9.3

1. Nov 2, 2011
    Along with starcraft 1, this is my 3rd favorite game released in the late 90s (1st/2nd is Master of Orion 2 and Civilization 2). This is the only RTS (along with Starcraft 2) I still play after graduating college.
  2. Mar 25, 2013
    I can only state the obvious: this game is great. I think it has the best story written for a PC game, and on top of that some of the most interesting characters I've seen. There is no possible overrating it.
  3. Mar 3, 2011
    The game is groundbreaking. It gives even more depth to the greatest strategy game ever and has addicting and very, very well balanced multiplayer. If you are looking for a game with a great Singelplayer campaign, then you will love Starcraft: Brood War. If you want addicting and balanced multiplayer gaming then this is the game for you! I mean, why else would it be broadcasted on 2 TVThe game is groundbreaking. It gives even more depth to the greatest strategy game ever and has addicting and very, very well balanced multiplayer. If you are looking for a game with a great Singelplayer campaign, then you will love Starcraft: Brood War. If you want addicting and balanced multiplayer gaming then this is the game for you! I mean, why else would it be broadcasted on 2 TV channels? Heh, if you ask me thats just astonishing! 10/10 for sure... just impossible for me to give it less.. Collapse
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    A war between three factions, as they are at each others throats with either simple eradication, or just merely want to survive. The factions consist of the Terran, the Protoss, and the Zerg. The Terran are human convicts sent to this part of the galaxy for crimes they have committed on Earth, they end up colonizing or unifying in struggles against their foes. The Protoss a culturallyA war between three factions, as they are at each others throats with either simple eradication, or just merely want to survive. The factions consist of the Terran, the Protoss, and the Zerg. The Terran are human convicts sent to this part of the galaxy for crimes they have committed on Earth, they end up colonizing or unifying in struggles against their foes. The Protoss a culturally advanced alien race goes on a killing spree to prevent the spread of the Zerg from getting out of control. The Zerg are a biological and very parasitic race that are controlled by the Overmind and his underlings which are called the Cerebrates.

Starcraft: Brood War expands the Starcraft universe and the original game with necessary changes and refined the game to what we all know and love today. The game offers a great campaign and multiplayer. The soundtrack is catchy and it never gets old. The gameplay is mostly defined by the unique units and what you can do with them. The campaign has an interesting story behind it and offers a lot of interesting characters that adds more depth into the game. Starcraft itself has had a rough ride, but Brood War has definitely made the wait worth it. This game developed into an all-time classic, and eventually developed into a sport. There's a lot of clunky mechanics, my biggest beef is the terrible path finding, but this is more of a major nitpick.

9.5/10
  5. Feb 5, 2012
    One of the best PC games of all time. Both the single player and multiplayer sides of the game are master pieces. The longevity of its gameplay is still seen today. Sarah Kerrigan, Jim Raynor, Zeratul are all great characters and are some of the best in all of video games. I particularly loved the dark story where the evil Kerrigan wins...Awesome.
  6. Jan 1, 2012
    Best addon for the best RTS ever released for a few simple reasons. Its 3 solo campaigns are perfectly balanced from start to end, perfectly scripted, versatile, challenging and supported by an intense storyline that easily outshines other rts. Multiplayer and matchmaking was close to beeing perfectly balanced on release and just needed a few minor fixes to reach a level that allowedBest addon for the best RTS ever released for a few simple reasons. Its 3 solo campaigns are perfectly balanced from start to end, perfectly scripted, versatile, challenging and supported by an intense storyline that easily outshines other rts. Multiplayer and matchmaking was close to beeing perfectly balanced on release and just needed a few minor fixes to reach a level that allowed broodwar to be the nr.1 platform for competetive gaming in rts genre. Every single unit of the 3 races in this game has its value and it is just up to the player if he can make use of it or not. A hand full of the cheapest units can be enough to win a game even after a long game of for example an hour. This is also what seperates starcraft: broodwar from other games. Expand
  7. Apr 5, 2012
    The addon adds more to the original, makes a purchase even more worth while. Adds a lot to the game and doesn't disappoint. A good expansion for a good game.
  8. Oct 8, 2012
    The Only game i never got tired of (even after 12 years).
    It may look old, but i simply love it. The only bad part, You have to open ports in your router to host games (14 year old technology), and your internet connection must be bulletproof (not fast, but very steady).
    100% 10/10, if this game was a girl, id marry it :D.
  9. Mar 13, 2013
    They just don't make games like this anymore. Compared to most modern RTS, this game had a sensible pacing, a good power dynamic between units and spells/abilities, VERY assymetrical balance... and was just plain fun! And cool. Jesus what happened to blizzard, this game is dark as The campaign revolves around everyone who is some sort of "good guy" get his ass whooped throughout. ButThey just don't make games like this anymore. Compared to most modern RTS, this game had a sensible pacing, a good power dynamic between units and spells/abilities, VERY assymetrical balance... and was just plain fun! And cool. Jesus what happened to blizzard, this game is dark as The campaign revolves around everyone who is some sort of "good guy" get his ass whooped throughout. But better yet, there was little in the way of moral blankets and instead every faction and leader was looking out for their own survival and the story played out in an incredibly complex manner. Drop 10$ of whatever it costs now and buy this game, there is a lot of good stuff here. Expand
  10. Apr 14, 2013
    One of the best games ever made. Everything about this game was ahead of its time. Today 15 years after the release of this game people still play and love this game.
  11. Apr 25, 2013
    A gaming masterpiece among few, a legend beyond time.
    Brood War build up the well known StarCraft, to a point where perfection is believable. Today, among so many modern games, Brood War makes you appreciate what you experienced, and not by the price of sh*t a$$ DLC, but by full-fledged expansion adding up what was already great and making it even more awesome.
    New missions, new
    A gaming masterpiece among few, a legend beyond time.
    New missions, new characters, new units, new strategies to master. Both known and unknown, still the same game, and yet more to venture, more to learn.
    This is the presentation of how legendary games had to be made.
    And this is Blizzards's best product, which I'm certain they will never best themselves.
    The following SC2, is worthy successor, but I can't stop viewing it in the shadow of its predecessor.
    BUY this game.
  12. Sep 3, 2013
    Before I start, it's worth mentioning that I'm not really a fan of RTS games. I just don't enjoy multitasking and mass control as gameplay (point-and-click is at about the same level). Logically I also don't play multiplayer, because that's just the same as the campaign with most of the parts I like removed.

After playing through the Wings of Liberty for a second time after installing

After playing through the Wings of Liberty for a second time after installing Heart of the Swarm and finding it roughly as interesting as I remember it being at release (having forgotten most of the story), I found the campaign story in Heart of the Swarm much more engaging, both from a story & presentation/style perspective and the actual gameplay, though that might just mean I'm more suited to zerg.
  13. Nov 1, 2013
    The meaning of a "legendary game". The best PC game ever made, never gets old, enjoyable. Crappy graphics? Shut up and sleep in your mom's room. This game is invincible and unbeatable. This game is a legend. This game is a god and the father of the genre "strategy game". This game is recommended for all gamers. Don't like strategy games? Wait till you buy this game and test it.
  14. Oct 30, 2013
    This is one of the best games of 90's, the game has it all, a compelling story, proper gameplay and small changes and improvements of the factions. This game truly defines great games of the decade.
  15. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (2/2)

Wildcard (0)

16. Jul 21, 2014
    Brood War brings several changes to the game, altering some gameplay aspects of the game, the most important change being the addition of new units.
    Other changes include a better AI and some alterations of the cost of certain units.
    The add-on also comes with about 100 multiplayer maps.
  17. Mar 3, 2011

There are no critic reviews yet.