The Darkness II PC

7.6

1. Jul 18, 2014
    Definitely worth your time. It's a great-looking game if you love graphic novels, and they absolutely nailed the painted comic style. As comic-esque games go, only Dishonored and The Wolf Among Us achieved this kind of look successfully (although TWAU emulates an inked style rather than a painted one). The arm movements can seem a little wooden at times, but that's only in sharp contrastDefinitely worth your time. It's a great-looking game if you love graphic novels, and they absolutely nailed the painted comic style. As comic-esque games go, only Dishonored and The Wolf Among Us achieved this kind of look successfully (although TWAU emulates an inked style rather than a painted one). The arm movements can seem a little wooden at times, but that's only in sharp contrast because the animation of microexpressions is so good. While a lot of the NPCs' character springs from the voice acting, the animation is no small part of the overall effect. Environments and clothing are lovingly constructed. While the backstreets and warehouses can feel pretty lacklustre, other locations such as Jackie's mansion are a pleasure to behold.

The game can feel a little cramped with such a tight field of view. It's hard to ever feel like combat is going really smoothly, and I found it to be a mostly clumsy affair. There's a reward for headshots, in that time slows down for a couple of seconds after a direct hit so you can chain headshot after headshot and remain in slo-mo the whole time.

I strongly recommend a Xbox-style controller for this game. The whole control system is built around dual-wielded guns via the triggers and Jackie's demonic appendages via the shoulder buttons, and it couldn't feel as good with kb/m.
  2. Feb 18, 2012
    A game that has its moments, love the art style and graphics in the game and the story is for the most part quite good and is very well narrated. The love story is convincing and i actually did feel part of the pain he must have been going thru. But the irritating weapons system, where it was way to easy to accidentally pic up and replace new weapons combined with the last few chapters ofA game that has its moments, love the art style and graphics in the game and the story is for the most part quite good and is very well narrated. The love story is convincing and i actually did feel part of the pain he must have been going thru. But the irritating weapons system, where it was way to easy to accidentally pic up and replace new weapons combined with the last few chapters of the game where the story telling took a huge downturn makes this game subpar. Its like the first "The Crow" movie just with tentacles and without a good and satisfying ending. Expand
  3. Feb 13, 2012
    The darkness 2 is about as good as the darkness 1. Which is to say the darkness 2 is fantastic. While on the pc, the controls get a bit cluttered and it's pc-feature light. The core game is great. From some interesting storytelling, to frantic and diverse action - the game is a delight to play. It's painfully short however. Running about 5 hours or slightly less. Visually it's better andThe darkness 2 is about as good as the darkness 1. Which is to say the darkness 2 is fantastic. While on the pc, the controls get a bit cluttered and it's pc-feature light. The core game is great. From some interesting storytelling, to frantic and diverse action - the game is a delight to play. It's painfully short however. Running about 5 hours or slightly less. Visually it's better and worse than the original, the comic book look suits it better - however you lose some of the grit and bleakness as a result. If this was about twice the length with the same pacing - it would be a 9/10. As it stands. 7/10. HIGHLY Reccomended on a sale. Expand
  4. Feb 10, 2012
    This game is one of the most unique games out there that you can find. Yes, It's not only unique for an FPS but unique as a game. The FOV problem that we've heard so much about never bothered me, but it can still be a hindrance for others. Although the game is very solid playing on the PC, It still feels a bit more like a port from a console than a full PC game. The Vendettas Co-OpThis game is one of the most unique games out there that you can find. Yes, It's not only unique for an FPS but unique as a game. The FOV problem that we've heard so much about never bothered me, but it can still be a hindrance for others. Although the game is very solid playing on the PC, It still feels a bit more like a port from a console than a full PC game. The Vendettas Co-Op mode seems like a last minute decision in order to cover the lost for the short main campaign, but it is still is a fun experience. Hopefully, Digital Extreme will make a patch and fix the problems. Expand
  5. Mar 16, 2012
    It's a common gameplay that got me bored in the Demo, since it's predictable. Sounds like a good story, but like a lot of games (Deus EX, Assassin's Creed), it's just a repetition of the basics you learn in the beginning. When you learn the fastest way to earn most points, you will always do it.
  6. Mar 30, 2012
    I loved The Darkness for Xbox. Amazing game. In this sequel, the story is preserved, the pacing is great, the graphics are fun, the game play is fun. The whole concept of quad-wielding I laughed at initially, but it was put into play amazingly well. The story progressed well enough, if not being a little short. The characters were reasonable, but a little flat compared to the last game. II loved The Darkness for Xbox. Amazing game. In this sequel, the story is preserved, the pacing is great, the graphics are fun, the game play is fun. The whole concept of quad-wielding I laughed at initially, but it was put into play amazingly well. The story progressed well enough, if not being a little short. The characters were reasonable, but a little flat compared to the last game. I really just had fun with the engine and cutting people in two with my tentacle slash. The ending is an obvious tie-in for a sequel, though, rather than tying up the game nicely. Story could've used some depth. Expand
  7. Nov 6, 2012
    An interesting idea for a game. Tanks For That really bloody, so many players will feel joy, to do so in a way, addictive gameplay, and a great atmosphere. What do you expect more? I wish 2K had not used until the end of the title, the graphics really hurts sometimes, after a long time the game starts to get bored, this is the coop, just a pity that it is so hard to play with someone andAn interesting idea for a game. Tanks For That really bloody, so many players will feel joy, to do so in a way, addictive gameplay, and a great atmosphere. What do you expect more? I wish 2K had not used until the end of the title, the graphics really hurts sometimes, after a long time the game starts to get bored, this is the coop, just a pity that it is so hard to play with someone and he also gets bored after a long time. The game is still really fun, and you may like it. My Rating - 7.5 / 10 Expand
  8. Jan 11, 2013
    One of the shortest AAA games I have ever played. The animations and effects (especially blood spatter) are extremely poor and the cartoon style graphics just look bad. Fortunately the voice acting is actually quite well done but other sounds are pretty bad. Yet, despite all these shortcomings, it was still kinda fun to take out your enemies in insanely gruesome ways. I did enjoy it someOne of the shortest AAA games I have ever played. The animations and effects (especially blood spatter) are extremely poor and the cartoon style graphics just look bad. Fortunately the voice acting is actually quite well done but other sounds are pretty bad. Yet, despite all these shortcomings, it was still kinda fun to take out your enemies in insanely gruesome ways. I did enjoy it some of the time, but yes it is repetitive. Expand
  9. Feb 16, 2012
    This is a fairly entertaining game with lots of action and pretty good graphics. The story, even though violent and gloomy, was somewhat unique. The cut scenes, however, were too frequent and occasionally annoying. Overall, Darkness II wasn't quite as good as the other games recently released at this price level. I suggest waiting until the price drops a bit before buying this game.
  10. Feb 23, 2012
    An overall upgrade to the 5 year old franchise, the darkness 2 provides a fun fps experience albeit the rather short playing time.

The core and best part of the game involve using your darkness abilities to decimate your enemies. From picking up objects and tossing them at your foes to performing executions, every battle is up for grabs. Sure you can just gun your way through the game but what would be the fun in that? Upgrading your powers with experience will want you to get the most from your kills, as the more unique the kill the more you get.

The story is not as good as the first, leaving you with a rather cliffhanger ending that pretty much needs either DLC or a Darkness 3 (hopefully in less that 5 years).

Some stumbling blocks that the Darkness 2 encounters are the lack of variety in enemies and length, you could easily finish the game in less that 5 hours. The odd use of cell-shaded graphics leaves a mixed bag, it is not overly "cartooned" but some scenes seem less brutal using this.

The co-op is a fresh step, get a group of friends and the experience in the side campaign is a blast though on the short side.

If you are looking for a fresh unique fps then this should get you your fill but don't expect fireworks. Can't say I would recommend this game at full price though because of the length.
  11. Sep 4, 2012
    Pros: Very fun game to play...single player took about 6 hours roughly. Cons: CO OP was over in 2 hours!!!!!!! I bought this game strictly to play co op....thinking I was going to get something to have fun with for at least a few hours...I was sadly mistaken....Whatever you do DO NOT pay full price for this game - wait until its real cheap on Steam or you will be kicking yourself after youPros: Very fun game to play...single player took about 6 hours roughly. Cons: CO OP was over in 2 hours!!!!!!! I bought this game strictly to play co op....thinking I was going to get something to have fun with for at least a few hours...I was sadly mistaken....Whatever you do DO NOT pay full price for this game - wait until its real cheap on Steam or you will be kicking yourself after you see how short it is....this game could have been a AAA title had they put more effort into longer campaign - and the co op almost feels like a demo due to being over so short. Expand
  12. Aug 28, 2012
    Pretty great game there are some minor port issues like no graphics options, but it's still one of the best games to be released in the last year. Get it, you won't be disappoint.
  13. ave
    Nov 6, 2015
    I didn't know the Darkness comic book before playing this game, but I think the developers did a good job transposing the universe.

The "shooting" part of the gameplay is decent-to-good (weapons are pretty classic) and the real meat of the game / twist of the genre comes from the supernatural powers granted by the Darkness, in shape of two "snakes" on both side of the screen. During the shooting, you can do things with the snakes like grabbing, throwing, destroying, slashing, etc. The controls are a little bit complex to manage at first, but you'll eventually get used to it and it's really fun.

An interesting game mechanic is tied to light : the Darkness hates the light, so when you're exposed to it, you temporarily lose your powers - this leads to interesting level layout (otherwise pretty linear), light deactivation puzzles and even enemy types carrying light to weaken you. Now we're talking challenge.

The game follows a single storyline, that has many twists and turns that will deepen it, and eventually question you up to the ending where you take the final decision, depending on your perception of the events. Even if the cinematics / dialogs are a little bit long, I found this final part rewarding.
  14. Sep 2, 2014
    While the story is quite strong and action of the game is different and fun, I could never quite get in to this game due to the slightly repetitive fighting and poor check points.
  15. Apr 3, 2013
    Still a pretty good game afterall, even if it was released in 2011. A good shooter, nice graphics. But lack of support makes me think that the series should be discontinued soon..
    Came together with a retail pre-order of BioShock Infinite. Without the DLC makes me feel sad for the game in overall. It could really have been better. All thanks to 2K.
    The ending was really bad and not to my
    The ending was really bad and not to my liking, instead some of the characters shouldn't have died in the plot.
    If the next sequel would to come out, it would definitely be on my list.
  16. Sep 12, 2014
    it's a decent game played the right way. playing it as a run and gun fps is not the way to go. the use of the demon-arm powers is innovative and makes for interesting game play. the graphic and art style is very film noir (think Max Payne/LA Noire crossed with borderlands). however, the levels are pretty linear and once the novelty of the various demon-arm combat moves wears off, theit's a decent game played the right way. playing it as a run and gun fps is not the way to go. the use of the demon-arm powers is innovative and makes for interesting game play. the graphic and art style is very film noir (think Max Payne/LA Noire crossed with borderlands). however, the levels are pretty linear and once the novelty of the various demon-arm combat moves wears off, the fighting isn't spectacular. the story-line is ok and the voice-acting decent. main gripe is that the game play is really way too short (completed on hitman difficulty in slightly less than 10 hours). not worth the full release/retail price but can be considered if on sale. Expand
  17. May 22, 2017
    Despite the painfully short length, The Darkness II gives light to itself with a welcoming new graphical style, an intriguing story and enjoyable gunplay, yet it lacks the essential depth that makes a game great.
  18. Oct 27, 2016
    Didnt know anything bout Darkness franchise before going into this and was a bit skeptical, but got decently suprised how good this game is. Not the biggest fan of the cell shaded graphics, but they work fine in this game and most importantly game runs smooth from start to finish. Gameplay was also suprisingly solid with enough satisfying gunplay. The idea of being a mob boss with evilDidnt know anything bout Darkness franchise before going into this and was a bit skeptical, but got decently suprised how good this game is. Not the biggest fan of the cell shaded graphics, but they work fine in this game and most importantly game runs smooth from start to finish. Gameplay was also suprisingly solid with enough satisfying gunplay. The idea of being a mob boss with evil dark powers who has lost his true love and is being tormented by it was something original in game for me. Story also goes goes into a area where you must question what is reality and whats fiction. Jackie himself and his side kick Darkling are very likeable characters. Voice acting was also very nicely done for most of the characters. Using your evil powers efectively in combat took a bit of time to get used to, but once you do its a blast to play.

In the end very good game with a bit of a sequel bait in the ending which i hope we'll see someday.
  19. Feb 27, 2014
    A fun, enjoyable shooter. If you`re looking to play an FPS but don`t want CoD/BF experience, you can always play The Darkness II. This game is original, interesting and challenging for the first 12-13 hours. I would summ it up as smoething different, you know, such as Borderlands is for the FPS genre and that is becaouse I give it 8 out of 10.

GAMEPLAY It is one of the better sides of

GAMEPLAY
    It is one of the better sides of this title. There are enough guns to keep the shooting interesting and the gunplay itself is fun. Every gun is a little different so the player can customize his inventory to certain situations. In addition, you can dual wield just about any two guns, be it the same type or different.
    You can shoot freehand or you can aim down the sights, both modes are ok. Ofcourse there`s no selecting between burst/singleshot modes but this is nothing that would take away from the gunplay.
    Gun animations such as reloading and arming are also there and well made. No real flaws here.

AI, as this is mostly a singleplayer game, should be at least ok. IMO it is ok. There are many different types of cannonfodder here, so you have to change weapons and killing ways to make it interesting long enough. The enemies change their positions, take cover and move a lot. If I had any complaints here, it would be that they are too tough, especially in the later parts of the game.

Here I come to the biggest flaw of this game. The levels are different and interesting, but no longer than after 2,5 hours the game ditches the changes of environment and just throws more and more enemies at you in different combinations. There are lot of scripts where the drones appear from different directions and spots and you can`t tell when this happens. As a result, you often end up encircled by enemies you thought you killed just moments ago. At about half through the singleplayer mode, this tends to get silly with waves and waves of enemies thrown at you, and you are repeatedly outnumbered with little ammo to spare. Even worse, those drones almost everytime come with guys who flash their lights at you, making you blind and ripped off your special powers. That doesn`t make the experience any better and just iritated me, because I very often felt underpowered, had to retreat and hide just not to die. Hardly the experience of an evil guy with mad superpowers.

Lastly, the "tentacles" of Darkness are very cool, giving great interesting skills, many kill animations. Howegver as said above, the game itself often prevents the player from using them, which is a bad choice.

The player is given some special abilities like creating a black hole. Most of them are "meh" but I wouldn`t sum it up as needless. They don`t make the game any worse, at times they make it better, so why not.

STORY
    It is something I`ve never seen before and I liked it a lot. Jackie as the protagonist is very cool. You are the evil one who is making carnage everywhere. Everyone`s afraid of you. At the same time Jenny makes you show your human side whenever she appears. There are some different missions with classic "kill xxx drones and reach the level boss" style and there are some not fighting levels like the asylum where the player mostly talks with othere characters. Switching between the two makes the player really confused as to what is factually going on and that is a very good thing. The story swallowed me whole thanks to this and some of the memorable characters (Jackie`s henchmen).
    I finished the story in 8 hours, I rate it as good overall.

GRAPHICS
    Playing through the game in 2014, I did not see anything particulary wrong here. The game is pretty, textures are ok. Guns and levels look good, character models are well detailed. Nothing like Far Cry 3 or Crysis but at the same time nothing that would take away from the enjoyment.

1. Apr 22, 2012
    The Darkness II is a decent shooter, but there is nothing in it that is amazing; it's respectable but mostly predictable.
    The Darkness II is indeed short, but it does achieve part of its goals: a few fun hours for a rainy spring afternoon, with some interesting characters, a dark story and, most of all, two demonic arms always hungry for beating hearts.
  3. Mar 13, 2012
    Exhilarating in its opening sequence, The Darkness 2 quickly loses steam and turns into a 5-hour run through a long corridor.