8.5

1. Feb 2, 2012
    I loved the original game.
    I loved the original game.
    The story was fantastic. The sound was great. The visuals were good for the time. Galactic Conquest was the only multiplayer I played but I highly enjoyed it and played it to death with a friend, fighting for control of the galaxy in intense large scale land and space battles, along with small fights using tactics with heroes and a few units to raid and fight over things. The game was extremely underrated.

I bought FOC on release with high expectation, I was young and bad at RTS's but I enjoyed the story once again thoroughly. The problem I had, came with the multiplayer. The Consortium are extremely overpowered, the rebels are really underpowered and the empire are REALLY good at killing the rebels. The rebels received few weak improvements, the empire revived massive upgrades and the Consortium did what the other factions do, but better. I could go into every little detail about how incredibly poor the balance was in this game but this would take far too long and go into every detail about the game, from fighters to meta game, from corruption to hero units and so on. I'm a big fan of star wars games, especially their older ones, but I really think this game let them down, especially after the original was so damn fun to play. I felt the multiplayer was unplayable, I was not alone as the population of players online was dwindling after just a month.

I checked back into these games recently for a bit of nostalgic fun with my friend whom I met on Empire at War over 6 years ago, I still enjoy the original and still laugh at how incredibly poor the balance was, I seriously do not understand how a game could be released that broken, and yet receive no support after such a long time. I believe it really killed the series which is a massive shame, and I'd have loved to have seen a squeal, and still to this day would buy it on release. But much like other much loved Star Wars games such as: Battlefront, Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, and so on...there was no sequel, leaving fans disappointed and not understanding why when Lucas Arts would make lots of money from it. This game to me was a bit of a black mark on my gaming history, but yet at the same time, something I'll never forget, the timing of the release and the enjoyment I got from the story, and just my general love of star wars was incredible. I don't recommend buying this game, I wouldn't then and I wouldn't 6 years on, but I would say, if Lucas Arts ever read this - Make a sequel.

1. What it does best isn't the way it adds a creative, original third side to the classic two, nor the decent added campaign or the extra units all round. No, Forces of Corruption's best feature is exploding Ewoks.
  2. Petroglyph have done a nice little job on expanding what was already a good game. Granted it isn’t the same as all the other RTS games out there, but isn’t that what you want – a little diversity? If the first game left you wanting more, which it certainly did for me, Forces of Corruption will most certainly fill a void in your Star Wars craving.
  3. The new faction adds a great new way to play, and every mode of gameplay, including multiplayer, has been reborn with nearly everything a gamer could ask for.