7.3

1. Jan 28, 2013
    I was hesitant to buy this game because it wasnt getting glowing reviews and after buying it I can somewhat see where a few of the negative reviews are coming from but overall I think this is a GREAT game. The negative aspects that I feel are somewhat justified are that the missions are a bit too long and it can be a difficult game at times, but I feel like in Dark Souls that kind of difficulty is what makes this game good in a way. If it was any easier I think people would be crying its too easy, and you can replay the missions with different types of ships so if you want to increase difficulty you could always use a less powerful ship and in turn it would make the mission more difficult. Now having said the negative aspects, I think we can all agree the game looks absolutely gorgeous! It has amazing graphics and I really, really enjoy the game play. I think one of the most accurate video reviews was the one made by Gamespot and how they said it can be somewhat slow until you get your Strike-suit but then it goes full speed and never looks back, I would totally agree with that assessment and would go as far to say the slowness at the beginning is required for learning to play it well. I also think it has a pretty great story line, but maybe that's just me. I have really missed the good games this genre had been putting out in the past like Wing Commander and if you ever liked any of the Wing Commander-like games then I think you will love this game. I can truly say I am glad I bought this game and will enjoy playing it for many days to come. Expand
  2. Jul 21, 2013
    Ignore the negative reviews, the game is fantastic, it is not too difficult, but you can turn it down to easy if its too hard for you. The fov is adjustable, controls are totally customizable, seriously some of these negative reviews are full of completely false information.
  3. Jan 28, 2013
    Soundtrack is phenomenal, the graphics are great, the backdrops (while static) are absolutely amazing. The voice acting reminds me of BSG characters, and the gameplay is absolutely addictive. I haven't been this pulled in by a flight shooter in a long time. The only other game I can think of is Descent 2. The original H.A.W.X. comes to mind, as well (in terms of fun).

Don't listen to
    the haters who can't handle the difficulty curve. The game isn't buggy, it's not unpolished, the UI isn't terrible (in fact, it's REALLY good!), these people are just spoiled by all the newschool games out there. This game is hard as nails and it harkens back to a time when games were meant to take more than a handful of tries to advance. If you loved Asteroids back in the day, played Descent like a crackhead, and loved spending pockets worth of quarters in the arcade--then this game is a no-brainer purchase for you. If, instead, you like to **** about how hard games are because they don't tell you where everything is/exactly how to beat the level, then maybe pass this one up and go buy Hello Kitty: Island Adventure or Smurfs & Co. instead. Strike Suit Zero is for gamers who actually want to be challenged by their games. The game has excellent keyboard/mouse controls, superb gamepad support and (my favorite) outstanding joystick support. I've been playing this with my Logitech Extreme Force 3D PRO and the experience is awesome. WARNING: The already hard game gets a lot harder when you use a joystick, but for fly-boys of old who aren't afraid of that, it's an awesome experience. If you have a Nostromo/n52/n52te keypad to go along with your joystick, then you're about to have one sick, specialized peripheral romp in space mecha wonderland. 10/10 best $16 I've spent in a long time. Expand
  4. Dec 21, 2013
    This game is awesome! Controls are great, graphics are great, and most of all, the action is great!

It's not difficult at all! Honestly if you find this game too difficult, you aren't very good at flight based games. It's actually a bit too easy at times, but I look forward to trying the harder settings.

In the area that matters for this style game, GAMEPLAY, this game delivers!

One final note: there is NOTHING wrong with the way checkpoints are set up, some people want super easy games, this game is challenging. Learn2play.
  5. Jul 20, 2013
    This game is fantastic so far. It's a fun arcade feeling type of space shooter. I've been waiting for something to capture that same feeling of excitement and intensity of Rogue Squadron from back in the day. It's been years, and finally Strike Suit Zero comes along to fill the void.

I've been playing with an xbox controller and the controls feel easy and intuitive. The graphics are
    nice and the overall feel of the game captures the mood they are trying to push. Dog fighting in space is as fun as it sounds.

Furthermore, they are going to support the Oculus Rift, which will be more than I could have ever dreamed for. It's a great time to be a gamer.
  6. Jul 15, 2013
    It's a shame people don't understand why this game is fun. Get 3x 27" screens and an X52 Pro flight sim controller and sit back with a glass of the good stuff and enjoy. Critical comments need not apply as this is my opinion. So trolls beware! I know where you live..... under bridges!

I have first hand experience with this game on the Oculus rift and its spectacular, mind boggling,
    unbelievable, immersive and unprecedented fun!
    It's easy to get your hands dirty in this game and yes there are spikes of difficulty but who gives a monkeys? Games are not meant to be mindless easy things that any brain dead chimp can complete at the drop of his top hat and monocle. Welcome to something that can only be classed as ground breaking good fun!

The staff on support were hands down excellent when I was having some issues with my trip screens and flight sim controller, this was a definite plus considering getting info out of most developers support is like getting blood from a stone.

I say go Indies go! Screw the AAA titles its the same old rubbish being recycled for the mindless drones out there who have no imagination or taste in terms of games. This is an indie dev that has shown us something enjoyable and fun. They should be given a good old pat on the back and commended for such an excellent contribution.

Thank you Born Ready!
  7. Jul 19, 2013
    This game reminds me of Macross (Art Style) Homeworld (Music, Characters), Armored Core (Ship Modules) and Wing Commander(Combat Mechanics). If you are a fan of any of these you owe it to yourself to get this game. Very enjoyable and great way to indulge your space game fix.
  8. Aug 28, 2013
    one of the best games I ever played.It got all what I want space ,aircraft (spacecraft now lol) and gundam like mechs what do you want more it is a little bit hard ...but it is fun to play it and it is challenging
  9. Oct 25, 2013
    It's a great game! While there are a few issues with graphics (starting in windows mode instead of fullscreen & going full white screen) & sound (If level is started right after loading has finished, sound fails to fully initialize), the gameplay is excellent and very Gundam like in its play. The ability to play with the Strike Suit and target lock multiple enemies/points makes gameplay quite enjoyable. You'll be holding your breath trying to multi-task objectives and keeping ships intact. You're the center of the action. Expand
  10. Jan 23, 2013
    Haven't had this much fun in an action space combat game since Colony Wars on the PS one. Lots of action and some fantastic colourful graphics. Weapons feel fantastic and youll love the missiles. Favourite features include the strike suit mode and the targeting system for your main guns. Very useful system insuring you hit the target instead of spraying wildly into space.
  11. Jan 26, 2013
    A brilliant, beautiful, and thrilling throwback to the early 2000's, when space flight sims of all kinds and colours graced the PC market. And I, as a massive fan of those games, welcome this return to some of the most fun I've ever had. If you enjoyed games like Tachyon, Freespace, and Dark Horizon (though I may be the only person to like that one) then this is definitely a worthy and nostalgia-inducing purchase. Expand
  12. Jan 29, 2013
    Great space combat controls that blend together well with the mech transformation mode. Battles are always a great visual treat as the screen fills with fighter trails and a hailstorm of missiles, Itano Circus style. It's like this generation's version of the PS2 Macross game.
  13. Jan 25, 2013
    A good story
    a bit of a problem with the text ,for instance "you are being moved forward" When in fact what they ment was "you are being sent to the front" - the first one feels like someone who doesnt speak english
    great graphics and a solid game ,i have to admit i loved flying the fighter more then the super fighter/robot thing
    but its fun
    in total , a good game
  14. Jan 23, 2013
    The leaves maybe a little repetitive but the game-play just blows that away. I do not know what all the other reviews mean when there say its frustrating because I am not finding that. The game is a good challenge and if you are looking for a Nostalgia kick or a good space sim this is the game for you.
  15. Jan 24, 2013
    With great music, a polished and easy to use set of controls this game is really amazing for a KickStarter funded project. If you ever wanted to play as an interceptor in a HomeWorld game, now is your chance :)
  16. Feb 3, 2013
    The first hour alone was worth the price of admission. A game controller is a must! I highly prefer first person views in general, and the game supports it very well via visual and audio/voice cues. It's so nice to have roll control.
  17. May 4, 2013
    Don't know whats with the critics because this game was great. A little bad with story but it was a great arcade game which brought me back to the space theme in games which I enjoyed as a child and also the graphics were amazing considering the intensity of the combat, stayed good throughout!
  18. May 16, 2013
    When I first played, I would've rated this game a 4 because it was extremely hard, the checkpoints are ridiculous and the upgrade system is confusing. But it was extremely addicting. There are some "certain missions" (not going to spoil it) that really punish you for not having skill. However, after playing for a week, I finally got the hang of it. I don't want to brag, but I can proudly say I have unlocked all the upgrades and medals. The checkpoints don't seem to bother me much anymore.

So for a casual gamer, this game is extremely difficult and confusing. But if you have the time (in my case, I no-lifed the game), in the long run, you'll enjoy it a lot.

Plus, the setting is gorgeous. Unlike most space games, the background isn't just simply black, stars, the sun, and the occasional planet. No, it is vivid beauty asteroid fields, nebulas, asteroid fields in nebulas, exotic planets, destroyed planets, etc., and the backdrop isn't black. Sometimes it's a neon dark blue, orange, silvery-blue,sometimes with space clouds that glow. Plus, the background is one enormous gif. The developers seem to put stories in the backgrounds. But I'm not going to spoil that for you, you have to see it yourself to find out.

For those complaining about the brightness, sensitivity, and controls, may I suggest simply going to the menu and changing the settings and keybinds to your preference?

If I'm not mistaken, this game was developed here in the U.S.? Well I bet it's making the Japanese jealous.
  19. Jul 14, 2013
    DON'T LISTEN TO THE CRITICS! THAT ARE SO FULL OF ****
    LISTEN UP, THIS IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SEXY GRAPHICS OF SPACE, WITH InTenSE!!! AND I MEAN INTENSEEEEE ACTION SHOOTING LIKE A MOTHER FOR 6 HOURS STRAIGHT TRYING TO BEAT IT, YOUR MONEY IS ALREADY WELL WORTH IT. EVEN A HAPPY MEAL CAN'T EVEN MATCH UP TO WHAT YOU GET!
  20. Jul 19, 2013
    I love this game, Is a best space combat simulator in years. The first missions not reflect the game's Vertigo and fast attacks. Search and destroy options. If you buy the DLC "raptor".
    if you buy "raptor" see new opportunities to destroy your enemies.
       Strike Suit infinity (expansion) is the best of this game.
    Enjoy and don´t listen the bads critics, and test for yourself this game
  21. Mar 10, 2014
    I held off buying Strike Suit Zero for a long time because I figured there was no way it would be as cool as it looks. Seeing it on sale at Steam was the final nudge I needed to pull the trigger and I can now say it is actually cooler than it looks. I’m sorry I waited so long to pick up this title.

SSZ will appeal to anyone who was a fan of games like Rogue Squadron or Colony Wars on
    the PS One. It’s not quite up to level of depth that X-Wing or Wing Commander had since this is more arcade shooter than simulation. If you liked those games, though, I’d still recommend SSZ since the whole space dogfighting genre seems dead and you won’t find better nowadays. SSZ has fluid and intense gameplay with great graphics & music. Voice acting is spotty but not bad.

The controls may take a little getting used to but once you master them you’ll feel like a boss in the titular Strike Suit. Spamming your swam missiles has a very Robotech/Macross feel and never gets old. I played this with a Xbox 360 controller for PC and found the controls very tight & responsive. No idea what happened to some other reviewers who say the controls are clunky. They may be trying to play with keyboard & mouse but I learned long ago rule #1 of space shooter games is to bring a joystick or gamepad.

The missions have a nice variety and are thrilling to play through. The narrative is pretty solid, too, and keeps you interested in moving along. You get scored on each sortie and can also unlock a particular upgrade if certain optional goals are met. Once you beat a mission, you can replay it using any new fighter craft or weapons you’ve unlocked. Some people complain the missions get repetitive and are impossibly hard. I didn’t find them repetitive and they may be too hard if you don’t get any ship upgrades. I’ll admit I went back & switched the difficulty to easy mode to pick up a few, which is an option for anyone who thinks it’s too hard.

Best of all, there are checkpoints inserted into the sometimes lengthy missions. This is a welcome feature since you don’t have to keep replaying the same thirty minutes of a mission over & over again when only the last five minutes are giving you trouble. Checkpoints are frequently placed right at those optional parts required to unlock upgrades which again is very nice since, if you miss the optional goal, you do not have to start the entire mission again from the beginning.

SSZ isn’t a perfect game but some reviewers are going overboard on their criticism of it. This space & sci-fi combat genre is one I miss a lot and I’ve had a blast playing this game. If you are a fan of any of the titles I mentioned above, you should definitely pick it up. It feels like a blast from the past & a new experience at the same time.
  22. Sep 25, 2013
    If X-Wing and Freelancer would have a son, and Macross and Homeworld became a godparents, it would be Strike Suit Zero. A piece of pure awesomness arcade space action in a real 3D environment with incredible music and intuitive K+M controls.
  23. Jun 6, 2013
    I'm not sure what people were expecting with this game, but a lot of reviews seem to be missing the point. Strike Suit Zero is primarily an action game. In fact I'd go as far as to say the gameplay is effectively what you'd get if an indie team were to make a Devil May Cry game where Dante is replaced with a spaceship. Kill as much as you can, as fast as you can. That is essentially the goal of every mission, leading to a very arcadey feeling experience. This is in no way a realistic space game, arguably having more in common with side scrolling shoot 'em ups than slower paced games in the space genre such as the X-Wing or Wing Commander series.

If you are in the mood for some fast paced gameplay and feel like giving Strike Suit Zero a try, you'll be treated to a decently challenging game with excellent visuals and soundtrack. Graphically the game looks excellent whilst it is being played with the action never affecting the performance. The only slight issue I could complain about is that models and textures do look rather low-res when you stop and stare at them. Fortunately you'll rarely get to do this as the action keeps coming, leaving you to admire the execution of the design rather than the technical aspects of the texturing. Something that is particularly worth mentioning is the ship designs by Junji Okubo, an artist with an increasingly impressive résumé, boasting a career of experience working on both anime and video games with a strong base in the mecha genre. The soundtrack is also above par for what I'd expect, particularly from an indie production. This certainly left my eyes and ears sufficiently entertained by the setting, creating an unusually immersive experience for what most people would shrug off as a mindless action game. The plot leaves a little to be desired but is clearly not the main focus of the game. Frankly there isn't much plot, but what little there is kept me interested enough to want to see what happens next.

However... This is where the main negative comes in. The game is extremely repetitive. Remember Those great visuals and soundtrack I just mentioned? Well you'd better get used to them. By the fourth mission (out of 12) you'll have already seen or heard most of it. This would be a problem if SSZ were a higher budget game created by a larger team, but under the circumstances I think the repetitive nature of this game is something that should be forgiven. Born Ready Games only have one game under their belt, this one, and a relatively small team which has been funded largely through kickstarter.

One major negative that I found was that the beginning missions were paced rather poorly for my tastes. Despite the name of the game you only obtain the strike suit after completing a few missions, effectively leaving out several important game mechanics for a significant chunk of a first time playthrough. This is fixed when you replay missions, being able to select and fighter available to you but I still found that it made the first 3-4 missions a bit of a chore. I found my enjoyment to increase exponentially after obtaining the strike suit and getting used to the devil-trigger like power up system having access to the suit provides. In fact a lot of the replayability comes from returning to missions to try and up the rank you received, with your average ranking across all missions even having a small effect on the ending of the game.

Another low point for other people has been the difficulty level, with other people citing bad A.I and frustrating escort missions. I can see how this might be a problem, but I never suffered from it.. Generally I breezed through the missions on the first pass without even using the checkpoint system, however this is very much from the perspective of a core gamer. Despite the fact I had no problems with it, if you were thinking about purchasing SSZ the issues with the "frustrating" difficulty could be something to bear in mind if that is a deal breaker for you personally.

Overall I'd say Strike Suit Zero is easily worth a look if you are interested in a simple space shooter game with a ridiculous amount of action but not much else. If you are unsure or put off by the issues other reviewers have mentioned then it might be best waiting for it to go on sale, making a fairly cheap game even cheaper still. I can only give this game an 8 based mainly upon the technical aspects, which despite being generally excellent tend to be very repetitive. However if I were to rate the game based on the amount of fun that I had while playing it, I'd bump it up to a 9. For the 6-8 hours it took me to complete the main campaign with scores to my satisfaction I can't say I was bored or frustrated more than a couple of times, something that in my experience has happened much more frequently in most games (including many AAA releases).
  24. Feb 10, 2013
    The most fun I have had in a Space Combat Sim since Project Silpheed, an often overlooked game for the 360. It needs a bit of polish and there are some serious difficulty spikes, but once you get a feel for it there is a ton of fun to be had. For $20 you really cannot go wrong and I hope that going forward they can tune this solid 8.0 into a 10.0
  25. Jan 23, 2013
    Really good fun - pretty standard space shooter but its been a while since one came around I actually enjoyed! A little light on the story and pretty simple if nice graphics and sound - but hey, its cheap and its fun!
  26. Jan 24, 2013
    Considering it is an indie game, it's a pretty well done space fighter sim. The thing that impressed me most was the graphics - not just the fx, but they actually implemented support for nVidia surround properly. A lot of games these days allow for the resolution and the GUI is usually broken, but this game has an option to constrain hud/gui to the center monitor. It supports using an xbox controller, and it's highly recommended to do so.

Targetting and weapons loadout is a bit over-simplistic, and the missions are pretty much only destroy and intercept variety. It has great potential for improvement with dlc.
  27. Jan 26, 2013
    Strike Suite Zero is the game i've been waiting for! As a avid space simulator fan this have come as a great surprise since i discovered it on kickstarter. The game has a deep atmospheric value and you got to give kudos to the production crew on bringing us such great graphics, sound and fx! The game puts you as a new pilot that somehow will have a major role on a big galactic war, thanks to the awesome strike suite that you can control in some game missions. Oh that ship is awesome, a type of tranformer that can morph into a mech type mode and deliver great destruction at a short period of time. Also the game is quite challengin, but if you get the hang of ship controls mechanic it will be hours of challenging dogfights that this type of game really needs! Awesome game, Awesome graphics and values! Hope we will get lots of product feedback on this game! Thanks for reading! Expand
  28. Jul 30, 2013
    Strike Suit Zero is a space sim which hearkens back to the good old days of Tie Fighter vs X-Wing and (for me, at least) Freespace 1 and 2. The game's graphics are incredible. Fighters flit about with glowing contrails, lasers light up the sky, and massive capital ships fill your entire screen. The soundtrack is also excellent. It's extremely reminiscent of Relic's Homeworld games (by design, I'm sure). The overall effect is very immersive.

On the down side, the difficulty is very uneven. Some segments (especially escort missions) are almost impossible, while others are a cakewalk. Also, the flight mechanics feel a little loose. You'll spend much of the game with your thrusters on full reverse, trying like hell to remain stationary so you can shoot straight. At least so far, I've found enemy fighters aren't much of a threat to me. There's less need to dodge and weave than in some other space sims. Honestly, I've died more due to collisions than to enemy fire. The collisions are a killer, especially when you find yourself transitioning from strike to fighter modes. This can rocket you into obstacles with little warning.

All in all, I definitely recommend you pick up a copy. It's not an overly long game, and it's a great trip down memory lane for all the space sim veterans out there.
  29. AH1
    Dec 14, 2013
    While certainly not the best game I've ever played, Strike Suit Zero nevertheless scratches a space combat shooter itch that I've had since playing Tachyon: The Fringe back in the early 2000s. Indeed, SSZ seems to borrow many elements from Tachyon, including most of the mechanics, feel, and weapons. The graphics in the game are a bit underwhelming, looking more like a game from the late 00s, rather than the 2010s. Still, for an independent title that was funded through Kickstarter, SSZ is definitely worth your time. The main draw of the game--the mech transformation--is actually the least fun, in my opinion. I greatly prefer the starfighter mode to the mech mode. But, if you are looking for a no-frills space shooter that calls to mind the golden age of the genre, then this game is certainly worth that money, especially if you can get it on sale. Expand
  30. Dec 14, 2013
    I bought this game for around £4 on the Steam sale and, wow, it's great for the price, with great graphics and sound, especially considering it is an indie title.

I feel like I want to defend the game against all of the critical reviews. Wing Commander, X-wing, Tie-Fighter, Freespace, were all big studio titles. This is not a big studio title and people really should not expect it to
    have the same scope. It has clear goals which are obviously limited by budget, and it executes them well. People cannot demand more from an indie title.

The game is difficult. However, it requires multitasking and each time you fail you get better at the game, and you can revisit each mission to improve upon your score. There are also further ships to unlock.

The game is fast, loads of fun and well worth the price.

1. Apr 16, 2014
    In conclusion, as a small downloadable title there is much to like about Strike Suit Zero; its story is interesting if awkwardly told, and its gameplay is finely-tuned and worth revisiting.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    I’m under the impression that Strike Suit Zero’s developers paid attention to aspects of the game that, although important, like graphics, music, presentation, were not the truly essential ones- thus leaving important elements, like gameplay, A.I and action, to chance. [March 2013]
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    If you want to spend a night out with FreeSpace 2 in a slinky red dress, this is your game. Just don't expect thrilling dinner conversation. [March 2013, p.84]