7.3

1. Jun 24, 2013
    Unfortunately Strike Suit Zero is little more than a standard space shooter and there are better love letters to Freespace 2 out there (Tarr Chronicles, Dark Horizon). The transforming space Gundam and music made the game look excellent in the trailer but the game itself falls short.
  2. Feb 3, 2013
    If you fancy flying a space-ship with no breaks, unlimited ammo, insane amount of HP all while having toilet rolls glued to your eyelids, this is a game for you. Oh and, don't expect any actual mecha-combat when you jump in and play. Tutorial is a few hours followed by god knows how much grind before you can even unlock the first ship for it and by then, you'd already be bored to death from the laughable voice-acting and MMO grind quests IN THE SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN. Expand
  3. Mar 10, 2014
    I held off buying Strike Suit Zero for a long time because I figured there was no way it would be as cool as it looks. Seeing it on sale at Steam was the final nudge I needed to pull the trigger and I can now say it is actually cooler than it looks. I’m sorry I waited so long to pick up this title.

SSZ will appeal to anyone who was a fan of games like Rogue Squadron or Colony Wars on
    the PS One. It’s not quite up to level of depth that X-Wing or Wing Commander had since this is more arcade shooter than simulation. If you liked those games, though, I’d still recommend SSZ since the whole space dogfighting genre seems dead and you won’t find better nowadays. SSZ has fluid and intense gameplay with great graphics & music. Voice acting is spotty but not bad.

The controls may take a little getting used to but once you master them you’ll feel like a boss in the titular Strike Suit. Spamming your swam missiles has a very Robotech/Macross feel and never gets old. I played this with a Xbox 360 controller for PC and found the controls very tight & responsive. No idea what happened to some other reviewers who say the controls are clunky. They may be trying to play with keyboard & mouse but I learned long ago rule #1 of space shooter games is to bring a joystick or gamepad.

The missions have a nice variety and are thrilling to play through. The narrative is pretty solid, too, and keeps you interested in moving along. You get scored on each sortie and can also unlock a particular upgrade if certain optional goals are met. Once you beat a mission, you can replay it using any new fighter craft or weapons you’ve unlocked. Some people complain the missions get repetitive and are impossibly hard. I didn’t find them repetitive and they may be too hard if you don’t get any ship upgrades. I’ll admit I went back & switched the difficulty to easy mode to pick up a few, which is an option for anyone who thinks it’s too hard.

Best of all, there are checkpoints inserted into the sometimes lengthy missions. This is a welcome feature since you don’t have to keep replaying the same thirty minutes of a mission over & over again when only the last five minutes are giving you trouble. Checkpoints are frequently placed right at those optional parts required to unlock upgrades which again is very nice since, if you miss the optional goal, you do not have to start the entire mission again from the beginning.

SSZ isn’t a perfect game but some reviewers are going overboard on their criticism of it. This space & sci-fi combat genre is one I miss a lot and I’ve had a blast playing this game. If you are a fan of any of the titles I mentioned above, you should definitely pick it up. It feels like a blast from the past & a new experience at the same time.
  4. Mar 5, 2014
    Fun space shooter, at least at first, that gets pretty generic and boring. Not terrible but not great. GOOD - Outstanding soundtrack that gave me chills when I was playing first few missions - Classic space-shooter with thrilling action and 0 BS included - Great controls which is very important in this genre (used keyboard+mouse) BAD - Customization is very shallow and limited for seemingly no reason
    - Once you get used to action, missions get boring and repetetive
    - Weak plot and characters

It wasn't a bad game per se just not very good, it lacked something that would make me think this product is special and deserves higher score. If possible I'd give it a 6.5/10 instead of 6. Recommended for space shooters fans that don't care about plot.
  5. Jan 15, 2014
    At first this looks like a good space fighter sim with some Zone of the Ender mechanics, but man did they ever get it wrong. Whoever did the game balance doesn't know what they're doing. Maybe they used to make board games? I'm not sure. But the regular ship takes forever to build up one volley of shots. This means taking out 20 fighters (a common objective in the first 3 missions) can take about 20 minutes. Why would they do that? Restrictions are fun! Let's restrict everything!

Like the Strike Suit. You'd think, "okay, cool robot form that's even in the game title: Of course you should be able to change that whenever you like, right?" Wrong. You have to destroy debris and enemy fighters to 'power it'. How does that even make sense? Shooting in the Strike Suit turns into Motion Blurr City, which is extremely laggy. There's also no lead targets in Strike Suit mode, so good luck hitting anything with primary fire. The suit itself seems terribly underwhelming. Its best attack when you first get it is a volley of missiles. Not very exiting, and doesn't make you feel powerful.

The game was advertised when it came out as if this was a successor to the Zone of the Enders series. No. Its just a cheap powerup gimmick in a space sim with a standard engine (think Star Wars: Star Fighter on the PS2, but not as easy to control or as intuitive). The balance is abismal. The story seems interesting, but every time you think a level is going to end you get "wait, we've got 50 more fighters inbound" and it just makes me sigh. I gave up after 10 minutes of the Strike Suit being seeming utterly useless and unable to kill even one turret on an enemy frigate.

Maybe I'll come back to it one day and find out something I missed, but man does this game make me want to cry. I love Gundam and Zone of the Enders stuff, but this is such a poor attempt at copying those games. I feel like the design team got the wing suit idea dumped on them at the last minute while they were making a space sim. They still managed to mess up both aspects of design. Kudos?
  6. Sep 10, 2013
    I liked Rogue Squadron. I liked Starfighter. I don't like this game. Firstly, the reviews make it out to be a lot more action-mech oriented than it is. It's a dogfighter. Second, the concept art makes it seem like you'll be a guy in a robot suit fighting a bunch of ships. You only get to be the suit for short bursts, and when you're in suit mode, you're frozen in place. Third, tons more stuff is just done wrong. Explosions look boring, the camera gets unstable when shot, even worse when there's lots going on, there's a ridiculous lag problem, all ships except the suit are always moving forward, which has killed me at least once after I'd completed a mission and was just waiting for my allies (who don't help with anything and can't be commanded to handle a specific task, like covering you or protecting an allied cruiser) to stop talking so the victory cutscene would play. My skippy little spaceship crashed into some stationary debris because there's no brakes. Furthermore, I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but on my end, the soundtrack was horrible. All I heard was some feminine warbling. No pumping, John Williams-esque trumpets and strings like I expected. Just warbling. All in all, this was a severely disappointing game, and I feel extremely sorry for anyone who falls for the ruse the devs are putting up with their misleading art and description. They should be ashamed of themselves. Expand
  7. Jan 26, 2013
    A brilliant, beautiful, and thrilling throwback to the early 2000's, when space flight sims of all kinds and colours graced the PC market. And I, as a massive fan of those games, welcome this return to some of the most fun I've ever had. If you enjoyed games like Tachyon, Freespace, and Dark Horizon (though I may be the only person to like that one) then this is definitely a worthy and nostalgia-inducing purchase. Expand
  8. Jan 24, 2013
    For a small dev team and funding these guys made a great game. Has great replay value and enough hours to keep you going for 15-20 easy. The combat is very clear and the controls are smooth. The graphics are just stunning. To think this game from a small studio is shocking. The game is fantastic and I recommend it to everyone into the space sims type of game.
  9. Jan 28, 2013
    I was hesitant to buy this game because it wasnt getting glowing reviews and after buying it I can somewhat see where a few of the negative reviews are coming from but overall I think this is a GREAT game. The negative aspects that I feel are somewhat justified are that the missions are a bit too long and it can be a difficult game at times, but I feel like in Dark Souls that kind of difficulty is what makes this game good in a way. If it was any easier I think people would be crying its too easy, and you can replay the missions with different types of ships so if you want to increase difficulty you could always use a less powerful ship and in turn it would make the mission more difficult. Now having said the negative aspects, I think we can all agree the game looks absolutely gorgeous! It has amazing graphics and I really, really enjoy the game play. I think one of the most accurate video reviews was the one made by Gamespot and how they said it can be somewhat slow until you get your Strike-suit but then it goes full speed and never looks back, I would totally agree with that assessment and would go as far to say the slowness at the beginning is required for learning to play it well. I also think it has a pretty great story line, but maybe that's just me. I have really missed the good games this genre had been putting out in the past like Wing Commander and if you ever liked any of the Wing Commander-like games then I think you will love this game. I can truly say I am glad I bought this game and will enjoy playing it for many days to come. Expand
  10. Jan 25, 2013
    Solid 7 - it never reaches the height of Colony Wars and isn't a serious space sim - but as a shooter its solid fun - once you get past the first few missions and get a Mech that is!
  11. Jan 27, 2013
    All the bad things you've readI bought strike suit zero with the hopes of a good space sim, while it's not horrendously bad it lacks some serious polishing. Let's start with controls: Controls are clunky(I'm playing on keyboard&mouse). I'm not talking about adjusting mouse sensibility etc. controls are clunky in general. Also, something that annoyed me to no end is you can't come to a complete halt with your ship. You just can't! Developers didn't added it to the game. Best you can do is slow down from your speed from "fast" to "moderate". Because of the lack of a full stop feature you will end up crashing you to bigger ships all the time. Turrets also take a long time to destroy(you end up using your whole energy and it might still be intact) and since YOU CAN'T COME TO A FULL STOP you just have to barrage a turret, move away from the ship, return and attack it again. It gets very boring after a while. Ally AI is horrible. They're barely cannon fodder worthy. You'll be fighting alone almost all the time. Especially in some missions when you'll be flying a bomber where ally ai is suppose to cover you, you'll tear your own hair apart because while the only bomber is under attack from 8 different fighters, ally pilots are doing god knows what. Missions, missions are pretty generic. I bought this game thinking i was getting something similar to the freespace 2. While there are some similarities, overall, game is falling short. Strike suit is not that fascinating. If i could compare a gun to the strike suit, normal mode would be a pistol and strike mode would be burst fire mode. Targeting has similar problems. There is not a key to target someone that's shooting you. You end up trying to turn around to find him(while moving, yes no full stop) You can target the ship closest to you but the same key is used for choosing mission objective targets so it's useless when there is a target objective in the map(which is very common). Also, missions are pretty much "go there blow that" and they sometimes add a time limit, that's it. Missions start&end briefings are a nice touch but they're not detailed. There is no rearming while you're in the mission. Main guns lack the power to take down ships in the allocated time to complete objective so you end up using the missiles as a supplement. If you used those missiles for something else, too bad, restart from checkpoint. On the plus side, music is not bad, visuals are good. For 15$ this game is not bad, but approach it knowing its bad sides. about this game are pretty much true. It's pretty meh. Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    The game supports my Logitech G940, this reason alone makes this game worth the price. Now the gameplay itself is fairly decent, not the best in the world but still good enough to have fun. The story and voice acting is a bit weak, but that does not hamper the overall experience, if you are a Space-sim fan then you must try this game out.
  13. Feb 8, 2013
    Great music, remarkable backdrop art, skillful ship design and a cool twist on the space shooter gameplay should have made this game a must buy for the fans of the genre, but are instead are the accusing fingers pointing to its inadequacy. Simply said, Strike Suit Zero is too simple. Other than for a single combat gimmick its gameplay is far below the heights achieved by the genre in games like freespace or the X series. While this can be partially attributed to its indie origins and a substantial difference in budget, it doesn't excuse the level of monotony encountered throughout the game. Monotony of combat, characterized by few, ever identical ships and, what is most glaring, monotony of narration, which is shallow enough that its total absence would have probably gotten a higher score from me. Add an uneven difficulty curve and a few design mistakes and an otherwise acceptable shooter becomes a trite waste of time. Expand
  14. Jun 8, 2013
    This game is ridiculously hard. They came out with difficulty settings on it and even on Easy, it is ridiculously hard. It's frustrating, not fun, not challenging, just surprise you're dead for no reason. Or sometimes, surprise, you didn't get the goal because you couldn't get to it fast enough because humans aren't meant to track 5 things in the sky at the same time in completely opposite directions. Whoever directed this game, this should be your last game. It's a beautiful pile of anguish that I wish on no one. I'm so disappointed that I gave you my money for this. I will make sure not to do so in the future. Expand
  15. Feb 10, 2013
    The most fun I have had in a Space Combat Sim since Project Silpheed, an often overlooked game for the 360. It needs a bit of polish and there are some serious difficulty spikes, but once you get a feel for it there is a ton of fun to be had. For $20 you really cannot go wrong and I hope that going forward they can tune this solid 8.0 into a 10.0
  16. Feb 4, 2013
    While the graphics are not up-to-date and the difficulty may seem unfair at different points, I am still having quite a lot of fun with this game.
    The concept of having to replay old missions to unlock essential upgrades is not really optimal as it breaks up the storyline before you even have it finished, but finally getting that upgrade is really satisfying.

The game is also demanding
    some skills as you constantly have to switch between weapons, adjust your throttle, evade missiles/gunfire and master the strike mode with completely different controls, but that's actually a good thing. Expand
  17. Jan 25, 2013
    I have only played a couple of hours so far but for an indie game (people need to remember that!) this is pretty well done. Sure the story is pretty boring...the voice acting atrocious but if you just want to shoot things out of the sky and admire the lovely graphics and explosions than you can't really go wrong with this.
  18. Feb 22, 2013
    One of the worst games of 2013 so far. Every mission is a "protect fat idiot" mission, every battle is a cluster*k, visual effects are too bright/dense and are messing with visibility, upgrade system is idiotic (considering how unhandy controls are), inadequate checkpoints.

Props for backgrounds, graphic and music
  19. May 4, 2013
    Don't know whats with the critics because this game was great. A little bad with story but it was a great arcade game which brought me back to the space theme in games which I enjoyed as a child and also the graphics were amazing considering the intensity of the combat, stayed good throughout!
  20. Jul 21, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews, the game is fantastic, it is not too difficult, but you can turn it down to easy if its too hard for you. The fov is adjustable, controls are totally customizable, seriously some of these negative reviews are full of completely false information.
  21. Jan 28, 2013
    Soundtrack is phenomenal, the graphics are great, the backdrops (while static) are absolutely amazing. The voice acting reminds me of BSG characters, and the gameplay is absolutely addictive. I haven't been this pulled in by a flight shooter in a long time. The only other game I can think of is Descent 2. The original H.A.W.X. comes to mind, as well (in terms of fun).

Don't listen to
    the haters who can't handle the difficulty curve. The game isn't buggy, it's not unpolished, the UI isn't terrible (in fact, it's REALLY good!), these people are just spoiled by all the newschool games out there. This game is hard as nails and it harkens back to a time when games were meant to take more than a handful of tries to advance. If you loved Asteroids back in the day, played Descent like a crackhead, and loved spending pockets worth of quarters in the arcade--then this game is a no-brainer purchase for you. If, instead, you like to **** about how hard games are because they don't tell you where everything is/exactly how to beat the level, then maybe pass this one up and go buy Hello Kitty: Island Adventure or Smurfs & Co. instead. Strike Suit Zero is for gamers who actually want to be challenged by their games. The game has excellent keyboard/mouse controls, superb gamepad support and (my favorite) outstanding joystick support. I've been playing this with my Logitech Extreme Force 3D PRO and the experience is awesome. WARNING: The already hard game gets a lot harder when you use a joystick, but for fly-boys of old who aren't afraid of that, it's an awesome experience. If you have a Nostromo/n52/n52te keypad to go along with your joystick, then you're about to have one sick, specialized peripheral romp in space mecha wonderland. 10/10 best $16 I've spent in a long time. Expand
  22. Jan 25, 2013
    A good story
    a bit of a problem with the text ,for instance "you are being moved forward" When in fact what they ment was "you are being sent to the front" - the first one feels like someone who doesnt speak english
    great graphics and a solid game ,i have to admit i loved flying the fighter more then the super fighter/robot thing
    but its fun
    in total , a good game
  23. Jan 25, 2013
    I backed this on kickstarter and find myself deeply underwhelmed. How someone can make a transforming space mecha combat game feel dull and repetitive is beyond me. I think I actually enjoyed the space combat sections of Star Wars:The Old Republic more than this,and that is truly damning it with faint praise. Things that made me uninstall the game after 3 hours-
    -Narrow Field of
    Vision,Between 40 and 57 degrees are something I never want to see as my options. 70-80 make the bare comfortable minimum for me. It also makes space combat feel cramped and confusing .
    -Awful handling on the ships. The two birds I got to fly in this game both handled like WWII fighters in space, they seem to lack fine maneuverability and the game gives you few options rather than charging head on at a capital ships guns and then the ships poor handling rakes off all your shields as you scrape along the hull.
    -Repetitive mission design. Escort this, Go here kill X amount of fighter or turrets, don't let your ridiculously incompetent squadron mates die. The missions are boring, and most of the time failure is caused by allied AI incompetence.
    -Strike Suit Mode, rather than feeling like a powerful and useful transformation turns you into a sitting duck. The only thing I found it truly useful for was rapidly targeting enemy torpedoes to protect a capital ship and taking out clusters of fighters. Both of which feel like mundane baby-sitting level tasks.
  24. Jan 29, 2013
    Great space combat controls that blend together well with the mech transformation mode. Battles are always a great visual treat as the screen fills with fighter trails and a hailstorm of missiles, Itano Circus style. It's like this generation's version of the PS2 Macross game.
  25. Jan 23, 2013
    Really good fun - pretty standard space shooter but its been a while since one came around I actually enjoyed! A little light on the story and pretty simple if nice graphics and sound - but hey, its cheap and its fun!
  26. Jan 23, 2013
    Space? Check. Giant ships? Check. Transforming death-spitting robots? Got that too.
    Chances are that if you enjoyed any of the Ace Combat series or had fun watching mecha anime, you'll lap this up. The first thing that will strike you is the graphics; for an indie offering they are excellent and really lend themselves to the game and it's mechanics. The gameplay is generally good
    although the difficulty curve will be very sharp for players not used to flight games, but after you clear that initial fence you'll be having a whale of a time blasting down those darn colonists. The story is the usual objective based bibble, "Save /destroy the X to defeat/save the Y", but you can forgive it as the game would suffer if it were dialogue heavy
    That said the game otherwise is an excellent indie offering that deserves your consideration for being fun, challenging and the only one of it's kind for long time. (*sigh* where did all the mechs go?)
  27. Jul 20, 2013
    This game is fantastic so far. It's a fun arcade feeling type of space shooter. I've been waiting for something to capture that same feeling of excitement and intensity of Rogue Squadron from back in the day. It's been years, and finally Strike Suit Zero comes along to fill the void.

I've been playing with an xbox controller and the controls feel easy and intuitive. The graphics are
    nice and the overall feel of the game captures the mood they are trying to push. Dog fighting in space is as fun as it sounds.

Furthermore, they are going to support the Oculus Rift, which will be more than I could have ever dreamed for. It's a great time to be a gamer.
  28. Oct 24, 2013
    Strike Suit Zero is one of those games that by all means I should be infuriated by, but I'm not. The titular Strike Suit is an absolute joy to fly once mastered, but the somewhat-slippery handling while in Fighter Mode and brutally challenging missions mean you need to be perfect, which isn't going to happen. The story is nothing worth writing home about, just your generic "War between nations... IN SPACE" story with uninteresting characters with meh voice acting. Mission objectives are tired and some missions drag on past the point where they stop being fun

However, what the game does wrong with it's story, it more than makes up for it in style. Strike Suit Zero is home to some of the best visual design I've seen in ages. The backdrops are jaw-droppingly gorgeous, and Paul Ruskay's soundtrack (of Homeworld fame) is stellar. Vocals by KOKIA really add to the feel that you are playing the game equivalent of a 80's giant robot series.

All-in-all, Strike Suit Zero is too flawed to reccomend for everyone, much as I'd love to. When everything is firing on all cylinders, the game is one of the best space combat experiences I've had in a while. But those moments are fleeting in a game bogged down by long, lackluster missions and slippery controls. It's not something everyone will love, but if the idea of hopping into a robot dogfighter appeals then I'd definitely check out Strike Suit Zero.
  29. Jan 23, 2013
    Haven't had this much fun in an action space combat game since Colony Wars on the PS one. Lots of action and some fantastic colourful graphics. Weapons feel fantastic and youll love the missiles. Favourite features include the strike suit mode and the targeting system for your main guns. Very useful system insuring you hit the target instead of spraying wildly into space.
  30. Jan 24, 2013
    I bought strike suit zero with the hopes of a good space sim, while it's not horrendously bad it lacks some serious polishing. Let's start with controls: Controls are clunky(I'm playing on keyboard&mouse). I'm not talking about adjusting mouse sensibility etc. controls are clunky in general. Also, something that annoyed me to no end is you can't come to a complete halt with your ship. You just can't! Developers didn't added it to the game. Best you can do is slow down from your speed from "fast" to "moderate". Because of the lack of a full stop feature you will end up crashing you to bigger ships all the time. Turrets also take a long time to destroy(you end up using your whole energy and it might still be intact) and since YOU CAN'T COME TO A FULL STOP you just have to barrage a turret, move away from the ship, return and attack it again. It gets very boring after a while. Ally AI is horrible. They're barely cannon fodder worthy. You'll be fighting alone almost all the time. Especially in some missions when you'll be flying a bomber where ally ai is suppose to cover you, you'll tear your own hair apart because while the only bomber is under attack from 8 different fighters, ally pilots are doing god knows what. Missions, missions are pretty generic. I bought this game thinking i was getting something similar to the freespace 2. While there are some similarities, overall, game is falling short. Strike suit is not that fascinating. If i could compare a gun to the strike suit, normal mode would be a pistol and strike mode would be burst fire mode. Targeting has similar problems. There is not a key to target someone that's shooting you. You end up trying to turn around to find him(while moving, yes no full stop) You can target the ship closest to you but the same key is used for choosing mission objective targets so it's useless when there is a target objective in the map(which is very common). Also, missions are pretty much "go there blow that" and they sometimes add a time limit, that's it. Missions start&end briefings are a nice touch but they're not detailed. There is no rearming while you're in the mission. Main guns lack the power to take down ships in the allocated time to complete objective so you end up using the missiles as a supplement. If you used those missiles for something else, too bad, restart from checkpoint. On the plus side, music is not bad, visuals are good. For 15$ this game is not bad, but approach it knowing its bad sides. Expand

1. Apr 16, 2014
    In conclusion, as a small downloadable title there is much to like about Strike Suit Zero; its story is interesting if awkwardly told, and its gameplay is finely-tuned and worth revisiting.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    I’m under the impression that Strike Suit Zero’s developers paid attention to aspects of the game that, although important, like graphics, music, presentation, were not the truly essential ones- thus leaving important elements, like gameplay, A.I and action, to chance. [March 2013]
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    If you want to spend a night out with FreeSpace 2 in a slinky red dress, this is your game. Just don't expect thrilling dinner conversation. [March 2013, p.84]