6.3

1. Jun 3, 2012
    I am a fan of indie games, and I like the "old-school" feel of this game. The music/sound was incredible (but too good for this game, kinda like the movie "FM"). I think this game had a LOT of potential but most of it was ruined by the dialogue/story text. Whoever wrote these little gems was obviously a hipster trying WAY too hard to be "ironic". For example, your character is walking through a lush forest next to a beautifully reflective lake with Guthrie's soothing sounds setting the mood and you come across a man chopping wood. The dialogue box pops up and says something like, "Woodmanbro thinks you are like, totally rad, bro." This continues for pretty much any dialogue/story text you will encounter. I played until a little ways into part 3 (there are 4 parts to the game, so a little over halfway) before I just couldn't stand it anymore. Every time I would start to really get into the game and the atmosphere created by Guthrie something else would pop up and ruin it with more hipster buzzword garbage, so I guess it's really no surprise that the game asks you to post every inane bit of dialogue you encounter to that other bastion of hipsterism - twitter. I suppose it's supposed to be "ironic" that they just don't care enough to create real story text, but really it's just annoying and makes the game feel unfinished, like the developers gave the game to their 16 year old brother and asked him to write the dialogue. The developers should go back and play the old Sierra classic Hero's Quest (also known as Quest for Glory) for examples of story text that are cute/funny/campy without being horribly overdone, painfully "ironic" and ruining the mood of the game.

Also, the Zelda triforce ripoff just felt like more hipster B.S. - "HAY HAY WE PLAYED ZELDA AND MADE A TOTALLY TOO-OBVIOUS REFERENCE TO IT ISN'T THAT COOL/FUNNY/IRONIC BRO?!!!"
  2. May 15, 2012
    I enjoyed the historical references and music in this game, but the actual gameplay was extremely disappointing and boring with quick time event combat.
    The interface hasn't been improved for the PC and reeks of being ported from an iOS without much effort to really use the PC platform as much as possible.
  3. May 17, 2012
    I knew something was desperately wrong when the game prompted me to enter my twitter login details to auto post a vacuous end of level monologue after I'd spaz clicked my way thru the 1st level. Ridiculous. Hipster. Trash.
  4. May 4, 2012
    I signed up just to give this game a poor score. Please don't spend money on it like I did. I can't help but think the 10's on here are friends of the publisher. Really terrible game play in a novel visual format. Really the novel visuals are all this game have going for it and they wear off quickly due to the poor content and play. Get Limbo if you like novel visuals with interesting game play. Consider this game a nonsensical puzzle game, with dreary "puzzles" . The story line is inconsequential and the game is basically a series of visuals tied to puzzles "gems" that include "rubbing" rainbows with a mouse curser. Even in the original iOS format this game stinks. Humor, sound track and plot sound and play out as if they were put together by a student of some poor art school and that is probably the audience who would appreciate the "game" the most. I think the developers should perhaps take up advertising design to pump out their drivel in the context of web and tv ads because they shouldn't rip off the paying gaming public with rubbish like this. Readers, seriously reconsider any critic who has given this a great review. Expand
  5. Jun 2, 2012
    Excellent pixel-art graphics and music. Maybe too twiter-oriented and controls are not very comfortable, but still a nice indie game worth buying and playing.
  6. Apr 28, 2012
    This game is the most stupendous amazingly incredible experience I've had in ages. Any fan of good things owes it to themselves to play this game; it's just that good.
  7. Jun 5, 2012
    This game has cool art... that's about it. I understand it's a point-and-click game, but this just doesn't work. The battle system is in dire need of tweaks... swiping maybe, something... it's just bad. After playing it for about 45 min, I wanted to kick myself in the ass for wasting my money. If you like the art, don't let the game ruin it.. just do a Google Image Search of the "Sword & Sworcery". Expand
  8. Jun 3, 2012
    It is honestly perplexing to see critics praise this game so heavily. It is barely even a game. It is an awful port of a a bland iPod game with barely any effort in translating the controls. The graphics are a hideous, cluttered mess. The combat is boring and without any challenge. Most of the gameplay consists of you slowly walking from place to place, clicking around the screen to solve puzzles with zero bearing in logic. Sword & Sworcery is beyond a bad game. It is pretentious, clunky, ugly and simply not fun to play. A zero is usually a bit harsh, but I cannot give this anything higher. Expand
  9. Jun 1, 2012
    Hipster garbage. Another game that focuses on a stupid gimmick rather than being fun. Might be better on a mobile/touchscreen platform, but is extremely unsatisfying on the PC.

Was considering giving it a 2 because the visuals and music were -okay-; but then I remembered that it wanted me to sign into twitter so the game can advertise itself on my feed.
  10. Jun 3, 2012
    Boy, am I glad it came in a bundle and this way I can feel that I didn't waste any money on it... Confusing control scheme, "artistic" graphic (what is so cool about taking tiny sprites and blowing them out of proportions?) the "oh so chilled out" mood. And the NAGGING to tweet. It felt like a "F2P" Android game that keeps asking you to give it 5stars to be able to play on. (I uninstall any game that does that, instantly, btw). Basically - trash. (at least for me)
    I can understand if some people like it, but it NEVER justifies a metascore of 85. Nope. Definitely.
  11. May 1, 2012
    These is an amazing game! It's the complete package. The visuals, the story, the tone, the wonderful soundtrack all come together to give you a completely immersive experience with only the simplest of gestures when it comes to the controls and even through the choice of pixel art. This is a game that will be on my favorites list for all time.
  12. Jun 2, 2012
    I registered just to vote down this game because I bought it based on its metacritic score, but was severely disappointed. Rarely have I seen a game where bland, bad graphic design met bland, awful game mechanic. The "puzzles" are all devoid of logic and consist of random clicking, and the story is pretty silly.

What irked me most (apart from the good score it got here) was the absolutely
    horrifyingly boring running around. And since there's so little logic to the game, just running around stupidly is a must to solve 'em riddles. And the paths are long. I almost dozed off a few times. Waste of my money. Expand
  13. Jul 17, 2012
    Sword & Sworcery was a short, stylish, enjoyable diversion for me. The music is unbelievable, and I would recommend picking up the soundtrack somewhere. The presentation is really good. The overall atmosphere the game creates is stellar. Unfortunately, the gameplay is lacking. Puzzles are often confusing or boring, and the combat system is similarly frustrating. There are some gems in here, but they are pretty infrequent. I'd still recommend a playthrough though, as it's a pretty cheap and cheerful diversion. I had some fun with it, but mainly due to the presentation and not the gameplay. Definitely a game of style over substance. Expand
  14. Apr 17, 2012
    Short but sweet. Beautifully detailed 8 bit world. Clocking in at 6 hours the game makes the most of its limited environments without the danger of them becoming tiresome. There are a few gimmicky elements in the game that really don't fit. The game is very proud of its music and the musician that made it and that's fine, but it doesn't necessarily mean a vinyl record fits into the game's organic fantasy vibe. The ending is equal parts downer and nonsensical but there's enough of an epilogue that you're not left with your jaw on the floor. Overall I was satisfied with this game. I bought it this evening and couldn't stop playing until I'd completed the journey. I can't wait to see what the guys at Capybara and Superbrothers can do next. Expand
  15. Sep 8, 2012
    This is one of those games I really thought I'd enjoy but didn't. I'm the kind of niche gamer who enjoyed Wind Waker and Animal Crossing way too much. Relaxing, slow-paced games with loose goals are definitely my thing, but Superbrothers fell too short. The art style and music are fantastic and exploring is fun the few times the game allows it. Other than that, it's an empty experience. The gameplay is as bare bones as it gets. There's not really any side goals and the main quest is a string of overly simple tasks.

All 4/10 of my points are for the amazing visuals and sound design. Everything else about the game is completely vapid.
  16. Jun 1, 2012
    GREAT music and stylish visuals, but as far as gameplay goes there isn't much to do here. The quest is repetitive and has such a boooooring pace. Came curious about the hype, and left extremely disapointed.
  17. May 14, 2012
    This is probably one of the most memorable games I've played in a long time; the main reason is that it is unique both graphically and musically and uses some interesting mechanics that I have not seen in any other game. The music by Jim Guthrie is fantastic and really has a prog rock feel to it. Graphics are old-school and yet work really well. This game just goes to show that you don't need powerful, high-def graphics to create a meaningful experience. One of the highlights of the game (of many) is the battles with the "trigons." I don't know what it is, but the music and graphics are so intense, along with it actually being the only challenging part of the game, that by the end of each of these battles my heart was literally pounding. I cannot remember the last time a game did that. As you can see from the reviews, this game is quite polarizing. It's not for your CoD type of gamer or someone who is into sports games. If you like artful games like Limbo or Journey, you will enjoy this game. It's only $8 on Steam and you get a free download of the soundtrack of the game, which is a great deal. Expand
  18. Jun 6, 2012
    Actual in-game text: "We think of wakefulness & the mythopoetic psychocosmology of dreams as separate states, however they operate in curious ways. The threshold of liminality is a space in-between wakefulness and dreams were directed thought is possible." You know something's wrong when a game uses pscyhobabble jargon that doesn't make any actual real world sense. As another reviewer commented before me (turbo_chuffa) - this game is pure Hipster Trash. It is pretentiousness at the highest annoying level - that level where it is so self-absorbed in its own supposed artistry. The only way I can understand why other people would give this game a high-rating is case of "Emperor's New Clothes" - pretending to like this trash so they can appear intellectually or culturally superior to others. Again, quoting turbo_chuffa - Ridiculous. Hipster. Trash. No 3 words are more appropriate to describe this game. Expand
  19. Nov 13, 2012
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP is a very enchanting game, despite what many other users might have you believe. The pacing, humor, art and music are all top notch. I went into the game not knowing what to expect at all, and came away more than a little pleasantly surprised. The tongue-in-cheek humor is endearing, and the plot takes on the abstract, dream-like qualities of absurdity and non sequitur. The puzzles are not difficult, and the trekking involved to travel were not long enough to instill boredom. I really enjoyed and was satisfied with my playthrough.

That being said, the game is really defined by its atmosphere. This isn't a stat-grinding RPG or a twitch-reflex FPS game. It's not a timed-jump requisite plat former or a strategy game that takes great mental acuity and focus before every move. I'd say it's much more similar to games like Machinarium or Monkey Island, but with an immersive atmosphere much more akin to Zork or Conan the Barbarian, though not quite as deep.

I find it very odd that many reviewers were off-put by the postmodernism and absurdism present within the game in 2012. Hipster-paranoia has apparently reached such heights that any sort of pastiche at all can no longer just be appreciated. Or even worse, there is the case where a reviewer can't simply accept that it just isn't their type of game and flings meaningless insults. There are games that fit the niches stated in the above paragraph. This isn't one of those, and that's part of what made it so refreshing to play, obscure etymology jokes, oblique fantasy references and all.
  20. Jun 25, 2012
    Mindless busywork set to an insubstantial plot with an ass of an attitude. The world and story (which are important to a point-and-click adventure) are nothing beyond the basal, formulaic medieval fantasy hero stuff. The gameplay is pretty much disconnected from everything about the story, apart from how succeeding moves the narrative along, and amounts to quicktime event combat and simple shape-based puzzles. The world is very nice to look at when zoomed out, but turns into just a bunch of garbled, chunky pixels when you're up close interacting with just about anything. It's also very pretentious, in the most intimate sense. It actively just masturbates all over you as you play by pretending that its simple, mindless elements are actually worth giving a damn about with unfittingly sarcastic writing and this annoying guy who pops up in between chapters just spewing mostly nonsense. The only good quality about the game is its soundtrack, which is better off bought on its own, if that's at all possible. Expand
  21. Aug 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. A beautifully organized game with great visuals, music, and a short, simple, and overall enjoyable story. However, it's weighed down by inane "quirkiness" through frequent outdated 90s lingo and overt Legend of Zelda influence (I mean, spoiler alert, you fight the pieces of the triforce in the same manner that you fight Ganon at the end of Ocarina of Time). This problem is shoved further down your throat as the game constantly reminds you that you can tweet every single phrase they put up on your screen. If you can ignore the niggling feeling that you're playing a game for hipsters, you'll find this game very rewarding in it's own unique way. Collapse
  22. Jun 7, 2012
    This is not what video games are meant to be about, Because, y'know, you buy video games to have fun, right? Well at least I do anyway. Although this game has some lovely visuals and music fitting to an 8bit retro throw back, I find the whole thing highly pretentious and dull. I'm glad that I got this from a humble bundle, otherwise I would have felt more inclined to give this game an even worse review. Expand
  23. Jun 24, 2012
    I generally like art projects in game industry but this is not even a game. It is strange for me to see it rated so high.
    Go play Machinarium or Botanicula if you want to see how point-and-click art-based adventures can be done. And they don't even ask your social network accounts to be 100 times more entertaining. Amazing.
  24. Jun 3, 2012
    This game is quite bizarre, but the strange puzzles, graphics and storyline are simply pleasing. For no real reason, the game is quite enjoyable. The music sets the ambiance well, whether you are peacefully trotting to your next destination, or fighting a golden triangle. It's eclectically experimental, and that's what makes it's unique charm worth the time and money.
  25. Jul 30, 2012
    The intentionally nonsensical story and eloquent "hipster" dialogue is sure to delight some, but unfortunately the obtuse gameplay often overshadows the otherwise beautiful presentation. Some puzzles require unintuitive thinking to solve, such as dragging together two mountains in the background. Beyond the minimalist puzzles, the game plays more like an interactive story, and it's during these quirky story-telling moments where the game excels. Expand
  26. Jul 22, 2012
    This game has amazing art and awesome sound, however the gameplay just doesn't cut it i'm afraid. After playing 10 minutes you kinda feel like you either want to see something really amazing or just end the level so you can move onto another game.
  27. Apr 30, 2012
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery is one of those games that you realy don't see coming. It triumphes in sound and visual design and features a new take on musical gameplay and puzzle solving. The visual design is pixel-art' tish or 8 bit type containing lots of particles and visual surprises. The puzzles are what make the game stand out from others as they require the player to constantly try out new possibilities. Some may not seem logical at first but the game gives certain hints after some time in form of a onscreen thought or through a dialogue with an npc hinting to a special way of solving a puzzle. There is also a combat part which is fairly simple and mostly includes pressing the right button at the right time. Fights never get annoying or fall short as they are well placed and don't get on the players nerves while playing. In terms of story, the game features a very linear but good plot that makes the player want to see what happens next and never gets ahead of the actual gameplay as they both seamlessly fit together. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery also has a great soundtrack that adds to the whole experience and makes the game stand out even more. The best thing is that the soundtrack is separately included also in the pc version of the game. It may not be a long game (took me around six hours to complete) but for 5,99â Expand
  28. May 6, 2012
    Utterly annoying trash, agree with icetime 100%, this game has very few redeeming qualitys. There are very few areas to "explore"(read side-scroll past) and the dialogue, puzzles and alot of the music are horribly done.
    Worst of all is the constant pop ups suggesting you tweet each line of the horrible dialogue in the game.
    Pathetic attempt to gain following with social networking sites
    and fake positive reviews.
    AVOID THIS GAME.
  29. Jun 3, 2012
    While the gameplay and combat mechanics were boring and lackluster, the rest of the games was great! Obviously, this is not a standard point and click adventure. It forgoes most of the puzzle mechanics of the genre for a more intuitive, streamlined adventure that was obviously created for a touch screen device. Still, the game has a unique story and design. The beautiful music fits in with the game and makes for a relaxing experience. In summary, although the game is short (only a few hours long), it is both beautiful and unique but the gameplay is somewhat bland . Expand
  30. Jun 24, 2012
    I'm going with the whole "short and sweet" review standpoint here, because that's really what it is. The game was somehow touching, mostly through its music it managed to immerse me in a sidescrolling pixelated work of art.
  31. Aug 15, 2012

1. Jun 19, 2012
    Sworcery is worth a look for the presentation and music, but despite the upgrade to HD the mobile version is still the one to go for. [Aug 2012, p.77]
    Best definition of what an indie game should be: stylish, original, intellectually stimulating and an amusing adventure. [June 2012]
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    Superbrothers is a unique audio-visual experience that turns an old cliché into a refreshing and intriguing adventure, though it sacrifices gameplay to achieve it.