6.5

1. Aug 20, 2013
    I REAALLYY thought this would just be another shooter but they implemented X-COM's style of strategy so well it actually feels like 3rd person RTS xcom, I dont care about the unsatisfied destructoid review I don't see why in the world he would like how it isnt a shooter or a strategy or an xcom game BECAUSE ITS ALL OF THOSE COMBINED, and that's much more awesome than it sounds

GamePlay:

GamePlay: 9/10
    Story: 8/10
    visuals: 7/10
    Replayabilty: 10/10

P.S: anyone going into this expecting a carbon copy of XCOM enemy unknown or UFO defense's gameplay is an idiot
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    I'm seeing a lot of moaning that this isn't XCOM, and maybe the dev's should have just dropped the name because it seems more like fanboy rage, then actual constructive criticism of essential a pretty good 3rd person shooter.

The development has been marred with problems, mainly I believe to fanboy outrage to initial screens of the game. I was actually looking forward to a First person, investigation game. Then the game went dark, but eventually came back to life, in what seemed to be a mash up between Mass Effect and some XCOM elements.

I love the XCOM series, do I care that this game has XCOM in the title? No. I take games on face value, and not what I expect the game should be. In fact, I don't go into any games with expectations why would you? Why not be surprised, which I am about this game.

It didn't take long before I started getting the knack for the controls and ordering my men around it all seemed to work well, and I was killing aliens left, right and centre. The AI, seems intuitive enough to get the job done on both sides.

I love the setting, and the story isn't as convoluted as some have suggested. The game isn't perfect by any means. There have been some hiccups with stuttering, and slow downs but the steam community is on the ball. Hopefully updated video drivers and possible game tweaking will solve most of these issues which we should all be reminded happens even to the best of games.

I do feel the game is a little barron in respects to environments and ambient objects within the world. It kinda feels like a lost opportunity, but I also wonder whether it was a design decision to have more of a clean sterile look to most environments?

Overall this is a solid title, not great, but definitely not worth the scores that it's getting. This game is easily a low mid 8. I paid $36.00 for this game through a site, with some discounts, if you can't get 36 dollars worth of value from this game, then you are doing something VERY wrong.
  3. Aug 20, 2013
    Console. Port. And not a great one at that. Graphics are fine. Settings and story telling is fine. Mouse and keyboard controls are horrible on the verge to unplayable. Especially for a cover to cover shooter. If it would have had the same controls as Ghost Recon Future Soldier it would be fine. Loading stutter interrupts flow as well. Might be fixed with patching but I don't really feelConsole. Port. And not a great one at that. Graphics are fine. Settings and story telling is fine. Mouse and keyboard controls are horrible on the verge to unplayable. Especially for a cover to cover shooter. If it would have had the same controls as Ghost Recon Future Soldier it would be fine. Loading stutter interrupts flow as well. Might be fixed with patching but I don't really feel compelled to pick it up again. Expand
  4. Aug 20, 2013
    This shooter is in no way related to the XCOM series. It's extremely uninspired, devoid of substance or meaning. The trailers tried to sell something that seemed history-driven but the final product is, from start to finish, just a series of over-the-top explosions, random shooting and NPC babysitting.
    Avoid it like the plague if you don't love bland shooters; buy it if you love CoD or BF.

(and yes: this game would get a 7 from me if not for the XCOM "bait" on the title.)
  5. Aug 20, 2013
    Stupid port from consoles, playing on keyboard are horrible, every time wants to press esc. Framerate also big joke, I7 overclocked gtx 680 and 19 fps on 1080, and this stupid dialogs in mass effect style,everything stolen and made for stupid kids who wants to shot every time like no brains idiots and imbiciles, this game is totally garbage for me. I like xcom enemy unknown very much, but this
  6. Aug 20, 2013
    Well the game's story is somewhat weak... They borrowed ideas from 'Mass Effect' to 'Dead Space', and of course from the original 'XCOM'. The characters are all two-dimensional, cardboard clichés at best. The dialogues are cheesy and not too developed. The gameplay is somewhat clunchy (also a lot of Mass Effect influence here), but it is the best part of the game. I liked the idea thatWell the game's story is somewhat weak... They borrowed ideas from 'Mass Effect' to 'Dead Space', and of course from the original 'XCOM'. The characters are all two-dimensional, cardboard clichés at best. The dialogues are cheesy and not too developed. The gameplay is somewhat clunchy (also a lot of Mass Effect influence here), but it is the best part of the game. I liked the idea that experience points, perks, traits and team and character customization were implemented. The side missions are repetitive and the whole game could be a billion times better with more care for the details. It would have been better with implemented world map strategy elements, base building, research and micro-management. I would rate this 57%... Not very bad, but could have been much better Expand
  7. Aug 21, 2013
    While the atmosphere of the game is quite good, and the graphics are highly detailed, The Bureau just fall terribly short in other areas.

The plot line makes NO sense at all, if taken in the context of the XCOM cannon. There is no research to speak of, and no base management. Interaction with NPC's is limited to rather boring, decision driven conversation, and the decisions you make in conversations have no repercussions of any kind.

Movement in somewhat counter-intuitive, and the AI of squad members is laughable. Because of that terrible AI, you will find yourself hitting the space bar to issue orders so often, that the flow of the action as a shooter, is terrible.

So basically, the strategic elements that we've come to love in the XCOM universe are non-existent, and the tactical interface is lackluster.

Still, the eye candy is very good. The details to the environments are really nice. I just wish that the developers had put more depth into the game play.
  8. Aug 27, 2013
    Pretty much everything I wanted from the canceled XCom Alliance game that we never got. Yes, it apes Mass Effect, in more than a few ways. It has the third person cover-based shooting and pause-and-command system of Mass Effect, along with the mechanic of storyline choice steering your experience.

While it lacks the overwhelming scope of the Mass Effect games, it does offer a deeper tactical system than found in Bioware's games.

The story is fun, even if you need to stretch your 'suspension of disbelief' a bit. Honestly, considering that you had to do the same for the previous X-com games, it's not a surprise. In the second half of the game, the stakes get raised and the plot twists in some interesting and unexpected ways.

The voice acting is pretty solid and the overall flavor of setting it in that weird time period of the space race, yet before the hippie cultural revolution was a jolting and interesting choice.

It is 3rd best X-com game, past the first and the recent tactical remake.

The game is not without it's flaws, of course. The lip syncing and actor motion capture lacks polish. Also, the graphics are stylized and simplistic, yet run horribly on the highest graphic settings. It's also rather brief, with very little in the way of fleshing out and side missions.

Also, it lacks the research, production, interception and base management of the previous games, so if that is what defines an Xcom game to you, you may be disappointed.

This game with has convinced me that this will be cult classic game, like Vampire: Bloodlines or Alpha Protocol (though not as broken as either of those) and that not everyone is meant to 'get it'.
  9. Aug 20, 2013
    I don't understand the bad reviews

Solid Third person shooter, not very innovative in this department but gets the job done and is very enjoyable(why take points away for that) The tactics are fun and different the game took a lot of risk and i applaud that rather than just being a mass effect 2 clone. I will add the tactics in battle may not be for everyone but if your not a fan of
    I don't understand the bad reviews

The tactics are fun and different the game took a lot of risk and i applaud that rather than just being a mass effect 2 clone. I will add the tactics in battle may not be for everyone but if your not a fan of tactics don't rate this game badly because your not good at it

The story is entertaining enough and made me want to finish the game what else could you ask for? i see too much complaining about what the game isn't but it does not get any credit for what it is

reviewers rather give games like Saints Row 4 which was just a clone of saints row the third with super powers great scores because its simple minded and easy. I give a game like SR4 a 6 its the same thing as saints row the third with annoying super powers i did not even want them in the game wish they were optional.

Thank you 2k Marin for trying something different the game is solid and fun I hope these biased reviews don't completely mess up your sales game is worth the money
  10. Aug 20, 2013
    The game feels fresh and is fun to play. I like the spacebar command prompt. Looks proper tidy on the eyes. I got this after playing EU and liking that. So far I'm not disappointed with this purchase.
  11. Aug 20, 2013
    First off, if you're looking for the sequel to Enemy Unknown, you're looking in the wrong place. This is a 3rd person squad based tactical shooter and it's a lot of fun. The story is excellent and I feel really immersed. The character models are amazing and it truly feels like the 1960's.

Fans of the series should definitely give it a shot.
  12. Aug 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game feels so rushed and I really, really wanted to enjoy it. Issuing orders to your team is cumbersome, the feel of the controls and gameplay needs a bunch of polish, a number of the gameplay elements do not flow correctly. For Example:
    - Characters talking but their lips are not moving.
    - You are in cut scene but yet your team in the middle of it start trying to engage enemies as if you were in an actual fight
    - The people you talk to know things they should not know yet (such as your situation and who you are with)
    - One part I was ask to pick up a radio "Over there" implying that where the NPC was looking when he said over there is were the radio was.... Nope it was literately beside him and not where he was implying it was.

Any one of these issues (and there are many many more) are not a big deal, but when you have back to back quirks it really can ruin the flow of the game.

In a nutshell the game needs work and it should have had another 6-12 months of development and polish.

Save your money and wait for it to be on sale. The game as is is worth about $19 dollars.
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    Hey man, it isn't tactical turn based Xcom...it's more like tactical Mass Effect 1-3. Since I enjoyed ME 1-3 I'll be enjoying this. But if you're looking for X-com vanilla, don't but this...
  14. Aug 21, 2013
    Terrible story, clunky controls, AI with the approximate intelligence as a log, as well as levels that have about as much effort put into them as the concept of the game, for example: Being able to see the entire battlefield. This is a disappointment, and doesn't deserve to bear the XCOM title.
  15. Aug 23, 2013
    If you like XCOM, do not buy. Seriously. This is the single most important review I will ever write.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (And MOST XCOMs prior to this) are amazing. Fantastic interface, brilliant storylines and immerse gameplay. This is shallow and pathetic. Imagine XCOM yeah? Now imagine a game NOTHING like that, yeah? That is this. A weird hybrid game that wants to be Call Of Duty so badly it's shameful.
    How can you take a strategy series and make it action without any reasoning behind it?
    The game doesn't work and it never ever will.
    Your squad literally have to be babysat. They are useless on their own and will go down consistently. There is no RTS/TBS element to the game anymore and everything is down to luck. It is chaotic in the battlefield, cutscenes are long, boring and repetitive and there is no real storyline, just people talking at each other.
    Save yourself money, never ever buy this game.
    Seriously. Not even if it goes on sale. You will get way more enjoyment out of a new pair of socks.
  16. Aug 21, 2013
    This game could be a great horror that would have great ratings and was one of the best horror this year
    but no
    We got another boring and repetitive shooter
  17. Aug 23, 2013
    Mediocre Mass Effect clone. I am not a fan of Mass Effect combat system to begin with; in this game I liked it even less. They claimed the game is supposed to be as tactical as XCOM series. That is not so, it's a pretty standard squad shooter. Most tactics you will implement will be centered on keeping your idiot AI comrades alive, while your main guy shoots things. In many situations IMediocre Mass Effect clone. I am not a fan of Mass Effect combat system to begin with; in this game I liked it even less. They claimed the game is supposed to be as tactical as XCOM series. That is not so, it's a pretty standard squad shooter. Most tactics you will implement will be centered on keeping your idiot AI comrades alive, while your main guy shoots things. In many situations I felt that I'd much rather leave other agents on the base and just do the operation myself. Expand
  18. Aug 20, 2013
    10/10 Well done a good job storyline wise the controls are TOP It has the same strategy as all the other
    x-com's but with a much better story it also added the hole 3d person thing witch at first I was disliking and now I love it Just give this game a chance and it will work its love on you!
  19. Aug 21, 2013
    When I first got my hands on Xcom: Enemy Unknown I found it was a fun and interesting game. Since then I have always been interested in getting to know the other titles from the older series. Time passed and lets plays were watched but, I never bought the games (due to the lack of income...)
    Noticing the bundle that came with the new XCOM game The Bureau; I found this would be the perfect time to get some games I really wanted( and spec ops too, cool!). So, I like to lie to myself and think I spent most of my $44 on those games.
    With that guff out of the way The Bureau's good, bad, and ugly.

Good:
    I'm a sucker for the noir All the retro tech. and fedoras make me smile. The ability to rename and repaint my squaddies helps immerse me in the a world where every one is named Dick Swissknife.
    The guns are fun and diverse but, nothing new to xcom. Punching is hilarious, especially when your squaddies never see it coming.
    This game also implements Mass Effect style talking sequences. They don't bother me and help expand the lore. As well as the scattered notes and recordings that you will find along the linear levels. The story is something I'm not really good at judging so I won't be talking about it.

Bad:
    For a tactical 3rd person shooter The Bureau's UI is really poor. Switching from teammate and ability to teammate and ability is simple and easy unless, your mouse is anywhere on the screen. The game will then proceed to see the mouse as priority control. Which will then lead you to select the wrong command. Yes, you can then press backspace to cancel but, I shouldn't have to. Plus, for those of us who do like to squint at the game and pretend I'm doing something tactical, the mistake can set me back and often get my men killed. If my intention was to move them but attack is accidentally selected. For a tactical UI please use either keyboard shortcuts OR mouse control, not both.
    Small side note. The options menu is fairly restricted but at least the option to play in DX9 or DX11 is presented right as you load up. Then you are just a fingers-crossed moment away from playing Xcom.

Oh, and only two weapons, come on.

Ugly:
    I truly believe all of my teammates would much rather be dead than stay under my command. They consantly move out of cover and into the fray, despite my insistance that they stay in the one, and there is only one, full cover area. The team AI is thick as bricks. Moving them from one point to another is a gamble to whether they will remain safe and go along cover to there destination. Or they run straight through to there inevitable deaths.
    Also, no coop! I know Xcom has long been a singleplayer adventure but this would have been a perfect way to fix the AI; by getting rid of it.

Summary
    Good: Style, combat and lore.
    Bad: Tactical UI and options menu.
    Ugly: AI and lack of Coop.

Do I recommend this. Yes! but on sale. $20 at most. Not full price release.
  20. Aug 22, 2013
    I feel the critics have been overly harsh with this game. I just finished it, having put approximately 30 hours into the game. Granted that was doing every side mission, and taking my time to listen to conversations. Its definitely not Enemy Unknown, but I enjoyed it non the less.

The story was compelling, if a bit rushed in parts, and I wish they had incorporated some more of the research and building aspects of Unknown but in the end I was completely happy with my purchase. The end of the game feels very rushed, and I would have liked a bit more diversity among my squad as I tended to use the same two for every mission.

Definitely worth a buy though, as long as your expectations are right.
  21. Aug 22, 2013
    This game is very good, tactics, rpg, atmosphere etc. Only thing that misses is base management.
    The biggest problem of this game is its name, many people (including critics, who should be neutral) simply can't deal with the xcom game from soldier's (agent's) sight and they automatically give a bad score without any thought or doubt.
    So, if you want to know the real "score" of this game,
    So, if you want to know the real "score" of this game, you have to add some points (10-15%) to annulate the haters.
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    I was looking forward to this and after a few hours of playing I really can't be bothered.
    Its not terrible but I've played a few 3rd person squad based shooters and this doesn't really deliver anything new or exciting.
    It feels like a console port (probably is) and it jsut doesn't feel as tight as previous xcom games. Which is a shame as I really wanted to enjoy this game. I think
    Which is a shame as I really wanted to enjoy this game.

I think that a game should be entertaining, if it isn't surely its in breach of trade description act.
    I'm not saying this is the worst game in the wolrd but I think if you've got £29.99 to spend, you'd probably be better spending it on something else.

Buyer beware :D
  23. Aug 23, 2013
    Fun game with a good story and challenging FPS tactical combat. It could use some polish and a better introduction first mission, but the squad customization and base exploration story telling is worth the play through.
  24. Aug 25, 2013
    boring, seems 30$ of the pricetag went to the Xcom label and the leftover was put into dev. Halfassed Mass Effect clone with bad controls, stiff character control, and bad performance
  25. Aug 21, 2013
    bought and played this just recently... Now as a fan of x-com games i have to honestly say the bureau fails miserably to recapture anything more then some run and gun alien killing...

Theres NO base building or even upgrading your base its just a hub to create new recruits of which theres no female versions. its one big sausage fest here. theres no real threat looming you can do any mission in any order as you see fit..

The voice acting is not terrible but its lacking considerably theres little to no life to the characters. lots of graphical clipping, mouths don't move very well and sometimes not at all while the "actors" are speaking.

This game from my point of view seems incredibly dumbed down for an x-com game. every time you get a new ability it gos in to lengthy detail via a cinematic movie about how the ability works. which is helpful but should be a side thing not a requirement. it really detracts from the story which is'nt really all that great, with out going in to great detail, aliens invade "skins look ripped right out of the previous x-com game for the 360." you fight them blah blah blah boring...ZzzzzzZZzz

you dont get to capture alien tech and research it, you just find it in the field and equip it once you've found one aliens just drop there guns which you couldn't get that way before hand because they would disintegrate...now there every where...

TLDR:
    Nothing to do with an xcom game other then the title and aliens..
    No base building this is a big big NO NO imo.
    No tech capturing and research, you just find them and use them in the environment. once found you can equip them.
    No real looming threat, fills like no reason to continue playing, theres no real bad guy just a bunch of aliens to kill.
    No character creation, just minor customization.

Doesn't fill like an x-com game at all really needs base building and character creation. In this day and age theres no excuse not to include a character creation with both male and female versions doesn't even have to be super in depth. Its just laziness to omit such things.

You just don't make a new game and complexly leave out the major things that made up a big enjoyable part of previous incarnations. I have half a mind to go back to walmart and get a refund. they always take them back.
  26. Aug 20, 2013
    Not sure why others don't see this as an XCOM game. XCOM have tried different game types in the past. Some more successful than others. For a third person shooter it feels right. And I get to actually shoot the aliens this time myself instead of just targeting and hoping. Fun.

This is a game I've enjoyed playing, that's why I give it a 10/10.
  27. Aug 22, 2013
    I was excited when I saw footage of this new XCOM game, I thought it was a fresh idea to try and make XCOM a more streamlined (crowd friendly) experience, but boy was I wrong. I'm generally an "Any genre guy", I play it all, but this new hybrid take on turn based strategy and 3rd person shooting just doesn't work. Hell, it's even hard for me to put the words strategy and shooting in theI was excited when I saw footage of this new XCOM game, I thought it was a fresh idea to try and make XCOM a more streamlined (crowd friendly) experience, but boy was I wrong. I'm generally an "Any genre guy", I play it all, but this new hybrid take on turn based strategy and 3rd person shooting just doesn't work. Hell, it's even hard for me to put the words strategy and shooting in the previous sentence because the game misses both aspects by a mile.

For a shooter to be enjoyable, you need to have comfortable shooting mechanics, nice gun feel and an overall sense of power when you hit an enemy, XCOM fail completely in this aspect. The gun feel is horrible, there's no feeling of "UMFFF!" when you fire any weapons or activate any abilities, it all seems completely static. Most fights feel like all I'm doing is transporting ammunition from my ammo counter to the faces of my opponents with little to no joy at all.

This being an XCOM game it's no surprise that most of the game takes place in cover; behind walls, crates, vehicles and things of that nature, that's all fine and dandy, but it really shows how lackluster this game is when you realize there's no way of you to tell your teammates that "You have to STAY in cover!", no no, your teammates will keep blasting until they drop or get saved (And still you'll end up killing 90% of the aliens you encounter). Your teammates insist on being part of the mayhem and in many cases you either have to save them yourself or reposition them again and again using the slow-motion tactical view--- which leads me to the strategic part of the game:

Everything strategic is done using a slow-motion spider sense that enables you to tell your teammates where to go and what to do, this feature is so slow to use considering the game is still "playing" while you're moving this huge marker across the battlefield to your desired location. Imagine a level where you have a lot of different elevations, high and low, for me to tell my teammate to "Get to high ground, Here!" I have to move my marker AROUND all the obstacles on its way and up the stairs, instead of this marker just floating up and over anything in its way. This may seem like a small issue, but considering when you've finally repositioned your team the enemies will have had enough slow-mo time to move to entirely new locations, which leads to a very vicious circle of constant slow-mo management (In many cases I found it easier to just let my teammates stay waaay behind in cover and then go and shoot the baddies myself, even later in the game). Well then, I just need to do it faster and better then... but isn't that exactly the opposite of what any fan would expect from these series? It rushes the decision making, it forces crude judgement and quick thinking. In the old games I could take a dump between each move and still come out on top, but if I misclicked once BAM, my team would be in trouble, but not doomed. Now you have to think on your feet, if you place a teammate in the wrong location once and he decides to play the hero and keep blasting, BAM down he goes, down forever.

It may sound like I'm judging the game because of its difficulty, but I'm a very passionate gamer and love a serious challenge, but XCOM has simply taken a route I completely disagree with- the story and characters are all rather enjoyable (at least I enjoyed it) but I simply couldn't handle the simplistic strategy and boring shooting when I was expecting a sweet blend of XCOM mechanics and "Mass Effect"'ish firefights and storytelling.

It's also plain to see as a mostly PC gamer (Is it possible to write this without sounding like a douche?) how this game was specifically designed to be played on a console, which leads me to the conclusion that this game was nothing but an attempt to use yet another great IP to do a quick hit and run cash-in by catering to the sheeple who can't stretch their minds around too many game elements at the same time.

Call me a fanboy or whatever, but the changes done to this XCOM is the equivalent of adding shooter elements to Civilization V or changing zombies in Left 4 Dead to normal soldiers- it takes the CORE out the game. It's no longer what it was born as- It's simply not XCOM.
  28. Aug 22, 2013
    This. Is. Excellent! I beg of you not to listen to the other reviewers (most of them seem to complain that it isn't like the other XCOM games?!) and try this game for yourself. I was playing this on my low(-ish) spec laptop (only an i3 processor and Intel HD 3000 Graphics card) before and it runs super smoothly. Even the low settings on this game looks incredible. The characters, gameplayThis. Is. Excellent! I beg of you not to listen to the other reviewers (most of them seem to complain that it isn't like the other XCOM games?!) and try this game for yourself. I was playing this on my low(-ish) spec laptop (only an i3 processor and Intel HD 3000 Graphics card) before and it runs super smoothly. Even the low settings on this game looks incredible. The characters, gameplay and storyline seems pretty good so far. Controls are easy to use and quite intuitive... The people criticising this game for not being like the others should have known that, as it was made extremely clear that it's a 3rd person shooter. Buy it, try it, and I'm sure you'll like it! Expand
  29. Aug 25, 2013
    When I first launched this game, I expected an xcom game reimagined as a third person shooter and also somewhat of a prequel.
    What I got was a horribly designed Mass Effect 3 combat game with cheesy but somewhat interesting storyline, horrible AI and even more horrible UI.
    The game clearly lacks polish as a lot of sounds appear to be missing. You can see that during some of the cutscenes. Sloppy sound design.
    Controls are horrible and unresponsive. This game is a horrible, half-assed console port. At least there are some graphics options to be had. Sadly, the game still looks really horrible, graphically.
    You can't configure it SHIFT is used to sprint, take cover and run out of cover. Not to mention that shooting from cover is a pain in the ass in certain positions.
    The UI is unresponsive and horribly designed. You can clearly experience the 'amazing' loading times when customizing your agents. When in-game in combat, you can see the console port. There are no use of hotkeys during combat.
    Luckily, the combat in this game is somewhat pleasant. The guns feel powerful enough and the enemies feel real and dangerous enough for a thrill while fighting.
    I have to admit, the plot twist caught me off guard. It's certainly interesting and makes your brain twist at times. Although the characters felt very shallow and boring, the story was solid enough to keep me going until the end.
    Don't drop the game if you get bored at the start play for a few hours. The story gets more interesting midway in the game. There are even some choices towards the end of the game that will give you an extra hour or two if you replay the game.
    The fact that the character animations and lipsync were half-assed made the whole experience worse.
    Overall, I honestly think the game would have been a lot better with more development time. The story was definitely unique and original, to say the least. However, the game lacks polish.
    This game is probably one of the main of examples of sloppy, underdone and mediocre developer work.
    Under the horrible graphics, AI, UI, design choices and character development lies an interesting, compelling and thought provoking story. Sadly, that 'interesting' part (the plot twist) is by the end of the game.
  30. Aug 20, 2013
    Sure, this isn't a perfect game, but the gameplay is decent and the story is very interesting. Despite playing it on the PC, I did use a 360 controller. I liked the controller, and I would recommend you use one if you like console gaming, even if you're playing on the PC. This is not the game that many think it is, it's much better. I'd recommend renting a console copy or buying it on sale.
  31. Aug 24, 2013
    This game is amazing. I have been having a blast playing it. Think of a mix of Xcom and Mass Effect. These 2 awesome games are brought to you in a single package. This was totally worth every penny I spent.
  32. Aug 20, 2013
    Remember the original X-COM and the re-make by Firaxis that was almost (but not quite) as good? Yeah, well this game is nothing like those.

It's not a bad third person shooter, but this game is definitely not X-COM.
  33. Aug 21, 2013
    Coming into The Bureau, I was expecting a mediocre experience at best. In my 8 hours spent with it I've learned I was wrong. So far the combat has been incredibly satisfying. Lifting a Sectoid into the air and ordering a Sniper to use a critical strike to blow its head clean off its shoulders feels incredibly fantastic. I don't know how they did it, but it feels (to me at least) like anComing into The Bureau, I was expecting a mediocre experience at best. In my 8 hours spent with it I've learned I was wrong. So far the combat has been incredibly satisfying. Lifting a Sectoid into the air and ordering a Sniper to use a critical strike to blow its head clean off its shoulders feels incredibly fantastic. I don't know how they did it, but it feels (to me at least) like an XCOM game. Graphically, the game looks good. Not great, just good. I must admit, I had no idea that there was PhysX suport and I haven't used it yet. The story so far has been alright. Nothing truly spectacular, although it does keep me on the edge of my seat trying to figure out who you can trust. Squad customization is not nearly as deep as it is in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but it's there. So in short, I'm enjoying my time with the game a great deal. If you enjoy XCOM and are looking for a diversion until XCOM: Enemy Within comes out, then I highly recommend this game. If you've never played XCOM before, then I suggest starting with Enemy Unknown, not The Bureau, because c'mon, Enemy Unknown was awesome. Expand
  34. Aug 23, 2013
    Very nice! Traced connection with XCOM Enemy Unknown. And explain WHAT happened on Earth from the beginning. Cool! Graphics, styling, interface overall outstanding! Thank you SO MUCH, 2K Marin and 2K Games! Well DONE! Just keep going!
  35. Aug 21, 2013
    10/10 it's not a pure xcom okay deal with it but it's a good game not a bad game 10/10 because so many want this game so bad so i just want to equilibrate the score sorry for my english
  36. Aug 24, 2013
    Let me get this out of the way: The Bureau is not XCOM:EU or any other previous XCOM game; if you expected it to be then just leave. The Bureau is an interesting concept with some interesting mechanics, it's difficult but not overly. It feels a little clunky at times and has a HUGE learning curve: you're looking at about 2-3 hours before you even get close to the actual game. But none theLet me get this out of the way: The Bureau is not XCOM:EU or any other previous XCOM game; if you expected it to be then just leave. The Bureau is an interesting concept with some interesting mechanics, it's difficult but not overly. It feels a little clunky at times and has a HUGE learning curve: you're looking at about 2-3 hours before you even get close to the actual game. But none the less it is worth the money. Expand
  37. Aug 21, 2013
    The Bureau Xcom Declassified xcom series is very good. i think user many facilities in this game to play this game the Bureau begins investigating a series of mysterious attacks by an enemy more powerful than communism. i think game is actionable you can play this game
  38. Aug 23, 2013
    The Bureau IS worth the 50$! I have been an avid x-com fan since day one and have owned it on every system. The controls could use a little fine tuning however, the story and flow of the game are both great!

If you haven't played the game. Imagine a typical action adventure game except with a twist whenever you encounter the enemy you can press space bar and slow the combat down extremely and issue orders to your guys just like a typical battle in x-com. Okay, so it's not exactly like that but it feels similar. This game is unique! Anyone who says otherwise is more than likely quick to judge or a pubescent little girl! Remember a 9 nine year old can post on Metacritic! Judge for yourself!
  39. Aug 23, 2013
    I believe this game is a lot better than people give it credit for. Fans may be angry at the change from turn based strategy to an 3rd person shooter, but it definitely is not just run and gun, it requires careful positioning and strategy. looking at this game as a separate entity from the other games in the series is important. yes it is different but a solid game.
  40. Aug 24, 2013
    As many others I don't get all the negative reviews.
    I'm an old fan of XCOM, I had my objections to latest XCOM Enemy Unknown, but Bureau is what I think it was supposed to be.
    Graphics look good, missions play nice, story is ok and basically it's what I expected, a TPP game in XCOM universe, that is something more than a shooter. So yeah, thanks 2K Marin, I hope you'll keep working on
    As many others I don't get all the negative reviews.
    So yeah, thanks 2K Marin, I hope you'll keep working on this branch of XCOM games.
  41. Aug 25, 2013
    tl;dr;
    Poor, shallow, tedious, rather boring game. My advice is not to buy unless it's in a very good sale deal.
    Regardless of whether other players defend it or slate it I can only say that I simply did not enjoy this game. I "get" that it's not XCOM: Enemy Unknown however that doesn't excuse the many bad points this game has. First, the good-ish news. Graphically, it's not bad. No
    tl;dr;

First, the good-ish news. Graphically, it's not bad. No real complaints there.

Game mechanic-wise The Bureau involves little more than story-telling cut-scenes, a lot of running around to get from point A to B to C and finally to some actual game play the "tactical" combat. Did I mention a lot of running from point A to point B?

The combat is the best part of the game. In itself reasonably enjoyable. A hybrid shooter/strategy system but not enough to carry the entire game I'm afraid and certainly far from perfect.

In The Bureau, your agents can level-up after gaining experience but this just doesn't seem to have the same relevance as it does for your squad in, say XCOM: Enemy Unknown where having a levelled-up squad seems to make a real difference and you strive to keep them alive. In The Bureau, it's like "he's leveled up meh."

Equipping team members with new equipment is laborious and clunky; using a controller because the keyboard controls are just too much trouble involves lots of right button, right button, down, down, click, down, down, click, right trigger, repeat for each team member. Yawn.

I've seen reviews here stating this game has high replay value. Seriously, I'm wondering if I can stomach playing it through to the end ONCE, let alone returning to it. There are far better games out there deserving of my time.

It's awkward that The Bureau pre-order perk on Steam; receiving the other XCOM titles including Enemy Unknown are actually better games than The Bureau itself.
  42. Aug 23, 2013
    This isn't an XCOM game per se, but that' ok. Still, even for a game in its own right it definitely has shortcomings. It feels bland, stiff, and cliche. Much alike most games of late, it's all style and explosions, but has no substance to speak of. The story is somewhat nice and engaging at times, yet I can't help but feel that this is a largely missed opportunity. With its setting andThis isn't an XCOM game per se, but that' ok. Still, even for a game in its own right it definitely has shortcomings. It feels bland, stiff, and cliche. Much alike most games of late, it's all style and explosions, but has no substance to speak of. The story is somewhat nice and engaging at times, yet I can't help but feel that this is a largely missed opportunity. With its setting and overall atmosphere it has the potential to make an awesome tactical strategy. It's saddening that it's become just a failed attempt to cater to a wider audience of gamers. Honestly, i can't see who wouldn't feel lost in this game. Expand
  43. Aug 20, 2013
    First, it's hard to separate this from the X-Com series since it has X-Com in the name. It is an FPS "in universe" so there's a lot of somewhat familiar characters, but the story makes no sense and is not at all related to other games in the series.

As a stand-alone squad FPS it's fairly lacking. Squad controls are mediocre, and AI is terrible (running into walls, ignoring land mines, running through open areas rather than using nearby cover, etc). It really has to be micromanaged which isn't fun in an action game, and will likely get your main character shot.

The game also lacks a lot of polish The graphics are dated (even for the 1960's style) and framerates are slow on high-end machines unless you seriously turn down settings. The overall storyline is full of cliche moments, and the game just lacks an overall amount of completeness. This isn't something that's likely to be fixed through patches either, as the "core" game is done, but not all the little extra things that make it feel alive.

It is an interesting take on the genre, overall, but I have buyers remorse and would not recommend it to others especially not at full price.
  44. Aug 23, 2013
    Considering the Bureau's long and painful production cycle (wonderfully explained on polygon.com), it turned out to be a surprisingly good game. Certainly it has its flaws, like the inconsistent plot (for a while it seems like the game is a parody on B-movies, but it's not, stuff's presented seriously) with cliche characters, out-of-place moral decisions, the dialogues, sometimes reachingConsidering the Bureau's long and painful production cycle (wonderfully explained on polygon.com), it turned out to be a surprisingly good game. Certainly it has its flaws, like the inconsistent plot (for a while it seems like the game is a parody on B-movies, but it's not, stuff's presented seriously) with cliche characters, out-of-place moral decisions, the dialogues, sometimes reaching unprecedented degrees of stupidity (Alien interrogation. It's VERY dumb.), the cheesy voice acting and moderately clunky controls. But it's the gameplay that still manages to pull the game out of depths of awfulness. While using Mass Effect's combat system as a foundation, The Bureau expands on it, providing some interesting tactical situations. Here, especially on the harder difficulties, the Rambo style won't work, you'll have to manage your squad's actions. (The squadmates on their own are pretty dumb, can't use their powers and tend to run out into the open and get incapacitated.) The Bureau's path to being released was long and winding, but the developers managed to make the game quite enjoyable. It's one of the games I clearly see a sequel to: so many mistakes await to be fixed and with that done, we'll get a great game instead of a good one. Expand
  45. Aug 26, 2013
    the "series" has 20 years behind it creating good games with good stories, good interfaces, stretching from stragety to fightsimulators, and then this pops up...
    i feel robbed, this game suffers from console-syndrome, i don't believe i'm ever going to play this through
  46. Aug 24, 2013
    "XCOM Declassified: Wearing smart casual to alien firefights since 1963"

In all seriousness, the game was alright; managing to create a genuine sense of scope and gravitas midway throughout, after stumbling over itself in the opening missions. However, It did feel a bit bland, and the storyline comes across as forcibly emotive and hard to take seriously in some instances. In XCOM:
    "XCOM Declassified: Wearing smart casual to alien firefights since 1963"

However, It did feel a bit bland, and the storyline comes across as forcibly emotive and hard to take seriously in some instances. In XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the situation of an alien invasion felt plausible. The aliens never "talked" or interacted with the player, serving to pull you into the games atmosphere as you attempted to deal with what could very well have been a real and "unknown" threat to the earth and humanity, as you slowly discover clues and scraps of information regarding the alien's agenda.

In the XCOM Declassified however, this feeling is gone, replaced by a slightly generic, Hollywood esque scifi narrative that instead creates its own alternate human history, rather than attempt to play along with the events of the cold war in the 60's as cover ups for alien activity (A premise that could have been brilliantly developed and executed, but alas...).

But if there's one thing I should say, it's kudos to the developers for the SHEER amount of dialogue and brilliant character interactions throughout your time spent in the underground XCOM base. (I swear I've almost had the impulse to use one of Carter's signature hand gestures in conversation :P)

All in all, it's a decent, slightly clunky third person cover based shooter, with a commendably executed, yet somewhat bland and predictable plot.
  47. Aug 23, 2013
    The constant revisions to gameplay are really obvious when you get a chance to play it. The gameplay is very well structured and thought out; unfortunately the rest of the game is not so much.
    The voice acting is forced, and doesn't feel truly authentic, although the choice in voices is brilliant.
    The story is lacking that something to get you to feel for the characters, and any that you lose, by story or just through the normal gameplay, don't make you feel anything.
    Given, most XCOM games are pure tactical, turn-based-strategy, but for a game like this (and in this generation), you need more than just stellar gameplay. You need a bit more variety and a better story (or at least better executed).
  48. Aug 23, 2013
    I liked the refreshing ways this game was different. I like the way you moved and issued orders to your squad, and it becomes relevant with the difficulty all the way up. I'm more reliant on my squad in this game than I ever was in Mass Effect, even on insanity. I do think, especially in the early game there are major flaws. The one that really bothered me was your allies in the firstI liked the refreshing ways this game was different. I like the way you moved and issued orders to your squad, and it becomes relevant with the difficulty all the way up. I'm more reliant on my squad in this game than I ever was in Mass Effect, even on insanity. I do think, especially in the early game there are major flaws. The one that really bothered me was your allies in the first mission having alien tech like laser turrets. I know they have you leveled up allies for the tutorial level, but it made things seem absurd. But abilities feel like they have real power when used correctly.

I feel like the conversation wheel falls flat too often. In a game like Mass Effect, there are certainly the times where a conversation feels unnatural and disjointed based on the order you address things, but The Bureau usually feels that way. Plus the fact that conversations don't branch makes me wonder why they bothered with the system instead of just having scripted, skippable conversations. I also think the lack of a research system was a missed opportunity, but this game isn't a turn-based strategy XCOM with randomly generated missions, and I recognize that. It wan nice to see an XCOM game with a story though.

Overall I've enjoyed my time with the game. I might feel a little more short changed were it not for all the free stuff you got with a Steam preorder.
  49. Aug 23, 2013
    Although not perfect I don't understand why the game is getting bad reviews. A few negatives are that only one key can be bind to each action and some agent abilities can be fiddly moving with the camera. Over all though this game is enjoyable and much better than some reviewers would have you believe.

I especially like the XCOM 60's theme and the GFX is good too. I probably would not pay £30 for it but considering I got it for £20 with all the pre-order bonuses I'm quite happy and will have fun playing it through once. I don't see this game having the replay ability of XCOM Enemy Unknown, but these are 2 fundamentally different games, so would be unfair to compare them. They share the same theme and that's where it ends.

Don't expect Battlefield 3 or Mass Effect 3 and look at this game as something unique.
  50. Aug 23, 2013
    I enjoy this game very much. I like the grafic-style, the details in the xcom-base, the ironman-gamemode while in action/battle and i like the mix of shooter and tactic (tactic-shooter). The only thing which annoys me a little bit is the console-port-hotkey-stuff. A suitable interface for the PC-version would be much better.
  51. Aug 25, 2013
    The plot of the story is not as bad as the reviews shows. What is annoying and boring is the management of the headquarters. I am not an expert on X-com games but I am quite experienced in shooters. I did not quite get the combat, and you should care for your partners every second before they need to be revived. I think the IA of the partner isn't enough for a game meant to be partiallyThe plot of the story is not as bad as the reviews shows. What is annoying and boring is the management of the headquarters. I am not an expert on X-com games but I am quite experienced in shooters. I did not quite get the combat, and you should care for your partners every second before they need to be revived. I think the IA of the partner isn't enough for a game meant to be partially played as a shooter. Expand
  52. Aug 25, 2013
    Played the game to near completion and I must say this game does not deserve those low scores. Story is interesting, the shooter mechanic is fun and the premise of the game is amazing. Don't let the reviewers discourage you from getting this game. If you enjoy Mass Effect you'll enjoy this game tremendously.

AI is dumb at the beginning and needs a lot of micro management but as you go

AI is dumb at the beginning and needs a lot of micro management but as you go up in level they grow smarter as well, as it should be. Fiddle with the customizable control if you find the PC settings to be a bit challenging. It will grow on you after awhile. If you are used to playing ME then you'd know how to play this game, you have to keep using your Battle Focus to be effective, always go for the recon NPC as they have the critical strike which is a very powerful attack.

PC is still the way to go I guess. Turn off the PhysX and Screen Decal settings if you experience slowdown, just some tip for PC users who finds this game to be a resource hog. This is my first time in metacritic but I really have to write because of all those negative reviews out there have to put in something positive. There are tons of good game releases this week but I find it that this is the game I'm putting my time on. Love this game!
  53. Sep 2, 2013
    This is one of the worst games I have played this year and it all comes down to one thing: Controls. I pre-ordered this game on steam seeing the XCOM name and how they were going to make a strategic shooter that has had some great entries in its genre in the past (ie Republic Commando). The Bureau has a downright lazy control system that is more likely to get you killed. Pressing space mayThis is one of the worst games I have played this year and it all comes down to one thing: Controls. I pre-ordered this game on steam seeing the XCOM name and how they were going to make a strategic shooter that has had some great entries in its genre in the past (ie Republic Commando). The Bureau has a downright lazy control system that is more likely to get you killed. Pressing space may be fine, but since its a 10% real time speed strategic mode you MUST nail the control scheme or your squad will be slaughtered... something 2K Games failed to do. Issuing commands are only taken as vague suggestions by the engines, your squad constantly goes to illogical cover only to be shot up. So you overide and by the time you plot out a path and execute the order they are down to half health (about 20 of our seconds plotting the move, issuing cover, and then designating a target). By the time you have one position designated and in proper cover there is already a grenade hurled towards you that the broken cover system wont let you clear in the 5 seconds it takes to pop. Now your allies break cover trying to rez you resulting in a team wipe. Rinse and repeat for perhaps 13 hours of some otherwise good story telling and interesting back-story on how XCOM originally came to exist... though this seems to be quite alternative universe.

This game isn't to bad other then that, but it still is unplayable and 2K clearly designed this game to be unplayable despite otherwise decent to excellent content. So go ahead and get a game that has a better day 1 experience... like the new SimCity. :p
  54. Sep 21, 2013
    the worst game i have ever pre-ordered (i have over 300 on my steam library and have been gaming for A LONG time) what to say it runs with terrible fps drops (on a top of the range pc) the gameplay is old enough to be in the mid 2005 budget games, the gaphics can be somewhat okay but they didnt take the 40's look to heart. also the controls are clunky, the movement system is terrible andthe worst game i have ever pre-ordered (i have over 300 on my steam library and have been gaming for A LONG time) what to say it runs with terrible fps drops (on a top of the range pc) the gameplay is old enough to be in the mid 2005 budget games, the gaphics can be somewhat okay but they didnt take the 40's look to heart. also the controls are clunky, the movement system is terrible and after 4 hours of trying to like this game i cant find one thing i enjoy in this sad state of a money grab (towards xcom fans). to date the worst game i have ever pre-ordered (and possibly that i own) Expand
  55. Aug 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, when i first heard about this "shooter with XCOM in it" i thought about another quick cash grab game like "X-COM: Enforcer".
    First of all as most of us (i hope so) thought this game has nothing to do with XCOM. Just some shooter with some mutons and sectoids in it.
    First of all i'm going to talk about plot. I don't like it. At all. At first it's ok: despair of losing war, some tension building with this sleepwalker disease. But around the mid game all that goes to hell and 2K start to feed you something that makes no sense at all as a plot. First mistake is that they tried to do some emotional things like agent Weaver's brother and agent DaSilva turning into sleepwalker. But they forgot to do anything to get you attached to any character in game. So you literally don't give a single f*ck. So then Carter let Weaver kill Axis after millions of warnings that everyone and their mothers want him ALIVE i was sitting in my chair with one thought "WTF??! Why?!" After that things goes completely nuts along with Carter himself. And suddenly scientists who's job before was primary to set silacoids inside the base on rampage or blow you up with new weapon prototype invented and constructed some flying sausage that (despite major advantage of aliens in technology) completely undetectable (even if it's clearly visible visually) by Outsiders. So all their military might doesn't matter any more, because XCOM can strike anywhere (for example at main ship surrounded my massive defensive fleet). 'Merica, f*ck yeah! Oh, btw, i wonder why "ruassians" in modern games mostly speak the same awful pseudo russian language as in old movies? Don't think it that hard to find decent russian voice actor now in America. So only thing i can say about plot is that they bite more than they can chew. In my opinion game should focus only on the earliest incursion, defeating expedition force at best and leaving main force for "Enemy Unknown".
    As for strategy TPS a have a mixed feallings. On one side this is the best incarnation of it so far. I found it much more interesting and tense than in Mass Effect. Only thing i wish is slow time effect while you targeting with grenade. At the same time this tactical combat became boring too quickly. Mostly because you doing same thing over and over again. You meet all aliens and all agents hit max level (except Carter) in about first third of the game. So there is nothing new to bring in, just variations for the same enemies but more bullet spongy. Add awful console controls to it. Just imagine sprint, stick to cover and jump over cover all this actions are on one button. And that not the worst thing. The worst is that you can't move cursor in tactical pause mode over obstacles. So you have to move it around but that's not always possible (because of placement radius limitation). To make thing even more frustrating there is an AI for you. You think about enemy AI that cheats or something? Nope, it's about your mates AI. They act like they know better what to do. So if you gave command to friendly agent to take cover behind this crate don't be surprised to find him somewhere on the other part of the map just some 20 seconds later.
    While graphics are good and probably the best part of this game it still have it share of problems. First of all lip sync. It doesn't sync at all. Also there are flame rate drops. There is nothing in this game that modern PC can't handle but from time to time frame rate drops under 20 fps.
    So there was a chance to make Bureau a good game. Despite technical problems first half of this game really trying to be decent while everything else have a "oh crap, lets quickly finish and sell it already" taste. But 2k wasted that chance. So if you want a XCOM go buy Xenonauts or Enemy Unknown at least. If you want a good TPS go buy new Splinter Cell. Or Saint Row IV if you want TPS with totally nuts story ("'Merica, f*ck yeah!" included).
  56. Aug 26, 2013
    Let me be perfectly clear: The Bureau is a third person alien shooter with sort-of turn based gameplay thrown in, some classes, and some XCOM lore thrown in. It's more of an X-COM: Enforcer than Enemy Unknown. It's very important for you to know this, and I'll discuss why later. For the time being, allow me to give you my impressions on it:

This game is far from perfect. First off,

This game is far from perfect.

First off, and despite the messages suggesting you to flank your enemies and remaining mobile, the Bureau is a pretty punishing game with aggressive tactics, and the player soon has to learn to to turtle up and play it safe unless he wants to risk two droids suddenly popping out of nowhere and pummeling your squad into dust. In some cases, your squadmates will continually get hit despite being behind cover. It doesn't help the fact that the AI will act up sometimes, exposing your allies to fire for no good reason.

And it's not just the fact that your squadmates seem to have quite a bit of trouble aiming, but the aliens are able to take quite a lot of hits while able to dish out considerable amounts of damage in the process, especially if a Commander is on the field, which will shield allies and make them even hardier. The problem with this is not only the fact that you neeed to be constantly watching out for insta-outflanks, but having to spend almost an entire magazine per alien, you run the risk of running out of bullets pretty fast, and then you will be exposed to both enemy fire and maybe an even bigger hindrance: the controls.

The Bureau's controls are one of the most indecisive and weird I've seen in some time. It seems a game designed with a controller in mind (you move markers along the ground to signal orders to your allies with WASD, as opposed to the mouse, for instance), but it really takes advantage of the keyboard and mouse layout for quick and efficient shootout control, and as a result you are constantly wondering if it wouldn't be better to switch from keyboard to gamepad and vice versa. Add to that a couple of bafflingly impractical actions (you do THE EXACT SAME THING -tapping "R"- to reload than to pick up ammo than to pick up weapons, which frequently can lead you to switch your empty sniper rifle for a shotgun and grab the ammo the shotgun instead for the rifle in just two presses of "R", leaving you utterly rifleless in a long-range battle, for instance), and a honestly weird menu layout, and you'll end up wondering how could 2K Marin seriously mess up such basic features so hard.

Graphics are OK. For the most part, and for the scenario that the developers thought we would be looking at. Turn around somewhere you aren't expected to look at, though, and you might find some of the worst scenario filler I've seen in a while, and that's counting sandbox games such as Prototype 2: blank, ginormous sheets of metal, blank walls, lifeless environments; and the game needs a nice computer to run it all at a decent speed, too: my i7 3770 8GB DDR3 RAM Nvidia GTX650 2GB DDR5 couldn't handle it at max detail, having to turn off some of the subtler options.

Characters are pretty unique, and in some cases they remind me a bit of L.A. Noire's cast. While not award-winning, one can be really entertained by the Dirty Harry-esque dialogue from the main character. There is a dialogue tree that really doesn't do much aside from giving you some extra info, there are a bunch of collectibles strewn about, and there are a couple of side missions that usually need you to go from point A to point B and then to point A again. Serviceable, if a bit lackluster. Soundtrack can be pretty inmersive, and voicework is pretty good too.

All in all, The Bureau is not a perfect game, but it is not a BAD one: every aspect of it is unpolished and even weird sometimes, but it does its job without really failing at anything. It is a Rogue Trooper, or a Stubbs the Zombie, or any Red Faction game: bad enough to not be a classic, good enough to play, complete and forget about, and I think it deserves love despite its faults.

A lot of people seem to hate the "XCOM" in the title, and it's probably the most main point of many people's about it. It's quite tragic, in my opinion, that someone would pre-order, buy and then complain about "their" turn-based strategy franchise being ruined by a Third Person Shooter when there's already been X-COM games that have deviated from the original formula (basically all of them between "terror of the deep" and "enemy unknown"), but then again, that shows you when people in the internet feel entitled to with franchises that are older than themselves.

The game came with its DLC, plus all the X-COM collection and Spec Ops: The Line as pre-order bonuses for about 40€, which is an awesome deal. If you didn't get it then, you'd probably do better to wait for it to go on sale for Halloween or Christmas. If you like third person shooters get it, but maybe not at full price.

7.5.
  57. Aug 31, 2013
    This is probably one of the most generic games I've ever played.

+Guns work +60's style is somewhat realized here. +When you shoot at enemies from the side or from behind, it does bonus damage. -Graphics are really outdated, plastic looking faces, hair, and washed out textures. Except for the 2 main characters. -It has audiologs... in giant movie reels... kind of retarded way to
    This is probably one of the most generic games I've ever played.

+Guns work
    +60's style is somewhat realized here.
    +When you shoot at enemies from the side or from behind, it does bonus damage.

-It has audiologs... in giant movie reels... kind of retarded way to add audio. How do common people record their thoughts with giant movie reels? It makes no sense. They threw it in because most FPS/TPS have it now. Suffice to say it's really boring dialogue. Nobody has anything interesting to say.
    -Characters are almost non-existent.
    -Story is the same story as every single sci-fi movie out there. Aliens attack, they have a hive mind and must attack this central point.
    -Reclaiming a nuclear missile silo is overtaken by aliens and it's listed as a "minor mission"?
    -AI is downright lazy, not just bad, they run into walls, move right into incoming fire, they will ignore you if you shoot at them from the side/behind,

When ordering your squad mates to move to an area they either
    A. stay there whatever happens.. even if they are ambushed, they don't tell you that they are and they die.
    Or B. They move away from the position you told them to stay in for no apparent reason... even if that position is a good one.

Theres no hold position command, so when a squad mate gets shot down and cries for help.. all your men will run into enemy fire and die to try and save the man.. regardless of how insane that is.
  58. Aug 22, 2013
    I was incredibly surprised by this game. Im a big fan of XCOM Enemy Unknown. I haven't played the originals but i could see why so many people were getting pissed at this game when it was first announced. Although they did knock XCOM to a subtitle, i feel that they should have kept it out of the games name entirely to get better PR with XCOM fans. Now that they didn't you get a bunch ofI was incredibly surprised by this game. Im a big fan of XCOM Enemy Unknown. I haven't played the originals but i could see why so many people were getting pissed at this game when it was first announced. Although they did knock XCOM to a subtitle, i feel that they should have kept it out of the games name entirely to get better PR with XCOM fans. Now that they didn't you get a bunch of people ranting on Metacritic and other websites with giant nostalgia boners saying this is the worst game ever made. Simply put, it is a refreshing surprise. If you get it in you mind that this game has nothing to do with XCOM and plays more like Mass Effect, its a solid game. Not great, but solid. The Bureau builds an incredible atmosphere right from the beginning. It has a great 50's Noire feel to it that carries this game. The combat is almost exactly like ME and works well. Although the Ai will have its "special" moments, it is a fun third person cover shooter where flanking and planning are actually needed. Its not XCOM, but thats really the point. Over all i had fun with it, i wouldn't reccomend it for $60 but pick it up on its first sale or price cut for 30 or 40 dollars.I think its worth giving the devs the money at that price. Expand
  59. Aug 23, 2013
    I don't know what worse the Story or the AI, but neither is complete without the horrible graphics, I give this game a 4/10 and that's being generous, this game is an atrocity not just for the game play but also for allowing itself to be called x-com.
  60. Aug 23, 2013
    The story is interesting and entertaining and works perfectly as a sequel to the X-Com games. The only aspect that you may complain about is the gameplay, that has a few bugs that can easily be fixed with a patch. You should at least check it out.
  61. Aug 22, 2013
    Overall I think its a pretty decent game, It's pretty fun if you like tactical shooters. The gameplay style and mechanics are very similar to Mass Effect I think the developers actually even came out and said they were shooting for Mass Effect 'ish gameplay mechanics. It has a very authentic 50's-early 60's theme and feel. Sure it's not like any of the other X-COM or XCOM games but thenOverall I think its a pretty decent game, It's pretty fun if you like tactical shooters. The gameplay style and mechanics are very similar to Mass Effect I think the developers actually even came out and said they were shooting for Mass Effect 'ish gameplay mechanics. It has a very authentic 50's-early 60's theme and feel. Sure it's not like any of the other X-COM or XCOM games but then again almost all the games in the series are very different from each other anyways. To some it isn't "X-COM enough" but that doesn't make it a bad game, The Bureau is good in its own way, and has even some typical features of a XCOM game like the customization of your squad member's names, load outs and uniform color. So... In a nut shell.

PROS:
    *Awesome 50's atmosphere that feels very original.

*Tactical combat is fun and creative.

*Very logical abilities of squad member classes.

CONS:
    * Limited amount of customization options.

* The facial expressions of some of the NPC's are kind of bad, considering the standard of games
    in this day and age.

*Feels kinda short for a story based tactical shooter, games like this are good with longevity.

*Some wasted opportunities that could of pushed this game higher would of been something similar to XCOM:EU's collecting resources on the battlefield and researching tech for better weapons and armor.

In summary, The Bureau isn't a bad entry in the XCOM, it can be pretty fun to utilize your squad's abilities in combat, I just feel it needed more features and longer and better character progression for the player and the squad members.
  62. CWM
    Aug 24, 2013
    This Game is very disappointing! Forget the X-Com Label. Its not X-com anyway and not even close to it.
    Basically its a 3rd Person shooter vs Aliens. Beeing no X-Com at all doesnt mean it has to be Bad. What Bad about this is that everyone expecting at least "some X-Com flavor". And you wont get anything... no research, no mission-planing, completly NON-interaktiv base..... and so on.

So how is the shooter? Well Graphics are BAD as well as the Controls. Its a simple Console-Port. From a shooter i dont expect a deep strategic gameplay! But i expect good graphics and Animations on the PC.
    The AI is Horrible! Your guys are hoping out of cover for no reason dying in the Bulletstorm. Or even worse staying in cover but standing up while all enemys firing on them.
    But you can work around this if you permanently micro them.
    But the enemys....... "invasion my arse".... they would have trouble invading a theme park cause the Kids would slaughter them. They are ALWAYS standing behind a cover but showing their head permanently over the cover. Headshot-Time! NONSTOP! EVERY shooter-fan will more likely die of laughing at them.

So its a "Tactic shooter"?! Well you give your guys commands where they should go and where they should die.... ehh fight i mean. Using their abilitys is fun for like 2 minutes then you realize that skills are either completly OVERPOWERD killing all enemys with 1 Mousklick (Artilery barrage) or entirely useless and your better off using that second to kill 3 Aliens with Headshots.

I preordered on steam and got the free copy of "Spec Ops The Line". Actualy THIS was a awesome shooter! I played it through in 1 Day! Realy Take your money and buy SPEC OPS instead! WAAAAAYYYY better!
  63. Aug 25, 2013
    Stylization is nice, btw it is a pure console port 720p-ish, bloom is everywhere, poor tactics interface designed for gamepad, not for mouse. While storyline is quiet classic, there is still some spirit you felt so many times I know what can I expect next corner. It is not about tactics, because it has very limited usage, believe me. It is not about FPS, aiming system is so bad, like youStylization is nice, btw it is a pure console port 720p-ish, bloom is everywhere, poor tactics interface designed for gamepad, not for mouse. While storyline is quiet classic, there is still some spirit you felt so many times I know what can I expect next corner. It is not about tactics, because it has very limited usage, believe me. It is not about FPS, aiming system is so bad, like you hold your gun while being on some ship in the middle of ocean during storm. It is not about RPG, because your decisions are not taking you different ways and level system is just, erm, pathetic. And this is not about your base building, one of aspect X-COM series loved for. This is... I don't know. This is mediocre mix of genres, but nothing special in none of them. Really, nothing special. I know creating this game took a lot of time, nice ideas and money, but on the end it doesn't fit cost you pay for. Will you get your fun here? Sure, you will get a bit. Will this fun be enough to stay impressed? No. No. No. Expand
  64. Aug 26, 2013
    To be fair, I think if The Bureau was the first XCOM game out there it would be perceived very differently.
    Graphics were pretty decent and the gameplay wasn't all that bad for a port. By the end of it I was actually enjoying the command menu. Even the story, while a bit shallow and not very original, could be forgiven had it not been an almost exact copy of previous XCOM titles.
    If

If I had to describe with one word what was wrong with this game is that it felt Recycled.

And that goes for pretty much every aspect of the game. Storyline, environments, enemies, NPC's and even the gameplay. There was really nothing original about this game and unfortunately that realization comes pretty early in the game. Also what bothered me is that there seemed to be no logical connection from one even to another, which is most evident with the sleepwalkers.

So to sum it up:
    - not enough story
    - not enough action missions
    - not enough unique mission objectives
    - not enough unique environments and/or enemies
    - too much pointless running around the base

Again, not a terrible game in it's own, but definitely not worth full price.
  65. Aug 25, 2013
    I know it's not a strategy X-Com game and I know the other X-Com games weren't all strategy either, but this one really just missed the mark. From the start it just feels lack luster and uninspired as if the developers didn't even care about their own game. The combat feels clunky and unrealistic, for example you would think blasting away at an alien with a shotgun would make them duckI know it's not a strategy X-Com game and I know the other X-Com games weren't all strategy either, but this one really just missed the mark. From the start it just feels lack luster and uninspired as if the developers didn't even care about their own game. The combat feels clunky and unrealistic, for example you would think blasting away at an alien with a shotgun would make them duck back into cover, but instead they shoot back and often times do far more damage in less time. The problems with the weapons is that they do so little compared to the alien's weapons which would be fine since they have better technology but even using their own makes little difference. Most of the story is a drawn out sob story about an emo CIA agent seeking redemption and every turn and twist can be seen from a mile away. The side-quest system is a pain, the deployment system is atrocious, and the tactical game play is a joke. Stay away from this one. Expand
  66. Aug 23, 2013
    .Este es el segundo review que hago de este juego. Decidí darle la oportunidad después de haber gastado 45 dólares y este es el resultado. En mi primer review le di 3 de puntuación pero ahora lo voy a cambiar por un 6. Le he dedicado unas 6 horas al juego en este momento. Admito que mi me decepcione porque soy un Fan de Xcom-Enemy Unknow y esperaba más de ese tipo de juego de estrategia..Este es el segundo review que hago de este juego. Decidí darle la oportunidad después de haber gastado 45 dólares y este es el resultado. En mi primer review le di 3 de puntuación pero ahora lo voy a cambiar por un 6. Le he dedicado unas 6 horas al juego en este momento. Admito que mi me decepcione porque soy un Fan de Xcom-Enemy Unknow y esperaba más de ese tipo de juego de estrategia. El juego empieza a ponerse interesante una vez subes a tus personajes a nivel 4 ya que para entonces puedes tener mejores habilidades y armas. Creo que el juego es un buen comienzo para un próximo juego que vayan a hacer en el futuro pero realmente aun no está pulido del todo. Las graficas le doy un 7-10. El gameplay es bastante entretenido. A nivel de estrategia el juego se queda un poco corto, aunque algunas de las habilidades son interesantes y divertidas. El juego es una mezcla de Wanted, Red Faction y algo de Xcom. Ósea si nunca has jugado un juego de Xcom este sera un juego bueno, pero si esperas el gameplay y estrategias de los pasados Xcom quedaras decepcionado. En resumen un buen juego pero no excelente. Y básicamente el Juego es un Beta de lo que se espera se convierta la serie de Xcom. A veces lo viejo resulta ser mejor para los Gamers. En este caso se esperaba lo viejo y nos encontramos con nuevos elementos interesantes pero que aun no sobrepasan el éxito de los juegos anteriores. Expand
  67. Oct 9, 2013
    The Major issue most people have had with Xcom Declassified is that, in short, it was not Xcom. The developers attempted to create a different game set in a universe similar, but not the same as, the universe XCOM and its predecessor, UFO resided in. They then took this altered reality and said "we're going to try something different" and made The Bureau into a 3PS. In short, if you'reThe Major issue most people have had with Xcom Declassified is that, in short, it was not Xcom. The developers attempted to create a different game set in a universe similar, but not the same as, the universe XCOM and its predecessor, UFO resided in. They then took this altered reality and said "we're going to try something different" and made The Bureau into a 3PS. In short, if you're looking for an expansion to XCOM Enemy Unknown, you're barking up the wrong tree.

So, how does this 3PS differ from other 3PS?

Well first of all, you're not alone in your fight. While you are a badass, if you run in guns blazing alone, you will get yourself killed. For this reason, the game gives you a pair of sidekicks that accompany you on missions (the characters themselves are unimportant) these two can do any range of jobs from pissing off giant alien quadrupeds so you can shoot them in their rear, to deploying laser cannons to cover your advance or do massive amounts of damage in a single shot.

Secondly, the game penalises you heavily if you aren't in cover. IT utilises a similar cover system to XCOM EU with a half and full cover, with damage being reduced based on where you stand. Also like XCOM EU, if an enemy is in a position where your cover is useless against him, he flanks you, that is, he will do a lot more damage as you aren't expecting the hit. These combined features make The Bureau one of the most cover-intensive modern games, and makes a good position the difference between life and death.

A good position is not everything, however, as your opponent's AI, a stunningly complex and intelligent system on heavier difficulties, is always on the move, always changing position and trying to get into places from which the most damage can be done. For this reason, constant movement, literal island hopping is needed to ensure the safety of your team. There is never a single map where you can't gain an advantage as the fight progresses, and there is not a map where you can be safe in any one place for long.

To top off a gripping, battlefield motivated gameplay, the game contains a novel plotline that you can truly get into, and offers many interesting plot twists. This along with adequate voice acting and enjoyable graphics makes for an inspired, if not what you expected game.

Ratings:
    Gameplay: 10/10
    UI: 7/10
    AI: 9/10
    Story: 8/10
    Voice acting and graphics: 6/10
  68. Oct 10, 2013
    This game is underrated.

The characters are actually not bad, the story is good, the art desing and graphics are nice and the combat system is decent.
    The game is not a masterpiece and certainly its kind of a mass effect wannabe with the overall control and combat of the game... but that doesn't make it a bad game, it just lacks a bit of identity when it comes to that.
  69. Aug 28, 2013
    Its like a mass effect+xcom with a good story. I dont understand why review sites give 5-6 score to this game,
    Its a tactical shooter game with a lot of strategy, you must lead your teammates to battle, give orders to use their skills or make them move another location.
  70. Sep 9, 2013
    This game is terrible, it leaches off the name of XCOM, it could be named the bureau: aliens invade. But no, the devs wanted to make money off of xcom and their fans. It's a untactical, 3PS which is so dumb, even a six year old could complete it without breaking a sweat.
  71. Aug 27, 2013
    If the developers had not called XCOM then critics had been benevolent. Maybe they expected a common shooter like BF or COD, but They were surprised because it was a tactical action game. The AI is high quality, because the enemies react as they should, although sometimes surprising reactions from teammates.

I totally recommend it.
  72. Aug 27, 2013
    I love the game so far. It is a really well done TBS, I really enjoy this mix of tactical planning with TBS, I like the scanning tactical layer, agent management and side missions(sending agents is fun too) and squaddies AI is solid as well i play on Veteran. Setting and level detailing is awesome, abilities feel diverse and fun to use.
    On the negative, the narrative is patchy, the
    On the negative, the narrative is patchy, the beginning lacks suspense and magnitude of you know, alien invasion, aliens feel not so alien. Laser turrets on level one? yes I know it has a somewhat plausible explanation and what not, but the could at least show Carter's shock at seeing these techs? And even then, it looks really strange all these all style computers and laser turrets projecting from nothing.. Carter throwing alien blobes and no one asking questions? Wierd..

Overall, I'd give this game a solid 8 for uniqueness and gameplay.

To elaborate a bit more on my impression:

Things I Love:

1. The setting is just awesome. Authentic 60s feel, all the decorations and dialogues are just full of 60's feel
    2. The graphics are very nice to look at, like someone else have said, well done on those alien animations, every enemy is really different and unique. Some environments look fantastic. Artstyle is unique
    3. Music is awesome, really spooky and thought-provoking.
    4. Mostly decent voiceovers.
    5. Gameplay is a blast. tactical mode is awesome. How do you use your valuable time in battle focus? Give orders straight away or firstly analyze the environment and enemies via scanning? Mix of different abilities really open up strategies and tactics. The gameplay is really awesome.
    6. I love the narrative overall. The storyline is solid so far with some twists, all little voice recording and notes found on the mission add to the experience, as do investigations in between the missions.
    7. Agent disposal missions add some depth to the game.

Things I don't really like:

1. Lack of build up and anticipation opening missions are lackluster.
    2. Technologies are not properly explained.
    3. Bonuses from backpacks are not properly explained.
    4. Usage of new weapons in mission straight after picking them up.
    5. Lack of real desicions early and in mid game.
    6. Classes are not clearly defined: why do commandos give protective shields to others?
    7. Narrative is somewhat patchy: some illogical decisions and dialogues in the game.
    8. Outsiders feel not alien enough.
    9. Sound effects are disappointing.
    10. Level designs are too linear, ME3-esque.

Overall, the game is solid 8. However I gave it '10' here due to too negative unfair reviews here.
  73. Aug 29, 2013
    I have just finished the Game. There is no absolute need to replay it.
    I enjoyed it, not lets make some critics.
    I'm a great fan of many games that 'The Bureau' borrowed concepts: Mass Effect 3: Combat, Dialog Wheel, Base navigation, tactical pause to issue commands, ... Batman Arkham Museum/City: Tactical View with 'detective mode'. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood: Dispatch Missions.
    I have just finished the Game. There is no absolute need to replay it.
    I enjoyed it, not lets make some critics.

I'm a great fan of many games that 'The Bureau' borrowed concepts:
    Batman Arkham Museum/City: Tactical View with 'detective mode'.
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood: Dispatch Missions.

The Graphics Style is nice and detailed, very few flaws. Noir RetroFuturism. Maybe.
    Sound is very good, and so is Voice Acting (regardless of the script).

History: The drama is present, but not really there. The characters are easy to forget. Your agents are very common and uninteresting.
    Perhaps the most disturbing thing is that for the 90% of the Game, your dialogues and CHOICES are meaningless.

Dispatching Agents in missions only serves for leveling them. The rewards are not really useful.
    There are many unexplained abilities of the characters, technology, how do they magically appear?

I found very disappointing in the fact that in the epilogue you see how they are trying to Cover Up everything (like was so widely advertised). The cover-up effort is barely visible in game.

It is sincerely not possible to cover up something like that.
    You see the US map later in game full of RED (aliens, not commies).
    No connection with the US Central Command? Possible, but not realistic in that time, when a crippling attack of Soviet forces was feared.

Customization: Is there, but is not enough. And when later in game they took my Fedora Hat, I cursed. Details, details.

Difficulty: For a setting of 'Veteran' (easy, normal, veteran, commander), I found it very easy and with a lot of ammunition. For an X-COM title, it had to be Harder.

Likes:
    Besides some usability, the tactical commands, combos and combat in general is good.
    Some surprises on the history late game, a few decisions with some impact, well crafted scenarios.
    The main character is likeable.

Dissapointments:
    No real bridge (in history) with X-COM: Enemy Unknown. It was the perfect opportunity to explain how the Council was formed years ago.
    More drama expected.
    SideQuests with no real Impact or rewards, just more extra mini-history.
    No weapon customization.
    No connection with some of the secondary characters and my recruited agents.
    No randomness.
    Fedora Hat removed.

I do Recommend this game, you will have fun, but is only for one playthrough.
  74. Aug 22, 2013
    I was high on this game when it was in development, but upon playing it, I am left with a bad taste. The story is ok. A bit bland, but enjoyable and entertaining. The whole premise could have been turned into something huge, but is left lacking.
    The individuals themselves are somewhat bland and lifeless; again, more work could have been done.
    The controls are clunky, character movements
    The controls are clunky, character movements appear as though they are running in mud. Not much of a difference between normal run and sprint. Not easy to enter and exit cover, or control your team mates. It would have been easier had they simply copied the mass effect controls, instead of trying something else, which seems similar to mass effect, but comes off as still needing work.
    The weapons and powers and backpacks are ok. Backpacks are variations of what might be thought of as armor: they provide you with perks like more ammo, greater defense for enemy fire, and the such. The weapons are pretty vanilla: Handgun, assault rifle, sniper rife, shotgun, and they come in either human variety, or the laser version of the aliens. Again, could have been better and appears rushed.
    The powers on the other hand are probably the best feature of the game. Depending on the class, every soldier has different powers that you can build a strategy around. You can get your soldier class to taunt an enemy, leaving an another for you to lift off the ground and finish off with a critical hit from your sniper/recon man. Got a bunch of them charging you, get your engineer class to throw out a turret. The main character is a healer class, but also has powers he can use to distract and immobilize enemies.
    Overall, the game is enjoyable at best, but could have been made a lot better had the developer taken more time to refine it and add to the content. It feels very abrasive while playing.
  75. Aug 26, 2013
    I was apprehensive about buying XCOM, but I just had to in the end because well... it's XCOM.

The strongest aspect about the game is the combat itself even with the annoying controls (mouse keyboard). You quickly get past this (learn to adapt people). The downfall of the game itself is two things: 1. Running about the base is boring as hell. 2 .It's far too short. Considering

The downfall of the game itself is two things:

1. Running about the base is boring as hell.
    2 .It's far too short.

Considering you are in story dialogue and running around the base for a large part of time (about a 3rd) and combat the rest it took under 12 hours total to complete on veteran. This is reading every item, listening to every recording and doing all side missions. I actually thought, "nah, this can't be it..." and was really disappointed when it ended. I feel i HAVE to go back and complete on Commander difficulty to make this purchase worth it.

If this is another attempt at developers to cash in on DLC for more content at a later date I'll be quite pissed. It does feel like half a game.

Overall it kept me playing to the end in a short space of time and that says a lot, as I rarely complete games these days.

n.b. A note on character perma-death. It's a meaningless mechanic as I lost troops twice, but quickly died myself and just re spawned with them.
  76. Aug 26, 2013
    Had hoped this would be another great game in the Xcom-series, but alas... Poor steering and confusing combat... Story-telling ok and graphics are nice, but many questions to be answered and the intro to combat lags explanation... Can't bother completing the game because of the bad controls... Would recommend Mass Effect-series anytime...
  77. Aug 27, 2013
    Great game! XCOM meets Mass Effect, with an above average story. It isn´t XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but it´s also very good on its own. It´s fun, intelligent, albeit not so long, and not really hard.
  78. Aug 27, 2013
    A rating of 7 seems worthy of this edition to the Xcom series. For those who think it is low, it is just that for replay value.. complete the game on even the easiest mode and there is little need to play it again other than seeing other plot lines opened up by making different interaction choices. For those who think the rating is high- I am a Xcom fan. Many of the negative review's ofA rating of 7 seems worthy of this edition to the Xcom series. For those who think it is low, it is just that for replay value.. complete the game on even the easiest mode and there is little need to play it again other than seeing other plot lines opened up by making different interaction choices. For those who think the rating is high- I am a Xcom fan. Many of the negative review's of the game take into account aspects I do not feel the game creator's intended to approach in the first place. It is not a first person shooter, rather a tactical 3rd person that actually places a player in a good position of how it might feel to be a Xcom agent in the field (in a very much real time gameplay rather than turned based). Those who expected a first person shooter may be disappointed at not being able to run around shooting things and dodging incoming fire like a DOOM or Wolfenstein type game. Do remember, a enemy in cover in the turn based takes a 40% chance to hit... it seems fitting that in this game... taking the time to aim for a certain hit at an enemy behind cover is no easy feat... and may actually get you shot to pieces trying to do so. The storyline was appealing and fun, the choices given to advance certain plot lines entertaining.

The real value of the game may well be in it's not yet applied applications. The Xcom series now has a lovely new turned based system reborn with XCOM-Enemy Unknown, as well as a boots on the ground tactical combat with The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. The mother of all XCOM games may still await... a combination of both games.. allowing users in the XCOM universe to choose between Turn Based missions, or Real time play along with all the base management/research applications of Enemy Unknown. As a avid fan of the series.. one can only hope.
  79. Aug 29, 2013
    I feel the critics have been overly harsh with this game. I just finished it, having put approximately 20 hours into the game. Granted that was doing every side mission, and taking my time to listen to conversations. Its definitely not Enemy Unknown, but I enjoyed it non the less.

Definitely worth a buy though, as long as your expectations are right
  80. Aug 31, 2013
    I have been watching this game since late 2009 waiting for its release. I have no prior exposure to any of the xcoms or anything from the series except for what I have read on the lore. Upon finally playing it what I will say is; it could have been so much more than it was. IT was a serious letdown in terms of the storyline. I could live with gameplay inconstancies which it has its fairI have been watching this game since late 2009 waiting for its release. I have no prior exposure to any of the xcoms or anything from the series except for what I have read on the lore. Upon finally playing it what I will say is; it could have been so much more than it was. IT was a serious letdown in terms of the storyline. I could live with gameplay inconstancies which it has its fair share of. Such as voices not matching characters later on in the story or unexplained lapses in time. The storyline just doesn't deliver and that is why this game gets such a low rating from me. It felt as though had they brought in good writers it could have excelled even having very little to do with the other xcoms and original lore. Not everything is gameplay as seen by games like Telltales walking dead and The last of us, Both stellar games with central focus on story. Xcom at time also feels like it tries to steel from bioware's mass effect series, which is the right direction if you want to implement intuitive character dialog and progression, but its only a shadow of what it is in dragon age/mass effect. This game was an alright play and I completed it all the way through, meaning to me it wasn't horrible. However the whole time I couldn't wait to complete it to free up the SSD space to play the next game. Don't expect too highly with this game. Expand
  81. Sep 6, 2013
    Hey, guys, you say that the game is very different from the series XCOM, but I can tell you that we should not be so conservative in this world is changing, and if you leave the same series of games, it all quickly get bored. But what about the game, the game I very much liked the first held on the second, then the third and last. All the complexity of the game is revealed at the lastHey, guys, you say that the game is very different from the series XCOM, but I can tell you that we should not be so conservative in this world is changing, and if you leave the same series of games, it all quickly get bored. But what about the game, the game I very much liked the first held on the second, then the third and last. All the complexity of the game is revealed at the last level of complexity. This difficulty I have not seen in any game. In general, ten points an excellent game. Expand
  82. Oct 30, 2013
    Well the gameplay is amazing and it's the very main interest in that game. It's speed, hard and you pay your errors cash.

The main cons are the franchise and the story telling. This game is between two worlds: Action/aventure and RPG. I wish they had make a clearer choice. FOr now we feel stuck between fake freedom and a clumsy rithm. Second, the franchise. All the x-com fans must be pissed of. I understand that. Forget about the franchise and the game is even better.
  83. Dec 21, 2013
    Not a FPS as I know it, Not a XCOM as I know it, strange, completed once, feeling tricked. Glad that I got it discounted. Not my favorite game, bit dissapointed. Love first XCOM and OK with Firaxis's XCOM.
  84. Dec 28, 2013
    Fantastic game. Just finished it.
    This is *NOT* a strategy game, but a spin-off loosely based on the classic X-Com series.
    Most close definition would be a squad-based shooter.

This game was tremendous fun to play. The graphics are great. The gameplay was great. I loved the atmosphere, as well as the story.
    This game is highly underrated. Don't miss this one!
  85. Jul 19, 2014
    Major texture bugs EVERYWHERE! I was standing on clear ground, letting me see through the entire world, the entire world is flashing wildly with weird static effects on all the walls, and many of the textures stretched randomly through the world! Completely unplayable!

Even if you somehow manage to make the game playable, the guns feel like BB-guns and your AI team-mates are all idiots who never shutup.

0/10 DO NOT BUY.
  86. Sep 10, 2013
    I wanted to give this 4, but not a "red" review. 4 should be amber...but 4 is all it's worth really.
    Ok the game is alright. The first couple of hours it seems like their is more depth, but that peters out pretty quickly to "not a lot". Gameplay is ok when you are on foot, and shallow when tactical (even more shallow than Firaxes..which itself was a helluva lot more shallow than the original games). So yes like all games made now, it's dumbed down for idiots. But in an idiot modd I sort of enjoyed it...just
  87. Jun 30, 2014
    This game is under rated. I have played for about 5 hours now and the combat is a blast, story seems interesting, good graphics, and good character development. IMO the combat is better than turn based. You can directly instruct your men as to what weapon to use and what target to hit, yet they will act on their own, somewhat effectively, in between commands. As your commands are beingThis game is under rated. I have played for about 5 hours now and the combat is a blast, story seems interesting, good graphics, and good character development. IMO the combat is better than turn based. You can directly instruct your men as to what weapon to use and what target to hit, yet they will act on their own, somewhat effectively, in between commands. As your commands are being followed your player acts as a third person shooter with access to both conventional, alien weapons and some cool alien powers - a total alien annihilator, As for the to cool for anything 'cept XCOM crowd, get over yourself - TBXCOMD is as good a game, and better in aspects, vs. XCOM, If you like TPS and Turn Based (less focused Turn based) with an old time si-fi twist, you'll like the game-it's a lot of fun. Expand
  88. Sep 7, 2013
    I admit, I was expecting a first person version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, one of the best games I've ever played. This game was not that. At first, I almost stopped playing because this game felt way more first person shooter than tactical. It could be because the battle never slows down enough for you to think out your decisions, or because the beginning battles are in such smallI admit, I was expecting a first person version of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, one of the best games I've ever played. This game was not that. At first, I almost stopped playing because this game felt way more first person shooter than tactical. It could be because the battle never slows down enough for you to think out your decisions, or because the beginning battles are in such small rooms/areas, or because the battles barely lasted long enough to actually flank anybody, or because if you actually did try to flank somebody, you'd die on your way there. Additionally, none of the powers you start with are very tactical at all. At any rate, it didn't feel like I had much control over the battlefield. However, the story, characters, graphics, and voice acting were good enough to keep me trudging through. Eventually, though, the powers started getting better, the battles started getting larger scale, and it started to feel like what I ordered my team to do mattered a *little* more. Toward the end, you can still win a battle without leaving your starting spot, but at least it feels a little more like Mass Effect 1, now. And I'm enjoying myself.

I think the reason this game is getting such bad reviews is because of 1) the expectation of it to be similar to XCOM: Enemy Unknown and 2) for whatever reason, the beginning is pretty weak. But it does get better and the graphics, story, acting, etc. are great. I'd classify it as a slightly weaker copy of Mass Effect 1.

I also think the one thing they could have done to improve this game *tremendously* would be to actually pause the battle when you bring up your command screen, rather than just slowing it down. Just slowing it down makes things rushed and chaotic. You care less about making the "right" decisions and tend to just spray and pray, instead. You also have absolutely no time to "scan" the battlefield as you were meant to (it's a power) because if you actually spent time doing that, it would remove the small window of time you have to flank an enemy before they die.
  89. May 25, 2014
    The Bureau is a prime example of how complaining fanboys can ruin a game. The original FPS version of this game looked like it would be filled with story and immersion while taking a lighter take on the strategy. Everyone whined about it and they changed it to be a tactical TPS instead. The story itself had all the makings of being good, but the terrible animations and voice acting killedThe Bureau is a prime example of how complaining fanboys can ruin a game. The original FPS version of this game looked like it would be filled with story and immersion while taking a lighter take on the strategy. Everyone whined about it and they changed it to be a tactical TPS instead. The story itself had all the makings of being good, but the terrible animations and voice acting killed any opportunity for the player to get involved with it. Being a TPS, it was very difficult to get immersed in the world because i never really felt like I was there. The tactics themselves are crap. Even on the hardest difficulty, there is absolutely no reason for you to try to flank enemies because of how awful the AI is. If you try to move you squad around, they'll just jump out of cover and immediately get downed. So you're stuck with straight firefights and skill spam. There is little depth in your character. The high point of Enemy Unknown was that you could completely customize every aspect of your character. In The Bureau, you can change their cosmetic appearance, but the weapons and backpacks are all unlocked at set times throughout the story and the later you acquire them, the better the gun is. There is nothing interesting about it. The skill trees are boring, you'll either have 1 or 2 options each time you level. The game is just very shallow. You can see that there are good ideas, But due to public outcry against a game they've never played, the developers had to constantly change their vision of the game until it has become the unfinished, sloppy mess that it is today. It's still an enjoyable game at times. If you're a fan of tactical shooters, it's well worth a single playthrough. Just don't expect to be wowed. Expand
  90. Aug 26, 2013
    I don't understand the bad reviews this game has got, it's excellent. There might be few techncial glitches but the story and gameplay is pure solid gold! If you're into games like Mass Effect this one is just for you, It's tactical 3rd person shooter with a lot of story elements. Some people might play it without doing additional investigation quests and without reading notes and audioI don't understand the bad reviews this game has got, it's excellent. There might be few techncial glitches but the story and gameplay is pure solid gold! If you're into games like Mass Effect this one is just for you, It's tactical 3rd person shooter with a lot of story elements. Some people might play it without doing additional investigation quests and without reading notes and audio logs, then I understand why they don't like this. This is for patient players who like to read a good story while playing. Recommended! Expand
  91. Aug 24, 2013
    It's a shame this game was published by 2K Games. I have to take points off for this simply because they have decided to price gouge the Australian market yet again, pricing the game way above the worth of the title.

The game itself feels uninspired with so many other squad based 3rd person shooters on the market already, I was hoping that they would create something a little more unique than they did with this one. It just doesn't come across as a true X-COM title.. sure, it has that theme.. but so do other titles that have no affiliation with the X-COM series.

I'm not a fanboi of the series.. I just would have preferred it to be more in-line with what X-COM has been about for generations. This would have been a great mod of the latest X-COM game.. or some indie spin-off.. but I can't endorse something like that this that comes off as feeling like a money grab and attention seeking from those who prefer 3rd person shooters rather than the core X-COM franchise.
  92. Aug 26, 2013
    This game isn't a carbon copy of X-COM as most seemed to be expecting, but it does have elements of X-COM. This game is enjoyable, although a little frustrating at times... The squad AI is atrocious, and the fact that you have to babysit them every step of the way takes away from the overall feel of the game. With that being said, there's an immense amount of satisfaction when youThis game isn't a carbon copy of X-COM as most seemed to be expecting, but it does have elements of X-COM. This game is enjoyable, although a little frustrating at times... The squad AI is atrocious, and the fact that you have to babysit them every step of the way takes away from the overall feel of the game. With that being said, there's an immense amount of satisfaction when you complete a mission. I still enjoy the game, even with its short-comings. Expand
  93. Jan 25, 2014
    A lot of people seem to think this is an attempt to remake X-Com from a third-person viewpoint. It's not, and if you come in thinking that it is, you will be sorely disappointed. Instead, this is an entirely different game, taking place in the X-Com Universe.

The game clearly took inspiration from Mass Effect - the fighting, the dialog choices, even many of the abilities are set up exactly the same. However, it's missing the RPG-elements and side-quests that made Mass Effect so great. It seems like a game made by Mass Effect fans, who didn't quite 'get' what made the game so great. Thus, if you haven't played Mass Effect before, you should be playing that instead: you'll have basically the same experience but 100x better. And if you have played it, you'll probably be disappointed by this poor clone.
  94. Sep 1, 2013
    I really did enjoy my time playing this game, but it did have its flaws which made this game not as good as it could have been. I'm alright on how the story went out since it was interesting and there are people that are complaining about it being confusing like are you suppose to understand everything early in the game? I don't think so. I don't mind that this is a 3rd person shooterI really did enjoy my time playing this game, but it did have its flaws which made this game not as good as it could have been. I'm alright on how the story went out since it was interesting and there are people that are complaining about it being confusing like are you suppose to understand everything early in the game? I don't think so. I don't mind that this is a 3rd person shooter since it had something unique to it which was the commands.

The score I'm giving it is a 7.5 because there isn't really a perm death to squad-mates with these checkpoints. Also the customization is weak (My opinion). The squad would still get shot down when in cover mostly.
  95. Sep 12, 2013
    It is really good tpp game. For every Xcom fans. Gameplay is enjoyable. Plot quite surprising at the end. Mix of 60 's and traditional Xcom is eatable. If You had good time with ME (especially 2 and 3) You will like this game also. It is not so long though, but worth of playing.
  96. Oct 2, 2013
    Great game, great story (with a twist). Wish there was more to the side missions where you send some agents to do them besides getting a (mostly) useless backpack (plenty of those in the game). I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. I wish there was more variety in weapons and upgrades and the fact your agents can only get up to lv5.
  97. Aug 27, 2013
    Having to regroup after the rather surprising XCOM Enemy Unknown is a blessing in disguise and a touch of poison both at the same time. I gather from the behind-the-scenes that they're going for the third iteration of the Bureau's gameplay when the surprise hit...well, hit which sounds rather believable when you watch the video. I just can't grasp the ignorance that they totally copy MassHaving to regroup after the rather surprising XCOM Enemy Unknown is a blessing in disguise and a touch of poison both at the same time. I gather from the behind-the-scenes that they're going for the third iteration of the Bureau's gameplay when the surprise hit...well, hit which sounds rather believable when you watch the video. I just can't grasp the ignorance that they totally copy Mass Effect 3's gameplay and would not admit it....granted that it is not as smooth as and not as polished. It is not fair to compare the two games but the developer puts themselves in this position and the success of the turn based strategy rebirth certainly affects them the most, positively and negatively. The traces of Enemy Unknown can be seen throughout the game, as a true homage and also straight copycat. This review is written as I played only a few hours of the game and does not represents my final verdict of the Bureau. That is still to come but I will give my score nonetheless. Expand
  98. Jan 29, 2014
    Critics are wrong. It has the most expensive polygons i've ever seen. It is wonderfully voiced. It's gorgeously tactical yet perfectly first ''persony''. Theres even a perk/upgrade system not unlike Mass Effects.

If i made this game i'd have expected better reviews. I suspect the people reviewing this game were chosen by the editors for their expertise in reviewing tactical games.

If i made this game i'd have expected better reviews.

I suspect the people reviewing this game were chosen by the editors for their expertise in reviewing tactical games. This game is half tactical ergo the half-hearted reviews.

This game failed to disappoint me and im saddened it took me so long to play it because of my respect for the average metacritic review score. Lesson learned
  99. Jun 29, 2014
    Great game and unique gameplay. Would score much higher except I encountered the common 'war factory door' bug in Mission 4 'Not of this Earth' and was unable to progress further. No patch for this to date. Also squad members frustratingly only follow orders briefly before wandering off to do their own thing. Often walking right out into the open to get gunned down. Stupid. ResolveGreat game and unique gameplay. Would score much higher except I encountered the common 'war factory door' bug in Mission 4 'Not of this Earth' and was unable to progress further. No patch for this to date. Also squad members frustratingly only follow orders briefly before wandering off to do their own thing. Often walking right out into the open to get gunned down. Stupid. Resolve these 2 issues and the game would be significantly better. Expand
  100. Aug 24, 2013
    This game is very decent. People complain and ALWAYS want to compare to ME. When this game is its own. This game is no different than Xcom: EU, other than you move about "realtime", you aim-n-shoot "real-time", and the obvious its in 3d person. You unlock parts of the base and new technology (same as before). The cover system is there (full, lite), give your agents orders to attack,This game is very decent. People complain and ALWAYS want to compare to ME. When this game is its own. This game is no different than Xcom: EU, other than you move about "realtime", you aim-n-shoot "real-time", and the obvious its in 3d person. You unlock parts of the base and new technology (same as before). The cover system is there (full, lite), give your agents orders to attack, depending on the enemies position and type of cover affects damage (same as before), flanking, expose, etc..

You build your team skills by picking paths of perks (same as before)....I swear I don't see how some are complaining, if you like waiting 4 turns before your turn come around to shoot then turn base is for you and maybe you might be disappointed. But if you like the best of both worlds Xcom has to offer, tactical strategy and realtime combat, then get this game, I like this game

1. Nov 6, 2013
    For all that The Bureau get’s wrong, it is at least a passable tactical shooter with a novel, well-realised setting. If you love the golden age of science-fiction, there’s something here for you. Just don’t expect it to ever get truly interesting, because XCOM Declassified never captures what XCOM is all about.
  2. Oct 5, 2013
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified does not deliver. It is not bad, but rather depressingly average. [Sept 2013]
  3. Sep 25, 2013
    A competent tactical shooter that doesn't push any boundaries and is only peripherally related to XCOM. [Oct 2013, p.96]