8.5

1. Mar 9, 2011
    SOTS, together with the two expansion packs, turned out to be a fantastic 4X game.

While the original SOTS felt a bit incomplete, the massive improvements included in the collection turned it into this reviewers favorite 4X. Make no mistake, this is not an easy game to master - there are a LOT of tricks to playing it - but it offers more diversity in tactics and strategy than any other.

Make no mistake, this is not an easy game to master - there are a LOT of tricks to playing it - but it offers more diversity in tactics and strategy than any other. The sheer options one has and the number of strategies and counter-strategies is intimidating.

It is clear that a lot of love and care was put into this product and it shows. While it still has a few kinks and flaws (like some blurry textures, engine that is not fully optimized), the things it does offer (re-playability, truly unique races and play-styles, customization, etc..) do make them trivial in comparison.

A definite must buy for any 4X fan.
  2. Jun 16, 2011
    Amazing game, amazing depth with all the expansions. A bit of a learning curve, but what 4X game doesn't have them? It's not MOO2 but it's the next best thing, and I have a feeling they may just get it right with SOTS 2. I love the way they differentiate the races, it's their best idea, and I hope they expand on it. Make sure you try every race!
  3. Nov 5, 2011
    My absolute favorite game. Multiplayer simultaneous turn-based strategic play, extensive randomized tech trees, six races which each play significantly differently, diplomacy, trading, spying, fantastic real-time fleet combat...and great AI for single-player games.
  4. Jan 2, 2012
    A brilliant game on all accounts. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys real time space combat and turn based galactic warfare. The expansions added new races and new scenarios. Bear in mind that it is quite complicated and can have a lot going on but features a lot of diversity. Undoubtedly my favorite game.
  5. Jan 20, 2012
    Very complex game, with a steep learnign curve ... I've been strongly challenged by the game, yet I keep going back, because with every loss I learn a new lesson, and improve my ability to play the game.

I especially like how each race has it's own, specific way of moving around the map. I also like how the "tech tree" works - not every technology is guaranteed to be available to you in

I also like how the "tech tree" works - not every technology is guaranteed to be available to you in every game. So each game is an act of discovery! And, you can't beeline for "key" technologies, because you might never HAVE those technologies ...!

Definitely worth the low price on sellers like Steam.
  6. Sep 12, 2013
    SOTS Complete Collection is what the game should be in the release date.
    They learned from mistakes and added some nice content.
    The game is a complex (and some times too random) 4X strategy game that will test your patience, since it's not an easy game to learn and the space battles are not that straight forward. If you take too long to level technology, you'll end up with
    SOTS Complete Collection is what the game should be in the release date.
    They learned from mistakes and added some nice content.
    The game is a complex (and some times too random) 4X strategy game
    that straight forward.
    If you take too long to level technology, you'll end up with super-powerful enemies compared to you รง
    no matter what. This will happen a lot in the first gameplays and can be frustrating
    it's no casual strategy game.
    There are other space based 4X strategy games, but this one is really O.K.
    Master of Orion II for example, it's much more easier to understand and play.
    If you like these types of games I highly recommend Space Empires IV Deluxe
  7. Aug 30, 2015
    The absolute gold standard which all modern 4x space games should be compared to. Falling in the same category as noteable classics such as Master of Orion 2, you simply can't do better as far as originality and pure story telling goes!

There are no critic reviews yet.