6.8

1. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is bad, and the people who made it should feel bad.

The problems start as soon as the game does. The introductory credits and in-game "cutscenes" are both unskippable. This is a cardinal sin in video game design and shows the quality of thought put into this title. Honestly, they teach that this is a bad idea in introductory design courses. The controls are badly, badly
    This game is bad, and the people who made it should feel bad.

The controls are badly, badly flawed. Keyboard commands will lockup (I am guessing this is a problem with the port as this particular machine is n-rollover) leaving you standing around in the middle of a fight helpless to do anything. A lesser sin, but another brought along from this being a console port is that the keys are not cannot be rebound.

The game's object oriented barriers are problematic as zombies can, and will, walk through walls or teleport across railings. This complicates the many, many close encounter fights as the AI's pathmapping is not particularly well made. This means that entrances such as doors will become crowded as the AI all try to finish the last action queued. This makes barricade missions exceptionally tough when all your friendly AI are bunched at a doorway while the rest of the building is being flooded with enemies.

Speaking of AI, it is horribly coded and whoever did this should stop programming right now and take a job as a fast food cashier. The AI will leave you during missions where you must escort friendly NPCs, which is a large sum of the total missions. Your party member will make a straight run towards the nearest safehouse or base completely oblivious to its surroundings. It will not sneak, it will not deviate from a straight line course (unless to avoid buildings, which it will most likely get stuck on), and it will run head on into a zombie horde, get killed and then the game will penalize you for being stupid enough to bring someone along. God help you if that NPC who had military experience died right before the mission spawned that REQUIRED an NPC with military experience. Its easier to scrap the save and start over when this happens. The game punishes you for its own design flaws.

On the note of bringing someone along, the inventory system is horrible. Actually, let me back up a bit, the entire menu system is a catastrophic failure. You cannot give items to another member of your party forcing you to leave the items, destroy them, or run all the way back to the nearest outpost. The mission log is styled as a notebook, but leaves every entry in one column, sorted chronologically (as per Morrowind). The fatal flaw with this design is that there is no way to easily sort through this information. The longer the game goes on, the longer the list, so the player must sit and go through all entries (details being on a separate page) looking for the relevant information. This COULD have been easily fixed by a tab system in which missions, events, and other notes could have been sorted into their own categories for easy viewing.

Another point is that bringing up the menu does not pause the game, which, if you are in the middle of battle and you need to switch weapons (the inventory system does not auto-equip the next available weapon of its type) it will leave you in a lurch. I hope you enjoy the one kicking animation in the game, you will see it a lot. This, along with how difficult the chronological event menu can be to navigate means that you are losing in game time looking for that one entry. NPCs can die, missions can spawn, and you can get your face eaten off while you try to find out if you completed that one task you got yesterday or not.

Time, now this is an interesting bit. The game's autosave feature seems to be... rather particular, about what it does or does not remember. If you are getting surrounded by zombies and are going to die you can simply exit the game (as long as you are not knocked to the ground) and you will teleport to the base at the dawn of the next day and all sins are forgiven. Buildings that would have taken a day to build are save-scummed into existence, and your food stockpile does not diminish. You can essentially force the autosaver to give you infinite daylight and respawns, as long as you're quick about it.

The game's high points of base building, missions, supply management, and the 4x of the city are all rather non sequitur. Spawn points for friendly NPCs and missions are random, no building has any realistic benefits over another for outposts, and the whole experience is completely dominated by a random number generator. You can have too much food because those missions spawn, or you can have too little because nothing spawns. It doesn't matter what you built, or how you built it because no event is reliable in this game.

It currently costs 20USD on steam, do not buy it until it is sold for 3USD. At that point its finally at the right price.
  2. Sep 26, 2013
    Please note that this game is only in a stage of testing now, not worth your money to become one of the free testers who pay money to game developer instead. Even it is in complete stage, I recommend you better to avoid this game. Here is my feelings when I have played the xbox version of this game:

ZERO mark should be awarded to a game full of bugs or glitches with poor graphics, and with a very punishing auto save feature with intention to destroy players' progress which will save your progress automatically when something bad happens. It also punishes the player when you haven't launched the game for a long time via gradually depleting your collected items in inventory.

A game which ruins player's enjoyment in game play only deserves a zero!
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    Probably the best zombie survival game out there. It has almost everything right, and for a zombie fan, it is definitely 10/10. It's a mix of GTA, action rpg and house building/management. Exactly what was missing in the genre (of the zombies I mean)! To the date of the 1st November it works flawlessly with keyboard and mouse too.
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    As with most games these days, SOD is just another cheap and nasty console game being mass-marketed, but with absolutely no integrity at all as far as PC games are concerned. It's little more than leftover dregs of a very low budget console game.

It has actually been released on PC with no Keyboard/Mouse support which is downright insulting, to make this lazy port even worse, the game has really bad forced mouse acceleration which makes playing with a Mouse impossible and infuriating.

The graphics are reasonable for an indie game, but anyone with a keen eye can spot the inferiority of the textures, water caustics and animation, though its ugliness is well masked with excessive shadowing.

The game mechanics don't offer any real challenge or substance thanks to the simple button-mash combat system and the monotony of tasks you perform. The UI is bad and unsurprisingly console orientated.

All other aspects are trademarks of restrictive linear systems ported straight in from it's brain dead console counterpart.

The days of buying PC titles that are fit for purpose when you pay for them are nearing an end.
  5. Sep 28, 2013
    What PC game release's with mandatory controller use, and no mouse and keyboard support? This goes to show this is nothing but a cash in with no effort put into the port what so ever. Its sad.
  6. Oct 6, 2013
    This version of the game is a port from the Xbox to the PC and is filled with bugs and glitches. There is no mouse or keyboard support. The AI of the zombies and the NPC's is horrible. The game is a funnel game where you are forced to follow a specific path so it is not a true open environment. The shooting/aiming of weapons is awful and clumsy. Driving a car is, in my opinion, the worstThis version of the game is a port from the Xbox to the PC and is filled with bugs and glitches. There is no mouse or keyboard support. The AI of the zombies and the NPC's is horrible. The game is a funnel game where you are forced to follow a specific path so it is not a true open environment. The shooting/aiming of weapons is awful and clumsy. Driving a car is, in my opinion, the worst part of the entire game; I suspect the person who created the driving interface never actually drove a car before so they don't understand the mechanics of being behind the wheel.

I paid $20 for a early copy of the game and I want my money back.

The only thing really good about the game is the graphics are acceptable. They also have designed a good idea concerning setting up a home base, gathering supplies and storing them and also collecting NPC's to protect the home base. Other than these items, the game completely lacks any sort of creativity or skill in design. In other words, save your money and don't purchase it because it completely and totally sucks.
  7. Oct 1, 2013
    I understand that this game is an Early Access scam, but I didn't expect it to be THIS clunky. It feels like there's a good game here, in terms of the core mechanics, but it's severely under-developed. The primitive game engine and art assets might be excusable if they made for smooth gameplay, but to look this terrible, and perform this badly, too?

It's a great concept, but the world

It's a great concept, but the world is ugly as hell, and the gameplay, the combat, the driving, even exploration, it all feels like a chore because of how disjointed and clumsy it is. And then to top it off, it's ridiculously short, really underscoring the lack of resources the devs must be working with. It doesn't feel like anywhere near a complete game. Less of an early access beta, and more like a pre-alpha proof of concept.

Hate to lambast it like this, because it's got a ton of potential, but it doesn't look like it's the sort of potential that will ever come anywhere near being realized.
  8. Nov 13, 2013
    I purchased this hoping to find some DayZ-like game, but... it's like a GTA zombie game, with a strong arcade feel to it. No atmosphere. No realism.

This is an X-Box game. I would like there to be a warning on all such games: "NB! This was made for some crappy console! NOT for PC!" If there was I would know which games NOT to buy.... If I drive a car in this game and hit a zombie he

If I drive a car in this game and hit a zombie he will some times hang on to the car, and apparently hit the car while hanging on to it, ruining my car in the process. Eventually the car will start to burn because I have a zombie hanging on to the front bumper, hitting the hood... WTF?! That's just stupid.

Cars behave like arcade game cars. Even worse than in GTA.

I find ammo one place, but can not pick it up because I have too much in my inventory. When I return 2 minutes later with another character who has room to carry this there is no ammo there anymore. So?! What is the point of scouting when that happens consequently?

I get myself an iron pipe as a melee weapon in this game, but it breaks... so iron pipes break in real life when you hit somebody in the head with it? baseball bats easily break too? Or crowbars? Please can anyone tell me the logic here. They want us to be in deep okay, but they do this by letting our iron pipes break when we hit the zombies in the head? That stinks.

And the "political correctness" of this game is extreme. I am not sure, but did I just buy a pro-internationalism indoctrination program for myself, or did I buy a game? I don't know... maybe both, actually. If you are not European you might like this game.

I played this game for 3 hours. If I could I would throw it hard in the trash bin, but I can only uninstall it, because it is a digital download. I will push the left button on my mouse hard when I do. *spit*

From now on I will read more about a game before I buy it. My mistake.
  9. Oct 21, 2013
    Claims to be "Now you and the few scattered survivors must band together to survive and rebuild in a 3rd-person action game set in a dynamic open world." However, from the get-go it's a story quest driven roller-coaster. very light in the "role playing" department. As you run around questing you'll gain stats that change nothing in the way of gameplay. If you go off alone, your play isClaims to be "Now you and the few scattered survivors must band together to survive and rebuild in a 3rd-person action game set in a dynamic open world." However, from the get-go it's a story quest driven roller-coaster. very light in the "role playing" department. As you run around questing you'll gain stats that change nothing in the way of gameplay. If you go off alone, your play is limited by Exhaustion, which lowers your max stamina 10% every 20 mins. When you run out of stamina, you can't fight, run, etc. So you're dead. How do you avoid exhaustion? Gather survivors! How? You are forced into story quests to rescue other "survivors" who join you, and then proceed to fight and eventually kill each other UNLESS you hold their hands on more "quests" which involve walking to a nearby house and scavenging, which earns you exhaustion. But hey, you found supplies to upgrade your "sleeping area (no beds)" to a "bunkhouse" where you still can't sleep to remove exhaustion; for that, you'll have to switch to a different survivor with no stats (guess it doesn't matter since the stats don't do anything) or log out. Logging out for an hour removes exhaustion. Game gets a 2 for copying GTA driving, running over zombies is cool. Have fun? Expand
  10. Nov 17, 2013
    i have difficulty using the keys they fix assign for pc games, i hate,hate,hate pc games that dont let you remap keys! this should be stamped on all pc games, what a waste of my money. rating the game is impossible if i cant even play it.
  11. Nov 21, 2013
    Just another crappy console port. Read the reviews and everyone will say it is terrible on the mouse and keyboard. For those that say get a xbox controller or whatever, if I wanted to play a game with a controller on a xbox, I would have bought a xbox. I have a PC and would like to play it with PC controls.

Still not possible at this time, PC support is non existent, or they just don't

Still not possible at this time, PC support is non existent, or they just don't care. Bottom line, if your a PC gamer you will want to stay away from this terrible port.
  12. Nov 17, 2013
    Don't buy this "Game". It's just another cheap, broken, bugy console Port. The developers didn't bother to fix it, Basically all the bugs that have been reported in the X-Box version are still present. Adding to the issues the game and gameplay is allready having, the port just turned out horrible. The controlls are clunky, you can't change the keybindings, the mouseacceleration andDon't buy this "Game". It's just another cheap, broken, bugy console Port. The developers didn't bother to fix it, Basically all the bugs that have been reported in the X-Box version are still present. Adding to the issues the game and gameplay is allready having, the port just turned out horrible. The controlls are clunky, you can't change the keybindings, the mouseacceleration and sensivity is a joke and the worst thing is the hardware optimization. It's a joke really. I mean my PC may not be high end and up to date, But it still has 8 GIG of DDR3 Ram a Phenom Quad Core prozessor and a GTX 470 (and runs BF4 on med high settings with an playable amount of Fps) and yet i can hardly play it. Frameratedrops, horrible textures, glitches, collision issues. Just save yourself some time and nerves and don't waste your money on it. Expand
  13. Nov 27, 2013
    This game is atrocious. I bought it for $13 on Steam and after 10 minutes of play, regretting it. It's that bad. I can tell pretty quickly that this game was rushed out the door. Whoever is scoring this above a 6 must be paid reviews or part of the Dev team.

20 minutes in, in opening dialogue there are obvious voice over errors. Infinitely stupud design descisions In a game all about zombie survival, I cannot give items I find to my party members. If a party members pack is full, I either have to destroy items in my current pack, or switch to another member and see if they have any open spaces and do the same thing. LOL WHAT? WHO DESIGNED THIS GARBAGE? Terrible UI. What the hell is this? Why is this so complicated? No save points. Journal events log chronologically but quickly become a clusterf**k with no way of sorting them. Reused animations over and over. And over. Boring gameplay GTA style missions but it gets repetitive really quickly.

Where is the fun? This game isnt fun its like work. Log in, do more missions the game is bogged down with all of these extra things I have to worry about, that we dont care about and are completely unnecessary community status, population, fame, really fame in a zombie survival game? They didnt have to make it this complicated, and that's the problem. I'm not looking for another Skyrim with depth I want to play a fun zombie masher.

The AI is simplistic, bad, pathing is terrible, party members will do stupid things. Party members will run off in a mad rush to the safehouse when you start a mission for no apparent reason, oblivious to everything.

Something with the graphics are off as well. I'm not sure if its the bloom, or the shading, but something is way off and doesnt look right. I'm not wasting anymore energy for a review on this game.

The game could be been much better if whoever made these design decisions decided to quit game development before this game was made. Instead, they are going to be fired after the game tanks.

3/10.
  14. Sep 30, 2013
    State of Decay can be a rather fun game, as long as it holds your attention.

I believe I'm a Zombie fan; games, books, movies, you name it, I love em. But sometimes they don't do the Zombie title justice. State of Decay on the PC is a port from the Xbox Live Arcade, so if you are not a fan of ports, maybe you should just turn around now. The game looks okay, but not great. It handles
    State of Decay can be a rather fun game, as long as it holds your attention.

The game looks okay, but not great. It handles okay, but not great. The game play, honestly, is not bad! I think if it was a bit more optimized more, it would be a lot of fun. Sadly, though on Steam it says early access, this is already a finished game. The dev's are saying they will be working on it, I doubt we will see much more out of this title. I would love to be wrong.
  15. Oct 31, 2013
    Open-world zombie sandbox, where you struggle (with zombies but mostly with controls) for survival with a group of characters. You find new people for your group, new places and supplies. You don't really have a main character or a strong personal story, story is more about the group as a whole, and quite frankly is very generic to not say dumb. You can control most of the characters youOpen-world zombie sandbox, where you struggle (with zombies but mostly with controls) for survival with a group of characters. You find new people for your group, new places and supplies. You don't really have a main character or a strong personal story, story is more about the group as a whole, and quite frankly is very generic to not say dumb. You can control most of the characters you encounter, which is a cool feature, but they all play pretty much the same (even with different skills on them).

SoD is trying hard to make you care about the characters and immersed in the world, but the game is way too sloppy and shallow to get you immersed. Dialogues are almost non-existant apart from generic conversation you hear in your base. There are RPG elements like skills, but quite frankly they have close to zero effect on gameplay.

One huge problem this title has is how incredibly bad controls are. Stating this is a bad console port is not enough, it is an absolutely terrible PC port. Yes they are trying to improve it, but over the last 2 months they didn't even manage to put in proper icons (it still says for example "press X to do smt" instead of "press left mouse button to do smt"). The mouse doesn't work very well, especially when aiming. You will end up struggling more with the controls than zombies, often wasting ammo or running into wrong direction, all in a very frustrating manner.

The visuals and audio effects are okay, not very spectacular but also not very demanding from your PC. Animations are repetitive and sometimes feel out of sync. The world doesn't feel very big, there is a lot of stuff clumped in together, so it doesn't feel empty either. Overall a sandbox game could do a bit better with this. It is nowhere near the level of Skyrim or GTA series.

Gameplay feels meh. There is a large variety in weapons in loot which is good, however there are some terrible ideas like very limited inventory space, forcing you to run to your base like a retard every few minutes. You cannot skip night time. Your weapons get broken very quickly, and for some reason devs thought it would be best if it took about 12 REAL TIME HOURS TO FIX THEM. There are no ironsights or scopes and meele feels very clunky, not satisfying at all. There is no crafting in this game, you gather "building materials" and use them to upgrade your base but the game feels lacking because it is very limited. AI is so bad I won't even comment about it (companions AI).

There are some bugs. I had to start over once because endless zombie spawn wouldn't allow me to play normally. Many people report lighting and clipping issues.

Overall this game has more bad about it than good, thus I do not recommend it.
    Getting in on Xbox is a better decision because you can avoid the main problem of terrible controls there.
  16. Oct 1, 2013
    The sense of urgency and fear of character perma-death makes this open world zombie survival game stand out. The graphics are much better than the x360 version, but I noticed some texture pop-in and a little lag when driving at high speeds, but overall it's in great condition for being early-access. I highly recommend!

For those of you who are giving it a zero for requiring a

For those of you who are giving it a zero for requiring a controller, please consider it's in "early access" and it's not a final product. The steam store page for SOD says it's currently controller play only, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
  17. Oct 5, 2013
    I'm not sure what people with problems are trying to run this on, but I have a 4 year old, middle of the road computer, with a mid-low range graphics card, and I got this on 1080p fine. Everything is silky save for the driving every now and again.

The AI works well enough. Game mechanics like melee and driving work very well. It is easy to tell when you have killed a zombie. Your characters gain skill in various things, and you can tell they are better than they were before. The menus can be navigated on the fly once you're used to them, I've seen much clunkier. There are a few minor glitches, but with the nature of the large sandbox game and coming from a smaller studio, this is to be expected. If you want to see glitches, I could name you a few big budget games most everyone loves to death that are far glitchier than this title.

Best zombie rpg sim I have played so far, possibly best out there at this time.
  18. Jan 10, 2014
    Learned a lesson. Bought that because of good reviews here. Obviously just marketing department reviews because this game it just terrible! Game is ugly with bad GFX, bad sound, bad combat physics. Avoid at all costs!
  19. Oct 27, 2013
    This is easily my favorite zombie game for pc. It's like a more polished version of dayz with more features and less glitches. Other people seem to be running this game fine on 4+ year old computers. However, I got my pc about a year ago and this game runs very badly. It is not a gaming computer but it isn't some piece of crap and I can run most games fine. I still play this game alotThis is easily my favorite zombie game for pc. It's like a more polished version of dayz with more features and less glitches. Other people seem to be running this game fine on 4+ year old computers. However, I got my pc about a year ago and this game runs very badly. It is not a gaming computer but it isn't some piece of crap and I can run most games fine. I still play this game alot though! Coming from playing minecraft on a cruddy netbook, i'm used to low frame rates and can handle the lag. Expand
  20. Nov 7, 2013
    Wow. Zeros awarded during alpha testing? Really? Please come back and update your scores now that there is full mouse control.

I am not an RPG fan. I am a zombie fan. I am bored by games with lots of silly missions like Dead Rising 2 (not bad, just, not compelling). I have been spellbound by this game, because, possibly for the first time, a game has convinced me of a need to run missions. I want my characters to survive. I want to improve their surroundings. The factors that affect house morale are real: injury, sleep deprivation, hunger, energy. Earning influence is a great currency, though frustrating when you can't get someone to accompany you on a mission.

Only in the second town, but completely loving it.
  21. Dec 17, 2013
    Much like 'walking dead', it promises so much but delivers very little, and what there is has been dropped on its head enough that it can be played with thumbs. buggy as hell (including patches to date), dumb arbitrary game mechanics, poor interface, stupid ai, annoying and repetitive quests, no replayability value, hardly even any point exploring. you might get an hour or two out of itMuch like 'walking dead', it promises so much but delivers very little, and what there is has been dropped on its head enough that it can be played with thumbs. buggy as hell (including patches to date), dumb arbitrary game mechanics, poor interface, stupid ai, annoying and repetitive quests, no replayability value, hardly even any point exploring. you might get an hour or two out of it before you start asking yourself why you keep playing. Expand
  22. Oct 8, 2013
    This is an excellent game for being bound to the confines of 2GB on XBLA. The PC port is being implemented and optimization that is much needed is coming. I will say that if you do not like to:

1. Manage resources 2. Play as a community and not as an individual 3. Be careful when to engage, who to send for what 4. Pay attention to morale and deal with relationships Then you will

1. Manage resources
    2. Play as a community and not as an individual
    3. Be careful when to engage, who to send for what
    4. Pay attention to morale and deal with relationships

Then you will NOT like this game as its more about those things than it is about combat.

The driving is decent, the combat is fun, shooting is a bit funky but serviceable (its loud and loud is BAD), graphics are decent and the voice acting is well done with a good storyline. Also your choices have real impact. Additionally its a living, breathing persistent world that will continue on without you, so if you log off and are away for a while you will see that either things got a bit better or could have gotten a LOT worse.

The game is large and you could blaze through the story in probably 10 to 12 hours or take your time like I am and I am maybe 1/2 way through with 17 hours logged in.

I am anxiously awaiting the future Class 4 game which is said to be coop or MMO version with the same game mechanics, which are well done and very fun to work with.
  23. Dec 30, 2013
    Not impressed with the game. First 15 minutes felt kinda like whack-a-zombie to me, no suspense or anything, just running around, collecting random loot and punching monsters. Plus it's a 100% console game, in a bad way. Seriously, if you want people to buy PC games, make PC games, not ports. Played it for a couple of hours, not looking to continue.
  24. Dec 25, 2013
    This one really should be in the $5 bin or free to play. It's repetitive, has no narrative, it's skewed to melee with broken gun mechanics (sorry devs, it doesn't take 30 seconds to reload a 9mm clip). Graphics are poor and game mechanics are cartoonish. Not worth your time, and you will keep asking yourself why you are playing it over and over. This is a bad survival work simulationThis one really should be in the $5 bin or free to play. It's repetitive, has no narrative, it's skewed to melee with broken gun mechanics (sorry devs, it doesn't take 30 seconds to reload a 9mm clip). Graphics are poor and game mechanics are cartoonish. Not worth your time, and you will keep asking yourself why you are playing it over and over. This is a bad survival work simulation not a game. Expand
  25. Sep 24, 2013
    A good, fun game with interesting elements and features. Love the real time elements and the perma-death. If I had any problems, it would be that the shooting is a little touchy, but it also makes it more intense.

Also, for being an early-access port from the 360, it works quite well.
  26. Dec 10, 2013
    this is one of those examples of a bad zombie game. while there is a dozen out there that are good, this one just fails at every single point. controls are just horrible. mouse responsiveness is completely graphics are outdated. UI looks freaky ugly as hell and gameplay feels stiff. i can go on for hours but i think you are getting the point. Avoid this apocalypse!
  27. Oct 7, 2013
    Considering the game is currently available only as an Early Access title, before PC porting is actually done (it doesn't yet even support mouse & keyboard as yet, as that will be available at release), I'm fairly impressed as to how fun State of Decay is.

Most zombie games seem to insist on being bleak depressing adventure games, shooters or hard-core rogue-likes; State of Decay nails a pleasant middle ground where you don't feel overwhelmed all the time, whilst blending survival with RPG with a smattering of story. Whilst it's certainly got its fair share of bugs, none of them seem particularly game-breaking, though I of course hope that Undead Labs will continue to address these now that they're not paying a fortune for patching. The graphics are reasonable, though in need of some optimisation with some nasty stutter in places even on high-end machines (it becomes predictable enough that you just learn to slow down fast cars at particular points on the map!).

What sets the game apart is the surprisingly engaging world of building a base & community out of survivors of the Class 3 disaster. The generated missions themselves are relatively simplistic, and yet the emergent effects of different resources, weapons, character skills, character emotions & well-being (such as being too injured or tired), and randomised zombie hordes means that no quick wander into the wasteland is the same twice. The game simulation continues running whilst you've closed the game, simulating up to two days of absence in which the game world can change, with some brakes in place to avoid things like returning a day later to all your survivors dead. Your survivors can run off and get themselves into trouble whilst you're out, lending a refreshing air of genuine lack of control over the game world & that these other people have their own ideas about how to survive. Add in a sprinkling of developing story, season with a levelling system that encourages you to build out multiple characters in your settlement & gain their trust to make them playable (along with perma-death so you'd best look after your characters or have a few spares handy), and you've got a recipe for 'just one more mission' late into the night. If you have an immersive simulation bone in your body, I think that like me, you'll find it surprisingly hard to put down, flaws and all.

With proper resolution controls, some graphical optimisations, bug-fixes, and of course, the necessary UI work for mouse & keyboard, State of Decay will be well worth a look at PC release.
  28. Nov 24, 2013
    The game has it moments where you really feel the 'survivor experience', yet they are overshadowed by poor visuals, bugs, weak story and repetitiveness. The game is in its released state is still in beta in my point of view. At it's price of 18,99 EU it's okay value as it does bring a lot of gameplay for your money. Yet I've not found myself interested enough to end the game. 5/10 aThe game has it moments where you really feel the 'survivor experience', yet they are overshadowed by poor visuals, bugs, weak story and repetitiveness. The game is in its released state is still in beta in my point of view. At it's price of 18,99 EU it's okay value as it does bring a lot of gameplay for your money. Yet I've not found myself interested enough to end the game. 5/10 a mediocre experience. Expand
  29. Nov 19, 2013
    The game is overall a bit lackluster. The mandatory use of the controller is a bit strange, and the controls don't feel as tight as they should be. I understand that the game is still in development, but there is a lot about this game that makes it feel like the port that it is. The idea behind the game is interesting, but it seems to take too much gameplay to get to the parts that areThe game is overall a bit lackluster. The mandatory use of the controller is a bit strange, and the controls don't feel as tight as they should be. I understand that the game is still in development, but there is a lot about this game that makes it feel like the port that it is. The idea behind the game is interesting, but it seems to take too much gameplay to get to the parts that are interesting. Mostly, this is your standard, kill zombies game and do it how you want to, with some quests that sometimes have some strange requirements. The map does seem large and the detail in the towns is nice, but it wasn't enough to make me want to keep playing. Expand
  30. Dec 23, 2013
    Well, Cant PLAY the game because CANT REMAP THE KEYS!! BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT Dont buy this game!! Dont play this game!!! WASTE OF TIME!!! DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE!!!!!
  31. Dec 26, 2013
    This game sucks for several reasons. Things like Zombies that can climb walls as wells as barbwire covered walls?

Horribad save system where the game saves for you and you don't get a choice and you can't reload. Equipment durability is It doesn't get better with more skilled characters. The aim is awful with guns. The bases aren't really very good with the walls being

Equipment durability is It doesn't get better with more skilled characters.

The aim is awful with guns.

The bases aren't really very good with the walls being useless and most additions having to be outside where the zombies can easily get to since the walls are useless.
  32. Jan 17, 2014
    Positives:
    + Fun for a few hours.

Negatives:
    - The game has MANY bugs;
    - It gets VERY repetitive.
    - The game has MANY bugs.
    - Missions VERY boring;
    - The game has REALLY MANY bugs: a major bug that has existed since the time of the xbox and never fixed up, makes NO new missions appear on the map, making it impossible to finish the game.
  33. Nov 29, 2013
    State of Decay is not a flawless game, but it is not terrible, either, and I have to give it props for putting emphasis on the "Survival" aspect of a zombie apocalypse, since the longer you play as a given character, they grow tired, lowering their maximum stamina. Getting badly injured also lowers your maximum health, but both can be raised back to maximum if you switch out and play asState of Decay is not a flawless game, but it is not terrible, either, and I have to give it props for putting emphasis on the "Survival" aspect of a zombie apocalypse, since the longer you play as a given character, they grow tired, lowering their maximum stamina. Getting badly injured also lowers your maximum health, but both can be raised back to maximum if you switch out and play as another survivor for a while.

The graphics are not spectacular, but they do the job, and the voice acting is decent. The UI is a bit confusing at first, but it shouldn't take long to figure everything out as you get familiar with the game.

The number of zombies present is no where near the numbers you'd see in, say, Dead Rising, but given the nature of the game, even a small horde of maybe a dozen zombies can be a credible threat due to the fact that unsuppressed guns act as dinner bells to zombies, and all melee weapons will break with repeated use. You also have to juggle your inventory: How much food and medical supplies do you want to carry with you? How many weapons? If you carry too much, and you become encumbered, which slows you down and drains your stamina faster.

It's certainly a more grounded approach to the zombie apocalypse than Dead Rising, that's for certain.
  34. Dec 28, 2013
    Game is playable and interesting,
    I am having remarks over some game-play rules:
    1. I cannot give elements from my personal inventory to another member of my team or any NPC. 2. If I need to make space in my backpack, i must destroy item?!? 3. Cars do not need to refuel? 4. Why rear-end car hits on ZED-s do damage to engine?! 5. Zombie spawn in my near vicinity, even when I cleared
    Game is playable and interesting,
    I am having remarks over some game-play rules:

2. If I need to make space in my backpack, i must destroy item?!?
    3. Cars do not need to refuel?
    4. Why rear-end car hits on ZED-s do damage to engine?!
    5. Zombie spawn in my near vicinity, even when I cleared them.
    They should come from distance, and begin their existence further away from my line of sight.

The rest of game is very enjoyable and interesting to explore.
  35. Jan 11, 2014
    Cons: The format, controls, and menu system is a mess. Everything is counter intuitive, how a video-game shouldn't be. The AIs are retarded most of the time. The combat animations are repeated OVER and OVER again. The story is slow moving and most of the missions seem to be different colored repeats.
    Do not buy this game until the price goes down, a lot.
  36. Nov 5, 2013
    State of Decay is a zombie survival game. There have been many zombie survival games to come out recently, riding off the success of the wildly popular ARMA II mod DayZ. State of Decay's unique twist is that you control a compound of survivors, being able to switch characters with differing stats with some RPG elements. If you like zombie survival games, you're probably going to get thisState of Decay is a zombie survival game. There have been many zombie survival games to come out recently, riding off the success of the wildly popular ARMA II mod DayZ. State of Decay's unique twist is that you control a compound of survivors, being able to switch characters with differing stats with some RPG elements. If you like zombie survival games, you're probably going to get this game no matter what. It's a pretty fun game, but it can get repetitive after completing the same side quests over and over. The graphics are nothing special that's perfectly fine and the melee combat is at least VASTLY better than say, Survivor Stories Infestation AKA The WarZ but it's not a top notch and deep melee system. It does the job just fine.

If you like zombie survival games, you should definitely add this game to your collection.
  37. Sep 28, 2013
    After bringing out the mini patch to help those with a controller and now bring up the radio i can now play the game as intended.Its still in early release but im liking the game so far Think gta4 with zombies I hope they release dlcs in future such as an sandbox mode
  38. Nov 6, 2013
    This a very very good game, not prefect but alot of fun, I spent 60 hours playing this game and still going. For 18€ this is epic value for money.
    Its a beta, you pay 18€ now and get the finished article but as of the 6/11/13 the game is more or less ported from xbox to PC with all the pc controls now added.
    This is a 9/10 game and for the money you can not go wrong, if you like the idea of you and freinds against the world of zombies with mystery then this is for you.
  39. Nov 22, 2013
    The final version of the game for pc. People pay no attention to these low ratings considering they obviously didn't give the game a fair shot. At first I wasn't impressed either, but after about an hour of playing its gets very interesting. A sandbox, resource collecting true survival game. Building fortifications, building outposts to re supply, creating supply chains with otherThe final version of the game for pc. People pay no attention to these low ratings considering they obviously didn't give the game a fair shot. At first I wasn't impressed either, but after about an hour of playing its gets very interesting. A sandbox, resource collecting true survival game. Building fortifications, building outposts to re supply, creating supply chains with other survivors, being able to play with several different characters, switching back and forth as needed depending on the characters traits and abilities, not to mention leveling them up. But keep in mind its not your typical run and bash zombie game, you have to use stealth and be creative to succeed looting houses and structures without alerting nearby zombies or hordes. They really gave the players a lot of tools to work with, this is the first game in years that had me hooked after the first hour of play..normally I lose interest quickly but this game captured me for hours and hours the first time I played it. I can't get enough of it. I like the perma death for your characters, makes a better story and more immersion..takes quite a bit of bad luck for a character to die..if your going in rambo style you will not succeed. Prob easily the best zombie sandbox game I have ever played. I'm looking forward to whats next and I will definitely be following this company from now on.

The games graphics are good about like GTA IV, most players rely on graphics I do not...I want brains over beauty and that is what this games offers. It doesn't make you rush into anything and you can stray about but it also gives you that sense of urgency as well. I noticed a lot of people complaining about the controls, they seem fine to me but I am also playing the final version. I contributed to the early access but didn't play it..I waited for the final version and it was well worth it. I also noticed a small modding community taking interest in this game and that should add to it even more.

Overall the "0" scores for some reviews just isn't fair, I'm guessing those players spent less than 20-30 mins playing the game..in fact I'm almost positive about that because the start of the game does suck...but totally redeems itself after about an hour of play once players understand what is going on here. They are definitely selling themselves short. I'm a picky bastard when it comes to games...this one folks is worth every penny if you love zombie sandbox survival games.
  40. Mar 2, 2014
    The potential of this game on paper is amazing, so it is a shame about the crappy execution and poorly optimized port. Its so glitchy in places it looks like its still in Beta stage and not really ready for full release yet. Basically Saints Row vs Zombies with a bit of the Sims thrown in, but appealing in its own way.
  41. May 22, 2014
    It's a fun game, for a single playthrough. It suffers from the most common issue in gaming industry these days - lack of polishing and bad PC porting.

The bad: - Bugs; - Bad AI; - Messy menus; - The game doesn't pause when you need to switch to different weapons since you can't do it on the fly; - Console port (not the worst, but certainly far from the best). The good: The

The bad:

- Bugs;
    - Bad AI;
    - Messy menus;
    - Console port (not the worst, but certainly far from the best).

The good:

The game is fun for a few hours if you overlook said flaws, certainly. There isn't too much of character development, just enough to keep you distracted and move on with the game.

But what is the worst, IMHO, about this game, is the autosave feature. You can't save your game unless you finish a mission.

I bought it during one of steam's sales, so for ~$5 it wasn't that bad of a deal.
  42. Dec 21, 2013
    First things first this game is not bad but it's far from good and i am going to mention all my problems this game has.

1. The A.1. especially your companions are the dumbest people on the planet they stand still while a Zombie is attacking them from behind, and they don't really do a lot to help you and when you take them you will most likely find yourself wasting bullets trying to save them from Zombies and for some unknown reason the people that are guarding the church have unlimited ammo.

2. The story is bad no one really asks questions about the zombies and it appears that everyone has easily gotten over the fact that there is dead people eating living people.

3. Zombies are annoying, they repeatedly attack you when you are searching even if you don't make a sound and for some reason in a small town which could have a max of 150-200 people there is a zombie horde which passes every 5 seconds.

4. You loss your character when you die

But this game is fun at times to play and the shooting mechanics are O.K. and the voice acting is decent and it is only an arcade game for PC and XBOX so maybe if it was a full £40 release then i would of rated it lower but for an arcade game it isn't to bad so it gets a 6.

O.K.
  43. Sep 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. um bom jogo, contudo precisa de algumas melhorias. No aspecto gráfico ele perfeito, a jogabilidade razoável. Permite muitas horas de subidas e descidas pelas montanhas. Mas, com o tempo ele vai ficando cansativo, pois o número de zumbis não diminui, enquanto os seus recursos sim. Espero que com as atualizações ele fique mais emocionante.
    ..............
    It's a good game, but needs some improvements. In the graphic aspect it is perfect, gameplay is reasonable. Allows many hours of uphill and downhill through the mountains. But with time it gets tiring, because the number of zombies does not diminish, while their resources yes. I hope he stays with the more exciting updates.
  44. Oct 7, 2013
    I want to give this game a 7.5, but that's not an option.

I want to give this game a 7.5, but that's not an option.

State of decay is a hybrid open world zombie world survivor simulator 3rd person action game. The game starts very strong, and introduces some intriguing mechanics that could lead to a very unique gaming experience. Unfortunately a lot of the ideas introduced in the game feel like dead-ends and a rushed conclusion make for what feels like an incomplete experience.

The gameplay consists of two main modes. Exploring the open world and base building. Exploring consists of running or driving around while completing missions or searching for supplies. This involves run-ins with a near infinite supply of zombies. There are also some special zombies, one of which (the feral zombie) is probably the biggest threat in the game and is legitimately terrifying/upsetting when you run into it. Combat consists mostly of melee attacks, dodging, and unlockable special moves as your character progresses. These attacks are limited by your stamina. Once out of stamina, slow shambling zombies suddenly become a real threat. You also have the option to use a gun, but are discouraged to do so for several reasons: ammo is scarce, zombies can only be killed with head shots which can be difficult to pull off under stress, and unless silenced the gun not only calls nearby zombies, but SPAWNS new ones. I understand that loud nosies will attract zombies, but I should be able to use this as a way to herd zombies into one spot. if it just creates new ones it's pointless. Other than the gunplay I actually enjoyed the combat. The issue is that fighting zombies is never-ending, and pretty much every mission is fighting zombies, so it starts to get pretty old by mid-game.

Probably one of the most unique and my favorite aspects of the game is that your characters get "fatigued" the longer you use them, and you have to switch them out with other survivors. There are two different types of survivors, "powerhouse" and "reflex" and you use slightly different tactics with each (some survivors have neither which make them pretty useless). The coolest part is that regardless of which character you're using he/she will go on the story missions and have his own dialogue, which lends an organic and unique feeling to the story. Unfortunately there are only 2-3 voice actors so everyone sounds exactly the same.

Your characters level up as you use them, making them more and more valuable as time goes on. The rate at which skills level doesn't seem very balanced. You will almost instantly max out fighting and melee, but shooting may take a good chunk of the game and don't even get me started on the "searching" skill. Death is permanent so early in the game it's pretty thrilling to run out and scavenge.

Side missions pop-up randomly and at the beginning of the game give the world a sense of urgency and interest. Unfortunately there are only 3-4 types of missions and they are all pretty similar, By the mid-game they are pretty irritating.

The second big chunk of the game is base building and maintenance. This consists of sending your survivors to collect ammo, food, fuel, and materials. You can then use the materials to build different facilities such as bunks, medical tents, watchtowers etc... Each facility conveys different benefits and abilities, and it is fun to play around with up until mid-game. A couple of things hampers the fun of the base building. Ammo, food, and fuel don't really do a whole lot, which makes the incentive for collecting them a little unclear. Also the consumption or generation of these resources is not explained in game, you are simply given a daily number which can vary wildly, and it is unclear what effects having surplus or low levels will have. This is in stark contrast to other aspects of the game which explain mechanics in great detail (such as combat abilities.)

The game makes a very odd design choice in which you have no way to screen the survivors you recruit. Some have very useful abilities, and some don't, and once recruited really the only easy way to get rid of them is to send them on a suicide mission.

Despite the glitches I actually found the game to be graphically pleasing. It's not anything revolutionary but I thought the environments were detailed and creative. The sound design and occasional music also were pretty good.

Overall I would have liked to see this game in the oven a bit longer. It is obviously very ambitious and successful in certain respects. But there are several design flaws that I feel hamper its success. The resource gathering other than materials feels pointless. The missions are repetitive. Combat gets very repetitive. The story, which starts strong, ends with a 5 second cutscene that feels very unfinished. But I did play the game for a decent number of hours and I really enjoyed the first 50%.

At 20 dollars I would recommend the game to fans of the genre.
  45. Oct 5, 2013
    For an early release I was surprised at how well it held up. It has its bugs and glitches such as zombies ignoring walls, the graphics are nothing to rave about, the AI is dodgy (or everyone in Trumbull Valley is stupid), the spawns are sometimes a bit silly (clear a house, walk out, walk back in and full of zombies again) and the story is short and not the most exciting.

There are

There are other issues as well but in the end I just didn't really care about all the faults as I had a blast.

Charming combo of resource and people management with open world exploring and lots of ye-ha! zombie head bashing.
  46. Nov 4, 2013
    at 20$ it's totally worth it. I just hope they keep patching it as it does need some light work stomping out a few bugs that are still persisting and really shouldn't be left unresolved. I love the open world sandbox with random generated survivors, missions and loot. The upcoming expansion looks pretty sweet, with a difficulty mode that gets harder the more times you beat it I think.at 20$ it's totally worth it. I just hope they keep patching it as it does need some light work stomping out a few bugs that are still persisting and really shouldn't be left unresolved. I love the open world sandbox with random generated survivors, missions and loot. The upcoming expansion looks pretty sweet, with a difficulty mode that gets harder the more times you beat it I think. More zombies that hit harder less cars and they're more fragile, less loot. All sounds great to me. Expand
  47. Dec 27, 2013
    The Xbox port to PC isn't without its hiccups in its early access stage. Some glitches are frustrating, but most are easy to ignore. I'm giving the game an 8. If not for a couple of immersion-breaking mechanics (I'm excluding bugs and glitches), it would be an easy 10. It's by far a great value for the price. But aside from that, it's fun and addictive, although it definitely not a gameThe Xbox port to PC isn't without its hiccups in its early access stage. Some glitches are frustrating, but most are easy to ignore. I'm giving the game an 8. If not for a couple of immersion-breaking mechanics (I'm excluding bugs and glitches), it would be an easy 10. It's by far a great value for the price. But aside from that, it's fun and addictive, although it definitely not a game designed to please everyone.

As for glitches, the worse glitch is the frame rate drop, but for me that only hits at certain locations on the map. When this happens, the camera view spins out of control if and only if I'm moving the camera with the mouse. If you turn a vehicle with the WASD keys, the camera will follow the trajectory of the vehicle, and the camera view will not spin out of control. When I drive through them, I just take my hand off the mouse, and it's not a big problem.

I will say that a few mechanics need to be reconsidered. Having a companion NPC abandon you because you get too close to a mission point is ridiculous. I had a companion turn to run to the home base only to run right into a horde. I had to ruin a vehicle just to rescue her. Then she gets up and keeps running to the home base, but toward more groups of zeds. Developers, reconsider please. It's a terrible idea, just because you want the player to solo the missions. Let the companion stay and help with the mission. It's not that big of a deal. And when I rescue an ally, let them follow me, and not turn and run back to the main base, again running through hordes and such. It's just not logical, especially in a sandbox game that tries to add some realism.

The perma-death and selective auto-save feature I actually think is a good addition and a definite keeper. Don't change, please, even if some folks fuss. I lost two characters being careless, and it forced me to be more cautious and strategize better, and my game experience improved. Other games have you adopt a single character, and that character plays to the end, forcing you to replay scenarios or reload a previous save. In this game, you get a slew of characters at risk for perma-death and no second chances. Kudos to the one(s) who thought up that idea. It brings a sense of urgency and threat to the survival experience.

Quality-wise, the graphical glitches do diminish the experience slightly. Having a zed grab my character through a door or plane glass window without opening the door or breaking the glass is definitely frustrating, especially at critical moments. Plus, having zeds teleport out of nowhere (i.e., spawn in front of me) breaks immersion. Lower the spawn rate and add more spawn nodes at tree lines or behind buildings to avoid the teleport effect. It's frustrating to clear a field, pick up a rucksack, turn around and see 10 zeds bearing down on me. Might as well add the lights and sounds of Star Trek to complete the effect. If they run at me from a point out of view, that's fine.

In conclusion, the game is fun and addictive, and is worth the price of purchase. If you run the main mission non-stop, you might finish quickly, but if you take the time to do side tasks and explore the map, the game is limitless. If a glitch or two is just unacceptable and totally ruins your gaming experience, then you'll be apt to turn it off forever and give it a zero rating. And we'll know you're not a fan of Bethesda games as well.
  48. Nov 24, 2013
    This game is good. It has a nice Zombie scenario, an open world in GTA-style, lots of action and a day-night-cycle, which is always important to me. I am not absolutely sure, but it seems as if it is more dangerous at night, which is also a big plus.

So why just a 5? Due to bad design decisions. One could think that, as soon as the player logs out, the game world stands still. But that is not true. The world continues to play without the player. And that`s a bad thing, since resources get consumed and your felow survivors may die without you being able to help them.

I am always for a challenging game, but when this challenge is solely caused by a cheating concept, something is going horribly wrong. One may still enjoy the game, but the knowledge that it is not "fair" spoils the fun more than just a bit.
  49. Dec 6, 2013
    Pretty good game even though it's a port controls handle well during the fight with only minor camera problems.
    Only negatives, in a way, is that it favours heavily a more tactical approach so anyone that expects an all out zombieland killing spree will be kinda disappointed as well that battles that involve zombie attacking from many directions can be tiresome since the camera is very restrictive.
    On a plus side if you are able to use surround sound do so because the sounds are really well made and can give you a good tactical advantage including but not limited in how many zombies you will face in a house as well which direction they are attacking from.
  50. Dec 10, 2013
    State of Decay is certainly attractive and addictive, sitting on a very solid concept. Seeing a zombie survival with base building, team dynamics, scavenging, missions and combat with both melee and ranged components is very alluring, and you start the game highly psyched-up about it.

Design-wise, the game is a mixed bag. While a lot of its components play very well into each other, (scavenging, melee, guns, noise, zombie spawns, safe travel, cars, car repair, workshops, building, ressource gathering) some choices made by the developers make less sense. Your inventory is very limited. You can't drop individual items. You can't switch characters during missions. So loot management is crap, basically. The AI leaves a lot to be desired. The game tends to spawn zombies a little too generously, often giving the cheap feeling the game is cheating when it needs to turn the odds against you.

The initial atrocious controls on the PC have been ironed-out in the recent patches, but the game still shows a lot of corner-cutting overall. Buildings pop into existence in the background. Zombies amusingly rush into their required position when the game loads an area where it decides to place a zombie horde. Zombies can pop through walls once in a while. Street signs you run over will be brand new next time you go by the same place. Thrown weapons behaviour makes them highly impractical.

Basically, the developpers tried to get by with as little work as possible, while still keeping the game fun. There's not much complexity or refinement to any of it's components: shooting, fighting, looting, driving, building, dialogue, quests, story, or graphics, for that matter, but it still makes for a very fun and enticing game overall.

Some people say they got bored with it after a few hours; to me, it took more days. After fully building my biggest base, after looting the nicer weapons, it was a fight with one of the toughest zombies that put me off. Shooting the didn't work, even if I used a 50 cal gun and lots of ammo with headshots. Molotov didn't seem to do any harm to it either. This fight took ages, with the game constantly spawning zombies at me all the time, to keep the fight artificially challenging. "Oh this, I'll just run over him with a car. Crap!" "And by the way, this game too."
  51. Dec 27, 2013
    State of Decay is a semi Walking Dead simulator. While the first few hours are great the game quickly becomes dull and repetitive. The reason I'll still give it a 7 is because I feel I can come back once every couple of weeks, play, and enjoy myself for about an hour. Buy this game knowing you won't be playing it everyday
  52. May 31, 2014
    I've played through about 40% of the game and couldn't stand it anymore. It is insanely repetitive and you get no real feeling of the game moving forward or even of accomplishing anything. Don't fall for the "open world" tag-- it's not really that open as the story (what there is) progress is mostly linear. Your choices really don't mean anything to the story (especially your choice ofI've played through about 40% of the game and couldn't stand it anymore. It is insanely repetitive and you get no real feeling of the game moving forward or even of accomplishing anything. Don't fall for the "open world" tag-- it's not really that open as the story (what there is) progress is mostly linear. Your choices really don't mean anything to the story (especially your choice of character that you will play). I gave up when I realized that the story was not going to progress until I decided to go work with this "mayor"(?) who is demanding that all citizens disarm. As I have no intention of doing that, I had no desire to fulfill her quest. Being awake day and night to keep doing the same repetitive tasks and quests is just mind-numbing. Don't waste your time. Expand
  53. Nov 26, 2013
    I was VERY surprised by State Of Decay. It came out of nowhere and seemed like it was destined to be another bad rushed to PC console port. Was I ever wrong. While the graphics aren't amazing and it is definitely a rushed to PC console port (it went from Alpha to full release in about a week as soon as they figured out how to add keyboard support), there is something amazing in the game.I was VERY surprised by State Of Decay. It came out of nowhere and seemed like it was destined to be another bad rushed to PC console port. Was I ever wrong. While the graphics aren't amazing and it is definitely a rushed to PC console port (it went from Alpha to full release in about a week as soon as they figured out how to add keyboard support), there is something amazing in the game.

The style of game play and the interactions are awesome. It has all the best features of any modern zombie survival game but also has the great story line similar to The Walking Dead. The homebase feature and exploration give you a sense of almost playing a tower defense slash crafting game. it is just pure fun.
  54. Nov 14, 2013
    I'm a long time gamer as far back as Daggerfall and Lords of the Realm 1.

I was nearly deterred from this game due to all the negative feedback on the forums. Good thing I went ahead and got it anyway! What a pleasure to play! And I've played a lot of bad games in my time. And I can't recall a game in recent years I've really enjoyed this much. Last one that comes to mind is Rome
    I'm a long time gamer as far back as Daggerfall and Lords of the Realm 1.

What a pleasure to play! And I've played a lot of bad games in my time. And I can't recall a game in recent years I've really enjoyed this much. Last one that comes to mind is Rome Total War...and that was with mods!!!

Yes. The game needs some fine-tuning, but truth be told, the mechanics are solids, concept is AAA, and I've been having incredible entertainment. Get over technicalities. I hope the devs hammer them out in time, but if they don't, game is still a HIT!
  55. Dec 24, 2013
    This game would be fun if it were not for the super zombies. Any good game that was made to be balanced shouldn't have to throw a one hit kill at you.
  56. Oct 18, 2013
    It is clearly mentioned by the developer that the game is still in Early Access and there is a lot of work to do still to get it like xbox 360 version. I think this game is really nice, my favorite zombie game on pc. I am very hard to convince and this game "does the job" for now. I would give it 9/10 sentimentally but I will be honest lets go with an 8/10. Its worth the price fairIt is clearly mentioned by the developer that the game is still in Early Access and there is a lot of work to do still to get it like xbox 360 version. I think this game is really nice, my favorite zombie game on pc. I am very hard to convince and this game "does the job" for now. I would give it 9/10 sentimentally but I will be honest lets go with an 8/10. Its worth the price fair enough. It is not a survival type game but mostly a zombie killing game with a very nice storyline. Graphics are interesting, not the best but remember I am hard to convince and I enjoy it so. I had maybe 1 glitch in 10 hours playing, its not that bad. Don't Judge the game after an hour the first hour is a bit borring but....let the story make its effect and soon u will be hunting zombie with a nice station wagon at night, and scavenging nice shops. The map is not "HUGE" but I would say u don't need more than that size to enjoy this game.
    I recommend this game. (sorry for all the errors in text im French and practicing my english" thanks.
  57. Mar 1, 2014
    This game has so much potential, you can tell it was rushed to production since it is a Microsoft game. If it had a little more to it then I would rate this as 10/10 and one of my favorite games ever made. As it is it seems that this is the Beta version and that I am sure several DLC's will be coming out with the hopes of them maxing out profits. I purchased this game on sale on SteamThis game has so much potential, you can tell it was rushed to production since it is a Microsoft game. If it had a little more to it then I would rate this as 10/10 and one of my favorite games ever made. As it is it seems that this is the Beta version and that I am sure several DLC's will be coming out with the hopes of them maxing out profits. I purchased this game on sale on Steam for $10 and I think it is worth it. Had I paid $50 or more I would have been really mad as I said this game doesn't feel finished. Expand
  58. Jan 7, 2014
    A buggy but incredible fun zombie survival game that got the survival aspect right. If you die you are dead, there is no magic reviving. Gather supplies and build up your group of survivors, trade with other groups and fight against hordes of zombies and keep your group happy. you will get loads of hours out of the game but keep in mind that it is a port, and quite glitchy. But in the end,A buggy but incredible fun zombie survival game that got the survival aspect right. If you die you are dead, there is no magic reviving. Gather supplies and build up your group of survivors, trade with other groups and fight against hordes of zombies and keep your group happy. you will get loads of hours out of the game but keep in mind that it is a port, and quite glitchy. But in the end, they aren't too annoying and can be overlooked. A must have! Expand
  59. Apr 29, 2014
    Good Idea unfortunately very difficult to manage, The handling and management of the base and other characters is pretty annoying. Graphics are ok but the cutscenes should be skippable. I'm not sure if the autosave (and the inability to manually save at all) is meant to make the game harder/more realistic or a oversight by the developers. The combat system is sheer mashing of buttons andGood Idea unfortunately very difficult to manage, The handling and management of the base and other characters is pretty annoying. Graphics are ok but the cutscenes should be skippable. I'm not sure if the autosave (and the inability to manually save at all) is meant to make the game harder/more realistic or a oversight by the developers. The combat system is sheer mashing of buttons and gets boring fairly quickly. On the upside the maps are interesting and it's fun to explore the world, although the constant demands of your fellow survivors get in the way a lot. The AI is mediocre at best (NPC's get stuck or attack hordes of zombies while you try to avoid them. If you like these kind of games maybe buy it on special otherwise it's probably not worth your money. Expand
  60. Jun 29, 2014
    Really poor console port, terrible graphics, stale gameplay. Barely worth the 5 bucks sale price. SCORE 45/100.

I'm still willing to give it a few more go's, but there just isn't a lot there. I cannot emphasize how terrible the graphics are. It does not matter how beastly your graphics card is, this thing will not look good. AND IT DOES NOT SUPPORT 1440p or 1600p nor does it have any graphics adjustments. The lighting, shadows, and textures all look straight from the 360/PS3 era with zero effort given. It also has awful clipping.

Honestly, I enjoyed ZombiU on the WiiU a lot more than this, and it was only a pretty good game. This is tolerable but with so many Zombie-type games out there, this one just shouldn't get much of your time, attention, or money.
  61. Nov 23, 2013
    The game is out of early access now and while it's still rough around the edges, it's a good one. It comes the closest to providing the sandbox zombie survival game I've been waiting for. It has more strategy and depth than Dead Island, it's a ton more user-friendly than Day Z, it's prettier than Project Zomboid, and it has more zombies than Grand Theft Auto! But it feels like aThe game is out of early access now and while it's still rough around the edges, it's a good one. It comes the closest to providing the sandbox zombie survival game I've been waiting for. It has more strategy and depth than Dead Island, it's a ton more user-friendly than Day Z, it's prettier than Project Zomboid, and it has more zombies than Grand Theft Auto! But it feels like a combination of all these games. A lot of things make this game unique the need to befriend survivors in order to unlock them as playable characters; the need to capture, build, and maintain safe houses and outposts, a persistent world that continues on even when you log off.

The game is a bunch of fun as is, with a lot of exploration to do (on several levels world exploration, and exploration of game mechanics two staples of a good survival sandbox). Melee fighting isn't perfect but it works. Firearm fighting isn't perfect but it works. Exploration and scavenging works it's a lot of fun and puts to shame games like Day Z where buildings act mostly as non-explorable set pieces. All structures in this game are fully explorable and hide a lot of goodies. Driving works pretty well and using your vehicle as a weapon against zombie hordes is kind of epic.

The biggest complaint I see from players who rate this low is the mouse & keyboard scheme being too clumsy to use. I'm seeing that same complaint even today, which makes no sense to me. The M&K work just fine this game does not require a gamepad. I repeat this game no longer requires a gamepad. The other major complaint I see is about the graphics being ugly. They're not next-gen, but they're good at max settings, with great lighting and some good textures. Occasionally it's muddy, with colors seeming to run together, especially when out in forested open areas. Someone else suggested the graphics are on par with GTA IV. I wouldn't go quite that far. They do leave something to be desired. But that's the point. This feels kind of like a test game. Like, "let's see if this works". And it has. Quite well.

This first version is a bit clunky but it's making cash money, so I foresee a real future for this franchise. A polished, AAA sequel could easily be a GOTY contender. In fact, if I was a betting man, I'd bet the next game in the franchise goes up for that title.

62. Apr 18, 2014
    Fun game and an interesting idea for a game. But it feels unpolished and doesn't have enough atmosphere, I should feel more threatened by the possibility of zombies or other people attacking the base and taking resources. The base building needs work.
  63. Dec 10, 2013
    Having played many Zombie survival games and being very disappointed with some recent outputs (*coughs* WarZ/Infestation Survivor Stories), this was a very pleasant surprise.
    For once, it truly feels like a zombie survival game.
    You need to set up a base of survivors, with interchangeable characters. You need to gather resources from the surrounding suburbs/farms for survival. You need
    For once, it truly feels like a zombie survival game.
    You need to set up a base of survivors, with interchangeable characters.
    You need to gather resources from the surrounding suburbs/farms for survival.
    You need to improve/upgrade your base for survival.
    There is great weapon selection and weapons do degrade/break.
    You can drive cars, but these break easily and then become harder to find.
    There are plenty of side missions in the story to keep you amused, such as helping/gathering other 'survivors' to increase the standing of your base.
    Add to this zombies which are varied, with tougher zombies to kill, along with 'hordes' of zombies and house 'infestations'.
    All in all, it is a very well thought out and executed zombie survival game with everything I had hoped from this genre and more.
    This is a game which will really make you think about survival, and force you to play in a way for survival.
  64. Nov 29, 2013
    Best zombie game ever made. Feels like your in 'The walking Dead'. Micro management, Permanent character deaths (important because you can switch to these people) permanent vehicle loss. You have to maintain everything. Little missions constantly pop up to distract you from the main incentive (pursuing these can save playable characters lives)

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings to develop (med, ammo, sniper nests etc)

Talking to people that are depressed/have issues helps more than you realise

If you send someone on a mission to collect resources they will physically go across the map and attempt to collect and return. You must kit them out well if you dont want them to die. If they die, any resources they collected will drop at the place of death.

Little details like this make this game special.

LOADS of weapons/ammo types/items. Shooting is perfect, the lighting is beautful. Its a reminder of why we play games and where the medium is going.

The start of this game does not do it justice. Keep on playing
  65. Nov 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. State of Decay is an odd one. Yes it's a zombie game but I don't feel the zombies are what you should go to the game for. What you should go to the game for is the intense feelings it creates. It's weird because I always felt compelled to get on the game much in the same way you feel compelled to feed a dog; you don't want it to die, or in this case, you don't want your people to die. But at the same time I didn't want to get as I was afraid of what I would see how had died, gotten sick or whatever.

For me State of Decay lost its appeal after ~9 hours. The Scavenging is fun but it gets a little repetative and the story is optional, it takes place in optional mission points. But naturally every time I wanted to do one of the missions something would come up like: "We need food!" or "Someone needs talking to and you're the most charismatic person we have!" and I always felt I needed to do those because if I didn't people would die or leave. The only other quip I have is that the story is a little...lack lustre. It is nice to the Military actually doing something for once but that's not really what I mean. It really fells like you, as the player, is just watching the story from a distance. [spoiler] One mission involved me helping the General go against his orders and help some civilians, but I never found out what did happen to him until after in a little text box, so it feels very removed [/spoiler]
  66. Nov 10, 2013
    So far it's a fun game....BUT.....I am having a hard time getting over the low quality graphics. If MGS spent a little more time putting the polish on this game, it could have been truly outstanding. But they didnt.
  67. Nov 17, 2013
    Best zombie game Ever. Cross between sims, gta and xcom. With zombies! This is raw gameplay goodness and studios like squaresoft and capcom should really take note of what undead labs achieved here. Every element of this game has been meticulously thought out because it all works perfectly. If you ever wanted to feel what it's like to live through a zombie apocalypse then this game is aBest zombie game Ever. Cross between sims, gta and xcom. With zombies! This is raw gameplay goodness and studios like squaresoft and capcom should really take note of what undead labs achieved here. Every element of this game has been meticulously thought out because it all works perfectly. If you ever wanted to feel what it's like to live through a zombie apocalypse then this game is a must. Be prepared for the fact that death here is permanent, and you won't be able to save everyone, or do everything on your own. The only downside is that it will come to and end, but at least then my eyes can rest. Then there is new game of course! Expand
  68. Dec 19, 2013
    game's quite good for what it is an actual survival zombie game, the game has several unique mechanics one of which is that you don't play any single survivor instead you rotate between different survivors due to rest and fatigue. The game has a predictable and bland plot typical government screw up creates zombie apocalypse but what really makes the game shine is the gameplay. as statedgame's quite good for what it is an actual survival zombie game, the game has several unique mechanics one of which is that you don't play any single survivor instead you rotate between different survivors due to rest and fatigue. The game has a predictable and bland plot typical government screw up creates zombie apocalypse but what really makes the game shine is the gameplay. as stated previously you are forced to rotate between survivors as repeated use of one survivor will lead to him/her becoming tired, the game has a series of different characteristics for each survivor some of which are useless while others are extremely useful in combat or recruiting new survivors. The game also features perma death and due to the way characters are leveled as they can only be trained when they are controlled it becomes terrifying to lose your main character to a zombie and be forced into using a weaker and sometimes incompetent charecter in its place. The biggest problem with the game however is that the gameplay is fairly repetitive go out gather supplies come back or listen to a call for help from a survivor or a neighbour and rush to aid them. Another big problem is that guns are utterly useless in this game anything outside of headshots is extremely uneffective against zombies that combind with the fact that ammo uses a large amount of slots in ur inventory and is fairly expensive makes melee almost exclusively the best choice. Lastly the game has a horrible system when it comes to using allies, firstly it charges you a large amount of influence which is the ingame currency to bring that ally along if any quest is initiated while you have a companion along they immediately return to the base making the investment utterly useless which basically includes every activity in the game outside of gathering supplies. Lastly this game has a real time calender event implemented meaning each day that passes by you could lose character by simply not having enough food in reserve and there doesn't seem to be a way to disable it. this is extremely frustrating if you just so happened to stop playing for a week or so only to come back and find a few members of your community died. Expand
  69. Jan 20, 2014
    Игрушка неплохая, стабильно держит на протяжении трех-пяти вечеров. После же неизбежно становится рутиной, которая быстро надоедает ввиду отсутствия должного разнообразия побочных заданий и возможностей в целом.
  70. Nov 19, 2014
    A decent game with some great elements that is let down by overall design issues and the unpolished nature of the game.

Good - the survival element is there and the resource gathering and survivor recruitment is addictive and also makes you feel like you are really building something from theground up. The open world works fairly well and the game achieves a great apocalyptic atmosphere that other games do not.

Bad - Sometimes the sheer volume of side missions given via radio are both annoying and overwhelming and don't allow you to just go out and scavange if you atcually want to complete the side missions. The game feels unpolished, with pretty poor graphics and a basic gameplay system. Many of the bread and butter elements like resource gathering etc get boring pretty quickly. The story is pretty awful. There are only around 3 face models for recruitable survivors and npc's.

Verdict - if you like sandbox games and/or zombie apocalypse games there is fun to be had here. But the fun can quickly become repetative and the game isn't helped by the lack of polish and unfinished feel.
  71. Oct 6, 2014
    I had a lot of fun playing this game once I got a trainer in place. It's indie fun with some strategy and brief story elements. Nice assortment of game items (weapons and cars). The story mode missions stay active for awhile longer than most games of similar type. Some things could be better but definitely got my 30 dollars worth out of the game.
  72. Jun 8, 2014
    Ok, it is a console port and that is obvious. It does look and play like something from a previous decade showing its xbox creditials BUT, it is still pretty enjoyable. I would have been pretty disappointed if I paid full price for it as it would not justify that in comparison with other titles but having picked it up on steam with several expansion for 18 Euros I am pretty happy with it.Ok, it is a console port and that is obvious. It does look and play like something from a previous decade showing its xbox creditials BUT, it is still pretty enjoyable. I would have been pretty disappointed if I paid full price for it as it would not justify that in comparison with other titles but having picked it up on steam with several expansion for 18 Euros I am pretty happy with it. It is fun. There is very little depth but it is quite open and at times captures the atmosphere of the walking dead (tv series, not the game). So for 18 Euros I dont expect much and SoD delivers about what I would expect. The control system is infuriating. It doesnt support native resolutions for my monitor (designed for Tv's) and the graphics are really very basic but it jumps on the zombie bandwagon in a positive way. Reminded me a bit of parts of alan wake in fact (though not in the same league). The driving around at night parts mainly. I love the concept of building defenses to priotect myself and the other survivors and this does introduce the concept (albeit in a pretty perfunctory sort of way). Not great, but not an outright scam either as so many other console crossovers are. One massive bonus on this, the field of view which so limits console gaming doesnt seem to be a problem here. It could be due to the third person nature of the game play or intentional but no nausea inducing letter box camera on this one. Expand
  73. Aug 11, 2014
    The most under-rated game of all time!

I was on the fence about purchasing this game when it came out because of the user reviews.. WHAT A MISTAKE. People are pretty stupid. I need to read deeper into negative reviews in the future and make sure that the ratio of "expansive features" to "dumb end users" isn't skewing the user score statistic. This game is SUPERB! I love everything
    The most under-rated game of all time!

This game is SUPERB! I love everything about it. My top 5 aspects:
    - Scary because if you lose a character.. it's just gone (no loading of saves)
    - Scary because you never know what's around the next corner
    - Fun because the story line is REALLY good sometimes
    - Fun because it's open world with lots of goodies
    - Worth my time because it's very dynamic.. huge replayability

This is Skyrim meets Walking Dead meets Battlefield. Love love love it!
  74. Jun 29, 2014
    Quite literally the best zombie game ever created. It's what every other zombie game aspires to be but fails. The combat is amazing, the looting system is amazing, the stealth is amazing, the levelling system is amazing, everything is amazing.
  75. May 25, 2014
    GTA zombies, not the best port but definitely working as it should. Had a lot of fun and many hours clocked, pretty good single player experience. is it perfect? far from it, but this game definitely shines in many areas that it is worth a buy if you are a fan of the genre, if not, then it is worth a buy during steam sale.

There are little narratives and most of the story should be your

There are little narratives and most of the story should be your own, life individual survivor stories and the stories you make during your own explorations.

It is not a scary game like most modern zombie games, but occasional jumps might happen for your.

The best parts I liked:
    Perma-death, you really do have some attachment to some characters, mostly through you levelling up them, gearing them up and reading their profiles and have a back story you created in your mind (if you are an imaginary person), and when one misstep can get you killed it is very interesting.

The hordes, the way they run at you, swarming over walls, is really good to watch.

Looting- always fun

The points I didn't like-
    The graphics sometimes make me dizzy, not the best optimisation.
    Port problems - the controls are sometimes not straight forward, like choosing a specialisation.
    Small -map, the map is a bit too small and not enough variety,
    Survivor groups could use better AI and more interactions than just having a locker.
  76. Jul 10, 2014
    State of Decays is an open world third person zombie survival game. You and a friend are coming home from a fishing trip and while you've been sipping beers and gutting fish, the dead started walking and society collapsed.

The game has a well-designed form of permadeath. If the character you play get killed, you'll get to take over as one of the other members of the group. You will actually need to play different characters, as they get tired or hurt from time to time and will need a break from the constant zombie killing.

The story is fine but not too engaging, but I find the base building and general survival very addictive. There are more survivor communities out there that you can interact with and might convince to join you, vehicles to run through hordes of zombies and special zombies that you need to keep an eye out for. Building outposts is a key part of turning a zombie infested area into a nice suburban neighborhood. I think these action games with strategic elements are too few and far between.

The game is a console port, but a rather elegant execution. It plays with mouse and keyboard well, though the character facing might be a bit difficult to get used to for regular PC gamers like myself. Also the inventory menu doesn't take kindly to the scroll wheel, but except from that there are no problems with the UI/controls - more like tell-tale signs of a past on a console.

Combat is fun - easy to learn and difficult to master. I find a certain enjoyment in the many ways you can crush the skulls of the zombies, and how good you and your character can become at fighting. Well timed dodges, rolls, drop kicks and various other moves are important for your survival.

Characters gain xp in different categories, depending on what you do with them. A guy running a lot will get great cardio while one who fires a gun will become great at shooting. There is weapon specializations and personal skills that only a few survivors have (better keep that mechanic alive if you want cars fixed) and character building manages to offer you a few interesting choices without overloading you with options and information.

The basic game rather short but very enjoyable, and there is much more replay value in the Breakdown DLC. If you like bashing in skulls, survival scenarios, zombies or is just a fan of post-apocalypse I think you'll enjoy this.
  77. Jul 4, 2014
    An extremely enjoyable zombie survival game. While it has a few minor quirks and bugs the overall game play is highly enjoyable and combat fun. When compared to the hugely popular survival zombie games like DayZ which lack real polish this game is a very well done addition to the genre with a great single player mode.

Well worth a look.
  78. Jul 23, 2014
    A tremendous game, it's basically GTA with zombies. But unlike other zombie games, or most games in fact, I never ever felt safe, I was always in danger, especially from hordes, and surely this is what a zombie game should be. Brilliant.

I'm happy to say it looks like I missed the teething troubles it suffered from on release, as I was very happy with the controls.
  79. Oct 10, 2014
    State of decay is a balancing act. If you take each separate part of the game and hold them up for close scrutiny you will find them in no way remarkable. Just take the story line for example. It is short and offers no surprises. You start the game with two survivors in Trumbull valley which is undergoing the zombie apocalypse and you have to survive until you can escape the valley. TheState of decay is a balancing act. If you take each separate part of the game and hold them up for close scrutiny you will find them in no way remarkable. Just take the story line for example. It is short and offers no surprises. You start the game with two survivors in Trumbull valley which is undergoing the zombie apocalypse and you have to survive until you can escape the valley. The story runs in a straight line. You escape the first few zombies, find shelter in a ranger station, do some missions, get one additional survivor(story scripted), move to a church, do some more missions while recruiting more survivors until you can move to the next base.. and then you make a final move to one of the two biggest bases once you have gathered enough survivors and resources. Experienced players would probably skip the movements in between and just move from the church to the biggest base of their choice.

There are a few background stories. One is the military one, which tells you a bit about the role of the military, one is the local government one, which tells you a few things about how the local government and police force react and there is the hillbilly story line, which gives you a small story about how a group of dubious 'rednecks' respond to the crisis. The story line allows you to make a few choices, but non of these open up different story lines or change the outcome in a remarkable way.

The other parts, like the combat system, the resource gathering system and the base management system are neither unique nor remarkable. It has been done before, seen before and often done better in games like the Walking Dead(a far better story line). Left 4 Dead(better combat system), Dead Island (better combat, crafting and character builds) and so on.

The strength of State of Decay lies in two things. 1 that there is no comparable game out at the moment(those that seem promising are still in beta). 2 that it offers just enough of everything to make it better than you would expect. In other words the total is better than the sum of the parts.

But barely so.

State of Decay there basically fills a gap and flourishes because there is no competition.. There aren't that many games out yet that allow you to manage a group of survivors in a sandbox game with resource gathering, crafting and base management. Note that I said: not yet, as there are competitors in the make. 7 days to die and Dead State are examples that spring to mind.

The makers of the game have said that there will be no sequel, but that there will be an online version of State of Decay. They will be facing a few strong competitors. Day Z for instance and the Dead Linger are examples. There are many more online games in the make that have zombies as an important ingredient and it will probably be though to make a profit with so many MMOs out already.

If you don't like online games, like me, but like to play an acceptable game, than State of Decay might keep you entertained. Don't expect too much from it.
  80. Jun 23, 2014
    Kind of fun for one or two hours, but rapidly gets boring and even frustrating. The influence system especially doesn't make sense. I mean, sure, make it necessary to get ammo from the stock if you want to make ammo precious. But making a certain amount required in order to ask another survivor to come with you is just plain dumb.

"Remember the first rule, never go out there alone."

"Remember the first rule, never go out there alone." "Ok. Can you come with me?" "You haven't got enough influence, **** Yeah, right.

Overall, the driving around is fun in an arcade kind of way, influence is **** and combat is mildly frustrating, especially if you try to play with KB+M as I did. A controller is highly recommended.

So yeah, not a great game if it was 60$, but for it's price, it's worth it, although not something I'll remember having played.
  81. Aug 14, 2014
    I started off being very excited about this game. Unfortunately I was disappointed as many of the daily actions become tedious and the controls are terrible. Vehicles float around as if they weighed four pounds and I can't count how many times I barely bumped something and my truck went flying into the air, exploding and wounding my character. The game functions much like a phone appI started off being very excited about this game. Unfortunately I was disappointed as many of the daily actions become tedious and the controls are terrible. Vehicles float around as if they weighed four pounds and I can't count how many times I barely bumped something and my truck went flying into the air, exploding and wounding my character. The game functions much like a phone app where you should check in periodically as your characters must rest and heal up while you aren't playing. That's fine for phone games not fine for PC games. Bad controls and perma-death finally made me quit. I just wish this had more polish before being released. Expand
  82. Nov 7, 2013
    In my opinion the best zombie survival game on the market so far. It just doesn't get the best from the CryEngine 3. That's the only thing I've got to criticize.
  83. Dec 12, 2013
    Just got an hour playing it and I think it's a different zombies survival game compared to others out there.
    It a whole different story here with the games out there, it test you with survival ability within this game. not just weapon which is can be used again and again and again, it could break up or jammed, then you must scouring for another weapon or repairs it.
    The controls fine if
    The controls fine if you feel to fast you just need adjust it. maybe the patch now fixed it.

Another great thing is its open and active world, not just you can scouring the whole map, but you also find its a breathing maps, it progressing even when you're not playing. If you aren't very often playing games then this game is not for you, because you need to check your game periodically. I'm saying IT IS A REAL "REAL TIME GAMES".
    Just a little drawbacks back there, we don't know what happened or what is caused the zombies apocalypse, it reminds me some of zombies movies, which we don't know the hell happened so what to achieve, then it returned to old story "SURVIVE". its the only main mission no other. the sub mission will bring you to trade, save other survivors, or scavenging so you can survive more.

Man, you must be remains on high alert when outside of your home, do scavenging or whatever mission your on, because you never know what might happen, it completely take you by surprise.
    Maybe they will come at you from your blind spot or just going rush on you on your face.
    You must be stealth if you're going to survive, because no body telling you if there are a horde of zombies or a freaking zombies.
    They may infest a house and you must clears it before it attack your home. If you don't, then get ready if they attacking your home because there is a lot of 'em.

Damn i wish i have a laptop to play this games periodically, because of the breathing world out there, so when you're away, your survivor might consume extra, medicine food, whatever supply you have in your home or even injured or your home attacked by horde of zombies.

It is a "twisted" game, twisted here i mean it have economical, politics, combat and management part on the game to test your skills in this area.

Many possibilities in this game which will be determine your future in this game.
    I think the game challenging and there for worth to try..
    I Give my 10 point for this game.
  84. Dec 15, 2013
    Best zombie game i ever played worth the money very fun breakdown is amazing i love the how it plays out

i love the zombie type and that you can barricade the windows you cant get zombie games like this
  85. Dec 18, 2013
    At the moment this is the best Zombie Survival game out there, a lot more could be added to make it less repetitive and more engaging with other survivors. But still a game I can play over and over again.
  86. Dec 24, 2013
    This game is nearly perfect if you want to play a zombie game. Heads explode, you get overwhelmed and die, and this is the first game that ever got me attached to a character. A character that doesn't actually matter. Death is permanent, it will just switch you out to the next character in your survival group.

It's hard. Ammo is scarce. You must eat to survive. You must save people or

It's hard. Ammo is scarce. You must eat to survive. You must save people or you won't last long. The zombies will catch you and rip you apart. Firing a shotgun makes your butthole pucker, in the afraid way.

The negative parts for me are only technical stuff that hopefully patches out. Pathing on NPCs sucks. They will get stuck in the ground on occasion and get themselves or you killed.
  87. Feb 28, 2014
    This game is a good mixture of many genres such as; sandbox, hack and slash, tower defence (in some ways) and RPG games. Reminiscent of Dead Rising and the Walking Dead game series, this game's artistic style is cartoon-like and friendly to the eyes.

There are some great mechanics and features in this game such as the Influence system and the ability to repair your vehicles/tools. I found it particularly interesting that every vehicle was very different to drive, something that I hadn't anticipated. The active progression and missions were also a plus, you were always kept busy and you never could really run out of things to do. Characters were also varied and interesting in most instances. Your choices and decisions affected other characters greatly and determined attitudes among the survivors in the form of Morale at the home base - a very good incentive to keep you working to make sure no survivors stir up trouble due to low Morale.

The map is very large, giving you a seemingly unlimited amount of places to loot and hunt. Terrain looks decent and had a good mixture - from mountainous ranges to lakes and farms. The noise mechanic is a first that I've seen, searching will alert zombies in a radius of your position. Running, walking, driving, searching, even just finishing off a few zombies will be akin to ringing the dinner bell.

Some minor downfalls were in its combat system - it felt too laboured and the area of attack was a little too small, making you a very very easy target of the zombies if you had let too many stray too close. Another improvement would be a user defined save point rather than automatic saves deemed by the game, this would lessen some anxiety for some users who are experiencing save game issues or those who just want peace of mind that their progress isn't just going to disappear. The option to skip cutscenes would be nice but it isn't a huge deal-breaker.

Overall the game is on the better side of the scale, only few improvements that would pull it up. An engaging and challenging play, suited to those who fancy some zombie hack and slash with a side of serious and interesting storyline.
  88. Mar 16, 2014
    Not so many games are in its league and only few are good to play.. scavenging + survival + zombies makes it one of the best game out there.. I wish on the next state of decay is a bigger map and lots of variety of weapon..
  89. Jul 9, 2014
    Comes close to a worthwhile game, but just doesn't make the cut.

You are far too caged in when it comes to the your base, the world is far too small and there are an unlimited number of zombies despite an extremely limited supply of resources. One would think that the mods might fix things, but the sheer number of bugs created by even the best mods makes it worse. An clunky combat
    Comes close to a worthwhile game, but just doesn't make the cut.

An clunky combat system compounds the problems. Worth a few days of entertainment, but you'll get bored and/or frustrated before every finishing the mission. If you don't, get checked for autism.
  90. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing it for long enough to get the best outpost fully upgraded with all the upgraded stuff, I can say the critic reviews are way over-rated.

1. The zombies cheat! They warp through walls even biting you through closed doors, and they sometimes spawn right in front of your! Their physics don't make sense, for example you are sprinting flat out after drinking a full coffee with full stamina and for some reason they can catch up with you??? Despite the fact that 100% of zombie lore says that other than mutations zombies lose speed overtime.

For some reason when zombies are in groups they are attack faster and can sprint like Olympic athletes almost keep up with a vehicle going full speed.

2. Not enough Homesite customization. All you can build are a few shooting towers, bedrooms, clinics, ect, but what about unimpeachable walls? Pits? Various traps that funnel and confuse the zombies? There are a thousand ways to do it, for example a doll hanging out over a cliff that causes the zombies to constantly walk off.

3. Most if not all of the areas are setup right on the ground! If this game is supposed to mirror reality everyone would be sleeping on a second floor that can only be reached by climbing a series of tricky rope ladders, not sleeping out in the open.

4. The story-line is very blase. They only give you two choices and sometimes not even that, there feels like an overall lack of movement. Basically once I got the best homesite and all the best gear I started ignoring all the NPC requests. They basically wanted me to be their Apocalypse UPS which is boring.

5. NO FAST TRAVEL. Yes traveling is part of the 'experience' but after driving the same road more than 200 times it just becomes a daily commute and I'm not going to spend 'gaming time' doing a daily commute, B O R I N G.

Bottom Line: The game designers obviously didn't read the Zombie Survival Guide or the other zombies references and are just trying to cash in. The lack of proper base customization, the lack of vehicle customization (for example, a simple bumper upgrade), the lack of fast travel, NPCs that can fight well but are otherwise half retarded, and the game very quickly becomes all the worst things about a zombies apocalypse, specifically BOREDOM.
  91. Aug 8, 2014
    I felt jipped within the first minute.
    Makes ARMA2 feel next-gen.
    Next to Title/Genre/Developer/Publisher there should be a new category called "horrible console port".
  92. Sep 1, 2014
    This game is just terrible. I bought it while it was on sale on Steam a few days ago, expecting a game comparable in quality to the standalone DayZ. Instead, what I got for my 5 dollars was a sad attempt at an open-world exploration game.

Melee combat is comparable to Skyrim, in that it lacks any depth beyond boring button-mashing that produces a death animation. Your objectives from the start are very unclear and I ran around for several hours before I found something to do. I had to search online to discover that the game revolves around foraging for supplies to support your base; a concept that seems interesting at first, but is poorly executed. The exploration, perhaps the most important part of the game, is both tedious and unrewarding; it feels almost like it was added as an afterthought. It's unclear as to what supplies actually benefit your base, but more about that later.

As for the animations and gameplay, the zombies frequently clip through walls and scenery props, ruining the immersion. The character models feel stocky and lifeless, with a limited set of possible animations that constantly repeat themselves. Your AI partners are completely worthless, frequently giving out your position and opening doors to wander around outside when you're trying to stealth through an area.

Overall, the game feels very poorly done and it's obvious that the developers had a limited resource pool. However, the game isn't totally broken and can still be played as it was intended to be played, hence the 2/10. I've only pushed myself to play 2 hours of State of Decay, so I'm sure that reading other reviews will give you a fuller picture of what the game is truly like.
  93. Jan 20, 2014
    Of any game I've played, State of Decay is the closest yet to what I always imagined the ideal zombie apocalypse survival game to be. It's not just combat, combat, combat, this game makes you feel hunted and the moments of dramatic tension that arise naturally as you're sneaking around are great.

There's an excellent balance between realism and action, a rich setting packed full of references and amusing little details, and clever use of noise as a gameplay element (loud noises can attract zombies from all over, which is often a risk, but also gives rise to tactics like the use of noise to lure or distract enemies). I also liked the combination of multiple playable characters and permanent death, if you get your character killed, it's final - they're dead and gone, and you'll have to play someone else from their group. It really feels like a loss when a survivor you've been building up into a badass gets torn apart in a raid gone horribly wrong.

Owing to its small budget, it's a bit rough around the edges, but it has a heart of gold and a lot of ambition. At first I thought "another zombie game?" but this was a breath of fresh air to me.
  94. Jan 14, 2014
    State of Decay is in my opinion the best zombie survival game to date. It isn't the mindless grind fest that you see with Left 4 Dead or have the ridiculous amounts of campy-ness in Dead Rising. (who doesn't want to fight zombies with double chainsaws, wearing a motorcycle helmet and hot pants?)

The game starts you out as Marcus, an average guy who comes home from a fishing trip to find his home town is now over run with zombies. From there you will sneak, fight, shoot, and scavenge, to stay alive.

As you progress you will gather new survivors, build a community, and maintain that community.
    You will play many, many, different survivors. As your player character will get tired, and can get hurt requiring you to bench them and pick another. Your characters gain experience and level up giving them access to more stamina, more health, and special moves. And if your character dies, they stay dead increasing the stakes as you venture out for supplies.

The good:
    State of Decay features a very immersive gameplay system. Combat is simplistic but rewarding. I play on PC with an 360 controller and feel like I can quickly and fluidly change between melee and ranged when I want to. The sound effects of the guns are very good, and the animations are visceral and satisfying when you stomp a zombies brains into the pavement or decapitate them.

Survivors: All survivors that join your team have retinues or passive abilities. These passives affect how this survivor will upgrade. Some can give bonuses or penalties when upgrading combat or defensive skills. And personality types affect how they interact with your group. Will you take an alcoholic cop with anger issues but has a bonus to guns and melee or leave him to fend for himself?

Noise and stealth: Shoot a gun, drive a car, honk a horn, break a window are some of the ways to draw zombies to your location. And the size of the noise matters. Breaking a window entering a house might only bring the zombies in that room to your location where blowing up a car or propane tank will basically ring the dinner bell. Stealth plays a huge role as you want to gain resources not waste them in an unnecessary fight. Zombies will only appear on your mini map if they are alerted to you, which means you have to mind your surroundings or you could walk right into a group of them or have one sneak up on you.

The bad:

The voice acting is pretty...ok most of the time, but you will run into dialogue that is just awful.
    And the script is in desperate need of an overhaul.

The combat for ranged weapons isn't as tight as it could be, meaning that popping heads in the open is fine, but trying to shoot out a window or through a door and you're gonna hit the wall a lot of the time.(This was with my ranged character with max gun upgrades)

You'll see zombies clip through walls, doors and windows. They can and do teleport or slide around the map. This doesn't happen all the time, but you will see it more than once.

NPC AI is mediocre to bad. There are no commands that I can find telling them to "Go here" or "Wait" or telling them to switch between ranged or melee weapons. You will see instances of NPC's just standing around as their friends fight for their lives and only engage when a zombie strays to attack them.

NPC's can't drive cars. Which sucks when you radio for an NPC scavenger run from a remote farm house. 2 days later, they will return with those supplies.

The game is still active after you quit, meaning that your resources will be used. This is probably the one part of the game that doesn't make any sense to me. As day and night will pass in the game, but the "time away" is when cars and weapons are repaired (provided you have the facilities), and resources are consumed, etc. I don't know why these things don't occur as I'm playing, and it's not explained very well in the tutorial. In fact there is a lot of stuff I wish the tutorial would have gone over in depth.

The supply locker will restock your ammunition and limits your stacks to 120 per ammo type.
    Meaning that if you have 240 of 9mm ammo, 120 will be "used" or removed when you play your game the next time. As of the Jan 2014 patch this is working as intended. I guess to prevent you from becoming broken, but I think it was a dumb decision of the devs to punish the player for "hoarding" in a game play genre that is ALL ABOUT hoarding. This is the same for certain health/stamina items. Reseach this on the wiki, or you may find yourself will half your supply of twinkies gone the next time you login.

That being said I still find this game very enjoyable. I got mine during the Steam Xmas sale, and if I had to pay full price knowing what I know now, I totally would. Pick it up for yourself and take a look. It's like Day Z, but without people with voice modulators screaming racial obscenities at you.
  95. Feb 9, 2014
    Survivor Doge says: much win, such survival. wow.

I bought both this and the DLC and couldn't be happier, there's quite a few cool mods out there already to add to this awesome game. All it needs is a proper sand box mode, but one can forestall story line pretty much indefinitely so it doesn't matter much.
  96. Dec 24, 2013
    This game is amazing, its more than typical zombie games, you have to rescue survivors and build up your ranks, find shelter, set up outposts, trade resources its just a amazing experience.
    If you want a zombie game thats more than just mindless running around killing zombies you will love this.
    Best zombie sim ever made. Not for crybaby gamers, IE ones that rage quit after some
    Best zombie sim ever made.
    Not for crybaby gamers, IE ones that rage quit after some challenge or after losing a character they worked on leveing up due to perma death.
    This is a game for gamers.
  97. Jul 9, 2014
    This is for the breakdown DLC.
    It got bugs and some annoying contrast issues, but for the most part the bugs can be avoided or they've been patched. The contrast is the one thing the player must get used to if they don't use mods.
    But building up your character, maintaining base, and sneaking up on zombies are so addicting, omg! I didn't know I'd spend so much time in a single player
    This is for the breakdown DLC.
    I didn't know I'd spend so much time in a single player game.
    Low price, addicting gameplay, and moddable game = A+ in my book.
    Thank you thank you thank you!
  98. Nov 17, 2013
    Great zombie survival sandbox. There are many unique survivors/weapons to collect & quests to finish. The story progression is great.

For all those complaining about keybindings, search Google it. It's not that hard to do some research. By the way, it uses keyboard & mouse now as default not Xbox controller.
  99. Jan 5, 2014
    Truly one of the best zombies (or "zeds" in the game) open-world game i ever played... you can build outposts, safe place, and upgrade your home base
    True, there are some annoying stuff like NPC's that act like robots, and when ever you bring supplies your character repeats:" i have stuff"
    State of decay is a super fun and "realistic" but i gave it 88 because of the super robotic NPC's
    State of decay is a super fun and "realistic"
    but i gave it 88 because of the super robotic NPC's and some over and over to-do stuff
  100. Mar 20, 2014
    This game is different from your typical zombie game. Open world zombies done right!

The combat is very fluid, the NPC's are useful fighters and the environments feel believable. The zombies in this game are less of a "monster" [in that they don't provide loot, or experience] and more of an obstacle. I personally enjoyed this take on zombies more so than the "kill as many zombies as

The zombies in this game are less of a "monster" [in that they don't provide loot, or experience] and more of an obstacle. I personally enjoyed this take on zombies more so than the "kill as many zombies as you can!" as approach that other games take.

The game is more about managing your crew and your homestead, all while achieving progress in the story. It takes an old concept and simply changes its focus and achieves great results.

1. Feb 3, 2014
    It might look dead on the outside, but the systemic mechanical genius of State of Decay is gloriously alive and kicking. [Feb 2014, p.82]
  2. Dec 31, 2013
    Stodgy combat, two-dimensional characters, and technical hitches prevent this from living up to its lofty premise. [Feb 2014, p.58]
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    At first, State of Decay feels like an exciting introduction into a bleak world of zombie apocalypse, but tedious missions, dated graphics and boring characters quickly ruin all the fun.