5.9

1. Jun 30, 2015
    If you are looking for a story based PVE game this is a good one. Each of the 8 base classes (4 Republic and 4 Empire) have their own story. The 8 story’s alone make it a worthwhile game to play. Fully voice acted make it a blast for anyone looking for an immersive game.

Do not play PVP in this game. Your skill has no effect on PVP, only the flavor-of-the-month class has any effect on PVP. PVP is an exercise in futility, with the team with the most fotm classes winning. Bioware has no concept of class balance, and over nerf and over buff constantly. They use their own metrics instead of listening to their player base or even playing their own game.

PVE Score 7
    PVP Score 0

Final Score: 3
  2. Jun 30, 2015
    This game has many rights, and many wrongs. The main issue is that it is not a typical MMO, where players focus on a single class and enjoy a single story. This is a game designed to encourage players to finish all 8 of the campaign stories. Unfortunately this was an over reach for bioware, resulting in some misguided decisions. The most interested parts of the lore are not exploredThis game has many rights, and many wrongs. The main issue is that it is not a typical MMO, where players focus on a single class and enjoy a single story. This is a game designed to encourage players to finish all 8 of the campaign stories. Unfortunately this was an over reach for bioware, resulting in some misguided decisions. The most interested parts of the lore are not explored enough, while the most basic parts are over explored.

Too many side quests, not enough end game content. PVP is sorely abandoned.

That being said it is by far one of the best MMO's you will find out there. It is far more interesting than WOW, and much more re-playable than ESO. The unique classes will keep you entertained as you learn how to play them all. It has by far the most original costumes than any MMO you will find. You will be able to make not one, but 8 distinct characters that are unique to you. This is a prime game for role players.

That being said, be warned of the community. Star Wars is a wide spread IP, and it draws both the experienced players and the newest of noobs. Expect drama in practically every community you meet, and expect role players to take themselves far too seriously. This is "Star Wars" and the ultimate nerd ego bolster, so the role players tend to be overly brutal in their treatment of other people and there is a lot of guild politics and bullying. There are the "loremaster" types who like to use their "expansive" knowledge of lore to justify god modding and metagaming. Don't fall for it. Walk away if someone makes you feel bad There are great role players in the game, you just have to find them. And if you do it will be one of the best role playing experiences you can have in any MMO.

If you love star wars you will love this game even with it's flaws. I have been a subbed player for almost 3 years now. I have leveled 10 characters, and have 12 more. I think it's possible this game could become the best MMO out there if bioware does their expansions right. We'll see.
  3. Jun 8, 2015
    I played SWTOR the first day it released and kept playing for about a year after launch. The reason I stopped, it got boring quickly, lag issues and so many severs that they felt empty. The story is excellent, gameplay is ok, graphics are fine. It's been a few weeks now, and I resubbed, the game is way different since launch, game mechanics have changed, servers have merged some bugs andI played SWTOR the first day it released and kept playing for about a year after launch. The reason I stopped, it got boring quickly, lag issues and so many severs that they felt empty. The story is excellent, gameplay is ok, graphics are fine. It's been a few weeks now, and I resubbed, the game is way different since launch, game mechanics have changed, servers have merged some bugs and lag issues seem to be resolved. I find that this game has way to much negative reviews, and I should say more like bashing and hate towards EA. For those who left in the beginnning I would tell you that going back is worth it, espacialy if you been planning to, I tried the F2P option first and it's way to limited espacialy if you were a playing sub before. So to all STAR WARS fans out there thinking about playing this game it is worth it, great story, good gameplay, ok graphics, good community ! I do recommend that you check on the forums or sites to see which servers are the most populated before creating a character ! Have fun ! Expand
  4. May 29, 2015
    To me Star Wars: The Old Republic is one of the best Free 2 Play MMORPG´S out there. It has nice graphics, an amazing story and very solid combat and skill systems.
    Only negative aspects to me are boring and sometimes repetitive quests and the advantages a subscriber has in comparison to a free player are too vast, for Instance a "premium" player can have three different crew skills at the same time, while free players can only have one and that´s just stupid from my point of view !
  5. Apr 23, 2015
    The F2P model is a definitely on the restrictive side, but there is a lot to love about this game for subscribers.

If you are a fan of story in your video games, this is the single best MMORPG for you in particular. It weaves a strong narrative and compelling characters throughout the leveling experience and into many of the end-game areas and group encounters. Most of the negative

Most of the negative reviews here come from the state it released in - which had two glaring problems: [1] Not a lot of end-game content (the developers came out and admitted they thought it would take most players months to get to max-level, which they believed would give them time to release most of the end-game content in the first few patches without any harm done... it was almost cute in its naivete), and [2] lack of a group finder and some other 'basic' MMO features. (Some of the negative reviews also came from Star Wars Galaxies fans who are bitter over their Sandbox MMO closing down as this Themepark Star Wars MMO came out.)

Both of these problems have been rectified. There are multiple raids (called Operations in SWTOR), all of which have fun and engaging encounters, and most of the standard MMO features have been added - the biggest feature still missing is an in-game Guild Calendar. (I also wouldn't complain if they implemented Cross-Server queuing.)

The underlying gameplay design doesn't stray too far from WoW's basic formula, which will make the game particularly accessible to current or former fans of Blizzard's mega-hit. The biggest deviation is the presence of 'companions' - which basically function like combat pets. While you play through the leveling content, every class gets five unique companions specific to the story and gameplay of that class, plus one companion that is shared by all characters (a 'ship droid' which has a different name and appearance depending on which faction you play, but is functionally the same). Currently there are also two more shared companions that were added in Updates over the years, which can be unlocked on any character (one can be purchased, the other acquired by a unique quest chain). All these companions have their own personalities and back-stories, and add a wonderful amount of personality to the game.

New 'Content Updates' are released around every nine weeks, which add new Daily Areas (which usually continue the game's story the first time you play through them, before the quests become repeatable), small group PVE encounters (called 'Flashpoints' - equivalent to WoW's 'Dungeons'), instanced PVP maps (called 'Warzones'), reoccurring Events (some seasonal, like the X-mas themed 'Life Day', some that occur sporadically, and one that returns every month) or large group PVE instances (Operations, as mentioned above).

To date, there have also been two 'free expansions'. Galactic Starfighter, which added a PVP space dog-fighting minigame that is a lot of fun once you get over the initial hump of learning it (they admittedly need a better tutorial, but if you stick with it through the first couple frustrating attempts as you learn the ins and outs, then you will probably find it a rewarding, fun aspect of the game), and Galactic Strongholds, which added Player Housing and Guild Flagships to the game.

The game is not without its flaws. While new content comes out every two months or so, the pacing for individual types of content has sometimes left long gaps in between new Operations or Warzones,which can be frustrating to Raiders or PVPers (a current long gap between new Warzones shows that the developers still haven't quite gotten a handle on this issue). Most new Content Updates come with a few notable bugs which have to be worked out over the course of a few maintenance patches in the weeks that follow their release. And as mentioned above, the Free-to-Play model is pretty restrictive - there is no doubt the game is best enjoyed as a subscriber. But the good far outweighs the bad.

Despite the restrictiveness of the F2P mode, the Cash Shop has a lot to praise: the content is almost exclusively cosmetic or convenience items, so you won't be hobbled if you choose not to spend any money on the Shop. Almost all of the items from the Cash Shop can be traded or sold on the in-game auction house - allowing you to get most of them for credits (just expect the rarest items to fetch a hefty price if you go that route). And subscribers get around 500 free 'Cartel Coins' (the Cash Shop currency) each month, with an additional 100 Coins a month if you use the free Security Key app to secure your account (getting friends to subscribe through the Refer-A-Friend program and even completing some in-game achievements can also net you additional Coins without having to pay real money).

SWTOR is a Themepark game through and through, so Sandbox fans may not care for it, but if you enjoy solid storytelling, a great leveling experience, fun mini-games, and the Star Wars universe - this is a fantastic game!
  6. Apr 11, 2015
    Its 10, ignore everything else. You literally have nothing to lose by trying this game... all the pay for stuff you can get on the ah, even the packs... a lot of these reviews are from years ago and are at this point totally invalid. If you have been looking for a good game this is it. Its unbelievably good... maybe the most underrated game out there.
  7. Apr 11, 2015
    This is the best game ever!

No joke, the best game ever made! The story is epic! I mean 9 stories are epic!... There is way too much to do in this game! Its out of this world how good of a deal this is!
  8. Apr 10, 2015
    This may be one of the best games I have ever played

This may be one of the best games I have ever played

This is my first review, but I feel for the first time in a while, that I want to express how amazing this game is. I have played almost every mmo, I have owned almost every system, and lately I have been feeling really unsatisfied with the value of games. I just bought evolve on the ps4 and that was sort of my last straw. I used to play wow and for a few years and I felt like I got a good value out of that game, which is the bar I compare other mmos too. So let me say that this game is on an entirely different level than wow, it is so much better and more complete. This may be one of the best games I have ever played. If this game was launched as a single player game, I would have bought it. The fact that it is also an mmo, just amplifies the awesomeness. For $15 a month, entertainment does not get much cheaper. Give this game a shot, it has a f2p option and its just too good to miss out on. This game is nothing like your standard mmos, the depth is out of this world. The amount of content available is incredible. You can get lost in almost any aspect of this game: decorating your stronghold, space fighter, pvp, pve, the story, crafting, or just exploring this cool world.

For the many of us out there that have been looking for a game that is not just great, but actually worth the price of admission. Look no further, this is it.
  9. Mar 17, 2015
    I quit this game because of the Cartel market. It killed crafting and basically made the game pay to win. Yea it puts more money in the coffers of EA and Bioware, but at what costs. It waters down the came removing the essential elements of crafting from the MMO. Basically the Cartel Market IS the defacto crafters. They provide everything from Armor, Weapons, Mounts, Color Crystals, Pets,I quit this game because of the Cartel market. It killed crafting and basically made the game pay to win. Yea it puts more money in the coffers of EA and Bioware, but at what costs. It waters down the came removing the essential elements of crafting from the MMO. Basically the Cartel Market IS the defacto crafters. They provide everything from Armor, Weapons, Mounts, Color Crystals, Pets, Furnishings, and Ships. There's nothing left for crafters to craft except a few meaningless trinkets and Augments and MK kits. If you are a MMO fan I suggest you look elsewhere. The only thing this game has going for it is the Star Wars name. Expand
  10. Mar 1, 2015
    While undoubtedly fun and well put together, the ill mannered community and lack of moderators drove me away in the end. This game is a roach motel of Star Wars excitement for every potty mouthed gamer who can afford it. It also chases after the casual gamer market too heavily by fully exploiting capitalist agendas with the Cartel Market and pay to play options (mo' money mo' money moWhile undoubtedly fun and well put together, the ill mannered community and lack of moderators drove me away in the end. This game is a roach motel of Star Wars excitement for every potty mouthed gamer who can afford it. It also chases after the casual gamer market too heavily by fully exploiting capitalist agendas with the Cartel Market and pay to play options (mo' money mo' money mo money!!!) Character progression as a result seemed cheap and too fast, sacrificing memorable game play moments for a quick release of endorphins. Even though a lot has changed since release I felt that the character customization system was too restrictive for an mmo. I don't hate the game and I won't say it sucks, but I stopped playing due to poor chat moderation, players that seemed immature or anti-social, a gameplay experience that felt fast and cheap, and corporate greed? maybe? I want to play and like this game but each time I come back to it one of the aforementioned reasons causes me to quit in a flash of fiery rage. Expand
  11. Feb 26, 2015
    Do not pay to play this game. Their customer service is horrible and unresponsive. I took a break from the game for a few months and when i returned I couldn't access my account. I called customer service and kept getting people from some kind of outsourcing... I could tell by the way they talked and by the fact that they couldn't even give me information on what was the issue. The firstDo not pay to play this game. Their customer service is horrible and unresponsive. I took a break from the game for a few months and when i returned I couldn't access my account. I called customer service and kept getting people from some kind of outsourcing... I could tell by the way they talked and by the fact that they couldn't even give me information on what was the issue. The first person I talked to even gave me the wrong email address to email about my issue. But after hanging up and recalling 4 times I got someone from the UK and they were at least able to tell me what was the problem and even opened a ticket so "my issue could get resolved sooner." I found out that my account had been banned for gold spamming, apparently someone had compromised my account and used it while I was taking a break. So I've sent them a few emails to 2 different email addresses asking for my account to be unbanned and I have yet to even receive an automated response. I was a regular subscriber for two years straight, and I was there when the game was first released, yet I cant even get a response from their customer care? Take my advice, find a different mmo... there are several out there where their customer service at least cares about their customers. I've had to deal with several MMO's customer services and only ToR has been this bad by far. Blizzard is excellent. The same thing happened to me there, my account got hacked then banned.... it took blizzard 2 days to get my email(they sent an automated reply when i first emailed them) and to unban my account. Not only that, the GM I spoke to actually gave me free game time to apologize for the inconvenience. Now THAT is customer service. DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME. Anyone who cares so little for their customers does not deserve to be paid by them. I hope this game is shut down like City of Heroes was. Expand
  12. Feb 22, 2015
    The selling point of the game is the story, brilliantly written and executed... except for certain parts in which I utterly despise. In a Bioware game, you expect there to be same gender romances, but they were largely absent, except for extremely small additions in later expansions. As part of the LGBT community, I am appalled that Bioware had missed something SO IMPORTANT.

That is the

That is the reason for such a low score.
  13. Jan 25, 2015
    they try to nickel and dime you to death want bigger bags buy coins want extra action bar buy coins. and the pvp stinks they put lvl 30-59 in the same war zone and all the lower people get raped by the higher lvls so very uneven playing field! gets old very fast! lag is bad! unless you are a huge fan of star wars find another game!
  14. Ogr
    Jan 21, 2015
    There are a lot of people who dislike this game because of issues with their PC etc.

I have to admit that swtor is quite bad programmed... it has high requirements for it's casual graphics. Besides that it has a lot of great things to offer now, the best story ever in a mmorpg, playing in a group is well supported even during the leveling phase (that should be normal, but look at

Besides that it has a lot of great things to offer now, the best story ever in a mmorpg, playing in a group is well supported even during the leveling phase (that should be normal, but look at teso, wow etc.). Some of the classes belong to the most fun classes of all mmorpg, pvp games are fun, there is a "tie fighter game in swtor" etc.

I have played most of the popular mmorpg (I started with Ultima Online, DAoC, WoW, AC, AC2, EQ1, EQ2, GW2, Rift, Tera, etc. etc.) and swtor definitely belongs to the best of these. You should of course like RPG's with a story and not just simple grind games.
  15. Jan 13, 2015
    TLDR: "I couldn't be the character I wanted to be....and this is a MMORPG!"

TLDR: "I couldn't be the character I wanted to be....and this is a MMORPG!"

Having loved SWTOR, this game excited me initially. After about a day of play, the gameplay for which was quite fun, all I wanted to do was tweak my characters appearance. Change hairstyle for example. When I eventually found out that the only way to do so is to spend real-life money, all my enthusiasm for this game disappeared. Yes it might be a minor reason, but to me it broke all immersion and attachment to the game. I couldn't be the character I wanted to be....and this is a MMORPG!

I severely dislike the FTP model used in SWTOR, with free players having ridiculous restrictions.

I have played other FTP games such as DCUO, which were a lot of fun, and ultimately let you play how you wanted. Paying for things was optional if you wanted the extra stuff. In SWTOR however, I feel like they only give you access to half the game.

Very, very disappointed. Bioware/EA, whoever is responsible, needs to sort stuff out.

I should know better with an EA game.
  16. Dec 30, 2014
    I will likely advoctate this game, over wow... However the latest expansion has caused too many issues. They changed the way a lot of things worked, all classes got revamped... However... Some of the spec abilities are automatically given to you while others are not... An example is my operative's kolto probe... It was not provided to me, automatically, upon selecting the role... But myI will likely advoctate this game, over wow... However the latest expansion has caused too many issues. They changed the way a lot of things worked, all classes got revamped... However... Some of the spec abilities are automatically given to you while others are not... An example is my operative's kolto probe... It was not provided to me, automatically, upon selecting the role... But my recuprative nanotech, which is operative, was provided automatically. Its inconsistent on many classes. On top of that, there are some ui issues that should have never been changed. They separated the buff and debuff ui sections and made it so the debuff ui will scale automatically (with no way to turn it off), as a result it overlaps my characters health bar and bottom quick bars... Not sure why they made this design choice but I had to move it off towards the side of the screen... Now I have to check my debuffs like im checking the mirror of a car to take a left turn while there is tons of DEATH in front of me. Just some really bad choices by the developers... Many good things, like flagships/strongholds, good story, extra levels/flashpoints/etc, great graphics and fun leveling... But there are issues like this, which prevents me from giving it anything above a 6... If the developers were to think before they do something, it would be rated a lot higher! Expand
  17. Dec 3, 2014
    Played this to level 55 with a Bounty Hunter and Sith Warrior, 47 with Sith Inquisitor, 29 with Smuggler and all the other classes to about 20-something. As most people will find, your first play through with your character will be where the best bits are. Most fans of the franchise will find something to love in one or more of the stories and it's a lot of fun in places.

Problem is,

Problem is, this is an MMO. Every single element besides the story is a chore. Grind, farm, repeat. The community really lets itself down too. You'll enjoy the game a lot more if you can convince a few friends to get on it with you, otherwise don't bother with any 'social' activities.

End game is just that, the end. Raiding will be fun the first few times but after that it's time for another class. Even then, you'll be doing the same old stuff bar the few extra hours of your story.

This game could have been great and given the money they spent it SHOULD have been great. But it fails and only hangers-on populate the servers, save for new players trying it out and even they don't bother beyond level 25.

As EA are making the next big Star Wars game, it could be a long time in a galaxy far far away before fans get a title that does Star Wars justice.
  18. Nov 18, 2014
    No way a 10/10 but definitely the best MMO on the market, especially if you are a Star Wars fan.

Good - The only MMO with true role playing, each class being fully voice acted. Like all MMO's should be, grouping and pvp are not essential to progress, but its there if you want it. Servers run well in my expperience, very rarely kicked or laggy. It 'feels' like Star Wars having similar atmospheres to KOTOR etc, helped by most planets being well designed and unique from eachother. It is not an elitist docuhe bag fest like WoW.

Bad - Role play is still not as strong as a single player, offline game, as with all MMO's. Graphics aren't great.

Verdict - if you love Star Wars and particularly the KOTOR games, you will love this. The best MMO out there by a long way.
  19. Oct 24, 2014
    Hilariously broken, buggy, and seemed to seek only on trying to pillage some money from people burned out of WoW through a starwars mask. Quality varies extremely between class stories, voice acting is just bad, and when I hit max alot of encounteres were bugged beyond belief. The worst raid looting system I've ever seen, too. Haven't played it in a long time, might be better. Probably isn't.
  20. Oct 23, 2014
    Huge Star Wars fan. HUGE. This game could have been great, majestic even, but for some or other reason Bioware just didn't bring it home this time. It's a damn shame actually.
  21. Oct 9, 2014
    Best, I love it, Star Wars forever with lot of people.
    I don't agree with the haters. This is a very good game with epic and beautiful story.
  22. Oct 8, 2014
    This is how you ruin the legacy of two masterpiece classic games (KoTOR and KoTOR 2). Piss-poor, forced appearances of KoTOR characters to lure more fans into paying for this crap. KoTOR 2 was almost totally ignored (Bioware must be jealous because Obsidian can write much more deeper and much more clever stories than they themselves). It's a shame this game came out instead of aThis is how you ruin the legacy of two masterpiece classic games (KoTOR and KoTOR 2). Piss-poor, forced appearances of KoTOR characters to lure more fans into paying for this crap. KoTOR 2 was almost totally ignored (Bioware must be jealous because Obsidian can write much more deeper and much more clever stories than they themselves). It's a shame this game came out instead of a high-quality KoTOR 3, which would have united Exile's (I refuse to use that name given to him/her in that heresy called the Revan novel) and Revan's story.
    Also, the "free to play" marketing is a lie. If you want to play a highly inferior and annoying "pay now and you will be able to use this item" spam infested version of the game, then go and play the "free" version.
    I wish this game never came out...
  23. Oct 1, 2014
    This game has a rough start that is for sure but they have fixed most of those issues and added so many cool new things since its release it is like a totally different game since it launched. If you was around for the start of the game and hated it then I beg you to give it another try.
  24. Sep 27, 2014
    While SWTOR doesn’t bring much to the table in terms of quest mechanics,combat and even trading system , it is good at story telling and rpg factor.Zones are great pvp is great espicially some pvp mods are awesome.If you like star wars universe you probably already played the game if you not go and try it now!
  25. Sep 22, 2014
    I was highly disappointed in this game, it didnt feel at at all like Knights of the old republic 1 or 2 in terms of story or pacing. This might seem harsh but it felt like a WOW knock off. For me it got old and repetitive real fast. Would have VERY much preferred Knights of the old republic 3.
  26. Sep 22, 2014
    An excellent MMO-RPG experience with tons of things to see and do. Star Wars: The Old Republic is the best MMO-RPG I have ever played It has everything a good Star Wars game and MMO-RPG should have.
    Great level design, simple yet fun combat, a great story, nice colorful graphics, solid sound design, and excellent voice acting. Simply the best MMO-RPG out there don't listen to anyone who says this game is bad.
  27. Sep 18, 2014
    I think some ranting and raving about performance issues aside, this was a really fun ride. We had a group of 4, played to level cap, then didn't have much we were interested in doing, but it was free, and worth 30 hours of good times.
  28. Sep 16, 2014
    Play this game if you agitation in your life, for the most part your companions are only good to get them and you killed, because after almost 4 years your companion has a tendency to do a disappearing act which leaves you unable to heal them and there is no indication that this serious bug is going to be fixed, and forget about teaming up with only 35-40 players on a planet, you unlikelyPlay this game if you agitation in your life, for the most part your companions are only good to get them and you killed, because after almost 4 years your companion has a tendency to do a disappearing act which leaves you unable to heal them and there is no indication that this serious bug is going to be fixed, and forget about teaming up with only 35-40 players on a planet, you unlikely to get help which also means you are unlikely to be invited to join a guild. In short they seem to be adding content to a dying game instead of fixing the glitches and bugs to save it Expand
  29. Sep 3, 2014
    This destroyed any chance of there being a KOTOR 3 or KOTOR reboot for that matter. Damn you EA why did you make this an mmo? Please, singleplayer RPGS only.
  30. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is absolutely atrocius,the gameplay is repetitive,it gets too long to level up you have to kill thousands of roaming dudes to have a single level up after level 30,,that doesn't get any part done well,except in very few parts of class storylines,the npcs are too aggressive and spawn in the same place over and over,without even changing positions ,otherwise the missions are bland,boring and shallow 'kill x dudes' 'destroy x things' 'kill boss y' turn in,the game gets a annoying freemium that blocks everything,you have to pay the ingame currency (which has to be bought),or be a subscriber,for an additional inventory line,you have to pay,to have an extra cargo hold slot guess what?you have to pay,to have normal XP gain after level 10?you have to pay or buy the xp boosters,the medical probes?you have to pay,to equip rare items you gained legitemely in the game?you have to purchase an 'authorization'
    but the worst part is that this game ruined the kotor series to be able to be 'alive' ,for a MMO that went F2P after a year
    those who knew Kotor know what i'm talking about.
    Revan and The Exile from Kotor 2
    i was there for 6 months since day 1,and they didn't nothing,just gave you a worthless title that cannot be used if you are preferred or F2P
    you are heavily limited even if you're preferred(ex-subber).they just try to throw at you worthless junk to make you subscribe
    a friendly advise,don't subscribe to this game
    EA and bioware really f*cked it up this time
  31. Aug 3, 2014
    I've been trying to find a new MMO to play after deciding to leave Star Trek Online. I tried a few other F2Ps and have landed on SWTOR and am not looking back. I'm sorry I hadn't found this game sooner. I remember all the hype surrounding the game when it came out and all the negativity.
    I remember back then not wanting to try it because you could only play as a humanoid character and not a wookie, ewok, droid etc. and got turned off by all the stuff I was hearing.
    I still do wish that you could play as some of the iconic non-humanoids from the movies but the quality of the game and the fun I'm having cannot be stated enough. The story is top notch and voice over is so well done. The cut scenes are great and I look forward to the story as it unfolds.
    The game runs very smoothly on my old laptop which was also a pleasant suprise. After playing a few days and getting my character to level 10 I decided to sub for a month. People (leechers and FotM F2Pers) complain about the free to play restrictions but I actually think they're very fair considering the quality of the game and the story it provides. Better than any MMO I've played so far. I was happy to pay the $15.00 to help keep the game going.
  32. Jul 31, 2014
    What ruins this game is fight and action. The interface or background during fight is awful. Doesn't matter if you play pve or pvp. Besides that, the cinematic was very nice. Graphics is better when we zoom in. I liked the innovation and different style. A lot of idea. Different from others MMO and WoW. Some people will like this game.

Good things : story lines, cinematic, graphics

Good things : story lines, cinematic, graphics (zoom in), sound, no need for classic quests

less : game play, fight, action, movement, background, skills interface, too mush dialog

it is free to play now.

Game play : 4/10 , Graphics 6/10, Background 6/10, Lifetime 6/10, Sound 7/10
  33. Jul 29, 2014
    On one of many online game searches to satisfy my impulse craves of temporary adventure and enjoyment, I kept on stumbling upon Star Wars: The Old Republic on many of my "Top Free MMORPG's". At first I was hesitant because I've always played fantasy based mmorpgs and, although I enjoy the Star Wars franchise, the image of a Star Wars MMORPG didn't play well in my mind primarily based on myOn one of many online game searches to satisfy my impulse craves of temporary adventure and enjoyment, I kept on stumbling upon Star Wars: The Old Republic on many of my "Top Free MMORPG's". At first I was hesitant because I've always played fantasy based mmorpgs and, although I enjoy the Star Wars franchise, the image of a Star Wars MMORPG didn't play well in my mind primarily based on my past familiarity with other MMORPG's. I couldn't of been more wrong.
    Keeping in mind that I haven't played Knights of the old republic, both one and two, the story driven game type was rather new to me. As opposed to a lot of MMORPG's, in which the "story" is told through small, boring text which is often skipped for sake of gameplay, Star Wars: The Old Republic kept me involved and excited to pursue the story, which is astonishingly good for a "free" MMORPG. Not only is the story told to you through voices, which is awesome considering the fact that most "stories" in other MMORPG's tend to be skipped for either their quality or just plain apathy rooting from the player, the game keeps you involved by giving you a variety of answers, replies, decisions, and statements that can either make you looks like a complete bully, to a joking and friendly "sith". Occasionally, you will come across a decision that will, for example, give you the option to kill someone or let them live. Choosing the side of killing them will make you more "sith-like" and grant you "dark" points, letting them live will do the opposite and grant you "light" points. These points affect you in-game ranging from appearance changes to the loot available to you. Remember, I haven't played many story driven games so I just had to get all this excitement out.

Now, for everything else.

The combat is pretty generic with it's tab-right click to attack system and the graphics are nothing to write home about. Additionally, some may be turned off by the fact that free players get so much less than subscription and paying players. Some of benefits, aside from different race, mount, and cosmetic options, was that paying players got the ability to move faster during the long (yet enjoyable) tutorial, which is a really small thing, of course, but it annoyed me none the less.

Overall, I'd say if you're craving for a new mmorpg and a new experience then try this game out, definitely. Even if the combat system is nothing special, the immense voice acting and story telling is.
  34. Jul 25, 2014
    This is the most boring, generic, static and lifeless roller coaster themepark rides I have ever tryed and it does not even look good. Basically it is a one way dead end kinda road with limited replayability or reasons to revisit old places. It is box inside boxes inside boxes. It offers very little new to the mmo"rpg" genre. It does not even have day/night cycles and you can not swimThis is the most boring, generic, static and lifeless roller coaster themepark rides I have ever tryed and it does not even look good. Basically it is a one way dead end kinda road with limited replayability or reasons to revisit old places. It is box inside boxes inside boxes. It offers very little new to the mmo"rpg" genre. It does not even have day/night cycles and you can not swim either. The only thing this game lacks is an auto play button so it can play it self because it is that boring. I fail to see how they can call it an rp game really. And it comes from the company that have made legendary rp games in the past. Seriously those that play it is hard core star wars fans that just have to be in a star wars game. Even the mobs are just spread out in the combat zones in what often seems random spots they been dropped down with limited to no movement at all. Just waiting for a hero to come and kill their lifeless virtual bodies. The only moment this game is mildly good is when you are in the storyline quest it feels good but when you are not then it feels like an empty shell! Sadly the good gets burried under the extensive amounts of meaningless and dull quests you have to do in between. You are a powerful sith badass but you are super dependant on a babysither to nurse you around. WHAT?!? Solo without companion is almost impossible so there goes the beeing a powerful sith immersion. Darth Vader is not angry he is disapointed.. I really cant express exactly how much I dispise this game and I was super exited about it. I even bought the col edition so the jokes on me. LOL Never have I been more disappointed with a game and I can not recommend anyone to try it at all. I wished I could give you 300 million reasons to like this game but I cant. Mediocre storyline is what it does best but there is alot of alternatives that are far better.. Now all this is my opinion of course if you think this is the **** then that is just fine. Good luck with that ! :D Expand
  35. Jul 19, 2014
    To put it simply, the game is just superb. Everything is working properly and carried out well. The stories of each class grip you firmly as they take you in to the world of star wars. Plenty of endgame material too so no need to worry about that. Really had (and still having) a blast playing this game!
  36. Jul 17, 2014
    Second best Star Wars gaming franchise made! All story lines are AWESOME! some take a while to get into them but others straight into them and never lose interest!!!!
  37. Jul 17, 2014
    This is a great game, however it has come to my attention that ever since it has become "Free to Play" it has been plagued with idiots who just can not comprehend how to play together as a team. It is so bad that the Developers made these crazy easy Flashpoints called : "Tactical Flashpoints" that do not require a tank or a healer; all this in order to accommodate the idiots into playingThis is a great game, however it has come to my attention that ever since it has become "Free to Play" it has been plagued with idiots who just can not comprehend how to play together as a team. It is so bad that the Developers made these crazy easy Flashpoints called : "Tactical Flashpoints" that do not require a tank or a healer; all this in order to accommodate the idiots into playing the game with virtually zero tactics. They ruin the atmosphere of the game with their inability to listen and communicate...

They bring the enjoyment of the game down; it makes one have to abandon flashpoints due to their lack of team play and listening.

If these are children of the future... I fear for the future... these people will never be able to do anything in life without being told step by step... they have absolutely no sense of creativity or critical thinking skills. Heaven forbid the day they become "voters."

I like this game but... right now I enjoy playing Fifa 14 on "Legendary" setting more...
  38. Jul 7, 2014
    I heard about this game several years ago, but I didn't try it since 2014. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the game is a huge mass of gigabytes, around 25, but I cannot blame BioWare. It took me around a day to have the entirely one. And, the gameplay is nice, polished let's say, but the basic combat is a bit poor. At least the skills contribute to the gameplay. I like the plot,I heard about this game several years ago, but I didn't try it since 2014. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the game is a huge mass of gigabytes, around 25, but I cannot blame BioWare. It took me around a day to have the entirely one. And, the gameplay is nice, polished let's say, but the basic combat is a bit poor. At least the skills contribute to the gameplay. I like the plot, very much and the companions; this is great all in all. I played until level 17, because the game caused me lots of crashes on computer and I saw this is an internal problem that, I hope they will fix it within the new EP, Galactic Strongholds. The world is polished, very nice and I like there is a lot of content and worlds to go to. Well, the items are expressive and I like they have style. I don't know what to say more, but I bet; even this is the first MMO of BioWare/EA, they did a great job and I disagree the negative impresses of other players. I know there are several imperfections, but I am sure there is no another one like this. Congrats BioWare, I am waiting for the new update! Expand
  39. Jul 6, 2014
    I was so excited to be able to play this game with my upgraded computer only to be highly disappointed in its presentation. It plays exactly like WoW, which, to me, is a boring and outdated game experience. The characters and their animations are laughable, as well as the graphics which look pre-2005. And it runs at horrible framerates with lagging and disappearing. If they are runningI was so excited to be able to play this game with my upgraded computer only to be highly disappointed in its presentation. It plays exactly like WoW, which, to me, is a boring and outdated game experience. The characters and their animations are laughable, as well as the graphics which look pre-2005. And it runs at horrible framerates with lagging and disappearing. If they are running this game at such low resolution, I don't understand why they're having this problem. Of all the MMOs out there, this one is the ugliest and plays the worse. This game looks and plays worse than the beloved KOTOR from 2004, so why is it being touted as a game today? Because EA wants to cash in on the MMO market, but like everything they touch, turns to dry dust. No excuse to make this bad of a Star Wars game. Why anyone would pay a subscription to play this is beyond me. Expand
  40. Jun 20, 2014
    It is definitely a great game. The combat system is out of date but there is no denying that the voice over and story is top notch. If they would just update the combat system this game would be a real contender.
  41. Jun 9, 2014
    Just like all biowar games of the 200s - its a great story and a "meh" game.

Played to level 39 and just couldn't do it anymore. You've already played this game. It was called Wow and it was better at release in 20004 than this game is now. The only thing it really has going for it is: 1. Star Wars 2. Story If you want to just play the story once, feel free. It's not bad.
    Just like all biowar games of the 200s - its a great story and a "meh" game.

Played to level 39 and just couldn't do it anymore.

1. Star Wars
    2. Story

If you want to just play the story once, feel free. It's not bad. But, as an MMO, its not at all worth my money or time.
  42. May 29, 2014
    There is an enormous amount of content in this game and gameplay is always fun. They did a really well job. There are negative views about this game as the E3 trailer was spectacular and people believed that this game would be something beyond the current generation of games.
  43. May 26, 2014
    Summary... OK as an MMO. Diabolical support from staff that don't care. I pre ordered Collectors edition to support the game and still had to beg on twitter to get early access(that was advertised). Now everyone can get the "exclusive" in game items for £3. DO NOT BUY CARTEL COIN CURRENCY. I bought some cartel coins to support the game thinking I would not be shafted twice but I wasSummary... OK as an MMO. Diabolical support from staff that don't care. I pre ordered Collectors edition to support the game and still had to beg on twitter to get early access(that was advertised). Now everyone can get the "exclusive" in game items for £3. DO NOT BUY CARTEL COIN CURRENCY. I bought some cartel coins to support the game thinking I would not be shafted twice but I was wrong. Broken item was not refunded as expected and so I cancelled subscription. They just don't want my money and ignored me until my subscription expired. Currently unable to talk to them so will have to pay £8 for 30 days of being ignored or just go directly to my bank for refund. DO NOT SPEND ANY MONEY ON THIS GAME. I'm bitter so I will go around review sites repeating do not buy into the Free-To-Play model that destroyed a semi decent MMO. Expand
  44. May 13, 2014
    I am only reviewing this from the subscription experience, I do not recommend this MMO as a free to play game but it's an excellent subscription MMORPG. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 months and I love it and I'm still playing it on a regular basis, there is so much depth to Star Wars: The Old Republic, what completely sold me on this game is the quests and story and I'm a really bigI am only reviewing this from the subscription experience, I do not recommend this MMO as a free to play game but it's an excellent subscription MMORPG. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 months and I love it and I'm still playing it on a regular basis, there is so much depth to Star Wars: The Old Republic, what completely sold me on this game is the quests and story and I'm a really big Star Wars fan, so your choices affect whats going to happen next you can be good or bad but each choice may very likely come with consequences and affect the players story. The music is wonderful and stays true to Star Wars, the graphics are a little bit cartoonish but Bioware has said so it doesn't look dated in 4 years and I'd say it's aged really well so far. The choices for PVP has grown lately Bioware is constantly updating SWTOR with more PVP, story, and expansions.

I've been playing MMORPGs for 14 years and I've never playing anything like SWTOR that really got me into the game and addicted and not often enough can a game do that, SWTOR is simply fun I actually have fun and a good time while playing this, it doesn't feel grindy and I always can't wait to get to the next quest, I mostly like SWTOR because of the role playing. So don't judge this game by the free to play experience if your willing to shell out some cash for the subscription it's worth it, subscribers get more experience and that alone is worth it.

I highly recommend Star Wars: The Old Republic.
  45. May 10, 2014
    The only thing this game has going for itself is the class story questlines. Some of them are decent, while others are meh. Other than that, it's a waste of money. It's simply amazing how can devs keep a game like this alive by simply milking their unsuspecting fanbase of drones. There is so many wrongs in this game that I won't bother listing here because its pretty much everywhere. EAThe only thing this game has going for itself is the class story questlines. Some of them are decent, while others are meh. Other than that, it's a waste of money. It's simply amazing how can devs keep a game like this alive by simply milking their unsuspecting fanbase of drones. There is so many wrongs in this game that I won't bother listing here because its pretty much everywhere. EA should be ashamed to dump so much money (over 200-300 million dollars I think) on this pile of garbage. I think they are still trying to break even. Expand
  46. Apr 21, 2014
    i liked the game and pre-ordered it like loads of people, i love the missions and quests and story along with each, it gets a 4 mainly for going free to play, for not having that great of PVP, for the houses and space combat being a joke, i like having my ship be my house but that limits me creating the space into something unique, star war galaxies, and rift i could/can buy something andi liked the game and pre-ordered it like loads of people, i love the missions and quests and story along with each, it gets a 4 mainly for going free to play, for not having that great of PVP, for the houses and space combat being a joke, i like having my ship be my house but that limits me creating the space into something unique, star war galaxies, and rift i could/can buy something and make the inside something no one else has, also flying freely through space would have been much better, no those arcade missions which were fun but no where near as fun and free space could have been, if they ever make enough money again and start adding those features, then i will start up my account again and probaly even pay for it again, since i was willing to do so in the 1st place and hate free to play stuff cuz everything is so limited, makes me think they will never add anything awesome to it again. forgot to add i had a level 50 sith sorcerer, so and made 6 other characters, next highest was 30-40 commando, so i played the game plenty before i judged it. Expand
  47. Apr 16, 2014
    Worst MMORPG in existence. I love Star Wars, but for the sake of your wallet do not buy this game. If you're a hardcore/competitive player – whether you PvP, PvE, or both – just do not buy this game. It's the worst.
  48. Apr 7, 2014
    Overall its fairly obvious that this is a good MMO game. Yes, there are some minor tweaks needed, but overall I would give this an 9. If you are not a star wars type this still may be a good game for you.
  49. Mar 22, 2014
    Lovely game.I had a great experience playingLovely game.I had a great experience playing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  50. Mar 11, 2014
    its a lot better than it used to be it has a lot more content there's more flashpoints and operations plus the story is grand . i recamend playing it now
  51. Mar 6, 2014
    Sadly this game had great potential but the ball was dropped on so many levels that it just ended up being an average MMO.MMO is Massively Multi-player Online, If you are not familiar with these types of games. Usually RPG's with several thousand players. I played till cap with 2 other members from my family. I played pretty much all classes on both sides. I played this game when itSadly this game had great potential but the ball was dropped on so many levels that it just ended up being an average MMO.MMO is Massively Multi-player Online, If you are not familiar with these types of games. Usually RPG's with several thousand players. I played till cap with 2 other members from my family. I played pretty much all classes on both sides. I played this game when it first came out, you had to pay for the game and pay for the subscription each month. The game fell quickly from it's pay to play hopes. Falling faster than any AAA MMO that I know of, to the failed Free to play realm MMO's. Especially for one designed to be a AAA pay to play MMO. And which is probably one of the most expensive MMO's ever made. Because of it's high expectations, and high development cost most MMO fans consider this game an epic failure.

This was because the game was spun by the PR people at EA to be 3-10 of the KOTOR series. As a sequel to the Knights of the Old Republic games this game fails epically. The game does not even come close to delivering the story, the mini games or replayablitiy, of the KOTOR series.

However, if you were looking for an average MMO, with no real ties to the KOTOR series and was set in the Star Wars universe, set way before the Star Wars stories, that is super easy to play. Then this might be the game for you.

As far as MMO's go, SWTOR seems to be very weak and buggy on it's PVP. The PVE story is fine and the classes are interesting enough. It has a on "rails" space ship mission series that is an okay mini game. And the game is very soloable for an MMO. The graphics, playability, UI, and everything about the game are average at best for an MMO.

The only thing to make this different from any other MMO is it's class story instances. It tried to copy choices meaning something from the KOTOR series but fails epically. In the end people just choose all light or dark side choices to get sets of gear. Neutral choices actually punish you, as there was no neutral gear rewards when I played. But in truth the only thing that makes this game unique in MMO's is it's based in the Star Wars universe. And sadly, Star Wars Galaxies was a Star Wars MMO that was much more loved than SWTOR was. SWTOR forced SWG out, only because George Lucas only gave the rights to the Star Wars Universe to one real MMO at a time. So SWG had to have it's plug pulled. Thus SWTOR is the only Star Wars MMO standing by virtue of a newer more lucrative pay out to Lucas. Not because it was a better game.

But in the end it is very disappointing because this game was supposed to be multiple sequels to the KOTOR series, and just doesn't even come close to being half as fun or have the replayability of the single player and much older KOTOR series of games.

Though I have to rate the game fairly. And as an MMO it is average at best. And that is in the very run of the mill World of Warcraft rip off theme park MMO's category. Which makes it very generic. Honestly the game had huge potential, but ended up being just another face in the crowd, of what most consider failed MMO's. Forced into the niche and free 2 play market, way before it's time. Because EA didn't even come close to delivering the KOTOR MMO in a Star Wars universe they promised.
  52. Feb 27, 2014
    I have only ever had a great time playing this game which is set in my favorite era, the dialog was great to have because i could define my own character and i wouldn't have to be an evil Sith, i could be a good Sith or neutral.
    Favorite story for me was both the Jedi Knight and Sith inquisitor. The Jedi Knights story was so good because it was a large scale threat you were dealing with which made every step more intense plus the companions for the Jedi Knight are so good, like Kira and Doc (tied 1st on my favorite companions list) because they were so well scripted. The Sith Inquisitors story i found was bad from level 1-15 because it was you just running small tasks, but at the end when yo met the ghost and he beat the hell out of you (not as bad as you think) it then starts to get interesting, but after chapter 1 when you start to bind with ghosts it to interesting not to play.
    The only bad things i found in the game where some of the stories, like the bounty hunters, the dialog isn't that bad but the story all together just seemed a bit rushed (and in my option the Bounty hunter and smuggler should of had a faction of there own due to the fact that they are a neutral party) the only other story that i find the most boring is the Jedi Consular, it's so boring (i'm doing a fallen Jedi Consular and i'm dragging myself along because it feels that bland)

Revan is the god of Star wars
  53. Feb 24, 2014
    This game does quite a few things quite well. Story-telling being on of them. It feels friendly and welcoming and it has its own unique style and setting. I spent many hours having loads of fun. I leveled few characters to level 30-40. I was never into end-game content in this game, because it wasn't what I played it for. See this game or as a Mass Effect game with MMO features. That isThis game does quite a few things quite well. Story-telling being on of them. It feels friendly and welcoming and it has its own unique style and setting. I spent many hours having loads of fun. I leveled few characters to level 30-40. I was never into end-game content in this game, because it wasn't what I played it for. See this game or as a Mass Effect game with MMO features. That is what it feels like. And it is not so bad as you may think. Leveling is the real deal here, not the end game content. The story telling is pretty cool too. The MMo formula based on grind is still present, but it is elegantly packed into cut-scenes and dialogue and it is also flexible. Most of the "kill X of Y" quests are optional and are progressed/finished authomatically as you go. I expected more of this MMO. I expected it to be much more open, but it still is a good one. Expand
  54. Feb 23, 2014
    Bottom line(at the top): This is a solid and polished MMO with a good amount of content.

PROS: Fully voiced npc's and quests. The volume and quality of content is high Great atmosphere High population/good support/decent lfg Instanced PvP including space ship battles Very little grinding/fast leveling if you subscribe You can play the game like a single player game

PROS:

Fully voiced npc's and quests.

The volume and quality of content is high

Great atmosphere

High population/good support/decent lfg

Instanced PvP including space ship battles

Very little grinding/fast leveling if you subscribe

You can play the game like a single player game if you want. This is KOTOR 3.

6 distinct storylines

Highly replayable as a different character class/alignment/faction

CONS:
    In your face if you don't spend money

Slower leveling if you don't sub

If you don't like Star Wars, the setting will appeal less to you.

If you don't like MMOs, this is still an MMO

Non-cutting edge graphics(the game still looks pretty darn good)

You start playing another MMO and wonder why you aren't playing SWTOR.
  55. Feb 21, 2014
    Uninteresting, your choices mean nothing. I was excited for this game to come out, but quickly realized what a mistake that was. A $15 sub fee for almost ZERO content or bug fixes, but lo and behold they're working on a robust nickel and dime F2P for even more money, and guess what comes out then? Everything. Everything they can nickel and dime you with is on the store, things they refusedUninteresting, your choices mean nothing. I was excited for this game to come out, but quickly realized what a mistake that was. A $15 sub fee for almost ZERO content or bug fixes, but lo and behold they're working on a robust nickel and dime F2P for even more money, and guess what comes out then? Everything. Everything they can nickel and dime you with is on the store, things they refused to put out or make when it was a P2P game.

But more about the game: The PvP is horribly unbalanced, it always has been. The developers seem incompetent and unable to make proper fixes.

The free to play is lacking: EVERYTHING COSTS MONEY, EVEN TO SUBSCRIBERS. THERE IS ALMOST NO POINT TO BEING A SUBSCRIBER BECAUSE IT STILL COSTS MONEY AFTER THE SUB. This is completely asinine to me.

The story, well, the story. Any choice you make in the story has no consequence. Kill the guy or don't kill the guy. The jedi next to you will still be like: "cool, let's go." I mean, wtf. I just murdered this dude, there blood all over you. It's like this the whole game, no matter what you do, you just go to the same part of the quest as the other choices with the same dialogue. It sucks.
  56. Feb 6, 2014
    This game somehow passed me by and only just got into it. There's a huge amount to do and progression so far feels natural, no feeling of grinding away at all. The newly added space battles are also great.

This is a great MMO and a worthy follow-up to KOTOR 1 & 2
  57. Feb 5, 2014
    Story, characters, companions. This game is amazing because it brings Bioware tradition of deep stories into the mmorg market. It does revolutionary stuff and feels as a great addition to the Kotor saga. It's a must play, at least for the 8 class storylines (adding there the companion stories) and the 2 faction story lines [which all this now are free, so there you have it ;) ]
  58. Jan 21, 2014
    Played this game for the first six months when it was still subscription based. Decided to take a look today at how things are and it looks like a freaking thai market with all the cartel coins requirements to get your game to actually work as a real game. This game is anything else but free to play. They managed to disgrace this game. When it launched it surely had a chance to grow, nowPlayed this game for the first six months when it was still subscription based. Decided to take a look today at how things are and it looks like a freaking thai market with all the cartel coins requirements to get your game to actually work as a real game. This game is anything else but free to play. They managed to disgrace this game. When it launched it surely had a chance to grow, now its just another company milking its fanatic star wars fanbase. Once again, EA managed to run another of their games into the ground. What a waste. Expand
  59. Jan 10, 2014
    SW: TOR is ultimately a disappointment. It’s not going to satisfy the hardcore MMO player and single player gamers are not going to want to continually pay the sub or microtransaction fees the game requires to progress. It was a good attempt at making a hybrid genre RPG but suffers from a few critical failures.

I’ll admit that I have enjoyed playing this game a great deal and have sunk

I’ll admit that I have enjoyed playing this game a great deal and have sunk more hours into it than I care to admit. I played through the stories of five different classes to reach max level and enjoyed them all. If you plan out your characters’ crafting trees, you can have some fun with making your own gear and keep your weapons & armor stocked with strong mods, which makes leveling much less of a grind.

As someone who mainly prefers single player games, I liked the mix of the MMO elements. I never felt required to group up with other players, but you can reap rewards in tougher areas if you do. I liked the companions, dialogue choices and side missions, as well. If you love Star Wars and the original Old Republic games, you’ll love the narratives for these characters, made all the more interesting by being able to pick light or dark side choices as you play. My Sith Sorcerer, for example, was actually kind of a nice guy.

PvP was an absolute blast in this game, too. When it first released and they had way too many servers and not enough people, it quickly got terrible due to unbalanced population pools. Once they consolidated the servers, though, it came back better than ever. PvP is where I’d typically gain the bulk of my leveling XP to avoid having to do the same PvE sidequests I’d already done on one or two other characters. I’m surprised to say that it never got old. It was always fun to force leap & stun someone in Huttball right as they were crossing the last fire pit to the goal :)

Unfortunately, the poorly implemented MMO side catches up before long. For me it is the totally lifeless environments. They are so big and many look nice, yet there is almost nothing to do in them. For example, there is a gigantic casino in one world whose only purpose is for you to visit briefly for a cutscene if your chosen class story requires it. Why not have some sort of gambling system in place to let players win (or lose) in-game currency? Why not have some adaptation of Pazaak, the card game from earlier KOTOR games? And there is no social hub to speak of. There are cantinas and things but again, nothing to do there, so nobody is ever around. What happens is that most people end up congregating around the PvP area in the faction HQ and wandering around in circles or AFKing, waiting for the queue to pop.

Then there’s the ruthless implementation of the F2P model, which crushed everything I liked about the game. I get that they have to make money but my problem is that if you were an original customer who bought the game and paid sub fees for several months, you get no reward for that. You still have to purchase “cartel coins” to buy an unlock (or pay more sub fees) simply to show your head gear or have more than one quickbar to use, the same as any schlub who DL’d the game for free yesterday. That stings.

There is a fun game lurking inside SW: TOR, but you have to claw through several layers of frustration & hidden fees to find it. And if you want a "real" MMO, you won't find it here. I have some good memories of time spent playing this game and I would like to play through the remaining stories I didn’t experience yet, but I’m done spending money on it. There are too many other games out there with one-time fees I can play.
  60. Dec 29, 2013
    I've never seen a company take such an amazing game and run it straight into the ground so quickly.

When the game was purely subscription based it was great. Now it's unplayable. You can't take five steps without running into some cheap attempt at getting the player to buy "Cartel Coins". I'm talking about basic functionality, like hiding your character's helmet. Anything you may have earned beforehand is now held from you and unavailable unless you unlock specifically that one thing with "Cartel Coins"

Way to kill a great thing, guys.
  61. Dec 16, 2013
    One of the best MMO's around the graphics are awesome and the interaction within the NPC's just destroys the competition. The Heroics, War Zones both ground and space and new Flashpoints make this game too much fun not to mention all the monthly activities the game has. But DO NOT do free 2 play I REPEAT DO NOT be a Free 2 play player. The game is crazy limited for "F2P" players but beingOne of the best MMO's around the graphics are awesome and the interaction within the NPC's just destroys the competition. The Heroics, War Zones both ground and space and new Flashpoints make this game too much fun not to mention all the monthly activities the game has. But DO NOT do free 2 play I REPEAT DO NOT be a Free 2 play player. The game is crazy limited for "F2P" players but being a subscriber it's a whole different game. As a subscriber since launch there is just no other way to play and enjoy this awesome experience. Expand
  62. Dec 16, 2013
    I love this game so much. Let me say first, I played WoW for a bit when it came out, but never really got into it. So I'm pretty much a total MMORPG newbie. But 2 weeks ago I gave The Old Republic finally a try, and ever since then I'm having a hard time explaining to my girlfriend why all she hears from my side of the room are *woosh* *woosh* sounds (that's supposed to be a lightsaber sound
  63. Dec 15, 2013
    If you're planning on being an sub the whole time, go ahead. The storyline is neat (it could use some improvement, but it is better then in the most MMO's), gameplay isn't too bad... it's worth your money if you've got the time for it. It easily deserves an 7-8 at least.
    If you're planning on going F2P: STAY AWAY! You'll get nickle-and-dimed every second, and no amount of Cartel Coins will make this go away. While sure, you can play the storylines for free, the amount of grinding necessary at later levels is absurd (from level 20+ you're getting an 25% XP penalty!) and the amount of restrictions and 'in-your-face-you're-not-an-sub-thus-not-an-customer'-moments is close to being spiteful of you. There's way too much to say about the F2P option... and with Rise of the Hutt Cartel (the expansion, which you'll need to buy at €17/$20 as F2P-player while subs get it free!) it has become even worse. For the F2P-option I can give an 3, max. Stay. Away.
  64. Dec 13, 2013
    Another mindless WOW clone wannabe. instead of sticking to their strong sides like KOTOR1 and such they go on and copy whatever is goes on the market right now throwing all their integrity for quick buck, well guess what lucas, your clone sucks, all you ever had was the old games which were quality made and you trying to take a market with whole new audiance just puts you in a lameAnother mindless WOW clone wannabe. instead of sticking to their strong sides like KOTOR1 and such they go on and copy whatever is goes on the market right now throwing all their integrity for quick buck, well guess what lucas, your clone sucks, all you ever had was the old games which were quality made and you trying to take a market with whole new audiance just puts you in a lame position. im sure you can see how this game fails in sales maybe it will teach you a lesson. Expand
  65. Dec 11, 2013
    Excellent MMO game. Enjoyable endgame, the new Space Combat is very fun, and the storylines are very well written.. Character customization could admittedly be better, and the restrictions for Free-to-Play members can be rough. But, if you enjoy Star Wars, endgame Raiding, space combat, or games with a story, you won't regret spending time with SWTOR.
  66. Dec 8, 2013
    I've not played to the endgame where the real issues arose, from what I've heard. But I thought the various class choices were fantastic in how they varied and filled roles. I enjoyed the story and the tension that was there with the Empire vs Republic struggle. The cutscenes brought the questing to a personal level that I enjoyed, though I believe they could have reduced the number ofI've not played to the endgame where the real issues arose, from what I've heard. But I thought the various class choices were fantastic in how they varied and filled roles. I enjoyed the story and the tension that was there with the Empire vs Republic struggle. The cutscenes brought the questing to a personal level that I enjoyed, though I believe they could have reduced the number of them. The personal ship and personal relationship with your crew is great (much like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc). Looking forward to the Starfighter expansion. Expand
  67. Dec 5, 2013
    I never got too far in this game. I really wanted to like it, but the pacing is very slow, combat seems to be boring, and I didn't find many interesting items to write home about until I paid for the subscription, in which case, they were simply handed to me. I ended up buying Guild Wars 2 a week into the bored-to-death grindfest, and had a much better overall experience.

The Story is

The Story is actually interesting, I wish i could powerhouse through the grind to see some of the interesting story elements play out, but I simply hated the slow drudgery of the game's pacing.
  68. MrZ
    Dec 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MMO wise, this game is solid. If you enjoy Star Wars, even better! However, if you were a fan of the original KOTORs, then this game is a let down. Although it has many interesting features, it truly is as some would say a "WoW clone." Bioware had promised something that they couldn't deliver. They preached it would alter the MMO scene. This never really caught on. The worst is what they did to Revan. He goes mad and dies an unsatisfactory death in one of the flashpoints. It truly was saddening. But, if you enjoy MMOs, I guess that you could manage to like this game. I still play it simply because I am a Star Wars fan and because I enjoy MMOs. Expand
  69. Nov 25, 2013
    Engine performance, meh. Graphics and level design, bland. Planets, small and linear no day night cycle. Mob AI, atrocious. Speeders are as fast as wheelchairs. No space sim like SWG had. Story, decent but nothing special. Overall, meh.
  70. Nov 13, 2013
    Worst MMORPG in existence. I love Star Wars, but for the sake of your wallet do NOT buy this game. If you're a hardcore player, whether you PvP, PvE or both, just do NOT buy this game. It's the worst.
  71. Nov 12, 2013
    Fantastic mmo with great story, customization, worlds to explore and constantly adding free content in addition to free expansions. While some can mock it's free to play policies, you can play mas effect style quality story for 8 separate classes with all unique characters and stories that are deep...for free. The gameplay is great, it looks great, and it's a blast to play.
  72. Nov 2, 2013
    Exciting but as you go further to the game it's getting boring. I love star wars but this is not a game that can remind you the movies. Play it if you want, but do not have high expectations.
  73. Oct 27, 2013
    I have played various of MMO games and to be honest this game just blew my mind. It offers 8 different character stories were you get to pick decisions very like the original games instead your character actually has a voice. The combat is still fun even if it's on the same engine as star trek online (which is also good). I guess people don't like this game because of Reven being in theI have played various of MMO games and to be honest this game just blew my mind. It offers 8 different character stories were you get to pick decisions very like the original games instead your character actually has a voice. The combat is still fun even if it's on the same engine as star trek online (which is also good). I guess people don't like this game because of Reven being in the game or they think that it's another wanna be world of Warcraft which in my opinion became a pile of crap. In all the game is enjoyable for any star wars fan especially those who played the original knights of the old republic games. Expand
  74. Oct 24, 2013
    I've been playing this game since launch. It's pretty much Star wars WoW. I like it. and love SW. It has a great storyline and the graphics a good too. Only reason it doesn't get a 10 from me is you pay to play. They have a free to play option now though.If your a fan of MMO's and Star wars... Get this..
  75. Oct 20, 2013
    I want to start saying that I barely played this game completely: I wasn't able to reach level cap and I wasn't able to do much of stuff or test anything. Infact, this lack of playing is why I wanted to review: I never played this game when it was released (I was never a fan of Star Wars) so my experience is mainly from a f2p perspective. And as a f2p, this is by far one of the worst II want to start saying that I barely played this game completely: I wasn't able to reach level cap and I wasn't able to do much of stuff or test anything. Infact, this lack of playing is why I wanted to review: I never played this game when it was released (I was never a fan of Star Wars) so my experience is mainly from a f2p perspective. And as a f2p, this is by far one of the worst I ever played. It has almost EVERYTHING locked or limited for a f2p player so many that I can't even start mentioning it would take all the characters for this review, however for few examples we have: no bank, no inventory expansion, limited access to loot from "instances" (or flash points), limited access to pvp, limited amount of money you can have, no rested exp, limited customization for your character (only 3 races available, you can't show your titles or take off your helmet, limited amount of emotes), also your spend much more for doing simple things and have other limitations in communications (you can't whisper or trade), and my favourite: skill bars limited to two.
    In other words, this is why I made this review: SWTOR potentially turns off anyone who dares to get closer and, unless you have lots of money, you'll suffer from anything because "you have to unlock". Sure it's not impossible to play as a free player and it's not entirely unplayable. But then...why do I have to play it? I know better f2p games that do limitations but are more than affordable and at least won't drive you crazy for every single limitations they will give you; my guess is because it's Star Wars and so for those who love the lore, the atmosphere, the universe itself will just want to enter for feeling like a true Jedi. Infact I dare to say the game itself IS good, although it doesn't innovate: it plays like World of Warcraft (almost literally) which means that if you despise WoW, this game is already not for you, but for the rest is actually interesting and even if I don't mind the SW universe I wanted to get into it. But the limitations just turns me off everytime and I'm sorry if I might be unfair: if you want to play a good f2p, really, look somewhere else since unless you pay a subscription (which is somewhat better considering all of the little stuff you have to buy, you can easily reach a subscription fee every month). If you want a good Star Wars game, maybe this will do despite the limitations. I just couldn't appreciate it to the fullest.
    PS: if you're willing to subscribe, give it a 7-8.
  76. Oct 20, 2013
    SWTOR is pretty good. Despite that: This game is, was and may forever be, the BIGGEST failure, the BIGGEST disappointment, and the BIGGEST lost opportunity in the history of Game design up to this point. I'm not saying that what we got at publication, or what they have patched it up to now is bad. Its not. the problem with SWTOR is what it could and should have been. What it failed to be.SWTOR is pretty good. Despite that: This game is, was and may forever be, the BIGGEST failure, the BIGGEST disappointment, and the BIGGEST lost opportunity in the history of Game design up to this point. I'm not saying that what we got at publication, or what they have patched it up to now is bad. Its not. the problem with SWTOR is what it could and should have been. What it failed to be. The budget was there but the vision was lacking. For those of us who saw the first Star Wars movie in the cinema back in 1977 This IP was a life changing influence in the same way as Tolkein was in the field of literature. We all know how George Lucas had a gift for failing with Star Wars, for wrecking things, or rubbing the luster off it. But Bioware had a good track record of doing Star Wars well. KOTOR 1 and 2 were great. Mass Effect, though a unique IP showed that the Canadians were capable of great things here. So WTF happened? My guess is they played it way too safe, and tried to copy WOW as closely as possible with a few fatal dashes too many of Bioware's legendary (And in this case diasterous) 'STORYTELLING'.! Hey guys a little advice after the barn has burned down: GAMERS WANT TO WRITE THEIR OWN FACKING STORIES! We don't want to get dragged around like marionettes on strings you pull, or strapped into chairs of the scenic railroads you lay for us! We want to be the heroes of the story in our own terms! SWTOR could have ignored WOW. It could have got a few ideas from EVE and X3, heaps of inspiration from the best of the movies and then a glorious freewheeling sandbox in a galaxy, where you can play any of dozens of races, on dozens of planets explore the galaxy and pursue any numbers of skill sets developing the kind of hero you wanted to be. Luke Skywalker had a thing for droids remember! We could have all been free to develop all sorts of fun non-combat skills for the purposes of ROLE PLAYING. Eventually, after many adventures in many places the players might even have got introduced to the force, or its dark side and found the option to choose to become a Jedi knight or a Sithe warrior. Sadly that was all to 1995 for Bioware. This game offered ZERO EXPLORATION. ZERO meaningful race choice, near ZILCH in character development. Near NOTHING in player choice. You start off affiliated to one of two factions, and well on your way to mastery of skills which in the lore of Star Wars were supposed to be rare and special. Bioware designed a game, and planned for a situation where there would be literally millions of high level Jedi's and Sithe running around! A mad dream that has nothing to do with Star Wars lore. Built without vision, this game fails to impress where it should. It suffers a Bioware malaise: No sense of place. Each area you go to is a sterile set, where you plod about waiting to be cued on a conveyer belt to your next fixed 'plot point'. You don't become a bounty hunter or anything in this game by trial and error, by wandering about and earning the membership rights to a skill set. Instead you make a single choice with character creation that then becomes a RAILROAD OF SUBSEQUENT non choices. Which can also be described, when you think about it (as I so capably do) THE ANTITHESIS OF ROLEPLAYING. What some of the targets of these reviews need to understand is that I was designing games at a professional level at the age of 16, back in 1982. I'm not blowing bubbles out of my arse. The game still scores 6/10 because it has plenty of fun content. You can't burn $300 million without getting nice assets, animations, sincere efforts, good voice acting and a lot of good content, which this game DOES offer. It's pretty well a game everyone should look into when it goes free to play. it may even get patched up enough to earn a green score. I hope so. But it will always be too late. SWTOR cannot now become the masterpiece it should have been. When they set aside the budget for this game, it was a grand chance to be daring and to redefine role playing forever. What we got instead was a boring version of WOW in space. Lost in Space, where is that robot waving its arms crying "warning, warning"? TOO LATE.

Orctowngrot
  77. Oct 19, 2013
    The old republic is a really good mmo and the thing that holds it back is the BS free to play restriction
    Pros: the gameplay is really good, the differences in the story between the classes, choices are cool, contains some of the elements I liked about mass effect and dragon age while doing enough to make itself it's own game, being a Jedi or a sith is extremely fun, dialogue options from mass effect return, the cinematics are solid and the graphics get the job done
    Cons: after you reach level 10 unless you subscribe you get less exp points, fetch quests, some annoyingly powerful boss fights where they have just a sliver of health less then you die and need to start over (I must have fought tarnis a billion times) free to play restrictions really annoy me
    So since this is free to play now I suggest you play it (if someone says it's too much like world of Warcraft, So WHAT WoW is awesome) if your a Star Wars fan play it, if your a bio ware fan play it or even if your just a mmo fan you should play it
  78. Oct 14, 2013
    Truly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part ofTruly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part of the genre) missions. Further, players are rewarded for interacting with other players and for exploration. Any problems are minor. The only true frustration is how difficult the optional datacrons can be to obtain. In earnest, this is the best MMO I've ever attempted. Expand
  79. Oct 8, 2013
    I did have fun playing this game as I do like Star Wars Lore and do prefer solo-ing MMOs unless I have to group up. Thus this may not be a game for everyone if you like the more MMO aspects of it. I have a feeling EA and Bioware were trying to be greedy in targeting both sets of audiences and charging a premium for it.

Story: Was decent with the voice acting and the quests seem to try

Story: Was decent with the voice acting and the quests seem to try and tie into the main story a lot better than some other MMOs I played. It's a bit weak at times, but not bad for an MMO.

Gameplay: I like the variety of skills that you can choose to use on your toolbar or expanded toolbar, BUT the animations do not link very well with the key press and the cooldowns are all over the place. Combat seemed to be just punching buttons and hoping for the best. IF the key presses matched the animations, it would have been okay.

Sounds and video were decent. Sometimes a bit glitchy. I would say the gameplay is a bit slow, it takes forever to get past the initial hold your hand levels and I found travelling to be slow, even when I had a speeder. Was surprised to find so much voice acting in an MMO, a nice bioware touch.

Found classes and character limitation to be a bit limiting. Though it was kind of cool that each character had a distinct story (sadly not very customizeable) but quite deep good effort.

Recommend this game if you have patience, are a Star Wars fan and prefer solo PVE. Else, pass.

Not worth buying at all since the core of the game has some problems.
  80. Oct 2, 2013
    I played the game from launch until the release of the hutt cartel. At the point that the hutt cartel was released I managed to get all classes to 50 4 on republic and 4 on the imperial side. This game promised a lot of great things a story driven mmo, the greatest pvp experience ever made by the"greatest pvp team". Needless to say what we got was nothing more than pureI played the game from launch until the release of the hutt cartel. At the point that the hutt cartel was released I managed to get all classes to 50 4 on republic and 4 on the imperial side. This game promised a lot of great things a story driven mmo, the greatest pvp experience ever made by the"greatest pvp team". Needless to say what we got was nothing more than pure disappointment. The game was clearly rushed, it was visible by the quality and extensiveness of the content we had. I wont touch on bugs as it is something which is common the launch of many mmos, the only critique on that part is that there were bugs and balance issues which were pointed out during open beta that still carried over and remained in the live game for over an year.

On the PVE front we only had 2 end game operations with a unfair and bad designed loot drop system where many times a group would get useless drops which could not be used at all by any member of the raid. This was the case for the first 3 months and it was improved upon very on the course of a year.

On the PVP side of the game, the open pvp area had to be shutdown after being redesigned not even a month after release, due to a system which was unprepared to deal with unbalaced numbers of players on each side. What remained of pvp was the so called war zones only 3 for over 6 months, which had no match making system and constatly put premade groups over pug groups which be a source of great frustration for everyone, premades wouldnt get the challenge they wanted and ppugs would never have a chance of winning a match. They tried to remedy this issue with a ranked match system, which completely falied as the rewards were not substantial enough to keep premade groups interested in it.

The most frustrating thing about the PVP aspect of this game though, is class balance. Not because there is no balance, but due to the lack of active develop spent on it, at some point the game remained broken for over 7 months without a fix to the balance issue, which was basically that a class could take over 50% to up to 5 players with 1 move, in some cases depending on the gear and class difference and that would go upwards to 90-100% of damage. Needless to say pvp in this game was unplayable and frustrating for this period of time.

This lack of balance was only addressed on the release of the hutt cartel, which still did very little to remedy the situation and that class still remains the top damage dealing class on pvp on the game.

The only reason left to play the game was the personal story arc for each main class of the game, which ranked from ok, to quite intesting.

However after the game went into free to play mode, the focus on the game changed from a story driven mmo to a mini market driven one. The worst kind of market in fact, where many items that should have been unlocked by completing story arcs in the game were moved to lottery boxes, which in some case you had to buy quite a lot of in order to get the item you wanted, EVEN if you had an active subscription.

Needless to say that at this point it was obvious that the mistakes made during launch and development were too great to be remedy as for example using an unfinished version of the 3rd party engine and this game became a cash-in game for EA.

I finally decided to leave the game after the disappointment that The hutt cartel was, which created artificial caps on how much you could progress on the game, no matter how many characters you had.

In short, this game is nothing more than pure disappointment for me I saw it deforming from what could be a AAA story driven mmo into a cash-in theme park mmo with an unreasonable market place system that seriously injured the game.

It baffles me that anyone could give this game a score of over 50%.
  81. Sep 18, 2013
    Has great story and fun to play with friends. It is still better to be a subscriber but can do a lot of the game for free. Have leveled up a few characters and done as many quests as I can and still end up under leveled sometimes. Has a bit of challenge to it but is best for the story. Can be tedious at times and difficult by yourself. Best played with a group and not taken very seriously.
  82. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the best MMO I have played. I love the story part of the game. I do not play PvP. I play with a small group of friends and enjoy this game a lot.
  83. Sep 5, 2013
    That's not star wars...
    It's just a rpg with laser sabre.
    Very very boring...
    I had the courage to level up to lvl 50 and hop bye bye the poorly crapy cartoony game.
  84. Sep 3, 2013
    This is one of the most disappointing games I have ever played. After playing KOTOR 1 and 2 several times, I heard about this and was so excited. Even finding out it was going to be an MMO I was still excited. Then the game was finally released, I found out that it was a subscription game, so I held off until it was free, and I did. So I played it. It starts out good, but after the firstThis is one of the most disappointing games I have ever played. After playing KOTOR 1 and 2 several times, I heard about this and was so excited. Even finding out it was going to be an MMO I was still excited. Then the game was finally released, I found out that it was a subscription game, so I held off until it was free, and I did. So I played it. It starts out good, but after the first few times of leveling up, you get very bored with the game. I mean, somehow this 2011 game looks worse than KOTOR 1 which came out in 2003 if I'm not mistaken. The gameplay lacks and is way too easy. And the plot, while interesting and amazing, is predictable, only once or twice was I surprised by the story out of my nearly thousand hours of playing. While there is still that choice of what you want to say, it all turns out the same on the ending of the quests. But I do have one good thing which saves this game from being a negative review, and that is the loot. The loot, while sometimes being wasted time, is usually very rewarding. I could only recommend this game to one type of person. The die-hard Star Wars fans. Expand
  85. Aug 30, 2013
    The worst of all games. I have played too many games in my life but this one was the worst game I've ever played. The Star Wars movies though are very good and epic but this game is a big CRAP!!!!!!
  86. Aug 26, 2013
    [4.9] It may be that I'm not a fan of MMO's, but Knights of the Old Republic seemed exceptionally dull, and extremely disorganized. It was much more trouble than it was an enjoyable role-playing experience. I'm a fan of most of BioWare's works, but this game was repetitive, frustrating, and was not rewarding whatsoever. It was a mostly empty gaming experience.
  87. Aug 25, 2013
    This game suffers from a gamebreaking issue the Free 2 Play model it uses.
    Now, the game can be easily dismissed as a WoW clone (which it is) with some Star Wars twists thrown into the mix.
    I got to play the game for about 2 days and all I can say is this: it is boring as hell and it is frustrating as well. Why is it frustrating? Well, where do I start: - Do you want to do anything
    This game suffers from a gamebreaking issue the Free 2 Play model it uses.
    Why is it frustrating?
    Well, where do I start:
    - Do you want to do anything in this game beyond running around like a fool? Pay us money.
    - Do you want to display a useless title near your name? Pay us money.
    - Do you want to play certain instances more than once every 100 years? Pay us money.

EA wants your money for basically everything you do. Today I received an item in a quest which was, I kid you not, just something that said "Become a subscriber today!" and then disappeared. What the hell EA? You money-hungering, greedy bastards. Why can't you follow a successful model like the one League of Legends, World of Tanks, Guild Wars 2 (and many others) use? There are only 2 big MMOs that still use the subscription model WoW and EVE Online (where you can actually extend your subscription using the in-game currency).
    I got news for you, EA: your MMO is never going to succeed.
    Instead of delivering on their promised KOTOR3 or maybe an actual fun, interesting MMO that doesn't try to rip you off every time you open your inventory, they made this Silly BioWare and EA.

After all, you can't spell "Steal" without EA.
  88. Aug 25, 2013
    Game is awesome for people interested in an actual story where you have actual interaction with NPCs instead of just blankly accepting quests without even reading. One of the best MMORPG I've played.
  89. Aug 24, 2013
    If you care about PvP, class balance or even top PvE content this is the worst game you can imagine. Incredibly bad balance across the board, out of touch developers and developers who as of now even insults it's own playerbase. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

If you like to buy fluffy stuff for real life money, then maybe this is for you.
  90. Aug 20, 2013
    I used to rate this game a 3 roughly a year and a half ago, now I want to rate this game again at a higher score.

Don't get me wrong; it absolutely deserves a 3 when it first came out. Game was insanely buggy and unstable, has awful performance issues and the design team was retarded. Well, was. At least they are learning things. New PvE dungeons are not bad and casual PvP has always

Well, was. At least they are learning things. New PvE dungeons are not bad and casual PvP has always been like that. It is at least stable now.

The cosmetic cash shop is well designed and really caters to the Kotor fantasy of the players. Quite unfortunately it is built on a F2P system that is not quite pay to win, but very annoying.

The major problem of this game now is that its updates are very, very, very slow. You'll likely get through all content of a patch quickly if you are playing anywhere near regularly, and the next patch won't get there in like forever.
  91. Aug 11, 2013
    Star Wars: The Old Republic™ is an extraordinary good game and a revolutionary new addition to the mmo genre, uhm Doritos™. It's combat is an incredible Dew that really shines in the Mountain Dew™ environment. I really love money. So yea buy this game if you love Mountain Dew™ and Doritos™
  92. Aug 10, 2013
    This game has so many great ingredients: Star Wars, MMO, Bioware, the Old Republic Lore (rather then whiny, badly written George Lucas stuff). However, once the awe has washed away the impression that this game was either designed by people who don't care or by a comity who forced a list in front of Bioware's least experienced employees can't be helped.
    At it's most basic, SWTOR is WoW
    At it's most basic, SWTOR is WoW with a different coat of paint. For an alleged $200 million budget it's shameful what Bioware has done with this, not taking a single risk or taking advantage of outstanding features anything other then WoW had (no Global friends list is bad enough, but no sidekick feature is even worse). Gameplay is very much by the numbers with a bias towards the NPC enemies if you're evenly matched. There's been so many fights I've gone into with my Bounty Hunter at even level with decent equipment and still been flattened.
    Speaking of equipment, the in-game store added after the change to F2P is an embarrassment, mostly working on random boxes that frequently give you very little with a few 'ok' sets of armour that need modifications adding to them before they can be useful and other bits and bobs.
    I came to this game after City of Heroes shut down. For the longest time, I got on ok with the game as I enjoyed some of the story, but as time progressed I realized just how terrible this game is and wouldn't recommend it at all.
  93. Aug 8, 2013
    Awful game and a genuine insult to the Star Wars franchise. Generic, flawed game play. Walled environments. Bland missions. Non-challenging engagements. Now with added "Pay To Play". It's not a "WoW Clone" as some have suggested, this is an insult to the tired old World of Warcraft MMO. It's a game that had VAST amounts of potential, squandered away by greed and complacency.
  94. Aug 5, 2013
    Its actual classic MMORPG with pay 2 win system. The story is good with many recognizable elements and details from SW expanded universe, you can choose your path but its will be hard if you dont behave like side you choose. Fine cutscenes where (probably for first time) you can see other players from your group in it. The game have good PVP. I personally think that SW galaxies was muchIts actual classic MMORPG with pay 2 win system. The story is good with many recognizable elements and details from SW expanded universe, you can choose your path but its will be hard if you dont behave like side you choose. Fine cutscenes where (probably for first time) you can see other players from your group in it. The game have good PVP. I personally think that SW galaxies was much better but this is not so bad either and fans of SW and MMORPGS will like it. Expand
  95. Jul 31, 2013
    Good game for 1-50 lvl. Story, voicing and characters are good and fun.
    About end-content I play many MMO and it's all the same: some dungeons to clear, some PvP gear, some something... So I don't bother about it, just clear the story and move to another game.
    After all the Good PvP can be only in high-PvP oriented games. And most of them are pay-to-win..
  96. Jul 20, 2013
    Great fun for the first playthrough. The combat response was horrible on launch as was endgame. Too much money and time was devoted to voice acting and not enough to the other areas of this WOW clone. A Star Wars MMO needs to launch with amazing space combat to set it apart. This game failed on almost every front.
  97. Jul 7, 2013
    I reviewed this in 2011, but now I'll review it again.

This game is a prison. Its somewhat addictive, but not enough to keep me away for whole weeks while still subscribing. Before they did the server swaps, the game was a ghost town. Now the servers have pops akin to what a medium pop on the old 50+ server system had. The main character storyline is good most of the time, and your
    I reviewed this in 2011, but now I'll review it again.

The main character storyline is good most of the time, and your choices do mean something. But the main story is too few and far between. The planet stories can be okay, but more often than not its bad. Sometimes, like Imperial Taris, its a sort of "anything you can do I can do better" sort of thing, which was really lame. The side quests can be cool, but usually set you up for some disappointment. The companion stories are all usually very cool, but a lot of content was seemingly cut and you can not go on their adventures. Its always a matter of "I have to do this alone."

The main story is the only thing I find enjoyable about the game, and yet one must wade through tons of sub-par content to get there. This makes the game a massive time sink. The developers intentionally forced people who enjoy a standard fair game to play with MMO diehards, WoW 'heretics' who wanted something better.

I do play MMOs, too, and have gotten to endgame PvE in WoW a few times (though I tend to prefer PvP), but this was much the same monotony from WoW. This is really EA's fault for allowing the rebel WoW community to dictate how the game was made, and yet the WoW crowd wanted something better instead of a carbon copy.

The game was better in Beta. None of the beta testers were complaining as far as I saw. The game was significantly difficult, yet people enjoyed the pace of progress. We had some disappointments, like design story decisions on the planet Taris. And then right before the game released, they changed how PvE worked. No longer hard and few fights, but lots of boring ones. Endless trash mobs instead of stuff that was fun to fight. The game changed from being a hero to being a jogger, trying to get through areas as fast as possible.

Anyway, the game is now a smoldering ruin. The cash shop model is very bad, especially the unfairly priced stuff like 'pvp tickets'. The game may be worth $20 for the game and a free month, just to see one storyline (which you may accomplish if you're dedicated). The game is boring and repetitive after your first through playthroughs, but it has its moments.

PvP is good if you're in to that, but most people aren't and utterly stink at it. The 50+ stuff is extremely gear based, which defeats all semblance of fun for anyone not geared out.

Haven't played the newest stuff, but before the expansion, the endgame content was severely lacking. Raids were short but too hard for the average player, flashpoints use the same tilesets from the earlier flashpoints (its like they assumed nobody would play the earlier ones).

All in all, the game seems like it might have changed direction in developement, and certainly did after its initial financial crisis.
  98. Jul 2, 2013
    Routinely underrated, one of the best F2P games, and one of the best Subscription Games on the market today. Awesome story telling, amazing presentation and a game that will grab you. Any score under 7 should be ignored. This one is a 9.5 game.
  99. Jun 19, 2013
    This is one of the greatest MMOs out there at the moment, a must for Star Wars fans. Only lacks if the player is not very Star Wars addicted. Overall a fantastic game with a free to play option
  100. May 31, 2013
    What was an intriguing concept proved too vast to be carried out. What was unique, fun and challenging in the beta got whined away. What this game could have been was destroyed to appeal to a "broader audience" like the millions who love Star Wars regardless were not enough.

Some of the story telling is top notch such as the Imperial Agent and the Republic Sage but some stories are truly atrocious such as the Republic Smuggler and Knight. It was too much to write essentially 8 separate stories and then wonder why no one felt like it was a MMO at the end. The PVP was AWFUL and the PVE ran out of gas at level cap.

Bioware is a competent single player game developer, but needs a LOT of help with its MMO aspirations.
  101. Dec 20, 2011
    My experience in this game has been a level 40 something imperial agent and just a myriad of other lower level everything

Okay, first thing we see in the game and this is a major bleh for me. The Character Creation. It is absolutely dreadful. Obviously its not on the level of suckiness that you see in your average F 2 P Korean Grindfest, but not by alot, especially if you've played any Bioware game in the past. There are only 4 body types for men, and they are each varying degrees of awful to meh. Theres Shape 1, which is Justin Beiber (and what is used for "kids") Shape 2 which is your average Bruce Lee build, theres Shape 3 which is Big Mc Large Huge and Shape 4 which is Lord Lard Ass. Shape 4 is absolutely awful, and for Sith Warriors, is the shape of your Master, which, if you look at his Wiki, is not how he should look at all. It makes no sense.The races are...well...everything is just "Human but" Obviously this was done for cutscenes and voices (No wookie would talk like your character) but there are still races like Togruta or Nautolan that would be fine but are not in. Chiss are pretty sweet however. There is no long hair, at best you have hair that goes down to your chin. I guess this is because it would be too graphics intensive? Complexions and Scars aren't so bad, shame you can't stack them. And yes, no sliders still, you choose predetermined faces. For a game where you spend alot of time looking at your character in cutscenes, the amount of corner cutting in CC is disappointing. It should have been one of the top five priorities. The number of unique models in this game, NPC wise is also staggeringly low.

The graphics were no doubt simplified to accommodate as many systems as possible, like World of Warcraft, I understand that. But if that is the case, why does the game, for me and so many others run like absolute crap?

It took me about 10 minutes AT LEAST to go from start up to getting my character in play. All my options are on low too. Yet I can play Skyrim and The Witcher 2 on Medium no problem. I understand its an MMO but this is just inexcusable Okay, gameplay. Know World of Warcraft? Good news! You already know how to play 85% of the game! Played KOTOR only? Bad news! Theres nothing from KOTOR in this! Its your standard MMO affair. Tanks, Heals, DPS, Burst Damage, DOT, Taunts, Rotations, ETC. If you're used to MM Os then you're in luck. It does that pretty well, although tanking as my Jedi Guardian has been a fittingly in character practice in patience. You dont get your first taunt until 15, and it has a long cool down. Your robot companion tanks better than you. The gameplay is the same tired WoW gameplay, and the game suffers big time for it.

The missions are the biggest flaw in this game. Every quest is a variation of "Go here, kill stuff along the way for bonus maybe, kill boss or interact with object" or "Collect 5 blah blah blah" with varying degrees of logic in their drops,.

All the flavor in the world, which does help a little, doesn't change the fact that is every quest. But maybe that is nit picking. Your choices in quests rarely matter as well.

Story is this game's real saving grace, and why it goes from "Mediocre MMO" to "has potential." Imperial Agent's story was a freaking blast. But after you finish all the storylines, if you even do that, what next? Endgame in this game is pretty much non existant. one mediocre raid...

And yes, Bioware continues the proud tradition of Dark Side = Stupid Evil Jerk Ass . I was hoping DS Jedi Knight would mean "Emotional and prideful" but nope, just "AHAHA LOOK HOW EVIL I AM FOR NO REASON"

One issue isevery faction goes through the same planet order. Your Bounty Hunter and Sith Warrior's planets after the first one will be the exact same, as will the quests, save for your personal quests. This will make replay value for someone like me who can't stand doing the same thing again very difficult. Also this makes the whole "KOTOR 3-11" claim bull crap. Class storylines are only 20% of the game. Everyone shares about 80%

And one of the best features I would list was removed.. Your armor could be matched to the color of whatever your chest piece was, avoiding clown armor. They removed that... All in all ,the story of this game is pretty decent, and had me hooked for the first 2 weeks. Sadly, the gameplay made it where it was a chore. I was FORCING MYSELF THROUGH GAMEPLAY for the story. Thats unacceptable for an MMO, where gameplay should always be important.

Maybe this game will improve in the future, but for now, this game is just another WoW clone, in space, with kinda cool cut scenes, and with less content. Cant search the AH, no dual speccing and respecing is EXPENSIVE. There are just so many features you should expect missing. It attempts to be like WoW, without the things that made WoW popular. It just has neat storylines. But that is all it brings to the table.

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.