7.2

1. Dec 12, 2012
    Absolutely top of the class. I'm not a dedicated Shmup player, but as a true lover of games like Zero Gunner, Ikaruga etc. this game picks up where those leave off. . .It innovates, it challenges and has awesome replayability. Hands down the prettiest Shmup I've ever played. The music is great, the controls are tight (I played it with a 360 controller) . . .and the first shooter in memory to include a story, and a good one at that! Expand
  2. Jun 28, 2014
    stylish, extremely beautiful, fair and yet difficult as hell. The only downside might be the use of anthopomorphic animal characters - some like it, some hate it and most don t care if the game is good. because it does everything right - well, and also cause there is rather little competition in that genre on pc these days, a clear 10/10 from me.

can't help but feel that this world and
    storyline - and especially the art style would have made a much better role playing game like fallout than a shoot em up, but that's just me hoping for a diesel punk open world RPG one day. Expand
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    This is a game I am often glad to have in my steam library. I only paid $3 for it, and it is still a steal at the $10 it costs when it isn't on special. I would heavily recommend the free demo, as it shows you exactly what you are in for if you choose to buy.

The visuals are the best part of this game. The menu GUI is clean and pragmatic, and in the game GUI is very easy to get
    information from at a glance, while not being intrusive during the tense firefights. Every level is completely unique, and beautiful in their own way. The backgrounds are stellar and varied, the enemy design looks great, and the bosses... The bosses are huge, gorgeous killing machines, and every single one of them look like they could be a final encounter.

The sound is also magnificent. The music is a low key, minimal style techno, that isn't memorable, but lets you fall into exactly the right kind of trance you need to be in, in a bullet hell like this one. All of the sound effects are exactly what they should be, and I have zero complaints in the audio department.

The gameplay is what makes or breaks a game like this one, and Digital Reality made a ballsy move, replacing health with time. instead of taking damage, every time you are hit, you lose a few precious seconds, and a couple of your accumulated firepower powerups will be knocked out of you. (These can be picked back up, but can easily lead to being hit again, if you aren't very careful). Fortunately, the time mechanic works like a charm. It is balanced well. I never ran out of time while I felt like I was doing well, and ran out when I felt like I deserved it. The game gets very hard, very quickly, but this is smoothed out by the controls being incredibly tight, a well implemented time-slowing mechanic, and all of the levels being an absolute blast to play though.

There is a story to this game, which is actually pretty good, with MUCH better translation than I would ever expect from a shmup, but it is all easily skipped over if all you are interested in is the gameplay. It actually causes a little bit of dissonance, having have a solid story in such a mechanics driven game, but this is more of an observation than a complaint.

I have a single gripe with this game, but it is very minor. Every once and a while, there are levels that require navigation through caves or structures, and it can feel like a bit of a slog, when fast paced bullet hell is replaced with slow moving wall avoiding. If not for these levels, I would have given this game a ten. It serves to vary the experience a bit, but it just isn't worth it in a game that is already so rich in it's other facets.

I recommend this game to any fans of the genre, but I would recommend this game even more to those who aren't. Like most great games, it is very easy to learn, and very hard to master. This game does an excellent job at teaching it's mechanics, and while this game may be difficult, it is very fair.
  4. Nov 12, 2012
    Sine Mora is a horizontal side-scrolling shooter in the vein of classics like Gradius and R-type - something we need a lot more of on PC these days (they're fun, have nostalgia factor for a lot of fans and don't require massive budgets and development teams). So I was delighted to see the vids for Sine More on the Steam website and knew early that I was at least gonna give it a try.
    Cut
    to today - three days after buying it and playing it a lot - and I'm not disappointed. On my i7-920 with a GTX 580, this game looks amazing and plays butter-smooth. Just make sure you're playing with a control pad, though. Like a lot of games these days, this one seems tailor-made for playing with an Xbox controller.
    As I said, the game looks amazing, but it's not something that ought to tax most reasonable rigs. The main reason it looks so good is the colour palette and the slightly cutesy and whimsical designs. The art really is excellent, though I felt the front-end/menu system felt like it belonged in a different game entirely. The stark white background and falling black feathers felt like something better suited to a slightly gloomy JRPG.
    Sound is good throughout, though none of the music will grab you. The SFX are spot on and help you get into the shooting action. The language spoken by the characters really threw me, however. The voice-over made it very difficult to read the story (presented in pages of static text between levels). I'm not against voice-overs in languages other than English or Japanese, but trying to read a fair amount of English text while someone speaks over it in what I'm guessing is perhaps Hungarian, was strangely difficult.
    That brings me to what I think is the games biggest downfall - the story.
    Those pages of static text are there to cover loading times, but I really with they weren't. The story is so grim and depressing that it really has no place in a colourful shooter like this. I was pretty surprised, and not in a good way at all, to read in-game about one of the characters being raped. The rape victim happens to be a great pilot and is subsequently coerced against her will into service by another character - an embittered father who has lost both of his legs. Geez.
    That rape sets the writer up for a horrible use of the pun 'wormed his way into' shortly afterwards.
    It doesn't stop there, though. Later in the story, we read about an entire underclass of people being physically disabled by their enslavers. They have all their senses permanently crippled so they can hardly even interact with the world around them anymore.
    This is all far too heavy and grim for a cute shooter with chubby airplane designs. It's a ridiculous mismatch and, for me, really brings the game down. This otherwise fun and furious shooter just didn't need this double-shot of depression at all. I no longer read the static text - I'm not interested in whatever disturbing atrocities the Hungarian writer wants to force on gamers' imaginations next. I'm here for the shoot-em-up action only, thanks.
    And in that, fortunately, Sine Mora really does deliver. Boss battles can be intense, but the game is forgiving enough that you rarely die outright from a single mistake. Instead of an energy bar or lives, you have a clock which you must add time to by shooting enemies. And the power-up system, though pretty bare-bones, works well enough to make upgrading your main guns a big part of the fun.
    It's worth mentioning a little feature that stood out from other shooters, too: if you press a certain button, you can rapidly speed up in-game cut-scenes, meaning to can get back to the shooting action all the sooner. This made me think, however, that the great thing about the old classics was how little they relied on extraneous bells and whistles. R-type and Gradius didn't need static pages of story-telling or swooping, cinematic fly-bys where the player is not in control. Things were a bit better when, between levels, we only got a few seconds to breathe and shake off our thumbs before hitting the Bydo Empire again.
    All in all, though, if you like old-school side-scrolling shooters with up-to-date graphics, you'll love Sine Mora.
    Just bypass the misguided story elements if you can.

Unless they want something more soothing and relaxing, Sine More will be mostly cherished by hardcore gamers that will lose their sleep trying to reach the top of the leader-boards. [January 2013]
    Modern and catchy shoot'em up excels in almost every aspect. If they added a longer story line Sine Mora would be flawless. [Jan 2013]
  3. Dec 30, 2012
    Beautiful to look at, challenging to master, over in the blink of an eye. [Jan 2013, p.84]