5.8

1. Jul 20, 2014
    Give this game a year on tops 2 to be running, this game is still buggy but instead of fixing them, they continue to add content. Two bugs which are probably the result of bad coding are what I like to call "you can't see me" where too often your opponent or all too often your companion become invisible, so while they damaging you, you can't attack them because the game doesn't recognize them and same goes for your companion, only in their case they really become invisible so you can't heal them Expand
  2. Jul 19, 2014
    To put it simply, the game is just superb. Everything is working properly and carried out well. The stories of each class grip you firmly as they take you in to the world of star wars. Plenty of endgame material too so no need to worry about that. Really had (and still having) a blast playing this game!
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    Second best Star Wars gaming franchise made! All story lines are AWESOME! some take a while to get into them but others straight into them and never lose interest!!!!
  4. Jul 17, 2014
    This is a great game, however it has come to my attention that ever since it has become "Free to Play" it has been plagued with idiots who just can not comprehend how to play together as a team. It is so bad that the Developers made these crazy easy Flashpoints called : "Tactical Flashpoints" that do not require a tank or a healer; all this in order to accommodate the idiots into playing the game with virtually zero tactics. They ruin the atmosphere of the game with their inability to listen and communicate...

They bring the enjoyment of the game down; it makes one have to abandon flashpoints due to their lack of team play and listening.

If these are children of the future... I fear for the future... these people will never be able to do anything in life without being told step by step... they have absolutely no sense of creativity or critical thinking skills. Heaven forbid the day they become "voters."

I like this game but... right now I enjoy playing Fifa 14 on "Legendary" setting more...
  5. Jul 7, 2014
    I heard about this game several years ago, but I didn't try it since 2014. I was a bit disappointed by the fact that the game is a huge mass of gigabytes, around 25, but I cannot blame BioWare. It took me around a day to have the entirely one. And, the gameplay is nice, polished let's say, but the basic combat is a bit poor. At least the skills contribute to the gameplay. I like the plot, very much and the companions; this is great all in all. I played until level 17, because the game caused me lots of crashes on computer and I saw this is an internal problem that, I hope they will fix it within the new EP, Galactic Strongholds. The world is polished, very nice and I like there is a lot of content and worlds to go to. Well, the items are expressive and I like they have style. I don't know what to say more, but I bet; even this is the first MMO of BioWare/EA, they did a great job and I disagree the negative impresses of other players. I know there are several imperfections, but I am sure there is no another one like this. Congrats BioWare, I am waiting for the new update! Expand
  6. Jul 6, 2014
    I was so excited to be able to play this game with my upgraded computer only to be highly disappointed in its presentation. It plays exactly like WoW, which, to me, is a boring and outdated game experience. The characters and their animations are laughable, as well as the graphics which look pre-2005. And it runs at horrible framerates with lagging and disappearing. If they are running this game at such low resolution, I don't understand why they're having this problem. Of all the MMOs out there, this one is the ugliest and plays the worse. This game looks and plays worse than the beloved KOTOR from 2004, so why is it being touted as a game today? Because EA wants to cash in on the MMO market, but like everything they touch, turns to dry dust. No excuse to make this bad of a Star Wars game. Why anyone would pay a subscription to play this is beyond me. Expand
  7. Jun 20, 2014
    It is definitely a great game. The combat system is out of date but there is no denying that the voice over and story is top notch. If they would just update the combat system this game would be a real contender.
  8. Jun 9, 2014
    Just like all biowar games of the 200s - its a great story and a "meh" game. Played to level 39 and just couldn't do it anymore. You've already played this game. It was called Wow and it was better at release in 20004 than this game is now. The only thing it really has going for it is: 1. Star Wars 2. Story If you want to just play the story once, feel free. It's not bad. But, as an MMO, its not at all worth my money or time. Expand
  9. May 29, 2014
    There is an enormous amount of content in this game and gameplay is always fun. They did a really well job. There are negative views about this game as the E3 trailer was spectacular and people believed that this game would be something beyond the current generation of games.
  10. May 26, 2014
    Summary... OK as an MMO. Diabolical support from staff that don't care. I pre ordered Collectors edition to support the game and still had to beg on twitter to get early access(that was advertised). Now everyone can get the "exclusive" in game items for £3. DO NOT BUY CARTEL COIN CURRENCY. I bought some cartel coins to support the game thinking I would not be shafted twice but I was wrong. Broken item was not refunded as expected and so I cancelled subscription. They just don't want my money and ignored me until my subscription expired. Currently unable to talk to them so will have to pay £8 for 30 days of being ignored or just go directly to my bank for refund. DO NOT SPEND ANY MONEY ON THIS GAME. I'm bitter so I will go around review sites repeating do not buy into the Free-To-Play model that destroyed a semi decent MMO. Expand
  11. May 13, 2014
    I am only reviewing this from the subscription experience, I do not recommend this MMO as a free to play game but it's an excellent subscription MMORPG. I've been a subscriber for almost 3 months and I love it and I'm still playing it on a regular basis, there is so much depth to Star Wars: The Old Republic, what completely sold me on this game is the quests and story and I'm a really big Star Wars fan, so your choices affect whats going to happen next you can be good or bad but each choice may very likely come with consequences and affect the players story. The music is wonderful and stays true to Star Wars, the graphics are a little bit cartoonish but Bioware has said so it doesn't look dated in 4 years and I'd say it's aged really well so far. The choices for PVP has grown lately Bioware is constantly updating SWTOR with more PVP, story, and expansions.

I've been playing MMORPGs for 14 years and I've never playing anything like SWTOR that really got me into the game and addicted and not often enough can a game do that, SWTOR is simply fun I actually have fun and a good time while playing this, it doesn't feel grindy and I always can't wait to get to the next quest, I mostly like SWTOR because of the role playing. So don't judge this game by the free to play experience if your willing to shell out some cash for the subscription it's worth it, subscribers get more experience and that alone is worth it.

I highly recommend Star Wars: The Old Republic.
  12. May 10, 2014
    The only thing this game has going for itself is the class story questlines. Some of them are decent, while others are meh. Other than that, it's a waste of money. It's simply amazing how can devs keep a game like this alive by simply milking their unsuspecting fanbase of drones. There is so many wrongs in this game that I won't bother listing here because its pretty much everywhere. EA should be ashamed to dump so much money (over 200-300 million dollars I think) on this pile of garbage. I think they are still trying to break even. Expand
  13. Apr 21, 2014
    i liked the game and pre-ordered it like loads of people, i love the missions and quests and story along with each, it gets a 4 mainly for going free to play, for not having that great of PVP, for the houses and space combat being a joke, i like having my ship be my house but that limits me creating the space into something unique, star war galaxies, and rift i could/can buy something and make the inside something no one else has, also flying freely through space would have been much better, no those arcade missions which were fun but no where near as fun and free space could have been, if they ever make enough money again and start adding those features, then i will start up my account again and probaly even pay for it again, since i was willing to do so in the 1st place and hate free to play stuff cuz everything is so limited, makes me think they will never add anything awesome to it again. forgot to add i had a level 50 sith sorcerer, so and made 6 other characters, next highest was 30-40 commando, so i played the game plenty before i judged it. Expand
  14. Apr 16, 2014
    Worst MMORPG in existence. I love Star Wars, but for the sake of your wallet do not buy this game. If you're a hardcore/competitive player – whether you PvP, PvE, or both – just do not buy this game. It's the worst.
  15. Apr 7, 2014
    Overall its fairly obvious that this is a good MMO game. Yes, there are some minor tweaks needed, but overall I would give this an 9. If you are not a star wars type this still may be a good game for you.
  16. Mar 22, 2014
    Lovely game.I had a great experience playing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  17. Mar 11, 2014
    its a lot better than it used to be it has a lot more content there's more flashpoints and operations plus the story is grand . i recamend playing it now
  18. Mar 6, 2014
    Sadly this game had great potential but the ball was dropped on so many levels that it just ended up being an average MMO.MMO is Massively Multi-player Online, If you are not familiar with these types of games. Usually RPG's with several thousand players. I played till cap with 2 other members from my family. I played pretty much all classes on both sides. I played this game when it first came out, you had to pay for the game and pay for the subscription each month. The game fell quickly from it's pay to play hopes. Falling faster than any AAA MMO that I know of, to the failed Free to play realm MMO's. Especially for one designed to be a AAA pay to play MMO. And which is probably one of the most expensive MMO's ever made. Because of it's high expectations, and high development cost most MMO fans consider this game an epic failure.

This was because the game was spun by the PR people at EA to be 3-10 of the KOTOR series. As a sequel to the Knights of the Old Republic games this game fails epically. The game does not even come close to delivering the story, the mini games or replayablitiy, of the KOTOR series.

However, if you were looking for an average MMO, with no real ties to the KOTOR series and was set in the Star Wars universe, set way before the Star Wars stories, that is super easy to play. Then this might be the game for you.

As far as MMO's go, SWTOR seems to be very weak and buggy on it's PVP. The PVE story is fine and the classes are interesting enough. It has a on "rails" space ship mission series that is an okay mini game. And the game is very soloable for an MMO. The graphics, playability, UI, and everything about the game are average at best for an MMO.

The only thing to make this different from any other MMO is it's class story instances. It tried to copy choices meaning something from the KOTOR series but fails epically. In the end people just choose all light or dark side choices to get sets of gear. Neutral choices actually punish you, as there was no neutral gear rewards when I played. But in truth the only thing that makes this game unique in MMO's is it's based in the Star Wars universe. And sadly, Star Wars Galaxies was a Star Wars MMO that was much more loved than SWTOR was. SWTOR forced SWG out, only because George Lucas only gave the rights to the Star Wars Universe to one real MMO at a time. So SWG had to have it's plug pulled. Thus SWTOR is the only Star Wars MMO standing by virtue of a newer more lucrative pay out to Lucas. Not because it was a better game.

But in the end it is very disappointing because this game was supposed to be multiple sequels to the KOTOR series, and just doesn't even come close to being half as fun or have the replayability of the single player and much older KOTOR series of games.

Though I have to rate the game fairly. And as an MMO it is average at best. And that is in the very run of the mill World of Warcraft rip off theme park MMO's category. Which makes it very generic. Honestly the game had huge potential, but ended up being just another face in the crowd, of what most consider failed MMO's. Forced into the niche and free 2 play market, way before it's time. Because EA didn't even come close to delivering the KOTOR MMO in a Star Wars universe they promised.
  19. Feb 28, 2014
    What ruins this game is fight and action. The interface or background during fight is awful. Doesn't matter if you play pve or pvp. Besides that, the cinematic was very nice. Graphics is better when we zoom in. I liked the innovation and different style. A lot of idea. Different from others MMO and WoW. Some people will like this game.

Good things : story lines, cinematic, graphics
    (zoom in), sound, no need for classic quests

less : game play, fight, action, movement, background, skills interface, too mush dialog

Game play : 3/10 , Graphics 6/10, Background 6/10, Lifetime 6/10, Sound 7/10
  20. Feb 27, 2014
    I have only ever had a great time playing this game which is set in my favorite era, the dialog was great to have because i could define my own character and i wouldn't have to be an evil Sith, i could be a good Sith or neutral.
    Favorite story for me was both the Jedi Knight and Sith inquisitor. The Jedi Knights story was so good because it was a large scale threat you were dealing with
    which made every step more intense plus the companions for the Jedi Knight are so good, like Kira and Doc (tied 1st on my favorite companions list) because they were so well scripted. The Sith Inquisitors story i found was bad from level 1-15 because it was you just running small tasks, but at the end when yo met the ghost and he beat the hell out of you (not as bad as you think) it then starts to get interesting, but after chapter 1 when you start to bind with ghosts it to interesting not to play.
    The only bad things i found in the game where some of the stories, like the bounty hunters, the dialog isn't that bad but the story all together just seemed a bit rushed (and in my option the Bounty hunter and smuggler should of had a faction of there own due to the fact that they are a neutral party) the only other story that i find the most boring is the Jedi Consular, it's so boring (i'm doing a fallen Jedi Consular and i'm dragging myself along because it feels that bland)

Revan is the god of Star wars
  21. Feb 24, 2014
    This game does quite a few things quite well. Story-telling being on of them. It feels friendly and welcoming and it has its own unique style and setting. I spent many hours having loads of fun. I leveled few characters to level 30-40. I was never into end-game content in this game, because it wasn't what I played it for. See this game or as a Mass Effect game with MMO features. That is what it feels like. And it is not so bad as you may think. Leveling is the real deal here, not the end game content. The story telling is pretty cool too. The MMo formula based on grind is still present, but it is elegantly packed into cut-scenes and dialogue and it is also flexible. Most of the "kill X of Y" quests are optional and are progressed/finished authomatically as you go. I expected more of this MMO. I expected it to be much more open, but it still is a good one. Expand
  22. Feb 23, 2014
    Bottom line(at the top): This is a solid and polished MMO with a good amount of content. PROS: Fully voiced npc's and quests. The volume and quality of content is high Great atmosphere High population/good support/decent lfg Instanced PvP including space ship battles Very little grinding/fast leveling if you subscribe You can play the game like a single player game if you want. This is KOTOR 3.

6 distinct storylines

Highly replayable as a different character class/alignment/faction

CONS:
    In your face if you don't spend money

Slower leveling if you don't sub

If you don't like Star Wars, the setting will appeal less to you.

If you don't like MMOs, this is still an MMO

Non-cutting edge graphics(the game still looks pretty darn good)

You start playing another MMO and wonder why you aren't playing SWTOR.
  23. Feb 21, 2014
    Uninteresting, your choices mean nothing. I was excited for this game to come out, but quickly realized what a mistake that was. A $15 sub fee for almost ZERO content or bug fixes, but lo and behold they're working on a robust nickel and dime F2P for even more money, and guess what comes out then? Everything. Everything they can nickel and dime you with is on the store, things they refused to put out or make when it was a P2P game.

But more about the game: The PvP is horribly unbalanced, it always has been. The developers seem incompetent and unable to make proper fixes.

The free to play is lacking: EVERYTHING COSTS MONEY, EVEN TO SUBSCRIBERS. THERE IS ALMOST NO POINT TO BEING A SUBSCRIBER BECAUSE IT STILL COSTS MONEY AFTER THE SUB. This is completely asinine to me.

The story, well, the story. Any choice you make in the story has no consequence. Kill the guy or don't kill the guy. The jedi next to you will still be like: "cool, let's go." I mean, wtf. I just murdered this dude, there blood all over you. It's like this the whole game, no matter what you do, you just go to the same part of the quest as the other choices with the same dialogue. It sucks.
  24. Feb 6, 2014
    This game somehow passed me by and only just got into it. There's a huge amount to do and progression so far feels natural, no feeling of grinding away at all. The newly added space battles are also great.

This is a great MMO and a worthy follow-up to KOTOR 1 & 2
  25. Feb 5, 2014
    Story, characters, companions. This game is amazing because it brings Bioware tradition of deep stories into the mmorg market. It does revolutionary stuff and feels as a great addition to the Kotor saga. It's a must play, at least for the 8 class storylines (adding there the companion stories) and the 2 faction story lines [which all this now are free, so there you have it ;) ]
  26. Jan 21, 2014
    Played this game for the first six months when it was still subscription based. Decided to take a look today at how things are and it looks like a freaking thai market with all the cartel coins requirements to get your game to actually work as a real game. This game is anything else but free to play. They managed to disgrace this game. When it launched it surely had a chance to grow, now its just another company milking its fanatic star wars fanbase. Once again, EA managed to run another of their games into the ground. What a waste. Expand
  27. Jan 10, 2014
    SW: TOR is ultimately a disappointment. It’s not going to satisfy the hardcore MMO player and single player gamers are not going to want to continually pay the sub or microtransaction fees the game requires to progress. It was a good attempt at making a hybrid genre RPG but suffers from a few critical failures.

I’ll admit that I have enjoyed playing this game a great deal and have sunk
    more hours into it than I care to admit. I played through the stories of five different classes to reach max level and enjoyed them all. If you plan out your characters’ crafting trees, you can have some fun with making your own gear and keep your weapons & armor stocked with strong mods, which makes leveling much less of a grind.

As someone who mainly prefers single player games, I liked the mix of the MMO elements. I never felt required to group up with other players, but you can reap rewards in tougher areas if you do. I liked the companions, dialogue choices and side missions, as well. If you love Star Wars and the original Old Republic games, you’ll love the narratives for these characters, made all the more interesting by being able to pick light or dark side choices as you play. My Sith Sorcerer, for example, was actually kind of a nice guy.

PvP was an absolute blast in this game, too. When it first released and they had way too many servers and not enough people, it quickly got terrible due to unbalanced population pools. Once they consolidated the servers, though, it came back better than ever. PvP is where I’d typically gain the bulk of my leveling XP to avoid having to do the same PvE sidequests I’d already done on one or two other characters. I’m surprised to say that it never got old. It was always fun to force leap & stun someone in Huttball right as they were crossing the last fire pit to the goal :)

Unfortunately, the poorly implemented MMO side catches up before long. For me it is the totally lifeless environments. They are so big and many look nice, yet there is almost nothing to do in them. For example, there is a gigantic casino in one world whose only purpose is for you to visit briefly for a cutscene if your chosen class story requires it. Why not have some sort of gambling system in place to let players win (or lose) in-game currency? Why not have some adaptation of Pazaak, the card game from earlier KOTOR games? And there is no social hub to speak of. There are cantinas and things but again, nothing to do there, so nobody is ever around. What happens is that most people end up congregating around the PvP area in the faction HQ and wandering around in circles or AFKing, waiting for the queue to pop.

Then there’s the ruthless implementation of the F2P model, which crushed everything I liked about the game. I get that they have to make money but my problem is that if you were an original customer who bought the game and paid sub fees for several months, you get no reward for that. You still have to purchase “cartel coins” to buy an unlock (or pay more sub fees) simply to show your head gear or have more than one quickbar to use, the same as any schlub who DL’d the game for free yesterday. That stings.

There is a fun game lurking inside SW: TOR, but you have to claw through several layers of frustration & hidden fees to find it. And if you want a "real" MMO, you won't find it here. I have some good memories of time spent playing this game and I would like to play through the remaining stories I didn’t experience yet, but I’m done spending money on it. There are too many other games out there with one-time fees I can play.
  28. Dec 29, 2013
    I've never seen a company take such an amazing game and run it straight into the ground so quickly.

When the game was purely subscription based it was great. Now it's unplayable. You can't take five steps without running into some cheap attempt at getting the player to buy "Cartel Coins". I'm talking about basic functionality, like hiding your character's helmet. Anything you may have
    earned beforehand is now held from you and unavailable unless you unlock specifically that one thing with "Cartel Coins"

Way to kill a great thing, guys.
  29. Dec 16, 2013
    One of the best MMO's around the graphics are awesome and the interaction within the NPC's just destroys the competition. The Heroics, War Zones both ground and space and new Flashpoints make this game too much fun not to mention all the monthly activities the game has. But DO NOT do free 2 play I REPEAT DO NOT be a Free 2 play player. The game is crazy limited for "F2P" players but being a subscriber it's a whole different game. As a subscriber since launch there is just no other way to play and enjoy this awesome experience. Expand
  30. Dec 16, 2013
    I love this game so much. Let me say first, I played WoW for a bit when it came out, but never really got into it. So I'm pretty much a total MMORPG newbie. But 2 weeks ago I gave The Old Republic finally a try, and ever since then I'm having a hard time explaining to my girlfriend why all she hears from my side of the room are *woosh* *woosh* sounds (that's supposed to be a lightsaber sound
  31. Dec 15, 2013
    If you're planning on being an sub the whole time, go ahead. The storyline is neat (it could use some improvement, but it is better then in the most MMO's), gameplay isn't too bad... it's worth your money if you've got the time for it. It easily deserves an 7-8 at least.
    If you're planning on going F2P: STAY AWAY! You'll get nickle-and-dimed every second, and no amount of Cartel Coins
    will make this go away. While sure, you can play the storylines for free, the amount of grinding necessary at later levels is absurd (from level 20+ you're getting an 25% XP penalty!) and the amount of restrictions and 'in-your-face-you're-not-an-sub-thus-not-an-customer'-moments is close to being spiteful of you. There's way too much to say about the F2P option... and with Rise of the Hutt Cartel (the expansion, which you'll need to buy at €17/$20 as F2P-player while subs get it free!) it has become even worse. For the F2P-option I can give an 3, max. Stay. Away. Expand
  32. Dec 13, 2013
    Another mindless WOW clone wannabe. instead of sticking to their strong sides like KOTOR1 and such they go on and copy whatever is goes on the market right now throwing all their integrity for quick buck, well guess what lucas, your clone sucks, all you ever had was the old games which were quality made and you trying to take a market with whole new audiance just puts you in a lame position. im sure you can see how this game fails in sales maybe it will teach you a lesson. Expand
  33. Dec 11, 2013
    Excellent MMO game. Enjoyable endgame, the new Space Combat is very fun, and the storylines are very well written.. Character customization could admittedly be better, and the restrictions for Free-to-Play members can be rough. But, if you enjoy Star Wars, endgame Raiding, space combat, or games with a story, you won't regret spending time with SWTOR.
  34. Dec 8, 2013
    I've not played to the endgame where the real issues arose, from what I've heard. But I thought the various class choices were fantastic in how they varied and filled roles. I enjoyed the story and the tension that was there with the Empire vs Republic struggle. The cutscenes brought the questing to a personal level that I enjoyed, though I believe they could have reduced the number of them. The personal ship and personal relationship with your crew is great (much like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, etc). Looking forward to the Starfighter expansion. Expand
  35. Dec 5, 2013
    I never got too far in this game. I really wanted to like it, but the pacing is very slow, combat seems to be boring, and I didn't find many interesting items to write home about until I paid for the subscription, in which case, they were simply handed to me. I ended up buying Guild Wars 2 a week into the bored-to-death grindfest, and had a much better overall experience.

The Story is
    actually interesting, I wish i could powerhouse through the grind to see some of the interesting story elements play out, but I simply hated the slow drudgery of the game's pacing. Expand
  36. MrZ
    Dec 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MMO wise, this game is solid. If you enjoy Star Wars, even better! However, if you were a fan of the original KOTORs, then this game is a let down. Although it has many interesting features, it truly is as some would say a "WoW clone." Bioware had promised something that they couldn't deliver. They preached it would alter the MMO scene. This never really caught on. The worst is what they did to Revan. He goes mad and dies an unsatisfactory death in one of the flashpoints. It truly was saddening. But, if you enjoy MMOs, I guess that you could manage to like this game. I still play it simply because I am a Star Wars fan and because I enjoy MMOs. Expand
  37. Nov 25, 2013
    Engine performance, meh. Graphics and level design, bland. Planets, small and linear no day night cycle. Mob AI, atrocious. Speeders are as fast as wheelchairs. No space sim like SWG had. Story, decent but nothing special. Overall, meh.
  38. Nov 13, 2013
    Worst MMORPG in existence. I love Star Wars, but for the sake of your wallet do NOT buy this game. If you're a hardcore player, whether you PvP, PvE or both, just do NOT buy this game. It's the worst.
  39. Nov 12, 2013
    Fantastic mmo with great story, customization, worlds to explore and constantly adding free content in addition to free expansions. While some can mock it's free to play policies, you can play mas effect style quality story for 8 separate classes with all unique characters and stories that are deep...for free. The gameplay is great, it looks great, and it's a blast to play.
  40. Nov 2, 2013
    Exciting but as you go further to the game it's getting boring. I love star wars but this is not a game that can remind you the movies. Play it if you want, but do not have high expectations.
  41. Oct 27, 2013
    I have played various of MMO games and to be honest this game just blew my mind. It offers 8 different character stories were you get to pick decisions very like the original games instead your character actually has a voice. The combat is still fun even if it's on the same engine as star trek online (which is also good). I guess people don't like this game because of Reven being in the game or they think that it's another wanna be world of Warcraft which in my opinion became a pile of crap. In all the game is enjoyable for any star wars fan especially those who played the original knights of the old republic games. Expand
  42. Oct 24, 2013
    I've been playing this game since launch. It's pretty much Star wars WoW. I like it. and love SW. It has a great storyline and the graphics a good too. Only reason it doesn't get a 10 from me is you pay to play. They have a free to play option now though.If your a fan of MMO's and Star wars... Get this..
  43. Oct 20, 2013
    I want to start saying that I barely played this game completely: I wasn't able to reach level cap and I wasn't able to do much of stuff or test anything. Infact, this lack of playing is why I wanted to review: I never played this game when it was released (I was never a fan of Star Wars) so my experience is mainly from a f2p perspective. And as a f2p, this is by far one of the worst I ever played. It has almost EVERYTHING locked or limited for a f2p player so many that I can't even start mentioning it would take all the characters for this review, however for few examples we have: no bank, no inventory expansion, limited access to loot from "instances" (or flash points), limited access to pvp, limited amount of money you can have, no rested exp, limited customization for your character (only 3 races available, you can't show your titles or take off your helmet, limited amount of emotes), also your spend much more for doing simple things and have other limitations in communications (you can't whisper or trade), and my favourite: skill bars limited to two.
    In other words, this is why I made this review: SWTOR potentially turns off anyone who dares to get closer and, unless you have lots of money, you'll suffer from anything because "you have to unlock". Sure it's not impossible to play as a free player and it's not entirely unplayable. But then...why do I have to play it? I know better f2p games that do limitations but are more than affordable and at least won't drive you crazy for every single limitations they will give you; my guess is because it's Star Wars and so for those who love the lore, the atmosphere, the universe itself will just want to enter for feeling like a true Jedi. Infact I dare to say the game itself IS good, although it doesn't innovate: it plays like World of Warcraft (almost literally) which means that if you despise WoW, this game is already not for you, but for the rest is actually interesting and even if I don't mind the SW universe I wanted to get into it. But the limitations just turns me off everytime and I'm sorry if I might be unfair: if you want to play a good f2p, really, look somewhere else since unless you pay a subscription (which is somewhat better considering all of the little stuff you have to buy, you can easily reach a subscription fee every month). If you want a good Star Wars game, maybe this will do despite the limitations. I just couldn't appreciate it to the fullest.
    PS: if you're willing to subscribe, give it a 7-8.
  44. Oct 20, 2013
    SWTOR is pretty good. Despite that: This game is, was and may forever be, the BIGGEST failure, the BIGGEST disappointment, and the BIGGEST lost opportunity in the history of Game design up to this point. I'm not saying that what we got at publication, or what they have patched it up to now is bad. Its not. the problem with SWTOR is what it could and should have been. What it failed to be. The budget was there but the vision was lacking. For those of us who saw the first Star Wars movie in the cinema back in 1977 This IP was a life changing influence in the same way as Tolkein was in the field of literature. We all know how George Lucas had a gift for failing with Star Wars, for wrecking things, or rubbing the luster off it. But Bioware had a good track record of doing Star Wars well. KOTOR 1 and 2 were great. Mass Effect, though a unique IP showed that the Canadians were capable of great things here. So WTF happened? My guess is they played it way too safe, and tried to copy WOW as closely as possible with a few fatal dashes too many of Bioware's legendary (And in this case diasterous) 'STORYTELLING'.! Hey guys a little advice after the barn has burned down: GAMERS WANT TO WRITE THEIR OWN FACKING STORIES! We don't want to get dragged around like marionettes on strings you pull, or strapped into chairs of the scenic railroads you lay for us! We want to be the heroes of the story in our own terms! SWTOR could have ignored WOW. It could have got a few ideas from EVE and X3, heaps of inspiration from the best of the movies and then a glorious freewheeling sandbox in a galaxy, where you can play any of dozens of races, on dozens of planets explore the galaxy and pursue any numbers of skill sets developing the kind of hero you wanted to be. Luke Skywalker had a thing for droids remember! We could have all been free to develop all sorts of fun non-combat skills for the purposes of ROLE PLAYING. Eventually, after many adventures in many places the players might even have got introduced to the force, or its dark side and found the option to choose to become a Jedi knight or a Sithe warrior. Sadly that was all to 1995 for Bioware. This game offered ZERO EXPLORATION. ZERO meaningful race choice, near ZILCH in character development. Near NOTHING in player choice. You start off affiliated to one of two factions, and well on your way to mastery of skills which in the lore of Star Wars were supposed to be rare and special. Bioware designed a game, and planned for a situation where there would be literally millions of high level Jedi's and Sithe running around! A mad dream that has nothing to do with Star Wars lore. Built without vision, this game fails to impress where it should. It suffers a Bioware malaise: No sense of place. Each area you go to is a sterile set, where you plod about waiting to be cued on a conveyer belt to your next fixed 'plot point'. You don't become a bounty hunter or anything in this game by trial and error, by wandering about and earning the membership rights to a skill set. Instead you make a single choice with character creation that then becomes a RAILROAD OF SUBSEQUENT non choices. Which can also be described, when you think about it (as I so capably do) THE ANTITHESIS OF ROLEPLAYING. What some of the targets of these reviews need to understand is that I was designing games at a professional level at the age of 16, back in 1982. I'm not blowing bubbles out of my arse. The game still scores 6/10 because it has plenty of fun content. You can't burn $300 million without getting nice assets, animations, sincere efforts, good voice acting and a lot of good content, which this game DOES offer. It's pretty well a game everyone should look into when it goes free to play. it may even get patched up enough to earn a green score. I hope so. But it will always be too late. SWTOR cannot now become the masterpiece it should have been. When they set aside the budget for this game, it was a grand chance to be daring and to redefine role playing forever. What we got instead was a boring version of WOW in space. Lost in Space, where is that robot waving its arms crying "warning, warning"? TOO LATE.

Orctowngrot
  45. Oct 19, 2013
    The old republic is a really good mmo and the thing that holds it back is the BS free to play restriction
    Pros: the gameplay is really good, the differences in the story between the classes, choices are cool, contains some of the elements I liked about mass effect and dragon age while doing enough to make itself it's own game, being a Jedi or a sith is extremely fun, dialogue options from
    mass effect return, the cinematics are solid and the graphics get the job done
    Cons: after you reach level 10 unless you subscribe you get less exp points, fetch quests, some annoyingly powerful boss fights where they have just a sliver of health less then you die and need to start over (I must have fought tarnis a billion times) free to play restrictions really annoy me
    So since this is free to play now I suggest you play it (if someone says it's too much like world of Warcraft, So WHAT WoW is awesome) if your a Star Wars fan play it, if your a bio ware fan play it or even if your just a mmo fan you should play it
  46. Oct 14, 2013
    Truly amazing. An online gaming experience that can be played as a group experience or as an individual self contained story. Bioware rewards subscribers, but the core experience remains even for free to play players. The star here is the individual well written and rewarding stories for each playable class. There are interesting and not-too repetitive (it's an mmo, repetition is part of the genre) missions. Further, players are rewarded for interacting with other players and for exploration. Any problems are minor. The only true frustration is how difficult the optional datacrons can be to obtain. In earnest, this is the best MMO I've ever attempted. Expand
  47. Oct 8, 2013
    I did have fun playing this game as I do like Star Wars Lore and do prefer solo-ing MMOs unless I have to group up. Thus this may not be a game for everyone if you like the more MMO aspects of it. I have a feeling EA and Bioware were trying to be greedy in targeting both sets of audiences and charging a premium for it.

Story: Was decent with the voice acting and the quests seem to try
    and tie into the main story a lot better than some other MMOs I played. It's a bit weak at times, but not bad for an MMO.

Gameplay: I like the variety of skills that you can choose to use on your toolbar or expanded toolbar, BUT the animations do not link very well with the key press and the cooldowns are all over the place. Combat seemed to be just punching buttons and hoping for the best. IF the key presses matched the animations, it would have been okay.

Sounds and video were decent. Sometimes a bit glitchy. I would say the gameplay is a bit slow, it takes forever to get past the initial hold your hand levels and I found travelling to be slow, even when I had a speeder. Was surprised to find so much voice acting in an MMO, a nice bioware touch.

Found classes and character limitation to be a bit limiting. Though it was kind of cool that each character had a distinct story (sadly not very customizeable) but quite deep good effort.

Recommend this game if you have patience, are a Star Wars fan and prefer solo PVE. Else, pass.

Not worth buying at all since the core of the game has some problems.
  48. Oct 2, 2013
    I played the game from launch until the release of the hutt cartel. At the point that the hutt cartel was released I managed to get all classes to 50 4 on republic and 4 on the imperial side. This game promised a lot of great things a story driven mmo, the greatest pvp experience ever made by the"greatest pvp team". Needless to say what we got was nothing more than pure disappointment. The game was clearly rushed, it was visible by the quality and extensiveness of the content we had. I wont touch on bugs as it is something which is common the launch of many mmos, the only critique on that part is that there were bugs and balance issues which were pointed out during open beta that still carried over and remained in the live game for over an year.

On the PVE front we only had 2 end game operations with a unfair and bad designed loot drop system where many times a group would get useless drops which could not be used at all by any member of the raid. This was the case for the first 3 months and it was improved upon very on the course of a year.

On the PVP side of the game, the open pvp area had to be shutdown after being redesigned not even a month after release, due to a system which was unprepared to deal with unbalaced numbers of players on each side. What remained of pvp was the so called war zones only 3 for over 6 months, which had no match making system and constatly put premade groups over pug groups which be a source of great frustration for everyone, premades wouldnt get the challenge they wanted and ppugs would never have a chance of winning a match. They tried to remedy this issue with a ranked match system, which completely falied as the rewards were not substantial enough to keep premade groups interested in it.

The most frustrating thing about the PVP aspect of this game though, is class balance. Not because there is no balance, but due to the lack of active develop spent on it, at some point the game remained broken for over 7 months without a fix to the balance issue, which was basically that a class could take over 50% to up to 5 players with 1 move, in some cases depending on the gear and class difference and that would go upwards to 90-100% of damage. Needless to say pvp in this game was unplayable and frustrating for this period of time.

This lack of balance was only addressed on the release of the hutt cartel, which still did very little to remedy the situation and that class still remains the top damage dealing class on pvp on the game.

The only reason left to play the game was the personal story arc for each main class of the game, which ranked from ok, to quite intesting.

However after the game went into free to play mode, the focus on the game changed from a story driven mmo to a mini market driven one. The worst kind of market in fact, where many items that should have been unlocked by completing story arcs in the game were moved to lottery boxes, which in some case you had to buy quite a lot of in order to get the item you wanted, EVEN if you had an active subscription.

Needless to say that at this point it was obvious that the mistakes made during launch and development were too great to be remedy as for example using an unfinished version of the 3rd party engine and this game became a cash-in game for EA.

I finally decided to leave the game after the disappointment that The hutt cartel was, which created artificial caps on how much you could progress on the game, no matter how many characters you had.

In short, this game is nothing more than pure disappointment for me I saw it deforming from what could be a AAA story driven mmo into a cash-in theme park mmo with an unreasonable market place system that seriously injured the game.

It baffles me that anyone could give this game a score of over 50%.
  49. Sep 18, 2013
    Has great story and fun to play with friends. It is still better to be a subscriber but can do a lot of the game for free. Have leveled up a few characters and done as many quests as I can and still end up under leveled sometimes. Has a bit of challenge to it but is best for the story. Can be tedious at times and difficult by yourself. Best played with a group and not taken very seriously.
  50. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the best MMO I have played. I love the story part of the game. I do not play PvP. I play with a small group of friends and enjoy this game a lot.
  51. Sep 5, 2013
    That's not star wars...
    It's just a rpg with laser sabre.
    Very very boring...
    I had the courage to level up to lvl 50 and hop bye bye the poorly crapy cartoony game.
  52. Sep 3, 2013
    This is one of the most disappointing games I have ever played. After playing KOTOR 1 and 2 several times, I heard about this and was so excited. Even finding out it was going to be an MMO I was still excited. Then the game was finally released, I found out that it was a subscription game, so I held off until it was free, and I did. So I played it. It starts out good, but after the first few times of leveling up, you get very bored with the game. I mean, somehow this 2011 game looks worse than KOTOR 1 which came out in 2003 if I'm not mistaken. The gameplay lacks and is way too easy. And the plot, while interesting and amazing, is predictable, only once or twice was I surprised by the story out of my nearly thousand hours of playing. While there is still that choice of what you want to say, it all turns out the same on the ending of the quests. But I do have one good thing which saves this game from being a negative review, and that is the loot. The loot, while sometimes being wasted time, is usually very rewarding. I could only recommend this game to one type of person. The die-hard Star Wars fans. Expand
  53. Aug 30, 2013
    The worst of all games. I have played too many games in my life but this one was the worst game I've ever played. The Star Wars movies though are very good and epic but this game is a big CRAP!!!!!!
  54. Aug 26, 2013
    [4.9] It may be that I'm not a fan of MMO's, but Knights of the Old Republic seemed exceptionally dull, and extremely disorganized. It was much more trouble than it was an enjoyable role-playing experience. I'm a fan of most of BioWare's works, but this game was repetitive, frustrating, and was not rewarding whatsoever. It was a mostly empty gaming experience.
  55. Aug 25, 2013
    This game suffers from a gamebreaking issue the Free 2 Play model it uses. Now, the game can be easily dismissed as a WoW clone (which it is) with some Star Wars twists thrown into the mix. I got to play the game for about 2 days and all I can say is this: it is boring as hell and it is frustrating as well. Why is it frustrating? Well, where do I start: - Do you want to do anything in this game beyond running around like a fool? Pay us money.
    - Do you want to display a useless title near your name? Pay us money.
    - Do you want to play certain instances more than once every 100 years? Pay us money.

EA wants your money for basically everything you do. Today I received an item in a quest which was, I kid you not, just something that said "Become a subscriber today!" and then disappeared. What the hell EA? You money-hungering, greedy bastards. Why can't you follow a successful model like the one League of Legends, World of Tanks, Guild Wars 2 (and many others) use? There are only 2 big MMOs that still use the subscription model WoW and EVE Online (where you can actually extend your subscription using the in-game currency).
    I got news for you, EA: your MMO is never going to succeed.
    Instead of delivering on their promised KOTOR3 or maybe an actual fun, interesting MMO that doesn't try to rip you off every time you open your inventory, they made this Silly BioWare and EA.

After all, you can't spell "Steal" without EA.
  56. Aug 25, 2013
    Game is awesome for people interested in an actual story where you have actual interaction with NPCs instead of just blankly accepting quests without even reading. One of the best MMORPG I've played.
  57. Aug 24, 2013
    If you care about PvP, class balance or even top PvE content this is the worst game you can imagine. Incredibly bad balance across the board, out of touch developers and developers who as of now even insults it's own playerbase. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

If you like to buy fluffy stuff for real life money, then maybe this is for you.
  58. Aug 20, 2013
    I used to rate this game a 3 roughly a year and a half ago, now I want to rate this game again at a higher score.

Don't get me wrong; it absolutely deserves a 3 when it first came out. Game was insanely buggy and unstable, has awful performance issues and the design team was retarded.

Well, was. At least they are learning things. New PvE dungeons are not bad and casual PvP has always
    been like that. It is at least stable now.

The cosmetic cash shop is well designed and really caters to the Kotor fantasy of the players. Quite unfortunately it is built on a F2P system that is not quite pay to win, but very annoying.

The major problem of this game now is that its updates are very, very, very slow. You'll likely get through all content of a patch quickly if you are playing anywhere near regularly, and the next patch won't get there in like forever.
  59. Aug 11, 2013
    Star Wars: The Old Republic™ is an extraordinary good game and a revolutionary new addition to the mmo genre, uhm Doritos™. It's combat is an incredible Dew that really shines in the Mountain Dew™ environment. I really love money. So yea buy this game if you love Mountain Dew™ and Doritos™
  60. Aug 10, 2013
    This game has so many great ingredients: Star Wars, MMO, Bioware, the Old Republic Lore (rather then whiny, badly written George Lucas stuff). However, once the awe has washed away the impression that this game was either designed by people who don't care or by a comity who forced a list in front of Bioware's least experienced employees can't be helped.
    At it's most basic, SWTOR is WoW
    with a different coat of paint. For an alleged $200 million budget it's shameful what Bioware has done with this, not taking a single risk or taking advantage of outstanding features anything other then WoW had (no Global friends list is bad enough, but no sidekick feature is even worse). Gameplay is very much by the numbers with a bias towards the NPC enemies if you're evenly matched. There's been so many fights I've gone into with my Bounty Hunter at even level with decent equipment and still been flattened.
    Speaking of equipment, the in-game store added after the change to F2P is an embarrassment, mostly working on random boxes that frequently give you very little with a few 'ok' sets of armour that need modifications adding to them before they can be useful and other bits and bobs.
    I came to this game after City of Heroes shut down. For the longest time, I got on ok with the game as I enjoyed some of the story, but as time progressed I realized just how terrible this game is and wouldn't recommend it at all.
  61. Aug 8, 2013
    Awful game and a genuine insult to the Star Wars franchise. Generic, flawed game play. Walled environments. Bland missions. Non-challenging engagements. Now with added "Pay To Play". It's not a "WoW Clone" as some have suggested, this is an insult to the tired old World of Warcraft MMO. It's a game that had VAST amounts of potential, squandered away by greed and complacency.
  62. Aug 5, 2013
    Its actual classic MMORPG with pay 2 win system. The story is good with many recognizable elements and details from SW expanded universe, you can choose your path but its will be hard if you dont behave like side you choose. Fine cutscenes where (probably for first time) you can see other players from your group in it. The game have good PVP. I personally think that SW galaxies was much better but this is not so bad either and fans of SW and MMORPGS will like it. Expand
  63. Jul 31, 2013
    Good game for 1-50 lvl. Story, voicing and characters are good and fun.
    About end-content I play many MMO and it's all the same: some dungeons to clear, some PvP gear, some something... So I don't bother about it, just clear the story and move to another game.
    After all the Good PvP can be only in high-PvP oriented games. And most of them are pay-to-win..
  64. Jul 20, 2013
    Great fun for the first playthrough. The combat response was horrible on launch as was endgame. Too much money and time was devoted to voice acting and not enough to the other areas of this WOW clone. A Star Wars MMO needs to launch with amazing space combat to set it apart. This game failed on almost every front.
  65. Jul 7, 2013
    I reviewed this in 2011, but now I'll review it again.

This game is a prison. Its somewhat addictive, but not enough to keep me away for whole weeks while still subscribing. Before they did the server swaps, the game was a ghost town. Now the servers have pops akin to what a medium pop on the old 50+ server system had.

The main character storyline is good most of the time, and your
    choices do mean something. But the main story is too few and far between. The planet stories can be okay, but more often than not its bad. Sometimes, like Imperial Taris, its a sort of "anything you can do I can do better" sort of thing, which was really lame. The side quests can be cool, but usually set you up for some disappointment. The companion stories are all usually very cool, but a lot of content was seemingly cut and you can not go on their adventures. Its always a matter of "I have to do this alone."

The main story is the only thing I find enjoyable about the game, and yet one must wade through tons of sub-par content to get there. This makes the game a massive time sink. The developers intentionally forced people who enjoy a standard fair game to play with MMO diehards, WoW 'heretics' who wanted something better.

I do play MMOs, too, and have gotten to endgame PvE in WoW a few times (though I tend to prefer PvP), but this was much the same monotony from WoW. This is really EA's fault for allowing the rebel WoW community to dictate how the game was made, and yet the WoW crowd wanted something better instead of a carbon copy.

The game was better in Beta. None of the beta testers were complaining as far as I saw. The game was significantly difficult, yet people enjoyed the pace of progress. We had some disappointments, like design story decisions on the planet Taris. And then right before the game released, they changed how PvE worked. No longer hard and few fights, but lots of boring ones. Endless trash mobs instead of stuff that was fun to fight. The game changed from being a hero to being a jogger, trying to get through areas as fast as possible.

Anyway, the game is now a smoldering ruin. The cash shop model is very bad, especially the unfairly priced stuff like 'pvp tickets'. The game may be worth $20 for the game and a free month, just to see one storyline (which you may accomplish if you're dedicated). The game is boring and repetitive after your first through playthroughs, but it has its moments.

PvP is good if you're in to that, but most people aren't and utterly stink at it. The 50+ stuff is extremely gear based, which defeats all semblance of fun for anyone not geared out.

Haven't played the newest stuff, but before the expansion, the endgame content was severely lacking. Raids were short but too hard for the average player, flashpoints use the same tilesets from the earlier flashpoints (its like they assumed nobody would play the earlier ones).

All in all, the game seems like it might have changed direction in developement, and certainly did after its initial financial crisis.
  66. Jul 2, 2013
    Routinely underrated, one of the best F2P games, and one of the best Subscription Games on the market today. Awesome story telling, amazing presentation and a game that will grab you. Any score under 7 should be ignored. This one is a 9.5 game.
  67. Jun 19, 2013
    This is one of the greatest MMOs out there at the moment, a must for Star Wars fans. Only lacks if the player is not very Star Wars addicted. Overall a fantastic game with a free to play option
  68. May 31, 2013
    What was an intriguing concept proved too vast to be carried out. What was unique, fun and challenging in the beta got whined away. What this game could have been was destroyed to appeal to a "broader audience" like the millions who love Star Wars regardless were not enough.

Some of the story telling is top notch such as the Imperial Agent and the Republic Sage but some stories are
    truly atrocious such as the Republic Smuggler and Knight. It was too much to write essentially 8 separate stories and then wonder why no one felt like it was a MMO at the end. The PVP was AWFUL and the PVE ran out of gas at level cap.

Bioware is a competent single player game developer, but needs a LOT of help with its MMO aspirations.
  69. May 18, 2013
    Very Highly anticipated game that sizzled out and now is in F2P hell. The game is pay to win now as anything truely interesting is purchased in the cash shop rather then quested for in game. Its PVP is bargin basement warzone concept despite having Mythic (creator of DAoC) designing the PVP.

The base game 1-50 is great and the voice acting is fantastic.
    But soon as you hit max level
    the game fizzles out.

I played for 13.5 months from release to after first year and saw many empty promises and broken promises come and go.

I had a 50 Trooper, 50 Bounty Hunter, 50 Sage, 50 Scoundrel, and 50 Jedi Knight and was closing in on hitting level 50 Sniper and Inquisitor. So not like I didnt play this game completely before coming to my final conclusion.

Anyone interested in this game, do yourself a favor, play 1-50 in F2P and then move onto the next game.
    Avoid buying any Cartel items as they are not needed and only designed to grab more money from Subscribers and F2P players in the short term.
    Title would have been better off as a Single player game KotOR3 or designed by a different developer and distributor.

I wanted to love this game
    All I ended up is hating EA to the point I will not support their company anymore.
  70. May 11, 2013
    I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying playing through SWTOR with a friend at the moment. Having not really played an MMO before own GW2 but didn't enjoy it) this has certainly made me see that MMO's are well worth the time if they are any good. I believe that to get the most out of this game you will want to play through it with a friend. I also must agree with a fellow reviewer who mentioned that a lot of the low score reviewers will not have played much of the game, I agree with this because MMO's in general, you usually have to get to higher levels to get the most fun out of them. Once you get to level 10 the game becomes a blast. Would recommend this game to MMO fan, Star Wars fan or anybody who just wants to feel badass. Expand
  71. May 8, 2013
    As a BioWare fan I just had to try this game. I played a bit with subscription and I liked it a lot. I gave it a 10 because I it does not deserve such a low user score. Its more like a 8.5 game.
    Many people dont like that its a WoW clone with a singleplayer compo ent but that is exactly what attracted me to it.
    Most MMO lack purpose and after you leveled your character to the level cap
    your only option is to go PvP-ing which i hate and will never understand.
    After you create a character you are thrown at the start of your character next adventure. I say next because most classes seem expirianced when you start and you don't feel like a kid thrown in the world with a wooden stick. You can see that your character did something before the events of the story and this is only another adventure on the way. That is specially noticable with trooper, smuggle and agent classes.
    There is also legacy which lets you connect your characters in a family tree as relatives, allies, spouses or rivals. You can unlock various perks for all of your characters that way.

It recently went free to play and I can say that I was a little bit disappointed with the amoint of restrictions but that disappointment was gone when I discovered that on The Cartel Market you can buy whatever you liked without spending money on something you dont want or consider unimportant. The prices are affordable too. For 20 dollars I bought 3 packs that unlock various things including speeder training, rocket boots for my entire legacy, various armor sets or pieces etc.

I really think this deserved better user score since most of the reviewers give 0 score because they disliked only one thing in the game.
  72. May 3, 2013
    Outdated gameplay, terrbile engine, dull dumbed down story-telling, very little endgame content, very little character-customization, this was destined to fail (unfortunatly).
  73. Apr 26, 2013
    Great Storylines, Great Gameplay, Great Class Balancing, Good PVP

Think this game lacks is end game. End Game Raiding semi challenging, End Game Ranked Style PVP terrible as it deals with primary server versus a global characteristic. Once you get into ranked you start to realize you and one other team are truly competitive amongst the random pugs that try and play.

This game needs
    an arena concept wher eyou can play a 1v1, 2v2, 5v5 game play like deathmatch versus objective play as well as possibly a capture the flag style of play or even a guild versus guild concept like int raditional guild wars 1. That and if you could include a dodge roll this game would be uber amazing and it be crosshair based attacking versus tab targeting Expand
  74. Apr 23, 2013
    VERY good game. even if you don't like Star Wars, you should still try this game. Many fun things to do, great storyline, large and vast maps, and immersive gameplay and role playing scenes. I highly recomend this game to all!
  75. Apr 18, 2013
    Despite the amount of trolls who will go out of their way to tell you that this game killed their first born and molested them inappropriately, THE GAME ISN'T BAD.

It's not genre breaking. It's a MMO it does what most MMO's do. That means it has issues like all MMO's. People will moan about class balance in PVP whenever they are getting slapped around.

Strong server populations. And
    you can play the story for free. So all those moaning about wanting KOTOR 3 can get their fill.

If you pay for $60 worth of unlocks then you get the near full experience without a sub.

It's not the greatest but it's far no where near the worst.
  76. Apr 18, 2013
    This is the first MMO I have ever played. My gf and I like it so much that we've just built her her own gaming PC so we can play at the same time and do missions together.
    That said, there are niggles that draw it away from a 9 or 10.

There are far too many great things about the game to list them all but the top things are
    1.) Storylines are great and there's eight of them (not
    including dlc)!
    2.) Heaps of class and sub-class-specific abilities mean that you can play whatever type of game you want. Up close and personal, long-range, stealth, force powers, guns and grenades, whatever you like.
    3.) Awesome voice acting and very nice graphics meaning they will look good even if your PC is average or even a bit sub-par really anyone can get on board.

And then there are the niggly things that irritate me if I'm in a bad mood:

1.) EA servers are down more often than seems appropriate. Do they really ALL have to be down at the same time?
    2.) Walking. It never ends. I just want to get from A to B to do the next exciting thing but ME it takes a long time to get there, especially for the first several hours when you have to go everywhere on foot. Getting a speeder helps a bit but don't even get me started on the expanses of Tatooine.
    3.) Funny battle-oddities. Should I really be able to 'distract' an automated turret with a hologram of a sexy dancing girl?... lol

Niggles aside, big props to BioWare for a game that is overwhelmingly fun.
  77. Apr 15, 2013
    I think Star Wars: The Old Republic is a great game. I am big fan of Star Wars universe so I started playing this game as soon as I could, despite all hate that I read on forums. One year passed and I am still subscriber. I can say that this is my type of MMO. TOR has great story, nice community and SW atmosphere. Everything I wanted from a single game.
  78. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is just fu**** amazing pal, i'm seriously brotha. This game is perfect i play this when i get sick from the WoW. And man i gotta say in my opnion this game is so epic and perfect can i even describe the feel to play as a Sith and a Bounty Hunter, for example. Made your choices betwen Dark Side/Light Side, Companion approves or desagrement. Flirt, Kill, Torture, PvP, Warzones, Duels, A really nice AI, an amazing balancing, Missions u praticaly just can finish with a group, Social and interactive dialogues from cutscenes with another players. I mean, man this game is epic and perfect, that's it. Expand
  79. Mar 28, 2013
    Star Wars The Old Republic is a free to play MMORPG developed by Bioware. Since its release at the end of 2011, the game has won many awards, including best MMO and best PC exclusive in 2011. The game is set during the times of the old republic which is over three thousand years before the rise of Darth Vader in the classic Star Wars films. In game you will have to choose whether you are part of the galactic republic or the dark side of the evil empire. You will also have to choose your character class which determines the set of skills and abilities you will be able to have in game, such as being able to wield a light sabre or use a series of blasters and other long range weapons.

The game is suitable for most players due to its lack of bloody violence and foul language, however to the fact that the game is online and that you must be 13+ to register, it is recommended that this game is for teens and above.

Star wars The Old Republic has many built in features that make the game one of the best MMO’s available. The story telling is incredible down to the decision making within game, as every choice you make can alter the way the rest of the game will pan out for you and how others may react to you within game and will also determine your path of either light or the dark side. The game also has a stunning range of cinematic for both action scenes and conversations between players and A.I. The other cool function about any movie clip is your whole online party appear in the clip with your character and interact with the A.I in the same clips as you do, meaning that the whole game can be played together, between you and your friends.

Not only are you able to share your adventure with real friends, but you can also have an A.I companion which will accompany throughout your game. Your companions can also be customised to your preference, such as appearance and behaviour when facing enemies.

The combat system in SWTOR is a dynamic and detailed masterpiece, where every battle almost seems like a fight from the movies, as well as being on such a large scale. You are also granted your own personal star ship to fly in game, so there will also be intense space battles where you are made to attack or defend in your very own vehicle.

The game is also a full MMO, featuring massive multiplayer environments, player-vs.-player Warzones, multi-player Flashpoints, multi-group Operations, guilds, auction houses, crafting, mounts, and much more.

There is one downside to the game however, which is even though the game is free to unlock features such as operations and warzones, you must pay a £10 monthly subscription fee, however, if you enjoy the game that much then it is definitely worth becoming a member. I myself am a member and the jump from non-paid to paid offers so much more for the game, but it will only really be worth the £10 if you play the game enough. I rate Star Wars the Old Republic a solid 8/10, due to its amazing multiplayer functionality and compelling story line. The only thing that lets it down is the fact it is £10 a month if you want to play the game to its fullest potential, which is a lot for game, as that would be £120 pound a year just for extra features.
  80. Mar 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I have to congratulate Bioware for giving men very ample buttocks (unlike, for instance, Star Trek Online which doesn't have the ability to make a cute guy). Although sexy backsides are out of place on the uglier guys in the name (and there are plenty), there is plenty of NPC eye candy to go around. However, that brings me to a big problem. Running around massacring cute guys is not my idea of fun. For instance, there's a section of Coruscant where ordinary guys supposedly were given vigilante control. I can't remember the name of them, but it's a very thin plot idea, particularly with the way things are set up. We aren't talking about a small gang here, but a giant sprawling army, spread into little pockets everywhere. The army is equipped in some places with medical guys who are very cute, both in terms of face and body, and it's frankly very sad to be forced to shoot them. In fact, one of them looked exactly like my in-game husband (the Legacy system let me marry my other character), which was not only surreal but offensive. It also makes little sense from a Star Wars morality perspective. I'm supposedly a light side character and I get off on killing vast amounts of people like medical assistants because my character is a "scoundrel"? This isn't Star Wars at all. This is really Massacre Central. The only light and dark morality consists of lame dialogue and lamer plot options. I can't believe so much money was spent to make this game. Shoving big-breasted women at me, one after the other, with flirt options is heavy-handed, too. There is no man-to-man alternative unless you're talking about very limited ghetto options on pay-to-gay Makeb. The inability to run for free players is too punitive, as is the inability to have two function bars visible. It's also lame that you are awarded an item that lets you modify your companion's appearance but can't use it. What kind of game gives people items and says what you were given is completely useless? That's not a reward system. A game developer walks a very fine line between being patronizing to players and motivating them to spend money.

People say they play the game for the story, but as a gay player, the only thing I'd be interested in at all is finding some romance, and there is none to be had. I got my fill of massacring bored groups of milling creatures and men right away. Plus, even if romance with my companion, Corso, were possible, something would have to be done about his face. Oh, that's right... can't use the customization item that I was rewarded with. It's ironic that the most memorable thing to happen to me in this game was feeling sad when looking down at the fetching body of a medical dude in that Coruscant section. I did not feel like a hero, only a butcher.
  81. Mar 13, 2013
    The beginning was about as interesting as watching paint dry. The NPC dialogues were horrific and you were basically just asked to go around fixing and/or disabling stuff for people you don't care about. This is bad in a game that promised good stories and interesting NPC's.

The companion you get is very annoying and you basically have to keep using him unless you want to get molested
    by the enemies in the game while not in a group of real people since the game is balanced around using your companion. It got better once you get to the first Flashpoints and group missions. The game started actually being fun after trudging trough the first 10 or so levels.

It was all good until I hit lvl 16 and Bioware/EA whatever decided to KEEP MY ACCOUNT HOSTAGE.
    Now all I get when I try logging into my character is this line:

"To continue playing this character, you must validate an email address for your account. You may validate your email by visiting https://account.swtor.com/user/info."

It just takes you to your basic information page on swtor.com. No apparent place to to any kind of validating. My e-mail is already there and I have even bought stuff on the account while being registered with that e-mail. Inputting a different e-mail address sends this to the new e-mail address you use:

Locrin:

"We have received your request to update your email address for the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ website. To complete this request, simply click here to verify your email address.

Remember, if you have a linked EA account, it will be changed with the new email address."

Clicking the link in the mail only gives you this error: "An error has occurred.
    Your email address could not be validated.

Please check the URL and try again."

And since I am not a monthly subscriber, but only a guy that sometimes use the real money market for the stuff I want I AM CUT OFF FROM ANY KIND OF CUSTOMER SUPPORT.
  82. Mar 9, 2013
    Although in terms of gameplay mechanics The Old Republic closely resembles World of Warcraft, it's not just another MMO. It's a full-blooded RPG that makes your character important from the start and tells stories that are worth following. It also allows you to enjoy them alone if you're not keen on that whole multiplayer thing.The addition of free-to-play has further broadened it's appeal!
  83. Mar 8, 2013
    The issue with this game is it's just more of the same thing on the market now. Yes it has a few new trappings and cool ideas thrown in but the core mechanic that makes up 90% of the game is still the same thing as all of the other mmo games. The novelty factor wore off after a couple weeks of playing and I found myself doing dailies, doing the same routine every time I logged in and I quickly fell into a sense of familiarity with this game. That's when it hit me; I was bored before my free 30 day subscription was even up.

All the good things in it I liked are the same things I liked about rift, world of warcraft, everquest and so on so I'll just cut to what I didn't like about SW:TOR.

1) The engine and game isn't optimized at all. Even my computer (which is way way above reccomended specs and will run any game on the market with headroom to spare) never ran it smoothly, especially at any higher end settings. It always felt like it was running just a little too sluggish. Bioware said the massive complaints about performance were due to so many people running inferior computers but that isn't the case really. The games engine simply isnt optimized well enough. The graphics are subpar as well. I am never one to think that good graphics will equal good game but given a game where you're basically repeating the same actions day in and day out it should atleast look pretty while doing it. WOW looks better to me and it's a dated engine, but it's wonderful use of color and art direction makes it stand out while TOR has this underlying feel of looking like a dozen other games.

2) It requires you to use EA's origin service. This is ultimately why I canceled my subscription and won't play this anymore. Origin was the last straw for me in my list of complaints. Origin IS spyware, it tells you it is in the EULA you agree to when you agree to the terms and conditions to install it. It also was recently changed to say you can't sue EA. There is a reason why germany (yes the whole country) took action against Origin because it invades privacy. I detest origin and again was the last straw in my choosing not to play battlefield 3 anymore. And as someone tried to point out in the comments section that origin isnt required, yes it is and the gams official FAQ says so. http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#170974

3) The game is a theme park much like WOW. Once you start playing you're constantly guided through the game via quests and so on. It never felt like I got to explore anything on my own or discover anything because the game was always holding my hand and telling me where to go. There was no sense of awe, no sense of exploration, no sense of discovery because you're constantly having the game tell you what and where to go next as you progress through the game. It's like there is a invisible path of quests you have to follow through from level 1 to 50.

4) The game is too easy and that makes most people you meet insufferable to be around. Much like everyother mmo out now the game is geared toward allowing in anyone who wants to play to get maximum subscriptions. In order to do that you need to appeal to the lowest common denominator by making your game as easy as you can get away with. Much like wow it takes little effort to level up and do things aside from the occasional time you need a party to do something (which makes it feel inconvient). You never get this feeling of accomplishing anything by overcoming a challenge because the game has no real challenges or penalties. The problem with a MMO like this and it being easy is that when it becomes easy then players get bored easily and bored players become obnoxious players and obnoxious players are players I don't want to play with. There is a reason why the majority of the player base for like WOW are petty, obnoxious and sarcastic brats and why the majority of the everquest player base are friendlier, kinder and more helpful and that reason is because WOW makes players lazy and bored by being way to easy to play and everquest requires work and teamwork. Even death has virtually no penalty, there is no real reason to be careful or thrill of being almost taken down. In this if you die it is just sort of a ho-hum experince and you go on not really caring, thus there is no element of danger.

5) Everything feels like one big corridor. It always feels like you're being funneled through this corridor from one objective to the next. There is no sense of a large scale and all the areas feel so small and cramped. Once you have checked out a area it feels even smaller. At first everything was fine but it didn't take long before all the area, dungeons and so on all just start feeling like little compartments in a rat maze.
  84. Mar 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like this game, yet the restraints placed onto free to play players are immense. The total game killer for me was being limited to 200,00 game currency credits, yet all the things I need'd to "Unlock" my character were well above that :S, so ok you can buy straight from the cartel and not go though the player run economy (GTN) but still the same issue raise's again and again for things not in the cartel and only available though luck of looting or buying on the GTN.

Other retarded things include skill bar slots you have to unlock via cash, to use all your available skills.
    Only two characters per server reduced XP, reduced gold, less choice in quest awards, only 3 space battles per week instead of infinite, 1/2 the inventory space, no cargo hold space, only so many flash point (special instance) rewards per week, No support only 3 races to choose from, no custom skins for companions, sprint training lagging behind subscribers by 10 lvl's same for speeder training, many more but the total game killer is the 200,000 credit limit. If you think you will subscribe, then may be worth trying, I personally didn't get enough out of it to make it worth losing money every month for. As a dip into game and buy something occasionally direct from the Cartel, would be nice, but too many restrictions on that method.

The story is a little one dimensional, though nicely scripted with only minor issues in enemies being immune at the wrong time ect, or kills or switch's not activating the next step in the quest. Reasonable voice acting really help set the mood, music is good yet sparse. Planets are confusing, especially Taris with a map from hell I was forever trying to work out 3 dimensions on a 2d mini-map, with no visual clue or arrow system to help point you in the right direction. No voice support for mic which is a bad call for a MMO with PvP.
  85. Mar 6, 2013
    I've never been immersed in an MMO before, but I felt like giving SWTOR a try due to it being, well, a Star Wars game. It didn't make me like the combat system commonly used in an MMO, but I began to see why someone would. The graphics aren't great but they do the Star Wars world justice; after all, who sees Star Wars for the realistic and detailed content? Being a Sith Lord is awesome, and anyone who appreciates Star Wars will enjoy emulating their favourite character or creating their own. The free to play option is decent; it's annoying to get less XP and be forced to grind to progress in the story, but it doesn't feel restricting in terms of PVP battles and space missions. Overall, my main complaint is the grinding, but it's only bad because of the story focus something that is rare in MMOs. And if the player finds it that bad, all they need to do is get a subscription. Expand
  86. Mar 5, 2013
    My first impressions (after a year since playing the beta, which i loathed) is that SWTOR is a good MMO with lots of potential for growth and improvement; it does seem to be interested in being the star wars mmo that the people want, though they are moving a bit slowly on the 'f2p', or 'premier account' option; i bought the $5 digital upgrade pack for the speeder and the 'premier pack' at $10 (about 1000 cartel coins) for the early speeder access and a couple of other things (only affects one character)... so $10/character gets you a very playable game, plus the $5 for the account, all characters

-read my full breakdown on tumblr:
  87. Mar 3, 2013
    ToR is an interesting game, that doesn't mean it's necessarily good (though I for once certainly enjoyed the hell out of it), it's because TOR is a genuinely innovative as an MMO because it tried (and succeeded for the most part) to have 8 distinct epic class stories that suit any Star Wars fan's desire to role-play his own character, packed with the usual Bioware's consistently well-written characters and plot.

Let's get ToR's uninspiring if competent parts out of the way as quickly as possible. The music is decent but not used often enough, the visual is well-designed but technically unimpressive and the environment is hit and miss. Voice acting, on the other hand, was consistently good (or at least I thought it would). Gameplay is competent if uninspiring. I've heard many people say the combat is very similar to WoW but I've never actually played that one beyond a few levels at a friend's house so I can't really confirm that. Combat in ToR is neither as tactical as Dragon Age nor as action-packed like Mass Effect 3, rather it tests the player's ability to juggle numerous abilities to maximum effect. For the most part all you'll be focusing managing your cooldown and force bar (or other equivalents of a mana bar). Beyond that there are also many other usual MMO stuffs that I don't care for for the most part such as Guild stuffs, raids, PvP (which was surprisingly good according to most people), etc.

Now onto the part that Bioware is known for, and for good reasons too. The writing and characters were on par with Bioware's usual standards, the lore was intriguing as well as fleshed out and the characters are numerous and distinct, if artificial due to the affection system. The story has ups and downs however. While they were well written and interesting, the pacing itself was severely hurt by the MMO format. Backtracking and endless side quests were the 2 biggest issues for me. Side quests kill any sense of momentum gained by the interesting class story and any remaining sense of flow is then finished off whenever you die by accidentally attracting a mob while fighting something else. Thankfully, the stories themselves when you finally get to them, are distinct and intriguing. Shockingly enough, the MMO doesn't just hurt the story-telling, it actually bolstered it in some ways. Having other people around actually helped me be immersed into the world sometimes. More importantly, having 8 classes mean that Bioware had to write full stories for characters that no one would actually write for a full Star Wars game, such as the story of the Imperial Agent, the Sith Warrior/Inquisitor, the Smuggler, etc. While there are ones that many people like and ones that most people hated, they essentially cover almost everyone's taste: the Imperial Agent is basically a sci-fi James Bonds (incidentally my favourite story so far), the Jedi Knight is your typical Star Wars story and the Smuggler is a humorous/adventurous story of a rogue living in the Star Wars universe. Furthermore, having all these classes provide the player with the ability to see the same universe through 8 different perspectives. As for the F2P model, yeah it has countless annoying restrictions but they're ultimately harmless in my opinion, at least up until you reach level 50. These restrictions are nearly all just either cosmetic or simply serve to slow you down. As a F2P player myself, I can confirm that these things are indeed infuriating but I willingly levelled my way up to 50 without paying any real money and that has to be a plus. But really, the game started out as a subscription game and getting a F2P model can't be a bad thing (for consumers) so I suggest you grab it if you have any interest in the game and see how it goes with the prologue.

In short, I had a blast at the game and I didn't have to pay anything for it (I know probably should). People may say that I gave it too high a score after pointing out so many that was wrong with it but ultimately it boils down to how much those shortcomings bother you. Yeah I'd have prefer it to be a single-player episodic series (so we can have all 8 classes) in order to solve the dumb pacing issues and absurd amount of production money but what is here is a very entertaining but flawed MMORPG that provides a new take on the genre in term of narrative. Since it's also free, definitely check it out if you're either a fan of Star Wars or a fan of Bioware story-telling.

p.s. Also I should point out that this is my first review and I rarely play MMORPG so avid fans of the genre should take note of that.
  88. Jaz
    Feb 23, 2013
    I am a Star Wars fan, played Star Wars Galaxies and the Knights of the Old Republic 1-2. I expected more from this game as did so many others. It isnt bad but it isnt great either. Pros: Star Wars, companions, crafting, combat animation, dungeons, personal stories. Minus: End game, repetitive combat, wasted transition time between planets, space combat, lacking small MMO details that make world "real" like night/day etc. I was a subscriber, left and when i got back i found out that their "f2p" model is bad, even for me. I d still recommend to play it, raise a character to max lvl from each faction and thats it, dont ask for more. Expand
  89. Feb 16, 2013
    It's Star Wars meets World of Warcraft! Players will no doubt get more out of this game if they are 1. insane for Star Wars or 2. love MMORPGs. If that's your cup of tea, jump right in. The Old Republic has done little to convince me to stick around, however. It's not badly made, it's just bland, and throughout I wondered why time was wasted making it an MMO when an excellent single player game could have been made. I am impressed that the player character is fully voiced (Jo Wyatt, Jennifer Hale, Grey DeLisle) and there is a conversation tree similar to the one used in BioWare's Mass Effect and Dragon Age II but the majority of game time plays out as tedious fetch quests and lengthy, unnecessary and boring point-and-click combat. Expand
  90. Feb 13, 2013
    A high quality MMO with an immersive storyline. The companions is revolutionary and each class having its own unique story is really darn cool!! The end game has me a little bored which is why this did not het a 9 or 10, but the journey there is absolutely incredible. Whether you are a Star Wars fan or not, this is a great game.
  91. Feb 9, 2013
    Beh Star Wars The Old Republic veramente un bel gioco. Ma può anche essere bruttissimo, se lo si gioca in stile WoW o normale MMO... bisogna ascoltare, bisogna saper seguire la storia, straordinaria anche nelle quest secondarie. Bisogna intuire tutto l'immenso lavoro che BioWare ha fatto. Non un gioco perfetto anzi, ha tante pecche... ma siamo già alla versione 1.7, esiste con possibilità Free to play e per di più esce già un'espansione (Rise of The Hutt cartell) questa primavera. Non ci vuole uno psicologo sociale per capire che chi dà giudizi negativi lo fa perchè attaccato ad altri giochi, ed ha paura che la fama di swtor possa in qualche modo intaccarli (impossibile, cmq, perchè swtor ha un pubblico molto più limitato del mondo fantasy, ed un bene così): 865 voti negativi (i fan di altri giochi) 1000 e passa i positivi (i fan di swtor) e solo 230 quelli medi (che lo hanno provato, e onestamente dicono la loro opinione). Da provare. Poi può non piacere, ma assolutamente un bel gioco, fatto da persone capaci a cui bisogna rendere onore! Expand
  92. Feb 8, 2013
    This game is Fun, Massive, and addicting once you get into your story. I'm not enjoying the free to play restrictions that they have since I used to be a paid subscriber. I'm still rating this as a 10 because of all the fun I had during that time, and the quality is wonderful like actually being part of the star wars galexy. Also Their are no quest boxes which is annoying and never read they actually communicate with you with your own response and decision to make a good or bad choices which makes this game a must get now that its free. Expand
  93. Feb 4, 2013
    'Star Wars mask' to SELL TRASH. NO GOOD, GUYS. Talking about a WoW clone? Dude, they took the WORST aspects of WoW and cloned them. lol The retarded juiciness of the WoW art/story style at least made that game enjoyable. Let me tell you something, a basic quest chain in WoW had more story then this entire game. ALL OF MY BUDDIES and I played this game, every class. Empire are the only enjoyable storylines (as far as the enjoyment goes...). Republic is BLAND. It is serious trash. It is BORING. 2 of 3 of us played Republic preferrably... could not stand any of the storylines. Consulars are notoriously craptastic and just painful to sit through. Nothing happens in that story. The game just follows the same pattern all the way through... generic and unoriginal. #1: IT'S NOT KOTOR PEOPLE. If you played Knights Of The Old Republic you most likely loved the sh@# out of it. Knights 2, sadly was rushed in development by corporate greed and had content chopped out and rushed to market (which explains a lot) they cut an entire planet for godsake. But still... decent and good game. This is nothing like those 2, at all. It is a sh#$ WoW clone, yet not fun. WoW was somewhat fun, this isn't fun at all. The dialogue/options and effects do not exist. 3 options all same result. No dynamics no change no effects. 0, I've played to 50, me and friends have palyed different classes. We've been subscribers. COMBAT IS TERRIBLE. Bland and so unimaginitive. You WILL BE BORED. Hit buttons for few more points of damage. Slowing skill. Ranged skill. The End. Tons of skills doing the same sh#&. No combos. You will see vendors everywhere, tons of gear, but that doesn't make a game. Who cares. Item customization? Modification? KOTOR2 had it for real. This game does not, it's yet again, a mask of something bland and terrible. Nuff said. Worst part of game: REPUBLIC AND EMPIRE ARE THE SAME THING. They mirror each other in classes and skils and skill-trees. SAME stuff, different names. The names and icons ar ethe difference. Period. The mark of horribleness. SPACE COMBAT? Rail shooter. You don't fly freely. Missions repeated. Shoot things poping in on screen. Character CUSTOM? Everythings human: Chiss: Blue Human Miraluka: Green Human Cyborg: Human with 1 additional custom option, (metalic crap on face). TwiLek: (almost exclusively Republic unless unlocked, only closest thing to an alien). Rhatataki: White Human etc. etc. No wookiees, no rodians, no trandoshans. Nothing. Companions, 1 at a time only. Trade professions, done almost all exclusively for credit-cost and by companions in backround of game. Same with crafting. 5 possible companions on each tpy eof class you pick (total): most all classes you pick, between 4 and 5 companions (all) are boring as hell. Flat personalities and wooden. Aliens add difference and can be fun, but almost none have personalities anyway. Vette was fun on my Sith Warrior. That was IT. Out of the other 15-20 companions on other classes I experienced, they're boring. You get a buncha dudes or you get what looks like underaged girls with poor voice acting (who all sound identical....) for romance options. Generic. Everyhting is mirrored in this game. COMPANION QUESTS? Terrible... mostly brief talking chains. My system is a few years dated... but still runs intense games well. This game... the WORST game for running on a system. Even with LOWEST GRAPHICS POSSIBLE this game lagged and glitched like Hell. Every time I naturally exit this game I get Windows Error Reports. Other times, my computer will hang on the desktop for literally 10 minutes.... NOT OTHER GAME DOES THESE THINGS. It's intoleralbe. My buddy has a max-performance system for gaming.... he gets stuttering all the same regardless. As most wil tell you too, with GRAPHICS, Highest and Lowest almost don't matter. My comp runs Highest settings amost exactly the same as the lowest.... program issues. Frankly the grpahics and LOOK of the game is awful and dated. The 'doo-dadds' to put in the world, like misc. objects like consols and trees... etc... few exist. You see Computer Consols stuck everywhere and htere's only 3 different types. There's computer consols on bridges for godsake... it's just a bunch of designer flunkees out of college rushing thorugh on a timeline with no care for quality. Push Product make reslease-date, charge-for or patch rest. 1 year passes, nothing changes either. Cartel Market. Real money/points store... there's not even anything in it. Different colors of same objects you get in-game. Or just junk like unlockable storage spaces.... you can unlock a playable Race for both sides for any class (yes, even if you subscribe, you are restricted as to the races to classes that you can play still). And that CARTAL DOLLAR SIGN IS RAMMED DOWN YOUR F#$#%NG THROAT. It's all over your windows and HUD. Expand
  94. Feb 1, 2013
    I waited till I turned lvl 50 on one of my characters before I reviewed this game. My honest thoughts are that this game was nothing but disappointing experience. as a MMORPG game, it's not bad but it's like any other generic MMORPG. As a Star Wars game, it was a huge disappointment to me and for a fantastic franchise such as Star wars you expected a lot. Bioware and EA failed to live up to our expectations. The cinematic CG trailers and the fully voiced characters were only the best parts of this whole game.
    - The gameplay was stale and uncreative; it does nothing to new to the MMORPG genre. There is not a single dynamic quest or instance (where is the Duel of Fates-inspired jedi battles or anything that doesn't have you kill this guy then go to the next objective and kill the next guy), it felt tedious like a chore. The space battles was a huge let down; just an on-rails shooter. Sadly, it was one of the only moments where it felt like Star Wars. 3/10 (Though I scored it low on this because the gameplay was terrible and unplayable, but as a Star Wars game it could have been a lot better)
    - The graphics on high definition looks okay but it could have been a lot better, espicially coming from Bioware. Character models look very ugly and literally everyone looked the same, if you compare to games such as Star Wars kinect (I know that game is awful but the graphics were better than this game). 4/10
    - The story was fairly interesting because it is separated into three chapters and each chapter has a different goal to reach. Characters and NPCs are fully voiced by many recognizable voice actors which I enjoyed a lot. The only real reward I got from each class quest was to see the story progress. Most companions were funny and interesting, and each of them had unique personalities for you to explore (even romance). 6/10
    - The music was great and fantasitc. What do you expect from Star Wars, it's awesome! 8/10
    - The lasting appeal I got from this game wasn't very good. Badly placed checkpoints, lots of bugs and glitches, barely a "free-to-play" game (ex. I had to pay either real money or game credits to HIDE MY HELMET), small server spaces, stuff in the cartel are too expensive, had to be lvl 15 to RUN!? (unless you're a subscriber...) and have to pay for an expansion. 1/10 Overall, I thought this game was extremely disappointing and the only reason I had to kept playing this was to meet my subscription fee's value. If you like the old MMORPG style gameplay and love the Star Wars franchise, I say at least give this game a go. AND I CAN'T BELIEVE THE HORRIBLE CLOSURE I GOT FOR ONE OF MY FAVOURITE STAR WARS CHARACTER OF ALL-TIME (I'm sure a lot of people know who I'm talking about here).
  95. Jan 31, 2013
    I had my good experienced in this game. I usually dont MMO but firstly when i saw SWTOR promo in year 2010, it was like 'Awesome' i will play this game... and i dont have any regrets because its an amazing game.
  96. Jan 26, 2013
    An average game in my opinion. Of course there are some nice touches such as the voice overs but the game was just too inconvenient and frustrating for me. I define games by how much they don't irritate me as well as how much fun they are. This is an MMO, and repetition is part of daily life - therfore cutting down on the daily grind is important. So here are some criticisms. TRANSIT - I think my biggest gripe was with getting from A to B. The only automation was in the form of auto-forward (NUMLOCK) but you still needed to steer manually, and the distances were huge. Furthermore your path can be blocked by enemies who don't seem to have any purpose other than to annoy you. I discovered that sometimes the quickest way to get to your destination was to deliberately get killed and respawn. As for the taxis, I would go to the toilet only to come back and see that I was still in the taxi and had not reached my destination. Of course I get to see the beautiful environments but it gets boring after the first time, I just want to reach my destination! LOOT ROLLING - This has got to be one of the worst systems ever for distributing loot. The number of abusers of the system is ridiculous. I gave up on flashpoints and world bosses because of this stupid system. AUTO PVP FLAG - I wanted to play on the PVE server at first, but for some reason, every time I healed someone or shielded them, my PVP flag would turn on, simply because the person I healed had theirs on. I just kept thinking to myself, "What is this nonsense?" I understand the loophole in PVP where a non-flagged healer could heal a PVPer, but I'm automatically guilty for assisting my team mate in a quest? PRICE-PER-UNIT - The auction house did not have a price-per-unit column. I got tired of getting my calculator out to find out the price per unit. OTHER ISSUES - No barber. No interplanetary chat so it can be hard to recruit for the heroic missions. Lack of multiple windows (for shops, character stats, etc) - only 2 maximum at a time - and they close inconveniently when you try to get two particular windows open......... Some say the F2P game is just a trial - well I went through the trial and decided it was just not for me. Think this is the first BioWare game I failed to complete. Expand
  97. Jan 23, 2013
    My hatred of TOR does not stem from the fact that it was a bad WOW clone, or even that it was so repetative and boring.

No, my hatred of TOR stems from the fact that bioware turned KOTOR, perhaps the most classic star wars series ever, into A **** MMO!!

Instead of just giving us KOTOR3 like they SHOULD have, bioware instead opted for the crowd that would give them the most money.

Bioware has no artistic integrity left. They sacrificed it on the alter of greed.

Expect more TORs and ME3s from now on.

The days of Baldurs gate, KOTOR1, and Dragon age: origins are over.
  98. Jan 20, 2013
    The game was pretty fun when it was first released, albeit a bit too similar to wow in how combat worked. The space combat was really disappointed, and dwarfed by SWG that's a lot older. The questing is fun on your first chars, but having to redo the same quests on alts is very boring. They dropped the ball on this game, it could have been awesome. I still recommend playing it once since it's gone free to play. Expand
  99. Jan 11, 2013
    Although the game did start off slow and many people left, after the key issues were addressed, this is probably the best MMO that I have played. So many different things to do and so much customization. This is truly a great game.
  100. Jan 11, 2013
    I was motivated to try it after it went F2P. After experiencing how heavy handed (and ridiculous) they are with what you can do as a F2P player I subscribed for a month. Playing a Sith Marauder I found the storyline quite enjoyable.. I admit it was hard for me at first because I played SWG Online on release and I kept comparing, I know they are different games but its still the same IP to me. Anyway, while it took some time - I warmed up to SWTOR. The plus side is the storyline which is quite enjoyable, and if you focus on that, it is worthwhile. Regretfully in the end I must say that the storyline is the only thing I enjoyed.

I suppose I should say I did not engage in PVP... I never do, in any MMO I've involved myself in, I generally avoid PVP whether SWG, WoW, EVE, LOTR, etc. Anyway, back to my cons on SWTOR. The space missions are entirely guided, you cannot really control your ship, and you'll find the map has only about 3 varieties, it got boring quickly. The environments are just boring and uninspired I really couldn't care what planet I was on. In most MMO's I can pick an area or world that I enjoyed. WoW - I loved Darkshore and Stranglethorn Vale (Before Cataclysm which I hated), SWG - Corellia... You get the drift..

One thing that really killed it for me was it did not allow me to play a middle ground Sith. At ALL times I was REQUIRED to play light or dark. Even some of my choices, while I thought were just good strategic choices, were considered evil, or good... seemed to me to be a massive hole in the storyline process, despite certain... revelations in the game that I won't mention . They further press this point in your equipment as certain items and relics can only be equipped if you are one side or the other... this was not how I wished to play my char, and yet was forced to do so I could equip certain items.

Other issues I had were minor but significant to me, like not being able to create my own waypoints on the map... Bioware's classic conversation selection was a killer for me too where your char does not say what you actually wish them to. I really mean this, you select the option for your char to say, "That doesn't work for me." and your char says, "You have failed me for the last time!" . I'm thinking... "waht?" Misspell on purpose.

After my month ran out I chose to transition back to F2P. I chose to do this because there were other games I wanted to play though I had intended to at some point come back and try other storylines, happily thinking I would again subscribe. By this time I was maybe level 47, had not finished the storyline yet. To my surprise the heavy handed status returned. Although I was considered "preferred status" I could no longer have a title, all my rested XP that I had saved up was removed, my Piloting lvl 3 skill was downgraded to level 2 (after putting down a lot of credits for an extra 10% speed oooooh... ) some other skills that I obtained and spent a lot of credits on were removed or downgraded. My purple items I had obtained... nope, you don't benefit from those enhancements anymore. Heck, I couldn't hide my helmet any longer. This was so over the top for me that I just detached from it, I uninstalled the game, and will never touch it again. Bottomline is if you are willing to suffer and persevere through the nonsense of F2P then you can enjoy the storyline. For me I won't come back because beyond the storyline its just uninspiring and the heavy handedness of their F2P/Subscription system is over the top.. This game could have been so much better. If I could, I would give the storyline a 10... but everything else a 0, so I've compromised and given a score of 2. It is storyline, and nothing more.
  101. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is amazing! The best MMO out there, period. If you love star wars you will love this game. I've had so much fun with the story, companions, pvp, personal ship, spacebattles and so on...

There is not much negative about this game.. I can't wait for future updates and expansion :)

May the force be with you!

1. Apr 23, 2012
    LucasArts generally exercised greater quality control of Star Wars games than most licensed properties receive, though that didn't necessarily translate into titles that were actually good. I've played a few other Star Wars games in the past, and while the SNES platformers were pretty good, this one is even better. Knights of the Old Republic may just be the best game in the franchise, and succeeds at being a top-tier RPG even if one has no interest in Star Wars. BioWare did the license proud.
  2. Mar 31, 2012
    I wound up bailing out on Star Wars: The Old Republic well before hitting the level cap, but not before digging into it more so than any other MMO I've played. Even if it is an unhappy marriage between two wildly different game types, the fact that it kept me hooked for so long at least counts for something.
  3. Mar 5, 2012
    A good game. It pays excellent homage to the film series (even though it's set before the movies), and is a really solid MMO.