Stronghold 3 PC

3.0

1. Nov 19, 2011
    All the bugs have been fixed, the one problem I have is that they made the wall building more like age of empires (the best part of stronghold was making a customizable castle) the maps are kind of tiny, but in most cases that does not matter because you dont need a huge map to do the mission. They tried somthing new with the drawn art work cinematics, respsect them for that. StrongholdAll the bugs have been fixed, the one problem I have is that they made the wall building more like age of empires (the best part of stronghold was making a customizable castle) the maps are kind of tiny, but in most cases that does not matter because you dont need a huge map to do the mission. They tried somthing new with the drawn art work cinematics, respsect them for that. Stronghold has always been a non noob friendly economic castle builder, most the people downrating this game are a console generation that want fast action in everything they play, stronghold will not be a direct hit instant love for most players, but for a small amount of us you will be reminded of the old stronghold (all the bugs got fixed, if they just had better walls this would be at least an 8) But sadly, it is no measure to stronghold 1, but you COULD say that if you just want to play stronghold 1, then play stronghold 1 right? wrong, it took on an age of empires resemblance which is not what its supposed to be, kingdoms took on a starcraft like stance (which is not what it is) stronghold has always been unique and should not try to blend itself with other genre's Expand
  2. Feb 26, 2012
    Game originally was not all that good. unbalanced food system, wall bugs, and a ai that kick your ass. this is no longer the case though i say you should check this game out now with the last three updates they have fixed many of the bugs and glitches that made this game bad. strongholds allways done this and any good stronghold fan knows this.
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    The Stronghold series has a deep hole in my heart. I have always loved the series. Stronghold 1, Crusader are far the best, SH2 was buggy and ugly too, but still a new fun way to play. Now, Stronghold 3 tries to be original, from its former releases. It failed. Stronghold 3 fell in the same trap as Command and Conquer 4. A big failure. The game is too slow. Multiplayer fails. And noThe Stronghold series has a deep hole in my heart. I have always loved the series. Stronghold 1, Crusader are far the best, SH2 was buggy and ugly too, but still a new fun way to play. Now, Stronghold 3 tries to be original, from its former releases. It failed. Stronghold 3 fell in the same trap as Command and Conquer 4. A big failure. The game is too slow. Multiplayer fails. And no Skirmish or Trail. This was the most important factors in the earlier games, why throw them out? And granary and taxes interfaces, is now narrowed down to an action bar. The MUSIC! ooh the music does not fit the Stronghold series at all. So unorthodox, and wrong. It's not Stronghold anymore, and it has not been succeeding. Still, i give it a 5, because it still has the old Stronghold peasant voices. GG Expand
  4. Feb 26, 2012
    Well first of all! I like this game! I just buyed it and played true the campaign and 1-2 online matches and loved it! Itâ
  5. Apr 2, 2012
    I've been playing stronghold for over ten years now, and Stronghold 3 is still not as good as the first. That said, it improves a lot on stronghold 2 and as the game continues to get patched and updated it improves. For anyone who, upon reading older reviews, decided not to get this game perhaps you may consider it again. They've improved it a lot, I actually enjoy playing the game now.I've been playing stronghold for over ten years now, and Stronghold 3 is still not as good as the first. That said, it improves a lot on stronghold 2 and as the game continues to get patched and updated it improves. For anyone who, upon reading older reviews, decided not to get this game perhaps you may consider it again. They've improved it a lot, I actually enjoy playing the game now. Sure there's no skirmish mode, but they have random events in free build (controllable random events at that) and they have a good campaign to play. If you let yourself get into the game it's really quite nice, the sound and graphics pull you into the castle mood. I played this game for the first time in months this past weekend and it sucked me in for hours. I was quite pleased with the work Firefly has done to improve it. Expand
  6. Jul 15, 2012
    Alright, the game is fun, and it has all the right mechanics. But it's broken beyond belief. The graphics are glitchy, the animations are retarded and then enemy attacking is just as bad.'

I had a group of spearman spawn behind me while I was attacking their lord. What the hell.
  7. Oct 26, 2011
    Such a disappointment, so much potential wasted :( Weak graphics, full of bugs, boring campaign, tiny maps and a generally very unfinished feel to it. Basic mechanics are of course very similar to stronghold 1 and 2 and that's about the only thing done right.
  8. Jan 24, 2012
    I have really only made an account to comment on this game (which in my opinion is quite important because of its implications for firefly). My first comment is where on earth is skirmish mode and kingship my two favourite things about stronghold two. My second commnt is on the quality of the campaign, at heart the campaign has the right ideas but it hasnt worked on the little things I hadI have really only made an account to comment on this game (which in my opinion is quite important because of its implications for firefly). My first comment is where on earth is skirmish mode and kingship my two favourite things about stronghold two. My second commnt is on the quality of the campaign, at heart the campaign has the right ideas but it hasnt worked on the little things I had expected would come out of games at this era like sketches instead of videos in my opinion is ridiculous and some of the glitches really annoy me because they come out of nowhere but however apart from a few small mistakes the campaign isnt that flawed. The multiplayer on the other hand sums up all my problems with the game it is slow ineffective and practically impossible to use WITH TINY MAPS FULL OF GLITCHES. I mentioned at the start the implications for firefly what Iam saying here is the failure of some aspects of the game could bring an end to the stronghold series which in my opinion would be disastorous as i have stronghold 2 i bloody well love it so in short firefly NEED TO FIX THIS GAME. Expand
  9. Jul 18, 2012
    I don't know why this game has netted such bad ratings. Yeah, they scrapped skirmish mode (which consequently scraps kingmaker). No one would argue that that was a good decision. However, if you take this game for what it does well, i.e. it's single player campaigns, then for Stronghold vets like myself, this game has many improvements over its predecessors. Ignore Firefly's attempt atI don't know why this game has netted such bad ratings. Yeah, they scrapped skirmish mode (which consequently scraps kingmaker). No one would argue that that was a good decision. However, if you take this game for what it does well, i.e. it's single player campaigns, then for Stronghold vets like myself, this game has many improvements over its predecessors. Ignore Firefly's attempt at a multiplayer, and just stick to the single player campaign. Don't pay the $40 asking price though - wait til it goes on sale on Steam. Expand
  10. Aug 16, 2016
    It`s not a bad game is`t just a littel different then the most of the strongholds to me it reminds me of the first Stronghold and dat is a good thing but it`s also a disappointment but all in all it´s a okay game.
  11. May 23, 2012
    "People are coming to your castle," the scribe would say now that Firefly has released patch v1.10. There have been alot of positive reviews with this patch. Its been a successful comeback and it is quite relieving for those who couldn't play the game in the beginning due to those ghastly bugs. Though there are some superflous reviews of the same comments stating that the game is too"People are coming to your castle," the scribe would say now that Firefly has released patch v1.10. There have been alot of positive reviews with this patch. Its been a successful comeback and it is quite relieving for those who couldn't play the game in the beginning due to those ghastly bugs. Though there are some superflous reviews of the same comments stating that the game is too pallid without a kingmaker, this won't bother the true Stronghold fan because with this latest patch, the game won't feel like a beta version. It is now stable and playable with it's full performance.

ECONOMIC

The economic campaign might prove very difficult to those who are new to the series. Collect 600 bread, 6000 Honor with very limited space, you can hear the wolves howling nearby and your armory is empty. What to do now??!
    Some aspects of the Economic can appear simple and dull when in fact it is very difficult. Building placement can be daft since the borders take ample space for a small building. Especially since House size is still dependant on the distance to your keep. The Economic region of the game has an incredible plot but...repetitive gameplay. If you enjoy collecting the same resources every mission this might be for you. There is minimal combat with a few wolves and bandits in every other mission but it is still fun to play. There are new useful features in this particular patch that includes Auto-sell. Lets not forget to mention that you don't need to spend wood in the beginning just to place a market at the start to save yourself from any economic troubles. Market is no longer needed so place a wood shop or two and some farms and start your game!
    There have been alot of praises in the forums that things in the game run smoother now that peasants walk faster and produce more food! One of the things you'll notice among your first mission with this patch is as soon as you place a wood shop, the peasants are not walking like turtles anymore. They're so much faster that you no longer have to put those extra 10 farms just to speed things up when you only need about 5. Noticable and helpful tweaks from the patch are how fast bread production is. I nearly had to place 10 bakeries just to speed up the process. Well FEAR NOT!! This problem has been resolved along with Honor meter out of sync.

COMBAT:

I was just simply fascinated when I completed the story 10 years later. Firefly managed to keep the story true and even the release date of the game similar to the original. If you havn't played Stronghold 1 I advise you to stop reading and play Stronghold 1 first before you step into Stronghold 3. You'll just be blank and thoughtless not knowing what happened when the past is mentioned.
    The combat missions are fresh each one after another. There will always be new tasks and stronger foes in every mission. Night time seiges are rare. There will only be about 3 of them. If you enjoy night time seiges as much as I do you can try out the freebuild! Stronghold 3 players might notice that there will be alot left in their stockpile since the peasants are faster. Every mission I play I always have weapons left that I never got to use and more resources than what I need. Sell it all with Auto-trade!
    I would always have to put about 6-8 weapon production buildings when now all you need is 2-4 (depending how far weapon production buildings are to your stockpile and how far the armory is.) It is good to see some extra materials every now and then...and a little extra gold. Unlike stronghold 2 that you can pretty much build an army without a church or entertainment, its partially mandatory in Stronghold 3. There won't be one building you havn't used after you finish the game. You need almost everything at your disposal to survive 30-60 minute waves of armies.
    Knights are coming to your walls and you don't have pitch. You need peasants but there's 10 more seconds for another to spawn. Its time to lower your taxes and boost church services in order to balance out your peasant spawn time. Spawn time might not be a problem in the economic campaign since you have church, entertainment and decorations. Its a differen't story in military campaign. There will be buildings to help but it might be more demanding if you place military buildings since you see platoons of men-at-arms on the mountains marching to your walls.
    If the offputting reviews are deterring you from purchasing another Stronghold game well you can pretty much ignore them. Those reviews are outdated. The same people who bashed the game are the same people now praising the game with this new patch. They're now playing the campaigns and whispering to one another what happens in the story. I conclude this review with a recommendation of the game and to say its worth a try.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 20, 2012
    Failure of the year – first two games don't deserve such a disappointing sequel as Stronghold 3 did. Few pros cannot hide a pile of bugs and bad design decisions. [Dec 2011]
  2. PC Games (Russia)
    Dec 24, 2011
    A traditional strategy with many elements which are too old. Fans of the series may like it still. [January 2012, p.72]
  3. Dec 16, 2011
    Stronghold 3 is boring beyond redemption. The blurb on the retail box should have been written along the lines of "We've run out of ideas, our artists forgot how to draw, and our programmers can't produce stable code anymore, but hey, a long, long time ago we made one really great game!"