Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion PC

7.9

1. Jun 13, 2012
    Rebellion takes the Sins series several steps further by adding new ships, techs and factions, and an improved diplomacy function. The AI has been beefed up as well, and is generally competent at even the lowest difficulty levels (hey, don't judge!). That being said, the $40 price tag is a bit hefty if you already have the other games in the series.
  2. Jun 16, 2012
    As people have said, Sins Rebellion is a perfect entry point for newcomers into an amazing series. This is my first Sins game and I absolutely love it. The grand scale of combat is pretty epic to behold and take part in.

Apparently this standalone expansion doesn't actually offer too much new content, it just refines the older games. However, if you look at the game by itself, there is nothing quite like it.
  3. Aug 15, 2012
    A solid rts, good AI accessible gameplay coupled with strong graphics and sound make this one of the rare good 4X games not bogged down with a terrible launch or followup support.
  4. Sep 22, 2012
    The game is absolutely gorgeus, and is the best space RTS ever. Seriously, I haven't played one that better emulates a 4X experience. It's surprisingly addictive, very well done and gone are the flaws that marred its beauty in previous installments (see pirates). I am a very big fan of the series. The only issue I have with it is the fact it is a bit overpriced for someone who already hasThe game is absolutely gorgeus, and is the best space RTS ever. Seriously, I haven't played one that better emulates a 4X experience. It's surprisingly addictive, very well done and gone are the flaws that marred its beauty in previous installments (see pirates). I am a very big fan of the series. The only issue I have with it is the fact it is a bit overpriced for someone who already has Trinity. But if you never played Sins before, it is the best experience. Expand
  5. Jun 16, 2012
    Rebellion takes a step further into making an already great game into an even greater experience. The splintering of each race add additional technologies and the Titans bring a whole new level of power as well.
    The AI has also improved and is much more lively.
    The AI has also improved and is much more lively.
    If you haven`t been able to try out Sins of a Solar Empire yet, this is the perfect entry point, although the price may be saulty for a standalone expansion...
  6. Jun 5, 2013
    Since I bought this game on Steam at a discounted price of USD 13+/-, I cannot discuss this matter based on money matters. Aside from that, the game is generally fun to play. Once I bought it, I was completely bemused towards how to play it, making the game slightly dull and depressing at first. However, after gaining experience and understanding how the game works, it was fantastic. ShipsSince I bought this game on Steam at a discounted price of USD 13+/-, I cannot discuss this matter based on money matters. Aside from that, the game is generally fun to play. Once I bought it, I was completely bemused towards how to play it, making the game slightly dull and depressing at first. However, after gaining experience and understanding how the game works, it was fantastic. Ships of great variety and the picturesque background makes the game consistently attractive in graphics and design. The combat fighting may be slightly dull at times, but with massive battalions of larger ships and things, it will be fun to play.

The only downside I have, would be the duration to complete the game. It would literally take me a few days just to complete a match with 13 or more planets. It may be my inexperience, but I believe many people would feel the same way sometimes. But I really can't complain about duration if the fun is consistently being kept at a high level.

It would be hard for me to sit down patiently and play a game that could last more than 8 hours, but that's just me. Hence the game deserves my 8. I was also amazed at the community mods, making the game far more interesting as well.
  7. May 1, 2014
    EXCELLENT GAME. Back on 2010 I found the first version of Sins of a solar empire in a target for 10 bucks. I bought the game thinking it would be just another one of those crappy made strategy games out there. Happily I was wrong, and this is by far my favorite game of all time. Starting and practicing on the first, to eventually buying trinity and then to rebellion Ive found thatEXCELLENT GAME. Back on 2010 I found the first version of Sins of a solar empire in a target for 10 bucks. I bought the game thinking it would be just another one of those crappy made strategy games out there. Happily I was wrong, and this is by far my favorite game of all time. Starting and practicing on the first, to eventually buying trinity and then to rebellion Ive found that Rebellion is by far the best in the series and in my opinion the best strategy game Ive ever played. The abilities and power the gamer gets in this game is amazing and extremely addicting. Th game is very intensive too. Its taken me 4 years to get moderately good tactics and skill with SOASE. Rebellions great however I really hope they add even more capital ships and maybe even factions along the way. High praises to Stardock and Ironclad! Expand
  8. Jan 27, 2016
    500 heures de jeu....que dire de plus?!!!!............................................................................................................
  9. Aug 9, 2012
    This game offers a lot more tactical depth then what you'd expect from from a real-time version of popular turn-based 4X games. With an enormous tech tree, a flexible - well designed diplomatic system and 6 factions (3x2) that play very differently this game offers more than enough content to keep you occupied for months (given the sky-high replay value and dozen hour-long matches)
    While
    While reading the negative reviews i came to realize that they mostly cover the following:
    -the "expansion" hasn't got enough new content (with which I highly disagree, besides, it's a standalone title)
    -Master of orion and Gal Civ are better (to people who say this: real-time strategies are obviously not your thing, no matter how much content they pack)

The game is as good as flawless when you look at it at a standalone viewpoint.
  10. Jun 19, 2012
    If you like strategy games, this is one of the best of all time, the combination of a real time gameplay and suberb graphic, make this title worth the investment.
  11. Jan 16, 2013
    Having never played the original, this gets a 10 from. Probably my favorite strategy game to date. Epic battles, tons of strategy, unique faction/race variations -- without being so different that each has its own learning curve.

I've been playing Homeworld 2 (Complex) for a couple years and this is what Homeworld was meant to be -- as much as I love the Homeworld games, they cannot come close to SoaSE!
  12. Jun 17, 2012
    While it is certain that owners of the original game may felt ripped off as they are required to buy what they already own for 40 dollar.
    It is a wonderful entry point for new players.In fact i felt there is a sufficient amout of new contents but They are spread evenly throighout many aspect so it kinda makes it feels thin.
  13. Jun 28, 2012
    Probably the best space strategy beside the nostalgic first part of homeworld.The only thing that i'm missing at this game is the story mode.Everything else is great
  14. Jun 12, 2012
    Excellent game in virtually all respects. Vast amounts of replay ability, no two games are ever the same. Graphics are excellent and an improvement on the original. Numerous additions such as Titans and the splitting of each race into 2 factions that have different styles of play adds depth. My only real complaint is that there are crash bugs that still need to be worked out, or I'd giveExcellent game in virtually all respects. Vast amounts of replay ability, no two games are ever the same. Graphics are excellent and an improvement on the original. Numerous additions such as Titans and the splitting of each race into 2 factions that have different styles of play adds depth. My only real complaint is that there are crash bugs that still need to be worked out, or I'd give it a 10. All in all, I highly recommend this game. Expand
  15. Sep 4, 2012
    More an expansion pack than a new game. The original was good, but years of polish and three expansion packs have made it much better. I wish I had not played the "beta" releases and only played the finished one.
  16. Jul 16, 2012
    Fantastic game, cannot recommending it enough. Perfect for what a stand-alone expansion should be. Great price, great multiplayer. Could not be recommended enough. The only 'negative' I can think of is that games can take upwards of 6 hours. But I quite enjoy that.
  17. Jun 21, 2012
    Yeah good game. I was a big fan of the original and played it for 60+ hours Single Player. I bought this to jump into the multiplayer action. The critics all said that it has enough new content to justify the REbellion Sins 2 version.

It is a lot like the other game in looks and style, but as a space sim RTS 4x, SoaSE sets the bar. Id give it a 9 or 10 if it was a lot different from the original. It is a good multiplayer game. The games dont last as long as I had thought. You can play a solid game on fast settings in 2 hours and not give up any of the SP feel.
  18. Jun 24, 2012
    Rebellion is a nice upgrade from the Trinity package. There are a few new ships and upgrades, which extend the gameplay; however, there are currently some balancing issues, which the devs are currently working on. Overall, the game is still awesome, and well worth picking up if you've never played SoaSE. For those previous owners complaining about the $40: Stardock offers a $10 discount toRebellion is a nice upgrade from the Trinity package. There are a few new ships and upgrades, which extend the gameplay; however, there are currently some balancing issues, which the devs are currently working on. Overall, the game is still awesome, and well worth picking up if you've never played SoaSE. For those previous owners complaining about the $40: Stardock offers a $10 discount to anyone who already bought SoaSE. Rebellion is actually an acceptable upgrade for $30, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. Expand
  19. Jul 15, 2013
    and 1 more thing to say is that u could but it with the price 13.59$ (-66% account)

those players keep talking about too expensive is ridiculous. Hope them will buy games wiser next time
  20. Jun 15, 2012
    Thankfully this is not like the buggy and disappointing "Sword of the Stars 2"....SoaSe Rebellion is by far the most polished and best Space combat RTS in the market for the time being. It may feel a bit dated since this is a standalone expansion of a 2008 game but still is by far one of the best of the genre for today standarts. The only thing that bothers me is that there is no CampaignThankfully this is not like the buggy and disappointing "Sword of the Stars 2"....SoaSe Rebellion is by far the most polished and best Space combat RTS in the market for the time being. It may feel a bit dated since this is a standalone expansion of a 2008 game but still is by far one of the best of the genre for today standarts. The only thing that bothers me is that there is no Campaign i would expected something more from just repetitive skirmishes.... Expand
  21. Jun 15, 2012
    There are numerous small, but well appreciated improvements. I wish that they would have given me a bit more command over how my ships form up and move, but so it goes. After pirating the first game in the series (sorry) I'm not particularly miffed by the $40 price tag.
  22. Jun 12, 2012
    Having garnered experience from the making of original Sins and its two minor expansions, Ironclad doesn't disappoint with this stand-alone expansion. And on that note, a word of warning: don't be fooled by the "expansion" label, for Rebellion is a bigger and better game than the three previous games in the series combined. With each of the original three unique civilizations (Vasari,Having garnered experience from the making of original Sins and its two minor expansions, Ironclad doesn't disappoint with this stand-alone expansion. And on that note, a word of warning: don't be fooled by the "expansion" label, for Rebellion is a bigger and better game than the three previous games in the series combined. With each of the original three unique civilizations (Vasari, Advent, TEC) divided into two rebelling factions, Rebellion provides more opportunities to hone and practice your tactical genius by using over a dozen different approaches and strategies with any of the six factions. Whether you want to become the greatest civilization through trade and diplomacy, cultural expansion, utter annihilation, mass colonization, concrete fortification or any other variety of tactics, this game promises you replay value by providing a degree of action, strategy and customization no other game offers. Days of playing time will accumulate as you choose a faction, earn resources, construct buildings, upgrade planets, research technology, build ships, colonize planets, forge alliances, conquer enemies and do whatever else it takes to dominate the star(s). Even those not privy to the RTS genre will find something to enjoy in this sci-fi deluxe--such as leveling up capital ships and the newly-added mighty titan, micromanaging a galactic economy or controlling dozens of ships in real-time combat. Expand
  23. Jun 21, 2012
    Some of you giving this game a low score for the price should be ashamed of yourselves. 39.99 is expensive, since when ??? I understand that it's just an expansion. These games hardly get any coverage or love these days so I will gladly spend 39.99 on it. I have wasted plenty of money on crap games and this is not one of them. Also this is for reviewing the game. If your unhappy about theSome of you giving this game a low score for the price should be ashamed of yourselves. 39.99 is expensive, since when ??? I understand that it's just an expansion. These games hardly get any coverage or love these days so I will gladly spend 39.99 on it. I have wasted plenty of money on crap games and this is not one of them. Also this is for reviewing the game. If your unhappy about the price go to their forums and let them know. It will probably have a reduced price very soon anyways. Expand
  24. Jun 15, 2012
    I personally love this game, I think it is a bit pricy at $40, but still, it is more stable, It adds plenty of new stuff to keep me interested, the titans are not all powerful, which is a good thing, and I love the new music.
  25. Jun 20, 2012
    I'm an old school gamer. I started with an Atari 2600 for Christmas in 1977 and I've been hooked ever sense. I fell in love with video games so much I make games for a living.

With that said, I am very critical of new games and I love this one. I am a big fan of the Home World series and have been looking for something like it for years. I have never played any of the previous releases so I can't make any comment on whats different with Rebellion. The artwork is very good and the game-play is excellent. I love the old-time slow paced RTS feel. My first round in single player lasted until daylight (I lost). As soon as Friday night gets here, I'll wait for the wife and kids to go to bed and I;lll sneak back down stairs for another all-nighter. (I'm going win this time dang-it)
  26. Jun 12, 2012
    I've been with this game since alpha testing and it's improved into the great dynamic game that it is right now. the graphics are improved and the new ship class of titan's make this more of a strategy game then ever before because of new tactics
  27. Jun 15, 2012
    This game is awesome. I bought Trinity when it came out (not on steam but impulse) and loved it. the only thing that sucks is that they didn't release it as DLC but standalone, thats just confusing and forces compatibility problems. in my opinion its just a way of moneymaking and the price of $40 ($30 when you already own a sins game and buy through stardock website) is way to much forThis game is awesome. I bought Trinity when it came out (not on steam but impulse) and loved it. the only thing that sucks is that they didn't release it as DLC but standalone, thats just confusing and forces compatibility problems. in my opinion its just a way of moneymaking and the price of $40 ($30 when you already own a sins game and buy through stardock website) is way to much for someone who ownes trinity already. for players who never played or owned sins before its just perfect and the price is even cheap. nevertheless the game is just great and i hope that it will attract a bigger fanbase since it was released through steam as well. whoever complains about feeling ripped off because they thought its a complete new game should learn to read before spending money. i mean you really have to have the money sitting to lose when you buy something without even getting some informations about it beforehand. and who buys it knowing what he gets and still is not happy because it is 'just' an expansion should be angry about him/herself... and even then it should be possible to get a refund. at least it was never a problem for me. Expand
  28. Jun 13, 2012
    Its Sins with more. What's not to like? Victory conditions bring goals (other than galactic domination) to the game. New factions changes up the feel to each race, while their varying techs make them even more diverse. The titans can turn a long game into a true marathon.
  29. Jun 30, 2012
    This expansion brought some much needed love to the SoaSE series, with some extra graphical filters/smoothers, new ships, new victory conditions, and a snazzy cgi trailer to boot. Still regrettable that the engine limitations are still present though.
  30. Oct 10, 2012
    I like the game, except the LAG in the middle of the game
    I don't think its a bug of the code, it uses only one core of the processor. I hope they fix this lag though
  31. Aug 24, 2013
    As a Strategy Game this one has it all: Pacing, depth, faction variations. There are trade-offs between military and civilian techs. Decent tutorials. Good graphics. Interesting combat. Complaints about the price of the game are now dated as this IS the game in its complete or fully-updated form. My only personal qualm is that the gameplay tends towards RTS, and is designed for multiplayerAs a Strategy Game this one has it all: Pacing, depth, faction variations. There are trade-offs between military and civilian techs. Decent tutorials. Good graphics. Interesting combat. Complaints about the price of the game are now dated as this IS the game in its complete or fully-updated form. My only personal qualm is that the gameplay tends towards RTS, and is designed for multiplayer play, which can be anxiety-inducing. I prefer the pause-and play format that gives one ample time to think, or even sleep on a move rather than forever force attention and decision making. Strategy games shouldn't be rushed. Rome was NOT built in a day.

32. Oct 26, 2012
    The pinnacle of hybrid RTS-TBS space games, the joy in figuring out good strategies will keep you coming back for more (so glad they patched that Vasari Titan). Pro-tip: this is not your typical 4x game, this game will reward players who have a plan and who execute it quickly! Spend, spend, spend unless you are saving for that titan! RTS players will feel right at home.
  33. Dec 26, 2012
    This is the single most fantastic 4X RTS I have played. The maps, ships, technologies, and AI are incredibly detailed, and the graphics are beautiful. A definite recommendation if you enjoy the space RTS genre.
  34. Dec 27, 2012
    Finally another RTS to spend hours building an empire. There are so many races, techs, structures and ships that your average beginner might not know where to start, but given lots of patience and practice it can provide endless hours of enjoyment.

Most other developers have lost touch with what an RTS is and as a result there are very few RTS about these days, but this one stands out. We need more real-time strategy games! What happened to the early days of C&C Red Alert and Rise of Nations?!
  35. Mar 9, 2013
    Decent Master of Orion and StarCraft successor. Master of Orion part (strategy of handling the multi-star galactic empire) is great. StarCraft part (tactics of spaceship battles) not so much. There's too much going on in the empire to command the ships manually, and I usually just leave it to AI (which does it well). Also, in StarCraft, you have hard rock-paper-scissors like stealth andDecent Master of Orion and StarCraft successor. Master of Orion part (strategy of handling the multi-star galactic empire) is great. StarCraft part (tactics of spaceship battles) not so much. There's too much going on in the empire to command the ships manually, and I usually just leave it to AI (which does it well). Also, in StarCraft, you have hard rock-paper-scissors like stealth and ground/air units, so you have to provide counters or lose regardless of amount of units. In this game everything can be soft-countered by everything, so you just need a huge fleet and you'll steamroll anything. You need, however, to create a successful economy to build that fleet. Overall, there's a decent depth to the game, and I suppose it's fun in multiplayer (if you are prepared to play for 5-6 hours). I definitely recommend to try it if you like Master of Orion. Expand
  36. Jun 22, 2016
    In July of 2013, an old friend presented me with a surprise gift of one of the most engrossing strategy games I've ever played. Though I had not played any of the previous incarnations of Sins, Rebellion a natural fit, and offered an amazing degree of depth and PC user-friendly options and extras, including the unparalleled boon of being able to save multi-player games for laterIn July of 2013, an old friend presented me with a surprise gift of one of the most engrossing strategy games I've ever played. Though I had not played any of the previous incarnations of Sins, Rebellion a natural fit, and offered an amazing degree of depth and PC user-friendly options and extras, including the unparalleled boon of being able to save multi-player games for later continuance. Though there is no story-driven campaign to speak of, skirmish play is great fun and moreso, co-op comp stomp with friends. With support for up to ten players in a game and map sizes varying from a single star system to a vast galactic expanse, a single match can offer many vigorous hours of gameplay. Each of the playable factions has a staggering array of mighty warships and combat abilities, but military conquest is but one path to victory. You can dominate through technological or economic superiority, or even seek the diplomatic path and achieve victory without firing a shot. A small handful of updates and DLCs add even more depth and variety to the events of a match. Expand
  37. Aug 19, 2012
    The new features definitely add more depth to the game and create distinctive play styles for most of the factions rather than having everyone be dependent on the same tactics and strategies, but there are definitely a lot of bugs and stability issues. The Vasari Loyalists for instance can blow up planets for resources leaving very little behind to be captured meaning you can justThe new features definitely add more depth to the game and create distinctive play styles for most of the factions rather than having everyone be dependent on the same tactics and strategies, but there are definitely a lot of bugs and stability issues. The Vasari Loyalists for instance can blow up planets for resources leaving very little behind to be captured meaning you can just steamroll across the galaxy tearing up planets as you go rather than trying to hold vast territories. Loyalist Advent have culture so powerful it can literally exterminate an enemy empire if used early on in the game. However, all of my saves on huge maps so far have ended up corrupted and the game still lacks multi-core support, so big space battles slow down the game.Overall, I really like where they're taking the direction of the additions, but I kinda feel like I got a half-finished game. Expand
  38. Dec 13, 2012
    Real-time 4X strategy with equally deep choices for warfare, diplomacy, and colonization. I haven't played since vanilla but the expansions have added tons onto the base game including: starbases (death stars that can effectively control uncolonizable sectors), "Titan" class ships, new research trees, restructured diplomacy, improved victory conditions, deeper piracy options, moreReal-time 4X strategy with equally deep choices for warfare, diplomacy, and colonization. I haven't played since vanilla but the expansions have added tons onto the base game including: starbases (death stars that can effectively control uncolonizable sectors), "Titan" class ships, new research trees, restructured diplomacy, improved victory conditions, deeper piracy options, more difficulty settings, tons of new maps and map sizes, and who knows what else I haven't discovered yet. Rebellion contains all the previous expansions and new content. I played vanilla Sins for hundreds of hours before it came out on Steam and probably will sink many more into this. I mean, it's basically Civ in space, you should really go play it. Expand
  39. Dec 8, 2012
    As a stand-alone expansion, i expected more. As a huge fan of the original Sins, I was expecting this game to leave it in its tracks. Especially when I saw the price tag. For the amount of money they're asking, I was hoping there would be a bit more content. The new UI is very nice and additional ships add a nice new layer of depth. However, it felt like that was it. Sure the graphics wereAs a stand-alone expansion, i expected more. As a huge fan of the original Sins, I was expecting this game to leave it in its tracks. Especially when I saw the price tag. For the amount of money they're asking, I was hoping there would be a bit more content. The new UI is very nice and additional ships add a nice new layer of depth. However, it felt like that was it. Sure the graphics were polished a bit and a couple other changes were made but the expansion felt like it was a bit shallow. You won't tell much of a difference between Trinity and Rebellion until a few hours into the game. But at that point, the gloves are off and Rebellion shows what its got. The division of each of the 3 factions works nicely and adds more variety to the games. The titans are real game-changers and so much fun. If you were a fan of Trinity and have the money to fork out for the expansion, do it. Expand
  40. Dec 29, 2012
    if you own trinity dont buy this unless its in a steam sale as the content it adds is too small to warrenty the price tag.

however if you are looking for a space rts and havent played sins before or didnt play the expansions then get this game.
  41. Mar 6, 2013
    If you buy this game, also buy a new, more comfortable chair, because you will be spending a lot of time on it as this game gets you hooked. I love playing strategy games, but I only like a certain few. This is one of them. I don't know of any other space strategy game that is even close to as good as this game. The graphics are good, but it's the scale that is amazing. Imagine C&CIf you buy this game, also buy a new, more comfortable chair, because you will be spending a lot of time on it as this game gets you hooked. I love playing strategy games, but I only like a certain few. This is one of them. I don't know of any other space strategy game that is even close to as good as this game. The graphics are good, but it's the scale that is amazing. Imagine C&C (the good ones), Total War, and Wargame: European Escalation all mixed into a space strategy game. In other words, pure awesomeness. By the way, the above mentioned games are cool, too. Expand
  42. Sep 6, 2013
    All in all, a very nice expansion to the original Sins. I would have liked to have seen some 3D graphic and GUI enhancements, but hey, the extra content is enough to make this game well worth it, and I've already spent hours engrossed in the new features, especially when you get the new Forbidden Worlds DLC. Recommending this to anyone looking for an upgrade to the original Sins.
  43. Sep 18, 2013
    I never played the original game and have only played this version so for me it's good. Games take a long time to set up and execute which means it's kind of limited in how often it can be played. A decent 4x RTS game but not turn based. Best on sale. I wouldn't pay $40 for this like people did. My biggest complaint would be it's pretty much just blob up your forces in to one bigI never played the original game and have only played this version so for me it's good. Games take a long time to set up and execute which means it's kind of limited in how often it can be played. A decent 4x RTS game but not turn based. Best on sale. I wouldn't pay $40 for this like people did. My biggest complaint would be it's pretty much just blob up your forces in to one big fleet and sweep the map but then I'm a newbie and have only played on lower difficulty settings with few opponents. Expand
  44. Oct 28, 2013
    This game is pretty epic. Never played Sins before, but I'm really having fun with it. Graphics are pretty sweet, but when you zoom in textures get a wee blurry. But that's alright given the massive scale of the game. You can dominate a map with ten planets or a hundred.

Only gripe I have is that normal difficulty is a joke, and when you bump it up to hard, the AI is good enough to dominate a new player. You will probably lose a few games before you can hold your own.

Once you get past that, it's pure space-fleet glory.
  45. Jul 23, 2013
    Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game for those who enjoy RTS or 4X style of games. Rebellion when found at a good price is an excellent expansion stand alone. The addition of Fractions change how enemies and players develop. The only drawbacks are the length of games and sever issues. Highly recommended anyone who plays RTS games give this a try.
  46. Aug 15, 2013
    As a newcomer to Stardock games I came with no real preconception of this game, apart from that on the surface it bore a vague resemblance to Eve online.

At first I thought, this is like Eve, only feels emptier, less visually striking. I struck up a game, after searching for the 'campaign' button from which to launch the story that would carry me through events leading... well, wherever. But there is no campaign. This is not a problem. You see, what 'Sins' does is strip away all the surplus and really get to grips with what makes a fantastic strategy game.

It was during my second playing of the game that something happened: I couldn't stop playing. It's like peeling an onion, only to cry a little more as another layer appears. It supplies something sadly lacking in many of the games I've played recently, depth. The controls/menus/UI are all deceptively simple, this just makes the game easy to play. Complexity comes from the myriad strategies possible from the many different options and tactics that can be employed as the game develops. Each game, I might add, feels unique. With a huge list of maps, options that can be tweaked on and off, and the ability to produce your own maps.

I'm only on my fifth game, yet each time I've started up a new game I've become even deeper immersed. It's great because you can save whenever you like, so you can play little by little or a lot at a time, it's up to you. And when you feel confident (I'm not there yet) it can be played with a live opponent/s! Huge potential for employing the diplomatic elements of the game.

I bought it for under £10 on steam, well worth the money. I expect it will go on to provide me a huge amount of satisfaction way beyond when other, more visual games have long fallen by the wayside. It probably won't be for those who prefer fast games which give you a rush, games with graphics that demand only the best, most beefy computer or who enjoy a more story based experience. If you have patience, like quiet, unassuming complexity, enjoy working out how best to manage the long term development of an expanding intergalactic empire, then you'll most likely love it!
  47. Oct 10, 2013
    It is a nice game, and I got it from steam during promotion, consider worth it since I only paid 34% of the original price i know not the best deal)

very nice and epic battle and can company the player for whole day

only bad point is game tend to last very long so it is not multiplayer friendly
  48. Nov 2, 2013
    Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion is one of the best RTS games I have ever played. Epic battles, tones of strategy, and distinct faction variations allow for a unique play experience. Even though I have had no experience with the Sins series before this game, I have found the game interface easy to learn and use, despite it's surprising complexity. This game offers many hours of playtime,Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion is one of the best RTS games I have ever played. Epic battles, tones of strategy, and distinct faction variations allow for a unique play experience. Even though I have had no experience with the Sins series before this game, I have found the game interface easy to learn and use, despite it's surprising complexity. This game offers many hours of playtime, and will keep you glued to the screen. I got this game on Steam over the summer sale, so it was only ten bucks. So in conclusion, Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game for those looking for a space based RTS theme. Expand
  49. NLS
    Jan 21, 2014
    Yes more of the same indeed. So?
    You have a working recipe and you add a few more carefully balanced ingredients. Fine by me.
    Much better than forgetting your success story and trying to feed your fan base with cr*p (X3 vs X:R comes to mind).
    SoaSE:R is one of the best games of its genre. You should own it.
  50. Dec 14, 2014
    I think this is one of the best Real Time Strategy games out there. It is fast paced, or pausable if you are in single player or in a coop game so you can give commands to your units at whatever rate you want. Although the graphics are only slightly different than the original, the gameplay is more fun with the inclusion of Titans.
  51. Jul 14, 2015
    fantastic 4x game with many ships, factions, and stuff that brings it from decent to epic not to mention huge skill trees and other RPG elements. highly recommended, although i bought it at a discount on steam.
  52. Jan 31, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Talk about a bestseller franchise, I not only bought the vanilla Sins of a Solar Empire, but I bought not one, not two, but four copies of this game to my "steam" buddies. This game has a pretty impressive polish and can even run on medium graphics on a modern TK-42 model, and let me tell you how much "fun" this can get with the scale of the game. This is not a good game for RTS amateurs who never heard of 4X RTS games or people who generally like to see fast paced action on screen.

The game is not as in dept as some of its former competitors, and I admit that the space battles are nothing but a fancy light show where the ships have a stationary combat formation with only one objective of draining both shields and health bars. Nothing special about this franchise as I have a sort of favoritism towards the engines capabilities and super effective use of computer resources. Let's say this is the game to go with if you don't have any dedicated gamers PC. Its sound, never crashed on me before like the trashy triple A games (which generally means nothing to me at this point).

The art style for space pirates is the perfect classic imagine with green torches and "Screw shields, we got the best armor in the universe" Attitude that can be annoying harassment early game if you don't have credits to spare in the bounty system. To this day I was disappointment there was no pirate faction added as the ships designs looked better then the boring tech architecture.

Then you got the micro expansions (This may be the hell spawn where the very first DLC's on earth spawned) all rolled into the package with only titans and a slap to the face to people who already invested in those micro expansions. Needless to say it does not apply as much anymore as most of you already read the first reviews.

From the amount of hours I spent into it, and that I am still impressed with what this game has to offer for a price, I say go get it if you like slower paced galactic space combat 4X strategy games. I don't have any regrets getting this for myself and everybody else.
  53. Jul 5, 2017
    Absolutely love it. Nice audio, excellent soundtrack, easy controls and of course, perfect game-play. Sadly no campaign, problems with performance when there's many ships, and not a perfect AI. Still have spent hundreds of hours in it. May it have a continuation.
  54. Feb 18, 2017
    Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion incorporates all the outstanding aspects of the previous games in the series and abolishes most of its past flaws. Although $40 is a steep price, the game is worth its weight in gold if you enjoy 4X and grand strategy games that are dynamic and offer endless hours of entertainment. The DLC adds some flare and more strategic options to the mix. I have playedSins of a Solar Empire Rebellion incorporates all the outstanding aspects of the previous games in the series and abolishes most of its past flaws. Although $40 is a steep price, the game is worth its weight in gold if you enjoy 4X and grand strategy games that are dynamic and offer endless hours of entertainment. The DLC adds some flare and more strategic options to the mix. I have played every Sins of a Solar Empire since the first one was released back in 2008 and I assure you this is by far the best installment in the series.

Pros:

Enormous space battles – Upwards of 3000+ ships within one gravity well can be quite the site to behold, especially in cinematic mode
    Online multiplayer – You must make an account, which doesn't take long and then you can play with your friends vs. AI or against other players
    Custom map designer – Allows you to make absolutely massive maps, even to the scale of an entire galaxy and it is an essential tool to help you acquire achievements
    Grand strategy - Diplomacy, Trade, Pirates, Fleets, Research and much more
    Multiple races each with their own unique tech trees, specialties and titans
    Mod friendly – There are mods that allow you completely overhaul the game, such as Star Wars, Star Trek and Mass Effect themed mods and smaller more particular mods that allow you to change a tech tree or add a wider variety of planets + I recommend using Mod DB
    Game speed management in single-player, which gives you the freedom to play at your desired pace
    Cinematic button to help you sit back and enjoy grand battles

Cons:

Multiplayer games can be quite sluggish and take very long periods of time to finish so be sure to save between play sessions
    Limitations of the engine and poor connections from time-to-time can sometimes make it difficult to enjoy online gameplay
    No campaign or rich backstory - The lore is quite interesting, but they never expanded upon it, which could have made the game ever better
    Dated graphics – I imagine there is a mod to fix this issue if you don't enjoy the current graphical quality
    Not a large player base for online multiplayer so I highly recommend playing with a friend

Note: Give this game a solid chance, even if it seems overwhelming at first.
  55. Jun 13, 2012
    There was two things that Sins needed most: multicore support and a 64 bit version. Rebellion adds neither. So if you like huge maps and mods, you'll still encounter slowdowns at some point. Getting that out of the way, what they did add is new toys that are pretty fun to play with. Doing things like eating planets for resources, building a ship that's just a giant gun, and attackingThere was two things that Sins needed most: multicore support and a 64 bit version. Rebellion adds neither. So if you like huge maps and mods, you'll still encounter slowdowns at some point. Getting that out of the way, what they did add is new toys that are pretty fun to play with. Doing things like eating planets for resources, building a ship that's just a giant gun, and attacking people by flying Starbases at them are pretty awesome. They're also pretty imbalanced. So all in all this is kind of a mixed bag. If you liked Sins before and you're okay with balance issues being present in this version (hopefully to be patched later), then you'll enjoy Rebellion. Collapse

1. Aug 30, 2012
    Rebellion is clearly an improvement over the original Sins of a Solar Empire, but it's still a not very successful attempt to cross an RTS with a 4X strategy game.
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a game I really wish I was more skilled at. I appreciate all the various aspects of gameplay and the depth that the combination of those aspects provides. Still, as my fellow critic Kristin Taylor might say, I was far too enamored with the construction of my newfangled Titan to react quickly enough to the raiders destroying my infrastructure. While it's a long, long way from being up my alley, it at least makes for a good spectator sport.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Jul 31, 2012
    Miles deep, loaded with options and gorgeous art, Sins: Rebellion is a great, genre-transcending strategy game. [Aug 2012, p.60]