8.3

1. Mar 25, 2014
    From the beginning I really loved this game. As I played more and more I started to hate it more actually. 3 days in I was level 12 maybe? I bought the ultimate god pack. When I reached level 22 I stopped playing completely and switched to Dawngate.

As for the actual game it is very beautiful. They did a great job graphically and gameplay wise. The real issue was the community and the servers were not all that great either.The game itself just feels stale. The community itself on the reddit side is great. In game your lucky if you keep a game 5v5 for the whole thing. Most likely someone will leave or surrender. When the games playing well it is a great game. For the majority of the time it is a less then enjoyable experience.
  2. Mar 28, 2014
    The game is a overrated, it has nice ideas and mechanics but the reality is it's just mediocre.
    The Gods are unbalanced and people use and ban the same Gods every game, many gods are not viable because they're just too weak compared to others.
    The matchmaking is broken as it takes into account the average MM rating of the team, so you end up with situations where high ranked players end up in the same team with relatively new players while the opponents are more even in skill level and either the high ranked players have to carry the game to victory on their own or they're gonna lose badly.
    Gods can be unlocked for free but their cost is so high (5500) and the "favor" (free game currency) you gain per match is so low (20-50 depending on game mode and win/loss) that you just won't be able to unlock every god without paying real money.
    The game has servers only in 2 regions, NA and EU, so you often end up in teams with Latins, Spanish, Brazilians, Russians, etc. who can't or refuse to speak English and so will lose you the game due to no communication. Not to mention the ping and lag issues if you're plying from the West Coast or anywhere outside the US or Europe.
    The items are very few and the stats very simplistic, often taking away most of the choices in item builds as there are always must have items on every god depending on your role.

In the end Smite is a game built for casual gamers new to MOBAs, with very little to offer to veterans from other and better games from this genre.
  3. Jul 31, 2014
    So here are my gripes with the game:

So here are my gripes with the game:

Not much room for skillful play because last hitting isnt actually worth anything and creep denial by friendly fire on your own minions doesnt work. The minimap isnt very good and doesnt really convey information such as enemy location in lane because as soon as your opponent moves a bit further away from your teammate (even if he stays in lane) he will disappear from your minimap.

Furthermore the mostly unranked gametypes this game has are ruined by premades stomping randoms - there doesnt seem to be a decent pre vs pre matching. Especially later at night you will often run into 3 (conquest) to 5 (arena) man premades who just destroy random teams over and over.

^The issues above are somewhat fixed with the introduction of curse voice but not that many people are using it as of yet (especially in unranked where people dont WANT to use voice) so its not helping as much as it could.

By far the worst thing about the game is the report system. Basically the losing team will usually pick 1 guy on their team and just shove all the blame on him and ask the other team to report him as well. (you know how everyone becomes trash tier when your team loses.. *sigh*)

You can also get banned for getting disconnects during games (which actually happens a bit more at right now because hirez seems to have server problems at the moment) pretty much if you DC 3 times in 2 days you get a ban.

All of this wouldnt be an issue if the bans would be looked into more thoroughly by a support team but theyre not. And in addition to that if you get banned 4 times (within any timeframe at all ever) your ban will be almost permanent (1year). This is a huge problem as leveling a character to the point where u can play ranked takes A LOT of time and if u want to use all the gods you will have to unlock all of them again on a new account as well (which again consumes A LOT of time OR you can of course PAY MONEYZZZ to speed it up)

So basically banning people is a pretty good source of income for HiRez which is not a good starting point for a fair report/ban system.
  4. Jun 13, 2014
    Decent game but has a few weak points like generic heroes with a lot of similiar abilities, lacking camera controls, strange hitboxes and the matchmaking is oh well in about 60 games I had 2 games without any leaver.
  5. May 10, 2014
    Many of the positive reviews say that if you didn't like LoL or dota2 you should give this game a try. That is 100% not true. It is a moba, it plays exactly like a moba. Only with super amounts of lag and instability.

I've played LoL plenty and never been in a situation where based on what server I rolled on I would be able to use my skills or I would just press buttons and nothing would happen.

The game might be playable if another company made it but the coding is beyond terrible and I would not recommend wasting your downloads on this.
  6. Jun 5, 2014
    An absolutely okay game that bends awry from the current sewage spill that is the MOBA market just to dip back straight into it by allowing you to purchase items such as beads that instantly clears you of any and all CC effects (including grabbing ultimates of other gods) for only 300 gold that doesn't even take up a normal item slot or the blink orb that is just as cheap and effective asAn absolutely okay game that bends awry from the current sewage spill that is the MOBA market just to dip back straight into it by allowing you to purchase items such as beads that instantly clears you of any and all CC effects (including grabbing ultimates of other gods) for only 300 gold that doesn't even take up a normal item slot or the blink orb that is just as cheap and effective as the 2150 gold blink dagger in Dota 2.

Certain god balances like Ao Kuang, Poseidon and Zeus also leaves me scratching my head and once you combine it with the most putrid community & report system ever, you got a game that has naught but a third person perspective gimmick in a fundamentally imbalanced MOBA that's populated with nothing but trolls and tryhards on a bunch of wonky servers.
  7. Jun 30, 2014
    This game is a revolutionary MOBA, so you will love it at the begining.
    THe problem comes when you play it for three weeks or more. I played League of Legends and Dota 2 before, and in comparison, this game completely lacks strategy. You don't even need to last-hit in order to get the money
    This game is a revolutionary MOBA, so you will love it at the begining.
    This game is very noob friendly, but not rewarding enough for experienced Moba players, and it get's boring after a couple of weeks
  8. Aug 29, 2014
    Just a Piece of S**t... This advertisement is killing me. Will never try cause of the advertisement on Twitch, need to see 3-4 times an hour. Better if u play LoL or Dota 2.
  9. Apr 22, 2014
    The third person view doesn't work, it makes the game very irritating at times. Isometric just works far better for this type of game. Really, each item has tiers? So you can pick an item and have an intermediate one? That is really bad design. Part of going for certain items which are strong is that there is a large delay which encourages you to play better and stop you from constantlyThe third person view doesn't work, it makes the game very irritating at times. Isometric just works far better for this type of game. Really, each item has tiers? So you can pick an item and have an intermediate one? That is really bad design. Part of going for certain items which are strong is that there is a large delay which encourages you to play better and stop you from constantly going back and then suddenly being superior to the enemy, but Smite seems to defy this and make purchasing items a chore rather than an achievement.

Aim based normal attacks, are you for real? This takes focus further off cs (it lightens the punishment of missing cs) and introduces another annoying element to the game. Suddenly the game is a third person shooter strategy action. Honestly, Smite is more like a boring MMO instance than a "MOBA".
  10. yum
    Aug 24, 2014
    Atrocious ban system! HiRez makes money off permabanning people. And they dont care about checking reasons at all.A lot of things are very very wrong with this system!

The smite servers arent often times not as stable as they should be and it happens that you will be kicked from the lobby for no reason. Thats a deserter debuff for you. (and if you get deserter too often you get banned!)

People report too much in this game. If you have a bad game.. you will get reported for feeding. If you are annoyed because some dude feeds the enemy team and you simply spam the ingame emotes a few times whenever he dies, you will get reported for harass.

Even if you play a decent game but your team loses anyway.. yup thats a report for you! It's really really bad. Especially as a support you can eat your heart out with CC and helping others and your team will still insult and report you in hopes of getting you banned if you lose (solution dont play support ever!).

The worst thing by far is that smite checks for other programs running while you run smite (e.g. detecting cheat engine). But not only does smite not care wether or not you actually USE the program to modify the game and instant permaban it also missdetects some programs like a few graphic card addons and performance trackers.

The ban count is never reset so earlier or later you WILL get the 1 year ban.

The only thing i can recommend is to not spend any real money on cosmetics or god unlocks simply because it will be gone earlier or later
  11. May 1, 2014
    This game was just weird... The whole third person view thing might sound like a good idea, but i found it VERY hard to play. This game also has no original concepts or characters.
  12. Aug 29, 2014
    SMITE starts feeling like a wonderful game, but thats just the beginning by the time you will mess with a lot of problems, Matchmaking which is horrible, Horrible servers, Horrible goodwill and desert system which its the most frustrating part and the worst part is that every new patch coming just feels worse, the game kicks you out, sometimes it bugs in the lobby, loading screen, by theSMITE starts feeling like a wonderful game, but thats just the beginning by the time you will mess with a lot of problems, Matchmaking which is horrible, Horrible servers, Horrible goodwill and desert system which its the most frustrating part and the worst part is that every new patch coming just feels worse, the game kicks you out, sometimes it bugs in the lobby, loading screen, by the time you will notice that spending 30$ dollars for a complete god pack which i didn't and later suffering every problem this game suffers, community obviously will be toxic as any other MOBAS, but the matchmaking make more toxic players because of the fact that you have to play with beginners even if you have mastery X with your gods and frustrate because most of matches you play with random people are matches where you have to carry them but obviously theres always 1 of 2 that makes your match worse after you did everything for making win to your team, Conquest which is the most important mode this game mode, has a HORRIBLE practice mode with bots, so you don't have a tutorial that makes you play better, but the technical problems this game just create more toxic players, so this is my review 0, because this game died for. Expand
  13. Jun 1, 2014
    Another Hi-Rex PAY TO WIN game! Very similarly to tribes you can pay to unlock every feature in the game which will give you an unfair advantage over free players. So enjoy smoking noobz if you shell out quiche brah; it doesn't make you a good player.
  14. Jul 11, 2014
    Although the community is great and the game is fun, it is ruined by the fact that maybe 5 champs run the game. Out of the maybe 4 dozen champs, only 5 are worth anything and if you dont play them you lose. End of story. Its no fun to play as people only play the 5 OP champs and you cant play the ones you want or you are guaranteed to lose. Ill stick to LoL, much better champ balance there.
  15. Dec 13, 2014
    This online Moba is fun, but under the wing of Hi Rez has increasingly become bad.

-the match making sucks. Reasons? I have 600+ games under my belt and am lvl 30 but I am being paired with idiots with no knowledge of the game.
    -most of the characters are broken/op or are completely bad. Just look up the newest gods abilities

At least it's a "free" game.
  16. Nov 23, 2014
    I must say that the game is really well done and the gameplay is really good, but this low score is based on the community of smite.
    i've played League of Legends for about 2 years now and i know what a toxic community is, but Smite really tops this because the game itself is not easy to play. So you get flamed as a new player for ks-ing and feeding and people don't even think about the new players that have to learn the game.
    i would not play this game if you're a player that wants a helpful and nice community to play with.

1. Aug 8, 2014
    Smite is alternative to Dota and LoL suited to beginners as well as veterans of the genre.
  2. Jul 23, 2014
    Third god perspective freshens up the MOBA genre but its potential was not fully utilized (e.g. you can jump, but there’s nowhere to jump to). Smite makes up for that with varied game modes and accessibility to inexperienced or casual players. [06/2014, p.58]
  3. May 19, 2014
    The product of Hi Rez Studios is well made, and offers different feelings from those of its competitors, thanks to the different camera angle and a fast paced gameplay.