Super Hexagon PC

8.4

1. Nov 30, 2012
    Since I bought the game two days ago, I've played for almost 4 hours. Each game must have averaged at 10-20 seconds. That means I've played hundreds of games of this in two days. The only variety is that the obstacles vary. There are three different modes with a chiptune for each. According to Steam achievemts, only 1.7 percent have beaten the hardest mode. Once you beat a mode, you unlockSince I bought the game two days ago, I've played for almost 4 hours. Each game must have averaged at 10-20 seconds. That means I've played hundreds of games of this in two days. The only variety is that the obstacles vary. There are three different modes with a chiptune for each. According to Steam achievemts, only 1.7 percent have beaten the hardest mode. Once you beat a mode, you unlock a 'hyper' version. The main difference, apart from different colours, being that it's faster, I think. I can't really tell the difference to be honest. There's a Top 100 highscore table for each level, but the global highscores are almost untouchable. The 'friend highscores' table has more potential, as your Steam friends are likely to be more moderate players of this game. The controls aren't perfect, and randomly generated levels can suddenly present an impossible difficulty spike. Often it's a about luck, and that is unfair in a game where everything is boiled down to 'skill gaming'. Expand
  2. Mar 16, 2013
    This game's description tells you a whole lot of nothing, so let me fix that. Super Hexagon is an arcade-style action game where you need to guide a little triangle (the one right outside the center hex if you look at the pictures) to avoid the incoming hexagon fragments. This game is frantic and it's difficult. You'll need perfect speed and precision to make it even part way through theThis game's description tells you a whole lot of nothing, so let me fix that. Super Hexagon is an arcade-style action game where you need to guide a little triangle (the one right outside the center hex if you look at the pictures) to avoid the incoming hexagon fragments. This game is frantic and it's difficult. You'll need perfect speed and precision to make it even part way through the first level. You will lose many, many times before you succeed, but you're instantly thrown back in the action.

As you play, the hexagons start coming at you in new, interesting patterns that will throw you off. You'll bob and weave, and then suddenly the hexagon becomes a pentagon and your careful plans need to change in a split second. The pace is really intense.

The graphics are basic but neat. The music is great; it's high-quality chiptune music, but that should be no surprise from the developer of VVVVVV. It's an interesting game that's done very well, but it's just not for me. If you're looking for a unique, challenging game, you can do a lot worse than Super Hexagon, especially for the price. This game is cheap enough that there's really no need to wait for a sale if you're interested.
  3. Dec 2, 2012
    Probably the hardest yet the simplest game I've ever played. Also quite addictive once you get into it. From the first game I've been thinking about how the controls could have been improved but I couldn't come up with an answer. I guess it's just meant to be the way it is.
  4. Jul 25, 2013
    Super Hexagon is a really hard music game, where you have to dodge the figures. The gameplay goes from fast to fast as hell and the music is changed in every difficulty. You will try it again and again and again and again... I just wish, there were more songs, you can play or choose own songs.
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    If you are willing to spend HOURS practicing, this game is worth everything. Otherwise, stay away. After 2 or 3 hours, you may be too frustrated to continue playing or just use it when you are desperately bored. Looking online for tips will help you out. Don't expect to beat the game in an hour or two, even though it could technically take 5 minutes to complete the whole game.
  6. AWG
    Jun 17, 2013
    Should have been named "Ragequit: The Game: The Ragequit". This game has enormous potentials but fails to fulfill its goal because of terrible controls that transform a simple concept in an early impossible-to-beat swearfeast.
  7. Oct 15, 2013
    Super Hexagon.This game is fun, fast paced and addictive. It is a PERFECT boredom breaker, great to play while downloading other games. Some people say this game makes you rage quit, for me it is the complete opposite, if I die, I just have an overwhelming urge to play again, and keep playing, until my eyes are literally burning. The reason this is great whilst waiting for games toSuper Hexagon.This game is fun, fast paced and addictive. It is a PERFECT boredom breaker, great to play while downloading other games. Some people say this game makes you rage quit, for me it is the complete opposite, if I die, I just have an overwhelming urge to play again, and keep playing, until my eyes are literally burning. The reason this is great whilst waiting for games to download and other Things to happen, is because time passes very quickly with this game, you just want to play again and again and again and again... When you stop playing you realize the game you were downloading finished about 3 hours ago. The reason I rate this with a mediocre score is because, it's not really good for a serious sit down and play it game, just when you are waiting for other things. But it is very, very good at it's job. Expand
  8. May 18, 2014
    This game is addictive. You can not stop playing it because you will always want to beat your record. The music is perfectly integrated into the game, and the graphics are good, they'll hypnosis. Minimum difficulty is difficult, which makes a game "for Asian" haha. In short, a game that will make you addicted!
  9. Jun 10, 2014
    Es una experiencia neurológica, básicamente es un manual de cómo generar una ataque epiléptico fotosensitivo. Interesante para la gente que esté interesada en la neurobiología de los videojuegos, pero prohibido para menores de 18, ya que puede provocarles un ataque epiléptico que estuviera latente.
  10. Oct 13, 2014
    Extremely fun, extremely frustrating, extremely competitive, but also extremely limited. Super Hexagon is a nice little game to play every now and then.
    6/10 - Ben Hazelden
  11. May 12, 2015
  12. May 12, 2016
    Simply put, Super Hexagon is a test of reflexes and patience. An inexpensive experience that is equal parts audio and visual. This is an incredibly simple, straight-forward survival game. Don't expect any bells and whistles, what you see is what you get. After playing or watching this game for a minute you'll have seen everything it has to offer.

The concept of Super Hexagon is

The concept of Super Hexagon is simple; you must spin around the center of the screen trying avoid the incoming obstacles. Each obstacle is tied to one of the six alternating sections that split up the screen. Training your eyes to focus on the light and dark sections is key to quickly finding escape routes. It takes a while just to get the feel of moving around. Getting used to the sensitivity of the movement and developing your latency to react to different situations is one the biggest learning curves you have to overcome.

Be warned, this game is incredibly challenging! This is quickly noted as your only difficulty choices range from hard, harder, and hardest. Don't expect to last more than a couple seconds with everything being thrown at you. Over time you'll become more comfortable with the patterns which change every 10 to 15 seconds. However, the procedurally generated levels ensure you can't just memorize particular routes. If dodging obstacles wasn't enough the screen is constantly spinning and on a whim it can change its direction.

Music plays a big role in this game. The fast-paced electronic music fits the mood of this game perfectly. As the hexagon in the center pulses and the sections change colors you feel your adrenaline surge. Every time you fail and restart it feels like nothing has happened and the party is still going full blast. It feels like the music is cheering you on; if your ears can keep up then so should your reflexes. Hearing the announcer every time you enter a new region is a quick refreshing respite from the intensity of the music and gameplay.

For me this game is just to simple and unfulfilling. There really is no feedback loop or incentive to keep playing. Yes, there is some sense of accomplish every time you gain a second or two on your previous best score. However, its not nearly enough to make up for the misery of failing over and over again. The fact that your only reward for doing good is a new high score combined with the incredible training need to master the sensitively of the controls and what little joy was to be had quickly becomes washed out. If all you want is a really good challenge to master you may enjoy this game otherwise don't waster your time on this title.
  13. Apr 5, 2013

Are you kidding me? This is the FIRST level? When I started playing Super Hexagon, trying to save a triangle from walls which are constantly moving in, I could not believe how hard the game is. Now, 14 hours later, I just finished the game.

Prepare to die a thousand times. But still the game did not feel frustrating to me. Just very very challenging in a positive way. This is not just a game. It's a drug. Just look at the colors. It is almost hypnotizing to look at the constantly spinning screen.

Two things I did not like. First, the balance between the levels could be better. Lv1&2 are ok, but Lv3 is incredibly hard. Then Lv4&5 are easy again, but Lv6 is really incredibly hardestest... Second, the global highscore list shows just the Top100. So if you are not in the Top100 (which most likely you won't), you can't see your ranking. That sucks.

Apart from that, it is just a fantastic arcade game. Simple. But simply great.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 13, 2013
    Super Hexagon is not a game you'll play for months on end. It's not a significant step in the evolution of games as an art form. But damn if it isn't astounding that a game this simple can be such a joy to play! As a small-scale time waster it's pretty much perfect. [May 2013]
  2. Dec 27, 2012
    Fast, minimal and fun: Super Hexagon is the new Terry Cavanagh triumph.
  3. Dec 6, 2012
    A frenzied, elegant action game that pulses with great music and demanding thrills, for only £2/$3.