8.3

1. Feb 1, 2015
    This started it and led to Starpoint Gemini 2. This game is not perfect, but considering enthusiasm of developers that brough it to us, I have to respect it. I still play it and I still love it.
  2. Feb 2, 2015
    Voice acting is a kind of funny since it was made by developers themselvs who are not native english speakers but it gives a certain charm to the game. This is not a bad game, whatever PC Gamer says. They game Starpoint Gemini 2 80+, but this 18 is really not a valid score.
  3. Feb 2, 2015
    This is not the game that should be taken lightly. It's not easy to master, but it's rewarding. You can't review it after 30 minutes of playing, but after 5-10 hours, you start to realize the potential. And it's still miles away from Starpoint Gemini 2 which is a masterpiece.
  4. Mar 24, 2011
    Reminiscent of the old Starfleet Command. The controls are basically the same. In my book that's a good thing. SG expands on that and offers free-roaming and RPG! The campaign is quest based, but here you're also given the freedom of choosing exactly when you'll continue the story. If you want to explore or gather more XP or get a stronger ship, you can halt the storyline and return to itReminiscent of the old Starfleet Command. The controls are basically the same. In my book that's a good thing. SG expands on that and offers free-roaming and RPG! The campaign is quest based, but here you're also given the freedom of choosing exactly when you'll continue the story. If you want to explore or gather more XP or get a stronger ship, you can halt the storyline and return to it later.If you want to avoid the campaign story altogether, then its easier to simply start the second scenario; a free roam scenario.
    The campaign is very good. Maybe a bit too much text, but overall very enjoyable and refreshing. The great thing about the main quests is that you never feel like you're doing the same thing. Even when you're transporting your troopers onto a station for the third time, you still feel the mission is unique. Developer has done a great job of camouflaging it.
    Freeroaming is another treat. There's something for everybody: mining, freelancing, trading, looting. Great variety.
    Combat is very good. You have to watch out from which angle your enemy is approaching to minimize incoming damage with your shields. Orientation is also important for your weapons as well. Each weapon has its firing arc and using weapons at the right time is essential. In that whole mixture, there are also skills (which the developer called maneuvers). Around thirty of them in total. Some great, some not so much.
    On top of that there are also passive bonuses (perks) that you can choose when getting a new rank. Then there are also ship abilities: unique actions linked to a specific ship. .. There's so much in this game that a short review cannot do it justice. I recommend downloading the demo and trying it out yourself.
    HIGH POINTS: tactical combat, RPG, ship upgrading (a lot of variety), many different ships with unique abilities, SFX, freeroam
    I definitely recommend it! Especially for fans of Starfleet Command.
  5. Mar 25, 2011
    It's the great game! Seriously. I haven't had this much fun since Starfleet Command 3. You just don't get seem to get decent space game like this any more. If you liked space, you'll love this. Equipping your ship with an absolute arsenal of weapons and then kicking some pirate butts :) Starpoint Gemini is truly some work of art and not to be missed.

(only minus is no multiplayer, but

(only minus is no multiplayer, but its a fun singleplayer game)
  6. Feb 22, 2012
    This game is not bad. Not bad at all. An interesting hybrid of genres. Combat and tactical part is good fun, but could use some polishing, while the RPG elements are somewhat confusing at first sight, but well implemented in reality. The gameplay offers a large set of possibilities during trading, exploration and combat. Player has extensive freedom in managing his own ship, her statisticsThis game is not bad. Not bad at all. An interesting hybrid of genres. Combat and tactical part is good fun, but could use some polishing, while the RPG elements are somewhat confusing at first sight, but well implemented in reality. The gameplay offers a large set of possibilities during trading, exploration and combat. Player has extensive freedom in managing his own ship, her statistics and crew. When you learn to handle all gameplay elements, a lot of them, you get to, in my opinion, the best part of the game. The geographical borders of this space are huge. Over 50 sectors sufficiently packed with factions, pirates, traders, anomaly, asteroid fields and stations. On the other side, this game does have some bugs. I haven't encounter any game stopping bug, but there are some annoying problems throughout the scenario. To conclude, I think Starpoint Gemini is a game worth investing time, but it needs time to get to you. It is also a challenging game experience that will probably be more welcomed by old school gamers. Expand
  7. Apr 4, 2011
    My opinion is that Starpoint Gemini is definitely worth playing. It is somewhat slow at the start, but later picks up just fine. It is not one of those new school games that you play without brain and using two controls. It is more demanding, but if you give it enough time, you will be rewarded. Aside from questionable voiceovers and some smaller glitches (most are already fixed inMy opinion is that Starpoint Gemini is definitely worth playing. It is somewhat slow at the start, but later picks up just fine. It is not one of those new school games that you play without brain and using two controls. It is more demanding, but if you give it enough time, you will be rewarded. Aside from questionable voiceovers and some smaller glitches (most are already fixed in patches), this is a true gamers game. There is no multiplayer, but singleplay is very well composed. Interesting plot, unique characters in the story, vast designed space and a sense of a real living universe. Also, if you dislike the story, you can avoid it completely and enjoy all the space sectors on your own. Possibilities are numerous, roaming around. fighting pirates or members of the official military, trading, mining. Once you earn some credits and experience, you can purchase larger and more powerful ships, and then further customize them using many different ship's and weapon's systems. You also develop your own statistics as a captain (and your crews statistics) as you level up through experience.
    As for the interface system, I think there was room for improvements here. Sometimes it gets confusing because there are so many slots, buttons and ways to combine them. The best way is to check the game's manual if you get stuck.
    Graphics is, in my opinion very solid. Not AA class, but designed with some old fashion charm. Battle effects are awesome, and once you get yourself in the middle of the fight against dozen of ships, all the weapons flying around, special abilities going off and stuff...a real eye candy.
    The bottom line is, I think this is the game for more demanding players. It requires you do some effort to master it, but when you succeed, it will reward you with gameplay rarely seen today. Too bad the developers obviously lacked the logistics to produce the AA class title, but they are on the right road with Starpoint Gemini, and I do hope we will see the sequel. This genre hybrid of the "Starfleet Command meets Freelancer" definiotely has my vote.
  8. Aug 16, 2013
    I bought the game when it was on sale even though some reviewers bashed it. I'm happy to report that most of the faults have been patched/cleared (enough that I can no longer find any noteworthy flaws) The game isn't pricey and offers many hours of gameplay replay value because of the RPG system) Just serves to prove that dedicated dev support can save a game.
  9. Sep 1, 2013
    I don't know why Metacritic score is this low for SPG. It's a nice game which has its issues, of course. but it's and indie game made with very low budget. It can't be compared to Freelancer or Eve online which had 100 times bigger budget.

Voiceovers are a bit clumsy, but developers didn't have the budget to pay for professional voice acting. Whole game was made with approximately 20k euros and pro voice acting alone was 60k. So focus on the things this game has. It's really worth playing, it has a nice storyline, it has a nice open world, plenty of interesting missions and really cool space battles.

Well, listen to gamers, not critics. Critics are based on their payrolls, gamers are reviewing the gameplay. And of course, support little developers like these and not the big corporations like EA or Blizzard. Cause teams like these make games for gamers, and corporations make games for profit.
  10. Jun 26, 2012
    If you used to like the old Starfleet Battles games, you're going to like this game. It's not a casual game, you have to take your time learning the ropes - but it's worth the hassle. It's not a fast-paced high-adrenaline game, it's more a simulation of a spaceship captain's life.

If this is what you're looking for, you won't be disappointed.
  11. Feb 2, 2015
    The critic score does not reflect the quality of this game in any way. Players know better it seems. They always do. This game is far away from its sequel but it's pretty good nevertheless.
  12. Feb 2, 2015
    For anyone that like Starfleet Command, this game is a decent buy. I would recommend buying Starpoint Gemini 2 since devs promised original Starpoint Gemini mod port for free.
  13. Feb 2, 2015
    Fun, immersive, with average voice acting but I'm statisfied with the experience afterall. A bit of RPG, a bit of RTS, a bit of sim, everything is does properly.
  14. Feb 2, 2015
    Epic game with nice graphics even for today's standards. And if you didn't play Starpoint Gemini 2, I urge you to get it. It's twice as epic, twice fun.
  15. Feb 2, 2015
    I decided to give this one a shot and boy am I glad for that! Excellent music by Valdi Sabev, nice story, interesting ship design and I love the russian accent on main characters. :)
  16. Feb 2, 2015
    Fun game, although it was released a bit unpolished. Developers quickly patched it, and it became one of my favorite space games. Timebreach expansion was epic addition.
  17. Feb 3, 2015
    Fans of old games like Starfleet Command will most likely adore this little gem. Of course, it has its minor issues, but it's highly addictive and fun.
  18. Feb 3, 2015
    No doubt, one of the games you will either worship (if you love the genre) or hate (if something is wrong with you). I worship it, it rocks. Go Gemini go!
  19. Feb 3, 2015
    Do not bother with reading "trusted reviews" cause there are not trusted by any sane user for years now. Metacritic lost its credibility and it's here basically to give advantage to the highest bidder. This game was made by a small indie team and it's amazing as majority of users agree.
  20. Feb 3, 2015
    A year ago I loved this. And I still do. But since we have Starpoint Gemini 2 now I will not tell you to buy the original. Buy the sequel because it's as good as it gets. Developers also intend to make a full conversion mod of the original and port it to Starpoint Gemini 2. For free. So one more reason not to buy this, but to definately buy Starpoint Gemini 2. Peace out.
  21. Feb 3, 2015
    Music - good.
    Story - good.
    Gameplay - good.
    Graphics - good.
    Sound - good.

Overall impressions are excellent. It's a fun game, but if you never played it, go straight to Starpoint Gemini 2 which is brilliant!

1. Apr 16, 2012
    Unfinished, unpolished. [May 2012, p.87]
  2. Mar 22, 2012
    Caught between being a space sim, a real-time strategy game, and a role-playing game, Starpoint Gemini tries to do a little bit of everything, and fails to do anything well.
  3. Mar 22, 2012
    Starpoint Gemini struggles to deliver a proper space simulation experience: the story is badly told, graphics aren't good, roleplaying and strategic elements are shadowed by a bidimensional universe and a persisent slow feeling.