3.6

1. May 26, 2012
    They did terrible changes. It is like Moba with tower defense. Sound good right? It's just that the implementation is bad. The pace is slow, the weapons are slow. The game just drags on and on in this monotous and boring pace. It is free to play so you might check it out. But beware of people that don't know how to play. What's even worse there is "no drop in drop out". If someone quits the game he doesn't get replaced and you'r guaranteed to lose Expand
  2. Oct 3, 2012
    I enjoy SMNC as much as I did MNC and even better this is free. That said my current rating for the game as it stands is: Gameplay 8/10 Functionality 4/10 My Score as the game stands: 6 There is just a lot of bugs to do with logging in, chat, finding a game, creating a team & getting the team in a game which is why I gave a seperate functionality score. if they can fix all that then 8/10 is what it deserves but right now players waste too much time trying to get into matches which means time spent stuffing about is higher than time spent enjoying matches. Expand
  3. Apr 26, 2012
    SMNC feels very similar to the original Monday Night Combat, without many improvements, and with a most of the same problems. In fact, SMNC feels slower and more of a snowball game than the first despite simplifying everything.
  4. May 29, 2012
    It's a completely broken game. Let's ignore the fact that, for something so simple graphics wise, it's such an intensive resource hog, and the fact that matchmaking takes forever, there's also the issue of balance, the lack of pacing, the terrible matchmaking, the inability to replace leavers/rage quitters, and the atrocious matchmaking.
    I've so far played almost 200 games, and not ONCE
    have i played a "good game". This is how EVERY SINGLE match plays out: one team is loaded with terrible players, and the other team has similarly skileld players besides one pro player. The pro player decimates the noobs on the opposing team, thereby reaching a very high level in a short amount of time; this leads to even faster destruction, preventing the opposing team from ever managing to leave their spawn without being destroyed.
    You will ALWAYS be either on the steamrolling team, whose top player's accumulatedearnings are MORE than the opposing team's total earnings put together and multiplied by 5, or you're on the steamrolled team, whose total earnings multiplied by 5 isn't even half of what the winning team's VIP has. I've never had a game which didn't play out like this. Usually, as you're being steamrolled, you'll notice that members of your small 5 man team will begin to leave. There is no replacement for them. You simply have to play with the few remaining players, because the developers opted to not allow players to join games in progress. There's almost no penalty for leaving either: you simply don't get any experience/credits for the match, and "supposedly" have a slightly lower chance of finding a game...as if finding a game wasn't already impossible.

On top of this, i've so far met a large amount of cheating players (mostly speedhackers), since the game lacks any form of cheat protection software. The game also contains a massive amount of bugs, the servers are terrible (there are near-constant leavers/rejoiners simply because the server connections are horrid), and the classes are poorly balanced. Oh, and there are only 3 VERY tiny maps. They recently introduced a 4th map, which is so badly implemented that every player groans whenever it appears.

Here's the single positive aspect of the game: the humour. It's sometimes hilarious, and usually able to bring a smile to your face, as the commentators talk about the stalking antics of one of the characters (Wascot), the disappearance of the old announcer (Mickey Cantor) and the size of a certain giant chicken.

Even the humour isn't enough to save this game. Wait for a good 5 months before you download this monstrosity. Unless of course you have 4 friends, in which case you can form a team of 5 and match up against a Pick Up Group. That's right, the game allows formed teams to compete against random groups. How unbalanced can you get?
  5. Apr 20, 2012
    MNC was released in early 2011 and was advertised as a â
  6. Jun 26, 2012
    The fact there's no server browser in this version makes it completely useless for anyone from AU or any other country bar the royal ones. the game is useless.
  7. Jun 23, 2012
    First off, I played the original MNC, and I liked it even though it had flaws. With that said, this game is a total downgrade and simply because it's an F2P. Let's start from the beginning: as a f2p, you have a limited choice of Pros from time to time (They change the rotations, but not sure how it works), while the others must be unlocked using (MANY) in-game coins that you receive after each fight (from 50 to 150 coins per fight, I believe). Now, the problem here is that many Pros are just too powerful, especially those who are locked: I've won mostly against teams that were based of "Free Pros", and lost countless times to overpowered Gunners and Tanks, mainly because the Free Pros that you get aren't bad, but they can be crushed against massive damage dealer classes. Also, you can upgrade the stats using endorsements and a tri-specced talent set, and while the "talents" are not bad the endorsements can be deadly, if you use the same type more than once. I wouldn't be surprised if many veteran players have high damage endorsements skyrocketing, but even without these some pros are just too powerfull than the Free Pros. All of this was necessary to mention the biggest problem of the game: it has an incredible unbalance. And I mean way too unbalanced, so high that you need so much patience in order to properly enjoy the game, especially when your enemies are veterans that can kill you with ease; it's a common thing when you start a game, but in here the loss is mostly unfair and hardly acceptable. Also I didn't like the matchmaking: you can't invite friends in your party while you do the queue and unless you finish your game, you're forced to join THAT match again, and finish it; add the fact that ragequitters tend to leave soon enough, and this makes the game even more unbalanced (in my first match, I was left alone against the entire enemy team!). However I liked the maps: they aren't many, but cured enough to be appreciated, although they removed a lot of elements from the original MNC in here (you can't make your own turrets in here). And about the graphics...I don't hate it, but it still seems downgraded from the original. And about the store...I like the content inside it (at least they don't sell only "hats", but also outfits and more stuff), but it's too costy and really isn't that much worthy, especially when you have to unlock the Pro you wanna buy the stuff with. In few words, this game would have been better if it was a normal retail game but instead SMNC became one of those f2p where if you pay, you're way above the normal players, or else you need to accept failure and keep trying. Or go play the original game, instead.... Expand
  8. May 3, 2012
    Take Team fortress 2 and DOTA/LOL and throw them in a blender, make some tweaks and you have SMNC in a nutshell.

Third person MOBA or ARTS is what SMNC is. Unlike the original MNC, SMNC has decided to focus on the MOBA aspects of the first game. Towers are now fixed, player kills mean a lot less and good teamwork is what it takes to win.

SMNC isnt MNC, and it seems many expect it to be
    just like the original, a shooter with MOBA aspects tacked of. The reality though is that SMNC is a MOBA with shooter aspects tacked on. It is a game that you will enjoy if you play well with a team that coordinates well, or hate if you try to play like rambo.

Prices of skins and such seem a bit high, but really aren't that bad considering SMNC is F2P and is pay 2 pretty rather than pay2win like some of the newer F2P games on the market.
    Good gameplay balance is definitely more important that cheap skins IMO.

The rules have changed, and if you like MOBA type games and shooters, have a look at SMNC.
    If you are a hardcore FPS player who cannot do anything other than rambo and whine when you can't 360 noscope, don't even bother.
  9. May 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Super Monday Night Combat est un jeu bien sympathique qui mériterait un équilibrage quand à ses différentes classes mais qui se rapproche dans l'ensemble d'un jeu payant plutôt que d'un free-to-play tant dans sa finition que dans son gameplay. Loin d'être parfait, il faut quand même avouer que ce jeu mérite qu'on s'y attarde tellement les possibilités de jeu sont importantes. Il se rapproche grandement d'un jeu comme LoL avec ses différentes améliorations qu'on peut amener aux différents héros. Bref, il y a encore un petit peu de chemin à faire, mais si les développeurs s'en donnent la peine, nous tenons peut-être le prochain Team Fortress. Expand
  10. Apr 23, 2012
    Super MNC is a DotA game. That much needs to be said straight away. But, unlike it's genre brethren like League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth, this game is a third person shooter. It provides a very different take on the genre which makes it different enough to make it worth having a go, even if you don't like LoL or HoN, but is still too inaccessible for someone who hasn't played one before or is expecting a simple Team-based shooter, like Team Fortress 2. In order to learn how to play the game, you have to get stuck into it and be thrown into the deep end because, quite frankly, the guides are absolutely useless. But you need to have an element of resilience about you, as it pains me to say that the community has already taken the oft-criticised hostility of the genre too, which only helps isolate new players even more. The announcers and classes in the game are well characterised (Although not quite as much as in Team Fortress 2, but there are obviously more to characterise in this game) and can genuinely raise a chuckle out of you the first few times that you hear their quips, but there isn't enough variety in the quotes and soon you'll be hearing the phrase repeated again, which can get grating. Also, some classes do feel like they are lacking in punch to their weapons, leaving you wondering if you are actually doing any significant damage to your opponents. Finally, the levels leave a lot to be desired, as they all seem relatively samey, yet they do their job aptly enough to make it seem fair and somewhat varied. In conclusion, if you can get around the initially confusing gameplay mechanics and ignore the constant hostility from your own team mates (even when you aren't a noob, if you make a mistake or are unfortunate, prepare to be chastised), then you might find that Super MNC is a generally fun, albeit somewhat shallow game, worth investing a few rounds in when you want to play something different. Expand
  11. Apr 20, 2012
    Alright. Imagine the original MNC: A nice, casual blend of third person shooting and tower defense mechanics. Now imagine they lowered the amount of damage you do, increased the health of everything, and made turret positioning and upgrading preset. No tower defense for us. So, do you like shooting at predictable, slow moving targets with an endless rain of no damage "bullets"? I'm proud of you. But wait, there are more characters to play as! Too bad you have to unlock them with thousands of in-game coins. How many coins do you get per game? Very little. If that doesn't suit you, just spend real money on the classes (no thanks). Want to customize your favorite character with a skin? $20.00 please. The announcers just aren't as well written, spewing generic loading screen tips instead of clever jokes. Trying this game for yourself may be a smart idea, I might be a minority here. It's "Free", so all you have to waste is your time. Expand
  12. May 3, 2012
    Not MNC2, but actually way better. A perfect DotA shooter hybrid that now takes up all my time. With a wide variety of pros, weekly updates, tons of customization, and unlocks this game is sure to keep you busy as well.
  13. Aug 14, 2014
    SMNC is a mediocre MOBA shooter. It's F2P so if you want to get all the classes you'll have to shell out cash. The longer you play the stronger your character gets so it puts new players at a bigger disadvantage than they should be at. It also comes with a repetitive horde mode. Don't play this.
  14. Jun 22, 2012
    I've been playing SMNC since the Invitational (closed beta) period, and contrary to what people may say, it's quite a good game. Balance is constantly being adjusted based on community feedback and Uber's own data and observations. New content is added weekly, ranging from community-inspired content to things no one has thought of. The game's humor is a spot-on parody of major sportscasting, with a sprinkling of dystopian society. The characters are amusing, the arenas offer something for everyone, and it's generally an enjoyable experience. Matchmaking gets the worst bashing out of anything, but it's in the works. Recently, some changes were made that, in my experience, drastically improved the quality of games.

A few warnings: It's a hybrid of third person shooting and the gametype established by DotA. You can shoot, yes, but only shoot and you're on the road to defeat. Strategic thinking and cooperation are far more important than in other games. This isn't Monday Night Combat 2, either. It takes elements used in the first and revises them. Lastly, don't let anyone tell you it's pay to win in any way, because the only way to get an advantage over your opponents is to play. Over all, give it a shot if you'd like a change of pace, but if you're going to bash it, think things out and make sure you're giving an honest analysis instead of bashing a genre that just doesn't work for you.
  15. Apr 29, 2012
    One of my favorite games now. It's brand new and does need some development time but that is the nature of a new MOBA.

That actual game play is incredibly fun but the learning curve is steep. I highly recommend trying out SMNC for yourself. It is free to play after all.
  16. May 21, 2012
    Just a wonderful tower defense game, with a lot of customization. Great amount of characters and even a way to get them free without the need to spend a lot of many to advance. Really good game, recommended for a pc gamer. It has the greatness of dota in a Third Person Shooter
  17. Apr 23, 2012
    Imagine taking League of Legends and Team Fortress 2, throwing them into a source code blender, and seeing what you'd get. That game is Super Monday Night Combat. Is it fun? Yes. I mean, you're running around defending / attacking robots and towers in FPS mode while "thinking the game" MOBA style, with the added touch of collecting coins like you're Super Mario. The atmosphere, visuals, and combat dynamics are all solid enough. However, do I think that this is a great game that I'll play a lot? Not really. Still, it's free to play, and well worth trying out if this blend of gaming genres appeals to you. Expand
  18. May 1, 2012
    You'll either love it or hate it. If you're one of those people who can spare 8 hours of your day every day to practice playing the game, you'll love it because you will most likely carry your team to victory all the time every time. If you have other responsibilities beyond playing games on a day to day basis you will hate it because, thanks to the broken match making system (Uber Entertainment said they would fix it two weeks ago from the time of that I am writing this review) That pits new and inexperienced players against people who might as well have been playing every hour of every day since the beta against eachother, more often than not you'll spend most of any given match sitting in your base shooting people with a gun that does a laughably impotent amount of damage unless your target is 5 inches in front of your face thanks to some weird damage falloff mechanics on the ranged weapons. The rest of the time will be spent staring at a respawn counter because your team is either unskilled enough to properly back you up, are dead, or have run off to try and solo the enemy base/team. Can you fault a multiplayer game (which at it's core, is mostly balanced) for it's community? Do you like veteran beta tester players calling you a **** and telling you to uninstall the game simply because you were trying to learn how to play the game? If you are a decent player, do you like playing a game where you lose all the time due to constantly being randomly paired with a bunch of uncommunicative incompetent boobs? The answer is yes, yes you can fault the game. The developers should have a system in place to pair experienced players with other players of their skill level, yet there isn't one, and hasn't been one since launch.

Actually, just to save you some time, imagine playing League of Legends except as a third person shooter, on smaller maps, shorter matches, with funny commentators, and a far, FAR worse matchmaking system. Ok, full disclosure? The only thing keeping this game from getting an easy 8 or 9 score is that stupid, horrible, detestable matchmaking system. You'll know what I mean once you lose ten games in a row because you keep getting paired with less skilled players versus a pre-made team.

Until then, this game gets a 5/10 due to the fact that it was advertised as a fun, whimsical MOBA style shooter, not a Respawn Timer Simulator.
  19. Apr 25, 2012
    It's sadly a disappointment for me. I was keeping this Metacritic score open just to review this with a amazing 10 out of 10, but it just couldn't happen. This game is the free-to-play version of Monday Night Combat, a game for Xbox 360 and PC. Or rather, this is the update that was SUPPOSED to be released as an update for the original Monday Night Combat. But I have so many issues with this game. First of all, and also the BIGGEST ISSUE I HAVE WITH THIS GAME: There is no tutorial at ALL for this game, and with the huge amount of changes for this game, I was a little, crazed out. There' s a ton of things I had no idea about, and it took me over 2 hours to realize your 2nd weapon had a grab attack.

The second issue however is a biggy too. The graphics. They are so damn good that I have huge amounts of lag on this game. In fact, so good, my desktop can crash just LAUNCHING the game. And the desktop has a huge screen. Disappointing. Another thing is that this game has terrible matchmaking. It's the worst matchmaking system ever. They should've kept the server list from the original game, the matchmaking system can freeze up and you can't join anybody. I had to wait 5 HOURS to wait for the devs to fix the issue and I could play again. I can't believe this. Just avoid this game at all costs.
  20. May 2, 2012
    A cool game for cool kids. This sequel to Monday Night Combat takes all of the original cast, and expands on that with more than double the classes and a plan to continually release more as time goes on. Compared to the original, SMNC takes a step further into the direction of the MOBA genre. If you're a fan of LoL/HoN/DotA and TF2, you should enjoy this game.
  21. May 3, 2012
    In this game you can destroy robots while playing as Leonardo da Vinci. If your not already exited then I'm starting to think there is something strange about you.
  22. May 3, 2012
    First off, do not get this game if you expect MNC 2. SMNC has little to do with the original game in how it runs as there is significantly more focus on the MOBA/DOTA element. Basic gameplay for all the maps available if that you push your lanes (either left or right) that have bots spawning on them. These bots are used to strip the shield off turrets (allowing you to damage them), and for knocking down the moneyball (so you can damage it). These bots spawn at fixed intervals or you can pay to spawn in some right away. The game also tweaks the annihilator, a button in the middle of the map that can be activated every 5 minutes to destroy all of the enemy bots on the map (obviously giving your team significantly greater pushing power).

There are no tutorials yet, though they are in the making. And at the moment the game's matchmaking system is a little rough at times. Overall though the game is not overly difficult to get into, as there are plenty of the veteran beta players who are willing to help if a newbie actually attempts to learn.

The game is free to play, and it does not allow you to buy power. With the in game currency you can buy pro's (player characters), endorsements (passive stat changes), and products (passive abilities). You get roughly 100 CC (combat credits) for a win, and the most expensive champs are 9000 though most are cheaper. You can also pay actual money for pro's, outfits, taunts, or weapon skins. Pro's are priced based on their difficulty, allowing new players to pick up the easier to understand characters faster while reserving the more complex champs for later down the line.

And intersting take on the Free to Play formula is that every game you play you have a chance to win anything that can be bought (aside from the Pro's). You will get one prize generally every three games or so, though you do not get a prize if you leave a match. Giving players incentives for sticking through matches, and giving new players a chance to get some high tier endorsements before they can afford them.
  23. May 3, 2012
    SMNC is a fun blend of a MOBA and Third Person Shooter. Two five-man teams face off in a futuristic battlefield, vying for each other's Money Ball (a giant orb held within each team's base). The goal is to stay alive, while defeating other Pros (the enemy team players) and destroying the enemy's bots as they march toward your base.
    Each character has a unique set of abilities and skills
    and fall within five class categories (sharpshooter, commando, striker, enforcer, defender). Uber Entertainment promises that more characters will be added as time goes on. About six characters are free at any given time and they are rotated about once a week. If a player really likes a particular one, he may purchase the character with in game "combat coins", which are earned at the end of each match or real money, via Steam Wallet.
    This game is highly team oriented and very enjoyable when a team is working together. Even when selecting a character (Pro), the player must consider whether this Pro will mesh well with the other Pros on her team. In game, you must work well with your team to destroy your enemy. This game was not made for playing alone. Being alone or trying to take out a group of enemies solo will most likely end in death. To some new players, this game gives the appearance of a Death Match, but it is not.
    The game is fun. The character/announcer dialogue is funny and entertaining. Matches can get really exciting, whether the enemy team is pushing into your base and you're rushing to defend it or if you are pushing into the enemy's base, with the Money Ball in your sights. There are still a few problems with the game. New players seem to have trouble figuring out what to do and how to play. Uber Entertainment has promised a tutorial in the future. Also matchmaking has been recently implemented, but still places experienced players with new players. From my own experience, matchmaking has been slowly improving, matching me against more experienced players, but every now and then I still get set against a team of brand new players.
    The game is still young now, but Uber Entertainment has mentioned creating new game modes, along with adding new Pros and maps. I enjoy this aspect of expansion, allowing the game to maintain a new feeling, instead of just remaining stagnant. Overall, SMNC is a fun, hilarious, entertaining blend of a MOBA and Third Person Shooter. The game still has a few issues, but it seems like those issues are being addressed or worked on and should be remedied in the future.
  24. May 3, 2012
    Takes some fun ideas and puts them into a fun game full of action. Still has a few things that need to be ironed out. Everyone is complaining about matchmaking but do you remember LoL when you first played? Those first 10 levels were filled with smurfs just dominating the game. Everyone should give this game a chance. It is tons of fun.
  25. May 3, 2012
    The game is amazing and goofy in a charming kind of way,Its like a Super Smash Brothers multiplayer DOTA like shooter...its f*cking fun. I give it a 9 now but over time(because these super awesome developers are always adding new content) its going to be a 10+
  26. May 3, 2012
    Super MNC's gameplay gets an 8/10. There are balance issues, mechanics issues (too much of a focus on grappling, for example), and frequent physics issues that detract, but they're not the real problems the game faces. I won't discuss the gameplay much because the it's mostly fine. If you want to try the game, do it - it's free. Please watch a few intro videos on Youtube before jumping in to get an idea of all the mechanics and a general overview of strategy.

The problems that make this game a real disappointment include:
    Queue times. It can take upwards of 20 minutes to find a game in many cases. If you're on the west coast (US), you'll immediately notice that the US West region has almost no players. Why? Everyone queues up at US East because it's the default and they want to avoid long queue times.

If you queue up at US East and you aren't on the east coast (US), you'll be treated to a 120 ms ping minimum, with frequent spiking. This makes the game extremely frustrating. All hit detection is done on the client side - that means if you or your opponent are lagging, you're going to get cases where you grapple someone only for you to be grappled by them. You're going to get shot through walls by sharp shooters. In general, you're going to have a frustrating experience because you can't hit anything and you'll be taking hits from people who, from your perspective, shouldn't be able to hit you.

Maybe you get lucky and you get in a game quickly and you have a decent ping.
    Now you're treated to a grab bag of people in the match. Any number of them will be morons, trolls, or hackers.

Morons: These are people who don't know what they're doing. And when you tell them what to do, they don't do it. This comes with the territory of free-to-play games. But no matter how experienced you are you'll end up matched with them. These people will refuse to go for the annihilator (a device in the center of the map that destroys all enemy bots and damages all enemy pros). These people will pick a healing class and refuse to heal you. These people will feed the enemy team incessantly.

Trolls: Similar to morons, trolls are prevalent. The typical trash talking, feeding, and general harassment and team **** you've seen in other games is on full display here.

Hackers: Yup, this game runs on the Unreal Engine. Hackers are everywhere. And to report a hacker you have to save the demo (which is not easy to do - there's no way to find demos of games you've been in), run a console command, then post on the forums and hope someone looks at it and bans the player. Of course, it's not a VAC ban, or IP ban. They just ban the Steam account from Super MNC - the hacker will be back in minutes.

Everything in the game can be unlocked with coins or xp you earn by playing, but this takes a long time. The fastest way to unlock things is to fork over cold hard cash.
    Cosmetic items are expensive, but that doesn't affect gameplay.

What does affect gameplay are pros, products, and boosts.
    Every week there is a new set of 6 or 7 pros that are free. If you are a new player you must choose from these pros. If you have unlocked a pro (with money or coins), you can always choose that pro.
    New players also start off with a default set of products. Experienced players will have better products, and they'll use them to pound your face in. Products grant you passive bonuses and skills. Hot Hands will cause any player you grapple with to be set on fire. Money Magnet will cause all coins on the floor near you to fly to you. If you don't have Money Magnet or All Magnet, you'll have to walk to each coin to pick it up, putting you at a severe cash disadvantage during the match. The default product set is, of course, pretty crappy. So new players will get stomped.

The same goes for endorsements. Endorsements are static boosts to various attributes - movement speed, accuracy, health, etc. You have to buy endorsements with coins, and you have to unlock endorsement slots. New players are at a severe disadvantage yet again. People who played during the beta often have 25 endorsements to a new player's zero.

Uberent should have reset stats, levels, and unlocks for all beta players. The problem of course is that people paid real money for these things so they couldn't do that.

It can be a fun game with rough edges (with regards to menus, balance, mechanics, physics, and performance). But if you're a new player, or you're relying on matchmaking to pair you up with a team, or even if you just live on the wrong side of the country, you will not be able to get to the nugget of fun. You'll trudge though 8 terrible games to get 2 or 3 fun games.

The game could be an 8 if:
    New players weren't at such a severe disadvantage.
    Match making didn't mix new players with experienced players.
    Hackers and griefers weren't around.
    People played on the correct server for their region.
  27. May 3, 2012
    When this game came out it was smoking hot, Now a few weeks in it is packed with aimbotters, and speed hackers worse then APB:Reloaded. Matchmaking is by far the worst i have seen in a game to date.
    Just a tip, If you catch lag on loading screen someone is aimbotting, or speed hacking. Solve the three problems i have listed and you have one hot game.
  28. May 3, 2012
    This game is much more heavily MOBA than MNC, so if you hate MOBAs, you won't like this game. However, for the MOBA fan, this is an incredible game. Funny, full of personality, great mixture of FPS and MOBA, and very fun and addicting. The developers update the game every week, and are very active on the forums as well. It's everything you could ask for in an Indie game and more!
  29. May 14, 2012
    SMNC is a great game, it's a great mix of a third person shooter with a MOBA game. It's not MNC 2, and I thank Uber for that, this games requires strategy, which makes it awesome. However, it has its issues, grapples should be calculated in the client instead of the server, if you have a high latency, you're a bit screwed. Prices in the store are a bit high, specially cosmetics. There are a bit of balance issues, like the support heal/hurt gun's slow feature being a bit too much, Megabeth's close range damage/whirlwind being retarded and Sin's diving capabilities.
    However, the fun you can get out of this game compensates for most of this. When you get a good team, it's a real joy to play, being able to surprise your enemies, entertaining them so your teammates can push/get annihilator/defend, it's just too good to be true gameplay-wise.
  30. May 15, 2012
    A fun game that does indeed require a certain amount of skill to play, but it has 1 absolute game-breaking harrowing, destructive flaw - As soon as someone leaves the game, only that player can get back in to fill the slot.
    Fine in theory, but with the amount of rage quitting that tends to happen, your team is often left 1 or 2 men short as long as half the game. This makes it nigh on
    impossible to win. This literally ruins 50% of games. The only penalty to the rage quitter is that he can't join any different games. Again, fine in theory, but when someone rage-quits they tend to close the game down and go and do something else. Contrary to what others say, the respawn time isn't too bad, and the matchmaking system works fine. Expand
  31. Jun 26, 2012
    Fantastically fun game. I came from TF2 and this environment is a hell of a lot more team-oriented than that game while still retaining some great humor. There is interesting ways to customize your Pros (playable characters) using endorsements that give you stat increases permanently (health regen, max health increase, accuracy increase, critical hit chance/damage increase, etc.) and there are also products that affect your character in interesting ways, such as leaving a bomb upon death that does AoE damage to enemies or a product that makes your grappling attacks do fire DoTs. I like how light-hearted the game is and it helps to ease my frustration.

This game honestly is a masterpiece of DotA and Third Person Shooters mixed. Try it and learn how to effectively play it before deciding how much you like it. PvP, as you may already know, isn't always forgiving to newcomers, so try to learn the ropes before rating!
  32. May 19, 2012
    SMNC is an average third-person shooter which honestly is rather difficult, and in-game items are ludicrously expensive. Despite this, it is good fun, most of the time. It can get tedious after prolonged games, but still manages to be a decent game.
  33. Jun 2, 2012
    the game is really cool and addictive. But whoever responsible for marketing and the advertisement should be fire. u know all shooter game , ping matters and in my area (asia server) there are not enough people to make a match. if u live in us east or europe u have have no problem finding matches, i really recommend this game. this game will also need and co-op vs ai, since mosts of the new comer will be meat for old players. there is definitely a need to add this mode for this game to success. Expand
  34. Jun 1, 2012
    Now the game does have minor flaws, I personally never played the original though you don't expect a review based off of that. The big complaint I do have though is the utter garbage matchmaking system. It took me over 20 minutes just to get into one match! But other than that this is an extremely fun shooter. It focuses on the MOBA genre, but that doesn't make it bad.
  35. Aug 17, 2012
    Positive: Team Fortress 2 hats (I think this is the only reason why somebody plays it). Negative: Its very unbalanced. Matchmaking is terrible. No chance to replace leavers. This game have too big updates, its download at least 1,5 GB per week, they say its due to engine, but this is a lie, they just dont know what are they doing. The game is glitchy even with tons of updates. Gameplay is boring and frustrating. Everything is overpriced with the rule euro=dollar. The original Monday Night Combat is way better. Expand
  36. Jun 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has so much potential and one fundamental flaw. The characters are fun, the action is smooth, the commentators and atmosphere add to the grin factor; all trademarks of a high quality game.

Unfortunately, games are tediously one-sided. The world's greatest games will give both teams an opportunity to win, even an underdog team will have some shred of an opportunity. In SMNC, I can call the game within the first five minutes nine times out of ten, even though the game then generally progresses for another 10-25 minutes. Whichever team takes the early lead keeps that lead except in the rarest of instances. Thus, the fun part of most games maxes out at 33% of in game-time and is perhaps as little 15%. The remaining time is simply mopping up. Whichever side you are on, winning or losing, mopping up becomes tedious and boring.

By contrast, take the worlds great sports, for example: soccer, football, baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, etc. How often can you predict the outcome of a football game after one quarter of play? Baseball: 3 innings? Golf: 5 holes? You can't (or if you can you need to be working Vegas.)

The game boils down to 2 "lanes". Each team attempts to move their bots down these lanes to the enemy's end-zone, called the Moneyball. Two lanes, that's it. You either push them successfully or you don't. Sure you can run up onto the "jungle", an area above or below the lanes, but then you aren't pushing the lanes, you can't kill enemy turrets, and you can't attack their money ball. The jungle's primary use really is to harass enemy players (called Pros).

After all the above, I should note that I have played some 400+ matches and logged 200+ game hours, which is more than I spent on Modern Warfare, and not quite as much as I spent on Brink (my last two shooters.) So, to be fair, I should say it has a high fun factor. Be warned though, the learning curve is very sharp. You will need to log 50+ hours if you want to actually compete. Also bear in mind, those one sided games... you'll be getting crushed in half of them, which is very frustrating and leads people to leave the match (as you have read from the other posts.)

I had hoped this game would last many months (dare I say years?) But I'm about done with it now.
    Ghost Recon and Mechwarrior on the horizon.
  37. Jun 18, 2012
    This game is insanely busy. Its boring. It feels wrong. I hate it. Never before have I seen a game like this. It got a point for being unique. The game sucks, you have to BUY classes by saving up currency for a long time or spending like 20 bucks on the game. I was expecting something nice, like a nice TPS with a bit of TF2 pushed in there. It tried, so it got a 3.
  38. Jun 19, 2012
    This game has quickly become my new addiction. I see many complaints from people who say they can not get a good game out of this games matchmaking, however, 90% of the time these are the same people who all of us who are decent at the game hate being paired up with. The people who have never played a MOBA style game in their life or just aren't willing to adapt what they do know to SMNC. Even when i first started playing I would get matched up with people from time to time who would come in, die 5 times by running head first into the other team, and then leave the game and go complain that it was the matchmakings fault that they are terrible. Granted, the matchmaking is in no way perfect. I have in fact been put into matches here and there against players who legitimately outmatched me in every way, but this is still a young game and as we speak the company is working on their matchmaking systems as well as continuing to work on adding new things and improve balance. Long ques are another issue I hear about a lot, but the simple solution to that is that there simply aren't enough people playing the game consistently. Personally I don't see why not, as I said I fell in love with the game from day 1. To all of you giving the game lower scores simply because of the que times, maybe you should try and be part of the solution instead. Get more people playing and the que times will go down. I can see this game being a big success with the continued efforts of the devs, and I hope to be playing and supporting them every step of the way Expand
  39. Jun 20, 2012
    Don't bother with SMNC unless you enjoy submitting yourself to loads of frustration. Despite the great premise everything about this game is frustrating and terrible.

The matchmaking system is horrible. By appearance it randomly throws anyone in a match together. Every game consisted of a few people with months and months of experience destroying new players, and the rest of the teams
    filled out with the people that are getting destroyed by them.

They also have several pros that are way overpowered compared to the rest and have remained that way since release despite the general agreement in the forums there. It is bad enough that some guy that has been playing for months and months is killing you every 60 seconds, but that guy is using an expensive pro he purchased that you couldn't kill with your pro even if you were the same skill level.

Want to play with your friend? Too bad. You and your friend are welcome to sit in the queue for 25 minutes waiting on a game if you want since the guys at SMNC have not figured out how to make it so you can pair up with your friend and still work you into matchmaking.

The game issues mentioned above are not the worst part. If you are Ghandi and can suffer through them long enough you will get to meet the worst community in gaming history. PvP communities always are a mixed bunch but this group is the bottom of the barrel. Be prepared as a new player to have them rage at you for being terrible while you die every time you leave base due to bad match making. If you should use the forums be prepared to be called every name in the book and mocked every way possible for having an opinion, so don't bother.

The player base has dropped down to 700 players and that is during prime time. Don't bother with this already dead game unless you just feel like you want to torture yourself for a bit.
  40. Jun 30, 2012
    Not as fun as the First one, but more people are playing it, and it's not too bad. A lot of the tactical fun from the first game is gone (almost all of it). It's simplified "run and gun" with a couple more unique rules. More characters. Free to play, but pay money to unlock stuff ahead of time. Not a bad business idea, if they had actually pulled it off right. I'm not sure who would pay for some of the items. If you have a few hundred dollars, you can unlock everything at once (after the 50% sale). OVERALL: I think they took a great game in the wrong direction. Think Rainbow Six Vegas moving to Vegas 2 but you have to spend money to always use your character. I hope this free-2-playpay-2-win fad dies soon. Expand
  41. Jul 16, 2012
    A game that seems to be designed with the baffling intent of completely and utterly repelling anyone who might consider picking it up. The tutorial--if you could even possibly consider it that--is so incredibly unhelpful that they probably shouldn't have even bothered. You will be learning by trial and error almost exclusively. You'll also notice when you first try to begin any sort of game that roughly half of all the "pros" are completely locked out to you, but don't fret! You can unlock them after many long, grind-tastic hours of accumulating the pittances of in-game cash you're offered at the conclusion of each match, or you can unlock them instantly with absurd amounts of real-world money. This would perhaps be tolerable if several of the unlockable classes weren't comically overpowered and dominating every game, and the fact that no two players on your team can be the same character, which is simply insane. Not to mention that most matches essentially turn into a giant snowball-steamroller combo perpetuated by veteran players grinding the faces of greenhorns into the pavement ad infinitum. There's plenty more criticism where that came from (intensely unsatisfying shooting mechanics, matchmaking Charlie Foxtrot, only five samey maps and two suspiciously similar gamemodes), but I'm simply too tired to continue. Just let it be known that this game has done absolutely everything in it's power to be uninviting to new players (probably to frustrate them into purchasing shiny new things). I would not recommend it to anyone. Expand
  42. Jul 15, 2012
    I've always been a fan for shooter games, and just recently started getting into moba/dota type games, this game blends those styles together in the most amazing way. I can say that I've never enjoyed a game so much before ever. I have to say that it's not very easy when you first start out, but once you get the hang of what do do, its amazing fun, and once you invest the effort and time to get good at it it's very rewarding. 10/10 ! Expand
  43. Jul 22, 2012
    Super Monday Night Combat is a blend of MOBA and 3rd Person Shooter that for me that hasn't quite got it right yet. It's really enjoyable - the characters are lively and full of charm and is one of the most humorous games I've played recently. The controls are pretty much perfect, very responsive and work as they should. The gameplay is intense and well paced and has some good mechanics. However, the gameplay, whilst fun, can end up feeling very unsatisfying and frustrating. Snowballing is frequent, especially with quitters, the massive power gap between levels and the annihilator (which destroys all enemy bots). It also has some really bad balance issues issues between classes which make some seem virtually unplayable. It also feels unrewarding if you're a free player, as it takes so long to accumulate enough in game coins to buy new stuff it feels at times pretty pointless. Overall, despite my criticisms, there were enough good points to keep me coming back to log 20+ hours of play. It is really fun once you get into it; just beware that it can be an exercise in frustration. Expand
  44. Jul 19, 2012
    A fun moba game with third person shooter elements, feels balanced and gets updated frequently
    this game is similar to the original MNC but with more characters and many changes
    You often get matched with feeders on your team but other than that the game is great
  45. Aug 7, 2012
    SMNC is a third-person MOBA (if you haven't found out already) that is a large expansion upon the original Monday Night Combat that delivers a different thrill with new characters and game play. They constantly are adding on to the game which is nice for some flaws like the sometimes super long waiting time. The game has a drop out system where if a character drops out he obtains a severe penalty where he can't play until the match has finished which a match is usually around 25-50 minutes and he gets a decrease in his XP and CC income, even if he joins back. So let's lay it out, the game is pretty new flaws that are constantly being fixed, new things everyday or it seems, lovable characters, and fun game play. Collapse
  46. Aug 8, 2012
    I played SMNC for 1 or 2 hours and I did enjoy playing, its not bad for a free to play 3rd person shooter, however it didn't feel good enough to carry on playing for any longer, the commentary within the game is pretty cool though, it makes it feel like i'm playing the game in front of an audience.
  47. Aug 27, 2012
    Match making blows teams r always one sided. Over powered pro. Pretty much have to spend real money to even compete, everything is overpriced and not worth it for a dieing game. Community is sitting at 400 people logged in at 1 time. Cant play with friends unless u want to wait in que for 25mins
  48. Oct 31, 2012
    You know what, **** this game. I enjoyed it almost 0% and its boring most of the times. Its just junk, don't play it.............. just dont.............
  49. Dec 13, 2012
    Another attempted DotA ripoff but missing about half the game's features. You level up, upgrade skills, push lanes, and fight Roshan, but there's no item shops, TP scrolls, counterpicking, etc. The most disappointing part for me is the lack of pros (heroes); 16 pros divided between 5 classes and 6 free per rotation means a lot of mirror matches. It has some unique concepts and is fun for casual play, but I don't really see myself playing this after a month or so since it has so many problems. Lack of pros, leavers going unpunished, non-existent matchmaking, lack of maps (5 maps & average match is 15 mins), and the ridiculous cash shop kill this game's staying power. Expand
  50. Dec 18, 2012
    If MNC was checkers, SMNC is chess. SMNC is a free to play, slower paced more thought out version of what Monday Night Combat was; less of a twitch shooter, straying away from one hit kill attacks. 17 Different pros to choose from in 5 different categories to suit your play style. This game combines third person shooting with MOBA style gameplay. Your goal as a Pro is to push your bots down one of two lanes to the enemy base's Moneyball, using them to break shields on enemy turrets along the way. Which will then let you attack and destroy these turrets. Fighting off the enemy team as they try to do the same to you. The game doesn't take itself too seriously, seeing as how some of the combatants are a rapping robot, a robot that thinks he is human, and a Gorilla in a suit with a tommy gun. It has a fun sense of humor that will appeal to those with a sense of humor. Three different game modes let you play standard gameplay (Super Cross), Increased damage with rebuildable turrets like in MNC (Turbo Cross), or horde mode (Super Blitz ) battling waves of robots to see how many rounds you can survive. Players can only buy cosmetic items, or in-game currency & experience boosts with real world money other in-game items that tweak combat such as Products (Situational activation items) or Endorsements (Statistic buffs or debuffs) can only be acquired with in-game currency.

Xbox 360 Controller compatible.
  51. Feb 23, 2013
    This game is the equivalent of castrating yourself fifty times. The game is buggy, the matchmaking doesn't work, and the community it has is nonexistent. There's a huge disparity of skill caused by the lack of players and the amount of experience the experienced players have. Why is this a problem? No matchmaking. It's Uber Entertainment's self-fulfilling legacy of making all of their games flop. Please try it for a month. You may be the type of person that enjoys broken games, but if you're like the many people that have left for better games, it will be the same as castrating yourself fifty times. Expand
  52. Jul 3, 2013
    While i was joining to my first game i hoped "its gonna be some teamwork!!!" but it was not like that. There are bots and people camp in their bases and shoot 'em. Actually, you have to fight on your own. I've tried to tell people that we had better try to do teamwork and rush. But no one listened me.
    the game's system is okay, but there are many things to buy i was confused what they were.
  53. Mar 26, 2013
    Let me point this first: negative ratings of this game are out of pure frustration, which I totally understand. This game is a third-person shooting MOBA, where you push your bots to get the opponent team moneyball. I really love this game, it's strategical, tactical, and it's free. There are 17 characters ("pros") to choose from, with wide array of abilities, basically divided in DPS, Commando and Support. If you're new, I suggest you check the difficulty bar when choosing a pro. Commandos for example are not for the newbie. The only downside I found (except some minor bugs that really go unnoticed) is that the matchmaking REALLY sucks. Looks like it doesn't care about players' level, which is can be a deterrant for new players. You connect, you get killed a lot, don't get a chance to do anything, and you won't be playing this anymore. So get ready to be killed a lot and lose a lot if you're new. Also for more experienced players it's frustrating to get teamed with novices while the opposition has full veteran players. Despite this, the game is really fun when the teams are balanced, probably one of the best team games I've ever played. Definitely one of my current favorite games. Expand
  54. Jul 1, 2014
    I can't really describe how much potential Monday Night Combat title had. UberEnt really ruined it.
    If you want to play something FAST PACED, then I recommend simple, Monday Night Combat.
    SMNC is nothing more than Alpha MNC. A lot of good stuff were implemented but a lot of stuff were also ruined.
  55. Jun 30, 2013
    Core game mechanics like shooting, jumping, rolling don't work at all or consistently. Hell, some spells actually propel you further based on ping and framerate. If you shoot a low RoF weapon, there's a high chance it will jam and fire off thin air. This, along with a bunch of core game mechanics do not even work. Horribly finicky netcode. HL3 will come by the time the game gets updated. Heroes do not rotate. Balance gets thrown out the window completely with mandatory late-game builds that force other sets of products out of viability, along with buffs that completely throw off combat triangles with +damage, +health, and +speed. The game's community is nearly nonexistent or the worst band of elitists I have ever seen. The playerbase counter is perpetually stuck at 603 players but is actually significantly less (steamcharts.com/app/104700). Uber Entertainment has a track record of failing to deliver their promises, starting from maintenance and updating of their first game MNC, with similar unfulfilled promises in SMNC. Store items are overpriced for what they're worth. SMNC has no tutorial, nor any up-to-date guides. Newbies get swept into games with ALL ranges of matchmaking ratings. There is no newbie pool. Matchmaking is nonexistent and may as well not even be there, as 95% of games will be unfair. The 5% of fair or equal games devolve into turtling, shooting the other team as much as possible, and stacking late-game builds unbalancing buffs. Most games just plain snowball due to bad game mechanics and matchmaking. There are ridiculous out-of-character heroes that do not belong in any genre that involves "MOBA", such as the sharpshooter category, dealing no-falloff damage from any range. One of such pros is called the Gunslinger, a pure DPS pro that belongs in a pure shooter. With theoretical 100% accuracy, a Gunslinger or any other hero can utterly decimate the other team via the third-person shooter aspect. MOBA aspects do not amount to much, and the melding of two categories of games overall makes the game very shallow. There is almost no scaling to balance the MOBA aspects, which quickly becomes a mere joke as the game progresses. Bots start off strong and become completely obsolete. Turrets do not actually defend pros if an enemy player grapples an allied player. Turrets are weak, and once they have been unshielded by an enemy bot, become cannon fodder. Since bots/turrets don't scale, they are demolished in mere seconds in late-game. The only obvious scaling is the introduction of jackbot waves during overtime, which are actually jokes too as they have buggy AI and are just massive walking targets. Speaking of AI, it's nonexistent in this game. Creeps will get stuck in their pathing and/or walk through walls and/or get stuck. In these scenarios, they may indefinitely draw fire from opposing creeps and take no damage. Map designs are simply bad. Unlike one-dimensional map designs such as featured in Smite or any other MOBA, maps in SMNC are designed with top-level floors, which gives the controlling team massive territorial, shooting, and leveling advantages. There is no consistency in this game. The three different commandos have blinds that have different additional effects. The developers, for a time decided to make balance changes with consistency between different classes, but this has no longer been the case. For example, there is a stereotypical rocket-launching pro in this game. Her primary has radial falloff. A clone of this pro, a heavier enforcer version, has almost the same exact weapon but no radial falloff. There are skills in this game that are 100% useless and impossible to make viable, unlike other moba games. Why? Because unfortunately, the devs decided for a no item store route, forcing cookiecutter builds. Some pros have many viable dump skills and some have less, like the Assault. Instead of making all skills equally viable, the developer has opted to the skill upgrading system finicky and dull. This game has poor optimization, the worst of any UE3 game in existence. It's impossible to max this game out with modern hardware on all maps. One map, Gun Mountain has so little optimization and so much screen clutter that generally all setups will spike below 75 FPS if maxed out. There will be no more new heroes in this game due to a lack of updates, because the devs mismanaged the game so poorly that the budget ran out. A F2P game without updates can and will be a dead game. The devs promised mod support for MNC, but never delivered. SMNC has 0 servers one can host and 0 mod support. Planetary Annihilation, an upcoming game that has drawn the attention of Uber will come with native mod support. Servers are consistently choppy, even though they're hosted by an outside third-party Amazon. There will be servers a player will rubberband/skip on, and as said before it breaks some game mechanics (rolling, charging etc). Suspected pushing games to less servers.

Overall, 99% unplayable.
  56. Jul 1, 2013
    SMNC has changed from a mediocre game to something completely revolting. Don't waste your time, there are much better installments available on the Steam platform.
  57. Jul 9, 2013
    The community is what makes and breaks games. For SMNC, it's been as toxic as any MOBA's. Here's what one player had to say about their own community: "1) this game attracts people with embarassingly little common sense. 2) the game is pretty much unsupported atm." Take it for what you will. Gameplay isn't stunning, either, but the review of "crosshair41" is why I picked up this game. The gameplay is not entertaining at all, but it's free. Free unhappiness and helplessness. Expand
  58. Nov 29, 2013
    Made by a company with zero respect or loyalty to the fans that aren't currently making them money. It's outrageous how Uber Entertainment treats their old "fans".
  59. Aug 7, 2012

Catchy multiplayer action with tactical elements is free to play but suffers from a few launch-related problems. Once those are solved Super MNC will be a straight hit. [Sept 2012]
  2. Jun 25, 2012
    In a nutshell, Uber Entertainment clearly figured out what their first game needed and they brought it. The shortcomings from the first game have been dealt with, and even now they're still piling on constant updates with a Valve-like intensity. With a very dedicated and growing community of players, Super Monday Night Combat has blossomed into a legitimate heavyweight among its peers.
  3. Jun 13, 2012
    Grumbles about the frustrating matchmaker aside, Super Monday Night Combat is a free-to-play game that would have been a perfectly legitimate retail release with a few more maps and available Pros.