Spec Ops: The Line PC

8.2

1. Apr 17, 2013
    Yes, I am late to the party, but I want my two cents worth.
    On face value, The Line isn't much.
    A stock standard, overly-macho, cover-based military shooter that will only excite the imagination of those who do not understand what makes a game good. This is not the case. What is really inside is possibly the most poignant and emotionally affecting plot I have ever experienced in a game.
    Yes, I am late to the party, but I want my two cents worth.
    On face value, The Line isn't much.
    This is not the case. What is really inside is possibly the most poignant and emotionally affecting plot I have ever experienced in a game. And I love it.
    Admittedly, the gameplay isn't much. On that front is relatively what you expect. Bad guy in front of you, kill him. Lots of bad guys in front of you, duck into cover and kill them, but not before a bit of fiddly negotiating with the cover system. This game is made for controller, but it is still easy enough to play with key board and mouse.
    The AI tend to overwhelm you with sheer numbers rather than outthink you, but this only a minor niggle, and if you're playing at a harder difficulty you'll be too busy kicking yourself for dying again to criticise their semi-suicidal behaviour.
    Graphically speaking, it wasn't jarring. The lighting was fine and I only spotted the occasional low-res texture (during gameplay that is, the cutscenes were riddled with them). Character detail was mildly fantastic, and Nolan North and Co. did a top-notch job with voices. Level design could have been better, but nothing felt too linear, and there were only a few vehicle sections which were really not too shabby in execution. Overall the gameplay presented about as much depth as one could expect from a linear shooter.

But were it not for the plot, I probably would not have bothered finishing this game.
    The thing that impressed me most about the plot is the connection it creates between the game and the player. Many games choose to have a silent protagonist in order to have the player imprint themselves on the protagonists identity. Yet The Line has an incredibly vocal main character and still I found I started to see a lot of myself in him. This is probably due to responsibility The Line forces you to take. Without giving too much away, I will say the game puts you in a few situations where you may hate yourself for the outcome you chose. The brutality of some of these moments are brilliantly portrayed, and there is one infamous moment in the game that distressed me so much I exited and did not play it again for a few weeks. The gigantic waves of enemies that you will eliminate unthinkingly throughout the game may seem out of place at first, but by the end their purpose is blindingly clear.
    The thoughts that The Line will plant in your head are disturbing, exhilarating, and nothing short of a gust of fresh air in terms of plot themes.
    And if you are somehow not convinced about the astounding depth of The Line, know this.
    A man by the name of Brendan Keogh wrote a 50,000 word critical analysis of the game. 50,000 words.

And the reason why I have given it 10 is because I do not acknowledge the multiplayer as part of the game. If you don't know the meaning of the words "tacked-on", play the multiplayer of The Line.
  2. May 6, 2013
    Incredible game, I had heard awful things before buying on steam for $8, but this game has blown me away. The story locked me in from the very beginning. Stories really cannot be more under rated now-a-days as most gameplay seems to be discarded for graphics and dlc
  3. Oct 5, 2013
    One of the best modern shooters to come out this year, The plot is constantly keeping you guessing and the ending is very mind blowing. I expected this to be a general modern FPS but it completely blew away my expectations. Very well done.
  4. Aug 11, 2013
    Many games try to capture what it's like for soldiers on the battlefield but most fail utterly, this game does it spectacularly, along with awesome graphics and good game play mechanics this is highly recommended
  5. Jul 29, 2014
    This is one of the best story driven games I have ever played. It makes Call of Duty and Battlefield look as deep as Sunday morning Marmaduke cartoon writing compared to All quite on the Western Front. This is the story of Martin Walker and his descent into the reality of war when he and his Delta team go into Dubai.

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a

This is a story told in a cover based modern shooter game, not a modern shooter game with a story to pass the time when the internet is out and you can't get in a quick match.

Buy this game. Play this game. Read all quite on the Western front.
  6. Dec 2, 2014
    The story is awesome, and well structured. It is probably the main attraction of the game. The gameplay is alright, there is not really anything new or ground breaking about it. Just plain and simple cover and shoot (it is however very satisfying to get a headshot and see your enemies' heads explode in slow motion.) The graphics as well as the level design is ok, but nothing breath taking.The story is awesome, and well structured. It is probably the main attraction of the game. The gameplay is alright, there is not really anything new or ground breaking about it. Just plain and simple cover and shoot (it is however very satisfying to get a headshot and see your enemies' heads explode in slow motion.) The graphics as well as the level design is ok, but nothing breath taking. It does not take a long time to finish the game, it can be done in 5-6 hours on the hardest difficulty available at your first playthrough. Overall a good game, which is easy to enjoy and a good experience. I can recommend it for anyone interested in 3rd person shooters and a good story. Expand
  7. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed this game. I'm not usually one for first third person shooters, but solidly enjoyed this. I got it as part of a pre-purchase of XCOM the Bureau, so was effectively free, and was pleasantly surprised. Although the mechanics were sometimes a little rough around the edges (ordering squad mates was not as intuitive or fleshed out as much as I would have liked), the story and dialogue kept me engaged. I really enjoyed the scenario and environment in this game, the sand storms and dunes made things interesting, and the movement between close indoors combat and outdoor combat, as well as lots of vertical movement and engagement, kept things fresh. This was really important to me, as in the end you are mainly fighting the same sort of troop again and again (though knives and shotguns would be pointed out to me by my squad mates they still just needed a few bullets to take down the biggest change in type would be heavies, which required a bit of work). The large range of scenarios for engaging these homogenous enemies made it feel fresh up until the end. The story was top notch, and was very happy with the ending I got (1 of 4 or 5 I think), with enough foreshadowing throughout that the twist seems legitimate and not out of the blue. I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to replay the whole thing through again, but I very much enjoyed the ~5 hours I put into it (again, it was free). Expand
  8. Nov 18, 2013
    While it's mediocre third person action fest albeit with some gorgeous set pieces with a soundtrack of Alice in Chains. Björk The Black Angels, Black Mountain, Deep Purple, Inner Circle's, Jimi Hendrix, Martha and the Vandellas Mogwai, Nine Inch Nails and Giuseppe Verdi helps a lot to compensate
  9. Oct 26, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line takes you to a war zone in Dubai, where you take the place of Captain Martin Walker, who is accompanied by his Delta team: Lieutenant Alphonso Adams and Sargent John Lugo, team that goes to Dubai in order to bring Colonel John Konrad back to the U.S.

During this story, you'll face a lot of difficult decisions, which will put your morals in play, "should I kill a civilian over a colleague from the army?" "Should I take revenge?" and it is all up to you, and your choices will decide how each "level" of the game goes, not significantly, but it'll change depending on your decisions.

If you like to get completely into a masterly crafted storyline, you definitely must play this game.
  10. Jun 25, 2014
    Although the game play is nothing special and could be considered very bad, that is not what this game is made for. This has to have one of the best, if not, the best story line in a long time. It shows what war is like.

It does not make you feel good about your choices, it shows how horrific war is, and what killing people is actually like. Not your typical stories like Call of Duty, where you kill terrorists or the "bad guys" for America.

For a game that makes you feel like human garbage, it's amazing. Again though, don't buy it if you want multiplayer.
  11. Jul 10, 2014
    Finally I get to play this controversial game (because I want to read the book "killing is harmless" solely written on this game).

It is a short game, I finished it (at least the majority of the narrative) in 5 hours. But the gameplay, to be honest, is mediocre if not horrible. Plus Multiplayer is dead. Graphics, let's say, mediocre again because it is really not impressive. The whole weight of the game goes to the narrative. It is really a anti-FPS shooter game. I even doubt if they actually made the other aspects of the game deliberately awful so as the player can focus on the "shock" of the narrative. Thus it is most fun to play this game with the expectation that this is just another shooter like GoW etc.

The choices (and how impotent they are) the player are asked to make reminded me of Mass Effect series particularly 3 and its ending. The psychological manipulation and guilt-driven portrayal of war all aims at making the player uncomfortable (possibly contemplating). The hero is the villain. It is not the usual "there is no clear cut between hero and villain" rehtorics, but the entire dichotomy is destroyed. There is no justice in a war and it does not matter which side you choose. When the soldier is bodily on the battlefield, the gore and brutality does permanent damage to him. It affects the protagonist to its core while the he strives to maintain his legitimacy through construction of himself as the hero regardless of what he had done to many lives.

Now I am going to read that whole book, if I ever got the time.
  12. Jul 13, 2014
    I played this game for a few hours and I have no motivation to continue. I have heard that the story is fantastic and really brings up the horrid nature of war and survival, but so far all it did was wimp out of a chance of really making the player feel uncomfortable about what there doing by having all the enemies be terrible evil people rather than just folks trying to survive. When youI played this game for a few hours and I have no motivation to continue. I have heard that the story is fantastic and really brings up the horrid nature of war and survival, but so far all it did was wimp out of a chance of really making the player feel uncomfortable about what there doing by having all the enemies be terrible evil people rather than just folks trying to survive. When you take that away all you have is the gameplay, and this is the most painfully generic third person shooter I have ever played, I mean it, It brings absolutely nothing to the table. I was disappointed. The good parts of it are that the visuals are really cool and there are some amazingly creative and awe striking levels that really show the power of nature and really try and convey the desperation of the dead city, voice acting and characters are enjoyable too. But the GAME part of the game is so painfully generic that Its no fun to play. I quit when the main character fell of a **** building for no reason and survived, I normally would not focus on this s much if the game was not trying to be realistic and gritty. Expand
  13. Dec 31, 2014
    The greatest game i wish i never played. The gameplay, graphics and mechanics are all well put together but nothing special. Where this game truly shines is in the story. A story which emotionally destroyed me for a day. 10/10
  14. Sep 8, 2014
    Spec Ops The Line has a history fantastic.the history of this game and more impressive than the TLOUS.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  15. Sep 10, 2015
    Finishing the campaign in Spec Ops: The Line, was something that I wanted to do because the game always made me want to come back for more, to find out what happens next in the story. However, as you progress, the plot becomes darker and darker. Set backs and utter tragedies experienced by your character increase in both frequency and gravity as the story unwinds.

I kept thinking that

I kept thinking that there would be some sort of victory at the conclusion of the campaign -- alas, no. Almost everyone is dead, and your character is torn to **** mentally. The game does a good job of demonstrating a couple of eternal truths: (1) war is utterly horrible, and (2) "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Despite some of the depressing plot elements, I did very much enjoy playing this game. 9/10.
  16. Jul 20, 2016
    Spec Ops: The Line starts out with what feels like any other shooter. Like a scene right out of Aladdin. Except the magic carpet is a helicopter, the singing is machine gun fire, and the whole new world is shooting other helicopters. What really threw me off is that your squad mates are actually interesting. They face some moral dilemmas while you're doing your typical video game shooterSpec Ops: The Line starts out with what feels like any other shooter. Like a scene right out of Aladdin. Except the magic carpet is a helicopter, the singing is machine gun fire, and the whole new world is shooting other helicopters. What really threw me off is that your squad mates are actually interesting. They face some moral dilemmas while you're doing your typical video game shooter thing but what really threw me off is that the comic relief actually made me chuckle a few times. Expand
  17. Jun 30, 2012
    Surprised me. I did not expect this game to be anything but average. And yet it has a dope story, and the finest backdrop scenario I've seen in modern gaming. I mean, come on...abandoned Dubai, where half the buildings are under sand the other half blaze high into the sky. It's fantastic, and the set pieces are top notch. I'd say I'm halfway through playing the singleplayer. TheSurprised me. I did not expect this game to be anything but average. And yet it has a dope story, and the finest backdrop scenario I've seen in modern gaming. I mean, come on...abandoned Dubai, where half the buildings are under sand the other half blaze high into the sky. It's fantastic, and the set pieces are top notch. I'd say I'm halfway through playing the singleplayer. The action so far is varied and interesting, despite what some reviewers are saying. I find it rewarding to pop heads, because when you do time slows down for a second allowing you to line up that next shot. Beautiful idea. And when large explosives go off RIGHT NEXT to a guy his body disappears into a mist. Haha, Awesome. Story is interesting so far. Maybe not a perfect 10 game, but there are reviews putting down 0 as the review score.... Saying this game is worth nothing is basically lying and makes you look like a dick. Expand
  18. Jul 7, 2012
    one of the best games i've played this year, and certainly the best shooter i've played so far..
    why? not by its gameplay mechanics, which are basicaly the same as most 3rd person shooters you see.. but by the story, which might be the best i've seen in a videogame.
    the soundtrack is also amazing and only brings more depth to the game. one of the few shooting games i actually enjoyed
    the soundtrack is also amazing and only brings more depth to the game.
    one of the few shooting games i actually enjoyed from the start to the end and the first of its kind i've ended in this year..
    truly a masterpiece based on the "heart of darkness" book with a very competent multiplayer, that proves that any shooter can have a solid singleplayer even better than the multiplayer (which is also great) and still be engaging and worth buying.

a punch in the guts of major publishers like activision, ea and ubisoft.
  19. Jun 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the game. Its very different from what I've ever played on the computer. If your into graphics and want a full HD experience then you might have a bad time with this game.The game is naturally bright and will cause some pixelation problems during cut scenes. Make sure to turn the brightness down just a bit. The gamma setting is tricky to use though. Game might end up too dark or too bright. The controls take awhile to get used to. I recommend playing with a controller. The cover system is interesting. It's similar to Ghost Recon but more defined and stable. The multiplayer is OK. It's extremely rare that you will find a match. If you do find one there's a guarantee that there will be cheating. Only play it if you have nothing better to do after you finish the main story. The main story is raw. There are a few scenes that show a lot of death. As a warning, The "White Phosphorus" mission will make you sick to your stomach and probably make you feel depressed. I made the mistake of getting too attached to the story. It felt is if i was feeling the character's pain and suffering during that gruesome segment.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros:
    Amazing story. Many twists and turns.
    The setting is new. not the same old locations

Cons:
    AI is frustrating at times. AI tends to push you into fire fights.
    No revive system for your character in the main story. Controls are clunky. Might accidentally get stuck on the wrong wall for cover
    Multiplayer is almost dead already and its only day one.
    Way too many exploits on MP maps. Lighting is way too heavy. Reflections and major light sources will cause lag on occasion.
  20. Jun 29, 2012
    The campaign for this game was amazing. The cover system is the only thing that really needs work. (I need some more characters)
  21. Jul 2, 2012
    While modern games offer a simple shooter with cinematic effects, Spec Ops: The line differs from it in one way. It's interesting, unlike other third person shooters out there lately. Making offer here makes an impact on you, makes you sad or happy. A game that everyone should buy this year.
  22. Dec 28, 2012
    Spec ops: The Line is a really great game if you are looking for a deep and well-told story. As a shooter it is mostly average: the controls work in most situations, there is a reasonable amount of different locations the graphics are nice although sound is a bit lacking.

So if you are looking for a shooter and don't care about the story you will get a few hours of decent entertainment with the campaign but for you it will probably be something 5-ish.
    If you are looking for a good multiplayer experience you might just rage-quit the game and look for a way to rate it below 0.
    But if you play games mostly for their story, like I do, you will love it and for you it may very well be a 9 or 10.
  23. Jul 5, 2012
    Like many have said, the Shooting and cover mechanics are clunky and NOT the strength of this game. The game shines through in its narrative, the great story was the reason I continued to play. As someone who can quickly tire of a single player campaign this one kept me focused until the very end. However since there is a lack of replayability and multiplayer is nothing exceptional so ILike many have said, the Shooting and cover mechanics are clunky and NOT the strength of this game. The game shines through in its narrative, the great story was the reason I continued to play. As someone who can quickly tire of a single player campaign this one kept me focused until the very end. However since there is a lack of replayability and multiplayer is nothing exceptional so I cannot recommend this at full price. I picked mine up for $25. If you are looking for a single player game that is completely different from most "Rah! Rah! Go America" shooters, check this out. Finally having never seen "Apocalypse Now", I cannot compare the stories, however others have. Expand
  24. Jul 6, 2012
    Overall, an excellent, dark story. Heavily influenced by Conrad's Heart of Darkness. The gameplay is standard issue for a military style shooter, not poorly designed, but not exceptional either. What truly sets this game apart from others in this genre is it's story. The player is forced to make difficult decisions that make this game have an emotional impact. This is rare in any game, letOverall, an excellent, dark story. Heavily influenced by Conrad's Heart of Darkness. The gameplay is standard issue for a military style shooter, not poorly designed, but not exceptional either. What truly sets this game apart from others in this genre is it's story. The player is forced to make difficult decisions that make this game have an emotional impact. This is rare in any game, let alone a shooter in this day and age. Definitely worth buying. Expand
  25. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible story, CIA vs US Army vs Delta very dramatic story that bring me a total different felling of TPS game. This game is not a good game, (suck control, bad AI of teammate, worst point that enemy swap), but every scene, step-by-step bring you stress on it. It makes you feel you are really in Dubai, and deal with those problem.
    At last, "There's always a choice!" but in the game "There is really not"
  26. Jul 16, 2012
    This game has an outstanding story! Yes, some of it could be a little quirky....but it is still one of the best fps stories I've ever encountered. Also, the game has excellent character progression. The gun gameplay, is simple cover and shoot... Nothing special. The level design, visuals, and AI are mediocre to downright awful. Conclusion: get it for the story, but don't buy it for fullThis game has an outstanding story! Yes, some of it could be a little quirky....but it is still one of the best fps stories I've ever encountered. Also, the game has excellent character progression. The gun gameplay, is simple cover and shoot... Nothing special. The level design, visuals, and AI are mediocre to downright awful. Conclusion: get it for the story, but don't buy it for full price. There are a ton of places to get it for $25 Expand
  27. Jul 30, 2012
    Where is the love? I don't want to give a good story away, so I'll talk about what I liked. Graphics are good, but the story as mentioned is great! It definitely sucked me in and this was definitely a game for me to replay at least the end to get all the endings. I also think this game is a work of art. I also can't remember another game that has told me, 'If you were a better person,Where is the love? I don't want to give a good story away, so I'll talk about what I liked. Graphics are good, but the story as mentioned is great! It definitely sucked me in and this was definitely a game for me to replay at least the end to get all the endings. I also think this game is a work of art. I also can't remember another game that has told me, 'If you were a better person, you would not be here' or said something like, What is necessary and what is good are the same. Expand
  28. Aug 23, 2012
    No Spoilers - First off this is a stunning looking game. Some have commented on it being bland visually but they're missing the point IMHO. You get a real sense of being in a sand decimated environment so much so you feel like you've got sand in every orifice. I know I felt the need to drink iced Cola all the time. Its beautifully done. It feels more like you're in a movie than a game (inNo Spoilers - First off this is a stunning looking game. Some have commented on it being bland visually but they're missing the point IMHO. You get a real sense of being in a sand decimated environment so much so you feel like you've got sand in every orifice. I know I felt the need to drink iced Cola all the time. Its beautifully done. It feels more like you're in a movie than a game (in a good way) you move constantly from action to cut-scenes that blend so seamlessly that you think its you holding conversations. Its gritty and you feel like you're in a dirty war & worldly ones of us will empathise with that feeling. There's nothing glamorous in that sense! You're making tough calls throughout and it wrenches sometimes. The end game is one of the best endings of a game I have ever played of all time. Some might not get it I did and it made so much more sense and gave meaning to my gameplay as a result. Control system (like most games) took some adjusting to and thats the only reason I didn't give it 10. edit couldnt give half scores so gave it 10 otherwise it would be 9.5 Expand
  29. Aug 25, 2012
    First off, the game play itself is good, not great. Combat can be a bit of a slog, and I always found myself wanting to just turn the game off.
    But here's the beautiful thing: this works perfectly towards the narrative. By far, this is the most effective and engaging story I have experienced in any medium. Its unabashed deconstruction of the modern shooter genre is near perfect, and it always feels like the game is yelling to you: "Is this really what you want? Is this your idea of fun?" There were so many moments where I just had to stop- it was that moving.
    If you're looking for something fun, this is not your game, but if you want to see what a mature game can do, play on.
  30. Aug 27, 2012
    fantastic, thought provoking game. Narrative is king in this game, no other game I've played was as well thought out or intelligently presented. It makes "would you kindly" look like a quote from dora the explorer. finally a game that deals with some challenging issues, finally a game has a set of balls, a well constructed idea, and a dev team that can put it all together.
  31. Nov 1, 2012
    If you love your shooters then this game gives you everything, great action, game play and a great story. I am a FPS person myself but this kept me gripped until the end. An underrated Gem if I ever did see one.
  32. Nov 24, 2012
    This game needs to have a high metacritic score, just for it's boldness. It's just incredible how interesting and compelling it gets to be, without being "fun".
  33. Dec 26, 2012
    Spec Ops no es un juego perfecto, pero tiene más ideas, en términos de historia y de ambientación, que la enorme mayoría de los fichines del género. Es esencial para el que disfrute de un sólido juego de acción y sienta que ya lo vio todo.
  34. Jul 15, 2013
    One of the best games I've played in years!! The cover-based system is even more fun than Max Payne 3, and it also has auto-aim --which always makes the game a lot more fun and combats more spectacular, when using a game-pad.
  35. Dec 31, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line. Only took me four hours to complete the campaign. I very much enjoyed this game and it had a great story line, there were very many parts in this game that are stunning. The visuals are fantastic, but the mechanics and some of the little things are weird. I found myself taking many screen shots of awesome landscapes and gruesome sights. Another plus, the main characterSpec Ops: The Line. Only took me four hours to complete the campaign. I very much enjoyed this game and it had a great story line, there were very many parts in this game that are stunning. The visuals are fantastic, but the mechanics and some of the little things are weird. I found myself taking many screen shots of awesome landscapes and gruesome sights. Another plus, the main character is voiced by none other than Nathan Drake. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  36. Dec 7, 2016
    I just had to say that the depth in strory telling of this game is amazing. The reveals are the best i have seen even if the game play is so so. It is worth a quick play through just for the experiance as a whole. Watch a youtube video about the hidden meaning and it will blow your mind away!!! JUST DO IT!!!!!!
  37. Jan 11, 2013
    The MP is not as well as the SP,I love the cover system,and the story of the game is good,but the MP just make me feel down,it sucks.that was bad,yeah,really bad.If Yager can give me a better MP,I think the scores of the game can be better.
  38. Feb 2, 2013
    I am a veteran shooter player, and Spec Ops: The Line gave me an unexpectedly psychological/emotional journey. For this reason more than any other I would highly recommend all military shooter fans to play it. Finishing Spec Ops made me realize how series like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Battlefield have utterly dumbed down the psychological aspect of warfare. Spec Ops puts youI am a veteran shooter player, and Spec Ops: The Line gave me an unexpectedly psychological/emotional journey. For this reason more than any other I would highly recommend all military shooter fans to play it. Finishing Spec Ops made me realize how series like Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and Battlefield have utterly dumbed down the psychological aspect of warfare. Spec Ops puts you through some crazy and while the gameplay is enjoyable the overall game's story experience is most definitely one of psychological discomfort. I don't see this is a failure, since there are already too many feel-good games out there; I am not dissing those games either, just making the point that as serious adult gamers we do need to get an experience like Spec Ops.

Lately there has been a lot of debate about whether violent games cause real world violence. Again as a veteran gamer I think this is a nonsense argument, it is guns in the hands of insane people who cause the problems. But for anyone who think games glorify killing and violence, they need to have a look at Spec Ops The Line.

So, story-wise and character-wise the game is extremely good, gunplay-wise I'd rate is good but not great. I generally prefer first-person to third-person combat, but I understand that in a story-focused game the developer may want to present the game from a more cinematic perspective. However I would still have vastly preferred the ability to use ironsights on all the guns, third-person combat at all times (except for the rare scoped guns) made for inaccurate shooting way too often, where you rely on the gun's random accuracy to hit the enemies. Greater accuracy (that would be afforded through iron-sights coupled with smart burst-firing) would have made the often-tough battles more manageable.

I would give the game a 10 if the combat were fixed (aiming down ironsights allowed on all guns), so overall its an 9 for me.
  39. Feb 4, 2013
    Positives: Storyline and some of the choices are very good, not excellent. No other positives.

Negatives: Controls are terrible!!! I've never seen so many buttons to do stupid things. Also, some buttons don't respond when you press them. Programming is shotty as getting the first shot on an enemy does nothing some of the time; absolutely horrible. Achievements or buildups to achievements are just given at random.

I am very disappointed with this game. I want my money and my time back.
  40. Feb 15, 2013
    This game takes the generic shooter game and turns it on it's head. An amazing story sets the pace with many unexpected twists and turns. This game not only critiques the genre of shooters it even leaves you, the player with a greater perspective with gaming. However it does come with it's faults which is specifically the way it handles combat and ai systems. This can be discounted thoughThis game takes the generic shooter game and turns it on it's head. An amazing story sets the pace with many unexpected twists and turns. This game not only critiques the genre of shooters it even leaves you, the player with a greater perspective with gaming. However it does come with it's faults which is specifically the way it handles combat and ai systems. This can be discounted though as it critiquing the shooter genre and tricking you into thinking this is an ordinary game. Despite all odds this game has detoured away from the Call of Duty shooter that we know today and set things straight. Expand
  41. Jul 22, 2013
    Don't believe the hype about the story. The gameplay is alright I guess but nothing amazing. I guess if you thought Bioshock was deep you might get into this too...
  42. Mar 28, 2013
    Perhaps containing one of the best storyline in gaming, Spec Ops the line is an experience that comes along extremely rarely and is a must have. While the gameplay admittedly falls flat and fails to be anything revolutionary, the Heart of Darkness inspired story really shines though with its themes and inglorious war and really gives you an emotional experience as you witness the slowPerhaps containing one of the best storyline in gaming, Spec Ops the line is an experience that comes along extremely rarely and is a must have. While the gameplay admittedly falls flat and fails to be anything revolutionary, the Heart of Darkness inspired story really shines though with its themes and inglorious war and really gives you an emotional experience as you witness the slow spiral down Walker experiences though the game. Expand
  43. Apr 13, 2013
    Spec Ops: The Line is a 3rd person modern military shooter. I know what you're thinking, "another generic shooter". Yes, the game follows the established pattern of big explosions and cinematics, but its done in an entertaining manner. Where the game really comes to life is in the narrative and the cast. If you don't mind trudging through a scripted shooter for a great story, then I wouldSpec Ops: The Line is a 3rd person modern military shooter. I know what you're thinking, "another generic shooter". Yes, the game follows the established pattern of big explosions and cinematics, but its done in an entertaining manner. Where the game really comes to life is in the narrative and the cast. If you don't mind trudging through a scripted shooter for a great story, then I would recommend this game to you. I finished it on "insane" in about 6 hours. So it is fairly short, but worth the entertainment if it is on steam sale or bundled with another game. Expand
  44. Aug 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It has some unique storytelling elements which I have not yet seen in any game so far. Spec Ops: the line does throw some scenarios which really makes the player feel bad about himself.

An example of this scenario was when I was looking down at running soldiers, trying to sprint away from the bullets which I and my companions were haling down onto them. They just ran, for their lives. They did not try to stop me, fight me or otherwise hinder me. They just ran. This left me feeling bad about myself, unethical in a way, to shoot people who just are scared.

The games way of throwing these scenarios at the player is the strongest point in the game. The game does not stop, it just continues like nothing. If you accidentally shoot a running civilian, fine, the game does not pause, does not give you a "game over" status, it just continues, but it left me feeling bad, almost dirty.

Dialogue is, meh. It gets to many thrown in the soup sometimes. However the conflict between the players two sidekicks are sometimes interesting.

Controls are broken. It becomes clear that this is a lousy PC-Port. The developers decided to bind several functions to one button. While this is logical on a controller there is no reason to do this on a pc.
    Clunky is the word to describe it. I got me killed a couple of times.

The graphics are impressive, which is to be expected from an UE3 game. It is not bad looking at all, but it is neither as good as the very top of some other games like Crysis or Metro: last light.
    Most impressive is the sandstorms who occasionally whips up tons of sand around the player, obscuring his/hers vision.

If the graphics are good, the gameplay itself is not. Combine weak AI (standard rush to death pattern), uninteresting guns, bad controls and one or two to many office-buildings to traverse, it is monotonous and repetitive.

What really grinds me is how the developers are using scripted-events a little to often.

On one scenario I am walking through a huge pile of dead people, and the restrict my movement for no good reason. It is like they are trying to say

"Look how horrible this is"

Well, I could find that out myself, thanks.

Spec ops: the line sure has its great moments, but it is never fun to play it.
    It has interesting ideas, and executes those well, but otherwise, it fails.
  45. Jun 27, 2013
    I read about this game a long time ago and finally decided to buy it a few months ago when it was on sale. I must say, I am impressed by it. The gameplay is not unique in any aspect but fairly satisfying, graphics are really nice but what was seriously positive is the story. This game made me think about the topic of war a lot more than games like Call of Duty do. This is really a gameI read about this game a long time ago and finally decided to buy it a few months ago when it was on sale. I must say, I am impressed by it. The gameplay is not unique in any aspect but fairly satisfying, graphics are really nice but what was seriously positive is the story. This game made me think about the topic of war a lot more than games like Call of Duty do. This is really a game that I will remember for a long time even though I doubt I will replay much of it. Expand
  46. Jun 30, 2013
    At first glance, the game might seem to be another third person shooter clone, with nice cover mechanics, shooting mechanics, and gameplay mechanics, like the integration of sand into combat, but it is so much more than that. Quite honestly I picked up Spec Ops: The Line as a cheap sale on steam, expecting, like I said above, a generic third person shooter in a new environment. StartingAt first glance, the game might seem to be another third person shooter clone, with nice cover mechanics, shooting mechanics, and gameplay mechanics, like the integration of sand into combat, but it is so much more than that. Quite honestly I picked up Spec Ops: The Line as a cheap sale on steam, expecting, like I said above, a generic third person shooter in a new environment. Starting off, the game sort of feels like a drag, same sort of characters you might find in a modern military shooter. Soon, though, I became attached to one character in particular: Lugo. No spoilers here, by the way. Anyhow, he seemed to genuinely care about what was going on in the environment. Basically, all the characters soon did. The way you face the problems of war, and soon the even deeper underlying problems that unmask themselves as you move into the 12th and 13th chapters, unlike any other soldier you might have suited up as in any other FPS or TPS, is genuinely refreshing, interesting, and furthermore makes the game a completely unique title. Like many other great titles, it has an awesome ending, and builds up very well in the meantime.
    Story-wise, this game is great. Something that'll keep you thinking, especially after you've made your choices. Like so many other games that allow you to make a major choice and influence the ending and development of the story, you begin to wonder: "did I make the right choice?" Often times, this causes you to be involved in the story they've placed you in, and furthermore causes you to honestly enjoy (or sometimes, in this case, not enjoy) what you're playing and watching. 10/10
    Graphics-wise, this game is gorgeous, save a few texture effects that seem a tad low budget. Other than that, the engine truly shines, masking the terrible destruction Dubai has undergone. It makes the buildings look wonderful and the destruction look real. 9/10
    Sound-wise, this game really knows how to place the music. The soundtrack included in the game is played at all the right moments, especially around the ending. On top of that, the noise and effects are genuinely special, sounding real and effective. Furthermore, the voice acting is top-tier and sounds very real. 9/10
    Gameplay-wise, this game could use some help. As I said, when you begin playing, it seems very generic, basically, because it is. It's a very generic shooter, on top of the fact that the controls are out of place. I mean, "space" to run? Who thought of that? However, the gameplay mechanics orchestrated in each fight are genuinely fun to play with, and tend to bring some originality and light to the otherwise dusty and unoriginal style of play. 7/10

This game isn't about a war, shooting up bad guys, or being the hero. A lot of times, it's about you, your team, and the choices you make. Furthermore, it's a game that looks deeply into being the bad guy at times. It looks into emotional appeal of the gamer, and really hits home. There is a multiplayer inclusion of Spec Ops: The Line, but to put it bluntly, it's lame, not fun, and might ruin the experience you have with this otherwise legendary game. Stay away from the multiplayer. Only other criticism is: it's short. I covered the story on "Suicide Mission" difficulty in 4 hours (or so Steam says.) However, I'd say the story is replayable, as long as you don't mind trudging through the sloppy controls again.

Overall, I rate this game a 9/10 Legendary game with a great story. Definitely worth buying.
  47. Aug 7, 2013
    Although adding nothing new to the genre gameplay-wise this shooter is an outstanding piece of art when it comes to terms of story and picture.
    Yes, the graphics aren't topnotch but they are good, the AI is close to awful and the level-layout is pretty simple yet all this becomes insignificant when you get blown away by stunningly beautiful Levels (speaking of the crafted images not the layout) and a story so dark and moving that I just sat there staring at my monitor for what felt like minutes more than once.
    Spec Ops: The Line isn't by any means a great shooter yet it tells a unique story which makes a playthrough well worth your time.
  48. Sep 7, 2013
    I played the PC version. Standard third person 100% shooter where you're led by the nose between set pieces. You've seen it a hundred times before: you can take dozens of hits, the world consists of rows of waist-high cover, your health regenerates in seconds, the enemy respawns endlessly, yada yada yada. The graphics are par for the course, controls are awful, the story ridiculous.

If

If you like this type of game... well, shame on you, you're the reason PC games suck so badly nowadays.
  49. Sep 25, 2013
    THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT. If you want a 3rd person shooter with great gameplay, mechanics, and an online experience play Gears of War. This game is all about the story, while GoW has a great story line, it does not leave you floored and questioning life, mortality, and morality quite like Spec Ops does. if you call yourself a gamer of any genre, this is a MUST; if you're an PvP bro,THE LONG AND THE SHORT OF IT. If you want a 3rd person shooter with great gameplay, mechanics, and an online experience play Gears of War. This game is all about the story, while GoW has a great story line, it does not leave you floored and questioning life, mortality, and morality quite like Spec Ops does. if you call yourself a gamer of any genre, this is a MUST; if you're an PvP bro, leave it alone. Expand
  50. Oct 8, 2013
    suprb .........best gameplay best graphic best story line .........best third person shooter after long time.......max wepon choice .....and gameplay is some what gears of war..
  51. Nov 29, 2013
    If you only care about gameplay, this game isn't for you. Otherwise, it's incredible, it probably has the best story I have ever seen in a game, but the gameplay can be quite frustrating to get past, as I said before, if you care about story, you should definately play this game.
    P.S. The multi-player should not be considered a part of the game, it was added by the publishers and is to quote one of the devs: "A cancerous growth"
  52. Dec 26, 2013
    Just finished playing this game. I must say, it is one of the best games I have ever played. Graphics wise, can't complain. I have seen better as well as worse.

The storyline is just, it touching. Having family members that have gone through PTSD, and having played this game after I was done with it gave it the high praise for "hitting home" to the player. With some scenes being really graphic, tied in with the intense firefights, makes this game, in my books, one of the best games of the year.

The cover mechanics are a little wonky, and takes some getting used to but once you have been broken in, they will come second hand to you.

Spec Ops: The Line is a game I would definitely recommend to my friends/family.
  53. Dec 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was a great experience, the story is great, i am not a hardcore gamer but i can say it is a good game.
    Spoilers: all the 4 endings are good, my first ending was to go home after epilogue, and the next was freedom to do anything. these were awesome.
  54. Jan 24, 2014
    Story: 10 (or more)
    Gameplay: 9,5
    Graphics: 9,5.

It's a general FPS gameplay, but the story it is the best that I've seen. Deserves a higher score.
  55. Feb 4, 2014
    Пожалуй самый лучший шутер в который я играл. Прошёл игру за 7 часов с 2 подходов.

+ Графика
    + Геймплей
    + СЮЖЕТ!
    + Дубай
    + Нет минусов за который можно зацепится

Советую всем поиграть, не пожалеете
    Ставлю: 10/10
  56. Apr 12, 2014
    nice story with ultimate graphics...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  57. May 13, 2014
    Game is awesome. Playing the game, soon or later you are asking yourself: Is it all necessary? IMO One of the best shooter I've ever played. Very good game
  58. Jun 1, 2014
    Awesome game long demo everything great (could play on mac) but then the end. I was very disappointed i thought the end will be better. i would give the game 9.5/10 but the end was very bad.
  59. Aug 4, 2014
    I really see all the great in the game,the gameplay,the story the weapons everything is amazing!
    Highly recommended and I want to say that this story can relly have shocking ending if you play it right!
  60. Sep 1, 2014
    First off the early story of the game is quite interesting, though they never explain what exactly happened with Dubai. Then it goes preachy. This isn't the subtle "war is bad" moral quandary one might expect with a few moral choices, every chance it gets, it beats over the head with the message. Even during loading screens where it asks "do you feel like a hero yet?" or "how manyFirst off the early story of the game is quite interesting, though they never explain what exactly happened with Dubai. Then it goes preachy. This isn't the subtle "war is bad" moral quandary one might expect with a few moral choices, every chance it gets, it beats over the head with the message. Even during loading screens where it asks "do you feel like a hero yet?" or "how many Americans have you killed today?" There are some upsides to the game, plenty of weapons to choose from to kill enemies with (hint: those would be Americans), a great soundtrack featuring some cool classic rock songs. One firefight that was cool was in a tower in Dubai (most of them are actually) and they had nowhere to run, nowhere to hide by Martha And The Vandellas, all while hunting down enemy forces. Now to the truly awful. The mechanics. It seems the designers were sick during that section of development and just phoned it in. I honestly want to know what genius decided to map the sprint, cover and action to the same button. The AI is basic, and that goes for both sides. The collision detection is a joke, I managed to get shot through cover almost constantly. The game had potential, I've played bad games simply for the story. If a story drags me in then I can suffer through mechanics that were designed by a team of four year olds. What I can't suffer is when I pay for a game and the dev team gets preachy and bashes me over the head with the same message for every level for 8+ levels. Eventually I stopped playing because of that simple fact. I would recommend avoiding the game and finding a game worth your money. I cannot fathom who the target market is for this game, unless there's a demographic that likes being told that they're evil and disturbed individuals every time they load the game. Honestly, avoid this one folks, even if you see it in the bargain bin. It's just not worth it. Expand
  61. Dec 17, 2014
    I am truly speechless, Amazing Game... Great Story, good gameplay and Mind-blowing ending...
    I don't know why some people voted 0/10, unless they come from Call Of Duty there is no reason for such a thing I think this is one of the best games that come out in the last 10 years
  62. HMG
    Jul 8, 2015
    When I look back at my experience with Spec ops: The Line it's feels like looking back at times I had with a very close friend. That may seem quite silly to you but just bare with me. The thing that set's Spec ops apart from other games is it's story, it's so immersive that I actually finished the game in one go.

But let's talk about the bad's first so I can sing it's praise at the end.

But let's talk about the bad's first so I can sing it's praise at the end. The main thing the game get's criticised for is it's gameplay and it's number of cutscenes. The gameplay can feel it bit clumsy and rough around the edges. It's definetly not your polished third person gears of war experience that we've all come to expect from these type of games.
    Then second the cutscenes, some people would argue the their are just to much of them, I'm not one of them. I feel like their just their to guide us through the story and never ones felt annoyed by them, but that's opinion I guess.

Now the things I did like. First the graphics are okay, but together with some very well designed physics effects you never ones doubt that your in a desert. Then the experience, you do feel like you're fighting a war, and throughout the game you will grow to resent yourself as much or even more then your enemies. Combat is fun but with some occasionally enemies just rushing your position or running straight through the open, but non of that could drag me out of the fantastic experience I had with the game.
    And then thing the ties it all together the story. the story is more compelling and immersive then any other that I've encountered before. It drags you through the game just unable to stop playing until you reach it's climax that will **** with your mind in multiple ways.

So the main question, should you buy this game? Absolutely!!! Unless your one of those guys who only crave multiplayer and graphics then their is nothing for you here. But if you're like me, on who demands but story, atmosphere and gameplay, this is the game that will come closer then any other in recent years.

For me this game gets a 8 out of 10, it has it's problems and flaws but non of them where able to stop me from enjoying myself with the game.
    But then again who am I? Go out and form an opinion of yourself :)
  63. Nov 10, 2015
    Spec ops the line has great story.sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Aug 10, 2012
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]