9.0

1. Dec 10, 2014
    There aren't many games that are actually deserving of a perfect "10/10" rating in my book - but this is one of them. It is a flawless Star Wars based RPG that oozes brilliance at every turn.

The game is based on the original NWN in terms of engine and the "way things work". It does a masterful job of everything - the graphics, sound, music, voice acting, story, game mechanics are all absolutely perfect. You could literally not want more from a game.

Jimbo Rating: 10/10
  2. Dec 1, 2014
    Fun ass game, intriguing story nice graphics for its time (come on guys it's a 2003 game.) and interesting planets and people. What the **** is there for me not to like?
  3. Nov 26, 2014
    Well, what can I tell you about this game?
    I can tell for sure it is my favorite!
    I can tell that I have played thought the story for something like 10 times since 2004.
    I can tell that you need to arm yourself with all the best modifications(textures, resolution, cut content) and start this FANTASTIC journey right now!
  4. Nov 7, 2014
    This is and has always been my favorite game ever,When i was just a kid about 7 i was given this game for my birthday
    and ever since then I've played it over and over,This is the game that got me into video games This is the game that got me to love star wars,I love everything about this game,some people might find it not as amazing as me but i do recommend that you buy and play this Amazing,Breathtaking,Beautiful Experience of a Game.
  5. Oct 14, 2014
    Best Star Wars game, that made finally a honor to the Lucas trilogy and to RPG genre together. The story greatly describe a situation when sith and jedi made the history of Republic and themselves. Bringing the best of pc gods Bioware, story, characters acting and completely done traditional rpg motto: choose your way. and this time also, choose your path, the force will be with you.
  6. Sep 11, 2014
    In my opinion, this is the perfect RPG. Incredible story, great mechanics with combat, customization, and story (as it is a Bioware game). It was the best game on the original Xbox, and is compatible with the 360 too. And with it on PC, as well as copies now going for dirt cheap, there is no reason why you shouldn't pick this up if you're a Star Wars fan and/or RPG fan. Incredible game,In my opinion, this is the perfect RPG. Incredible story, great mechanics with combat, customization, and story (as it is a Bioware game). It was the best game on the original Xbox, and is compatible with the 360 too. And with it on PC, as well as copies now going for dirt cheap, there is no reason why you shouldn't pick this up if you're a Star Wars fan and/or RPG fan. Incredible game, deserves highest praise. 10/10 Expand
  7. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i absolutely love this game,this is the perfect RPG
    the story makes you feel like you're part of it,
    the work that Old Bioware did here was a masterpiece,the characters are done brilliant,the Revan Plot twist was one of my biggest 'Wow' moments in my gamer life,the story is done very well
    the gameplay is good for a RPG,the romance with Bastila was good and funny at the same time
    my favourite character was HK-47 with his dark humor
    suggestion:go buy it now with Kotor 2,this is what modern RPGs should take inspiration from.
  8. Aug 2, 2014
    This was the first game which I ever truly fell in love with, by which I mean I could not suppress the urge to replay it year after year. This review will be short, as it has no need to be otherwise.

The game is an RPG, which is a genre it wears supremely. It offers the MOST immersive experience I perhaps have ever seen from a video game; it's story is intriguing, clever, funny, full of twists, choice driven and downright captivating.
    The graphics are very nice for the time in which the game was made, and have aged very well.
    The soundtrack is absolutely exquisite, rivaling the original Star Wars music.
    Voice acting is without equal, and combat is based on the Dungeons and Dungeons familiar setup which is extremely tactical and yet also fun.

To conclude, the game in my opinion is damn near flawless, I would recommend it to anyone, and if that said person does not enjoy it, I will clearly have little in common with them!
  9. Jun 30, 2014
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic gives you an incredible level of control over your character. You feel a true connection to them as their path is chosen by you, the player. Their story is yours to craft however you want. The graphics for this game, especially in the cut scenes, are phenomenal for it's time and some still stand up today. The story driven elements are perfectly suitedStar Wars: Knights of the Old Republic gives you an incredible level of control over your character. You feel a true connection to them as their path is chosen by you, the player. Their story is yours to craft however you want. The graphics for this game, especially in the cut scenes, are phenomenal for it's time and some still stand up today. The story driven elements are perfectly suited to it's light side dark side karma-like mechanic. The combat system is very innovative allowing for strategy rather than charging opponents head on - very unique design. Gameplay is slick and easy, and there aren't enough words for how I would love to compliment this game. A very trademark game of Bioware. The best Star Wars video game ever and my all time favorite game. Expand
  10. Jun 13, 2014
    I solved widescreen and UI stretch problem in both of the KOTOR games with some online solution. Now I can relive the wonderful game in full HD and widescreen.
  11. Jun 6, 2014
    That's my first game. I love Kotor, it's so amazing. And that's all, what can I say. Peoples, jast buy that things, and we forgive anything, what you see before.
  12. May 21, 2014
    Stars Wars Knights of the Old Republic has so much lore that it could stand by itself in a entirely separate star wars universe, I would rank Kotor in similarity with the likes of Deus Ex, what they both have in common is that you can play the game at least 50 times and still have a different outcome, what i mean is your decisions and actions through the games various dialogue optionsStars Wars Knights of the Old Republic has so much lore that it could stand by itself in a entirely separate star wars universe, I would rank Kotor in similarity with the likes of Deus Ex, what they both have in common is that you can play the game at least 50 times and still have a different outcome, what i mean is your decisions and actions through the games various dialogue options count and effect the games overall outcome. In my opinion Kotor is the few RPG's that defined the genre. I would recommend this to any RPG/Star Wars fan or gamer alike. Expand
  13. May 8, 2014
    If you're a Star Wars fanatic I will recommend playing this game! It is by far one of the best games I played on the Xbox/PC. The story is so good you WILL want to carry on playing. You have the choice to pick out of either the dark side of the force or the light side and your decisions you make will take affect towards your game-play experience. There are 6+ planets if I rememberIf you're a Star Wars fanatic I will recommend playing this game! It is by far one of the best games I played on the Xbox/PC. The story is so good you WILL want to carry on playing. You have the choice to pick out of either the dark side of the force or the light side and your decisions you make will take affect towards your game-play experience. There are 6+ planets if I remember correctly, all which take part in the second game. I played this on release so I cannot remember how many planets there actually are. Anyhow it's a must buy and a 10/10 from me; the second game is just as good, if not better. Expand
  14. May 6, 2014
    I want to start off by saying this is one of my favorite RPG's of all time, honestly I lost count of how many times I have played this game after 4 or 5 times and yes that is how much I like it. Where to begin, lets start with the combat system. Nothing that really complex you equip you and your characters with armor and weapons along with shields and upgrades to make them more effectiveI want to start off by saying this is one of my favorite RPG's of all time, honestly I lost count of how many times I have played this game after 4 or 5 times and yes that is how much I like it. Where to begin, lets start with the combat system. Nothing that really complex you equip you and your characters with armor and weapons along with shields and upgrades to make them more effective in combat along with consumables like medpacs to heal yourself. The Combat is turn based but in real time although you can pause the game and plan each of you and your companions moves and then attack. Now lets get to the story. This really is the best Star Wars Story ever written, all the characters are extremely well done especially Bastilla Shan and the Mysterious Darth Revan. Some of the original music made into this game but I appreciate most about the Soundtrack is that the game contained an original Star Wars soundtrack mostly and it fit right in with the universe. This being Bioware I found it at no surprise that the voice acting was superb in every way from Jennifer Hale's Bastilla to Carolyn Seymour's Admiral Dodonna and even though that is a relatively small part it was done so well. I liked Everything about this game and OH MY GOD the plot twist in the middle of them game took me completely by surprise and still gets me every time I play the game. This game has so much story to it that if I tried to explain it all it would ruin it because I would spoil everything and the game is so centered around this amazing story that it really would ruin the game if I told you everything. But here are the basics You wake up on a Republic cruiser under attack then you crash on the Planet Taris with Carth Onasi who is a republic pilot and you have to Find Bastilla who is a Jedi master with a unique ability called battle meditation which can sway the tide of any battle. Once you find her on the planet she sees your force sensitive and takes you to become a Jedi on Dantooine there you discover a threat to the galaxy and you are sent to 4 main and beautifully created planets to find the pieces of the puzzle. I did not find a whole lot to complain about in this game, if I had to choose something it would be one time in my whole 5 playthroughs and beyond my game completely froze but that was one time and it has not happened since. One last thing I want to say about this game is if you are interested in modding Kotor 1 or Kotor 2 download the kotor save game editor mod it is really cool. If you ever were on the fence about buying this game get it now, Its only 10 dollars on steam right now just like Kotor 2, buy it if you are RPG fans, buy it if you are Star Wars fans especially and even if you like video games in general you owe it to yourself to experience this amazing game. Expand
  15. May 5, 2014
    A very solid RPG that helped to establish BioWare's pre-EA reputation as one of the best developers in the business. Strong characters, multiple varied environments, a variety of gameplay types, and an interesting narrative that comes to a satisfying conclusion. (Unlike the sequel.)
    It's a 2003 release, so the graphics, combat, inventory management, and long travel/exploration times should be expected. That said, the lightsaber battles are great, and the game just oozes with charm. You can really see where the inspiration for the Mass Effect series came from.
  16. Apr 14, 2014
    It is 2014 and frankly this game is showing its age. Not only are the graphics dated, even the story, dialogue which many praise falls flat for the most part.
  17. Apr 3, 2014
    This and the Battlefront series are the greatest Star Wars games ever. Every other SW game is seemingly irrelevant compared to these two. As for KOTOR, the story is set 4000 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire. It has one of the greatest twists I have ever seen. If you say you're a Star Wars fan, but have not played this game, then you're not a true fan. Gameplay is also awesome,This and the Battlefront series are the greatest Star Wars games ever. Every other SW game is seemingly irrelevant compared to these two. As for KOTOR, the story is set 4000 years before the rise of the Galactic Empire. It has one of the greatest twists I have ever seen. If you say you're a Star Wars fan, but have not played this game, then you're not a true fan. Gameplay is also awesome, and you can choose whether to be aligned with the Light Side, or the Dark Side. I'm still waiting for KOTOR 3 as I don't believe The Old Republic (the F2P game) doesn't cut it. Expand
  18. Mar 10, 2014
    Great RPG, you simply cannot stop playing it. RPG of this generation. Even if it is old, it's unique. It revolutionized gaming. .
  19. Mar 6, 2014
    This is a great game. It's not one thing that makes this game great. In fact if you look at it's parts, you would easily take it apart and not find anything appealing about the game. It's when you actually sit down and play the game that your realize it's awesomeness.

The game is all about story and choices. You get to play the main character. But who and what that main character is or is not is up to you. You even get to choose what he looks like and if he is a he or a she.

The game has so much choice that replayablitiy is a serious asset of the game. You start off as one of 4 none Jedi characters. Then later become one of 4 Jedi classes. Mixing and matching these class combinations gives you essentially 16 different characters to play. But the way they level up these skills is entirely up to you. And there are many skills to choose from.

I wouldn't call it a hardcore combat game, but this game gives you plenty of action. Then to add to the replayablity you can replay the same character and see the changes when you maybe jump from the light to the dark side. This coupled with the many class combos gives even more replayablity. And the differences can be significant enough where the story feels totally different. They even let you choose the areas you visit in any order you want. Then you not only have your story but each of your companions has their own story.

On top of this wonderful cake, they give you a cherry on top with plenty of mini games to keep you from getting bored. Like speeder racing, a card game you can gamble your hard won earnings on. An upgrade system for all your equipment etc.

And the incredible part is the story is different when you replay. But it is so familiar you feel like you are in charge. You may know the ending, but the choices you make can really put a twist on your story.
  20. Mar 5, 2014
    A good story, but its just shy of passive entertainment.

This was (for me) the beginning of the end of Bioware as a great RPG-maker. Baldur's Gate 2 is their final epic masterpiece. This was a good story, with prototype-level gameplay. When I was told about it by colleagues (console players), I expected the greatest game experience of my life. I was stunned to see how pathetic the
    A good story, but its just shy of passive entertainment.

This was a good story, with prototype-level gameplay. When I was told about it by colleagues (console players), I expected the greatest game experience of my life. I was stunned to see how pathetic the gameplay was and how great the story was.

No doubt about it, its one of the most wonderful stories ever made into a game. And one of the most awful "games" ever made from a gameplay standpoint. I'll move it a bump over average based on the excellent story, but regardless of how much this generation enjoys passive entertainment, this game began a downward spiral in RPG gameplay that ruined the genre for almost a decade (with a few notable exceptions).
  21. Feb 17, 2014
    This game was fantastic. The storyline is very interesting and strong enough to keep you trucking through the low points of the game. Recommended for anyone who likes good stories, BioWare or Star Wars. Not Recommended for anyone who cannot tolerate the "press button to attack" system or someone who wants a Gameplay > Story star wars game (see Star Wars Battlefront if so)
  22. Feb 9, 2014
    Easily one of my favorite games of all time. Originally had it on Xbox and later re-purchased it on PC, I have played this game through time and time again, each time as rewarding as the last. This game has an immersive story, an ingenious plot (with the best twist of all time), great game mechanics, and is truly just an excellent game; it is definitely deserving of its praised status andEasily one of my favorite games of all time. Originally had it on Xbox and later re-purchased it on PC, I have played this game through time and time again, each time as rewarding as the last. This game has an immersive story, an ingenious plot (with the best twist of all time), great game mechanics, and is truly just an excellent game; it is definitely deserving of its praised status and awards. Once you begin, it is impossible to put down. To sum it up: Amazing game. A must-play for Star Wars and RPG fans alike. Expand
  23. Jan 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the best cRPG's I have ever played and is in my opinion on par with BG. The story is intelligent, interesting and surprising. The game play is great and the environment is captivating and well in tone with the game. I have played it through twice, and each time I have chosen the path of evil. From what I've been told from friends, the game was to easy if one chose the route of good, because of the spell "speed", but even these people were mesmerized by the game. I can do nothing but recommend this game to every fan of the RPG genre, because it has one of the most awesome story lines and game play of any RPG out there. Expand
  24. Dec 21, 2013
    Great game for its time. Great characters, writing, story (with an amazing twist), pacing, gameplay, an amazing game overall, a love letter to all Star Wars fans and one of the best RPG's ever made
  25. Dec 20, 2013
    There are a lot of things could have gone wrong during the development of this game, simply because it is a licensed game. Bioware however has created a beautiful world that, while defintiely Star Wars, has a unique feel all it's own. In traditional RPG fashion, the combat consists of turns, but you are free to move, pause, and issue commands during these turns. If your not a huge fan ofThere are a lot of things could have gone wrong during the development of this game, simply because it is a licensed game. Bioware however has created a beautiful world that, while defintiely Star Wars, has a unique feel all it's own. In traditional RPG fashion, the combat consists of turns, but you are free to move, pause, and issue commands during these turns. If your not a huge fan of turn-based combat, it moves fast enough to keep you on your toes. The story of this game is the real draw though, I don't want to spoil it for the few who haven't gone through it, but there is a reason it is considered one of the best game endings. All in all despite a few technical problems with the game, it is a well crafted, amazing adventure everyone should enjoy. Expand
  26. Dec 8, 2013
    The absolute golden standard of games. Words could not describe the absolute immersion and joy, even the sense of being totally blowed away when I first played it, which are so rare for a seasoned gamer. In the seaside planet I could totally feel smell of sea wind, and this is not an exaggeration. The first thought that came across my mind was "this definitely deserves a re-make!" and "IThe absolute golden standard of games. Words could not describe the absolute immersion and joy, even the sense of being totally blowed away when I first played it, which are so rare for a seasoned gamer. In the seaside planet I could totally feel smell of sea wind, and this is not an exaggeration. The first thought that came across my mind was "this definitely deserves a re-make!" and "I would definitely like another several more play-through" And even no, its original quality is still supreme. A strong sense of responsibility to players is of course the foundation, but even that is not enough: the developers are pure genius. Even today 10 years later after the publication of the game I would still doubtlessly rate it as my favorite RPG, easily far ahead of any other game produced later, and one of the all-time best in any game category(It was ranked as No.3 in "10 best games of the decade by a certain media, if I'm not mistaken). Expand
  27. Dec 2, 2013
    If i had to describe the game in one word it would be "masterpiece". it is amazing how this game has a better story and more interesting characters then the Star Wars prequel trilogy that opens up the star wars universe in ways you couldn't imagine at the time. The RPG style gameplay works to perfection with an addicting leveling up system that makes you want to keep playing.
  28. MrZ
    Dec 1, 2013
    This is by far one of my personal favorites. I played this game years ago when I purchased the Star Wars Best of PC pack and was hooked. As a young Star Wars fan, when I started playing it, I was absolutely immersed in the story. Since it takes place long before the movies, it brings about a new and interesting story. Although not the best by today's standards, I still play it to this day.
  29. Nov 2, 2013
    The KotOR series is one of my favourite series. When I first played the game, I had high hopes for it. The game impressed me, despite its age. Few games give as many choices, plot twists, and lovable characters. Sadly, I did get stuck and ended up looking up a quick guide, which ended up spoiling a bit plot twist.
  30. Oct 31, 2013
    This is my favorite game of all time i played it on the original xbox and have beaten over 8 times over the past decade (i still have the original game with the xbox). This game i feel is timeless my reasons being is it has superb story telling, character development, difficult choices, deep history, great voice acting and if you are hardcore about star wars it flushes out the universe soThis is my favorite game of all time i played it on the original xbox and have beaten over 8 times over the past decade (i still have the original game with the xbox). This game i feel is timeless my reasons being is it has superb story telling, character development, difficult choices, deep history, great voice acting and if you are hardcore about star wars it flushes out the universe so beautifully with a setting fresh and interesting. If enjoyed a more strategic combat than this has it, or you can adjust some setting to make it a little more fast pace. I have never played the PC version but this game is a must play its a classic that really pushed story telling to a whole new level. Expand
  31. Oct 29, 2013
    Quite simply the greatest game I've ever played. So much joy to be had in this game. It is timeless. I've played this through at least 4 times and I don't replay games often. This game reminded us all about how good Star Wars could be.
  32. Oct 22, 2013
    Amazing game. It has some decisions that will put people off, some may not like the combat, think the first planet goes on a bit too long, dislike a few characters etc... but for me everything is perfect. I think my favourite part of the game are the worlds you visit. They are all very unique and you'll want to explore every corner of them and fulfill every side quest.
  33. Oct 17, 2013
    Personally, i think it rivals Halo as the best game for the original Xbox. Looking back at it 10 years later, I have yet to play a game that comes close to the story telling or character development like this game has. It has a turn based combat system, which would seem to get repetitive on paper, but harder settings make it useful and thought provoking. Recent RPGs like Mass Effect (whoPersonally, i think it rivals Halo as the best game for the original Xbox. Looking back at it 10 years later, I have yet to play a game that comes close to the story telling or character development like this game has. It has a turn based combat system, which would seem to get repetitive on paper, but harder settings make it useful and thought provoking. Recent RPGs like Mass Effect (who has the same developer, but trust me when i say when KOTOR has a story that flows better), Skyrim, and Borderlands all have elements of great character design, exploration, and game mechanics respectively, but Knights of the Old Republic has them all, and that makes it a great game.

Overall, if you like the Star Wars lore, or like RPGs, buy it ASAP. If you aren't, I would borrow and try it anyway. It's that good. Who knows, maybe it'll become your favorite too.
  34. Sep 24, 2013
    Incluso una década después, para mí, sigue invicto. Un rpg como Dios manda, ambientado en el universo de Star Wars. Buena banda sonora, buenos personajes, excelente mecánica de juego, en general...¿qué mas se puede pedir?
  35. Sep 23, 2013
    Excellent game, and with the very cheap price tag now you can't go wrong. To add to it all of the mods (restored content and improved graphics) you can find available makes this a game everyone should play at least once.
  36. Sep 11, 2013
    One of the best RPGs ever made.

Gameplay 8
    Story 9
    Sound 10

If you're a fan of games like Mass effect.... PLAY THIS GAME! and be prepared for the best video game, Star wars experience ever made.
  37. Sep 4, 2013
    This is my second favorite game of all time, i am a big rpg and si-fy fan so i guess this was i match made in heaven. Yes the controls and graphics are outdated but there is nothing an hd remake cant fix. just have Dice use the frostbite engine and i will be happy. i want to see my hd remake.
  38. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is a must buy, 31hours of gameplay and more. Some small bugs like crashing and bad ally AI when walking keeps it from a 10/10. I only hope for a 3rd game
  39. Jul 28, 2013
    Overall a fantastic game. Easy to play, very entertaining. Storytelling, characters, plot, lore are absolutely great. Maybe a bit too easy on normal difficulty, and sometimes a bit lengthy due to a lot of running around in the same areas, but still one of my all time favorites. The sequel is good, but not a match to this game.
  40. Jul 26, 2013
    I played KOTOR when it was originally released 10 years ago and thought it was great. So when I found it on Steam I of course had to download and replay it. And what do you know... it was still great. If you like RPGs, story-driven games and/or Star wars stuff, you should try this one out.

Some words of warning. I didn't really mind the graphics (after setting every graphics setting to max), but if you haven't played any older games, it might be an issue for you. Especially character and facial animation are very simplistic by today's standards. The game also has problems with Win 7. There are some instructions how to get around this, but at least for me, it took some experimenting before the game started working.
  41. Jul 25, 2013
    A legend, this game changed the whole RPG genre and started the Bioware RPG domination. Writing cons is faster so lets get to it: Fights are boring, back in 2003 it was something new and great but after 10 years it revelaed its true boring nature. Graphics werent amazing even in 2003 and now they look bad. I had something more on my mind but i cant remember what, this game is the best SWA legend, this game changed the whole RPG genre and started the Bioware RPG domination. Writing cons is faster so lets get to it: Fights are boring, back in 2003 it was something new and great but after 10 years it revelaed its true boring nature. Graphics werent amazing even in 2003 and now they look bad. I had something more on my mind but i cant remember what, this game is the best SW game ever released and its one of the best games of history. Expand
  42. Jul 11, 2013
    The second best star wars game to his day, the first one is IMO was the sequel to this, but that's another matter, fun tactical combat, AMAZINGLY well done story, phenomenal voice acting (Jennifer Hale) the dialogue tree, being able to become a total dark side bad-ass! overall one of the best Rpgs you can get your hands on don't even think twice about buying it if you even slightly likeThe second best star wars game to his day, the first one is IMO was the sequel to this, but that's another matter, fun tactical combat, AMAZINGLY well done story, phenomenal voice acting (Jennifer Hale) the dialogue tree, being able to become a total dark side bad-ass! overall one of the best Rpgs you can get your hands on don't even think twice about buying it if you even slightly like Star Wars or role playing games... Expand
  43. Jun 27, 2013
    Really fun and great leveling but nearly none hl content and to many bug on patches.
    Pvp was fun tought at max lvl.

Had a great time playing overall but you soon get bored when at max level.
  44. Jun 17, 2013
    Best RPG of all time, replay value of over 10 years and the massive mod collection constantly enhances the experience. No doubt, this game deserves a 10/10
  45. Jun 17, 2013
    This is one of the classic BioWare RPG. Do I have to say more? This is the first time they are leaving D&D as base of their RPG. The game is still based on pen & paper like rules and feels like sci-fy version on D&D. The story is happening in the universe of Old Republic (the is long before Star Wars movies) so creators have enough space for their own creativity, but still fans of SW willThis is one of the classic BioWare RPG. Do I have to say more? This is the first time they are leaving D&D as base of their RPG. The game is still based on pen & paper like rules and feels like sci-fy version on D&D. The story is happening in the universe of Old Republic (the is long before Star Wars movies) so creators have enough space for their own creativity, but still fans of SW will see lot of familiar places. Player cannot choose any race but human this is little bit shame, but no worries shortly you will find lot of companions, so you would enjoy playing as wookiee or android. As it is common for BioWare every companion have his own agenda and history and would by stepping into conversation when he think he have something to say. As the story will proceed you will be getting more informations from their past and from time to time they will ask you to help them. The story is really great and with twists and stuffs that make RPG good RPG. It will lead you to different planets each is completely different world with own culture, flora, fauna and inhabitants. Main quest is pretty long and there is also lot of side quests I spent 40 h on first play through. The game have good repeatability as you can choose if you are going to complete quests with affliction to light or dark side of the Force plus there are also different possibilities how to solve problems based on yours skill as persuading, stealth, repair, computers, demolition each have its own use an there is now skill that would be there just for numbers as it in many games. The fighting system is intuitive. Fights with easier opponents may feel bit dull, but at least they are quick. You are able to use different items as grenades, mines stimulants, different skills for shooting and melee weapons and also force powers as stun, push-back or throwing your lightsaber.
    Graphic is pretty good and in full HD resolution still look really good as this from 2003. I think this is one of the best RPG ever made a have all those things that nowadays sand box RPG lack depth, emotions you really like some characters and you don't do quests just for money, but you really wan't to help somebody or stop that bad guy.
  46. Jun 5, 2013
    Probably the best Star Wars game of all time, and one of the greatest role-playing games ever produced. You get an incredibly engrossing story with tons of customization. This means you get tons of different feats, powers, equipment, weapons, etc. to use at your disposal, along with three classes to choose from at the start. With so many side quests to do and decisions to make (leading youProbably the best Star Wars game of all time, and one of the greatest role-playing games ever produced. You get an incredibly engrossing story with tons of customization. This means you get tons of different feats, powers, equipment, weapons, etc. to use at your disposal, along with three classes to choose from at the start. With so many side quests to do and decisions to make (leading you towards the light side or dark side, with multiple endings too), no single playthrough will be the same. That's really saying something especially considering that the game is about 40 hours long, so there's definitely some very hefty replay value.

The way that Bioware let us be who we are as a person (all set in the glorious Star Wars universe) is simply astounding. There are tons of planets to visit, and it's pretty amazing to see all of them come to life. There are tons of characters to talk to on each planet; some can give you advice, some gamble, some give you quests, while others will even fight you. Many characters (particularly my party members) are extremely memorable like the fan favorite HK-47, for example. I found myself become very attached to some, and the interaction is basically limitless. By the way, the voice acting (which you'll be hearing quite a bit) is incredible. The lip syncing is pretty good as well. And of course, the graphics are great, especially for the time.

This is an RPG, so you will continuously get stronger, and I felt extremely powerful by the end. The fighting system is excellent. Basically, you choose the moves you want to perform before fighting and the battle plays out in real-time. A die is rolled in order to decide whether your attack will land or not. All in all, it works very well. Everything is pretty smooth, and I didn't encounter many glitches. If you're going to buy it on Steam, be wary of playing it on Windows 7, as there could potentially be TONS of glitches.

All in all, this is a groundbreaking, near-perfect game that will forever stand the test of time. In my mind, it will probably be considered a classic in a few years from now. It's that good. If you haven't played this Bioware masterpiece yet, then GO PLAY IT NOW. Even if you're not a Star Wars fan. You'll love every bit and will never forget it!
  47. May 30, 2013
    A true masterpiece of role-play genre. Incredible depth in dialogue options gives you numerous ways to resolve any conflict and it is all followed by top-notch voice over. Combine this with a variety of diverse locations and memorable characters and you get a really well thought out game. With a constant choice of dark and light side paths in story progression this game has enormous replay value.
  48. May 26, 2013
    Before KOTOR, Star Wars games were notorious to be very bad. KOTOR broke that trend. KOTOR was an instant hit, and is one of the best RPG's ever made.

KOTOR was crafted at the tail end of what we gamers would like to call, the "Golden Age" of videogames. Lasting roughly from 1996-2004, this was a very exciting time for video games. Huge leaps in innovation were seen, developers and publishers took risks, and we saw top quality games being churned out every year. This was the age of SquareSoft's final fantasies and Blizzard's Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft series.

And then there was KOTOR and Bioware.

KOTOR has it all deep gameplay, excellent story and graphics all with a classic Star Wars soundtrack, with new and familiar tunes. KOTOR is Bioware's masterpiece, only comparable to Mass Effect 2. Bioware had managed to blend the fundamentals of traditional DnD gameplay with the more modern aspects of computer action rpg. The result is a fantastic game which pays homage to its roots while expanding gameplay to seamless, action fun with deep gameplay mechanics.

Action isnt broken up through battle-rest-battle, but rather streamlined, and Force abilities (Spells) do not have to be recharged through resting. Instead of the traditional DnD alignment system, we are given a streamlined, good-neutral-evil alignment through actions, and you will see that chage through the blue to red smoke behind your character. We also have a simplified class system. Though at first glance it may seem too simple, it is much deeper than what it lets on, and is more forgiving to players that dont choose the right feats.

But KOTOR really shines is the story. KOTOR's story is one of the best of what videogames have to offer. The writing team for KOTOR truly had their moment here. The story is so engaging, so brilliant it will have you glued to the game. In fact, I am not surprised if there are fans that are trying to make their own fan movie of KOTOR. The story is just that damn good. KOTOR really started the trend of Player Choice, as your actions have their consequences, and not just with alignment changes. Remember to play a male PC, as you'll get the full force of the story, with a meaningful romance that affects the story to the very end.

If you havent played KOTOR, you are seriously missing out on one of the best RPG's ever made.
  49. May 23, 2013
    Still after so many years this is the best RPG I have ever played. I have finished it several times and every single one it was a great adventure. I wish Disney would allow some companies to make a continuation. This is also one of the best Star Wars game ever. So if You are a SW fun and/or You like really nice RPG You have to play KOTOR. Even now, ten years after the premier graphics areStill after so many years this is the best RPG I have ever played. I have finished it several times and every single one it was a great adventure. I wish Disney would allow some companies to make a continuation. This is also one of the best Star Wars game ever. So if You are a SW fun and/or You like really nice RPG You have to play KOTOR. Even now, ten years after the premier graphics are acceptable and gameplay is not tiring at all. Expand
  50. May 16, 2013
    Where to start? Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is, and has been since I first finished it, my absolute favorite game. For ten years, this game, despite all of the other awesome and fantastic games I have played, still manages to be number one. Why? Because this game has what any game should, both quality and quantity.

I remember picking this game up on my Xbox for the first time.

I remember picking this game up on my Xbox for the first time. I didn’t know what to expect. I have been a Star Wars fan forever, since I saw the first movies. It was praised by critics and reviewers, so I figure I would try it. Little did I know that I would be playing a game that would inspire so many good memories in me.

I’ll start with the meat of the game—the storyline. This is probably one of the best stories I have ever experienced. It flows quite easily and was very immersive. This game introduced me to the whole “Old Republic” era of Star Wars, and as of now it is actually my favorite. This game introduces you to a story that you will love and really get involved in. It also gives you choice, such as a multitude of dialogue options which can affect the game in the end. I’m always a fan of the option to give as much choice as possible to players. There is also a very surprisingly plot twist at the near-end of the game which really makes the story pop.

The gameplay is also great. It’s sort of a fast-paced turn-based style of combat. I feel the difficulties are pretty balanced, none too easy and none too hard. The level up system is alright, but can be made better with mods (which I will discuss later on). The different skills and whatnot are very helpful throughout the game, such as Computer Use which allows you to hack into terminals and do a variety of things or Repair where you can repair broken droids to assist you in combat in that area. Combat is just very smooth and I was very happy with how they brought lightsaber battles to light.

The graphics are, in my opinion, really good for its time. You won’t be seeing HD textures or Skyrim-quality graphics, but really in 2003 there were few games that actually looked as good as KOTOR. But even today, it’s not all that bad looking. Planets are pretty good looking and heads for models are detailed.

This game really shines on the PC, and the reason why is because you can mod it. The KOTOR Filefront has thousands of mods which you can easily install to improve the game, either gameplay-wise or cosmetic-wise. I love it when a game has modding capabilities, and BioWare was kind enough to make this game easily moddable. I always mod it when I play it and it makes gameplay even better than it is vanilla.

This game is a standard for all role-playing games. This is what a role-playing game should feel like, fun and never boring. It’s a must have in my opinion if you like stories and Star Wars both. I have so much nostalgia when I replay this game. I hope you all love this game as much as I have.
  51. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In this day and age, their are much better games within the same genre. Personally I think its just Star Wars fans in general and Xbox users that remembered the game fondly. I remembered the game fondly too, until I played it a few months ago. Class system is broken, Persuasion or treat injury are the only two skills that actually matter, Soldier is unintelligent, Scoundrel has terrible starting stats and Scout is the most balanced class in the entire game start to finish. Dialogue is a chore and the multiple choices aren't really worth the investment. Characters aren't all that interesting either and some things like the entire "subplot" of being on Taris is immediately made pointless by the fact that the planet is destroyed (conveniently after you've left of course) later. I could never understand why scripted story sequences couldn't be skipped, as they look terrible and once you've seen them in your first play through you don't really need to see them again. For Windows 7 x64 users, the game does work, but the widescreen fix for the game is mostly broken in the inventory menus, and a "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" needs to applied to the games config in order to stop it from crashing all over the place constantly. Its not a terrible game, though maybe I'm biased as I don't really like Mass Effect either. Of course that may be because Mass Effects mirrors so much of Knights of The Old Republic that it doesn't really deserve any of its individual praise either. Expand
  52. May 5, 2013
    One of the best games ever made. If you're not a fan of the combat then the amazing storyline will be the ultimate drug which will keep you playing until the end. KOTOR is the only game I've ever played through more than twice.
  53. Apr 26, 2013
    simply the best star wars game i've ever played. This is my kind of story based RPG. It does have some annoying qualities but the good far out ways the bad in this situation. If your only into hack and slash and shoot em' up games this is not for you. If you love story based/character driven RPG's this game is for you. If you love the star wars universe this game is for you. all i want nowsimply the best star wars game i've ever played. This is my kind of story based RPG. It does have some annoying qualities but the good far out ways the bad in this situation. If your only into hack and slash and shoot em' up games this is not for you. If you love story based/character driven RPG's this game is for you. If you love the star wars universe this game is for you. all i want now is KOTOR 3 Expand
  54. Apr 24, 2013
    This is so amazing this will stick with you for a long long time after you finish it. This is a true masterpiece when someone should think of what is a good R.P.G. K.O.T.O.R. should be the first thing to come mind. Great combat mechanics AMAZING STORY unmatched this might be my favorite plot a game has thrown to me so far just stunning and i love game that give you a choice and there isThis is so amazing this will stick with you for a long long time after you finish it. This is a true masterpiece when someone should think of what is a good R.P.G. K.O.T.O.R. should be the first thing to come mind. Great combat mechanics AMAZING STORY unmatched this might be my favorite plot a game has thrown to me so far just stunning and i love game that give you a choice and there is no good ending both endings are good you can play the way you want and get the ending you deserve you don't need to be super careful about that you say because even if you go with the technically bad ending its fantastic also it does what mass effect did wrong with the dialogue when you click on a dialogue option you will say exactly what's written that's what's brings us to the voice acting which is truly the best I've ever heard it makes me want Bastille's babies that much more and there are so many memorable characters who leave a lasting impression and so many wonderful places to go and explore with wonderful level design filled with side quests and brimming with secrets just such a wonderful game this game is a true gem in an industry that's full of terrible reboots and sequels (including this game's sequel) but this is one of those games where if even if the next 100 to come are terrible you still had this one glories game this is currently the pinnacle of gaming and i don't see it being topped any time soon. Expand
  55. Apr 16, 2013
    Great RPG. Great Star Wars game. Enjoyed it from A to Z. So much information about the Star Wars universe. Its hard to believe this game was made in 2003 since it is so full of information and there is so much to do and learn in this universe. No wonder why people are asking for KOTOR3 so much.
  56. Apr 6, 2013
    My friend bought this game for my birthday telling me that its literally the best game he's ever played. i gave it three hours of excruciating playtime before i determined that despite my friends opinions, i hate this game. i love BioWare and mass effect series, but this game sucks. also i had two game breaking bugs within an hour of playtime.
  57. Mar 14, 2013
    Now I am not gonna say its the best game ever made, it really isn't, its a good game, but nothing incredible. The story is decent, aside from the big twist (which I won't spoil, but is literally the greatest twist ever in a video game, and I mean that, its better then the Spec Ops The Line twist, the To The Moon twist, the black ops twist, seriously, its amazing) the story is a standardNow I am not gonna say its the best game ever made, it really isn't, its a good game, but nothing incredible. The story is decent, aside from the big twist (which I won't spoil, but is literally the greatest twist ever in a video game, and I mean that, its better then the Spec Ops The Line twist, the To The Moon twist, the black ops twist, seriously, its amazing) the story is a standard good vs evil, which compared to the sequels awesome shades of grey comparison of the different sides to the force, its nothing special. It runs fine on Windows 7 after some tinkering (its nowhere near as hard to get running as KoToR 2). The combat is ok, most people insulting the game seem to be because they were expecting an action shooter with melee combat. In reality, its a simplified D&D turn based RPG (yes, it has a under the bonnet D20 rolling your hit chances) with a small party of 3. The graphics are bearable modern day, and were nothing special when they came out. The animations in combat are incredible, with the enemy actually moving to parry attacks and attempt to block enemy shots, instead of just standing still when the enemy attacks, but outside of combat, it gets pretty meh, sometimes falling to bethesda level bad. It has a good amount of gameplay despite almost being linear (24 hours). You do have choices, but rarely do you get the best kind of choice where both options have significant downsides and upsides, making the choice difficult. The skills are ok, although security is completely useless (you can break every storage container open without breaking items inside like in the sequel). Jedi powers are powerful...if your character is completely based around them which can cause early game to be an ass since your not a jedi at the start. Even the immune to force final boss can have his immunity nuetralized. There is some character development, but it is nowhere near at the level of Bioware's later series Mass Effect. In summary, its a good game, but its nothings special. I do recomend it tho, since that twist is in fact something special, and you don't get the same shock value if you just look it up. (Seriously, its one of those incredible twists where its both completely unexpected, even tho the game CONSTANTLY hinted on it) Expand
  58. Mar 6, 2013
    Just replayed this after several years and despite having to jump through some hoops to make it work on a modern computer this game is still just as amazing as it was years ago.
  59. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    This is another classic who set the limit of PC Games far too high. Has its flaws but story and immersion propel it to 10. Must play if you haven't even if you aren't a Star Wars fan.
  60. Jan 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am just a novice game player, but I enjoy it and play often. This game, while very intriguing and attractive in most senses, has a few MAJOR flaws. In the early game stages, information is difficult to come by and money to support the characters during the quests is next to impossible to acquire, making the game somewhat boring at times. I want to play the game not some stupid card game that you've got approx. 40-50% of winning, and the stakes are too low to be of much interest anyway. Or swoop bike racing that you can't beat the lowest time and dump 1000 credits trying . The money should be easier to come by without having to turn to the dark side and murdering people for it. Thats only the beginning of the problems. Sometime the characters just stand there while being mauled by a gang of sand people or other creatures that wind up killing your party before a light saber or blaster can be drawn. Something is wrong with the game command interface. Great story and respectable graphics, but the glitches and continuity are not very good, in my opinion. Expand
  61. Jan 7, 2013
    Old looking graphics glitch ridden turn based combat plus some annoying annoying puzzles. A couple of performance issues requiring to tweak the 'ini file' and having to play in windowed mode to get through the Shadowlands did not put me off. I found it worth playing for the great storyline also its does have some replay value due to the light/dark choices in game.
  62. Dec 18, 2012
    I made an account on here just so I could write this review. I even went through all the reviews and clicked the good ones and bad ones, because people need to know that this is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. If you don't like Star Wars or never cared for it, and want a solid RPG, this is your ticket. If you like Star Wars and have been a fan for who knows how long, then nobody hasI made an account on here just so I could write this review. I even went through all the reviews and clicked the good ones and bad ones, because people need to know that this is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. If you don't like Star Wars or never cared for it, and want a solid RPG, this is your ticket. If you like Star Wars and have been a fan for who knows how long, then nobody has done anything greater in the gaming industry for you than this. Play this game. It's a masterpiece, it's well written, loads of fun, and not only that, but you can mod the game with mods from Filefront and add tons more replay value to it. You're not just staring at a game my friends; you're staring at an exquisite work of art. Expand
  63. Dec 5, 2012
    This game is a monster. I can still grap it and finish again... spend LOTS of hours on this game.. it's epic! You build your very own Jedi, hang around at pubs and drink beer :D travel around and search for components to build up lightsabers... MANY opportunities.

If they made a new game like this one these days, Metascritic would go crazy about this game ;D for real. It brings good memories.
  64. Dec 5, 2012
    One of the best Star Wars games ever made, KOTOR introduces an amnesiac protagonist ready to face his destiny. The best part is that we control his path in the story with moral choices with options to choose, in which they will reveal the light or dark path of our character. If the developers created a more complete character creator, this game would be just magnificent.
  65. Nov 26, 2012
    I was a big fan of Bioware rpgs, but this one slipped under the radar and I missed it. Just bought it very recently.

At first I was slightly underwhelmed. Graphics, while not bad, are clearly from a previous generation of machines. I found combat somewhat uninteresting. But I said I would keep on going, because I could see that there was something there. And I am so glad I did.

And I am so glad I did. Combat I got used to, and it becomes far more enjoyable after you advance the plot a bit. Characters were great. The game became really, really fun. But the story...wow...it blew me away. It could be a movie. I cannot think of another rpg that compares.

I don't know how I missed this, but I am so glad I managed to put that right.
  66. Nov 20, 2012
    Great game! The storyline, the diverse locations that can be explored, and the general gameplay make this game stand out above almost all others. It I had to make a list of my top ten favorite games of all time, this would definitely make the list. It's a must play for any RPG fans, and really for any fans of video games at all.
  67. Nov 15, 2012
    Words cannot describe how much fun I had playing this, It's like that one childhood game that will always be special to you, I have played through this game countless times and it never gets old for me, If you are a fan of star wars games then stop reading this review and go and buy this game!
  68. Nov 8, 2012
    Good epic. It fills a lot of its time with combat, fetch quests and walking from A to B, so it cannot reach the highest game rating. But the story and the use of the license are outstanding and worth 10$ and 10 hours. But in my eyes not worth the 40-50 hours for campaign completion. It felt like transportation and fetching made up at least 20% of the game. That's about 10 hours of yourGood epic. It fills a lot of its time with combat, fetch quests and walking from A to B, so it cannot reach the highest game rating. But the story and the use of the license are outstanding and worth 10$ and 10 hours. But in my eyes not worth the 40-50 hours for campaign completion. It felt like transportation and fetching made up at least 20% of the game. That's about 10 hours of your time spent taking a virtual character from one side of a map to the other. Not deeply stimulating or exciting. Expand
  69. Oct 31, 2012
    This is the best game ever!,if your looking for an awesome game this is it! it so fun and you will enjoy every min of it, so get for PC or Xbox, it is an awesome game! 10 out of 10
  70. Oct 17, 2012
    There are very few games that I would describe as "essentially perfect". This game is one of them. I have never played a better classic RPG, and certainly never a better classic RPG that also had a story to rival the original Star Wars movies. I cannot recommend this game enough. If you like a great story with great characters and deep gameplay, then you must play this game.

But if you

But if you are one of the children who require fast, furious and shallow gameplay with no reading required of you then I suppose you must skip this title and go back to Call of Battlefield 7.
  71. Sep 3, 2012
    I may be biased since this is my favorite video game of all time, but this game is truly amazing. The first game that ever made me consider video games as a means of storytelling. A lot of people who complained about this game don't really seem to have an understanding of the game's mechanics. It's fun, I still play it after 9 years of owning it, and the story is probably the best in theI may be biased since this is my favorite video game of all time, but this game is truly amazing. The first game that ever made me consider video games as a means of storytelling. A lot of people who complained about this game don't really seem to have an understanding of the game's mechanics. It's fun, I still play it after 9 years of owning it, and the story is probably the best in the Star Wars Universe. There aren't too many ways this game could have been better for its time. Expand
  72. Sep 3, 2012
    It's certainly the best thing the Star Wars franchised has created since The Empire Strikes Back, and its one of the best RPG's created as well. Fantastic narrative, characters, atmosphere, level design, and gameplay all make KOTOR a groundbreaking game.
  73. Aug 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is seriously one of my favourite games of all time. Sure it's a bit dated, with a more primitive NPC dialogue system, and the graphics are a little out of date. But this game still holds up. You can mix and match party members for different fighting styles, talk to your NPC companions which are well written and feel like real people. I do have a few gripes about it though, the customization is a bit lacking, you choose from a set of heads, then you choose from 3 different classes, which don't really matter because you're forced to become a Jedi. Blasters are pretty much useless, because you're forced to use a light sabre. I feel if this game got an HD remake, with combat like Dragon Age, along with the character customization, better NPC interactions, and more items to mix and match, it would be a near perfect game. The story in this game is amazing, it has a major plot twist that you wouldn't expect. No matter the flaws of this game, it will always be one of my favourite games of all time. It's a must buy for any Star Wars or RPG fan. Expand
  74. Aug 9, 2012
    I've never played such an amazing game, KotOR probably has one of the best story lines. It would be sweet if they remade it with better graphics, models and character customization other than a preset face. Either way this is defiantly in the top five of my favorite games.
  75. Aug 6, 2012
    All things considered, this is one of my favorite games ever. The gameplay is fun, the story is amazing, and the character development is interesting (the latter two you could guess after seeing Bioware). If you are a Star Wars fan and don't hate RPGs, then you're sure to like this game. With that said, the game does have its flaws: an annoying inventory system, boring mini-game, and aAll things considered, this is one of my favorite games ever. The gameplay is fun, the story is amazing, and the character development is interesting (the latter two you could guess after seeing Bioware). If you are a Star Wars fan and don't hate RPGs, then you're sure to like this game. With that said, the game does have its flaws: an annoying inventory system, boring mini-game, and a leveling system which punishes you if you don't spec as melee from the start. But, in my humble opinion, the game more than makes up for these shortcomings. Given that Bioware chose to make a Star Wars MMO, I doubt we'll ever see if KOTR3, but I suppose I can keep my fingers crossed... Expand
  76. Jul 21, 2012
    Probably the best star wars game i've ever played, the story is way better than the movies. Forget about reviewers who rants about this masterpice.
  77. Jul 21, 2012
    ok so thei might be alot wrong with this game but for me their is alot more right, I ve played this through several times and the fact ive still never gotten sick of it is enough for me!!!!
  78. Jul 19, 2012
    Probably my favourite game, most of the people who have submitted negative reviews are criticising the gameplay, I guess you gotta know what you're getting into, they clearly didn't.

While it has it's flaws, I just love the game. The gameplay isn't full of action, but it's still one of the best games I've ever played.
  79. Jun 21, 2012
    This is my all-time favorite game. Every game I play I try to rate on a scale of zero to SW: KOTOR. It will probably blow your mind too. This game has everything you want in a game: a terrific and immersing story-line, top notch voice-acting, a unique type of mechanics, and beautiful, memorable graphics. The game isn't a game that you finish in mere hours. You can spend days playing thisThis is my all-time favorite game. Every game I play I try to rate on a scale of zero to SW: KOTOR. It will probably blow your mind too. This game has everything you want in a game: a terrific and immersing story-line, top notch voice-acting, a unique type of mechanics, and beautiful, memorable graphics. The game isn't a game that you finish in mere hours. You can spend days playing this game. That might be a con to some, but to me that just means you get to enjoy the game for a long time. All of the characters have great and easily identifiable personalities. There are different paths you can choose with your party members, so choose wisely. The game is played as a third-person turn-based RPG. Don't get frightened by turn-based, because it can be both fast and slow. It also helps you out by auto-pausing at different times (such as an enemy sighted). It's really easy to understand and different from other games. In addition to all of that, the graphics are amazing, especially for a game made just eight years ago! I really hope if you are planning to get this game you enjoy this as much as I did. Expand
  80. Jun 9, 2012
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a "typical" game with typical values you know from golden age of Bioware / Black Isle. Good story, good for the time graphics, and more. KOTOR not only represents what is well known from Star Wars sage but expands the lore with new stories, new heroes and more. When you check a Star Wars Wiki it is easy to spot how some of the era was firstStar Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is a "typical" game with typical values you know from golden age of Bioware / Black Isle. Good story, good for the time graphics, and more. KOTOR not only represents what is well known from Star Wars sage but expands the lore with new stories, new heroes and more. When you check a Star Wars Wiki it is easy to spot how some of the era was first explored. It is certainly more value than several other games "rehashing the well known stories". Expand
  81. May 26, 2012
    As far as I am concerned this is the greatest PC masterpiece of all time. The plot, voice-acting, game play...everything, is absolutely stunning. I recently completed this for the 12th time and I know I will still go back to it over the summer.
  82. May 23, 2012
    Ok, I played this game back in 2004 or something and me and my brother played it over and over and over, and it was fun, but I didnt really get what the stats or anything meant so I was pretty **** at the game. I just played it and now I love it even more because I actually stand a chance at beating it! (I never beat it before). Truly a must play if you love Bioware and Star Wars
  83. May 16, 2012
    Does no one edit these reviews? It seems fairly obvious that the same troll created multiple Metacritic accounts to leave very low reviews. Anyway, I havent played the game yet but at 7 bucks(which is what it is on Steam atm) you really cant go wrong one way or the other. I guess I also feel kinda sorry for the guy who created all those accounts simply to bring down the rating of aDoes no one edit these reviews? It seems fairly obvious that the same troll created multiple Metacritic accounts to leave very low reviews. Anyway, I havent played the game yet but at 7 bucks(which is what it is on Steam atm) you really cant go wrong one way or the other. I guess I also feel kinda sorry for the guy who created all those accounts simply to bring down the rating of a game on one rating site. I mean, jeesh! If you didnt like the game why waste so much more time and effort on it? Must have a pretty pathetic existance(which is where my sympathy comes in lol). Expand
  84. May 15, 2012
    Ok this game doesn't deserve a 10, since its 2012 now and its old a relatively small. But what time doesn't improve (Like graphics, financial support) is simply perfect in this game. This is the ONLY game I've known that actually give you choices that you need to think about. The star wars ultimate Dilemma, Dark Side or Light Side, come in this game stronger then ever- You will faceOk this game doesn't deserve a 10, since its 2012 now and its old a relatively small. But what time doesn't improve (Like graphics, financial support) is simply perfect in this game. This is the ONLY game I've known that actually give you choices that you need to think about. The star wars ultimate Dilemma, Dark Side or Light Side, come in this game stronger then ever- You will face situations when you actually think- "hey, The Jedi code is to tense, Nothing will happen if I just use my force for little personal gain this one time" And you actually feel the burden of being a Jedi. (Why pay 500 credits for parking when you can just "convince" someone you don't need to un-violently?, This is one tiny example). Until today I have never seen choises in games so real and also effect the story line so deeply. Dialogue in this game is very advanced. Most of the times there are actually right and wrong answers and failing them will not come unforigiven. (Ever been put on trial in a RPG? this is one true masterpiece!) Plus it's Brilliant idea to use the Jedi ability to understand foreign language to cut off text acting- Personally I don't mind if the voice is total rubbish to me as long as the actual text is rich and developed. Character building in this game is great- you decide for you and your companions what are they going to be good at (Jedi are divided into three classes- depending on the light sabre skill and their force manipulation skill). There are many options and you are not going to use them all in one go. Plus the inventory allows many more modification for your weapons gadgets and robots. And of course- The storyline, which make this game a MUST for anyone who really loves star wars, even you ignore the effect of your choices on the plot. Expand
  85. May 10, 2012
    Only few games have got me as immersed in a story as Knights of the Old Republic did. This game is brilliant in every aspect and deserves a full score.
  86. May 6, 2012
    Best game ever made. Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it right away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  87. May 3, 2012
    The Best Star Wars game ever! The story just great and unforgetable. Maybe the fight is slow when you played the 3.921.034th times over, but put that away this game is great and everyone should play with this at least onece in his/her life.
  88. May 3, 2012
    The best RPG i have played yet. This game really takes you deep in to the Star wars world and has a amazing story. Dont miss out if you like RPG!
  89. Apr 20, 2012
    Just this: a lot of the current games out there still can't compete with KOTOR in terms of narrative and story-telling. Definitly a must-have for the RPG lovers.
  90. Mar 19, 2012
    This is the game that got me in to playing bioware games, and rpg's in general. It has one of the greatest stories ever in a video game, and also one of the greates star wars stories. The game also has a nice little progression system and good turn based combat, though it may be a little to easy at times. It's a game with a lot of replay value, and it's nice to see the consequences of yourThis is the game that got me in to playing bioware games, and rpg's in general. It has one of the greatest stories ever in a video game, and also one of the greates star wars stories. The game also has a nice little progression system and good turn based combat, though it may be a little to easy at times. It's a game with a lot of replay value, and it's nice to see the consequences of your choices. Expand
  91. Mar 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is one of my all-time favorite Star Wars games. I love how it tells the story of what happened before any of the movies ever took place. The story follows your character who has no memory of his life, and goes out to find out. It turns out he is very sensitive in the force, and has the skills of a Jedi. Meanwhile, the game's main villain Darth Malek is looking for an ultimate weapon to power his Sith fleet. This game also has multiple endings depending on your choices in the game. If you make good choices (such as saving the lives of others, or helping the needy), then you follow the path of the Jedi, but if you make bad choices (killing the needy, torturing people), then you go onto the Sith. Making these choices will change not only your personality and traits, but also how events in the game will play out. I would give an example, but that would be spoiling too much. As for the gameplay, it is excellent. You have a lot of freedom to make choices in the game (not total freedom, but freedom enough), and you can have a lot of fun doing it too. The combat may be turn-based like in any other RPG, but you wouldn't know it from how graphic it is. There are many animations your character can do in combat, and it all makes it look so real. This makes the combat in this game much more enjoyable. The graphics are enjoyable as well. Everything in this game looks very bright and colorful. Overall, this is an excellent Star Wars game. However, believe it or not, this is not my favorite Star Wars game (that would be Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy). The only real problem I have with this game is its sequel. Unlike most people, I think that KOTOR II kind of, uh, sucks (read my review of that game for more details), but who am I to think that the first game is bad just because of its sequel? Overall this game is flawless, and it should not be judged by KOTOR II. Expand
  92. Mar 12, 2012
    Knights of the Old Republic is one the best Star Wars games I've played. It has great plot, fancy graphics (they look fine even for 2012), solid RPG system and good characters. The main flaw is a combat system: it doesn't have too much features, but the player must fight carefully, using all the skills and weapons his characters have. Characters' animations are quite good and effects areKnights of the Old Republic is one the best Star Wars games I've played. It has great plot, fancy graphics (they look fine even for 2012), solid RPG system and good characters. The main flaw is a combat system: it doesn't have too much features, but the player must fight carefully, using all the skills and weapons his characters have. Characters' animations are quite good and effects are nice. Every Star Wars fan and RPG fan should try it. Expand
  93. Mar 10, 2012
    Ladies nad gentlemen, that's BIoWare at it's best. Probably the best Star Wars cRPG. It has awesome climate and plot with great mystery. By the way, it's set nearly 4000 years before the movies, so every charater is made from basics. I can also say that some of them are as charismatic and interesting as the ones from films. The soundtrack has Star Wars quality- what else do I need to say?Ladies nad gentlemen, that's BIoWare at it's best. Probably the best Star Wars cRPG. It has awesome climate and plot with great mystery. By the way, it's set nearly 4000 years before the movies, so every charater is made from basics. I can also say that some of them are as charismatic and interesting as the ones from films. The soundtrack has Star Wars quality- what else do I need to say? It's game from 2003, so visually it doesn't make any impression. Still, it has amazing animations of sword fights. Oh, there is one disadvantage: it's too linear. There isn't even any imitation of open world or a bit of non-linearity here. Still, if you're Star Wars fan or you like cRPGs- you cannot miss it. Expand
  94. Mar 6, 2012
    This is a game that shows how and why console games can be excellent games; classics, even.

The PC port is pretty good, as the story and gameplay loses none of its excellence through the transition. This is one of those rare things: a perfect game.
  95. Mar 6, 2012
    The game that has marked the end of Bioware as we knew it. Cinematic dialogue sequences, dumbed down combat mechanics, the creation of the horribly over used "four quest hub + ending" formula that has been the staple of Bioware's game since then, the concept of "light and dark side" turning into the basis of every Biowarian game (Paragon vs Renegade in ME, Open Palm vs Closed Fist in JadeThe game that has marked the end of Bioware as we knew it. Cinematic dialogue sequences, dumbed down combat mechanics, the creation of the horribly over used "four quest hub + ending" formula that has been the staple of Bioware's game since then, the concept of "light and dark side" turning into the basis of every Biowarian game (Paragon vs Renegade in ME, Open Palm vs Closed Fist in Jade Empire, Diplomatic vs Violent in DA2) a dichotomy that should've stayed with starwars but instead followed the company during the creation of their own franchises.. incredibly annoying NPCs like Carth Onasi whose emo stereotype can be found in all of the games made by Bioware after KOTOR..

KOTOR turned Bioware from a corp that made great rpg into a corp that made crappy console action games and ports.
  96. Feb 22, 2012
    in all honesty, this game was boring, the action was you target one person and wait for the turns to go by, so more of a turn based combat scenario, and i didnt really here much music to keep you playing....
    the story was what kept me in the game, and the several different ways to end the game its really story based more than anything.... fun-6, story-10, gameplay-8, and theirs nothing more but heres a thing to add, voice acting-7, map design or the background-9
  97. Feb 14, 2012
    To start with, the game does have it's flaws, it does however take a very petty person to majorly mark down such an incredible work for a few minor blemishes that honestly exist at face value.

First of all, the story is incredible. I don't think anyone will deny this. As an RPG, this is what you should be looking for in the game primarily. Completing the game for the first time while doing most of the side missions took me about 35 hours. This game is the only one I have ever played whose story has had me up until unheard of times in the morning to discover what happens next. You should also be looking for a good progression system, and this game certainly does have that, making you feel majorly rewarded for levelling up as it grants you specific but significant bonuses.

The progression is also where the games first vice lies however. As once you have a handful of force powers the game has a significant drop in difficulty if you are a meta gamer, which you probably are if you're on meta critic and/or interested in a 9 year old game. The difficulty can be reduced by a meta gamer to the point that you will probably find the final boss and mission easier than the opening tutorial of the game. I do not know whether this was intentionally done by Bioware or not to further the sense of progression and your character's developing power, but it is certainly broken as the final boss was unthinkably easy, with minor minions earlier in the game giving me a harder time. Personally, I actually like this as it does give you a sense of progression much greater than most games, when you go from desperately chewing through medkits to kill a couple of thugs to easily tossing groups of high ranking enemies (rancor) aside with 2 or 3 force powers you feel like all you've done has meant something for you personally as the player, on top of the compelling plot which has many choices and a lot of well acted, branching dialogue.

The game is paced perfectly too, you always feel like you're doing something (and for a good reason, this game features no quests that feel like arbitrary "Kill X enemy" missions, all of them are unique and compelling) and something new and interesting happens regularly so long as you don't dawdle, giving you a constant stream of interesting dialogue and missions that can last you around 35 hours.

The final thing I would like to mention is the astonishing attention to detail and clear hard work that was put into the creation of this game, unlike most blatant shameless cash ins that we are so accustomed to now. For instance, there is a cantina called "The Drunk Side" the name of which you would only discover by stopping and clicking on the sign, which most players probably wouldn't. I found that rather amusing, and it obviously is completely unnecessary, but Bioware did it for that extra polish and layer of good will. They also present you with a vast array of 'Idiot Buttons', that is, opportunities to press/say things that will cause you to be insta-killed often in ways that may amuse the player just due to how idiotic the events were. It is not only brilliant that Bioware allows the player to do silly things like those,
    but that they allow you to fail is the real stinger here.

Anyway, that is the end of my ridiculously large wall of text. I would like to point out that everyone that gave this game a score below 5 is clearly trolling and/or stupid, as this is a masterpiece of a game the likes of which I doubt we will bare witness to again for some time.
  98. Feb 12, 2012
    KotOR was not without its flaws, but a great classic nonetheless. Systemically, it borrowed from thew Baldur's Gates and other 'pause and plan' combat RPG's... The pause and plan combat is definitely not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. The characters were the stars of the show. I mean, HK47, mirite?
  99. Feb 9, 2012
    This game is bloody awesome. No doubt about it. An involving story, deep gameplay mechanics and great graphics all put together. This is one of those you won't be able to put down. Rightly so to. One of the best games ever.
  100. Feb 2, 2012
    Un gioco epico: tutti, fin da bambini, vedendo i film di Star Wars, hanno sognato di poter vestire i panni dello Jedi e combattere il Lato Oscuro, o, al contrario, valersi dei suoi poteri per far vincere il male. Con questo gioco, io come tanti altri immagino, mi sono sentito in ciò realizzato. E nonostante lo abbia iniziato e finito ben 8 anni dopo la sua uscita, rimane unUn gioco epico: tutti, fin da bambini, vedendo i film di Star Wars, hanno sognato di poter vestire i panni dello Jedi e combattere il Lato Oscuro, o, al contrario, valersi dei suoi poteri per far vincere il male. Con questo gioco, io come tanti altri immagino, mi sono sentito in ciò realizzato. E nonostante lo abbia iniziato e finito ben 8 anni dopo la sua uscita, rimane un gioco attuale per coinvolgimento nella storyline e intuitività dello stile di gioco. Uniche pecche riscontrabili: non è possibile tenersi da parte qualche missione secondaria per un dopo-fine-del-gioco: infatti non c'è un dopo. Se siete amanti dei giochi finiti al 100%, sarete costretti a seguire la trama per filo e per segno (cosa non sempre facile). Un ultimo appunto: gli spostamenti all'interno delle città sono veramente tediosi, quindi premunitevi di pazienza! Expand

1. The level of control that you have over your characters' actions is truly remarkable... Simply put, this is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since the original trilogy. [Feb 2004, p.112]
  2. This is a class act that builds and extends the Star Wars game franchise and PC gamers are getting something their kindred XBOX owners loved to bits and will not be disappointed in any way.
  3. It offers some pretty fundamental improvements over the Xbox version and stands as one of the best PC RPGs out there.