The Cat Lady PC

8.8

1. Apr 25, 2017
    It was good, easily an 8, though most people are scared of not giving it a 10 in case it would be considered uncool. The main problems were the graphics and gameplay/difficulty's simplicity; graphics were extremely basic, including the very simplistic animations, while the gameplay was too simple and easy; it was hard enough to be considered a game but it was relatively easy andIt was good, easily an 8, though most people are scared of not giving it a 10 in case it would be considered uncool. The main problems were the graphics and gameplay/difficulty's simplicity; graphics were extremely basic, including the very simplistic animations, while the gameplay was too simple and easy; it was hard enough to be considered a game but it was relatively easy and simplistic.

However, the game in overall was fantastic, or at least much better than 95% of what's out there. The atmosphere of horror it tried to produce was fantastically done, the characters too real, and the story almost perfect (it did not make sense in some cases but that can be forgiven since it was the point that it was kinda psychotic to begin with).

All in all, all adventure fans will love it, but be warned it's scary.
  2. Feb 12, 2017
    Best game if you want to know, how people with depress and anxiety disorder feel. Atmospheric, very good soundtrack, easy to play, touching story. I really enjoyed it. As well as the music.
  3. Jan 18, 2017
    Best horror adventure game. Story got me really in my heart. Nice and cold game-play, very fluent story-line and in full consistency puzzles. I can't see any mistakes about The Cat Lady.
  4. Oct 25, 2016
    I didn't feel very attracted at first, but in the long run the story proved to be compelling. As a puzzle game it is not very hard. I wish the main character graphics were more detailed.
  5. Apr 11, 2016
    The Cat Lady is a game that probably requires a warning sign: don't play when severely depressed. This is a game with sad story but it ends on a positive note(at least it did with me). Just take the protagonist. When you start the game she has just failed to commit suicide and is in hospital. But perhaps failed is not the right word, perhaps she actually succeeded...

The game has a dark

The game has a dark theme. This is the tale of someone who believes her life to be a failure and decided to end it. The overall colors are black, grey or a sharply contrasting white. What other colors there are are subdued. Except for red.You know blood red. The story is told with colors and the music supports the overall mood. It's a dark theme certainly, but often very beautiful done. Not realistic mind you, but made to visualize the emotion that the protagonist undergoes and thus communicating this to you as the player.

As a game it is probably not a very challenging for experienced players. I can't tell as a seldom play such games. My main reason to play it was because it was cheap on steam and the art intrigued me. That the story was actually captivating was a bonus.

I think that you choose this game for the story and art more than for the challenge it offers as a game.. Perhaps it would be better to say that this is a guided story.Games that matter because of the story and not so much because of the gameplay.
    Some like that, others don't care for it.
  6. Apr 1, 2016
    How would you make people think of what suicide is like? How would you make them worried for the real price of lives? How to show them what a desperate situation can happen to anyone of us? Indeed, by touching upon these topics in something that cam disturb one's mind, then, "mass mind". The Cat Lady is not a regular horror game. It doesn't make you frightened by only jumpscares. It makesHow would you make people think of what suicide is like? How would you make them worried for the real price of lives? How to show them what a desperate situation can happen to anyone of us? Indeed, by touching upon these topics in something that cam disturb one's mind, then, "mass mind". The Cat Lady is not a regular horror game. It doesn't make you frightened by only jumpscares. It makes you think of the things you prefer to avoid in real life. Gameplay mostly consists of collecting stuff, solving puzzles, nevertheless, it still gives you intense shivers. If you ask me what The Cat Lady is, I say it is a breathtaking and unique story of a person who has such a meaningless life. Expand
  7. Mar 8, 2016
    I really, really love this game. I've played it twice now - the ending is slightly different each time, you see.

To (briefly) cover the plot, the game focuses on Susan Ashworth, a depressed middle-aged woman who decides to take her own life one night. I won't spoil any more, you'll have to play yourself! Instead of singing the game constant praises, I'll list the pros and cons below.

* Very unusual protagonist. You won't necessarily agree with everything she says, but hey - you can see what the world is like from someone with a mental health issue.
    * Memorable characters. I liked Mitzi in particular.
    * Great storyline.
    * Choice. Or, at leat, the illusion of it.
    * Puzzles.
    Cons (they're all really small)
    * The dialogue is sometimes very cringey, not helped by the voice actors really overdoing it at times.
    * The voices were poorly recorded in some cases. Mitzi in particular sounded rather distorted.
    * Visuals don't always match the sound exactly.
    * Animations are a little jagged around the edges.

But hey. It's an indie game - and a fantastic one, at that.
  8. Jan 5, 2016
    Possibly the greatest adventure game I've ever played. The characterization, the writing, the atmosphere, the music, all work together to create a grueling experience. So depressing I'd wish it on my best friend and worst enemy alike. If you're in the marked for a game delving into raw, unforgiving humanity then get this game.
  9. Jan 5, 2016
    WOW! What an amazing game. I instantly fell in love with it!
    The overall atmosphere, the look and the narrative structure of "The Cat Lady" reminded me strongly of "Frank Miller's Sin City" and the movies of Quentin Tarantino of whom I am a great fan. If you're into really dark, depressive, suicidal and ultra violent stuff then this game is most definitely one for you to enjoy.
  10. Oct 27, 2015
    The Cat Lady is a bittersweet story. It starts with suicide, anger, horror, pain, violence and despair. But it is all worth. You begin with no empathy for this sad bitter woman with strange habits. She looks like a coward who tried to kill herself, a person with no value. But then, just like it happens with cat people, you began to understand her, to identify with her, and by the end, youThe Cat Lady is a bittersweet story. It starts with suicide, anger, horror, pain, violence and despair. But it is all worth. You begin with no empathy for this sad bitter woman with strange habits. She looks like a coward who tried to kill herself, a person with no value. But then, just like it happens with cat people, you began to understand her, to identify with her, and by the end, you even love her. This love is so pure that she becomes a beautiful person; even so she is still the same person. It is a game about loving strange people, which is the same as saying that it is a game about loving people, period. Expand
  11. Oct 3, 2015
    Great game ! It takes you by surprise, at first things are confusing and you might wonder what the hell is happening. But as you progress, you find yourself deeply immersed in a powerful tale that deals with mature themes rarely seen in video games. It is moving, dark, adult it takes you places no other video game has ever tried to take you. It is a very very memorable game despite -orGreat game ! It takes you by surprise, at first things are confusing and you might wonder what the hell is happening. But as you progress, you find yourself deeply immersed in a powerful tale that deals with mature themes rarely seen in video games. It is moving, dark, adult it takes you places no other video game has ever tried to take you. It is a very very memorable game despite -or rather because of- the low budget graphics that end up giving it a strong visual identity. Definitely not for children, though. Do not ever put this game in a child's hands... Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2015
    I've played a few or several point and click adventure games. Most of them were boring. This game is the best of that kind I've played so far. I enjoy it a lot. I am curious what would happen, so I kept playing for more. I also enjoy its story, puzzles, characters, and arts. I made many screenshots there and bought its foil trading cards. Lol.
  13. Jan 15, 2015
    A solid 7 for an enjoyable game, with flaws. If you are good with side scrolling games, basic graphics, then I would say give this a look. Music is nice, some of the backgrounds are really nice, it's easy enough and a nice diversion. Unfortunately, the UI can be clunky at times, and the story, a mix between serious adult themes and supernatural, tries to straddle both and not entirelyA solid 7 for an enjoyable game, with flaws. If you are good with side scrolling games, basic graphics, then I would say give this a look. Music is nice, some of the backgrounds are really nice, it's easy enough and a nice diversion. Unfortunately, the UI can be clunky at times, and the story, a mix between serious adult themes and supernatural, tries to straddle both and not entirely successfully. To keep the story moving along and within the environment given, the story takes shortcuts or leaves subplots dangling. The story has some nice elements to it to stay interesting. All in all, I would say anyone who takes their gaming more seriously and likes something different, add this to your collection. Expand
  14. Nov 16, 2014
    this game is only for those that get stoked by lonely ladys tale
    if u care for her lonely life and symphasize her situation, u will forget poor graphic and less impresssing gameplay mechanics. i dig into good story telling and appreciate game that put me in another persons shoes
    but i didnt think this game had strong quality in terms of either narratives or characters
    sub par game
  15. Oct 15, 2014
    played around a bit, felt like I was getting taken for an expressionistic ride, with annoying basic point and click "puzzles". no confidence in it being either a decent game or a decent story. or at least not decent enough to justify the endless pacing back and forth.
  16. Oct 9, 2014
    Not flawless but amazing.
    When I first started, I was really skeptical but the game turned my worries around so quickly. The atmosphere, the tone and the writing is very good. It is not flawless but I give it a 10 anyway because I enjoyed it thoroughly!
  17. Sep 27, 2014
    The Cat Lady is a tedious and plodding animated cartoon pretending to be a video game. Production values are low, with chunky side scrolling and a plot progression that runs on rails. Discovering that the spacebar skips dialog was enough to get me through the first chapter, but not enough for the second.
  18. Sep 21, 2014
    What a great game! One of the best I've played in recent years.

Pros: - Fantastic story. Creepy, interesting, engaging. Dripping with atmosphere. - Wonderful voice acting. Every single character does an excellent and convincing job. - Despite the low resolution, visually striking. - Very original altogether. I haven't played anything really like it. Cons: - Controls are simple,
    What a great game! One of the best I've played in recent years.

Pros:
    - Fantastic story. Creepy, interesting, engaging. Dripping with atmosphere.
    - Despite the low resolution, visually striking.
    - Very original altogether. I haven't played anything really like it.

Cons:
    - Controls are simple, yet still unintuitive and inconvenient. Would have been better to bind more keys for specific action (e.g. browse inventory using different keys than the ones used for walking).
    - Resolution is too low for this day and age
    - Some puzzles are too difficult or don't make much sense. I had to check a walkthrough several times.
    - Save game system is limited to 50 saves. There are workarounds to save more, but you only learn that you need to use those workarounds after discovering that many of your latest saves are not there.

Overall: The pros far outweigh the cons. This game is a must!
  19. Aug 29, 2014
    The Cat Lady is one of the more twisted and extraordinary adventure games I got the chance to play.
    In short, it's great and worth playing, with only minor flaws, mainly for adventure lovers!
    The game deals with a very mature matters, and has mature content, sometimes even disturbing. Summary: +Bizzare, interesting, deep story about human feelings and depression, with great

Summary:
    +Bizzare, interesting, deep story about human feelings and depression, with great conclusion and a message
    +Simple yet great atmosphere, great psychological horror environment
    +Good graphics and soundtrack
    +Good gameplay mechanics, no need to pixel-hunt that missing object
    +Interesting characters
    +Nice puzzles
    +More than one ending

-You may not get the entire story on the first time
    -Very linear although it seems like it isn't
    -Mediocre voice acting at times
    -Some minor graphical glitches (very few)
    -50 saves limitation, no option to delete saved game in-game
  20. Aug 4, 2014
    Picked up this game in a bundle. I haven't played many games in this genre or style, but I was thoroughly entertained and enjoyed this game from beginning to end. The dark feelings and dark art style fit together very well to put you in the characters state of mind.

Not a bad game for achievement hunters either. Fairly simple to achieve 100% requires a few saves between choices or a few play throughs.
  21. Jul 31, 2014
    If Lovecraft would able to make a game, it would be something like this I think. The art style, story, music, game play, everything about this game is weird. But after a very long time I found myself caring about a game. The story of the game and main character makes you want to know more and you just keep playing. This game made me want to play it until the end, and get me somewhat angryIf Lovecraft would able to make a game, it would be something like this I think. The art style, story, music, game play, everything about this game is weird. But after a very long time I found myself caring about a game. The story of the game and main character makes you want to know more and you just keep playing. This game made me want to play it until the end, and get me somewhat angry everything that get in the way and prevent me to continue the story. I can clearly say that this game is not for everyone. Especially if you're not a patient person, or you don't like adventure games at all. But you must play this game if you were searching for a good horror/thriller adventure game for a long time. I think this was the only good horror/thriller adventure game that I played after the White Chamber or the Mirror Lied. Expand
  22. Jun 24, 2014
    After playing this, I felt compelled to write a review. I started off not enjoying myself, at all. It felt trite and cliche at first I had no idea why people found themselves enjoying the game so much. But as I progressed on, I discovered some interesting personalities. Albeit, they come a bit far and wide. But when they do, I found them damn memorable.

I found the protagonist boring,

I found the protagonist boring, until a support character synergistically made the two of them engaging- to a point where it almost took me off guard. The game blends reality with fantasy in a way I enjoyed. I can see how others might disagree.

The bad: I didn't find myself enjoying the characters and story for quite a while. Graphics are EXTREMELY low budget. The theme of the settings are great, but the fluidity of character movement is clunky and awkward. UI is absolutely horrible. I found myself frustrated with puzzles simply because interactions with the environment was unjustifiably lengthy. I HAVE the key. Why on earth do you need me to stand in front of the door, press down, scroll through my items, press enter on the item, and pick the "use" option to open a damn door.

I could game very easily give this game a low score for its glaring inadequacies, but it simply gets too many congeniality points. I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good story.
  23. Jun 9, 2014
    This is a fun little game. I enjoyed the art style and the unconventional layout of the world. It reminds of a graphic novel. Black and white with just an occasional splash of colour for emphasis. The puzzles are not too hard but not too simple either, mostly just a way to get to the next bit of the story. The voice acting is good, though the lead actress sometimes has a slightly annoyingThis is a fun little game. I enjoyed the art style and the unconventional layout of the world. It reminds of a graphic novel. Black and white with just an occasional splash of colour for emphasis. The puzzles are not too hard but not too simple either, mostly just a way to get to the next bit of the story. The voice acting is good, though the lead actress sometimes has a slightly annoying way to phrase statements as a question. The storyline is original and entertaining with the occasional scare, it keeps you interested and wanting to see what happens next. The story is more important than the puzzles or the environment and the artwork and style evoke the mood of the game well. The music score is excellent.

On finishing the game you get an overall feeling of closure and the final message is something that will stay with you.

Not a game that has a lot of replay value I think but definitely not something you will regret playing.
  24. Jun 5, 2014
    Brilliant atmosphere, not undermined but rather boosted by the strange graphical taste. I waited a long time for this, 10 dollars was a little too much and it was never on sale, instead I ended up getting it with a bundle.
  25. May 14, 2014
    Ayn Rand meets The Goonies. This isn't a game but an excuse for a immature person to ramble on about his childish and annoying philosophy of life. It's not horror, merely gross. It's not meaningful, merely fatuous. Vengeance is what makes life worth living--oh boy is that original. It has all the emotional impact of a wet cigar. If you love long tedious conversations by an excited 17 yearAyn Rand meets The Goonies. This isn't a game but an excuse for a immature person to ramble on about his childish and annoying philosophy of life. It's not horror, merely gross. It's not meaningful, merely fatuous. Vengeance is what makes life worth living--oh boy is that original. It has all the emotional impact of a wet cigar. If you love long tedious conversations by an excited 17 year old who has taken Philosophy 101 for the first time in his life this game is for you. Otherwise, pass it. Expand
  26. Apr 15, 2014
    Amazing game, and incredible story. This game runs about 8 hours on average, the puzzles and solutions to problems are MUCH easier to figure out than most point & click games, which makes for some smooth sailing so you can progress the story consistently. The story is one of the best I've seen in a game for a LONG time, and I play hundreds of games. If Harvester Games had a large budget,Amazing game, and incredible story. This game runs about 8 hours on average, the puzzles and solutions to problems are MUCH easier to figure out than most point & click games, which makes for some smooth sailing so you can progress the story consistently. The story is one of the best I've seen in a game for a LONG time, and I play hundreds of games. If Harvester Games had a large budget, this game would've definitely been GOTY material. But instead it's underestimated and overlooked by other popular games. If you want a good scare-not a cheap jumpscare-but a scare that messes with your mind for days on end, then get The Cat Lady. The atmosphere is also a very strong point, it reminds me of Scratches. It's perfect for setting the mood of a very dark, and depressing game. Your actions and choices matter a good amount, and the achievements on Steam are fun to get. Very awesome game, you need to get used to the graphics/animations and gameplay (there isn't much gameplay), but if you can do that, you'll experience one of the best horror stories out there. Expand
  27. Apr 13, 2014
    I cant say anything bad than just it was short and I wish there was more. I loved this game so much, totally recommend this for people who has been through suicide thoughts or anything like this, This game is perfect to me!
  28. Apr 8, 2014
    A piece of art really! Great story line, deep characters, artistic value. I am very happy I have experienced this game. The music was also very good. There we some voice problems but I really didnt care because this game is unique!
  29. Mar 28, 2014
    This game is the best game I have ever played. It is deep, and it is just. Oh my god. The music is fitting for the game. The game isn't quite colorful, but it fits perfectly for the entire play through.
  30. Mar 5, 2014
    It is difficult to explain just how bad this game truly is. For starters, there is no apparent way to change the resolution from full-screen 800x600 - one of my monitors will refuses to display this resolution properly, so this game fails to run on 50% of the computers I've tested it on. The volume of the sound/voice/music can't be adjusted, so it's not a game that is friendly toIt is difficult to explain just how bad this game truly is. For starters, there is no apparent way to change the resolution from full-screen 800x600 - one of my monitors will refuses to display this resolution properly, so this game fails to run on 50% of the computers I've tested it on. The volume of the sound/voice/music can't be adjusted, so it's not a game that is friendly to headphone-wearing gamers. The controls can't be remapped and don't include gamepad support. Basic actions, like using a key on a door, are cumbersome because there is no mouse support. The graphics are beyond basic - the avatar is so poorly animated that she kind of shimmers and shakes when she moves, inducing eye fatigue and headache after just a few minutes - yet the game takes forever to start up. Since there isn't any menu or anything there doesn't even seem to be any proper way to exit the game. I couldn't even alt+f4 to exit, I had to resort to alt-tabbing out and using the task manager. I honestly have not a single good thing to say about the game. Definitely skip it. Expand
  31. Jan 30, 2014
    The grim style, setting, story... this game gets it all right. Light on adventure but thought provoking. The only negative is that sometimes it has trouble starting up and alt+tab out of the game will result in poor resolution
  32. Jan 26, 2014
    I think I've never been moved so much by a game. Heavy topic about loneliness, trust issues and depression with just outstanding writing. Really gave me something to think.

The great soundtrack underlines the emotional impact of the whole experience. There are some nice puzzles, though the controls are a little tedious and it's a little too weird and hard to get into at the start... but when the story gains momentum it won't let you go.
  33. Dec 29, 2013
    The Cat Lady is an adventure game that tells the story of a middle aged woman who is the middle of a depressive episode. This game will contain a ton of dialogue and you'll need to pay attention to be able to understand what's going on. Although, even if you do pay attention, the story does get a but difficult to understand in some place. Nevertheless, i was genuinely interested in whatThe Cat Lady is an adventure game that tells the story of a middle aged woman who is the middle of a depressive episode. This game will contain a ton of dialogue and you'll need to pay attention to be able to understand what's going on. Although, even if you do pay attention, the story does get a but difficult to understand in some place. Nevertheless, i was genuinely interested in what was going to happen to my character. The gameplay is more on the simple end for adventure games. One of the biggest problem was the very poor sound quality and the lack of optimization for the scenes with fog.The inclusion of actual voice actors is a great appeal as most indie adventure games don't do that. Also, I would have preferred if the story centered on someone who has chronic depression (Suffers it their entire life no matter what) instead of someone who is simply suffering a depressive episodes as i think this would have provided many more options and unique elements that could have been introduced in the story. Overall, Cat Lady is a great attempt at an adventure game but it just needed a slightly more coherent storyline to make the game great. Expand
  34. Nov 16, 2013
    Note: My real vote should be 8.7/10 but Metacritic doesn't permit that, so I give a "9".

The Cat Lady is an opaque and rough diamond that shines with sick colors. You'll love the introspection and the mature story. Easily one of the best adventure games of the last years. VIRTUALINN.IT
  35. Nov 15, 2013
    An absolute joy to play.
    Touching on some profoundly serious topics in a way that only games as an art form can.
    Its only weaknesses are brief moments of weak voice acting, however where the delivery may lack the content is still stellar. A vision of dark brilliance, a strong synthesis of an urban gothic setting and a magical realism plot that captivates the player. If you do not
    An absolute joy to play.
    A vision of dark brilliance, a strong synthesis of an urban gothic setting and a magical realism plot that captivates the player. If you do not become emotionally attached to these characters, if the visceral 'meat-and-bone' horror leaves you untouched and the side stories of individual suffering loss and persistence do not stir anything within you -Then you have lost your taste for art and I can propose no cure. This is without a doubt a important work which I can only encourage you see through to the end.
  36. Nov 7, 2013
    One of the best, highly artistic and quality games i have ever played in my 20+ years of console and pc gaming, though it definitely requires mature thinking and emotional involvement from the player to fully appreciate it. All i can say for this game without giving away spoilers is that it blends horror with drama perfectly into the casual, old-school adventure genre. Best indie game toOne of the best, highly artistic and quality games i have ever played in my 20+ years of console and pc gaming, though it definitely requires mature thinking and emotional involvement from the player to fully appreciate it. All i can say for this game without giving away spoilers is that it blends horror with drama perfectly into the casual, old-school adventure genre. Best indie game to date, by far Expand
  37. Oct 31, 2013
    I was initially disappointed with this until I realized it's more of an interactive fiction piece than a point-and-click adventure. The puzzles, such as they are, are pretty much linear, "use A on B", and are either damn obvious or so pointlessly obscure that it's best to look them up on a walkthrough and avoid repeating wads of dialogue. There don't seem to be any user-choices affectingI was initially disappointed with this until I realized it's more of an interactive fiction piece than a point-and-click adventure. The puzzles, such as they are, are pretty much linear, "use A on B", and are either damn obvious or so pointlessly obscure that it's best to look them up on a walkthrough and avoid repeating wads of dialogue. There don't seem to be any user-choices affecting the route of the story (so far, I'm probbaly about 1/2 way through) The dialogue is impossible to skip, and the UI is almost insultingly basic.

That's all the bad stuff the good side is that it's quite well-written, well-acted, well-drawn, and well-directed. The horror element works by putting the character mostly in very mundane environments and then popping something nasty actually quite disturbing to look at, credit due to the artist on the screen.

Anyway, don't pay more for it than you would if you were renting a horror movie or a paperback book. On reflection it's mostly quite "schlocky" stuff but as is often the case it does feel like more than the sum of its parts at the time.
  38. Sep 14, 2013
    this was the only game that has ever made me cry.
    Absolutely beautiful, recommend for those that are looking for more that just to push a couple controls, it has a brilliant story line and really makes you think, in all ways.
    my all time favorite
  39. Sep 12, 2013
    Censor me, I don't care. This game is Play this game. If the Kings Quest series gave birth to Stephen King's baby this would be it. Dark, disturbing, messed up in the head, and brilliant. If you're looking to be scared with loud noises and quick time events look else where, if you want to be told a truly unnerving story that will leave you thinking long after it's over, here it is. NotCensor me, I don't care. This game is Play this game. If the Kings Quest series gave birth to Stephen King's baby this would be it. Dark, disturbing, messed up in the head, and brilliant. If you're looking to be scared with loud noises and quick time events look else where, if you want to be told a truly unnerving story that will leave you thinking long after it's over, here it is. Not the kind of game that will hold your hand; it can be frustrating at times, but it never feels pointless or repetitive. If this game had AAA production values, it would be discussed as a Game of the Year candidate, without question. Expand
  40. Sep 4, 2013
    If someone was going to pitch you the idea of as game where the main protagonists were a suicidal middle aged lady, an accomplice with a brain tumour and a bunch of cats, you could be excused for hurrying away rather rapidly.
    Thank God the developers saw this project through to the end, because The Cat Lady is an absolute gem.
    The art direction is superb, and the story as it unfolds
    The art direction is superb, and the story as it unfolds touches on the surreal and macabre, taking us to the dark places of the human psyche that no other game I have played ever has before, but at the same time, we see a beautiful relationship developing on screen between the two heroines that is touching and funny. Although at first the rather deliberate delivery of the voice acting seems amateurish, it fits really well with the game as a whole.
    There were some issues with the game however: some overlong conversations without the ability to skip through the dialogue; no facility to replay the different chapters; there were a couple of the puzzles that didn't seem to have any logical solution, just press some buttons and hope; the plotting of the story was a little sloppy here and there. But these pale into insignificance when you take the whole experience into account.
    The Cat Lady is a point where Art and Video Gaming merge.
    I understand that this game has been Greenlit on Steam and I for one wish it every success
  41. Jul 20, 2013
    The cat lady is both a dive into the human soul, as well as a work of art. It will haunt you for a long time after you finished playing it. Strongly recommend to immerse yourself into this experience.
  42. Jul 13, 2013
    The title is a cut and dry "Too Long Didn't Read" version of what I'm about to say. I've read

horror before, and not just scare horror mind you, actual horrifying horror. I've played horror games before as well, but none that really freak me out or give me goosebumps. This game has such ambience to it that if you don't play it with a headset you are missing out on subtle creaks

creaks cracks and whispers.

Warning

This game though two dimensional does have very brief (two sections that I encountered) nudity,

and lots of blood/gore. Do be warned if you're very easily put off by blood or gore it may be

something to consider. There is also a lot of involvement with suicide and

depression, if it is a sensitive subject matter to you you may not (or may) want to play this

game.

The Story (Don't worry no spoilers)

Enough about the horror though, there's clearly a lot of it. The story is where it is at, end of

story. *punintentional* Seriously though as I stated in the title this is similar in style to a

Stephen King novel. In my opinion much better than a number of his works. (trust me I love

Stephen King) It will have you guessing and I mean GUESSING as to what exactly is going to

happen and even at times what is happening in front of your very eyes.

Pros

An immersive story that keeps you wanting, nay, CRAVING more each and every moment. I honestly

couldn't turn this game down and I have many other games I've been itching to get to and play

such as the Bioshock series and Skyrim. Multiple choice adventure wherein you actually CHANGE

the game and how the story unfolds. Honestly, it's not just some choice where it changes a thing

here or there...there's real choices to be made that change EVERYTHING.

Cons

On the down side there are no options to skip dialogue, and with the dialogue a few typos on

rare occasion that take you out of the moment but nothing so game breaking as to be a failure in any way. Also very minor British terminology cultural slang that may be missed out on by her western cousins across the sea. Replayability In terms of replayability there is actually some, considering it is a point and click adventure style you do get multiple choices for which road to follow at times and it does in fact change the game and ending. Summary I personally would rate this game with flawless marks because it is so well crafted, my only annoyance is that I once had to check how to figure out a single puzzle on the internet, but that was my own inability to realize the answer. I would reccomend this game to anyone who loves adventure. To any one who loves to read books as well. Especially to fans of horror and dark subject matter.
  43. Jul 7, 2013
    Oh this is a weird one. Cat Lady has a rough, indie feel and yet it works perfectly to the game's ends. It's like watching a murder on a grainy 8mm film reel or a really worn out VHS tape: the crudeness of it makes you wonder if it might be the real thing.

Conversely, when goth goes mainstream the result is Hot Topic, and why a lot of mainstream horror titles like Alan Wake and Resident Evil just don't work for me. They're too slick and too packaged. They might as well have call-outs on the screen that say "Be Scared Now" or "Feel a Sense of Dread For Next 15 Seconds". Cat Lady feels like it was written by a schizophrenic in the bowels of an asylum.

Just being indie and "crude" is not enough, though. There is a lot of indie crap out there that the anti-mainstream will label as brilliant simply because it's indie. Cat Lady brings the goods. It took a couple hours but the story sucked me in and now it's one of those games I don't want to play because I know eventually it will end.

Many indie titles like Minecraft started out playing in the minor leagues but all the while hoping for mainstream success (and of course, with that game, they found it). But to me, The Cat Lady is exactly what an indie title should be: unafraid and un-apologetically creative, and without ever even the concern of appealing to a mass audience. Bottom line: this is a avant garde video gaming at its finest.
  44. May 18, 2013
    I dont know about this one, tried playing for about 3 hours and just cant get into it, the story is just not all that interesting and there really is no game play to speak of, its walk here walk there, talk to this person, talk to that person, walk some more talk some more, very very slow paced. And as far as what you are supposed to do, no idea, just wander about talk to everyone and tryI dont know about this one, tried playing for about 3 hours and just cant get into it, the story is just not all that interesting and there really is no game play to speak of, its walk here walk there, talk to this person, talk to that person, walk some more talk some more, very very slow paced. And as far as what you are supposed to do, no idea, just wander about talk to everyone and try every reply till someting different happens. With that said, its not a terrible game, but its more like the 39 steps as in an interactive novel more than a game, but 39 steps was much better. Collapse
  45. Mar 23, 2013
    This game stands out in a good way. It has appeal to new generation of gamers with it's easy controls and in a way you can't really mess up in the game. Story is been told in a very good way, but still it maintains its's plots and doesn't give away anything too soon. There really is some heart touching moments in this game and for once, I didn't laugh at babies.
    Visually game is just out
    Visually game is just out of this world. Although game may seem colourless in the trailers and so -it really isn't so. The Cat Lady has a real sense of when to highlight things and make contrast with the elements at hand. And believe me, there are really nice coulurfull scenes in this game!
    As said, the controlling is easy and it has only 5 button interface and it doesn't need more! Puzzles in the game usually are made of combining things you collect straight into the world. There is no need to fiddle with stuff in the inventory. And as I side note, you usually do know where to use your stuff so you won't be having a over-stuffed inventory.
    World of Cat Lady is full of sound. The music played in the game varies from sweet piano melodies to heavy-metal. But don't worry, 'cause all the music has it's place in the game making the story go along and getting you buffed up to do stuff and to just drive you forward. Voice acting is average, but none of the voices do bother you or anything

All an all a good game with great story and visuals. Only complaint could be, that there's too much of the weirdness going on it kinda smothers it self in it from time to time.
    But still, get this game and enjoy something, you've have never before seen
  46. Mar 20, 2013
    I'm going to say straight out this is the best adventure game I have played for a long time. The game and the soundtrack are outstanding. I even found myself emotionally invested throughout, which has never happened before. Its not perfect but close.
  47. May 18, 2013

1. Jan 22, 2014
    If you seek horror, The Cat Lady may sometimes freak you out, though probably not outright scare you. But that horror is in service of a touching character portrait--a portrait that's authentically, poignantly askew.
  2. Jan 16, 2014
    As long as you're not totally put off by the art design, there's no reason to not play The Cat Lady. It is not only one of the best games of the year, it's one of the best horror adventures out there.
  3. Jan 6, 2014
    The strength of The Cat Lady stands in its originality... as long as you are ready for an insane trip. Graphics are not the best we've seen so far, but it's still enough to appreciate the atmosphere and the story of this morbid adventure game.