Spelunky PC

7.1

1. May 14, 2014
    This game finds its identity in being brutally hard. There isn't really much else to it. If you don't want to do the same simple tasks over and over until you can consistently make it through levels without mistakes, this game has nothing to offer you. Most of the individual components are not difficult. The game is only difficult because you can save so rarely. I'll play a game withThis game finds its identity in being brutally hard. There isn't really much else to it. If you don't want to do the same simple tasks over and over until you can consistently make it through levels without mistakes, this game has nothing to offer you. Most of the individual components are not difficult. The game is only difficult because you can save so rarely. I'll play a game with difficulty levels, where I can choose whether I want brutal challenge or simple enjoyment, thank you. Expand
  2. Jan 8, 2014
    A well crafted roguelike with a wide range of items and abilities, but ultimately an exercise in random number generation. Like so many games in this genre, "Spelunky" does not reward planning or careful use of resources so much as lucky rolls of the dice. Entertaining, to be sure, but not nearly as profound or mesmerizing as many reviews here would have you believe. That this game rates aA well crafted roguelike with a wide range of items and abilities, but ultimately an exercise in random number generation. Like so many games in this genre, "Spelunky" does not reward planning or careful use of resources so much as lucky rolls of the dice. Entertaining, to be sure, but not nearly as profound or mesmerizing as many reviews here would have you believe. That this game rates a 90 is iron-clad proof that Metacritic is populated more by marketing agencies than by actual gamers. Expand
  3. Oct 30, 2013
    I've been a big fan of rouge-like games. The first one I ever played was Amulet of Yendor on a 5 1/4" floppy drive. There are two things, for me, that makes a game of this type enjoyable: One is the constant threat of danger and death awaiting every corner. Spelunky excels over and above in that aspect. After I had died 4 times in 8 minutes and had not been able to complete level 1-1 II've been a big fan of rouge-like games. The first one I ever played was Amulet of Yendor on a 5 1/4" floppy drive. There are two things, for me, that makes a game of this type enjoyable: One is the constant threat of danger and death awaiting every corner. Spelunky excels over and above in that aspect. After I had died 4 times in 8 minutes and had not been able to complete level 1-1 I understood just how complex and unforgiving this game is. I wouldn't say steep learning curve, as such things as starting on an island with 3 arrow traps and spikes on both sides for level 1-1 is not really a learning experience so much as a bad luck of the draw. You live fast, you die fast, and if you stop and take time to explore a ghost appears and one hits you.

It's for this reason that I gave Spelunky a low score, not that I died, or not that it's too hard to play. Spelunky is a reduction of a rouge-like. It's missing the 2nd thing that all rouge-likes should have: Character development. There's no off the wall classes with different abilities and weaknesses. There's no real inventory management, or stats, or ways to shape your character. It's just run through, don't stop, don't worry about the avatar, just go till you die.

I like the game play, the graphics aren't bad, the music is meh. For me though, a rouge-like game is about developing a character and living out a story. I still remember getting to the higher floors of Amulet of Yendor and opening a chest that blinded me. Or in NetHack when I had the warrior who I thought was unstoppable until I couldn't find any food and ended up eating an old corpse that poisoned me to death. The story that plays out is what keeps me invested. Since it's missing half of what makes these types of games fun for me I rated it accordingly.
  4. Dec 1, 2013
    gave it a whirl and well.......glad it was on sale for a few bucks. Overall from my experience I ascertain this as a repetitive 2d side scroller in the tradition of Mario, dk, castlevania, etc. without the unique variations that those titles retained. I was expecting large underground caverns and caves to explore; instead got a cramped lil area to digdug, kill a few badies, collect thegave it a whirl and well.......glad it was on sale for a few bucks. Overall from my experience I ascertain this as a repetitive 2d side scroller in the tradition of Mario, dk, castlevania, etc. without the unique variations that those titles retained. I was expecting large underground caverns and caves to explore; instead got a cramped lil area to digdug, kill a few badies, collect the same gems, and save a lost girl.

Hardly unique and inspiring for players to enjoy. One other thing...the music is atrocious, so blatant retro and painful to listen to, with all the music opts available why this? UGH!!

There is also blood so parents be warned!

I gave it a seven for the sound effects, general controls and the graphics; which were decent.
  5. Aug 28, 2013
    Well, all I can really say is that its a good game, but I find that there is no replay value. Plus, older retro style games tend to hurt my face. Yeah, thats' a thing now. Meh. It was good while it lasted, but was more of a pass time.
  6. Jan 19, 2014
    trying to be;
    A game of perfecting your ability as gamer.
    In fact: **** UI block a quarter of screen and the developer did nothing, even people said it to their face. -Some chance that the map will be 'unadvanceable' without 3-4 bombs, such as spider-map. and ruin your run -Shopkeeper who will kill you because a monster detonated TNT near his shop. (it's code that all damage or bomb
    trying to be;
    A game of perfecting your ability as gamer.

In fact:
    -Shopkeeper who will kill you because a monster detonated TNT near his shop. (it's code that all damage or bomb happen to his area are 'player doing' even it's the game coding problem).

Still a enjoyable game if you lucky not get these 'bug'.
  7. Dec 26, 2014
    Spelunky combines random instant death with start-from-the-beginning repetitiveness, which can be fun in small amounts but is ultimately tiresome. The word "roguelike" in game reviews seems to be a new way to say Unbalanced or Nintendo-Hard.
  8. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. So You want to be a hero...Well,you have to prove it by beating this game...Mind you,many have tried...You can see by all those negative ratings of this game...Those are people who have tried but got their ass kicked so they found an excuse or a way to get revenge by giving it a low rating...
    Are you ready to beat one of the hardest,diabolical game ever created?...This game is not made to boost your ego but to teach you a lesson..It will humiliate you one time after another until you will cry like a baby...
    Are you up for the challenge?It will consume your life...It will haunt your dreams...It would made you feel unworthy,pitiful human being...Are you ready to feel helpless?
    This game was made only for the elite of gamers...Those who will shout "come on,bring it on"...And it will...Up until you would fall on your knees begging for forgiveness...But it will just scorn at you and keep smacking your butt so hard you will curse the day you started playing it...
    Are you looking for fun?Don't make this game laugh...It want only one thing...To spill your guts,to hurt you,to make you suffer...
    You get only 150 seconds to survive each level...If you begin to dilly-dally, before you know it ,a ghost will come to haunt you...A ghost you can't harm in any way except getting a snapshot of it by your camera and it will only pause for a moment to pose for you, only to give you one more second to run for your life to the exit...But the exit is the most guarded place of the level...
    Each second of your gaming must be calculated...If you are smart you will pause the game many times to think carefully what to do next and not only that..You should keep a calculator handy next to you just in case you need to remind yourself how many precious seconds you have left before it will come after you...
    This game is intense and brutal...Prepare for bloodshed...Blood is so important here that if you sacrifice enough corpses to the Goddess she will give you a vessel to fill with drops of blood during battles which will give you in turn more lives...How sick is that?
    This game incorporate stealth with lightning fast battles...And if you hadn't consider all the factors before you engaged into a battle you would not stand a chance...It would be all over before you know it only to make you reflect what went wrong...How come your ass has been kicked again... What the hell is wrong with you...How could you repeat the sames mistakes so many times...
    The thing is each game is different offering you a different setting in such a way you won't be able to anticipate what is in store for you...You can't rely on your memories to help you...You prepare yourself for one scene only to get a completely different scene...So you must rely on your instincts and they must be acute to make you react so fast to deal against all kinds of ****
    Your imagination is your best tool to cope against all the enemies and traps waiting to make you bleed...When you are going to see your first enemy,it is going to be a snake coming to you peacefully and gracefully allowing you whip its ass to feel comfy about your timing...But later on it will teach you a lesson about striking at the right timing...It will jump out of pots at the most inconvenient times to bite you in the ass...And it is only the weakest enemy...
    Are you still reading?What's wrong with you?Don't blame me,I warned you not to play this game... Once you started you are doomed unless you are made of heroes stuff...Real heroes stuff...Then you are in for a hell of a time...Hero time...

1. Oct 23, 2014
    Excellent randomly generated level design and very high difficulty. There is no doubt that Spelunky is one of the greatest 2D roguelike platforms ever created.
  2. Sep 30, 2013
    Spelunky is a great fun, but when it goes down, the fun is gone and your eye goes neurotic. Still, it ranks among the best recent platformers.
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    A few years ago, Spelunky was a unique phenomenon. Now, when its ideas have been adopted and improved upon by Super House of the Dead Ninjas, Binding of Isaac, and Rogue Legacy, this remake is simply first among equals.