8.3

1. Aug 23, 2014
    I am all about platformers, especially challenging ones. If you hate the feeling of dying over and over again, missing precise jumps by a HAIR and maybe I'll finally get it on my hundredth try SON OF A **** I WAS THIS CLOSE THIS GAME IS STUPID AND UNFAIR ARGH SMASH THE CONTROLLER then you will not like this game. However, if you love the feeling of finally NAILING IT, the overwhelmingI am all about platformers, especially challenging ones. If you hate the feeling of dying over and over again, missing precise jumps by a HAIR and maybe I'll finally get it on my hundredth try SON OF A **** I WAS THIS CLOSE THIS GAME IS STUPID AND UNFAIR ARGH SMASH THE CONTROLLER then you will not like this game. However, if you love the feeling of finally NAILING IT, the overwhelming sense of accomplishment that is the reason we play these games, then there is nothing better than Super Meat Boy. You'll hate it most of the time, but when you love it you will LOVE IT!

The art is very well done. The characters are likable, the environments very interesting and the cut scenes are pretty funny. The music is excellent, if I was the type to listen to game music around this would be on my phone. What takes center stage is the control. Meat Boy is an extension of yourself and will do exactly what you tell him to. I can't rave about this enough. When you're flying through the air you can feel it. When you're sticking to a wall you can feel it. It's a superb achievement by the developer(s). There are also tons of levels, great variety in level design and mechanics, plenty of unlockables (including the unbelievably hard to get protagonist from I Want To Be The Guy, took me hours to get him), plenty of secrets... right now Steam says I have played 56 hours, pretty remarkable for a platformer.

I thought about rating this a 9 for one simple reason - an extremely frustrating bug that would make certain game objects (like walls of buzz saws) move too fast to get some secrets. I think it was a problem with the objects moving based on a fixed frame rate for the xbox that didn't translate correctly to PC. I was able to work around it somehow - it was a while ago and I don't remember what I did - but it was EXTREMELY frustrating. I wouldn't be surprised if this problem was patched by now though.

Read my first paragraph again. If it rings true for you then you already know you need this game.
  2. Jul 21, 2014
    Super Meat Boy is designed around one thing, platforming. It does this supremely well, and everything else in the game is designed to augment and enhance the platforming experience.

As you might imagine, the game play is everything here, and it’s perfectly executed. The controls take time to get used to, but once that happens (10+ hours in) you will be able to understand and exploit levels implicitly. Also, as you might have heard, SMB is HARD, especially on the final world and dark worlds. However it is always fair to you. It never tries to trick you or ambush you, levels never change, and you know that if you die it was your mistimed keystroke/button-mash that did it. The fun comes from trying out new strategies to get through the assault course before you, and the joy you’ll feel from completing a level you’ve been stuck on for the last 45 minutes is unlike many other gaming experiences. This sets it apart from games like "I wanna be the guy" which is an exercise in masochism. Also, once you die, and you will die a lot, the level immediately resets, which cuts down on the boring waiting between level attempts (only the warp zones and glitch zones don’t which is kind of annoying).

The sound design is phenomenal. Seriously, phenomenal. I can't think of many other games that have such a well crafted score, especially for an indie game. It always captures just the right mood for the level you are in: easy, difficult, zany, hectic, epic, cute, apocalyptic, tense, it's all there. It also makes it easier to replay a level for the 50th time since you get to listen to such a great track again. The music style is fast paced and reminiscent of old arcade games, which is a nice nod to its roots.

The story is not really designed to be immersive, like many other A* games out there, but instead provides a very enjoyable backdrop for your platforming, full of quirky humour and irreverence. The lightheartedness of the story perfectly offsets the brutal difficulty of the game, and the humour makes you laugh when you should be throwing your controller across the room. The characters never speak, but the story is conveyed through facial expressions and a narrator, both contributing to an arcade like atmosphere that doesn’t take itself too seriously, making for an awesome game.

The graphics, much like the soundtrack, are not the centre of the game, but make the platforming easier and more enjoyable. The sets are colourful and vibrant, and each world has its own distinctive theme to it. Contrast between platform, player and background is good and crisp, meaning you won’t get confused during your hectic level dashes. The cinematics between worlds are high quality and serve to move the story along.

Even once you beat a level, that’s not it. There’s so much more to do to unlock other interesting characters and achievements. Beat the level timed runs, collect bandages, beat the dark worlds, beat warp zones, beat glitch zones, and for those who’s badassery is measured in MCkN (mega Chuck Norrises) and have already done all that, go on Super Meat Boy world/Teh Internets and try to complete some of the fan made stuff there.

It’s also really nice to see characters appearing from other indie games, included as additional unlockable characters with special abilities that your titular protagonist does not have. This allows you to try out another character if super meat boy can’t get that one bandage you need to collect.

This game should really get a 10, and is the best platformer I’ve ever played. Why only a 9 then? For me at least, it’s the buggiest game I’ve ever played. I play the steam version on Windows Vista, and crashes during loading are commonplace, though thankfully not often during very long and difficult levels. I don’t know if its Steam’s fault, since I’ve had problems with a number of incompletely function Steam versions of games (e.g. Max Payne), but I can only rate my experience, so there it is.

Now, Super Meat Boy is not a broad game. If you don’t like platforming, don’t buy it. If you don’t like a game to test your resolve and challenge you skill to their limits, don’t buy it. It is a tightly formed, focused, perfectly crafted, exceptionally fun platformer and its completion is designed to be a badge of honour letting the internet know how awesome you are.

Buy it. Try it. Get killed. Lots.
  3. Jun 26, 2014
    In my opinion this is one of the two best platform games ever made; the other being Super Mario World. The controls are intuitive and responsive. You die a lot but it never feels unfair. It's a tough game but you always feel a few tweaks, a bit more practise and you'll beat the level. The level design is brilliant and the difficulty curve progressive. You'll look back at levels you thoughtIn my opinion this is one of the two best platform games ever made; the other being Super Mario World. The controls are intuitive and responsive. You die a lot but it never feels unfair. It's a tough game but you always feel a few tweaks, a bit more practise and you'll beat the level. The level design is brilliant and the difficulty curve progressive. You'll look back at levels you thought challenging an hour ago and chuckle at how trivial they now seem. In summary a brilliant game that will give you sweaty hands! Oh .. don't play without a controller. Expand
  4. Jun 22, 2014
    It's an awesome game! One of the best games that I have played!! I really enjoy it and I would definitely recommend it.
    However, let me warn you, it's a difficult game, I looked into my statistics and I have died already 2000 times when I was into 7 hours of play (which include video, loading time, and level control selection)!
  5. May 26, 2014
    My absolute #1 game of all time, the controls are completely fantastic and the way you move is exactly how a 2D platform is supposed to function, and with over 200 levels and an online mode, this game is amazing.
  6. Apr 16, 2014
    Really hardcore platformer with amazing graphics and soundtrack. Handling with controller is fabulous, there was no moment when I was blaming this game for failure and it is important about games like this. Just perfect.
  7. Apr 15, 2014
    И ещё одна супер хардкорная игрушка под название Супер Мясо Пацан уже готова заставить вас заменить две а то и три клавиатуры и натереть вам кровавые мозоли на пальцах! Для гетто тащеров можно произвести замену всего компьютера по желанию :) Игра очень сложная и требует очень много времени дабы её пройти(ну или попробовать пройти). Лично я прошёл только 2 главы из всех(не помню сколькоИ ещё одна супер хардкорная игрушка под название Супер Мясо Пацан уже готова заставить вас заменить две а то и три клавиатуры и натереть вам кровавые мозоли на пальцах! Для гетто тащеров можно произвести замену всего компьютера по желанию :) Игра очень сложная и требует очень много времени дабы её пройти(ну или попробовать пройти). Лично я прошёл только 2 главы из всех(не помню сколько их, 10 или где то так). По этому я ставлю ей 9/10. И помните, если у вас слабая психика и вы не хотите загубить и её - не играйте в Супер Мясного Пацана!!! Expand
  8. Apr 5, 2014
    um dos melhores indies já feitos, simples, uma ótima jogabilidade, perfeito, um dos seus únicos problemas é depois de um tempo ele começa a ficar enjoativo, ainda mais quando você está jogando atravéz de um teclado, dá vontade de quebrar o PC na parede
  9. Feb 27, 2014
    The hate-it-or-love-it-game.

I absolutely love the game. The graphics are somewhat far beyond 1995 but the characters, gameplay, achievs and also the story are freaking fantastic. Try 'I wanna be the guy' in order to check your ambition for this type of game. There is also the flash version of Meat Boy somewhere around in the web. Check your ambition before buying. Can't say it often
    The hate-it-or-love-it-game.

I absolutely love the game.

The graphics are somewhat far beyond 1995 but the characters, gameplay, achievs and also the story are freaking fantastic. Try 'I wanna be the guy' in order to check your ambition for this type of game. There is also the flash version of Meat Boy somewhere around in the web. Check your ambition before buying. Can't say it often enough.

I used x360 controller from the beginning. As the effing thing went dead I had to play with keyboard for some days. Absolutely not playable. So be sure to have som Gamepad.

I hope there will be other good plattformers coming in the future times. Until that I will continue trying to beat some of the finger-crippling hardmode levels that Super Meat Boy offers.

Now get going and kick some Fetus-asses or play some more days in Sims3 or some sort of pony riding game :)
  10. Jan 28, 2014
    Great game with or without a gamepad. So much fun to play and watch others play. Very difficult but very rewarding, not the biggest fan of retro platformers but this one definitely kept me entertained.
  11. Jan 11, 2014
    Very nice by the standarts of indie game. And incredibly hard, like INCREDIBLY, I almost broke my fingers and I'm only in 2nd world lol :)
    9/10 from my point of view. Old 2d-platformer fans wont be disappointed ))
  12. Jan 2, 2014
    This is by far, the most fun I've had with a platforming game in a very long time. And also probably the best platformer from the last five years. Let me just say, I like this more than Mario. There, I said it. It is freaking better than Mario. The controls (while you might not call the arrow keys and spacebar good controls) are so fluid, that I feel like the keyboard is part of my hand.This is by far, the most fun I've had with a platforming game in a very long time. And also probably the best platformer from the last five years. Let me just say, I like this more than Mario. There, I said it. It is freaking better than Mario. The controls (while you might not call the arrow keys and spacebar good controls) are so fluid, that I feel like the keyboard is part of my hand. It's the simple joy of trial-and-error platforming. So, It's like Mario Wii, but three times harder, three times more fun, and none of that "super guide" crap that got you through the levels when you were five. I'll admit it can be a little too frustrating at times, but that just teaches you to get better. And what can be said about the music? It's good. It's really good. It's Super Mario Galaxy good. 8-Bit rock and roll per-freaking-fection good. It just adds to the amazing and frustrating experience of...

SUPER MEAT BOY!!!!
    (And sorry for comparing it to Mario so much. Mario is a natural scale of good platforming, and the only one that absolutely EVERYBODY would recognize.)
  13. Jan 1, 2014
    Perfect, beautiful, amazing, challenging, awesome, funny, probably the best platformer ever made.
    Difficult, but still fun, even when you had to try again 500 times. A must have game!!!!
  14. Nov 25, 2013
    Best platformer i have ever played!! Awesome fluid gameplay & creative levels.. but it is so damn HARD!! remember to use gamepad on pc as the keyboard controls suck....
  15. Nov 18, 2013
    You will die. Thousands and thousands of times. You will rage. You will throw controllers and smash keyboards. And, if you are persistent, you will know the sweet taste of victory.

Super Meat Boy is the pinnacle of platforming. Combining crisp controls with creative and (extremely) challenging levels along with tons of unlockables you'll find Meat Boy scratches the platforming itch.

If you are looking for a good platformer to finish over a weekend, think again. But if you are looking for a true test of your abilities, a test that took me almost two years to 100%, this is the game.
  16. Nov 8, 2013
    This is one of the best platforming games I have ever played. It can be quite frustrating at time, as you must restart each level if you die. Super Meat Boy is the most precise platformers I have played, and is for experienced gamers. The story line is a parody of most Mario games, and this makes it very enjoyable. Each character is very interesting and the cut-scenes are fun to watch.This is one of the best platforming games I have ever played. It can be quite frustrating at time, as you must restart each level if you die. Super Meat Boy is the most precise platformers I have played, and is for experienced gamers. The story line is a parody of most Mario games, and this makes it very enjoyable. Each character is very interesting and the cut-scenes are fun to watch. For the price this game jam packs a ton of contents and is definitely worth the money. Simply amazing. Expand
  17. Nov 5, 2013
    Fun, hilarious, challenging, inspired, and a prime example that a small team of truly driven artists can create something on par (and better in many ways) with what a lot of big name companies with huge teams are capable of. Super Meat Boy will take your hand-eye and your patience to it's limit all while you laugh at the sheer brilliance that is this game. I've honestly never had soFun, hilarious, challenging, inspired, and a prime example that a small team of truly driven artists can create something on par (and better in many ways) with what a lot of big name companies with huge teams are capable of. Super Meat Boy will take your hand-eye and your patience to it's limit all while you laugh at the sheer brilliance that is this game. I've honestly never had so much fun dying over, and over again. Expand
  18. Nov 5, 2013
    I'm not sure if I've ever slammed my keyboard as much as I do when playing this game. This game is frustrating, damn difficult and very unforgiving. I have never died so many times in a game before on a single level. Despite the extreme difficulty though, I loved every minute I spent playing this game. The levels are ingeniously detailed and varied, with many obstacles in your way such asI'm not sure if I've ever slammed my keyboard as much as I do when playing this game. This game is frustrating, damn difficult and very unforgiving. I have never died so many times in a game before on a single level. Despite the extreme difficulty though, I loved every minute I spent playing this game. The levels are ingeniously detailed and varied, with many obstacles in your way such as spinning saws and bottomless pits. The levels are also very short, so when (not if) you die, you will not have to constantly repeat huge segments. The game's music is also incredible and really just makes you want to keep playing even if you've died 50 times already on the level you're trying. This is a really great game that I can't recommend enough. Just make sure you don't break your keyboard out of frustration. Expand
  19. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is good,some people don't like it because it's hard,but that means more happiness for the ones who finished it.
    The story it's simple but amazing
    It follows the path:The girl is kidnapped,you find her,the doctor sends a monster at you and run in a different location,it repeats over and over and the you beat the doctor and go away with the girl. The unlock able characters give
    The story it's simple but amazing
    The unlock able characters give the game diversity and makes it easier but still hard.
    The music in this game is gorgeous,the music you will like and will pump you with adrenaline.
    So this game is very good and it's not old school,because it's a funny and spontaneous game with a lot of references.
    So one of the best platforming games that ever existed.
  20. Oct 1, 2013
    One of the best platformers I have ever played. Great levels with really good difficulty. There are many different characters to unlock that have special abilities. You can also unlock much harder versions of the original stages. While playing this on the PC, a controller is strongly recommended.
  21. Sep 25, 2013
    This game's the reason behind my screen name. It is amazingly difficult and addictive, as any good game should be, so you always have an incentive to play it through to the end. The story line is enticing and I grew to actually care about the characters, just like you would in a film. The ideas behind the construction of the game, levels (Having an initial "Light world" set of levels andThis game's the reason behind my screen name. It is amazingly difficult and addictive, as any good game should be, so you always have an incentive to play it through to the end. The story line is enticing and I grew to actually care about the characters, just like you would in a film. The ideas behind the construction of the game, levels (Having an initial "Light world" set of levels and when you've aced those you unlock the more challenging "Dark World" levels) is great, and the cut scenes are the icing on the cake.

tl;dr it makes mario look like a pile of arse

Probably my favourite game ever.
  22. Sep 24, 2013
    I thought it was impossible to hate a game and love it at the same time. Super Meat Boy proved me wrong. I like how they went back to the old days, when games were actually HARD. SMB contains one of toughest levels I have ever played in a platformer. The feeling of satisfaction you get when you beat a level or get an A+ rating on it is gold. The extra characters in the PC version also addI thought it was impossible to hate a game and love it at the same time. Super Meat Boy proved me wrong. I like how they went back to the old days, when games were actually HARD. SMB contains one of toughest levels I have ever played in a platformer. The feeling of satisfaction you get when you beat a level or get an A+ rating on it is gold. The extra characters in the PC version also add to some fun experimenting while using them in levels. This game is awesome. Period. You must buy it now! 10/10 Expand
  23. Aug 9, 2013
    This game is just phenomenal. It brings classic, tough, platforming with a modern polish. Don't play this game if you're expecting a well written story. Play this if you're expecting one of the greatest platforming adventures of your entire life. It's runs smoothly and the platforming system is just as smooth, it's addicting, the characters are lovable, it has a high replay-ability rateThis game is just phenomenal. It brings classic, tough, platforming with a modern polish. Don't play this game if you're expecting a well written story. Play this if you're expecting one of the greatest platforming adventures of your entire life. It's runs smoothly and the platforming system is just as smooth, it's addicting, the characters are lovable, it has a high replay-ability rate due to the massive amount of extra content included. And, if you purchase on Steam it includes a level editor! This is the ultimate package for any plat-former fan. Expand
  24. Aug 8, 2013
    The hardest game I have ever played. However that's just what separates it from other platformers, its rewarding when you finally beat that tough level and the creative level design make it a masterpiece
  25. Aug 2, 2013
    This game is incredibly fun.

In my opinion, this is really the only measure by which video games should be rated. You might argue the graphics don't match up to a AAA title. You might argue the story is an excuse plot. You might even argue that some of the humour is immature. And you'd be right. But the game is still a masterpiece in my mind. The real genius of the game is the steep
    This game is incredibly fun.

The real genius of the game is the steep learning curve but incredibly precise controls. Although many of the levels are, quite frankly, absurdly difficult, with practice it will become clear how to progress through the level. Muscle memory is king in this game. Meat Boy becomes your avatar in nearly every sense of the word; if you play long enough, it will get to the point where you know exactly how to maneuver Meat Boy through the mazes of buzzsaws, salt, needles, lasers, and any number of other environmental and sentient hazards.

A word to the wise: if you are looking for a game that can be beaten easily and quickly, this game is not for you. If you are looking for one of the greatest platforming games ever, look no further.
  26. Jul 13, 2013
    Truly lives up to its name of being one of the toughest platformers out there. It makes you rage a lot and I found it to be a hell of an experience playing it. There's no better feeling of beating a hard platformer for a gamer like myself. It was very long and can be played for quite some time. It is DEFINITELY worth the price if you like platformers. If you like hard platformers, marryTruly lives up to its name of being one of the toughest platformers out there. It makes you rage a lot and I found it to be a hell of an experience playing it. There's no better feeling of beating a hard platformer for a gamer like myself. It was very long and can be played for quite some time. It is DEFINITELY worth the price if you like platformers. If you like hard platformers, marry Team Meat. (The Developers) Expand
  27. Apr 7, 2013
    I HATE THIS GAME SO MUCH 10/10
    The satisfaction you get after completing a level that you've been putting off for days in the first try is what this games is about.
  28. Mar 27, 2013
    YES YES YES YES YES!

YES YES YES YES YES!

I bought this game for my friend and he hasn't been off it since, this is one of my favourite platformers ever. Even though it says you need an Xbox controller, you don't it is perfectly playable with the keyboard. The port is fantastic, gameplay is amazing and the villain.. Oh my, is one of my favourite ever. The extra retro levels are awesome aswell. If you have time pickup the level creator from steam tools and make some levels!
  29. Mar 24, 2013
    First things first: BUY A 360 CONTROLLER. Seriously. The keyboard controls are crappy. Utter garbage controls. But if you use a controller to play this game, you will have a lot more fun with this masterpiece of a game. 300+ levels, secret characters, so much in this game. Now, I have beaten more levels than all of my Steam friends by at least 50. But doing so resulted in me dying over 10First things first: BUY A 360 CONTROLLER. Seriously. The keyboard controls are crappy. Utter garbage controls. But if you use a controller to play this game, you will have a lot more fun with this masterpiece of a game. 300+ levels, secret characters, so much in this game. Now, I have beaten more levels than all of my Steam friends by at least 50. But doing so resulted in me dying over 10 000 times. THE GAME COUNTS HOW MANY TIMES YOU DIE. If you love old-school platformers, buy this game. Seriously, buy this game. Oh, I didn't leave, I'm waiting. Expand
  30. Feb 17, 2013
    I'm laughing at the negative reviews of this game, no real criticism other than general butthurt. A quality controller is a absolutely required, if you can beat this game with a keyboard you're not human. If you were a SMB speedrunner you will love this game. This could potentially frustrate today's modern gamer's who have little experience with face paced platformers. It can beI'm laughing at the negative reviews of this game, no real criticism other than general butthurt. A quality controller is a absolutely required, if you can beat this game with a keyboard you're not human. If you were a SMB speedrunner you will love this game. This could potentially frustrate today's modern gamer's who have little experience with face paced platformers. It can be very challenging but it's doable. The mechanics are flawless and the music/style is excellent. Expand

Indie gaming at its retro-loving best, with some of the most cunningly-designed and purposefully infuriating 2D gameplay of the year.
  2. Jun 1, 2011
    Blood, action, romance. Super Meat Boy Ultra Edition has got it all.
  3. May 3, 2011
    Oldschool-Jump and Run at its finest!