8.5

1. Jul 21, 2011
    one of this games features is also one of its worst, when you see Terraria you think Minecraft and this is what bigs it up but also lets it down. I will start by saying I bought Terraria one week ago and when I first started I was like "what the hell do I do here" and before long I was devoured by zombies, I left it for about an hour until a friend noticed i had bought it and asked me howone of this games features is also one of its worst, when you see Terraria you think Minecraft and this is what bigs it up but also lets it down. I will start by saying I bought Terraria one week ago and when I first started I was like "what the hell do I do here" and before long I was devoured by zombies, I left it for about an hour until a friend noticed i had bought it and asked me how I liked it, after an in depth discussion and a link to the wiki I had another shot at it. With the help of the wiki and my friend I really got into the game, after four days playing we had beaten the eye of cthulhu, used the drops to make a better pick and the game spiralled upwards from there .
    Now, my first point was that when people play this and are expecting minecraft they get let down because this game isn't minecraft. When people play expecting a fun multiplayer sandbox based explorer they get given what they expect, a fun entertaining game.

In summary:-

Graphics - (9) - The graphics in Terraria are good for what they are trying to be, They aren't fancy but they accomplish what they set out to do.

Gameplay - (8) - Terraria is a bit of a slow burning start, with no real tutorial and most users having to look on the wiki. However when taught to use it even new players get the hang of it quickly and learn from there. The actual gameplay itself is the same, it starts slow but picks up speed as you progress and once you get near the end the gameplay is so fast when you see new players you remember how frustrated you got before you made the big push forward.

Concept - (9) - no matter how much you wish this was Minecraft it is not, and for good reason. Terraria developed its own identity a while ago and it may well be a channel for Minecraft veterans and vice versa but Terraria will keep growing and will surpass Minecraft until you hear whispers of "Hey, have you tried that game, what's it called.... oh yeah, Minecraft."
    "No, What is it." "It's like Terraria!"

General - (10) - With Terraria constantly expanding it will develop into a great game for all. It is consistently in the top ten games on steam and hits and stays at number one for a long time when a new update comes out. You are never short of a multiplayer game to join and its great fun with friends

Price - (10) - for £6/$10 there are few other games you could buy that give you this much enjoyment and if you got 3 friends together and bought the four pack then it would save you £1.50/$2.50 each. is that still too much, then trawl the steam forum and you can find people touting the remains of a four pack for considerably less, I grabbed a bargain and scored a copy for my brother for £1.25/$2

Want to play, Add me on steam. ID - Jimjam03
  2. Jun 20, 2011
    One of the greatest 2D platformers to come out in recent years, and the first 2D platformer to have a real open-world destructible/buildable environment, complete with dungeons and bosses. Numerous and varied weapons, armour and special items will keep you digging and fighting for hours and hours. -And i can all be played in multiplayer! It's like the beautiful freak child of metroidvaniaOne of the greatest 2D platformers to come out in recent years, and the first 2D platformer to have a real open-world destructible/buildable environment, complete with dungeons and bosses. Numerous and varied weapons, armour and special items will keep you digging and fighting for hours and hours. -And i can all be played in multiplayer! It's like the beautiful freak child of metroidvania and Minecraft. Expand
  3. May 17, 2011
  4. May 19, 2011
    One of the best games I've played this year. Combine features of old Legend of Zelda games with a 2D platformer and Minecraftesque building and mining and you get this. I was skeptical at first but that was completely gone after the first hour of playing. Whether you're building an awesome fortress, fighting one of the huge and difficult bosses, defending your fortress against an onslaughtOne of the best games I've played this year. Combine features of old Legend of Zelda games with a 2D platformer and Minecraftesque building and mining and you get this. I was skeptical at first but that was completely gone after the first hour of playing. Whether you're building an awesome fortress, fighting one of the huge and difficult bosses, defending your fortress against an onslaught or zombies or goblins, or adventuring and looking for loot, it's rarely a dull moment.

$10 is definitely worth the money. If you thought Minecraft was too expensive but still wanted to play a similar game, get this, you won't regret it.
  5. May 22, 2011
    This game is the best $10 of gaming gold you could ever spend.

BAM! You're dumped in the wilderness with a few trees around the place. What-chu gonna do? Don't sniff the roses too long, those mushrooms can wait to be picked, you better get to chopping some wood and making a goddamn house with your BARE HANDS. "But what about that awesome looking naturally formed cave over there?! I can
    This game is the best $10 of gaming gold you could ever spend.

"But what about that awesome looking naturally formed cave over there?! I can see some clay pots that are begging for me to smash them?" I hear you ask? NO. The sun is setting soon, you woke up at mid-day and the zombies and demonic flying eyeballs are just waiting for the sun to set to get a taste of your tender meaty arms and legs!

Now that you're safe and sound, crying in the fetal position in the corner of your small hut while zombies bash at your door, you can think about what you're going to make of yourself. Are you gonna mine the crap out of the surrounding land finding ores, trinkets and riches? Are you going to scour the surface for the corruption that plagues the land with pure evil? Maybe you want to find the forbidden demon god dungeon of doom death hell at one of the corners of the map? Maybe you should just think of how to build yourself a second floor in your house for a buddy... go slow son. This world aint forgiving.
  6. May 17, 2011
    This game has had my interest for some time. After I became bored with Minecraft and stopped playing it, I found out about this game. After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it. There is so much to see and do. The art and game play are exceptional. When first starting, everything seemed so much similar to Minecraft. But after an hour of playing, I cameThis game has had my interest for some time. After I became bored with Minecraft and stopped playing it, I found out about this game. After buying it for a few friends and myself, we have all become addicted to it. There is so much to see and do. The art and game play are exceptional. When first starting, everything seemed so much similar to Minecraft. But after an hour of playing, I came to realize just how different the games really are. There is so much more to discover in this game, and so many more reasons to discover these things! Definitely go and buy it for the $10. It is worth it all. Expand
  7. May 19, 2011
    I believe that Indie developers are the key to thinking outside of the box to create games that aren't copying others entirely. Sure this game shares similarites with Minecraft and other games, but I believe this mashup of Minecraft, RPG and adventure games makes this title quite unique. Its an absolutely awesome game that I think everyone should play. It's only $10 people, buy it now andI believe that Indie developers are the key to thinking outside of the box to create games that aren't copying others entirely. Sure this game shares similarites with Minecraft and other games, but I believe this mashup of Minecraft, RPG and adventure games makes this title quite unique. Its an absolutely awesome game that I think everyone should play. It's only $10 people, buy it now and have some fun, Terraria is excellent. Expand
  8. May 19, 2011
    This game is incredible. It takes the building and mining of Minecraft and puts it together with the equipment, combat, looting, and dungeon crawling of a sidescrolling action RPG. Don't listen to the people who give it negative score and say it's a "Minecraft Copy". It's obviously inspired by Minecraft but this game differs in that instead of just being a creative building tool likeThis game is incredible. It takes the building and mining of Minecraft and puts it together with the equipment, combat, looting, and dungeon crawling of a sidescrolling action RPG. Don't listen to the people who give it negative score and say it's a "Minecraft Copy". It's obviously inspired by Minecraft but this game differs in that instead of just being a creative building tool like Minecraft, it's more about the adventure as you are rewarded more for exploring and combat and boss fights than anything else.

At first glance it may look like a 2D Minecraft but when you actually put time in to it and give it a chance you will see this game has an incredible amount of depth that Minecraft and most other games do not have.
  9. May 20, 2011
    this game is awesome. like mine craft meets Zelda type deal.i love how the mob re-spawn and bug while you try and build and explore makes the game a real fun challenge back when games were actually a challenge like NES days
  10. May 19, 2011
    Terraria takes the concept of Minecraft and makes it 2D. The art direction is reminiscent of some of the later offerings on the SNES, which in my book is a good thing. The game is about exploration and crafting, much like minecraft, though the crafting is done through an intuitive menu where it shows you what you can make, based on what materials you have. There is also a guideTerraria takes the concept of Minecraft and makes it 2D. The art direction is reminiscent of some of the later offerings on the SNES, which in my book is a good thing. The game is about exploration and crafting, much like minecraft, though the crafting is done through an intuitive menu where it shows you what you can make, based on what materials you have. There is also a guide character that will give you helpful tips, but in the end is more a nuisance as he has the tendency to open the door to your house and let monsters in. I think an option to turn him off would have been a good thing. Still, the game is quite fun overall. Expand
  11. May 19, 2011
    For £5.99 I've had more hours of enjoyment and more 'game' than any major full price game in a long time. If you're a fan of Metroidvania style games I'd definitely give this a shot. Randomly generated worlds are the way to go!
  12. May 17, 2011
    This is an amazingly well done game for such a small development crew. At ten dollars, you get more gameplay than the typical fifty dollar commercial game. In addition, regular content updates will keep the game fresh for a long, long time. If you've enjoyed Minecraft, Zelda, Castlevania, and even Metroid, this game has something to offer you. It's a game about exploration, defense, andThis is an amazingly well done game for such a small development crew. At ten dollars, you get more gameplay than the typical fifty dollar commercial game. In addition, regular content updates will keep the game fresh for a long, long time. If you've enjoyed Minecraft, Zelda, Castlevania, and even Metroid, this game has something to offer you. It's a game about exploration, defense, and the eventual mastery of your environment. My only complaint is the lack of an instruction manual, but the discovery actually adds more than it subtracts.

This game is fantastic and I recommend every single person on the planet buy it. It approaches perfection.
  13. May 20, 2011
    I think the comparisons to Minecraft are justified, but there is an easy way to describe the differences between the two (I think others here have said it as well). Minecraft is crafting/creating focused and Terraria is action/exploration focused. Both have crafting, creating, exploration, and action, but Terraria definitely emphasizes on its exploration and action. I own and enjoyI think the comparisons to Minecraft are justified, but there is an easy way to describe the differences between the two (I think others here have said it as well). Minecraft is crafting/creating focused and Terraria is action/exploration focused. Both have crafting, creating, exploration, and action, but Terraria definitely emphasizes on its exploration and action. I own and enjoy Minecraft, but the "fun factor" seems much high for Terraria. I love the design and crafting features as they are more streamlined than in Minecraft. I think that it is one of the best games I've ever played. I'll end by saying this:
    If you played Minecraft and thought it was a good idea, but didn't get sucked in like many others, give Terraria a try. For $10 bucks it is worth the price of admission for any Minecraft / adventure game fan.
  14. May 18, 2011
    I initially bought Terraria because I loved Minecraft, and was interested about how it would play out in 2D. At first I thought it was just going to be a cheap knockoff of Minecraft, and boy was I wrong. Terraria really feels like a nice throwback to the retro era with its pixel art and retro music, and really feels like a cross of Castlevania with Minecraft. Admittedly, construction isI initially bought Terraria because I loved Minecraft, and was interested about how it would play out in 2D. At first I thought it was just going to be a cheap knockoff of Minecraft, and boy was I wrong. Terraria really feels like a nice throwback to the retro era with its pixel art and retro music, and really feels like a cross of Castlevania with Minecraft. Admittedly, construction is a bit lacking compared to Minecraft, but the significantly deeper exploration, combat, and items really make up for it. Terraria really feels like less of a "creativity toy" like Minecraft and much more like an actual game. Best of all, it's only $10! Go and get it. Now. Expand
  15. May 17, 2011
  16. May 20, 2011
    I've been searching for a fun game that lasts a while and I found it. Crafting in this game keeps you occupied because finding the materials is both time consuming and challenging. Also, I find the graphics suitable for this type game where Minecraft was a bit too poor looking for me.
  17. May 21, 2011
    Terraria is not just another minecraft clone. It takes a few core aspects and turns it into a fantastic 2d side scrolling adventure. From boss fights, do dungeon exploration, anything is possible. The NPC's are quite useful, and with free content updates, this game will never become dull. The words "Minecraft clone" really hold no presence in this game. Anyone calling it a cloneTerraria is not just another minecraft clone. It takes a few core aspects and turns it into a fantastic 2d side scrolling adventure. From boss fights, do dungeon exploration, anything is possible. The NPC's are quite useful, and with free content updates, this game will never become dull. The words "Minecraft clone" really hold no presence in this game. Anyone calling it a clone should honestly be told that Minecraft is just an Infiniminer clone. With Minecrafts success, it is no wonder more games with aspects of it would come out. I for one am glad that this game has gotten a large amount of sales, I love the genre and am happy Minecraft isn't the only game to take suit in the genre.

after 50+ hours, i can easily give this a 10 / 10
  18. Jul 12, 2011
    If you liked/played Minecraft and want to buy this game because you think this is similar, then this is the review for you.

My very first thought was: this gotta be a Minecraft clone in 2D. I like minecraft, so why shouldnt i give this one a chance? Plus, i like Platformers, so how could i get wrong? To be honest, my first impression was a really bad one. After creating a detailed

To be honest, my first impression was a really bad one. After creating a detailed character for your adventure and choosing the world's size, you're dropped in a landscape with nothing but a guy next to you called "guide". The Guide gives you a few random tips, but only the first 4 or 5 are really usefull. Since the game does not provide any other form or tutorial, your first instinct is to read through all the tips. After around half of them you'll be totally confused and they'll stop making sense to someone who just played the game. The basic mechanisms of the game, such as crafting (which is REALLY essential) are not explained in detail. I had to watch tutorials on youtube in order to understand how to get started. Since there is a huge community for this game, it was not hard to find a good tutorial in no time. Still i dont think this is how it should be.

Like in Minecraft, you can harvest ressources such as wood, stone, iron ores and so on using the right tools. The resources can be placed in order to build structures, traps and so on, or they can be crafted, for example into better tools, pieces of armor or even weapons. Unlike minecraft, this game has a remarkable focus on defeating enemies, exploring dangerous caves and areas, dungeons and even finding magic pieces of equipment that increase your character's skills. Even spells, guns and many types of weapons can be found in chests, crafted or looted from killed enemies. You can improve your maximum health and acquire mana-energy which is used to cast spells (which can be rarely found). Several random events can take place in the world, most of them will confront you with threats in form of enemies. Even strong Bosses may occur which turn out to be a real challange without being too hard to beat, provided you have the right gear.

If you want to dig your way to the lowest levels of the game: have fun, it might take a while. The world is limited into all 4 directions (up, down, left, right) but there is more than enough space in all directions, and all of the directions (even up) has something interesting to explore. You can move around the world and find different Biomes which also have different undergrounds. Those vary in difficulty significantly, but since you always start in the "easiest biome" with the "easiest underground", thats fine.

If you think you're done with one world, you can just create another one and play it with your old char. You, of course, keep your items and upgrades. The same works vice versa: If you cant get enough of your current world, you can create a new character and play the world again. Structures built and wholes dug of course remain in the game.

As the Game goes on, you can even have NPCs move into your house (provided certain criteria are met or certain tasks have been fulfilled). The NPCs are mainly shops that sell potions, basic equipments, weapons and vanity items.

Now to the "But"s. There are quite a few of them. At first, the game seems to have a lot of content and it is a hell lot of fun to explore it. But you quickly realise: as soon as you have mid-game-gear (acquireable in only a few hours if you know where to find it), you already run out of challanges. While your first boss fight might have taken you quite some time and nerves, you'll quickly find yourself spamming that boss only a few hours later. The underground levels become boring really fast since they offer even less of a challange. As soon as you have reached high end gear (which as well can be acquired in no time if you know how), nothing can stop you.

While at first trying to acquire every little ore you find, later you'll even leave valuable ores behind because harvesting them is still unrewarding as soon as you got your gear.

I'll draw a quick bottom line since i'm running out of characters. This game IS fun, i'll give it that. But this is not the kind of game you can play every day. This is not minecraft. It has nothing to do with it except that you can dig and craft. It is more like an RPG. And as soon as you got your gear, you'll bore yourself to hell. Starting a new character wont help because as soon as you know how to get better gear or where to find it, you'll have maxed your second char in one or two evenings, facing the same problem again you had yesterday: you got nothing left to do.

This game needs more challanges on the long run. But for the first time playing, it will be fun, i promise it. And though this is not a long-term-burner, spending those 10 bucks on it aint the worst decision to make.
  19. May 21, 2011
    Had me sitting there wondering what I should do? Digging at a "1 minute per swing" pace? I really hate slow games. I play games to play, not stare at the screen waiting for it to do what I want it to do. Instructions should be upfront not inbuilt to a guide guy who I have to find and sometime he is deep underground stuck can't get out while I have to work out what the game wants me to do.
  20. Jul 2, 2011
    Comparing Minecraft to Terraria is like Halo to Half Life whilst they both share similarities it is only skin deep. If you go to play this game thinking it will be creative fiesta like Miencraft you will be dissapointed and if you go in thinking it will be a lousy 2D version of it you will be pleasantly suprised. The fun in Terraria is not in creating like Minecraft but in the explorationComparing Minecraft to Terraria is like Halo to Half Life whilst they both share similarities it is only skin deep. If you go to play this game thinking it will be creative fiesta like Miencraft you will be dissapointed and if you go in thinking it will be a lousy 2D version of it you will be pleasantly suprised. The fun in Terraria is not in creating like Minecraft but in the exploration and gameplay. Expand
  21. Mar 30, 2013
    Terraria is a really fun game and should not be determined by the graphics. You can do anything from building a castle to making a hellevator. There is no end to this spectacular game
  22. Aug 7, 2012
    Unfortunately some of the below reviewers lack the attention span to play the game for more than a few minutes. If they did, I believe they would truly find the game interesting. Once all of the hard work is over, it pays off with a very fun experience that may not be completely original, but earns its respective awards.

I used to be that much of a Minecraft fanboy before, too. When I

I used to be that much of a Minecraft fanboy before, too. When I finally bought it...it paid off. Although it's 2D, it pulls it off with tremendous extravagance. The gameplay, after a few moments of slowness in the beginning, turns into a rapidly proceeding thrill. The inventive enemies, bosses, weapons and potions help keep the game competitive, while still allowing you to just build to your heart's content. The vast selection of items, materials, accessories and more present you with a nearly unlimited amount of fun to explore and expand with your own original creations and ideas. The physics of the game are quite advanced, and if used right, can be played to an advantage in the game.

All-in-all, for an Indie game, it's an amazing production. It's a shame that it had to end so abruptly, but Redigit had his own family matters to deal with. Nevertheless, community content and the arbitrary generation is enough to keep me satisfied for a long time! 10/10!
  23. May 8, 2013
    A really great 2D game. Spent playing this game on explore and kill the bosses with my friend. There so many thing in this simple game that you can't even imagine. You thing this is like MineCraft IT'S NOT.... try spent some hours on it and you wil found out it yourself. I recommend playing with friends and good luck.
  24. Aug 6, 2011
    Interesting game with a sand box style that has a much heavier idea of combat than minecraft had. I prefer this 2d setting to any other virtual sandbox's so far personally.
  25. Aug 19, 2011
    WOW! For $10 I got 40 hours of non-stop fun from this game, it was very well thought out and this would have to be one of my favourite games of all time!
    I recommend this most definitely to anyone!
  26. Aug 24, 2011
    A great game, especially for the price. Some may say its a ripoff of Minecraft, but I would have to disagree, I own both games and have spent hundreds of hours in both. Think of it as a 2D version of minecraft that had much less emphasis on building things, and much more emphasis on adventure and combat. if you liked Minecraft, you will very likely love Terraria as well. The only real badA great game, especially for the price. Some may say its a ripoff of Minecraft, but I would have to disagree, I own both games and have spent hundreds of hours in both. Think of it as a 2D version of minecraft that had much less emphasis on building things, and much more emphasis on adventure and combat. if you liked Minecraft, you will very likely love Terraria as well. The only real bad thing is when you have collected pretty much everything... because at that point, it doesnt really feel like you have all too much left to do in the game. Expand
  27. Oct 26, 2011
    very fun game that feels like an epic adventure in 2d. you gather resources to build your home and equipment in order to fight stronger and stronger enemies. there is a sense of discovery as you dig through the world looking for special items and precious metals. there are so many things to do and you have total freedom like minecraft. it has a periodic updates and there is lots of customvery fun game that feels like an epic adventure in 2d. you gather resources to build your home and equipment in order to fight stronger and stronger enemies. there is a sense of discovery as you dig through the world looking for special items and precious metals. there are so many things to do and you have total freedom like minecraft. it has a periodic updates and there is lots of custom content put out by the community, so it never gets boring. Expand
  28. Oct 30, 2013
    Terraria is a great 2D version of Minecraft with heaps to do and it should keep you busy for quite some time. There are many secrets to discover and locations to visit and it is really up to you how you want to play. The only negatives are that the actual inventory screen is a little bit cumbersome, and there is not a large amount of early game assistance, meaning that newcomers mayTerraria is a great 2D version of Minecraft with heaps to do and it should keep you busy for quite some time. There are many secrets to discover and locations to visit and it is really up to you how you want to play. The only negatives are that the actual inventory screen is a little bit cumbersome, and there is not a large amount of early game assistance, meaning that newcomers may initially be overwhelmed by the large scope of what the game has to offer. Once you're drawn in though, expect to lose many hours. Expand
  29. Oct 6, 2014
    Terraria is totally a great game. I love the background music, and the game play is really smooth, and fighting those enemies is just exciting. I have already bought it on Steam, App Store, and Windows Phone Store.
  30. Jul 13, 2011
    one of the funnest games i've ever played. i never thought a 2D minecraft would be fun or even possible but they did it. also the price is fantastic, definitely worth $10
  31. Jul 26, 2011
    Huge game. Good controls. UI is a little wonky, but you can get used to it. Not a fan of not leveling up, seems like the perfect opportunity. I don't get any satisfaction from killing baddies without getting XP, but that's just me.
  32. Dec 15, 2011
    This is more than what most people call it - a minecraft ripoff in 2D. True enough, it's 2D and it has building mechanisms similar to minecraft, but there're more. It has a social interface similar to Animal Crossing: Wild World, where, after building your own town and clearing achievements, NPCs will start moving into your houses, provided that the conditions are met (of course, theThis is more than what most people call it - a minecraft ripoff in 2D. True enough, it's 2D and it has building mechanisms similar to minecraft, but there're more. It has a social interface similar to Animal Crossing: Wild World, where, after building your own town and clearing achievements, NPCs will start moving into your houses, provided that the conditions are met (of course, the social interface isn't as full developed as Animal Crossing). It also as a mining interface similar to motherlord, the acclaimed flash game in miniclip. You get to dig deep down into the earth for rare minerals and ores, and you can craft your items with those materials. It also has a 2D fighting interface similar to maple story, where you battle monsters and creeps in this side-scrolling game. As such, it's really is not simply a minecraft rip off in 2D, but a hybrid of many other titles that are acclaimed in their own genre of game. Get it, especially if it's on discount and you have the cash to spare. Expand
  33. Jan 1, 2012
    This game may appear to be a minecraft ripoff, but as it turns out , this it the most amazing game ive played in awhile. There is much more content then there is on minecraft and its just....So amazingly fun.
  34. Nov 28, 2011
    Very immersive and expansive sandbox game with soooo much to explore and do. If you're iffy on it or hate it or have friends that do, think about this: Terreria and Minecraft both have bad graphics right? No, wrong, completely wrong. Think about Terraria or Minecraft with good graphics. Now think about cutting down a tree or mining some ore or whatnot etc. Now think about doing it inVery immersive and expansive sandbox game with soooo much to explore and do. If you're iffy on it or hate it or have friends that do, think about this: Terreria and Minecraft both have bad graphics right? No, wrong, completely wrong. Think about Terraria or Minecraft with good graphics. Now think about cutting down a tree or mining some ore or whatnot etc. Now think about doing it in HD. In HD, --depending on the style/way it's rendered what engine or modeling/animation program is used etc.,-- it'd be impossible to reasonable integrate the whole sandbox aspect that Terraria and Minecraft both have somewhat in common (simply put they're both open world sandboxes that heavily involve exploring etc). Lets say you're mining some ___ ore in "HD", How could you tell how much you've mined over a period of X seconds? In 3D, how could that be represented? 1 block? 1 Pound? 1 Ore? In Minecraft, simple is better (i.e. 1 block, which is very easily visually represented, as it is in Terraria) else the whole sandbox idea would be hard to flow with, as 1 block is a fairly easy unit of measurement. In Terraria, sure it's 2D (not NES/SNES graphics, not DOS, they're just 2D), but the sprites are original and good quality (for sprites, don't say anything if it includes "bad sprites". They are sprites, they're not going to be Ultra High quality, they're 2D, like the terrain in most "3D" games (flat texture that, on flat ground, doesn't involve much texture wrapping). Terraria has options for Small, Medium and Large worlds, and with the size increases, distances to certain areas might also increase. There are very many areas to explore, a multitude of things to find, craft and so on, and with the inclusion of the 1.1 update in ~2 days (222 new items, 3 new NPC's (minecraft doesn't have interactive NPC's in the first place) , that vast amount of original content and gameplay will only increase, as well as a visual improvement to Terraria's visually pleasing 2D graphics. This is NOT a minecraft ripoff, it is a sandbox, minecraft is also a sandbox. The graphics are not bad, they are 2D, and they are good quality for 2D at that. Terraria has a vast amount of room for exploration, there are bosses, multiple mobs with drops (forgot to mention minecraft lacks a combat system, and no, killing a spider, skeleton, creeper, zombie or whatever is NOT combat). In Terraria, mobs occur regularly above ground at night, or during the day in the corruption biome, and are always found underground. In addition, when you die in Terraria, you lose half the amount of coins (which can be stored in chests) you have on you, (I don't care if losing everything is realistic if you lose everything). If you want to die like you do in minecraft, wait until the 1.1 update and enable Hardcore mode (player explodes upon death, and loses everything in inventory). One last note on the graphics, minecraft isn't high quality either, and IMO, it's easier to have a good looking "lower quality" 2D game, then it is to have a good looking "lower quality" 3D game, because it's easier to put more detail into sprites and whatnot then upscaling textures (what's the point of a HD texture on a flat out cube?). If you're thinking of buying Terraria, IMO it's worth $10, it hasn't gotten me bored yet, while I was bored of minecraft forever (personal opinion though) and while Terraria takes ~30mins-1hour (depending on how far you get) to get into it, once you're into it, its completely addictive. and a nice thing about the Developers is that they support the game as long as fans support them with an interest in Terraria, and suggestions (such as new in game mechanics, items, improvements, anything really) can be made and the Devs are happy to include such wanted new features in official updates. No complications with mods, user created content, it's all handled directly by the Devs and implemented directly into the core game. As a final note, Multiplayer in Terraria is like Single player with someone else's character in your world at the same time as you (CO-OP gameplay, or PVP, if you want.) Expand
  35. Jul 29, 2011
    Quite simply it is fun. I like the randomness of the worlds and the general feel of the game is
    "8-Bit". The music is catchy and there is alot to do. Kill creeps, explore and craft better tools
    and weapons. If you have any interest in games it is worth looking into.
  36. Aug 15, 2011
    Beautiful game, beautiful sound and inviting music game play is just O.K very intriguing and overall: a better game than Minecraft! Bosses are again O.K and very interesting
  37. Jun 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terraria is a Great game with a huge Depth.
    The thing about Minecraft istn't right at all.... Minecraft in 2D? the only reference to Minecraft is the Blocky World and thats all. and while Minecraft Focuses on Building stuff in 3D, Terraria focuses on Adventure, awesome items to play with, Plenty of Monsters and even Bosses.
    Terraria does everything Notch (Developer of Minecraft) wasn't able to do in Minecraft.
    He can't bring fun in the game by the meaning of Adventure there is just no Adventure in MInecraft but in Terraria its full of Adventure and thats what makes the People play it. there are just so many more Furniture, Weapons, Accesoires, Armor types and other Funny items you can use and its not just "Search for Diamonds and then you can Build what you want" its a game for Adventurers and Explorer.
    The Haters are given a 0 just because they cant accept innovations Rating a game 0 because it reminds them of Minecraft is just not acceptable.
    "Look its a Computer Game it must be a Copy of PONG!"
    and Minecraft is like many say just a Copy of Infiniminer you cant DENY that but i dont rate Minecraft 0 and Infiniminer 10 just because Minecraft is a copy of it.
    And why not play both games? you have an awesome 3D game for Building and gathering Diamonds
    and on the other side a Refreshing 2D game for Adventuring Exploring and gathering lots of cool stuff
    every game has its own awesome things and there are people who like adventuring more than building and vice versa but you cant just Deny the other fact because it reminds you of some other games.
  38. Aug 2, 2011
    More directed action and adventure than Minecraft, this 2D platformer is part Metroid, part Minecraft, and all good. Easily one of the best games of 2011.
  39. Sep 1, 2011
    It's pretty obvious that I wasn't the first person to think, "Hey, I bet this is exactly like Minecraft but in 2D!" Some mechanics may be similar to (or exactly like) Minecraft in some ways, but I found Terraria's atmosphere to be much stronger than Minecraft, and I think the exact same way about the music. Whether you're into Minecraft or not, I would still consider checking this out. TheIt's pretty obvious that I wasn't the first person to think, "Hey, I bet this is exactly like Minecraft but in 2D!" Some mechanics may be similar to (or exactly like) Minecraft in some ways, but I found Terraria's atmosphere to be much stronger than Minecraft, and I think the exact same way about the music. Whether you're into Minecraft or not, I would still consider checking this out. The game being in 2D simplifies some things and makes them less of a hassle - this includes performance issues. The only negative thing I can say about Terraria is that the crafting can take a bit longer to get used to, but the internet is flooded with tutorials and wikis, so it won't take you long to get it under your belt. If the developers of the game are reading this, you did an excellent job. Seriously. Expand
  40. Jul 2, 2011
    Every once in a while, a game that comes around that accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do, and manages to bring every one of its elements together in such a way that I really just can't come up with any plausible improvements. Terraria is one such game. The graphics are simple, yet endearing; the music is catchy and fun without being distracting or overtly repetitive; and theEvery once in a while, a game that comes around that accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do, and manages to bring every one of its elements together in such a way that I really just can't come up with any plausible improvements. Terraria is one such game. The graphics are simple, yet endearing; the music is catchy and fun without being distracting or overtly repetitive; and the gameplay is absolutely addictive and original, thanks to nearly endless possibilities for creation and exploration limited only by your imagination, and the (surprisingly exhaustive) amount of tools and items the developers have provided. Give it some time, some patience, and a little creativity, and you'll soon discover what a true gem this game really is. Terraria is at once an old-school, nostalgia inducing, 2-D platformer; action rpg; and a surprisingly engrossing mining/crafting/village-building simulator. Throw all these elements together -- along with some good friends -- and the end result is one of the most interesting, unique, and addictive games to hit the markets in a good long while. Don't even get me started on the hours of entertainment value to cost ratio! Do yourself - and the industry - a favor and support this wonderful little game for only $10! Expand
  41. Jul 2, 2011
    Check how they fake user reviews (Vote it up plz so everyone can see):

Check how they fake user reviews (Vote it up plz so everyone can see):

BigMike May 17, 2011 10 Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, that sucked me in from the moment I started it up. With great pixel art, endearing music and lots of retro aspects, terraria will occupy me for years to come. This idea is still fresh and I'm glad somebody didn't shy away from it just because of MineCraft's recent success.

j0rv1d May 17, 2011 10 "Terraria is an amazingly enchanting game, that sucked me in from the moment I started it up. With great pixel art, endearing music and lots of retro aspects, terraria will occupy me for years to come. This idea is still fresh and I'm glad somebody didn't shy away from it just because of MineCraft's recent success. "
  42. Jul 3, 2011
    Unique, artistic and deep. If you like Minecraft, you will love this game!

It's nothing like Minecraft though, unlike people say. There are great RPG elements involved in this game too.

Give it a try!
  43. Jul 3, 2011
    What Terraria is not: Minecraft.
    What Terraria is: a 2D adventure game with striking similarities to Minecraft.
    What Terraria is not: Minecraft.
    What Terraria is: a 2D adventure game with striking similarities to Minecraft.

So why should you buy this game? Just like Minecraft Terraria is a work in progress, each patch (released at a rate of 1/month or close to) adds new monsters, bosses, items and crafting recipes, so new content to collect and spice up the game is free (for the cost of the original game). Nostalgia value, 15 years ago this would be SNES game, and it would suit it. But then the same could (and is) said about Minecraft, if you buy this game you acknowledge the fact that you are buying a mining and life simulator. You collect goodies, kill monsters, build remarkable 2D structures as befits your imagination and the limitations of the engine - and if you get bored, hookup with friends in a server to build, kill and do what you would do in Minecraft. The game places the responsibility on you to make fun for yourself, it provides you with challenges (monsters, limited resources) but it gives you no quests and no story. Random events like Blood Moons and Goblin Invasions are there to keep you on your toes, but can be avoided.

This is unlike Minecraft, Minecraft by the limitations of being requiring much more rigorous coding for 3 dimensions updates infrequently, but is essentially infinite in size though only allowing one character per world. You cannot take characters into brand new worlds meaning that if new content requires seeing parts of the map you have yet to arrive in you'd best either make a new world (and reacquire potentially hundreds of hours worth of materials) or travel far away from your spawn point (a limitation in its own right). Terraria is 2D, so updates regularly (requiring far less rigorous coding) and can add many new objects and fixes, if you require a new world you lose only your building and mining excavation but keep what your character has on them. Both games have their own advantages, differences and similarities but both are valid and brilliant games. You should only buy this game though if you want to tap into some of that SNES era nostalgia, enjoy frequent content updates, challenging experiences and 2D mining. Do not buy this game if you expect the level of 3 dimensional complexity of Minecraft, you will be disappointed.
  44. Jul 7, 2011
    Posiblemente el goty 2011 y de los ultimos 5 años. Es adictivo, simple y con mucho contenido. Asegura montones de horas. Además los creadores del juego están sacando constantemente contenido nuevo y cumpliedo sus promesas, no como otros de juegos del mismo genero (notch).
  45. Jul 9, 2011
    It seems like most of the haters are MC fans, people who dont like the more retro style of the game, or just plainly don't like it. I love this game because I just do. It has a good feel to it and sure it starts out slow paced but then it becomes faster as you progress throughout the world you are in. The devs even said they had inspiration from mine craft AND other games. The creatorIt seems like most of the haters are MC fans, people who dont like the more retro style of the game, or just plainly don't like it. I love this game because I just do. It has a good feel to it and sure it starts out slow paced but then it becomes faster as you progress throughout the world you are in. The devs even said they had inspiration from mine craft AND other games. The creator of MC even likes this game. Sure some part are lacking but there are frequent updates because the devs listen to the community. The graphics makes it feel better in content and overall it's an amazing game. and of course multiplayer is fun Expand
  46. Jul 10, 2011
    This game is just fantastic. There are so many different items and enemys. This should not just be taken as a "minecraft clone" because the 2D makes it feel and play so much differently. This is without a doubt a 10/10 and should not be marked down by those who think that it is rubbish just because it is similar to minecraft. After all, if anything it is a lot like the flash game motherload!
  47. Jul 21, 2011
    I absolutely love this game. Me my brother and his friend will play this hours at a time! the game is so addicting and keeps you coming back for more.
  48. Jul 31, 2011
    Don't listen to the bad reviews. If you really want to know what your getting into IGN gives a perfect review as far as describing what this game is all about. To me it's a mixture of Castlevania, Mine-Craft and Monster Hunter. I couldn't figure out what to do at first and I died a lot the first few hours. But once I checked the Wiki page and got use to the controls I never looked back.Don't listen to the bad reviews. If you really want to know what your getting into IGN gives a perfect review as far as describing what this game is all about. To me it's a mixture of Castlevania, Mine-Craft and Monster Hunter. I couldn't figure out what to do at first and I died a lot the first few hours. But once I checked the Wiki page and got use to the controls I never looked back. You mine for resources and use those resources to build things like shelter, swords, armor, light sabers, guns and grappling hooks which are used for exploring, fighting monsters (bosses included), and conquering crazy environments and dungeons. This game is as addictive as crack and has consumed me like few games have in the past. Just Awesome! And it also supports online multiplayer Yay! Expand
  49. Jul 17, 2011
    When I first heard of Terraria I had a look and thought "Yeah that looks pretty cool" and decided to give it a try. It was very different to what I was expecting, but was still amazing! One of the best 2D Platformers I've ever played. It's also very Addictive
  50. Jul 20, 2011
    Don't be dismissive and say instantly that it's just 2D Minecraft, it's actually really fun. It feels like a cross between Minecraft and Castlevania, so if you like either, give this game a try. However, while it's a sandbox, I did get the impression that I'd beaten the game as soon as I got myself the best items, but they're still adding content to the game in large worthwhile updates, soDon't be dismissive and say instantly that it's just 2D Minecraft, it's actually really fun. It feels like a cross between Minecraft and Castlevania, so if you like either, give this game a try. However, while it's a sandbox, I did get the impression that I'd beaten the game as soon as I got myself the best items, but they're still adding content to the game in large worthwhile updates, so let's hope they make the game longer, so to speak. Expand
  51. Jul 21, 2011
    Great indy game with plenty to do, nice retro graphics and nice bubbly soundtrack. Obviously quite similar to minecraft but with more emphasis on exploration. Full review on my site here: http://bit.ly/oufCTk
  52. Jul 21, 2011
    terraria is a very good sandbox game with hundreds of cool items. The Multiplayer is nearly bugfree and makes lot of fun. With many animals, enemies and some NPCs i never got bored
  53. Jul 22, 2011
    This game is truly amazing. This game is unique. And although is shares many elements with Minecraft, it is so different you cannot compare the two without sounding like an idiot. And if you say you "Played" the game and that it is a copy of Minecraft, you clearly played it for 2 minutes and then quit. It goes beyond Minecraft in many ways. Sure, you can build mine and craft items, butThis game is truly amazing. This game is unique. And although is shares many elements with Minecraft, it is so different you cannot compare the two without sounding like an idiot. And if you say you "Played" the game and that it is a copy of Minecraft, you clearly played it for 2 minutes and then quit. It goes beyond Minecraft in many ways. Sure, you can build mine and craft items, but then you can go out and find items that cant be crafted and are super rare. It ranges from things such as aglets, to super rare weapons such as the Phaseblade. There is so much more to do. Terraria is simply Minecraft if you shoved in Zelda and some RP. Expand
  54. Jul 23, 2011
    I'm extremely glad I bought this game on a long weekend! I actually put 40 hours into this game in a three day period. I just lugged my laptop around and sat and explored this game. It is crazy fun. I have noticed on several of the negative reviews for this game people say things like worst fifteen minuets ever or worst hour wasted. Well if you aren't prepared to give this gameI'm extremely glad I bought this game on a long weekend! I actually put 40 hours into this game in a three day period. I just lugged my laptop around and sat and explored this game. It is crazy fun. I have noticed on several of the negative reviews for this game people say things like worst fifteen minuets ever or worst hour wasted. Well if you aren't prepared to give this game probably around six to ten hours of exploration prepare for a letdown. If however you want to explore, and learn then perhaps, this is your style of game. I find humor in how few people give this game a five. It is like the either don't give it a chance and ergo the bad score, or the do give it a chance and are like WOW his truly is amazing! I do have to admit though that I'm a fan of the eight bit style graphics and have been since they were around so that really is a positive in my book. I continue to dump time into this game. At 40 hours I have quite a place to live and have made it around half way into the armor building. I have all gold armor and actually some advanced tools. I wish this game was around when I was a kid I can't imagine what I would have done! Expand
  55. Jul 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If your a hater on this game go play your 12 year old call of duty, because this game is fantastic for 10 bucks. Graphics are good you can still make pixel art. You will probably, like me play this game for a long while during 1 update and when it gets a little boring sit around wait for a new update and jump right back into it doing that all over again. Great game even for the ones who have not played minecraft Expand
  56. Jul 29, 2011
    Fan of Minecraft, you will definatly love this game to pieces!
    I bought this game a few days after the release date and I was so pumped for it.
    The graphics may not be Crysis 2 level, but its a whole more fun than Crisis 2! They give you free updates when you buy and just enjoy the wonderful game. The concept of collecting, building, mining even teamwork on multiplayer! 10/10, I still
    Fan of Minecraft, you will definatly love this game to pieces!
    The graphics may not be Crysis 2 level, but its a whole more fun than Crisis 2!
    They give you free updates when you buy and just enjoy the wonderful game.
    The concept of collecting, building, mining even teamwork on multiplayer!
    10/10, I still love this after 30+ hours!
  57. Jul 30, 2011
    Spent a good 70 hours on the very first version of the game, simply a great platformer that revisits old SNES themes melded with the ingenuity of Minecraft in two-dimensions. Sadly re-playability is a problem for me due to its lack of content however, the developers are doing an immensely great job at updating their game with new content!
  58. Jan 12, 2012
    At first, it's a bit difficult to understand what can be done and how, but after about one hour, and hopefully, with a friend, Terraria unravels a vast world to explore. All that digging might sound repetitive at first, but within the first few hours, you will find yourself addicted and entertained by all the subtle surprises. The character progress you make in a single player game can beAt first, it's a bit difficult to understand what can be done and how, but after about one hour, and hopefully, with a friend, Terraria unravels a vast world to explore. All that digging might sound repetitive at first, but within the first few hours, you will find yourself addicted and entertained by all the subtle surprises. The character progress you make in a single player game can be continued in a multi player game, and vice versa. There are plenty of surprises and discoveries throughout the game. Almost at every turn. You will find new enemies, new stuff to mine, new items, more to craft, and so much more. The world is huge. The developers did not feel it was important to allow players to access the key bindings from within the game. As of this writing, that controls menu is only accessible from the main menu, which can cause serious problems if you are not familiar with the key bindings. Even if you personalize the keys to your liking, the controls can be quite tricky to get accustomed to or to master. In certain areas, it is blatantly clear that your current gear is not at the same level of your enemies. They can and will easily destroy you. The chests system is not good at all. Due to the nature of the game, you will come across hundreds of items, and you will need to store them all for future use. Each chest has a limit to how much you can store, which means that you will eventually have way too many chests to keep track of and remember where you put this or that item. Even though you can reset your spawn point to different houses you have built, it is still frustrating to travel in the world without the Magic Mirror for teleportation. Looting dropped items is very interesting and fun. The amount of changes you are able to perform with your character is almost endless. When you thought you had seen it all within the game, you are repeatedly surprised and entertained at how much can change and how much can happen within only a few minutes. Playing Terraria by yourself is fine, but the game truly shines with one friend or two; people you are familiar with, and not strangers. Funny events and occurrences happen all the time, and you will not notice the hours pass. Maneuvering your characters can be a problem, as the controls for the game can be problematic at times. Terraria offers a ton of content if you are willing to give it enough hours in the long run. It is not a game for short lived experiences. There is much learning, exploration, experimenting with items, and fighting monsters/bosses. Whether you play solo or with friends, this game caters to several interests, and with the developer's frequent and large updates, there is not much room for boredom. Expand
  59. Sep 3, 2011
    The reason why I gave this game a 9 is simply because once you beat the game and get all the best items, there ain't really much point to go back and start again. Sure many people may disagree with me, but it still remains one of the best game I've ever played to date. If any of you are afraid that it looks too much like Minecraft get that out of your head. I own both games and believe itThe reason why I gave this game a 9 is simply because once you beat the game and get all the best items, there ain't really much point to go back and start again. Sure many people may disagree with me, but it still remains one of the best game I've ever played to date. If any of you are afraid that it looks too much like Minecraft get that out of your head. I own both games and believe it or not I find Terraria soooo much better. Expand
  60. Sep 14, 2011
    Like many people I was also put off by the 2D super mario look but i quickly got over it, there is just so much to do and so many enemies I love how they are even making it better. The only problem i have with it is that it isn't also available for the Mac Os Since i bought two copies for my self and my gf (which has a mac) and is really annoying to have to restart and jump on boot campLike many people I was also put off by the 2D super mario look but i quickly got over it, there is just so much to do and so many enemies I love how they are even making it better. The only problem i have with it is that it isn't also available for the Mac Os Since i bought two copies for my self and my gf (which has a mac) and is really annoying to have to restart and jump on boot camp just to play it. So guys if you read this plz plz plz plz! Make it available on mac also, your only hurting your selves by not having it available to a broader market =( Expand
  61. Mar 7, 2013
    Horribly addictive. Hard to stop once you start. An important part of this game is "crafting" or making complex items out of simple items. Just finding some of those simple items turns into a full-on quest that might lead you from one end of the Terraria world to the other. While battling bosses and advancing through the game is the ultimate goal, a lot of fun can be had just craftingHorribly addictive. Hard to stop once you start. An important part of this game is "crafting" or making complex items out of simple items. Just finding some of those simple items turns into a full-on quest that might lead you from one end of the Terraria world to the other. While battling bosses and advancing through the game is the ultimate goal, a lot of fun can be had just crafting and building stuff. Some of the homes built by Terraria users are simply amazing. There are some neat features to this game. During the Christmas season, some bad guys will drop candy cane blocks which can be used to build red/white or green/white structures. A Santa Claus also makes an appearance at one point.

Hard mode is challenging and the final bosses are a handful.
  62. Oct 29, 2011
    its just fun to play it for some hours, open world, esp. if you like the 2d and a not too serious multiplayer gaming, reminds me in a good way of the old days ;)
  63. Nov 8, 2011
    great game if you have friends you can play for hours. some ppl says it is like an 2d minecraft not true since in minecraft you got like 7 things that you can do crafting wise that is worth.terraria though is focused on the more adventures style.since it is like 4 bosses guns magic special swords and all kinds of stuff o do i have played over 100 hours still not tired of it since Re-logicgreat game if you have friends you can play for hours. some ppl says it is like an 2d minecraft not true since in minecraft you got like 7 things that you can do crafting wise that is worth.terraria though is focused on the more adventures style.since it is like 4 bosses guns magic special swords and all kinds of stuff o do i have played over 100 hours still not tired of it since Re-logic can fit more things in 4mb than notch can put in 1gb Expand
  64. Dec 22, 2011
    Terraria is probably my game of the year. You will not find better value for 10$

If played solo, the game is only good. If played with friends, it is exquisite. Minecraft - well, is boring. There is little to do. The combat mechanics suck. Everything is ugly. Terraria is the opposite. There is a point - and since the latest 1.1 patch the amount of content has gone through the roof, snow

If played solo, the game is only good. If played with friends, it is exquisite.

Terraria is the opposite. There is a point - and since the latest 1.1 patch the amount of content has gone through the roof, snow biomes, new bosses, hardmode, tons of new monsters and items.

If you don't like Terraria, you either have no soul, or are not really a gamer.
  65. Dec 13, 2011
    Terraria is a RPG-Action game which is online enabled, it is also a rare kind of RPG-Action as it falls away from the recent flooding of HD 3D games because quite frankly this game is a 2D RPG-Action. The game plays similar to Minecraft which is pretty much a sand box game. In Terraria, players are able to create a character and choose between 3 different sized worlds which is differentTerraria is a RPG-Action game which is online enabled, it is also a rare kind of RPG-Action as it falls away from the recent flooding of HD 3D games because quite frankly this game is a 2D RPG-Action. The game plays similar to Minecraft which is pretty much a sand box game. In Terraria, players are able to create a character and choose between 3 different sized worlds which is different each time you create one, the player is able to explore through the world using numerous weapons, items and tools. Players are able to travel through land, sea, underground, hell, sky and in outer space. Players will also be able to customize their characters to look like some famous characters such as Mario and Link from the Nintendo universe! This game has A LOT of content, you will surely no doubt about it clock around 50-100 hours just through exploration, and even than you will be able to continue your adventures through the online community whom have created numerous PVP type servers or massive Boss battle arenas. Expand
  66. Dec 19, 2011
    this game is simply amazing. i've put in 100+ hours and i have yet to beat half the bosses or craft half the items.this game is just so deceptively simple. even if you find a new weapon you can always find a better one in a chest or make a faster one with the new ore. however, the difficulty curve after beating the wall of flesh(the hardest boss before defeating it)is incredibly steep,this game is simply amazing. i've put in 100+ hours and i have yet to beat half the bosses or craft half the items.this game is just so deceptively simple. even if you find a new weapon you can always find a better one in a chest or make a faster one with the new ore. however, the difficulty curve after beating the wall of flesh(the hardest boss before defeating it)is incredibly steep, though not impossible. it is also much more rewarding. the difficulty, in reference to dead island, is about as steep as it was when you first entered the city. instead of carelessly collecting the trees you begin to run from gastropods and chaos elemental while frantically shooting at them with cursed bullets from your assault rifle while waiting the last 20 seconds so you can heal. but no matter how i put it i just cant describe it. you just need to help out Red and Blue(the developers). Expand
  67. Nov 29, 2011
    It's no lie that Terraria borrows a lot from minecraft's recipe and appeals to same crowd, unlike minecraft however the creators went mad with content, packing more content into the game. More items to make, more ores to mine, more enemies to kill, more tools to create, more, more, more more. However Terraria is despite this less engrossing and less fulfilling to play than minecraft.It's no lie that Terraria borrows a lot from minecraft's recipe and appeals to same crowd, unlike minecraft however the creators went mad with content, packing more content into the game. More items to make, more ores to mine, more enemies to kill, more tools to create, more, more, more more. However Terraria is despite this less engrossing and less fulfilling to play than minecraft. Terraria is however in many ways a very different game, focusing on a 2D pixel-fest the game is aesthetically pleasing and great to look at, by being 2D Terraria affords more detail to be applied to everything in the world. The aim of Terraria is to build structures, dig for resources to build better tools, adventure across the land and fight monsters. All of which are easily done and the game has clear cut curves of difficulty, the deeper you dig the rarer the materials you find, but also the more dangerous the enemies. There are a lot of items to collect in Terraria through random events or crafting creating a RPG-style system of weapons armour and magic. However this was it's downfall, by adding more directed game play and content, the games ability to keep you playing wears off after you have obtained the best armour, weapons and more gold than you could ever need. I never felt the same compulsion to keep playing the way that minecraft did. Terraria is a great game and well worth picking up, but once you have conquered it there is very little reason to go back and keep playing. Expand
  68. Apr 8, 2013
    Brilliant. The way the game scales difficulty and introduced new things to you as you continue to explore the game is wonderful. Hard mode is a bit irritating with your homeland town being constantly harassed by malicious enemies if you don't prepare it thoroughly, and I was a bit disappointed once I finished exploring the whole world and had only boss fights to look forward to rather thanBrilliant. The way the game scales difficulty and introduced new things to you as you continue to explore the game is wonderful. Hard mode is a bit irritating with your homeland town being constantly harassed by malicious enemies if you don't prepare it thoroughly, and I was a bit disappointed once I finished exploring the whole world and had only boss fights to look forward to rather than more exploration, but overall a really fun game I sunk a good 60 hours into. Expand
  69. Jan 9, 2012
    Terraria is a surprisingly fun sandbox platformer game. It provides a perfect balance between building, exploring, crafting, and fighting. The graphics and sound are going to win any awards, but they provide a neat retro feel. The game could use a better tutorial, and digging can be a bit frustrating early on until you get some better mining tools. Once you get past the initial stagesTerraria is a surprisingly fun sandbox platformer game. It provides a perfect balance between building, exploring, crafting, and fighting. The graphics and sound are going to win any awards, but they provide a neat retro feel. The game could use a better tutorial, and digging can be a bit frustrating early on until you get some better mining tools. Once you get past the initial stages of the game, it's easy to get immersed in the game, and there is a lot to do. Expand
  70. Nov 30, 2011
    Terraria is all about the crafting that it forgets to focus on core gameplay by offering balancing issues and bad appeal

Terraria, at first glance will look very reminiscent of something of a 2D clone of Minecraft with a sort of Super Mario Brothers feel to it. And in a very broad sense it is virtually exactly that, and if your the style of person who throws away a game after 10 minutes of nothing, this game just isn't for you. However spill some time into it, and you can get lost in a haven of randomly generated dungeons, start building an entire town for you and your friends in multi-player, and explore the devious world of The Corrupted lands in search of world eaters of the ever increasingly annoying Eye Of Cythulu if your friends continuously spawn it.
    When you start up Terraria for the first time you are instructed to create your very first character to explore the vast expansive worlds of Terraria. Now, as well as a few similar and crazy hairstyles, there's not much at your disposal to customize your character. Besides hairstyles, there is nothing to change, merely altar the colour, and even that is a little bit frustrating, as you use those RGB sliders. Most people, unless you want to be really picky because for the majority of the time you will wear armour anyway, will just keep the character as the default look. There is nothing wrong with this though, in-fact if you move the sliders to attempt to change the character you normally end up completely ruining it anyway. On the other hand, customization of armour and weapons when you get into the game is much, and I mean much better. Think of a random weapon or armour style in your head, and it is probably craft-able in Terraria. Ranging from the simple crafted items early on such as copper swords and basic handguns found in some underground caves, to star cannons, massive lava flails and even lightsabers! Armour varies a lot too, and if you want survive after nightfall when the zombies and weird floating eyeballs are out to kill you, your going to need to know which armour as better for your style of play. Want to rummage through underground caves without the need for torches? Go for the molten armour. Or how about for moving round really quickly? How about shadow armour? The possibilities are endless! This brings me to my next point, Terraria doesn't seem to want to teach people how to play there game at all. There's no tutorial mode, only a guide there which gives you very vague hints and tips now and again on how to do things, sometimes this doesn't really help at all either. The only way your going to even learn much about Terraria is if you have numerous hours on your hands to read through an entire wiki site dedicated to Terraria.
    The game-play mainly consists of crafting better and better items to survive in your randomly generated world and fend off enemies during the night. However if you build a house to stay in at night, you probably wont have much problems with enemies during the night. Also, Terraria does a good job of adding a different variety of random events to the game to vary it up a little at night. At times a bloodshot moon will occur and enemies will spawn at twice the rate and be twice as hard to defeat and be twice as powerful. Sometimes a massive goblin army will start to march towards your house and try to defeat you. And by defeating these this can normally get you some very respectable rewards. However these events don't happen on a regular enough basis, and so you can get bored of continuously fending off zombies as you try to build your house during the night. And your first shadow orb encounter can be a fun but surprising one. Unless you read the wiki, you'll try hitting it, it will disappear and an enemy boss, the eater of worlds will appear. Now if your unprepared, then be ready to die tonnes of times before you defeat him, because he will follow you whenever you spawn until you kill him, and he has tonnes of HP.
    These random events and enemy boss fights can make multi-player and playing with friends a blast. And what's more, opening up multi-player gives you and your friends even more choices to make on were to go and what to do! As long as your friends aren't jerks, you should have no trouble with massive boss fights as long as your mate doesn't keep spawning them.
    Recently Terraria released a new patch which contained a variety of new mobs such as jungles, bats and bigger deserts. The new mobs are great, but some rarely appear, and it's frustrating when you can't find the one your looking for. Overall, Terraria is a good enough game to have you playing for a long time, and there is enough new content in there to keep you playing for a long amount of time, but some things may not appeal to the more casual gamers such as the crafting system which can be over-complicated, and the mobs need to be balanced out a lot.
  71. Dec 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alright Negative reviews, after reading all of those opinions, I think you have Terraria seen completely wrong. You compare it to Minecraft, you say it's a blatant rip-off, you can't build as cool things. Well then, let me just say this: Minecraft is a building game, with RPG elements (you can explore caves, kill monsters with boring combat, as well as...leveling up?), Terraria, on the other hand, isn't supposed to be a full building game like Minecraft: it's supposed to be more RPG, with building elements to enhance gameplay. It is in 2D, that can be a pro and a con for some. If you really, really just want to create things, by all means dis this game for Minecraft, but don't rate Terraria a 0 (which ALMOST NO GAME ever deserves) because it doesn't get building in Minecraft perfect. Now that we have that out of the way, let's talk more Terraria. Yes, you can't build as cool of things. If you want a game where you can build cool things, again, go play Minecraft. But for the survival aspect of Terraria, where the one thing you want to build is a base, and you want to survive against waves of enemies. I'm happy to say, everything about Terraria survival is superior to Minecraft. To start, when you build your base, you will actually care about defending that base from enemy waves: in Minecraft, the only thing you really have to defend from are Zombies, Skeletons, Spiders and Creepers. None of these creatures can open doors, so if your inside a properly built fort, you don't have to do anything at all, and the only purpose of going out to slay these creatures is for useless crafting items...where grinding enemies for items is as tedious as watching grass grow. In Terraria, there are actually events that happen that can actually harm your base: Blood Moons which give Zombies and Demon Eyes more power, as well as the ability to open doors, and Goblin invasions, which sends entire ARMIES of mobs to raid your house. These can actually be defended from uniquely with traps, especially now with the 1.1 update which introduces Terraria to one of Minecraft's best features: Wiring, which can be made to create traps that, unlike Minecraft, ACTUALLY HAVE PURPOSE. Now, why do you want to defend your house? NPCs move into your base, and they can be slain by creatures of the night, these NPCs include a Merchant, an Arms Dealer, a Nurse, and many more. These NPCs really make your base 'important', it gives you purpose to go back to your house when you see "The Blood Moon has Rose". When you have a fortified base up, you will enter what is arguably Terraria's strongest point: Exploration. Exploring the world in Terraria is on another level compared to Minecraft, as there actually seems to be diverse biomes that ACTUALLY MATTER, and what seems to be a development, like a normal RPG. In Minecraft, you chop wood, build a basic house, then start mining untill you get diamond and obsidian, then go to the nether, then to the end, and that's it. In Terraria, there are so many things to go do and to explore. -The Surface -3 levles of underground -The Corruption (a dark, polluted bersion of the normal overworld, with different mobs and special rewards) -The Jungle/Underground Jungle (again, special items and mobs) -Floating Isles -The Dungeon -The Underworld and finally, after killing the Lord of the Underworld (not going to tell you what it is) -The Hallow (opposite of corruption, stands as the new "end-game" zone, along with the empowered corruption). You follow from one area to the next, developing new items and powering your character in ways that, again, ACTUALLY MATTER. Speaking of items, for those who think Terraria's items are "a copy of minecraft" my god you did not get far in the game, did you? Once you get past the normal Copper, Iron, Silver and Gold, there are so many items to develop, and it's after that point you can actually play as a dedicated "Class" (Melee Warrior, Archer, Gunner, Magician). Meteorite, Shadowscale, Necro, Jungle, Molten, Cobalt, Adamantite and Mythril armor sets, each with varied stats (Molten has highest base Defence, Jungle very mana conserving, mage-like, etc), as well as a boat-load of weapons (Swords, Axes, Lances, Hammers, Flails, Bows, Pistols, Machine Guns and Magic to name a few types), and accesories (Rocket Boots - Allow Temporary Flight, Obsidian Skull - Immunity to Fire Blocks (Meteorite, Hellstone), as well as being able to combine them). So in conclusion, Terraria, absolutly doesn't rip off Minecraft, and in fact actually improves on what Minecraft originally set to achieve upon it's release: Survival and Exploration. Graphics and be underwhelming for some, but maybe that's what they aimed for. I would do a full Part 2 of this review but that's...a little overboard. Note that at the time Terraria is in it's 1.1 update, and Minecraft has been released. If you bought Terraria on Steam for $2.50, you made a good choice. Expand
  72. Dec 5, 2011
    This is one of the greatest games I have ever played. Once the 1.1 update came out, Skyrim became near meaningless to me. I can't seem to tear myself away from this game even with Skyrim taunting at me to play it. It is incredibly fun and addicting. Minecraft may be 3D, but its gameplay does not even compare to Terraria's in terms of sheer quality and content. With its lighthearted tone,This is one of the greatest games I have ever played. Once the 1.1 update came out, Skyrim became near meaningless to me. I can't seem to tear myself away from this game even with Skyrim taunting at me to play it. It is incredibly fun and addicting. Minecraft may be 3D, but its gameplay does not even compare to Terraria's in terms of sheer quality and content. With its lighthearted tone, great gameplay, excelleny replay value, absolute quality and effort put into it, and great soundtrack, I would easily play this over Minecraft any day. Expand
  73. Dec 7, 2011
    I was initially skeptical, thinking that this was a poor minecraft ripoff. But upon playing it I found it to be an incredibly cheap addicting game. Minecraft clone? perhaps, but it takes the adventuring element far further with expansive caves and dungeons that players can explore for hours. Like most sandbox games it is fairly slow at the start so if you're not the patient type then thisI was initially skeptical, thinking that this was a poor minecraft ripoff. But upon playing it I found it to be an incredibly cheap addicting game. Minecraft clone? perhaps, but it takes the adventuring element far further with expansive caves and dungeons that players can explore for hours. Like most sandbox games it is fairly slow at the start so if you're not the patient type then this might not be for you. Expand
  74. Dec 13, 2011
    I have played Terraria for 200+ hours total, and every time i create a new character, or obtain that elusive end-tier armor, or beat that one boss I just couldn't seem to overcome before, the sense of triumph is indescribable. I have played a multitudinous amount of games in my past, and none have been anywhere near as addicting and fun as Terraria. My personal opinion is that this gameI have played Terraria for 200+ hours total, and every time i create a new character, or obtain that elusive end-tier armor, or beat that one boss I just couldn't seem to overcome before, the sense of triumph is indescribable. I have played a multitudinous amount of games in my past, and none have been anywhere near as addicting and fun as Terraria. My personal opinion is that this game deserves a 10/10. The amount of content Pre-1.1 was enough to keep most entertained for hours on end, and now that we have 1.1, it's as if the possibilities have doubled. I don't know a single person who has any real complaints with the game, other than that they lack the insight or the patience to start out. Both the single-player and multiplayer aspects of Terraria are noteworthy as well. While the former gives the player a major challenge of fighting hordes of brutal enemies and facing a world of evil single-handed, the latter creates a fun and exciting world where teamwork and strategy shine. While i rave 100% for this game, i must give you a warning: this game is highly addictive and not to be played lightly. Expect to pour hours of your life into this game, while loving every creative, adventurous, and (oftentimes) brutal second of it. But don't just take my word for it. Start playing and find out for yourself! Expand
  75. Dec 20, 2011
    Terraria is one of those 2d platform games that I can't seem to get my hands off! I've bought it last week, and it has already consumed 50 of my hours. Although many might say that this is simply a 2d minecraft, the feel for this game is much different - Terraria is more developed, and has much more fantasy features than minecraft does. It is also still developing as a game by itself! ItTerraria is one of those 2d platform games that I can't seem to get my hands off! I've bought it last week, and it has already consumed 50 of my hours. Although many might say that this is simply a 2d minecraft, the feel for this game is much different - Terraria is more developed, and has much more fantasy features than minecraft does. It is also still developing as a game by itself! It deserves a new critic review in the near future, as the game updates make the game experience much more overwhelmingly fun. Expand
  76. Dec 20, 2011
    Looking to dump hours of your time into a procedurally generated world? Look no further. You begin with basic equipment to deal with basic enemies like slimes and soon you are outrunning a wall of flesh withmagic boots while firing meteor-infused bullets from a gun that is half shark. And that's only pre-hardmode content. If this is your kind of game you will easily get play time from thisLooking to dump hours of your time into a procedurally generated world? Look no further. You begin with basic equipment to deal with basic enemies like slimes and soon you are outrunning a wall of flesh withmagic boots while firing meteor-infused bullets from a gun that is half shark. And that's only pre-hardmode content. If this is your kind of game you will easily get play time from this game to match any AAA title while also paying next to nothing Expand
  77. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is amazing. Has to be one of the best games in steam right now and Im not even kidding. There are so many things you can do in this game like gardening, building stuff, decorating, killing monsters, going around mining, killing bosses, etc etc. And its just wonderful. The only thing it really needs is something like...I dont know....Modding? Or something like that. TheThis game is amazing. Has to be one of the best games in steam right now and Im not even kidding. There are so many things you can do in this game like gardening, building stuff, decorating, killing monsters, going around mining, killing bosses, etc etc. And its just wonderful. The only thing it really needs is something like...I dont know....Modding? Or something like that. The developers are also very active with adding more stuff! its pretty epic! A must have for anyone who likes sandbox games Expand
  78. Jan 2, 2012
    Ignore everybody saying it is basically a 2D Minecraft. The only real things it shares are crafting and mining. Terraria has WAY more depth than Minecraft, and a much prettier art style aswell. The first couple of hours can be daunting to a newcomer, but once you get past the tutorial (or lack thereof), the game becomes one of the most addictive and enjoyable titles you will ever play. AndIgnore everybody saying it is basically a 2D Minecraft. The only real things it shares are crafting and mining. Terraria has WAY more depth than Minecraft, and a much prettier art style aswell. The first couple of hours can be daunting to a newcomer, but once you get past the tutorial (or lack thereof), the game becomes one of the most addictive and enjoyable titles you will ever play. And considering I got it for 2 POUNDS on Steam, it's worth more than the asking price! Expand
  79. Dec 27, 2011
    This game is like Minecraft. Its like minecraft, except there is actually stuff to do in it. Its like minecraft, except its not terrible. This is easily one of the greatest games I have ever played. I cant even explain it. You need to try it yourself.
  80. Dec 27, 2011
    -Dedicated to WookieLove I really do not know what to rate this game, I would at first glance rate it a ten, but I really don't like the people who will just rate a 10 or a 1 just because they were enthusiastic or sorely disappointed with the game, without looking at pros and cons. But I don't mention this because he did that, but because he was reasonable in his review. Anyways, on to the-Dedicated to WookieLove I really do not know what to rate this game, I would at first glance rate it a ten, but I really don't like the people who will just rate a 10 or a 1 just because they were enthusiastic or sorely disappointed with the game, without looking at pros and cons. But I don't mention this because he did that, but because he was reasonable in his review. Anyways, on to the review! First, a lot of people say "Oh, Terraria is just a Minecraft ripoff." and there is a fair deal of Minecraft ripoffs but ALL games are inspired by ones that have come before them in one way or another. In Terraria you collect materials, and build stuff. Sure you'll be building things and it is rewarding but you can't be as creative in a 2D plane than in a 3D plane, you just can't. Which makes building more of an on the side thing, but the core of gameplay in Terraria is raiding. When I say this I mean going and exploring whatever biome is available to you depending on how far you have progressed you character thus far. First you'll be exploring just normal underground, then corruption and jungle and oceans, eventually the Underworld and more for loot. Not just equipment but rare materials and statues. And when you hit certain landmarks in progression, you will acquire NPCs that will move into your house and sell you things. I have had many countless hours enjoying this experience in both single and multiplayer, especially multiplayer and I highly recommend you play with a friend or two but it is still very fun (and more challenging) in singleplayer. Terraria has an amazing soundtrack, depending on what area you're in, but of course it is all up to preference. And the graphics are very well done, it gives you nostalgia of the good old days of platformers, and are new and fresh at the same time. After assessing everything I would give this a 10/10, but once you've got the best equipment and defeated the last boss you have nothing to do unless you want to start over again. Which is fun for some. But what would this this great game into an amazing game would be having quests or maybe something rewarding to do with all your top-tier gear to flesh the game out. Don't get me wrong there is a butt-load of content, but if only there was more. Expand
  81. Dec 28, 2011
    I have to disagree with WookieLove. I understand how you say that Terraria isn't the best sandbox game. IT ISN'T MEANT TO BE. It's more of a RPG or a platformer. And under that genre it's amazing. I would say more but... Honestly can't be bothered. Most of the other peoples' reviews some it up nicely.
  82. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is so much fun i dont know where 2 start i mean if u like combat we got it u like dress up we got that 2 anything u want once u put ur game into hardmode u probably want 2 get a freind but cmon its so much fun if u dont know how 2 start go 2 http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Terraria_Wiki 4 help and u can figure out what 2 do well THANK YOU 4 making this game ppl
  83. Jan 9, 2012
    Great game that is very well supported by the devs. At first can be confusing and appear to be very dull and lacking content. But under this veneer is an indie gem. Some will compare it to minecraft stating it is a 2d ripoff with less creativity. This is an ultimate mistake as the only thing in common is blocks, randomly generated worlds and the ability to mine. Terraria focuses on theGreat game that is very well supported by the devs. At first can be confusing and appear to be very dull and lacking content. But under this veneer is an indie gem. Some will compare it to minecraft stating it is a 2d ripoff with less creativity. This is an ultimate mistake as the only thing in common is blocks, randomly generated worlds and the ability to mine. Terraria focuses on the player conquering his world by forging weapons and armor of immense power to defeat the horrors of the players generated world. Expand
  84. Jan 24, 2012
    In a most recent games i've been enchanted with a number of games that terraria game makes a mmorpg called wonderland online. Anyways terraria is a 16-bit 2d platform game created by re-logic. My aspect of this game was "oh its a minecraft ripoff" i couldn't be much wrong. For a start the gameplay is basically an adventure, monsters are abundant in this game, some are challenging whileIn a most recent games i've been enchanted with a number of games that terraria game makes a mmorpg called wonderland online. Anyways terraria is a 16-bit 2d platform game created by re-logic. My aspect of this game was "oh its a minecraft ripoff" i couldn't be much wrong. For a start the gameplay is basically an adventure, monsters are abundant in this game, some are challenging while others are not. With the crafting system it reminds me of a mmorpg called wonderland online of course that game you fight monsters to build. Build new stuff and being able to acquire rare items from dungeons and fight bosses makes it worth while. There is hidden treasures and some help your character in a big way relics that can be obtained just by finding it and a bunch of gadgets to build. Since i said its 16-bit style of play it reminds me of the super nintendo days of playing. The game has dungeons to explore building one thing to get the best thing you are achieving for is self rewarding. If you want to challenge yourself in this game there is softcore meaning if you die you loose coins which are helpful later on in the game, medium core loses items and coins, if you want to be the diablo 2 style of gameplay there is the hardcore gameplay which if you played diablo 2 you will know what i am talking about.

Water physics are impressive since you do not see the water just floating in space. Sure most of the building is simular to minecraft,but its rpgish adventure, looting and boss battles makes this a gem even if it has the SNES nostalgia graphic look.

I am sure that some people will just take a look at the screenshots of the game and just dismiss it as a bad game because the graphics are completely not high quality graphics. Just because the graphics are not realistic doesn't qualify as a bad game. Now lets look at the bad part about this game while i admire the SNES nostalgia feeling and the rpgish crafting system and building structures i had to say one thing and that is the tutorial. The tutorial for this game was a bit out of place. When i first started the game i did not know what to do. Sure there is a guide person who tells you what you can build and tips, but above all the tips only refer to things that might be in the game. Since this is a 2d game the suspenseful moment is small when fighting monsters. Like shooting games your character can recharge their health by literally standing there, terraria is like that but a little slow regeneration. This game has a low-moderate modding community the results of this modding community make the gameplay somewhat fun to a limit that maybe exceeds the price of terraria which is $10.00.

That is basically it on the game if you like building, and crafting while at the same time have that nostalgic feeling of the SNES era and RPG fashion, try this game out.
  85. Jan 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Terraria is one of the games that even when you have completed the game (Killing all bosses)
    you can still create a new character and start over a new and this time it will be different because of say a differently generated map or something you get quicker and those can change the game considerably. I particularly like the way that when you unlock the hard mode you unlock new objectives and your weapons and tools work like you have just started a new and makes things so much harder. I am truly looking forward to the new updates.

A few bad things about the game:
    -Needs more content
    -Goblin armies need to aim for your bed rather than your spawn
  86. Jan 27, 2012
    When I first saw this game, I was like "That game looks terrible!!" Mainly because I thought it was a ripoff of Minecraft, but... it's actually better than Minecraft. Now you start the game with a COMPLETLY random world, nobody else has that world, then you start chopping down trees like Minecraft, build a decent house, then $#!% gets real. The fun part about this game is mining, you haveWhen I first saw this game, I was like "That game looks terrible!!" Mainly because I thought it was a ripoff of Minecraft, but... it's actually better than Minecraft. Now you start the game with a COMPLETLY random world, nobody else has that world, then you start chopping down trees like Minecraft, build a decent house, then $#!% gets real. The fun part about this game is mining, you have SO much more to mine and do in Terraria. You have NPCs that you can buy stuff from, not only that, but you have 8 bosses in this game, including Skeletron, Eater of Worlds, Eye of Cthulhu but my favourite, is the Wall of Flesh. Like Minecraft, you will never get bored with the updates. No real glitches that I have come across, but it is a great game, even vanilla. Expand
  87. Feb 1, 2012
    Out of all the games ive bought, i would say this game is worth more than it actually cost. The massive new update and intriguing sandbox environment makes this game just as good as minecraft if not better.
    Only down side is this game is very team oriented, solo players who first start will get bored quickly as there is no straight forward tutorial. However if you play with your friends and brave the first tedious quarter of an hour figuring what to do, you will find a lot of fun and potential.
    A must have game for those with friends and a few bucks to spend still.
  88. Feb 2, 2012
    BEst GAME EVER!!! this game is super fun and you can do many things with your friends! You can explore and make you imagination true in 2D. so far ive played for 200 hours +. As you get better, you will understand more things
  89. Feb 4, 2012
    This game is a blast, is it a MMO with years of entertainment? no, Does it offer a deeply enriching story? no Is it top notch art? no.

Terraria is exploration heaven. Terraria is relatable gaming. Terraria is better because there is no hand holding, yet intuitive. Terraria is challenging. Terraria actually engages the right half of your brain, and offers a good bit of action. My only

Terraria is exploration heaven.
    Terraria is relatable gaming.
    Terraria is better because there is no hand holding, yet intuitive.
    Terraria is challenging.

My only complaint is Terraria can be a bit lonely for long hours.
    Pets would be kool =)

For 10 bucks though this game is all win for the player.

I would give Terraria a 9.5, some things could use some polish... but sincethere are so few games that are actually right brained fun out there I'll go with a 10.
  90. May 4, 2012
    this game is another retro style marvel, and FYI, its NOT A MINE CRAFT RIPOFF! , its a good game good music, retro graphics, i personalty liked this game
  91. Mar 7, 2012
    Terraria is a magical combination between 2D platformer/"shooter"-fighter + creative building + Item Farmer. I like the options you have in building stuff, it gets very close to minecraft. The fighting (pve/pvp) makes a lot of fun (far far far far far more then minecraft), especially the heroic bosses and pvp with some friends is just a ton of fun.
  92. Jul 26, 2012
    This game combines rpg classic graphic style and platforms in a sandbox title that brings a lot of fun for both casual and hardcore gamers, I like it more than minecraft!
  93. Apr 17, 2012
    I love this, no it's not a cheap rip off of minecraft. There two different games, one more on the adventure and see you can get the better stuff than the other person. Minecraft is more on the builting, they both can built cool things. Another major different between the games is that minecraft is a fps, while Terraria is a completely different on using a tps and side scoller, which worksI love this, no it's not a cheap rip off of minecraft. There two different games, one more on the adventure and see you can get the better stuff than the other person. Minecraft is more on the builting, they both can built cool things. Another major different between the games is that minecraft is a fps, while Terraria is a completely different on using a tps and side scoller, which works well but it can be too dark sometimes. I think a issue is that the guide is useful but doesn't really help if he gets in your way to often. A strong point is that you will not get tired of the game fast, there are a lot of things you can do. Go adventure and be a awesome viking or a wizard or just built the coolest things you can imagine. I think that people should stop calling it a "cheap rip off of Minecraft" they different and besides they don't have any support. Also if was a rip off of minecraft it would have been a fps, not a side scroller. Expand
  94. Apr 22, 2012
    Terraria is a 2-D platform-crafting game, where you must dig, fight, explore, and build! You must dig for and find materials, in caves, oceans and dungeons, and use them to make better weapons, armour and items. It'll take you a while to get to know how to play it properly and get into it. You must also fight enemies, and build shelter so you can survive the night. It's fun to play,Terraria is a 2-D platform-crafting game, where you must dig, fight, explore, and build! You must dig for and find materials, in caves, oceans and dungeons, and use them to make better weapons, armour and items. It'll take you a while to get to know how to play it properly and get into it. You must also fight enemies, and build shelter so you can survive the night. It's fun to play, addictive, and it's only $10! ~ Rating: 9.2/10 Expand
  95. Apr 27, 2012
    I wasn't going to review this game but after seeing the absolutely horrible low-rated reviews for this game by little kids with terrible grammar, I felt that I needed to throw in my 10. It's a great game for people who like Minecraft style items/digging/crafting, 2d platforming and combat, and adventuring.
  96. May 2, 2012
    Terraria is often compared with Minecraft, but in my (humble) opinion, it is much better. The crafting involves more logic (no *forming* a door with loose planks, you just need the good materials and the spot to make it), the combat is much more fun (the flying, many sorts of different weapons keeps it entertaining) and mining is more fun since you can see where there is an open room. ITerraria is often compared with Minecraft, but in my (humble) opinion, it is much better. The crafting involves more logic (no *forming* a door with loose planks, you just need the good materials and the spot to make it), the combat is much more fun (the flying, many sorts of different weapons keeps it entertaining) and mining is more fun since you can see where there is an open room. I played over 100 hours of this, and I still want more. Expand
  97. May 11, 2012
    Best 2.50$ game I have ever bought. Yes it's almost exactly like Minecraft but once you start playing it and exploring it, it so isn't. The worlds are as small or as massive as you want and your destiny in it is truely up to you. For the 1st hour or more the game will be a drag because you only have basic tools with no armor but once you start collecting better and better gear and weaponsBest 2.50$ game I have ever bought. Yes it's almost exactly like Minecraft but once you start playing it and exploring it, it so isn't. The worlds are as small or as massive as you want and your destiny in it is truely up to you. For the 1st hour or more the game will be a drag because you only have basic tools with no armor but once you start collecting better and better gear and weapons it becomes a blast. The music is alright but it can get on the annoying side after a while so that's why I just turned it down. There is a tad steep learning curve when you first start out and even more so when you get more and more stuff that's why the Terraria Wiki is your best friend for finding out what you need to know. My only real nit pick with this game is it is over really fast once you get going and the developer has already said on his website that he ceased development for it which is a pity because it is a fun game but I can also see his point. Expand
  98. May 14, 2012
    3 words Better than minecraft

3 words Better than minecraft

Don't get me wrong, Imagine Minecraft but with the terraria variety of things... more and better enemies... Different patterns. a kind hard mode when you defeat a kind of final boss With new things coming up all the times. NPCs who interact with you. and lots of crafting... I imagined this game as minecraft and I thought it would be better than it ... if it where 3d.

The game is good But when you reach the end game the fun ends. The problems are the hardmode bosses. If you dont play with like 4 friends... the bosses are almost impossible. The rest of the game is fine IT could have some enemies more and more variety of patterns but is not aggravating at all.. Good game
  99. Dec 31, 2012
    It seems like people either love or hate this game by the reviews. What I find especially funny are the people who don't like this genre giving this game a rating of 0 or 1. What's the point of even rating this game at all? If you gave this game a 0, you're exaggerating. It works, it plays, and there's a lot to it. Another thing that's funny is the Minecraft fans who rip on this gameIt seems like people either love or hate this game by the reviews. What I find especially funny are the people who don't like this genre giving this game a rating of 0 or 1. What's the point of even rating this game at all? If you gave this game a 0, you're exaggerating. It works, it plays, and there's a lot to it. Another thing that's funny is the Minecraft fans who rip on this game because it's a "copy." So pathetic. And yet ANOTHER thing that's funny is the people judging the graphics. You guys realize that's a stylistic approach, right? It has a classic, retro look and feel to it. It wasn't like they created this game but had limitations so they just made the graphics "bad." All in all, the really low ratings come from people who are mad they spent $5 - $10 on a game they found boring/they didn't know what to do, people who love Minecraft and think this game is a copy, and trolls. If you like sandbox games, sidescrollers, fighting enemies with many different weapons, crafting, and building structures, then you'll like this game. Look at videos if you aren't sure. Expand
  100. Jun 16, 2012
    Upon starting the game for the first time, the similarities to MineCraft are quite obvious. You must collect wood and find a shelter to hide out for the night. However, just 10 minutes of game play showed me how different (and, in some aspects, better) this game is from MineCraft. There is a greater variety of enemies, NPCs come to live in your town, and, frankly, there is just more stuffUpon starting the game for the first time, the similarities to MineCraft are quite obvious. You must collect wood and find a shelter to hide out for the night. However, just 10 minutes of game play showed me how different (and, in some aspects, better) this game is from MineCraft. There is a greater variety of enemies, NPCs come to live in your town, and, frankly, there is just more stuff to do. I can't go into details, because the surprises add to the fun, but just reading on the Terraria Wiki shows me that, even with all the time I have logged, there is still so much more for me to discover and do. The reason I rated an 8, not a 10, is because of two big inconveniences I have run into. First, the game can't be paused, unless auto-pause is on, which means you will be unable to navigate with the inventory/crafting menu open. Also, whenever you exit the game and relaunch, you start back at the spawn point, which might come in handy if you are battling a ton of monsters and about to die, you can just exit and relaunch, but if you are in the middle of a cave, and you have to exit out the game for whatever reason, it is hard to resume where you left off.
    Final thoughts: While most games focus on graphics, Terraria focuses on the actual game play. While it most likely did come from the idea of MineCraft, it adds to MineCraft in so many ways. Granted, I still love MineCraft and will continue to play it, Terraria is a great game as well. If I am in the mood to be creative and build and explore, MineCraft is what I will play. If I am in the mood for an adventure, Terraria. Two completely separate games, one unique concept. If you love MineCraft, play Terraria! If you love Terraria, play MineCraft! Terraria is probably the best 10 bucks I have ever spent. Period.
  101. z0m
    May 22, 2011
    20 hours of play later, I can easily say purchasing Terraria has been the best 10 bucks I've spent in a while. I decided to give the game a eight simply because there are some things missing. The devs did mention in a post at Terraria Online that they basically released the beta version for multiple reasons and are well aware of server hosting issues and incomplete content. Future20 hours of play later, I can easily say purchasing Terraria has been the best 10 bucks I've spent in a while. I decided to give the game a eight simply because there are some things missing. The devs did mention in a post at Terraria Online that they basically released the beta version for multiple reasons and are well aware of server hosting issues and incomplete content. Future updates are already in the works but I'm reviewing the game as of now. If the TerrariaOnline.com Wiki didn't exist or if people don't take the initiative to seek answers for their questions about the game, I can see how it is very frustrating in the beginning. The Guide doesn't really help you at all and hardly goes in depth when explaining the proper way to build a shelter and how to get the other NPCs to move in. Also, explanation of the crafting system deserves some improvement. If you have no IT background, hosting a server is difficult and entering a users IP to join instead of selecting from a list is frustrating as well. Other than that, the game is genuinely fun. A couple friends and I started a world together and I found myself laughing almost the entire time. The content is so intricate, you are bound to spend hours exploring and adventuring. I am truly excited for what they add in the future. Collapse

1. Mar 19, 2012
    Terraria is one of the best sandbox games. Terraria has some Minecraft spirit, however the focus of the game is on fighting and crafting, so it involves more action. The best way to enjoy Terraria is to play it with a couple of friends on your own server.
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a title that will appeal to the adventurer, the explorer and the builder; not to mention those who appreciate a substantial amount of player freedom. If you happen to be all of those things, Terraria is a lightly tarnished treasure.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    A lot of games tried to copy Minecraft – or at least participate from its' success. But this two-dimensional take on the well known formula is the only game that is able to step out of the shadow of the indie phenomenon that inspired it. It leads you into a unique world full of creative magic.