Test Drive Unlimited 2 PC

5.7

1. Mar 17, 2011
    I'll be the first to admit that after release it was horrible. Hardly anything worked. Eden Games was way too soon with the release. Now after some patching things are looking brighter and some big problems are eliminated. Online play works fine, in-game things like clubs are working and the troubles with the casino's are gone. The cars are impressive and the environment look good. TheI'll be the first to admit that after release it was horrible. Hardly anything worked. Eden Games was way too soon with the release. Now after some patching things are looking brighter and some big problems are eliminated. Online play works fine, in-game things like clubs are working and the troubles with the casino's are gone. The cars are impressive and the environment look good. The sound is nice but the driving itself still has flaws and the cars are not always easily handled. I guess they focused a tad too much on everything around the driving experience which is a shame cause that is the biggest part of the game. Overall it is definitely not a bad game but Eden games should have waited a little longer before releasing it. Expand
  2. Apr 7, 2011
    The game is good but has some rough spot. Animation and voice over for mission and story is crap, but who cares. Some cars handle like crap, as they should. It's a good game for players who want to stay away from racing game like Gran Turismo. It's a wide open game, what you make of it is your choice..
  3. Jan 18, 2013
    With 375 hours played this game has that factor that keeps you coming back for more i want to play it i like playing it There are little to no issues with this game yes hackers are present but with cars every where its fun casino is alot of fun to What has let the game down is Atari lack of interest in further development of the game extremely slow patches hardly no fixes plus a forumWith 375 hours played this game has that factor that keeps you coming back for more i want to play it i like playing it There are little to no issues with this game yes hackers are present but with cars every where its fun casino is alot of fun to What has let the game down is Atari lack of interest in further development of the game extremely slow patches hardly no fixes plus a forum which has long gone and disappeared it was meant to be merged but it still has not happened So reason i score it a 7/10 is purely the fault of Atari no support for game that has potential Expand
  4. Jun 3, 2013
    A good game that needs a bit of attention. The graphics could be better,but they aren't bad. The cars could be better chosen. If I was making this type of game. I would put a lot of cheap cars or a second hand-sim in the game like Gran Turismo. The sound effects are really good. I never heard a sound as realistic in this game. The gameplay is good,but could be better if the game also had aA good game that needs a bit of attention. The graphics could be better,but they aren't bad. The cars could be better chosen. If I was making this type of game. I would put a lot of cheap cars or a second hand-sim in the game like Gran Turismo. The sound effects are really good. I never heard a sound as realistic in this game. The gameplay is good,but could be better if the game also had a couple of more tweaks to keep it fun for hours. A lifestyle game like this also need to have ''real-life'' actions. It's weird that you can drive a car,walk along,but can't walk along the roads.I know that this is not the Sims,but it would be more realistic if you can enjoy a virtual rich life.

Atari has done it's best,but the game could be better if the game came out a few months later and if there were more ''real-life''-things.
  5. Nov 7, 2013
    It's not as cool as TDU1, but it has more diversity by adding Ibiza to the game. So we get many more locations to the game where to race. Some features of TDU1 are missing, some are added, overall it does fall a bit behind the first game, like all sequels do. But it's worth a try for the fans of TDU.
  6. Feb 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Usually, sequels never reach the level of greatness of a predecessor. Only Mass Effect 2 and other few games have managed this. Sadly, Test Drive Unlimited 2 is not one of them. The new interface is amazing, and the environment now seems like a real world, unlike its predecessor in where the world looked unrealistic, specially the trees. The game introduced new features, all of them poorly polished and underdeveloped. First, the new story mode is unnecessary and boring, the licenses, new racing and map systems are good but not enough, all the characters are uninteresting and forgettable and the damage system is almost un-existent, even worst than that of GT5.

Still, TDU2 is a game worth to enjoy if you are a fan of racing games. Its pretty exciting to be going around in perfect and beautiful depictions of Ibiza and Hawaii in any of the cars in the game. Finally, it's hard to recommend this game, and harder to be enjoyed by a person just looking for a racing game, because even when TDU2 is a racing game at its core, many of the MMO and RPG elements incorporated could screw up your fun.
  7. Sep 16, 2011
    Let me start with the bad. The driving is unrealistic to a point where it will have you banging your head on your keyboard and throwing your mouse(or steering wheel) out the window knocking over your precious cans of mountain dew goodness. You will randomly spin after trying to turn at a slow speed, and it takes awhile to recover, it involves stopping completely a few times. Next, when youLet me start with the bad. The driving is unrealistic to a point where it will have you banging your head on your keyboard and throwing your mouse(or steering wheel) out the window knocking over your precious cans of mountain dew goodness. You will randomly spin after trying to turn at a slow speed, and it takes awhile to recover, it involves stopping completely a few times. Next, when you do racing, it seems that even the smallest mistake, which with this game is hard to avoid, will cause you to need to restart. Now lets move on the the good side. If you can manage with the other issues, this game provides a good long joyful experience. Its completely online, which is pretty cool, at times. And at others you will find yourself picking up annoying microphone noise. It has some interesting features. But when the base of the game is racing, and the cars drive like pure crap, it just cant be given a great review. This is a social racing game, dont buy it for its gameplay unless you have amazing patience. Expand
  8. Feb 10, 2011
    I want to try not to be too negative at release version 1 but i might be lol.

I want to try not to be too negative at release version 1 but i might be lol.

Firstly and most important i felt like i was playing test drive 1 again but on a different map, did they realy spend that much time on the handling? with the early vehicles at least i felt like i was driving a box that floats on asphalt although you can feel the surface beneath you on dirt. Secondly on a GTX 295 the graphics dont live up to some of the "ingame" screens ive seen. But understandably being an online game its not going to have the best graphics. Also the highly detailed interiors??? i was driving a lancia and the dashboard looked like a 2d image slapped behing the steering wheel. The mediocre graphics could be because they wanted to include the old hawaii map without totally revamping it but seriously for £30 i would have been happy with a brand spanking new ibiza map. When my gtx 580's arrive ill test again on the graphics as im not sure if the game recognises dx11 or not (probably not being a port) and Thirdly on that point i think that this is just another port and without an update alot of people will be dissapointed after all the hype. NFS Hot pursuit has better handling and graphics im sad to say. I think in general eden have spent far 2 much time trying to make cool avatars and casinos etc and have forgotted its a driving game. I hope a few patches will help the handling as that is my main concern. The game is definetly playable and i will enjoy it but if you want a high quality driving simulation you will be disapointed i think.
  9. Feb 20, 2011
    Stupid characters (story too) , awful controls, lack of cars customization, boring side missions and numerous bugs. Eden paid more attention to players avatars and social part of the game rather then cars and racing. Graphics are ok and cars models look good, music is also acceptable but so what? Game is highly irritating so if you wont to get pissed - stay away. It is not a terrible gameStupid characters (story too) , awful controls, lack of cars customization, boring side missions and numerous bugs. Eden paid more attention to players avatars and social part of the game rather then cars and racing. Graphics are ok and cars models look good, music is also acceptable but so what? Game is highly irritating so if you wont to get pissed - stay away. It is not a terrible game but far behind a original TDU. Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2011
    I am not quite sure what to say about TDU2. I am a long time player of the Test Drive series, TDU1 was ground breaking with its game play style, however it was very buggy online. Besides the online friends disappearing all the time the game is pretty solid (TDU1). Now as far as TDU2 goes, it has been a buggy mess since release day and I am not even going to mention it all now there isI am not quite sure what to say about TDU2. I am a long time player of the Test Drive series, TDU1 was ground breaking with its game play style, however it was very buggy online. Besides the online friends disappearing all the time the game is pretty solid (TDU1). Now as far as TDU2 goes, it has been a buggy mess since release day and I am not even going to mention it all now there is just too much. Yes they have patched the game quite a bit, but the game still is lacking in many areas. The cars selection is weak, seriously no Lamborghini? WTF! Umm yeah, that's just one huge downfall IMO. There are many more cars the game is lacking that TDU1 had, but again I will be writing a book about how much was left out the game. Also there is no car trading like in TDU1, and you cannot sell your cars straight away, you must fill the garage then try to buy a new car to get rid of an unwanted car, lol. Expand
  11. Dec 27, 2011
    The open world of this game is pretty nice, and the graphics are amazing, especially when you drive at high speeds. But unfortunately everything is very repetitive and can get very boring after a while.
  12. Dec 11, 2012
    Some minor improvements over the original Test Drive Unlimited makes the game even more fun to play, but a very buggy release and a (once again) poor implementation of multiplayer holds it back from greatness.
  13. Oct 9, 2012
    Too many unnecessary features, unbalanced multiplayer, no sane way to earn money after you finish the carreer, unoptimized graphics, terrible radio announcers, terrible cutscenes. But on the other hand it's big, engaging, immersive, beautiful, and there is a lot of stuff to do.
  14. Nov 23, 2013
    LONG REVIEW WARNING
    TL;DR: Sadly, a nice looking game that is infuriating to play, so much wasted potentials.
    LONG REVIEW WARNING
    I play this game 800*600 & low quality with a keyboard, and this game is the most frustrating racing game I've played, far more than GRiD, DiRT, DiRT 3, NFS UG2, NFS HP III, NFS PU, SHIFT 2. For starters, the "return to road" function is just revolting, Not only does it take ~2 seconds to activate, it does NOT even activate at all in most cases, wtf? I'm 40 metres off of the road, and the red cross appears, really now?
    From there, let's move onto the aesthetics, which is great overall (damn straight, graphics are this game's strongest selling point, although I'm not fortunate to enjoy it at max level), but have some game-killing flaws. In many off-road races, I cannot even tell the road from the grass.Even if I play on low, the two should be clearly distinguishable. The choice of clothes are sexist as well, just look at the women's collection of shoes: none of them are flat, even the sport store sell heels.
    Racing schools are indeed a painful thorn as said by many, the tests that involve AI's (passing & dodging) are the stupidest. The AI follows a predetermined path, at the passing test, I find them constantly hitting my backside after I've passed them and slowed down for a corner. This game have a algorithm for determining responsibilities of crashes (seen in free ride), but it's not present in the racing schools.
    The choices of cars are interesting in a bad way. Eden clearly worships Ferrari, and maybe Audi and Mercedes-Benz, while not too hot for some other well-known brands, or maybe they did not bother to get licenses from them? Regardless, this game have no Lamborghini, no Maserati, no true Porsche, no BMW's, only 2 Japanese brands (Subaru & Nissan), and for the bikes, only 2 brands, Ducati and Harley-Davidson, but that's forgivable, its only DLC content anyways. ~87% of the cars are RWD (most of the non-SUV AWD's are Audi, god bless Quattro eh?), which translates to spin-outs on start-ups for keyboard users. Seriously, do they not know a great many people play on PC with keyboard? Handling is just unbearable sometimes. Ferrari F40-Can't drive that thing at all when raining, spin-out after spin-out.
    The physics are just funky at times, not even related to the fact that I'm using a keyboard. When I crash into a smooth barrier at ~30 degrees, I get turned 180 degrees. Neither can I do donuts on any surface. I skin a telephone pole, and again, get turned to the opposite direction. Combined with the brilliant "return to road" function, it is a recipe for rage.
    Everything else in this game is more than satisfactory, but with the main component--racing, so frustrating, it's hard to like this game a lot. Maybe I'll play it from time to time, but it will definitely not be my go-to racing game. If you've made it this far, thank you for you patience.
  15. Nov 26, 2011
    Lack of subtitles for cutscenes has put me off. I have been lost working out what I should do in the game. Luckily, my familiarity with TDU1 has helped me gain a basic understanding on how the game is supposed to be played. It's pretty average. Story is scored 0 because I need subtitles to help understand, even if I am a English speaker. Therefore this have no repsect for hearing impairedLack of subtitles for cutscenes has put me off. I have been lost working out what I should do in the game. Luckily, my familiarity with TDU1 has helped me gain a basic understanding on how the game is supposed to be played. It's pretty average. Story is scored 0 because I need subtitles to help understand, even if I am a English speaker. Therefore this have no repsect for hearing impaired players like me. But bercause the gameplay is fun, I give it a 10 so 10 and 0 balances out as 5. Expand
  16. Aug 15, 2011
    Could have been brilliant but significant flaws means it ends up incredibly frustratating. The appalling singleplayer driving tests that you are forced to endure in order to progress, are a shocking and unforgiveable experience that just leave you wanting to quit the game after a couple of attempts. Whoever was responsible in creating these tests should be sacked for ruining what couldCould have been brilliant but significant flaws means it ends up incredibly frustratating. The appalling singleplayer driving tests that you are forced to endure in order to progress, are a shocking and unforgiveable experience that just leave you wanting to quit the game after a couple of attempts. Whoever was responsible in creating these tests should be sacked for ruining what could have been a classic game. The handling on a lot of the cars leaves a lot to be desired and all these problems contribute to ruining the overall experience. If you have the patience of a saint, you might be more willing to persevere but for most, this game will leave you wanting to take a hammer to your computer! A great shame because with just a bit more thorough playtesting, these faults could have been rectified. Expand
  17. Nov 24, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this game but was extremely disappointed. It's amazing number of cars and the huge are to explore is what kept me from rating this game lower. The bad part is the handling of the cars. It is almost impossible to turn and stay in control. If you are looking for a game like TDU 1 (my favorite free roam driving game), do not look here.
  18. Mar 29, 2012
    Initially i thought the game looked really fun and addictive. So i bought it and played for about 5-6 hours. However.....
    After the 2Nd off-road championship i started to get bored
    After the 2Nd off-road championship i started to get bored

The horrible steering was the main problem getting in the way of my real enjoyment. Also another problem i had, was the championship structure of races. I think the game would have been a whole lot more fun with separate races, it also helps with the sense of progression.

Graphics wise.. I like the new game engine. But as you start to play you do start to notice graphical issues and blemishes. For example there is quite a bit of pop in. And some of the textures are lacking in quality.But worst of all, the cars, they are not at all detailed! The models in the 4 year old first one looked better!. The character models are horrible as well the speech and lip movement is terrible!. The environments overall look a bit lacklustre in detail; you start to notice the same house models all over the island after playing for 5 hours. Driving them becomes boring. Overall the quality of the island is a bit muddy; there are some nice vistas, but a lot more work could have gone into really making every town look adequate

I have not used the social networking features though, so this review is based on the offline gameplay

The first one was SO Much better. More fun, better graphics and overall more polished. If you want a good racing game look into the need for speed games or codemasters games. There REALLY fun to play. One word to describe TDU2: Numb. No real immersion or enjoyment. TDU2 goes straight back on the shelf after just 5 hours of game play

Overall 5/10 absolute max-. I found these glitches totally ruined the game experience, although if you can get past them you MAY enjoy tdu2.
  19. Sep 23, 2012
    I know that what many people enjoyed with the first game was the "free" feeling, and that is something you miss in this game. I think that the "rank" system isn't fit for this game at all. The only upside, which actually is a big upside according to me, is that it is really easy to learn the game, and those drivers licence tests you have to take are great.
  20. Jun 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. see some people stumped on why the game got bad reviews. Well these guys never played the First TDU apparently. Sure if you take this game on its merit alone and Forget that the first TDU ever existed this is a great racing game, but as a fan of the first one I can not just wash off my experience with the first game. That said this one fall rather short of the original in my opinion.

The Good:

The graphics have been updated the game (except for the original island) looks better than the original game's.
    The off road really adds more depth tom the experience.
    Nice learning curve with the driving assistance.
    more character customization options.

The Bad:

world seems hollow compared to the original. Gone are the hitch hiker missions, the package deliveries, and the car deliveries that made the first game seem so alive to me (maybe I have not gotten far enough along in this one yet but from 6 days playing it the world just seems empty with not as much to do outside racing championships. The discovery mode is poor replacement for hitch hiker missions on buying new cloths. I felt like exploring the first game more often knowing that about every 5 to 10 miles there was a npc that I could do a mission for. finding junk cars just not that enticing of a reason to go exploring even with the bonus cars they unlock.

Less cars from what I've seen and what cars I do see about 1/3 are DLC purchases. seriously if some one knows where I can find a modern corvette that doesn't cost real money PLEASE let me know. this whole game seems engineered around nickel and diming us on dlc. sure its not much (about 1 dollar most cars). but its the principal of the matter this is a TEST DRIVE game. sell extra BS but cars should not be DLC.

Missing radio this one I have to mention and it is worth 3 marks off this game imo.
    there are only 2 crappy radio stations and one seems to advertise for music it just doesn't have?? are you serious when the radio host talks about sacrificing goats while listening to their station I expect REAL hardcore metal not wuss rock and electro tunes. to ad insult to injury the first game offered users the ability to create their own radio stations with their own mp3 collection, well guess what they ripped that right out of the sequel. then have lied about how they will add it back in in a patch ..its been a year or more since this game came out when I bought it and still NO USER RADIO.

Last I'd like to say I HATE the license test system this is TDU we shouldn't have to go through hellish license test just to get to the good bits of the game which are never as big of an a-pain as these test are any way. again just a poor feature meant to fill the void of them not having other mission types in the game and again it does a poor job of filling that void. Maybe some of you guys like this, but I find the test more annoying and game pace breaking to me than fulfilling.

Other thoughts:

I'd go back top TDU 1 except Atari shut down the servers some time in 2012 not sure if I can even get in game with out the servers being up? as for TDU 2 i9'll stick to it for now a 5/10 in my book is an ok game for fans of a series I'd not recomend it to non driving game fans though. for driving game fans that never played TUD I'd say its a 7/10 a good game to introduce you to TDU but really TDU 1 offered so much more with less blatant money grabbing dlc. Maybe Atari will make it right on TDU3 we can hope.
  21. Jan 21, 2015
    Test Drive Unlimited 2, known as TDU2 is an open world racing, developed by Eden Games and published by Atari. Test Drive Unlimited has many streets, cars, motorcycles registered trademark. The game also has SUV that brings something new to the series. The story begins with an unknown racer, he gets a chance to enter the vast Solar Crown Cup competition to be the best racer. I met someTest Drive Unlimited 2, known as TDU2 is an open world racing, developed by Eden Games and published by Atari. Test Drive Unlimited has many streets, cars, motorcycles registered trademark. The game also has SUV that brings something new to the series. The story begins with an unknown racer, he gets a chance to enter the vast Solar Crown Cup competition to be the best racer. I met some problems in the game, especially the camera. The cars have a very good control. Expand
  22. Feb 10, 2011
    Biggest disappointment of the year so far. The only thing i really like about the game is the music and the look of the cars (even though, in first TDU part they seemed more realistic). Cons :

- cut scenes - really stupid, i spend most of my gametime laughing because i couldn't believe that game with such stupid dialogues can be released - the plot - i wish it wasn't there at all. We had

- the plot - i wish it wasn't there at all. We had none in TDU 1, people loved it, why change it?
    - graphics - it's like TDU1 on highest details with a bit changed graphical engine so it could look less realistic
    - driving - i so want to go to Atari building and get my 40$ back. I really DON'T KNOW who designed the driving in this game, but he definately didn't play the first part. IT IS HORRIBLE.

I tried all modes on both keyboard and wheel (G25). I gotta say, it's unplayable and there's a lot of problems with additional controlers.

- major bugs - When i started playing i first made an offline account. I was excited to see day/night cycles and weather system. But guess what, i got informed that all of this doesn't work in offline mode cause of a bug. Oh come on, are you serious?

Conclusions : If you're more of The Sims fun and you don't care if driving in game cars is fun, get the game. Otherwise you're gonna be disappointed, mad and you will swear a lot while playing this game.

I really hoped this game was going to destroy the competition and that Atari won't be like other companies, creating new game for the masses and throwing brilliant ideas to the trash. But hey, i guess that if you want to play a good car racing games, you gotta buy a console.

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 6, 2011
    Racing game pretends to have a lot of features and extras at first glance. Fact is, this just has some boring races and dusty graphics. [Mar 2011]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mar 31, 2011
    Ignore the story and there's a very enticing world to explore. [Apr 2011, p.64]
  3. PC Games (Germany)
    Mar 21, 2011
    Don't get us wrong, Test Drive Unlimited 2 is a very decent game. With a massive island to explore, beautiful cars and scenery that can take your breath away, it's an absolute eye candy. Still, almost every aspect of the game can use some polish. [Mar 2011, p.99]