9.2

1. Sep 19, 2011
    AMAZING!!! even better than WOW!!!
  2. S.J.
    Jul 31, 2004
    This games plot is so good, dated but never the less it is one of the best rts games of all time.
  3. Ben
    Aug 8, 2004
    Over five years after release and still thousands play it both for its awesome Singleplayer and even better multiplayer. A game so popular top players went on TV and starred in TV ads (Fanta, anyone)... A Classic.
  4. JonD.
    Dec 20, 2005
    this game has taken not only months but years away from my life... the single player i played and didnt beat without codes. and it took me probably a month of playing every day and thats what 50++ hours of gameplay... that is true but it also goes for both starcraft and BroodWar put together so its still a wicked long single player so to the final critic who said the single player is too this game has taken not only months but years away from my life... the single player i played and didnt beat without codes. and it took me probably a month of playing every day and thats what 50++ hours of gameplay... that is true but it also goes for both starcraft and BroodWar put together so its still a wicked long single player so to the final critic who said the single player is too short you should never rate another RTS and there are no 100s from critics so i think this is a very weird rating from cricis since if you go to blizzard.com and look at awards this game won game of the year from a 10+ companys idk exactly thou. Expand
  5. JustinY.
    Apr 4, 2006
    Yeah what is wrong with these critics... Revolutionary, massively multiplayer community, huge fan base, still over 10,000 players online in the year 2006. Released in 1998.
  6. EricZ.
    May 4, 2006
    Best RTS EVER! I'm so sick of swords, magic and axes! Blizzard.....Please resume with Starcraft (not ghost!).
  7. Heartless
    Jun 22, 2007
    Okay, docking marks because a game isn't groundbreaking or pioneering a new genre is ridiculous... If that were the case, everything save a few games would have lowered marks. You need to see it for what it is, and as has been said a couple times, it really is a complex game with alot of thought behind everything you do. To be amazing at it isn't simple, and I think that counts Okay, docking marks because a game isn't groundbreaking or pioneering a new genre is ridiculous... If that were the case, everything save a few games would have lowered marks. You need to see it for what it is, and as has been said a couple times, it really is a complex game with alot of thought behind everything you do. To be amazing at it isn't simple, and I think that counts for something. Expand
  8. BradenM
    Jul 17, 2009
    A timeless masterpiece. At the time of writing, StarCraft is 11 years old. I still play it to this day. The perfectly balanced gameplay never gets dull or boring. I hope StarCraft II will be able to live up to its predecessor.
  9. Apr 5, 2012
    Great singleplayer coupled with great mutliplayer creates an experience like no other. The music is great, the gameplay is fluent and solid. You'll have a ton of fun playing it.
  10. Mar 17, 2013
    Even after 10 years, this is still a standout title. It's aged very very well. One of those games that you can't stop playing. It's an absolutely perfect example of easy to learn, hard to master, there's something here for anyone with any interest in RTS. Still doesn't look too bad graphically, well except for the cutscenes. After the first mission theres one in particular where the peopleEven after 10 years, this is still a standout title. It's aged very very well. One of those games that you can't stop playing. It's an absolutely perfect example of easy to learn, hard to master, there's something here for anyone with any interest in RTS. Still doesn't look too bad graphically, well except for the cutscenes. After the first mission theres one in particular where the people are so badly rendered and the dialogue is so hilarious I was busting my sides. Even the better people look ridiculous. Blizzard had a nasty habit of having horribly modeled people with freaky faces. It's a really awesome game though, and I really suggest it to anyone. Expand
  11. Apr 17, 2014
    Best RTS game ever.Very good game balance.3 race with different gameplay, in 1998 it was revolution.Also it perfect Multiplayer perfect game game.Fast and hardcore.
  12. Aug 16, 2010
    This game is never getting old :) Now that SC2 is finally out I put my Starcraft cd-s onto my shelves.. One week before Starcraft 2 Beta I was still playing with the 1st sequel and i have been creating and scripting custom maps for that game for years!! Love the feeling, epic ending, characters, stories, races, music, cutscenes and everything about this game!
  13. Jan 25, 2013
    Best game ever made. Will never be surpassed. Period.
  14. Mar 5, 2013
    Easily the best RTS game in history. Not for the faint of heart. For mavericks only. If you are a candle in the wind, this game is not for you. However if you consider yourself not to be a grab it and have fun
  15. LiamR
    Aug 19, 2009
    Starcraft had a solid potential to be an epic RTS game but unfortunately the vast amount of hype surrounding it seems misplaced. The game plays like any other RTS of the time, many people claim that Starcraft was the first RTS ever made, which again seems to be an example of fan boys over hyping the game. The first real RTS is arguably Dune 2, or it's later spin-off Command & Starcraft had a solid potential to be an epic RTS game but unfortunately the vast amount of hype surrounding it seems misplaced. The game plays like any other RTS of the time, many people claim that Starcraft was the first RTS ever made, which again seems to be an example of fan boys over hyping the game. The first real RTS is arguably Dune 2, or it's later spin-off Command & Conquer. This is my main problem with Starcraft, there is virtually no originality in it. The gameplay seems to be a direct rip-off of Command & Conquer, with the races all being a cheap rip-off of three of the races from Warhammer 40,000. The actual gameplay in Starcraft seems pretty solid but once you realise that the Blizzard almost completely copy and pasted other content into the game it soon loses all it's appeal. Also what annoys me, and this has nothing to do with Blizzard is the majority of fanboys who flame anyone who disagrees with Starcraft being a perfect game. Perhaps if you opened your eyes to other games you'd enjoy gaming more. I have respect for Rash M's review as he seems to also not be brainwashed by Blizzards attempted epic. Expand
  16. RashM
    Mar 1, 2009
    A very traditional RTS game that brought nothing new to the table. The interface was quite unwieldy and dated considering it came out in 1998. The actual strategy/tactics emphasis was quite low, and battles were mostly stats vs stats and numbers vs numbers.
  17. Aug 19, 2011
    a very overrated game. even at the time it was made, it had poor graphics, horrible UI, just plain annoying resource collection. ridiculously low unit cap (there are 20 people on the ENTIRE PLANET) terrible unit AI requiring silly amounts micromanagement. has a horrible case of scissors paper rock, made worse by the small selection of units. it has two saving graces- firstly its story isa very overrated game. even at the time it was made, it had poor graphics, horrible UI, just plain annoying resource collection. ridiculously low unit cap (there are 20 people on the ENTIRE PLANET) terrible unit AI requiring silly amounts micromanagement. has a horrible case of scissors paper rock, made worse by the small selection of units. it has two saving graces- firstly its story is fairly ok, but this is fairly extraneous on a multiplayer oriented game. secondly, it has the best support for any game ever. but while lack of polish can break a game, lots of polish does not make a game Expand
  18. ErikS
    Jun 12, 2009
    I bought this game and though it was going to be a cool game like halflife but instead I got some crappy graphics game with some guys running around on a dirty map Waste of money, DO NOT GET IT
  19. SyedS
    Nov 27, 2009
    What makes StarCraft stand out is it brilliant campaign. The briefings are boring, which adds simply nothing, you can say. The gameplay seems tedious, the process getting easier and not so hard campaign. The story is great although at some point confusing. Overall I give 7, something I didn't expect from Blizzard.
  20. Oct 2, 2010
    I still remember coming home from school to play this game with friends and stopping just in time for bed time and thinking "I forgot to eat again" ah the good days~
  21. Nov 20, 2014
    Starcraft is a challenging yet fun-to-play Real Time Strategy game. It is especially enjoyable when playing the multiplayer with friends or online opponents.
  22. bradsamuels
    Aug 27, 2007
    Hands down the best PC game ever made, especially if you look at the RTS genre. Critics don't know shit about real time strategy, just because something isn't flashy or new they dock points... metacritic has something seriously wrong with it if this isn't even in top 20 and a sports simulator is top 5.
  23. JacksonStains
    Sep 25, 2008
    One of the best RTS games ever! 3 completely balanced factions that are extremely distinctive and imaginative. Great gameplay. The graphics may be out of date for sure but 10 years after the original the most amazing game is about to get released. Starcraft 2!!! Fixes all graphical issues and takes the battle to places that can't be competed with. Adds so much more to the fantasticOne of the best RTS games ever! 3 completely balanced factions that are extremely distinctive and imaginative. Great gameplay. The graphics may be out of date for sure but 10 years after the original the most amazing game is about to get released. Starcraft 2!!! Fixes all graphical issues and takes the battle to places that can't be competed with. Adds so much more to the fantastic original. 10 years was well worth the wait! Expand
  24. Z.Y.
    Apr 11, 2003
    The best in the class in the time of release. it can stand up to warcraft III even, although the graphics are not cutting edge, the story and playing fun factor is simply the best.
  25. CaseyF.
    Mar 30, 2003
    Still playing it years after its release! Multiplayer is simply the best ever made.
  26. JoeF.
    Aug 10, 2003
    This is the best on line RTS ever. It is so balanced and with all the UMS it never gets old.
  27. MarkW.
    Sep 25, 2003
    Do not believe any review here less than 90%!! This is one of the (if not THE) best computer games ever, and certainly the best RTS. It has everything that makes a great game: good interface, great gameplay, high replayability, great multiplayer, the graphics and sound work with the game and don't overload your system. It is simply a solid 10, and I can continue to enjoy this game Do not believe any review here less than 90%!! This is one of the (if not THE) best computer games ever, and certainly the best RTS. It has everything that makes a great game: good interface, great gameplay, high replayability, great multiplayer, the graphics and sound work with the game and don't overload your system. It is simply a solid 10, and I can continue to enjoy this game over 5 yrs after it's release. Expand
  28. JustinM.
    Jan 18, 2004
    Best RTS ever and one of my favorite games of all time.
  29. DanielL.
    Mar 9, 2004
    Whoever said this was not the best RTS needs therapy. Blizzard's greatest creation. We still play it after 506 years reguarly. Anything below 95 is a disappointing review
  30. Marc
    Mar 21, 2004
    Few games amaze on first impression, bring a tear upon further exploration...and leave a lasting smile of satisfaction upon completion...even after 5 years. A truly brilliant execution of presentation with gameplay.
  31. JavierP.
    May 14, 2004
    This game is so great I cant find the right word to describe it but just simply as , A Masterpeice. This is the best RTS no doubt about it. Everything about this game is so amazing, the graphics, the story, the cinematics, the gameplay, the music, the distinct races and their units, even the free on-line multiplayer feature is great. This game truly belongs to be on all gamers hall-of-fame games.
  32. JackRipoff
    Jun 5, 2004
    This game is really fun.
  33. OscarM.
    Jun 2, 2004
    I think this is the best game ever made, becuase even years ago it was developed a lot of people is still playing it. I love this game, it is the game of the century!!!!!!!
  34. Joe"killallterrin"J.
    May 29, 2004
    This the best rts ever!! better the command and conquer and everthing!!!!! great action, but the graphics are a bit sub-par.
  35. KeppoS.
    Aug 11, 2004
    Brilliant gameplay, races, technic etc., and most important, excellent multiplayer. I can just recommend this awesome game.
  36. Jelly_Bean_Man
    Sep 29, 2004
    Im sorry, is that an 88? That makes me ever so pissed. Cincinnati- its not original?????? GO ON BATTLE NET AND LOOK AT ALL THE MAPS. The map editor alone is worth the price right now. Even after (1..2..3..) 8 years, its still a hit. Go on BNET, every day there's like at least 3000 people playing starcraft. I will admit however, that the single player is slightly less fun, but still. Im sorry, is that an 88? That makes me ever so pissed. Cincinnati- its not original?????? GO ON BATTLE NET AND LOOK AT ALL THE MAPS. The map editor alone is worth the price right now. Even after (1..2..3..) 8 years, its still a hit. Go on BNET, every day there's like at least 3000 people playing starcraft. I will admit however, that the single player is slightly less fun, but still. If you can't get online (heaven forbid) and you love the game and want to. Email me. I will GIVE you the internet system required to get online (no i won't, but my intentions are good) :). And to all of those who say Starcraft is an old, crappy, obsolete game, i say, in the word's of Moe(the simpsons) IM GOING TO STICK SAUSAGES DOWN YOUR THROAT AND STUFF STARVING DOGS UP YOUR BUTT. (Yes, my name on sc online is jelly_bean_man) Collapse
  37. IvanS.
    Dec 6, 2004
    Breathtaking. The best RTS I have ever played. Manages to fit so many different styles of play and strategy into one game, yet still maintaining the balance. Presentation is extraordinary and atmosphere is unparalleled and unique. If you care anything for RTS's, pick up SC. WC3 has nothing on this shimmering gem.
  38. JaviF.
    Dec 21, 2004
    This is by far the best game ever made!!! And if u dont believe me go online and check out all the pep that are STILL PLAYING IT AFTER 8 YEARS!!!!!
    Feb 5, 2005
    The best RTS ever!
  40. PaulM.
    Feb 24, 2005
    This game took months of my life away. Simply the most addicting game ever!!
  41. RandalD.
    May 2, 2005
    Amazin GAME.
  42. Bunnypants
    Jun 14, 2005
    This is the best RTS game every produced. *sigh* Why hasn't Blizzard come out with Starcraft 2? And to criticize the critics, you guys are stupid not to give this game the highest of marks.
  43. Geckat
    Jun 26, 2005
    I'm going to have to go with these guys here. What's wrong with these critics? This game has won video game of the year both for the original AND Brood War. This game still pwns after so long, and it makes me sad that I can't play BW anymore because it broke in my CD-ROM. Blizzard really got on the shelves with this game, and I can't believe they're spending more I'm going to have to go with these guys here. What's wrong with these critics? This game has won video game of the year both for the original AND Brood War. This game still pwns after so long, and it makes me sad that I can't play BW anymore because it broke in my CD-ROM. Blizzard really got on the shelves with this game, and I can't believe they're spending more time one WoW when SC has made them more comparative moolah then any of their other games. Expand
  44. Somthing
    Jul 13, 2005
    Well now i think its still awesome even though the graphics are a bit off but back then the graphics were beautiful and now the action the gameplay still better I think its better then warcraft 3 if they ever make starcraft 2 its over cuz i cant wait to see the graphics and the gameplay mostly the gameplay.
  45. Thorax
    Oct 10, 2005
    This game is beautiful, awesome, never gets old, one of those rare gamse that always remain playable and enjoyable. I love zergs!
  46. AaronS.
    Jan 14, 2006
    It's a cool game to play best game i'v played on pc by far.
  47. JB
    Aug 11, 2006
    I don't ordinarily like RTS games. I like Starcraft. Great story, loads of fun little missions (especially with the expansion, which I suggest you get as well), good sound and fun army building. One of the original Blizzard trilogy with Warcraft and Diablo. Worth getting.
  48. JiangboS.
    Sep 4, 2006
    The Best RTS game ever brilliant story-line and perfect balance for e races. This game is all about strategy, especially when play against other players.
  49. PavelK.
    Sep 24, 2006
    Best game for ever!
  50. UnmeelB.
    Oct 6, 2006
    Most brilliantly designed multiplayer RTS ever, AND with a kickass single player story. Theres a reason this is THE most competitively played RTS of all time, with hundreds of thousands of people still playing EIGHT AND A HALF YEARS LATER. Hell, I still play this game. Along with an immensely steep skill curve in multiplayer, it has one of the most balanced and deep assymetrical race Most brilliantly designed multiplayer RTS ever, AND with a kickass single player story. Theres a reason this is THE most competitively played RTS of all time, with hundreds of thousands of people still playing EIGHT AND A HALF YEARS LATER. Hell, I still play this game. Along with an immensely steep skill curve in multiplayer, it has one of the most balanced and deep assymetrical race deisgns ever- it pioneered the concept. GG. Expand
  51. AlexP.
    Oct 25, 2006
    A great RTS. Thousands of players still play, even eight years after it's release in 1998. Once you play this, you will be hooked!
  52. ZymS.
    Oct 31, 2006
    I have been playing this game sincec it first came out in the 90's and I still pull it out and play from time to time. Story line and gameplay all ways keep me invalved. The came has yet to fined an equal, many have attempted to duplicate it but nun have succeded.
  53. JeffC.
    Mar 25, 2007
    This is the best Real-Time Strategy game ever. It has three races, all are completely different, which makes for some interesting tactics. This games three races are perfectly balanced, unlike Age of Empires when all of the civilizations are exactly the same, so there is much more strategy involved in Starcraft. This game is incredibly cheap at 20 dollars with its Expansion Set and This is the best Real-Time Strategy game ever. It has three races, all are completely different, which makes for some interesting tactics. This games three races are perfectly balanced, unlike Age of Empires when all of the civilizations are exactly the same, so there is much more strategy involved in Starcraft. This game is incredibly cheap at 20 dollars with its Expansion Set and strategy guides included. This is a must buy for anybody who likes strategy games in general. Expand
  54. Alex
    Mar 29, 2007
    Starcraft is definitely the best game I've ever played. I stilil play online to this day to the point of total addiction. I've tried playing other RTS but I have yet to find any that are as challenging.
  55. HyungK.
    Apr 9, 2007
    Arguably the most balanced RTS game ever created. Even 8 years after it hit the market, it still has a very strong following outside of South Korea. This game is that standard in which all other games of it's genre will be compared to.
  56. Barlog
    Jun 24, 2007
    Only 88%? And no 100 rating by critics? Starcraf's got perfect single, multi and editor! And what about much worse Warcraft 3? it had better ratings, while it's much worse than Starcraft or WC2.
  57. QueenofBlades
    Aug 9, 2007
    Best game ever period. Just the fact that its still in stores 10 years after its release, not mentioning its the second best selling game ever behind the sims, shows how awesome the game is.
  58. DJIm
    Sep 24, 2007
    Best RTS ever... The balance is so amazing, that it's still immensely popular 10 years after its release when hundreds of far flashier RTSs have had the opportunity to swipe ideas from it. And the single player is brilliantly designed, so that a person who never played an RTS can pick it up without opening a manual, and become an expert by the end with all 3 races. Never played Best RTS ever... The balance is so amazing, that it's still immensely popular 10 years after its release when hundreds of far flashier RTSs have had the opportunity to swipe ideas from it. And the single player is brilliantly designed, so that a person who never played an RTS can pick it up without opening a manual, and become an expert by the end with all 3 races. Never played another game that did any of those things as well as SC, and SC: BW. Expand
  59. I.A.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Still the best RTS ever, and the only game EVER to reach the status of a national sport, no more needs to be said, don't mind the piss poor excuse for a game critics that are 4 of the reviewers.
  60. PatrikcA.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Simple gameplay, complex strategies no frame lag if comp is less than 6 years old BEST RTS ONLINE EVER coop scenarios are abundant custom maps are common never a dull moment graphics are the only weak point BUT who realy needs graphics gameplay is 100% key for long term success.
  61. DonaldB.
    Nov 25, 2007
    This is an incredibly solid, balanced, fun, and addicting game. The very fact that people still spend hours playing it on Battle.net every day even ten years after its release is a testament to the power of actually giving a hoot and caring about game quality on the developers' part.
  62. AlexS.
    Dec 7, 2007
    It changed the face and set the pace of the RTS world, and no RTS game has more of an online cult following nor an equal paid-competitive (See South Korea) scene as Starcraft. Flawless balance!
  63. Xapti
    Jan 20, 2008
    Very well balanced making for great competitive play. Unique units among all races. Other than workers, none are evven similar! Very little automation or advanced commands makes the game very simple. Not too many units, and only 3 damage/armor types to know. While it may seem simple, the great part is that it takes hellishly large amounts of skill, to scout, predict what your Very well balanced making for great competitive play. Unique units among all races. Other than workers, none are evven similar! Very little automation or advanced commands makes the game very simple. Not too many units, and only 3 damage/armor types to know. While it may seem simple, the great part is that it takes hellishly large amounts of skill, to scout, predict what your opponent's doing, fake strategies, innovate strategies, useful to have good micromanagement, etc. Expand
  64. HydraliskZ
    Jan 21, 2008
    I wish SC2 is just like an expansion gives some new units and better graphics because StarCraft is already the BEST real time strategy game.
  65. GiacomoP.
    Mar 12, 2008
    I think this game has been underrated by critics because they didn't know the impact it was going to have. It's an extremely well-balanced game with a great story and gameplay.
  66. ZakD.
    Mar 14, 2008
    Best real time strategy ever.
  67. someguy
    Apr 29, 2008
    Greatest RTS ever made hands down. This game defines competitive multiplayer, the difference in skill between players is unbelievable, there are guys that can take on 3-4 people at once.... The balance of the game is just about perfect, and the variety and completely different play styles for each race is amazing. 10 years later this game is still so amazing playing online. Warcraft III Greatest RTS ever made hands down. This game defines competitive multiplayer, the difference in skill between players is unbelievable, there are guys that can take on 3-4 people at once.... The balance of the game is just about perfect, and the variety and completely different play styles for each race is amazing. 10 years later this game is still so amazing playing online. Warcraft III added some niceties,,,,some of which went against the competitive nature of this game but in the end this game is a way better competitive experience. Expand
  68. JoeS.
    May 22, 2008
    A decade later and this is still my favorite game of all time and I still play it on a regular basis. The storyline is fantastic, the single player is very rewarding and worth playing through over and over again, the gameplay is perfectly balanced, and so very much fun overall. Even a decade later it still beats the pants off of every other game I've played to date. I doubt that even A decade later and this is still my favorite game of all time and I still play it on a regular basis. The storyline is fantastic, the single player is very rewarding and worth playing through over and over again, the gameplay is perfectly balanced, and so very much fun overall. Even a decade later it still beats the pants off of every other game I've played to date. I doubt that even the sequel will be better than this game. Expand
  69. WKHo
    Jun 25, 2008
    Simply the best RTS of all time. So many permutations one can use in winning the game. Still amazing gameplay after around 10 years.
  70. Anonymous
    Jul 2, 2008
    If you can accept the poor graphics in this game, it will blow you away. Each race is totally unique and balanced, and mostly everything that is offered is required to reach victory. Everything has a counter, and taking better positions extremely affects outcome of the battle. Since all statistics and abilities are simple and easily understood, there is no such thing as luck in Starcraft, If you can accept the poor graphics in this game, it will blow you away. Each race is totally unique and balanced, and mostly everything that is offered is required to reach victory. Everything has a counter, and taking better positions extremely affects outcome of the battle. Since all statistics and abilities are simple and easily understood, there is no such thing as luck in Starcraft, and this simplicity makes it perfect. Good multiplayer and custom maps also get this game hard to be bored of. Expand
  71. SmudgeS.
    Jul 3, 2008
    I've been playing Starcraft since its inception, and now more than 10 years later I still haven't found a game that is more pleasurable, noob-friendly and yet intricate and involved, and whose graphics have stood the test of time. Blizzard's best work on show here...and that's saying something!
  72. LebT.
    Jul 11, 2008
    Best RTS of all time... DON'T listen to these idiot "critics" (Game Revolution) who only played the game for 2 days to meet a deadline for their boss and only gave it a 75%. Unparalleled online experience in its genre.
  73. Hudson
    Jul 14, 2008
    10 year ago this game came out, and it is still a great game. complex enough that it isn't a walk through the breeze, but simple enough that everyone can pick up on. Multiplaying is the most challenging aspects of this game considering that you don't play against the computer's AI.
  74. SteveJ.
    Aug 6, 2008
    Hands down the best RTS ever. When it originally came out, I would have agreed with a score of 88, but I had no idea (like a lot of the critics) how big the online competition would become, how much of a social phenomenon the game would be, how the balance would continue to be tweaked to perfection, etc. 10/10
  75. DBomb
    Sep 2, 2008
    This is THE RTS. After years it still is fresh and has a cult-like following across the globe. A game has to be amazing to support professional players, which Starcraft does: South Korean professional starcraft gamers have celebrity status and the top make more many than an exec. Now that is gaming!
  76. AlexR.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Ten years later, this is still the RTS I personally recommend. So the graphics aren't as pretty as other RTS (COUGHTODAYCOUGH), so what? The gameplay is still addicting, some later campaign missions are still difficult compared to other RTS of today, and the three races are virtually perfectly balanced. Not to mention you still have a massive online community for a game ten years Ten years later, this is still the RTS I personally recommend. So the graphics aren't as pretty as other RTS (COUGHTODAYCOUGH), so what? The gameplay is still addicting, some later campaign missions are still difficult compared to other RTS of today, and the three races are virtually perfectly balanced. Not to mention you still have a massive online community for a game ten years running. But the campaign/story itself. Yes I did say that it would be very challenging later on but the beginning is quite novice friendly with the difficulty. But the story overall will MAKE you want to get Brood War and later SC2 once it comes out in the near future, yes it is a pretty good story. Honestly I don't think I've ever run into a problem in this game. Sure the online connectivity to other users computers can be frustrating once in a while. But even if you took out the online part of the game, the single player part of it is just as fun. Expand
  77. WojtekW
    Jan 26, 2009
    The score for this game needs to be updated. There is no way its only 88. "Thank God for cold fusion" "You Pig ! ; What? I didn't say anything. ; no, but you were thinking it ! " "I love you sarge" I lost jobs and GFs for this game. No game ever came close to the perfection of starcraft. Best game ever made. Awesome single player. (with awesome cinematics) Bnet was amazing when SC The score for this game needs to be updated. There is no way its only 88. "Thank God for cold fusion" "You Pig ! ; What? I didn't say anything. ; no, but you were thinking it ! " "I love you sarge" I lost jobs and GFs for this game. No game ever came close to the perfection of starcraft. Best game ever made. Awesome single player. (with awesome cinematics) Bnet was amazing when SC came out. The ease of finding games. I wonder how many milions of Big Game Hunters matches have been played. Expand
  78. BonoV
    Apr 10, 2009
    Well, what to say thats haven't been said, I played it for years, first back in the late '90 on my old P233 with 32 MB of RAM, was late in high school because of it :-). Have spent on it hours and hours and don't regret a single minute. By my humble opinion the nearest thing to perfection the game can get and my all time personal favourite. Maybe I'm not 100% objective Well, what to say thats haven't been said, I played it for years, first back in the late '90 on my old P233 with 32 MB of RAM, was late in high school because of it :-). Have spent on it hours and hours and don't regret a single minute. By my humble opinion the nearest thing to perfection the game can get and my all time personal favourite. Maybe I'm not 100% objective but it is still 100/100 game from it's huge and interesting singleplayer to multiplayer to expansion Broodwar and hopefully StarCraft 2. Thanks Blizzard. Greetings from Zg. Expand
  79. SteveS
    Apr 20, 2009
    I think if the world ended in 1999, the would would not have missed much in terms of P.C. gaming. Fallout 2, Half-Life, Grim Fandango, Balder's Gate, Thief, Unreal and Starcraft all came in 1998. Starcraft had a killer matchmaking system and A.I. Coupled with diverse units, races and maps. Ran on a low end machine and was fun, fun, fun. A good fulfilling single player campaign to I think if the world ended in 1999, the would would not have missed much in terms of P.C. gaming. Fallout 2, Half-Life, Grim Fandango, Balder's Gate, Thief, Unreal and Starcraft all came in 1998. Starcraft had a killer matchmaking system and A.I. Coupled with diverse units, races and maps. Ran on a low end machine and was fun, fun, fun. A good fulfilling single player campaign to round it out. Expand
  80. LouisP
    May 14, 2009
    What hasn't been said? I played it for years at end, I don't regret all the time which was spent on the multiplayer. It set the standards for any RTS, it revolutionized the entire genre.
  81. EuenFan
    Jun 6, 2009
    Rash M obviously doesn't know anything about Starcraft. "The actual strategy/tactics emphasis was quite low..." Are you kidding me? Starcraft is the ONLY RTS which has been in every single WCG. No emphasis on strategy/tactics, psh. Don't judge something you obviously have no idea about. Starcraft is by far, the most complete, most balanced RTS ever made. After 10 years, Rash M obviously doesn't know anything about Starcraft. "The actual strategy/tactics emphasis was quite low..." Are you kidding me? Starcraft is the ONLY RTS which has been in every single WCG. No emphasis on strategy/tactics, psh. Don't judge something you obviously have no idea about. Starcraft is by far, the most complete, most balanced RTS ever made. After 10 years, Starcraft is still being revolutionized in terms of gameplay. If you don't believe me, just look at the Korean Starcraft scene. This game is golden. Expand
  82. RickardS.
    Apr 25, 2003
    This is the best balanced multi-player RTS game ever made. We still play it every time we bring our computers together for 20h of non-stop LAN fighting. Low complexity without being boring. Fast pace... a 10.
  83. JesseTheNoob
    Oct 26, 2009
    Best RTS Game ever made, i must agree that the score needs to be updated 88 is simply too low. this is easily one of the best video games ever created and is the best multiplayer game ther is, no question. it is so balanced, and it is complex enough to make you think and stategize against others, but it is easy enough to learn without too much trouble. Double thumbs up and 11 ot of 10
  84. SeanO
    Nov 6, 2009
    A completely new, incredibly innovative, absolutely must-have game for the PC. With a massive amount of maps and an overall decent online experience, this game should not be overlooked. If you don't know Starcraft, you don't know RTS.
  85. MarekM
    Nov 18, 2009
    Good plot, interesting campaign, great playability. As singleplayer this game is great strategy, need thinking and planning (especially in Brood War), and does have THIS. Even it's really primitive, it's great, I can hardly understand, why it's so addicting, but it realy is. As a multiplayer: it's not a strategy, it requires to much agility (>250apm is for people with Good plot, interesting campaign, great playability. As singleplayer this game is great strategy, need thinking and planning (especially in Brood War), and does have THIS. Even it's really primitive, it's great, I can hardly understand, why it's so addicting, but it realy is. As a multiplayer: it's not a strategy, it requires to much agility (>250apm is for people with ADHD, not for strategists). Expand
  86. ViniciusR
    Dec 23, 2009
    StarCraft became more than a game. Became the reference in competitive gaming, leading a revolution in what we know today as e-Sports, giving birth to legends such as Lim Yo-Hwan. This masterpiece is arguably one of the greatest games ever made. For me, it is.
  87. PaulE.
    Jan 27, 2010
    One of the best games I have ever played...not the first of it's kind, but arguably the best of it's kind!
  88. Dec 28, 2010
    Even this game is pushing on 13 years old it is still one of the best RTS games ever released for PC/MAC, and until Starcraft II, the best game released by Blizzard ever!
  89. May 29, 2011
    One of greatest RTS of all time, but personally im not a big fan of how its all about APM. "You snooze, you lose" is very accurate for this game, you must be 100% focused when playing it. No wonder its treated more as a sport than a game.
  90. Jul 5, 2011
    I used to play this game back in the day with an old friend of mine, this game was just plain fun at the time it was a must have if you like strategy games.
  91. Jul 20, 2011
    This has to be the best RTS iv ever played! 3 different chapters with 3 different groups and some levals that you really got to put up a good fight and make good strategy's and decisions and just a really fun game, it even has multiplayer if you get bord with the campain. Create classes, make building to help further your base and then destroy the enemy. This is a really solid PC game.
  92. Oct 13, 2011
    Blizzard had become the evil empire of gaming, perhaps even more so than EA since the release of WoW - but you cannot deny the incredible ingenuity and epic scope of the games they made before that time.
    Starcraft was not the first RTS that Blizzard made (all the Warcraft titles) but was certainly the best. Anyone criticizing this game for anything needs to have their head hit against a wall.
    This game is so good, it is literally a national sport in Korea. The guys who win the national championship for this game are put on the Wheaties box - yes, just like Olympic athletes. Unreal.
    This is one of the best games ever, and certainly the best RTS ever - the incredible balance of the game has never been equaled since.
    Play this game now - then go play StarCraft II, it is not as good, but far more updated.
  93. Nov 2, 2011
    The best RTS period! Drop a copy on any old computer you can find and give away! Put a copy on your new computer for nostalgia! This old game don't really get that old.
  94. Jan 1, 2012
    Best RTS ever released for a few simple reasons.
    Its 3 solo campaigns are perfectly balanced from start to end, perfectly scripted, versatile, challenging and supported by an intense storyline that easily outshines other rts.
    Best RTS ever released for a few simple reasons.
    Multiplayer and matchmaking was close to beeing perfectly balanced on release and just needed a few minor fixes to reach a level that allowed starcraft to be the nr.1 platform for competetive gaming in rts genre.
    Every single unit of the 3 races in this game has its value and it is just up to the player if he can make use of it or not. A hand full of the cheapest units can be enough to win a game even after a long game of for example an hour. This is also what seperates starcraft from other games.
  95. Jan 7, 2012
    Epic. After almost 14 years, I still play it with my friends. Although his game created e-sports thanks to battle.net, its best multiplayer mode is LAN! LAN ftw!
  96. Feb 27, 2012
    Classic game.
    Best RTS ever.
    On the golden table in Hall of fame for PC games.
    Just one word: Starcraft !
    10 of 10 and no other mentions to consider).
  97. Mar 9, 2012
    Blizzard is master at creating games that require skill, thinking or planning. Starcraft requires all of them and plays out beautifully, on top of a good story.
  98. Apr 7, 2012
    Starcraft is truly a landmark RTS game, and an absolute joy to play. I have spent hour upon hour playing this game and every moment was worth the experience. Even today Starcraft is still played, which is a testament to it's brilliant design.
  99. Jun 17, 2012
    Starcraft is a classic. Today,it is still one of the most popular franchises in the world! Yes its player base is set mostly in south Korea, but the skill involved in veteran game play is unbelievable! Imagine playing any other game with over 300 APM, not many games can claim that. It's too bad Blizzard (the producers of the game) set their sights on other projects including Diablo III andStarcraft is a classic. Today,it is still one of the most popular franchises in the world! Yes its player base is set mostly in south Korea, but the skill involved in veteran game play is unbelievable! Imagine playing any other game with over 300 APM, not many games can claim that. It's too bad Blizzard (the producers of the game) set their sights on other projects including Diablo III and Starcraft 2 - it's projected to die within the year. Expand
  100. Jul 1, 2012
    This is truly the best RTS out there. Its very skill based game with a really competitive game design combined with a balanced unit design. Just watching the games of competitive players is fun and entertaining.

1. If real aliens turn up while you are playing this, they don’t stand a chance of getting your attention.
  2. You get a fun, instantly appealing, easy to play-hard to master real-time strategy, with character and an endless amount of playability.
  3. It truly revolutionizes and sets a new standard for real-time strategy games on the PC.