8.1

1. CameronB.
    Oct 28, 2008
    I've been following Spore for several years now, waiting with baited breath as Will Wright showed off his masterpiece at different conventions. What he was attempting was truly amazing; user-generated content, procedurally textured and animated. I devoured every preview as they came out, barely able to wait for what would naturally be one of the greatest games ever. So when I finally I've been following Spore for several years now, waiting with baited breath as Will Wright showed off his masterpiece at different conventions. What he was attempting was truly amazing; user-generated content, procedurally textured and animated. I devoured every preview as they came out, barely able to wait for what would naturally be one of the greatest games ever. So when I finally got to play Spore, I was almost entirely let down. Somewhere along the line, everything that had made the game unique and exciting had been replaced with content that we haven't just seen before, we've seen it done a whole lot better. No creature animations based on where body parts are placed - every animation is the same. No living, breathing ecosystem - animals stand around their nests, doing absolutely nothing. No interesting creatures to be made in the cell stage - we're limited to making blobs. No real planet terraforming in the space stage - you just dump a few different plant and animal types down and they magically spread all over the planet. The creature, building and vehicle editors are, however, fun to tinker around in. Essentially, Spore is a mere shadow of what was promised. What we got was a series of minigames, none of them terribly interesting or entertaining. There are expansion packs planned. These could perhaps change Spore into what it was supposed to be, but I for one won't be buying them. I was promised a Ferrari, I got a toddler's tricycle. Such a disappointment. Expand

1. Concocting cool critters is incredibly addictive, and the ability to save any and all of your beasts for future use in the game is pretty awesome.
  2. While it acts like a pre-order incentive, in actual fact, playing the Creature Creator, it absolutely justifies itself. Even if you never plan to play Spore, it's absolutely essential you play this.
  3. Spore: Creature Creator tells me a few things: creating new species is great fun, creation tools can be simple yet deep, people will always make the rudest things possible, and Spore is going to be a massively popular PC release.