7.9

1. MrA
    Jun 10, 2009
    Great game overall. Great story, graphics, and gameplay. Escape from Butcher Bay is a classic and deserves to be played by everyone However, Dark Athena leaves you wanting more as it starts off great but goes downhill from there. Also the graphics create a very lit effect which can hurt your eyes if you play too long. Also its said that after being upgraded to next gen there is no save Great game overall. Great story, graphics, and gameplay. Escape from Butcher Bay is a classic and deserves to be played by everyone However, Dark Athena leaves you wanting more as it starts off great but goes downhill from there. Also the graphics create a very lit effect which can hurt your eyes if you play too long. Also its said that after being upgraded to next gen there is no save function only checkpoints. This is somewhat annoying since some parts of the game are free roaming and you have to pass a checkpoint in order to save. Expand
  2. Jan 16, 2011
    To be honest, when i played the Butcher's Bay demo years ago, i thought i won't like this game, but i had to admit that I was wrong :
    With the whole story (not the cut from demo), the good voice cast (play it in english guys!) and the good mix of steal-action-adventure, Riddick game is a succes: some part (sneaking into the dark and kill silently) reminds me Hitman, some others hunt-phase reminds me AvP, and the overal story is as good as a game-from-movie should be..
    Of course, the game is not perfect (keyb assign can be better, also like some secondary caracter's anims), but for a low priced game, i thing we got a very great deal!
    The story from 2004 is also in, so its 2 good game for 1 bought.
    Nice ;)
  3. Jan 22, 2011
    I liked this. Good shooter/sneeker. Not exactly open world but ;evel design reminded a bit of Deus Ex (in structure rather than appearance). Good antidote to the current bout of corridor shooters.
  4. Jan 7, 2012
    absolutely amazing. The storyline is fantastic, the tension is brilliant. Why didn't they hire these guys to make the movies? Lurking in the shadows... waiting to pounce... so much fun. There's only been a few times in my life when I wanted to jump into the game and kick @ss, from an emotional standpoint when the kid's mother is murdered by that prisoner... oh, man I enjoyed beating him toabsolutely amazing. The storyline is fantastic, the tension is brilliant. Why didn't they hire these guys to make the movies? Lurking in the shadows... waiting to pounce... so much fun. There's only been a few times in my life when I wanted to jump into the game and kick @ss, from an emotional standpoint when the kid's mother is murdered by that prisoner... oh, man I enjoyed beating him to death.
    When you find out what the pirates are doing to their captives... that really made me want to kill every last one of them. While there is a strong stealth aspect to the game, I made it a point to go and kill every last one of those space pirates.
  5. May 7, 2012
    Anybody who panned this game is friggin' retarded. Very evocative of the movies, extremely enjoyable to play, very little to complain about. Fighting is visceral and enjoyable, environments are engrossing and if you buy it in a bundle with the original game it's an exceptional value. Throws a few curve balls to shake you out of complacency, and there is as much fun to be had stealthingAnybody who panned this game is friggin' retarded. Very evocative of the movies, extremely enjoyable to play, very little to complain about. Fighting is visceral and enjoyable, environments are engrossing and if you buy it in a bundle with the original game it's an exceptional value. Throws a few curve balls to shake you out of complacency, and there is as much fun to be had stealthing around as running and gunning. What I enjoyed the most is the game starts with you being incarcerated in a super-max prison that no-one should be able to escape -- and after you do just that the lengths your captors go to contain you just get wilder and wilder from there. There are a couple of moments in this game I will NEVER forget -- and that's saying something. Great bargain, great game, great fun. Expand
  6. RibsR
    Apr 22, 2009
    Love it! It's not quite as good as butcher bay, but still manages to stay true to itself. I love the atmosphere and the gameplay is fantastic! There are quite a few bugs that they need to work out, but that doesnt take away from this great game. + and Butcher Bay is included! maybe not such a plus for those who already had butcher bay... I'm still very impressed.
  7. LuisV
    Apr 24, 2009
    Great setting, play mechanics, story. Different than the average shooter. Needs some improvements, but definitely worth picking up.
  8. RamonA
    Dec 12, 2009
    One of the few movie games that stays true to the movie Butcher Bay is a must play, atleast. However Dark Athena uses to many instances where guns are required to still have the "Riddick" flavor.
  9. Sep 6, 2012
    Great game... I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just like its predecessor, there's lots of stealth, combat, cliffhangers, great story and writing, fairly difficult enemies, etc. And this time around there's a wee damsel in distress to save... what's better than that?? The game is reasonably short so easy to get it over with and back to real life. (i personally hate games that go on and onGreat game... I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just like its predecessor, there's lots of stealth, combat, cliffhangers, great story and writing, fairly difficult enemies, etc. And this time around there's a wee damsel in distress to save... what's better than that?? The game is reasonably short so easy to get it over with and back to real life. (i personally hate games that go on and on interminably.. some of us have real lives, you know!)

there were a few bugs (upon entering a level, the lighting is wrong.. fixed by reloading the checkpoint).. but nothing serious..
  10. May 10, 2012
    Super game in all respects. The grapics were clear, even though a bit too dark at times. The plot was complex to the point that I needed a walkthrough to get through Escape from Butcher Bay. The best thing about both games was that cut scenes were kept to a minimum so that the game moved fast.
  11. Sep 3, 2011
    My my, better than the movie. graphics aren't the best, but for the 5 dollars I paid for this game, it's quite good. Hand to hand combat is fun, but some firefights do loose the riddicky feel.
  12. ChrisM
    Dec 27, 2009
    V-good game graphics are ok gameplay (keeps the Riddick feel but looses it in the firefights) generally overall gd game.
  13. SergeT
    Jun 17, 2009
    I'm just rating it so high to counteract the tool who gave it a three because it was "overpriced." Rate based on the game, tool, not the price tag.
  14. Dec 1, 2011
    Immerse yourself in the role of Riddick...the baddest **** in the universe. Two games in this package make it a great value. It's pretty much like playing in a movie--a very cool sci-fi experience. The gameplay offers a typical run and gun shooter with some stealth aspects from Splinter Cell. Graphics and voice acting are both top notch, plus it's controller enabled. Both the story andImmerse yourself in the role of Riddick...the baddest **** in the universe. Two games in this package make it a great value. It's pretty much like playing in a movie--a very cool sci-fi experience. The gameplay offers a typical run and gun shooter with some stealth aspects from Splinter Cell. Graphics and voice acting are both top notch, plus it's controller enabled. Both the story and level design are a little on the linear side, but it's a fun game and worth a playthrough. Expand
  15. Oct 27, 2013
    The fact that this contains the phenomenal "butcher bay" gives it an automatic 10. The Dark athena parts are also excellent and have a stronger focus on melee which suits the game very well. The characters aren't as well rounded and interesting as Butcher bay but he extra additions to the mechanics of the game are very welcome.
  16. Apr 15, 2015
    Slightly worse than the previous game and not as memorable, but in all other aspects, it's basically the same game. The story is a little worse, but the gameplay is still a mix of action and stealth and it is as fun as in the first game. It's just not as good as Escape from Butcher Bay, though. 8/10

However, I got Escape from Butcher Bay in the first place because it is included in this game for free, so all in all, it's a great deal and a really good bundle. The gameplay reminded me of Deus Ex, so if you liked that series, this one may interest you as well, even though it's nowhere near as complex as far as game mechanics are concerned.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena gets stuck in one gear for too long. Even though the game has many same aspects as the great Escape from Butcher Bay, the pacing is bad and the action forces you to run through the same corridors over and over again. The included Escape from Butcher Bay is still a masterpiece, however. [Mar 2009]
  2. PC Gamer
    A brutally enjoyable stealth shooter that revisits and builds on the success of the original Escape from Butcher Bay. [May 2009, p.84]
  3. Total PC Gaming
    Not in any way groundbreaking, but two games in one and hugely entertaining nonetheless. [Issue#18, p.52]