8.5

1. Oct 29, 2013
    At first I thought everything was about MC (Mindcraft) I had no idea Terraria was even a game. I soon learned about it from watching Toby Turner (Tobuscus), but still never picked it up, or even both downloading it for free. While tones of of my friends still played MC a few started playing it. Then it got to the point where one of my friend gave me a free copy they had and I tried it outAt first I thought everything was about MC (Mindcraft) I had no idea Terraria was even a game. I soon learned about it from watching Toby Turner (Tobuscus), but still never picked it up, or even both downloading it for free. While tones of of my friends still played MC a few started playing it. Then it got to the point where one of my friend gave me a free copy they had and I tried it out once still didn't like it that much. That when I was still so heavy into MC that I though all other games like MC where not worth playing.

one of my friends a few months later then asked if we can play Terraria and like always I said idk its not as good as MC, but I still said i would give it a shot. He helped me throw out the game teaching me how to play and what to do and what not to do and ever since that day I kind of am hooked on it. I went back on MC about 10 days later and was this doesn't feel the same anymore. Way to go u won a place in my heart.
  2. Oct 29, 2013
    Terraria is the second best game I've played, first being MC. Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, it got my interest since I was finding an awesome game in my computer. anyways, thanks for your awesome game, Andrew "Redigit" Spinks!
  3. Nov 26, 2013
    I bought Terraria to fill time a resource that I had in abundance, a couple of months ago and began playing it on "medium core" difficulty. After reaching hard-mode and continuing for quite some time thereafter, I must conclude that the game is pretty good.

My first impressions were not very positive it took a while for me to work out the controls and get a feel for the game and all of that could have been avoided had the developers thought fit to include a tutorial or introduction of some sort. The beginning of the game was rather slow, too, being mainly filled with clunky melee combat and mining.

Had I been busy, I would probably have abandoned Terraria because of the slow start but, with a lot of time to waste, I played for long enough to acquire decent equipment and reach hard-mode, where the game really begins. The game play later on was well worth it.

I did not expect to enjoy the sandbox house-building aspects that Terraria borrows from Minecraft. I was looking for a fun platformer. I was wrong the building elements drew me in completely. They're incredibly well executed, fun, cathartic and brilliantly integrated into the game play. There's nothing quite like the feeling of relief that one gets from a perfectly timed retreat to one's self-built refuge in Hell.

I'd recommend Terraria to anyone with a lot of time to play it and patience in spades. It is both fun and rewarding.
  4. Dec 27, 2013
    My first thought was of this being a 2D copy of Minecraft, though this added many more features such as merchants (pre minecraft villager) and bosses. It also benefits from regular updating, with a massive update adding a hardmode adding extensive replayability and giving players that had left a chance to come back and experience more. I'd recommend coming back if you left pre-hardmode andMy first thought was of this being a 2D copy of Minecraft, though this added many more features such as merchants (pre minecraft villager) and bosses. It also benefits from regular updating, with a massive update adding a hardmode adding extensive replayability and giving players that had left a chance to come back and experience more. I'd recommend coming back if you left pre-hardmode and giving this game a try if you don't need a story to guide you. I had difficulty getting past the limiting 2D exploration. It's worth a sale price and a good 20 hours of play time, but it's not one of my favorites. Expand
  5. Jun 2, 2014
    When you first time play this, you will probably lost time sense for couple of days. It will be very hard to stop playing this flawless game. Giving this game 9 out of 10 because it has no endgame, but I hope developers will work on it. They support this game with patches, promised to add achievements and start adding some quests. Looking forward to play this game another 500 hours afterWhen you first time play this, you will probably lost time sense for couple of days. It will be very hard to stop playing this flawless game. Giving this game 9 out of 10 because it has no endgame, but I hope developers will work on it. They support this game with patches, promised to add achievements and start adding some quests. Looking forward to play this game another 500 hours after some big content patch. Expand
  6. Jun 5, 2014
    Get a group of friends, build things, adventure, and fight things. It's a great game. I only gave it a 9 because every once and a while your friends won't all be on the same page, and you can have some boring spells, also connecting everyone together is sometimes a huge pain, hamachi can be flaky sometimes. In general it's pretty addicting though, and has so many different things you can do.
  7. Oct 26, 2014
    I was genuinely surprised at how much I found myself enjoying this. The combat is a total joy, the controls are solid, exploration is fun with the numerous biomes, building is fun and very customizable (if a little hard), it's got a very nice style (being one of the VERY few games that's managed to make retro graphics look good), and there's a lot of ways to customize your appearance, fromI was genuinely surprised at how much I found myself enjoying this. The combat is a total joy, the controls are solid, exploration is fun with the numerous biomes, building is fun and very customizable (if a little hard), it's got a very nice style (being one of the VERY few games that's managed to make retro graphics look good), and there's a lot of ways to customize your appearance, from some awesome looking armor sets to vanity clothing that pays homage to other games (one of my best moments was finding out that you could get clothing to look like the Ice Climbers. Don't judge me pls).

My only real problem with the game is that like many other sandbox games it gets old after a while. That, and new players are going to find their inital experience somewhat confusing. However, if you're looking for a new time sink, you can't do much better than Terraria.
  8. Jul 19, 2014
    Un jeu 2d vraiment jolie , le gameplay est vraiment plaisant construire sa base , miner , récolter , explorer , puis lorsque votre stuff est assez bon attaquer vous on nombreux boss du jeu :)
  9. Aug 19, 2014
    The game is actualy good.But farming takes a while like 2 real life days to get a rare item.Boss fights are better than just hit it till it dies.Pvp is fun.But the game needs a strong pc to run or it will crash and you will lose all of your progress.
  10. May 1, 2015
    Game of Terraria is also selling it is a high degree of freedom, but a battle is very colorful, often the update also has many things going is added, it is very interesting content that can be enjoyed on more than price.
    Also there are some Mod, it is very good game so you can enjoy There is also to forget the time that you can also be enjoyed as an RPG.
  11. Jan 1, 2015
    I see nothing wrong with this game.

It does lack tutorials, but not many games have that now adays. And anyways, you have the guide, which helps you check what you can craft with this certain item. The lack of tutorial is actually a good thing to me, it makes exploring and seeing what I can use this new material I got for really enjoyable. All-in-all this is my favourite game of ALL
    I see nothing wrong with this game.

All-in-all this is my favourite game of ALL TIME. While the second is awesomenauts.
    I very heavily suggest you to try this game. Especially if you like survival games or have a friend who has the game as well (two player is amazing, though it's sadly difficult to make a server). After you finish the game once, and start getting bored. Just take a break from the game, maybe 3-4 months or so, and then you will be able to feel the full joy from the game again, discluding the exploring part.
  12. Mar 11, 2015
    When I first purchased Terraria originally, I was only doing so to play with a few friends elsewhere, and wasn't expecting much from this game, aside from what others had described, which was essentially "2D Minecraft." These words really couldn't be further from the truth, or rather, barely even scratch the surface of what Terraria is, or can be to someone with a creative mind.

It's a

It's a metroidvania. It's a platformer. It's a city builder. It's a blank canvas. It's a social experience. Each of these descriptors can be used on this game and each is accurate. You choose a character, a world, a world size, and a difficulty. Your first nights will be spent scraping together resources to get a shelter up to shield yourself from the undead menace that comes spilling out each night, and finding ways to expand your operations, tools, weapons, and building materials.

There's tons of distinct weapons, ores, tools, armors, magic rods, spellbooks, vanity costumes, furniture and furnishings, and NPCs that arrive as you expand your home, allow you to purchase even more items. Each serves a purpose, as you battle the creeping Crimson or Corrupt biomes that grow each day, in an attempt to completely corrupt and change your world.

A note on biomes: each time you generate a world to play in, random biomes are chosen, depending on the size, each biome has unique wildlife, plants, drops and resources you can gather, ranging from jungles, snow, beaches, deserts, forests, corruption, crimson, the hallows, etc. Over these, random sky islands also hide, waiting for you to explore them. Under each one? Ores, more unique monsters/wild life and random caves/caverns or even dungeons, secret hiding spots with hidden treasures and treasure chests.

Think that surviving the corruption and building is all this game offers? Not quite. There's also massive boss battles and triggered events, like battling goblin armies, and a plethora of other things that words won't allow me to express. The kicker is that there's still another update coming, which will offer even more content. I have 400+ hours in and I still pick it up and play it rather frequently.
  13. Jan 9, 2016
    Many people call this game '2D Minecraft', at least here in Korea. I personally play minecraft and loved the game. When I first bought the game in Steam, I was thinking this game just as a '2D Minecraft', which made me just think that it's similar to Minecraft.

But, Wow. This game was so had tons of more features than minecraft - like variety of weapons, different bosses, etc. What I have to say is that you must play this game.
  14. Jul 19, 2011
    When I first laid my eyes on this game I didn't think of it as a Minecraft clone at all. The trailer really made me interested, it looked more like an adventure, RPG game than a Minecraft copy. Terraria is exactly that - Adventure. Despite what a lot says about Terraria is being a Minecraft clone, I almost 100 percent disagree. Sure they are a like when it comes to some parts of the game,When I first laid my eyes on this game I didn't think of it as a Minecraft clone at all. The trailer really made me interested, it looked more like an adventure, RPG game than a Minecraft copy. Terraria is exactly that - Adventure. Despite what a lot says about Terraria is being a Minecraft clone, I almost 100 percent disagree. Sure they are a like when it comes to some parts of the game, but that's just required for this type of genre. Battlefield and Call of Duty is even more clones than Minecraft and Terraria.

Terraria is a Wonderful, amazing game that will bring you a lot of pleasure if you are into adventuring. During my, so far, 200 hours of game-play - I have never felt bored, even if I was doing the same thing for hours.
  15. Jun 21, 2011
    Terraria is by far one of the best 2-D-survival, role-playing, side-scrolling games I have ever bought on Steam, and I've been playing it for 123 hours now. You can consider it to be a 2-D version of Minecraft, but it's not. It was built on the same concept, perhaps, but despite Terraria's limitations in graphics, it has so much potential beyond Minecraft. Randomly generated worlds thatTerraria is by far one of the best 2-D-survival, role-playing, side-scrolling games I have ever bought on Steam, and I've been playing it for 123 hours now. You can consider it to be a 2-D version of Minecraft, but it's not. It was built on the same concept, perhaps, but despite Terraria's limitations in graphics, it has so much potential beyond Minecraft. Randomly generated worlds that are small, medium or large; interesting, and almost seeming endless, exploration; online multiplayer; NPC's that move into your homes which you can buy stuff from them and/or sell it; infinite durability for tools and weapons; only losing your coins when you die; all the items you have for your own character get transferred; crafting potions and acquiring a numerous variety of weapons, clothing and other accessories; fighting challenging enemies and bosses; and so much more. This game is on beta version 1.0.4 and the new update which is 1.0.5 is going to add even more content. There have been rumors that the price may increase as more content is added. Overall, it has been the best $10 ever spent for a game so far, so if any of you have an extra $10 in your Paypal account and/or credit/debit card, make an account on Steam if you haven't and buy it now! You will not be disappointed. Expand
  16. Jul 23, 2011
    Good game, i got this on a bargain offer through steam, like £1.75. its a good fun sandbox game. i know its early in the game's life but it does need some more features, monsters, npcs, crafting recipes and secrets. the dev says there is more features to come and they will be free
  17. Jan 21, 2012
    This game is always in the top 10 most played steam games, with about 20,000 players on daily. Next to kings like TF2, CS and Skyrim. Ignore the red reviews and just ask yourself if this is something you could enjoy, BEFORE buying it. 407 positive reviews to 56 negative... And every negative is upset it's like minecraft! They make no secrets about that, it's obvious before purchase.This game is always in the top 10 most played steam games, with about 20,000 players on daily. Next to kings like TF2, CS and Skyrim. Ignore the red reviews and just ask yourself if this is something you could enjoy, BEFORE buying it. 407 positive reviews to 56 negative... And every negative is upset it's like minecraft! They make no secrets about that, it's obvious before purchase. Then it has tons of rad wiring traps and explosives and lighting and rediculous amounts of custom weapons, accessories, combinations, clothes armor and even ammo types. If you don't feel any nostalgia for the 2D era you should acknowledge that before you even consider buying, because it takes an imagination to lose yourself in a platform world with no ending. That being said I'm 70 hours into just building and digging mines, and I couldn't be having more fun. I played minecraft for 5 hours and it has WAY less going on than terraria. 20000 active steam players a day can't be wrong. Expand
  18. Aug 23, 2011
    The first thing I can say about this game is that it's NOT a rip-off of Minecraft. Yes, it has mining and crafting. Yes, the word "biome" gets tossed around a lot in discussions of both...and that's about it. In Terraria, you mine because you need gear to get to the next step in the game. There are no circuits or minecart tracks here- just better gear so you can fight stronger monsters andThe first thing I can say about this game is that it's NOT a rip-off of Minecraft. Yes, it has mining and crafting. Yes, the word "biome" gets tossed around a lot in discussions of both...and that's about it. In Terraria, you mine because you need gear to get to the next step in the game. There are no circuits or minecart tracks here- just better gear so you can fight stronger monsters and more powerful bosses. Past a certain point, there's very little mining at all: you proceed mostly by fighting monsters and finding chests. The game isn't perfect, though: I find that there's a bit of a gap between the gear you'll get from digging underground versus the gear you need to fight the next level of enemies. At one point it almost forms a mobius loop of "You need X sword to beat Y boss and you need to beat Y boss to get X sword". The bosses are also unimaginative in the sense that they don't really vary their attacks or present you with unique challenges- it's mostly just a grind. Also, the fact that you mine for advancement means the ores you find quickly become obsolete- you'll find yourself just ignoring large amounts of ores just because they do diddleysquat for you past a certain point. Still, Terraria is a cheap game that will keep you entertained for a LONG time, and the devs are constantly updating the game, so it can only get better from here. Expand
  19. Aug 18, 2011
    It's a fun game - I logged about 70 hours or so. The crafting, item grind and building of homes is really the addictive part of the game. Like every other game it gets tedious after a while. The low-level mobs spawn too frequently and are more annoying than challenging. Their combat tactics are about 80% bump and collide for damage and 20% of them lob projectiles of some sort which is veryIt's a fun game - I logged about 70 hours or so. The crafting, item grind and building of homes is really the addictive part of the game. Like every other game it gets tedious after a while. The low-level mobs spawn too frequently and are more annoying than challenging. Their combat tactics are about 80% bump and collide for damage and 20% of them lob projectiles of some sort which is very limited and repetitive for a modern game. You'll find yourself thrilled at first and soon be asking yourself when will it end... A good value if you get it at the $5 sale point on steam. Expand
  20. Jul 22, 2012
    I can't remember the last time I got so many hours out of a game that cost so few dollars. Since the game is pretty much user-defined from the get-go, the only real limit is your imagination.
  21. Jun 28, 2011
    "8"Awesome game. Not gonna give 10 since it is "perfect" and nearly no games are perfect but still HIGH 9. Devs are awesome, even i see many negative who say they suck etc. since they update game often with good updates, unlike minecraft. Game has similarities as minecraft, but MC is building game and Terraria is adventure mainly and some building involved, not much mainly houses for NPC"8"Awesome game. Not gonna give 10 since it is "perfect" and nearly no games are perfect but still HIGH 9. Devs are awesome, even i see many negative who say they suck etc. since they update game often with good updates, unlike minecraft. Game has similarities as minecraft, but MC is building game and Terraria is adventure mainly and some building involved, not much mainly houses for NPC 's and possibly farms and stuff like that. Terraria has many weapons, armors, special items,spells, buff potions etc. Terraria is kinda like minecraft in graphs, both unique, not great but that is how it should be, except MC has texture packs. And the new guide is actually HELPFUL when he tells crafting recipes (kinda). And also monsters, that are very many different. Well i got bored to this game after MANY awesome hours since had collected every items, killed every boss 10 times, except skeletron and now start playing again and find many new items, new monster new biome and all that just in what, 1-1,5 month when minecraft would have given possibly a map and some random tiny things and bug fixes.

Now if u still think Terraria is ripoff from Minecraft, let me say 1 thing. Stuff that Terraria has and Minecraft has are REAL items and materials like sand dirt stone etc. so materials aren't ripoff, then gameplay. 2d and 3d tiny different and then bigger BUILDING and ADVENTURE. Minecraft is mainly building and Terraria some building but mainly adventure. And I like both Minecraft and Terraria A LOT and cost only ~25â
  22. Apr 15, 2012
    It's not a bad game at all, but the progress is kind of linear and the people you will meet online are just bunch of **** Everyone has the best armor and weapons, every second nickname contains awesome or epic... Just way too much to bear for me. But otherwise, I enjoyed playing it for few days, however I don't see it worth spending 10 Euros like i did. Tere's much more cheaper games outIt's not a bad game at all, but the progress is kind of linear and the people you will meet online are just bunch of **** Everyone has the best armor and weapons, every second nickname contains awesome or epic... Just way too much to bear for me. But otherwise, I enjoyed playing it for few days, however I don't see it worth spending 10 Euros like i did. Tere's much more cheaper games out there, that will satisfy you and keep you playing for much longer. Expand
  23. Jul 14, 2011
    When Terraria was released, I passed. I kept seeing ads and still passed. It wasn't until I saw what people were making in the game (i.e. Super Mario and Bowser Pixel Art) and saw a video of Toby Turner playing that I decided to pay $10 for it on Steam. I started playing at around 9pm. It is now 3am and I just stopped for the night; although it took great effort to stop. Here is theWhen Terraria was released, I passed. I kept seeing ads and still passed. It wasn't until I saw what people were making in the game (i.e. Super Mario and Bowser Pixel Art) and saw a video of Toby Turner playing that I decided to pay $10 for it on Steam. I started playing at around 9pm. It is now 3am and I just stopped for the night; although it took great effort to stop. Here is the layout: A random world generates from the size you choose (small, medium, large). You start with the basics tools and set off to spelunk in a 2D platform game that seems to have endless depth. The difficultly increases the deeper you go, reminding me a little of Dante's Inferno. It has a definitely feel of Castlevania 2, with the night bringing worse creatures and a curse. So, you fight off the monsters while trying to explore deeper and deeper. What you don't realize is that you have built a town from the mud, sticks, and stone. This brings a nurse and a merchant at first. Only when you have crafted your first golden sword do you realize that you are addicted. You must go deeper to see what else lies in wait. What treasure will you find? What heights will you build to? *sigh* Sorrowfully, I have to work tomorrow and this game will be in my dreams. Simple, yet it is only limited by your willingness to explore and by your imagination to build. This has so much depth for such a simple little game. Expand
  24. Jul 12, 2011
    This game is much more than a rehash of Minecraft. Less emphasis is placed on construction, and more is placed on exploration and actual gameplay. The difficulty scales well for anybody from casual players to the more hardcore, and the game rewards thoughtful building to protect yourself from enemies.
  25. Jan 17, 2015
    I have more hours in this game than I ever thought was possible. I played minecraft before I played this game, and I was convinced I would feel bored by terraria because I had played minecraft. However Terraria is different enough and polished enough to feel like a completely different experience. Yes, you can build in terraria, yes there are circuits and you spend a lot of time diggingI have more hours in this game than I ever thought was possible. I played minecraft before I played this game, and I was convinced I would feel bored by terraria because I had played minecraft. However Terraria is different enough and polished enough to feel like a completely different experience. Yes, you can build in terraria, yes there are circuits and you spend a lot of time digging for ore just like minecraft, that's where the similarities end. Terraria has a vast amount of weaponry to use, unique and difficult boss fights, graphics that look more natural and are far more interesting to look at than minecraft's default textures.

Minecraft is more of a sandbox builder while terraria is more of an actual 2D action RPG game. Despite what I thought before I played Terraria, it's clear now that this game is a unique masterpiece.
  26. Jun 20, 2011
    This game is incredibly amazing. I can't even believe it's 10 dollars. It's extremely addictive and filled with hours of fun, whether you play it alone or with friends. The game goes from zombies to giant worms to flying eye balls and tons of other unique npcs to different places to explore, such as dungeons, jungles, and other places you will find on your adventure. The game is filledThis game is incredibly amazing. I can't even believe it's 10 dollars. It's extremely addictive and filled with hours of fun, whether you play it alone or with friends. The game goes from zombies to giant worms to flying eye balls and tons of other unique npcs to different places to explore, such as dungeons, jungles, and other places you will find on your adventure. The game is filled with tons of different items, giving you a whole mess of items to craft and provide different ways to play the game making it possible to engage into battle as melee, range, or even a mage. The devs will also be adding new things to the game over time as well, which adds tons of replay ability to the game. Terraria is a must have. Expand
  27. Jun 22, 2011
    I'd give the game a ten if not for the confusion of the early game, which is what most people seem to get stuck on, rage quit, then come here and rate it as a 0. But as you learn how to do different things ( like crafting, and the people from Minecraft seem to forget about the time before you could go to a wiki and see the pattern for everything ) the game just gets better and better. AndI'd give the game a ten if not for the confusion of the early game, which is what most people seem to get stuck on, rage quit, then come here and rate it as a 0. But as you learn how to do different things ( like crafting, and the people from Minecraft seem to forget about the time before you could go to a wiki and see the pattern for everything ) the game just gets better and better. And it's also not a Minecraft ripoff in 2d, saying that is like saying every hot-key based MMO is a ripoff of WoW. They're from the same genre, which is relatively new and has only a few games in it so people automatically go into fan boy rage mode when seeing a trailer for it.
    So to sum it up, if you got a bit of extra cash and some free time, go get it.
    ALSO to any of you people who just despise it for no good reason who are convinced that everyone who does like it must be the devs in disguise, please do PM Pandemic on the Minecraft Forums to at least ensure I'm not a dev.
  28. Jun 22, 2011
    Oh, hey, look, it's Minecraft in 2D.

Oh, hey, look, it's Minecraft in 2D.

...Nah, I'm just f*ckin' with ya. Terraria plays more like Castlevania with generous sprinklings of Minecraft and old Final Fantasy sprites. In order to get them out of the way, I'll start with the negatives, because I felt that they were few and far between. First off, there are certain items that require vigorous "farming" to get, but that can't really be avoided, because otherwise it would devalue those items, several of which are incredibly useful. Secondly, the game doesn't support modding quite so well, though I've heard talk that the developers intend to. I certainly hope so. A game like this, with its simplistic sprite design and easy-to-understand mechanics, seems like a breeding ground for wonderful user content beyond all the pretty structures you'll be spending hours building after you finally get those rocket boots.

Now, on to the positive. Terraria blends the building, mining, crafting, murdering elements of Minecraft with the dungeoneering, loot-gathering, potion-spamming goodness of Symphony of the Night, though it lacks quite as much diversity in creatures. I blame that on the size of the studio, though. While I have yet to play the multiplayer, the single player progression is rewarding and challenging. You'll fight your first boss, be terrified, probably die a lot, then come back later and laugh in its face as you stomp it into the dust with your shiny new weapon, crafted from the crushed dreams of a planet-devouring worm. Feels good, man.

The game lacks any tangible level-up system, instead allowing players to upgrade mana and health through specific items found while exploring, and upgrading damage resistance with armor crafted from ores found exploring. It's very much one long spelunking trip with loads more violence -- anything that dies breaks into vaguely recognizable chunks of its sprite. Gross. The sprites themselves, however, are very reminiscent of old Final Fantasy games, though I wouldn't count this against it. I nostalgia'd pretty hard. Even the NPCs have memorable sprites and distinct personalities, given the few lines they have. I think I may be switching persons, a grammarian party foul, but players will also very much enjoy crafting their own little village for the NPCs, as they will only move in when you've built them a cozy little home to nestle into.

I think I've covered the major points I needed to. For ten bucks, this game's a pretty good value. Were a barrel of miniature simians readily available for comparison, I'm sure it would come out on top. I could build a better barrel anyway. Out of Hellstone. Filled with Fire Imps.
  29. Jun 22, 2011
    Terraria is an interesting game with many similarities with another game called Minecraft.
    The game its self offers a very retro 2D plat former feel with the diversity and flexibility of a sandbox type game.
    It has a crafting systems with a lot of different items and things that can be created, dungeons, monsters , bosses, treasure and rare items.. all the makings of an interesting world to explore and advance in, but this is not for everyone.

I have friends who like Minecraft but not Terraria but also the other way around, each to their own as they say.
    Personally I have not invested a lot of time in the game but the time I have spent has been well worth it, if you have no issues with sandbox games then you will quickly find your self digging a little more to the early hours of the morning and then freaking out because you have 2hrs to sleep and get ready for work.

All in all, while the game is not for everyone, it is cheaper then lunch and well worth a try if you are looking for something a little different.
  30. Jun 23, 2011
    Terraria is a good deal. For an Indy game its has excellent replay value.
    Yeah you can compare it to minecraft in its mechanics, but its a rather weird comparison. The updates provide extra content, it is a fun multiplayer co-op and pvp. The Graphics are what they are... retro. The gameplay is fun, and yes it can wear thin... but updates keep it interesting enough.
    I give it a 9 because
    Terraria is a good deal. For an Indy game its has excellent replay value.
    I give it a 9 because its very sandboxy, you can build stuff, you can create stuff and it isnt a huge burden on todays computers. The Bosses provide some insanely tense moments. It's bound to become a 10 as it gets updated with newer features.
  31. Jun 23, 2011
    This was the first game I was excited to play in a long time. I really enjoyed Minecraft, I was still playing it when my friends wanted me to pick up Terraria. They told me, "It's like Minecraft, but 2D!" I was a very skeptical person, so I told them I didn't want to spend the money. I was wrong, this game was simple love.

The graphics are very friendly and colorful. They evoke

The graphics are very friendly and colorful. They evoke emotion and really speak about what's going on in the game. The graphics aren't anything high end, but the graphics of this game really augment the gameplay.

The music is pretty catchy and almost always captures the mood of what's going on. My only concern is the re-use of certain tracks, but it's no big deal because almost all of the music is pretty good.

The gameplay is tons of fun, Terraria is easy to pick up and dive into. The multiplayer and single player playstyles are both fun. Single player provides a fair bit of progression that will keep you entertained for hours. Multiplayer is especially fun with a few friends. Get together, dig some holes, fight some bosses, kill each other with lava, and go have some simple fun.

I have one killer that pulled this score away from a 10, there's not enough to do in the game! There needs to be more content! I ran out of stuff to do after a couple of weeks of avid play. The game developers are releasing somewhat regular content patches, over time I'm sure the game will expand nicely.

Here's the quick rundown: Terraria is a simple game that is a lot of fun. The sounds and graphics are quirky and emotional, the gameplay is a lot of fun that will last you a decent chunk of time, but there isn't much content right now, once you run out there isn't much to do. On a 1-100 scale I would give this game a 92.
  32. Jun 24, 2011
    Amazing game. Well made and coded and allows it to expand almost limitlessly and in which ever direction the Terraria community desires. So far they have listened and done just that and I am happy to say it is my favourite game and comes highly recommended for those who like Minecraft but with more action involved.
  33. Jun 24, 2011
    This game proves that 2D gaming is still alive and can still provide a fun gaming experience. Sure the game seems to steal from other build and create games, but this game has just enough unique content in its adventuring sections to make it seem like a breath of fresh air from other similar titles. It has a wide array of things to do past the initial mine and build formula. While not asThis game proves that 2D gaming is still alive and can still provide a fun gaming experience. Sure the game seems to steal from other build and create games, but this game has just enough unique content in its adventuring sections to make it seem like a breath of fresh air from other similar titles. It has a wide array of things to do past the initial mine and build formula. While not as deep as some would like this game is the kind that you can spend a lot of time on perfecting a building or fighting monsters. Expand
  34. Jul 7, 2011
    This is an great game the devs put a lot of work into making it feel as old school as possible. the music, the sprites and the level design, or well the level generating. if you like mine craft and thing this is just that but 2D this is in no way the case it has building/ crafting elements but is no way modeled after MC. The game is far more based on action, fighting , and loot. I can notThis is an great game the devs put a lot of work into making it feel as old school as possible. the music, the sprites and the level design, or well the level generating. if you like mine craft and thing this is just that but 2D this is in no way the case it has building/ crafting elements but is no way modeled after MC. The game is far more based on action, fighting , and loot. I can not help but see all the flaming going on in these reviews and i must say that they sound more sad then any thing. i get that mine craft is a great game, but just because a game lets you build...does not make it mine craft. if you are finding it hard differentiate between these two and are unhappy that the game does not hold your hand and tell you how to be good at the game. maybe you would be better off playing a title by EA... Expand
  35. Jun 25, 2011
    I've only played this a little at a friend's house, but so far it is amazing. Everyone who says this is a "2d Minecraft ripoff" is a complete idiot. So they are both made of blocks, and they both have similar tools. But Minecraft is more of a creative game with less emphasis on survival and exploration, whereas in Terraria you build to protect yourself and not just for the sake ofI've only played this a little at a friend's house, but so far it is amazing. Everyone who says this is a "2d Minecraft ripoff" is a complete idiot. So they are both made of blocks, and they both have similar tools. But Minecraft is more of a creative game with less emphasis on survival and exploration, whereas in Terraria you build to protect yourself and not just for the sake of building. It also puts more focus on the adventuring aspect, encouraging you to go out and find new things rather than staying in the same general area. Also, the addition of NPCs gives Terraria a hint of RPG that Minecraft doesn't have (That's not to say it's bad, just that that's one part Mojang decided not to put in their game. But this review is about Terarria anyway, so who cares.) In short, the two are completely different games.
    Now, if you are griping about the graphics, then I must assume you are twelve years old and don't have the maturity to realize that you are supposed to PLAY a game. If you want to WATCH something because it LOOKS good, that's what movies are for. And just because this game doesn't look like Call of Duty or StarCraft 2 doesn't make it bad. And also, even if the game looked like ****, as long as the graphics aren't so confusing and/or poor quality that it detracts from your ability to preform as a player, then it shouldn't matter. And if you say the graphics are stolen, then you are simply flaming with no evidence to back your statement up. And in a game where most graphics are a small, low-resolutuion, retro-RPG-style sprite, it's not hard to accidentally make something similar to another game.
    And criticizing the music is even more of a boneheaded thing than criticizing the graphics. I mean, I personally like it but if you don't, there are things called the "volume key" and the "options menu," in which you can turn things like that off. Incredible, I know.
    The clunky controls are hard to back up, but I suppose nothing is perfect. Same thing with the game speed in the beginning. Please note that I said "in the beginning," because after you have been going for a while things will start to seem to become faster by a combination of getting better tools and simply getting used to it. They could have made it a bit quicker to get going but it's still not as bad as some other games I have seen.
    And, don't just take it from me. There are plenty of professional, well-known gamers (TotalBiscuit for one) who would also back this and other, similar games up in the fight against shallow-minded graphics hounds
  36. Jun 25, 2011
    I bought this game thinking I would regret this purchase, thinking it was another Minecraft knockoff, but as I skeptically beat off slimes and trees, I slowly got drawn in to the game-play, and eventually realized, it isn't Minecraft, it is a whole new game. New depths and even more content then Minecraft lead it to be one of my most played games. If I have free time and my laptop, I'll beI bought this game thinking I would regret this purchase, thinking it was another Minecraft knockoff, but as I skeptically beat off slimes and trees, I slowly got drawn in to the game-play, and eventually realized, it isn't Minecraft, it is a whole new game. New depths and even more content then Minecraft lead it to be one of my most played games. If I have free time and my laptop, I'll be playing Terraria. This game is a great addition to a seasoned Minecrafter's game library, as a companion, and competitor game. Expand
  37. Jun 26, 2011
    Terraria is a creative and addicting game. Ive put about 25 hours into it now and I am still hooked. At 10 bucks you just cant beat that. Where do I begin........it reminds me a lot of zelda except with many more items to find which is one of the reasons it is so addictive. Playing with friends is a blast and the developers add content consistantly for free. I have not played mineTerraria is a creative and addicting game. Ive put about 25 hours into it now and I am still hooked. At 10 bucks you just cant beat that. Where do I begin........it reminds me a lot of zelda except with many more items to find which is one of the reasons it is so addictive. Playing with friends is a blast and the developers add content consistantly for free. I have not played mine craft and some people think this is a rip off of that game. All I know is this game is really good and has a lot of heart. I would have given the game a 10 if it wasn't for the confusing multiplayer set up process. As far as I know you have to open ports on your network and a few other things to play with friends. This game needs some simple match making and it would be perfect and more accessible. I got around this by using a program called Himatchi which let me connect to my friend. If you are an old school action rpg fan this game is for you. If you are a fan of zelda and can deal with throw back graphics then buy this game right now. A true gem in a sea of big budget garbage games that are being churned out these days. Expand
  38. Jun 26, 2011
    What originally seemed like a game that plays itself off of the minecraft crowd, is now nothing like it. with graphics that will easly run on most PCs and a 2D landscape it resembles that of SNES platformers. It is a game you can pick up and play and not get bored easily. Like minecraft, you find what you want to do and by the end, with most powerful weapons in hand, you still keepWhat originally seemed like a game that plays itself off of the minecraft crowd, is now nothing like it. with graphics that will easly run on most PCs and a 2D landscape it resembles that of SNES platformers. It is a game you can pick up and play and not get bored easily. Like minecraft, you find what you want to do and by the end, with most powerful weapons in hand, you still keep playing. weither its building a tower or a giant **** and balls, this game will hold your attention. The developers are updating and adding new content so there is always something to get later even if you have everything. Fun mulitplayer with PvP possible or co-op. Fight your friends or journey into the bowls of the land. It is a must have. Expand
  39. Jun 27, 2011
    I haven't been this engrossed in a single player experience since the first Diablo came out when I was 13. It's the kind of game you think about when you're not playing.
  40. Oct 7, 2011
    No way you can fault this game for lack of content. There's plenty, and (semi-)random-generation of items, caverns, and veins keeps the game interesting for many hours. With all sandbox-type games, however, there comes a point where you feel like you've gone through just about everything there is to explore. You know how the mechanics work, how enemies work - you've found all theNo way you can fault this game for lack of content. There's plenty, and (semi-)random-generation of items, caverns, and veins keeps the game interesting for many hours. With all sandbox-type games, however, there comes a point where you feel like you've gone through just about everything there is to explore. You know how the mechanics work, how enemies work - you've found all the interesting artifacts, and have the NPCs you're interested in. .... And then you go online to see the Terraria Wiki, and -- HOLY #(%*, there's a freaking CLOUD level! You find out you've only explored half the content, and on your way to explore it, the devs release even more new content in an update. Content updates in Terraria are a real treat. It's not just a few balance changes and a a couple new items -- they add new biomes, more monsters, a new NPC, different trees, new mechanics, many new weapons, and major crafting changes. Even if you do play Minecraft, and reviewers are correct in calling Terraria a "2d minecraft clone," the vast amount of different content, different mechanics, and environments still make Terreria a bargain, and likely a very fresh, enjoyable experience for you. Expand
  41. Jun 30, 2011
    Let me start by saying that the first time i saw this game i said "pff it's a minecraft copy in 2d"
    then my cousin started playing and told me to start too so i thought "meh lets try it"
    yeah its basicly the same kind of game but if u think in that way quake was a copy of doom, the difference is where the game has been improved and i say it has improved a lot, there is so much more to
    the difference is where the game has been improved and i say it has improved a lot, there is so much more to do, they took the idea of minecraft and improved it a lot, there are random events like goblin army, blood moon rising, etc, that improved the game in so many ways that it's worth your time and money
  42. Jul 6, 2011
    A little slow for the first couple hours. But if you are a fan of nostalgia Squaresoft RPGs / Metroid / Castlevania series with a minecraft building system this game eventually evolves into an absolutely amazing experience. With random generating worlds and co-op, its one of the best gaming deals around.
  43. Jul 15, 2011
    well.. Probably these guys who game 10 dont have more than 20 hours of gameplay... Let me say what I think: This IS a good game. It has great features, like potions, guns, magic and great dungeons... but after doing all that stuff, i sincerelly have to say that it gets TOO boring. :(

After my 30 hours of gameplay, im sorry to say that i cant even launch the game anymore.. I mean, at least not now. About Minecraft vs. Terraria, all i have to say is: Minecraft. "But minecraft also gets boring!"
    well, then u have the m ultiplayer. "BUT TERRARIA ALSO HAVE MULTIPLAYER!" well, its a crap. It doesnt have plugins and moderations.. blablabla... But its still a quite nice game, if you're going to buy it, get in a steam offer, because it not worthy the 10 buck (but that you'll see after the 20th hour of gameplay)

my message to you: Its not a bad game, but it isnt the best game ever. Have that in mind ;D

my score: 7.5
  44. Jul 16, 2011
    Many people complain that this game is a complete ripoff off Minecraft but even notch himself likes this game!
    Thus if it werent for notch this game wouldnt have become as well known as it is :)
    Ok back to the game: The game has very similiar building basics like Minecraft but thats the ONLY thing in Terraria u will find is similiar (except for zombies at night) Terraria is more like an
    Terraria is more like an adventure game version of Minecraft. So if you're thinking about buying the game just for building in it i don't think you should buy it so buy Minecraft instead. Terraria just like Minecraft isn't a full game yet so if you buy it look forward to updates and new things being added and make sure to play Terraria with lots of friends. The more the merrier
  45. Jul 17, 2011
    A work in progress drawing elements from minecraft (and a few others), BUT an AWESOME and unique game in it's own right.

I bought this game immediately upon release, loaded it up, built a house, killed some stuff, figured it was a cute minecraft rip-off in 2D, and left it alone. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I gave it another shot after watching a trailer for the 1.0.5 patch. At first glance, it definitely has alot in common with minecraft. You start out with only some basic tools, have to gather resources, avoid or fight enemies, build a shelter and survive your first night. Eventually you will improve on your house and begin to mine deeper and deeper underground to find rarer and better resources, dungeons, and whatever. Sound familiar? BUT WAIT! Terraria takes off in a different direction with NPC's who move into your home, epic bosses, events such as goblin invasions, magic spells, different sets of armor with bonuses, grappling hooks, unique weapon drops and rocket boots. Mmmm, rocket boots. If anything, Terraria is a wonderful combination of minecraft-diablo-lode runner-worms. Point is, it's amazing. Like I said however, it is a work in progress (like minecraft) so don't expect a completed game. I sunk hours upon hours into Terraria and am now waiting for some juicy new content. And that's another thing - the Terraria developers seem to be much more active than Mojang are with minecraft. Also, I recommend finding a friend(s) to play coop with to get the most out of it, though you won't lose out playing alone.
    Seriously, it's $10. Just do it.
  46. May 31, 2012
    Its a great game very fun and addictive, also have very big updates(Free) companies should learn from this guys. A lot of items, materiales, weapons. Its just great :)
  47. Jul 20, 2011
    You may be thinking that this is just a crappy copy of the best downloadable game on the market Minecraft but how wrong you are. Terrarria is fantastic unlike Minecraft Terrarria has an RPG side to it so stuff building houses head underground and get some gear. It looks pretty good not the best 2D platformer graphics though. The music puts you into such a tranquil snake as your miningYou may be thinking that this is just a crappy copy of the best downloadable game on the market Minecraft but how wrong you are. Terrarria is fantastic unlike Minecraft Terrarria has an RPG side to it so stuff building houses head underground and get some gear. It looks pretty good not the best 2D platformer graphics though. The music puts you into such a tranquil snake as your mining fighting beasties or even taking on giant eyes. It's undeniably fun and it is only 9.99 what a bargain. Expand
  48. Jul 21, 2011
    Great game minecraft and this game are about the same terraria is way better though fun with my friends. Its very fun because my friends and i love the merchants the npcs (the guide stinks) well becaues its something that minecraft doesnt have and a 2d game like terraria does which is pretty freaking cool you no. also this game deserves a 10 because guns are pretty awsome and you can getGreat game minecraft and this game are about the same terraria is way better though fun with my friends. Its very fun because my friends and i love the merchants the npcs (the guide stinks) well becaues its something that minecraft doesnt have and a 2d game like terraria does which is pretty freaking cool you no. also this game deserves a 10 because guns are pretty awsome and you can get that in terraria sounds cool its really well worth it you should really go get it. Expand
  49. Sep 30, 2011
    Terraria may look like a Minecraft clone but it is way more then that. Terraria focus much more on exploration and crafting then Minecraft do. You do build a base that can be as simplistic or ambitious as you like but the joy you get from Terraria is when you discover a new cave system with allot of gold that you need for your new armour or manage to take down one of the games challengingTerraria may look like a Minecraft clone but it is way more then that. Terraria focus much more on exploration and crafting then Minecraft do. You do build a base that can be as simplistic or ambitious as you like but the joy you get from Terraria is when you discover a new cave system with allot of gold that you need for your new armour or manage to take down one of the games challenging bosses. Many items are craftable but many more can only be found in chest or dungeons or deep caves so there are good reasons to explore them. The only thing Terraria misses is a better tutorial system. Check out one of the online guides, else you will feel completely lost the first two hours of the game.

All in all, a strong recommendation to anyone interested in side-scrolling adventure games! (Most fun with friends!)
  50. Jul 26, 2011
    When i first looked at the trailers of Terraria, i thought "aww c'mon, its just a copy of minecraft", but then after sometime i decided to try the game out, and then i bought it, and i must say i got surprised, this game has soo much to offer, and there is soo much to do, that's its completely unbelievable, i can play for hours and hours, and it just doesn't get boring, the trailers mightWhen i first looked at the trailers of Terraria, i thought "aww c'mon, its just a copy of minecraft", but then after sometime i decided to try the game out, and then i bought it, and i must say i got surprised, this game has soo much to offer, and there is soo much to do, that's its completely unbelievable, i can play for hours and hours, and it just doesn't get boring, the trailers might look boring, but you have to play a game like this judge it, and it only costs 10$, that is the best game i have bought for a long time, and its definitely worth it. i have also played minecraft, but this game is just overall more addictive and fun in my oppinion. Expand
  51. Jul 27, 2011
    My first impression of this game was not great at all. Graphics wise the game is the most unappealing of all the games I am currently playing, but the simplistic nature of the graphics is what makes it so great. It bring back old memories of past 2D platform games that were just as great as this one. Not only can you enjoy the good times in Terraria, but you can also get creative andMy first impression of this game was not great at all. Graphics wise the game is the most unappealing of all the games I am currently playing, but the simplistic nature of the graphics is what makes it so great. It bring back old memories of past 2D platform games that were just as great as this one. Not only can you enjoy the good times in Terraria, but you can also get creative and create your own worlds. From PVP Arenas to giant fortresses fending off hordes of zombies, the amount of creativity that can be produced in this game is almost limitless. On another note many compare this game to MineCraft. These two games although they share similar aspects, they are different and have their own sparks. MineCraft is pointed more towards construction and dimensions and isn't much of an adventure game whereas Terraria is, and I'd have to choose Terraria over MineCraft anyday. Expand
  52. Jul 31, 2011
    I originally had the opinion that this was a Minecraft ripoff at first sight. Then I bought it, and found out that the game has a nostalgic, 2d-retro platforming style combined with all the things we love about MC. I still prefer Minecraft, but go ahead and buy this if you like MC, are looking for an adventure game, or just want to have a good time in general.
  53. Aug 1, 2011
    Terraria is brilliant to say the least. Never before has a 2D universe held so much complexity and exploration possibilities as Terraria. It is unfair to compare Terraria to Minecraft. The only thing they actually have in common is that you can build stuff and that stuff comes to kill you at night. But you can also build stuff in Zoo Tycoon or fight stuff at night in Stronghold etc. So itTerraria is brilliant to say the least. Never before has a 2D universe held so much complexity and exploration possibilities as Terraria. It is unfair to compare Terraria to Minecraft. The only thing they actually have in common is that you can build stuff and that stuff comes to kill you at night. But you can also build stuff in Zoo Tycoon or fight stuff at night in Stronghold etc. So it is unfair at least to say that Terraria is nothing but a mindless rip-off. Personally i prefer the adventure, exploration style of it over Minecraft which in my opinion gets dull really fast. Since when did you last time get in a boss-fight with a giant flying eye, dug you way to a vast underground jungle or purified a corrupted desert in Minecraft? As cheap as it is, Terraria is a must-have, whether you like adventuring or just being creative, everyone, even my 9-year old sister, can find something entertaining to do, and as friends join the fun it gets even more enjoyable. I've played Terraria way more than any of those Indie-Games i from time to time stumble over on Steam, and i can only say that i even played Terraria more than both Civilization V and Total War: Shogun 2 together, though i think those were mild disappointments but that a review for another time. Just get the hell out there and buy Terraria. Expand
  54. Aug 2, 2011
    The game starts out quite good. It addicted me and got me playing it for hours. Digging, building, crafting, exploring... but once you craft the best equipments kill every boss and go through all events it starts to fell like "is that all?". Well, after that you can go to multiplayer PvP but I didn't enjoyed it that much.I think the game has a good potential to expand and improveThe game starts out quite good. It addicted me and got me playing it for hours. Digging, building, crafting, exploring... but once you craft the best equipments kill every boss and go through all events it starts to fell like "is that all?". Well, after that you can go to multiplayer PvP but I didn't enjoyed it that much.I think the game has a good potential to expand and improve considerably. So, until the new promised "massive updates" show up, my opinion on it is "fun but a little disappointing in the long term" Expand
  55. Aug 7, 2011
    Terraria - Ah, What To Say.... Simply The Best, Always Growing And Adding New Things. This Game Is Wonderful And I Cant Wait To See What It Blooms Into.
  56. Aug 8, 2011
    I got this during the steam summer sale for 2.50 so its a win even if it sucked. Right off the bat it was really fun to play especially on multiplayer like at 10 hours i started to see how small it really was theres only like 10 armor sets and 8 npc's. After 20 hours i had the best gear and i started to think whats the goal there was noting really more to do. So i wouldn't recommend it forI got this during the steam summer sale for 2.50 so its a win even if it sucked. Right off the bat it was really fun to play especially on multiplayer like at 10 hours i started to see how small it really was theres only like 10 armor sets and 8 npc's. After 20 hours i had the best gear and i started to think whats the goal there was noting really more to do. So i wouldn't recommend it for any more then 6 bucks. Cool game not enough content. Expand
  57. Aug 8, 2011
    I didn't like Minecraft at all, because it was only sandbox, with occasional NPC's to harass you. Friend of mine recommended Terraria, and i bought it from Steam sale, it cost less than 5â
  58. Aug 8, 2011
    Everything I wanted out of Minecraft and more, Don't be fooled by the 2D graphics, this game doesn't need the third dimension to give a brilliant gaming experience. I got a good 50 hours out of this game in my first few weeks of playing, easily worth the small sum I paid for it. The developers are constantly working on new updates, so this game should keep giving for a while still!
  59. Aug 10, 2011
    Let me start by saying that no one should dismiss this game without playing it first. Yes it's a 2D platformer, but it sets itself apart from the crowd with it's rich environments which encourage exploration; vast array of equipment and customization; and the player's ability to shape the world to their whim. In a similar vein to Minecraft you can build over, destroy and sculpt the landLet me start by saying that no one should dismiss this game without playing it first. Yes it's a 2D platformer, but it sets itself apart from the crowd with it's rich environments which encourage exploration; vast array of equipment and customization; and the player's ability to shape the world to their whim. In a similar vein to Minecraft you can build over, destroy and sculpt the land around you, which really helps the game feel unique and stay that way for at least 20 hours of solid gameplay.

I spent 26 hours with the game in total, and roughly 15 hours were spent in either 2 player or 3 player co-operative modes. Setting up a multiplayer game is much simpler than in Minecraft, and provided you have friends with the game can dramatically increase the fun you have with it. Playing it alone I felt drained quickly - you can tell it's geared towards co-operative play more than anything else.

My issues with the game stem from it's construction. Initially the game offers little guidance; just as Minecraft does, and you are required to continually visit the wiki to understand both the basics and the more advanced aspects of the game. A tutorial would definitely not go amiss here - the AI guide you are lumped with at the beginning of the game gives you random, often cryptic clues as to what to do - why a simple, short and organized tutorial was not included remains a mystery. Still, if you (like I) manage to wade through the wiki and find the best course of action, you will eventually hit the second issue inherent in the game. Without giving too much away, much of the most advanced armor and weaponry is genuinely incredibly difficult to acquire - whilst this makes it feel more precious in your eyes, ores like Hellstone can only be mined with the best pickaxes and these are very difficult to get in the first place. It feels like Terraria has intentionally put a block in the way of your previously rapid acquirement of new stuff, and "new stuff" is really what keeps the game going.

That's not to say it's a bad game in any way. Working out strategies to defeat the bosses and fending off blood moons and goblin invasions is genuinely fun stuff, the music is great and there is a lot out there in this world to discover. To draw a comparison to Minecraft again - even when you've discovered everything in Minecraft, you still feel compelled to build, the game still makes you want to play. The limitations of making Terraria a 2D game means what you can build is severely hampered and doesn't really draw any fresh resolve from the player to continue after a certain point. Personally, I found it great fun getting to the 20-hour mark, but beyond that my interest fell sharply. There just isn't enough to do after you've found everything you need, and the game suffers because of it.

In short, the game is genuinely good fun for a few hours play with your friends in the evening, and few other games offer such a relaxing, engaging experience up to a certain point, after which it lacks the depth for any sort of longevity.
  60. Aug 10, 2011
    This is one of the few games that you start playing, and before you know it, daybreak arrives. It appeals to many people with it's 2D art style, RPG elements, platforming, resource collecting through mining for stone and ores, chopping trees down for wood which you can use to create what your heart desires. For that alone builders and artists will love Terraria. Terraria's soundtrack isThis is one of the few games that you start playing, and before you know it, daybreak arrives. It appeals to many people with it's 2D art style, RPG elements, platforming, resource collecting through mining for stone and ores, chopping trees down for wood which you can use to create what your heart desires. For that alone builders and artists will love Terraria. Terraria's soundtrack is incredibly soothing containing themes that fit the mood of the environment you are currently in whether you are deep underground, outside in the daylight, or fighting against monsters at night. Controls are very simple to pick up. Overall, Terraria is a great game and deserves to be placed high on the pedestal. At It's price Terraria is a total steal. You will not be disappointed especially if you are fond of Metroidvania type games. Expand
  61. Aug 10, 2011
    Ok, after 173 hours of playing Terraria, I'm still coming back for more. Redigit and his crew at Re-logic did a good job working this. With constant patches to improve npc AI and items, the game keeps getting better. After five months of development, they released a good game. I watched PaperbatVG's videos of this game before it came out, and that probably gave me a better idea on how toOk, after 173 hours of playing Terraria, I'm still coming back for more. Redigit and his crew at Re-logic did a good job working this. With constant patches to improve npc AI and items, the game keeps getting better. After five months of development, they released a good game. I watched PaperbatVG's videos of this game before it came out, and that probably gave me a better idea on how to play it. You people who are giving it bad reviews, try to think of something better to do that just attack the game or it's developers. You could perhaps write something to help improve it if Re-logic saw it. Expand
  62. Aug 18, 2011
    Graphics aren't everything in a game, and Terraria is living proof. It's a 2D platformer-sandbox-builder-explorer type game. For the person who likes to explore rather than build, there are dungeons to loot, bosses to fight, and even more things. The best thing: It's not even done yet. More items, bosses, enemies, and locations are patched in, so you can keep discovering new things.
  63. Aug 20, 2011
    One of the most fun games to come out in a long time. Simple , creative , exciting and fun ! Theres lots of room for improvements and implementations here but Terraria proves that you dont need great graphics to make a memorable game and is well worth the 15 bucks. I recommend to anyone.
  64. Aug 21, 2011
    I'll be honest, I jumped into Terraria expecting an experience similar to Mojang's Minecraft. What I got, however, was something bigger and, in some ways, better. Terraria is only really similar to Minecraft due to the crafting system, which is a bit more in depth in Terraria. Whilst stone is quite vital in Minecraft, it's all but useless in Terraria, aside from one or two uses, whilstI'll be honest, I jumped into Terraria expecting an experience similar to Mojang's Minecraft. What I got, however, was something bigger and, in some ways, better. Terraria is only really similar to Minecraft due to the crafting system, which is a bit more in depth in Terraria. Whilst stone is quite vital in Minecraft, it's all but useless in Terraria, aside from one or two uses, whilst gold is vital in Terraria, while being just fashion in Minecraft. However, Terraria isn't meant to be like Minecraft. Terraria is a 2D adventure game at heart, and does this really well. At the start, you start with bare basic tools and the smallest, weakest slime can prove to be a challenge. As you progress further down and across the randomly generated maps, you can get resources to make better, stronger tools, some armor and soon become someone that can take out enemies in just one swing. Terraria also includes bosses into the game, which are challenging to defeat, but yield great rewards at the end. One thing that Terraria also does well is the character syncing between both single and multiplayer. If one world has been sweeped of all of it's goodies, you can just start a new world and continue from where you left off. If I do have one complaint, the NPC's in the game can seem a bit 'in the way', especially the controversial Guide. In fact, the Guide gets in the way so much, that there's now an item that allows you to kill him!
    Aside from this gripe however, Terraria is a worthy game for adventurers and crafters alike. Don't shun this game because it looks like a 2D Minecraft. It's far more than that.
  65. Aug 22, 2011
    This game is not just a copy of minecraft. Its a great game based on fighting and combat. A variety of weapons armor, spells, and stuff makes it a great game to play. Even though its pixelated, the artwork is still amazing. Its the best 2d game I've ever played. It's bosses, corruption, a variety of monsters, and hard challenges make it a game to hard to resist. And too everyone who saysThis game is not just a copy of minecraft. Its a great game based on fighting and combat. A variety of weapons armor, spells, and stuff makes it a great game to play. Even though its pixelated, the artwork is still amazing. Its the best 2d game I've ever played. It's bosses, corruption, a variety of monsters, and hard challenges make it a game to hard to resist. And too everyone who says its slow, or boring, have never gotten anywhere into the game, because they find it too hard. Expand
  66. Aug 22, 2011
    the most addicting game i have played since minecraft, wayyyyy better enemies better maps, better crafting. and such make this game a must buy!! its worth the 30$ to buy a four pack on steam so you and 3 friends can go exploring!!
  67. Aug 24, 2011
    Terraria blends unique 2D platform sandbox action RPG gameplay with building elements presumably adopted from a recent title that many of you may be familiar with. Similarities (and ongoing debates) aside, it is safe to say that Terraria executes it all comfortably; providing a vast, robust and adventurous experience that is well worth the inexpensive price tag.
  68. Aug 25, 2011
    The score for this game is far too low for its quality and fun. People see a pickaxe and ore and think, wow, Minecraft ripoff! The gameplay is an adventure about one person, you, who wakes up and has no idea what to do. Once you figure out the basic gameplay, Terraria shines. A 2D platformer is always welcome in my collection of games, and this game is the best I have ever played. What IThe score for this game is far too low for its quality and fun. People see a pickaxe and ore and think, wow, Minecraft ripoff! The gameplay is an adventure about one person, you, who wakes up and has no idea what to do. Once you figure out the basic gameplay, Terraria shines. A 2D platformer is always welcome in my collection of games, and this game is the best I have ever played. What I love about this game is a constant sense of progression and reward. As you journey into the underground, you will find a variety of monsters awaiting you, in areas such as the Underground Jungle and Hell. You will als find rewards, such as rare armor and accessories in chests, and as drops from monsters. A mix of weapons awaits you, from spells like the rare Flamelash, to guns such as the Minishark (Half shark, half gun, completely awesome). The multiplayer multiplies the fun. DISCLAIMER: I own both Minecraft and Terraria. I Expand
  69. Aug 25, 2011
    Fantastic game, with constantly increasing depth. Anyone who claims that it's like minecraft hasn't played enough to write a proper review, because it's not. It feels much more like a metroidvania game than anything else, and is almost entirely about item collection to access new areas. Unlike metroid, though, the reason you don't enter the new areas isn't because you don't haveFantastic game, with constantly increasing depth. Anyone who claims that it's like minecraft hasn't played enough to write a proper review, because it's not. It feels much more like a metroidvania game than anything else, and is almost entirely about item collection to access new areas. Unlike metroid, though, the reason you don't enter the new areas isn't because you don't have super-missles, but because the enemies there will kill you instantly. The mining elements are basically just ways to collect stuff to make cooler stuff, and not at all like minecraft. The point of the game is not to build or be especially creative, but to improve yourself via item collection. Expand
  70. Aug 26, 2011
    People say that Terraria is just a 2D Minecraft. Sure it has crafting and mining. But what's Minecraft? An Infiminer clone. People need to realize that games borrow from other games. You need to realize that Minecraft isn't a game anymore, it's a genre. If you stop letting yourself get offended when a game has some of the stuff other games have, you could enjoy the game for what it is.
  71. Mar 30, 2012
    A fantastic experience for those who put some imagination and creativity into gaming.
    Start your life as a hunchbacked proto-human, living in dual dimensions, with only the most basic survival tools. Hammer SMASH! Axe CHOP! Pickaxe... ugh... PICK! Use these skills to shape the world around you or to beat back the creatures currently nibbling at your toes.
    A research student, vaguely

A research student, vaguely interested in your evolution, but too impatient to adhere to prime directives, will stand by and patiently explain what every object you've found is and how you can combine or refine them into complex objects.

Now, you've summoned up fire and bested the worst night terrors on Earth. And, like an hero, you've come to the conclusion that it's time to oil yourself up and go looking for styggian horrors in the caves behind your hovel. Hours later you're clawing your way back out of this hellhole with a sack full of iron ore, already on your way to blasting demons with boomsticks and wading knee deep through chainsaw puree. And if, along the way, a castle should be built for your greatness and all of his new, cool friends, then all the better.
  72. Aug 29, 2011
    I can understand why Terraria has a bad reputation. It's very difficult to get into, there is a very limited in game tutorial in the form of a "Guide," and there is room for a lot of improvement. However, the developers are indeed constantly improving and expanding the game in a way where I believe it can be enjoyable, even from the beginning. At first, I expected some sort of MapleI can understand why Terraria has a bad reputation. It's very difficult to get into, there is a very limited in game tutorial in the form of a "Guide," and there is room for a lot of improvement. However, the developers are indeed constantly improving and expanding the game in a way where I believe it can be enjoyable, even from the beginning. At first, I expected some sort of Maple Story/Minecraft mashup, which actually isn't an inaccurate judgement from a cursory glance. However, as I continued to play the game, I found it more and more enjoyable. Using outside resources and guides improved the game experience for me, but I don't know if that applies to everyone. I hope Terraria continues to expand so that gameplay becomes even more enjoyable. Expand
  73. Jan 19, 2012
    First thing I would like to point out is that this is not a minecraft clone, I was surprised about how the more I played, the less it seemed like minecraft, it takes more of the adventure parts of a sandbox and doesn't do much with building which I think is good as it allowed many different weapons and ways to explore
  74. Sep 15, 2011
    Terraria is an amazing game. I loved it from the first moment I heard about it. It never gets boring, there's always something to do. Amazing boss fights, awesome caves, challenging battles! There is something for everyone. You can build gigantic structures, explore caves and dungeons, mine ores to craft better and better tools... Overall a great game! Ignore anyone who says it sucks! ItTerraria is an amazing game. I loved it from the first moment I heard about it. It never gets boring, there's always something to do. Amazing boss fights, awesome caves, challenging battles! There is something for everyone. You can build gigantic structures, explore caves and dungeons, mine ores to craft better and better tools... Overall a great game! Ignore anyone who says it sucks! It most certainly doesn't! And it is not copying off Minecraft. Minecraft is a great game also, but they are both very different! Expand
  75. Sep 16, 2011
    One of the best games I have ever played in the 15 years I am alive. I'm not a big fan of over-done graphics and fancy effects and 3D which is why I was and still am very attracted to this game. It'd be ignorant to say this game isn't a Minecraft copy, because it is, but it's also much more than that, it has many more options and the great thing about the game is, is the fact that it keepsOne of the best games I have ever played in the 15 years I am alive. I'm not a big fan of over-done graphics and fancy effects and 3D which is why I was and still am very attracted to this game. It'd be ignorant to say this game isn't a Minecraft copy, because it is, but it's also much more than that, it has many more options and the great thing about the game is, is the fact that it keeps expanding with new features and the developers of the game actually listen what the community has to say and try to improve Terraria with the suggestions they get. Definitely worth the money and if you enjoy the simple style, I would definitely recommend it to play. Expand
  76. Sep 20, 2011
    Me, being a person who enjoyed the game that was out of my reach due to low ram, Minecraft, LOVE this game. It is super open-ended and way to easy to get into. The only problem is that it is too easy to complete. If you were to sit down and play the game ONCE through (without Hardcore on), it would be done in one day. Hardcore....maybe three. I love it, but a 9.0 is what its worth.
  77. Oct 6, 2011
    Every single negative review I've seen mentions Minecraft, when the fact is, this game has nothing to do with Minecraft. Notch himself has said he recognizes Terraria as a separate game, not as a copy of his own.

Now as for my review, I liked the game, but it does have issues. Many issues. For instance, once you get to a certain point, everything gets far too easy and boring. It feels more like a chore when your about five hours of game play in, if you work quickly enough. The bosses are great but there are so few of them that you have to fight the same ones to get materials for the really god items. While I understand this game is technically still being developed, it should be made obvious. It's not in beta, this is a release that just updates a lot. Also, I do not agree with the pricing. It is too high for what the game is.

Another thing about other reviews is they keep mentioning how terrible the graphics are, when that's the point. This game wasn't meant to look AMAZING. And if people can't see that, then they shouldn't have bought it in the first place, because it was obvious just looking at the games store page how it would look.

Back to my own review, I for one think the graphics are exactly what they were meant to be, and it looks good.

The long and short of it is, this game is not for people who buy high end computers so they can run games like Crysis 2 flawlessly. This game is, in fact, an indie game, and should be treated as such.
  78. Dec 2, 2011
    This game took me about fifteen minutes of saying "what the heck?" before it got me hooked. That said I'm 5 hours in or so and it's really impressing me. It may be simple graphics, but, if you really look you'll see tons of attention to detail with regards to lighting up different parts of the world. Water or lava effects the terrain in really incredible ways. This is no mario orThis game took me about fifteen minutes of saying "what the heck?" before it got me hooked. That said I'm 5 hours in or so and it's really impressing me. It may be simple graphics, but, if you really look you'll see tons of attention to detail with regards to lighting up different parts of the world. Water or lava effects the terrain in really incredible ways. This is no mario or metroid from ten years ago. This game is beautiful in it's own right. It's fun, creative, and the changing music as you dig deeper is a really nice touch. For what I paid this is a 10/10 Expand
  79. Oct 19, 2011
    Set in a charming 2D world, this game of building, exploring and combat is great fun, especially with a friend or seven in multiplayer. The smallest worlds are still a decent size, with the huge ones taking forever to explore. You can build a huge stone castle or a series of cosy wooden cottages. Many deadly enemies and huge bosses can be found, with dozens of interesting weapons andSet in a charming 2D world, this game of building, exploring and combat is great fun, especially with a friend or seven in multiplayer. The smallest worlds are still a decent size, with the huge ones taking forever to explore. You can build a huge stone castle or a series of cosy wooden cottages. Many deadly enemies and huge bosses can be found, with dozens of interesting weapons and tools available to help defeat them. This game can give you ten times as much fun as a game ten times the price. Expand
  80. Mar 21, 2012
    Ive been wandering around this game for a while until now were i just bought it on Steam. I love it. Its a 2D adventure rpg game where you can spend long hours and not being bored at all, at least for me. Most people prefer Minecraft because its 3D , its better bla bla bla, i dont care. Terraria has all that and more. Great weapons, great graphics despite being 2D, the bosses are great,Ive been wandering around this game for a while until now were i just bought it on Steam. I love it. Its a 2D adventure rpg game where you can spend long hours and not being bored at all, at least for me. Most people prefer Minecraft because its 3D , its better bla bla bla, i dont care. Terraria has all that and more. Great weapons, great graphics despite being 2D, the bosses are great, the environment is smooth and many more things that i cant explain because i have no words but just: its great. Also play with friends and enjoy hours of fun and creativeness, i recommend everyone stop playing Minecraft and just give a few hours of Terraria and then tell us what do you think about this. Expand
  81. Dec 27, 2014
    Great game with tons of content for price. It's nice to see that the devs are still updating it as well.

Think 2D minecraft with more focus on combat and crafting all kinds of crazy stuff.
  82. Aug 30, 2013
    Edit score updated since 'hard mode' was added to the game (and with more extra content and depth than any 'hard mode' I've ever seen in a videogame before).

I would have enjoyed this game far, far more if there were more challenging game modes. I play it hardcore to increase the challenge, but as most good gamers know, hardcore is a little more of an excersice in patience than it is skill, and it would have been nice to just see a 'hard' difficulty level, with stronger monsters, and perhaps with a save point each dawn, to up the challenge.
  83. Nov 13, 2011
    When i first started playing Terraria, i found it very similar to Minecraft. After logging about 27 hours on the game i realized it had a very different point to the game. It was more dungeoneering than building. Minecraft has the element that wants you to make a beast mansion. Then in Terraria It gives you the element to explore. Cave's, Sky Temples with locked chests, the underworldWhen i first started playing Terraria, i found it very similar to Minecraft. After logging about 27 hours on the game i realized it had a very different point to the game. It was more dungeoneering than building. Minecraft has the element that wants you to make a beast mansion. Then in Terraria It gives you the element to explore. Cave's, Sky Temples with locked chests, the underworld filled with lava. and last but not least corruption. on another point Minecraft is 3D as Terraria is 2D. Although this is usually a key part of a game in Terraria it doesn't seem to matter at all. So if i had to rate this game it would be a 10 out of 10. Just because they took the time to make a game that would not be as graphically good as Minecraft or other mining 3D games. So 10 out of 10 on my vote. amazing game. Expand
  84. Nov 17, 2011
    It's a decent game but gets boring after a while of playing. I by myself have played it only a total of 51 hours, and in most cases forced to. I personally do not enjoy the game as much as others do. I don't think there's anything wrong with me, it's just not my type. And I hate how you can get the best armors in a matter of 30 minutes or so, and after that you're done. Boom! Delete yourIt's a decent game but gets boring after a while of playing. I by myself have played it only a total of 51 hours, and in most cases forced to. I personally do not enjoy the game as much as others do. I don't think there's anything wrong with me, it's just not my type. And I hate how you can get the best armors in a matter of 30 minutes or so, and after that you're done. Boom! Delete your map and start over. The game is too simple to be super-duper amazing. Although I'm looking forward to the new update with lighting changes with a percentage of 50%. I'll probably give it a try, or maybe not. I'll just get another headache probably. Expand
  85. May 1, 2012
    When it was released, it was called a "2D clone of Minecraft". However, as the updates came in, it started gaining its own personality. The pixel art is charming. The exploration and mining aspects of the game are addictive; this iss one game where mining isn't boring, but rather enthralling. Also, you can reshape your world, which is something many players will spend hours into. A great,When it was released, it was called a "2D clone of Minecraft". However, as the updates came in, it started gaining its own personality. The pixel art is charming. The exploration and mining aspects of the game are addictive; this iss one game where mining isn't boring, but rather enthralling. Also, you can reshape your world, which is something many players will spend hours into. A great, well deserved 10 for this one. Expand
  86. Jan 6, 2013
    The pinnacle of sandbox games. If you're a MineCraft fan, definitely take a gander at one of the most interesting indie titles in a long time. This game made me a believer again. A believer in the magic of Gaming!
  87. Apr 1, 2012
    Play the game. Torrent it, borrow the .exe files from a friend, whatever you have to do. I am a firm believer of not judging a book by it's cover. If you don't like it, that's okay, but at least you tried it. I tried Minecraft, some time ago then again recently and I just can't get into it, it's so boring and tedious IMO. So try Terraria! if you like it, awesome, if not that's okay! Have fun. :D
  88. Dec 3, 2011
    Terraria has more weapons monster's, rpgsurvival elements, a wider selection of items, bosses, character customization and better exploration. This game feels like with every block you pick you achieve a task, there is so much to explore in a single world so much to collect so much to do. I've played this games for 100's of hours and still can't be pried away from it. It's simply one ofTerraria has more weapons monster's, rpgsurvival elements, a wider selection of items, bosses, character customization and better exploration. This game feels like with every block you pick you achieve a task, there is so much to explore in a single world so much to collect so much to do. I've played this games for 100's of hours and still can't be pried away from it. It's simply one of the most simplest indie 2d side scroller games ever. It has different things that have never been experienced by players. It's not minecraft its more than minecraft, 10/10 A diverse and new way to play! Expand
  89. Dec 1, 2011
    Only a fool would say that it Terraria is Minecraft. Yes, I do not like Mine, but I'm telling the truth is a different game! It makes sense! And not just dig, dig and dig ... In Terraria have bosses, dungeons, magic and much more! Pity the self-purchase Terraria, but not Minecraft.
    Thanks to Google Translate :) [Russia]
  90. Jan 24, 2012
    This game is awesome its graphics are very nostalgic the weapons and items are reminiscent of 'Minecraft' but this game is a whole lot different there's more items and weapons with the new updates plus new bosses whats not like? If your looking for a good game that's relatively cheap this is the game for you
  91. Dec 2, 2011
    Terraria is a true gem of a game, that is rivaling my desire to play Skyrim (which is quite an accomplishment).

Anyone that says Terraria is just 2D minecraft must not have played either game extensively. Perhaps they mined some mud in each, put them back on the ground in a row and made a house, and then came here and reviewed the games saying they were the same. Minecraft: Blocks +

Minecraft:
    Blocks + Pickaxe = House ---> End of Gameplay --->
    Quit.

Terraria:
    Blocks + Pickaxe = House -->
    Start of Gameplay -->

Actual Adventure to be had; Loads of legitimate monsters; Real items with Tiers and different stats; Bosses; Traps; Treasure; Loads of different environments to discover, with different challenges introduced with them; Tons of nifty gadgets to enjoy;
    So much more I've forgotten.

Once Minecraft implements half of these, then user's can start to claim a Minecraft is 3D Terraria (in that order)
  92. Dec 2, 2011
    It is a nice game, with tonnes of adventure, but only within a 2D environment and limited world, creativity is limited.
    You may get bored with the game once you finished all the adventures, like Dungeon and so. But the progress of getting the end-game gear is so fun that you cannot resist.
    PvP can get a bit frustrating as it is only intensive shooting and spamming bullet, but it can be fun sometimes though.
  93. Jan 17, 2012
    So, I think this game is amazing. I wanted to wait to see what kind of content they came out with before giving my rating to the game. After playing for months on end, and still having fun building, exploring, trading, designing, fighting ect...I still have a ton of fun playing the game. The reason I give a 9 out of 10, is becuase of 2 minor complaints. The single player mode is boringSo, I think this game is amazing. I wanted to wait to see what kind of content they came out with before giving my rating to the game. After playing for months on end, and still having fun building, exploring, trading, designing, fighting ect...I still have a ton of fun playing the game. The reason I give a 9 out of 10, is becuase of 2 minor complaints. The single player mode is boring after a while. It does take a long time, and it would be helpful if you could copy rooms if you have the materials. Just simple things, like a wall that is x blocks high, a matching wall on the other side, an automatic roof and automatic background. The background gets very tedious, especially if you want to do something complicated or layered. They did address this, so it is only a minor concern. The other problem I have is no good multilayer support yet. I understand if they cannot create dedicated servers for the game, but Steam has server support for all kinds of games already. Also, there is still a low cap of players which is annoying. I would love to come with a team of people and build a city or something, but 4 people just doesn't cut it, and even building a tower takes a long time. I very much look forward to playing this game for a long time, and hope to see continued content updates that both focus on balancing things you can build/design and things you can fight/craft. I think the sky is the limit for this game, and as long as you have an imagination, you will be very happy playing. For people looking for a more structured game experience, with a start, middle and end, then this game is not for you. There is no end for the game, and you can keep coming up with new things and making even more interesting towns

The biggest pluses for this game for me, especially with the advent of switches, is the limitless things you can build and create. You can build modern looking skyscrapers, and you can build castles/dungeons. You can make houses out of anything, and even create bio-domes that capture the essences of a type of area. You can build, craft, fight, explore, treasure hunt, PvP. It may have no start, middle or end, and it may be easy to get max hearts/mana (which I hope they increase in later updates though a more difficult way of getting them), but the amount of depth to the game is huge. It would probably take a month of solid game play to find the mats for and craft the best stuff. You could spend an entire year building a city and underground if you wanted to, and make your own world. The only limiting factor to this game is you.
  94. Dec 23, 2011
    Terraria is a great game. I got is for $2.50 on steam and even purchased as a gift for a friend. The server capabilities are there and its a cinch to set up and for anyone to log on. The game is an old school sidescroller so if you care about graphics, this is not your game. If you want some thing that will give you 50+ hours of fun in pvp with friends, cave exploration, many differentTerraria is a great game. I got is for $2.50 on steam and even purchased as a gift for a friend. The server capabilities are there and its a cinch to set up and for anyone to log on. The game is an old school sidescroller so if you care about graphics, this is not your game. If you want some thing that will give you 50+ hours of fun in pvp with friends, cave exploration, many different biomes (with even a Christmas themed winter biome released for the holidays) upgrading weapons and equipment and defeating bosses with a 2nd playthrough built into the experience, then this is your game. There are many options that you can tweek to tailor to your gaming experience. It's slow in the beginning before you get armor, ore and other things but there is a built in NPC that will tell you how to craft various items and how to move forward in your quest. This game is definitely the best when you get some friends together and start finding items to help prepare you for your first boss fight. Get this game when it's on sale on steam and you can go wrong! Expand
  95. Dec 26, 2011
    If you like Minecraft, you'll most likely love this game. It has the building and creativity aspect of Minecraft with much more adventure to it. The bosses and events are a lot of fun and your loot actually means something here in Terraria. I loved Minecraft but tossed it aside when I tried Terraria. Multiplayer in Terraria is much better than Minecraft too. On the Minecraft server myIf you like Minecraft, you'll most likely love this game. It has the building and creativity aspect of Minecraft with much more adventure to it. The bosses and events are a lot of fun and your loot actually means something here in Terraria. I loved Minecraft but tossed it aside when I tried Terraria. Multiplayer in Terraria is much better than Minecraft too. On the Minecraft server my friends and I had, we just went about building our things and checking out each other's creations but that was all there was to do. In Terraria we band up and go exploring because it really helps with more people, where as helping your buddy mine in minecraft is BORING. Big improvement imho! Expand
  96. Jan 10, 2012
    This game follows the same crack-addiction do-nothing gameplay (in the sense that you can spend many hours building a house just to realize you just spent many hours building an in-game house...) that Minecraft uses but does it a little differently. Terraria is more combat/exploration driven than Minecraft, which is more building driven. As such, Terraria tends to feel limited by it'sThis game follows the same crack-addiction do-nothing gameplay (in the sense that you can spend many hours building a house just to realize you just spent many hours building an in-game house...) that Minecraft uses but does it a little differently. Terraria is more combat/exploration driven than Minecraft, which is more building driven. As such, Terraria tends to feel limited by it's content while Minecraft tends to feel limited by imagination. Luckily, I have no imagination, so Terraria was a nice change of pace. So what is Terraria? It's basically a game about mining and exploring. You can craft things with your minerals, fight monsters, and trigger world-changing events. I've spent about 30 hours with the game and have seen most of the content (I played through with two friends, one who's spent twice as much time as me with it). Overall everything about the game is pretty fun and I don't want to spoil anything. I got a lot of laughs and enjoyment from the game. My three complaints are that the UI can be frustrating, searching for specific minerals is annoying, and the game is extremely content dependent and my interest fell HARD when content ran out. Other than that, I had a great time. Definitely worth the price, especially if you have friends to play with. Expand
  97. Jan 14, 2012
    This game is fun and surprisingly less money than it is worth. If you like mining, crafting, exploring and fighting evil, then this is a good game for you.
  98. Jan 20, 2012
    Terraria is a great game, and despite the many accusations, it is not like Minecraft at all, except for the idea of digging, and Minecraft was definitely not the first to include this type of gameplay, just the first to make it famous. The game is pretty cool, but after beating all the bosses, you very quickly reach a point in the game where there is honestly not much to do. At this pointTerraria is a great game, and despite the many accusations, it is not like Minecraft at all, except for the idea of digging, and Minecraft was definitely not the first to include this type of gameplay, just the first to make it famous. The game is pretty cool, but after beating all the bosses, you very quickly reach a point in the game where there is honestly not much to do. At this point you can build stuff, which can be a lot of fun, but there isn't much of a sense of accomplishment. Multiplayer pvp is pretty boring, since no sane person would enter a pvp without the best armors and weapons in the game. When everyone has identical loadouts, it's just like any 2d platforming pvp game. However, I still love the game, and I like looking on Curse to see the latest build somebody has made. There are all kinds of cool adventure and rpg maps. Since the game has so much downloadable content, it is worth getting. Get it if you like a good, simple slash-everything-to-bits game with a touch of RPG and lots of building. Expand
  99. Dec 11, 2013
    When it was initially released, I thought Terraria was an alright game, not great but not terrible either. With the recent 1.2 update, I gave the game another shot and it is such an improvement over the original version. Retro graphics and sound is a nice touch and the expansive worlds provide a great deal of freedom and exploration as there are a variety of biomes, enemies and loot to beWhen it was initially released, I thought Terraria was an alright game, not great but not terrible either. With the recent 1.2 update, I gave the game another shot and it is such an improvement over the original version. Retro graphics and sound is a nice touch and the expansive worlds provide a great deal of freedom and exploration as there are a variety of biomes, enemies and loot to be discovered. The inclusion of an optional tutorial would be nice for newcomers though and I would've liked some more guidance in terms of crafting items, as I found myself constantly alt-tabbing to check a wiki. Options for world generation would be nice as well, so I don't have to generate a whole bunch for a pyramid or something. There is a sense of progression in the game which does make Terraria more accessible for players who find absolute freedom a little daunting. Even for players who aren't into building great spectacles of creativity, there was much fun to be had in acquiring the best gear available.

Overall a good game, but not without a couple flaws. The icing on the cake is the game is very cheap so get it now if you haven't already!
  100. Mar 9, 2012
    It's basically Minecraft in 2D and the lovely settings help making it a bit more than the game that copied Minecraft. For a cheap price you can play hours and hours and explore the places around you. The gameplay is extremely well made and offers a lot of possibilities. All in all a very good game, addicting and with a great replay value.
  101. Dec 22, 2011
    Terraria is probably my game of the year. You will not find better value for 10$

If played solo, the game is only good. If played with friends, it is exquisite. Minecraft - well, is boring. There is little to do. The combat mechanics suck. Everything is ugly. Terraria is the opposite. There is a point - and since the latest 1.1 patch the amount of content has gone through the roof, snow

If played solo, the game is only good. If played with friends, it is exquisite.

Terraria is the opposite. There is a point - and since the latest 1.1 patch the amount of content has gone through the roof, snow biomes, new bosses, hardmode, tons of new monsters and items.

If you don't like Terraria, you either have no soul, or are not really a gamer.

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.