8.2

1. Jul 1, 2012
    I think the story was quite engageing and I fast felt like I was a part of it. One of the best features in this title is the story because it's quite deep and well writen. The graphics are pretty solid and what you would expect from a multiplatform game. However the things that drag this game down is the shooting part. The controls are quite bad and atleas I don't get any flow in myI think the story was quite engageing and I fast felt like I was a part of it. One of the best features in this title is the story because it's quite deep and well writen. The graphics are pretty solid and what you would expect from a multiplatform game. However the things that drag this game down is the shooting part. The controls are quite bad and atleas I don't get any flow in my movement due to a clunky cover system. But mostly it's the shooting part that doesn't tickle my fancy. To me it feels soulless and there are no feel of the weapons. But the game is atleast according to me a solid action experiance with a good and wellwriten storyline. Expand
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    I'm changing my review because I pulled a rookie move. If you are like me and have an xbox controller plugged into the PC, the game controls & tutorial want to focus on that controller, not keyboard settings. I play only certain types of games with a controller. FPS is not one of them. Even if you tell it to not use a controller in the options, it still does the entire tutorial withI'm changing my review because I pulled a rookie move. If you are like me and have an xbox controller plugged into the PC, the game controls & tutorial want to focus on that controller, not keyboard settings. I play only certain types of games with a controller. FPS is not one of them. Even if you tell it to not use a controller in the options, it still does the entire tutorial with controller bindings. So it stinks that you have to remove the controller in order for the game to talk to you in PC speak (WASD)... so to speak. Expand
  3. Aug 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It has some unique storytelling elements which I have not yet seen in any game so far. Spec Ops: the line does throw some scenarios which really makes the player feel bad about himself.

An example of this scenario was when I was looking down at running soldiers, trying to sprint away from the bullets which I and my companions were haling down onto them. They just ran, for their lives. They did not try to stop me, fight me or otherwise hinder me. They just ran. This left me feeling bad about myself, unethical in a way, to shoot people who just are scared.

The games way of throwing these scenarios at the player is the strongest point in the game. The game does not stop, it just continues like nothing. If you accidentally shoot a running civilian, fine, the game does not pause, does not give you a "game over" status, it just continues, but it left me feeling bad, almost dirty.

Dialogue is, meh. It gets to many thrown in the soup sometimes. However the conflict between the players two sidekicks are sometimes interesting.

Controls are broken. It becomes clear that this is a lousy PC-Port. The developers decided to bind several functions to one button. While this is logical on a controller there is no reason to do this on a pc.
    Clunky is the word to describe it. I got me killed a couple of times.

The graphics are impressive, which is to be expected from an UE3 game. It is not bad looking at all, but it is neither as good as the very top of some other games like Crysis or Metro: last light.
    Most impressive is the sandstorms who occasionally whips up tons of sand around the player, obscuring his/hers vision.

If the graphics are good, the gameplay itself is not. Combine weak AI (standard rush to death pattern), uninteresting guns, bad controls and one or two to many office-buildings to traverse, it is monotonous and repetitive.

What really grinds me is how the developers are using scripted-events a little to often.

On one scenario I am walking through a huge pile of dead people, and the restrict my movement for no good reason. It is like they are trying to say

"Look how horrible this is"

Well, I could find that out myself, thanks.

Spec ops: the line sure has its great moments, but it is never fun to play it.
    It has interesting ideas, and executes those well, but otherwise, it fails.
  4. Jul 28, 2013
    When you go into the menu screen of spec ops the line you think that you are going to experience a very typical MMS. Patriotic American music, near post apocolipticish, and shooting brown people. But, you soon find that this is not a typical MMS. It is much darker. The game has a very dark story line about rouge 33rd battalion of US soldiers killing civilians in Dubai after a sand storm.When you go into the menu screen of spec ops the line you think that you are going to experience a very typical MMS. Patriotic American music, near post apocolipticish, and shooting brown people. But, you soon find that this is not a typical MMS. It is much darker. The game has a very dark story line about rouge 33rd battalion of US soldiers killing civilians in Dubai after a sand storm. You are a group of three men trying to rescue the civilians but by doing so you need to kill you own men, and the game makes you feel bad for it. Also, in one mission, you have to use napalm on the 33rd's soldiers because you would die if you didn't. But it turns out they were trying to help civilians and in bombing them you bomb innocent civilians. The game then makes you go and look at their mangled up burn corpses. I won't go any further as I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Spec Ops: The Line is a game you experience rather than enjoy. If you enjoy this game you are most likely a psychopath and need to go and see a doctor.

Actual gameplay.

The gameplay in Spec ops: The Line is typical of any other shooter and lets the game down in many ways. Also the mouse acceleration is infuriating to the extent that I actually had to switch to an Xbox pad.
  5. Nov 25, 2014
    The story is excellent, however it is let down by the complete crap that is the game mechanics and enemies. The amount of times i was left banging my head against a wall because the run and cover system didn't work properly! Every single mission is the same, you kill wave after endless wave of enemies, before something interesting happens in a cut scene to progress the story. The story isThe story is excellent, however it is let down by the complete crap that is the game mechanics and enemies. The amount of times i was left banging my head against a wall because the run and cover system didn't work properly! Every single mission is the same, you kill wave after endless wave of enemies, before something interesting happens in a cut scene to progress the story. The story is so good too! It gets a 6/10 because of the story, if there was even a shred of better gameplay the score would be much higher. Expand
  6. Sep 18, 2014
    The goodness about Spec ops is that its got excellent graphics and visuals, the dialogue is good , there is a good variety of weapons although some are more rare to find and the story for this game is just one of a kind and doesn't need to be changed.
    The bad parts though are that the controls are just clunky and sometimes very frustrating when the game is set at to a higher difficulty and somehow restrict the feeling of freedom when battling enemies. What this game needs is probably Uncharted's mechanics to make it more free and fluid and because it really needs Uncharted's mechanic for throwing away live enemy grenades. One more disadvantage is explosive items such as gas tanks, most are badly placed around areas and are not properly highlighted thus you can't see them properly from a distance and its a shame because they could have been a huge advantage.
    My verdict is this game has an excellent story but controls need work.
  7. Jul 29, 2013
    A typical example of a "graphics don`t make a game". This is actually the 3rd game in the last 5 years I uninstalled before beating it. I got few hours into it before I could make final judgement. 3 hours into this and nothing new comes up anymore. Basicly it`s just a game of shootout cutscene shootout line. There is no variety with the shooting, the sceneries are blend and uncreative.A typical example of a "graphics don`t make a game". This is actually the 3rd game in the last 5 years I uninstalled before beating it. I got few hours into it before I could make final judgement. 3 hours into this and nothing new comes up anymore. Basicly it`s just a game of shootout cutscene shootout line. There is no variety with the shooting, the sceneries are blend and uncreative. The weapons are just fine, but there is too few of them to make a difference in game experience. Ammunition is VERY scarce, so the player often runs around with no ammo, even when he preserves it by scoring single shot headshots repeatedly. The player faces the same 3 vs hordes of AI shootouts which are just silly. The AI is stupid, the wingmen AI is even worse. There is a ton of cheap deaths caused by wingmen not covering you, out of ammo, being stuck in a map corner you thought was interactive. The controls are very simple yet often the player character does exactly the opposite you want him to. The two things in this game that stand out are the story and the graphics. Dialogues are nice, all 3 chars have their own personality. The city of Dubai looks epic, what goes on in its ashes is often brutal and sad. Make no mistake war is hell, as always. However, those good sides would make a good movie, but the game-side of this one is just poor and completely ruins the atmosphere. All in all a very frustrating experience for which good movie-like features of Spec Ops The Line simply do not compensate. 5 out of 10. Expand
  8. Jan 9, 2013
    A game who's sole claim to fame is it's story, As someone who already knows war hero fantasy and or the "realistic shooter" genre is ridiculous and anyone who takes it seriously is equally ridiculous I found the story unnecessarily preachy. It's methods for displaying visuals and sounds as metaphors for the "heroes" mental state was clever but not groundbreaking. The action elements wereA game who's sole claim to fame is it's story, As someone who already knows war hero fantasy and or the "realistic shooter" genre is ridiculous and anyone who takes it seriously is equally ridiculous I found the story unnecessarily preachy. It's methods for displaying visuals and sounds as metaphors for the "heroes" mental state was clever but not groundbreaking. The action elements were much worse, the AI is average at best and so the gun play gets repetitive. All in all this title should be played for it's story, and even then it's preachy and self righteous overtones are going to annoy some people. Expand
  9. Jul 7, 2012
    Sounds, storyline and graphics are okay. The only and the biggest problem is that this game is a CONSOLE PORT. The cover system is horrible, i dead a lot becouse i can't take cover.
  10. Aug 10, 2013
    Why people praise this game as a model of story telling and a critique of modern shooters is beyond me. The story is super linear and full of scripted events which present the illusion of player choice but are painfully transparent. And a critique this is not. Instead, Spec Ops The Line is full of every stereotype of modern shooters. You have a simple cover based mechanic, corridorWhy people praise this game as a model of story telling and a critique of modern shooters is beyond me. The story is super linear and full of scripted events which present the illusion of player choice but are painfully transparent. And a critique this is not. Instead, Spec Ops The Line is full of every stereotype of modern shooters. You have a simple cover based mechanic, corridor level design even when outdoors, and while I admit the story had some surprising twists and memorable moments, it's all super predictable. Despite the short length I found myself wishing for it all to end so I could go play something else.

You have your standard military assault rifles and SMGs and the occasional grenade launcher or whatever. You have emplaced turrets that no console shooter would be without. You have rail segments where memorizing the pattern of enemies is the only way to survive. This game is shooter cliche central and NOT the masterpiece other user reviews present it to be.

Of course, no one is playing multiplayer anymore. If I had a dollar for every game this gen that tacked on multiplayer instead of creating a memorable and replayable singleplayer experience, I'd have a lot of dollars. Avoid this game unless you have a compulsion to play every shooter on the market.
  11. Jan 11, 2013
    Bought the game for the story was pretty disappointed, I called the ending and story half way through and the game only lasts 4-6 hours. Gameplay mechanics are average, there's nothing really to comment on about them as they're really just average, you enter a room then you clear it. Gun variety sucks, and the only useful guns are Assault rifles. AI is stupid, often times your partnersBought the game for the story was pretty disappointed, I called the ending and story half way through and the game only lasts 4-6 hours. Gameplay mechanics are average, there's nothing really to comment on about them as they're really just average, you enter a room then you clear it. Gun variety sucks, and the only useful guns are Assault rifles. AI is stupid, often times your partners will just run in your line of fire or shoot people from out of cover and die. Level design is your typical TPS fare, you see cover you know there's an encounter soon. The game is overall underwhelming the story while different, isn't all that great and the game does nothing to set itself apart from it's peers other than story. Expand
  12. Jul 1, 2012
    This game has a great story based on the "Heart of Darkness." The graphics for the characters and weapons are pretty good but the environments are very bland without too much texture or shadow effects. It was clearly meant to run smoothly on the current generation of consoles. The game is a third person shooter and the cover mechanics work well. But, any shooter is about the guns andThis game has a great story based on the "Heart of Darkness." The graphics for the characters and weapons are pretty good but the environments are very bland without too much texture or shadow effects. It was clearly meant to run smoothly on the current generation of consoles. The game is a third person shooter and the cover mechanics work well. But, any shooter is about the guns and this is where the game really is dissappointing. The guns sound very tinny and not even close to real life weapons. You know how people make fun of shooter games by saying: "Pew pew" and so forth. These guns actually sound like that!! Ha ha. It draws away from any immersive feel you were supposed to get. It may be worth a play through for the story but as a rental only. Check out Ghost Recon Future Soldier if you like this type of game. Ubisoft knows how to make this type of game. Expand
  13. Jul 6, 2012
    There is only one way to describe this game: An average shooter. There is no innovation in game play. It is the same exact run and shoot anything that moves game. The campaign is forgettable and the characters bland. Multiplayer is mildly entertaining for a while but do not expect to be entertained for more than a couple of days. It is not the game so much as the genre that is at fault.There is only one way to describe this game: An average shooter. There is no innovation in game play. It is the same exact run and shoot anything that moves game. The campaign is forgettable and the characters bland. Multiplayer is mildly entertaining for a while but do not expect to be entertained for more than a couple of days. It is not the game so much as the genre that is at fault. All shooters are the same and this one, being no different, is not worth recommending. Expand
  14. Aug 22, 2013
    Mediocre or worse in every department, INCLUDING the story. A so-called 'PC game' that feels so totally like it was made for a Playstation 2. A straightjacket of incredibly narrow spaces and choices. A 'Man's game with all men character's, unending-until-you-puke mach- monologuing by all the characters. Terrible camera. Terrible level design. Terrible shooting mechanics. Terrible cover.Mediocre or worse in every department, INCLUDING the story. A so-called 'PC game' that feels so totally like it was made for a Playstation 2. A straightjacket of incredibly narrow spaces and choices. A 'Man's game with all men character's, unending-until-you-puke mach- monologuing by all the characters. Terrible camera. Terrible level design. Terrible shooting mechanics. Terrible cover. Terrible controls. Terrible 'moral choices'. The story is pumped full of overbearing male testosterone and its pretensions of moral depth are an exercise in vapid nihilism. Games like this are basically a waste of a time. Go for a walk in the park, read a book, see a concert, climb a mountain, drink with friends. Anything is better than this game. Compared to its genre competitiors, like 'Gears of War', 'Halo', 'Call of Duty', 'Battlefield' or Far Cry this game is complete garbage. An FPS game lives or dies according to its combat controls and these are easily the worst in that department in recent memory. 'Oh but you must play to the end, because the end redeems the horrible game' cry many reviewers. They lie. The journey is the destination. One would have to have a huge separation from the real world to find this story interesting. I'd rather play dating games with my gay squad members-Bioware style than endure another playthrough of this. To kill or not to kill? The answer won't be interesting if the question is not real. And its not real!

15. Dec 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After having read all those reviews I expected more from the story.
    It has something to it but the choices you get don't really have an impact. Often the game forces you to "accidentally" kill civilians and then plays the morality card on you. For example: -take out the army base with a mortar, last target is close to a civilian camp. Abort the mortar fire and go in on those remaining 2 soldiers? Nope, not allowed.
    -decide if a soldier or a civilian has to die! Go instead for the snipers that force you to make this decision? nope
    ....
    Besides the game is very repetitive. Enter a room, clear all enemy-waves, while being constantly low on ammo, proceed to the next room and do it again....

Overall it is not a bad game but it does not shine either
  16. Jul 22, 2013
    Don't believe the hype about the story. The gameplay is alright I guess but nothing amazing. I guess if you thought Bioshock was deep you might get into this too...
  17. Sep 7, 2013
    I played the PC version. Standard third person 100% shooter where you're led by the nose between set pieces. You've seen it a hundred times before: you can take dozens of hits, the world consists of rows of waist-high cover, your health regenerates in seconds, the enemy respawns endlessly, yada yada yada. The graphics are par for the course, controls are awful, the story ridiculous.

If

If you like this type of game... well, shame on you, you're the reason PC games suck so badly nowadays.
  18. Aug 10, 2012
    **** GAMEPLAY **** As far as gameplay, the cover-based shooting is below average. The aiming is imprecise and you often get stuck sticking to cover or flailing about out of cover. The squad commands are nice, but more often than not you have to sit behind cover waiting to heal due to stupid AI and faulty cover. It just isn
  19. Aug 28, 2013
    What can I say about this game. The gameplay was ok, though nothing we haven't seen in countless other shooters. What is super annoying however is the "America vs. the world" garbage found in so many games and movies nowadays. Right down to the guitar solo playing during the main menu I mean seriously, how cliché is that.

What a joke. Even for a free game, I'm still left feeling

What a joke. Even for a free game, I'm still left feeling somehow ripped off.
  20. Jul 13, 2014
    I played this game for a few hours and I have no motivation to continue. I have heard that the story is fantastic and really brings up the horrid nature of war and survival, but so far all it did was wimp out of a chance of really making the player feel uncomfortable about what there doing by having all the enemies be terrible evil people rather than just folks trying to survive. When youI played this game for a few hours and I have no motivation to continue. I have heard that the story is fantastic and really brings up the horrid nature of war and survival, but so far all it did was wimp out of a chance of really making the player feel uncomfortable about what there doing by having all the enemies be terrible evil people rather than just folks trying to survive. When you take that away all you have is the gameplay, and this is the most painfully generic third person shooter I have ever played, I mean it, It brings absolutely nothing to the table. I was disappointed. The good parts of it are that the visuals are really cool and there are some amazingly creative and awe striking levels that really show the power of nature and really try and convey the desperation of the dead city, voice acting and characters are enjoyable too. But the GAME part of the game is so painfully generic that Its no fun to play. I quit when the main character fell of a **** building for no reason and survived, I normally would not focus on this s much if the game was not trying to be realistic and gritty. Expand
  21. Sep 1, 2014
    First off the early story of the game is quite interesting, though they never explain what exactly happened with Dubai. Then it goes preachy. This isn't the subtle "war is bad" moral quandary one might expect with a few moral choices, every chance it gets, it beats over the head with the message. Even during loading screens where it asks "do you feel like a hero yet?" or "how manyFirst off the early story of the game is quite interesting, though they never explain what exactly happened with Dubai. Then it goes preachy. This isn't the subtle "war is bad" moral quandary one might expect with a few moral choices, every chance it gets, it beats over the head with the message. Even during loading screens where it asks "do you feel like a hero yet?" or "how many Americans have you killed today?" There are some upsides to the game, plenty of weapons to choose from to kill enemies with (hint: those would be Americans), a great soundtrack featuring some cool classic rock songs. One firefight that was cool was in a tower in Dubai (most of them are actually) and they had nowhere to run, nowhere to hide by Martha And The Vandellas, all while hunting down enemy forces. Now to the truly awful. The mechanics. It seems the designers were sick during that section of development and just phoned it in. I honestly want to know what genius decided to map the sprint, cover and action to the same button. The AI is basic, and that goes for both sides. The collision detection is a joke, I managed to get shot through cover almost constantly. The game had potential, I've played bad games simply for the story. If a story drags me in then I can suffer through mechanics that were designed by a team of four year olds. What I can't suffer is when I pay for a game and the dev team gets preachy and bashes me over the head with the same message for every level for 8+ levels. Eventually I stopped playing because of that simple fact. I would recommend avoiding the game and finding a game worth your money. I cannot fathom who the target market is for this game, unless there's a demographic that likes being told that they're evil and disturbed individuals every time they load the game. Honestly, avoid this one folks, even if you see it in the bargain bin. It's just not worth it. Expand
  22. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is a console based game and although keys are functioning the entire game is made for game-pad.
    This game has a refreshing storyline and environment, what went wrong?
    - 1 : because third person view (f.ex the game Hitman let you switch between first to third-person which is a missed opportunity in this game) - 2 : bad aiming, this is just terrible and let not even talk about
    This game has a refreshing storyline and environment, what went wrong?

- 2 : bad aiming, this is just terrible and let not even talk about the sniper rifle
    - 2 : save points, I am an adult, I decide where I want to save, some pieces of fights take up to 8 min, you die you can start all over again and let's not even talk about the 'skip movie', enter is not working so when you die you can watch over and over the 2 min movie before you can start playing instead of doing savepoints after the movie.
    -1 : cover/vault seems to have a mind of it's own, sometimes you are stuck to a wall in cover mode which you can not get out of.
    - 1 : Squad has a mind of it's own, move forward and decides to get shot, you have limited time to heal them or they just stand do nothing while you fight and die.
  23. Aug 31, 2012
    The main selling point of this game seems to be the story, especially how mature it is. Well...its not. But first a few words about the gameplay: The mechanics are extremely generic and weak, the shooting feels flimsy and gets tedious extremely fast. The weapon sounds support the weak feel of the guns and there is nothing fun or exciting about it. But most critics will tell you the storyThe main selling point of this game seems to be the story, especially how mature it is. Well...its not. But first a few words about the gameplay: The mechanics are extremely generic and weak, the shooting feels flimsy and gets tedious extremely fast. The weapon sounds support the weak feel of the guns and there is nothing fun or exciting about it. But most critics will tell you the story saves the horrible gameplay, but honestly, its just crap. It might be mature, but that doesn't make it any good, for the first 14 chapters the story just drags on and on without resolve anything or keeping you engaged, and the last mission is supposed to resolve anything, which makes the first 3 hours and 50 minutes even more pointless. It blatantly rips off Heart of Darkness and any generic psycho-thriller movie. Its just a generic boring shooter with chest-high walls that hides its crappy gameplay mechanics under a story that most critics find "mature" and "interesting". Expand
  24. Nov 14, 2014
    El juego es aburrido, injugable, en varias ocasiones quise desinstalarlo, pero normalmente si empiezo un juego lo termino. Algunos dicen que solo por el final merece la pena las 8-10 horas de tortura, que hagan una película si quieren, pero como juego es basura.

Si le doy un 3 es porque en el apartado gráfico tiene buenas texturas y la arena está muy conseguida (que menos en un juego de arena), además hay algo de interactividad con el terreno, pero cuando el juego quiere, no cuando tu lo decidas.

Por el lado contrario está la IA, insufrible, tus aliados se ponen en tu línea de tiro o te sacan de cobertura, y de vez en cuando se les ocurre ponerse en medio de campo abierto a que los fusilen.
    Los comandos de pelotón que tan bonitos quedan son simplemente un adorno, que no funciona, o que para funcionar hace que te maten a ti o a tus compañeros. Los silenciadores son un elemento estético del arma, ya que solo cuando el juego quiere (2 o 3 enemigos en todo el juego) te deja seguir un camino más sigiloso, que rápidamente se acaba.

En definitiva, el juego es un mata-mata lineal de recreativa al más puro estilo Time Crysis.
  25. Aug 2, 2013
    Congratulations. This is one of the worst console ports that ever have been made. The gameplay is terrible. Sprint, cover and action use the same button
  26. Jan 30, 2013
    I played the first few levels of this, up to a point where a civilian dressed in a burqa ran into my line of fire and I accidentally shot her. The game had been heavy-handedly building up the civilian tragedy aspect and the justifications for this sort of thing happening - but it seemed completely out of character for the morally ambiguous protagonist to yak on and on in the cut scenesI played the first few levels of this, up to a point where a civilian dressed in a burqa ran into my line of fire and I accidentally shot her. The game had been heavy-handedly building up the civilian tragedy aspect and the justifications for this sort of thing happening - but it seemed completely out of character for the morally ambiguous protagonist to yak on and on in the cut scenes about stuff like how "it's okay not to follow orders if we can save an American life" and then not have anything at all to say for himself after mowing down an innocent woman with a machine gun. And I was left thinking "oh well, I guess that probably happens all the time in Iraq" - and decided I had probably felt guiltier the first time I ran over a pedestrian in Grand Theft Auto.

The gameplay mechanics are atrocious - there are no consequences for getting shot so long as you can hide behind a conveniently placed rock for a few seconds until the bloodstains clear from the side of the screen. Red Steel on the Wii (!!!) had a similar depth of realism and tactics. It's completely linear - the guns all feel and sound the same - which is a complete mistake in the case of the AK47 and M14.

A rail-shooter is pretty much the last sort of game that should take on moral questions.
  27. Feb 4, 2013
    Positives: Storyline and some of the choices are very good, not excellent. No other positives.

Negatives: Controls are terrible!!! I've never seen so many buttons to do stupid things. Also, some buttons don't respond when you press them. Programming is shotty as getting the first shot on an enemy does nothing some of the time; absolutely horrible. Achievements or buildups to achievements are just given at random.

I am very disappointed with this game. I want my money and my time back.
  28. Nov 18, 2013
    While it's mediocre third person action fest albeit with some gorgeous set pieces with a soundtrack of Alice in Chains. Björk The Black Angels, Black Mountain, Deep Purple, Inner Circle's, Jimi Hendrix, Martha and the Vandellas Mogwai, Nine Inch Nails and Giuseppe Verdi helps a lot to compensate
  29. Jan 26, 2013
    The game mechanics in this game is severely flawed! I don't care how good the story is, the moment to moment gameplay is a torture. Who the f though binding the sprint, cover, and action button to the same key is a good idea?! I died countless times snapping into cover when trying to run away (and you get shot in cover too!). This game is a broken pos hiding behind it's story. AVOID!
  30. Oct 16, 2012
    Horrible, from beginning to the end. Awful controls, abysmal story (whoever things this is a good storyline should go check a doctor, because this is hardly D movie material), mess from beginning to the end, worthless and pathetic characters (I believe main hero is a terminator), ridiculous on every moment (many situations were written by 6 years old) and it looks like **** as well. Oh andHorrible, from beginning to the end. Awful controls, abysmal story (whoever things this is a good storyline should go check a doctor, because this is hardly D movie material), mess from beginning to the end, worthless and pathetic characters (I believe main hero is a terminator), ridiculous on every moment (many situations were written by 6 years old) and it looks like **** as well. Oh and it's a very limited corridor shooter. There is nothing redeemable on this one - not even worth 10 dollars. Expand
  31. Jul 9, 2012
    could have been a great game but the lack of strategy , story ideas , and my ability to play it in 7 hours. leaves me wishing i had waited for it to drop in cost.
  32. Jul 23, 2013
    Well made shooter, but the story is not entertaining, it's disgusting in the most negative sense of the word. I stopped playing it and uninstalled it after a certain horrible scene. This is not how I want to spend my free time, however realistic it might be, if I wanted this I could turn on the news.

If you want to be forced to feel like crap for playing a FPS, get this. Otherwise get something else.
  33. Aug 12, 2012
    I've played the demo from steam and, rage quit because how bad the controls and console port it felt. Well after waiting after release to see if things would get better and people raved about how great story the game was decided to buy the game at lower price on Amazon. Well my first impressions of demo still stands bad controls and bad port to pc, and the MP is one of the worst i'veI've played the demo from steam and, rage quit because how bad the controls and console port it felt. Well after waiting after release to see if things would get better and people raved about how great story the game was decided to buy the game at lower price on Amazon. Well my first impressions of demo still stands bad controls and bad port to pc, and the MP is one of the worst i've ever played heavy lag disconnects and finding a game good luck. I have a high speed cable connection 50mb a sec. I hate to be the one to be so harsh but that's how i feel. I usually try and be fair to alot of games but this game just is overhyped. Dont waist your money there are better games out there. Expand
  34. Jan 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No, Just no. If you play a game for a thrilling story line and an engaging back story like I do then **** THIS GAME. I cannot believe the rubbish of a story this game has and then you got all these people painting it like it's a top notch novel that just blows you away at the end. The ENTIRE STORY just seems like a bunch of gun hating, soldier bashing, liberals, got into a room and just start throwing **** at a wall until they came up with a game that would only interest you because of the hype they drummed up. This game totally paints all soldiers/people who like guns as retards and in the end kill everyone because it's sooo awesome. I mean FFS, I didn't try it, but at the end of the game you have the choice to shoot yourself or if you don't then you have the option to KILL MORE ****ING SOLDIERS as they come to RESCUE you! WTF?! I think it's just one big social experiment to see who the **** would want to do it. There is no DLC and there never will be because there's no way they can continue this crap story.

One other thing. Again at the end. (and I think they mention it near the middle as well) They keep telling you all you had to do was stop. All you had to do was just stop pushing forward. WTF?! Why would I pay 60 bux for a game just to stop playing it? I feel really bad for those that paid FP for this game cause they got ripped the **** off. In fact I think most of those people that did buy it at FP probably got on here and reviewed it as awesome just so dumb ****s like us would be like, **** it can't be all that bad. Look how many good review it got!" No they just wanted us to drink the GD kool-aid too cause they didn't want to be the only ones...

If the game was just me running around shooting /randoms with no story I'd give it a 5. It's not a HORRIBLE shooter, but JFC, I cannot for the life of get over the fact that the story was so utterly terrible. Charles Barkley tuurrribel even...
  35. Jul 18, 2012
    All cutscenes and no play. Just as it starts to get fun and you get into it, you guessed it, another cutscene comes up that you're not allowed to skip. Not worth even 10 dollars. I got about a dime's worth of play out of it. Wish you could sell PC games like you can console games.

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Spec Ops: The Line tries new and interesting ground on storytelling, but falls short on the action department. Still, it's worth playing through for the atmosphere and few different endings alone. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Were it not for some technical issues and console-related shortcomings (gamepad controls and no anti-aliasing), Spec Ops: The Line would be one of the best games for 2012. But, things being as they are, it remains merely a diamond in the rough, destined for wicked crazy status within the following years. Definitely superior to the related series of Kane & Lynch, it proves that, with a steady vision and soul, a genre so clichéd like military shooters, can not only surprise us pleasantly, but totally overwhelm us. [August 2012]
    Expectations were greater than game could have achieved. Yet the new Spec Ops game is a good excuse to stay home and play. [Issue#220]