7.7

1. Aug 9, 2012
    This game offers a lot more tactical depth then what you'd expect from from a real-time version of popular turn-based 4X games. With an enormous tech tree, a flexible - well designed diplomatic system and 6 factions (3x2) that play very differently this game offers more than enough content to keep you occupied for months (given the sky-high replay value and dozen hour-long matches)
    While
    While reading the negative reviews i came to realize that they mostly cover the following:
    -the "expansion" hasn't got enough new content (with which I highly disagree, besides, it's a standalone title)
    -Master of orion and Gal Civ are better (to people who say this: real-time strategies are obviously not your thing, no matter how much content they pack)

The game is as good as flawless when you look at it at a standalone viewpoint.
  2. Jun 21, 2012
    Some of you giving this game a low score for the price should be ashamed of yourselves. 39.99 is expensive, since when ??? I understand that it's just an expansion. These games hardly get any coverage or love these days so I will gladly spend 39.99 on it. I have wasted plenty of money on crap games and this is not one of them. Also this is for reviewing the game. If your unhappy about theSome of you giving this game a low score for the price should be ashamed of yourselves. 39.99 is expensive, since when ??? I understand that it's just an expansion. These games hardly get any coverage or love these days so I will gladly spend 39.99 on it. I have wasted plenty of money on crap games and this is not one of them. Also this is for reviewing the game. If your unhappy about the price go to their forums and let them know. It will probably have a reduced price very soon anyways. Expand
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    Having never played the original, this gets a 10 from. Probably my favorite strategy game to date. Epic battles, tons of strategy, unique faction/race variations -- without being so different that each has its own learning curve.

I've been playing Homeworld 2 (Complex) for a couple years and this is what Homeworld was meant to be -- as much as I love the Homeworld games, they cannot come close to SoaSE!
  4. Oct 10, 2012
    I like the game, except the LAG in the middle of the game
    I don't think its a bug of the code, it uses only one core of the processor. I hope they fix this lag though
  5. Jul 16, 2012
    Fantastic game, cannot recommending it enough. Perfect for what a stand-alone expansion should be. Great price, great multiplayer. Could not be recommended enough. The only 'negative' I can think of is that games can take upwards of 6 hours. But I quite enjoy that.
  6. Jun 19, 2012
    If you like strategy games, this is one of the best of all time, the combination of a real time gameplay and suberb graphic, make this title worth the investment.
  7. Jun 12, 2012
    I've been with this game since alpha testing and it's improved into the great dynamic game that it is right now. the graphics are improved and the new ship class of titan's make this more of a strategy game then ever before because of new tactics
  8. Jun 15, 2012
    There are numerous small, but well appreciated improvements. I wish that they would have given me a bit more command over how my ships form up and move, but so it goes. After pirating the first game in the series (sorry) I'm not particularly miffed by the $40 price tag.
  9. Oct 26, 2012
    The pinnacle of hybrid RTS-TBS space games, the joy in figuring out good strategies will keep you coming back for more (so glad they patched that Vasari Titan). Pro-tip: this is not your typical 4x game, this game will reward players who have a plan and who execute it quickly! Spend, spend, spend unless you are saving for that titan! RTS players will feel right at home.
  10. Dec 26, 2012
    This is the single most fantastic 4X RTS I have played. The maps, ships, technologies, and AI are incredibly detailed, and the graphics are beautiful. A definite recommendation if you enjoy the space RTS genre.
  11. Dec 27, 2012
    Finally another RTS to spend hours building an empire. There are so many races, techs, structures and ships that your average beginner might not know where to start, but given lots of patience and practice it can provide endless hours of enjoyment.

Most other developers have lost touch with what an RTS is and as a result there are very few RTS about these days, but this one stands out. We need more real-time strategy games! What happened to the early days of C&C Red Alert and Rise of Nations?!
  12. Jul 15, 2013
    and 1 more thing to say is that u could but it with the price 13.59$ (-66% account)

those players keep talking about too expensive is ridiculous. Hope them will buy games wiser next time
  13. Nov 2, 2013
    Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion is one of the best RTS games I have ever played. Epic battles, tones of strategy, and distinct faction variations allow for a unique play experience. Even though I have had no experience with the Sins series before this game, I have found the game interface easy to learn and use, despite it's surprising complexity. This game offers many hours of playtime,Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion is one of the best RTS games I have ever played. Epic battles, tones of strategy, and distinct faction variations allow for a unique play experience. Even though I have had no experience with the Sins series before this game, I have found the game interface easy to learn and use, despite it's surprising complexity. This game offers many hours of playtime, and will keep you glued to the screen. I got this game on Steam over the summer sale, so it was only ten bucks. So in conclusion, Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game for those looking for a space based RTS theme. Expand
  14. May 1, 2014
    EXCELLENT GAME. Back on 2010 I found the first version of Sins of a solar empire in a target for 10 bucks. I bought the game thinking it would be just another one of those crappy made strategy games out there. Happily I was wrong, and this is by far my favorite game of all time. Starting and practicing on the first, to eventually buying trinity and then to rebellion Ive found thatEXCELLENT GAME. Back on 2010 I found the first version of Sins of a solar empire in a target for 10 bucks. I bought the game thinking it would be just another one of those crappy made strategy games out there. Happily I was wrong, and this is by far my favorite game of all time. Starting and practicing on the first, to eventually buying trinity and then to rebellion Ive found that Rebellion is by far the best in the series and in my opinion the best strategy game Ive ever played. The abilities and power the gamer gets in this game is amazing and extremely addicting. Th game is very intensive too. Its taken me 4 years to get moderately good tactics and skill with SOASE. Rebellions great however I really hope they add even more capital ships and maybe even factions along the way. High praises to Stardock and Ironclad! Expand
  15. Dec 14, 2014
    I think this is one of the best Real Time Strategy games out there. It is fast paced, or pausable if you are in single player or in a coop game so you can give commands to your units at whatever rate you want. Although the graphics are only slightly different than the original, the gameplay is more fun with the inclusion of Titans.
  16. Jun 15, 2012
    This game is awesome. I bought Trinity when it came out (not on steam but impulse) and loved it. the only thing that sucks is that they didn't release it as DLC but standalone, thats just confusing and forces compatibility problems. in my opinion its just a way of moneymaking and the price of $40 ($30 when you already own a sins game and buy through stardock website) is way to much forThis game is awesome. I bought Trinity when it came out (not on steam but impulse) and loved it. the only thing that sucks is that they didn't release it as DLC but standalone, thats just confusing and forces compatibility problems. in my opinion its just a way of moneymaking and the price of $40 ($30 when you already own a sins game and buy through stardock website) is way to much for someone who ownes trinity already. for players who never played or owned sins before its just perfect and the price is even cheap. nevertheless the game is just great and i hope that it will attract a bigger fanbase since it was released through steam as well. whoever complains about feeling ripped off because they thought its a complete new game should learn to read before spending money. i mean you really have to have the money sitting to lose when you buy something without even getting some informations about it beforehand. and who buys it knowing what he gets and still is not happy because it is 'just' an expansion should be angry about him/herself... and even then it should be possible to get a refund. at least it was never a problem for me. Expand
  17. Aug 15, 2012
    A solid rts, good AI accessible gameplay coupled with strong graphics and sound make this one of the rare good 4X games not bogged down with a terrible launch or followup support.
  18. Jun 30, 2012
    This expansion brought some much needed love to the SoaSE series, with some extra graphical filters/smoothers, new ships, new victory conditions, and a snazzy cgi trailer to boot. Still regrettable that the engine limitations are still present though.
  19. Jun 12, 2012
    Having garnered experience from the making of original Sins and its two minor expansions, Ironclad doesn't disappoint with this stand-alone expansion. And on that note, a word of warning: don't be fooled by the "expansion" label, for Rebellion is a bigger and better game than the three previous games in the series combined. With each of the original three unique civilizations (Vasari,Having garnered experience from the making of original Sins and its two minor expansions, Ironclad doesn't disappoint with this stand-alone expansion. And on that note, a word of warning: don't be fooled by the "expansion" label, for Rebellion is a bigger and better game than the three previous games in the series combined. With each of the original three unique civilizations (Vasari, Advent, TEC) divided into two rebelling factions, Rebellion provides more opportunities to hone and practice your tactical genius by using over a dozen different approaches and strategies with any of the six factions. Whether you want to become the greatest civilization through trade and diplomacy, cultural expansion, utter annihilation, mass colonization, concrete fortification or any other variety of tactics, this game promises you replay value by providing a degree of action, strategy and customization no other game offers. Days of playing time will accumulate as you choose a faction, earn resources, construct buildings, upgrade planets, research technology, build ships, colonize planets, forge alliances, conquer enemies and do whatever else it takes to dominate the star(s). Even those not privy to the RTS genre will find something to enjoy in this sci-fi deluxe--such as leveling up capital ships and the newly-added mighty titan, micromanaging a galactic economy or controlling dozens of ships in real-time combat. Expand
  20. Sep 22, 2012
    The game is absolutely gorgeus, and is the best space RTS ever. Seriously, I haven't played one that better emulates a 4X experience. It's surprisingly addictive, very well done and gone are the flaws that marred its beauty in previous installments (see pirates). I am a very big fan of the series. The only issue I have with it is the fact it is a bit overpriced for someone who already hasThe game is absolutely gorgeus, and is the best space RTS ever. Seriously, I haven't played one that better emulates a 4X experience. It's surprisingly addictive, very well done and gone are the flaws that marred its beauty in previous installments (see pirates). I am a very big fan of the series. The only issue I have with it is the fact it is a bit overpriced for someone who already has Trinity. But if you never played Sins before, it is the best experience. Expand
  21. Jun 28, 2012
    Probably the best space strategy beside the nostalgic first part of homeworld.The only thing that i'm missing at this game is the story mode.Everything else is great
  22. Jun 17, 2012
    While it is certain that owners of the original game may felt ripped off as they are required to buy what they already own for 40 dollar.
    It is a wonderful entry point for new players.In fact i felt there is a sufficient amout of new contents but They are spread evenly throighout many aspect so it kinda makes it feels thin.
  23. Jun 12, 2012
    Excellent game in virtually all respects. Vast amounts of replay ability, no two games are ever the same. Graphics are excellent and an improvement on the original. Numerous additions such as Titans and the splitting of each race into 2 factions that have different styles of play adds depth. My only real complaint is that there are crash bugs that still need to be worked out, or I'd giveExcellent game in virtually all respects. Vast amounts of replay ability, no two games are ever the same. Graphics are excellent and an improvement on the original. Numerous additions such as Titans and the splitting of each race into 2 factions that have different styles of play adds depth. My only real complaint is that there are crash bugs that still need to be worked out, or I'd give it a 10. All in all, I highly recommend this game. Expand
  24. Jun 13, 2012
    Its Sins with more. What's not to like? Victory conditions bring goals (other than galactic domination) to the game. New factions changes up the feel to each race, while their varying techs make them even more diverse. The titans can turn a long game into a true marathon.
  25. Jun 15, 2012
    I personally love this game, I think it is a bit pricy at $40, but still, it is more stable, It adds plenty of new stuff to keep me interested, the titans are not all powerful, which is a good thing, and I love the new music.
  26. Jun 16, 2012
    Rebellion takes a step further into making an already great game into an even greater experience. The splintering of each race add additional technologies and the Titans bring a whole new level of power as well.
    The AI has also improved and is much more lively.
    The AI has also improved and is much more lively.
    If you haven`t been able to try out Sins of a Solar Empire yet, this is the perfect entry point, although the price may be saulty for a standalone expansion...
  27. Jun 20, 2012
    I'm an old school gamer. I started with an Atari 2600 for Christmas in 1977 and I've been hooked ever sense. I fell in love with video games so much I make games for a living.

With that said, I am very critical of new games and I love this one. I am a big fan of the Home World series and have been looking for something like it for years. I have never played any of the previous releases so I can't make any comment on whats different with Rebellion. The artwork is very good and the game-play is excellent. I love the old-time slow paced RTS feel. My first round in single player lasted until daylight (I lost). As soon as Friday night gets here, I'll wait for the wife and kids to go to bed and I;lll sneak back down stairs for another all-nighter. (I'm going win this time dang-it)
  28. Jun 24, 2012
    Rebellion is a nice upgrade from the Trinity package. There are a few new ships and upgrades, which extend the gameplay; however, there are currently some balancing issues, which the devs are currently working on. Overall, the game is still awesome, and well worth picking up if you've never played SoaSE. For those previous owners complaining about the $40: Stardock offers a $10 discount toRebellion is a nice upgrade from the Trinity package. There are a few new ships and upgrades, which extend the gameplay; however, there are currently some balancing issues, which the devs are currently working on. Overall, the game is still awesome, and well worth picking up if you've never played SoaSE. For those previous owners complaining about the $40: Stardock offers a $10 discount to anyone who already bought SoaSE. Rebellion is actually an acceptable upgrade for $30, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. Expand
  29. Aug 24, 2013
    As a Strategy Game this one has it all: Pacing, depth, faction variations. There are trade-offs between military and civilian techs. Decent tutorials. Good graphics. Interesting combat. Complaints about the price of the game are now dated as this IS the game in its complete or fully-updated form. My only personal qualm is that the gameplay tends towards RTS, and is designed for multiplayerAs a Strategy Game this one has it all: Pacing, depth, faction variations. There are trade-offs between military and civilian techs. Decent tutorials. Good graphics. Interesting combat. Complaints about the price of the game are now dated as this IS the game in its complete or fully-updated form. My only personal qualm is that the gameplay tends towards RTS, and is designed for multiplayer play, which can be anxiety-inducing. I prefer the pause-and play format that gives one ample time to think, or even sleep on a move rather than forever force attention and decision making. Strategy games shouldn't be rushed. Rome was NOT built in a day.

30. Dec 8, 2012
    As a stand-alone expansion, i expected more. As a huge fan of the original Sins, I was expecting this game to leave it in its tracks. Especially when I saw the price tag. For the amount of money they're asking, I was hoping there would be a bit more content. The new UI is very nice and additional ships add a nice new layer of depth. However, it felt like that was it. Sure the graphics wereAs a stand-alone expansion, i expected more. As a huge fan of the original Sins, I was expecting this game to leave it in its tracks. Especially when I saw the price tag. For the amount of money they're asking, I was hoping there would be a bit more content. The new UI is very nice and additional ships add a nice new layer of depth. However, it felt like that was it. Sure the graphics were polished a bit and a couple other changes were made but the expansion felt like it was a bit shallow. You won't tell much of a difference between Trinity and Rebellion until a few hours into the game. But at that point, the gloves are off and Rebellion shows what its got. The division of each of the 3 factions works nicely and adds more variety to the games. The titans are real game-changers and so much fun. If you were a fan of Trinity and have the money to fork out for the expansion, do it. Expand

1. Aug 30, 2012
    Rebellion is clearly an improvement over the original Sins of a Solar Empire, but it's still a not very successful attempt to cross an RTS with a 4X strategy game.
  2. Aug 6, 2012
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a game I really wish I was more skilled at. I appreciate all the various aspects of gameplay and the depth that the combination of those aspects provides. Still, as my fellow critic Kristin Taylor might say, I was far too enamored with the construction of my newfangled Titan to react quickly enough to the raiders destroying my infrastructure. While it's a long, long way from being up my alley, it at least makes for a good spectator sport.
  3. Jul 31, 2012
    Miles deep, loaded with options and gorgeous art, Sins: Rebellion is a great, genre-transcending strategy game. [Aug 2012, p.60]