6.9

1. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is bad, and the people who made it should feel bad.

The problems start as soon as the game does. The introductory credits and in-game "cutscenes" are both unskippable. This is a cardinal sin in video game design and shows the quality of thought put into this title. Honestly, they teach that this is a bad idea in introductory design courses. The controls are badly, badly
    This game is bad, and the people who made it should feel bad.

The controls are badly, badly flawed. Keyboard commands will lockup (I am guessing this is a problem with the port as this particular machine is n-rollover) leaving you standing around in the middle of a fight helpless to do anything. A lesser sin, but another brought along from this being a console port is that the keys are not cannot be rebound.

The game's object oriented barriers are problematic as zombies can, and will, walk through walls or teleport across railings. This complicates the many, many close encounter fights as the AI's pathmapping is not particularly well made. This means that entrances such as doors will become crowded as the AI all try to finish the last action queued. This makes barricade missions exceptionally tough when all your friendly AI are bunched at a doorway while the rest of the building is being flooded with enemies.

Speaking of AI, it is horribly coded and whoever did this should stop programming right now and take a job as a fast food cashier. The AI will leave you during missions where you must escort friendly NPCs, which is a large sum of the total missions. Your party member will make a straight run towards the nearest safehouse or base completely oblivious to its surroundings. It will not sneak, it will not deviate from a straight line course (unless to avoid buildings, which it will most likely get stuck on), and it will run head on into a zombie horde, get killed and then the game will penalize you for being stupid enough to bring someone along. God help you if that NPC who had military experience died right before the mission spawned that REQUIRED an NPC with military experience. Its easier to scrap the save and start over when this happens. The game punishes you for its own design flaws.

On the note of bringing someone along, the inventory system is horrible. Actually, let me back up a bit, the entire menu system is a catastrophic failure. You cannot give items to another member of your party forcing you to leave the items, destroy them, or run all the way back to the nearest outpost. The mission log is styled as a notebook, but leaves every entry in one column, sorted chronologically (as per Morrowind). The fatal flaw with this design is that there is no way to easily sort through this information. The longer the game goes on, the longer the list, so the player must sit and go through all entries (details being on a separate page) looking for the relevant information. This COULD have been easily fixed by a tab system in which missions, events, and other notes could have been sorted into their own categories for easy viewing.

Another point is that bringing up the menu does not pause the game, which, if you are in the middle of battle and you need to switch weapons (the inventory system does not auto-equip the next available weapon of its type) it will leave you in a lurch. I hope you enjoy the one kicking animation in the game, you will see it a lot. This, along with how difficult the chronological event menu can be to navigate means that you are losing in game time looking for that one entry. NPCs can die, missions can spawn, and you can get your face eaten off while you try to find out if you completed that one task you got yesterday or not.

Time, now this is an interesting bit. The game's autosave feature seems to be... rather particular, about what it does or does not remember. If you are getting surrounded by zombies and are going to die you can simply exit the game (as long as you are not knocked to the ground) and you will teleport to the base at the dawn of the next day and all sins are forgiven. Buildings that would have taken a day to build are save-scummed into existence, and your food stockpile does not diminish. You can essentially force the autosaver to give you infinite daylight and respawns, as long as you're quick about it.

The game's high points of base building, missions, supply management, and the 4x of the city are all rather non sequitur. Spawn points for friendly NPCs and missions are random, no building has any realistic benefits over another for outposts, and the whole experience is completely dominated by a random number generator. You can have too much food because those missions spawn, or you can have too little because nothing spawns. It doesn't matter what you built, or how you built it because no event is reliable in this game.

It currently costs 20USD on steam, do not buy it until it is sold for 3USD. At that point its finally at the right price.
  2. Sep 28, 2013
    What PC game release's with mandatory controller use, and no mouse and keyboard support? This goes to show this is nothing but a cash in with no effort put into the port what so ever. Its sad.
  3. Sep 27, 2013
    As with most games these days, SOD is just another cheap and nasty console game being mass-marketed, but with absolutely no integrity at all as far as PC games are concerned. It's little more than leftover dregs of a very low budget console game.

It has actually been released on PC with no Keyboard/Mouse support which is downright insulting, to make this lazy port even worse, the game has really bad forced mouse acceleration which makes playing with a Mouse impossible and infuriating.

The graphics are reasonable for an indie game, but anyone with a keen eye can spot the inferiority of the textures, water caustics and animation, though its ugliness is well masked with excessive shadowing.

The game mechanics don't offer any real challenge or substance thanks to the simple button-mash combat system and the monotony of tasks you perform. The UI is bad and unsurprisingly console orientated.

All other aspects are trademarks of restrictive linear systems ported straight in from it's brain dead console counterpart.

The days of buying PC titles that are fit for purpose when you pay for them are nearing an end.
  4. Oct 6, 2013
    This version of the game is a port from the Xbox to the PC and is filled with bugs and glitches. There is no mouse or keyboard support. The AI of the zombies and the NPC's is horrible. The game is a funnel game where you are forced to follow a specific path so it is not a true open environment. The shooting/aiming of weapons is awful and clumsy. Driving a car is, in my opinion, the worstThis version of the game is a port from the Xbox to the PC and is filled with bugs and glitches. There is no mouse or keyboard support. The AI of the zombies and the NPC's is horrible. The game is a funnel game where you are forced to follow a specific path so it is not a true open environment. The shooting/aiming of weapons is awful and clumsy. Driving a car is, in my opinion, the worst part of the entire game; I suspect the person who created the driving interface never actually drove a car before so they don't understand the mechanics of being behind the wheel.

I paid $20 for a early copy of the game and I want my money back.

The only thing really good about the game is the graphics are acceptable. They also have designed a good idea concerning setting up a home base, gathering supplies and storing them and also collecting NPC's to protect the home base. Other than these items, the game completely lacks any sort of creativity or skill in design. In other words, save your money and don't purchase it because it completely and totally sucks.
  5. Aug 14, 2014
    I started off being very excited about this game. Unfortunately I was disappointed as many of the daily actions become tedious and the controls are terrible. Vehicles float around as if they weighed four pounds and I can't count how many times I barely bumped something and my truck went flying into the air, exploding and wounding my character. The game functions much like a phone appI started off being very excited about this game. Unfortunately I was disappointed as many of the daily actions become tedious and the controls are terrible. Vehicles float around as if they weighed four pounds and I can't count how many times I barely bumped something and my truck went flying into the air, exploding and wounding my character. The game functions much like a phone app where you should check in periodically as your characters must rest and heal up while you aren't playing. That's fine for phone games not fine for PC games. Bad controls and perma-death finally made me quit. I just wish this had more polish before being released. Expand
  6. Sep 1, 2014
    This game is just terrible. I bought it while it was on sale on Steam a few days ago, expecting a game comparable in quality to the standalone DayZ. Instead, what I got for my 5 dollars was a sad attempt at an open-world exploration game.

Melee combat is comparable to Skyrim, in that it lacks any depth beyond boring button-mashing that produces a death animation. Your objectives from the start are very unclear and I ran around for several hours before I found something to do. I had to search online to discover that the game revolves around foraging for supplies to support your base; a concept that seems interesting at first, but is poorly executed. The exploration, perhaps the most important part of the game, is both tedious and unrewarding; it feels almost like it was added as an afterthought. It's unclear as to what supplies actually benefit your base, but more about that later.

As for the animations and gameplay, the zombies frequently clip through walls and scenery props, ruining the immersion. The character models feel stocky and lifeless, with a limited set of possible animations that constantly repeat themselves. Your AI partners are completely worthless, frequently giving out your position and opening doors to wander around outside when you're trying to stealth through an area.

Overall, the game feels very poorly done and it's obvious that the developers had a limited resource pool. However, the game isn't totally broken and can still be played as it was intended to be played, hence the 2/10. I've only pushed myself to play 2 hours of State of Decay, so I'm sure that reading other reviews will give you a fuller picture of what the game is truly like.
  7. Feb 16, 2015
    Now, I bet they won't quote these:

This is the undisguiseably appalling product of another promising idea.

Surprisingly underwhelming lack of artistic direction!

Generally unpolished and weakly designed for its overly ambitious scope.
  8. Jun 3, 2015
    this game seems like an ad for the people who made. to show their abilities and that they can do good games with good funding. i agree with that and think that this team can do good games in the future. but state of decay was extremely repetitive and lost being fun after couple of hours.
  9. Nov 17, 2013
    Don't buy this "Game". It's just another cheap, broken, bugy console Port. The developers didn't bother to fix it, Basically all the bugs that have been reported in the X-Box version are still present. Adding to the issues the game and gameplay is allready having, the port just turned out horrible. The controlls are clunky, you can't change the keybindings, the mouseacceleration andDon't buy this "Game". It's just another cheap, broken, bugy console Port. The developers didn't bother to fix it, Basically all the bugs that have been reported in the X-Box version are still present. Adding to the issues the game and gameplay is allready having, the port just turned out horrible. The controlls are clunky, you can't change the keybindings, the mouseacceleration and sensivity is a joke and the worst thing is the hardware optimization. It's a joke really. I mean my PC may not be high end and up to date, But it still has 8 GIG of DDR3 Ram a Phenom Quad Core prozessor and a GTX 470 (and runs BF4 on med high settings with an playable amount of Fps) and yet i can hardly play it. Frameratedrops, horrible textures, glitches, collision issues. Just save yourself some time and nerves and don't waste your money on it. Expand
  10. Nov 27, 2013
    This game is atrocious. I bought it for $13 on Steam and after 10 minutes of play, regretting it. It's that bad. I can tell pretty quickly that this game was rushed out the door. Whoever is scoring this above a 6 must be paid reviews or part of the Dev team.

20 minutes in, in opening dialogue there are obvious voice over errors. Infinitely stupud design descisions In a game all about zombie survival, I cannot give items I find to my party members. If a party members pack is full, I either have to destroy items in my current pack, or switch to another member and see if they have any open spaces and do the same thing. LOL WHAT? WHO DESIGNED THIS GARBAGE? Terrible UI. What the hell is this? Why is this so complicated? No save points. Journal events log chronologically but quickly become a clusterf**k with no way of sorting them. Reused animations over and over. And over. Boring gameplay GTA style missions but it gets repetitive really quickly.

Where is the fun? This game isnt fun its like work. Log in, do more missions the game is bogged down with all of these extra things I have to worry about, that we dont care about and are completely unnecessary community status, population, fame, really fame in a zombie survival game? They didnt have to make it this complicated, and that's the problem. I'm not looking for another Skyrim with depth I want to play a fun zombie masher.

The AI is simplistic, bad, pathing is terrible, party members will do stupid things. Party members will run off in a mad rush to the safehouse when you start a mission for no apparent reason, oblivious to everything.

Something with the graphics are off as well. I'm not sure if its the bloom, or the shading, but something is way off and doesnt look right. I'm not wasting anymore energy for a review on this game.

The game could be been much better if whoever made these design decisions decided to quit game development before this game was made. Instead, they are going to be fired after the game tanks.

3/10.
  11. Aug 8, 2014
    I felt jipped within the first minute.
    Makes ARMA2 feel next-gen.
    Next to Title/Genre/Developer/Publisher there should be a new category called "horrible console port".
  12. Dec 17, 2013
    Much like 'walking dead', it promises so much but delivers very little, and what there is has been dropped on its head enough that it can be played with thumbs. buggy as hell (including patches to date), dumb arbitrary game mechanics, poor interface, stupid ai, annoying and repetitive quests, no replayability value, hardly even any point exploring. you might get an hour or two out of itMuch like 'walking dead', it promises so much but delivers very little, and what there is has been dropped on its head enough that it can be played with thumbs. buggy as hell (including patches to date), dumb arbitrary game mechanics, poor interface, stupid ai, annoying and repetitive quests, no replayability value, hardly even any point exploring. you might get an hour or two out of it before you start asking yourself why you keep playing. Expand
  13. Dec 30, 2013
    Not impressed with the game. First 15 minutes felt kinda like whack-a-zombie to me, no suspense or anything, just running around, collecting random loot and punching monsters. Plus it's a 100% console game, in a bad way. Seriously, if you want people to buy PC games, make PC games, not ports. Played it for a couple of hours, not looking to continue.
  14. Dec 25, 2013
    This one really should be in the $5 bin or free to play. It's repetitive, has no narrative, it's skewed to melee with broken gun mechanics (sorry devs, it doesn't take 30 seconds to reload a 9mm clip). Graphics are poor and game mechanics are cartoonish. Not worth your time, and you will keep asking yourself why you are playing it over and over. This is a bad survival work simulationThis one really should be in the $5 bin or free to play. It's repetitive, has no narrative, it's skewed to melee with broken gun mechanics (sorry devs, it doesn't take 30 seconds to reload a 9mm clip). Graphics are poor and game mechanics are cartoonish. Not worth your time, and you will keep asking yourself why you are playing it over and over. This is a bad survival work simulation not a game. Expand
  15. Nov 17, 2013
    i have difficulty using the keys they fix assign for pc games, i hate,hate,hate pc games that dont let you remap keys! this should be stamped on all pc games, what a waste of my money. rating the game is impossible if i cant even play it.
  16. Dec 26, 2013
    This game sucks for several reasons. Things like Zombies that can climb walls as wells as barbwire covered walls?

Horribad save system where the game saves for you and you don't get a choice and you can't reload. Equipment durability is It doesn't get better with more skilled characters. The aim is awful with guns. The bases aren't really very good with the walls being

Equipment durability is It doesn't get better with more skilled characters.

The aim is awful with guns.

The bases aren't really very good with the walls being useless and most additions having to be outside where the zombies can easily get to since the walls are useless.
  17. Jan 10, 2014
    Learned a lesson. Bought that because of good reviews here. Obviously just marketing department reviews because this game it just terrible! Game is ugly with bad GFX, bad sound, bad combat physics. Avoid at all costs!
  18. Oct 21, 2013
    Claims to be "Now you and the few scattered survivors must band together to survive and rebuild in a 3rd-person action game set in a dynamic open world." However, from the get-go it's a story quest driven roller-coaster. very light in the "role playing" department. As you run around questing you'll gain stats that change nothing in the way of gameplay. If you go off alone, your play isClaims to be "Now you and the few scattered survivors must band together to survive and rebuild in a 3rd-person action game set in a dynamic open world." However, from the get-go it's a story quest driven roller-coaster. very light in the "role playing" department. As you run around questing you'll gain stats that change nothing in the way of gameplay. If you go off alone, your play is limited by Exhaustion, which lowers your max stamina 10% every 20 mins. When you run out of stamina, you can't fight, run, etc. So you're dead. How do you avoid exhaustion? Gather survivors! How? You are forced into story quests to rescue other "survivors" who join you, and then proceed to fight and eventually kill each other UNLESS you hold their hands on more "quests" which involve walking to a nearby house and scavenging, which earns you exhaustion. But hey, you found supplies to upgrade your "sleeping area (no beds)" to a "bunkhouse" where you still can't sleep to remove exhaustion; for that, you'll have to switch to a different survivor with no stats (guess it doesn't matter since the stats don't do anything) or log out. Logging out for an hour removes exhaustion. Game gets a 2 for copying GTA driving, running over zombies is cool. Have fun? Expand
  19. Dec 23, 2013
    Well, Cant PLAY the game because CANT REMAP THE KEYS!! BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT BAD PORT Dont buy this game!! Dont play this game!!! WASTE OF TIME!!! DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE DELETE!!!!!
  20. Jun 29, 2014
    Really poor console port, terrible graphics, stale gameplay. Barely worth the 5 bucks sale price. SCORE 45/100.

I'm still willing to give it a few more go's, but there just isn't a lot there. I cannot emphasize how terrible the graphics are. It does not matter how beastly your graphics card is, this thing will not look good. AND IT DOES NOT SUPPORT 1440p or 1600p nor does it have any graphics adjustments. The lighting, shadows, and textures all look straight from the 360/PS3 era with zero effort given. It also has awful clipping.

Honestly, I enjoyed ZombiU on the WiiU a lot more than this, and it was only a pretty good game. This is tolerable but with so many Zombie-type games out there, this one just shouldn't get much of your time, attention, or money.
  21. Nov 21, 2013
    Just another crappy console port. Read the reviews and everyone will say it is terrible on the mouse and keyboard. For those that say get a xbox controller or whatever, if I wanted to play a game with a controller on a xbox, I would have bought a xbox. I have a PC and would like to play it with PC controls.

Still not possible at this time, PC support is non existent, or they just don't

Still not possible at this time, PC support is non existent, or they just don't care. Bottom line, if your a PC gamer you will want to stay away from this terrible port.
  22. Nov 13, 2013
    I purchased this hoping to find some DayZ-like game, but... it's like a GTA zombie game, with a strong arcade feel to it. No atmosphere. No realism.

This is an X-Box game. I would like there to be a warning on all such games: "NB! This was made for some crappy console! NOT for PC!" If there was I would know which games NOT to buy.... If I drive a car in this game and hit a zombie he

If I drive a car in this game and hit a zombie he will some times hang on to the car, and apparently hit the car while hanging on to it, ruining my car in the process. Eventually the car will start to burn because I have a zombie hanging on to the front bumper, hitting the hood... WTF?! That's just stupid.

Cars behave like arcade game cars. Even worse than in GTA.

I find ammo one place, but can not pick it up because I have too much in my inventory. When I return 2 minutes later with another character who has room to carry this there is no ammo there anymore. So?! What is the point of scouting when that happens consequently?

I get myself an iron pipe as a melee weapon in this game, but it breaks... so iron pipes break in real life when you hit somebody in the head with it? baseball bats easily break too? Or crowbars? Please can anyone tell me the logic here. They want us to be in deep okay, but they do this by letting our iron pipes break when we hit the zombies in the head? That stinks.

And the "political correctness" of this game is extreme. I am not sure, but did I just buy a pro-internationalism indoctrination program for myself, or did I buy a game? I don't know... maybe both, actually. If you are not European you might like this game.

I played this game for 3 hours. If I could I would throw it hard in the trash bin, but I can only uninstall it, because it is a digital download. I will push the left button on my mouse hard when I do. *spit*

From now on I will read more about a game before I buy it. My mistake.
  23. Jan 17, 2014
    Positives:
    + Fun for a few hours.

Negatives:
    - The game has MANY bugs;
    - It gets VERY repetitive.
    - The game has MANY bugs.
    - Missions VERY boring;
    - The game has REALLY MANY bugs: a major bug that has existed since the time of the xbox and never fixed up, makes NO new missions appear on the map, making it impossible to finish the game.
  24. Jul 9, 2014
    Comes close to a worthwhile game, but just doesn't make the cut.

You are far too caged in when it comes to the your base, the world is far too small and there are an unlimited number of zombies despite an extremely limited supply of resources. One would think that the mods might fix things, but the sheer number of bugs created by even the best mods makes it worse. An clunky combat
    Comes close to a worthwhile game, but just doesn't make the cut.

An clunky combat system compounds the problems. Worth a few days of entertainment, but you'll get bored and/or frustrated before every finishing the mission. If you don't, get checked for autism.
  25. Dec 10, 2013
    this is one of those examples of a bad zombie game. while there is a dozen out there that are good, this one just fails at every single point. controls are just horrible. mouse responsiveness is completely graphics are outdated. UI looks freaky ugly as hell and gameplay feels stiff. i can go on for hours but i think you are getting the point. Avoid this apocalypse!
  26. Aug 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing it for long enough to get the best outpost fully upgraded with all the upgraded stuff, I can say the critic reviews are way over-rated.

1. The zombies cheat! They warp through walls even biting you through closed doors, and they sometimes spawn right in front of your! Their physics don't make sense, for example you are sprinting flat out after drinking a full coffee with full stamina and for some reason they can catch up with you??? Despite the fact that 100% of zombie lore says that other than mutations zombies lose speed overtime.

For some reason when zombies are in groups they are attack faster and can sprint like Olympic athletes almost keep up with a vehicle going full speed.

2. Not enough Homesite customization. All you can build are a few shooting towers, bedrooms, clinics, ect, but what about unimpeachable walls? Pits? Various traps that funnel and confuse the zombies? There are a thousand ways to do it, for example a doll hanging out over a cliff that causes the zombies to constantly walk off.

3. Most if not all of the areas are setup right on the ground! If this game is supposed to mirror reality everyone would be sleeping on a second floor that can only be reached by climbing a series of tricky rope ladders, not sleeping out in the open.

4. The story-line is very blase. They only give you two choices and sometimes not even that, there feels like an overall lack of movement. Basically once I got the best homesite and all the best gear I started ignoring all the NPC requests. They basically wanted me to be their Apocalypse UPS which is boring.

5. NO FAST TRAVEL. Yes traveling is part of the 'experience' but after driving the same road more than 200 times it just becomes a daily commute and I'm not going to spend 'gaming time' doing a daily commute, B O R I N G.

Bottom Line: The game designers obviously didn't read the Zombie Survival Guide or the other zombies references and are just trying to cash in. The lack of proper base customization, the lack of vehicle customization (for example, a simple bumper upgrade), the lack of fast travel, NPCs that can fight well but are otherwise half retarded, and the game very quickly becomes all the worst things about a zombies apocalypse, specifically BOREDOM.
  27. Oct 7, 2014
    This game is just a defective port from console. Mechanics of the console causes suffering. Casual elements don allow to dive into the atmosphere. I should not have bought it
  28. Mar 15, 2015
    This game feels like it has potential but due to a host of problems playing this game feels more tedious than fun. To the game's credit, the open world, lots of zombies, you scavenging routine is somewhat compelling at first. Over time though the problems prevent immersion and make most of the game play aspects either frustrating chores or just rage inducing.
    The narrative is dull.
    The narrative is dull. Poor graphics are not a real problem but spawning enemies inside of fencing or walls, an all too common sight, is lazy/bad design. The vehicles have terrible controls and seem to be made out of cardboard. The combat mechanics are both terrible and boring which would be excusable fighting could be avoided more easily. The controls for the characters has problems, with the game frequently not responding to keyboard commands. Certain missions, namely the "Besieged" missions and all other missions like them go on forever. The decision to make this game autosave was bad. The fatigue mechanic requiring you to change out between player characters had potential to be ok but is ruined by making other player characters frequently unavailable because they are busy. This game also has a mechanic where things can change over the duration of time you are not playing to simulate a continuous passage of time, as well as a continuous using of resources. Finally the menu system, especially the journal, is a mess and frequently unhelpful.
    If the game only had one or two of these problems it is possible that I could be on board with referring to this game as something like "a flawed masterpiece" or at least "an interesting indie title a bought because it is was on sale". Instead, I consider it a waste of potential by a group of developers who do not seem to grasp how annoying many of their mechanical design choices are.
  29. Jan 27, 2017
    PC port is crap, graphics are crap, frame rates are crap. How the heck can you sell such a product? Early Access? dude it's half game! IDK if it works well in Xbox or PS but if you publish it for PC then ****ing do it!

1. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 3, 2014
    It might look dead on the outside, but the systemic mechanical genius of State of Decay is gloriously alive and kicking. [Feb 2014, p.82]
  2. PC Gamer
    Dec 31, 2013
    Stodgy combat, two-dimensional characters, and technical hitches prevent this from living up to its lofty premise. [Feb 2014, p.58]
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    At first, State of Decay feels like an exciting introduction into a bleak world of zombie apocalypse, but tedious missions, dated graphics and boring characters quickly ruin all the fun.