Star Wars: The Old Republic PC

5.9

1. Dec 22, 2011
    I have really enjoyed playing this game. It embraces qualities that so many like in other games to make this beautifully well done. There are a few areas that could use improvement, but with a few patches, this game will be even more awesome.
  2. Dec 22, 2011
    The game shares similar features with other games but has a fresh feel to it. The sound is great the graphics are good and the gameplay is fun. If you like themed MMOs, Star Wars, or Mass Effect, you will likely enjoy this game. Personally this game is a 8/10 but it gets a 10 from me to offset the fools who give it a 0.
  3. Dec 22, 2011
    For everybody who loves Star Wars and wants to be a part of it, this game offers a wonderful opportunity do to just that. The world is beautiful and created with much love for the detail, the Gameplay is easy to learn and there a lot of possibilities to specialise your character if you want to. Furthermore the people who are playing TOR are all very very nice, which may not be entirelyFor everybody who loves Star Wars and wants to be a part of it, this game offers a wonderful opportunity do to just that. The world is beautiful and created with much love for the detail, the Gameplay is easy to learn and there a lot of possibilities to specialise your character if you want to. Furthermore the people who are playing TOR are all very very nice, which may not be entirely attributed to Biowars policies, but nonetheless is important for a game to be really funny and enjoyable.
    Finally the best part: The Story! I love Games with a good Stories and TOR has loads of it. So lean back, play and may the Force be with you!
  4. Dec 22, 2011
    It is laughable to see some of the scores of 2 or 0 for this game. This would indicate that you believe this game is among the worst games available and that is absurd. This is a solid and fun MMO that repeats something that were done before in other MMOs like WOW (quest structure and to some level combat) but provides a different game as well through other elements (Storylines, voiceIt is laughable to see some of the scores of 2 or 0 for this game. This would indicate that you believe this game is among the worst games available and that is absurd. This is a solid and fun MMO that repeats something that were done before in other MMOs like WOW (quest structure and to some level combat) but provides a different game as well through other elements (Storylines, voice acting, and to some degree combat). If something is done well why not take elements of that and reapply them? People's expectations are so ridiculously high if you believe this is a disaster of a game. Did you expect to log in and get to play 20 different races, 30 different classes, and have graphics that resembled a Lucas Arts film? Did you ever think that perhaps the best method, and the one every MMO game uses is to start off small and work up to things like additional races and dungeons. Also note to people, WOW did not create the click a button on your UI back and forth combat structure nor did it create the quest structure of kill this or go fetch that. Games like Everquest and Ultima did this long before. If you take the game for what it is, it is highly enjoyable. Right now the game is more about the journey with storylines and morality points than power leveling to end game content which is all WOW is. You cannot put the cart before the horse. Did you want Bioware to come out with 15 different end game raids right away when most people won't even get to 50 for awhile? No MMO has ever done that and it makes no sense. There will be updates with new end game content as time progresses and more and more people get there. Combat to me is fun and fast paced. Is it ground breaking? No, but that doesn't mean it is not fun. If this game remains the same in a year than people have room to complain but for now you can't get mad because it doesn't have all the refined elements that a 6 year old game like WOW now has (does anyone remember vanilla WOW? It was a lot of fun but not exactly earth shattering either). Also everyone assumes that this game has set out to destroy WOW by being so much better that it robs WOW of its fan base. Maybe the game wants to offer something that appeals to casual WOW players and a new fan base of people who are tired of playing a WOW game whose sole purpose is to get to end game content so you can raid for 6 hours with arrogant, rude, asses, who act like the rulers of their little fiefdoms because their dps meter is higher than yours. It is a just a game people and if you relax and enjoy it, a very fun one. Stop expecting it to be a world shattering work of art that changes the cultural landscape. If you are a fan of Star Wars and MMOs this is a very fun game you should definitely try it. If you are a 3 time a week raid leader on WOW or someone who believes video games should be on the same artistic level as a Thomas Pynchon novel then save your money. Expand
  5. Dec 22, 2011
    Having played both WoW and WAR, I feel SWTOR is superior to both. WoW feels like a cartoon compared to SW's rich textures and lighting. PVE gameplay has been engaging and I like the fact that you can duel your own side. Other than that, I haven't had the chance to get into PvP, so we'll see how that pans out. I've encountered a few terrain (stuck) and graphic glitches, but all in all aHaving played both WoW and WAR, I feel SWTOR is superior to both. WoW feels like a cartoon compared to SW's rich textures and lighting. PVE gameplay has been engaging and I like the fact that you can duel your own side. Other than that, I haven't had the chance to get into PvP, so we'll see how that pans out. I've encountered a few terrain (stuck) and graphic glitches, but all in all a great launch for a complex game. Expand
  6. Dec 23, 2011
    Do u like, star wars? do u like a freaking huge word, with the most immersive story driven quest u ever seen in any mmorpg out there? do u like a deep pet system? do u like lighstabers? this game is for u, just go out and buy it.
    Star wars take all of the good and bad of the mmorpg genre, and fuse them in a unique way, his way.
    Don't expect anything ultranew, u still have sidebar, tab
    Don't expect anything ultranew, u still have sidebar, tab targetting, hotkey for using skills, fetch sidequest "kill 10x" etc. But the level of polish, the soundtrack, the combat animation, is just jaw dropping.
    This is the first time in 13 years of mmorpgs play, that i actually don't mind my level, i want to play just to know what happen next: is my master really trying to deceive me? i am really the new hope of the sith empire? im not bound anymore, to check my xp to the next lvl, hoping to never ever kill another 200 boars to level up.
    Im just traveling space back and fort trying to rise from a slave to a dark lord of sith, this and many more is STWOR, im playing my story, im finally playing my character the way i want to, not bound anymore, to kill everything on sight to gather xp, and proceed to the next area with no real motive other than get another lvl up.
    If u like multiplayer games, don't lose this one, i think we are not gonna see something like this for years to come.
  7. Dec 22, 2011
    This is one of the best MMOs to date. Despite having a few minor bugs (first week of release), SWTOR manages to create game-play that rivals and surpasses WoW and other big competitors. I'd like to make this short so here I go.
    Pros:
    *Great story, fully voice and completely different for all classes *Companions help you with crew skills which takes out the monotony and grind of leveling
    Pros:
    *Great story, fully voice and completely different for all classes
    *Companions help you with crew skills which takes out the monotony and grind of leveling crafting/gathering skills
    *PvP is extremely balanced. No one class can rule them all or survive a fight forever, aka Paladins in WoW
    *PvP warzones are completely unique and fun to play
    *Item customization/upgrades allow you to keep a weapon or piece of armor til end game if you choose and remain competitive , though, it requires work.
    *Great graphics especially for an MMO
    *Music and sounds in game are all consistent with the Star Wars universe you will often hear epic music during your fights and travels *Quests, flashpoints, and operations are really challenging. Bioware doesn't assume that you're a retard like Blizzard does and make everything so simple and easy that it's boring.

Cons:
    *Minor non-gamebreaking bugs, will likely be patched soon
    *Server wait times can get a little long, Bioware needs to allow server transfers for characters
    *Instanced servers

ps. Don't listen to the haters, it's well worth the money.
  8. Dec 23, 2011
    This game is a monumental success in entertainment history, mooove on over WoW theres a far more better immersive mmo experience by the name of Star Wars the Old Republic. This game is too good for life itsself, WoW is laying on its deathbed because of this game and biowae is pulling WoW's plug. It is time for a new mmo to dominate! May the force be with you my brothas. R.I.P. World OfThis game is a monumental success in entertainment history, mooove on over WoW theres a far more better immersive mmo experience by the name of Star Wars the Old Republic. This game is too good for life itsself, WoW is laying on its deathbed because of this game and biowae is pulling WoW's plug. It is time for a new mmo to dominate! May the force be with you my brothas. R.I.P. World Of Warcraft Nov.23.2004-Dec.20.2011 (: Expand
  9. Dec 23, 2011
    I am mainly reviewing this game just to note that it seems VERY odd that there are so many very negative reviews.

I think it's a fantastic game. I have played pretty much all the MMOs, think SWTOR has them all beat hands-down in polish, playbility and fun, and is going to grab the larger part of the WOW fanbase. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for you to disagree with me

There are plenty of legitimate reasons for you to disagree with me about that, but, again, it seems odd to me that so many people seem to think this is a terrible game. Is somebody trying to spike this game on metacritic for some reason, e.g., to protect WOW which needs its large player base because it's otherwise more than a little dated?

I've talked to at least 50 people about this game, many of them gaming veterans. It's split about 50-50 between people who agree with me and people who don't think this game is great, but think it's quite good. I haven't talked to a single actual person who has played the game and has an opinion even in the ballpark of all these negative reviewers. in fact, my 3 good friends who are guildmasters of a power guild in WOW are all abandoning their WOW accounts to start a new guild in SWTOR.
  10. Dec 23, 2011
    SWTOR blows WoW out of the water. WoW has become to easy of a game to play and noobs can get epiced out in a week. Gamers want a challenge and this is it. The graphics are better, the music is better, the combat is much more exciting(force jumping into mobs while a bounty hunter jet-packs into the air and fires down missiles), the storyline is awesome including group conversation which atSWTOR blows WoW out of the water. WoW has become to easy of a game to play and noobs can get epiced out in a week. Gamers want a challenge and this is it. The graphics are better, the music is better, the combat is much more exciting(force jumping into mobs while a bounty hunter jet-packs into the air and fires down missiles), the storyline is awesome including group conversation which at sometimes can be hilarious , the landscapes are amazing and the lore may be the best on the market. These 300+ negative reviews come from people with a their panties in a bunch or a WoW forever fanboy. Open your eyes to a great start to hopefully a amazing MMORPG experience for everyone. Expand
  11. Dec 23, 2011
    After months of watching this pitiful downvoting of good games for pathetic fanboy reasons, I've decided it's time to contribute.

The criticisms about linearity and 'lobby' gaming are understandable (the lobby instancing really turned me off from GW, but it was only part of it, and the rest of the game didn't make up for it unlike this game), but poor. I have played many MMOs (WoW, Aion, CoH, SWG, EvE, Warhammer Online, Rift, Vanguard, etc) and I honestly can't think of any *good* utterly sandbox MMOs. And SWTOR is *not* any more linear than any of the games I've listed. If you wanted a sandbox MMO, and you're looking for it in a game that has voice acting and cutscenes, you're doing it wrong. The story is massive, immersive, and well crafted. I've never felt so invested in my character since vanilla WoW, or let alone as excited to play an MMO for that matter. The zones are much more open than other Bioware games, and more open than in games like Aion, where i felt like a rat in a maze between quests. The warzones are fun and well designed. Perhaps the biggest weakness in this game is the lobby style zone instancing which can break immersion when grouping with others and waiting for them to transfer zones. Zones still never feel empty (like they did in GW), and I'd much rather this than have to compete for every single mob tag and deal with incessant lag.

The graphics complaints are ridiculous. This is one of the most visually impressive games I've ever seen, and it's the apex of Bioware's excellent art style.

The gameplay, while *similar* in core mechanics to WoW, Rift, et al, works, and plays well. You feel powerful, skilled, and in control. Why people think it had to be different in ever aspect from other MMOs completely boggles my mind with the advancements and innovations it brings in other departments.(gameplay is tied to action RPGs for a reason, what the hell did you want, a first person shooter MMO? Wait for Planetside 2.) The moddable equipment is great, and gives you the option to keep a favoured aesthetic while leveling if you desire (and happen upon the gear). The companion system is excellent, but could use some tweaking for the AI and a few glitches. The crafting system is perfect, minimizing time spent on probably one of the most tedious aspects of MMOs yet still giving you enough control.

Flashpoints are fun and engaging, and I haven't had as much fun running an instance since being blown away by the expansive and epic BRD/UBRS/LBRS complex in WoW.

Light side and dark side choices are interesting and suitable (from what I've seen thus far), but I am disappointed by the lack of neutral relics (I have gone light side on my main character partially as a response to this).

It is definitely the newest gem of the MMO market, and one I see myself playing for much longer than most. Highly recommended.
  12. Dec 23, 2011
    This is my second MMO and all i can say is WOW. Bioware has taken the MO Genre and pushed it to a new level. Although combat is not different (i mean you cant make it any different) the story element is so compelling i cant sleep every night i must know what happen next. The mechanics are incredibly smooth and the interface is nice however it should be customizable but who knows they mightThis is my second MMO and all i can say is WOW. Bioware has taken the MO Genre and pushed it to a new level. Although combat is not different (i mean you cant make it any different) the story element is so compelling i cant sleep every night i must know what happen next. The mechanics are incredibly smooth and the interface is nice however it should be customizable but who knows they might fix it. Too all those people who hate the game well all i can say is you keep assaulting the fact that it is a WoW copy. Well of course it has to be due to the MMO franchise. I love star wars and this feels like another star wars movie. i could play this game for months!! There are some slight issues with certain bugs and mechanics but i give it the benefit of the doubt due to the fact no game is ever perfect at launch (cough cough... Skyrim) however in saying that it is soooo close to perfect. If your a person looking for an exciting MMO either veterans or new MMO players will not be disappointed. If the MMO genre is dying this is a great way to see it out May the Force Be with You Expand
  13. Dec 24, 2011
    DONT READ BAD REVIEWS!!

DONT READ BAD REVIEWS!!

To start I have played WOW from day 1, EQ for many years, SWG for the first year and even UO for 5yrs. THis is by far one of the best launchs I have ever seen of a MMO. I am 40 Plus hours in and this is really well done. Is it perfect? No. Is it far and away then any game at launch? Its beyond any other mmo on day 1 by miles! if you say its not then you have not played it. If you say it heavey instanced and WOW is less instanced? THen your an idiot and have not played either. TOR is easy to play with a group or without. THe content is solid and needs some more devolpment but compaired to WOW? It took them almost 6 yrs to get to the point of this game on release. the game play is simular yes but is broken up in ways that wow has not even thought of. IF you like MMO then give this a far try. I bet enyone knocking this has not played it and furthermore is a fanboy of there out of date MMO that never made an impact.
  14. Dec 24, 2011
    This is the MMO i have been waiting, very interesting story, very well desinged combat system thank god no longer hitting the air, actually useful companion characters, crew skills and off course Roleplaying.
    Right when i started playing as a Trooper i noticed it doesent have boring starting quests like many other MMO has including World of Warcraft, fully voiced mmo with tons of dialog thats impressive. No longer the boring little box full of text that no one likes to read after every single quest. every character has its own story and for once i have learned something about the world, something about the different characters. There are so many people with Negative reviews and i know most of you are annnoyed because of the queue times well i don't like them either but we know bioware is currently doing their best for fixing the annoying bugs, Fps issue because of the bad coding , and the server queue's . And some of you guys are just annoyed because of the waiting room system. But you guys should keep yourself positive about the game, most of MMO's had same start as Star Wars The Old Republic had, Including World of Warcraft. Even so that the game has been out for just a few days it has already so much things to do.

But now to some negative stuff, I personally dont like the space battle system its going to be boring after a while, the ship customization could be a little bit more Advanced and there should be more starships to buy form vendors. Bioware tough mentioned that they are going to change it maybe in the first expansion pack. Then there's these terrible frame's per second problems with most of the players and they are trying to fix the bad coding. Bioware mentioned before the game launch that they are going to make the game os that even players with a bit older computers can play it, currently even some players who have a latest gaming computer that can run Battlefield 3 on Ultra graphics are having terrible framerate issues so there is something to do with the coding rather than the system specs.
    All of these are very small problems cause they are able to be fixed.

Now to good things in a Nutshell: Voice acting is best i have ever heard, Graphics are stunning even there are alot fps issues. PVP is good, Flashpoints operations and all other Raids are really fun with the story based quests. And i dont even have to mention the great 1,2,3 choises you can make in every quest conversation.

Giving full 10 points!
  15. Dec 24, 2011
    As a long time player of MMO's i have to say this game has intrigued me more than any of them.While it has not turned the industry up side down it is a good game.The story and voice acting done by Bioware is what makes the game.Otherwise yes it would be WOW or Guildwars its an mmo what did you think it would be? Character creation is a little lacking and pvp needs work but these are allAs a long time player of MMO's i have to say this game has intrigued me more than any of them.While it has not turned the industry up side down it is a good game.The story and voice acting done by Bioware is what makes the game.Otherwise yes it would be WOW or Guildwars its an mmo what did you think it would be? Character creation is a little lacking and pvp needs work but these are all things that are promised to be dealt with.(WOW sucked when it first came out and Guildwars was even worse so give it time)SWTOR doesn't seem like a grind and farm game it keeps you interacting with people and your constantly getting bits of story to help you along.Flash points and heroic quest are a lot of fun, you get a small group together and wreck havoc on a lot of high power enemies.All while being drawn into the story and being pushed by the need to see whats going to happen.Graphics are not awesome but they look good and way better then WOW or Guildwars ever has.To wrap it up here it is the story and voice acting make this game. After putting in five plus years into WOW and 2 on and off in Guildwars its nice to finally have the game give me something to look forward too! Grab it it's good! Expand
  16. Dec 24, 2011
    For me, SWTOR is a great game. It's usless make any comparisson beteween this and other games. It's a great MMO and has some good improvements over later games (the quest system is the best I saw in an mmo) I'm a huge fan of Bioware games, just to the record. But still uses the same old formulas. For me, the most important is: It's a hell of a fun game! I play with some friends and I feelFor me, SWTOR is a great game. It's usless make any comparisson beteween this and other games. It's a great MMO and has some good improvements over later games (the quest system is the best I saw in an mmo) I'm a huge fan of Bioware games, just to the record. But still uses the same old formulas. For me, the most important is: It's a hell of a fun game! I play with some friends and I feel so much fun doing it. I laught so loud in some situations (Im a Sith Warrior) and the parts of the game wehre you need to play in group is very fun. I really don't care if it will be better than WoW or not, I give a sh... for WoW today, played it for 5 years and I'm feeling good in play something new. I'm still with my wow subscription and will pay a visit from time to time. Hail to SWTOR and I hope it live long and give me lots of fun in the years to come. Expand
  17. Dec 24, 2011
    For people interested in an actual story where you have actual interaction with NPCs instead of just blankly accepting quests without even reading, this is perfect!

A lot of the kill X quests are actually bonus quests triggered when in the correct place, and you don't need to deliver them to someone. Most of the quests you have life or death choices to do and it is refreshing. The voice

The voice acting is very good, I have 3 different characters and keep hearing different voices everywhere,

Each character has a different story and while some of them aren't as compelling as the others, I'm always eager to know what my Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor will have to do next.

This is also a great game if you don't like playing with randoms nor want to be involved in a guild. The whole class story is playable by yourself and a lot of the stuff can be done by yourself or with a friend.
  18. Dec 25, 2011
    I, like so many others, am giving this game a 10 to counterbalance the ludicrously low scores that SWTOR has received. First of all you have to consider the source. Bitter fanboys are never the best resource for an authentic review. It's impossible to give a game a 0 no matter how bad it is.That would rank the game alongside the likes of Voltron, Real Steel, and Thor as some of the worstI, like so many others, am giving this game a 10 to counterbalance the ludicrously low scores that SWTOR has received. First of all you have to consider the source. Bitter fanboys are never the best resource for an authentic review. It's impossible to give a game a 0 no matter how bad it is.That would rank the game alongside the likes of Voltron, Real Steel, and Thor as some of the worst games released this year. To say that SWTOR is anything less than 8.5 - 9.0 is an absolute joke! My gaming background is extensive, but primarily console. I bought a gaming rig this year intent to give PC games a fair shake. I've been impressed by some, bored out of my mind by others. Like a pyramid marketing scheme I was roped into playing both WOW and Rift this year. Neither game held my attention for more than a couple of months. SWTOR, on the other hand, is awesome! Not only because it's Star Wars, but also because the game is more engaging than other MMORPG's. Bioware deserves an incredible amount of credit for what they've achieved here. Haters are gonna hate. Don't buy into the WOW fanboy hype machine! I'm about 20 hours deep into this game, and my consoles are collecting dust! This is a must buy! Expand
  19. Dec 25, 2011
    As a gaming veteran, and having played many types of rpg, both single player and MMO, I approached SWTOR with cautious optimism. I am pleased to say that, with some limited caveats, the game is a success.

The general gameplay mechanics are not revolutionary, but in many cases provide clear evolution of the genre. The big plus in this game for me is that it is largely successful in achieving the aim of creating a worthwhile single player experience within an MMO framework. This enables a greater level of connection with the character you have created, with a story being played out that is actively your own. This is a game that encourages you to play with others in the form of "heroic" missions that require 2-4 players to group up in order to tackle them. However, the majority of quests do not require you to team up, and so you do not have to group unless you really want to.

The PVP is still a little rough around the edges, although I have certainly found it more enjoyable than other MMO's played. An "equalisation" mechanic where everyone's stats are scaled up helps to level the playing field, but eventually the additional skills that higher level characters have will make a difference.

If you would like to play a game that allows you to create your own story, full of intrigue, then this game will certainly be worth a try. It will not be for everyone, but in my opinion will be enjoyable for both MMO and Star Wars fans!
  20. Feb 3, 2012
    I agree with Esiasch ( see review below ) the attitude of the zero or troll reviewers is mind-boggling. After reading Esiasch's entry i looked at user review for several games. I believe in freedom of speech and that everyone is entitled to their opinion. However even really good games that i enjoyed and are actually well-made game still have a percentage of zero or troll reviews SO IVEI agree with Esiasch ( see review below ) the attitude of the zero or troll reviewers is mind-boggling. After reading Esiasch's entry i looked at user review for several games. I believe in freedom of speech and that everyone is entitled to their opinion. However even really good games that i enjoyed and are actually well-made game still have a percentage of zero or troll reviews SO IVE ATTEMPTED TO RESPOND to these with my views on various complaints made about the game. SWTOR isn't perfect by any means but that doesn't mean it a bad or sub-standard game. I'll compare to the other available options first. Wow is a game i played for six months on a private SERVER mostly to get used to MMO system , PVE/PVP ETC. Up until this point i was an XBOX gamer and a kotor fan so i was expecting kotor 3 on the xbox. I enjoyed my time playing WOW BUT I WOULDN'T ACTUALLY pay a subscription for it ( check my previous review for a full explanation of WOW AND SWTOR ) . The other mmo's on the market that I would consider are LOTRO and Rift both seem similar to WOW but hold no interest for me. The next expansion of WOW is something i might go back to but that not coming to next year and it going to even longer on a private server. that leaves me with diablo 3 and guild wars 2, im sure they're good in their own way but it made me realise that SWTOR was the only MMO for me. So ive been playing SWTOR since release i have a lvl 50 bounty hunter and 3 other alts on the dark side. I'm going to the republic side once ive lvled my alts. I found the game enjoyable and entertaining but there several features that considered standard that are missing in the game. The two most notable omissions are a looking for group system for group quests and a guild bank. Both these are crucial for an MMO'S success as they aid the commuinty socialization and development. Some reviews have also suggested that they are going to wait until patch 1.2 because this is a live beta test. This is mostly true because honestly the game wasn't complete on launch. They only had a very small release window because of BF3, MW3 and SKYRIMM in november and mass effect 3 in march along with diablo 3 and guilds wars 2. So bioware had to release in december because the only other viable option would be summer 2012. The game had already been pushed back several times and it simply wasn't fair on the substantial SWTOR community that been waiting patiently for the games release. In addition Bioware alienated large sections of the market by not releasing in Asia or Australia and not developing the game for mac's. Mac users have pc emulation bootcamp and parallel so that solves that problem and SWTOR releases the game in Australia in march. It is also also true that there are graphical and performance issues even on high-end machines. I just don't go to the imperial fleet (The main dark side base ) in the daytime cos my framerate drops and it makes running about doing trading and training difficult. This also also affects the open pvp ilum as to many players affect framerates. Everywhere else is fine with glitches and bugs in the odd place but these dont really affect gameplay. There were numerous other bugs on release but most of these have been fixed. The linear aspect or lack of sandbox has also been criticized. Other mmo's have the appearance of go anywhere do anything but this is an illusion. Most mmo zones have a certain level and if you are gathering this narrows your scope so you usually end up going to the same places depending on your profession. If ur lvling as well this creates a lot of grind . The companion system of profession missions largely eliminates the grind leaving you to venture forth on the planets. The linear part actually helps here as your class quests suggests area's appropriate to your level with the option of additional heroic group quests. Most of the planets are huge and offer a reasonable amount of choice, for example i been to tattooine 3 times but i've only been to half of the zones. There is also the fact that the republic side have there own planets and area's on later planets and this is only at launch with more planets and zones to be added. Flashpoints are instanced heroic quests with more of a story element these are very enjoyable. I've been concentrating on lvling my alts and their professions so i haven't raided or done operations. These are still a bit buggy so i will wait until the next patch for that. PVP is fun and more balanced cos of 50 only war zones and space combat is a fun mini-game. Anyone buying this game knows they're getting a bioware product which has standard mmo framework with mass effect's UI and the SWTOR IP. So all these haters and trolls shouldn't complain cos it's more or less advertised as is and does what it says on the tin. It definitely offers 3 months of solid gameplay Expand
  21. Dec 25, 2011
    I played WOW and have never created 6 characters and built them up to at least 10th level. WOW was a grind and always felt like it. The SWTOR environment is so much more fun! If you like Star Wars you will enjoy this game.
  22. Dec 25, 2011
    Awesome game and I am not a big Star Wars fan. Leveling up in WoW is about as much fun as a root canal.. But SWTOR is surprisingly enjoyable. The graphics are incredible at hi res.
  23. Dec 25, 2011
    Well, from what i have played so far, this game is a different and refreshing take on mmo's in my opinion, having played WOW for 5yrs+. i have several characters in the 20's just so can get a feel for which class id prefer, so i have only scratched the surface. if your a fan of the kotor 1+2, id say you will appreciate this game as much as i do. i've read some peoples complaints about theWell, from what i have played so far, this game is a different and refreshing take on mmo's in my opinion, having played WOW for 5yrs+. i have several characters in the 20's just so can get a feel for which class id prefer, so i have only scratched the surface. if your a fan of the kotor 1+2, id say you will appreciate this game as much as i do. i've read some peoples complaints about the story driven questing and lack of a multiplayer feel. to me it has been a more dynamic gaming experience than any other mmo i've played. but i'm biased towards kotor, and care less about glorified chat-rooms. there is sufficient party based opportunities in the game, flashpoints, heroic quest areas, and later raid instances. you just have to play more than a couple hours to experience them. Expand
  24. Dec 25, 2011
    Well if you detest Star Wars you may want to stay away from TOR. Otherwise, the game is very smooth, the story line is enticing and while there are still a few minor bugs in the overall I am loving it! I have also been told that the classes are balanced at end game (lvl 50) PvP and since I am at the lower levels (12-16) and there are no brackets, we just have to learn how to play the gameWell if you detest Star Wars you may want to stay away from TOR. Otherwise, the game is very smooth, the story line is enticing and while there are still a few minor bugs in the overall I am loving it! I have also been told that the classes are balanced at end game (lvl 50) PvP and since I am at the lower levels (12-16) and there are no brackets, we just have to learn how to play the game and look forward to end game PvP. Expand
  25. Dec 25, 2011
    What an amazing game!! Bioware has done it again. They'be brought something so unique and special to the MMO world I don't know how I can go back to any other MMO. There's no way I can go back to reading boring, emotionless, poorly written text telling me to go kill 5 rats. The story and dialogue is soo well done and the group content is the best group content I've played. Soo many laughsWhat an amazing game!! Bioware has done it again. They'be brought something so unique and special to the MMO world I don't know how I can go back to any other MMO. There's no way I can go back to reading boring, emotionless, poorly written text telling me to go kill 5 rats. The story and dialogue is soo well done and the group content is the best group content I've played. Soo many laughs going through multiplayer dialogue with people seeing what they choose and hoping your number scores the highest. Highly recommended! Expand
  26. Dec 26, 2011
    Suck a wonderful game! ^.^ It has everything you expect from an MMO ( dungeons, raids, group content, large worlds to explore, crafting, etc.) with a new and exciting twist I think. I'm sure you've heard it a zillion times but wow does story, choices, etc. make a HUGE difference. I always wanted a game that would add this to MMO's so really happy to finally see it. Boyfriend got me theSuck a wonderful game! ^.^ It has everything you expect from an MMO ( dungeons, raids, group content, large worlds to explore, crafting, etc.) with a new and exciting twist I think. I'm sure you've heard it a zillion times but wow does story, choices, etc. make a HUGE difference. I always wanted a game that would add this to MMO's so really happy to finally see it. Boyfriend got me the game today for Christmas and we've been playing it all day! He is being a jerk and going dark side on options so its so funny to see who wins in the dialogue roles. Loving the game. If you love MMO's you should definitely buy it. Even if you aren't a fan of MMO's but love RPG's with a good story you should definitely give it a shot as well. Expand
  27. Dec 26, 2011
    If you like Bioware and KotoR I honestly don't see how you can't enjoy this. I'm sorry but ever since Bioware dared to release Dragon Age II, an okay game, instead of a great game the trolls have been all over them. Don't listen to these uber low scores this is a joke. How can a game be rated a 0? The fact that it's a game already makes it so that it can't be a 0/. That means it doesn'tIf you like Bioware and KotoR I honestly don't see how you can't enjoy this. I'm sorry but ever since Bioware dared to release Dragon Age II, an okay game, instead of a great game the trolls have been all over them. Don't listen to these uber low scores this is a joke. How can a game be rated a 0? The fact that it's a game already makes it so that it can't be a 0/. That means it doesn't exist. Do yourself a favor and listen to the actual reviews that are coming out and the high metascore the game possesses. Sorry to all the conspiracy theorists but if you think EA is going around bribing every website you are delusional and need to put down the bong. Expand
  28. Dec 26, 2011
    Do NOT believe the people saying this is a lobby game. I can't believe they have the audacity to come here and lie when the truth is well known AND out there. The instancing is a TEMPORARY placement for the massive amount of people playing the game. What would you rather have? 500 people hitting the same exact mobs as you or spread out by 100's? Once people start to spread out Bioware hasDo NOT believe the people saying this is a lobby game. I can't believe they have the audacity to come here and lie when the truth is well known AND out there. The instancing is a TEMPORARY placement for the massive amount of people playing the game. What would you rather have? 500 people hitting the same exact mobs as you or spread out by 100's? Once people start to spread out Bioware has stated the instancing will be removed. They have said this a thousand times and I can guarantee you if they didn't use this as a temporary measure these same cry babies would come here spamming 0's and saying how they can't do anything because the game is so crowded. PS: Timacek I have reported you. You are making multiple accounts and spamming this game with the same review word for word over and over again. Enjoy your ban. Expand
  29. Dec 26, 2011
    This is absolutely pathetic...the same people are giving this game 0's and going to EVERY high score review and giving it a thumbs down and every low score review a thumbs up. Must be so sad to have nothing to do in your lives but troll metacritic. Did Bioware kill your cat? Anywho, wonderful MMO with fantastic story telling, big worlds to explore, great graphics, and beautiful Star Wars music.
  30. Dec 26, 2011
    This game is incredible in comparison to any other MMO I've ever played. It takes a formula and enriches it; adds to it until you are given a game that is near perfect. The combat is comparable to other MMOs, but it feels like it requires a lot more strategy to take down a group of enemies or a boss than just spamming keys. Also, it's visually pleasing. I don't care what people say,This game is incredible in comparison to any other MMO I've ever played. It takes a formula and enriches it; adds to it until you are given a game that is near perfect. The combat is comparable to other MMOs, but it feels like it requires a lot more strategy to take down a group of enemies or a boss than just spamming keys. Also, it's visually pleasing. I don't care what people say, but aesthetics truly add to the immersion factor of the combat. I think the best thing I've come across though is the story. Most MMOs put the story secondarily and force you to read paragraphs of text to put your quests into context. The Old Republic is fully voiced and it certainly adds to the belief that you're a character in a living, breathing universe. Expand
  31. Dec 26, 2011
    The game is fun. Alot are too busy to write positive reviews cause they are enjoying the game, hell it's killing me to write this cause I would rather be playing.

If you notice alot of the complaints on here are minor issues, minor complaints about small details that don't even matter. Overall the game is FUN. The game is designed to be savored and enjoyed, not rushed through. Of

The game is designed to be savored and enjoyed, not rushed through. Of course you will have problems finding groups if you have rushed forward through PUG groups and gotten to a point to where your gear completely sucks. You have to take time to farm rep, lightside/darkside points and commendations if you want to be abe to compete later on.

It's designed where backtracking and building your character up is absolutely essential and quite enjoyable. It's old school RPG gameplay mixed with an MMO environment that gradually builds as your character does.

Take time and enjoy the game, don't rush it, make the most of all the content, in the end it pays off ALOT. Most MMO's don't payoff until you get into big groups, Star Wars TOR pays off constantly and is enjoyable for every type of gamer.

It's a melding of casual and hardcore structure that until this point all other MMO's have failed to combine. It's isn't super easy and at the same time isn't extremely difficult, teamwork and strategy can make just as much difference as stats and gear.

The balance is strong with this one.
  32. Dec 26, 2011
    People from other MMOs should feel right at home in this game, It rely on many trusted mechanics so that people dont have re invent the wheel. It has some great aspects in the game like Space combat, crafting and the fully voiced cutscenes that set it apart from other MMOs on the Market, The main storylines are great for propelling you through the leveling process and companions are aPeople from other MMOs should feel right at home in this game, It rely on many trusted mechanics so that people dont have re invent the wheel. It has some great aspects in the game like Space combat, crafting and the fully voiced cutscenes that set it apart from other MMOs on the Market, The main storylines are great for propelling you through the leveling process and companions are a great addition to the game. When you want a change of pace from the single player aspects then theres group quests to do as well as flashpoints which can be changling and require teamwork. This game has just realeased but i can tell it can only go up from here, with more patches and additions this could turn out to be something really special. Expand
  33. Dec 27, 2011
    I simply do not understand the bad reviews here?!?!? I am a former WOW and Rift player. SWTOR has everything, and more, that these two MMOs offer. I simply cannot wait to get back online to continue my main's quest story (smuggler). Loving every minute and ca't wait for end-game. Also loving the fact that I don't need to roam the countryside to scavenge.
  34. Dec 27, 2011
    This game is nearly the experience that all of us were looking for. BioWare fans and Star Wars fan alike all speak in chat about the wonderful things this game has done for them. Good job BioWare. I only give it a 9 because of the sub-par servers and minor bugs.
  35. Dec 27, 2011
    I just don't get the low scores here. TOR is well done and the story is very interesting. The instancing that people are complaining about are a non-issue as it is easy to group and to move instances. Anyone calling TOR a WoW clone hasn't played the game. TOR has the mechanics of most MMOs on the market, but questing is far more interesting, as there are very few kill X of Y quests,I just don't get the low scores here. TOR is well done and the story is very interesting. The instancing that people are complaining about are a non-issue as it is easy to group and to move instances. Anyone calling TOR a WoW clone hasn't played the game. TOR has the mechanics of most MMOs on the market, but questing is far more interesting, as there are very few kill X of Y quests, and the story is quite engaging. Not only that, but your decisions matter. Your character grows, based on your decisions. The Flashpoints have a story and don't take 6 hours to complete. Each class has their own unique storyline and they really make you care about what you are doing. This is where Bioware shines. The story is excellent and always well done.

Oh, and grinding isn't needed in this game as quests and side quests offer plenty of XP and rewards.
  36. Dec 27, 2011
    I notice there seems to be a lot of haters on here making the same cookie-cutter comments about the game. There's a thing called Stockholm Syndrome. My guess is that the haters here are likely suffering from Blizzard/WoW Stockholm Syndrome. They've come to identify with their captors, and the idea of another company coming along and creating something better than the company they'reI notice there seems to be a lot of haters on here making the same cookie-cutter comments about the game. There's a thing called Stockholm Syndrome. My guess is that the haters here are likely suffering from Blizzard/WoW Stockholm Syndrome. They've come to identify with their captors, and the idea of another company coming along and creating something better than the company they're currently attached to is just downright frightening.

Star Wars Galaxies was run by SOE; the same disaster of a group that handled DCUO and a number of other fail-sauce MMO's. SWG was a solid first shot, but fell apart as soon as they introduced the Jedi without any proper counter-balanced class.

Now, does this game take a lot of what's right with WoW and do it? Sure it does. Name a single MMO that has come out in the past 7 years that hasn't borrowed from WoW in some form or fashion.

Then you get the whiners that are complaining about the instancing of zones. Instanced zones means more stable servers, less crashing, less disconnects. As Martha Stewart would say, "It's a good thing!"

The truth about SWTOR is that this game is wicked good. The graphics on a good video card look fantastic. If you're playing on some crap rig with less than a GTX 4xx then you're missing out. The game is far beyond what WoW is, by a long shot. If you can't find something to like about this game, you're going in with a bias. Period.
  37. Dec 27, 2011
    I enjoy the game. It's not the end all of end alls.. or the new MMO that will lead us to the glory land. It's an MMO that focuses around voice acting, crafting and a Star Wars feel. To clear a few things up. The "fanboys" claiming its just a clone of WoW, remember that WoW is just a clone of EverQuest. Yes, this is a holy trinity game. Tank / Healer / DPS. Yes. It features stories,I enjoy the game. It's not the end all of end alls.. or the new MMO that will lead us to the glory land. It's an MMO that focuses around voice acting, crafting and a Star Wars feel. To clear a few things up. The "fanboys" claiming its just a clone of WoW, remember that WoW is just a clone of EverQuest. Yes, this is a holy trinity game. Tank / Healer / DPS. Yes. It features stories, choices and gear grinding. It also has a new crafting system and I find space combat and the voice acting a welcome distraction. All BioWare did was take the time tested and proven formula, and shined it up. Just like WoW did. This is a "better" version of WoW / EQ / etc. If you don't want toolbars, hotkeys, or were hoping it'd be a FPS MMO... I'm not sure what to tell you. You're obviously clueless about what the game is and you're trolling. So, I give it an 8. Expand
  38. Dec 27, 2011
    Don't listen to all of the trolls on this site; TOR is an awesome refinement of the basic MMO structure with a healthy dose of story. All of its features work well and are fun. Crafting especially is a step above similar games. If you have never liked WoW or other similar MMOs, don't expect TOR to change your mind. While it doesn't innovate much, it is the Star Wars game many have beenDon't listen to all of the trolls on this site; TOR is an awesome refinement of the basic MMO structure with a healthy dose of story. All of its features work well and are fun. Crafting especially is a step above similar games. If you have never liked WoW or other similar MMOs, don't expect TOR to change your mind. While it doesn't innovate much, it is the Star Wars game many have been waiting for. Expand
  39. Dec 27, 2011
    This is by far the best mmo i have played to date and i have played a lot of them. I does have a few bugs but most new mmos have 10x more. there is some reuse of textures and buildings but wow is a bigger offender of it. and if anyone cares to look you cant judge pvp based on anything other than max level because it will be unbalanced to an extent and graphics are amazing as long as youThis is by far the best mmo i have played to date and i have played a lot of them. I does have a few bugs but most new mmos have 10x more. there is some reuse of textures and buildings but wow is a bigger offender of it. and if anyone cares to look you cant judge pvp based on anything other than max level because it will be unbalanced to an extent and graphics are amazing as long as you dont have a Windows ME grade computer. Also if you take the time to listen to the VO its like watching a movie that you control. I to this date have not had to look at the quest log to find out about single quest. NO MORE QUEST TEXT. And one other thing, the people that thought this was going to be KOTOR 3 apparently didnt look at the genre, apparently, its not just rpg its MMORPG so you will not get the full benefit of the game unless you group up. Also the fact that there are mini instances throughout the game is awesome. not many people enjoyed the first few days of cataclysm because of spawn times. the instances fix that issue, and bioware did it to the best of anyone's ability. Expand
  40. Dec 28, 2011
    Hats off to Bioware for creating a fantastic MMO experience! The storytelling mode alone makes this game incredible and even more fun when playing with your friends in a flashpoint (instance). Along with the story I've had so much fun with many other elements of the game from companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on. Out of the game I like the way Bioware is working onHats off to Bioware for creating a fantastic MMO experience! The storytelling mode alone makes this game incredible and even more fun when playing with your friends in a flashpoint (instance). Along with the story I've had so much fun with many other elements of the game from companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on. Out of the game I like the way Bioware is working on issues and every login I see a small patches here and there fixing problems. Even when they had Que issues in beginning they jumped to add and improve servers. If you are a Star Wars fan and like the MMO world you will not be disappointed. Expand
  41. Dec 28, 2011
    Great job of incorporating Story elements into an MMO. All the features my not be there yet but they're coming. If you're on the fence, give it 6 months before checking it out.
  42. Dec 28, 2011
    One of the Best MMO Ever. The graphics are cool, the story is great, good balance and gameplay. Some minor problems in PVP but they ll be resolved pretty soon. The game is more interesting then any MMO i ve ever played.
  43. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is the most innovative mmorpg out there at the moment thanks to multidialog and quests changing based on your choice. There are just peoples who think that if you don't find "action" on gameplay there is no innovation, action exists in game genre from ever and in mmorpgs as well. Instead if you like the dialog system of Bioware you will not find any mmorpg with the same feature,This game is the most innovative mmorpg out there at the moment thanks to multidialog and quests changing based on your choice. There are just peoples who think that if you don't find "action" on gameplay there is no innovation, action exists in game genre from ever and in mmorpgs as well. Instead if you like the dialog system of Bioware you will not find any mmorpg with the same feature, you will never leave this one until Bioware decide to do a second one.
    All other mmorpgs are boring, just farming. This one.. you level up without even checking the level bar, just from story to story, from cooperative with friends to minigames, pvp and crafting, exploration and secrets, the day is gone and you're a bit stronger. You remember each quest you did, if you're not just a console gamer of nowdays action only, you will find that this wheel runs very well and different. Dialogs in cooperative (with friends) are a pure innovation not only in mmorpgs but in game genre, there is no other mmorpg that may say the same out there, other mmorpg are just the usual farming and action will not solve this (Tera already failed in its land, you'll see the others).
    The game is not a 10, it's an 8 for me (but the other mmorpgs are 5, I hate farming and I was abandoning the genre for that), I put this vote just because I think the users that vote 0 to a good game like this must be balanced by somebody (this vote system sucks really, failed completely).
  44. Dec 29, 2011
    This is one of if not the best AAA mmo launches I have ever experienced. It's a great game and ( To the WoW fanbois) yes it is very similar to wow in mechanics, but it brings an unusual twist to the MMO world. It is not completely without its flaws or bugs. The majority of which are easily fixed or can be ignored. The story is compelling and enjoyable. The combat animations look great.This is one of if not the best AAA mmo launches I have ever experienced. It's a great game and ( To the WoW fanbois) yes it is very similar to wow in mechanics, but it brings an unusual twist to the MMO world. It is not completely without its flaws or bugs. The majority of which are easily fixed or can be ignored. The story is compelling and enjoyable. The combat animations look great. There are many different areas to SWTOR that add a change of pace. With a few months of patches and updates, I'd easily put this as one of my Top 5 mmo's ever. Expand
  45. Dec 29, 2011
    I've tested WoW, AoC, DD online, DC online and SW:TOR beta and i must say that SW:TOR is the best MMO what I've played. WoW is too overrated and now it seems like Blizzard has used all ideas because they added pandas to Wow which is just stupidest thing what they have done... And now Bioware has made masterwork of MMO which will be The best of MMORPG!!!! May the force be with you Bioware...
  46. Dec 29, 2011
    Superb! The last real MMO I played a character to level 50 (three times) was Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC). I have to grin when I see so many "SWTOR is a WoW clone" comments, when in fact WoW was cloned from DAOC and Everquest, but I expect most of the WoW players were still in nappies when EQ and DAOC ruled the MMO roost.

But I digress. SWTOR is solid, fun, bug-free for the most part, has

But I digress. SWTOR is solid, fun, bug-free for the most part, has an epic audio environment and solid, fun combat. A great 3D engine that does not stress most PCs, and the promise from Bioware of more content and expansions ... I think this one is a keeper for me.

I am a casual MMO player. By that I usually spend less than an hour at a time playing. So in that respect, SWTOR is perfect since it does not force me into gameplay mechanics which are antisocial to my real life.

I think this game has a solid future, and I'm enjoying it immensely. 10/10
  47. Dec 30, 2011
    The large amount of negative reviews is laughable to me. I am thoroughly enjoying The Old Republic. The game is most certainly not without its flaws. The pvp is unbalanced, disconnects are too frequent to be acceptable in the long run and while the voice acting is pretty awesome most of the time I do find myself skipping through some of the cutscenes to get back in the action occasionally.The large amount of negative reviews is laughable to me. I am thoroughly enjoying The Old Republic. The game is most certainly not without its flaws. The pvp is unbalanced, disconnects are too frequent to be acceptable in the long run and while the voice acting is pretty awesome most of the time I do find myself skipping through some of the cutscenes to get back in the action occasionally. A lot of the complaints I've seen are based on the fact that it is a "wow clone". I don't disagree with this but I feel like a lot of the reasons that wow had a customer base of multiple millions for 6 years is because it had what many mmo gamers were looking for and there is nothing wrong with sticking to a similar formula. As a bounty hunter I have found the questlines to be intriguing and enjoy the Mass Effect-esque dialogue wheel. The game does a fantastic job making me feel like the hero in my story. The early flashpoints and heroic group quests feel well tuned to easing new mmo players into the genre and become more challenging as you level up. The crew skills seemed a little off at first but as i became accustomed to them I like the fact that you can multi task with them and are not forced to stand in a city by an auction house to grind them up. As i am only level 32 at the time I have not yet experienced any of the endgame content and that of course will be a big factor in determining how long I subscribe. But at the moment I am optimistic about it and my guild plans on starting operations in January. All in all I'm very impressed with the game and I feel that if Bioware takes a page out of Blizzard's book and listens to their community when making changes they will be able to keep this game afloat for a good while. Give Bioware time to smooth out the rough spots and connection issues and let the game have its growing pains. In the meantime enjoy it for the engaging storylines and the best part of the mmo genre: killing e-beasts with your friends. If the cards are played right this game will only improve with time. Expand
  48. Dec 30, 2011
    While it isn't revolutionary, once you have played an MMO with full voiceovers, it would be difficult to go back to text based games.

The crafting system is addicting, and there are very few bugs for a launch title. Not to mention the story is pretty amazing for an MMO. If you're a Star Wars fan, you'll want to pick this one up, for sure.
  49. Dec 30, 2011
    Having played every decent MMO since Ultima Online and being an avid gamer all my life i can state the following regarding SWTOR :
    Just Like most MMO's and so many pioneering games Swtor is doomed to have hate posters all over. Mainly people who see their wow guilds being disbanded because half or more of their guildmates left the game for SWTOR will go get their anger out on every forum they can.
    It is wrong to compare it to any other game. Swtor is unique in many ways mostly the depth of the story that they made for each class as well as the amazing work that was done on the music that surrounds the game everywhere you go. The game is very stable the population on the servers is exactly what it should be the speed that you get a group for an instance or pvp is really good.
    It is a game for almost everyone i could say although i cant talk about the end game as i havent reached that level yet. each class has a very distinctive role in groups in PVE or PVP environment. all in all i highly recommend the game to solo or group players to star wars and non star wars fans. i do not recommend it to people who will want an improved version of wow or EQ or anything in that respect. SWTOR is Unique in many more ways than one its an Epic production from Bioware and Lucas arts, its not here to change the genre its here to make players HAPPY !
  50. Dec 31, 2011
    Having played DDO online , WoW and Everquest for far more hours than I would like to admit, I can say without hesitation, that this is one of the best games I have ever played. For the players who prefer to quest on their own, you DONT NEED GROUPS to gain levels and have a great time. If you are a social gamer, the guilds are plentyful and I've come across some really nice players who areHaving played DDO online , WoW and Everquest for far more hours than I would like to admit, I can say without hesitation, that this is one of the best games I have ever played. For the players who prefer to quest on their own, you DONT NEED GROUPS to gain levels and have a great time. If you are a social gamer, the guilds are plentyful and I've come across some really nice players who are willing to help. The game has not gone through any major re-vamp since its release showing they really took their time prior to releasing it. The story line is amazing and I have had 0 problems with graphics or slow down. Im currently a lvl 30 Jedi Sentinel Dual Wielding lightsabers and teaching my padawan the ways of the force... its GREAT :)
    To be fair though, the chat system is not as good as I think it could be and there is no online talking chat service available, players instead opt for other chat options... I prefer to just type but I see the fun in talking with buddies while playing...
    Finally the side games... there are 3 different PVP games that are played and I have not seen mentioned anywhere. One is like a football game where players get a ball and try to score while the other team tries to stop u. One is a capture the flag style game, and the final is a break through walls game while the other team tries to stop u. All are fun.
    If you just want a game to kick back to and have a good time this game is for u. If you want to lvl up and become the strongest jedi in the universe, this is it. If u r looking for something like WoW, this is not it. The WoW game has NOTHING of the depth or story line this does. This is also easy to navigate in and UNDERSTAND what quest you are on, what you are doing, and where to go next (With thrown in side quests and some fun crafting options)
    Hope this helps for those that are thinking of playing. I highly recommend you come and join me :) P.S. I've been playing for around 10 days now and still LOVE IT!
  51. Dec 31, 2011
    This game is amazing. The worlds feel real. Everywhere you go it is obvious that immense amounts of detail and thought were put in. Obviously the game does revolutionize mmo mechanics. Thats not what it set out to do. What it does do is create a Star Wars galaxy with a great story, immersive worlds, and streamlined combat and features. I have not stopped playing this game since I got itThis game is amazing. The worlds feel real. Everywhere you go it is obvious that immense amounts of detail and thought were put in. Obviously the game does revolutionize mmo mechanics. Thats not what it set out to do. What it does do is create a Star Wars galaxy with a great story, immersive worlds, and streamlined combat and features. I have not stopped playing this game since I got it and thats how it will stay. Expand
  52. Jan 1, 2012
    Star Wars: The Old Republicâ
  53. Jan 1, 2012
    SW:TOR is a great game, period. I think many of the people who are knocking it because of the similarities to WoW need some perspective. WoW was not the first MMORPG. What made it great is that it "copied" all of the good things from earlier MMOs (Everquest, Asheron's Call, DAoC, etc) and made them better. In the same way, SW:TOR has taken/copied what was good about WoW and improvedSW:TOR is a great game, period. I think many of the people who are knocking it because of the similarities to WoW need some perspective. WoW was not the first MMORPG. What made it great is that it "copied" all of the good things from earlier MMOs (Everquest, Asheron's Call, DAoC, etc) and made them better. In the same way, SW:TOR has taken/copied what was good about WoW and improved upon it. People buy and play new games because they are better versions of what came before. Millions of people bought COD:MW3 because it was BETTER than Black Ops and MW2, not because it revolutionized the FPS genre. SW:TOR will not change the basic format of MMOs, but it is simply a better overall experience than what you find in WoW. The number one and most noticeable improvement is the addition of an actual story. You really care about your character in SW:TOR in a way you never do in WoW. Your character feels like an actual person with a real personality, and it makes the entire world that much more engaging. Sure, there are many improvements that they can and will make to polish the game even further, but this must be the most complete experience ever delivered by a brand new MMO. If you enjoy MMOs or Star Wars or both, it is in your best interest to give this game a shot. Expand
  54. Jan 2, 2012
    I don't quite understand all the hate for this game. I have experienced very minor bugs, such as the abilities looking like they are not cooling down, but those are easily bypassed. It baffles me that the negative reviews are complaining about lag, crashes, and server issues. I have only crashed a single time, and disconnected maybe 2 times in the 3 weeks I've played. This is significantlyI don't quite understand all the hate for this game. I have experienced very minor bugs, such as the abilities looking like they are not cooling down, but those are easily bypassed. It baffles me that the negative reviews are complaining about lag, crashes, and server issues. I have only crashed a single time, and disconnected maybe 2 times in the 3 weeks I've played. This is significantly more stable than most, if not all other MMOs at launch.

The battle system reminded me of KOTOR, only heavily stylized and faster paced. The user interface does interfere with the

The graphics are also easy on the eye, not great, but they definitely will not hurt you, unless you're a graphics whore. If you go through the trouble of forcing anti-aliasing (an option that is baffingly absent), you will find the game actually looks great.

If you actually paid attention to the quest giver, it gives you a sense of purpose for that quest, significantly decreasing the "grind" feeling. Your class quest starts off slow, but picks up significantly after the end of your 1st act. The animation only looks stiff if you compare it to a single player game, but then you remember most MMOs have a set looping attack animation and skill animations. In SWTOR, you can watch your character deflect the bolts and attacks coming at him from multiple angles (if you're a lighstaber wielder). Each class and their mirror has its own mechanic: The Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight needs to build up fury/focus with basic attacks or other skills, the Trooper/Bounty Hunter can instantly regenerate their mana, the Smuggler/Imperial Agent has a cover mechanic, which lets yo use cover skills and also gives a defensive bonus, and the Sith Inquisitor/Jedi Consular has a traditional mana system.

The classes also branch into 2 advanced classes, both of which branches your class into two very different roles. For example, the Inquisitor has a skill that knocks back all enemies around him/her. When he becomes a Sorcerer, this skill becomes a defensive tactic against anyone surrounding him. If he becomes an Assassin, however, the skill is redefined into an ambush skill, one of which you can knock people off cliffs or stun them long enough for you to inflict severe damage.

There are quests called Heroic Quests and Flashpoints. Heroic quests take place on a planet, and usually require you to find a group to have a hope of completing it. Flashpoints are story-heavy instances, where you and 3 other players take the role of a strike team. I've found that Flashpoints are disappointingly empty story-wise, from your first flashpoint, to the flashpoint where you encounter a character from KOTOR 1 and 2. (hint hint) The final flashpoints feel like episode 6 of the Star Wars saga, extremely dramatic and gives you a genuine desperation feeling. Each Flashpoint boss has its own strategy, which you will need to figure out to beat. My team and I wiped on one flashpoint boss several times before we searched up the strategy.

PVP is fun, but there is only 3 warzones so far. It also definitely favors the higher levelled characters, as they have skills and fully specced trees that give them the advantage. For example, my Sith Juggernaut's Force Charge will stun the enemy, and I can move while using Force Choke. This definitely gives me the edge in PVP. However, it is a very slight edge, and most matchups come down to whoever has more skill.

I would give this a full score, but there is one severe flaw: endgame. There is absolutely nothing to do at endgame except one raid. The single player quests which take place on Ilum also turn into a grind fest quickly, and you will be better of starting another character.

Bioware has promised many features unavailable in most other MMOs, one of them being the fabled "Guild Capital Ship". They have also promised more planets, more flashpoints, more warzones, and most importantly, more raids. I look forward to watching this game grow and develop as time passes.
  55. Jan 2, 2012
    I honestly think that these negative reviews of every game that you see on the website is absolutely insane. I don't understand why people are hating on The Old Republic JUST BECAUSE IT IS SIMILAR TO WoW?
    It has absolutely NO similarity to World of Warcraft whatsoever. If anyone is complaining that this game is a disappointment then this game may not be the game for them. For Star Wars fans like myself, I would absolutely recommend this game for you. People are obviously going to troll about a game that is similar in any fashion to another game, that is the way of life. People do not know how to review because they have nothing better to do besides write something completely untrue. This game is definitely new, I'll admit that there are a few flaws at the moment since this is a brand new MMORPG, but I expect these issues to be fixed within a few weeks or a few months. People who are not patient are of course going to troll on this website. To be honest, I think that Metacritic is the only website that there is so many negative reviews of this game. Is there some sort of rebellion towards good video games or something? Because I do not understand why there such a ridiculous number of negative reviews on GOOD GAMES.
    Some advice to the trolls that do not agree with this argument that I am trying to write about, GO OUTSIDE. Get a life please because I am sick of hearing these stupid reviews because I know for a fact that half of you guys have never even played the game and are writing from your **** I just made this account today because I had enough with these stupid reviews! Star Wars: The Old Republic is a must buy of this years MMORPG's of 2012 so please get it if you have the chance.
  56. Jan 2, 2012
    As a disclaimer, the last reall MMO I played in depth was Everquest and before that Ultima Online, so this new generation of MMOs (including WoW) has never entered into the equation in regards to what I play. Saying that, I don't think that I have ever played a game that has captured the essence of Star Wars so well; I am absolutely having a blast playing SW:TOR. I am not a video gameAs a disclaimer, the last reall MMO I played in depth was Everquest and before that Ultima Online, so this new generation of MMOs (including WoW) has never entered into the equation in regards to what I play. Saying that, I don't think that I have ever played a game that has captured the essence of Star Wars so well; I am absolutely having a blast playing SW:TOR. I am not a video game reviewer, so I will keep this short and sweet: I think about playing this game many times while I am doing other things, including playing other games! I was playing Uncharted 3 a day ago (which is part of one of my favorite series of all time) and I thought to myself, "I should really go play some SW:TOR. I'm missing out on the action!"

Suffice to say, the story is what brings the whole package together. I've always been a fan of Bioware and how they tell their stories, and even though this game is an MMO, they have still captured that same brilliance in this regard. Even many of the subplots are quite amazing!

I have a feeling that much of the negativity on this review board stems from people who have played and got bored with WoW and don't find this to be as big of a step that they were expecting or are still playing religiously and are afraid that this game may steal some of it's thunder. As a new player of the new generation of MMOs, I can honestly say that I couldn't have asked for much more. I am in love!
  57. Jan 3, 2012
    The Old Republic is jam packed with content. Playing through the first two worlds on both Republic and Imperial sides, I have enjoyed several hours of gameplay and it feels like I just scratched the surface. I review this game as a casual WoW player who enjoys single player RPGs and Bioware has done a great job bringing the genres together. The Old Republic includes voice acted questThe Old Republic is jam packed with content. Playing through the first two worlds on both Republic and Imperial sides, I have enjoyed several hours of gameplay and it feels like I just scratched the surface. I review this game as a casual WoW player who enjoys single player RPGs and Bioware has done a great job bringing the genres together. The Old Republic includes voice acted quest progression that immerses the player into the story rather than the game. Much like in the KOTOR series your actions help form your character's story while also giving you benefits for the MMO such as being able to equip an evil light saber. Every player also uses a companion NPC which has useful abilities to aid your particular class (a healer for tanks for example). These companions will do crafting missions to gather resources as well as turn materials into items for the player. Crafting is simple and very similar to other MMOs; however, Bioware has included a chance for players to craft exceptional gear which adds bonuses to items and also allows them to craft the upgraded version into an even higher quality item. The Star Wars universe feels extremely large even before you're able to fly your own ship. Players take speeder bikes or taxis around huge maps giving each section of the world a large amount of space to expand and room for more quests and story. Groups of players can take on difficult missions called Heroics for bigger rewards and harder challenges. There are also many Flashpoints (TOR version of dungeons/instances) with full story lines and strategic boss battles for advanced players and teams. With only 7 days of experience, I still have so much left to play: PVP, Operations (raids), datacron searching (Google it), and space battles! I would recommend The Old Republic to players with patience, fast reaction, critical thinking, and at least a small fondness for the Star Wars universe. It is expected for a game with thousands of quests, a hundred zones, and millions of players to have bugs in the first month of its release. Many reviewers expect this game to be polished out of the box and blow all other MMOs out of the competition, but this is simply just another great game that everyone should play. Bioware has put an estimated 200-300 million dollars into the development of this game and they're listening to their players, do not underestimate the potential of The Old Republic. Expand
  58. Jan 3, 2012
    End game pvp consists of fighting low level players in warzones. It is completely unchallenging for the level 50s and impossibly frustrating for level 10 - 40s. There are no level brackets. The system is an absolute joke.

PvP gets a score of 2 out of 10.

The questing gets an 8/10

Average score for the game 6/10

Reccomend: Not worth buying
  59. Jan 5, 2012
    This game is great, lots of fun, the best PvE I've ever seen so far in a Mmo (f2p or p2p), kinda wow clone with star wars theme (and that's great 'cuz I love vanilla wow but nowadays Cataclysm sucks so I was waiting for something like this, same gameplay, different stylah).

It has bugs, but who cares, they'll get fixed asap, in 6 months I bet this game will be even moar awesome, with end game raids and pvp shining in the sky like a bright star... just like Nar Shadda.

Btw I've never been a SW fanboy, I liked 4 of the 6 movies (the original trilogy and the last one), and I barely knew any of SW lore before playing this, and i'm enjoying all questlines... so you don't need to be a fanboy to like this game ^^ .
  60. Jan 6, 2012
    I have played MMO's since the original EverQuest. I enjoy this more than any game I have ever played... Sound like a fanboi? Probably, but I have not ever reviewed another game, on any other site. It is quite simply, a wonderful game.
  61. Jan 6, 2012
    Where are the early reviews like G4's 5/5. This game is awesome and should be reflected as such.
    It is no doubt MMO of the year and the best total package to come along in some time.
  62. wkk
    Jan 7, 2012
    Excellent game. Won't please any WoW fanboys though. If you are looking for another replica of WoW, look elsewhere. But if you are sick of WoW and the many clones out there, come on in. The negative ratings by many of you just shows how silly you are. On one hand you hope for a game different from WoW but criticize it when it doesn't feel like WoW. Stick on to WoW for life and spare othersExcellent game. Won't please any WoW fanboys though. If you are looking for another replica of WoW, look elsewhere. But if you are sick of WoW and the many clones out there, come on in. The negative ratings by many of you just shows how silly you are. On one hand you hope for a game different from WoW but criticize it when it doesn't feel like WoW. Stick on to WoW for life and spare others of your narrow vision of what is considered a fun game. Expand
  63. Jan 7, 2012
    I can't believe some of these people on here are able to function in normal society...
    This game is fantastic and if you haven't picked it up yet you owe it to yourself to do so. Yes, it is an mmorpg and has many of the staples that every other mmorpg has. If you don't like mmorpg's, don't play them. Does the game have similarites to WoW? Of course it does. However, it is much better in every way. The story elements are fantastic, no longer do you right click an exclamtion point and hit accept. The gameplay is smooth and polished, and visually exciting. Never have I played an mmo at launch with as FEW bugs and problems as SWTOR. I say few because there are some minor ones, which will no doubt be ironed out with patches.

You people on metacritic are ridiculous, I made an account just to make that point. It's like every game that comes out now that is "too similar" to another game you just give a 0. This game is wonderful and will only get better, you'd be doing yourself a favor by picking it up and not listening to these trolls.
  64. Jan 8, 2012
    SWTOR comes with a big caveat: if you're one of those people who drools over sandbox MMO's and can only enjoy those MMO's or MMO's of 10 years ago or if you're one those gamers who have grown jaded and burnt themselves out on themepark MMO's after playing them for many years and many thousands of hours, then look elsewhere: SWTOR is not the MMO you're looking for. It should be obvious toSWTOR comes with a big caveat: if you're one of those people who drools over sandbox MMO's and can only enjoy those MMO's or MMO's of 10 years ago or if you're one those gamers who have grown jaded and burnt themselves out on themepark MMO's after playing them for many years and many thousands of hours, then look elsewhere: SWTOR is not the MMO you're looking for. It should be obvious to everyone who has an inkling of knowledge about MMORPG's: SWTOR is a themepark MMORPG in the style of WoW, LotrO, Rift and others in that MMO subgenre. Those people who have lost the ability to enjoy themselves in themepark MMO's or lacked that ability from the start, I'd advice to steer away from SWTOR, unless you enjoyed former BW games or can appreciate a more story focused questing experience. However, those people who up till now had a great time with themepark MMO's like WoW, LotrO, Aion, and/or Rift, SWTOR has a wealth to offer. All the usual MMO features like open world PvP, dungeons, battlegrounds (warzones), large planets to explore and crafting are fused with BW's brand of story crafting and level of quality. Does BW's own twist makes a difference? Hell yes! I can honestly say that BW's approach to adding more immersive story to the gameplay makes questing the most interesting, immersive experience I have had so far in any MMO in 10 years of playing MMO's. I tried Rift a year ago, and I found the questing boring as hell, making leveling a lot more tedious. I got a glimpse of how story can make questing and leveling more fun in MMO's like LotrO book quests and AoC's Tortage and destiny quests. But SWTOR upgrades it to another level and fully immerses you in that kind of questing experience. And it's great. Add to that huge planets to explore (those that enjoyed exploring in vast worlds like Asheron's Call and Everquest will certainly love this aspect in SWTOR), crafting that's more varied and fun than in as good as all other MMO's, and PvP fun to be had in objective based open world PvP, Free-For-All PvP and SWTOR's battlegrounds with a fun gladiator sports style arena like Huttball, and there's a lot to keep busy and entertained with, at least for gamers who're still able to enjoy themepark MMO's :-) I'm looking forward to what more BW has planned with SWTOR. Expand
  65. Jan 8, 2012
    Having played tons of mmo's, mudd's, digital and pen/paper rpg's I am going to rate this in the top 15% of my gaming experiences. It still has some minor yet annoying bugs so it doesn't get a top 10%, but I think it has the potential to end up there. It is likely that many of the nay-say'ers don't remember the bugs and shortcomings that UO, EQ or WoW had when they were new, let alone howHaving played tons of mmo's, mudd's, digital and pen/paper rpg's I am going to rate this in the top 15% of my gaming experiences. It still has some minor yet annoying bugs so it doesn't get a top 10%, but I think it has the potential to end up there. It is likely that many of the nay-say'ers don't remember the bugs and shortcomings that UO, EQ or WoW had when they were new, let alone how far this kind of gaming has come from it's roots; games like Zork, Adventure Construction Set, the many mudd's and bbs games to appreciate the potential of this game. I think we have all become a little spoiled and look for what to pick apart instead of appreciating the magnitude and beauty of what we have. Expand
  66. Jan 9, 2012
    I signed up for this game at launch, and despite the flood of people telling me how horrible it is, I've not had so much fun since the early days of WOW. Lots of people are complaining about the quests being kill 10 of this, but I don't know where they are getting that. When you get a quest often times you can get a bonus quest to kill certain number of mobs in the area, but theyI signed up for this game at launch, and despite the flood of people telling me how horrible it is, I've not had so much fun since the early days of WOW. Lots of people are complaining about the quests being kill 10 of this, but I don't know where they are getting that. When you get a quest often times you can get a bonus quest to kill certain number of mobs in the area, but they aren't required to complete the main quest, if you can sneak in and out without killing then you can. Expand
  67. Jan 9, 2012
    LOL i love all the 0`s that people are posting just to bring down the score, lets be honest, is it revolutionary? no. Does it need to be ? no. when you by new music from an artist you are expecting it to sound a certain way, when you purchase a game following a certain genre your expecting it to be a certain style of game play. I have found Biowares Latest entry into the MMO community toLOL i love all the 0`s that people are posting just to bring down the score, lets be honest, is it revolutionary? no. Does it need to be ? no. when you by new music from an artist you are expecting it to sound a certain way, when you purchase a game following a certain genre your expecting it to be a certain style of game play. I have found Biowares Latest entry into the MMO community to be great, with several improvements in the genre i.e.: no auto attack. Expand
  68. Jan 10, 2012
    I am hitting myself for buying into the hype. I'm not a fan of StarWars, though I am a fan of MMORPG's and ScienceFiction/Fantasy so this seemed a safe buy. I was hesitant at first, but as soon as the majority of my friends bought it I knew I had to as well. What a mistake. Boring, repetitive, empty, sluggish and buggy. Not a BAD game, but not worthy of being called anything beyondI am hitting myself for buying into the hype. I'm not a fan of StarWars, though I am a fan of MMORPG's and ScienceFiction/Fantasy so this seemed a safe buy. I was hesitant at first, but as soon as the majority of my friends bought it I knew I had to as well. What a mistake. Boring, repetitive, empty, sluggish and buggy. Not a BAD game, but not worthy of being called anything beyond mediocre, if only because of it's good - not great - graphics (though by today's standards isn't saying much) and I must admit great voice acting. I tried REALLY hard to like this game, but to no avail. PvP is lackluster, with no skill involved, and instances are so simple it's pathetic. I have also heard from end game players that there is only ONE RAID, which is bugged to the max. I canceled my subscription already, and have a another week or so for the 30 free days but I won't be playing it again. If you like WoW like I do for it's polished, accessible, vast world and lore, I would suggest you avoid this bland in comparison copy with a StarWars skin. If you hate WoW then perhaps this is the game for you. Expand
  69. Jan 11, 2012
    Well lets see, SWTOR is in short...great! Bioware managed to make a game that is not so different that people will be scared off but at the same time they made it innovative and fresh. People are saying that there is no innovation, and I invite these people to find me another MMO with fully voice acting, individual stories for every class and the ability to change the direction of questWell lets see, SWTOR is in short...great! Bioware managed to make a game that is not so different that people will be scared off but at the same time they made it innovative and fresh. People are saying that there is no innovation, and I invite these people to find me another MMO with fully voice acting, individual stories for every class and the ability to change the direction of quest lines. The game looks a lot like WOW did in its earlier stages which may make people think twice, but don't Bioware is adding updates all the time to streamline, what is already a very smooth game. All that said this is NOT that WOW killer that people have been calling it, I say that because there has never even been a game that matched WOW so bringing down the giant will take many, many improvements. SWTOR will defiantly be the first to match WOW in size and this will make for great competition that will ultimately improve both games. This game is a very innovative addition to the MMO world and will probably start a new generation of story based, fully voiced games. Final note to haters, you are free to not like SWTOR but don't act out by giving it these awful reveiws when you know that it is not as bad as you make it out to be! Expand
  70. Jan 11, 2012
    With the exception of Space Combat being so generic, this is a fantastic game! Though similar in its core to World of Warcraft, I actually care about the storyline. In WoW I was gone after 1 month of play from boredom which I don't foresee here. Hopefully, Space will be expanded upon so that it's closer to Star Wars Galaxies. Unless there is a game for this in particular I'm unaware of?
  71. Jan 11, 2012
    I played WoW for a few months, but really felt the experience lacking because it just felt like a grind. This game has done an amazing job of keeping me interested by incorporating a story. A lot of criticism I've seen points to a lackluster endgame, but the nice thing about this title is that you can always start a new character and experience a different class's story. The game playI played WoW for a few months, but really felt the experience lacking because it just felt like a grind. This game has done an amazing job of keeping me interested by incorporating a story. A lot of criticism I've seen points to a lackluster endgame, but the nice thing about this title is that you can always start a new character and experience a different class's story. The game play mechanics are probably the most lacking part of the game, and I do get a little bored at times in combat when I'm just sitting back and hitting a different number to do the next action, but I feel like the overall experience makes up for that. Expand
  72. Jan 12, 2012
    Star Wars: The Old Republic does not much differently to World Of Warcraft. The controls are the same pretty much and the integral game play mechanics are the same.

However, it's the story that drags you in, unlike WoW, it is not a wall of text, it IS interesting, you care about your character, you want to find out what happens next. Also, I think it's disgusting how people have come

Also, I think it's disgusting how people have come onto the site simply to troll the game.

It is excellent - buy it!
  73. Jan 12, 2012
    Pleasantly surprised by the game. It isn't what I was expecting, and I'd still like to see more out of it like co-op and pvp in space etc, but it's off to a good start.
  74. Jan 13, 2012
    I've been playing MMOs since the days of EQ1. From EQ2, Conan, Anarchy Online, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, DAoC and WoW, I have to say, no MMO has pulled me into the story quite like SWTOR. Finally, I feel like I'm actually part of the story. The class centric main quests are done so well, I can see why the developers said that SWTOR is really KOTOR x 8. From presentation, combat systems,I've been playing MMOs since the days of EQ1. From EQ2, Conan, Anarchy Online, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, DAoC and WoW, I have to say, no MMO has pulled me into the story quite like SWTOR. Finally, I feel like I'm actually part of the story. The class centric main quests are done so well, I can see why the developers said that SWTOR is really KOTOR x 8. From presentation, combat systems, crafting systems, great quest system, I have to say that SWTOR has surpassed all of my expectations. I strongly recommend it. Expand
  75. Jan 13, 2012
    Most of the reviews are from bitter fans of games that are rapidly losing their subscriptions to this one. This is the most rich and story focused MMO ever made. Play the game, let it speak for itself. If you're looking for a meaningful experience, and not just another MMO grind, you won't be disappointed. And this is just the game at launch!
  76. Jan 14, 2012
    The best MMORPG out there, end of. The PVP is great fun, especially Illum, couple that with Excellent story telling, great community, and engaging combat, its everything you could want and more from an MMO
  77. Jan 14, 2012
    Star war the old republich is much better than WoW for now, I can say that cazu I have play WoW 7 years, and there is nothing new in WoW just endless raid and quite easy, but SWTOR has push the MMO in a new direction. WoW is a good MMO ever, but it does not means no one can do better than WoW. So do not fight with myself if you can not accept SWTOR.
  78. Jan 15, 2012
    This game is AMAZING! It is NOT a reskinned WoW like all of the trolls and WoW players would have you believe. It is an MMO, and a great one at that. While questing on planets, you're encouraged to group up with other players to complete certain 2-4 player heroic quests, where as in WoW if you group with others you have exp points slashed. The story is amazing, and for the first time everThis game is AMAZING! It is NOT a reskinned WoW like all of the trolls and WoW players would have you believe. It is an MMO, and a great one at that. While questing on planets, you're encouraged to group up with other players to complete certain 2-4 player heroic quests, where as in WoW if you group with others you have exp points slashed. The story is amazing, and for the first time ever I have felt the urge to roll different classes to experienc the full story. The theme of the game is more mature than that of other MMO's and the players themselves are more mature. PvP balancing is something that needs to be looked into, but that is something that can be fixed in a patch. I've encountered very few bugs, and have had no problems with performance playing this game. Overall I 'm rating this game a 10. By far the best launch and fewest problems I have ever experienced from an MMO. If you are a Star Wars fan, or a fan of Knights of the Old Republic, this game is for you! Expand
  79. Jan 17, 2012
    This is without a doubt one of the most polished and well crafted MMO to ever launch. The game isn't perfect, and the game is being patched often and fixes made to what doesn't work. What does work, has been nailed perfectly Bioware and and it's weakest areas are getting stronger.

You should be weary of reviews from users like: MagusGrandios There are people a vested interest in wanting

You should be weary of reviews from users like: MagusGrandios

There are people a vested interest in wanting the game to fail. Most of them have even touched the game. It has been rated the most helpful review. The majority of his review is full of information that is factually untrue about the game. A lot of the negative reviews on here are like that. I'm not saying all of them are, but when you've played game and, and you read some of the negative reviews, you can tell who genuinely didn't like the game, and who has obviously never touched the game and is just trolling everyone.
  80. Jan 17, 2012
    As themeparks go, this game is a great one. It doesn't redefine the genera, but it didn't try to. What it did add is fun and worthwhile.
    Character creation is more than WoW but less than, say, Aion... and though at first I didn't like it, I quickly noticed there is a great deal of variety in male characters, anyway, in the game. The UI is really barely adequate and if not for some of the other features, it would have dragged this rating lower. No macros, no addons, no ability to move anything.
    PvE combat is rather satisfying to me because instead of taking on one mob at a time, you routinely fight 3-5 mobs, including packs with tougher mobs in them. This lends to the feeling of a more "epic" experience, especially with the companion.
    PvP is good and getting better every patch. Skill really does matter (I did a premade of level 20-40s, max level or 43 and only 1 50 pug on our side and we took out one of the 'better" 50 Empire premades on our server). The Warfronts are very well designed, but Ilum (World Objective PvP Area) is not and needs a total redesign (which it is getting tomorrow)
    Questing really is fun, but don't skip the dialogue. Get into the story. If you don't find your class quest interesting, switch characters. Leveling is easy and relatively painless. The actual quest types are the same as in most every MMO before it, but the fact that most areas you travel to have special "bonus" kill quests which you can do if you want to is nice (or skip them like I did sometimes). The instances are well done and enjoyable.
    Endgame is sparse right now as far as PvE goes, with very little raiding. That isn't an issue for me as I'm still enjoying leveling etc.
    To cut to the chase:
    Innovative(Not necessarily unique though): Crafting, Companions, Space Combat Minigame, Questing System
    Good: Warfront design, class design, general combat.
    Average: Most everything else other than...
    Bad: UI
  81. Jan 18, 2012
    This is one of the best polished MMO's, especially at launch, available. At first I was a little skeptical about the 'theme park' type setup of the game, but there is enough depth (especially as you level) that it is well worth it. If you have any interest in the Star Wars world, or just in a polished and well put together MMO, this should be your next purchase.
  82. Jan 18, 2012
    Disclaimer: this is less of a review then a "so, yeah, I'm a random person and I'd like to average out teh score.." Well, so it's out and plenty of people are fairly hot and bothered like a brood of teenagers...one thing, however, that I don't get is that people actually believed it was going to be ground-breaking. The "WoW" mechanics are here to stay for a very long time despite all yourDisclaimer: this is less of a review then a "so, yeah, I'm a random person and I'd like to average out teh score.." Well, so it's out and plenty of people are fairly hot and bothered like a brood of teenagers...one thing, however, that I don't get is that people actually believed it was going to be ground-breaking. The "WoW" mechanics are here to stay for a very long time despite all your precious hype about MMOs. I ignored the game until two days before it was released, and it was finally shoved into my head that OMG IT HAZ STORYTELLIN. And since then, I've played it solely in interest of what'll happen next...however, to tell the truth, I'd dump the game in a second without the cut scenes and the choices. Actually, I wouldn't have even gotten it in the first place...honestly, it's just a dull game without all the make-up. Probably a poorer one then most popular MMOs--graphics, though selectively pleasant (for whatever reason, they removed the freakin' high resolution textures), can easily be beaten by a four or so year old MMO...gameplay itself is just about a meh. Crafting, however, is promising--if only the in game economy wasn't in some sort of recession. >_>

So on, so forth--you've heard it before. SW:TOR is a MMO that's dismal at its core--it taps into a potentially awesome aspect of story-telling that nevertheless is superficial and leaves you with that hollow sort of feeling of dissatisfaction...the majority of interesting characters (Praven, damn you!) you meet are most likely shipped off to the dumps after helping them (whilst writing you a letter), and then there's ideas that are introduced but never elaborated upon (remember the true Republic?)....beyond that, you'd think that morality would be a theme more explored, but as it is a "accessible" mass-market sell out, profoundness is massively disencouraged. With the instancing festering severely in this game (even if you could blow up a world only two or so NPCs would care), the game suffers immensely from that sense of isolation and brokenness...nothing seems to matter ten minutes after the point--not even a cute note from the person you helped can remedy it.

So, yes, the story-telling aspect basely sucks. Yet, you may ask why the hell I gave it a 10. To hopelessly try to balance out the user score, yes, but SW:TOR gives such a honest effort to make a story-driven MMO that I just can't bring myself to treat it cruelly. I'll be dumping it when I reach level 50, though I honestly will say that I genuinely enjoyed it.
  83. Jan 20, 2012
    The game has a very awesome story system, great voice acting, attractive visuals (further enhanced if you force extra effects from your video card). They haven't released high res textures yet in-game but they have stated that is coming soon. Probably the smoothest MMO launch I have ever seen (playing these sorts of games since launch day eq1). I have a 50 shadow and several alts aroundThe game has a very awesome story system, great voice acting, attractive visuals (further enhanced if you force extra effects from your video card). They haven't released high res textures yet in-game but they have stated that is coming soon. Probably the smoothest MMO launch I have ever seen (playing these sorts of games since launch day eq1). I have a 50 shadow and several alts around lvl 30 and have cleared all the operations on normal and hard mode. The game has some flaws and bugs but the developers have been good about communicating that they are aware and working on these things. Expand
  84. Jan 21, 2012
    some dont like this game because their perception of what makes a game is not present. truth is, this is a great game, having a blast with RL friends and new friends in the game. some 'features' those downgrading were desiring are personal thoughts and very few of those i know RL have desired those features and have none of the issues others are expressing.
    haters gonna hate.
  85. Jan 22, 2012
    Every MMO borrows from it's predecessors, including WOW. What needs to be looked at is what makes it different. The fact the SWTOR has a specific storyline for each class, and that the game is completely fully voiced with dialog options makes SWTOR a good cross between the traditional MMO and other bioware games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Bioware has raised the MMO standard forEvery MMO borrows from it's predecessors, including WOW. What needs to be looked at is what makes it different. The fact the SWTOR has a specific storyline for each class, and that the game is completely fully voiced with dialog options makes SWTOR a good cross between the traditional MMO and other bioware games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Bioware has raised the MMO standard for excellence and has made the foundation for a game that after a few years will contain the same content and potentially exceed the quality of WOW. Expand
  86. Jan 30, 2012
    really amazing! everyone should try it! combat is different and epic! same goes for questing

i was totally blown away by this game and i am sure a lot of others will experience the same!
  87. Jan 24, 2012
    Do not be fooled by the user score with this game. Its mostly the result of many fans being fooled by the huge hype surrounding this game up to its release. This is a great game if the player is not comparing it to their idea of what the game should be like, an idea that was doomed to be disappointed from the beginning. Again, go by the critics' reviews for this one; the game does notDo not be fooled by the user score with this game. Its mostly the result of many fans being fooled by the huge hype surrounding this game up to its release. This is a great game if the player is not comparing it to their idea of what the game should be like, an idea that was doomed to be disappointed from the beginning. Again, go by the critics' reviews for this one; the game does not deserve a 59 and many of the reviewers here are overly critical. With that said, i do not believe this game is truly a ten, at least not yet. There are a few problems in the game that are addressed in the other reviews of this game, but I am giving it a ten nonetheless in an attempt to balance out the average. All in all, if you are a lover of Bioware's previous fare or of MMORPGs in general I highly recommend this game, you will not be disappointed. Expand
  88. Jan 28, 2012
    There's one thing that this game offers that very few other mmo's do, an actual role playing experience. Most other mmo's have absolutly no dialogue choice's, and very little in the way of voiced dialogue and cut scenes, making them little more than glorified 3rd person action games.

Swtor however has cutsence and fully voiced choices for each and every quest, which are not only funny/interesting/entertaining but effect your alignment and relationship with your companions. If you want to play an mmorpg and not just another souless battle focused mmo, this is the game for you.
  89. Jan 29, 2012
    This game appeals to two groups: Star Wars fans and MMO gamers. They will all have a blast with this game. As a Star Wars fan, I love the environments that feel alive and allows me to immerse myself in the Star Wars universe and it's lore and adventures. Others have mentioned a lot of other strong points about the game, but a possibly under-mentioned one is the DEVELOPER. BioWare isThis game appeals to two groups: Star Wars fans and MMO gamers. They will all have a blast with this game. As a Star Wars fan, I love the environments that feel alive and allows me to immerse myself in the Star Wars universe and it's lore and adventures. Others have mentioned a lot of other strong points about the game, but a possibly under-mentioned one is the DEVELOPER. BioWare is constantly fixing bugs and issues at blazing speed and providing new content within the first month after launch. UI customization is coming in March along with massive new content and fixes, but I'd say the constant weekly+ ticks of improvement is the best of what BioWare does. They have created a trust-based relationship with their player base (apart from the less mature part of the gamers, who are still whining on the forums, but they will come around to trust papa BioWare too ;)) Expand
  90. Jan 30, 2012
    I'm pleased with this MMO. I like the stories, the VO and the general gameplay. There have been few games and almost no other MMO that I have enjoyed more than this one.
  91. Jan 30, 2012
    This game reminds me of Vanilla W.o.W. It's a amazing game. It's hard to understand you so many people dislike this game. It's better then any MMO I've ever played so far I've sold my W.O.W. Account and have converted at least 23 people to this game and they all say it's amazing. The feel of the game seems as a single player when you play some of the mechanics are glitchy yes but that'sThis game reminds me of Vanilla W.o.W. It's a amazing game. It's hard to understand you so many people dislike this game. It's better then any MMO I've ever played so far I've sold my W.O.W. Account and have converted at least 23 people to this game and they all say it's amazing. The feel of the game seems as a single player when you play some of the mechanics are glitchy yes but that's because it's new. W.o.W. Had plenty of glitches when it started. I say those that dislike it are not patience enough to wait for all the problems to be fixed. The feel of the game can feel quite like a single player at most time with the Quest talk and the way you do the quest depends on who you are it is not lame like WoW where you get a quest and just do it. You get the quest and you can 90% of the time choose how you do it. Now another factor is that WoW has now and has ever been tainted with idiotic children, along with a very screwed up economy. If you would like a mature, helpful, and very welly priced game This game is worth your money and despite these other reviews please give this game a shot. Expand
  92. Jan 31, 2012
    I like this game, best mmo I've ever played. I like the community so far, haven't run into any jerks like I did so often in WoW. Stories are interesting, and game play feels good. It needs a bit of work which is why it's not getting a 10 but to be fair every mmo always need work.
  93. Jan 31, 2012
    I have always been a fan of star wars and have made it a point to try (almost) every star wars game that's come out. Some are great, like KOTOR some much less so. While I was worried that this wouldn't work as an MMO, just look what happened to SWG even before they were forced to shut it down (shame really since a lot of people actually loved that game), I was preasently surprised by TOR.I have always been a fan of star wars and have made it a point to try (almost) every star wars game that's come out. Some are great, like KOTOR some much less so. While I was worried that this wouldn't work as an MMO, just look what happened to SWG even before they were forced to shut it down (shame really since a lot of people actually loved that game), I was preasently surprised by TOR. Good points:
    Story is a major part of this game and it gets hold of you right from the word go, I actually care about my character a lot more than I usually do while playing and mmo. The feeling I get is very similar to the one I get when I play other bioware games. I feel immersed and invested in my character and his/her fate.

Companions in this game go far beyond pets, both in terms of their usefullness and the entertainment they provide. As long as you keep them properly geared they are quite handy in fights and their personalities make me chuckle.

Crafting in this game is more easy going than in some other mmo's I've played. The hunt for resources which with to craft is not as borring and time consuming here and it doesnt' take an insane amount of time to get your crafting up to a level where it surpasses the gear you get from quest rewards. If you have a group of friends with different crafting skills or if you're an alta-holic like me you can easily provide your character(s) with gear that far surpasses the quest reward items.

Graphics: this is a sensetive point for people I've noticed, it's seems you can either love it or hate it. I'm putting this in the good points section since I myself love it but if any of you feel different then that's fine. Again, personally I love the graphics, the style that bioware has chosen to run with. The sceneries on the different planets are great. You have the wide sweeping sand dunes of Tatooine, the overgrown ruins of Taris, the mountain ranges of Alderaan etc etc all are just beautiful.

Things that are standard:
    Combat is pretty standard I think, noting really revolutionsingly new but not bad either. You shot/slash your way trhough mobs, proving once again that they were fools to get in your way. Fun, but nothing really head turning.

Space combat can be entertaining from time to time in a way but it's just a small mini game. The graphics of it are great though, there is a real sense of depth in the star specled blackness of space. bottom line is that it may not be for everyone but I find it fun to do from time to time.

Mounts; well, nothing new here really, sure you ride a speeder instead of a horse or whatever but it's still only a way to get from A to B faster.

Bad points:
    Character appearance customisation (I'm not talking about character creation, even though that could use a little work too but is still far better than some other games) needs work. Right now there isn't all that much you can do to affect the way your character looks ingame. What you wear is what you get rules, something I've never liked since you too often end up looking stupid (although that doesn't happen that much in this game, at no point have I looked at my character in TOR and thought "oh goodie, a rainbow-power ranger-carebear-paladin, just what I always wanted") I know some people hate the word but I want to see an A-tab or the like in this game, the moddable gear system they have right now, while very cool, isn't enough in this respect.

Grouping is a bit of a pain, I've played City of Heroes so I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to this. There you could use the sidekick/exemplar system which enabled you to team with higher/lower leveled players and do their missions near/at their level (sidekick would bring your level up to one below that of your mentor, exemplar would lower your level to that of the player you were bound to) the system worked great and made teaming viable over great level differences. In TOR you can't be that many levels apart before the quests become pointless.

That's it then

There you have it, my take on this game. All in all I love it, it needs work and it has bugs but show me the mmo that doesn't. Personally I've only experienced a few minor bugs and no one I know, irl or ingame has had any of the major bugs that some people on forums keep claiming make the game unplayable. I'm not calling them liars, I just think its a bit suspect.
  94. Jan 31, 2012
    I'm loving this game! I see some people aren't and that's fine, sorry you didn't like the game. I also see some people just making stuff up and just trying to hate on the game "worst game ever"? Give me a break, if you actually mean that then you probably haven't played much games or any at all even. People like that aare just sad. I give it 10 because I love it but I'm not saying it'sI'm loving this game! I see some people aren't and that's fine, sorry you didn't like the game. I also see some people just making stuff up and just trying to hate on the game "worst game ever"? Give me a break, if you actually mean that then you probably haven't played much games or any at all even. People like that aare just sad. I give it 10 because I love it but I'm not saying it's perfect or that everyone should fall down and love it on their knees. Some people like it some don't that's fine. As long as your reasons are good. I like the game play, I like the community, I like the look of the game and I freaking love the story. People who say it's full of gamebreakin bugs are full of it. Expand
  95. Feb 4, 2012
    This is a huge step foward in the MMO universe. Granted it kind of leaves out the group idea for the main quests but it makes up for it in its long flashpoints. As many ppl have stated; the pvp is unbalenced, that has been fixed now a lvl 10 can kill a lvl 40 as their stats are equal. Some planets are laggy simply because of horrible glitches but Bioware are trying to fix it and keep inThis is a huge step foward in the MMO universe. Granted it kind of leaves out the group idea for the main quests but it makes up for it in its long flashpoints. As many ppl have stated; the pvp is unbalenced, that has been fixed now a lvl 10 can kill a lvl 40 as their stats are equal. Some planets are laggy simply because of horrible glitches but Bioware are trying to fix it and keep in mind ppl an MMO can improve on every lvl if u give it the chance Expand
  96. Feb 6, 2012
    SWTOR is overall a great game. Of course, if you are expecting it to be jam packed with features upon release (say coming from WoW) you will be disappointed. It is a story driven, well crafted MMO that allows players to interact completely in the Star Wars Universe. The graphics are equally stunning as well. I think where the game falls a tad short is in meeting the expectations of seasonsSWTOR is overall a great game. Of course, if you are expecting it to be jam packed with features upon release (say coming from WoW) you will be disappointed. It is a story driven, well crafted MMO that allows players to interact completely in the Star Wars Universe. The graphics are equally stunning as well. I think where the game falls a tad short is in meeting the expectations of seasons MMO players who are looking for features such as a modifiable UI, server transfer, guild halls, etc right out of the box. So it will feel like it is missing something from that perspective. Yet, people forget that it took years and years to develop those features even in WoW because they are expensive to create. So first comes the subscriptions, then comes the added features. That's just the way it works and to expect otherwise is not realistic. Expand
  97. Feb 6, 2012
    SWTOR puts the RPG back in MMORPG. To start, this MMO has had such a smooth start up compared to others out there who have tried and failed and are now F2P (Free to Play). I will compare it to WoW for a second, because I know everyone is, in saying that the sense of community is not as strong as in WoW. However, unlike WoW, you don't ever really feel like you're "grinding" for levelsSWTOR puts the RPG back in MMORPG. To start, this MMO has had such a smooth start up compared to others out there who have tried and failed and are now F2P (Free to Play). I will compare it to WoW for a second, because I know everyone is, in saying that the sense of community is not as strong as in WoW. However, unlike WoW, you don't ever really feel like you're "grinding" for levels because the story has players so immersed. I think the level of immersion is actually part of the cause for why there isn't such a strong community feeling. This isn't to say that people don't communicate or help each other out, it's more in the "feeling" of community. Everyone is pretty friendly, but you do get the occasional troll. PvP needs to be fixed; the only division between levels for warzones is that level 50s can't queue with those level 49 and below...but a level 10 is still going to have to face level 49s. That's a problem. Companions are an awesome addition which make going out to complete missions a little easier. Deciding which companion to summon can really change the strategy involved when soloing a rare spawn elite you come across. You can "court" your companion, as long as they're a courtable apecies and you're the opposite sex. That adds just a little more to the RPG feel. If you really like immersing stories which are guided by your decisions sort of like Skyrim, but are on the MMO scale, then this game is for you. Plus, if you decide to become dark side, you can really be a pr*ck to everyone you meet. Light and dark sides aren't restricted to faction; you can be a dark side Jedi and a light side Sith if you want. Expand
  98. Feb 7, 2012
    This is one of the best games I've played in a long time. I am thoroughly enjoying the story for all most all the classes. Bioware has really brought story to the mmo experience and I personally won't play another mmo again where I have to read quest dialog off of the screen. I have never felt more connected to my characters like this before. Yeah, it has a few bugs, but they are inThis is one of the best games I've played in a long time. I am thoroughly enjoying the story for all most all the classes. Bioware has really brought story to the mmo experience and I personally won't play another mmo again where I have to read quest dialog off of the screen. I have never felt more connected to my characters like this before. Yeah, it has a few bugs, but they are in no way game breaking and the developers are addressing issues in a timely manner, IMO

And I have engaged in more group content in this game then any other mmo I've played. Now I am doing very similar group content like in most mmos but I'm also experiencing it during the level process, Bravo Bioware, Bravo!
  99. Feb 8, 2012
    Longtime MMO player, and SWTOR is the most fun I've had. Some issues with a lack of content at end game, but a reasonable player will understand this is something that will come with time. Great game.
  100. Feb 8, 2012
    Needs work, but the foundation is there to grow and expand on with time. Space combat, pvp, Quests, Datacron hunting, and companions give you playtime if you tire of one.

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.