8.5

1. Mar 21, 2013
    Looks great, game mechanics are fun, good bit of variety in landscape, monsters and equipment. On the other hand, it can be punishingly hard, especially in the beginning. Another one of my problems is that the balance between builder and arcade fighter did not always feel right to me... Also, it feels too slow for me. I had a lot of fun for about 20 hours. After that I just couldn't getLooks great, game mechanics are fun, good bit of variety in landscape, monsters and equipment. On the other hand, it can be punishingly hard, especially in the beginning. Another one of my problems is that the balance between builder and arcade fighter did not always feel right to me... Also, it feels too slow for me. I had a lot of fun for about 20 hours. After that I just couldn't get into it anymore. Expand
  2. May 21, 2011
    It's not Minecraft, even though it very obviously borrows a lot of elements from it. It's got much more character development and feels a lot more fleshed out - more decoration, more different areas and enemies, special events and NPCs... It's very addictive, though it doesn't have the huge replay value of Minecraft. Regardless, it is absolutely worth the ten euros.
  3. May 22, 2011
    An interesting alternative to Minecraft but the merge from 3D to 2D takes away more than you think. Nice as harmless little addition to your game collection - but not the all-immersive, deep experience it promises.
  4. Jun 19, 2011
    A pretty good game, well worth the 10 dollar price it currently has. The progression in the game is fun and the sheer amount of enemies and gear, as well as the variety of both, makes for a fun time exploring. Overall however, content is sparse in areas like end game gear and biome content. Fortunately that is the focus of the devs time right now.

In short, it's worth 10 dollars alone

In short, it's worth 10 dollars alone now, and with promises of more stuff being regularly added should only get better*.

*Unless Re-Logic pulls a Notch and goes on weekly vacations.
  5. Jul 10, 2012
    For the first four hours you will wonder where the time went, but after a while you begin to question "why?" Terraria is an amazing game, but it doesn't have the lasting appeal I would've liked. The developers solution to the games inevitable stagnation was to add more and more things to it, and to make things more difficult. By the time you pick up Terraria, your friends have already gotFor the first four hours you will wonder where the time went, but after a while you begin to question "why?" Terraria is an amazing game, but it doesn't have the lasting appeal I would've liked. The developers solution to the games inevitable stagnation was to add more and more things to it, and to make things more difficult. By the time you pick up Terraria, your friends have already got the best gear. If you play Terraria on a server with strangers, most of the time someone has set up that server to have a place to powertrip. Small issues in the game such as inventory organization begin to compound frustration by the time you reach over four hours of play. The games price tag is very reasonable, and I would recommend the game, but what it has in originality it lacks in lasting appeal. Expand
  6. Aug 4, 2011
    I don't know what all the raving about this game is; but if you like digging, then you'll certainly get a kick out of it! Otherwise, i just see no RPG element in trying to break bricks for 90% of the game.
  7. Aug 19, 2011
    First let me tell you my idea of fun so you can compare if you see things through my eyes. Call of duty is a mindless shooter that is just completely tedious, Elder scrolls FTW, Any rts game is god-like. Alright first off terraria is like an mmo. You need a friend to have fun. If you play alone, the max hours you will play is 20 hours and the average is 3 hours. This game is just a randomFirst let me tell you my idea of fun so you can compare if you see things through my eyes. Call of duty is a mindless shooter that is just completely tedious, Elder scrolls FTW, Any rts game is god-like. Alright first off terraria is like an mmo. You need a friend to have fun. If you play alone, the max hours you will play is 20 hours and the average is 3 hours. This game is just a random generator. Basically it just creates a world you strip down to bone and then restart on a new world and strip it down. If you have multiple friends the game is just funny because the most random things happen that will slaughter your friend or he will get stuck or even a cave will collapse on him and you will be dieing laughing cuz it might have taken you guys an hour to get where you were. So i give it a 5, if you have a friend its just a social game, if you have no friends than go buy something more dedicated to solo players. Expand
  8. Nov 9, 2011
    Tired of companies like Activision and EA selling you rehashes at $60 and then expecting you to pay much much more with content they held back? Yes they want a future of a copy and paste $100 game. Well, Terraria shows you how games should be. Not only is it only $10this game updates very frequently and they are huge updates. Best of all, they are free! So much more content in these freeTired of companies like Activision and EA selling you rehashes at $60 and then expecting you to pay much much more with content they held back? Yes they want a future of a copy and paste $100 game. Well, Terraria shows you how games should be. Not only is it only $10this game updates very frequently and they are huge updates. Best of all, they are free! So much more content in these free "DLC" than the big corporations give you, and this is made by a very small team. If they can afford to give you free DLC, surely Activision and EA can afford to give it to you. Nope. They just want as much money as they can get. Terraria is an amazing game. I have over 160 hours logged, according to Steam. It is a 2d sandbox game with unlimited possibilities. Literally! They update it with new content so often! If you defeat all the bosses and explore every biome, you can look for rare items, build with endless possibilities, and best of all, you can play online. There is always something you can do if you get bored. This is the best $10 investment I've ever made. $10 won't even get you a crappy map pack in Call of Duty. Try this game, you will get hooked. You will then realize you don't have to play the sellout junk Activision and EA are trying to sell you (and milk you for all you've got). Graphics don't make a game. It's all about game play. Expand
  9. Jul 2, 2011
    This game is simply amazing. It takes a few hours to figure everything out, but then it just gets better and better. If you think the idea of a 2D platformer / RPG / Minecraft mash-up sounds interesting, you should definitely play this game.
  10. Jun 20, 2011
    Picked up the game for the price of a good meal and progressed through it steadily. It has a nice combat setup similar to the Castlevania games on DS. Overall it felt unfinished at first, but now the game is seeing BIG regular updates each week, over 60 hours into it and still feeling great that new content is coming, already at patch 1.05 and the content and improvements just keepPicked up the game for the price of a good meal and progressed through it steadily. It has a nice combat setup similar to the Castlevania games on DS. Overall it felt unfinished at first, but now the game is seeing BIG regular updates each week, over 60 hours into it and still feeling great that new content is coming, already at patch 1.05 and the content and improvements just keep flowing, this game is leaving Minecraft in it's dust trail for me.

This games ratings have been flooded with what I can only describe as brain damaged geeks rating at 0 to bring the average score down, this games score will only improve over time and to rub it in Notch is taking ideas from it already.

You can play and like both games, competition is good for both games, even though they are so different in gameplay only the block placing is similar.
  11. Jun 28, 2011
    I just can't seem to put this down. With quirky graphics and entertaining exploits, I've been glued to Terraria for the past few weeks. This is a great example that 2D platformers still have relevance. Even though this game came from what seemed to be the shadow of Minecraft, It shines a light of its own. The depth of adventure in this will keep you up at night wanting more. TheI just can't seem to put this down. With quirky graphics and entertaining exploits, I've been glued to Terraria for the past few weeks. This is a great example that 2D platformers still have relevance. Even though this game came from what seemed to be the shadow of Minecraft, It shines a light of its own. The depth of adventure in this will keep you up at night wanting more. The multiplayer option further lengthens gameplay so you can explore and build with your friends. I would advise picking this one up for the $10 steam wants for it. Expand
  12. Jul 18, 2011
    Great game, got it on steam sale for a fiver, a week ago and already clocked up about 20 hours on it, love the exploring side of it, and the just five more minutes aspect of it.
    lots of times ive been about to save it and quit and ive just seen something in the background and played for another 30 mins
    A few on here mention about how it can get repetitive after 30 hrs or more, but crikey if i can get 30 hours out of a five pounds game, then its a good game indeed, plus with the updates adding and changing stuff each time, there is always a reason to come back for more.
    i could spend 40 pounds on a ps3 game for 10 hrs gameplay, and while a different style of game, this easily deserves a 10 based on the sheer amount of enjoyment to price alone
  13. Dec 19, 2011
    I like this game way better than Minecraft. Minecraft is ultra fun, but sadly, once you find diamond and make a pick axe out of it, it's over and it gets boring to play again. Terraria has NO end! Me and my friends have been playing this game nonstop for over three months! The enemies are super hard, which makes it fun to have to find the right gear to defeat it. After you defeat one ofI like this game way better than Minecraft. Minecraft is ultra fun, but sadly, once you find diamond and make a pick axe out of it, it's over and it gets boring to play again. Terraria has NO end! Me and my friends have been playing this game nonstop for over three months! The enemies are super hard, which makes it fun to have to find the right gear to defeat it. After you defeat one of the hardest bosses you ever though possible, there is an even harder one right after it! It goes on and on, and I don't think I will ever get bored of it. It is on the other hand not a perfect game, I don't really like the 2D screen it gives you, but it is easier to see enemies coming instead of being blown up by a Creeper all of a sudden like on Minecraft. It's only $10.00, where as Minecraft is $30.00, so you get a great deal, and all of the awesomeness on multiplayer as well! Expand
  14. Feb 4, 2012
    I LOL'd at all the haters that gave this game a 4 or less. What game were you playing?! This is a great 2D Platformer with so much to do and so many items to craft and build. Shallow gamers should stick to shallow games.
  15. Mar 5, 2013
    incredibly addicting. Even more addicting than binding of isaac. Points for longevity: 10/10
    I like how you can do what you want and in what order you want in this game. You can make better weapons, armor, guns etc. Gameplay: 10/10. Graphics are good. I think they could have been a little better but they are good enough: 8/10. Music and sounds are good but not great. 8/10. Ovreall still....
  16. Jul 21, 2012
    Addictive and fun, I've put over 100+ hours into this game in the last couple weeks, and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. I don't like to use wiki's or info sites when I play games like this, and have had a blast discovering each new thing I've found. I'm giving this game a 9 out of 10 only because there are a couple of punishing aspects to the game, that I think shouldn't existAddictive and fun, I've put over 100+ hours into this game in the last couple weeks, and have enjoyed almost every minute of it. I don't like to use wiki's or info sites when I play games like this, and have had a blast discovering each new thing I've found. I'm giving this game a 9 out of 10 only because there are a couple of punishing aspects to the game, that I think shouldn't exist in sandbox games: 1) Potions have a cooldown timer, and 2) Death reduces your armor (you can pay the nurse to get rid of this penalty, but it still feels harsh). These two things are the ONLY times I've ever thought "Hmm, not fun." when playing Terraria. Highly recommended, especially if you think you might like a combination of Minecraft + Metroid + Castlevania. It's even better when you play the multiplayer with a trusted friend. Well worth the ticket price of $9.99, if you're strapped for cash or looking for a really good deal, Steam routinely discounts it 50-75% off. Expand
  17. Jun 18, 2012
    This game is so fun. The multiplayer is amazing, its easy to join servers and making them is also easy. The game is 5-10 bucks and its a real bargain. Many players and a lot of items. This game is really fun. People compare it to Minecraft, but I find this BETTER than minecraft. For one, the gameplay is faster and you can make more out of your time than minecrafts hide in a cave type ofThis game is so fun. The multiplayer is amazing, its easy to join servers and making them is also easy. The game is 5-10 bucks and its a real bargain. Many players and a lot of items. This game is really fun. People compare it to Minecraft, but I find this BETTER than minecraft. For one, the gameplay is faster and you can make more out of your time than minecrafts hide in a cave type of game. This game has more items than minecraft and has a easy multiplayer, unlike minecraft's servers. Down side is that it can be a bit boring, but if your bored with minecraft, even the boring parts will seem more active than minecrafts. Expand
  18. Jul 16, 2012
    The game, in my personal opinion, is very interesting, I like it. The 2D dimension makes it somewhat special, because you see and understand a lot more, than in 3D. Yet you still don't know what is above or under you. The Character creation isn't that original like in Minecraft, but still very easy to use (If you do know RGB!). The feature where you can have items saved had slightly mixedThe game, in my personal opinion, is very interesting, I like it. The 2D dimension makes it somewhat special, because you see and understand a lot more, than in 3D. Yet you still don't know what is above or under you. The Character creation isn't that original like in Minecraft, but still very easy to use (If you do know RGB!). The feature where you can have items saved had slightly mixed feelings on my experience, but should be a nice addition. I think it's a game everyone should try, just like Minecraft. Both are actually, very different. I suggest you to give it a try, and you will, most likely, not regret this decision, I'm sure. Expand
  19. Feb 27, 2014
    Great exploration, great treasure-hunting, great combat, epic fights and a myriad of weapons make Terraria a true masterpiece. There is so much to do, even if all you decide to do is beat all the enemies. You can create or shape vast landscapes and housing, create artificial biomes and item farms, or just have fun beating the pulp out of enemies and bosses. I advise looking at the wikiGreat exploration, great treasure-hunting, great combat, epic fights and a myriad of weapons make Terraria a true masterpiece. There is so much to do, even if all you decide to do is beat all the enemies. You can create or shape vast landscapes and housing, create artificial biomes and item farms, or just have fun beating the pulp out of enemies and bosses. I advise looking at the wiki if you're new, in order to get some idea of what to do.

HUGE update with 1.2, completely FREE, improved so many aspects of the game and added great content. The developers genuinely care about their fan base. The game was only $2.50 on Steam sale and I played it over 200 hours single player.

My only complaint is that for multiplayer you have to type in each IP address to get onto the servers, would be a lot easier with a server list or quick-match option.
  20. Mar 6, 2013
    TL;DR A good time waster that has been abandoned by the devs. Terraria is an interesting experience that will probably result in people not knowing what they're doing at first, and then either sticking with it or quitting. One of the only problems is the difficulty and gear curve at first, and then later when hard mode is started. The game has a very slow start due to the fact that youTL;DR A good time waster that has been abandoned by the devs. Terraria is an interesting experience that will probably result in people not knowing what they're doing at first, and then either sticking with it or quitting. One of the only problems is the difficulty and gear curve at first, and then later when hard mode is started. The game has a very slow start due to the fact that you basically need a nightmare pickaxe, which takes a while to get. The game then repeats the curve once you enter hard mode, where you'll have about 4 hits to live with the common enemy. The great things about the game are the well done 8-bit graphics, versatility of the weapons and trinkets, progressive boss fights (though there could be a lot more), and the freedom to build whatever you want. Don't forget to invite a friend or an entire party as well! The only problem is the fact that the devs have essentially abandoned the game, so there will be no further updates unfortunately. While there is still quite a bit of content, you really have very little reason to play after getting a max character.There is also a lot of potential missing with the fact that there are only 4 bosses their hardmode counterparts, and I feel like there could have been more biomes featuring their own boss. One last big thing that might get some people is the grinding you have to do. Its part of the game, but to those who hate it, you might not last through those dry spells of action where it is required. Overall, its still a fun 2D platformer focusing on building and combat, though if you hate grinding and the current fact that it has been dropped, you might not enjoy it. Expand
  21. Jul 13, 2013
    I have only had 6 hours of play in this game, But I've enjoyed them. Its a bit daunting at first, As there is a lot of depth, And you are told almost nothing about what to do, But once you get it figured out, you'll want to play it a LOT. I want to say lots of people probably come here from minecraft, and a little warning. Its not about building. You'll get bored if you just want to build.I have only had 6 hours of play in this game, But I've enjoyed them. Its a bit daunting at first, As there is a lot of depth, And you are told almost nothing about what to do, But once you get it figured out, you'll want to play it a LOT. I want to say lots of people probably come here from minecraft, and a little warning. Its not about building. You'll get bored if you just want to build. Its about exploring and fighting. Expand
  22. Jul 21, 2013
    terraria is a great game, a 2d minecraft. terraria's inventory is gigantic for there is multiple weapons and miscellaneous. but this game can have some bugs, for instance I tried to summon one of the bosses (in night time) and he did not show up, probably car troubles. the world is gigantic for you can have small, medium, or large. with large it is huge it will take you a long time forterraria is a great game, a 2d minecraft. terraria's inventory is gigantic for there is multiple weapons and miscellaneous. but this game can have some bugs, for instance I tried to summon one of the bosses (in night time) and he did not show up, probably car troubles. the world is gigantic for you can have small, medium, or large. with large it is huge it will take you a long time for you to get to one end of the game to the other. terraria is a excellent game and worth it to buy. Expand
  23. Oct 15, 2013
    The problem with users reviewing is that they never take time to play the whole game. That said, this game is not a rip-off of Minecraft. Even Notch likes it, but oh no, reviewers never bother to gather information! If negative reviewers actually played the game, they would realize the game goes from 2D Minecraft to something more intense and much more varied. Not to mention there'sThe problem with users reviewing is that they never take time to play the whole game. That said, this game is not a rip-off of Minecraft. Even Notch likes it, but oh no, reviewers never bother to gather information! If negative reviewers actually played the game, they would realize the game goes from 2D Minecraft to something more intense and much more varied. Not to mention there's multiplayer, and the 2D CAN be invigorating to play with for some old-style recognition, and the music is just fun to hear. There are lots more monsters and items than in Minecraft, and much more bosses as well, giving more varied gameplay. Of course, with all this implemented, the world is limited and not infinitely generated, though it is indeed randomized each time you make a world. And with the current price of $2.50, it's essentially a must-buy. Heck, it's even a must-buy when it's $9.99. In short: more varied than Minecraft, less free than Minecraft, but is VERY different from Minecraft in general, if you get to actually know the game. Expand
  24. Jun 19, 2011
    The game is good, however, the developers are complete moronic idiots to say the least. It is a shame that they took such a potential looking game, and turned it into a money making machine, not giving a damn about their users. For instance, they 'copyright claim' every negative review of the game on youtube. I got my account banned because I criticized their game for having poor replayThe game is good, however, the developers are complete moronic idiots to say the least. It is a shame that they took such a potential looking game, and turned it into a money making machine, not giving a damn about their users. For instance, they 'copyright claim' every negative review of the game on youtube. I got my account banned because I criticized their game for having poor replay value. (Which it does, once you reach the endgame)

For that reason, these developers do not deserve your 10$, go spend it on a game where the developers will actually care about their customers.
  25. Jan 12, 2015
    Game is cool! At first time i played for many many time, and this time was spending with pleasure!
    But it WAS cool, because developers do not like to update it... Last update there was more than half-year!!! MORE THAN HALF-YEAR FOR ONE UPDATE!!!! Are you kidding me?!
    I think that developers do not care about the players.
  26. Sep 19, 2011
    One thing sums it all: worse than minecraft. I bought it for myself and two other friends when it was 2,5 dollar on steam. We played for 30 hours... but the game is so POINTLESS. After 10 hours, you will have whatever equipment you're aiming for... and your character just has it. Any server, any time - you have the things you got so far. And the other thing, the biggest sin of this game:One thing sums it all: worse than minecraft. I bought it for myself and two other friends when it was 2,5 dollar on steam. We played for 30 hours... but the game is so POINTLESS. After 10 hours, you will have whatever equipment you're aiming for... and your character just has it. Any server, any time - you have the things you got so far. And the other thing, the biggest sin of this game: none of your equipment breaks. It stays forever... alright, then what's the point of playing after you got all? After 15 hours, I had tuxedo, sunglasses, molten armour, the best sword, dark lance and minishark with 5k silver bullets; not to mention full HP. Then it just got pointless.

And other thing, building? There is no sense in building in terraria... you can achieve same effects in Gimp. Or in minecraft, but there you can have 3D buildings.

I wanted to say that if minecraft took some elements from terraria it'd be awesome, but well, 1.9 is coming in huge leaps, so i don't need to hope.
  27. Sep 1, 2013
    It's not bad, but the mining gets tedious and boring and finding anything useful is like rolling the dice. Once you start the game you're dumped into the game world with little to no idea as to what you're supposed to do and no instructions. Your 'guide' doesn't exactly provide much in the way of help either. If I hadn't seen a video on this game by Totalbiscuit I'd have had no idea what IIt's not bad, but the mining gets tedious and boring and finding anything useful is like rolling the dice. Once you start the game you're dumped into the game world with little to no idea as to what you're supposed to do and no instructions. Your 'guide' doesn't exactly provide much in the way of help either. If I hadn't seen a video on this game by Totalbiscuit I'd have had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. As I mentioned finding useful materials is a shot in the dark... literally. You dig around at random hoping to find something useful which gets tedious and boring. When night rolls around if you're not down in the depths your options are to try and fight off waves monsters or hide in your house (if you managed to build one) and hiding in your house till morning is boring, but trying to fight off waves of monsters in the dark is a nightmare. Expand
  28. Nov 14, 2013
    I tried very hard to like this game, I really did. I enjoy this style of game very much, but everything about Terraria was hard to enjoy. Mining and side-scrolling do not mix. You have to click on pixels in order to mine them and listen carefully just to decipher if you are actually in fact mining it at all. There are certain aspects (Like building a home with certain requirements thatI tried very hard to like this game, I really did. I enjoy this style of game very much, but everything about Terraria was hard to enjoy. Mining and side-scrolling do not mix. You have to click on pixels in order to mine them and listen carefully just to decipher if you are actually in fact mining it at all. There are certain aspects (Like building a home with certain requirements that allow various npcs to live there) that I found original and brilliant... I've tried to play this game several times, but every time I find myself thinking, "I could be spending this time on a different building game that is done well.' Expand
  29. Feb 10, 2012
    Terraria allows you to do a lot of things but at the end of your gaming session, you'll realize you have been doing absolutely nothing at all. It's slow, tedious, simplistic and has nothing to offer to mature gamers.
  30. Dec 3, 2011
    I tried so hard to like Terraria. I really, really did. For one thing, it was free. A friend bought it for me. It is a MAJOR waste when you can't learn to like something you didn't even pay for. Also, lots of my friends were playing it for a long time, and they wanted me to join them on their server, hence the free game. So my drive to like Terraria was threefold: it was free so itI tried so hard to like Terraria. I really, really did. For one thing, it was free. A friend bought it for me. It is a MAJOR waste when you can't learn to like something you didn't even pay for. Also, lots of my friends were playing it for a long time, and they wanted me to join them on their server, hence the free game. So my drive to like Terraria was threefold: it was free so it was wasteful not to play it, I didn't want to be rude and not play it with my friends who bought it for me, and I had heard from so many glowing reviews that there was this gem of a game somewhere beneath the surface.

Well I've tried, and tried, and I just can't get excited about Terraria. Anytime I play this game, I am bored stiff. Here's where I think the problem lies:

Yes, there's all the comparisons to Minecraft. Let me tell you, I don't give a crap about any of that. Yes , I've played Minecraft and I liked it a lot. No, I don't care if Terraria "ripped it off" or not. A game can rip of or be inspired by other games as much as it wants. If the end result is fun, we're all the more merry for it. So it's not that it's like Minecraft.

Same goes for all the comparisons to "Metroidvania" games. Fine with me, so it's not that it's like Metroidvania games. The problem, I believe, is that it's not ENOUGH like either a Metroidvania game or a Minecraft game. That's the feeling I couldn't shake when playing this... this game is just so... lukewarm. Let's look at it from the Minecraft side. As a Minecraft-esque game, i.e. a creative tool with adventure elements, it doesn't stand up. It's just not as fun to create things in 2d. You can't think of the crazy, creative ideas that you can in something like Minecraft because there's just one less plane to work with. On top of that, if you do want to approach it mainly as a way to let out your creativity, you are going to be sorely taxed as monsters crawl up your butt from every angle. You're going to be spending just as much material making yourself new weapons to deal with your enemies as you do making structures. There is too large a helping of action for the arm-chair architect. Also, your creativity will be stunted in the Crafting department. There is no playing around with materials and discovering new combinations here. If you have the raw goods in your inventory, what you can make with them is laid out before you. As a creative tool, Terraria just doesn't stand up. It's just not as good.

Now let's look at Metroidvania aspect. The same thing has happened here, the action and adventure has been deluded by the crafty-half. The game doesn't respond or play like your standard Metroid shooter/platformer. The physics of your character are clunky and your weapons imprecise. You can tell this game was NOT coded with simply high-quality side-scrolling action in mind.

What happens with this game is simply this: they tried to combine two niches and wound up watering down both. If you want to play a side-scrolling indie action game on the PC, for god sake, play Capsized or something. After coming back from that, you won't be able to stand Terraria. If you want to build something, play Minecraft. If you really are the niche player these programmers were looking for and you simply MUST have side-scrolling action and building/crafting in the same game... well... then I guess you will love this thing. If you ask me though, you'll only love it because there's nothing better out there in the genre at the moment, just this I gave this a negative score, despite the fact that the structure of the game is basically sound, because the game isn't even entertaining to me in a bad way. It is frustratingly bland.
  31. Oct 15, 2012
    It's hardly a "game", I'd call it a level editor for a mediocre platform game. And as a level editor, It's even not that good, because you edit the level with your character, while NPC-s attack. Very steep learning curve - you have to be constantly check wiki to figure out what you can and need to do, but once you get things going, you realize there's nowhere to go.
    It's cute, well done
    It's cute, well done for everything that was intended, but there's very little of it. "Motherlode", somewhat similar Flash game was 1/10 of the length, and had no crafting/building, but still felt times more interesting, and also rewarding in the end, unlike Terraria.
    I never got into Minecraft, but invested few weeks into Terraria and can honestly say, there's nothing to miss. Play it if you have *absolutely* nothing to do and Solitaire has lost even remains of its appeal.
  32. Aug 13, 2011
    The 2D Side Scroller Terraria, based on Minecraft, is a very charming game that appealed in every way, now being ruined by Re-Logic's updates meant to make the game " harder ". What do they actually mean by harder? More frustrating, annoying, grindy, and trial-and-error. Get it before it turns into a grind machine Minecraft clone.
  33. Sep 11, 2011
    Don't be fooled, its not some minecraft rip-off with 2D graphics, its actually so diffirent that you might love it even if you hated minecraft, and otherwise. But here you have more stuff to do, other than just building.
  34. Jan 28, 2012
    Terraria is a great game if you are still underground, digging, fighting monsters, and exploring. But what do you do after you are done? There is absolutely NOTHING to do after you are done. Build houses... you can't really build cool stuff in terraria. I have played the game for over 200 hours, but I want a refund. NOW PEOPLE KEEP ON SAYING MINECRAFT is BAD just because Notch stoppedTerraria is a great game if you are still underground, digging, fighting monsters, and exploring. But what do you do after you are done? There is absolutely NOTHING to do after you are done. Build houses... you can't really build cool stuff in terraria. I have played the game for over 200 hours, but I want a refund. NOW PEOPLE KEEP ON SAYING MINECRAFT is BAD just because Notch stopped devloping it. I am pretty sure Notch does not want to work on Minecraft for the rest of his life. I know I wouldn't. If you like Minecraft, which started everything, don't buy this game. Also, if you like to build, DEFINATELY, don't buy this game. Expand
  35. gas
    Aug 6, 2012
    I really tried to like this game, i usually tend to like more original concepts then uber mainstream games, anwyay i cant understand where is the fun in this game.
    Duno, for me digging for ages and try to build up some scenery/house/level or what we wanna call it is boring, i like to play real lego or the meccano more tbh.
    I honesly have the feeling that this game has not much to offer,
    I honesly have the feeling that this game has not much to offer, besdie the fact itself its quite creative as idea.
  36. May 21, 2011
    Basically this game is a 2D minecraft but without all the cool stuff you can build in minecraft, lifts etc. You can spend hours playing that is true but you will spend hours doing nothing really, just like minecraft. Very slow, nothing new, worse gameplay because it is 2D, no gamepad support, no decent resolution in fullscreen. Waste of 6 quid and 4 hours of my life.
  37. Jul 26, 2013
    Let me start by saying I have never played Minecraft. Now then, I simply cannot understand this game's popularity or high score. I've played this game for several hours, given it several second chances when I read about updates, and every time I've found this game to be an incredibly frustrating experience. The controls are stiff and unresponsive. The graphics are terrible even byLet me start by saying I have never played Minecraft. Now then, I simply cannot understand this game's popularity or high score. I've played this game for several hours, given it several second chances when I read about updates, and every time I've found this game to be an incredibly frustrating experience. The controls are stiff and unresponsive. The graphics are terrible even by pixelart standards. The music is irritating. The interface is confusing and incredibly unintuitive. The activities are dull and tedious, even when you have a friend join you. These activities are made worse by the fact that when your "world" is generated and you pop into it, every single monster that pops into the world with you automatically homes in on your position. This means that your attempts to complete the tedious activities are constantly interrupted by unrelenting attacks from monsters that you have to fend off by slowly and clumsily swinging your largely ineffective weapons at them. Trailers and advertisements for Terraria claim that somewhere at the end of all this monotony there is the reward of action and adventure, but I've watched some online videos of said adventure. Quite frankly the destination does not appear to justify the frustrating journey. I would give this one point for being a relatively fresh idea, but charging $10 for this ($15 when it was first released!) is tantamount to robbery. Even $5 is pushing it. Expand
  38. May 21, 2011
    I got this game on Steam solely because it was cheap, and I wanted to play an old school 2D platformer. Oh boy, what a terrible jumble and mess this game is. It tries to be Minecraft in 2D by giving the ability to build stuff no one cares about, has clunky gameplay, stability issues and is terribly boring. No amount of multiplayer can make this game fun for me. Also, it looks terrible.I got this game on Steam solely because it was cheap, and I wanted to play an old school 2D platformer. Oh boy, what a terrible jumble and mess this game is. It tries to be Minecraft in 2D by giving the ability to build stuff no one cares about, has clunky gameplay, stability issues and is terribly boring. No amount of multiplayer can make this game fun for me. Also, it looks terrible. There are indie games that were designed by single person and look better than this. This is not even a game, more like an operant conditioning experiment in pointless clicking. I wish I could get a refund. I would feel robbed even if this game was free. Expand
  39. May 22, 2011
    If you already have Minecraft, don't buy Terraria! If you don't have Minecraft, then buy it and still don't buy Terraria! Terraria is Minecraft, but 2D and ten times worse. It's the same thing except with less immersion, awful sprites, and an unclassy feeling to it.
  40. Aug 31, 2011
    Terraria is an endearing game at times. I wanted to love it, and kept diving back in hoping that something would click. It didn't. I know that Minecraft and Terraria are totally different games, but still Terraria borrows a lot from Minecraft but doesn't seem to get it right.
  41. Aug 9, 2012
    I appreciate why other people may like Terraria, however, i am not one of those people. This game is too complicated for its own good. It tries to simplify the explore-build-discover mindset with 2d graphics, and 'simple' looking menus. It falls far short in my opinion. It provides an instruction level close to that of IKEA. With no way to go but left or right, and tools hard to use andI appreciate why other people may like Terraria, however, i am not one of those people. This game is too complicated for its own good. It tries to simplify the explore-build-discover mindset with 2d graphics, and 'simple' looking menus. It falls far short in my opinion. It provides an instruction level close to that of IKEA. With no way to go but left or right, and tools hard to use and materials difficult to harvest, I could not get past 2 hours with this game. It has potential, but I am clearly not its demographic. Expand
  42. Jun 19, 2011
    This game is bad, and you should feel bad for playing it. It's like if minecraft (one of the worst and overrated games ever) had a baby with maple story (also garbage).
  43. May 27, 2011
    If you like Minecraft, you will like this; otherwise this game is trash. Old school DOS graphics. Figure it out for yourself how to play this because there is no documentation or real intuitiveness to what you are supposed to do. $10 is WAY overpriced; more like FREE to $1 max. It is a 16MB download on steam to give you an idea of how little disk space it wastes on your hard drive. TheIf you like Minecraft, you will like this; otherwise this game is trash. Old school DOS graphics. Figure it out for yourself how to play this because there is no documentation or real intuitiveness to what you are supposed to do. $10 is WAY overpriced; more like FREE to $1 max. It is a 16MB download on steam to give you an idea of how little disk space it wastes on your hard drive. The concept is there, but they need to spend some time on modernizing the game to make it appeal to me. Expand
  44. Jun 7, 2011
    When I saw a video about this game called 'Terraria', I thought the same thing as I think many people did; "this looks like minecraft". First I was pretty sure that it isn't going to get popular just by copying minecraft, but it did. Of course the game isn't a straight copy of minecraft, it's a lot more. I am just one of those persons who didn't enjoy the game one bit.
  45. Feb 11, 2012
    This is for the developers, and for the developers only. Do not support people who bribe people to write them good reviews. That is not how things are supposed to work.
  46. May 26, 2011
    Just...awful...
    It's like a poorly designed, unoriginal, messy, 2d, insubstantial, devoid of gameplay, emotionless, dull, repeditive, pointless and unintuitive version of minecraft with all the good bits taken out.
    Just...awful...
    if you enjoy this game, there's a good chance you'll enjoy lobotomy as well, as they both leave you with the same "wow....I don't feel happy or sad...I just feel like I wasted an hour of my existance" feeling....that is if you retain feeling.
  47. Jun 24, 2011
    This game is a complete rip-off of a well known game. It has no originality whatsoever and makes you feel like you just played a cheap bootlegged version of your favorite game. If this game came out 3 years ago, I would most likely say that it was creative, yet it has wonky build controls, few items, and the game does not even look good. I strongly believe that everyone who gave this aThis game is a complete rip-off of a well known game. It has no originality whatsoever and makes you feel like you just played a cheap bootlegged version of your favorite game. If this game came out 3 years ago, I would most likely say that it was creative, yet it has wonky build controls, few items, and the game does not even look good. I strongly believe that everyone who gave this a high review is probably crazy. Expand
  48. Jun 20, 2011
    Rips off minecraft and the concept is bad. Just can't bring myself to enjoy it. I mean, I don't really luike minecraft all that much but when you're playing a game that is a blantant rip-off...
  49. Oct 5, 2011
    A Minecraft copy. No comment. I gave 1 , 'couse Minecraft is a grate game... I'v bought it, i tried it, and now i hate it. It was a waste of time and money.
  50. Aug 26, 2012
    Minecraft ripoff.
    now before you hate on me, to call somthing a ripoff of what could be considered the most sucessful game ever, ioneering (or should isay actually making popular) the block building game type, then calling terraria minecraft ripoff is a comliment.
    Minecraft ripoff.

while minecraft uused to focus more on mining and building (now minecraft is nicking ideas from terraria) terraria is more about exploring and fighting bosses, and finding and crafthing a HUGE amount of loot.
    from what i heard this guy made the game for some mates that didnt like certain things about minecraft. when he released it it became hugely popular, and he did the amazing thig of then updating the game.

its a great game, ridiculously cheap, and even though i have barely ventured from my house in it, i have already clocked 11 hours!
  51. May 25, 2013
    You know, this really had me hooked for a while. But it didn't take long for the clunky crafting interface to get annoying (and the devs have given up on improving the game without fixing that). And even more so the looooong travels through the world, which takes simply forever! There is only a rather unhelpful, limited teleport functionality and that's it. Also, a map similar to thatYou know, this really had me hooked for a while. But it didn't take long for the clunky crafting interface to get annoying (and the devs have given up on improving the game without fixing that). And even more so the looooong travels through the world, which takes simply forever! There is only a rather unhelpful, limited teleport functionality and that's it. Also, a map similar to that tools like "Terrafirma" offer should really have been included in the game (maybe combined with a "fog of war"). The world is so big that it's incredibly annoying to have to search for resources and remember the cave structure on top of that.
    So overall I like the combat, the RPG aspects, the crafting possibilities. And I would've really loved to discover more of those things. But the downsides described have absolutely destroyed my enthusiasm and make it feel like the game is wasting my time.
  52. Jun 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has absorbed more of my time than any other game for at least the last 2 years. It has beautiful pixel art, the platforming mechanics feel just right. I'm not hugely keen on the weapon swinging animations but they can be forgiven.

I like the Castlevania style gameplay and the fact that it has the random level generation of Spelunky which I also enjoyed. Obviously the Minecraft influence is strong but the result is a completely different feeling game which obviously takes influences from lots of different areas. To call it a rip off would be like calling every open world game with vehicles every made a Grand Theft Auto rip off. Absurd, I know!

I would definitely recommend giving this a chance. It feels a bit slow at first but there are so many weapons to find and so many gadgets to use that totally change the way that you play. From jetpacks to grappling hooks to guns and swords. There's also multiple boss fights and different biomes and lots of clothes and armour. The game is nowhere near finished either and new content is added to the game very frequently.

I'm actually appalled at some of the hate this game has garnered from Minecraft fans. I like Minecraft for very different reasons to Terraria. It plays in a very different way and you find yourself with very different aims in either game. there definitely tends to be more emphasis on building in Minecraft. I know Notch is a big fan of Terraria.
  53. Nov 30, 2011
    Vastly superior to Minecraft. More content, more fun, more things to do, and the developers aren't greedy. Plus the game is only 10 dollars and almost always on sale for 5.
  54. Mar 12, 2012
    There's a lot of obvious parallels between Terarria and Minecraft, but Redigit's masterpiece achieves a much greater depth than Notch's effort. With a greater emphasis on combat and exploration, it's obvious from the start that Terraria is something truly unique. Fans of Castlevania will enjoy the gorgeous retro, pixelated 2D graphics. There truly is a huge amount of content, and withThere's a lot of obvious parallels between Terarria and Minecraft, but Redigit's masterpiece achieves a much greater depth than Notch's effort. With a greater emphasis on combat and exploration, it's obvious from the start that Terraria is something truly unique. Fans of Castlevania will enjoy the gorgeous retro, pixelated 2D graphics. There truly is a huge amount of content, and with regular updates this game is a steal at $10. Expand
  55. Jul 23, 2011
    This game is very... very FUN! It is a 2d sandbox game where you can build things and fight. I think the building part of the game is taken away because of the fact that it is 2d and that i like to adventure and fight bosses. The multiplayer is very fun. Hosting the game was very easy and very fast which made the experience in multiplayer much more fun. However, the only down side toThis game is very... very FUN! It is a 2d sandbox game where you can build things and fight. I think the building part of the game is taken away because of the fact that it is 2d and that i like to adventure and fight bosses. The multiplayer is very fun. Hosting the game was very easy and very fast which made the experience in multiplayer much more fun. However, the only down side to Terraria is there isn't enough content to continue my addiction to this game. After I got the highest tier items in the game, it just got boring. But the thing is that fun was well worth the 10$. Expand
  56. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is probably the most overrated thing i have ever seen. It is full of bugs, and is charging 10-20 dollars. The game needs fixing and mod support, it is boring after you get everything, as there is no point to continue, do to the bad building engine with limited materials. Very low replay value. Not worth buying unless its on sale for five dollars or less. How this is not a gameThis game is probably the most overrated thing i have ever seen. It is full of bugs, and is charging 10-20 dollars. The game needs fixing and mod support, it is boring after you get everything, as there is no point to continue, do to the bad building engine with limited materials. Very low replay value. Not worth buying unless its on sale for five dollars or less. How this is not a game still in alpha or beta is beyond me. This is NOT a finished project. 5/10 Expand
  57. May 14, 2012
    At one point I liked this better than Minecraft. Not for the crafting or building that much as for the adventuring. The RPG elements were a big plus for it. But then the big update came and made me drop the game forever. Before the update if you wanted to be fast you got a shadow armor. You wanted to be strong you got a molten armor. The game was balanced. After the update they put threeAt one point I liked this better than Minecraft. Not for the crafting or building that much as for the adventuring. The RPG elements were a big plus for it. But then the big update came and made me drop the game forever. Before the update if you wanted to be fast you got a shadow armor. You wanted to be strong you got a molten armor. The game was balanced. After the update they put three new kinds of armor that made the old armors useless. The whole game now was about getting enough adamantite to make adamantite armor with your favorite helmet and that was all. After you made that armor the game was again a piece of cake and all other armors were just worse than your's. Before the update there were so many fun ways to play your character which were lost after the update. After the update you could combine most accessories and keep like double in quantity active on you so more customization options were lost since you can now hold practically all useful accessories at the same time instead of choosing a playstyle based on the few you could keep on you.

Most unbalancing update I've ever seen in a game. Would be 9/10 without this update. Would be 10/10 if the update managed to keep the balance instead of adding a few uber-items.
  58. Jan 17, 2012
    Awesome game with friends. It is like metroid and minecraft smashed together into a fun little romp of fun. Play with friends !!! Not only does it allow the game to be easier, but it allows for other social benefits such as chuckling hysterically as your friend falls 400 feet into lava.
  59. Apr 14, 2012
    i looked video's over Terraria and i thought why i dont buy it? that was a mistake 10 euro's is too mush for me it's better like 5 euro i dont like the game anymore i play'd it 2 days and after that i stopped playing it for me it was a waste of monney
  60. May 10, 2012
    This game is unique. I found it enjoyable but I didn't catch on for me. This is pretty much a 2d, more action packed survival mode for Minecraft.

Ignore this game and just purchase Minecraft
  61. Feb 20, 2013
    I remember defending this game tooth and nail from those who thought it was an opportunistic attempt at surfing on Minecraft's success. I remember advertising it as a "really good Castlevania and Minecraft mixup at a very fair price", and playing countless hours on it. I guess most of this is still true, but ultimately I realized I was just too much "into the game" to see its real worth atI remember defending this game tooth and nail from those who thought it was an opportunistic attempt at surfing on Minecraft's success. I remember advertising it as a "really good Castlevania and Minecraft mixup at a very fair price", and playing countless hours on it. I guess most of this is still true, but ultimately I realized I was just too much "into the game" to see its real worth at that time: the time where I didn't finish the game. That's right, this game is no Minecraft, it has an end, and it would be perfectly fine if it weren't for its key detail: being a sandbox game. So yeah, my complaint is that once you finished farming for the best gear, there's nothing left to do for you, unless you are into building which is not as good as other games of this kind (despite I love 2D, retro, and the fact that this game was the first to take said elements into sandbox building). There were some updates after I left: it was my understanding that they were basically just extensions of the same thing: new gear to farm for, and some additional thing here and there. It's a shame, it could have been better than this, the fact that the team admittedly abandoned it (except lately I've been hearing about an update?) didn't help. Still, it's a good game. I think of it much like GTA III, it striked me because it was a kind of game I loved brought to date with the innovations of latest gaming, but ultimately in itself it was boring and lacked features that would have been, luckily for us, added later. I still think it deserves a seven, although the negative things about it are really tempting me to click on the yellow scores, but I have to admit that it's good and not all of those 100 hours I played were out of being hypnotized by farming or something. Expand
  62. EDB
    Jun 22, 2012
    I found this game boring, ultimately. The combat is not very fun compared to most scrolling games, the exploration is interesting at first but ultimately becomes unrewarding, and after the endgame there's nothing to do.
  63. Sep 10, 2012
    I had fun with this game the first time through. After that it is very boring. You would think there would be more to reach when you get down to the bottom but it is just lava. There is no real reason to gear up with obsidian etc, because there is nothing to beat. The "dungeon" doesn't yield anything worth the trip, you can craft gear that's way better, so there is no point in gearing upI had fun with this game the first time through. After that it is very boring. You would think there would be more to reach when you get down to the bottom but it is just lava. There is no real reason to gear up with obsidian etc, because there is nothing to beat. The "dungeon" doesn't yield anything worth the trip, you can craft gear that's way better, so there is no point in gearing up for it. The "world bosses" don't drop anything fabulous and are just there to see how fast you can kill them. There are hours and hours to be wasted here, but there is no point to any of it, and you will ask yourself what was it all for? There was nothing to do with all that gear, no climax, no end game, nothing. Also the developer has dropped the game, there are no more updates. What you see is what you get. Steam could remove the "free content updates" as there are no more coming. He also stated he would not release the game for open development as he may not approve in the direction it goes. Worth a pass through, worth 5-$10, but I can honestly say I will never play it again. Expand
  64. Dec 9, 2012
    It gets very boring fast, not being able to create really interesting good looking structures like you could imagine. Minecraft had a payoff of a really nice looking 3-D art structure to make you feel proud of yourself, well Terraria tried it but the result didn't end good.
  65. Mar 26, 2013
    I just love this game, it was more than i was expecting. My friend who's name shall remain sufficient for now gifted me this game and i played it instantly since there is so much rave and talk about it. After the first hour of playing with my friend I was nearly addicted. If I were you I would play this game. It is only about 2.50 USD on steam. Enjoy
  66. Jun 30, 2013
    When I was browsing through steam looking for a budget game to play on my spare time, I came up with Terraria. I was hooked in by the trailer. It showed me a mix of platform shooter/minecraft type of game. As a kid I loved to play platform shooters in the arcades. I must say that my first experience with Terraria was positive and the game really sucked me in and I even lost some sleepWhen I was browsing through steam looking for a budget game to play on my spare time, I came up with Terraria. I was hooked in by the trailer. It showed me a mix of platform shooter/minecraft type of game. As a kid I loved to play platform shooters in the arcades. I must say that my first experience with Terraria was positive and the game really sucked me in and I even lost some sleep because of it. I was sure that it would be a great experience, I was right and wrong at the same time.

Pros:
    + The game is highly entertaining for as long as it lasts.
    + A perfect mix of farming materials, shooting, slashing and killing bosses
    + It has a vast variety of objects to craft
    + If the 1.2 patch will be free for PC it's a great addition to the game.

Cons:
    - This one is a HUGE minus. The game's monster killing part for me was very short. It took my around 40 hours to be prancing around in full Hallowed armor. I didn't feel like I was rushing through it either. After killing the same bosses again in few minutes I was done with Terraria. The boss encounters didn't provide me with a challenge that I wanted in the first place. I didn't build any arenas or make the encounters easier, simply put the bosses were too easy in my opinion.
    - I felt that the balance between melee and ranged weapons was bad. There's no point in using melee weapons because ranged weapons/magic will get the job done much more easily than the melee weapons do.
    - Building in 2-D wasn't very appealing to me and discovering new caves or creating new worlds didn't add much to the game.
    - Playing an already easy game in multiplayer will just break it, since afaik the boss HP does not scale with the amount of players facing the boss. I realize this would be hard to program since servers can support so many players but still I feel it would be necessary to make killing the bosses even remotely challenging.

Conclusion:
    I think the game was well worth the money I spent on it. I mean 40 hours of fun for 10 is something very special these days, compared to the 50€ you spend on brand new games, which can't buy you more than 12-20 hours of fun. However, I would call it a casual game for younger/inexperienced audiences. If you're looking for a game that challenges you (and your friends), look elsewhere.
  67. Sep 30, 2013
    Fantastic game with great support, though lacking a story. There is a very good progression system that doesn't have to be linear. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I recommend playing the game with friends. To not do so is to tempt insanity due to isolation. Some game mechanics could use a optional tutorial for those too lazy to go to the wiki. I look forward to the update tomorrow. slimesFantastic game with great support, though lacking a story. There is a very good progression system that doesn't have to be linear. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I recommend playing the game with friends. To not do so is to tempt insanity due to isolation. Some game mechanics could use a optional tutorial for those too lazy to go to the wiki. I look forward to the update tomorrow. slimes with freaking umbrellas! Need more be said people? Then I will speak more unto the creative capabilities. Sadly limited to 2d, this allows for some interesting design concepts. I am more than happy with it though, as my steam screenshots will begin to attest. "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn." H.P. Lovecraft. Expand
  68. Dec 7, 2013
    Frankly one of the best games on Steam. Contrary to popular belief, it has little to do with Minecraft; Minecraft is a building game with some adventure elements, whereas Terraria is an adventure game with some building elements. Much more so than the building, exploring is the key of Terraria, with actually fun gameplay (unlike Minecraft) and progression galore. Best played with friends,Frankly one of the best games on Steam. Contrary to popular belief, it has little to do with Minecraft; Minecraft is a building game with some adventure elements, whereas Terraria is an adventure game with some building elements. Much more so than the building, exploring is the key of Terraria, with actually fun gameplay (unlike Minecraft) and progression galore. Best played with friends, but it's still serviceable in single player. Also recently got a major content update, with more on the way. Heartily recommended to anyone who's up for some Metroidvania-ish gameplay. Expand
  69. Oct 29, 2013
    At first I thought everything was about MC (Mindcraft) I had no idea Terraria was even a game. I soon learned about it from watching Toby Turner (Tobuscus), but still never picked it up, or even both downloading it for free. While tones of of my friends still played MC a few started playing it. Then it got to the point where one of my friend gave me a free copy they had and I tried it outAt first I thought everything was about MC (Mindcraft) I had no idea Terraria was even a game. I soon learned about it from watching Toby Turner (Tobuscus), but still never picked it up, or even both downloading it for free. While tones of of my friends still played MC a few started playing it. Then it got to the point where one of my friend gave me a free copy they had and I tried it out once still didn't like it that much. That when I was still so heavy into MC that I though all other games like MC where not worth playing.

one of my friends a few months later then asked if we can play Terraria and like always I said idk its not as good as MC, but I still said i would give it a shot. He helped me throw out the game teaching me how to play and what to do and what not to do and ever since that day I kind of am hooked on it. I went back on MC about 10 days later and was this doesn't feel the same anymore. Way to go u won a place in my heart.
  70. Oct 29, 2013
    Terraria is the second best game I've played, first being MC. Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, it got my interest since I was finding an awesome game in my computer. anyways, thanks for your awesome game, Andrew "Redigit" Spinks!
  71. Nov 26, 2013
    I bought Terraria to fill time a resource that I had in abundance, a couple of months ago and began playing it on "medium core" difficulty. After reaching hard-mode and continuing for quite some time thereafter, I must conclude that the game is pretty good.

My first impressions were not very positive it took a while for me to work out the controls and get a feel for the game and all of that could have been avoided had the developers thought fit to include a tutorial or introduction of some sort. The beginning of the game was rather slow, too, being mainly filled with clunky melee combat and mining.

Had I been busy, I would probably have abandoned Terraria because of the slow start but, with a lot of time to waste, I played for long enough to acquire decent equipment and reach hard-mode, where the game really begins. The game play later on was well worth it.

I did not expect to enjoy the sandbox house-building aspects that Terraria borrows from Minecraft. I was looking for a fun platformer. I was wrong the building elements drew me in completely. They're incredibly well executed, fun, cathartic and brilliantly integrated into the game play. There's nothing quite like the feeling of relief that one gets from a perfectly timed retreat to one's self-built refuge in Hell.

I'd recommend Terraria to anyone with a lot of time to play it and patience in spades. It is both fun and rewarding.
  72. Jun 2, 2014
    When you first time play this, you will probably lost time sense for couple of days. It will be very hard to stop playing this flawless game. Giving this game 9 out of 10 because it has no endgame, but I hope developers will work on it. They support this game with patches, promised to add achievements and start adding some quests. Looking forward to play this game another 500 hours afterWhen you first time play this, you will probably lost time sense for couple of days. It will be very hard to stop playing this flawless game. Giving this game 9 out of 10 because it has no endgame, but I hope developers will work on it. They support this game with patches, promised to add achievements and start adding some quests. Looking forward to play this game another 500 hours after some big content patch. Expand
  73. Jun 5, 2014
    Get a group of friends, build things, adventure, and fight things. It's a great game. I only gave it a 9 because every once and a while your friends won't all be on the same page, and you can have some boring spells, also connecting everyone together is sometimes a huge pain, hamachi can be flaky sometimes. In general it's pretty addicting though, and has so many different things you can do.
  74. Oct 26, 2014
    I was genuinely surprised at how much I found myself enjoying this. The combat is a total joy, the controls are solid, exploration is fun with the numerous biomes, building is fun and very customizable (if a little hard), it's got a very nice style (being one of the VERY few games that's managed to make retro graphics look good), and there's a lot of ways to customize your appearance, fromI was genuinely surprised at how much I found myself enjoying this. The combat is a total joy, the controls are solid, exploration is fun with the numerous biomes, building is fun and very customizable (if a little hard), it's got a very nice style (being one of the VERY few games that's managed to make retro graphics look good), and there's a lot of ways to customize your appearance, from some awesome looking armor sets to vanity clothing that pays homage to other games (one of my best moments was finding out that you could get clothing to look like the Ice Climbers. Don't judge me pls).

My only real problem with the game is that like many other sandbox games it gets old after a while. That, and new players are going to find their inital experience somewhat confusing. However, if you're looking for a new time sink, you can't do much better than Terraria.
  75. Jan 1, 2015
    I see nothing wrong with this game.

It does lack tutorials, but not many games have that now adays. And anyways, you have the guide, which helps you check what you can craft with this certain item. The lack of tutorial is actually a good thing to me, it makes exploring and seeing what I can use this new material I got for really enjoyable. All-in-all this is my favourite game of ALL
    I see nothing wrong with this game.

All-in-all this is my favourite game of ALL TIME. While the second is awesomenauts.
    I very heavily suggest you to try this game. Especially if you like survival games or have a friend who has the game as well (two player is amazing, though it's sadly difficult to make a server). After you finish the game once, and start getting bored. Just take a break from the game, maybe 3-4 months or so, and then you will be able to feel the full joy from the game again, discluding the exploring part.
  76. Jul 19, 2011
    When I first laid my eyes on this game I didn't think of it as a Minecraft clone at all. The trailer really made me interested, it looked more like an adventure, RPG game than a Minecraft copy. Terraria is exactly that - Adventure. Despite what a lot says about Terraria is being a Minecraft clone, I almost 100 percent disagree. Sure they are a like when it comes to some parts of the game,When I first laid my eyes on this game I didn't think of it as a Minecraft clone at all. The trailer really made me interested, it looked more like an adventure, RPG game than a Minecraft copy. Terraria is exactly that - Adventure. Despite what a lot says about Terraria is being a Minecraft clone, I almost 100 percent disagree. Sure they are a like when it comes to some parts of the game, but that's just required for this type of genre. Battlefield and Call of Duty is even more clones than Minecraft and Terraria.

Terraria is a Wonderful, amazing game that will bring you a lot of pleasure if you are into adventuring. During my, so far, 200 hours of game-play - I have never felt bored, even if I was doing the same thing for hours.
  77. Jun 21, 2011
    Terraria is by far one of the best 2-D-survival, role-playing, side-scrolling games I have ever bought on Steam, and I've been playing it for 123 hours now. You can consider it to be a 2-D version of Minecraft, but it's not. It was built on the same concept, perhaps, but despite Terraria's limitations in graphics, it has so much potential beyond Minecraft. Randomly generated worlds thatTerraria is by far one of the best 2-D-survival, role-playing, side-scrolling games I have ever bought on Steam, and I've been playing it for 123 hours now. You can consider it to be a 2-D version of Minecraft, but it's not. It was built on the same concept, perhaps, but despite Terraria's limitations in graphics, it has so much potential beyond Minecraft. Randomly generated worlds that are small, medium or large; interesting, and almost seeming endless, exploration; online multiplayer; NPC's that move into your homes which you can buy stuff from them and/or sell it; infinite durability for tools and weapons; only losing your coins when you die; all the items you have for your own character get transferred; crafting potions and acquiring a numerous variety of weapons, clothing and other accessories; fighting challenging enemies and bosses; and so much more. This game is on beta version 1.0.4 and the new update which is 1.0.5 is going to add even more content. There have been rumors that the price may increase as more content is added. Overall, it has been the best $10 ever spent for a game so far, so if any of you have an extra $10 in your Paypal account and/or credit/debit card, make an account on Steam if you haven't and buy it now! You will not be disappointed. Expand
  78. Jul 23, 2011
    Good game, i got this on a bargain offer through steam, like £1.75. its a good fun sandbox game. i know its early in the game's life but it does need some more features, monsters, npcs, crafting recipes and secrets. the dev says there is more features to come and they will be free
  79. Jan 21, 2012
    This game is always in the top 10 most played steam games, with about 20,000 players on daily. Next to kings like TF2, CS and Skyrim. Ignore the red reviews and just ask yourself if this is something you could enjoy, BEFORE buying it. 407 positive reviews to 56 negative... And every negative is upset it's like minecraft! They make no secrets about that, it's obvious before purchase.This game is always in the top 10 most played steam games, with about 20,000 players on daily. Next to kings like TF2, CS and Skyrim. Ignore the red reviews and just ask yourself if this is something you could enjoy, BEFORE buying it. 407 positive reviews to 56 negative... And every negative is upset it's like minecraft! They make no secrets about that, it's obvious before purchase. Then it has tons of rad wiring traps and explosives and lighting and rediculous amounts of custom weapons, accessories, combinations, clothes armor and even ammo types. If you don't feel any nostalgia for the 2D era you should acknowledge that before you even consider buying, because it takes an imagination to lose yourself in a platform world with no ending. That being said I'm 70 hours into just building and digging mines, and I couldn't be having more fun. I played minecraft for 5 hours and it has WAY less going on than terraria. 20000 active steam players a day can't be wrong. Expand
  80. Aug 23, 2011
    The first thing I can say about this game is that it's NOT a rip-off of Minecraft. Yes, it has mining and crafting. Yes, the word "biome" gets tossed around a lot in discussions of both...and that's about it. In Terraria, you mine because you need gear to get to the next step in the game. There are no circuits or minecart tracks here- just better gear so you can fight stronger monsters andThe first thing I can say about this game is that it's NOT a rip-off of Minecraft. Yes, it has mining and crafting. Yes, the word "biome" gets tossed around a lot in discussions of both...and that's about it. In Terraria, you mine because you need gear to get to the next step in the game. There are no circuits or minecart tracks here- just better gear so you can fight stronger monsters and more powerful bosses. Past a certain point, there's very little mining at all: you proceed mostly by fighting monsters and finding chests. The game isn't perfect, though: I find that there's a bit of a gap between the gear you'll get from digging underground versus the gear you need to fight the next level of enemies. At one point it almost forms a mobius loop of "You need X sword to beat Y boss and you need to beat Y boss to get X sword". The bosses are also unimaginative in the sense that they don't really vary their attacks or present you with unique challenges- it's mostly just a grind. Also, the fact that you mine for advancement means the ores you find quickly become obsolete- you'll find yourself just ignoring large amounts of ores just because they do diddleysquat for you past a certain point. Still, Terraria is a cheap game that will keep you entertained for a LONG time, and the devs are constantly updating the game, so it can only get better from here. Expand
  81. Aug 18, 2011
    It's a fun game - I logged about 70 hours or so. The crafting, item grind and building of homes is really the addictive part of the game. Like every other game it gets tedious after a while. The low-level mobs spawn too frequently and are more annoying than challenging. Their combat tactics are about 80% bump and collide for damage and 20% of them lob projectiles of some sort which is veryIt's a fun game - I logged about 70 hours or so. The crafting, item grind and building of homes is really the addictive part of the game. Like every other game it gets tedious after a while. The low-level mobs spawn too frequently and are more annoying than challenging. Their combat tactics are about 80% bump and collide for damage and 20% of them lob projectiles of some sort which is very limited and repetitive for a modern game. You'll find yourself thrilled at first and soon be asking yourself when will it end... A good value if you get it at the $5 sale point on steam. Expand
  82. Jul 22, 2012
    I can't remember the last time I got so many hours out of a game that cost so few dollars. Since the game is pretty much user-defined from the get-go, the only real limit is your imagination.
  83. Jun 28, 2011
    "8"Awesome game. Not gonna give 10 since it is "perfect" and nearly no games are perfect but still HIGH 9. Devs are awesome, even i see many negative who say they suck etc. since they update game often with good updates, unlike minecraft. Game has similarities as minecraft, but MC is building game and Terraria is adventure mainly and some building involved, not much mainly houses for NPC"8"Awesome game. Not gonna give 10 since it is "perfect" and nearly no games are perfect but still HIGH 9. Devs are awesome, even i see many negative who say they suck etc. since they update game often with good updates, unlike minecraft. Game has similarities as minecraft, but MC is building game and Terraria is adventure mainly and some building involved, not much mainly houses for NPC 's and possibly farms and stuff like that. Terraria has many weapons, armors, special items,spells, buff potions etc. Terraria is kinda like minecraft in graphs, both unique, not great but that is how it should be, except MC has texture packs. And the new guide is actually HELPFUL when he tells crafting recipes (kinda). And also monsters, that are very many different. Well i got bored to this game after MANY awesome hours since had collected every items, killed every boss 10 times, except skeletron and now start playing again and find many new items, new monster new biome and all that just in what, 1-1,5 month when minecraft would have given possibly a map and some random tiny things and bug fixes.

Now if u still think Terraria is ripoff from Minecraft, let me say 1 thing. Stuff that Terraria has and Minecraft has are REAL items and materials like sand dirt stone etc. so materials aren't ripoff, then gameplay. 2d and 3d tiny different and then bigger BUILDING and ADVENTURE. Minecraft is mainly building and Terraria some building but mainly adventure. And I like both Minecraft and Terraria A LOT and cost only ~25â
  84. Apr 15, 2012
    It's not a bad game at all, but the progress is kind of linear and the people you will meet online are just bunch of **** Everyone has the best armor and weapons, every second nickname contains awesome or epic... Just way too much to bear for me. But otherwise, I enjoyed playing it for few days, however I don't see it worth spending 10 Euros like i did. Tere's much more cheaper games outIt's not a bad game at all, but the progress is kind of linear and the people you will meet online are just bunch of **** Everyone has the best armor and weapons, every second nickname contains awesome or epic... Just way too much to bear for me. But otherwise, I enjoyed playing it for few days, however I don't see it worth spending 10 Euros like i did. Tere's much more cheaper games out there, that will satisfy you and keep you playing for much longer. Expand
  85. Jul 14, 2011
    When Terraria was released, I passed. I kept seeing ads and still passed. It wasn't until I saw what people were making in the game (i.e. Super Mario and Bowser Pixel Art) and saw a video of Toby Turner playing that I decided to pay $10 for it on Steam. I started playing at around 9pm. It is now 3am and I just stopped for the night; although it took great effort to stop. Here is theWhen Terraria was released, I passed. I kept seeing ads and still passed. It wasn't until I saw what people were making in the game (i.e. Super Mario and Bowser Pixel Art) and saw a video of Toby Turner playing that I decided to pay $10 for it on Steam. I started playing at around 9pm. It is now 3am and I just stopped for the night; although it took great effort to stop. Here is the layout: A random world generates from the size you choose (small, medium, large). You start with the basics tools and set off to spelunk in a 2D platform game that seems to have endless depth. The difficultly increases the deeper you go, reminding me a little of Dante's Inferno. It has a definitely feel of Castlevania 2, with the night bringing worse creatures and a curse. So, you fight off the monsters while trying to explore deeper and deeper. What you don't realize is that you have built a town from the mud, sticks, and stone. This brings a nurse and a merchant at first. Only when you have crafted your first golden sword do you realize that you are addicted. You must go deeper to see what else lies in wait. What treasure will you find? What heights will you build to? *sigh* Sorrowfully, I have to work tomorrow and this game will be in my dreams. Simple, yet it is only limited by your willingness to explore and by your imagination to build. This has so much depth for such a simple little game. Expand
  86. Jun 25, 2011
    Of course many are offering this experience as a cheap knock-off of Minecraft's success, when in fact, its a powerhouse of an indie game, and surpasses Minecraft's core experiences by far. At most, similarities found in the games are their crafting systems and the possibility of some freeform building, which differ greatly when comparing both expieriences. But by offering an intense 2DOf course many are offering this experience as a cheap knock-off of Minecraft's success, when in fact, its a powerhouse of an indie game, and surpasses Minecraft's core experiences by far. At most, similarities found in the games are their crafting systems and the possibility of some freeform building, which differ greatly when comparing both expieriences. But by offering an intense 2D sandbox expierience that offers a multitude of mobs, an old-school RPG expierience, tons of biomes with secrets located in the skies and underground, and an evergrowing slew of updates providing diverse new items, power-ups, weapons, and enemies, Terraria delivers with astounding gameplay that still leaves me addicted to this date. Re-Logic, well done. Expand
  87. Jul 12, 2011
    This game is much more than a rehash of Minecraft. Less emphasis is placed on construction, and more is placed on exploration and actual gameplay. The difficulty scales well for anybody from casual players to the more hardcore, and the game rewards thoughtful building to protect yourself from enemies.
  88. Jan 17, 2015
    I have more hours in this game than I ever thought was possible. I played minecraft before I played this game, and I was convinced I would feel bored by terraria because I had played minecraft. However Terraria is different enough and polished enough to feel like a completely different experience. Yes, you can build in terraria, yes there are circuits and you spend a lot of time diggingI have more hours in this game than I ever thought was possible. I played minecraft before I played this game, and I was convinced I would feel bored by terraria because I had played minecraft. However Terraria is different enough and polished enough to feel like a completely different experience. Yes, you can build in terraria, yes there are circuits and you spend a lot of time digging for ore just like minecraft, that's where the similarities end. Terraria has a vast amount of weaponry to use, unique and difficult boss fights, graphics that look more natural and are far more interesting to look at than minecraft's default textures.

Minecraft is more of a sandbox builder while terraria is more of an actual 2D action RPG game. Despite what I thought before I played Terraria, it's clear now that this game is a unique masterpiece.
  89. Jun 20, 2011
    This game is incredibly amazing. I can't even believe it's 10 dollars. It's extremely addictive and filled with hours of fun, whether you play it alone or with friends. The game goes from zombies to giant worms to flying eye balls and tons of other unique npcs to different places to explore, such as dungeons, jungles, and other places you will find on your adventure. The game is filledThis game is incredibly amazing. I can't even believe it's 10 dollars. It's extremely addictive and filled with hours of fun, whether you play it alone or with friends. The game goes from zombies to giant worms to flying eye balls and tons of other unique npcs to different places to explore, such as dungeons, jungles, and other places you will find on your adventure. The game is filled with tons of different items, giving you a whole mess of items to craft and provide different ways to play the game making it possible to engage into battle as melee, range, or even a mage. The devs will also be adding new things to the game over time as well, which adds tons of replay ability to the game. Terraria is a must have. Expand
  90. Jun 22, 2011
    I'd give the game a ten if not for the confusion of the early game, which is what most people seem to get stuck on, rage quit, then come here and rate it as a 0. But as you learn how to do different things ( like crafting, and the people from Minecraft seem to forget about the time before you could go to a wiki and see the pattern for everything ) the game just gets better and better. AndI'd give the game a ten if not for the confusion of the early game, which is what most people seem to get stuck on, rage quit, then come here and rate it as a 0. But as you learn how to do different things ( like crafting, and the people from Minecraft seem to forget about the time before you could go to a wiki and see the pattern for everything ) the game just gets better and better. And it's also not a Minecraft ripoff in 2d, saying that is like saying every hot-key based MMO is a ripoff of WoW. They're from the same genre, which is relatively new and has only a few games in it so people automatically go into fan boy rage mode when seeing a trailer for it.
    So to sum it up, if you got a bit of extra cash and some free time, go get it.
    ALSO to any of you people who just despise it for no good reason who are convinced that everyone who does like it must be the devs in disguise, please do PM Pandemic on the Minecraft Forums to at least ensure I'm not a dev.
  91. Jun 22, 2011
    Oh, hey, look, it's Minecraft in 2D.

Oh, hey, look, it's Minecraft in 2D.

...Nah, I'm just f*ckin' with ya. Terraria plays more like Castlevania with generous sprinklings of Minecraft and old Final Fantasy sprites. In order to get them out of the way, I'll start with the negatives, because I felt that they were few and far between. First off, there are certain items that require vigorous "farming" to get, but that can't really be avoided, because otherwise it would devalue those items, several of which are incredibly useful. Secondly, the game doesn't support modding quite so well, though I've heard talk that the developers intend to. I certainly hope so. A game like this, with its simplistic sprite design and easy-to-understand mechanics, seems like a breeding ground for wonderful user content beyond all the pretty structures you'll be spending hours building after you finally get those rocket boots.

Now, on to the positive. Terraria blends the building, mining, crafting, murdering elements of Minecraft with the dungeoneering, loot-gathering, potion-spamming goodness of Symphony of the Night, though it lacks quite as much diversity in creatures. I blame that on the size of the studio, though. While I have yet to play the multiplayer, the single player progression is rewarding and challenging. You'll fight your first boss, be terrified, probably die a lot, then come back later and laugh in its face as you stomp it into the dust with your shiny new weapon, crafted from the crushed dreams of a planet-devouring worm. Feels good, man.

The game lacks any tangible level-up system, instead allowing players to upgrade mana and health through specific items found while exploring, and upgrading damage resistance with armor crafted from ores found exploring. It's very much one long spelunking trip with loads more violence -- anything that dies breaks into vaguely recognizable chunks of its sprite. Gross. The sprites themselves, however, are very reminiscent of old Final Fantasy games, though I wouldn't count this against it. I nostalgia'd pretty hard. Even the NPCs have memorable sprites and distinct personalities, given the few lines they have. I think I may be switching persons, a grammarian party foul, but players will also very much enjoy crafting their own little village for the NPCs, as they will only move in when you've built them a cozy little home to nestle into.

I think I've covered the major points I needed to. For ten bucks, this game's a pretty good value. Were a barrel of miniature simians readily available for comparison, I'm sure it would come out on top. I could build a better barrel anyway. Out of Hellstone. Filled with Fire Imps.
  92. Jun 22, 2011
    Terraria is an interesting game with many similarities with another game called Minecraft.
    The game its self offers a very retro 2D plat former feel with the diversity and flexibility of a sandbox type game.
    It has a crafting systems with a lot of different items and things that can be created, dungeons, monsters , bosses, treasure and rare items.. all the makings of an interesting world to explore and advance in, but this is not for everyone.

I have friends who like Minecraft but not Terraria but also the other way around, each to their own as they say.
    Personally I have not invested a lot of time in the game but the time I have spent has been well worth it, if you have no issues with sandbox games then you will quickly find your self digging a little more to the early hours of the morning and then freaking out because you have 2hrs to sleep and get ready for work.

All in all, while the game is not for everyone, it is cheaper then lunch and well worth a try if you are looking for something a little different.
  93. Jun 23, 2011
    Terraria is a good deal. For an Indy game its has excellent replay value.
    Yeah you can compare it to minecraft in its mechanics, but its a rather weird comparison. The updates provide extra content, it is a fun multiplayer co-op and pvp. The Graphics are what they are... retro. The gameplay is fun, and yes it can wear thin... but updates keep it interesting enough.
    I give it a 9 because
    Terraria is a good deal. For an Indy game its has excellent replay value.
    I give it a 9 because its very sandboxy, you can build stuff, you can create stuff and it isnt a huge burden on todays computers. The Bosses provide some insanely tense moments. It's bound to become a 10 as it gets updated with newer features.
  94. Jun 23, 2011
    This was the first game I was excited to play in a long time. I really enjoyed Minecraft, I was still playing it when my friends wanted me to pick up Terraria. They told me, "It's like Minecraft, but 2D!" I was a very skeptical person, so I told them I didn't want to spend the money. I was wrong, this game was simple love.

The graphics are very friendly and colorful. They evoke

The graphics are very friendly and colorful. They evoke emotion and really speak about what's going on in the game. The graphics aren't anything high end, but the graphics of this game really augment the gameplay.

The music is pretty catchy and almost always captures the mood of what's going on. My only concern is the re-use of certain tracks, but it's no big deal because almost all of the music is pretty good.

The gameplay is tons of fun, Terraria is easy to pick up and dive into. The multiplayer and single player playstyles are both fun. Single player provides a fair bit of progression that will keep you entertained for hours. Multiplayer is especially fun with a few friends. Get together, dig some holes, fight some bosses, kill each other with lava, and go have some simple fun.

I have one killer that pulled this score away from a 10, there's not enough to do in the game! There needs to be more content! I ran out of stuff to do after a couple of weeks of avid play. The game developers are releasing somewhat regular content patches, over time I'm sure the game will expand nicely.

Here's the quick rundown: Terraria is a simple game that is a lot of fun. The sounds and graphics are quirky and emotional, the gameplay is a lot of fun that will last you a decent chunk of time, but there isn't much content right now, once you run out there isn't much to do. On a 1-100 scale I would give this game a 92.
  95. Jun 24, 2011
    Amazing game. Well made and coded and allows it to expand almost limitlessly and in which ever direction the Terraria community desires. So far they have listened and done just that and I am happy to say it is my favourite game and comes highly recommended for those who like Minecraft but with more action involved.
  96. Jun 24, 2011
    This game proves that 2D gaming is still alive and can still provide a fun gaming experience. Sure the game seems to steal from other build and create games, but this game has just enough unique content in its adventuring sections to make it seem like a breath of fresh air from other similar titles. It has a wide array of things to do past the initial mine and build formula. While not asThis game proves that 2D gaming is still alive and can still provide a fun gaming experience. Sure the game seems to steal from other build and create games, but this game has just enough unique content in its adventuring sections to make it seem like a breath of fresh air from other similar titles. It has a wide array of things to do past the initial mine and build formula. While not as deep as some would like this game is the kind that you can spend a lot of time on perfecting a building or fighting monsters. Expand
  97. Jul 7, 2011
    This is an great game the devs put a lot of work into making it feel as old school as possible. the music, the sprites and the level design, or well the level generating. if you like mine craft and thing this is just that but 2D this is in no way the case it has building/ crafting elements but is no way modeled after MC. The game is far more based on action, fighting , and loot. I can notThis is an great game the devs put a lot of work into making it feel as old school as possible. the music, the sprites and the level design, or well the level generating. if you like mine craft and thing this is just that but 2D this is in no way the case it has building/ crafting elements but is no way modeled after MC. The game is far more based on action, fighting , and loot. I can not help but see all the flaming going on in these reviews and i must say that they sound more sad then any thing. i get that mine craft is a great game, but just because a game lets you build...does not make it mine craft. if you are finding it hard differentiate between these two and are unhappy that the game does not hold your hand and tell you how to be good at the game. maybe you would be better off playing a title by EA... Expand
  98. Jun 25, 2011
    I've only played this a little at a friend's house, but so far it is amazing. Everyone who says this is a "2d Minecraft ripoff" is a complete idiot. So they are both made of blocks, and they both have similar tools. But Minecraft is more of a creative game with less emphasis on survival and exploration, whereas in Terraria you build to protect yourself and not just for the sake ofI've only played this a little at a friend's house, but so far it is amazing. Everyone who says this is a "2d Minecraft ripoff" is a complete idiot. So they are both made of blocks, and they both have similar tools. But Minecraft is more of a creative game with less emphasis on survival and exploration, whereas in Terraria you build to protect yourself and not just for the sake of building. It also puts more focus on the adventuring aspect, encouraging you to go out and find new things rather than staying in the same general area. Also, the addition of NPCs gives Terraria a hint of RPG that Minecraft doesn't have (That's not to say it's bad, just that that's one part Mojang decided not to put in their game. But this review is about Terarria anyway, so who cares.) In short, the two are completely different games.
    Now, if you are griping about the graphics, then I must assume you are twelve years old and don't have the maturity to realize that you are supposed to PLAY a game. If you want to WATCH something because it LOOKS good, that's what movies are for. And just because this game doesn't look like Call of Duty or StarCraft 2 doesn't make it bad. And also, even if the game looked like ****, as long as the graphics aren't so confusing and/or poor quality that it detracts from your ability to preform as a player, then it shouldn't matter. And if you say the graphics are stolen, then you are simply flaming with no evidence to back your statement up. And in a game where most graphics are a small, low-resolutuion, retro-RPG-style sprite, it's not hard to accidentally make something similar to another game.
    And criticizing the music is even more of a boneheaded thing than criticizing the graphics. I mean, I personally like it but if you don't, there are things called the "volume key" and the "options menu," in which you can turn things like that off. Incredible, I know.
    The clunky controls are hard to back up, but I suppose nothing is perfect. Same thing with the game speed in the beginning. Please note that I said "in the beginning," because after you have been going for a while things will start to seem to become faster by a combination of getting better tools and simply getting used to it. They could have made it a bit quicker to get going but it's still not as bad as some other games I have seen.
    And, don't just take it from me. There are plenty of professional, well-known gamers (TotalBiscuit for one) who would also back this and other, similar games up in the fight against shallow-minded graphics hounds
  99. Jun 25, 2011
    I bought this game thinking I would regret this purchase, thinking it was another Minecraft knockoff, but as I skeptically beat off slimes and trees, I slowly got drawn in to the game-play, and eventually realized, it isn't Minecraft, it is a whole new game. New depths and even more content then Minecraft lead it to be one of my most played games. If I have free time and my laptop, I'll beI bought this game thinking I would regret this purchase, thinking it was another Minecraft knockoff, but as I skeptically beat off slimes and trees, I slowly got drawn in to the game-play, and eventually realized, it isn't Minecraft, it is a whole new game. New depths and even more content then Minecraft lead it to be one of my most played games. If I have free time and my laptop, I'll be playing Terraria. This game is a great addition to a seasoned Minecrafter's game library, as a companion, and competitor game. Expand
  100. Jun 23, 2011
    I give it a 9 because

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.