Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion PC

7.8

1. Feb 18, 2017
    Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion incorporates all the outstanding aspects of the previous games in the series and abolishes most of its past flaws. Although $40 is a steep price, the game is worth its weight in gold if you enjoy 4X and grand strategy games that are dynamic and offer endless hours of entertainment. The DLC adds some flare and more strategic options to the mix. I have playedSins of a Solar Empire Rebellion incorporates all the outstanding aspects of the previous games in the series and abolishes most of its past flaws. Although $40 is a steep price, the game is worth its weight in gold if you enjoy 4X and grand strategy games that are dynamic and offer endless hours of entertainment. The DLC adds some flare and more strategic options to the mix. I have played every Sins of a Solar Empire since the first one was released back in 2008 and I assure you this is by far the best installment in the series.

Pros:

Enormous space battles – Upwards of 3000+ ships within one gravity well can be quite the site to behold, especially in cinematic mode
    Online multiplayer – You must make an account, which doesn't take long and then you can play with your friends vs. AI or against other players
    Custom map designer – Allows you to make absolutely massive maps, even to the scale of an entire galaxy and it is an essential tool to help you acquire achievements
    Grand strategy - Diplomacy, Trade, Pirates, Fleets, Research and much more
    Multiple races each with their own unique tech trees, specialties and titans
    Mod friendly – There are mods that allow you completely overhaul the game, such as Star Wars, Star Trek and Mass Effect themed mods and smaller more particular mods that allow you to change a tech tree or add a wider variety of planets + I recommend using Mod DB
    Game speed management in single-player, which gives you the freedom to play at your desired pace
    Cinematic button to help you sit back and enjoy grand battles

Cons:

Multiplayer games can be quite sluggish and take very long periods of time to finish so be sure to save between play sessions
    Limitations of the engine and poor connections from time-to-time can sometimes make it difficult to enjoy online gameplay
    No campaign or rich backstory - The lore is quite interesting, but they never expanded upon it, which could have made the game ever better
    Dated graphics – I imagine there is a mod to fix this issue if you don't enjoy the current graphical quality
    Not a large player base for online multiplayer so I highly recommend playing with a friend

Note: Give this game a solid chance, even if it seems overwhelming at first.
  2. Jun 22, 2016
    In July of 2013, an old friend presented me with a surprise gift of one of the most engrossing strategy games I've ever played. Though I had not played any of the previous incarnations of Sins, Rebellion a natural fit, and offered an amazing degree of depth and PC user-friendly options and extras, including the unparalleled boon of being able to save multi-player games for laterIn July of 2013, an old friend presented me with a surprise gift of one of the most engrossing strategy games I've ever played. Though I had not played any of the previous incarnations of Sins, Rebellion a natural fit, and offered an amazing degree of depth and PC user-friendly options and extras, including the unparalleled boon of being able to save multi-player games for later continuance. Though there is no story-driven campaign to speak of, skirmish play is great fun and moreso, co-op comp stomp with friends. With support for up to ten players in a game and map sizes varying from a single star system to a vast galactic expanse, a single match can offer many vigorous hours of gameplay. Each of the playable factions has a staggering array of mighty warships and combat abilities, but military conquest is but one path to victory. You can dominate through technological or economic superiority, or even seek the diplomatic path and achieve victory without firing a shot. A small handful of updates and DLCs add even more depth and variety to the events of a match. Expand
  3. Jan 27, 2016
    500 heures de jeu....que dire de plus?!!!!............................................................................................................
  4. Jul 14, 2015
    fantastic 4x game with many ships, factions, and stuff that brings it from decent to epic not to mention huge skill trees and other RPG elements. highly recommended, although i bought it at a discount on steam.
  5. Jan 31, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Talk about a bestseller franchise, I not only bought the vanilla Sins of a Solar Empire, but I bought not one, not two, but four copies of this game to my "steam" buddies. This game has a pretty impressive polish and can even run on medium graphics on a modern TK-42 model, and let me tell you how much "fun" this can get with the scale of the game. This is not a good game for RTS amateurs who never heard of 4X RTS games or people who generally like to see fast paced action on screen.

The game is not as in dept as some of its former competitors, and I admit that the space battles are nothing but a fancy light show where the ships have a stationary combat formation with only one objective of draining both shields and health bars. Nothing special about this franchise as I have a sort of favoritism towards the engines capabilities and super effective use of computer resources. Let's say this is the game to go with if you don't have any dedicated gamers PC. Its sound, never crashed on me before like the trashy triple A games (which generally means nothing to me at this point).

The art style for space pirates is the perfect classic imagine with green torches and "Screw shields, we got the best armor in the universe" Attitude that can be annoying harassment early game if you don't have credits to spare in the bounty system. To this day I was disappointment there was no pirate faction added as the ships designs looked better then the boring tech architecture.

Then you got the micro expansions (This may be the hell spawn where the very first DLC's on earth spawned) all rolled into the package with only titans and a slap to the face to people who already invested in those micro expansions. Needless to say it does not apply as much anymore as most of you already read the first reviews.

From the amount of hours I spent into it, and that I am still impressed with what this game has to offer for a price, I say go get it if you like slower paced galactic space combat 4X strategy games. I don't have any regrets getting this for myself and everybody else.
  6. Dec 14, 2014
    I think this is one of the best Real Time Strategy games out there. It is fast paced, or pausable if you are in single player or in a coop game so you can give commands to your units at whatever rate you want. Although the graphics are only slightly different than the original, the gameplay is more fun with the inclusion of Titans.
  7. May 1, 2014
    EXCELLENT GAME. Back on 2010 I found the first version of Sins of a solar empire in a target for 10 bucks. I bought the game thinking it would be just another one of those crappy made strategy games out there. Happily I was wrong, and this is by far my favorite game of all time. Starting and practicing on the first, to eventually buying trinity and then to rebellion Ive found thatEXCELLENT GAME. Back on 2010 I found the first version of Sins of a solar empire in a target for 10 bucks. I bought the game thinking it would be just another one of those crappy made strategy games out there. Happily I was wrong, and this is by far my favorite game of all time. Starting and practicing on the first, to eventually buying trinity and then to rebellion Ive found that Rebellion is by far the best in the series and in my opinion the best strategy game Ive ever played. The abilities and power the gamer gets in this game is amazing and extremely addicting. Th game is very intensive too. Its taken me 4 years to get moderately good tactics and skill with SOASE. Rebellions great however I really hope they add even more capital ships and maybe even factions along the way. High praises to Stardock and Ironclad! Expand
  8. NLS
    Jan 21, 2014
    Yes more of the same indeed. So?
    You have a working recipe and you add a few more carefully balanced ingredients. Fine by me.
    Much better than forgetting your success story and trying to feed your fan base with cr*p (X3 vs X:R comes to mind).
    SoaSE:R is one of the best games of its genre. You should own it.
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion is one of the best RTS games I have ever played. Epic battles, tones of strategy, and distinct faction variations allow for a unique play experience. Even though I have had no experience with the Sins series before this game, I have found the game interface easy to learn and use, despite it's surprising complexity. This game offers many hours of playtime,Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion is one of the best RTS games I have ever played. Epic battles, tones of strategy, and distinct faction variations allow for a unique play experience. Even though I have had no experience with the Sins series before this game, I have found the game interface easy to learn and use, despite it's surprising complexity. This game offers many hours of playtime, and will keep you glued to the screen. I got this game on Steam over the summer sale, so it was only ten bucks. So in conclusion, Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game for those looking for a space based RTS theme. Expand
  10. Oct 28, 2013
    This game is pretty epic. Never played Sins before, but I'm really having fun with it. Graphics are pretty sweet, but when you zoom in textures get a wee blurry. But that's alright given the massive scale of the game. You can dominate a map with ten planets or a hundred.

Only gripe I have is that normal difficulty is a joke, and when you bump it up to hard, the AI is good enough to dominate a new player. You will probably lose a few games before you can hold your own.

Once you get past that, it's pure space-fleet glory.
  11. Oct 10, 2013
    It is a nice game, and I got it from steam during promotion, consider worth it since I only paid 34% of the original price i know not the best deal)

very nice and epic battle and can company the player for whole day

only bad point is game tend to last very long so it is not multiplayer friendly
  12. Sep 18, 2013
    I never played the original game and have only played this version so for me it's good. Games take a long time to set up and execute which means it's kind of limited in how often it can be played. A decent 4x RTS game but not turn based. Best on sale. I wouldn't pay $40 for this like people did. My biggest complaint would be it's pretty much just blob up your forces in to one bigI never played the original game and have only played this version so for me it's good. Games take a long time to set up and execute which means it's kind of limited in how often it can be played. A decent 4x RTS game but not turn based. Best on sale. I wouldn't pay $40 for this like people did. My biggest complaint would be it's pretty much just blob up your forces in to one big fleet and sweep the map but then I'm a newbie and have only played on lower difficulty settings with few opponents. Expand
  13. Sep 6, 2013
    All in all, a very nice expansion to the original Sins. I would have liked to have seen some 3D graphic and GUI enhancements, but hey, the extra content is enough to make this game well worth it, and I've already spent hours engrossed in the new features, especially when you get the new Forbidden Worlds DLC. Recommending this to anyone looking for an upgrade to the original Sins.
  14. Aug 24, 2013
    As a Strategy Game this one has it all: Pacing, depth, faction variations. There are trade-offs between military and civilian techs. Decent tutorials. Good graphics. Interesting combat. Complaints about the price of the game are now dated as this IS the game in its complete or fully-updated form. My only personal qualm is that the gameplay tends towards RTS, and is designed for multiplayerAs a Strategy Game this one has it all: Pacing, depth, faction variations. There are trade-offs between military and civilian techs. Decent tutorials. Good graphics. Interesting combat. Complaints about the price of the game are now dated as this IS the game in its complete or fully-updated form. My only personal qualm is that the gameplay tends towards RTS, and is designed for multiplayer play, which can be anxiety-inducing. I prefer the pause-and play format that gives one ample time to think, or even sleep on a move rather than forever force attention and decision making. Strategy games shouldn't be rushed. Rome was NOT built in a day.

15. Aug 15, 2013
    As a newcomer to Stardock games I came with no real preconception of this game, apart from that on the surface it bore a vague resemblance to Eve online.

At first I thought, this is like Eve, only feels emptier, less visually striking. I struck up a game, after searching for the 'campaign' button from which to launch the story that would carry me through events leading... well, wherever. But there is no campaign. This is not a problem. You see, what 'Sins' does is strip away all the surplus and really get to grips with what makes a fantastic strategy game.

It was during my second playing of the game that something happened: I couldn't stop playing. It's like peeling an onion, only to cry a little more as another layer appears. It supplies something sadly lacking in many of the games I've played recently, depth. The controls/menus/UI are all deceptively simple, this just makes the game easy to play. Complexity comes from the myriad strategies possible from the many different options and tactics that can be employed as the game develops. Each game, I might add, feels unique. With a huge list of maps, options that can be tweaked on and off, and the ability to produce your own maps.

I'm only on my fifth game, yet each time I've started up a new game I've become even deeper immersed. It's great because you can save whenever you like, so you can play little by little or a lot at a time, it's up to you. And when you feel confident (I'm not there yet) it can be played with a live opponent/s! Huge potential for employing the diplomatic elements of the game.

I bought it for under £10 on steam, well worth the money. I expect it will go on to provide me a huge amount of satisfaction way beyond when other, more visual games have long fallen by the wayside. It probably won't be for those who prefer fast games which give you a rush, games with graphics that demand only the best, most beefy computer or who enjoy a more story based experience. If you have patience, like quiet, unassuming complexity, enjoy working out how best to manage the long term development of an expanding intergalactic empire, then you'll most likely love it!
  16. Jul 23, 2013
    Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game for those who enjoy RTS or 4X style of games. Rebellion when found at a good price is an excellent expansion stand alone. The addition of Fractions change how enemies and players develop. The only drawbacks are the length of games and sever issues. Highly recommended anyone who plays RTS games give this a try.
  17. Jul 15, 2013
    and 1 more thing to say is that u could but it with the price 13.59$ (-66% account)

those players keep talking about too expensive is ridiculous. Hope them will buy games wiser next time
  18. Jun 5, 2013
    Since I bought this game on Steam at a discounted price of USD 13+/-, I cannot discuss this matter based on money matters. Aside from that, the game is generally fun to play. Once I bought it, I was completely bemused towards how to play it, making the game slightly dull and depressing at first. However, after gaining experience and understanding how the game works, it was fantastic. ShipsSince I bought this game on Steam at a discounted price of USD 13+/-, I cannot discuss this matter based on money matters. Aside from that, the game is generally fun to play. Once I bought it, I was completely bemused towards how to play it, making the game slightly dull and depressing at first. However, after gaining experience and understanding how the game works, it was fantastic. Ships of great variety and the picturesque background makes the game consistently attractive in graphics and design. The combat fighting may be slightly dull at times, but with massive battalions of larger ships and things, it will be fun to play.

The only downside I have, would be the duration to complete the game. It would literally take me a few days just to complete a match with 13 or more planets. It may be my inexperience, but I believe many people would feel the same way sometimes. But I really can't complain about duration if the fun is consistently being kept at a high level.

It would be hard for me to sit down patiently and play a game that could last more than 8 hours, but that's just me. Hence the game deserves my 8. I was also amazed at the community mods, making the game far more interesting as well.
  19. Mar 9, 2013
    Decent Master of Orion and StarCraft successor. Master of Orion part (strategy of handling the multi-star galactic empire) is great. StarCraft part (tactics of spaceship battles) not so much. There's too much going on in the empire to command the ships manually, and I usually just leave it to AI (which does it well). Also, in StarCraft, you have hard rock-paper-scissors like stealth andDecent Master of Orion and StarCraft successor. Master of Orion part (strategy of handling the multi-star galactic empire) is great. StarCraft part (tactics of spaceship battles) not so much. There's too much going on in the empire to command the ships manually, and I usually just leave it to AI (which does it well). Also, in StarCraft, you have hard rock-paper-scissors like stealth and ground/air units, so you have to provide counters or lose regardless of amount of units. In this game everything can be soft-countered by everything, so you just need a huge fleet and you'll steamroll anything. You need, however, to create a successful economy to build that fleet. Overall, there's a decent depth to the game, and I suppose it's fun in multiplayer (if you are prepared to play for 5-6 hours). I definitely recommend to try it if you like Master of Orion. Expand
  20. Mar 6, 2013
    If you buy this game, also buy a new, more comfortable chair, because you will be spending a lot of time on it as this game gets you hooked. I love playing strategy games, but I only like a certain few. This is one of them. I don't know of any other space strategy game that is even close to as good as this game. The graphics are good, but it's the scale that is amazing. Imagine C&CIf you buy this game, also buy a new, more comfortable chair, because you will be spending a lot of time on it as this game gets you hooked. I love playing strategy games, but I only like a certain few. This is one of them. I don't know of any other space strategy game that is even close to as good as this game. The graphics are good, but it's the scale that is amazing. Imagine C&C (the good ones), Total War, and Wargame: European Escalation all mixed into a space strategy game. In other words, pure awesomeness. By the way, the above mentioned games are cool, too. Expand
  21. Jan 16, 2013
    Having never played the original, this gets a 10 from. Probably my favorite strategy game to date. Epic battles, tons of strategy, unique faction/race variations -- without being so different that each has its own learning curve.

I've been playing Homeworld 2 (Complex) for a couple years and this is what Homeworld was meant to be -- as much as I love the Homeworld games, they cannot come close to SoaSE!
  22. Dec 29, 2012
    if you own trinity dont buy this unless its in a steam sale as the content it adds is too small to warrenty the price tag.

however if you are looking for a space rts and havent played sins before or didnt play the expansions then get this game.
  23. Dec 27, 2012
    Finally another RTS to spend hours building an empire. There are so many races, techs, structures and ships that your average beginner might not know where to start, but given lots of patience and practice it can provide endless hours of enjoyment.

Most other developers have lost touch with what an RTS is and as a result there are very few RTS about these days, but this one stands out. We need more real-time strategy games! What happened to the early days of C&C Red Alert and Rise of Nations?!
  24. Dec 26, 2012
    This is the single most fantastic 4X RTS I have played. The maps, ships, technologies, and AI are incredibly detailed, and the graphics are beautiful. A definite recommendation if you enjoy the space RTS genre.
  25. Dec 13, 2012
    Real-time 4X strategy with equally deep choices for warfare, diplomacy, and colonization. I haven't played since vanilla but the expansions have added tons onto the base game including: starbases (death stars that can effectively control uncolonizable sectors), "Titan" class ships, new research trees, restructured diplomacy, improved victory conditions, deeper piracy options, moreReal-time 4X strategy with equally deep choices for warfare, diplomacy, and colonization. I haven't played since vanilla but the expansions have added tons onto the base game including: starbases (death stars that can effectively control uncolonizable sectors), "Titan" class ships, new research trees, restructured diplomacy, improved victory conditions, deeper piracy options, more difficulty settings, tons of new maps and map sizes, and who knows what else I haven't discovered yet. Rebellion contains all the previous expansions and new content. I played vanilla Sins for hundreds of hours before it came out on Steam and probably will sink many more into this. I mean, it's basically Civ in space, you should really go play it. Expand
  26. Dec 8, 2012
    As a stand-alone expansion, i expected more. As a huge fan of the original Sins, I was expecting this game to leave it in its tracks. Especially when I saw the price tag. For the amount of money they're asking, I was hoping there would be a bit more content. The new UI is very nice and additional ships add a nice new layer of depth. However, it felt like that was it. Sure the graphics wereAs a stand-alone expansion, i expected more. As a huge fan of the original Sins, I was expecting this game to leave it in its tracks. Especially when I saw the price tag. For the amount of money they're asking, I was hoping there would be a bit more content. The new UI is very nice and additional ships add a nice new layer of depth. However, it felt like that was it. Sure the graphics were polished a bit and a couple other changes were made but the expansion felt like it was a bit shallow. You won't tell much of a difference between Trinity and Rebellion until a few hours into the game. But at that point, the gloves are off and Rebellion shows what its got. The division of each of the 3 factions works nicely and adds more variety to the games. The titans are real game-changers and so much fun. If you were a fan of Trinity and have the money to fork out for the expansion, do it. Expand
  27. Oct 26, 2012
    The pinnacle of hybrid RTS-TBS space games, the joy in figuring out good strategies will keep you coming back for more (so glad they patched that Vasari Titan). Pro-tip: this is not your typical 4x game, this game will reward players who have a plan and who execute it quickly! Spend, spend, spend unless you are saving for that titan! RTS players will feel right at home.
  28. Oct 10, 2012
    I like the game, except the LAG in the middle of the game
    I don't think its a bug of the code, it uses only one core of the processor. I hope they fix this lag though
  29. Sep 22, 2012
    The game is absolutely gorgeus, and is the best space RTS ever. Seriously, I haven't played one that better emulates a 4X experience. It's surprisingly addictive, very well done and gone are the flaws that marred its beauty in previous installments (see pirates). I am a very big fan of the series. The only issue I have with it is the fact it is a bit overpriced for someone who already hasThe game is absolutely gorgeus, and is the best space RTS ever. Seriously, I haven't played one that better emulates a 4X experience. It's surprisingly addictive, very well done and gone are the flaws that marred its beauty in previous installments (see pirates). I am a very big fan of the series. The only issue I have with it is the fact it is a bit overpriced for someone who already has Trinity. But if you never played Sins before, it is the best experience. Expand
  30. Sep 4, 2012
    More an expansion pack than a new game. The original was good, but years of polish and three expansion packs have made it much better. I wish I had not played the "beta" releases and only played the finished one.

1. Aug 30, 2012
    Rebellion is clearly an improvement over the original Sins of a Solar Empire, but it's still a not very successful attempt to cross an RTS with a 4X strategy game.
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a game I really wish I was more skilled at. I appreciate all the various aspects of gameplay and the depth that the combination of those aspects provides. Still, as my fellow critic Kristin Taylor might say, I was far too enamored with the construction of my newfangled Titan to react quickly enough to the raiders destroying my infrastructure. While it's a long, long way from being up my alley, it at least makes for a good spectator sport.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Jul 31, 2012
    Miles deep, loaded with options and gorgeous art, Sins: Rebellion is a great, genre-transcending strategy game. [Aug 2012, p.60]