Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP PC

6.4

1. Sep 21, 2012
    What a horrible game. The only redeeming quality this game has is its fantastic music/sounds. Everything else, from the graphics to the having to wait a whole lunar month to actually play a game, is just god awful. Stay away from this train wreck.
  2. Dec 12, 2012
    Good bits: varied and affecting soundtrack, good field recordings of foresty sounds, experiments in graphics and animation and storytelling.... Not so good bits: The gameplay is a banal and frustrating action clickfest at times, and a pixel hunter at other times. It's forgivable and the good bits and few outstanding gameplay moments make it kind of worth trying. I think the best partsGood bits: varied and affecting soundtrack, good field recordings of foresty sounds, experiments in graphics and animation and storytelling.... Not so good bits: The gameplay is a banal and frustrating action clickfest at times, and a pixel hunter at other times. It's forgivable and the good bits and few outstanding gameplay moments make it kind of worth trying. I think the best parts where those where I didn't have to actively play the game. Expand
  3. Sep 20, 2014
    Despite Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP not having particularly entertaining game mechanics, you will still be compelled to learn more about the surreal and magical worlds The Scythian explores. As an added bonus, the music that accompanies the game, by Jim Guthrie, is perfect and purchasing the game off Steam grants you a free digital copy of it.
  4. Oct 22, 2015
    Unique game. Music and sounds are perfect. But in my opinion I think the game can be better. And it needs more work to make it even more interesting.
  5. Mar 14, 2016
    This game has a truly fantastic art style, soundtrack and atmosphere. It also boasts a lot of character, and and interesting story. The only downside is that this game consisted of lengthy periods of just walking from place to place. Unfortunately the conversion of the game from touchscreen platform to pc did not serve this aspect of the game well. The gameplay also lacking, but this isn'tThis game has a truly fantastic art style, soundtrack and atmosphere. It also boasts a lot of character, and and interesting story. The only downside is that this game consisted of lengthy periods of just walking from place to place. Unfortunately the conversion of the game from touchscreen platform to pc did not serve this aspect of the game well. The gameplay also lacking, but this isn't a game in the traditional sense of the word, and I don't hold that against it. It is important to consider that it was originally a game designed for touchscreen devices. Where this game lacks in gameplay it offers a whole lot more in other departments than most other games. Expand
  6. Mar 13, 2014
    Superbrothers is to gaming what Adventure Time is to TV: something I just don’t get. Or maybe something you can only "get" if you're high.

Controls are bad, graphics are junk, music is forgettable, story is…well, I’m not sure there is a story aside from references to other games like Zelda. I thought this would be an amusing diversion for an evening but instead it put me to sleep. Literally. I struggled to finish the first part because I kept dozing off. Shocked at how many people are praising the visuals. It’s nothing but blocky pixels everywhere, allegedly arranged in “poetic” fashion. Whatever.

Superbrothers is sort of like Another World: there are action-type areas with puzzles mixed in. Except Another World is much better in every way, even the graphics, so you might as well play that instead. In fact, do anything else instead. If you have no other video game to play, read a book, surf the internet, eat a sandwich, exercise, anything. Your time will be better spent.
  7. Feb 15, 2017
    I don't need you to hold my hand, but you have to tell me how to play the game SOMEHOW. Do it with simple enemies, first levels that serve as tutorials, or at the very least, with an instruction manual or controls laid out in the settings somewhere. I didn't make this game. I don't know how to play it. I don't know that there are no keyboard controls. I don't know it's only limited to theI don't need you to hold my hand, but you have to tell me how to play the game SOMEHOW. Do it with simple enemies, first levels that serve as tutorials, or at the very least, with an instruction manual or controls laid out in the settings somewhere. I didn't make this game. I don't know how to play it. I don't know that there are no keyboard controls. I don't know it's only limited to the mouse. I don't know which button is attack. TELL ME.

I expected better from capybara after clash of heroes.
  8. Sep 27, 2012
    Who did this had big plans, but something went wrong, you can hardly call this "game";looks like a musical experiment.Luckily I got it with a bundle.
  9. Jun 5, 2012
    This game has cool art... that's about it. I understand it's a point-and-click game, but this just doesn't work. The battle system is in dire need of tweaks... swiping maybe, something... it's just bad. After playing it for about 45 min, I wanted to kick myself in the ass for wasting my money. If you like the art, don't let the game ruin it.. just do a Google Image Search of the "Sword &This game has cool art... that's about it. I understand it's a point-and-click game, but this just doesn't work. The battle system is in dire need of tweaks... swiping maybe, something... it's just bad. After playing it for about 45 min, I wanted to kick myself in the ass for wasting my money. If you like the art, don't let the game ruin it.. just do a Google Image Search of the "Sword & Sworcery". Expand
  10. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a weird game to review, because it does a few things really well, and a few things really poorly. The soundtrack is great, and they get a lot of mileage out of the 8 bit graphics. Some of the puzzles are okay, but the combat is painful. It's a game that looks and sounds nice, but just isn't fun.
  11. Jun 3, 2012
    This game is quite bizarre, but the strange puzzles, graphics and storyline are simply pleasing. For no real reason, the game is quite enjoyable. The music sets the ambiance well, whether you are peacefully trotting to your next destination, or fighting a golden triangle. It's eclectically experimental, and that's what makes it's unique charm worth the time and money.
  12. Dec 10, 2013
    I don't understand all these bad reviews, the game is a unique gem of an experience with incredible visuals, moving sound design, and a story that is truly unique both in implementation and presentation.

I don't even like point and click adventures, yet I ended up buying 3 more copies to gift to friends via steam, theres this one part where youe ven get to like improvise music in the

theres this one part where youe ven get to like improvise music in the forest with the ingame version of the soundtrack artist (sry forgot the name) and it literally moved me by how beautiful it was, no joke.

Anyway, good story, great graphics, great music, good gameplay, what more could you ask for? Well in my case I would ask for the ability to understand the people who gave this game 1's and 2's...
  13. Jun 24, 2012
    I'm going with the whole "short and sweet" review standpoint here, because that's really what it is. The game was somehow touching, mostly through its music it managed to immerse me in a sidescrolling pixelated work of art.
  14. Aug 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A beautifully organized game with great visuals, music, and a short, simple, and overall enjoyable story. However, it's weighed down by inane "quirkiness" through frequent outdated 90s lingo and overt Legend of Zelda influence (I mean, spoiler alert, you fight the pieces of the triforce in the same manner that you fight Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time). This problem is shoved further down your throat as the game constantly reminds you that you can tweet every single phrase they put up on your screen. If you can ignore the niggling feeling that you're playing a game for hipsters, you'll find this game very rewarding in it's own unique way. Expand
  15. Jun 3, 2012
    A very solid game that I'm glad I bought. A beautiful soundtrack and great story. Anyone commenting on the graphics is looking at the genre of game wrong, unless they're saying that the art style and graphic display of that style fit the game well. Combat is generic and loses its novelty quickly, but still a very good game overall.
  16. Jun 2, 2012
    Excellent pixel-art graphics and music. Maybe too twiter-oriented and controls are not very comfortable, but still a nice indie game worth buying and playing.
  17. Jul 17, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery was a short, stylish, enjoyable diversion for me. The music is unbelievable, and I would recommend picking up the soundtrack somewhere. The presentation is really good. The overall atmosphere the game creates is stellar. Unfortunately, the gameplay is lacking. Puzzles are often confusing or boring, and the combat system is similarly frustrating. There are some gems inSword & Sworcery was a short, stylish, enjoyable diversion for me. The music is unbelievable, and I would recommend picking up the soundtrack somewhere. The presentation is really good. The overall atmosphere the game creates is stellar. Unfortunately, the gameplay is lacking. Puzzles are often confusing or boring, and the combat system is similarly frustrating. There are some gems in here, but they are pretty infrequent. I'd still recommend a playthrough though, as it's a pretty cheap and cheerful diversion. I had some fun with it, but mainly due to the presentation and not the gameplay. Definitely a game of style over substance. Expand
  18. Feb 28, 2014
    Superbrothers has very interesting cues, a superb graphical taste, but...that's just not enough to make a good overall experience, in my opinion. Gameplay was boring and sometimes annoying, it really did little to push me and to proceed to the end.
  19. Jun 22, 2012
    While this game has some great ideas, most of them are poorly executed. 70% of the time you're expected to figure out what to do with vague clues that really don't make any sense. To top it off there are some incredibly frustrating bugs. Have fun watching your character walk aimlessly for large amounts of time.

Game looks awesome and sounds awesome, but it doesn't make up for poor design.
  20. Jun 7, 2012
    This is not what video games are meant to be about, Because, y'know, you buy video games to have fun, right? Well at least I do anyway. Although this game has some lovely visuals and music fitting to an 8bit retro throw back, I find the whole thing highly pretentious and dull. I'm glad that I got this from a humble bundle, otherwise I would have felt more inclined to give this game an evenThis is not what video games are meant to be about, Because, y'know, you buy video games to have fun, right? Well at least I do anyway. Although this game has some lovely visuals and music fitting to an 8bit retro throw back, I find the whole thing highly pretentious and dull. I'm glad that I got this from a humble bundle, otherwise I would have felt more inclined to give this game an even worse review. Expand
  21. Apr 17, 2012
    Short but sweet. Beautifully detailed 8 bit world. Clocking in at 6 hours the game makes the most of its limited environments without the danger of them becoming tiresome. There are a few gimmicky elements in the game that really don't fit. The game is very proud of its music and the musician that made it and that's fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean a vinyl record fits into the game'sShort but sweet. Beautifully detailed 8 bit world. Clocking in at 6 hours the game makes the most of its limited environments without the danger of them becoming tiresome. There are a few gimmicky elements in the game that really don't fit. The game is very proud of its music and the musician that made it and that's fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean a vinyl record fits into the game's organic fantasy vibe. The ending is equal parts downer and nonsensical but there's enough of an epilogue that you're not left with your jaw on the floor. Overall I was satisfied with this game. I bought it this evening and couldn't stop playing until I'd completed the journey. I can't wait to see what the guys at Capybara and Superbrothers can do next. Expand
  22. Jul 22, 2012
    This game has amazing art and awesome sound, however the gameplay just doesn't cut it i'm afraid. After playing 10 minutes you kinda feel like you either want to see something really amazing or just end the level so you can move onto another game.
  23. Jun 5, 2012
    It won't be for everyone, but it accomplishes its vision beautifully. An homage to classic 8 bit console adventures, but also inheriting an adventure legacy of Kings Quest, Myst, and other similar style games from the PC past. Great fun on the iPad, looks great on the PC. The soundtrack is also very special, one of the best for a video game in years.

You need to have patience, and an

You need to have patience, and an ability to appreciate their whimisical approach to exploration. Its not a stats ladden RPG. There's minimal violence. And nostaliga is a big part of this game; if you missed gaming in the 1980s on the PC or Nintendo, you might not catch some of the subtleties of this game.
  24. Jun 5, 2012
    This game is visually amazing! Nice story (maybe a little bit strange) with wonderful music. In fact, I think the music fits like a glove. I liked the Zelda similarities.
  25. Jun 29, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery is not a game that can be reviewed as game because it is an interactive experience. What does that mean? It means to play it you have to give yourself whole to the game and immerse into the world although it doesn't even has a tutorial... that's part of the voyage and the discovery.

Beautiful -8 bits-like graphics that leave a lot of details to be filled by your imagination is something some young gamers won't understand, and intuitive try and try again gameplay and controls can be frustrating for those who wants to know everything right now. But everything clicks into place very quickly and you'll be able to breeze through it in no time.

Non-complex gameplay is intended to enjoy the experience... this is not a game about challenges but a simple story told through our actions and errors. The music ties perfectly with this simple visuals and controls, peaceful natural sounds like a waterfall in the background with clear guitars.

The game has some replayability too with some achievements that can be completed in a quick 2nd go at the game (once you finish it the first time the second time will go by very quickly) and there is at least two puzzles that have more than one solution and may keep you coming back to try another time.

It's a short game, but more importantly it's a deep experience if you are willing to give yourself to it and accept it as is. Simple graphics, simple controls, simple music, simple story... but a great experience.

The tweeter thing is optional so don't cry about it! xD
  26. Dec 12, 2016
    This game is incredibly buggy to the point that it is unplayable on any new gpus. It will open the game up in a resolution too high and because the game has its own weird mouse tracking you cannot click on the buttons to change the resolution to your resolution so you cannot even hit the play button, let alone play the game. DO NOT BUY!
  27. Jun 25, 2012
    Mindless busywork set to an insubstantial plot with an ass of an attitude. The world and story (which are important to a point-and-click adventure) are nothing beyond the basal, formulaic medieval fantasy hero stuff. The gameplay is pretty much disconnected from everything about the story, apart from how succeeding moves the narrative along, and amounts to quicktime event combat andMindless busywork set to an insubstantial plot with an ass of an attitude. The world and story (which are important to a point-and-click adventure) are nothing beyond the basal, formulaic medieval fantasy hero stuff. The gameplay is pretty much disconnected from everything about the story, apart from how succeeding moves the narrative along, and amounts to quicktime event combat and simple shape-based puzzles. The world is very nice to look at when zoomed out, but turns into just a bunch of garbled, chunky pixels when you're up close interacting with just about anything. It's also very pretentious, in the most intimate sense. It actively just masturbates all over you as you play by pretending that its simple, mindless elements are actually worth giving a damn about with unfittingly sarcastic writing and this annoying guy who pops up in between chapters just spewing mostly nonsense. The only good quality about the game is its soundtrack, which is better off bought on its own, if that's at all possible. Expand
  28. Jun 4, 2012
    If nothing else it's worth it for the soundtrack - especially if you picked it up for cheap as part of the current Humble Bundle. That said, it's not really a 'game' as much as it is an interactive vehicle for the excellent pseudo-electronic score. It's obviously intended for a touchscreen, the gameplay and combat mechanics are extremely limited and navigating from area to area is a bitIf nothing else it's worth it for the soundtrack - especially if you picked it up for cheap as part of the current Humble Bundle. That said, it's not really a 'game' as much as it is an interactive vehicle for the excellent pseudo-electronic score. It's obviously intended for a touchscreen, the gameplay and combat mechanics are extremely limited and navigating from area to area is a bit frustrating to control using a mouse, especially later in the game when you're being chased by Generic Evil Spirit. It was at least moderately engaging and they keep it short and sweet, but beyond the music I don't really see why S:S&S is getting the praise it is. Expand
  29. Jun 24, 2012
    I generally like art projects in game industry but this is not even a game. It is strange for me to see it rated so high.
    Go play Machinarium or Botanicula if you want to see how point-and-click art-based adventures can be done. And they don't even ask your social network accounts to be 100 times more entertaining. Amazing.
  30. May 15, 2012
    I enjoyed the historical references and music in this game, but the actual gameplay was extremely disappointing and boring with quick time event combat.
    The interface hasn't been improved for the PC and reeks of being ported from an iOS without much effort to really use the PC platform as much as possible.

1. PC Gamer
    Jun 19, 2012
    Sworcery is worth a look for the presentation and music, but despite the upgrade to HD the mobile version is still the one to go for. [Aug 2012, p.77]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jun 18, 2012
    Best definition of what an indie game should be: stylish, original, intellectually stimulating and an amusing adventure. [June 2012]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Superbrothers is a unique audio-visual experience that turns an old cliché into a refreshing and intriguing adventure, though it sacrifices gameplay to achieve it.