.
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    Absolutely unacceptable and disgraceful launch from Origin. It's not so much that it's an always online game.... although that is also ridiculous... you should be able to play a single player game offline....I just can't deal with paying good money to waste my damn time waiting to load this bloody game. The issue had bloody well be temporary, It's a damn shame. unbloodyacceptable.
  23. Mar 7, 2013
    It has been quite some time since I bought a game (pre-order to be exact). I have so much expectation towards this game, the multi-player thing, the new graphic and etc. Yes, I was a little shocked that this game requires constant internet connection, but then It was the same with Diablo, so I wasn't so mad back then.
    When I finally installed the game and play, that's the time I AM MAD! I
    When I finally installed the game and play, that's the time I AM MAD! I AM NOT ALLOWED to play because the server is full? I am not allowed to play because some random bug delete my city or the save doesn't sync properly? I am paying for a game I couldn't play? Are you saying manage to go pass the client and go in game in 1/10 occasions consider playable?

This game is the joke of 2013 and an insult to the fans of the series! If they do not fix the server or provide offline play(and save and load), this game will always get a 0 score from me.
  24. Mar 7, 2013
    Lets be simple.
    What is the worth of an unplayable game? Zero.
    It doesn't matter even if the actual games is brilliant, because you could barely make it that far.
  25. Mar 7, 2013
    I created a metacritic account just because of this game.
    Online connection required to play at all times. WTF I have one. WHY doesn't this play? I purchased this for $86.49 with all the bells and whistles, I should have just gotten a hand
    I created a metacritic account just because of this game.
    job from the illegal on the corner. I guess I have to spend hours trolling thru EA forums looking for someone saying "we are aware of the bull**** and are working hard to fix it" A game to be played by people to manage a city and EA can't even manage a release?
    26 awards this thing received for what making more money than a ponzi scheme...
    Get Bernie back he'll get this going!! GET ME MY MONEY BACK!

EA you trash producing hack company! and Maxis you made a deal with the devil.
    Anyone who thinks this game is good I sell you my unplayable copy sounds like a sweet deal to me.
  26. Mar 7, 2013
    No one should ever support draconian DRM like EA has imposed here. In fact the current server issues they are having is proof why such DRM is fail. Overall I say please vote with your wallet.
  27. Mar 7, 2013
    Single player game that requires an internet connection and the installation of clunky EA software Origin to run. I'll pass on that alone, but the core game play is also a step backwards in terms of tiny cities, autosave which means no experimenting and then loading. According to the many reports it is also very buggy right now (release time).
    Back to the whole always on-line DRM thing.
    Back to the whole always on-line DRM thing.
    1. no playing on your laptop where you have crappy or no internet.
    2. Your game stops working when EA stops running the servers
    3. Your game doesn't work well right now- EA is having trouble with their servers.

There are many other reasons DRM is bad just read the comments here. I played and enjoyed the older versions of sim city. It is sad that this game is so crippled.
  28. Mar 8, 2013
    To EA staff reading this, it is completely fair for us to judge your games for the first 15 minutes, and since I haven't been able to log in for 2 whole days now, I think it's fair to say I've had enough!

I've been a game designer for 20+ years and this is why games my studio creates doesn't require an "always on connection". In fact, I'd fire the person who even suggests it at my studio.

Games are supposed to be low barrier to entry, all users want, is to play the game straight after installation.
  29. Mar 7, 2013
    I would like to like this game, but its impossible to play it. Every night, every server. Connection issues. Verizon FIOS not my end their end. The game may be great, but if you buy it, I guarantee you won't be able to enjoy it.
  30. Mar 7, 2013
    I still play SC4, and pre-ordered this piece of crap. Graphics and game play are like a retarded Facebook game. Everything has been detailed down in game so EA can sell you add-ons later and rape you even more on a 80 dollar game. City size are tiny, maybe a tenth of what they were in SC4, no subways, interstates are already on the map and in horrible places, no way to control taxes onI still play SC4, and pre-ordered this piece of crap. Graphics and game play are like a retarded Facebook game. Everything has been detailed down in game so EA can sell you add-ons later and rape you even more on a 80 dollar game. City size are tiny, maybe a tenth of what they were in SC4, no subways, interstates are already on the map and in horrible places, no way to control taxes on things to prevent air pollution (for people to use mass transit) no way to build entertainment buildings or special buildings, only parks. OH and did I mention the graphics suck big time. Not what you would expect for a 2013 game release. Farmville quality stuff here. IM running dual 680GTX cards in my desktop and it looks the same as my 2003 dell inspiron 8500 with a on board POS graphics card. I retuned it so one less person on there servers. Expand
  31. Mar 7, 2013
    I have always been a huge sim city fan but the always on internet ruined it for me whoever at ea thought it was a good idea in a single player game should be fired.avoid like the plague
  32. Mar 7, 2013
    The forced drm makes this one good game that it would probably be best to pass up. I can't understand how EA believed you could make a single player game online only.
  33. Apr 15, 2013
    I've amended my review to reflect SimCity more accurately now that it can actually be played. So setting aside all the DRM crap and EA's crappy servers and other launch woes the rest of the game is alright. It's good but in all honesty the server's aren't the only thing wrong with this game. Traffic problems run rampant despite several patches to help this and it's almost assured that youI've amended my review to reflect SimCity more accurately now that it can actually be played. So setting aside all the DRM crap and EA's crappy servers and other launch woes the rest of the game is alright. It's good but in all honesty the server's aren't the only thing wrong with this game. Traffic problems run rampant despite several patches to help this and it's almost assured that you will have a 4 mile long bank of traffic waiting to get into or leave your city on the only connecting road you're allowed to the region.

Despite trying and trying it's just hard to really get that longevity out of the game. I'm not really sold on the multiplayer side of things. I did it once and thought cool, and after a few hours me and the 3 other players I was playing with had filled up most of the city blocks and were starting on a Great Work. Once that was finished then all we could really do was twiddle our thumbs. Traffic problems were horrendous but there was nothing we could do about that, there was only one road in and out of our cities. Sure we could start another region and do it all again but why? there's 8 maps to choose from, the level of variety is obscenely low. I guess I would like the multiplayer and perhaps just SimCity itself more if it actually kept many of the things that made the series so great to begin with. But instead this game forces many sacrifices of things for these new ideas which honestly detract a lot from those ideas. I constantly dream up the things I could do if my city borders were bigger or if I actually could build my own intercity transport routes but instead I'm stuck with what has been decided for me. SimCity has turned itself into a board game rather than being the sandbox city builder we onced loved.
  34. Mar 7, 2013
    There isn't much left to be said after the many fair points presented by the other users. Next time do it right, because this isn't the way to go.
  35. Mar 7, 2013
    Review based on gameplay with a friend who purchased (and returned) his copy.

Review based on gameplay with a friend who purchased (and returned) his copy.

I would happily buy this game if I could play it offline and save my own cities, on my own computer, on my own schedule. But right now, the only option is to pay cash up front to RENT access to a game that might or might not be playable, depending on the whims of the internet and the servers. Personally I don't have free time to sit around waiting, especially when a server glitches out and eats my city. If you don't mind paying to entrust your cities to the EA servers, then more power to you. As for me, I'll pass on Rent-A-City 5 and go back to my old copy of the awesome SimCity 4.
  36. Mar 7, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!. There are far too many issues to justify spending any money until they get this mess figured out. I cannot speak to the actual game play as I continue to wait to connect to servers. I have owned this game for three days and have not been able to log on yet
  37. Mar 7, 2013
    Whats the most important aspect of any game? BEING ABLE TO F*****G PLAY IT!
    Whats the most important aspect of any game? BEING ABLE TO F*****G PLAY IT!
    I paid 600 SWEDISH CROWNS (THAT'S 93.83$ SRSLY) for this game, it took hours to get on, then i get disconnected, i get on, i try the game for a while, i get disconnected, save corrupted, if you're on a dodgy WiFi your session will disconnect, if EA servers act up, your save will get corrupted, the game itself seems fairly alright but it has been UNPLAYABLE since release date, also to play this game you need Origin, Origin is spyware; google it. I would not recommend this game to anyone and i will claim a refund, you should do the same thing.
  38. Mar 7, 2013
    I "played" this game for about 2 hours. The first 15 minutes or so were spent updating the game I had just purchased the day prior. The next 15 minutes were spent appeasing Sims in the tutorial. The next hour plus was spent being denied access to a single player game because of server issues. Sim City is just about as fun as waiting in traffic in order to pay a toll, except tolls actuallyI "played" this game for about 2 hours. The first 15 minutes or so were spent updating the game I had just purchased the day prior. The next 15 minutes were spent appeasing Sims in the tutorial. The next hour plus was spent being denied access to a single player game because of server issues. Sim City is just about as fun as waiting in traffic in order to pay a toll, except tolls actually pay for upkeep of the road or bridge you're driving on. Paying for Sim City rewards for EA for screwing their customers.

I wish I could pirate this game just to stick it to EA, which is ironic because I hate EA mostly because of the they do to thwart pirates.
  39. Mar 7, 2013
    I won't bother going into the all "I can't play it because EA uses always online DRM" because thousands of others already have so that's a tired speech to make. But no I can't play it because of EA's backwards thinking always online DRM garbage they forced in which only causes problems for their paying customers. Anyone who pirated this game has cracked it and happily been playing it whileI won't bother going into the all "I can't play it because EA uses always online DRM" because thousands of others already have so that's a tired speech to make. But no I can't play it because of EA's backwards thinking always online DRM garbage they forced in which only causes problems for their paying customers. Anyone who pirated this game has cracked it and happily been playing it while people who paid for it are stuck with intrusive DRM that messes up our ability to use the product we paid for.

Personally from what I was able to play I did not like it much at all. In fact I went over to gog.com (I love those guys) and I got sim city 4 instead and I am sending sim city 5 back for a refund and probably will never buy it again.

Sim city 5 first of all felt incomplete, a lot of things seemed missing like I dont like how the city size is limited as I remember EA saying they had much larger cities running themselves but scaled them back for the final product, you can't teraform like in past games, no subways, no farmlands, no power lines, no water lines and so on. A lot of little things are absent from the game which I fear means they will be sold to us later through microtransactions or DLC packs. Because EA has a nasty habit of nickel and diming their customers to death with over priced DLC and they love to force microtransactions into every game they make, even the ones where it makes no sense like dead space 3. Like the sims 3 for instance is not a new game, its many years old but yet if you want to buy it and all the content (including packs with pets, furniture and other such trivial things) you would spend upwards of 400 bucks or maybe more.

I hate the fact everything is stored on Cloud. I don't actually have anything saved that I do on my pc. I dependant on having to access their servers to play the game even by myself.

Multiplayer. While a interesting idea is being shoe horned into the game whether you want it or not. Personally I feel it is just an excuse to use always on DRM and force players to play their games and save content on their servers. I don't like it myself but others might. I want to sit, plot, plan and build my cities how I want with no interference from others. I don't want to play sim city to be social.

It requires Origin which I still dislike for numerous reasons. I don't even care for Steam really but I use steam and one digital service is enough for me. I don't want to spread my games out on multiple online services.

It has the look and feel of the sims, which I don't care for. It feels too cartoony, too unrealistic and it just feels like I am playing a sims game.

It also doesn't spark my creativity and desire to articulate every little thing in my head. I don't want to go into great detail and consideration when building. I found myself trying to very hard, but not actually "feeling it" so to speak. I was trying to force myself to enjoy it like I did previous games but it wasn't happening. But as soon as I loaded up sim city 4 it all came flooding back to me.
  40. Mar 7, 2013
    This game got a 79 review??? Wow, I wonder how many BJ's the EA execs had to give to these reviewers to get that high a score. All of the critics who gave this game such a high review should be embarrassed for their reviews. Its time EA is put out of its misery. Everyone who is unhappy with the game should request a refund. I purchased a download version of the game from Amazon and I wasThis game got a 79 review??? Wow, I wonder how many BJ's the EA execs had to give to these reviewers to get that high a score. All of the critics who gave this game such a high review should be embarrassed for their reviews. Its time EA is put out of its misery. Everyone who is unhappy with the game should request a refund. I purchased a download version of the game from Amazon and I was able to get a refund from them. I've also heard of people even getting refunds from EA so don't just give up on the money you paid for the game. Expand
  41. Mar 7, 2013
    so who are these people making these games for exactly? Because it surely not me. i waited in line for an hour for this "crap". Online only? Really? i have yet to get any real game time in because of this "online only bs". did these people ever take into consideration that i may not want to play with little Billy? These new game dev's are missing in the brain if they think gaming isso who are these people making these games for exactly? Because it surely not me. i waited in line for an hour for this "crap". Online only? Really? i have yet to get any real game time in because of this "online only bs". did these people ever take into consideration that i may not want to play with little Billy? These new game dev's are missing in the brain if they think gaming is about what they think is awesum. its about "US", the gamers since atari, the paying customer. Learn to read reviews, and make games based on what "we" want, because it is us that pay for the crap. Expand
  42. Mar 7, 2013
    SimCity is a game, and a service rolled into one. I pre-ordered and paid for the game in March of 2012 because I believed that Maxis and EA could deliver an excellent experience. Since SimCity went live on Tuesday, I have managed to spend less than 2 hours playing. I was kicked off server around 1240pm Tuesday March 5th and have not been able to log in since. All I see are busy servers,SimCity is a game, and a service rolled into one. I pre-ordered and paid for the game in March of 2012 because I believed that Maxis and EA could deliver an excellent experience. Since SimCity went live on Tuesday, I have managed to spend less than 2 hours playing. I was kicked off server around 1240pm Tuesday March 5th and have not been able to log in since. All I see are busy servers, queues which aren't queues and little information from Maxis or EA. SimCity is supposed to be an experience, and right now, the experience is pure frustration. The service part of SimCity rates a 0 out of 10 because it is simply non existent. There is no way of getting past this service to give a review of the game so I am forced to rate only the service part of SimCity. I wish I could be more generous but as I am unable to play at all, this is the review. Expand
  43. Mar 7, 2013
    I've come home from work every day this week hoping for some improvement with the connection problems yet all I encounter are more downtimes. I could get past all of that, but what I can't get past is that when I do manage to get connected my cities are not saved. When I go to resume game it says I'm not playing in any games... Oh but I am! I've started 3 or 4 cities now. ApparentlyI've come home from work every day this week hoping for some improvement with the connection problems yet all I encounter are more downtimes. I could get past all of that, but what I can't get past is that when I do manage to get connected my cities are not saved. When I go to resume game it says I'm not playing in any games... Oh but I am! I've started 3 or 4 cities now. Apparently the whole saving your progress thing isn't a part of the new Sim City. Expand
  44. Mar 7, 2013
    A game with great potential...IF/WHEN it works, and IF/WHEN critical bugs are fixed. It's not a positive side...yet. Also, "always online" turned the game, which would be a great product, into a mediocre service. Also, what about that modding talk we've read in some articles here and there? Oh, I see..."at the time, it was", as Daniel Matros would say. It's a shame how a game with greatA game with great potential...IF/WHEN it works, and IF/WHEN critical bugs are fixed. It's not a positive side...yet. Also, "always online" turned the game, which would be a great product, into a mediocre service. Also, what about that modding talk we've read in some articles here and there? Oh, I see..."at the time, it was", as Daniel Matros would say. It's a shame how a game with great potential has also the same potential to destroy a once great franchise. I won't buy, nor recommend it, until they fix bugs, keep their promises and deliver a service at an acceptable level. BTW, same happened with BF3. Expand
  45. Mar 7, 2013
    This game is absolutely, abysmally horrible. You are required to always be online, yet the servers don't work properly. There are no saves for a city, so any decisions or mistakes you make are final. EA took a great franchise and destroyed it.
  46. Mar 7, 2013
    Paid for nothing. Cannot run the game due to server issues. Why put a always-online-DRM on a single player game. What were they thinking? Following the path of THQ?
  47. Mar 7, 2013
    Unable to gain access to play anything. Can;t even get into the tutorial let alone build a city. Servers are either full, down or showing available but unable to access. I have an excellent internet connection and I always play most games online so I know it is not me. Of course, EA refuses to give a refund for their non functioning software
  48. Mar 7, 2013
    I am the player who only want to enjoy the game after work. Don't make the online game if EA does not effort it. I do like the new version, but I do hate try and wait to play. Can't enter the server at all!!!!
  49. Mar 7, 2013
    Haven't been able to play; I knew about the always-on DRM but thought it would only "call home" but ultimately be a local game, completely independent of whatever happens with EA's servers.

But no, seems I am tied to the reliability of the connection, their servers and the network cable not being chewed by a giant troll.

Even Steam allows me an offline mode. Please, EA?
  50. Mar 7, 2013
    Unable to play days after release means a 0 score. No business is allowed to get away with this kind of service and neither should EA. I feel bad for the team at Maxis but unfortunately we're past the age where a design team can be easily separated from the distribution team. Shame on everyone.
  51. Mar 7, 2013
    Starting issues seem to be normal with Online- and/or MMO-games today, but my point to only give 1 point is the terrible game design. Another franchise that has been killed by taking the former core pieces out of it. I know it has been mentioned many times, but the tiny (not small, tiny!) map sizes are completely out of discussion! I don't care if there are technical restrictions thenStarting issues seem to be normal with Online- and/or MMO-games today, but my point to only give 1 point is the terrible game design. Another franchise that has been killed by taking the former core pieces out of it. I know it has been mentioned many times, but the tiny (not small, tiny!) map sizes are completely out of discussion! I don't care if there are technical restrictions then make the simulation different! Anything that worked in 1989 will easily work in 2013. Why can't old game jewels be simply modernized a tiny bit, slightly, with caution? Why do today's game designers think they have to do everything differently just to create the next casual DLC-cashcow? Why the fuzzy, absolutely not stunning graphics? Why the child-like presentation?

On top, when finally playing the game, I have to conclude that in regards to gameplay and mechanics it's simply inferior to the good old SimCity Will created decades ago. Sad ending (for now) for a once wonderful franchise. 1 point and not 0 for the good tutorial.
  52. Mar 7, 2013
    Forced required permanent internet connection to play a bloody single player game. Horrible servers support a craptastic game. F U EA. You can go to hell. Never buying another one of your stupid games.
  53. Mar 8, 2013
    EA went so over the top to try and prevent pirating/used game sales that they completely destroyed what the game was intended to be, a great time sink when you do not have access to the internet or are traveling ect.. Not many fans of this type of game are going to play this instead of their staple games when they have the choice. Also not being able to save your city then completelyEA went so over the top to try and prevent pirating/used game sales that they completely destroyed what the game was intended to be, a great time sink when you do not have access to the internet or are traveling ect.. Not many fans of this type of game are going to play this instead of their staple games when they have the choice. Also not being able to save your city then completely destroy it through whatever hilarious methods the old sim citys provided just takes away one of the most entertaining aspects of the game.

My wife walked by when I was playing the beta and got all excited because she though I was playing a new version of "The Sims" that seems to be the target audience of this new game. It is so watered down from what it should have been its gross.

Anyone giving this game more than a 0 does not understand that us fans need to send a message to developers that this crap watered down DRM filled of a game is not acceptable and I will BOYCOTT all future EA games until they turn the company around.
  54. Mar 8, 2013
    DRM, CITY SIZES SMALLER THAN MY BALLS, SERVER ISSUES, SERVER WAIT, BUGS, DUM MULTIPLAYER MODE, okay and it is addicting i give you that and it looks a bit better than sc4. EA WTF!!!!!!!! AND ITS 60 BUCKS FOR THIS TRASH!!!! I BETTER GET COMPENSATED FOR THIS AFTER ITS ALL FIXED!!!
  55. Mar 8, 2013
    First of all, I have NEVER written a game review in my 36 years of gaming. I tried to put all the hate comments aside and bought it on day one. I actually played a few hours before my first disconnection. Since then, it has been nothing but frustration. Disconnects, lost data, game elements removed, and complete disappointment. The game itself is good, but all the issues that I haveFirst of all, I have NEVER written a game review in my 36 years of gaming. I tried to put all the hate comments aside and bought it on day one. I actually played a few hours before my first disconnection. Since then, it has been nothing but frustration. Disconnects, lost data, game elements removed, and complete disappointment. The game itself is good, but all the issues that I have experienced since purchasing have completely taken away any joy I have had. If you are going to purchase this game, wait until the issues are resolved as it is completely unplayable right now. Expand
  56. Mar 8, 2013
    Ok so to start off I have registered on Metacritic just to warn people how bad of a game this is. Something I haven't done before...
    Sim City has a forced DRM something EVERYONE knew for a while now. This is bad to a stage where I haven't been able to run my game in 2 days. I got as far as claiming my city and playing 5 min past tutorial when server disconnected.
    I CANT LIVE WITH
    I CANT LIVE WITH THAT, early days are always hectic I o not approve of always on DRM and I even hate it but I will not mar Sim City low for that as I knew what I was getting into.

THE BAD PART is that this is not Sim City, game is dumbed down from the start and city squares are so TINY that this can't even be called Sim Town but merely a Sim Village.

If the game was called something along the lines of Sims 3 Societies I am sure people wouldn't mind as it would attract a different type of players but for the love of what's sacred to you PLEASE do not call it Sim City.

If not for the fact I actually have some decent games on Origin I would try selling my account just to give it away! Luckily for me I still own good old Sim City 4 Rush Hour on Steam so I am signing off and goin to build a new metropolis.

P.S: If Sim city 5 adds bigger city squares through a paid DLC we should consider adding a negative scores on Metacritic as this is a piss poor marketing policy...
  57. Mar 24, 2013
    It takes Ubisoft to learn that it just not worth having persistently connected games and deal with the potential customer backlash afterward. I've since wary of buying anything coming out of Ubisoft. I will stay out of EA too if this persist and vote with my money, until they learn
  58. Mar 8, 2013
    I love the SimCity franchise, which is why this pains me so much. I owned the original SimCity, SimCity2000, SimCity4, and I think one other somewhere in the mix. This game is unworthy of the name. From tiny maps that are not even a fraction of the size of SimCity2000 and artificially scarce resources meant to push this "connective" social experience (meant to justify the always onlineI love the SimCity franchise, which is why this pains me so much. I owned the original SimCity, SimCity2000, SimCity4, and I think one other somewhere in the mix. This game is unworthy of the name. From tiny maps that are not even a fraction of the size of SimCity2000 and artificially scarce resources meant to push this "connective" social experience (meant to justify the always online DRM), the game is simply terrible. Gone are features like subways and pipe laying to make your town more efficient, and the ability to save games or go back to old saves... introduced are hours-long waits to connect to DRM servers, random city deletion from their servers, and excuse after excuse as to how the always-online feature would make the game better if you could play it.

It might merit a 1 on any other day, but EA/Origins is denying customers who bought directly a refund, if you purchased from Amazon or anywhere else, you're in luck, but if you bought the game directly from the maker... they want you to be far more patient with demanding a refund than they were with charging you for their non-functional product.

Between the abject failure of the game and the absolutely terrible customer service, my only regret is that I cannot give this game a negative score. Not only have I not enjoyed it, purchasing this game has caused considerable stress and frustration as I either waited to play or waited on the phone with my bank to get the chargeback. This experience has been so awful that not only would I not recommend purchasing this particular title, I would strongly urge readers to not purchase anything from EA ever again.
  59. Mar 9, 2013
    An insulting mockery of the SimCity series. Leave it up to EA to ruin yet another series. Always-Online DRM for a single player game? Laughing. Out. Loud.
  60. Mar 9, 2013
    The game simply does not work. This is the result of draconian, always online, DRM. It's so sad that this game has been reduced to such, I'm sure that Maxis tried but EA forced this BS down their throats.
  61. Mar 9, 2013
    I would have preferred that put me in the queue to pay for and download the game and not for play it. EA scandalous. Too bad the game itself is very well done. Well done Maxis. Much worse EA games.
  62. Mar 9, 2013
    This game is absolutely abysmal. Not only is SimCity a seriously dumbed down version of its predecessors, without terraforming, highways, subways, water tubes OR power lines, but the maps are TINY as well. One can only assume that this is a direct result of the always online DRM, and server side 'simulation' that this game comes packed with. This, in turn, also means that the small 'city'This game is absolutely abysmal. Not only is SimCity a seriously dumbed down version of its predecessors, without terraforming, highways, subways, water tubes OR power lines, but the maps are TINY as well. One can only assume that this is a direct result of the always online DRM, and server side 'simulation' that this game comes packed with. This, in turn, also means that the small 'city' limits we have now will be stuck with us for the foreseeable future due to hardware limitations on EAs side (which have been made very obvious over the past few days), despite what EA and their sockpuppet Maxis have constantly been promising. These limitations, coupled with the ongoing connectivity problems, have really ruined this game for me. I absolutely adored playing the older versions of SimCity, and all EA would've needed to do with this game for it to be good would've been using SimCity 4 mechanics and adding CityXL graphics, but they managed to screw it all up. This complete sack of crap is more worthy of the name 'The Sims 3 Build Your Neighbourhood' than the name it was given, and I beg anyone out there who is thinking of buying this game to NOT give it the benefit of the doubt, for I certainly did and I am now stuck trying to get a refund for my Origin purchase. Ugh. Expand
  63. Mar 9, 2013
    1. Terrible online concept, 2. the citysize should be three times larger, this is like kindergaren facebookgame-size.. my tip to EA, you should change your name from EA, because i see a huge decline in your name.
  64. Mar 9, 2013
    We are a few days after launch and the same problems persist, altough slightly improved. EA and Maxis try to buy off the buyers opinion with an apology that came way too late and a freebie was promised. But they do not acknowledge the fact that the fault lies by the always online DRM. This not sit well with this hard working avid Gamer. Too litle too late. Save your money, don't buy EA
  65. Mar 9, 2013
    Long time user of MC, first time poster. Long time player of Maxis games(Simcity, earth, ant, copter, etc). I've had this game since March 5th when it came out. I installed it that day. I've attempted to just play the game since then without success. It is now March 9th at 5:45am. I have tried every server listed. All I get is "Unable to load the city at this time. Please try again."Long time user of MC, first time poster. Long time player of Maxis games(Simcity, earth, ant, copter, etc). I've had this game since March 5th when it came out. I installed it that day. I've attempted to just play the game since then without success. It is now March 9th at 5:45am. I have tried every server listed. All I get is "Unable to load the city at this time. Please try again." Origin shows that I've played this game for 36 hours. That is how long I have attempted to get in to play the game I've been waiting years to play. I have not played it once. I have no problem with online DRM but I do have a problem with using it when your infrastructure before, during, and after game launch clearly can not handle it. Very highly disappointed with Maxis and EA. I'm sure they are trying to fix things but this is just completely unacceptable. I will not be changing my user score, even once I get to play it. People need to know what they are buying(consumers) and what their inadequate infrastructure and operations is doing to their reputation and future sales(Maxis/EA). Expand
  66. Mar 9, 2013
    One of the worst games I've ever played. The DRM it's killing the game. You are forced to be online whenever you wanna play the game... WTF? The game has good ideas, but it's imposible to play because of the DRM. Epic Fail
  67. Mar 9, 2013
    Why do i have to be always online, to play offline singleplayer? I would like to play when im on the road, at my grandparrents house or on vacation. Those places either don't have a internet connection, or a steady connection. Not just is the online forced on us! But it dosn't even work correctly, people can not login to play the game they purchased. And those few who can, end up gettingWhy do i have to be always online, to play offline singleplayer? I would like to play when im on the road, at my grandparrents house or on vacation. Those places either don't have a internet connection, or a steady connection. Not just is the online forced on us! But it dosn't even work correctly, people can not login to play the game they purchased. And those few who can, end up getting server issues, their cities are not saved etc..

Day 1 dlc also leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it's sad to see that things that where already finished and ready to be put in the game. Is now being sold the same day the game releases. To turn a even greater profit for EA. The game is mostly bare bones, with content needing to be purchased to fullfill the emptiness. This game is not worth the money, the wait or the troubles. I can not recommend it, and i myself have turned it back to EA. 0/10
  68. Mar 9, 2013
    when it says servers are available, they actually aren't, I've spent the better part of 3 hours trying to connect to available servers only for ea to say servers are not available, on at least 6 different ones, the game looks good, but i cant play it, its a waste of time now even attempting it, if i could get on to play, who knows, i'd probably enjoy it, but i guess even tho i bought thewhen it says servers are available, they actually aren't, I've spent the better part of 3 hours trying to connect to available servers only for ea to say servers are not available, on at least 6 different ones, the game looks good, but i cant play it, its a waste of time now even attempting it, if i could get on to play, who knows, i'd probably enjoy it, but i guess even tho i bought the game we shall never know if its any good, money thrown away buying this. Expand
  69. Mar 9, 2013
    Well what's left to say? EA doing it again and deserves the ****
    Every game EA touches becomes an fortunately i didn't buy this piece of ****.

It's over EA is finished
  70. Mar 9, 2013
    Is this a scam game?

My wife bought this game for me as a birthday present, but it does not work!

I can't get into game because there is some sort of queue. I can't turn off multiplayer, I just want to play single player! WHY I NEED TO WAIT?
  71. Mar 9, 2013
    This game requires constant internet access, even though there is a single player element. The game is totally unreliable to play, you could get knocked off at any time. It is a joke.

EA are the worst publishing company in the universe.
  72. Mar 9, 2013
    I want my money back....
    This game is not worth the bit it takes to throw it around in cyberspace server connection in a single player game is a joke. Graphics is way below standards of the average 2003 game (yes correct...2003 not 2013). The atmosphere that has been a trademark in the earlier versions of this game is all but gone. Why, why, why did I ever by this piece of junk????
  73. Mar 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nipaigrat`!!!111 Lamal vseh v anal! EA nubyi suka, vashu papu, deda! Vse plohom igra crutaya, no servera huynya, ya vas shatal vseh!!!111 nipaigrat`!!! Ad vas zhdet!!! Expand
  74. Mar 9, 2013
    Broken Game, Missing Features, Always On DRM, Generally Awful.

Another game EA truly got it's hands on. I'm honestly not surprised that EA has managed to turn a game which was highly anticipated and could have been game of the year into a pile of smoldering garbage.
  75. Mar 9, 2013
    This is the most useless game I've ever seen. Ontop of the servers being down since launch a worse debacle since Dialbo3 the game wouldn't even work anyway. Forcing people to have an ALWAYS on internet connection to play a single player offline mode is about as pointless as having three forks in one had trying to eat a meal.
  76. Mar 9, 2013
    At some point they'll turn the servers off and it won't be possible to play ever again. Not that it's possible to play now... I'd recommend buying an old used copy of Sim City 4 instead. Or an old copy of Civ.
  77. Mar 9, 2013
    Sim City was based on two things when I was growing up. 1) the ability to create huge sprawling cities (enter cheats, create disasters, etc) and 2) to run the game on cheetah if you did not cheat and allow you to accumulate money. EA has completely blundered at recreating any nostalgia for people that grew up playing Sim City. I do not mind playing on servers, if the servers are adequateSim City was based on two things when I was growing up. 1) the ability to create huge sprawling cities (enter cheats, create disasters, etc) and 2) to run the game on cheetah if you did not cheat and allow you to accumulate money. EA has completely blundered at recreating any nostalgia for people that grew up playing Sim City. I do not mind playing on servers, if the servers are adequate and allow for all of the game to be played. I looked forward to playing many hours of this game. Now, I have friends that have lost cities due to the server inconsistency. Then, because EA wanted this to be a multiplayer game because the city size is not large enough for single player.I had a useless region with half of the cities corrupt because of server issues. EA I have owned many of games and I can say that this is the game that broke the back for the company. I will no longer be purchasing EA titles. Goodbye Madden, NCAA, Tiger Woods, et al. Expand
  78. Mar 9, 2013
    This always on DRM limits the usability of games in ridiculous ways. Gone is the ability to play this game on a road trip, during a long layover, in a hotel on vacation, or anywhere else you might not have an always on connection. But what scares me even more is how blatantly the DRM proclaims you aren't buying the game, you're only renting it. This DRM means you can only play this game asThis always on DRM limits the usability of games in ridiculous ways. Gone is the ability to play this game on a road trip, during a long layover, in a hotel on vacation, or anywhere else you might not have an always on connection. But what scares me even more is how blatantly the DRM proclaims you aren't buying the game, you're only renting it. This DRM means you can only play this game as long as EA allows you to and they can pull that permission any time they want to. As soon as EA decides it isn't worth it to maintain the servers necessary to play, the game you paid $60 for becomes absolutely useless. And I know this review hasn't touched on the actual game play but it's very difficult to review something that you can't play because of the stupid DRM. Expand
  79. Mar 9, 2013
    While the game looks great, it is not satisfying in the way its predecessors were. My biggest complaints include the city plot size (which is confusingly small), and lack of terraforming. I want to create a large customized city as in Simcity 4, and I'm stuck with building villages on cookie cutter terrain. Massive disappointment.
  80. Mar 9, 2013
    DRM aside (which I don't support but can live with) this game is not what you'd expect from the the creators of simcity 4. I first actually got to play 2 days after purchase due to server issues but what I found is a game that is better suited for Facebook, I have little creativity in city creation and I have to start where they pre determine my highway connection is. The city I createDRM aside (which I don't support but can live with) this game is not what you'd expect from the the creators of simcity 4. I first actually got to play 2 days after purchase due to server issues but what I found is a game that is better suited for Facebook, I have little creativity in city creation and I have to start where they pre determine my highway connection is. The city I create very very quickly fills its boarders and the topography is non adjustable which wouldn't be so bad of the game wasn't 2km by 2km, I mean come on I want an in depth opportunity to be the creative city building nerd I always dreamed of but I find myself much more satisfied with building in tropico than this game and they don't even have a sewer system to build or subways.... Oh wait neither does simcity 5 Expand
  81. Mar 9, 2013
    Pathetic. Refusal to refund money when they breach their end of the contract. Threatening people with bans if they argue about wanting their money back. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM EA or MAXIS. FORCED ONLINE DRM is ANTI-AMERICAN and ANTI-GAMER! do not buy or use this product. Wait until it is hacked and put up online then get it for free and play it at will on YOUR computer when YOU want to!
  82. Mar 9, 2013
    I think GameSpot's review of this game says it best. This is a 5/10 game at best. I'm going to give it a 3. Don't get me wrong, over the next year I'm sure they'll sort out some of the issues, but in it's current state, it never should have been put in sale.

Once I heard about the always online requirement, I knew this game would be a wreck. Server issues aside, there are serious design flaws and limitations around single player play. Even when you give in to the "social" aspect that was created to justify the always online DRM, you find loads of bugs that prevent you from working with others, allow others to wreck your cities, or even cause you to lose your city entirely. The level of frustration and disappointment is unbelievable.

At the core, SimCity does some things better than ever, but it rarely works long enough for you to tell. In the end, it lacks the size, scale and features of previous versions, and spends most of it's time frustrating you.
  83. Mar 9, 2013
    DRM Is a Part of the game, and good game journalist's scores should reflect that. As should the always On experience be reflected in the games score.

Hopefully gamers will now know not to trust scores from people who do not take both of these into consideration. If you cannot play a single player game single player at launch for any reason, the game is not worth the time of day nor

If you cannot play a single player game single player at launch for any reason, the game is not worth the time of day nor your money.
  84. Mar 9, 2013
    Wow this "Always Online" nonsense completely wrecked this game to the point where we can't even play it. And in an attempt to fix the problems they actually disable many of the games features. lol I already did a chargeback to get my money and I will not be buying another EA game until they stop doing this nonsense. If you buy a single-player game then you should be able to freaking playWow this "Always Online" nonsense completely wrecked this game to the point where we can't even play it. And in an attempt to fix the problems they actually disable many of the games features. lol I already did a chargeback to get my money and I will not be buying another EA game until they stop doing this nonsense. If you buy a single-player game then you should be able to freaking play it OFFLINE! This is just one of the many reasons why I think we're going to see another gaming industry crash... Companies are just getting out of control with all of the ridiculous decisions. Expand
  85. Mar 9, 2013
    Server overload can be a bummer when you try to play the new SimCity, along with the myriad of different bugs that will probably break most complex cities on their attempt to succeed.
  86. Mar 9, 2013
    The game is fine, I mean, it works for the most part. The layout is bad, control over the cities is limited. City size is too small. It has crashed 2 times. Certainly not worth $80. Maybe worth $25. This is the last time I will ever pre-order a game. I think I will go back to sim city 4.
  87. Mar 9, 2013
    Haven't been able to play at least half the time I've wanted to because the servers were down. These issues they are having are well known and have been solved by tons of other companies. Incompetent developers spoiling an amazing series.
  88. Mar 9, 2013
    Damn online DRM I hate you When you bought the game and play it at once you will find the server error will make you mad Just like Diablo 3 ,I think it's not worse to preorder for the game Just wait to the discount
  89. Mar 9, 2013
    There are many reasons why I think Maxis and EA have ruined simcity for me. First, server issues, I (and lots of other people) would much rather play simcity as a single player game. They force us to always be connect to their servers to play, not a deal breaker for me but when their servers can't handle the traffic it is. Next the game itself, they removed some of the best features fromThere are many reasons why I think Maxis and EA have ruined simcity for me. First, server issues, I (and lots of other people) would much rather play simcity as a single player game. They force us to always be connect to their servers to play, not a deal breaker for me but when their servers can't handle the traffic it is. Next the game itself, they removed some of the best features from previous simcity games, you can't create your own regions or cities and terraform the land, making hills and rivers ect. The size of the cities is ridiculously small, the whole city can be filled up in an hour, so you have to choose what to demolish to continue building.
    Also there are very limited public transportation options, I'm sure they will have DLC with more in the future, but for the price of the game, more options should have been included. One of my favorite features of SC4 was that it allowed modding, the community created some amazing mods for the game, that's why it has been around and popular for over 10 years. I'm also worried about money hungry EA and their "micro-transactions", what happened to expansion packs, rush hour was awesome and totally worth it. I guess for now I'll just have to stick with SC4 until Civitas (moddable, DRM free, city simulator on kickstarter) is funded and released.
  90. Mar 9, 2013
    The New Coke of computer gaming. Suck on this rating EA. Let this be a message to all the other game companies that try to overreach with DRM and online connection requirements for a single player game. Even without the DRM and server issues, who wants to play simCity with only small maps? Who the hell is making decisions over there? We thought we were getting SimCity and we getThe New Coke of computer gaming. Suck on this rating EA. Let this be a message to all the other game companies that try to overreach with DRM and online connection requirements for a single player game. Even without the DRM and server issues, who wants to play simCity with only small maps? Who the hell is making decisions over there? We thought we were getting SimCity and we get farmville for $60. Video gaming does not have to be a social activity. Especially a game like this. Expand
  91. Mar 9, 2013
    Where to start. Always online, small maps, frustrating game play, inability to control saves. Inability to alter the landscape. Make a mistake and you will have to basically start over. I built a high school and it didn't show up except for a little access road that I can't delete now. Building roads is so frustrating. Upgrading placed buildings is a great concept, but they require spaceWhere to start. Always online, small maps, frustrating game play, inability to control saves. Inability to alter the landscape. Make a mistake and you will have to basically start over. I built a high school and it didn't show up except for a little access road that I can't delete now. Building roads is so frustrating. Upgrading placed buildings is a great concept, but they require space outside their footprint, which F's up your entire layout. And the map, the tiny little city size I filled it up in a couple hours, and now just sit and watch as it progresses. This game would be great if they had just improved the deficiencies of the last Sim City game without dumbing down the parts that made it challenging. A complete and utter disappointment on so many levels. I waited for over 10 years for this game and they ruined it. Any of the "professionals" who gave this a 10 are either high, stupid, or just easily entertained. Farmville was more challenging. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! If you must own it, wait a week, they will selling used for 10 bucks. I think I will use mine for a coaster. Expand
  92. Mar 9, 2013
    Is sad how Electronic Arts DRM, and servers removed the fun for such a good game, I wanted to play while I was offline in my free time and got surprised when I wasn't allowed to play and when I got online the servers where down EA has lost a user today the only good thing about this is that I got my money back
  93. Mar 10, 2013
    What can I say, EA is absolutely the worst publisher of all time, has no business ethics, bribes critics for inflated review score, cash driven who cares nothing about the quality of its game, how many more series that we love and enjoy will have to be ruined by EA before players realize that EA is nothing but a pile of dog and stop patronizing their atrocities?
  94. Mar 10, 2013
    I'll adjust my rating once offline mode got added to the game. Currently it's unplayable and way too small. I did expect a lot more from this franchise.
  95. Mar 10, 2013
    Bought the game before it was released. HUGE MISTAKE. Have been having lots of problems to even start a game, when I eventually did I lost all progress because it wasn't saved properly.

EA tries to sell it as a "multiplayer" game, but its clearly a single player with just a few limited (and completely unecessary) interaction between cities. Clearly a poor excuse to get you eat the whole huge DRM.

Tired of stupid game companies forcing you to deal with even more stupid DRMs? Then DO NOT buy this game. I'm asking for a refund, that's the only way these guys will ever stop treating us like idiots.
  96. Mar 10, 2013
    Worst server/drm problems ever! This game just became a scam and i demand refund for every victim that bought this game. Stick that free game up ur @ss
  97. Mar 10, 2013
    I bougth it days ago and i just cant play. EA shlound remove that unfair DRM. This just affect to legal consumers like me. Meanwhile, the pirates are playing as they want. Sorry for my bad english. See you around.
  98. Mar 10, 2013
    On Sunday this game is STILL massively broken, and there is little hope it will EVER be fixed. The reason being, is that the problems are fundamental DESIGN decisions that broke this game and unless EA decides to go against those DESIGN decisions that massive amount of players have been rightfully criticizing for MONTHS are finally listened to and heeded, this game will be referenced asOn Sunday this game is STILL massively broken, and there is little hope it will EVER be fixed. The reason being, is that the problems are fundamental DESIGN decisions that broke this game and unless EA decides to go against those DESIGN decisions that massive amount of players have been rightfully criticizing for MONTHS are finally listened to and heeded, this game will be referenced as THE screwup to reference for YEARS.

The online DRM is beyond idiotic. Morons keep stating, well ALL GAMES are like this at launch like this. WRONG. Even IF it HAPPENS fairly regularly, it shows complete INCOMPETENCE to allow it to happen AT ALL. They KNOW how many preorders occur, they can tell in REAL TIME how many people are buying it and extrapolate how many servers they should need. But it goes beyond this farcical rationale of allowing the shaft up ones butt to say 'this is normal'. It's not normal, SimCity is a game that DOESN'T NEED online anything. Now, if they WANT to OFFER multiplayer, FINE. In fact it would be a PLUS to OFFER it. But NOT at the expense of forcing your customer, in a depression mind you, to put up with crap that they don't need to after paying. Single player should always be able to work OFFLINE. Period, end of story. There is NO legitimate rationale that beats this, and they made the game MORE EXPENSIVE to render it useless as such.

Additionally it makes the game MORE expensive to maintain, even MORE so then they obviously were expecting, which DOES mean that THIS game will have a short shelf life, as EA will pull the servers relatively quickly if they need 2-4-8x the amount of servers 'necessary' to play the game, even though the whole process was UNNECESSARY to begin with. A single player game should not be rendered unplayable on day 1 or year 2 or 3 because the servers are offline. Though even if they had a five year plan, does it now become 2 or 3 because they need to run all these extra servers? Given EA's track record, that's almost assuredly YES.

Now what's the 2nd most debilitating aspect of this game? THE SAVES. We've had hard drives available to us since the 1980's. There simply is NO REASON to make it a cloud only save system. It's a big middle finger to ALL of us. Already I've had THREE CITIES, including one this morning Sunday, March 10th that cannot be loaded. Oh it's registering that it was lucky enough to be saved as it's showing up in resume, this time, but it simply won't load. Again, this is ANOTHER unnecessary DESIGN decision. One they need to give up on, and one if they WANTED TO, could be done in a single day. Not hard to develop a save system. Simple as pie. Why don't they? BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO BE ABLE TO.

Even IF it worked, it takes AWAY your ability to take cities different directions. To try some stuff out and decide whether or not you made a mistake without having to start a brand new city. Disasters? Well hey one of the major fun times of Sim City is the ability to save something, and destroy the hell out of it with disasters, and then reload it and it's good as new. Nevermore. Because of a DESIGN decision.

So this game doesn't JUST have issues that are 'normal' for online only games, it's a single player game that has problems at launch which are completely unforgivable AND the problems overall with these design decisions won't go away with simply more servers. They neuter the game throughout the gameplay, add unnecessary reliability issues, and will shorten the games life, guaranteed.

Then I can go with the FACT that these cities are absolutely TINY. You used to be able to have 30 huge megalopolises to now 15 or so tiny neighborhoods? Quite a few features have been removed too, but I can understand some change on that front, but the size of cities is simply unforgivable. The city size is also most likely due to NETWORK ability to handle them, with perhaps some issues with power of ones PC. Don't listen to the morons who are scoring this well. They simply don't have the tools to understand the whole breadth of the situation. If they can get full on crackers and call it a meal, good for them, but it is by definition, not an all-you-can-eat. This game has MAJOR problems, and more servers will not solve them. Only a proper patch that EA must have a mea culpa on to change some of these design decisions will salvage this game. One that I do not believe EA has the balls or customer appreciation to engage in. Allow people to save their games on THEIR system and control that. Allow them to play offline so that if servers go down, either through errors or eventual discontinuance, people can still play their games. After this address the city sizes, as most likely it IS the network aspect that helped limit their sizes. So once you remove that, and realize there are plenty of people that can play larger maps, there simply is NO REASON to limit their city size in the way they have.
  99. Mar 11, 2013
    It's sad to see a great game series like Sim City die at the hands of EA, the wonderful title was again used as an electric boogaloo to milk money off Sim city fans. Having started playing the Sim City series from 2000 it really breaks my heart to see a sequel being put together so halfheartedly. I have nothing to say.

Bye sim city
  100. Mar 11, 2013
    I purchased this game to play it, and after 4 days of constantly trying, I don't even have any interest in the game. They charge Australians nearly DOUBLE what the rest of the world pays, then put two Oceanic servers in America, which are never actually available! Do yourself a favour and don't bother.
  101. Mar 11, 2013
    Always online DRM for what's essentially a single-player experience. Please Gamers, vote with your money. Stop providing EA sales figures that their executives use to justify continued anti-consumerist practices. There are lots of fine, gamer-friendly, indie games out therefor you to spend your time and money on. Don't forget, EA turned off server support for Madden and FIfa 2011 already.Always online DRM for what's essentially a single-player experience. Please Gamers, vote with your money. Stop providing EA sales figures that their executives use to justify continued anti-consumerist practices. There are lots of fine, gamer-friendly, indie games out therefor you to spend your time and money on. Don't forget, EA turned off server support for Madden and FIfa 2011 already. Those games are only 2.5 years old and have lost their online support. EA is quite willing to shutdown servers for their games to force you to buy newer versions. What happens when SimCity's servers are shutdown in a few years? You won't be able to play a game that you bought. Actually, strike that. You didn't purchase a game. You purchased a service from EA. A terrible one at that. Can you imagine any other service that's so intrusive and shoddy? I wouldn't pay for it. Collapse

Given enough patches and DCLs, SimCity might eventually become the game that should have been on its release and justify the ambiguous choices that its developers made. [May 2013]
  2. May 9, 2013
    Hints at great things but is limited by small cities and promises it can't deliver on. [June 2013, p.80]
  3. May 9, 2013
    There's more problems with this game than I have words. Looks great though. [June 2013, p.80]