8.4

1. Jul 20, 2013
    The Black Mirror is a decent horror point and click adventure game and is the first game in a series of three. This game nails horror, and by horror I don't mean jump scares. I mean creepy and unsettling environments and events that are occurring throughout this game.
    This game is my favorite in the series despite its few glaringly obvious flaws. There are some big plot holes in this game and while I still enjoyed it despite of its plot holes, they really stood out as problems. Also there are 2-3 points in the game where you simply have to wait a given amount of time (20 minutes 1 hour) until certain items or events are ready for your character. In my opinion this is some pretty needless game padding simply used to extend the game. In the sequels they slightly address or hint at some of the problems with the plot holes of the first game and completely do away with these 'waiting segments'.
    This is a great game, I recommend this to anyone who loves horror. Make sure to play this game first and continue the series following with The Black Mirror 2 and 3.

1. The beautifully detailed graphics make exploration a sheer pleasure and the music and ambient sounds combine well to heighten the sense of something evil waiting, patiently, watching your every move.
  2. Frustrating array of random pointing and clicking.
  3. It's true that the game has some real strengths, too, but the lousy voice-overs, clumsy writing, and glacial pace make it too hard to appreciate them most of the time.