Spelunky PC

7.1

1. May 14, 2014
    This game finds its identity in being brutally hard. There isn't really much else to it. If you don't want to do the same simple tasks over and over until you can consistently make it through levels without mistakes, this game has nothing to offer you. Most of the individual components are not difficult. The game is only difficult because you can save so rarely. I'll play a game withThis game finds its identity in being brutally hard. There isn't really much else to it. If you don't want to do the same simple tasks over and over until you can consistently make it through levels without mistakes, this game has nothing to offer you. Most of the individual components are not difficult. The game is only difficult because you can save so rarely. I'll play a game with difficulty levels, where I can choose whether I want brutal challenge or simple enjoyment, thank you. Expand
  2. Jan 8, 2014
    A well crafted roguelike with a wide range of items and abilities, but ultimately an exercise in random number generation. Like so many games in this genre, "Spelunky" does not reward planning or careful use of resources so much as lucky rolls of the dice. Entertaining, to be sure, but not nearly as profound or mesmerizing as many reviews here would have you believe. That this game rates aA well crafted roguelike with a wide range of items and abilities, but ultimately an exercise in random number generation. Like so many games in this genre, "Spelunky" does not reward planning or careful use of resources so much as lucky rolls of the dice. Entertaining, to be sure, but not nearly as profound or mesmerizing as many reviews here would have you believe. That this game rates a 90 is iron-clad proof that Metacritic is populated more by marketing agencies than by actual gamers. Expand
  3. Oct 30, 2013
    I've been a big fan of rouge-like games. The first one I ever played was Amulet of Yendor on a 5 1/4" floppy drive. There are two things, for me, that makes a game of this type enjoyable: One is the constant threat of danger and death awaiting every corner. Spelunky excels over and above in that aspect. After I had died 4 times in 8 minutes and had not been able to complete level 1-1 II've been a big fan of rouge-like games. The first one I ever played was Amulet of Yendor on a 5 1/4" floppy drive. There are two things, for me, that makes a game of this type enjoyable: One is the constant threat of danger and death awaiting every corner. Spelunky excels over and above in that aspect. After I had died 4 times in 8 minutes and had not been able to complete level 1-1 I understood just how complex and unforgiving this game is. I wouldn't say steep learning curve, as such things as starting on an island with 3 arrow traps and spikes on both sides for level 1-1 is not really a learning experience so much as a bad luck of the draw. You live fast, you die fast, and if you stop and take time to explore a ghost appears and one hits you.

It's for this reason that I gave Spelunky a low score, not that I died, or not that it's too hard to play. Spelunky is a reduction of a rouge-like. It's missing the 2nd thing that all rouge-likes should have: Character development. There's no off the wall classes with different abilities and weaknesses. There's no real inventory management, or stats, or ways to shape your character. It's just run through, don't stop, don't worry about the avatar, just go till you die.

I like the game play, the graphics aren't bad, the music is meh. For me though, a rouge-like game is about developing a character and living out a story. I still remember getting to the higher floors of Amulet of Yendor and opening a chest that blinded me. Or in NetHack when I had the warrior who I thought was unstoppable until I couldn't find any food and ended up eating an old corpse that poisoned me to death. The story that plays out is what keeps me invested. Since it's missing half of what makes these types of games fun for me I rated it accordingly.
  4. Dec 1, 2013
    gave it a whirl and well.......glad it was on sale for a few bucks. Overall from my experience I ascertain this as a repetitive 2d side scroller in the tradition of Mario, dk, castlevania, etc. without the unique variations that those titles retained. I was expecting large underground caverns and caves to explore; instead got a cramped lil area to digdug, kill a few badies, collect thegave it a whirl and well.......glad it was on sale for a few bucks. Overall from my experience I ascertain this as a repetitive 2d side scroller in the tradition of Mario, dk, castlevania, etc. without the unique variations that those titles retained. I was expecting large underground caverns and caves to explore; instead got a cramped lil area to digdug, kill a few badies, collect the same gems, and save a lost girl.

Hardly unique and inspiring for players to enjoy. One other thing...the music is atrocious, so blatant retro and painful to listen to, with all the music opts available why this? UGH!!

There is also blood so parents be warned!

I gave it a seven for the sound effects, general controls and the graphics; which were decent.
  5. Aug 28, 2013
    Well, all I can really say is that its a good game, but I find that there is no replay value. Plus, older retro style games tend to hurt my face. Yeah, thats' a thing now. Meh. It was good while it lasted, but was more of a pass time.
  6. Jan 19, 2014
    trying to be;
    A game of perfecting your ability as gamer.
    In fact: **** UI block a quarter of screen and the developer did nothing, even people said it to their face. -Some chance that the map will be 'unadvanceable' without 3-4 bombs, such as spider-map. and ruin your run -Shopkeeper who will kill you because a monster detonated TNT near his shop. (it's code that all damage or bomb
    trying to be;
    A game of perfecting your ability as gamer.

In fact:
    -Shopkeeper who will kill you because a monster detonated TNT near his shop. (it's code that all damage or bomb happen to his area are 'player doing' even it's the game coding problem).

Still a enjoyable game if you lucky not get these 'bug'.
  7. Dec 26, 2014
    Spelunky combines random instant death with start-from-the-beginning repetitiveness, which can be fun in small amounts but is ultimately tiresome. The word "roguelike" in game reviews seems to be a new way to say Unbalanced or Nintendo-Hard.
  8. Oct 30, 2013
    A great roguelike-like with a competitive daily scoreboard system. A huge amount of replayability can be found in this title for fans of skill based, real-time roguelike-likes.

The game has a steep learning curve but it offers a checkpoint system for the more casual player, making it easily possible to train your techniques for certain areas of the game. Scores on the worldwide leader-board are only saved, if one started the game from stage 1.

The state of art is consistent throughout the game, nothing jumps the eye in displeasure while going though the numerous areas and their different themes. Character assets and animations are detailed and sometimes really cute. The music is a mix of remixed retro songs from the original game and original works. Multiple varying songs for each stage present in the game fit the themes but are exceptional enough to be recognized even hours after gaming. One gets literally blasted away by the soundtrack entering a new stage.

The default keyboard controls are a bit clunky. It is advised to change them or get a gamepad to maximize the enjoyment out of the title. The controls itself feel natural for a platformer, granting a solid mix between momentum and full character control.

1. Oct 23, 2014
    Excellent randomly generated level design and very high difficulty. There is no doubt that Spelunky is one of the greatest 2D roguelike platforms ever created.
  2. Sep 30, 2013
    Spelunky is a great fun, but when it goes down, the fun is gone and your eye goes neurotic. Still, it ranks among the best recent platformers.
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    A few years ago, Spelunky was a unique phenomenon. Now, when its ideas have been adopted and improved upon by Super House of the Dead Ninjas, Binding of Isaac, and Rogue Legacy, this remake is simply first among equals.